From Geneva Advertiser Gazette 1 June 1905

Martin Welch,
whose home is in the town of Phelps, about three miles north of Geneva, was in the city last Monday, driving a white horse hitched to a Democrat wagon. He was driving out from hitching sheds of A. E. Smith, and when opposite Kelleher & Malone's new barn, the horse became frightened at the sudden starting up of the concrete mixer and dashed out of the alley. When at the center of Seneca street, the horse swerved and Welch was thrown out of the wagon, landing on his head and shoulders on the railroad track and hard asphalt near Sweet's corner. A crowd assembled in a half minute and he was borne senseless into the drug store. There a brief examination disclosed that his collar bone and an arm were broken and he was fearfully injured about the head. A little later he was taken to the hospital in the ambulance where his injuries were attended to by one of the hospital corps. Dr. Sweet says he was badly injured, but thought not beyond recovery. We trust it may so prove.

From Geneva Daily Times 1 June 1905

Gorham, N. Y. -
While Mrs. Susie Burgesss and daughter, Carrie, were driving on the cross road which passes what is known as the Younglove school house Tuesday, their horse became frightened and started down a steep grade at a rapid pace. The women were thrown out but with the exception of a few bruises and a severe shaking up, they were not seriously injured.

From Geneva Daily Times 6 June 1905

Rushville, N. Y. -
Yesterday afternoon at 3 o'clock Rice McCauley, of Stanley, was driving from Potter with Edward McAllister's horse and buggy, when at Holbrook's Corners, the horse started to run and Mr. McCauley was unable to control him. He did not stop until the buggy hit the lamp post at the town pump. He cleared himself of it and went on to the barn. Mr. McCauley was thrown some twenty feet, striking his head and shoulders. He received severe injuries. The buggy was a complete wreck. The horse has been known to run away several times before this.

From Geneva Daily Times 12 June 1905

Saturday, while Charles Maine was returning home from delivering a load of potatoes at the New York Central yards, the kingbolt of the wagon reach broke as he was driving down Exchange street hill. As the tongue dropped, the horses freed themselves from the wagon and Mr. Maine jumped. The wagon by this time had gained considerable headway and a moment after Maine jumped the tongue ran into an obstruction and threw the wagon twenty feet in the air. It landed bottom side up. Had Mr. Maine remained in the wagon he would have been undoubtedly killed or at least severely injured. The horses ran but a short distance before they were captured. The harness was slightly damaged.

From Geneva Daily Times 13 June 1905

In Police Court last evening twelve young men, who were arrested Sunday night by Officers Merry and Kuney, were arraigned charged with violating Sec. 17 of the street ordinances relating to lounging in public places. All of the young men were arrested on Seneca street and most of them were in the opera house block. Judge Wyckoff spoke severely and warned the offenders against a repetition of the violation. He suspended sentence in all cases. Those arrested were Irving Palmer, William street; Thomas Mack, North and Cherry streets; William McGuire, West street; Westley Dennison, 16 Milk street; Edward Gallagher, 160 Nursery avenue; Verney Newell, 24 Milk street; Andrew Doherty, 49 Herbert street; Harry Hines, No. 34 Milk street; Frank O'Malley, 101 Sherrill street; John Murphy, Hamilton street; Henry Comisky, No. 50 West avenue; and William Parrish, No. 20 Center street.

From Geneva Daily Times 14 June 1905

Michael "Strong Arm" Ford,
45 years old, and the father of a large family, was struck by a freight engine near the State street  crossing of the New York Central at noon today, and strange to relate he escaped with but a few bruises. According to witnesses of the affair, Ford was intoxicated and was walking along the tracks towards the State street crossing from the direction of Exchange street when the freight train, moving slowly, approached from the rear. Ford did not heed the warnings of Flagman Vanderbilt and others, but stubbornly stood his ground until the pilot beams on the engine caught him in the small of the back and he was thrown thirty feet across some semaphore wires. He lay as if dead. Efforts were being made to summon the City Hospital ambulance and some surgeons, and after a furor of excitement had been created in the neighborhood, Ford arose, shook himself, mopped the perspiration off his forehead with his hand and shuffled up State street in the direction of Genesee. As far as can be ascertained he was not injured.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 21 June 1905

Gorham, N. Y. -
Three infants were baptized at the Methodist church Sunday. They were Charles Clifford Wing, son of Mr. and Mrs. William Wing of Rochester; LeRoy Bain Carson, son of Mr. and Mrs. T. C. Carson of Canandaigua, and Harriet Mildred Fritz, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Lorenzo H. Fritz of this village. Mrs. Elizabeth Ledgewood and Miss Nellie Harris were also baptized and received as members of the church.

From Geneva Daily Times 24 June 1905

Michael Kearns
of Exchange street, charged with failure to support his family, and intoxication, was arrested yesterday afternoon by Policeman Hawkins. In court this morning, he was only arraigned on the intoxication charge. He pleaded guilty and was given fifteen days straightaway at breaking stone at the County jail. Upon the expiration of his sentence he will have the choice of going to work and supporting his family or another and longer trip to jail.

From Geneva Daily Times 26 June 1905

Rushville, N. Y. -
The annual reunion of the Read family was held Thursday, at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Monroe Ferguson, two and one-half miles west of this place. There were seventy-five persons present. A bountiful dinner was served at 2 o'clock. Those present from a distance were Mr. and Mrs. Laban Parsons of Detroit, Mich. Mr. Read is the president of the board of trade of that city. Their daughter, Mrs. Arthur Scidmore and daughter, Margaret, of Three Rivers, Mich.; Mrs. Roxana Joslyn of Rochester, Mrs. Mary Parsons and daughter, Miss Georgiana, Mr. and Mrs. E. E. Cal man of Hopewell, Dr. Will Hawley and mother of Dundee, County Clerk Henry T. Read and wife of Penn Yan, Mr. and Mrs. Lemual Darling of Middlesex, Mr. and Mrs. A. T. Angell, Mrs. William Ward and son, all of Italy. Some who started were delayed on account of washouts and did not arrive till next day. Austin Read was elected president and A. T. Angell secretary and treasurer. They will meet next year at the home of the president. During the past year three of the family have died. They were Miss Jenonlds, of Vine Valley; Calvin Reed, of Argonia, Kansas, and Josiah Read, of Claypool, Ind. The last two deaths occurred this month.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 28 June 1905

One of the oddest experiences on record happened to Mr. Fred Appleton, a resident of Gorham street, recently. Some time ago Mrs. Appleton lost a valuable diamond from her ring and failed to recover it, although she searched in every corner. The stone had been given up as lost, until recently while visiting at Sodus, Mr. Appleton felt something hard in his shoe and removing the shoe, he found the diamond. It is probable that the stone fastened on his stocking and from there it was transferred to the shoe.

