From Canandaigua Chronicle 2 January 1907

On Sunday, December 23rd, John Gartland, Sr., celebrated his 86th birthday; and on Christmas, as has been his custom for the past 27 yrs, he took dinner with his daughter, Mrs. Ellen Whalen, of 94 Willis Place. At the Christmas dinner three generations were assembled, including Mr. Gartland, his daughter, Mrs. Whalen, her daughters, Miss Elizabeth J. Whalen of Rochester, and Mrs. Frank Ferguson of Canandaigua, and the latter's baby daughter, Irene Elizabeth Ferguson.

From Geneva Daily Times 3 January 1907

Canandaigua, N. Y. - In a well-meant effort to start a much needed crusade against the host of worthless curs in Canandaigua, one brother shot another yesterday. The full extent of the injuries is not yet known, but the wound is quite a serious one. It appears that Ed and Arthur Dempsey became incensed at the of one of the roving canines with which the village is infested and shortly after midnight started out with a shot gun. They chased the dog to a nearby field, and shot at it once or twice, missing it in the dark. Finally they thought they had it where they could kill it and Arthur fired the gun. At the same moment his brother, who was running toward him, caught his foot in a clump of grass and fell in front of the gun, receiving the full charge of about 100 No. 6 shot in the front of his thigh. Word was sent to Dr. H. C. Buell after the injured man had been taken to his home, and on examining the injury it was decided that Ed ought to got to the Memorial Hospital. An effort was made to remove the shot, some of which were clear through the fleshy part of the thigh. Unless complications ensue, it is thought the injured man will recover.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 9 January 1907

Naples, N. Y. -
Saturday, Jan. 5, Naples oldest citizen, Mrs. Samantha Nellis, celebrated her 97th birthday. She possesses remarkable strength and vigor and save for impaired eyesight enjoys all her faculties. She is the widow of John D. Nellis and has led an active life on the large farm property which has long been in the possession of the family. This winter she is living with her son, J. Warren Nellis, in the village.

Clifton Springs, N. Y. -  Mrs. Samuel Jackson, who lives in Plainsville, near Clifton Springs, had a rather unusual experience last week with a skunk. She went into the hen house to gather the eggs and found a large black and white skunk asleep in one of the hen's nests. She called her husband who succeeded in getting the animal away from the coop. They found the carcass of a hen near the hen house and believe that it was killed and eaten by the pole cat. They were unable to kill the animal but feel quite fortunate in getting rid of it so well.

From Geneva Advertiser Gazette 10 January 1907

The installation of officers of Seneca Rebekah Lodge No. 159, I. O. O. F., took place last Friday night. Those installed were:

Noble Grand - Jennie Armstrong
Vice Grand - Gertie Tills
Recording Secretary - Viola Vail
Financial Secretary - Dora Welcher
Treas. - Lida Smith
Chaplain - Addie Chapman

From Geneva Daily Times 12 January 1907

Phelps, N. Y. - While covering his mail route yesterday, rural carrier Frank E. Benton, was, by force of circumstances obliged to cover part of it on foot. He left the post office as usual, driving a horse that had been in the mail business for seven years, going over the same route three or four times a week. When Mr. Benton arrived at Chester Lumbert's near Melvin Hill, he had a registered package to deliver and went in the house to get the signature. The horse which had been left untied, became impatient at the unusual delay and started down the road. When Mr. Benton returned the horse was several rods away running at a lively gait and the driver was unable to overtake him. The horse would, however, stop at every mail box and wait the usual time that had been customary to drop the mail in the boxes, and then start on again. During this time Mr. Benton had been left a couple of miles in the rear and it was not until the horse reached the Beardsley farm that he was captured. There was no damage to the vehicle or horse but the incident caused Mr. Benton about three hours delay.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 16 January 1907

Allen's Hill, N. Y.
-  The annual installation of officers of No. 9058, Modern Woodmen of America, was held January 5th at Allen's Hill. The following were installed:

Venerable Consul - G. Edward Patterson
Worthy Advisor - L. N. Affalter
Excellent Banker - John B. Sleight
Efficient Clerk - O. Clark Reed
Escort - H. L. Bennett
Watchman - Will Belcher
Sentry - George R. Beach
Camp Physician - E. B. Sayre, M. D.
Manager - M. H. Bell

From Geneva Daily Times 17 January 1907

Clifton Springs, N. Y. -
A serious accident occurred to Albert Vienne, at Manchester Center, about two miles north of this village, yesterday afternoon. He was assisting in repairing the machinery in the grist mill at that place and in some way he got caught in the shaft. His body made a good many revolutions and he is in a very critical condition as the result. Both legs were broken and the left was in such a condition that amputation was necessary. One arm was broken and his head badly mangled. He was taken in the Clifton Springs ambulance to the Canandaigua Memorial Hospital where his injuries are being cared for.

From Geneva Daily Times 18 January 1907

Phelps, N. Y. - Three Phelps people, Mr. and Mrs. William B. Hobbie and daughter, Helen, were among the passengers of the S. S. Prinz August Wilhelm that landed at Kingston last Friday and they were probably in the city or the immediate vicinity at the time of the great earthquake Monday afternoon. No news of any sort has been received here by their friends and great apprehension is felt for their safety. Mr. Hobbie's sister, Mrs. Spaulding, who is spending the winter at Rochester, is prostrated over the fact that she hears nothing from them and is using every available means to get in communication with her brother. Mr. and Mrs. S. S. Partridge, who left here Monday bound for Jamaica, are still in New York. A letter received from them yesterday states that they are undecided as to whether or not they will give up the trip.

Phelps, N. Y. 24 January 1907

The anxiety of the relatives and friends of Mr. and Mrs. W. B. Hobbie and daughter, Helen, who were at Kingston, Jamaica, when the earthquake occurred, was relieved Thursday by the receipt of a telegram by Albert Ross, Mrs. Hobbie's brother, from Mrs. Lelia Spaulding of Rochester, saying she had received a cablegram from her brother, Mr. Hobbie, announcing they were all safe and unharmed. Yesterday morning Mr. Ross received a message from Mr. Hobbie saying the party had arrived in New York City, and following a few days sojourn there, would return home. They expected to remain in the tropics until April 1, but the Kingston catastrophe caused them to change their plans.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 23 January 1907

Holcomb, N. Y. -
The Relief Corps elected officers for the year as follows:

President - Mrs. C. E. Taylor
Sr. vice-president - Mrs. Frances Wheeler
Jr. vice- president - Mrs. Urana Parsons
Chaplain - Mrs. Sparrow Mayo
Secretary - Mrs. L. T. Partridge
Treasurer - Mrs. George Burrell
Conductor - Mrs. George Hotchkiss
Guard - Mrs. P. D. Gurnel

From Geneva Advertiser Gazette 31 January 1907

William E. Hayes,
the veteran tinsmith, reaches his 86th birthday today. He was born in Geneva January 31, 1821. He is in very good health for a man of his years, yesterday evening cleaned his walks after being all day at the shop. He has made a few tin dippers and small pans, brazed with his initials and date, giving around to a few of his friends. Ark Lodge of Masons honored him a year ago by placing him on the life membership list and presenting him a large easy chair which it is hoped he will enjoy for many years.

