From Geneva Daily Times 5 August 1907

Naples, N. Y. -
It is now believed that Elmer H. Ross, of Gulick, will survive the bite of a huge rattlesnake, received two days ago while in the hayfield. He was following the mowing machine driven by his father. The snake coiled in the grass, was disturbed and sprang as the son came along. The fangs closed on the leg below the knee. While the father detached a horse from the machine, the son killed the snake, which had nine rattles. The leg was tightly bandaged, and the man swallowed a plat of whiskey. In spite of what was done the limb swelled to the size of the body, and for two days life hung in the balance. The man suffered from convulsions.

Manchester, N. Y. - Frank Benedict, who resides on the Brewster farm, one mile west of this village, lost a valuable horse in a peculiar way on Friday. His hired man had just brought the animal from the pasture to the barn, and as he attempted to get the harness on the animal, which was tied to a beam, it kicked him. The man struck the animal with a strap and the horse at once threw itself on the floor and died before a veterinary could arrive. Dr. Shaw, who was summoned, found the cause of death to be due to injuries of the neck.

From Ontario County Journal 5 August 1907

Antonio Marsena,
of Chapel street, jealous at his wife's association with other men, waited, with his brother, for her homecoming on Sunday evening. Both had revolvers, and as their anxiety increased by went out to look for the wife. Near St. John's church Mrs. Marsena, an escort and another couple were encountered. The Marsenas opened fire, a woman ran screaming down Main street and the others disappeared. Although the police were promptly on hand, it was not until next day that Chief Beeman learned from the Chapel street Italians that the woman had been shot in one arm and that she and her husband had departed. Their whereabouts are still unknown.

The following party of young people are at the Phillips cottage on the East lake shore: Misses Mildred Phillips of Gorham; Grace Derrick, Helena Tobey, Maude Schlick, Helen Schlick, Florence Slayton and Mary Powers; and Messrs. Beacher Bassett, Fred Donnelly, William Tyler, Carroll Slayton, Robert Tobey, Claude Lafler and Arthur Tyler, of Naples.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 7 August 1907

Rushville, N. Y. - 
With the exception of one son, the Haviland family held a reunion at the home of the parents, Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Haviland, on Sunday last. Those from out-of-town were Mrs. John Dale of New York; Charles Rhodes and family of Geneva; Charles Haviland and Joseph Haviland of Leroy.

From Geneva Daily Times 8 August 1907

Phelps, N. Y. - John Loney, a local drayman, had the toes of his right foot badly crushed while attempting to get aboard his dray yesterday. Without stopping his horse, he stepped on the hub of the wheel and his foot slipped. The motion threw his foot under the wheel, which passed over his toes. At the time of the accident, Mr. Loney was hauling cement and had over a ton on the dray.

Naples, N. Y. - Miss Anna Blake of this village had a narrow escape from drowning Monday. Several young ladies at the cottages around the Granger and Coye Bay at the head of Canandaigua lake were bathiing, when Miss Blake ventured out to a cliff off which the water is seventy feet deep and fell. She could not swim and sank. Miss Anna Sutton, daughter of S. Sutton of Naples, an athletic girl of 17, went to her aid, and after Miss Blake had gone down twice, caught her and succeeded in taking her to the shore, where she was soon resuscitated. Her father, A. M. Blake, was rendered powerless by the sight of the accident which he witnessed from the porch of the cottage. Miss Sutton is an expert swimmer and her courage won great praise.

From Geneva Daily Times 10 August 1907

Manchester, N. Y. - The principal feature of the picnic given Thursday by the Baptist Sunday School of this village was the sports in which there were many contestants. The following were prize winners in the different contests:  shoe race, won by Raymond Le Roy; girl's throwing ball contest, won by Ruth Morris; married women's contest, throwing ball, won by Mrs. Egbert G. Howland; 100-yard dash, free for all, won by James Craig; 100-yard dash for young girls, won by Ruth Morris; doughnut race, won by Clyde Edinger; candle race for women, won by Mrs. L. Howland; backward race for girls, won by Anna Jones; 100-yard dash for little girls, won by Mildred Blosser; three-legged race, won by Smith and Craig; walking match for young men, won by Myron Burns; toad race, won by Stuart Hawkes.

From Geneva Daily Times 12 August 1907

Manchester, N. Y. - It has just been made known and at present is the one topic of conversation in the village, that Mrs. Carl Gillis of this village successfully frightened a thief from her coop, while endeavoring to steal her hens on Wednesday evening, and while she was alone in the house with six small children. Mr. Gillis is employed by the Lehigh Valley Railroad Company in the yard working nights, leaving Mrs. Gillis alone with the children. Wednesday evening, Mrs. Gillis states, a tramp was looking over their premises, but as he soon went away nothing was thought of the matter. Shortly after the family retired for the night, a great noise was made by the fowls, and Mrs. Gillis getting out of bed looked toward the coop where she could discern the figure of a man coming out of the door. Mrs. Gillis hearing the chickens still cackling and fearing that all were about to be stolen, secured her husband's rifle, which was loaded, went to the woodshed, opened a window and thrust the gun barrel out and leveled it on the moving figure. At her command the thief dropped his load of chickens and fled. One hen was all that was carried off. Mrs. Gillis says that the next person who visits her chicken coop at night, if seen by her, will get a dose of lead before being asked to drop his plunder, as she knows how to use a rifle.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 14 August 1907

Victor, N. Y. -  Mrs. P. M. Skuse
delightfully entertained a party of elderly ladies at her home in East Victor on Saturday afternoon from 2 until 7 o'clock. The party was in honor of the 88th birthday of Mrs. Angelina Cronk. Among the guests were friends of girlhood days, and the occasion was a most happy one. A bountiful supper was served and greatly enjoyed.

Victor, N. Y. - Mr. and Mrs. Fred Manley and Lyman Benson of this town attended the reunion of the Benson family, held at Seneca Park, Rochester, on Thursday of last week. This family has many representatives and the reunion last week, which was the first one ever held by the family, was a large gathering, and a very enjoyable event.

Victor, N. Y. - Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Cornford, Mr. and Mrs. H. E. Cornford, Mr. and Mrs. A. R. Cornford, Mr. and Mrs. M. A. Aldrich and children, Mr. and Mrs. Louis Osborn and children, and Miss Gertrude Nelson, Miss Olive Simonds and Winifred Nelson, all of this village, attended the Cornford reunion held on Wednesday of last week at the Kibberly cottage on Cayuga lake.

Padelford, N. Y. - Charles Knapp met with a painful accident one day last week. While operating a horse fork, he in some way got his hand entangled in the ropes, bruising that member quite badly.

