From Geneva Daily Times 5 January 1910

Mrs. Samantha Stanton Nellis
of Naples, grandmother of Miss Frances Gregory of this city, is the guest of honor at a family party held in Rochester today to celebrate Mrs. Nellis' one hundredth birthday anniversary. Mrs. Nellis is a frequent visitor in this city and two years ago attended a meeting of the Daughters of the American Revolution in this city. She is very active for one of her advanced years; she is still able to read, do fine sewing, converses well and attends church. She is a member of the D. A. R. and is one of the few real daughters, her father having acted as bodyguard to George Washington.

From Ontario County Journal 7 January 1910

Honeoye, N. Y. -
At a regular meeting of Camp No. 9058, Modern Woodmen of America, on December 30, the following officers were elected:

Venerable consul - G. E. Patterson
Worthy advisor - M. H. Bell
Excellent banker - J. B. Sleight
Efficient clerk - H. L. Bennett
Escort - C. M. Henry
Watchman - L. M. Affalter
Sentry - G. R. Beach
Physician - E. B. Sayre, M. D.
Managers - G. R. Beach, G. E.

Rushville, N. Y. - An enjoyable family reunion was held at the home of Mr. and Mrs. John French on New Year's Day. The following guests were present: Mr. and Mrs. C. M. King, of Orleans; Spencer Mallory and family, Clarence Eggleston, Mr. and Mrs. C. H. Baldwin and Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Taylor. Officers elected for another year were Mrs. King, president, and Mrs. Taylor, vice-president.

From Geneva Daily Times 12 January 1910

The installation of the new officers of Chapter No. 83, Order of the Eastern Star, was held last evening at the Masonic Temple Club. The officers installed were:

Worthy matron - Mrs. Eugene Casler
Worthy patron - Charles Struble
Assoc. matron - Mrs. J. M. Kennedy
Secretary - Mrs. H. S. Snyder
Treasurer - Mrs. Sarah J. Turner
Conductress - Mrs. F. J. Wirtz
Assoc. conductress - Mrs. Charles Struble
Warden - Miss Edna Gasper
Sentinel - John Lambert
Marshal - Mrs. L. J. Licht
Chaplain - Mrs. A. B. Stahl
Pianist - Miss Laura Casler
Adah - Mrs. Robert Rippey
Ruth - Miss Elsie Pontius
Esther - Miss Ida Gasper
Martha - Miss Jennie Laws
Electa - Mrs. W. E. Marher
Trustee - Mrs. J. M. Horner

From Ontario County Journal 14 January 1910

Naples, N. Y. -
Thursday morning as George Bennett was lighting the fire, the head of the match flew into the window and soon there was a lively fire in progress. His wife, upstairs, was alarmed and in her haste, fell down the stairway heavily. One ankle was severely sprained and she was otherwise bruised. The damage by fire was $50 or more, but was less serious than the injury to Mrs. Bennett.

From Geneva Daily Times 17 January 1910

Clifton Springs, N. Y. -
The newly installed officers of the Clifton Springs Rebekah Lodge, No. 406, I. O. O. F., are as follows:

Acting Past Grand - Mrs. Alice L. Barker
Noble grand - Mrs. Estella Siegwald
Vice grand - Mrs. Elizabeth Durkee
Recording secy. - Miss Adah Brown
Treasurer - Miss Mary Follett
Financial secy. - Miss Maude Bishop
Warden - Miss Katherine Wilson
Conductress - Miss Etta Howell
Chaplain - Mrs. Mary McDonald
R. S. to N. G. - Mrs. Lizzie Mosher
L. S. to N. G. - Mrs. May Becker
R. S. to V. G. - Miss Myrtle Ellrington
L. S. to V. G. - Miss Edna Wynkoop
Inside guardian - Mrs. Anna Follett
Outside guardian - Miss Florence Raymond
Trustee, 3 yrs - Mrs. Hazel Maslyn

A sleighride was given by Charles Beard last Friday evening. After riding about town for a few hours, the party went to Charles Beard's home on Sherrill street where a lunch was served and cards played. The chaperones were Miss Elizabeth Rippey and Miss Mary Smelzer. Among those present were the Misses Florence Coon, Mildred Fay, Helen Moore, Edith Smith, Hannah Thomas, Laura Brown and Gertrude Bowen and Messrs. Max Henry, Newton and Dunsmore Hubbs, Reginald Wilson, Leonard Ely, Lewis Cass and Charles Beard.

It has developed that Samuel S. Connelly of No. 26 Avenue A, who fell while moving some furniture at the home of Mrs. Anna Herendeen of No. 511 Main street on January 8th, is suffering from a fracture of the right leg. At the time of the accident it was thought that he only sustained a bruise, but it later developed that one of the small bones of the leg was fractured near the ankle and the other dislocated. Connelly is employed as a teamster by Patrick O'Malley.

From Geneva Daily Times 21 January 1910

Thomas Smith,
porter at the Nester Hotel, had a narrow escape from serious injury this morning. Mr. Smith was walking along Exchange street and when he was in front of the Dreamland Theater, several large icicles which had hung from the water table of the building became loosened on account of the thaw and fell to the sidewalk. The chunks of ice, which weighed about 50 pounds, came so close to Mr. Smith that portions of the ice struck him on the foot.

From Ontario County Journal 28 January 1910

The medical staff of Thompson hospital reported yesterday that heroic methods were being used to save from amputation the right arm of Miss Clara Figenscher, which was crushed in a collar machine at Canandaigua laundry on Tuesday. It was said that it would be several days before a decision could be reached. Miss Figenscher was cleaning the rollers of the machine, preparatory to beginning work. The cloth she used caught and her right arm was drawn between the rollers which were about half an inch apart, and pulled in to a point between the elbow and shoulder. The heat had not been turned on and the young woman thus escaped what might have been a horrible addition to the unfortunate accident.

