Early Settlers of Ontario Co., NY
excerpted from the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass
Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893;
Town of Bristol
The Town of Bristol was formed in Jan. 1789 named for Bristol
Connecticut from whence came many of its pioneers.
The settlement of the town began in 1788, at which time several
brothers named Gooding came to the region, made an improvement on lot
No. 1, in the northeast corner of the town, sowed wheat and planted
turnips, and then,
with the exception of Elnathan Gooding, all returned east to spend the
and prepare for an early return in the next spring. Mr. Gooding
a veteran of the Revolution and a man of much influence in the new
settlement. He was by trade a blacksmith and was the first
supervisor of the town.
In 1788 George Codding and his family located in the northeast
portion of town. He was the father of five sons: - John, George,
Farmer, Burt, and William. Others were Capt. Peter Pitts, William
Pitts, Calvin Jacobs, John Smith, and James Gooding, all as early as
1792 and some in 1789. Seth Simmons settled in 1798. Alden
Sears came in 1792. Thomas Hunn opened a school in 1790 and the
same year Gameliel Wilder built a grist mill. Three years later
in 1793 Stephen Sisson opened a store and
a public house.
Cornelius McCrum was the 1st white child born in the town.
Daniel Taylor came in 1804. Fauce Codding was an early dealer
in cattle. Marcius Marsh settled about 1796; Abijah Spencer in
1789. In 1797 Dr. Thomas Vincent came from Geneva and Hezekiah
Hills also settled in 1797. Burt Codding and John Whitmarsh came
in 1791; Ephriam Wilder in 1793. Theopholis Short, the first
brickmaker, came in 1796; Eleazer Hill in 1794; John Taylor in 1797,
Samuel Mallory in 1797. Other early settlers were John Crow in
1794; John Trafton in 1797; and Oliver Mitchell. Alden Sears came in
1792; Aaron Wheeler in 1798; and Samuel Torrence in
1800; Aaron Hicks in 1795; John Simmons in 1792; John Kent in 1795;
Jones in 1802. Seth Jones was a tavern-keeper at Baptist Hill as
Other early settlers were William Francis in 1800; Soloman Goodale,
the Baptist minister, in 1802; Luther Phillips, an early shoemaker, in
Job Gooding in 1794 and afterwards Joshua Reed and Nathaniel
Cudworth. Samuel Andrews came in 1791; Benjamin Andrews in 1796;
Zephaniah Gooding in 1798; John Phillips in 1800; Thomas Gooding in
In 1797 David Simmons came and in the same year came Ephraim,
Raymond and Constance Simmons, all of the same family. Jeremiah
settled in 1800; Asa James about 1801; Philip Simmons in 1805; Capt.
Barber in 1796 or '97.
Other early settlers were Nathan Fisher who located near Baptist
1795; Abijah Warren in 1805; Rufus Whitmarsh in 1806; Jonas and Joseph
came a little earlier James Case in 1800; and John Case in 1802.
Austin and Eliakim Walker also settled early. Daniel Smith came in 1800
Tisdell Walker in 1802. John Mason settled in 1801; Sylvanus
and John Crandell in 1802; Azer Jackson and Elias Jackson in 1803
George Reed and Ephraim Jones in 1805.
Ephraim Wilder was the pioneer in Bristol Center where he built a
he kept a public house or tavern, started a distillery and otherwise
the foundation of the hamlet. Abijah Spencer and Major Jones were
residents. Horace and Allen Hooker opened the first store
followed by one Bradbury. George Gooding also had a store and
kept a hotel. The pioneer blacksmith was Learned Jackson; the
tanner was Isaac Mason followed by by Abijah Warren. Other early
residents were Zenas Briggs, Mr.
Pool, Antony Low and one Warrells, a cabinetmaker.
The hamlet called Baptist Hill - the correct name being Bristol - is
located in the northern part. Early residents were a Mr. Hunt,
and Dr. Jacob Gillett. Aaron Van Orman was the first blacksmith,
Luther Taylor the first tavern-keeper. Stephen Sisson built the
frame house which was used as a store and tavern. John Baker was
hotel-keeper and early merchants were William Doyle and Mr.
Frank Hicks had a harness shop.