Shortsville, N. Y. - The annual reunion of the Francis family was held on Saturday afternoon at the home of Mr. and Mrs. O. C. Packard, Water street, and over fifty guests were present. Dinner and supper were served in Red Men's hall, which had been attractively decorated with daisies and ferns for the occasion. Mrs. Mark Francis acted as toastmistress. Among those who responded were Floyd F. Briggs of Lima, whose subject was "Our Reunion," and Mrs. William Seymour, who gave "Our President." A literary and musical program followed. The following officers were chosen for another year: President, Mrs. O. C. Packard of Shortsville; vice-president, Elnathan Briggs of Lima; secretary, Floyd F. Briggs. Four generations of the family attended this reunion, including guests from Penn Yan, Allen's Hill, West Bloomfield, Bristol, Lima and Syracuse. Since the last reunion, held at the home of Elnathan Briggs in Lima, but one death and one birth have occurred in this large family. An invitation to meet next June in Bristol at the home of John Johnson was accepted.

Shortsville, N. Y. - The following young people, chaperoned by Mrs. Adelbert R. Thompson of Booth street, are spending a week at "Rock Ledge," Canandaigua lake: Miss Belle Wheeler of Canandaigua; the Misses Hester V. Heath, Mabel Bradley and Allie Hebbard of Rochester; L. L. Zimmer of Ithaca; Edward Sheppard of Brockport; and Sydney L. Heath of Shortsville.

From Geneva Daily Times 1 July 1905

Canandaigua, N. Y. - Lawrence Gavin,
an old and well-known resident of the village and for many years an employe of the Northern Central Railroad, in the local yards, has been compelled to submit to an operation for the removal of his left foot, at the instep, which has been done at the Memorial Hospital, by Dr. F. A. Brockmyre. The operation was made necessary by gangrene, that resulted from diabetes.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 5 July 1905

Hall's Corners, N. Y. -
The following young people under the chaperonage of Mr. and Mrs. T. Wilson Hall, are spending this week at Sheffield's Point, Canandaigua Lake: Misses Mercy Crozier, Mae Dixon, Ella Crosier, Florence VanDevort, Nina Scott, Emma Hibbard, Florence Southerland, Hattie Duck, Alice Southerland, Anna Hibbard, Jessie Cayward, Mae Wood, Dudley Dixon, Frank Dixon, Howard Cayward, Frank Middleton, Edward Hickey, Henry Southerland, Willard Onderdonk, Charles Temple.

From Geneva Daily Times 8 July 1905

William Arnold
of No. 313 Lake street had two ribs on his right side fractured and was otherwise severely injured late yesterday afternoon as the result of an unusual accident. Arnold is employed by O. Goodelle and was driving a team along Preemption street towards the Goodelle farm, north of the Driving park. Two other horses walked in the rear of the wagon, a rope attached to their heads being tied about Arnold's waist. Near the Driving park the horses suddenly jumped from the right to the left side of the wagon, pulling Arnold backwards into the box. He struck on his right side. Some farmers witnessed the accident. Arnold was able to go home and it was not until after 7 o'clock last evening that Dr. H. D. Weyburn was called to attend to his injuries.

From Geneva Daily Times 10 July 1905

Mrs. John E. Brennan,
of No. 93 Exchange street, sustained a broken left forearm yesterday afternoon in a peculiar manner. Her husband, ex-Fire Commissioner Brennan, was sitting in a hammock on the front porch and Mrs. Brennan started to sit in it also. The combined weights broke a rope on one end and the occupants fell about a foot. In falling Mrs. Brennan put both hands back of her for protection. She careened on her left side, falling on her arm. Drs. C. C. Lytle and G. B. Young were summoned and reduced the break.

James Stapleton,
the 10-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Patrick Stapleton, of the corner of Lewis and Main streets, is at the city hospital minus his right foot as the result of an accident Saturday afternoon. The boy's father was operating a mowing machine in a field near Jay street and the youngster accidentally stepped in front of the rapidly moving knives. Before his father could stop the horses, the boy's right foot, near the ankle, had been terribly lacerated. Assistance was speedily summoned and the injured lad was hurried to the City Hospital. Dr. C. D. McCarthy, who was in attendance, found that nothing could be done to save the foot and it was amputated near the ankle. The boy is resting comfortably today and is expected to fully recover from the shock occasioned by the terrible accident.

From Geneva Daily Times 11 July 1905

A number of residents of Little Italy in Torrey Park are much agitated just now over the case of Peter Mungro, who is wanted by police for discharging a revolver within the city limits. Mungro is in hiding and his wife and small five children are badly in need of his aid in securing the sustenance that life requires. Mungro got drunk on the afternoon of Sunday, June 25, and started to clean up several residents of the colony. He created a disturbance at the home of Dominick Versaci, on North Sherrill street and in an altercation that followed he fired four shots from a revolver at the owner of the house. Chief Kane was called to quell the disturbance. He couldn't find Mungro and arrested Versaci charged with intoxication. The prisoner acknowledged to the chief that he had been a target for Mungro's bullets, but when he was asked to make a complaint he declared before the court that he knew nothing of the shooting. Several friends endeavored to have him make a complaint but he refused. Judge Wyckoff was disgusted with his actions and fined him $10 for intoxication. He then issued a warrant charging Mungro with violating a city ordinance in discharging a firearm.

The Italians in the colony misinterpreted the action of the judge and thought that a warrant had been issued charging Mungro with an attempt to kill Versaci and that in the event of his capture he faced a long term of imprisonment. Mungro stayed away from his home for about a week and the matter appeared to have been forgotten. One night about a week ago he returned but was informed of the existence of the warrant and again disappeared. Several times since then in the dead of night, he is known to have visited his family, all the time fearful of arrest. Chief Kane was of the opinion that the man was really in hiding in the colony, but a thorough search failed to reveal him. His friends always asserted that he was not in the city. The case reached a climax this morning when Mungro's mother and Joseph Madia, an interpreter, appeared in court and tried to have the man tried without his being present in court. Chief Kane informed them that such a course was impossible. He tried to make the Italians believe that the charge against Mungro was not a serious one and he could only be fined $50 for the offense, but the woman was suspicious that there was something back of it all and she pleaded that the trial be held without the man. Finally Madia told Chief Kane that he would make an effort to have Mungro appear in court and be sentenced. He was not sure that the man would consent to give himself up, fearing that what his friends told him about the long sentence might prove true. The offense with which Mungro is charged is punishable under the provisions of the city charter by a fine of not less than $1 and not more than $50 and imprisonment in the Ontario County jail one day for every dollar of fine imposed providing that the fine is not paid. Mungro's friends will pay his fine if he will only give himself up.