From Geneva Daily Times 15 August 1907

James Bryan, a farm laborer who occupied the tenant house on the turnpike just west of Pre-emption road which is owned by Charles Bean, has disappeared and left his wife and three children without means of support. Charles D. Bean, who now manages the business affairs of his father, has instituted summary proceedings before Justice Charles W. Smith, who issued a warrant to dispossess the tenants. The situation of George Simmons, the overseer of the poor for the Town of Geneva, has been called to the condition of the family and he is now making arrangements to provide for them. Mr. Bryan hired out to Mr. Bean on June 1st and was to receive as part of his compensation the use of the tenant house and the garden patch attached. He worked until the first of August, when he disappeared and has not been seen since. It is believed that he has gone to Canada. As his wife was unable to pay the rent, action was taken to recover possession of the house, and the warrant for the dispossession which was granted by Justice Smith Monday is now pending in order that Overseer of the Poor Simmons may make arrangements to care for the dependents.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 21 August 1907

One hundred and twenty-five members of the family, including E. T. Case and family, Bristol street, attended the Case reunion, which was held Saturday at the old Case homestead now owned by F. E. Tones in Bristol Valley. The day was spent in sports and dancing, and a business meeting was also held at which William Case of Allen's Hill was elected president and George Case, secretary.

The reunion of the Davis family, held at the home of Mrs. F. H. Eighmy, Mason street, on Saturday, was attended by 83 members of the family from this and adjoining counties. Dinner was served in a large tent on the lawn and the social hours and musical programme made the occasion a most pleasant one. The committee to have charge of the arrangements for the next reunion is composed of Mr. and Mrs. Albert Ainsley of Penn Yan, Mr. and Mrs. W. I. Burrett of Rochester, Mr. and Mrs. L. M. Baldwin, Mr. and Mrs. M. O. Evans, Mr. and Mrs. Warren Davis and Miss Lena Eighmy of Canandaigua. Miss Rubie Baldwin was elected secretary.

Victor, N. Y. -  Charles Webster was the victim of a serious accident last week. Mr. Webster was at work on the addition which is being built on Milo Webster's house in Moore avenue, this village, when the scaffold broke and Mr. Webster fell to the ground breaking his wrist and seriously bruising his hand. He was removed to a Canandaigua hospital.

From Geneva Daily Times 30 August 1907

Phelps, N. Y. - The annual reunion of the Case family was held at the home of Mr. and Mrs. William Stryker yesterday. There were seventy-seven present. Refreshments were served and then the company was entertained with a literary and musical program. Officers as follows were elected: President, Alfred Case; vice-president, Mrs. Julia Burnette; secretary, Miss Mary Biglow; treasurer, Theodore Case. Among the guests present from out-of-town were Mr. and Mrs. James Rykman of Seattle, Wash.; Mr. and Mrs. H. C. Scotney of Bradboure, N. C.; Mr. and Mrs. William Taylor and Miss Minnie Donahue of Hillsdale, Mich.; Mr. and Mrs. Eugene Case and Mr. and Mrs. Henry Case of Amsterdam; Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Case, Mrs. George Evans, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Evans and son of Rochester; Mr. and Mrs. John Hornby and daughter of Springfield, Mass.; Mrs. Smallage and two daughters of Penn Yan; Mrs. A. E. Burnett, Mr. and Mrs. Edward Burnett, of Lyons; George Case and daughter of Palmyra; Mr. and Mrs. Frank Vosburg of Seneca Castle.

From Geneva Daily Times 3 September 1907

A baby boy about three years old is at the home of Patrick McGloon, No. 1 Exchange street. The baby apparently lost by someone was found by Mr. McGloon and some companions on Exchange street at about three o'clock this morning. Mr. McGloon and several other men had spent Sunday and Labor Day at Camp Comfort on the shore of Seneca Lake near Billsboro. They returned to Geneva early this morning so as to be able to return to their work. While going down Exchange street just north of the New York Central freight house, the men were attracted by a small figure in a checked gingham dress making its way along the sidewalk. Mr. McGloon went up to the figure and discovered that it was a child apparently between two and three years of age. He spoke to the little one and it followed him. The child could not tell its name or where it had come from. It had the appearance of being an Italian child and so the men went to several of the Italian residences in the vicinity and attempted to awake the inmates. The attempts were unsuccessful and so it was finally decided that Mr. McGloon would take the child home. The youngster was taken there, given a bath and dressed up again. The find was reported to the police early this morning but up until noon, no one had reported a child lost. The youngster at the McGloon home seems perfectly satisfied with its surroundings and apparently would just as soon stay there as anywhere. Owing to the hour at which it was found, it is believed that the child wandered from home. The boy has light hair, light blue eyes and regular features.

From Geneva Daily Times 9 September 1907

Shortsville, N. Y. - Saturday was Miss Eleanor K. Faurot's 89th birthday. She was the seventh child, born on the seventh day of the month, and the seventh day of the week.

Friday, September 6th, was the 83d birthday of C. P. Brown. Although in quite poor health, Mr. Brown is uncomplaining, and meets his many friends with a kindly greeting.

From Geneva Daily Times 17 September 1907

Halls Corners, N. Y. - As Orson Robson, accompanied by his daughter, May, and sister, Miss Mary Robson, were returning from church at No. Nine Sunday morning, their horse became frightened by a motor cycle ridden by a young man named Albertsn and as they neared the corner of the road below Thomas Haslett's turning on to the ford by T. E. Turnbull's, the three were thrown out of their carriage, injuring all of them, but not in a dangerous manner. Mr. Robson sustained a gash upon the head. Misses Mary and May were bruised about the head somewhat. Miss Mary's glasses were broken also and her eyes somewhat injured. Dr. John Robson was called and all are comfortable today.

From Geneva Daily Times 17 September 1907

Clifton Springs, N. Y. - The descendants of the late Jacob Vanderhoof and his wife, Catherine Hall Vanderhoof, have formed an organization and will hold a reunion each year. The first reunion was held at Boardman Island Saturday last, at which sixty were present. The officers for this coming year are: President, J. M. Vanderhoof; vice-president, Wallace Follett; secretary, Roscoe Haynes; treasurer, M. G. Vanderhoof; entertainment committee, Mrs. Helen Carr, Mrs. Josephine Follett, Mrs. Annie Follett, Mrs. Lillian Vanhoof, Mrs. Gertrude Vanderhoof, Mrs. Minnie Gross and Mrs. Millie Abenshine. Two of the nine children who were born to Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Vanderhoof were present at this gathering: Mrs. Elizabeth Bryant, now in her 92d year and Mrs. Lucy Mosher, 72 years of age. The reunion will be held hereafter on the third Wednesday in August.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 18 September 1907

Victor, N. Y. - 
On Thursday evening, September 12, triplets were born to Mr. and Mrs. Irving S. Boughton, who reside west of this village. The three little boys weighed eleven pounds together. One weighed five pounds and the other two three pounds each. The parents were very proud of their sons and were saddened by the death of one of them. The one weighing five pounds died. The remaining two appear healthy and the mother is doing nicely.