From Geneva Daily Times 28 January 1910

Mrs. Michael Carney,
who resides west of Seneca Castle, met with a serious accident yesterday afternoon while returning from Geneva in a bobsleigh with her husband. After they had passed the Northern Central Station, the team that Mr. Carney was driving became unmanageable and Mrs. Carney attempted to jump out. She was thrown to the ground striking her head upon the ice. The force of the blow was sufficient to render her unconscious and to cut a deep gash in her scalp. In an unconscious condition Mrs. Carney was carried into the house of Mrs. Louise Salisbury, nearby, and Dr. G. W. Sargent of Seneca Castle was summoned. After restoratives were administered, Mrs. Carney regained consciousness. Her injury was dressed and early last evening she was removed to her bed, but is reported to be resting comfortably. 

From Geneva Daily Times 3 February 1910

Phelps, N. Y. -
While walking over a strip of ice near her home on North Wayne street a few days ago, Mrs. Hannah Kent fell and struck on the edge of a pail. Very little attention was given to the accident at the time but during the past three or four days, the painfulness of the injury caused Mrs. Kent to have an examination made of it. The physician found that Mrs. Kent was suffering from a fracture of three ribs received at the time of the fall.

From Ontario County Journal 4 February 1910

Naples, N. Y. -
Col. W. W. Clarke, No. 44, Sons of Veterans have installed new officers: F. S. Richardson, commander; A. G. Hotchkiss, senior vice commander; Edwin Briggs, junior vice commander; camp council, Frank, Coleman, Frank Briggs, William H. Tompkins; secretary, F. A. McMillan.

From Geneva Daily Times 5 February 1910

Canandaigua, N. Y. -
Death was narrowly averted to Mrs. William R. Smith Thursday when she accidentally took a quantity of carbolic acid by mistake at her home on Gorham street. She discovered her mistake at once and immediately telephoned for a physician, who arrived in time to apply remedies which caused prompt relief. She is resting comfortably, and it is not believed that she will suffer any serious effects from her mistake.

From Ontario County Journal 4 March 1910

Bristol, N. Y. - 
Last week Tuesday about 10 a.m., as Ralph Quail was passing the home of Isaac Kimber, who lives alone, his attention was attracted by a rapping on the window. Going inside, he found Mr. Kimber on the floor in great pain. Mr. Kimber said he had fallen four times and that he had lain on the floor since five o'clock. Dr. McDowell was called and found two ribs broken close to the backbone. A sliver of one had punctured the lung. Mr. Kimber had been subject to dizzy spells.

Naples, N. Y. - T. J. Kenfield barely saved himself, team and sleigh, from going over the bank of the western glen as he drove into town on Monday, by reason of sluicing on the ice. As it was he lost from the sleigh a tub of butter, some good horse blankets, a big bundle for the laundry, and a pair of arctics. They were caught by the rushing torrent and rapidly borne on to the lake.

From Geneva Daily Times 8 March 1910

Rushville, N. Y. -
At the annual meeting of the Baseball Association the following officers were elected: Manager, Charles Wood; treasurer, Fred Schwickherd. The following committee, Dr. A. T. Halstead, chairman; W. F. Pearce and G. M. Fitch was appointed to work with the manager to appoint a captain for the team; also to care for all property belonging to the Athletic Association, such as grandstand and ball park.

From Ontario County Journal 18 March 1910

Ionia, N. Y. -
Recently as Ralph O. Case and his daughter and three children were driving into Ionia from the east, they had a narrow escape. They were in a cutter and driving slowly when around the bend whirled the 7:15 train out of Ionia without a toot or a warning. Mr. Case sprang from the cutter and just reached the horses' heads as the train sped by scarcely three feet from him. Had they been tossed into eternity, as many others have been, the trainmen would have sworn that they gave warning and no one would have been left to prove their negligence.

From Geneva Daily Times 29 March 1910

Canandaigua, N. Y. -
An accident in which an automobile figured with disastrous results to the machine occurred here on Gibson street late yesterday afternoon. W. Frank Marks, a farmer residing in the town of Hopewell some miles east of this village, was driving toward his home along Gibson street with his automobile in which was an oil can which started to tip or slide out of the machine. Mr. Marks attempted to catch the can and in so doing turned his steering wheel so quickly that the machine swerved to the side of the street and struck a hydrant going over it with the front axle and knocking the top of the hydrant off. The front axle of the automobile with both front wheels were torn off the car and the machine was otherwise damaged. Mr. Marks, the only occupant of the machine, was not much injured being simply shaken up.

From Geneva Daily Times 4 April 1910

While playing ball at Kashong yesterday afternoon, Stewart Foster of 76 William street, was hit on the nose by the ball. His nose was broken and it was necessary to bring him to Geneva where the bone was set by Dr. C. C. Lytle.

From Ontario County Journal 8 April 1910

West Bloomfield, N. Y. - 
On Tuesday, Mrs. Augustus Wright entertained in honor of her mother, Mrs. Betsey Reed Olmstead's 91st birthday. Covers were laid for ten. The table decorations were pink and white carnations. Four sons and their wives were present. Mrs. Olmstead retains all of her faculties to a remarkable degree. She is the mother of ten children, seven of whom are living. She also has 20 grandchildren, 30 great-grandchildren and two great-great-grandchildren.

From Ontario County Journal 15 April 1910

Naples, N. Y. -
Several accidents have occurred during the week. Darwin Tyler, a man nearly 70, while holding a colt, was pulled to the ground and had his left leg broken just above the ankle. Eugene Hanier left his horse unhitched and it ran up to Main street to the station, down the track till he fell with both legs broken and was killed. Mrs. C. D. Avery, a large woman, while driving out of the yard, somehow fell from the seat and suffered two broken ribs.