From Victor Herald 14 July 1905

East Bloomfield, N. Y. -
The confirmation service at St. Peter's Episcopal church, Monday afternoon, was well attended. The following class of six received the Rite of Confirmation: Pauline G. Lee, Winnifred E. Mason, Julia McMillan, Ruth Wilkins, Charles Snyder and David Donnelly. The bishop was assisted in the service by Archdeacon Davis and William Guy Rains, Jr., lay reader in charge. The church was tastefully decorated for the occasion by members of the confirmation class.

From Geneva Daily Times 18 July 1905

Seneca Castle, N. Y. - Patrick Trayner,
of this village, has returned from a month's visit in Ireland, the land of his birth. Most of the his time was spent in Ladyrath, County Meath, where his parents reside. He also visited Dublin, Lakes of Killarney, and other points of interest. He reports a very enjoyable time. Mr. Trayner was accompanied by his brother, M. J. Trayner, and wife of Buffalo.

John Griffin, an employee of the Standard Optical company, got the first finger of his left hand caught in a power press which he was operating at the works of that company yesterday morning. The entire top of the finger was taken off. Mr. Griffith was taken to the office of Dr. Covert where the injury was dressed.

From Geneva Daily Times 19 July 1905

Herbert Mowry,
of No. 448 Exchange street, a painter in the employ of Wilson Bros., on Seneca street, was prostrated by the heat at his home shortly after returning from work last evening and was unconscious for over half an hour. Dr. H. D. Weyburn was called and soon had the man on the road to recovery. Dr. Weyburn said this afternoon that the man will fully recover. This is the first case of heat prostration reported.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 19 July 1905

Rushville, N. Y. -
A party of young people consisting of the following, Misses Vera Davis, Faye Fisher, Effa Fisher, Carrie Stewart, Mabel Stark, Margaret Williams, of this place; and Miss Hazel Chapman of Penn Yan; and Messrs. Robert Barnes, Vernon Squires, George Foster, Clifford Jones, Fred Torrey, Benj. Deusenbury, of this village; and Harry Hutton of Penn Yan; also Mr. and Mrs. William Holbrook with Mrs. Mary Green as chaperone, are spending the week at Fisher's cottage, Canandaigua lake.

From Victor Herald 21 July 1905

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - Constance Simmons,
who works on Henry M. Parmele's farm in West Bloomfield, Monday afternoon about 5 o'clock, met with a serious accident, which will lay him up for some time. He was drawing hay into the barn, and in some way the load tipped over and Simmons fell to the floor, striking his head on a sill, cutting a fearful gash in his forehead, besides badly fracturing his wrist. Dr. Boult of Honeoye Falls was called and attended the injured man, who is doing as well as could be expected.

William H. Cornford was pleasantly surprised, on opening his pension envelope this month, to find that a kindly government, without being asked, had increased his pension from ten to twelve dollars a month, and allowed him back pay from March, 1905. Mr. Cornford was a good soldier and deserves all that he gets.

From Geneva Daily Times 22 July 1905

George Franklin,
an Italian, twenty-three years old, residing at the corner of Jackson and Center streets was arrested at 7:45 last night by Policeman McNerney, charged with attempting to shoot John Taney of No. 52 Center street. His case will be disposed of some time during this afternoon. According to the story told the police by Taney, he, Thomas Murray and Daniel Claffey were crossing Lewis street near Exchange when Franklin passed. He bumped against Taney, the act seemingly being with intent. An argument followed and Franklin threatened Taney. The latter in self defense struck the Italian in the face. Franklin then rushed towards his boarding house on Jackson street and Taney returned to the Park hotel. Very soon Franklin appeared on the east side of Exchange street opposite the Park hotel. He had his hand in right coat pocket, and sneeringly dared any man in the big crowd that had collected across the street to come over and fight him. No one seemed inclined to accept the challenge. Patrick Cass of Clinton street who was standing nearby called to Policeman McNerney, who was at the Central station. Franklin saw the policeman coming and he started to run with the officer in hot pursuit. Franklin dashed through Jackson street and was out of sight when the policeman arrived there. After a search of twenty minutes, Franklin was found under a bed tick in a small clothes press in what is known as the "Poor House," block on Jackson street. He was badly frightened. McNerney handcuffed that man and took him to the station. The prisoner's resemblance to Tony Scotzo, the murderer of Rocco Sereva, caused a big crowd to congregate at the station and rumors gained in circulation that the murderer had been captured. When searched no weapons of any nature were found on Franklin. He was locked up. This morning subpoenas were issued for a number of men who were witnesses of the affair. When examined none of them would swear that they saw the Italian have any weapon in his hand. Taney has no charge to make against him, but because of a reputation the man is alleged to have earned for bothering women and girls in the eastern part of the city he will be arraigned, charged with using abusive language in that he used vile names in addressing the crowd in front of the Park hotel last night.

From Geneva Daily Times 27 July 1905

Clifton Springs, N. Y. - Daniel Crowley,
who lives on a farm three miles north of this village, severely cut his right hand on a steel needle of the self binder Tuesday afternoon. The palm of the hand was badly cut and another severe wound was on the back of the hand. The middle finger also received a cut. Several stitches were taken in the wounds and he was made as comfortable as possible.

Shortsville, N. Y. - The annual picnic of St. Dominic's society of Shortsville and Manchester, which was held on the High School grounds in this village yesterday afternoon and evening, was a thorough and complete success in every way, the weather being fine, the attendance large and the amount of money in circulation generous. The afternoon and evening was devoted to games and contests, dancing, refreshments and ice cream, and the following energetic committees were in charge: Refreshments, Mrs. John Flynn, Mrs. T. Brophy, Miss Loretta McBouglin, Mrs. Charles Broomfield, Mrs. Murray, Mrs. Thomas Boardman and Mrs. Paul Daly; ice cream: Mrs. Thomas McCarthy, Miss Kinsella, Miss Mary Farrell, Mrs. Kate Dunn, Mrs. Daniel O'Brien, Mrs. Andrew Smock, Miss Mary Clancey and Mrs. Heffron; tables: John Connelly, Edward Shaw and James McLoughlin; floor managers: Patrick O'Brien, Sylvester McCarthy, Martin O'Brien, John McCarthy, David Phipps, Walter Morgan, Frank Daly, Thomas Brophy; gate committee: James McLoughlin, Daniel O'Brien, Philip Gilligan and Christopher Gilligan.

