From Geneva Daily Times 1 July 1904

Phelps, N. Y. - Mrs. Eugene Irish,
who lives at Unionville, accidentally took an overdose of chloroform yesterday and for a time was in a precarious condition. Mrs. Irish had been in feeble health and the chloroform was taken to relieve pain. Her husband, who had been doing chores around the barn, found her on returning to the house and immediately summoned Dr. Howe. She is now considered out of any immediate danger.

From Geneva Daily Times 6 July 1904

Shortsville, N. Y. -
While at work haying yesterday, Elias Anderson, an aged Swedish resident of this village, fell to the ground from the top of a load which he was drawing, and a wheel of the heavy wagon passed over his body, breaking several ribs, and causing other minor injuries. Mr. Anderson is the father of Mrs. Charles Doley of Sheldon street.

From Ontario County Chronicle 6 July 1904

The following party of young people, chaperoned by Mr. and Mrs. John Harkness, spent Sunday and the Fourth at Fisher's cottage on the east shore of the lake: Misses Isabella McKechnie, Eliza Burke, Ethel Norris, Lulu Masseth, Belle Hulse, Gertrude Phetteplace and Beulah Hare; Messrs. William Tracey, Charles Bradburn, Charles Parmele, Arthur Dugan, Melvin Spencer and William Barker.

From Victor Herald 8 July 1904

John Mosher
suffered a severe accident Wednesday morning, resulting in the breaking of his jaw and the lacerating of his face. Mr. Mosher is over seventy years of age and was employed by Henry Padgham on what is known as the Brace farm. He was engaged in hitching three horses to a drag and, it is supposed, had an attack of heart trouble, to which he was subject, and fell, startling the horses, which pulled the drag over him inflicting the injuries described. Mr. Padgham, who was waiting in the field for the drag, saw the horses standing by the gate and noticed that Mr. Mosher was not in sight. As he started toward them, the horses turned and Mr. Padgham caught the reins just in time to prevent the drag from again going over the unfortunate man. Dr. Clapper was hastily summoned and brought Mr. Mosher to his home in this village, where he is now as comfortable as could be expected.

From Geneva Daily Times 12 July 1904

Shortsville, N. Y. -
The employes of the Shortsville Wheel company have recently organized a first-class baseball nine that has met with but one defeat in the five games played this season. The team is made up of the following: Pitcher, Ira Corey; Catcher, Ward; First base, Ballard; Second base, Deane; Third base, Roy Corey; Short stop, Bruce Davis; Left field, Ray Corey; Center field, Ford Manly; Right field, John Shaw.

From Geneva Daily Times 19 July 1904

Phelps, N. Y. - Mrs. Robert Tolhurst,
who lives about three miles east of Phelps, was the victim of quite a serious accident Saturday, sustaining several cuts and bruises, but no broken bones. She will recover. Men from Geneva were fishing in the vicinity of Mrs. Tolhurst's home, and not having very good luck, decided to remain over night and try it again the next day. They engaged lodging at the Tolhurst home and were given a room on the first floor, that was generally occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Tolhurst, the latter taking a room upstairs. When the young men did not return to their home at Geneva, their parents became alarmed and at once instituted a search. They drove to the Tolhurst house, arriving there past midnight, and aroused the occupants. Mrs. Tolhurst arose and thinking she was on the first floor, walked to the stair landing and pitched headlong down the stairs. When help arrived, she was found lying at the bottom, unconscious and bleeding from a number of cuts and bruises. Medical assistance was summoned and she was made as comfortable as possible.

From Geneva Daily Times 20 July 1904

The horse owned by Rev. A. H. Knight, ran away yesterday, while coming down the hill on East Main street. It was hitched to a Democrat wagon, occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Knight, Mrs. John Bell and Miss Sarah Osborn. The carriage swayed from side to side, and while crossing the bridge, hit against the iron railing, but was not overturned. Mrs. Knight managed to turn the horse into the driveway of the Presbyterian church, where it was stopped. The occupants of the wagon were badly frightened, but unharmed.

From Geneva Daily Times 27 July 1904

Canandaigua, N. Y. - Mrs. Michael S. Hickox Durand,
the oldest resident of Canandaigua, and probably the oldest resident of Ontario county, celebrates her ninety-seventh birthday today, at her home four miles south of the village. Mrs. Durand is in many ways a remarkable woman, her mind being as clear and strong as it was twenty years ago, and her memory being extremely good. Her health is excellent, and her time is largely spent in piecing quilts, of various patterns, of which she has completed twelve since she was ninety years of age. Mrs. Durand was born July 27, 1807, four miles west of Canandaigua. She is the daughter of Captain George Hickox, who served as a captain of a company of state militia during the war of 1812, and who died at the ripe old age of ninety-four. Levi Hickox, one of the pioneers of Western New York at the time of the Phelps and Gorham purchase, was Mrs. Durand's grandfather. He served as a soldier in the Revolutionary war, being with Washington at the battle of Trenton. Mrs. Durand's mother's name was Eunice Holcomb. She was a pioneer school teacher, coming to New York state for the purpose of teaching. The well-known statesman, Joshua Giddings, was in his youth one of her pupils. In 1831, Mrs. Durand, then Miss Hickox, was married to Elias Durand, who was a direct descendant of Dr. John Durand, one of the original Huguenots, who emigrated to America from New Rochelle, France, in 1685. Seven children were born to the couple, six of whom are still living. Mr. and Mrs. Durand early united with the first Methodist church in Canandaigua, and Mrs. Durand has for seventy-one years been an active and devoted church member. Her husband died thirty-nine years ago. Many of her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren will be with her today to offer her congratulations, and to help make the day one of pleasure to the old lady, who has passed so many milestones on the road of life.