Clifton Springs, N. Y. -  Mrs. Eliza Grinnell celebrated her ninetieth birthday at her home with the family of Dr. S. H. Adams on Wednesday last. Mrs. Grinnell, who was born near Rome, N. Y., has received many letters of congratulations from that place. She has been a member of Dr. Adam's family for the past thirty years. Many friends from the village called and among the remembrances was a cake bearing nine candles, one for each ten years of her life, and the figures 1817-1907 frosted on the top. This cake was presented by Mrs. F. W. Spaulding.

From Geneva Daily Times 19 September 1907

Phelps, N. Y. - While crossing a street in Geneva yesterday, Mrs. Orson Sopher, an aged lady of this village, was struck by a rig driven by a coachman in the employ of Banker Chew of Geneva. Mr. Chew was also an occupant of the carriage. The pole of the carriage struck Mrs. Sopher on the head and she was knocked under the horses' feet. The animals, however, did not trample on her and she was rescued before sustaining further injuries. Mrs. Sopher was carried to a nearby store and after recovering from the shock, she was able to resume her journey homeward without assistance.

George King was struck and injured quite severely on the Pennsylvania Division of the New York Central near the college boat house this morning. King was walking along the tracks when a southbound train approached. He stepped from the southbound to the northbound tracks and in so doing failed to look out for a northbound train which was approaching slowly. The man was struck and knocked a considerable distance. The train was stopped and the engine detached and run to the station where a hurried call was sent in for Dr. C. C. Lytle and the City Hospital ambulance. Both calls were responded to promptly and the injured man was removed immediately to the hospital. It was found that he had suffered several severe abrasions on the face and back but that apparently these were the only injuries and that he would quickly recover unless there are some undiscovered internal injuries.

From Geneva Daily Times 21 September 1907

Fenton E. Stilwell is a brave man. He is willing to think for himself and to stand alone. He has courage enough to oppose all of the other master and journeyman barbers in the city. With the exception of Mr. Stilwell's shop at No. 16 Linden street, all of the other barber shops in the city will increase the price of shaving from ten to fifteen cents, commencing on Monday morning. At the Stilwell shop, the price of a shave will remain at ten cents, while hair-cutting will be twenty cents except on Saturday, when five cents will be added. In view of the general advance, Mr. Stilwell has advertised for 5,000 men to get their work done at his shop at the old prices. It is an open question whether his full want will be satisfied and whether he could take care of them if it was, but it is likely that the amount of his business will be limited only by the capacity of his shop.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 25 September 1907

Rushville, N. Y. -  Byron Soules,
while probably in an intoxicated condition, Friday night fell when entering a stable in the feed barn where he is employed and was badly injured by the tramping of a horse. One shoulder was badly crushed and one arm broken. Had it not been for the prompt action of Frank Holbrook, who was in the barn and heard him fall, Mr. Soules would have suffered even greater injuries. The lantern which he carried was rescued in time to save conflagration. Mr. Soules was taken to Memorial hospital, Canandaigua, on Saturday last.

St. Mary's Church, Canandaigua - Recently baptized, Edward Custer McCarthy, Dolores Florence Mallotte, John Conon Doyle, Gladys Ruth Kaveny, Helen Elizabeth Mahar, Lilian Julia Hoad and Margaret Reynolds.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 2 October 1907

Bristol Springs, N. Y. -
An accident occurred to Martin Beeman and family on Tuesday last. As they were descending the road that leads to the lake, the strap of the neck yoke broke, letting the wagon run upon the horses, which ran off the bank into the Lapham gully and all were thrown out, Mrs. Beeman receiving a broken wrist and other bruises. The rest escaped serious injury.

From Phelps Citizen 3 October 1907

Darwin Pease,
a farmer living about two miles south of Clifton Springs, was quite severely gored by a cow he was loading to the Lindner slaughter house, Tuesday morning. A lady passing along the street, wearing a red shawl, is thought to have enraged the animal which suddenly turned upon its owner. Fortunately help was near and prevented the animal doing more serious injury to Mr. Pease.

From Geneva Daily Times 5 October 1907

Phelps, N. Y. -
A strange horse attached to a light open buggy was found by Marshall Zimmerman in one of the back fields of his farm yesterday morning. The horse had evidently run away, although there was no damage to the rig with the exception of the bridle being missing. Mr. Zimmerman came to Phelps to advertise his find and later it was discovered that the rig was owned by a man named Clark of Waterloo. Mr. Clark had been in Lyons and left his horse standing in the street while he went inside to transact some business. While he was absent, the horse disappeared.

From Geneva Daily Times 8 October 1907

Phelps, N. Y. -
While repairing the roof of his farm residence, north of Phelps, George Conine, who resides on North Wayne street, fell a distance of twenty-five feet and sustained serious injuries. His body is badly bruised and Dr. W. A. Howe, who attended him, fears that he has been injured internally.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 9 October 1907

Gorham, N. Y. -
The infant child of Mr. and Mrs. Jas. Campbell, which had been under the care of Mrs. Hue Curtis the past month, was taken to the orphan asylum.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 23 October 1907

Rushville, N. Y. -  John Dwyer,
who for some time has lived alone at his place two miles north of this village, fell last week from an apple tree. When found he was carried to the house and a doctor summoned who found him to be seriously injured. Both hips are broken and an internal injury is feared. His mind is in some way affected. He is being cared for by his daughters from Rochester.

Last Thursday while Edwin Hurley, accompanied by two other men, was on his way home from work, the horse was frightened by the scratching of a match and started to run. The animal soon became unmanageable and the occupants were thrown out. Mr. Hurley was brought home seriously injured. His spine is thought to be affected and one leg is also broken. Since the accident he has lain in an unconscious condition the greater part of the time. On Friday his attending physician, Dr. A. T. Halstead, counseled with Dr. W. W. Skinner of Geneva. It was found that the injured man was beyond help.

From Geneva Daily Times 24 October 1907

Phelps, N. Y. - Aiken Irving,
a retired Phelps farmer, who resides alone on West Main street was found unconscious yesterday morning and whether or not his condition is due to asphyxiation or a stroke of paralysis is yet undecided. Mr. Irving was first discovered by Frank Hicks, who, on entering the house, found Mr. Irving lying on the bed partly dressed. After a futile attempt to arouse Mr. Irving, medical assistance was summoned. He failed to rally and up to a late hour had not regained consciousness. At the time that Mr. Hicks entered the house fumes of gas were noticed.

