From Geneva Advertiser Gazette 3 January 1905

Geneva Chapter No. 83, Order Eastern Star, held the annual meeting and election of officers last Tuesday night with the result:

Worthy Matron - Mrs. Emma Belding
Worthy Patron - Conrad Wehnes
Ass't Matron - Mrs. Fannie Andrus
Treasurer - Mrs. Anna Cook
Sec'y - Miss Jennie Laws
Chaplain - Mrs. Carrie Licht
Marshal - Mrs. Lunette VanTassel
Cond's - Mrs. Mary Case
Asso. Con. - Mrs. C. Edgerton
Warder - Mrs. Greene
Sentinel - J. L. Turner
Ada - Mrs. Della Stahl
Ruth - Mrs. Harriet Warder
Esther - Mrs. VanArsdale
Martha - Mrs. Buchholz
Electa - Mrs. F. C. Hofman
Trustees - Mrs. Snyder, Goodwin,
Lewis L. Rosa

From Ontario County Chronicle 4 January 1905

Shortsville, N. Y. - Mr. and Mrs. B. F. Knapp
entertained the following company at their home south of this village on New Years: Mr. and Mrs. Frank Heath, Miss Pauline Heath, Mr. and Mrs. Lampson, Mrs. Harriett L. Knapp, Miss Mae Knapp, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Henry and daughter, Harriett of Geneva; Mrs. Carrie Adams of Buffalo; Judge and Mrs. Walter Knapp and sons, Chandler, Robert, Frank and Edson, of Canandaigua.

Shortsville, N. Y. - The newly elected officers of Shortsville Camp, Modern Woodmen, are:

Venerable consul - Charles Broomfield
Worthy advisor - A. A. Warrillow
Clerk - Fletcher A. Kipp
Banker - William Klinck
Escort - Sylvester McCarthy
Watchman - Charles Doley
Physician - Dr. Daniel A. Eiseline
Managers - Fred L. Mink, Edward
and Gerelle Ridley

From Geneva Daily Times 5 January 1905

Canandaigua, N. Y. -
It was a  gruesome spectacle which the last rays of the afternoon sun revealed in Calvary cemetery yesterday afternoon. Guisippi Sonicropi, the first victim of the Italian shooting affray, buried on December 24, was disinterred and in the zero air, Chester W. Stoddard, the witness, whose testimony changed the entire aspect of the case, sought to identify the dead man as the one who fired the first shot and started the affair in which he and another were killed and two more wounded. The Coroner has not yet given out his verdict.

From Geneva Daily Times 5 January 1905

Rushville, N. Y. - George Walther,
who has been sexton of the Rushville cemetery since 1868, has recorded the following burials in the cemetery for 1904:
Alfred Richardson, aged 67 years; Asa Pearce, 93; Amenzo Hoard, 67; Martha Allen, 79; David Uhl, 75; Maria Loomis, 89; Melissa Hunt, 60; Milford Wilson, 61; Amanda D. Tyler, 57; A. T. Halbert, 84; Julia Pratt, 79; Samuel Allen, 79; Virgil Barber, 68; Mary Harkness, 72; Christina Beers, 77; Charles Olmstead, 84; Murray C. Fitch, 24.

From Geneva Daily Times 6 January 1905

Canandaigua, N. Y. - William Ackley,
of this village, is suffering from the effects of a fall which he had yesterday, while at work in the lumber yard of Alex. Davidson. Ackley slipped and fell off a freight car, striking on the track with great violence. His injuries consist of several broken ribs and numerous bruises. Dr. F. E. McClellan attended him and his is now resting comfortably.

From Victor Herald 6 January 1905

A most delightful occasion was the New Years family reunion held at the home of Mr. and Mrs. C. A. Rugg on East Main street, this village, on Monday of this week. Annually these good people gather at the home of some member of the Rugg family for a merry time, finding always new sources of enjoyment in each other's company. Those present this year were Mr. and Mrs. Melvin Rugg and family and Elmer Rugg of Victor; Mr. and Mrs. C. H. Rugg and daughter, Miss Maud, of Rochester, the latter being now a student at a young ladies' school near Washington; Mr. and Mrs. W. R. Ransom, their daughter, Gladys, and sons, Warren and Norman, and Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Brokenshire and daughter, Marjory, all of Despatch; William, Clarence and George Rugg of Rochester; and last but by no means least, Mrs. Gertrude (Aunt Gitty) Thomas, beloved by all, who at her next birthday will be ninety-three years young, and who was merriest of all the goodly company, the leader in all the fun of the day. Here was indeed an auspicious inauguration of a Happy New Year.