From Geneva Daily Times 29 July 1905

Canandaigua, N. Y. - Mrs. Michael S. Durand,
who lives with her sister, Miss Myra Durand, on the Cheshire road, celebrated her ninety-eighth birthday quietly Thursday. She is quite a remarkable woman, being in full possession of her faculties, and able to sew and read without glasses.

From Geneva Daily Times 1 August 1905

In Police court this afternoon Isaac Turner, of Lake street, arrested yesterday morning by Policeman Manley on a warrant charging third degree assault, was arraigned for sentence. The man pleaded guilty in the crime yesterday but Judge Wyckoff deferred sentence pending an investigation into Turner's family affairs. He found that they were not of the pleasantest because of the failure of the husband and father to provide life's necessities. Turner had been working as a painter for D. E. Moore and had some money coming. Judge Wyckoff this afternoon made him sign an order for the money due him by Mr. Moore payable to his wife, and then sentenced him to ten days in jail. Turner received the most scathing lecture delivered to a prisoner in police court in some months.

From Geneva Daily Times 2 August 1905

Stanley, N. Y. -
While attempting to take a calf from a pasture lot in which it and its mother had been grazing, Thomas R. Balis, of Stanley, a well-known farmer was painfully injured by being attacked by the infuriated cow yesterday. His left arm was lacerated and his left side badly bruised. Balls had sold the calf to Louis Kroll, of the local firm of Wilkins & Kroll, of Castle street. He was leading it out of the lot when the cow, with head lowered, rushed at him. Balis was taken unawares and before he could jump out of the way was pinioned with much force against a post. Kroll and others drove the cow off and prevented Balis from being more badly injured. The calf was delivered to the butcher all right.

Gorham, N. Y. - David Swarthout was quite badly injured yesterday morning while at the Lehigh depot after a barrel of salt. He had loaded the salt into the wagon when the horse, becoming frightened by a train, suddenly started, throwing Swarthout from the wagon wagon, the barrel of salt falling upon him. He was at once taken to his home and attended by Dr. A. D. Allen. No bones were broken, but he was found to be badly bruised and his injuries will probably confine him to the bed for several days.

From Geneva Daily Times 4 August 1905

East Bloomfield, Aug. 4 -
The East Bloomfield and Holcomb Military Band was organized Wednesday evening and the following officers were elected; President, Peter Neenan; vice-president, F. K. McMann; secretary, Frank R. Appleton; treasurer, William V. Barks; business manager, Walter T. Bridgland; musical directors, Daniel McWilliams; assistant director, Frank R. Appleton. The band has twenty charter members.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 9 August 1905

Roy Dunham
and Charles O'Reilly, two well-known young men, had a narrow escape from drowning while sailing on the lake Saturday afternoon. The boat was about at Stony Island when it was struck by a gust of wind and rain capsizing it. The young men clung to the upturned craft until their plight was recognized by lake shore dwellers in the vicinity, who came to their rescue. When taken from the water, although both are good swimmers, they were in an exhausted condition. Dunham and O'Reilly walked back to town.

Sunday evening while driving in Main street, Mrs. T. P. Murray and her sister, Miss Honora McCarthy, had a narrow escape from serious injury. The horse which Mrs. Murray was driving shied slightly at a Rochester & Eastern car and caught the line in some manner. As Mrs. Murray stooped to disengage it, the horse suddenly kicked one hoof, striking her in the left shoulder, inflicting painful bruises but fortunately no serious injury. Miss McCarthy, in attempting to get out of the carriage, fell beneath it and one wheel passed over her neck, causing a painful injury. One thill of the carriage was broken but otherwise no damage was done to the rig. The occurrence is a strange one, as the horse has always been considered absolutely gentle and it is thought sudden fright may have caused it to act as it did. At last reports both ladies were recovering from their injuries and no serious results are anticipated.

Hall, N. Y. - A party of young people will camp at Sodus this week under the chaperonage of Mrs. J. S. Rippey of Canandaigua. Mrs. Edna Rippey, Misses Stella Office, Lulu Fish, Cora Clark, Messrs. Frank Rippey, Allie Rippey, Will Nichols, George Monagle.

From Ontario County Journal 11 August 1905

Mrs. Louisa Ludlow,
widow of Thomas Ludlow, late of Halls Corners, once the widow of Joseph Crouch, a soldier, and subsequently the widow of William Simmons, also a soldier, has had her pension lost by her marriage to Ludlow, restored to her under the act of March 8, 1901, and now draws $12 per month.

From Geneva Daily Times 15 August 1905

Gorham, N. Y. -
The large black team owned by James Stokoe ran away yesterday forenoon, causing no little excitement but no damage. They were hitched to a lumber wagon and started from the barn about half a mile south of the village and ran down South street through the village to the depot and back to Main street, jumping several fences on their way. They ran for some distance up Main street when they were turned back and headed into the driveway west of the bridges and caught.

From Geneva Daily Times 16 August 1905

Canandaigua, N. Y. - Charles Moore,
of Montana, has been in town the past few days trying to gain some knowledge as the whereabouts of his relatives, if any are living, who were residents of this place when ran away from home about thirteen years ago. Moore has been unable to definitely locate any of them. He was related to John Moore, who died some time ago, and the only clue he has to lead him to believe that any of the latter family are alive is a letter written some months ago by one of Moore's daughters, who lived here only a short time after her father's death. In this letter the young woman wrote of her intention to go to Montana to live. But Moore has never been able to locate her whereabouts if she went to Montana as she expected. Moore is about 22 years of age. He and his family were living in Canandaigua about fourteen years ago, but removed to Buffalo. A short time thereafter, and at the age of 9 years, he started west to seek adventure, and he has found them, having had many interesting experiences in the wilds of Montana.

Gorham, N. Y. - Another runaway occurred here yesterday afternoon. Samuel Perry was driving a horse hitched to a light democrat containing an undertaker's outfit with satchels and blankets. In turning round, the horse started suddenly, throwing him out, and, taking his course straight for home, ran the length of Main street and turned in at his owner's driveway and ran into a stall in the barn without breaking or injuring anything. The horse is owned by C. M. DeGraff. Runaways are getting to be every day occurrences in this village.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 16 August 1905

Yesterday afternoon a team belonging to William Squiers, Foster street, and attached to a heavy wagon, were left standing in front of his residence by Mr. Squiers while he went into the house for a moment. Some children coming along the street rattling tins frightened the horses, which started to run. Mr. Squiers' little daughter, Mildred, was standing near the wagon and was struck by some portion of the rigging, injuring her about the head. She was removed to the Memorial Hospital, where her injuries were found to be not of a serious nature, consisting mostly of a painfully bruised ear and other bruises. The horses were stopped after running a short distance and little damage was done to the rig.