Yesterday afternoon about 5 o'clock Cyrus Bray, aged 75 years, a farmer residing at Seneca Castle, was assaulted and severely injured. Raymond F. Carl, the hired man, who is alleged to have committed the crime, was captured in Orleans. The affair took place in the barn. Mr. Bray had just returned from Canandaigua and went to the barn to feed his horses, Carl, it is alleged, thought his employer had some money and attempted to rob him. Mr. Bray was just going up in the loft and had his feet . . . . . . Carl, it is claimed, crept up behind him and with a king bolt hit the aged man across the head. Mr. Bray fell to the floor of the barn. His daughter, Charlotte, ran to her father's assistance. Carl threatened her, she claims, and then she ran out on the roadway and screamed for help. A neighbor named Thompson came to their assistance and carried the unconscious man into the house and Dr. Sargent was summoned. After Mr. Bray had been taken into the house a general alarm was sent out for the capture of Carl. He was traced toward Orleans, where he was captured by two farmers named Kaywood and Johns. Carl gave a hard fight, but the men overpowered him, and brought him back to Seneca Castle. He was taken before Justice of Peach E. E. Thatcher and charged with assault with an iron bar with intent to rob or kill. Up to a late hour last night, Mr. Bray was still unconscious and little hopes of his recovery are entertained.

From Geneva Daily Times 1 February 1907

Gorham, N. Y. - On Tuesday, as Charles Werley was in the swamp near his farm with sleigh and team, after a load of wood, the horses broke through the ice into several feet of water which nearly covered them, so that they were unable to get out with the sleigh. The harness was cut away but all attempts to rescue them were of no avail until the team of Frederick Kindelberger was secured, which drew them out. When rescued they were so chilled that they were unable to stand, having been in the water four hours.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 6 February 1907

Bristol Center, N. Y. - Frank Aldridge
had four ribs broken last Friday. He was thrown from a load of hay while going down the steep hill near the Trafton place.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 13 February 1907

Michael Connell,
aged about 64 years and a resident of Park street, was struck by a train at Main street crossing one day last week. He sustained a slight scalp wound. His escape was miraculous.

Naples, N. Y. - There was a basketball contest on Thursday evening between the Naples High school five and a five composed of young business men. The contestants were Charles Linton, Arthur Dutcher, Harold Ingraham, Fred Fox, Walter Harrington of the High school team; and J. Gordon Lewis, J. C. Morgan, Jr., M. F. Walker, J. Rechtenwald, Dr. O. R. Charles of the town; substitutes, G. Woodard and Schuyler G. Parrish. The game was very close and exciting and resulted in a victory for the older team.

From Geneva Daily Times 16 February 1907

Canandaigua, N. Y. - Walter S. Hubbell,
Esq., an octogenarian of this village, is confined to his home on Main Street North by severe burns which he received by falling on the heated drum of a stove. He had been standing at the window watching the squirrels and in stepping away lost his balance and fell.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 20 February 1907

Manchester, N. Y. - 
The many friends of John Burns of Center street will be glad to learn that his pension has been raised to $30 per month dating from January, 1907. Mr. Burns has been an invalid for over a year.

From Geneva Daily Times 21 February 1907

Canandaigua, N. Y. - At the Canandaigua Hospital for Physicians and Surgeons, Wednesday, Harry Bliss of Vincent, in the town of Bristol, was operated upon with the X-rays to locate three pieces of a large calibre rifle bullet that he shot into his foot while loading the rifle to shoot a cow. The bullet was split upon his arctic rubber buckle as it struck his foot, making a bad wound, but the lead was successfully removed and Bliss is doing well. He was attended by Dr. B. T. McDowell of Bristol Center.

From Geneva Daily Times 22 February 1907

Canandaigua, N. Y. - Frank T. Hutchens, son of H. L. Hutchens of this village, has had his painting, "An Olive Grove in Capri," which he painted in Capri two years ago, accepted by the jury of the Corcoran Art Gallery at Washington, D. C., and the picture will be hung for the first annual exhibit of contemporary art.

Phelps, N. Y. -
A sensational runaway took place on the streets here last evening shortly after six o'clock. A four-year-old colt owned by Elisha Kennedy, who works the Potter farm, that had been standing under the Cottage hotel hitchsheds, got loose and dashed through the driveway, crossed Church street into Mrs. Carpenter's yard and then plunged head foremost into the rear of the Catholic church. He then circled around the church and while running between the parsonage and the church, he struck an iron pump with such force that it broke off at the curbing. At this point one of the rear wheels of the carriage was demolished and when he again struck the street, he was dragging the carriage on three wheels. In this manner he ran about four miles when he managed to break loose from the buggy and then ran directly home where he was found when Mr. Kennedy reached there. The horse was cut up considerably and several had narrow escapes from being struck by the horse in his mad flight. There are several circumstances connected with the affair that Mr. Kennedy will fully investigate. When he left the horse in the shed, he was securely tied and had on a new bridle. This bridle is missing and it was not attached to the animal when he came through the driveway at the Cottage hotel. The tie strap which was fastened around the horse's neck and then through the ring in the bridle bit was found in the  shed tied to the hitching post. Some one evidently removed the bridle and stole it, leaving the horse fastened with the strap around its neck which it afterwards slipped off and then got away. The buggy that was smashed was a new one and belonged to Eben Potter.

From Geneva Daily Times 1 March 1907

Canandaigua, N. Y. - Frank McWilliams,
who lives on Flint creek, near Flint, in the town of Gorham, was terribly injured about 6:30 yesterday afternoon while felling a tree. Mr. McWilliams and Joseph Potter were cutting down a tree on the bank of the creek. They had planned to have it fall into the water, but in some way miscalculated and it fell toward them. Mr. Potter, who had just changed places with Mr. McWilliams, escaped injury, but his employer was caught under the tree and narrowly escaped being crushed to death. His skull was injured, eight ribs were broken, his right arm was broken and he was bruised besides. Notwithstanding his injuries, he walked to his home, a few rods distant. Dr. Folover of Stanley was summoned and made him as comfortable as possible. It was stated last evening that he was conscious and the chances favored his recovery.

From Geneva Daily Times 19 March 1907

Phelps, N. Y. - A horse belonging to John Anderson, that was tied under the Presbyterian Church hitch barns, broke loose yesterday afternoon and ran away. As he turned the corner heading to Main street, the carriage upset and was completely wrecked in his wild dash up the street. After running a couple of miles the horse was captured near the Anderson home west of Phelps.

From Geneva Daily Times 20 March 1907

Stanley, N. Y. - The National Protective Legion of Stanley held its annual election of officers Monday evening. The following officers were elected for the ensuing year:

Charles Franklin, President
William Bristol, Worthy Vice-President
Mrs. Thompson, Secretary
Fanny Dougleby, Treasurer
Anna Harvey, Chaplain
James Murphy, Conductor
Alfred Nelson, Guard
Thomas Loughlin, Sentinel
William Moon, Degree Master
Thomas Joyce, Arthur Washburn,
William Stratton, Trustees

From Canandaigua Chronicle 20 March 1907

Reed's Corners, N. Y. -  Olin Washburn
fell from a load of hay on Saturday, sustaining serious injuries. He was taken to the home of his sister, Mrs. Anson Gage. Dr. Selover of Stanley was called. At this writing he has regained consciousness and is comfortable.

Monday, about 10:30 o'clock, Fred Payne, a carpenter, employed by Fred Treat, was painfully injured while working at the County house. He and some other carpenters were engaged in tearing up some joists in the kitchen of the building when a heavy cupboard which stood against the wall suddenly tipped over catching Payne and breaking his collar bone. Dr. H. C. Buell was summoned and set the bone. Mr. Payne returned to his home in Davidson avenue and will be incapacitated for several weeks.