From Ontario County Chronicle 27 July 1904

The first patient to be treated at the Thompson Memorial hospital was Hiram L. Hutchens of Chapin street. His right foot and ankle had been injured by a fall into a ditch which he was having excavated at one of his Chapin street houses, and the attending physician, fearing that some of the small bones might be broken, had him removed to the hospital for examination under the X-ray. It was found that his ankle was badly sprained but that no bones were broken.

From Victor Herald 29 July 1904

East Bloomfield, N. Y. -
The following party, chaperoned by Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Chase of New York City, are sojourning at Canadice lake for a few days: Henry C. Arnold and sister, Miss Jennie Wheeler, William Buell and sister, Miss Caroline, Cladd Chase and sister, Miss Clara, Miss Julia Quick and John Buell.

From Geneva Daily Times 1 August 1904

Frank Derr,
of Chapinville, met with an accident while at work in the Martin Wheel works. A heavy piece of machinery, which he was helping to move, slipped and one end struck him in the eye, causing a serious injury. The lid was so badly cut that several stitches had to be taken to close the wound.

From Geneva Daily Times 3 August 1904

James Kelleher,
driver of one of the city teams, stopped an exciting runaway shortly before 1 o'clock today, in front of the Smith opera house building. Two small children were in the wagon at the time, both escaping injury. The horse was attached to a buggy and started in front of the Weld drug store while the mother of the children was putting some groceries and other supplies in the wagon. In attempting to get hold of the reins to stop the horse, one of the children pushed a wooden express cart out of the wagon, which struck the horse's heels. At this the animal bounded up the street on a run. Kelleher, who stood in front of the city building, saw the imminent danger of the children, and dashing into the street, caught the horse by the bridle. No damage was done except the smashing of the express cart.

While attempting to stop a runaway on Exchange street last night, John Mulcray of Exchange street was injured about the feet and legs. He was dragged some distance by the excited horse, and near Canal street became wedged between the curbing and the wagon. The horse, which was owned by a farmer who had stopped at a hotel, became frightened at a searchlight on the front of a R. & E. car and started to run down Exchange street. He was going slowly, and Mulcray, thinking that he could easily stop him, ran into the road and made a grab at the reins. This only frightened the animal still further, with the result that Mulcray was injured.

From Geneva Daily Times 8 August 1904

Canandaigua, N. Y. - Clair Davis
of Bristol is suffering as the result of a mistake which might have proved very serious. While working in the hayfield, a hay seed lodged in Mr. Davis' eye. It gave him considerable trouble and he went to the house and procured a bottle of what he thought was an eye wash. He applied this to his eye, but instead of relieving the pain, the eye grew much worse until it was necessary to summon a doctor, when it was found that the liquid put in the eye was carbolic acid. The physician immediately took measures to save the sight of the eye, and it is reported to be healing.

Shortsville, N. Y. - The Shortsville Gun club held a shoot at the range, on Main street, Friday, which was well attended by the local sportsmen, and where some excellent records were made. The highest average was won by William Allen and Clarence Heath, Wendall K. Bushnell and Benjamin W. Slocum won firsts in different events. The club has made arrangements with William Lewis and will fit up a range in Lewis park, Railroad avenue, for future meets.

From Ontario County Chronicle 10 August 1904

The following house party, chaperoned by Mrs. Smith of Canandaigua, are enjoying a two week's outing at "Arbordale," Cottage City: Misses Anna Doyle, Minnie Hogan, Margaret Lally, Kathryn Law and Elsie Huebler of Canandaigua, Anna Giligan of Penn Yan, Anna Coons of Rochester, and Messrs. John Hogan, Thomas Melvin, Richard Griffith, Joseph Lally, James McPhillips, Frank Welch, William Casey of Canandaigua and Ray Banks of Rochester.

The following house party chaperoned by Mrs. H. W. Lapham spent several days last week at "Glen Gerry": Misses Elsie McKechnie, Julia Coyle, Bertha Case, Anna and Louise Quigley, Elizabeth Turner, Louise Donovan, Julia Kelly, Ethel Smith, Ethel Davidson, Lovetta Cappon of Canandaigua and Mary Toole of Geneseo.

The following house party chaperoned by Mr. and Mrs. John Skinner of Geneva, returned to their homes after enjoying a two weeks' outing at "Buslies": Misses Ethel Wadsworth, Essie Bety, and Mrs. Fletcher of Geneva; Misses Anna Pierce, Jennie Cullinane, Maude Etherington, Glena Dubel, Lillian Herrington, Bertha Frier, Hattie and May Finn of Canandaigua; Messrs. Frank McGuire, George Sweeney and Mr. Briggs of Geneva; Messrs. Stanley Wilson, Frank Pierce, Paul Schamp, William Wilson, Clayton Hulse and Fred Pierce of Canandaigua.

From Geneva Daily Times 11 August 1904

Phelps, N. Y. - James Hefferon,
a farmer, is reported missing from his home south of Oaks Corners, since last Friday night, and up to yesterday, no trace of him has been found. Sunday evening he was seen in Phelps in company with a young man named Sullivan, and both started towards home, about midnight. Hefferon was forty years of age and lived with his sister.