Last Wednesday, Judson Smith and Benjamin Eberhard, two employees of the Interlake Telephone company, had an experience which they will probably remember for some time and from which they were fortunate to escape with their lives. They were driving on the west lake shore road and when near Freer's Landing started to turn around. The road at that place runs near a deep ravine and in turning the wagon, was backed too far with the result that horse, wagon and men went over the steep bank and rolled nearly fifty feet to the bottom. Mr. Smith sustained a cracked rib and his companion was slightly bruised, while the horse suffered a few slight cuts. The escape of the two men from death or serious injury was little short of miraculous.

Shortsville, N. Y. -  The annual reunion of the Herendeen family will be held on Thursday at the home of Mr. O. D. Herendeen of Farmington, and many of the descendants of Nathan Herendeen, the head of this large family, who came to this section from North Adams, Mass., in 1790, will be present.

Victor, N. Y. -  The following party were at Sale's Cottage near Clear View, Canandaigua lake, last week: Misses Mabel Tallmadge of Albany; Marion King and Helen Harrington of Manchester; Ruth Newman of Pavilion; Etna Ketchum of Despatch; and Ida Van Vechten of Victor; Will Brayler of Despatch; Samuel Robinson of Rochester; Everett Norton, Seymour Bowers and George Van Vechten of this village. Mrs. A. B. Rowley and Mrs. Julia Embry, of this town, acted as chaperones. Mr. and Mrs. Frank Rowley were guests of the party over Sunday. Howard Stubbs also visited the party during their stay.

From Geneva Daily Times 17 August 1905

Clifton Springs, N. Y. - William Chamberlain
met with a serious accident Tuesday afternoon when a horse kicked him in the knee, shattering his knee pan. Mr. Chamberlain was taken to the Surgical Ward of the Sanitarium Annex and his injuries were attended to by Dr. Tinker. He was employed by George W. Curran on a farm just out of the corporation which was recently purchased by Mr. Curran, who moved here from Rochester this summer.

What might have been a serious accident occurred in this village yesterday afternoon when a colt recently purchased by Herbert Walters became frightened and ran away. Mr. Walters was getting into the carriage on Crane street in front of the hotel when the horse started. He was dragged about four rods in the mud up the street, but escaped without any serious injuries. The horse ran up Crane street and turned to the right, running up West Hill where he was caught. The carriage was completely demolished. A slight cut on the head was all the injury Mr. Walters received.

From Geneva Daily Times 22 August 1905

Phelps, N. Y. - Mrs. Robert Schellenger
was pleasantly surprised yesterday by a party of relatives and friends, the occasion being her seventy-eighth birthday. The affair was quietly arranged by her daughter, Mrs. William Vincent, and her daughter-in-law, Mrs. Edward Schellenger, the hostess having no knowledge of the surprise until the party appeared at her home. They were well provided with provisions and after a repast spent the afternoon and evening recalling pleasant memories. Of the older people present were two sisters of Mrs. Schellenger, Mrs. Mary Fulford, who is 84 years of age and as active as a person 25 years her junior. Her other sister, Mrs. John Earl of Rochester, is 76. Mrs. Schellenger also has another sister, Mrs. James Warren, who lives at New Albany, Ind., who is past her eighty-second year, and a brother, John Eldridge, of Canandaigua, who has eighty years to his credit. The combined ages of the four sisters and brother is exactly 400 years, and they are all now enjoying excellent health and have all the chances to add several more years to their lives. Their father died at the advanced age of 94.

From Geneva Daily Times 23 August 1905

John M. Sprague,
of No. 112 Washington street, was arrested in Rochester last night by Detective Scanlan, of that place, on a warrant issued by Judge Wyckoff, in Police court, charging him with being a disorderly person. The complainant was his wife, Lottie M. Sprague, of this city. Sprague was brought here last night by Policeman Hawkins and was left at the station in the custody of Acting Captain Kuney pending the arrival  of Judge Wyckoff. Sprague was inclined to be "fresh" and curtly informed Kuney that "if the cadi didn't put in an appearance shortly that he wouldn't wait." Kuney replied that he thought he would, gently hinting that the alleged wife-abandoner was under arrest, even if he didn't think he was. When Judge Wyckoff arrived the man pleaded not guilty to the charge of abandoning his wife. He asked permission to see her and the judge gave him one hour in which to have some of his friends bring the wife into court. Upon hearing this Sprague told Judge Wyckoff that he better be careful how he used him and the judge taught the man a lesson by ordering him locked up. This morning Sprague wanted to become reconciled to his wife and a compromise was effected. The man paid $6.90 costs and he promised to take Mrs. Sprague to Rochester with him. In the Flower City Sprague is employed as foreman of the carpenters at work on a tank the Rochester Railway company is having built on the river flats. A dispatch from Rochester says that last night when Sprague was arrested there he made the remark "that he would go to prison before he would support his wife's lazy daughter." From this remark it is inferred that Mr. Sprague married a widow with a daughter and that he and the step-daughter didn't get along very well.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 23 August 1905

Reed's Corners, N. Y. - 
The annual Pierce family picnic was held at the home of Mr. and Mrs. T. B. Pierce of this place on Saturday last. Seven brothers of Mr. Pierce were present with their wives and children and grandchildren. There were over sixty present and a general good time was enjoyed. the following members were present: Mr. and Mrs. Frank Pierce, Grace, Leverne, Dora, Howard, Clifford Pierce of East Bloomfield; Mr. and Mrs. James Pierce, Bristol; Mr. and Mrs. Roy Hurlburt and Olive Hurlburt of Gorham; Mr. and Mrs. Henry Pierce, Mr. and Mrs. Adrian C. Brando, Lois, Mildred, Pauline, Marjorie and Jessie Brando of Academy; Mr. and Mrs. Francis M. Pierce, Mark and Henry Pierce of Bristol Center; Mr. and Mrs. R. M. Pierce, Jessie, Mable, Leon, Rollin Pierce, Mr. and Mrs. George Pierce, Howard, Irene, Clarence, Ruth, Marion, Esther, Lois Pierce; Mr. and Mrs. Leighton Pierce, John, Gilbert Pierce, Ray FitzMorris, Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Pierce, Anna, Nellie, Fred, Frank, Charles, Nathan, Glenn Pierce, Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Pierce, Lulu and Mr. and Mrs. Roy Pierce, all of Canandaigua.