From Geneva Daily Times 7 January 1905

Phelps, N. Y. -
While chopping wood yesterday Irving Baird, a farmer residing north of Phelps, was struck in the eye with a chip which caused a very painful injury. At present the physicians are unable to state whether or not the sight is destroyed.

From Ontario County Chronicle 11 January 1905

Allen's Hill, N. Y. -
The installation of officers of Camp No. 9058, Modern Woodmen of America, was held Saturday evening in Allen's hall. The following were installed:

Venerable consul - G. E. Patterson
Worthy advisor - O. C. Reed
Excellent banker - J. B. Sleight
Efficient clerk - M. H. Bell
Escort - George Beach
Watchman - H. L. Bennett
Sentry - Edward Stein
Camp physician - Dr. E. B. Sayre
Manager - O. C. Reed

Honeoye, N. Y. - Eagle Lodge, No. 169, has elected the following officers for ensuing year:

Master - Truman S. Stevens
Sr. Warden - John B. Harris
Treasurer - Edwin Gilbert
Secretary - Dr. H. J. Able
Sr. deacon - George B. Franklin
Jr. deacon - Samuel F. Drain
Master of ceremonies - Harry J. Thomas
Tiler - Frank VanBuren
Trustee for 3 years - George B. Franklin

From Geneva Daily Times 14 January 1905

Phelps, N. Y. -
One of the large bloodhounds belonging to the Uncle Tom's Cabin Company, that played at Geneva Thursday evening, escaped from the baggage car as the train passed through here yesterday morning. In jumping from the train the dog struck on the icy platform and broke its right hind leg. The company was notified of the accident but evidently cared but little for their property as they wired back instruction to dispose of the dog to any one that would accept it. Mr. Babcock of the Phelps Pickling works took the dog and succeeded in reducing the fracture and placing the leg in splinters. The dog is believed to be a genuine Cuban bloodhound.

From Geneva Daily Times 17 January 1905

One of the most exciting runaways seen in this city in some time occurred on Seneca street last evening. The participants were the sorrel horse of the Seneca laundry, one of the proprietors of the laundry, Walter Worden, and Thomas Welsh, head clerk of the W. and T. Smith Nursery company. That the runaway was stopped without serious injury may be considered either a matter of fate or luck. Worden, who has only one arm, was on his way down to the laundry a little after seven o'clock last evening. Mr. Welsh was on his way to the post office with a quantity of mail and he caught the passing sleigh a short distance above Seneca street. Just as Worden turned into this street a number of coasters on a bob sleigh shot past the horse and as they did so the occupants let out a yell that sent the horse forward with a bound. Both Welsh and Worden yelled "whoa" at the same time but the louder they yelled the faster the horse went. A couple of jumps on the top of the hill and part of the harness broke striking the animal. This, with the yelling, further frightened him and down the street he came. By this time the street was well filled with those who had been attracted by the noise. Worden wrapped one of the lines around himself and was pulling back with the other, the speed of the animal, however, so Welsh dropped the bundle of mail which he had been carrying in the bottom of the sleigh and grabbed the lines also. As the rig passed the Carrollton, Welsh's hat blew off and the horse swerved toward the sidewalk. Those watching expected any minute to see the occupants of the rig thrown out but they managed to keep clear of the street car tracks and finally just before turning the Bank corner, the combined strength of the men proved too much for the horse and he was brought to a standstill. The runaway happened just at a time when the street was free from rigs and the noise warned others so that they kept to the sidewalks, otherwise someone would have undoubtably been seriously injured.