In 1797, with justices of the peace, Gameliel Wilder and George
Codding, presiding, the first officers elected were:
Supervisor - William Gooding
Town clerk - John Codding
Assessors - Faunce Codding, Nathan Allen, Nathaniel Fisher
Commissioners of highways - James Gooding, Jabez Hicks, Moses Porter
Constables - Amos Barber, Nathan Allen, Alden Sears jr.
Overseers of the poor - George Codding jr., Stephen Sisson
Overseers of the highways - Eleazer Hills, Peter Ganyard, Theophilus
Allen, Elnathan Gooding, John Simmons and Amos Barber;
School commissioners - Aaron Rice, Ephraim Wilder, Nathaniel Fisher
Collectors - Amos Barber, Nathan Hatch
Town of Canadice
The town of Canadice was formed April 15, 1829. Settlement was
about 1795 when Aaron Hunt, accompanied by Jacob Holdren, made an
In 1804 from Vermont came Gideon and John Walker and Josiah Jackman who
improvements and returned east for the winter. The next spring
brought their families and became permanent settlers.
Other early settlers were John Wilson and Simeon Stevens.
Ezekiel and Frederick Wilson and Ebenezer Kimball came in 1807.
Others who came
as early as 1808 were John Phillips, Seth Knowles, David Badgro, Reuben
Justus Grout from Vermont, Butler Lewis, John Leggatt, James and Jesse
(a famous fiddler).
Later settlers were William Gould - a Vermont Revolutionary War
soldier - Sylvanus Stacy, Abram Stacy, James Button, Ebenezer Ingraham
and his sons,
Abel and Andrew; John Alger, and John Willson. Ezra Davis was a
and also the town undertaker.
Other heads of families were James Anderson, John Richardson in
Chilson in 1810, Jesse Ballard, Samuel Bentley, Cornelius Johnson,
and Samuel Hogan in 1809, Albert Finch and Luther Gould in 1810, Moses
Samuel Wilson, Bartlett Clark, Timothy Parker, Nathan Beers, Darius
Tobias Finch, Robert Wilson, John Winch, S. B. Spencer, William Gould,
Bailey, John Darling, Harry Armstrong, Homer Blake, John Edgett and
Also settling a little later were William Utley, Cornelius Holden,
James Hull, Elisha Hewitt, John Wheeler, Preston Thayer in 1820, Joseph
S. Spencer, James Bowker, Norman and David Butler in 1815, Isaac
Sergeant, Jehiel Spicer in 1812, Reuben Cole, John Cole, David Tibbals
in 1818, Hezekiah Cole, William
Burns, William Sullivan, Deacon Benoni Hogans in 1812, James Hyde, Amos
in 1813, Shadrach Ward, James Bemis, Henry Amstrong, John Kelley in
Daniel Knowles, Peter Welch, Hiram and Samuel Hogans, John Green,
Mann, George and James Adams, Jonathan Chaplin, Elijah Parker, James
William Clare, Jacob Cannon, Thomas Peabody, Asa Bushnell, Abram McKee,
Stanwood, Robt. Baldwin and Green Waite.
In 1814 came Ebenezer and Samuel Knapp, James Seeley, Jedediah
Howland, Eli Darling, Dr. Williams, John Reeves, Jabez Hicks, James
Bennett, Charles Hyde, Amos Jones, John Bourn, Rufus Garey, Alden
Wheelock, Benjamin Jersey and Andrew Wemett.
In 1815 came Benjamin, Philip, and Peter Snyder; Jonathan Waters and
Granby. Other settlers of early date include Alvin Anderson, John Ray,
Prior, E. Weed, Rev. Silas Reynolds, Abel Eastman, Mathew Standish,
Johnson, Abram D. Patterson, Daniel Peabody, Joshua Herrick, Reuben
David Phillips, Levi Walling, Robert Callister, John Simmons, Isaac and
Smith, Joseph Lobell, Jesse Stewart, Thomas Johnson, Amos Peck, Jenks
Enoch Macomber, Orange Potter, Ephraim Tucker, Nathaniel Bearmore,
Davis, Andrew Hampton, Jonas Quick, Benjamin Conklin, Daniel Beardsley,
Beckwith, Abiather Phillips, Asa Farrar, James and Henry Hewitt, and
War of 1812 Soldiers:- David Badgro, Jesse Brown, Albert Finch,
Luther Gould, Capt. Grandy, Justus Grout, Laban Howland, Cornelius
Johnson, James and John Kelly, Ira Kimball, Joseph King, Morris North,
Daniel Norton, Jonas
Quick, Silas Reynolds, Amasa and Jonathan Richardson, Robert, Samuel,
William Smith, Ora and Ira Spencer, George Struble, David Tibbals,
and Green Waite, Andrew Ward and Frederick Westbrook.