From Geneva Daily Times 25 October 1907

Canandaigua, N. Y. - Albert Andrews
was shot by Soem Edstrom, a fellow employee at the Sonnenberg estate of Mrs. F. F. Thompson at about noon yesterday. The men, who are employed by Mrs. Thompson, were in their quarters at the time. Edstrom ran out of the room, saying that he had shot Andrews, and later Andrews was taken to Memorial Hospital, where it was found that the bullet had entered his shoulder and striking a bone, had penetrated his lung. During the afternoon Andrews made a signed statement, in which he exonerated Edstrom, saying the two were fooling when the shooting occurred. No arrest was made until about 6 o'clock when Edstrom was taken into custody. Some statements he made to the officer who arrested him led the officer to think that the two men had quarreled. Edstrom was charged with assault in the first degree for shooting Andrews. He was taken before Police Justice Parkhurst and committed to the county jail to await the result of Andrew's injuries. Andrews is in a serious condition at the hospital.

From Geneva Daily Times 28 October 1907

It was reported to the police last week that LeRoy Peters had left his home on Thursday and had not been seen about the city after he had come down town. An investigation which followed finally ended in the discovery that Mr. Peters was stopping at the Nester Hotel. His family was informed and he returned home Saturday evening. In some manner a story was circulated about the street yesterday and this morning to the effect that Mr. Peters had taken a quantity of chloroform. This story was positively denied by members of the family today and the facts also show that there was no foundation for the rumor. The facts in the case are that Mr. Peters went to the Nester Thursday afternoon and after being about the hotel for a few hours, asked for a room, stating that he wished to lie down. He was assigned a room. Mr. Peters declared that he did not desire anything to eat the next day because of a violent toothache. He remained at the hotel Friday and Saturday, and Saturday again complained of the toothache. Saturday night he visited the Weld drug store at the corner of Castle and Exchange streets and complained of the toothache again. Here he secured a small vial containing a quantity of oil of cloves mixed with a very small quantity of chloroform. It was declared today that had the entire vial been filled with chloroform, it could have produced an ill effect. It was the purchase of this vial which was found in the room at the hotel that evidently gave rise to the stories that Mr. Peters had taken chloroform. Mr. Peters returned home with his family Saturday night and today is about the house as usual.

From Geneva Daily Times 1 November 1907

Naples, N. Y. - James Springstead,
a farmer past seventy years of age is suffering much from an injury sustained in falling under his wagon. He was taking a load of corn into his barn, walking beside it, losing his balance, he fell in front of a wheel and infirmities of age prevented him from getting out of its track. His side was savagely scraped, and an arm run over. It is believed, however, that there are no internal injuries, and that he will recover.

From Geneva Daily Times 25 November 1907

Canandaigua, N. Y. -
A peculiar and painful injury to E. G. Snyder, of the West lake road, was reported Saturday. Mr. Snyder was driving home from town with a load of grist, when the team became frightened at something and, plunging, threw Snyder off. Snyder fell so that one of the wheels of the heavy wagon passed over his neck. That he was not killed, is considered remarkable by his physician, Dr. F. C. Brockmyre, but except for bruises and cuts and a stiff neck, Snyder is all right.

From Geneva Daily Times 5 December 1907

Manchester, N. Y. - Calvin P. Osgood,
over 80 years of age, who resides four miles northeast of this village, is in a serious condition at his home from the too frequent use of kerosene oil as an application for the cure of rheumatism. This is said to have been a favorite remedy in years gone by. Mr. Osgood applied the oil to his leg, using a tight cloth covering and went to bed. In the morning his leg was so badly blistered that he was confined to his bed. The leg now looks more like a piece of raw beef than human flesh.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 11 December 1907

Victor, N. Y. -  Mrs. Louisa West Tallmadge,
whose home is in this village and has been for eighty-nine years, celebrated her 92d birthday on Monday, Dec. 9. Mrs. Tallmadge is in very good health and in full possession of all her faculties. She is a woman of wonderful vigor and few of her age can boast of such activity. She is visiting at the home of her granddaughter, Mrs. Arthur Force near Mendon, where she will spend her birthday.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 18 December 1907

Victor, N. Y. - 
On Thursday morning as Everett Jacobs was walking down Church street, he slipped on the ice and fell, striking on his head. He was able to walk to the store of his father, Ovid Jacobs, on East Main street, where he soon fainted and remained in an unconscious condition for the greater part of the day. He was not able to be taken to his home until evening. He suffered serious scalp wounds and is now confined to his bed. It is hoped that no more serious results will develop.

From Geneva Daily Times 27 December 1907

In Police Court this morning, Dennis McCarthy was sentenced to serve three months in the Ontario county jail. McCarthy was arrested by Officer McNerney yesterday afternoon upon a warrant obtained yesterday morning by his wife. The warrant was secured, it is stated, on account of the actions of the man at his home. According to the story told, he became intoxicated and then started to "clean house." His wife, father and other members of the family were all attacked. The warrant charging him with being intoxicated was secured yesterday morning but it was not until late yesterday afternoon that the officer located him and it was only after a struggle in which he was overpowered that McCarthy consented to go to jail. This morning he was penitent but the Judge decided that a jail sentence was the best thing for him and he made it three months. McCarthy is a former well-known baseball player. He played with teams in the West and was with several of the Empire League teams.

From Geneva Daily Times 30 December 1907

Manchester, N. Y. -
A serious stabbing affray and what may prove to be a murder, took place in this village yesterday afternoon between 4 and 5 o'clock, the victim being Abbott Hessney, a Syrian merchant who conducts a store here. The one accused of the crime is an Italian named Tony Pasco, who, it is said, used a large knife to inflict the injury. The trouble started in the home of an Italian named Peter Mann, where Tony Pasco and his father, Frank Pasco, together with Abbott Hessney, had met. There was a dispute over some goods Hessney had sent to Pasco's home for another Italian who was boarding there. Pasco objected to the goods being there and returned them to Hessney. The two Pascos tried to eject Hessney from the home, the father, it is alleged, striking him in the head with a chair. Hessney was forced outside the door when it is charged young Pasco seized him from behind, and reaching under his right arm drove the knife into Hessney's right breast, the cut slanting upward. The blade of the knife is one inch wide at the handle and runs five and one half inches to a point, the blade closing into the handle. It is thought the wound is four inches deep. Hessney was suffering from internal hemorrhages and was removed in an ambulance to Memorial Hospital at Canandaigua. Officer Franklin Smith and a posse of men arrested both the Pascos and took them to the county jail.

From Ontario County Journal 10 January 1908

Allen's Hill, N. Y. -  Raymond Sleight
met with quite a serious accident on New Years eve. While on his way to Honeoye Falls, his horse became frightened at the cars near Gates crossing. As he turned he collided with a telephone pole, tipping the carriage over and wrecking it badly. Mr. Sleight received a sprained knee, and one side of his face was bruised and cut some.