Allen's Hill, N. Y. -  Raymond Ogden met with a painful accident on Friday, while working in the woods. A log rolled on one of his hands, crushing and lacerating one finger badly. It was feared at first that it would be necessary to have it amputated.

From Geneva Daily Times 18 April 1910

Bert Eastman,
one of the bunkers at the Hydrant Hose house, was seriously injured at the rooms of the company yesterday morning. Mr. Eastman, after rising, was about the room with some of the other members and was standing near the dresser. Suddenly he slipped and as he fell his head struck the corner of one of the drawers of the dresser which happened to be open at the time. The force of the blow was such that a corner of the drawer was knocked off and Mr. Eastman was rendered unconscious. Dr. Knickerbocker was hurriedly called and after reviving Mr. Eastman, he dressed the severe gash which had been cut in his head.

From Geneva Daily Times 19 April 1910

Clifton Springs, N. Y. - 
A man known as "Doc" Robinson of Plainsville, working under contract to saw wood on a farm north of this village, was seriously injured yesterday. While working at a big saw, the left side of his body and his face were torn, his left arm broken at the elbow and his ankle injured. He was brought to the hospital here and attended by Dr. Malcolm Woodbury.

From Geneva Daily Times 21 April 1910

Manchester, N. Y. - Ernest VanDuyne,
a boiler maker employed at the Lehigh shops in this village, was burned about the face and neck Monday. He was engaged in putting in new flues in a locomotive; and for that purpose what is known as a kerosene heater was being used to give the flues the right temperature. One of the pipes on the heater stopped feeding and in a case of this kind it is necessary to blow in it to start the oil. Someone by mistake had put gasoline in the heater and when Mr. VanDuyne tried to start it, the gasoline flew from the end of the pipe where he blew to the flame of a torch several feet away, and followed a blaze of burning oil in which Mr. VanDuyne was caught.

From Geneva Daily Times 22 April 1910

Canandaigua, N. Y. -  Matthew Donnelly,
an aged inmate of the county house, is believed to be one of the three heirs of Patrick McGuirk, who died in California eighteen months ago, leaving an estate of $300,000. Attorney N. D. Lapham of Geneva has been retained by Donnelly and an investigation of the man's claim is being made. Donnelly claims to be a nephew of McGuirk, who came to this country from Ireland several years ago and amassed a considerable fortune in the West by mining. He did not know of his uncle's death until he recently read in a New York City paper that a search was being made by the California authorities for the heirs to the estate. He claims one-third of the amount.

From Ontario County Journal 22 April 1910

Bristol, N. Y. -  Mrs. Henry Sears
invited the following guests to surprise Mrs. Laura Sears last Saturday, the occasion being her 77th birthday: her daughter, Mrs. Charles Knapp; her sister, Mrs. Charles Dunham, and daughter, Mrs. Frank Briggs; Mrs. Sabra Andrews of East Bloomfield, and little Isabel Andrews, whose birthday it was; Miss Prudence Williams, Mrs. T. O. Case, daughters Katherine and Virginia; and Mrs. Clinton Hayward. After partaking of an excellent dinner, Joe Jones of Bristol Center gave the older ladies a fine auto ride, and later the children. It was a delightful day for all.

Allen's Hill, N. Y. -  Clayton Watson, a young man about 21 years old, living in the west part of the town, was badly injured in a runaway accident on Friday night, on his way to Livonia. Mr. Watson was accompanied by a young lady friend. Someone came up behind them, turning out to drive by, which frightened their horse. The rig collided with a tree and both occupants were thrown out. The concussion broke both Watson's legs above the knee and he lay unconscious for some time. The young woman was bruised but not seriously hurt. Physicians were summoned and the young man was taken to his home where the fractures were reduced.

From Geneva Daily Times 25 April 1910

Dominic Felice,
an Italian laborer employed at the plant of the Empire Coke Company, was painfully injured at the plant of the company in Border City yesterday. Mr. Felice is employed as a coke leveler. Yesterday while walking across a coke bin on a board, he slipped and fell to the ground, a distance of about twelve feet. He struck on his head and was rendered unconscious. No one saw the accident at the time and it was some time afterwards when George Fitzgerald discovered the man unconscious and bleeding badly from a deep gash in the head. The man was carried to the workroom and a hurried call sent for physicians and the City Hospital ambulance. Doctors H. D. Weyburn and H. J. Knickerbocker attended the injured man and found that while the gash in his head was a severe one, it would not be necessary to send him to the hospital, and so he was taken to his home in Torrey Park after he had revived, and the injury was dressed. Unless there internal injuries in addition to the cut, Mr. Felice is expected to recover in a short time.

From Geneva Daily Times 26 April 1910

Shortsville, N. Y. -  John Loughney
of Hebron street, who is an engineer employed by the Lehigh Valley R. R.., met with a serious accident accident Saturday night. Mr. Loughney's work requires him to be considerably out of his cab window, while taking the switches in the railroad yard and as it was raining that night, he was trying to shelter him from the weather and stood with his face to the window on the outside of the cab and holding onto a projection to keep from falling. His gloves were both wet and oily and the consequence was he lost his hold, falling with such force that he was injured internally. He is suffering considerably but it is hoped that the injuries are only temporary. His parents from Rochester are here, also his two brothers-in-law from Spencerport.

From Geneva Daily Times 29 April 1910

Clifton Springs, N. Y. - 
During the past few days two pioneers of this village have celebrated their birthdays, and their combined ages are 184 years. On Sunday, Mrs. Sarah A. Moore, who resides on Teft avenue, celebrated her 94th birthday, and a large circle of neighbors and friends called on her during the day to help her properly observe the occasion. She also received several appropriate remembrances. On Tuesday, Mrs. Martha J. Carver, who resides with her son, Joseph A. Carver, on Crane street, celebrated in a quiet way the 90th anniversary of her birth. She received many gifts and post cards in remembrance of the day. Mrs. Carver is remarkably active for one of her age, and is a familiar figure on the village streets. She also takes a wide interest in the current events of the day, both national and local, and keeps herself thoroughly posted on all matters of interest.