Town of Canandaigua
As of Oct. 1788
Col. Hugh Maxwell - Samuel Whedon - Frederick Saxton - William
Capt. Cleveland - Phinehas Blodgett - Ransom Smith - Mr. Curtis -
- Robert White - Adner Hickox - John Fanning - William Ewing - Henry
- Andrew Evers - Benoni Taylor - near the outlet - Cornelius Decker -
Jones - E. Phelps - John Culver - David Bailey - James Parmeter -
Boughton - Sewell and Othniel Gilbert - James Dugan and Rees Stevens.
As of 1789
Gen. Israel Chapin - Nathaniel Gorham Jr. - Benjamin Gardner -
- Daniel Brainerd - Martin Dudley and William Walker.
Samuel Gardner opened the first store; Major Willis taught first school
beginning 1792; First birth, Oliver Phelps Rice 1790;
First death, Caleb Walker 1790.
First medical men of the town were Moses Atwater and his brother,
Jeremiah Atwater; Samuel Dungan and William A. Williams; all of whom
there before 1800; Moses Atwater having settled in 1791.
First town meeting April 1791, following town officers were elected:
Supervisor: Israel Chapin; Town clerk: James D. Fish;
Assessors: John Call, Enos Boughton, Seth Reed, Nathan Cumstock,
James Austin, Arnold Potter and Nathaniel Norton; Collectors:
Phineas Bates and John Codding; Overseers of the poor: Israel
Chapin and Nathaniel Gorham; Commissioners of the highways:
Othniel Taylor, Joseph Smith, Benjamin Wells; Constables, Nathaniel
Sanburn, Jared Boughton and Phineas Pierce; Overseers of highways:
James Latta, Joshua Whitney, John Swift, Daniel Gates, Jabez French,
Gameliel Wilder, Abner Barlow, Isaac Hathaway, Hezekiah Boughton, Eber
Norton, William Gooding and John D. Robinson.
Over in the east part of the town, near the foot of the lake, at an
early day dwelt pioneers Samuel Rogers, Artemas Lincoln and Charles
Grimes, the latter the owner of a fulling and cloth mill; John Van
Orman, Liberty Day, Elihu Tupper, Lyman and Arnold Hays; Judah Colt,
the first sheriff of the county.
North of the foot of the lake were a number of families:
Zachariah Tiffany, the Cassarts and Shulers, the Faurots and
Sanders. Also pioneers, DeBow and Latting.
West of there settlements made by: Caleb Gage, Thomas Pike,
Joseph Canfield, Stephen Bishop, John Gage, Levi Brockelbank, Chandler
Burger, James Reeves, a wheelwright; Eliphalet Taylor, Oliver Glover,
Charles Cassart, and William Curtis.
In the northern part of the town, in the locality which has for many
years been know as Paddleford, there settled at an early day:
by name of Price, Hudson, Walker, Tilton and Marble.
Southeast of the village of Canandaigua was settled early by:
Lemuel Castle in 1789; John Sutherland, Seth Holcomb in 1792; Ebenezer
Williams, Captain George Hickox, in 1793 and a soldier of the War of
1812; Joseph Van Orman, Daniel Case, Giles Mitchell and Hugh Jameson.