Naples, N. Y. -  At a recent family gathering at the home of Arthur Kuns, of Naples, there were 15 members of the family present, including Mr. and Mrs. Adam Kuns and some of their children and grandchildren. A handsome rocker was presented to their parents by the children, and prompted by this act, Mr. Kuns immediately presented to each of his five children $100. It was a fine illustration of an abundant and speedy harvest of kindness sown.

From Geneva Daily Times 22 January 1908

Manchester, N. Y. -
During the absence of Mr. and Mrs. John Q. Wells from their home in Farmington, about 2 o'clock Sunday morning those in the house were aroused by the screams of Charles, the ten-year-old son, from his bedroom upstairs. The daughter, Ethel, was the first to respond to the cries and when she entered the room she was horrified to see the bed on fire and her brother with his night clothes in flames running around the room trying to extinguish the flames with a sweater. Ethel stripped the burning clothes from her brother and rushed from the room. Then she ran down the stairs and securing a pitcher of water called to her sister to help her. When she reached the scene of the fire, the flames were leaping to the ceiling, but water put out the fire before very much damage had been done. The boy is burnt on his legs in twelve different places, two of the burns being large, and one of his hands is also badly burned. The fire is supposed to have started from the lamp that Charlie carried on going to bed.

From Geneva Daily Times 25 January 1908

Manchester, N. Y. -
Hon. Myron D. Short of Canandaigua, an able commissioner, and a sheriff's jury held court in Village Hall, Shortsville, Wednesday, on the complaint of Charles Van Buren, the petitioner in the case, represented by W. C. Ellis of Shortsville, who requested that a committee be appointed over William R. Camp of Shortsville, a Civil War veteran, 86 years of age, who is helpless and confined to his bed, and for nearly a month had required constant attention. As his only near relative, his daughter, recently died, the jury decided that Mr. Camp should have some one with authority to look after him, as he draws a pension of $20 a month. He also has the use during his life of two houses in Shortsville, one of which he occupies, the other renting by the week. This, together with the pension money, makes his income $344.  Oliver S. Titus was appointed committee of Mr. Camp.

From Phelps Citizen 30 January 1908

Ernest Moore
was badly burned while handling babbit metal Saturday at the Crown works, The young man was pouring the metal into the hub of a wheel when it exploded and filled his face and eyes with small particles of the babbit. The gaseous fumes ignited and the flames struck him in the face, burning the flesh and destroying his eyebrows and a portion of the hair on his head. He was also burned about the chest.

Canandaigua has a new organiztion known as the Independent Order of Turkeys, and "The Yard" as each branch of the society is termed, which has just been orgazized, is the third in the United States. Chas. Lewis has been elected Past Great Gobbler, and J. M. VanDevyver Great Gobbler.

From Geneva Daily Times 1 February 1908

Rushville, N. Y. -
Rushville residents are somewhat stirred over the disappearance from his home of 14-year-old John Turner. A short time ago he was taken sick, staying out of school, but getting better, went after his books, telling his teacher that he had been summoned by telephone to go to an uncle's to help him with his chores and attend school there. No trace of hims has since been found. He had always been accounted a very trustworthy boy, which makes his leaving home a surprise.

From Geneva Daily Times 5 February 1908

Phelps, N. Y. - Frank Hill
was taken into custody yesterday by Constables Loney and Smith and placed in the village lockup, where he will remain until a commission passes upon his sanity. Hill has been making things lively at his home on West Main street, it is said, for the past ten days and it was only after a fierce struggle with the officers that he consented to be taken. Hill, it is alleged, has threatened several times to kill every member of the household and on other occasions he forcibly enjected them from their home. His wanderings about the country has excited a great deal of comment during the zero weather. He has been an inmate of Willard hospital on two previous occasions. The unfortunate man was taken to the county jail at Canandaigua last evening, the lockup here being unfit to keep him. A commission will examine him tomorrow.

From Shortsville Enterprise 7 February 1908

Friend Charley Bryant and his good wife suffered the scare of their lives Sunday night about 11 o'clock, when their night lamp exploded, scattering the burning oil about the sitting room, and setting fire to the carpet, table cloth and other articles in the room. Charley fought the flames so successfully as to succeed in subduing them, though not until considerable damage was done to the room's contents. The loss will not exceed $100, it is believed. Mr. and Mrs. Bryant both escaped without injury from the flames, but they are suffering greatly from the effects of the shock.

From Geneva Daily Times 10 February 1908

Phelps, N. Y. -
While exercising a high-spirited horse on West Main street Saturday afternoon, Oscar King met with a serious mishap. The horse became unmanageable, ran away and threw King from his seat on a huge four-wheel cart. His head struck violently against a telephone pole, inflicting injuries which rendered him unconscious for a time. He was removed to his home on Exchange street, where his injuries were treated by Dr. Vanderhoof. It required several stitches to close the wounds. The horse continued through the drifts and was finally captured a couple of miles outside the village. It was uninjured but had completely demolished the cart.

From Geneva Daily Times 19 February 1908

Stanley, N. Y. -
Mail carrier Charles Gulvin of route No. 3 received a fine token of appreciation from the patrons of his route last week in the shape of a fur coat, silk lined and beaver trimmed, a genuine Alaska seal cap, a pair of fine fur driving gloves, fur-lined, and $4.40 in money. Evidently his patrons appreciate his endeavors to reach them during the recent storms and almost impassible roads. Mr. Gulvin thanked them heartily and believes he is carrying mail to the kindest people in the state.

From Geneva Daily Times 20 February 1908

Naples, N. Y. -
Wanda Chapter of the Eastern Star was organized in Naples Tuesday night with the following officers:

Matron - Mrs. Emma Bolles
Patron - George Bolles
Associate matron - Mrs. Mary Tozer
Conductress - Josephine Kunes
Asst. conductress - Jessie Clement
Secretary - Mrs. Maude Charles
Treasurer - Mrs. Coleman
Chaplain - H. P. Weatherlow
Marshal - James H. Tozer
Ada - Estella Lewis
Ruth - Grace Frazier
Esther - Mrs. Morley
Martha - Katherine Koby
Electa - Jennie House

From Ontario County Journal 28 February 1908

Canadice, N. Y. - Hugh Wright
met with a serious accident on Saturday morning. He went to the barn for a rope and in passing near a hay chute, which had hay thrown over it, he made a misstep and fell through, catching himself by his arms. He called for help, and one of the men who were pressing hay there at the time pulled him out. He was taken to the house and a doctor summoned, who found that several ribs were broken and loosened. He is slowly recovering.