From Geneva Daily Times 12 August 1904

Canandaigua, N. Y. - Miss Fannie Allen
of East Bloomfield, who has been visiting in this village for some time, met with a peculiar and perhaps very serious accident yesterday morning. Miss Allen had been on an errand upstairs and was descending when she suddenly slipped and fell part of the way down. A carpet sweeper was standing in a corner at the foot of the stairs, and Miss Allen had the misfortune to run the end of the handle under her arm penetrating the flesh to about three inches. Dr. H. C. Buell was called and dressed the injury. At last reports the young lady was doing as well as could be expected.

From Victor Herald 12 August 1904

A very interesting event occurring last Saturday, August 6th, was the annual reunion of the Thorpe family held at Hoppaugh's, on Canadice Lake. Some one hundred representatives of this tried and true family were present, among them, Mr. and Mrs. Ezra Knowles, who made the long journey from Adams, Michigan, to be present. Those in attendance from here were Mr. and Mrs. O. E. Thorpe and daughters, Mildred and Isabel, who were accompanied by Mr. and Mrs. Orville Curtis of Canandaigua. A very entertaining letter of regret from Franklin Knowles of Litchfield, Mich., was read by Mrs. Willard Caskey of Canadice. O. E. Thorpe gave a very interesting talk, embodying a succinct history of the Thorpe family, the genealogy of which, it is expected, will soon be published in book form. The annual reunions of the family will hereafter be held on the first Saturday of August in each year, and an organization for this and kindred purposes was effected with the following officers: President, Henry Thorpe of Canadice; Vice-President, O. E. Thorpe of East Bloomfield; Secretary, William Thorpe of Honeoye Falls; Treasurer, Milo Thorpe, of Canadice. Weekly Review 

From Geneva Daily Times 20 August 1904

Manchester, N. Y. - Mrs. Andrew Smock
and Mrs. James McLoughlin will chaperone the following party of young people to "Auburndale,", Cottage City, on Canandaigua lake:  the Misses Mary, Margaret and Anna Dunn, Margaret Phipps, Jennie McCarthy and Loretta McLoughlin, all of Shortsville; Miss O'Keefe of Canandaigua; James and Patrick O'Loughlin, Andrews S. Crawford, A. Farnz and James Atkinson of Shortsville; G. Engbert of Canandaigua; Frank Childs of Buffalo, Frank Russell and William Bryant of Rochester.

From Geneva Daily Times 22 August 1904

Shortsville, N. Y. -
The members of the Hiram L. Brown branch of the Brown family assembled at Brown's Landing, Canandaigua lake, Friday, and enjoyed a fish fry and clam bake. William M. Brown, of Baltimore, was chief cook, while Louis L. Brown of Brooklyn, was fireman. Supper was served to forty people in true picnic fashion on the beach. After which the company gathered in congenial groups and discussed old times. Among those present from a distance, were Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Brown of Baltimore; Miss Edwina Brown of Baltimore; Mr. and Mrs. Louis L. Brown, of Brooklyn; Mrs. Henry T. Elliott and sons of Corning; Miss Ella M. Chase, Miss Sue Thomas and Miss Albert Walker of Washington; Miss Arey of Brooklyn; Andrew Harkness of Pittston, Pa.; Rae Howland, of Ann Arbor; Miss Gertrude Ward of Washington; Mrs. Isabel Stewart of Brooklyn.

From Ontario County Chronicle 31 August 1904

Painful Accident at Victor -
Saturday John Conover Jr., while assisting to thresh on the John Mahon farm attempted to descend from a straw stack on a chain when he was caught on a hook on the end of the chain which tore a large hold in his abdomen so as to nearly expose the intestines. Medical help was at once summoned and the wound sewed up. It is thought that he will recover.

From Victor Herald 2 September 1904

Bristol, N. Y. -
Last Thursday afternoon a severe wind storm visited this place and during the gale, Jerome Case, a farmer living about one and one-half miles south of here, was blown off an oat stack which he was topping out, striking on his face and left shoulder. A portion of the stack was blown on him and it was some little time before he could be gotten out from under the straw. When found, he was nearly suffocated and unconscious, remaining so for over an hour. Dr. Wheeler was called at once. Mr. Case is a man 75 years old.

From Geneva Daily Times 6 September 1904

Rushville, N. Y. - Lewis Mertz
and bride came home from Ionia Saturday evening to spend a few days with his mother. About 11 o'clock a crowd of about forty boys and young men congregated at the house west of this village, to give them a horning. Mr. Mertz's mother, in coming down stairs, fell and sustained a badly broken arm and severe injuries to her head. A physician was immediately summoned and the "horning" was brought to a sudden termination.

From Geneva Daily Times 7 September 1904

William Marlow,
an employe of the American Can company, had the first three fingers of his right hand taken off while running a press at the works of the company yesterday. Marlow was engaged in cutting out blocks of tin and allowed his fingers to be drawn under the heavy press, which came down with sufficient force to almost sever them from the hand. Dr. G. B. Young, the company physician, was called, and it was found necessary to amputate the fingers. It is believed that no further serious effects will come from the injury.

Seneca Castle, N. Y.  -
During the recent survey for the placing of the cement walk in front of the Presbyterian church, a search among the papers in the possession of Henry J. Peck revealed the following interesting document, the original deed of the church property:
"This indenture, made the 6th day of May in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and thirty - 1830, between Thomas Ottley of the town of Seneca, in the county of Ontario and state of New York and Lucinda, his wife, of the first part, and Nathan Whitney, Henry W. Jones, John Yeckly, J. Tallman, Selah Hart, trustee of the Presbyterian society of Castleton, of the same place, of the second part, witnesseth that the said party of the first part for and in consideration of the sum of 100 dollars, to them in hand paid by the said party of the second part, the receipt whereof is hereby confessed and acknowledged, have granted, bargained, sold, remiss, . . . . .   Excepting two pews and the ground they stand on in the house on the above premises being No. 10 in the North Alley, and No. 20 in the South Alley. With the privilege to go to and from the side pews. Together with all . . . . .
The document in its quaint language goes on at length to hand over the property to the "Second Part to have and to hold forever.