The country around Centerfield was also settled early by:
Colonel Thaddeus Remington and Abner Barlow in 1790; David Hawley, Noah
Heacock, Jesse Miller, Isaac Morse - better known as "Papa" Morse; Enos
and Henry Hawley, Stephen Ward, Charles and Oliver Johnson, Harvey
Steele and Oliver Rose whose brother, Justus Rose, joined him in
opening a store
As early as 1796 Rev. Hamilton Jefferson formed a Methodist
at Centerfield and among its early members were: Roswell and
Root, Ambrose and Lydia Phelps, and Sarah Moore. A class was
in 1808 at Sand Hill and some members were: John Johnson,
Cassart, Zachariah Tiffany and wife, Betsey Knapp; and Catherine DeBow.
In 1832, the Congregationalists organized a society under the
ministrations of Rev. Silas Brown, Robert Hill and Edward
Bronson. Among the early communicants of Trinity parish of the
Episcopal church - organized 1832 - were George H. Wheeler, Linus Gunn,
James Blair and wife, Asa Hawley and wife, Orlando Morse, Ashbel Tuttle
and wife, Dr. Thomas Williams, Samuel Shrope and Thaddeus Remington.
South of Centerfield: Rev. Zadoc Hunn in 1795; died 1801; Seba
Case in 1794; Elijah Tillotson and George Goodman. East of these
pioneers were families: Spencer, Taylor, Moore, Root, Castle,
Bunnell, Butler and Mack.
Along the west side of the lake came: Israel Reed, Miles
Lewis, Levi Rowley, Epaphratus Nott, Christian Seaman, and the Eatons.
In the extreme southeast part of the town is situated what was
originally known as the Academy tract and the first settler in 1810 was
Santliff. During the next 3 years land was occupied by:
James Currier, John Penoyer, Jonathan Croker, William Warren, Solomon
Riggs, William Holmes, Elias Bascom, Robert McGill, the Widow Holmes
and other heads of families named: Olds, Gordon, Bullard and
Dickerson. The first hotel was established by Benjamin Hight,
later kept by Joseph Coy.
Cheshire was early known as "Rowley's school-house" because a school
was built on lands of John Rowley who settled in 1795. Other
pioneers were: Peter Atwell and E. Nott; Milton Gillett, Levi
Beebe, Jonathan Mack, William Bacon and Stephen Ward. Some early
merchants were: William King, Israel Parshall, Delano &
Green, Lorenzo Tillotson, Harman Cooley, Ralph Hunter and Isaac
Webster. Joseph Israel opened a hotel in 1818. The Baptist
Church society was organized in the year 1800 and early members
were: John Rowley, Hugh Jameson, Lemuel Castle,
Eli Butler, Fairbanks Morse, Solomon Gould, Jeremiah Miller, David
John Freeman and wife Charity Castle; Rebecca Rowley, Chloe Butler and
Village of Canandaigua
The first house, a small log structure, was erected on lot one in
1788 by John Decker Robison, to be occupied by William Walker, the
resident agent for Phelps and Gorham. During the same season
other houses were built for James D. Fish and Joseph Smith.
In the spring of 1789, several pioneers, headed by General Israel
Chapin, came to the village. General Chapin was the local agent
Six Nation Indians, and was a man of much authority and prominence in
region. With him came Nathaniel Gorham, jr., Frederick Saxton,
Gates and Benjamin Gardner. Other early residents of the village
Nathaniel Sanborn and family, Judah Colt (the first sheriff); Daniel
Martin Dudley, Thaddeus Chapin, Phineas and Stephen Bates, Orange
Moses and Jeremiah Atwater, Samuel Dungan, Dr. William A. Williams, and
The first framed house was built in 1792 occupied by Oliver
Phelps. Oliver Phelps was born in Windsor CT in 1750; in 1788 he
Nathaniel Gorham and they represented a group of speculators of the
connected with the purchase of the so-called Massachusetts lands in
NY. Oliver Phelps died in Canandaigua February 21, 1809.
Among the first merchants were Samuel Gardner, Thaddeus Chapin,
Davis, Thomas Beals, Joseph Smith and Luther Cole. Early
were: Nathaniel Sanborn, Freeman Atwater, and Phineas
Early medical men were Drs. Moses Atwater in 1791; Jeremiah Atwater,
Dungan in 1797; and William A. Williams in 1793. The local tailor
Abijah Peters; the gunsmith of the community was William Antis. The
leaders in the movement for incorporation of the village
were: John Greig, James Smedley, Jasper Parrish, Elisha B.