From Geneva Daily Times 4 March 1908

Manchester, N. Y. -
Although much scientific instruction has been given to the worthy housewives of the town of Manchester in the last few years in the art of preserving fruit so that it will keep, and retain its firmness and flavor, yet it is doubtful if any of them can compare their efforts in that line with Mrs. Amanda McLouth, who is past 78 years of age. She opened a can of fruit yesterday that was put up by her over 50 years ago, and it was as firm as if only placed in the can one month ago, and not a particle of mould or decay showed on the fruit. The fruit was put up in September, 1857, and consists of what was known in the early days as sugar pears. The tree is alive today and is said to have been bearing over 100 years. The can used is about the size of the two-quart jar of today, but has neither the maker's name or trademark. A large cork is used for a cover, which was made airtight by a preparation of beeswax and rosin.

From Geneva Daily Times 9 March 1908

The Italian colony in Torrey Park was again in holiday attire yesterday. The occasion was a christening at the home of Peter Frabrizzi, one of the prominent citizens of the place. The youngest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Frabrizzi was yesterday given the name of Mary in honor of Mrs. Raymond Del Papa. Mr. and Mrs. Tabeio Tadiscol of Sayre acted as sponsors and a gala time was had at the Frabrizzi residence. The place was decorated with American and Italian flags and over 200 guests, among them many prominent Italians from Rochester, Buffalo, Ithaca, Syracuse, Auburn and other surrounding towns sat down to the dinner, which was served at 3 o'clock. Following this dinner the house was visited by practically every resident of the colony and the merrymaking continued until late last night.

From Geneva Daily Times 14 March 1908

Naples, N. Y. -
Word was hastily went Thursday night to officers in this town asking them to come to the home of Edward Andrews, in South Bristol, to take into custody Wells Butler, who was evidently dangerously insane. It was said that he had driven the family from the house and had broken windows with his fists, and that he had two shotguns within reach. Officers F. A. Manahan and Frank Cornish drove to the place, six miles away. The house was surrounded by neighbors, but none cared to enter. The officers went in and found Butler in bed. Before he could arouse himself he was handcuffed. He was brought to Naples and put in confinement. It appears that Butler, who was then a resident of Bristol, with a family, became insane about twelve or fifteen years ago and was taken to Willard State Asylum. After several years he escaped and came back to his home. He seemed to be restored to his right mind, and no attempt was made to take him back to the hospital. After two or three years, however, the malady returned, and he became so violent that his wife dared not live with him, and left, going West to her children.

A short time ago Butler went West to try and induce his wife to live with him, but she refused, and he seemed much worse when he returned to the home of Andrews, with whom he had lived much of the time after his wife left him. Yesterday afternoon, by order of the District Attorney, Butler was examined by Drs. Conley and Barringer, who pronounced him insane. Attendants of Willard Hospital will soon be here to take him to that institution.

From Geneva Daily Times 20 March 1908

Phelps, N. Y. -
The 85th birthday of Mrs. Ruth Olmstead will be observed quietly today. The usual celebration will have to be omitted owing to the illness of Mrs. Olmstead, who is suffering a severe attack of the grip.

From Geneva Daily Times 27 March 1908

Gorham, N. Y. -
Since May 1st, 1907, James Cook has prepared the graves for 28 people in the Gorham Cemetery. The names, with date, place and cause of death with age follow:

May 5th, Gilbert L. Mott, infant son of Durwood Mott, cause of death, convulsions; May 6th, Mary Jane Dickerson, wife of William Dickerson, of apoplexy, aged 57; May 9th, Catherine Witter, of pneumonia, aged 80. The latter three all died in Gorham. May 18th, Margaret Barden, of heart disease, at South Bristol, aged 78; May 28th, Chas. Coon, of heart disease, at Rochester, aged 54; June 9th, Lewis Werley, of senility, Gorham, aged 80; July 11th, Richard Boyce, of pulmonary tuberculosis, Gorham, aged 57; Aug. 2d, Mrs. Janet Hodgson, at Berlin, Conn., aged 40, uremia cause of death; Aug. 10th, infant child of John Wolforth, Gorham; Aug. 15th, Margaret Kidder in Potter, of meningitis, aged 1 year; Aug. 31st Chas. (newspaper illegible - Sterxxxxst) at Canandaigua, aged 5 months; Sept. 3d, Joseph Hershey, Gorham, aged 94; Sept. 13th, Leroa Smith, Gorham, of cholera infantum, aged 1 year and 10 months; Sept. 15th, Rebecca Jane Rodman, Gorham, of apoplexy, aged 97; Sept. 16th, Mrs. Clara Lane, at Middlesex, of consumption, aged 25; Sept. 16th, infant child of William Wing, at Rochester; Sept. 21st, Mrs. Maria Ketcham, Gorham, of apoplexy, aged 57; Nov. 22d, Charles Rockefeller, Gorham, of heart disease, aged 46; Dec. 13th, Minnie Ellis, at Canandaigua, of meningitis, aged 11; Dec. 19th, Nelson Duval, of consumption, at Penn Yan, aged 36; Jan. 5th, 1908, Wendell  (newspaper illegible - (Stape?), in Potter, of heart failure, aged 1 year and 10 months; Jan 16th, Miss Nancy Torrey, at Middlesex, aged 54; Jan. 22d, Mrs. Kate Pearson, Gorham, aged 50; Feb 5th, Charles Werley, Gorham, fractured skull; March 20th Mrs. Helen Raymer, of apoplexy, aged 64.

From Naples Record 3 April 1908

Bristol Springs -
Not many sick, but several disabled ones in our burgh. Will Hemenway goes with crutches from driving a rusty nail through the ball of his foot. George Sherman travels with the same aid on account of the saw mill carriage getting the best of him in a collision; and Fred Barrett has a bad felon on the palm of his left hand.

From Geneva Daily Times 9 April 1908

Canandaigua, N. Y. - Mark Jopson,
who has been an inmate of the Canandaigua Hospital of Physicians and Surgeons, for eight days, under treatment, Tuesday night, while the nurse was momentarily out of the room, arose and with only underclothing, a night dress and a pair of felt slippers, jumped out of the window and went to his home, four miles west of this village, where he arrived at 1:40 a.m. He was reported by the family yesterday morning to be none the worse for his nocturnal experience.