From Geneva Daily Times 21 January 1905

Manchester, N. Y. -
Ruling of the Fraternal Mystic Circle held an interesting meeting at Red Men's hall Thursday evening, when two new members were initiated and other important business transacted. This lodge includes both men and women in its membership. The following officers for 1905 have been elected:

Worthy ruler - Charles E. Hann
Past worthy ruler - William A. Delahunty
Vice ruler - B. J. Blakney
Worthy collector - O. C. Packard
Worthy recorder - P. G. Thomas
Worthy chaplain - J. M. Derr
Worthy marshal - William Duncan
Worthy warden - Henry O. Baker
Worthy guard - Floyd Manley
Worthy sentry - William Willson
Worthy medical examiner - Dr. Daniel A. Eiseline
Worthy trustee - William B. Conklin
Worthy directors - A. Robinson and Dr. D. A. Eiseline

From Canandaigua Chronicle25 January 1905

Chapinville, N. Y. -
While sliding on the ice last Wednesday with other children, Harold Benham fell in the water and was unable to extricate himself, but by the heroic efforts and wonderful presence of mind of Mildred Pratt was quickly drawn out and not serious results attended his drenching.

From Geneva Daily Times 26 January 1905

Geneva numbers among its business men at least four native born Russians, G. C. Wilkens, the Castle street butcher; Moses Small, the Exchange street jeweler; Meyer Jacobs, the clothier and Jacob Glick. The last three were born in Poland and came to this country in their boyhood. Their recollections of the conditions in Poland are more or less distinct and they all agree that it was not the most desirable country in the world to live in. In discussing the present situation in Russia, both Mr. Small and Mr. Jacobs express the opinion that the strikers are on the losing side for a long time to come, and that the government and the soldiers will succeed in suppressing the outbreak. Mr. Wilkens was born in the western part of Russia, near Poland, sixty-two years ago. Soon after his birth his parents moved to Warsaw in Poland, where his father was employed as a paper maker in a mill that manufactured paper for government money. Mr. Wilkens learned the butcher's trade and came to New York when he was twenty-six years old. His wife and children followed two years later, when he located in Geneva, where he has lived ever since. Mr. Wilkens says the conditions among the middle classes in Russia are not so bad as we think. In the country it is the poor serfs who are ignorant and can't read or write. But in the cities are the tradespeople and mechanics who have the advantages of good schools and colleges, and they can do well in business if they are saving and careful just as well as anywhere else. The middle class people speak three or four different languages. They are just as capable of governing themselves as the French were. Mr. Wilkens remembers well the war of 1861 to 1864, which followed the ukase of Czar Alexander II, in 1859, giving freedom and a constitutional government to the serfs. "The landlords and city folks rebelled against it." said Mr. Wilkens. "It was something awful."

"Which side won?," was asked.

"Alexander, of course. He had to because he was right. But he died. They blowed him up in St. Petersburg with a bomb. Then his son, Alexander the Second, repeated the ukase."

Speaking of the present uprising in his country, he said: "The people ought to have got the guns and the powder first before they went to the Czar. Those soldiers and officers, they just as soon shoot anybody as not. They're half drunk all the time. Those strikers may win out, but the chances are this will all die down again. They can't do anything."

From Geneva Daily Times 27 January 1905

Flint, N. Y. - Frank Wheat
of this village, had a miraculous escape from being frozen to death Tuesday evening. He was visiting at the home of Isaac Clark, a mile west of here, and upon leaving, became confused in the darkness and driving snow, and instead of keeping in the road as he intended, he turned into a lane that led to the back of the Clarke farm. From there he tried to retrace his steps to the road, having discovered his mistake, but wandered into a field and becoming exhausted, sank to the ground in a big drift. Some time later a passerby heard cries and after securing several men with lanterns, Mr. Wheat was finally located. He was in a pitiable condition, but will recover.

From Geneva Daily Times 1 February 1905

John H. Broshard,
of 485 Exchange street, who yesterday had his left arm terribly injured by getting it caught in a barley conveyor at the Nester malt house, was this morning removed from his home to the City Hospital. The attending physicians now entertain hope that the arm can be saved. The injured man is now resting as comfortably as can be expected.

From Geneva Daily Times 2 February 1905

Phelps, N. Y. - Adelbert Addison,
who is employed at the Crown Drill works, was painfully injured while working near a buzz saw yesterday morning. He and another employe were sawing a plank and as the saw cut through, one part of the plank flew back and struck Addison on the hip. He was taken to his home, where he is now resting comfortably.

Canandaigua, N. Y. - Antonio Lemma,
who keeps a fruit and  confectionery store, reported to the police this morning, that his establishment had been burglarized during last night and that old coins valued at $3500 had been stolen. A New York Numismatist offered Lemma the sum named for the collection only a few days ago.