From Geneva Daily Times 22 March 1907

Phelps, N. Y. - Wednesday, Mrs. Ruth Olmstead, who resides on the "Silver Hill" farm, northwest of Phelps, celebrated her eighty-fourth birthday. Mrs. Olmstead recently suffered a severe illness with pneumonia, but despite the fact she is very smart and active and has all the indications of celebrating many more anniversaries. Those present at the gathering were Mrs. James Fisk of Clyde; Mr. and Mrs. Charles Clark, Mrs. L. M. Norton, Mrs. F. E. Brown, Mr. and Mrs. Fred Shaw, Mr. and Mrs. Hiram Burgess, Mr. and Mrs. William Bell, E. F. Bussey, Miss Busey and Mrs. Mary Filkins of Newark.

From Geneva Daily Times 26 March 1907

Frank Salome, an Italian, paid $5 last evening for the privilege of carrying a gun without a license. Since the Black Hand letter was received here last week, the police have been keeping a closer watch on the members of the Italian colony and suspicious characters are being searched by the policemen. The man could give no satisfactory excuse for carrying the weapon, so Judge Keyes fined him five dollars and added the gun to the collection at the station.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 27 March 1907

Stanley, N. Y. -
The National Protective Legion elected the following officers at its annual election, Monday evening, March 18: President, Charles Franklin; worthy vice-president, William Bristol; secretary, Mrs. Mary Thompson; treasurer, Frannie Duggleby; chaplain, Miss Anna Harvey; conductor, James Murphy; guard, Alfred Nelson; sentinel, Thomas Loughlin; degree master, William Moon; pianist, Mrs. William Stratton; trustees, Thomas Joyce, Arthur Washburn and William Stratton.

From Geneva Daily Times 30 March 1907

Canandaigua, N. Y. - Thomas McCarthy,
carpenter for the Central Company, is confined to his home on North Pleasant street suffering from severe burns which were incurred while attempting to light a fire with an inflammable liquid that is used in paint as a dryer. The liquid ignited on some hidden coals and spread to the can and instantly the contents exploded, covering McCarthy's clothing, face and hands. The flesh on the left side of his face and on his left hand was painfully burned. Dr. P. M. Donnovan attended the sufferer.

Manchester, N. Y. - Michael Langlan, a Lehigh Valley locomotive engineer of this village, met with a serious accident and narrowly escaped death while in the discharge of his duties Wednesday, by falling from his engine when it was going at the rate of thirty miles an hour. The accident happened near Williamsville, a short distance from Depew Junction. Langlan started to go from the cab to the tender, when what is known as the hand rail broke and he fell from the engine. His fireman saw the accident and stopped the train, and the crew going to Langlan's aid found him suffering from a bad cut on his head and his back injured, but to what extent is not known. It is considered almost a miracle by railroad men that he was not instantly killed.

From Geneva Daily Times 3 April 1907

The stork visited at the home of Police Commissioner Frank Dwyer yesterday. When it left, there was a new pair of twins at the Dwyer home. The latest arrivals are a boy and a girl. This is the second  visitation of the kind in this family. The first time it was two boys and the last pair makes five children born to Mr. and Mrs. Dwyer, four boys and one girl. Mr. Dwyer, who is a prosperous Geneva business man, is known all over the country in baseball circles. For years he was pitcher on the Cincinnati team and afterwards was an American league umpire. He began his baseball career at Hobart college.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 3 April 1907

Rushville, N. Y. -  Mrs. John French
narrowly escaped a serious accident last Friday morning. While attempting to remove the cover from a tea kettle, some of the boiling water spurted into her eyes. Fortunately Mr. French was near at hand and immediately applied an ointment especially prepared for burns. The pain, although severe, lasted but a few hours.

Victor, N. Y. -  The following officers have been chosen by the National Protective Legion, No. 1023, for the ensuing year: Past president, Miss Sara M. Harrington; president, James Struble; vice-president, Birr Lum; secretary, Miss Maida H. Snyder; treasurer, Charles L. Brown; chaplain, Mrs. Henry Benson; conductor, Miss Rosa Lynaugh; trustee, Henry Benson; grand, Mrs. William Lewis, sentinel, Miss Lena Lynaugh; pianist, Miss Maryett Benson.

From Geneva Daily Times 8 April 1907

Clifton Springs, N. Y. - The following officers have been elected by the Clifton Springs Military Band to act during the ensuing year: President, Gregory Lindner; Vice-President, W. Hughes; Treasurer, G. Walters; Secretary and Leader, Leo Lindner; Executive Committee, J. Kelly, A. Stevens, E. E. Hayden, R. Scott and S. Siegwald. During the year 1906 the cash receipts of the organization were $819.53.

From Geneva Daily Times 10 April 1907

Oreste Dellons, an Italian, paid fifty dollars into the city treasury this morning for the privilege of carrying a gun without a license. Dellons was picked up on Exchange street in company with another Italian at an early hour this morning by Officer Kuney. When searched at the station a large gun was found on the man. In police court this morning he was arraigned on the charge. He was not a citizen and had secured a license to carry the weapon. Since the reception of the many Black Hand letters here, the police have been searching almost every suspicious Italian for weapons. It was not thought that the man belonged to the Black Hand but it was believed that he was better off without the gun. Judge Keyes therefore imposed a fine of $50 just as a warning to other Italians that the practice must be stopped. Dellons had a fat roll of bills and he rolled off a shiny, yellow-backed fifty dollar bill and paid the fine.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 17 April 1907

Eugene Simonds
of Bristol Center was injured in a runaway which occurred in Bristol street Saturday morning. The wagon tongue loosened and fell, frightening his team which started and ran down the asylum hill. The wagon struck the curbing and threw Mr. Simonds out upon the pavement with great force. He sustained painful bruises and injuries to his head and back. He was taken to the Canandaigua Hospital of Physicians and Surgeons and attended by Drs. Armstrong and Gregg.

St. Mary's Church, Canandaigua - Baptized last Sunday, Edward William Finnerty and Salvatore Fardella.

From Geneva Daily Times 22 April 1907

Phelps, N. Y. - Carl Bankston, a farmer 60 years of age, who resides on the Olmstead farm north of Phelps, was struck and badly injured by a Lehigh Valley passenger train due here at 3:12 Sunday afternoon. The accident happened at the crossing a few rods west of the Lehigh Valley station. Mr. Bankston was spending the afternoon at the home of Mr. and Mrs. John Bossant, who live near the crossing, and as he was about to cross the tracks going home, the train appeared in sight. He turned the horse off the tracks but just as the train was about to pass, the animal became frightened and made a leap in front of the engine. The horse was instantly killed and the carriage completely demolished. Mr. Bankston was thrown in front of the locomotive, but miraculously escaped being run over. His leg is said to have been broken and he sustained serious bruises about the body. An ugly cut on the head appears the most dangerous but it is not thought the injuries will prove fatal. Dr. W. A. Howe was called and dressed the wounds.