Clifton Springs, N. Y. -  On Wednesday afternoon a very painful accident occurred to Joseph Walters, who is employed at the Frank Lindner meat market in this village, while he was at work at the Foster farm, about one mile north of this village, butchering a hog. The animal had been killed and Mr. Walters was in the act of dressing it, and had a heavy oak plank, with two large spikes driven through it, to dress the animal on. In swinging the animal up, one of the spikes caught, and as it fell it struck Mr. Walters on the top of the foot, going completely through a rubber boot which he had on, and almost through his foot. The spike was withdrawn from his foot and he was removed to his home in this village where the wound was dressed. Although very painful, it not thought to be a serious wound, but will lay him up for several days.

From Ontario County Journal 29 April 1910

Gorham, N. Y. -  Mrs. Lorenzo Alden
suffered a stroke of paralysis last Thursday. Just what time the stroke occurred is not known. Mr. Alden has a repair shop in the village and often his wife brings his supper to him. Mr. Alden waited until 8 o'clock and then going home found the house in darkness and his wife unconscious on the floor. Everything was in confusion. Mrs. Alden had finished baking, and must have been preparing to mop, as a pail of water was overturned near her. It is thought she must have been unconscious four hours or more. She is in a precarious condition. Her daughter, Mrs. Charles Clark of Gowanda, came on Saturday.

Townsend Bostwick, one of the Academy's best athletes, who suffered a compound fracture of the left leg between the hip and the knee at Lakeside park on Saturday, is making satisfactory progress toward recovery, under Dr. F. A. Brockmyre's care at the Memorial Hospital. Bostwick and Parmele went after a fly and in the resulting collision, Bostwick was knocked forcibly to the ground, Parmele landing upon him, not only breaking his leg, but painfully lacerating the flesh with his spike shoes.

From Geneva Daily Times 10 May 1910

Clifton Springs, N. Y. - 
After about ten days' tryout, Manager George F. Fowler, of the local baseball association, has announced the following team which he will take to Shortsville on Saturday of this week, to open the season for the local teams: Charles B. Leland, pitcher; catcher as yet undecided; Ernest Muskett, first base; second base, Frank Love; third base, William Muskett; short stop, William Gallagher; center field, George McCormick; left field, Harry Barker; right field, George Cayward.

From Geneva Daily Times 11 May 1910

Rushville, N. Y. -  Elmer Hawley
met with an accident last week which nearly cost his life. While plowing with a sulky plow, the plow struck a stone with such force as to throw him against the levers, knocking his breath out and breaking one rib.

From Geneva Daily Times 16 May 1910

Naples, N. Y. - Wesley Coleman,
a veteran nearly 70 years old, fell from a ladder while painting a house and was severely injured. He struck on his feet and it is believed that his back is paralyzed. He was visiting his sister, Mrs. Jordan Bradley.

From Geneva Daily Times 17 May 1910

John Connors,
a stove moulder, was seriously injured in a peculiar manner at the Phillips and Clark shop yesterday. Mr. Connors was engaged in putting up a mould and had finished the work to a point where it was necessary to turn the box over. He picked it up and gave the box a quick turn. As he did so, he felt a stinging pain in his right arm and as he laid the box down noticed that blood was flowing from his forearm. An investigation showed that there had been a nail in the side of the box and that it had torn its way half way through the forearm and lodged there. Companions came to the aid of Mr. Connors and it was necessary to tear the flesh in order to get the nail out of the arm. Temporary aid was rendered at the shop and then Mr. Connors was obliged to go to a physician to have the wound treated.

From Geneva Daily Times 19 May 1910

James Kenny,
a resident of Spring street, was painfully injured as a result of an altercation with John Wiggins, a resident of the Town of Geneva, this morning. The report of the affair as received here was that Mr. Kenny and Mr. Wiggins, who are nurserymen, were ploughing in the same lot this morning. The men got into an argument over the work they were doing, and it is claimed that after having some words, Mr. Kenny started to walk back to his own team. It is then alleged that Mr. Wiggins threw a stone at him and hit him in the ribs. The stone struck Mr. Kenny with such force that it is claimed that two of his ribs were fractured. Dr. Nieder of this city was called to attend to his injuries. The affair happened in the Town of Geneva so that it was not reported to the local authorities.

From Geneva Daily Times 20 May 1910

Mrs. Frederick Dobbins
of Exchange street had a long tale of woe to unfold to the police yesterday. The gist of the tale was to the effect that her 14-year-old daughter, Anna, had left town in company with Irving Dobbins, who, Mrs. Dobbins, declares, already has one wife living in Pennsylvania and another wife in Geneva. Mrs. Dobbins declared that she wanted the girl brought back so that she might be placed in some reform institution and that she also wanted Dobbins brought back so that he might be taken care of. No regular charge was lodged against the parties as the authorities wanted some depositions giving some substantial evidence of the facts in the case before making a move. It was alleged, however, that Dobbins had a wife and two children here and that the reports received from Pennsylvania indicated that he had left a wife in that state. The evidence gathered also seemed to indicate pretty clearly that he had left Geneva in company with the Dobbins girl. The girl in the case is a daughter of Mrs. Dobbins by a former marriage. Mrs. Dobbins is the wife of Frederick Dobbins, a brother of the man in the case, so that the affair furnishes sufficient complications to make it interesting and as a result, it is being carefully investigated.