From Geneva Daily Times 4 February 1905

In police court this morning, T. VanChase, twenty-three years old, was sentenced to ten days or $3 fine for intoxication. He was arrested at the theater last night by Officer Hawkins, after he had been refused admission, it is said. His wife was in court this morning and said she wanted to get possession of about $20 that her husband had, as she was afraid he would lose it. Judge Wyckoff asked Chase if he wanted his wife to have the money and he readily consented. The Chases live on East North street.

From Geneva Daily Times 6 February 1905

Commissary Sergeant Robert C. Rippey of the Second battalion, N. G. N. Y., who was shot in the left leg by the accidental discharge of a revolver at the rifle pit in the armory on Main street about six weeks ago, was down town at his office in the armory this morning. Sergeant Rippey is able to walk about on crutches. The injury will not permanently lame him and it is expected that he will be able to walk without aid in a few weeks. Sergeant Rippey was more than pleased to be at the armory again and remained there from 9 o'clock this morning until 4:30 this afternoon.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 8 February 1905

Shortsville, N. Y. -
The New York Central and Hudson River R. R. has sent a check for $10,250 to Frank S. Lapham, as guardian of the four minor children, May, Lillian, Eva and Roy Broomfield, in settlement of negligence claim for the death of their parents, Mr. and Mrs. Frederick Broomfield, of Manchester Center, who were killed by a passenger train on one of the Central's crossings in Clifton Springs last February. The case was never brought into the courts as both parties made an effort to settle without litigation, and the result is satisfactory to all concerned.

From Geneva Daily Times 13 February 1905

Timothy Nilan,
of No. 7 Middle street, a lamp trimmer employed by the Electric Light company, is confined to his home with injuries sustained in a runaway accident in the alleyway south of the Dorchester & Rose building on Exchange street Saturday. Nilan was driving through the alley in a light cutter when the horse became frightened at some chickens that flew across the road and jumped quickly, tipping the cutter over. Nilan was thrown heavily and his wrists and left leg were injured. The leg is badly swollen and the attending physician does not know the extent of the injury as yet. Mr. Nilan will be laid up for about two weeks, so it is said. This is the second time within two years that Nilan has been the victim of a serious accident. He is a member of the Steamer company and while engaged in fighting a fire on Bradford street early in 1903, he fell from the roof of a burning house and was badly injured. His left leg was broken and twisted causing him to be lamed permanently. Mr. Nilan was unable to move for a number of months, most of which time he was at the City Hospital.

From Ontario County Journal 17 February 1905

West Bloomfield, N. Y. -  Mrs. Joel S. Chamberlain
met with a painful accident on Wednesday morning about 8:30 o'clock. She was fumigating the house, in which there had been sickness, when the material used set fire to furnishings. In attempting to put out the fire, Mrs. Chamberlain was frightfully burned about the head and hands. Damage
to the amount of $35 was done to the property.

From Geneva Daily Times 21 February 1905

Louis McGuigan
of Preemption road, was thrown from a horse while riding up Castle street this morning and escaped injury only from the fact that he landed in a large snow bank by the side of the road. McGuigan came down town this morning and purchased a horse from James Smith. He decided to ride the animal home and acquring a saddle from a friend, started out. Every thing went all right until he struck the curve in Castle street just above the Smith nursery office. As he made this turn, one of the cars of the Rochester and Eastern roads was rapidly coming down the street. The horse took fright at the car and planting his fore feet firmly on the ground refused to go ahead. His determination to stand until the car has passed was taken so suddenly that McGuigan was unprepared for it and the result was that he landed in a heap at the side of the road. His fall was broken by a pile of snow and he got up uninjured to find that the horse was still holding his position in the middle of the road apparently waiting to see what would happen next.

Rushville, N. Y. - Monroe Ferguson was seriously injured one day last week and narrowly escaped instant death. He, with several others, was drawing baled hay to the station and when near the Overackers cemetery, the horses became unmanageable and Mr. Ferguson went to their heads to quiet them. They gave a lunge forward, which drove the tongue against him with such force force as to break several ribs and otherwise injure him.