From Geneva Daily Times 24 April 1907

Phelps, N. Y. - Charles Carr, of this village, underwent another operation at Dr. McClellan's hospital, Canandaigua, yesterday. This time his left foot was amputated above the ankle. Mr. Carr has been having trouble with his foot for some time and has had several operations performed in hopes that amputation would be unnecessary. Last week particles of decayed bone were removed from his ankle. The two operations so near together have left Mr. Carr in a critical condition.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 24 April 1907

Thursday about 10:30 a.m., at his residence in Clark street, Geo. Voorhees' touring car caught fire and was burned up. The chemical engine was summoned but was unable to save the auto. The machine was valued at $1200 with $500 insurance.

Myron Randall of Allen's Hill suffered serious injuries to his face and arms Monday while attempting to rescue the horses from his barn which was being destroyed by fire. He entered the barn which was in flames and brought out one horse. He returned to get the other animal which kicked him in the jaw which was fractured by the blow. He was also seriously burned. Mr. Randall was removed to the Memorial hospital and at last reports his condition was favorable.

Victor, N. Y. -  Mrs. Caroline Gallup celebrated her 84th birthday on Monday, April 22nd, at her home in this village. Mrs. Gallup is bright and active and enjoys excellent health for one of her age. She is one of the oldest living members of the First Presbyterian church of this village, and was a teacher in the Sunday school for over forty years, giving up the entire charge of her class during the past year, now acting as assistant teacher. Mrs. Gallup is a true Christian woman and beloved by all who know her. Her life is a grand example for the community.

Victor, N. Y. -  John Conover, who resides east of this village, passed his 90th birthday on Saturday, April 20th. Mr. Conover is active for one of his years and on his birthday, last Saturday, spent the most of the day working, engaged in sorting potatoes. Mr. Conover does not get away from his home often, but is still able to do considerable work about the farm.

Shortsville, N. Y. -  On Wednesday evening, Charles Van Buren, Railroad avenue, was completely surprised by about 25 of his friends who had been invited to spend the evening with him in celebration of his 62d birthday. The party was arranged by his daughter, Miss Anita Van Buren, and was a genuine surprise party. The evening was passed pleasantly at cards and supper was served by Miss Van Buren, assisted by the Misses Hester V. Heath, Roma Baggerly and Irene Hebbard; and Messrs. Lyle Felton and Levi Huntington.

Manchester, N. Y. -  Albert Reeves and Wm. Shaw, both of Farmington, experienced an exciting runaway Sunday about noon. They had been to the village and were driving home with two horses on a democrat wagon, when about two miles west of here one of the horses stumbled and a bit was broken. Both horses started into a run, and it being impossible to guide them with the broken bit, the wagon collided with a telephone pole, smashing both forward wheels, throwing Mr. Reeves, the driver, out, Mr. Shaw having previously jumped out. The horses being freed from the wagon ran into a nearby wheat field, the men in pursuit; the owner of the field came out and ordered them to get out of the field as soon as possible; that being just what the men were trying to do no quarrel ensued. The horses were finally secured, broken harness temporarily repaired, and the men continued their homeward journey on foot, leaving the broken wagon by the roadside.

From Geneva Daily Times 26 April 1907

Michael Petrio,
an Italian, had his right thigh broken just above the knee while at work on the New York Central Railroad near Border City yesterday afternoon. Petrio was helping to handle a rail when it slipped and fell. The rail caught the man on the leg, which was broken and also badly bruised. Dr. H. D. Weyburn was called. The physician bandaged the injury and sent a call for the ambulance. Petrio was removed as soon as possible to the city hospital, where the fracture was reduced.

From Geneva Daily Times 29 April 1907

Phelps, N. Y. - A spirited horse driven by Frank Barringer became unmanageable on West Main Street Sunday afternoon and before Mr. Barringer could get control of the animal, he collided with a telephone pole. Mrs. Barringer, who was riding with her husband, jumped and escaped injury. Mr. Barringer was cut about the face and somewhat bruised but the injuries will not result seriously. The carriage was wrecked.

From Geneva Daily Times 30 April 1907

Gorham, N. Y. -
The one hundredth anniversary of the town of Gorham will be reached in the present month. On Jan 27, 1789, when the territory which had been named Ontario County was divided into townships, history says that the town was called "Easton" and in April, 1806, it was changed to Lincoln. One year later, in 1807, in honor of Nathaniel Gorham, one of the proprietors of the Phelps and Gorham purchase. The first town meeting on record was held April 4, 1797, at the dwelling house of one of the pioneers, Frederick Fallet, and the officers elected were the following: Supervisor, Samuel Day; town clerk, James Austin, overseers of the poor, Wm. Eagle and Joseph Brundage; commissioner of assessors, Samuel Day, Frederick Follet, Silas Reed and James Warner; highways, Elijah Hurd, Robert Whittery and Wm. Hicks; constable, John Warren.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 1 May 1907

Chapinville, N. Y. -
A notable visit to a remarkable woman was enjoyed by the pastor and his wife of the Chapinville church last Thursday. In the home of Mrs. Ann C. Riker, on the farm east of the village where they have lived for more than two score years, we found the oldest lady resident of the town of Hopewell, in good health and spirits with a mind more vigorous than many women of fifty. She related not only incidents of her past life as all old people are pleased to but talked of present day occurrences with her family and neighbors with the keen interest characteristic of her younger days. A few months ago your correspondent went to call on her and found her cleaning the cook stove, overhauling it top and bottom, to put it in better condition for baking. At this time she sat at the head of the table and served the tea. The other day she had prepared for her guests, and she frequently does it, so we were told by her youngest daughter, Cora, the most delicious bread and mince pie. In the afternoon, instead of lying down for her accustomed rest, she sewed rug rags and wound quite a ball as well and rapidly as the younger lady working with her. On the 26th of next July, should the Good Providence see fit to spare her life till then, she will be 90 years of age. She has lived a simple, humble faithful Christian life in the faith of the Quakers of the New England states from which they came to this state about 70 years ago. Rearing a large family she was unable to indulge her taste for the fine arts, which longing was suppressed for more than three score years. When she became released from the excessive family cares, most naturally she took to the use of the brush, paints and palette and has painted since her three-score and ten floral designs which now beautify not only her own home, but the homes of her many friends, as they have been gifts from her skillful, aged hands and great heart. Less than one year ago she painted with sweet brier roses, a souvenir post card to send to her daughter in Brooklyn. Among other pictures, old and new, she showed us the old home of her mother in Somerset, Massachusetts, and gave us to copy for the press an ancient marriage certificate of the Order of Friends when they were united in matrimony by the joining of hands with solemn mutual vows at the monthly meetings, in the absence of clerical ceremony as now required. I here append the certificate of this remarkable old lady's aunt which was found among other gifts after the aunt's will was executed:
Form of Ancient Marriage Among the Friends:

Whereas, Brice Wing, of Dartmouth, in the county of Bristol, in the government of Massachusetts Bay in New England, son of Daniel Wing and Lydia, his wife, and Mary Davis, daughter of Benjamin Davis and Lydia, his wife, of Freetown in the county of Bristol and government aforesaid.

Having declared their intention of taking each other in marriage before several Publick meetings of the people called Quakers, at Swansey according to the good order used among them whose proceeding therein after a deliberate, consideration thereof were approved by the said meetings, they appearing clear of all others, and having consent of Parents and others Concerned.