It is alleged that the girl was employed at the Smith boarding house. Dobbins boarded at the Fox Hotel in Exchange street. It is claimed that the two had been together frequently and that Dobbins had been ordered to keep away from the home of Mrs. Dobbins. Mrs. Dobbins claims that she has been told that the couple were together last Wednesday evening and that Dobbins took some articles of clothing from the hotel on that evening. She also claims that the girl took a dress suit case filled with clothing. Neither Dobbins or the girl have been seen here since last Thursday and it is alleged that on that afternoon she waited for him in front of the hotel. The next trace of the pair, according to the information gathered, is that they were seen together on a Rochester and Eastern car out of Canandaigua. Mrs. Dobbins claims that she believes that they are in the vicinity of Pittsford. She was not at all particular as to the charge that was made against them but she particularly wanted to get her daughter, who she stated was only 14 years and 6 months of age, back home in order that she might be placed in some institution, and she seemed just as anxious to have Dobbins punished. It was stated this morning that the deposition of the woman and also of the other parties who had seen the couple together would be taken, and that as soon as this was done a warrant would be issued and effort made to get trace of the couple.

From Geneva Daily Times 23 May 1910

Manchester, N. Y. -  Abbott Hessney,
a wealthy Syrian of this village, was arrested Saturday by Game Protector, W. A. Reed of Canandaigua, charged with illegally shooting a Mongolian pheasant during the closed season. The charge states that the offense was committed in the town of Farmington on Thursday, May 5th. Hessney conducts a store in this village and has a merchandise wagon peddle in the rural districts, and it is charged that on the day mentioned, Hessney shot a pheasant while he was on the seat of his wagon. Hessney claims the charge is false, and says he has engaged a lawyer and will carry the case to the highest court before he will submit to being fined for an offense he did not commit. The affair is causing a ripple of excitement among sportsmen.

From Geneva Daily Times 25 May 1910

Rushville, N. Y. -  E. G. Lapham,
a well-known resident of this village, has been missing from his home since last Thursday and his family is greatly alarmed over his absence. He went to Rochester on the day that he disappeared, making several purchases in the stores there and having the articles sent to Mrs. Lapham. No reason is known for his disappearance, although he had been despondent for a long time. Mr. Lapham is 44 years old, 5 feet 11 inches in height, weighs 147 pounds, medium dark complexion, small dark moustache, dark eyes, medium build, dark hair mixed with gray, bald on top of head. He wore a blue suit on the day he went away, black derby hat and gray mixed raincoat. He wears glasses. He also wore a Masonic button on the coat lapel.

From Geneva Daily Times 26 May 1910

Clifton Springs, N. Y. - 
While working at the Lehigh Valley roundhouse in Manchester, Fred Philley, of this village, met with a very painful and what came near being a serious accident. He, with another workman, was attaching a large bar of iron to the underside of an engine, when the weight of the iron got the best of them, and fell, striking Mr. Philley on the top of his right foot, injuring the same quite badly. Mr. Philley was removed to his home here, but will be obliged to use crutches for some time to come.

From Geneva Daily Times 27 May 1910

Manchester, N. Y. - 
A deed of a piece of property located in the village of Manchester, owned by Mrs. Augustus Turner, having been given her by Mrs. Harriet Jackson with a Sheriff's conveyance, which disappeared from the Turner household years ago, was found yesterday in a strange place. James Galbraith, a mason of this village, who has a contract for building a cellar for Stuart M. Bennett, Jr., was with some men excavating for the wall, and two feet underground a box was found which contained the papers that have been missing from the Turner home for years. Finding the papers makes the matter more of a mystery than ever as they were buried about thirty rods from the Turner home and on the same street.

From Ontario County Journal 27 May 1910

Honeoye, N. Y. - 
On Friday, while Harry Briggs was driving his farm team attached to a democrat wagon on the east lake shore road, he met the Myers engine, which makes the trip from the Myers lumber camp to Hemlock each day, hauling huge loads of lumber. The horses shied at the passing engine and when Briggs attempted to control them, one line broke. He finally jumped to safety, allowing the frightened animals to proceed in their mad course. They were captured after a short run. A broken harness and wagon was the damage resulting.

Honeoye, N. Y. -  Arden C. Bishop, a lifelong resident of this village, celebrated his 93d birthday on May 18. Letters and cards of remembrance were received from absent friends and relatives, and many friends called during the day. Mr. Bishop is in very feeble health.

Canadice, N. Y. - A surprise visit was given Mrs. Susan Burch last Friday, it being the 91st anniversary of her birth. For some years she has lived with her niece, Mrs. Carrie Barringer, at their lakeside home. Judging from her appearance and actions, one would think she had hardly passed the 70th milestone. There were present her two nephews, Ross and Barton Swartz, and families of Garlinghouse; Mr. and Mrs. Chester Garnsey of Naples; Rev. Stone and wife of Springwater; and J. R. Partridge of this town.

From Geneva Daily Times 2 June 1910

Frank Timberelo
appeared at the police station this afternoon and stated that he wanted to enter a complaint against Frank Balistero for hitting him. Mr. Balistero arrived at the station a short time afterwards and stated that he had struck the man but that it was because he had abused the women at his home and threatened to shoot them. Mr. Balistero stated that Mrs. Timberelo would make a complaint against Timberelo to this effect. In addition Mr. Balistero stated that Timberelo had caused trouble on numerous previous occasions. It was alleged that a short time ago he took everything out of the house, including his wife's clothing, and sold it and then left here. A short time afterwards he came back, but Mrs. Timberelo did not want to receive him and he started a disturbance as a result.

Today, it is declared, he went to the house in Center street and began to abuse the women there and threatened to shoot them. It is declared that several persons saw him with the gun. Timberelo did not have a gun when he arrived at the station, but Mr. Balistero claimed that he had left it home when he came to the station. It was stated further that Timberelo had another wife and that as a result of similar treatment, she left him and went to California. The parties, after telling their stories, waited at the police station for Judge Keyes so that they could make their complaints to him.