From Geneva Daily Times 7 September 1904

Flint, N. Y. -
Recently, while driving through here, Henry Raymer of Stanley, was overtaken by a big automobile, and fearing his horse might be frightened, signaled the autoist to stop. As usual, the signal was disregarded, and upon Mr. Raymer's refusing to let the car pass, some hot words were exchanged. Mr. Raymer has since learned the number of the machine and threatens to prosecute the autoist. James Clark, last Friday, while driving toward the village, met a large touring car running at least forty miles an hour, and he was crowded into the ditch by its passing. It is evident to residents along the macadam that some strenuous measures must be taken to prevent speeding through here and to force the auto drivers to heed signals.

From Geneva Daily Times 8 September 1904

Canandaigua, N. Y. -
Word just comes to Canandaigua from Bristol, that Miss Clara Wheat of that place, lies in a critical condition at the home of John Gregg, a couple of miles south of Baptist Hill, as the result of an attempt to take her life by shooting herself in the breast. Miss Wheat, it is alleged, was jealous of her lover, who had paid some attention to another girl in the hop field where all were engaged in gathering the hops on the farm of John Gregg. It is alleged that Miss Wheat left the field, and went to her home, half a mile away, where she obtained her brother's 22 caliber revolver, and started back for the field. When between Mr. Gregg's and Morey Trick's farms, she shot herself in the left breast, the shot lodging near the heart, being slightly turned by a rib. Miss Wheat then walked to the field and showed her wound to her lover, telling him that he would soon be rid of her. She was then removed to the Gregg farmhouse and Dr. B. T. McDowell summoned. He has been over her constantly since, and hopes to save her life, although she refuses to take nourishment and declares that she will still finish up the work begun and end her life.

From Geneva Daily Times 14 September 1904

Frank McCormick,
of North Exchange street, who is at present playing baseball with the Coudersport, Penn. team, will leave that organization tomorrow to enter Bucknell university at Lewisburg, Penn., where he will try for a tackle position on the football team. He is a fast man in any position, and his friends are confident that he will make the Bucknell team. This university always has a strong team and plays such elevens as the Carlisle Indians, Yale and Princeton.

From Geneva Daily Times 19 September 1904

Henry Sullivan,
of No. 43 Jackson street, manager of the Ontario Coal company's yards fell out of bed at his home last night while ill and dislocated his right shoulder. Mr. Sullivan is very ill today and his condition requires the constant attendance of a physician. Mr. Sullivan had been complaining for a week, and last night he walked up town a short distance, but became dizzy and weak and was compelled to return. He went to his home and throwing himself on his bed tried to recover from the weakness. Instead of recovering he became worse and in rolling over fell from the bed. Physicians were notified and soon the injured man was made as comfortable as possible. His weakness is attributed to a run-down system. It is not thought that serious results will follow the attack.

From Geneva Daily Times 23 September 1904

The formation of a local historical society has stirred up considerable rivalry among the older residents of the city, all of whom are striving for the honor of the longest residence in his city. The honor is believed to lie between W. E. Hayes, the Castle street tinsmith, who came to Geneva along in the forties, S. H. VerPlank, who has been identified with Geneva banking institutions since along in the fifties, and Henry Loomis and William Smith, who have been residents of Geneva since about 1850. The honor so far seems to rest with Mr. Hayes, who has been a member of the local Masonic lodge since 1845.

From Geneva Daily Times 23 September 1904

Harry D. Marshall,
of No. 177 Lewis street, was badly injured about the face late yesterday afternoon by being stuck in the mouth by the handle of a windlass crank which he was using in hoisting his gasoline launch from the water near the long pier. He had the boat clear of the water when the crank got beyond his control and the handle struck him with force in the mouth, cutting a long deep gash across his upper lip and breaking one and damaging another of his front teeth.

From Geneva Daily Times 26 September 1904

Shortsville, N. Y. - Luther J. Howe,
who was thrown from his wagon July 5, when his horse became frightened by a passing automobile, and who received a compound fracture of the right leg, was on his milk cart again Saturday morning.

From Ontario County Chronicle 28 September 1904

The friends and relatives of Herbert J. Edwards, a wood worker employed at F. R. Beecher's planing mill on Niagara street are much disturbed over his sudden and unaccountable disappearance and the failure of efforts to locate him. Mr. Edwards was one of Mr. Beecher's most trusted employees. About two weeks ago, he lost a portion of one of the fingers of his left hand while working on a buzz saw. As he was not yet able to resume his regular duties, Mr. Beecher had lately given him employment at lighter work and for several days he had been engaged in collecting accounts for his employer about the village. Wednesday morning he left the office of the mill ostensibly upon a collecting trip and that was the last seen of him in Canandaigua. The bills which he was supposed to have with him were later found in a desk at the office of the mill. Persons who were acquainted with him report having seen him in Hopewell, the last authentic report being that he was seen on a Rochester and Eastern car at Seneca Castle. Search has been made for him in Geneva but without avail. His family was greatly worried over his absence and are making all possible efforts to locate him. They will be assisted in the search by the Maccabees and Odd Fellows of which societies he was a member. Edwards is a married man with two small children and resided on Gregg street.