From Geneva Daily Times 22 February 1905

In a runaway accident on Seneca street at 10:30 this morning, Mrs. George A. Davis, of No. 215 William street, was severely injured about the face and right knee, a large plate glass in the front of the Foster bookstore was broken and a general excitement was created on the street as the horse galloped down the sidewalk on the north side at a terrific clip. The horse, owned by John Licht of No. 75 Hamilton street, and driven by his daughter, Miss Fannie Licht, became frightened in front of the Carrollton Hotel by the capsizing of the cutter, which had caught in the car tracks. Miss Licht was thrown out and the horse started to run. He galloped onto the walk near the Weid Drug store and struck a stand in front of Foster's book store, driving it through the window. In front of the J. W. Smith store, Mrs. Davis was knocked down and the force of the impact threw her some distance. She was carried into the dry goods store and her bruised head was dressed. She was able to go to her home after a short rest. The horse continued on the walk until Exchange street was reached and he was traveling so fast that he could not turn until he was nearly on the walk on the east side. Numerous attempts were made to stop him between Seneca and Castle street but he was not subdued until near Canal street. At the time of the runaway there were a number of people, principally women on Seneca street, and they scattered in every direction when they heard the noise of the collision in front of Foster's. The horse was uninjured save for a few scratches. The cutter was partially demolished. Miss Licht was uninjured.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 22 February 1905

Victor, N. Y. -
A small party visited at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Brizzee at Farmington last Tuesday evening, in honor of Mr. Brizzee's fiftieth birthday. Cards were the amusement and refreshments were served.

From Victor Herald 24 February 1905

West Bloomfield, N. Y. - Mrs. Joel Chamberlin
was very severely burned about the face and arms last week while fumigating her home after scarlet fever. Dr. H. S. Benham was called to dress the wounds.

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - H. M. Johnson,
of this place, has in his possession an old deed executed October 1st, 1808. It is in good state of preservations, and all the writing thereon is very legible, and can be read easily. Ashabel Beach, of Bloomfield, is the party of the first part, and Salmon Beach, grandfather of Mrs. Johnson, is the party of the second part. The deed conveys a house and lot little west of Mud creek, at a stake and stones being designated as the beginning and ending of the survey. It was recorded in the County Clerk's office December 12, 1810, and Roger Sprague was County Clerk at that time.

Mrs. Jane Sizer, whose eightieth anniversary occurred on the 17th of this month, and who has spent nearly the whole of her long life in this village, was very pleasantly remembered on that day by a loving gift from her many friends. In reply to a note which accompanied the gift, she says: "Please tell each one, with many thanks, that I greatly appreciate their kindness."

From Ontario County Journal 24 February 1905

Naples, N. Y. -  Joseph Simons,
a man of 70 years, while at work in the woods on East hill, suddenly became blind and transfixed. He could not move, but his voice was not affected and he shouted loud and strong. At last his cries were heard on the opposite hill, 150 rods away, and he was found in a serious condition and taken to his home. His condition is alarming.

From Geneva Daily Times 25 February 1905

Michael Kelleher
of No. 221 William street, a member of the firm of Kelleher & Malone, lost portions of two fingers of his left hand and was otherwise severely injured as the result of a runaway accident shortly before 6 o'clock last night. Mr. Kelleher was engaged in unhitching a team of fractious horses at the firm stables in the rear of the Carrollton hotel. He was standing in front of the animals when one of them became frightened at the dropping of a trace and plunging forward knocked Kelleher down stepping on his chest and also upon his left hand. The sharp forward cork on the horse's shoe completely severed the second finger at the first joint and almost severed the first one just above the joint. Dr. C. M. McCarthy was called and dressed the injuries. It is thought possible that the top of the first finger can be made to heal. A strange incident connected with the accident is that although five employees of the firm hunted for the severed portion of Mr. Kelleher's finger, it has not yet been found.

From Geneva Daily Times 1 March 1905

Arthur Hammond,
one of Geneva's veteran nurserymen, celebrated his eightieth birthday yesterday at his residence, No. 146 Genesee street. A small dinner party was given to a few of his friends. Those present were Mr. and Mrs. E. A. Bronson, Rev. and Mrs. W. W. Weller, Mr. and Mrs. I. L. Seeley, Mr. and Mrs. J. P. Vail, of Geneva, Mr. and Mrs. E. H. Hammond and Mrs. D. D. McColl, as sister of Phelps.