From Geneva Daily Times 11 April 1908

Court City of Geneva, No. 363, Foresters of America, held its annual installation of officers last evening. Worthy Deputy Grand Chief Ranger Henry W. Beatty acted as installing officer and was assisted by his herald, Thomas Reynolds. The following were the officers installed:

Chief ranger - Walter Hyatt
Sub chief ranger - George Hyatt
Treasurer - Arthur Smith
Financial Secy - Joseph Lake
Recording Secy - Fred Baumgartner
Senior woodward - Frank Seabrook
Junior woodward - Jesse Trautman
Senior beadle - Ben Brown
Junior beadle - Frank Beamish
Trustees - Andrew Rogers and
Edward Reynolds
Lecturer - Thomas Reynolds
Court physician - Dr. R. W. Padgham

From Shortsville Enterprise 24 April 1908

John Trickey
drove in from his farm on his milk delivery to the Central last Saturday morning, and after unloading the several large cans containing the lacteal fluid, he drove his staid old gray on to the Main street, stopping in front of Bidwell & Bushnell's store, but failed to hitch the horse to a post. The animal was observed to sneeze a couple of times, and then suddenly started for Slocum's pharmacy, which is next door to B. & B.'s store, and had not only got both itself and rig on to the sidewalk, but had almost reached the drugstore, when the stentorian "Whoa!" of John, who was coming toward the vehicle, caused the animal to stop dead still and wait for further instructions from the surprised owner. The horse was backed off from the sidewalk, and this time John used the tie strap to make his equine fast. It is supposed that the sagacious animal, fearing to "catch his death of cold," had intended to visit the drugstore for the purpose of obtaining some kind of cough remedy, which was in sight in the display window.

From Geneva Daily Times 25 April 1908

Clifton Springs, N. Y. -
The Clifton Springs Civic Club has elected the following officers to act during the ensuing year:

President - Miss Mary Coolidge
Vice-presidents - Mrs. J. W. Rafter, Mrs.
Fred H. Newland, Mrs. G. A. Carpenter

Corr. secretary - Mrs. S. E. Stone
Rec. secretary - Miss Lulu Fox
Treasurer - Mrs. Levi Vanderhoof
Auditors - Mrs. William Mather, Mrs.
S. W. Pitts
Delegates to co. convention - Miss Susan
Wakefield, Mrs. W. J. Durling, Miss
Alice Whiting, Mrs. B. W. Baggerly

From Geneva Daily Times 28 April 1908

Canandaigua, N. Y. - Henry Dibble,
of East Bloomfield, made it lively for his family and two constables on Sunday night. He was at Willard State Hospital for mental trouble some years ago, and of late had acted in a manner that led his relatives to believe it would be best to have him again confined. Dibble is about 50 years old and vigorous, and when he heard two officers were after him he eluded them, going to the woods, where the constables and a posse of neighbors had a merry chase for some time. Dibble was finally captured, and is now in county jail, awaiting removal to Willard.

From Geneva Daily Times 29 April 1908

Rushville, N. Y. -
Last Thursday, Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Douglass, who live near Canandaigua, were very ill with ptomaine poisoning. Mr. Douglass was unconscious for some time and both he and Mrs. Douglass were critically ill. A strange feature of the case was that a young lady who lived with them was taken ill on Friday, while another member of the household was not taken ill until Saturday. It was thought that the poisoning was caused by meat which they had eaten at dinner. Mrs. Douglass will be remembered as Miss Rowena Jones of this place.

From Ontario County Journal 1 May 1908

Bristol, N. Y. -
While Hale Johnson, the 13-year-old son of Albert Johnson, was splitting wood on Saturday, the ax glanced and struck his foot, cutting into the flesh to the bone and laying it open about one and a half inches.

Cheshire, N. Y. - William Ward,
an aged resident of this place, met with a serious accident on Saturday, while with his daughter, Mrs. Frank DeBow, at East Bloomfield. He was on his way from the home to the barn and the high wind which was blowing suddenly started an open buggy which was standing near the barn. Mr. Ward was struck by the buggy and thrown to the ground in such a way that his neck was twisted and it is feared that the bones are dislocated. His left side is partially paralyzed. Dr. S. R. Wheeler, of East Bloomfield, is in charge of the case. Mr. Ward is 77 years of age and not well. He had
gone to be with his daughter while Mrs. Ward was in Canada, called there by the illness of her son, Jedediah Ward. Fortunately, Mrs. Ward found her son improved and was on her return journey when Mr. Ward was injured and reached him that night.

From Geneva Daily Times 19 May 1908
Rushville, N. Y. - Mrs. Maria Peabody
of this village received the congratulations of her friends yesterday, it being her 89th birthday. Aside from blindness, with which she has been afflicted for years, Mrs. Peabody is in possession of all her faculties and is remarkably well for one so advanced in years. She has three sisters living, the youngest of whom is 84 years of age.

From Geneva Daily Times 22 May 1908

Pearl Rappalea,
a young woman employed as a waitress and who has at different times worked at several of the local hotels, made an unsuccessful attempt at committing suicide last night. The woman took a dose of laudanum and then lay down on a pile of stones at the foot of Washington street near the lake front. Luckily she was discovered shortly after taking the poison by a couple of fishermen who were just coming home after an evening upon the lake. The matter was instantly reported to the police and a call sent to the City Hospital. As soon as possible, Miss Rappalea was removed to the hospital and Dr. F. L. Stebbins summoned. The physician worked over the woman until an early hour this morning and it is believed succeeded in getting the poison from her system. The case was reported to the police about 1 o'clock this morning. At the hospital this noon it was reported that the patient was greatly improved and that she would recover. The only reason that can be assigned for the rash act is despondency. Friends of the woman state that she was naturally of a cheerful disposition but that at times she would become despondent and discontented, and that she has before threatened to do something rash. The woman's home, it is stated, is in Dundee. She came to Geneva something over a year ago as a book agent. Soon after becoming here she quit that occupation and secured work as a waitress at one of the local restaurants. Since that time she has worked at different places. She was about as usual last night with friends up until late in the night, when her friends left her supposing that she was going to her room. About 1 o'clock Lewis Miles and Benjamin Sawyer returned from the lake, where they had been fishing. The men started to cross over from the lake so as to come up Washington street. They had gone but a short distance when their attention was attracted by what seemed to be the groans of a person in great pain. The men investigated and upon a pile of stones in a rather dark spot they discovered the body of a woman. She was then partially unconscious. The men made haste to inform the police and summon the ambulance. According to the physician the men must have discovered the Rappalea girl a short time after she had taken the poison, as it had not been absorbed, and the promptness with which she was removed to the hospital undoubtedly saved her life. As it was the physician worked from about 1 o'clock last night until 5 this morning before he pronounced her out of danger. Miss Rappalea absolutely refuses to tell anything at all about the affair. It is supposed that she took about an ounce of the drug, but the authorities have as yet failed to learn where she secured it or any reason for her taking it. It developed in the investigation conducted by the police today that Miss Rappalea purchased the drug at a local drug store on April 26th, stating that she wanted it to stop a toothache. Word from the hospital this afternoon stated that she was doing nicely and that she would recover.