From Geneva Daily Times 3 June 1910

Seneca Castle, N. Y. -  Mr. and Mrs. A. C. Ottley, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Parshall, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Whitney, Mrs. Tom Burns, Miss Charlotte Bray, Mrs. May Belle Webster, Mrs. Elizabeth Cook
and Mr. and Mrs. Myron Pierson attended the seventeenth anniversary of the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Allis of Clifton Springs on Wednesday. Mrs. Allis was formerly Miss Ethel Pierson of this place.

From Geneva Daily Times 6 June 1910

Phelps, N. Y. -
While operating a press at a Shortsville manufacturing plant Saturday afternoon, John Butterfield of Phelps was the victim of a very painful accident. Mr. Butterfield was adjusting a section of the machinery and while doing so, unconsciously set the press in motion. Both hands were drawn into the press and before the power could be released, three fingers on one hand and four on the other were crushed. After having the injuries cared for, Mr. Butterfield was removed to his home in Phelps. The full extent of the injuries cannot yet be determined, but it is thought three or four of the digits below the first joint can be saved.

From Geneva Daily Times 9 June 1910

Canandaigua, N. Y. - 
In a town filled with special agents of the excise department and which has voted to restrain the selling of liquor within its limits, an Italian named Guiseppe Latini, it is said, was found to have been engaged in the business of selling liquor without a license. The place of the trafficking was South Bloomfield, in the town of East Bloomfield, and the Italian, it is alleged, kept his saloon in an old store, where he dispensed firewater and other articles on Sundays and evenings, while during the day he was engaged as a common laborer on the state road.  Yesterday afternoon the charge was laid at the door of the Italian, Latini. Deputy Sheriff George Clohecy, of the town of Bristol, was called in a few days ago and has been quietly making an investigation of his own without the direction of his superiors. Sunday he found the depot of the Italian's supplies at South Bloomfield, which village consists of a mill, an old store and a house or two, and also found a large number of Italians who had imbibed too much firewater and had been fighting with one another considerably.

Yesterday an examination was held of a preliminary nature before Justice of the Peace, Henry W. Hamlin, of this village, and as a result of the evidence taken a warrant was issued for the arrest of the Italian. Deputy Sheriff Clohecy promptly obtained the services of an automobile and proceeded to Bloomfield, where he took the Italian into custody and brought him here, where he was arraigned before Justice Hamlin. Upon his request, an adjournment was taken until tomorrow morning, to give him an opportunity to obtain the services of an attorney. He was held in the sum of $200 cash bail, which he was unable to furnish. The place of the operations is only the second house from the residence of Harlan Fisher, a special agent of the excise department, and in the town of East Bloomfield also resides Andrew Pomeroy, another special agent. Edgar Norton, another deputy sheriff, is also a resident of that town, and there are also besides these officials five constables and four justices of the peace in East Bloomfield. Still the Italian had sufficient nerve to dispose of liquor on a large scale, it is said, and to have escaped apprehension for a considerable time.

From Geneva Daily Times 10 June 1910

A number more Genevans have, during the past few days, secured automobile licenses from the Secretary of State. Among the licenses issued to Genevans are Fred W. Yells of Main street  for a Brush 10; L. W. Weyburn of Seneca street for a Ford 20; Fred T. Nester of Genesee street for an Olds 40; and to M. K. Mitchell of Pine street for a Buick 18. In addition to the Genevans receiving licenses, the following in this vicinity have recently received licenses: George Buckalew, East Bloomfield, Ford; E. Raymond Church, Canandaigua, Brush; J. B. Heath, Shortsville, E. M. F.; William Page, East Bloomfield, Buick; M. R. Hoeroff, Stanley, Ford; George Bourne, Phelps, Olds.

From Ontario County Journal 10 June 1910

Naples, N. Y. - Mrs. Elizabeth Vinton Granby,
widow of John W. Granby, passed her 91st birthday last Saturday, June 4. Her home is with her son, George R., and there she received many friends. She is remarkably well preserved, with eye as keen as ever, and has the prospect of several years before her.

Canadice, N. Y. - Ellen Hoppough, aged eight years, daughter of L. F. Hoppough, was left for a moment to hold her father's team hitched to a heavy wagon, when the horses ran away. The plucky girl sat still and hung to the lines. After running around the fields, the horses were caught and no damage was done, the girl still holding the reins.

From Geneva Daily Times 14 June 1910

The annual picnic of the Barden and Witter families will be held at the home of Arlington Mapes, near Rushville, on Thursday, June 30th. A cordial invitation is extended to all of our friends to attend and enjoy the occasion. Arlington Mapes, Pres.; Wm. H. Witter, Sec.

From Ontario County Journal 17 June 1910

Joseph Pasquale Parise, Marguerite DeRider, Florence Sherry
and Anna Palmano were baptized at St. Mary's church on Sunday.

While turning from Chapin into Main street on his motorcycle on Wednesday noon, John C. Kinde was thrown beneath the machine, which skidded on the pavement, slippery from recent sprinkling, and suffered the fracture of his right thigh just above the knee. Drs. Brockmyre and G. W. McClellan gave Mr. Kinde temporary relief at his home on Chapin street and he was soon afterward removed to Memorial Hospital. The unfortunate accident will lay Mr. Kinde aside for several months.

From Geneva Daily Times 25 June 1910

Flint, N. Y. -
The executive committee of the Robinson reunion met at the home of Willis Robinson on Thursday. The members of the committee are: Messrs. Charles and Philmore Robinson of LaFayette; Edward Withington of Rochester and Mrs. Phoebe Norton of Springwater.

From Geneva Daily Times 27 June 1910

Clifton Springs, N. Y. - 
The Gillette family reunion was held on Friday afternoon at the home of Francis W. Gillett, northwest of this village. Charles A. Gillett and wife of this village, the parents of the various Gillett families who were in attendance, were there and spent Saturday at the home of their son, Francis. There were thirty in attendance at the gathering.