Now these are to Certify all whom it may Concern that for the full Accomplishing of their said Intentions this Second Day of the fourth month Called April in the year of Our Lord, One Thousand Seven Hundred and Seventy-Eight, They the said Brice Wing and Mary Davis, appear in a Publick Assembly of the aforesaid people and others met together in their meeting house at Swansey Aforesaid And in a solemn manner, he the said Brice Wing taking the said Mary Davis by the hand did openly Declare, that he took her to be his Wife promising through the Lord's assistance to be unto her a true and faithful husband until Death Separate them, or words to that Import. And they the said Brice Wing and Mary Davis Then according to the custom of Marriage Assuming the name of her husband as a further confirmation thereof did there and then to those present set their hands.

And we whose names are hereunto Subscribed being present at the solemnizing of their marriage Subscription in manner aforesaid as witness hereunto have also these presents Subscribed our names the Day and year Above Written:
Brice Wing
Mary Wing
Phillips Chase, Theophiles Shove, Jr., Clark Purintun, Moses Buffenton, Moses Chase, Stephen Stead, Amasa Chase, John Howland, John Earl, Joseph Weaver, William Bowers, Mary Bowers, Lydia Weaver, Hannah Chase, Rebecca Earl, Patience Brayton, Patience Brayton, Phebe Robenson, Elizabeth Chase, Abigail Thearman, Lydia Puventon, Alice Chase, Hannah Stead, Deborah Chase, Henry Bowers, Susan Davis, Benj'a Davis, John Wing, Thomas Weaver, Emma Davis, Jermiah Wing, Eber Chase, Caleb Earl, Bessie Buffinton, William Lawton, Benjamin Head.

From Geneva Daily Times 3 May 1907

Phelps, N. Y. -
Today Mrs. Mary A. Dawkins, a well-known resident of this town, will observe her 87th birthday at her home near Steele. Mrs. Dawkins was born in England, and came to this country when nine years of age. In company with her parents, long before the advent of railroads, she made the trip from the eastern part of the state by wagon and ever since has resided in this vicinity. Among her treasured possessions is a tiny pair of shoes that she wore when a child. Mrs. Dawkins is in full possession of her mental faculties and is in good health. For many years she has been a communicant of the Episcopal church. Each year her friends arrange that the anniversary of her birth is a pleasant occasion.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 8 May 1907

St. Mary's Church, Canandaigua, N. Y. -
Baptized last Sunday: Vincenza Di Marcantonio, Giusepppina Gentile and Gertrude Helen Norson.

Canadice, N. Y. - Oliver Childs
of Bald Hill, while on the way to Hemlock on Thursday of this week, met with quite a severe accident. The team became unmanageable and ran away throwing Mr. Childs out and injuring him so badly that he has been unable to be taken to his home at this writing.

Shortsville, N. Y. -  On Saturday afternoon, May 11, the Shortsville Baseball Nine and Home Plate team of Rochester, will play the opening game of the season in this village, on the East Main street diamond. It is expected that a band will be in attendance. The Shortsville nine includes the following players: Pitchers, Harry Dixon and Harry Schultz; catcher, Eddie Recinwald; first base, Dan Schultz; second base, Walter Wagner; third base, Brushard; shortstop, Leech; left field, Harding; center field, Dygert; right field, Hillyer. The officers for the Baseball association for this season are: President, J. R. Hillman; vice-president, DeWitt Power; manager, Clarence D. Bentley; directors, O. C. Buck, Sydney L. Heath and Howard D. Aldrich.

From Geneva Daily Times 9 May 1907

Phelps, N. Y. -
There was a family reunion last evening at the new home recently prepared by Dominick Fauet on Quarry street, for the reception of his wife whom he had left in the old country four years ago, while he came to America to lay the foundation of their future home. Dominick had been married but two months when he sailed from Italy leaving his bride in care of his brother, Lewie. He has made Phelps his home for the past two years, saved his earnings aside from the money that he sent to his wife, and is now financially able to bring her to this country where they will make their permanent home. Mrs. Fauet arrived here Tuesday evening.

From Geneva Daily Times 10 May 1907

Canandaigua, N. Y. -
Village Attorney Horace W. Fitch was quite badly injured in a runaway accident at Gorham yesterday afternoon. He drove a Canandaigua livery horse to Gorham to attend the funeral of a relative, and the runaway occurred there, resulting in Mr. Fitch being thrown from the carriage and dragged. He sustained a bad cut on his face and the loss of several teeth, besides painful bruises and other injuries. He was brought to his home here on Chapin street.

From Geneva Daily Times 13 May 1907

Phelps, N. Y. - To settle an argument over the ownership of a pint of whiskey, Charles Smith of Unionville and James Welsh of Clifton Springs, engaged in a fistic encounter on Main street Saturday and were so busy pummeling each other that they failed to notice Office Loney approaching. He  stopped the melee and hauled both pugilists before Justice Cornford. During the melee, the bottle that was the cause of the disturbance got smashed and the fiery contents went to waste. Smith got fifteen days straight at the county jail and Welsh had the alternative of paying five dollars fine or accompanying his partner to the county seat for a like number of days. He was unable to raise the money and had to take the trip.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 15 May 1907

Centerfield, N. Y. -
On Sunday morning as John Monahan's young sons were returning home from delivering their milk, they ran into a light buggy driven by Isaac Kimber and Isaac Kimber, Jr., of Bristol Center. The little fellows lost control of their horse and the heavy milk wagon soon made way with the light wagon. Mr. Kimber, Sr., was not injured very much but his son was thrown out and dragged some distance before the frightened horse could be stopped, when at last it ran into the fence by Albert Morris' orchard. The horse was terribly injured as well as Mr. Kimber, Jr. They were on their way to John Collins'. Mr. Kimber, Sr. is a brother of Mrs. Collins.

From Geneva Daily Times 16 May 1907

Phelps, N. Y. - Hard cider was the vehicle that brought three unfortunates before Justice Cornford yesterday. The first one was George Cuddeback, better known as "Chawteback," a well-known character. A new found friend with money purchased a half barrel of cider which Cuddeback hauled to the home of Curtis Young, where all present did full justice to the apple juice. A complaint was made and Constable Landon went to the scene of the revelry and placed Cuddeback and his partner under arrest. Cuddeback promised Justice Cornford that he would stay away from Phelps until the first day of January, 1908, if let go and the justice took him at his word. His partner, who is a stranger here, was ordered to go to work at once.

From Geneva Daily Times 28 May 1907

Manchester, N. Y. - Alvin H. Dewey,
one of the most prominent and highly respected citizens in the township of Manchester, met with a serious and perhaps fatal accident at his farm, one mile east of this village, Saturday. Mr. Dewey retired from farming on April 1st, and moved to the village of Clifton Springs, his farm being taken in charge by his son. Saturday Mr. Dewey came from his home and was engaged in drawing a load of wood from some newly cleared timber land. As Mr. Dewey was riding on top of the load coming out, one of the wheels struck a log or root and he was thrown from the load. The team continued to move on with the load, a wheel passing over Mr. Dewey's right shoulder and leg. He now lied in a critical condition at the home of his son, suffering with a broken shoulder, a broken leg, several broken ribs and injured back, and it is feared serious internal injuries.

From Geneva Daily Times 1 June 1907

Canandaigua, N. Y. - William Egbert
and Joseph Dene, employees at the Lisk, had a narrow escape from drowning Thursday afternoon. They were fishing in the lake and when about in the middle, opposite Tichenor's Point, the boat filled with water and overturned. They were plunged into the water, but clung to the ends of the boat, while calls of distress brought the E. H. Bryce launch to their rescue and the men and their capsized boat were brought safely to land.