An awful condition of affairs existed last week in the family of Homer Cotton, in the town of Farmington, east of this village. The father of the family has been ill and unable to work. The home is small and unhealthfully situated in a swamp. Last week the dreaded disease of scarlet fever broke out in the home and the baby died. The father and four children were all suffering with the disease at the same time. They were destitute and the poor mother, who was weakened from the loss of food and overwork, was unable to properly care for the sick ones. The town authorities were informed of the terrible condition of the family and immediately took action to relieve the suffering. The dead child was buried and the entire family taken to the Memorial hospital at Canandaigua to be cared for.

Honeoye, N. Y. -  Last Thursday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock about 40 relatives, neighbors and old friends gathered at the home of Charles E. Reed to help celebrate his 66th birthday. With a few exceptions the guests were over 60 years of age. David A. Pierpont was the oldest guest, his age being about 90 years. The guests from out-of-town were Horace Gilbert and Mrs. Philip Reed, both of Lima; and Mrs. Sherman Westshaver of Wheeling, W. Geneva. Mrs. Reed received many beautiful flowers, one box of flowers given by Mrs. Clinton S. Ashley, was found to contain an original poem.

From Geneva Daily Times 30 August 1905

Phelps, N. Y.
- Edward Smith, a farmer living three miles north west of Phelps, fell from the roof of his residence where he was at work yesterday and fractured four ribs, one of them being broken in two places. He fell a distance of sixteen feet. Dr. L. P. Conley, of Clifton Springs, was summoned from Canandaigua where he was attending an operation.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 30 August 1905

Mrs. George Chamberlain,
who resides near Cheshire, attempted suicide last Friday evening by taking a dose of Paris green. Dr. O. J. Hallenbeck was hurriedly summoned by telephone and together with Dr. John Hutchens of Cheshire, succeeded in administering treatment which it is thought will be successful as the young woman who is only twenty-three years of age is still alive and at last reports was progressing favorably. Grief over the death of her husband who succumbed to heart disease the Monday previous while chasing a runaway horse is given as the reason for the attempted suicide.

From Geneva Daily Times 31 August 1905

Roy Noble,
a driver in employ of H. L. McDuffie, of this city, was severely shocked by the electric storm yesterday morning. When the storm broke he was driving a team of horses attached to an empty wagon on a cross road between the Carter road and Exchange street, about three miles from the city. The storm had only been in progress a few minutes when the lightning stuck a telephone pole within  a rodof Noble and his team. Noble was thrown head first out of the wagon and both of the horses were stunned, one of them falling to the ground. It was some minutes before the downpour of rain revived Noble. Upon opening his eyes he saw that one of the horses was down. At first he thought it was dead, but on shaking its head he saw that it was alive. After considerable work he was finally able to get the horse on its feet. After getting his wagon and harness to rights, Noble took notice of the pole which was shattered. It was less than fifteen feet from the wagon and horses.

From Victor Herald 1 September 1905

On Saturday, August 26th, the third annual reunion of the Appleton family was held at the pleasant country homestead of Richard Appleton at Centerfield. The day was an ideal one for the occasion. There were eighty-five members of the family present, of whom Mrs. Abram Clapper, aged 70 years, of Farmington, was the oldest, and Frances Dorothy, the 7 months old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Earl Appleton, was the youngest. The guests assembled early in the day and the various committees were kept busy until the noon hour when a bounteous dinner was served. After this a business meeting was held, at which the following officers and committees for the ensuing year were chosen: President, Richard Appleton; vice-president, William Appleton; secretary and treasurer, Mrs. John M. Jopson; chairman of committee on refreshments, Mrs. A. L. Clapper; chairman of literary committee, Mrs. William Tooley; chairman of committee on location, John M. Jopson; chairman of committee on sports, Fred R. Clapper.

In the afternoon, a varied program of sports was carried out, the following persons carrying off first honors: shooting contest, Carl Appleton; peanut race for children, Raymond Appleton; potato race, Earl Appleton; nail-driving contest for ladies, Mrs. John Jopson; clothes-pin race for children (boys against the girls) won by the girls; clothes-pin race for adults, won by the men; 100-yard dash, Emmett Finagan; putting the shot, Dr. William B. Clapper. Nines were chosen for a ball game, the side captained by Clarence Tooley winning by a score of 9 to 6.

From Geneva Daily Times 7 September 1905

Canandaigua, N. Y. -
Yesterday morning George J. McNeill, an employe of the Lisk Manufacturing Company, met with a horrible accident while at work. Sulphuric acid, blown with great pressure through a broken faucet, struck him in the face, breast and right arm. A physician gave temporary relief and McNeill was later removed to his home. It is believed that his eyes are uninjured.

From Geneva Daily Times 12 September 1905

An exciting runaway occurred in Seneca street shortly before 2 o'clock this afternoon. A team of horses owned by Sidney A. Ritter broke away and ran up Seneca street throwing Mr. Ritter and Harvey Case, who was riding with him. Both men escaped injury. Mr. Case had just accepted an invitation from Mr. Ritter to take a ride and got into the wagon at the lower end of Seneca street. When the team was in front of Fitzwater's shoe store, one of the horses became frightened and kicked over the tongue. With this the horses started to run and both men jumped. Mr. Case was thrown to the pavement but escaped with a few bruises. Ritter landed on his feet. The tongue of the wagon broke, which freed the horses from the wagon. They ran nearly up the hill where they stopped and fell as they turned onto Main street. They were caught shortly after they fell.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 13 September 1905

Ptomaine poisoning caused, it is thought, by eating cottage cheese which was served at their Sunday dinner, came near causing the death of Mrs. Charles Brocklebank, Main street north, and her two children, Dorothea, 12-years old, and Eliot, 9-years old. Dorothea was taken very sick about five o'clock and shortly afterward Mrs. Brocklebank and Eliot were seized with same symptoms. Mr. Brocklebank, who had not eaten of the cheese, hurriedly summoned Dr. Warner. On arriving at the house, the doctor realized the danger of the case and immediately telephoned for Dr. Armstrong and a nurse. The doctors and the nurse worked steadily until midnight to save the lives of the victims. At one time the pulse of the girl became so weak that injections of nitroglycerine were administered. The sufferers who are reported to be on the road to recovery will be confined to their beds for some time by the severity of the attack.