From Geneva Daily Times 1 July 1910

Clifton Springs, N. Y. - 
On Tuesday while on his trip with the Holmes & VanDyne grocery wagon, George Mosher attempted to step down from the wagon and slipped on the wheel and fell in such a manner as to break his right ankle. The accident happened in front of the home of Olin Corwin, about two miles east of this village. Mr. Mosher was brought to this village and fracture was set, and then he was taken to his home where he will be confined for several weeks.

From Ontario County Journal 1 July 1910

South Bristol, N. Y. -
As Mrs. E. H. Randall and daughter, Miss Anna Randall, of South Bristol, were driving to Canandaigua on Thursday of last week, their horse became frightened at the steam roller on the Bristol road and ran, overturning the carriage. Miss Randall was caught under the vehicle and was badly injured about the head, her nose being broken. Mrs. Randall received numerous bruises. Mr. Parsons of the Bristol road, took the women to Canandaigua, where they were attended by Dr. J. H. Jewett. They were able to return to their home in the evening.

Rushville, N. Y. - Mrs. Mary Helmer passed her 89th birthday Saturday last.

Bristol, N. Y. - Forty-one attended the Wheaton reunion at Garrett Wheaton's on Saturday. Mrs. S. J. Forest and daughter, Britton, of South Dakota, and Mrs. Marvin Culver, daughter, Gladys, and son, of Minneapolis, Minn., were among the guests. An impromptu program was rendered. Officers for next year are: President, Garrett Wheaton; vice-president, Edgar Wheaton; secretary and treasurer, Clare Case. A very pleasant day was spent. Next year the reunion will be held with Mr. and Mrs. Fred Ingals.

The third annual reunion of the descendants of Robert and Margaret Farrell was held at the home of James Farrell on West Gibson street, on Tuesday. Sixty guests were present from Macedon, Fairport, Rochester, Shortsville, Clifton and Cayuga.

From Geneva Daily Times 2 July 1910

Hall, N. Y. -
About one hundred and fifty friends, relatives and invited friends of the Barden-Witter families assembled Thursday at the beautiful home of Arlington Mapes, near Rushville, for the annual reunion of these families. The day, although warm, was a very pleasant one, and to judge by the bright, happy faces of those present, both the day and occasion was thoroughly enjoyed by everyone. Tables decorated with beautiful flowers and laden with tempting viands were placed upon the lawn under the shade of the fine old maples, and above them floated a grand old flag of our country. After singing "America," the company being led by Mr. and Mrs. Stewart Transue, grace was said by Rev. Dr. Kane of Gorham, and ready and willing waiters served the feast to the different groups about the lawn, which at this time looked very artistic in the light and white raiment of summer with the green carpet of the lawn below and the cool green foliage of the trees above them. After dinner a very pretty program was given. Rev. Dr. Kane gave an address. This was followed by a very humorous little speech by Rev. Dr. King of Rushville. Miss Maude Black gave a very humorous recitation, "Aunt Salina's Beau." Rev. Dr. Tierney of Rushville gave an interesting address which was followed by a fine solo by Mrs. Kane of Gorham; and instrumental solos by Miss Pangburn. After a business meeting of the reunion committee, the company dispersed, all feeling they had been finely entertained by both Mr. Mapes and mother and the committee.

From Geneva Daily Times 5 July 1910

Bob Woolson Shot in the Hand by an Geneva Italian

Phelps, N. Y. - An Italian whose name could not be learned but who is said to hail from Geneva either accidentally or intentionally shot B. H. Woolson while the latter was walking along Quarry street near his home about 7 o'clock last evening. The bullet from a 32 calibre revolver struck Mr. Woolson just below the thumb on the left hand, passed through the flesh and came out the opposite side. The shot came so unexpectedly that for a moment Mr. Woolson was dazed. After firing the shot the Italian started to run east on the New York Central tracks pursued by his victim, but owing to Mr. Woolson's injury, he was unable to capture his man. The man continued down the track and narrowly escaped being struck by the east bound passenger train due here at 6:39. Half a hundred people soon took up the chase, which led through the Hammond farm toward the Canandaigua Outlet where the Italian succeeded in losing himself. Up to a late hour last night he was still at liberty. Mr. Woolson is unable to account for the unprovoked assault. Those with whom the Italian had spent the afternoon profess to be ignorant of his identity.

From Ontario County Journal 8 July 1910

Honeoye, N. Y. -
One serious accident was registered on Monday. Clarence, the 14-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. John Watkins, while having a display of fireworks during the evening, lighted a giant firecracker. After waiting for the report, he went to discover the reason of the non-explosion, when it went off with the usual result, filling his face and left eye with powder and badly burning the left side of his face. It was first feared that the sight of the eye was destroyed, but after an examination by Dr. Standish the right eye was found to be uninjured. He was made as comfortable as possible, now lying in a darkened room, solemnly vowing in the future to show his patriotism less forcibly.

Naples, N. Y. - The first automobile accident to be noticed that has occurred in town was last week. D. J. Doughty had just purchased a "Flanders 20" of D. H. Maxfield and was delivering groceries, with but little previous experience. In turning about at the foot of Main street, he ran upon the bank and tipped over, doing considerable damage to the machine but no harm to himself.

Bristol Center, N. Y. - The annual reunion of the Brandow family was held last week Wednesday at the home of Mr. and Mrs. A. C. Brandow in Bristol Center. About 50 members of the different branches of the family were present. Mrs. Charles McClain and her granddaughter, Miss Mabel Brooks of Michigan, were present, as were Rev. Mr. Briddon and family, who discoursed sweet music, which helped to enliven the joyful occasion. The officers elected were president, J. H. Brandow of Middlesex; vice-president, B. A. Brandow of Cheshire; secretary, Mrs. Robert Middlebrook of Manchester; treasurer, Miss Mabel Brandow of Canandaigua. By invitation the next reunion will be held with Robert Middlebrook in Manchester the last Saturday in June, 1911.