From Geneva Daily Times 8 June 1907

Miss Loretta Gibson,
of Exchange street, delightfully entertained a number of her friends at her home last evening. Music and games were indulged in and refreshments were served. Among those present were the Misses Hazel Van Huben, Marguerite Hannum, Bertha Habberfield, Irene Van Huben, Mary Rogers, Alva Habberfield, Hannah Rogers, Matilda Huber, Messrs. Frank Demming, James Callan, George Bourn, Eddy Jackson, Lloyd Bosworth, and Harold Raaf.

From Geneva Daily Times 11 June 1907

Peter Conover,
a well-known character about the city, made an unsuccessful attempt to commit suicide yesterday afternoon. Mr. Conover took a quantity of morphine but was discovered before the drug had a chance to do its work and was rescued by a vigorous use of the stomach pump by two physicians. The attempt to end his life was made by Mr. Conover, it is believed, while he was in a fit of despondency. Under the old village government, Mr. Conover was one of the constables. At one time he was possessed of considerable property. Of late he has had but little to do and it is also stated that he has lost most of his property through poor investments. For the past year or so he has been engaged chiefly as a process server for local attorneys and he has, as a rule, made his headquarters at the police station. For some time it had been noticed that Mr. Conover had been gradually failing in health, and also in spirits. Yesterday morning he was at the police station as usual. In conversation with Officer McDonald, he stated that he was not feeling well and that he was going to have an operation soon. He was acting somewhat strangely at the time, but no particular attention was paid to him by the officers. Yesterday afternoon Mrs. Conover noticed her husband acting strangely and she kept watch of him. Shortly after 3 o'clock he went upstairs. She followed a short time afterwards and found Mr. Conover unrobed and in bed. He was half asleep and apparently rapidly sinking into unconsciousness. Mrs. Conover, her suspicions aroused, asked him if he had taken anything and he replied, "Yes, it is all off."

There was no one in the house at the time except Mr. and Mrs. Conover and a young daughter. Mrs. Conover called to the little girl to telephone for a physician while she endeavored to keep Mr. Conover awake. It was some time before a physician was located. Finally Dr. Youngs, and later Dr. McCaw, were located. Both physicians responded as soon as they got the call. Mr. Conover was unconscious when the physicians arrived. Emetics were administered without result and then the stomach pump was resorted to and the poison removed from the stomach. The physicians worked over the man for nearly three hours before consciousness was restored. As he regained his senses, it is stated, he struggled with the physicians and cried out that if he did not died this time he would accomplish his purpose in some other manner. Mr. Conover is supposed to have taken a powder containing about five grains of morphine. It is stated that about five days ago he purchased such a powder and took it home saying it was to be used to kill a dog with. Mrs. Conover discovered the powder in the pocket of his coat and removed it and hid it in a bureau drawer. Mr. Conover, it is said, discovered the powder after he went upstairs and immediately swallowed it.

Another attempt to end his life, it is stated, was made by Mr. Conover about two weeks ago. On this occasion he took a gun from its usual place and went into the cellar. Mrs. Conover followed him and after a struggle took the gun away from him. Mr. Conover is a son of the late George S. Conover, who had a considerable reputation as a local historian.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 12 June 1907

Shortsville, N. Y. -  Herman Inglis
of Hopewell had a narrow escape from serious injury on Saturday morning. He was turning a horse into pasture when the animal kicked him making a bad wound in the forehead just above the eyes. Several stitches were necessary to close the wound which is a very painful one.

Rushville, N. Y. -  Last Wednesday while Ernest and Ethel Cole were driving home from school, their horse became frightened at an automobile which was crossing the bridge by the lumber yard and turning quickly upset the carriage throwing the occupants into the ditch. Some men nearby promptly caught the horse and helped the two out of their difficulty. They escaped with slight injuries.

From Victor Herald 14 June 1907

Mrs. Laurence Meagher
received a serious scalp wound and other injuries as the result of being thrown from a wagon in a runaway accident which occurred near the New York Central station in this village Thursday morning. Mr. and Mrs. Meagher, who reside south of this village, drove up to leave some packages at the express office. While Mr. Meagher was in the office the horse was frightened by the noise of a train on the other side of the station and whirled suddenly, throwing Mrs. Meagher out onto the cement walk. Turning into Maple avenue, the animal dashed down the hill from the station and was brought to a halt by becoming entangled with the large freight wagon of the Locke Insulator Mfg. Co., which stood at one side of the road near the foot of the hill. Mrs. Meagher was removed to the Central Hotel. It is hoped that she may be able to be taken to her home today.

From Geneva Daily Times 15 June 1907

Manchester, N. Y. - Mrs. Jane Crandall,
an old lady of Farmington, fell to the floor Thursday and fractured her collar bone for the second time within a year. It is stated that during her life this accident has been repeated three times.

From Geneva Daily Times 19 June 1907

Canandaigua, N. Y. - Francis Miller, of Farmington, is in county jail here charged with abduction. He was arrested Saturday on a charge preferred by Abram Douglass, who claims that during the latter's absence, Miller, who is a farm hand and was in Douglass's employ, took a ladder and got into the room of Douglass's daughter, Bertha, and took her with him to Palmyra, where they took a car to Lyons and were together that night and part of the next day before the girl's father overtook them. The girl is only 16 years old. Mr. Douglass caused Miller's arrest, and he was remanded to jail by Justice Edwin Gardner, of Farmington, and will be held for grand jury disposal.

Shortsville, N. Y. - Fred Warne, of this village, a brakeman on the Lehigh Valley Railroad, came near being fatally injured at Manchester Station night before last. Mr. Warne was off duty and was going to Buffalo where his wife is, having been summoned there last week because of the serious illness of her sister, when he slipped and fell almost under a passing car. The eye witnesses of the accident think it was a very narrow escape, and as it was his injuries are quite severe as his head was badly cut and bruised.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 19 June 1907

Saturday afternoon a horse driven by Elmer Davis was struck at the corner of Chapin street and Adelaide avenue by an automobile driven by Fred R. Appleton, Gorham street. In the auto with Mr. Appleton was his little daughter, who was thrown out by the force of the collision but escaped with few bruises. Neither Mr. Davis nor Mr. Appleton were injured and the horse was only slightly cut. Both the carriage and the auto were somewhat damaged by the crash.

Friday morning about 9:45 o'clock, after taking fright at the railway cars in front of the town house, a young team of horses attached to a farm wagon and driven by Porter D. Smith of Farmington, ran away down Main street at a fearful pace, furnishing one of the ugliest runaways seen in this place in some time. The team at top speed ran to the lake road, turning in front of the Lake Breeze hotel, causing a rapid clearing of the street to give it right of way, while Mr. Smith sat braced in the wagon box guiding them as much as possible to prevent collisions. A large crowd soon gathered in the business portion of the street and watched the course of the team, which attempted to turn the lake road corner at their mad speed. The turn was too short and one of the team slipped and fell, sliding about 30 feet, pulling down the other horse and bringing them both to a halt, when a passerby caught their bridle. Mr. Smith suffered no injury although the strain of the incident weakened him greatly for the time. The first horse which fell suffered several slight scratches.

From Geneva Daily Times 22 June 1907

Canandaigua, N. Y. - Mrs. Eveline Smith fell at her  home on Chapin street Thursday evening and fractured a hip. She was alone at the time and was found lying on the floor. Mrs. Smith is advanced in years and is quite feeble. She was removed to the Memorial Hospital. Some time ago she fell and fractured her jaw. She had also broken a wrist previous to that accident. She is the widow of Dr. J. T. Smith, one of the leading physicians of this town for many years.