From Shortsville Enterprise 29 May 1908

While in an intoxicated condition, Charles Knapp and Court Harlow, of this village, created a disturbance at the home of John Smith, West Main street, on Tuesday morning about 1 o'clock, that resulted in the shooting of the former. The two young men were taking a walk up Main street and as they reached the Smith home, one of them, in the spirit of fun, picked up a handful of gravel and threw it against a window on the lower floor. This frightened the inmates of the house and, supposing that someone was trying to gain entrance thereto, Will Smith, a nephew of Mr. Smith's, procured a revolver and fired a shot through the window, and then stepping to the door, fired three or four more times. A window was broken, but it is not known whether it was smashed by a shot or the gravel that was thrown against it. It is stated that Smith did not shoot to injure anyone, but to frighten them away from the premises. Mr. Smith, who is employed on the Lehigh Valley railroad, was at work at the time of the shooting. One of the shots struck young Knapp, who was standing on the sidewalk, near the fifth rib on his right side, glancing around and coming out at his back. A suspender buckle was broken by the bullet, and it is thought that it caused the shot to glance, thus preventing its passage through the body.

After being shot he walked to the home of John Record, Main street, where he was compelled to stop, owing to the growing weakness occasioned by the loss of blood. Drs. Cooke and Hovey were immediately summoned and dressed the wound. He was then taken to his home on Railroad avenue. It was at first thought that the wound was serious, but his condition at the present time is such as to give rise to hopes of his recovery. Officer L. H. Aldrich of the village was advised of the affair and made an investigation, and it is improbable that any further action will be taken in the matter. The object of the visit, it is alleged, was that the young men were out on a lark and decided to have some fun with Mr. Smith.

From Geneva Daily Times 1 June 1908

Dr. H. D. Weyburn reported this morning that Mrs. Orin Parish of Exchange street would undoubtedly recover from the effects of a dose of laudanum which she took Saturday night, with suicidal intent. Mrs. Parish is still at the city hospital, where she is being attended by the house physician, Dr. Stebbins. Mrs. Parish took the poison about 9 o'clock Friday night at her home in the Richards Block in Exchange street. She had the bottle containing the drug in a clothes press in the house and immediately after she had taken it she told Mrs. Derby, who resides in the same block, of her act. Mrs. Derby immediately sent for Dr. H. D. Weyburn, who responded and administered an emetic. The physician had Mr. and Mrs. Derby walk Mrs. Parish about the place while a call was sent for the City Hospital ambulance. The emetic and the walking kept the woman from being overcome by the drug but it was decided that it would be safer to remove her to the hospital. At the institution Dr. Stebbins took charge of the case. Mrs. Parish told the attending physician that family troubles were responsible for her desire to end her life. The lower part of the Richards Block is occupied by the Lanasa Fruit Company and when the ambulance stopped in front of the block, a large crowd instantly gathered, thinking that the call was due to something which had happened to some of the Italians.

From Geneva Daily Times 4 June 1908

Naples, NY -
The first serious automobile accident in Naples occurred Tuesday evening, and as a result a wrecked machine lies beside the road halfway up the Griesa hill. Mr. Andrews, with his wife, came here from Canandaigua on business. They started for home at 5 o'clock in the evening . Climbing Griesa hill they found that the gasoline supply was limited. Mrs. Andrews went to a farmhouse to wait while her husband went back to town for more gasoline. While Mr. Andrews was turning around something happened. The machine bolted, dashed up the bank, cut off a small tree, and finally overturned and landed in the soft ditch a hopeless wreck. Mr. Andrews jumped, and escaped without serious injury. Word was sent to Canandaigua and Lucius Wilcox, with a helper, came here in an hour with his big touring car. Men with tools succeeded in extricating the machine, but left it by the wayside. The party went to Canandaigua about midnight.

From Geneva Daily Times 10 June 1908

Canandaigua, N. Y. - Frank Fanning, Jr.,
who was in an automobile collision Friday night, and who was not thought to have received any serious injuries, was taken suddenly ill yesterday afternoon, and it was found that he had received severe internal injuries and is now suffering from peritonitis. It is not possible to determine yet how serious his injuries may be. He is under the care of Dr. P. M. Donovan. Miss Delphia Graves, who was thrown out of the automobile at the same time with Mr. Fanning, and who has been at the Memorial Hospital, is reported as rapidly convalescing.

From Geneva Daily Times 20 June 1908

Phelps, N. Y. -
An angry husband armed with a handful of stones and a burning desire to do bodily harm to the alleged wrecker of his home, broke up an elopement that was about to take place here yesterday. The angry husband was Reuben Crapo, who came here from Elmira a few months ago and who now resides at the home of his step-father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. William Wood, in one of the Beardsley tenant houses a half mile west of Phelps. The elopers were a young woman whom Reuben claims is his wife and a man named Charles Mosher of Elmira. Mosher and the woman came to the New York Central station about 10 o'clock Friday morning accompanied by a four-year-old child, and Mosher purchased a couple of tickets for Elmira. Half an hour later Crapo showed up at the depot and on catching sight of Crapo, the would-be elopers took to their heels, Mosher leading Crapo a merry chase through the driveway back of the depot and freight house to the coal and lumber yard, where he found refuge among the sheds. While the foot race was going on, Crapo kept up a continual fire of stones at his wife's lover and at every step gave vent to murderous threats and vowed vengeance on the fleeing man. Crapo gave up the chase and then turned his attention to the woman, who was attempting to get away but was soon overtaken. A wordy battle ensued, during which the woman remarked that she was not Crapo's wife and would not return home with him. Crapo, however, seized the woman and dragged her a couple of rods before she would consent to return peaceably. The little child sitting in the depot all unconscious of what was going on was taken in the arms of the father and all three started toward Crapo's home. Mosher had been around here for a couple of days and had gotten together a little furniture which he had shipped to himself at Elmira. Yesterday after the fracas he remained in hiding until the 10:48 train pulled in. He got aboard the train minus the woman he was to have taken away.

From Geneva Daily Times 26 June 1908

It is an interesting fact in connection with the nomination of James S. Sherman for vice-president on the Republican ticket that his wife is a descendant of an old Geneva family. Mrs. Sherman's mother was a daughter of Colonel Sherrill, the first commanding officer of the 136th New York State Volunteers, which after being mustered into service in Geneva served throughout the Civil War. Colonel Sherrill formerly occupied the house on North street at the head of Genesee street which was removed at the time North Genesee street was cut through. The house was later occupied by the Torrey family and in recent years has been referred to as the Torrey House. Sherill street was named in honor of Colonel Sherrill and his family.

Return to Ontario County Homepage

Copyright 2006-15, Ontario County NYGenWeb and each contributor and author of materials herein. All rights reserved.