From Geneva Advertiser 4 October 1904

Patrick O'Keefe,
employed at the Herendeen Works, met with an accident early Saturday morning that will lay him up for a few weeks. He was at work among the sectional boilers, when a heavy section fell against his right leg, breaking it below the knee. We did not learn how bad the fracture, but it is feared the bone is splintered. Some of the heavier castings weigh over 500 pounds, and had it been one of the heaviest, the bones would have been broken sure.

From Geneva Advertiser 11 October 1904

Mr. Jonathan H. Wilder says that every man who owned property on the Castle road when he was a boy -- that is between his farm and Seneca Lake -- is dead or has moved away. There isn't a man who has lived on the old Castle road as long as he. We guess that the next oldest is the editor of this paper. We know them all from Main street to the Melvin Hill road, and call off many of the names now -- Ruckel, Codington, Sterling, McGregor, Godfrey, Crittenden, Hildreth, Bronson, Warner, Guilford, Probasco, McKane, Butcher, but west of there we are a little at sea until we get to the Wilder place. Probably it is the same all over the country.

From Geneva Advertiser 18 October 1904

George Carr
is another old citizen passed the age of fifty years, who lives on the place where he was born. He thought when he registered to vote the other day, that he was the oldest man in Geneva who lives on the place where he was born, but he found another a few years ahead of him, and in the same ward, and he knew it when the name was given to him. We think that E. B. Webster is still another, in first ward, but we are not sure he lives on the place where he was born, nor do we think Charley Kipp does. Of course, there are many older, but all have changed residences.

Mrs. Isaac B. Dusinbury and a son are in the hospital suffering from typhoid fever leaving a little girl, aged 14 years, to care for a family of eight. If this isn't hard luck we don't know what is.

From Geneva Daily Times 19 October 1904

Phelps, N. Y. - Norman Rockefeller
of this village observed his ninety-second birthday Monday. While enjoying a pleasure ride with his daughter, Mrs. C. T. Bradley, he called upon a number of old friends, among them being Col. T. C. Stevens whose ninety-seventh birthday will occur Friday; Eliphet Stotenberg, who is in his ninety-third year; Truman Dewey, Dr. G. C. Prichard, and Earl Humphrey. Mr. Rockefeller takes an interest in the topics of the day, and keeps himself well posted on the principal events. His brother, William, the father of John D. Rockefeller, the Standard Oil magnate, is ninety-five years of age, and is living in the West.

From Victor Herald 21 October 1904

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - John Fitzmorris,
one of the oldest of the active men of the town, narrowly escaped serious, if not fatal, injury in a runaway Monday. He was driving past the residence of Mrs. S. H. Hollister with a load of empty apple barrels when a barrel fell from the load, startling his horses. They were soon beyond his control and dashed down the hill, scattering barrels as they ran and throwing their aged driver into the road. He received a severe shaking up, some painful bruises and several cuts about the face.

From Ontario County Journal 21 October 1904

Information is desired as to whether any of the descendants of Ebenezer Matteson are now living. He was born between 1791 and 1794. He had two brothers, Jeremiah and Joseph; and a sister, Kate, and sister, Jemimah, the latter being a a twin of Joseph. Descendants are believed to be living somewhere in the vicinity of Canandaigua, N. Y. Ebenezer Matteson married Prudence Burlingame. His brother, Jeremiah, married Clarissa Burlingame, presumably sisters, Ebenezer's children, so far as known, were Alvira, Mary Jane, Fanny, Janette, Eben, Melissa, and Sarah.  Janette married David Eddy and is believed to have settled in Canandaigua. Their children were Elmira, Rose and Prudence. Can any of the old residents of this section give any clue to the present whereabouts of any of the descendants of Mrs. David Eddy, nee Janette Matteson, or of any other branch of Ebenezer Matteson's family descendants, or of the descendants of Jeremiah Matteson, who married Dorris Cook, of or Kate Matteson, her sister. If so, they will confer a great favor by notifying William H. Spear, Bridgeport, Conn.

From Geneva Daily Times 25 October 1904

Rushville, N. Y. - Mrs. Charlie Johnson,
who resides east of this village, fell from a wagon Friday, which passed over her limbs, splintering the bones of one and badly bruising her.

From Geneva Daily Times 28 October 1904

Shortsville, N. Y. - Patrick McNally,
of Manchester, foreman of the coal pocket at the Lehigh yards, fell twenty feet from the top of the trestle to the coal platform Wednesday afternoon, and sustained severe injuries. He was hurt about the head, his back was injured, and he received a thorough shaking up.

From Geneva Daily Times 29 October 1904

While operating a press at the American Can company's plant this morning, Frank S. DeVaney of No. 37 West avenue, had the misfortune to lose two fingers on his left hand, the members having been drawn under the press with a piece of tin. Dr. G. B. Young dressed the injured hand. DeVaney is a member of the Thirty-fourth Separate company and it is thought that his injuries will necessitate his discharge from the service.

From Geneva Daily Times 3 November 1904

Martin McMann
of Clifton Springs arrested on Exchange street last night by Officer McDonald for intoxication, when arraigned this morning pleaded guilty and was sentenced to ten days or $5 fine. He was allowed to go on a promise to remit the money to Chief Kane as soon as he reaches home and friends.