From Geneva Daily Times 24 June 1907

Phelps, N. Y. - The annual reunion of the Ridley family was held at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Wheeler Saturday. there were 125 members of the family, their relatives and friends, present. The guests were entertained with games, music and the following literary programs: "Aunt Hetty's Reflection on Matrimony," Miss Anna Lake; "John Takes a Degree," Mrs. J. W. Donnelly; "How Old is Grandpa?," Charles Ridley, Jr.; . . . . . . also rendered by the Misses Emma Severn, Alice Lake, and Master Loyd Ridley, and a vocal selection given in German by Miss Anna Conine. Following these exercises, a banquet was served on the lawn. The following officers were elected: President, E. L. Ridley; vice-presidents, William L. Crothers, Mrs. William Dudley, Mrs. Horace Hughson, Mrs. S. E. Burgdorf, Mrs. George A. Conine, Mrs. J. W. Donnelly, Charles Crothers, Jesse Severn, Nelson Ridley, William Hughson; secretary, James Jackson; treasurer, Elmer VanIngraham.

From Geneva Daily Times 25 June 1907

The annual meeting of the Standard Bearers was held Saturday evening at the home of Miss Mae Storms. The following officers were elected: President, Edith Ingraham; first vice-president, Gertrude Brizzee; second vice-president, Grace Shaw; third vice-president, May Smith; fourth vice-president, LaVern Stoddard; recording secretary, Grace Brizee, corresponding secretary, Miss Etta Powell; treasurer, George Smith; collectors, Howard Green, Warren Stoddard and May Storms; organists, Grace Shaw and Grace Brizzee; chairman of literary committee, Rev. H. L. Andrews; literary committee, Grace Shaw, Edith Ingraham and LaVerne Stoddard. 

From Canandaigua Chronicle 26 June 1907

William C. Watson,
Perry Place, an employe of the McKechnie brewery, was struck by a wheel in the ice plant Thursday afternoon and sustained a severe cut on the right side of the face. It was necessary to take five stitches in the cut. Friday afternoon at about the same time Mr. Watson fell from a scaffold in the cold storage plant and fractured his right leg above the ankle.

St. Mary's Church, Canandaigua, N. Y. - The following names were given to the infants baptized last Sunday: William James McNamara, Alphonse Joseph Van Damme, Antonio Caruso, Maria Louis Martino.

From Geneva Daily Times 27 June 1907

Canandaigua, N. Y. - Thomas Ryan
of Victor was struck by a Rochester and Eastern car near Victor late Tuesday night and was brought to the Memorial Hospital in this village suffering from a dislocated shoulder and fractured rib. The flesh was torn for several inches from the thigh. Ryan was in such a heavy stupor that he did not rouse while his wounds were being cared for. Dr. O. J. Hallenbeck, the company's physician, attended him. Ryan is about 40 years of age and has a family.

From Geneva Daily Times 28 June 1907

Canandaigua, N. Y. -
The wedding of Thomas F. O'Connell of Chapinville to Miss Ada May Randolph, who is employed in this village, which has been announced in several papers as having taken place Wednesday, did not come off on scheduled time. The groom had made arrangements with Rev. James T. Dougherty to perform the ceremony, the girl giving her age as eighteen. The news reached the girl's family at Italy and the mother and her three sons came to town as quickly as possible, arriving here in time to stop the ceremony on the ground that the girl was only sixteen. The girl's brothers applied for a warrant for O'Connell charging him with abduction, but after taking counsel with the justice, decided not to press the charge, and the family returned to Italy, taking the girl with them.

From Geneva Daily Times 1 July 1907

Manchester, N. Y. -
Friends here have been notified that Mrs. W. H. Post of this village, who went to Rochester to attend a picnic a few days ago, had been injured while getting on a street car, and had been unable to walk since. An effort will be made to bring her home today.

From Geneva Daily Times 5 July 1907

Canandaigua, N. Y. -
For attempting to kill his wife, his daughter, and her child, Paddy Mitchell of Ontario street is incarcerated in the police station today. He managed to inflict a bad scalp wound on his wife's head with an axe. Paddy is not considered mentally responsible, and he indulged in fire water instead of fireworks to celebrate the Fourth.

Gorham, N. Y. -
Saturday evening as William Pulver left his store to go home, going out by the back door, he encountered some obstruction which in the darkness he did not see, and fell, running a nail into the roof of his mouth through the lip. Treatment was immediately given by Dr. Stevenson to prevent blood poison and it is hoped that no serious consequences will result from the accident.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 10 July 1907

On July 4th, the house of Mr. and Mrs. John Bundy, on the Geneva turnpike, was the scene of a pleasant family gathering, when children and grandchildren, together with friends, gathered for a happy day. The day was an ideal one, and when father and mother and their nine children, together with sons-in-law, and daughters-in-law, and grandchildren gathered, making a group of 22, there was the look of joy and happiness on each face as they sat on the porch for a photograph, then they went out on the side lawn, where tables were set, loaded down with a bountiful dinner to which all did ample justice. Amusements followed and several fine selections were given by Clarence Brandow on his phonograph. After the last rocket was sent up and the cracker set off, the merry party separated, each going home with the remembrance of a happy time. The guests were Mr. and Mrs. LeGrand Tum of Rochester, Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Brandow and two daughters, S. A. Brandow, Mr. and Mrs. William Bundy and baby of Cheshire, Mr. and Mrs. Adelmon Bundy and Mr. and Mrs. John Collins and James Collins, Mr. and Mrs. E. B. Stark and three children of Centerfield, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Stark, Miss Mabel Stark and Thomas Stark of Rushville.

Victor, N. Y. -  George Pittinger, who resides east of this village, was a victim of the Fourth. Mr. Pittinger had the misfortune to lose a finger by an explosion caused by attempting to remove a jammed cartridge from a magazine shot gun.

From Geneva Daily Times 15 July 1907

Phelps, N. Y. - M. F. Truax,
of Geneva, was here yesterday conferring with laboring men with the view of establishing a branch of the Laborers' Union in Phelps. About 25 joined Mr. Truax at the Phelps Hotel and the local conditions were thoroughly discussed. Those present enrolled themselves as charter members and instructed Mr. Truax to apply for a charter. Officers as follows were elected: President, Patrick Cannavan; secretary, Frank Van Buren; treasurer, Jeffery Benning.

From Geneva Daily Times 16 July 1907

Phelps, N. Y. - Charles Coburn,
a Crown Drill employee, is suffering from blood poisoning, as a result of a slight injury that he received while handling a heavy piece of timber a few days ago. The timber dropped on Mr. Coburn's finger and caused a slight bruise which, so far, has refused to heal. The entire hand and the arm below the elbow is now affected.

T. H. Truslow and E. A. Ellis returned last night from an automobile trip to Cleveland. They left Geneva at 2 o'clock Saturday afternoon and drove to Buffalo, arriving at 7 o'clock. On Sunday they went to Cleveland and yesterday returned to Geneva, covering the 300 miles in twenty hours. This is an exceptionally long days' run and the route was covered without incident. The trip was made on an average of eighteen miles to a gallon of gasoline. T. H. Chew and H. H. Schieffelin purchased new Buick automobiles yesterday. Both cars are of the two cylinder 24-horsepower type.