Strong, and John A.
Stevens; the village was incorporated in 1815. First elected
were: Trustees - James Smedley, Thaddeus Chapin, Dr. Moses
Nathaniel W. Howell and Phineas P.
Bates; Assessors: Jasper Parrish, Asa Stanley, Freeman Atwater,
Abner Barlow and John A. Stevens; Treasurer: Thomas Beals;
Collector: Benjamin Waldron; Clerk: Myron Holley.
Town of East Bloomfield
The pioneer settlement of East Bloomfield was begun in 1789.
Earliest settler was Deacon John Adams and his sons: John,
William, Abner, Jonathan,
and Joseph; his sons-in-law Epraim Rew and Loren Hull. Other
pioneers included Elijah Rose, Moses Gunn, Lot Rew, John Barnes, Roger
and Asa Hickox.
Lot Rew died in 1793; Laura Adams opened a school in 1792; General
Fellows and Judge Porter built a saw-mill on Mud Creek in 1790;
Benjamin Goss married the daughter of George Codding about 1790.
Nathaniel operated a distillery; Anson Munson opened a tannery; each
before 1800. Other early settlers were Nathaniel and Ezra Norton,
Benjamin Goss, John Keyes, Joel Steele and
In the east part of the town dwelt Oliver Chapin who built a
grist-mill on Fish Creek and was one of the settlers of 1789. Dr.
Daniel Chapin and Aaron Taylor came in 1790; Heman Chapin and Roswell
Humphrey in 1795, Cyprain and Tyrannus Collins in 1800, Nathaniel
Baldwin, Philo Norton (son of Aaron Norton), Zebediah Fox, Chauncey
Beach, John Doud, Jonathan Humphrey, Asa Johnson. Early settlers
also included Joel Steele and Capt. Nathan Waldron, Timothy Buell, Joab
Loomis, Benjamin Wheeler, Joel Parks, Benjamin Chapman, Ashbel Beach,
Israel Beach, George Lee.
The Goss/Gauss family came in 1789; Aaron Collins, a minister in
1795; Amos Bronson 1794 and Moses Gunn, Gideon King, Daniel Bronson,
Joel Kellogg, Joseph Parker, the Lamberton, Winslow and Tainter
families came early.
Moses Sperry settled in the south part of the town along with Pitt
Hopkins, Erastus Rowe and Ebenezer Spring.
The west and southwest portion of the town was settled by Silas
Sprague and his sons: Silas, Roger, Asahel, and Thomas.
Also in this area
came Lot Rew, Elijah Hamlin, William and John Adams, Jonathan Adams,
Wilcox, Christopher Parks, Henry Lake, Asa Doolittle, Asher Saxton,
Wilcox, Ransom Spurr, James McMann and Israel Reed.
In the northwest part of the town the early settlers were Moses and
Gaylord, Silas Harris, Ebenezer French, Joseph Dibble, Alexander
Ransom Sage, John Benjamin, Archibald Ransford, Luther Millard and
Dr. Daniel Chapin made a pioneer settlement in the central portion -
pretty little village called East Bloomfield. Dr. Ralph Wilcox
him in practice and soon afterwards was followed by Dr. Henry
Other early settlers in this central portion were: John
Silas Eggleston, Abraham Dudley, John Keyes, Benjamin Keyes, Deacon
Elisha Hopkins, Abner and Gaius Adams, Asa Hayward, Elijah Rose, Isaac
and Ephraim Turner. Benjamin Keyes generously donated the land
the village park. Ephraim Turner established the first
Elisha Beach was the first postmaster.
Peter Holloway was the village blacksmith as early as 1804, but
became a landlord and built a hotel. Jared Boughton, of Victor,
built a hotel in 1812 which was run by his son, Frederick. Zadock
a shoemaker, settled in 1798.
These first settlers were mainly New Englanders -- Yankees -- and
imbued with truly patriotic and generous sentiments. They were a
and progressive body of Yankees, and their coming to the region had the
of inducing settlement in the town and vicinity by other New
Return to the Ontario
Co. GenWeb page
Copyright © 2001-09,
County NYGenWeb and each contributor and author of materials herein.