Bristol Center, N. Y. - As Mrs. Hiram Bailey of East Bloomfield was coming down the Dugway hill on the Fourth, the bellyband broke and the horse ran, throwing her and her son out. Miss Yaw, who was with her, seeing that the buggy would strike a bridge, jumped out. The horse, having got free, ran an far as Adrian Brandow's and was stopped. No one was seriously hurt.

From Geneva Daily Times 9 July 1910

Rushville, N. Y. -  James Sherburn,
a man 83 years of age, met with a frightful accident about 7 o'clock yesterday morning. Just how the accident happened is not known but it is believed that while he was carrying fresh hay into the stall, the horse was startled and kicked him several times. Although badly mangled, he managed to make his way out of the barn when he was assisted by his son, William Sherburn, and a neighbor. The right side of his face was mangled, the cheek bone broken and the other side of his face bruised. His right arm was also mutilated. Near his elbow was a cancer. This was torn open and a good-sized piece of flesh torn from the bone. Both bones below the elbow in his left arm were broken, and the thumb nearly torn off. Dr. J. H. Wilkin was called and after doing what he could, advised his being taken to a hospital. An ambulance from Canandaigua came and he was conveyed to Memorial Hospital for treatment. He was accompanied by his son.

From Ontario County Journal 15 July 1910

Allen's Hill, N. Y. -
Through the thoughtfulness of Mrs. E. B. Sayre and Mrs. J. G. Hann, a pleasant gathering of friends and neighbors assembled at the home of Hon. Charles R. Case and daughter, Mrs. John P. Ray, on Monday evening, the occasion being the 86th birthday anniversary of Mr. Case. The reception was in the form of a surprise and was greatly enjoyed by host and guests. During the evening, Mr. Case made a brief informal address. He sought to impress all with the thought that the one great object in life should be kindness and love for friends and gratitude to God for all His mercies and goodness. He voiced the great pleasure it gave him to have his friends remember him. Mr. Case at 86 is as well and hearty as the average man of fewer years. He keeps fully abreast of the times in matters social and political. In October, 1899, Mr. and Mrs. Case celebrated their golden wedding. Mrs. Case passed away last fall. Mr. and Mrs. Case had five children, all of whom are living: W. T. Case of West Bloomfield; Frank Case of Cleveland, O.; H. C. Case of Albany; F. C. Case of Interlaken and Mrs. Ray of this place. There are also nine grandchildren and two great grandchildren. All hope that there are a lot of happy years yet ahead for him.

From Geneva Daily Times 22 July 1910

Clifton Springs, N. Y. - 
On Wednesday afternoon a horse belonging to Michael Crowley caused considerable excitement on Main street. The horse had been hitched in front of the Hosford store. Mrs. Crowley was preparing to leave for home and unhitched the horse, and a young lady who was visiting her had got into the wagon, when the horse started up. He ran across the road into the M. E. churchyard, when the wagon tipped over, throwing the young lady out. She was not seriously injured. The horse ran into the Sanitarium grounds back of the church, when he was stopped.

From Geneva Daily Times 25 July 1910

Charles Dorsey,
who was injured in the auto accident on Lewis street last week, when an auto in which he was riding collided with a horse, was able to get out this morning for the first time. Mr. Dorsey states that he is still feeling sore as a result of the accident but does not expect any further bad effects.

From Geneva Daily Times 27 July 1910

Canandaigua, N. Y. -  Mrs. Michael Statira Hickox Durand
today reached the 103rd year of her life in the old Durand homestead, a short distance from this village on the Cheshire road. Although she is gradually weakening in bodily vigor, yet those about her have noticed no perceptible decline since the 100th milestone was reached. At that time she suffered a dislocated hip and the physicians who attended her gave her but a few more weeks on earth. The birthday is being quietly observed on account of the recent death of a daughter, Mrs. MacGerald. Mrs. Durand was born July 27th, 1807, in the town of Canandaigua and her entire life has been spent within three miles of her birthplace. She was one of the family of nine children. In 1831 she married Elias Durand, a direct descendant of Dr. John Durand, a noted physician, who came to this country from Rochelle, France, with a party of Huguenots in 1685. Seven children were born to them. The death of her husband occurred 45 years ago. The remarkable woman comes from New England stock. Her father, Captain George Hickox, who served with distinction in the war of 1812, died at the advanced age of 94 years. Her grandfather, Levi Hickox, was one of the pioneers of Western New York and a soldier in the Revolutionary war. Her mother, Eunice Holcomb, was a pioneer school teacher from Massachusetts.

Mrs. Durand's life has spanned almost the entire life of the United States republic. She has lived through three wars; has seen slavery abolished; has witnessed the advent of the steam railroad, the telegraph, telephone, steamboat, electricity and the aeroplane. She has seen mower displace the scythe; the horse succeed the ox team and the automobile replace the horse. Born when the country about her was a wilderness, she has seen productive farms spring up and the redman driven from his lands to reservations. During her lifetime, six sovereigns have governed England and only two United States presidents had completed their terms before she came upon life's platform.

Although greatly enfeebled, Mrs. Durand tells many interesting personal reminiscences. Brigham Young, the Mormon prophet, worked as a farm laborer for her brother and she now has in her possession several splint chairs made by him. She recollects his departure to take up the work of spreading the doctrine of Mormonism, and she also remembers the visit of LaFayette to Canandaigua.

All Canandaiguans unite with members of the Durand family in congratulating Mrs. Durand upon her long and useful life.

Return to the Ontario County GenWeb Homepage

                Copyright © 2007-10, Ontario County NYGenWeb and each contributor and author of materials herein. All rights reserved.

Updated 6 April 2010