From Geneva Daily Times 18 July 1907

Canandaigua, N. Y. - Saturday Mrs. Michael Durand, who resides on the Durand farm on the Cheshire road west of this village, will celebrate her 100th birthday. This notable anniversary will not be made the occasion of a formal celebration owing to the fact that last fall Mrs. Durand fell and fractured her hip and shoulder and since then her strength has failed. She is able to be lifted from her bed to her chair and joins her family during the day. She is cared for by her daughter, Miss Myra Durand. Six children, thirteen grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren complete the family. She was a daughter of Captain George Hickox, a pioneer settler of this town. Her husband, Elias Durand, died many years ago. Mrs. Durand retains her mental faculties to a wonderful degree and her memory is remarkable.

From Geneva Daily Times 22 July 1907

Clifton Springs, N. Y. - The following young ladies, chaperoned by Mrs. Ed. Benham, are camping at Beckwith Cottage, Sodus Point, this week: Misses Laura, Katherine and Mary Donovan, Jennie Benham, Kittie Madden, Jennie Madden, Minnie Lindner, Anna Lindner of Clifton Springs, and Miss Nellie Wormsted of Seneca Falls, and Marge Sabine of Phelps.

From Geneva Daily Times 24 July 1907

Canandaigua, N. Y. - Yesterday afternoon the Memorial Hospital received two badly injured patients from Reeds Corners. They were Martin Jones, who suffered from fractures of both ankles and a rib, and Benton Pierce, who had his thigh and one arm broken. The men were working on a scaffold, painting the barn of H. A. Pratt on the Middle road, between Rushville and Leeds Corners, when the scaffold fell and precipitated them to the ground. Dr. F. C. Brockmyre was called, and he placed the injured men in a comfortable a condition as possible for their removal to the hospital.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 24 July 1907

The following party of young ladies are spending two weeks at Ko-Ko-Ko-Ho Lodge on the lake, chaperoned by Mrs. G. A. Wegner, Howell street: the Misses Edna Williams and Eleanor and Lillian Gunnell of Buffalo; and Misses Linda Combes, Charlotte Fox, Wilma Wegner, Marguerite France, Mary Lane and Bertha Case of this village.

Shortsville, N. Y. -  When returning from the ball game at Palmyra on Saturday evening in their Ford run-about, Clarence Heath, and his son, Sydney L. Heath, had a narrow escape from a serious accident. Just outside the village of Manchester, the roads have been filled with gravel, and as the machine struck this bad road, on a down grade, the steering apparatus failed to respond to the driver's hand, and the car was ditched. Mr. Heath was thrown several feet in the air, and it was at first feared that he was severely injured, but he luckily escaped with nothing worse than a very thorough shaking up. The machine was put out of business for the time being, and was hauled to Shortsville by the Wheel shop team.

Cheshire, N. Y. - Last Tuesday Roy Mullen met with a painful accident. He was unloading hay when the rope on the horse fork became twisted. In attempting to untwist the rope, his finger was caught in the pulley, breaking one of the bones and also smashing the nail and the end of the finger and bruising other fingers. Dr. Hutchens dressed the wounds.

From Geneva Daily Times 25 July 1907

Rushville, N. Y. - Vernon Squires, Cazort Boardman, Rushville, John Furgeson, Gorham, Harold Dwyer, Canandaigua, Misses Fay Fisher, Effie Fisher, Bessie Jones, Rushville, Miss Mildred Phillips, Gorham, have gone to Sodus Bay for a ten-days outing, having rented a cottage, taking Mr. and Mrs. William Holbrook along in the capacity of chaperons.

From Geneva Daily Times 27 July 1907

Canandaigua, N. Y. - Today at her home, three miles west of this village, Mrs. Michael Hickox Durand reached her one hundredth birthday anniversary. Owing to her feeble condition, the event is not being formally celebrated, as the family had hoped, but her sons and daughters and as many of her grandchildren as could be present are with her. They include Mrs. E. A. McGerald of Buffalo; Miss Myra Durand, who lives with her mother and whose life has been devoted to her comfort and happiness; Rufus A. Durand and Henry A. Durand of Canandaigua; and Will G. Durand of Phelps. There are thirteen grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren. Within the year Mrs. Durand has fractured a hip and a shoulder, and though she has partly recovered, she has failed gradually under the strain. She is able to be lifted from her bed into her wheel chair and goes out on the veranda daily when the weather permits. She usually shares the midday meal with the family. Her mental powers are still strong, and her memory is clear. Newspapers and periodicals have been her constant companions, and she has read assiduously on all topics of the day. Within the last few months, during the time when she has been confined to her bed, with a fractured limb, she has read less. She delights to recall interesting events of pioneer days and the changes she has witnessed in the manner of living afford an endless subject of conversation. She repeats long poems and sketches which she learned in her youth.

Mrs. Durand was a daughter of Captain George Hickox and was a granddaughter of Levi Hickox, who was among the first settlers on the Phelps & Gorham purchase. The senior Hickox was a soldier in the Revolutionary War and was with Washington at Trenton. Mr. Hickox obtained the rank of captain by his service in general training, when twice a year the yeomen between the ages of 18 and 40 years were summoned to the two training days, and in case of non-appearance they were fined. Later in the war of 1812, Captain Hickox was stationed at Buffalo, in charge of a company of militia. Mrs. Durand's mother was Miss Eunice Holcomb, who came from New England to teach school in the New country. She met Captain Hickox and their marriage followed. Mrs. Durand was married to Elias Durand in 1830, when she was 23 years of age. Her husband was a descendant of Dr. John Durand, a Huguenot, who came to this country from France in 1665. His tombstone still stands in Derby, Conn. The wedding outfit of Mrs. Durand was secured from the sale of twenty coverlets, which she wove with her own hands and disposed of at $1.25 each. The married life, and, indeed, the whole life of Mrs. Durand has been spent within a few miles of her birthplace. Here she has lived for a century. Her children have grown into manhood and womanhood. Her husband has been taken from her, and for 42 years she has been without his companionship. But through all the changes of times, she has retained her sweetness and simplicity of mind and heart. For 75 years, she has been a devoted adherent of the Methodist faith. She was received into the church in the Coke chapel, which was situated near her home.

From Geneva Daily Times 30 July 1907

Mrs. Louis Stauff
of Exchange street was severely injured by a fall from a street car in Exchange street last evening. Mrs. Stauff was on her way home on a car coming toward the city. Just how the accident happened is something of a mystery although it is supposed that she got dizzy as she attempted to step from the car and and fell. The car was moving at the time. The conductor had been told to stop at the corner of North and Exchange streets. He evidently misunderstood the signal however, for the car kept on going. As it passed Mrs. Stauff's home, she got up and again motioned to the conductor. The car slackened speed somewhat and the woman moved over toward the side of the car. As she got near the edge she fell over and onto the pavement. The car was stopped and Mrs. Stauff was picked up and carried to a nearby porch. She was unconscious. Dr. W. W. Skinner was called immediately. It was found that the left shoulder was fractured and that there were numerous bruises about the head and shoulders. One knee was also badly bruised. Mrs. Stauff regained consciousness after a time and was removed to her home. Today it was reported that she was somewhat improved.

Return to Ontario County Homepage

Copyright © 2005-10, Ontario County NYGenWeb and each contributor and author of materials herein. All rights reserved.
Updated 24 February 2010