From Geneva Daily Times 18 September 1905

William Arnold
and his daughter, Cora, of No. 313 Lake street, were arrested this morning by Chief Kane charged with third degree assault, the complainant being Mary Hobson of No. 233 Lake street who alleges that the Arnolds viciously assaulted her Saturday night. The Arnolds were given an immediate arraignment. They pleaded not guilty and demanded a jury trial. Judge Wyckoff set the trial for next Monday morning at 9:30. The Arnolds are said by residents of Lake street to be "holy terrors" and inhabitants of the lake front in general are afraid of them. They do not deny attacking the Hobson woman but claim they did so in self defense. Mrs. Hobson came to the police station Saturday night with blood streaming from wounds in her head. A physician had to dress her injuries.

From Geneva Daily Times 20 September 1905

George W. Proctor,
of No. 43 Tillman street, who wandered away from home, was found yesterday afternoon about 5 o'clock near the "Glass Factory" bay, along the tracks of the New York Central by some track hands. He was in a dilapidated state and showed evidence of having put in a bad night. He was conveyed to his home.

From Geneva Daily Times 27 September 1905

Henry Loomis,
one of Geneva's oldest residents, left last evening on the 8:57 o'clock New York Central train for Hartford, Conn., to attend a reunion of the Loomis Family Association of America, which is held today in that city. The family is descended from Joseph Loomis of Braintree, England, who came to America in the ship Susan and Ellen in 1638 and settled near Windsor, Conn. Henry Loomis is now the only survivor of the old Loomis stock in this part of the state. His father, Jerome Loomis, was born in Lebanon, Conn., 1756, and came to this state, June 1, 1788. Among the prominent living members of the Loomis family are the former Governors McLean and Bulkeley of Connecticut, former Assistant Secretary of State, Francis B. Loomis, Prof. Elisha S. Loomis of Berea, O., Prof. Eben J. Loomis of Amherst and Frederick Law Loomis, the well-known landscape architect.

From Geneva Daily Times 30 September 1905

Stephen W. Hopkins,
of No. 43 Genesee street, gave a reception yesterday afternoon from 4 to 6 o'clock in honor of his eighty-fifth birthday. Nearly 150 of his friends from all parts of the city called and congratulated him. As the guests came in they were received by Mr. Hopkins assisted by G. Chase. Other ladies who assisted by serving were Mrs. S. K. Nester, Mrs. Albert H. Herendeen, Mrs. William L. Herendeen, Mrs. Grove R. Watson, Mrs. Charles S. Burrall, Mrs. O. G. Chase, Mrs. W. W. Hopkins, Mrs. William Wilson and Miss Florence Hubbard. Mr. Hopkins was formerly a business man in Boston and upon his retirement from business in 1871 came to this city. Since his residence here he has been active in the North Presbyterian church and also deeply interested in the affairs of the Geneva City Hospital.

From Geneva Daily Times 2 October 1905

In a desperate hand to hand conflict at the Argerine  streetcrossing of the Rochester & Eastern in the town of Hopewell late Saturday night James McDonald of Canandaigua, formerly a driver for the United States Express company here, received several dangerous knife wounds in his left leg and face. His assailant was Herman Littow, a farm hand. McDonald is expected to recover although he is very weak today from loss of blood. Littow was captured on the farm of James Buchan in the town of Hopewell last night by Sheriff Flynn and Deputy Jay Mahoney. He was arraigned before the town justice and was held for the grand jury. Sheriff Flynn is today engaged in securing witnesses so that Littow's case can be considered by the jury now in session at Canandaigua. According of the report at the sheriff's office, the man were intoxicated and the fight that resulted in the stabbing was occasioned by some of the drunken utterances of the participants. McDonald is quite well known here. For a time, previous to 1900, he was an employe of the Willard State Hospital. His people live in Ovid.

From Geneva Daily Times 6 October 1905

Clifton Springs, N. Y. -
About sixty relatives and friends gathered at the home of R. H. Jones on Wednesday evening to celebrate his eightieth birthday. Mr. Jones, who is one of the oldest residents of this vicinity, was born on the farm he now owns, which is situated about two and one-half miles southwest of this village. His grandfather, Richard Jones, came to this part of the country from Montgomery County, Md., about September 15, 1805, bringing with him his wife, three sons, Amos, Henry and Thomas and two daughters, Polly and Nancy. He also brought twenty-seven negroes with him as his slaves. On arriving here the family located on what is known as the Tillott farm, east of this village, remaining there until December 9, 1805 when Elihu Root deeded to him the farm which his grandson now owns, he paying for the same eleven dollars per acre. This farm, as it was nearly upon the street and was paid for in silver, hence the name of Silver street.

Noticeable among the guests were a brother, George D. Jones, eighty-seven years old; a sister, Mrs. Mary Hanna, aged seventy-six; and three cousins, Mrs. Elizabeth Cost, aged eighty-nine;  WAndrew. Jones, aged eighty-two; and Mrs. Susan Whitney, aged eighty.

From Victor Herald 13 October 1905

West Bloomfield, N. Y. -
The young people of the town met at the home of Milton E. Lamb, Saturday evening, to organize a society and they voted to name it the "Happy Hustlers." The officers are: President, Milton E. Lamb; vice-president, Mabel Conn; secretary, Grace A. Lamb; treasurer, Fred Rigney; by-law committee, Harriet Hewitt, Fred Rigney; entertainment committee, Harriet Hewitt, Leila Elton, Vera Case, Ruby Conn, Agnes Rigney, Myril Chatt; musical committee, Marian Griffin, Myrta Coleman, Rachel Dixon, Imogene Webb; initiation committee, Flossy Warren, Sybil Conn, Ruth Warren, John Rigney, James Courneen, Edward Chatt.

From Geneva Daily Times 24 October 1905

Rushville, N. Y. -
When Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Paddock returned Sunday evening from a visit with friends at Prattsburg, they found a surprise that was anything but pleasant, awaiting them. That morning their only child, James, a lad of about sixteen years, while handling a gun and illustrating to a boy companion how it could be loaded, placed a shell in position and accidentally pressed the trigger. The charge passed through his right foot and also through the kitchen floor. The hired man immediately brought him to Dr. Halstead's office, who found the second toe so badly mutilated that he removed it, while the third and great toes were considerably injured. The boy is now confined to his bed.