From Geneva Daily Times 21 November 1904

For some months reports have been current that Peter Damick, the Italian who runs a fruit stand on Main street, just south of the First Methodist church, has been selling tobacco and cigarettes to boys under sixteen years of age. Saturday Chief Kane learned of several of these youthful tobacco customers of the Italian. He summoned them to the police station, where they declared that they had purchased cigarettes from Damick. On their assurance the chief swore out a warrant for the arrest of the fruit vender. When he was arraigned this morning and was fined $2 for each offense. He paid the fine of $6 and was discharged.

Rushville, N. Y. - Two Rushville women were seriously injured in a runaway Friday afternoon. They are Mrs. G. A. Whitman and her niece, Miss Rose Robinson. They had an old horse belonging to Mrs. Blair, a neighbor, which they drove to Middlesex. On their return, in order to avoid a threshing machine, they took the Overackers road, and when passing the vineyard of Mrs. Emma Stebbins, their horse became frightened at a large ash heap beside the road, jumped and threw himself into the ditch, the wagon and its occupants being overturned. Miss Robinson crawled out from under the wagon and dragged out her aunt, who had become unconscious. Help soon arrived and they were taken to the home of a relative, Edward Carey, in Middlesex, and a doctor summoned. Mrs. Whitman has a bad puncture in her head, where a hair pin was forced into it, her neck is injured, the pelvis bone cracked, and her whole body strained and bruised. Miss Robinson received severe injuries to her right limb and left arm, and a bad scalp wound. She was able to ride to her home. Mrs. Whitman was taken to her home.

From Ontario County Chronicle 23 November 1904

Bristol Center, N. Y. -
Tuesday evening when Mrs. Levi Totman was driving home from Horace Cases's house, a piece of harness broke, causing her horse to run away. She was thrown out and had three ribs fractured. Dr. McDowell attended her.

From Geneva Daily Times 26 November 1904

Canandaigua, N. Y. -
The mystery which surrounded the sudden disappearance of Herbert G. Edwards, of this village, on September 21, has at last been cleared up, at least partially so, for it has been ascertained that he is still alive instead of having met with foul play or having committed suicide as was feared. At the time of Edwards' disappearance he was employed at the lumber yards of Frank R. Beecher, and was sent to to do some collecting for his employer. He never came back, and vanished as completely as if the earth had swallowed him up. His distracted wife and his aged parents and others searched for him or for some trace of him for weeks. Edwards' wife received a letter yesterday from her runaway spouse postmarked Oswego. The letter was only a line, stating that the writer inclosed $3 and requesting she kiss the baby for him. It also stated that he might see his family in the future. Edwards did not mention his present whereabouts and did not tell the reason of his going away.

From Geneva Daily Times 30 November 1904

Canandaigua, N. Y. - William Kenneer,
a young man employed in pressing hay at Michael Foley's farm, west of the village, had a remarkable escape from a serious accident yesterday. A side of the hay press, weighing 2300 pounds, fell on him, pinioning him to the earth. He was picked up in an unconscious condition and Dr. H. C. Buell, who attended him, found severe bruises about the hips, but unless internal injuries should develop, his condition is not considered dangerous.

From Ontario County Chronicle 30 November 1904

Victor, N. Y. - Luther Norton,
who resides on High street, met with a most unfortunate accident last Tuesday afternoon while working on the farm of Allen E. Hunt. Mr. Norton was engaged in feeding a corn husker and ventured his hand in a little too far, and as a result sustained a badly crushed right hand. It was found necessary to amputate the two middle fingers. The other two are save though severely and painfully bruised.

Reed's Corner, N. Y. - The reunion of the Megaffee family was held at Halls Corners on Thanksgiving. Among those present were: Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Putman and family, Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Roat, Mr. and Mrs. Albert Megaffee, Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Megaffee and family, Mr. and Mrs. Emory Megaffee, Mr. and Mrs. Robert Bigham of this place. There were twenty-four of the family present, there being eleven more who did not attend.

From Clifton Springs Press 1 December 1904

Orleans, N. Y. -
Early Friday morning, while climbing the bank of Flint Creek, near the Orleans mill, Samuel Bill, a lad of fifteen, had the misfortune to discharge the contents of a rifle into one of his limbs, the ball entering near the ankle. He was taken to Clifton Springs, to the office of Dr. Wm. Turck, on Saturday morning. The doctor located the ball with his X-ray machine. Dr. M. B. Tinker, at the surgical department of the Sanitarium, removed the ball and dressed the wound, and the young man is now doing nicely.

From Victor Herald 2 December 1904

Walter Ashe
was found lying unconscious Sunday morning in his barn, where he had gone to do his usual work. When he did not return to the house as soon as he was looked for, his brother, John Ashe of New York, who had been spending his Thanksgiving vacation with him, went to the barn to look for him and found him lying on the floor unconscious. With the exception of feeding one horse, no chores had been done and it is supposed he had been lying there about an hour. Mr. Ashe immediately summoned their neighbor, Mr. Harvey, and they carried the stricken man to the house. Dr. H. S. Benham of Honeoye Falls, who was called, thought Mr. Ashe must have fallen from the hay loft, injuring his spine. Mr. Ashe return to consciousness about an hour after he was found. He cannot remember anything about how he was injured, or what happened after he left the house. A bruised hip was the only visible injury. At present writing Mr. Ashe's mind is still a blank in regard to his injury.

Another victim of the corn husker is George Nudd, of East Bloomfield, who lost three fingers of his right hand in the remorseless mechanism, Wednesday afternoon, while working for Thomas Forbes. The young man is now in the Beahan hospital at Canandaigua. Luther Norton of this village, who was similarly injured last week, is getting along as well as could be expected and is able to be around on the streets.