Manchester, N. Y. - Isaac P. Reed, of this village, a veteran of the Civil war, has in his possession a war relic which he has carried for over forty years. It is an old-fashioned brown leather pocketbook, which, before coming into his possession, was the property of a Union soldier who was either killed on the field or died in Emory Hospital at Washington, D. C., but Mr. Reed has never been able to locate his relatives. On one of the inside pockets of the book, written in ink, is the name of George Freeman, Company M. C. O V. Cavalry. Mr. Reed was a member of the 24th New York Cavalry and on June 17, 1864, at the battle of Petersburg, was wounded eight times and nearly dead when he received medical aid. After some time in the south, he was transferred to the Emory Hospital at Washington.

Mr. Reed came into possession of this pocketbook at this hospital, where it was the custom to sell the belongings of dead soldiers at public auction once each month, the sale taking place in the chapel, and on March 11, 1865, Mr. Reed was able to attend one of these auctions and purchased for a quarter of a dollar a pair of trousers which was found to contain this pocketbook and an old-fashioned 25-cent shinplaster.

From Geneva Daily Times 1 November 1905

Manchester, N. Y. - Antonio Rotundio,
an Italian residing in this village, who conducts a small store with a saloon attached, where temperance drinks only are supposed to be sold, was arrested Monday evening by Sheriff Flynn, of Canandaigua, on the charge of selling liquor without a license. He was arraigned before Justice Dorman H. Coates, before whom he pleaded not guilty and asked for an examination. The case was adjourned until Wednesday, November 8. Rotundio being released upon bail. District Attorney Robert F. Thompson appeared for the people. This arrest is a part of the crusade against the selling of intoxicating drinks that is now being waged in this town.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 8 November 1905

On Wednesday, Nov. 1st, Mrs. Henry Nelson, a resident of West Gibson street, who was made blind in August, 1904, by being poisoned by carpet rags, which she was handling, underwent an operation at the Homeopathic Hospital in Buffalo, under the knife of Dr. F. Park Lewis. From the latest reports the operation was very successful. The heartiest wishes are expressed for the recovery of Mrs. Nelson's eyesight.

Allen's Hill, N. Y. -  While driving home from Honeoye Falls Monday last, George Murphy had quite an experience. The king bolt dropped out of the evener, which frightened the horses and caused them to run away. Mr. Murphy was quite seriously hurt, one leg was badly bruised, besides he received two or three scalp wounds, some of which required several stitches. But we are glad to state that the patient is rapidly improving.

From Geneva Daily Times 13 November 1905

Shortsville, N. Y. - Gerelle Ridley,
a well-known resident of this village, while assisting in the wood room of the Empire Drill Works, ran his left hand against a plane which cut away a large portion of the fleshy part of the hand, inflicting a very severe injury. Mr. Ridley was working in that room only for the day, and today was to have been transferred to work with which he is familiar.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 15 November 1905

Shortsville, N. Y. -  Otis Walters,
a teamster of this village, had a narrow escape from serious injury and perhaps death, on Wednesday afternoon. He was carrying a large roll of wire fencing from the freight house to its destination, when the wagon struck a hollow on Main street, the wire rolled off, the horses became frightened and started up, and Walters was thrown over the front of the wagon, between the whiffletree and the wagon box, in such a way that he was held there. The horses ran as far as the post office, when one of them fell, and bystanders held the other one until Walters was extricated. He was considerably shaken up, but otherwise uninjured. Onlookers expected that he would surely be killed and his escape seems almost miraculous.

Victor, N. Y. -  Mrs. James Sullivan, who resides in Cherry street, was thrown from her carriage on Tuesday afternoon of last week near the N. Y. C. tracks on Maple avenue by the starting of her horse, which was frightened at an approaching train, She suffered the fracture of her collar bone and three ribs. She was taken to the Memorial hospital at Canandaigua.

From Geneva Daily Times 29 November 1905

Fred Raymond,
Phelps blacksmith, is confined to the house with severe injuries inflicted while attempting to drive an unruly horse. The horse is one that he recently purchased from E. P. Ryan and is known as "Dolly the Grey Mare" and "will not stand without hitching." While Mr. Raymond, assisted by a couple of young men, were putting the harness on the animal a few days ago, they were given a lively tussle. While one of the young men, Thomas Bissell, was holding it by the bridle, it raised its head full length in the air and came down full force on the top of his head inflicting three or four ugly scalp wounds. After the horse had been harnessed, Mr. Raymond attempted to get into the carriage, but caught his leg on the step which frightened the horse. As it started to run away, Mr. Raymond fell to the ground, both wheels passing over his body. The horse ran but a short distance. Mr. Raymond was considerably shaken up but no bones were broken.

From Victor Herald 8 December 1905

The annual family reunion of the descendants of Cyrus F. Rugg was held Thanksgiving Day, November 30th, at the old homestead, now the resident of Mr. and Mrs. M. L. Rugg. The following were present: Mr. and Mrs. H. C. Rugg and daughter, Maude; George Rugg, Clarence Rugg and William Rugg, all of Rochester; Mr. and Mrs. Wilson Ransom and daughter, Gladys; Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Brokenshire and daughter, Marjorie; Mr. and Mrs. Norman Ransom, all of Despatch.

From Ontario Repository & Messenger 14 December 1905

The Wilson triplets have been named: Alice Roosevelt, Marian Howard, and Ethel Gillespie Wilson. Mother and children are prospering physically, but the family's financial situation is deplorable. There are three other young children, a married 16-year-old daughter with early maternal prospects, whose husband is out of work and also living with the Wilsons, and the only income is Mr. Wilson's common laborer wages.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 20 December 1905

The local bartenders union has elected the following officers: President, Daniel Higgins; vice-president, Gurney Engert; secretary and treasurer, William Raymond; recording secretary, Louis Hilborn; chaplain, Henry Griffin; inspector, C. McCarthy; inside guard, William Sweeney.

Saturday night while Frank Benham, Charles Townsend and Charles Johnson were fishing in the lake, their boat was overturned and a desperate struggle for life was experienced. Their cries for help were heard by Elmer Doolittle and Ray Nicholson who were fishing nearby and went to the scene just in time to save the men and with great difficulty reached the shore. The unconscious men were taken to the nearest farm house and after hours of hard work were finally brought out of danger.

Holcomb, N. Y. - On Monday afternoon at a meeting of the Women's Relief Corps the following officers were elected: President, Mrs. C. E. Taylor; senior vice president, Mrs. S. Mayo; junior vice president, Mrs. Charles Page; chaplain, Mrs. Urania Parsons; treasurer, Mrs. George Burrell; conductor, Miss Nellie Emmons; guard, Mrs. Frank Barks.

Return to Ontario County Homepage

Copyright 2005-16, Ontario County NYGenWeb and each contributor and author of materials herein. All rights reserved.