From Geneva Daily Times 3 December 1904

Mrs. F. M. Mackie
of Gorham, was thrown from her buggy in Seneca street shortly before noon today and her right hip and side quite seriously injured. She was able to return home. Mrs. Mackie, accompanied by her husband and mother, were driving down Seneca street. In front of the Carrollton, the horse stopped on a street car rail, and fell heavily to the pavement. Mrs. Mackie, becoming frightened, tried to jump, but a sudden twist of the wagon caused her to fall. The other occupants remained seated and escaped harm. The horse was unhurt.

After working for thirteen years at the local plant of the Phillips & Clark stove company for from $2 to $2.35 per day, performing labors decidedly arduous, George McCullough, forty-one years old, of Pre-emption street and Hawkins avenue, grew tired of work Thursday morning and decided to take a short rest. The rest proved beneficial in more ways than one for yesterday Mr. McCullough was notified that he is one of thirteen heirs to the estate of his great grandfather, valued at $325,000. The share of each heir will be about $25,000. This morning he resigned his position with the stove concern. Mr. McCullough, who is married and has two children, a boy and a girl, came to this city thirteen years ago from Erie, Penn. He was born at Harbor Creek, a small town ten miles from Erie. According to his own story, his great grandfather, James Churchill, died at Erie twenty-five years ago leaving a vast acreage of farm property and valuable holdings. He was aware that some of his people would receive some of this money when a final division was made but it was so long coming that he had completely forgotten it until yesterday when he was confronted by an uncle, Orville Wheeler, whom he had not seen in many years. Mr. Wheeler came to this city to take up what had heretofore been a fruitless search for McCullough. He has been trying to find the Genevan for some years to close up the estate of the great grandfather and had visited many cities and towns in New York and Pennsylvania. The only clue that he had of McCullough was that he worked for a stove company. Yesterday the man visited Phillips & Clarks and was jubilant to learn that there was a McCullough employed there. Being informed that the man was taking a vacation, he renewed his search. He found McCullough at the Interurban Hotel in Border city.

The meeting by the two men is described by eye witnesses as being similar to that of a long-separated father and son. McCullough, entirely ignorant of the mission upon which his uncle had come, was overjoyed at his presence, while the visitor, conscious of the joy he would cause to his nephew and family by making the object of his mission known, was reluctant to divulge it until they were safe within the walls of McCullough's home. At the house, the little family circle gathered about while Mr. Wheeler related his experiences in searching for McCullough and finished by informing him that he was at present an heir to about $25,000, and that he could expect to receive the money or its equivalent sometime during January. Wheeler had his nephew sign papers proving his identity and as he is the last heir to produce, the uncle left last night for New York for the purpose of closing up the business. When questioned concerning his good fortune this morning, Mr. McCullough was very modest. He admitted that he had no idea of ever receiving any money from relatives inasmuch as he understood that the distribution of the funds in trust had been made many years ago. He said that the thirteen heirs to the vast amount are all relatives of his and comprise the entire circle of the descendants of the Churchill family.

Asked concerning his prospects for the future, Mr. McCullough said that he hadn't even thought of them. He intends to go to Syracuse to work shortly but cannot say as yet what he will do when he gets his money. "I will have enough to last the remainder of my days, and I will probably secure a position where the work is not too hard and will invest my money," was all he would say.

Canandaigua, N. Y. - Several Canandaiguans have been unfortunate the past day or two, and as a result are now under the care of their physicians. Michael Doran, of Park street, was kicked in the thigh by a colt, while he was working in the stable of Willis H. Tuttle. Doran was badly bruised. Dr. M. R. Carson attended the injury.

An employe of the New York Central road, Adam Boop, was severely burned about the legs Thursday night, while working in the railroad yards. A lighted torch which he carried set fire to his oil soaked clothing, which flamed up instantly, and Boop was badly burned before those who came to his assistance were able to subdue the fire. He was removed to the Memorial hospital, where J. H. Jewett dressed his burns.

Patrick Finnegan, who lives on the town line between the village and East Bloomfield, was brought to the Memorial hospital yesterday and his injuries were determined by means of the X-rays. Finnegan was found by his physician, Dr. H. C. Buell, to be suffering from a fracture of the bone of the left shoulder. He received the injury by driving against a clothesline in a neighbor's yard. The accident happened after dark.

George Nudd, a resident of East Bloomfield, is at the Canandaigua hospital, where he is being treated for injuries to his right hand, which was badly mangled Wednesday, in a corn husker. Dr. A. Beehan found it necessary to amputate the third and fourth fingers entirely, and the thumb at the first joint. The other two fingers were also shortened.

From Geneva Daily Times 6 December 1904

Phelps, N. Y. -
On complaint of his wife, Joseph Stanton was arrested by Officer Smith and arraigned before Justice Cornford yesterday charged with third degree assault. In the complaint it was alleged that Stanton, after eating his dinner Sunday, became involved in an argument with his wife over some trivial matter and losing his temper, he picked up a case knife from the table and hurled it at her head. The handle of the knife struck her over the eye and caused it to turn black and blue. Stanton admitted throwing the knife but claimed he had no intention of hitting her. In view of his past record, which, it is said, has been far from being good, Justice Cornford gave Stanton a sentence of fifteen days in Canandaigua jail.

From Geneva Daily Times 10 December 1904

Charles H. Star,
a miller, who has been employed at the works of the Patent Cereal company for the past seven years, was painfully injured just before noon today. His left arm and face were cut in several places. At the time of the accident, he was cleaning around an idler, a wheel used to adjust the tension in a belt, when his sleeve caught in the wheel. The rapidly turning wheel pulled him down to the floor, but he was able to pull himself loose, by tearing out the sleeve of his frock and shirt. In the meantime, however, his arm and face were drawn against the belt which inflicted several severe flesh wounds. Dr. G. R. Young was called, who on arriving at the works, found that no bones were broken. After dressing the man's injuries temporarily, he was removed to his home, No. 48 Elmwood avenue. The doctor thinks that he will be able to resume work within a week.

From Geneva Daily Times 13 December 1904

James Dutton,
forty years old of No. 108 Lewis street, an employe of O. Goodelle, iron merchant, was very painfully injured in a runaway accident near Phelps last evening. His left side was badly bruised, his arm sprained and blackened and a deep gash was cut in the top of his head. According to the story told by Dutton, he was driving a three-horse team attached to a heavy load of scrap iron from Phelps to this city and while going down a steep hill just south of Unionville, east of Phelps, one of the horses became frightened at the rattling of the iron and behaved in such a manner as to start the other horses running. Mr. Dutton remembered trying to stop the team, but that is all. He thinks that the team started to run away about 6:20. Some time later he recovered his senses and found himself lying in the road. Pains were shooting through his left side and blood was flowing from the cut in the forehead. He gained his feet, only after an effort, and wandered aimlessly about searching for the horses. Finally becoming exhausted, he applied at a farm house for succor. The farmer hastily hitched a team and brought Dutton to this city. He was badly dazed, but managed to ask to be taken to the office of his employer. Mr. Goodelle was there and he summoned Dr. George Means and had the man taken to his home. After the man had been divested of his heavy overcoat, a new state of affairs revealed itself. The man's pockets were turned inside out and his pocketbook with about $50 could not be found. The back case of his watch had been wrenched off and the timepiece had stopped at 6:25. The police were notified by members of the family and Dutton, being still in a dazed condition, told a story of how he was assaulted, robbed and tossed by robbers from the load of iron which had been driven. The police investigated, searched Dutton and soon found the pocket book in the man's right boot. A big hole in his trouser pocket had permitted the book to slide down his leg. In the meantime, Mr. Goodelle began phoning to various places west of the city in an effort to locate the team and soon received word that they were at a farm near Mitchell's station, practically unharmed. A farmer took care of them over night and this morning a local employe brought the outfit home.

How Mr. Dutton came to have his pockets turned inside out is not definitely known, but the damaged watch is attributed to the fact that in falling from the wagon, Dutton struck on a rapidly revolving wheel, that literally twisted the cover off of the case. It is not thought that an attempt was made to rob him, but that while in a dazed condition, he imagined such to have been the case and turned out his own pockets in a search for his money.

From Geneva Daily Times 19 December 1904

Phelps, N. Y. - George Brownell,
a veteran harness maker in the employ of W. H. Cornford, was seized with a sinking spell as he was at South Wayne street early Saturday evening, and fell directly of the tracks. He was seen by the crossing flagman, who, with the assistance of others, removed Mr. Brownell to the home of Mr. and Mrs. Sidney Condit, his boarding house, where he now rests quite comfortably. It was first thought that he had suffered a stroke of paralysis.

From Geneva Daily Times 21 December 1904

It has been a common sight to see persons of all ages and sexes sliding down Seneca street hill after losing their equilibrium, but it is uncommon to see a horse make the descent. Such a feat was accomplished today by a brown delivery horse attached to a laundry sleigh owned by F. L. Shyne of No. 511 Exchange street. The horse was left by its driver, John Brown, standing in front of a fraternity house on Main street near the college. Becoming frightened it started to run down Main and when it reached Seneca had attained high speed. In attempting to turn short the horse went up on the walk near the Hook and Ladder company's house and falling, slid, sleigh and all, down the street and directly into the door way of the Bonnett & Co. grocery in the Schnirel building. The horse's head struck a display stand and articles of merchandise arranged upon it were strewn over the walk. The stand was demolished. The horse was quickly subdued by some men. Save for a few cuts on its legs, the fractious animal was uninjured. Much excitement reigned on the street during the cavortings of the horse down the hill. Several steeds attached to delivery wagons standing in front of stores became frightened and started to run causing a stampede. All were captured before any damage was done. Several shoppers who were on the street barely escaped injury.

From Geneva Daily Times 27 December 1904

Bullets were flying like flakes of snow for a few minutes in Little Italy Saturday night and the opportune appearance of Policeman McDonald prevented a wholesale shooting affray. One resident, Joseph Anglio, was arrested and taken to the station. Yesterday morning in court Judge Wyckoff fined him $10. As was expected by the police, the Italians started to celebrate the near approach of the festival day early Saturday evening and a policeman was detailed to cover the colony. Barely had Officer McDonald reached North Sherrill street when he saw a man, who afterwards proved to be Anglio, step out of a door and discharge both barrels of a shot gun in the air. Almost simultaneously with this an unknown Italian fired a shot from a revolver through a window in the living room in the second story of a boarding house further north on the street. There were nine people, mostly women and children, in the house at the time but unfortunately the bullet expended its force after striking the heavy window glass and dropped to the floor on the inside. At the station Saturday night some of Anglio's friends appeared and claimed that he had not shot through any windows. They named another man whom the police are looking for. Anglio was released on $50 bail Saturday night for his appearance yesterday.

Return to Ontario County Homepage

Copyright © 2004 - 2015 Ontario County NYGenWeb and each contributor and author of materials herein. All rights reserved.