Canandaigua, N. Y. - An aged man named Nelson Faulkner, whose home is on a farm north of the village of Victor, is at the Thompson Memorial hospital, recovering from the effects of an assault, alleged to have been committed on him by his son. The old gentleman had a 32-calibre bullet removed from the muscular part of the neck, near the spine, last night, by Dr. Mulligan, of Rochester. It appears that the latter part of the week, the old man went to his home one night and an altercation arose between him and his son, over the matter of doing some chores. Words led to blows and it is alleged that the old man tried to enforce his authority with a shot gun. The true conditions existing at the time are not very well known out side of the family, but the result of the fracas was the shooting of the old man in the back, and he is now doing as well as can be expected. The authorities have not been called into the case as yet.

Rushville, N. Y. - Several persons had a narrow escape from injury by a runaway horse after church Sunday evening. Mr. Otis Whitman was taking his sister, Mrs. Reynolds, home when some one drove up behind them. It frightened his horse, which turned, threw them out and ran through George Carr's lot across E. P. Sturdevant's, down Bassett street to Main, then to Gilbert street, and was caught at Mr. Mather's by his son, William Whitman. The cutter was broken but no other damage was done.

From Geneva Daily Times 2 March 1905

Shortsville, N. Y. -
The following overseers of highways for the town of Manchester have been appointed for 1905 by commissioner of highways, Frank Huntoon:



Fred D. Cross
James DeVoll
George Cunningham
H. N. Short
Charles Potter
I. P. Inslee
James O'Connor
Ezra Grinnell
William A. Rose
W. Wilck
Joel Bishop
Israel Record
Egbert Howland
J. N. Sawyer
Bird Farnsworth
Lyman Aldrich
William Reed
Daniel Reed
Henry Howland


Charles Howland
William Sampson
George S. Snyder
William J. Lewis
M. VanDuyne
Chris Luppold
Richard Hinde
Alexander Warfield
S. W. Smith
Marion Haner
John DeBrock
Steven Yorton
F. S Short
W. W. Miner
John C. Parker
A. S. Cotton
Charles Lawrence
Willis Schutt


Clarence Bentley
I. N. Putnam
A. E. Lerue
William Deits
W. E. Richardson
John Graves
James Curran
J. Hart Latting
F. L. Mink 52
George Cornwell
Charles E. Brown
E. W. Smith
James Ingles
Peter Michelson
J. H. Johnson
J. Vanderhoof
Timothy Cosgrove
Charles Dent

From Geneva Daily Times 3 March 1905

Karl C. Schad,
a hard working German, residing on Prospect avenue, is today mourning the loss of his wife whom he claims left her home, himself and three small children yesterday morning to spend a few hours with her mother, Mrs. Augusta Ninestine, at No. 9 North street and who hasn't been seen near home since. Developments in the case since yesterday indicate that at present Mrs. Schad is in Dayton, O., or on her way there, for she had a trunk checked to that place at the New York Central passenger station yesterday morning. A woman answering the description of Mrs. Schad also purchased a ticket for that place from Ticket Agent Erskine. According to Mr. Schad, who was interviewed by a Times man this afternoon, his wife has been receiving letters from her uncle, Charles Noskoe, at Dayton for some time, and on several occasions of late she had burned the letters without letting him (Schad) see them. Mrs. Schad had often asked her husband to move to the Ohio city to reside but he claims to have refused to leave this city. The marital troubles of the Schads have been aired in Police court once. That occasion was on June 19 of last year when the woman had her husband arrested for intoxication. Since that time it is said that things have been very peaceful in the family. What puzzles Mr. Schad most is where his wife got the money to make the trip. He had not been working for some time, but had always given his wife nearly all of his earnings. Out of these the winter's coal and provisions were purchased and he does not think that she had money enough to buy a ticket for Rochester. He is of the opinion that either the uncle at Dayton sent her the money in one of the letters that she burned or else her mother gave it to her. Mr. Schad was informed this afternoon that his wife attempted to get $50 on a  chattel mortgage on the furniture at the homestead from a loan agent in the city last Friday. She said that she contemplated taking a long trip and wanted to have the money by Monday morning. The agent told her that he would let her know that morning if he could accommodate her, but as no mortgage has been filed at City Clerk O'Malley's office, it can not be ascertained whether such a paper was executed as the agent is absent from the city. At the time of making the application, Mrs. Schad told the agent that he husband had no claim whatever on the furniture; that it was hers, having been owned by her first husband, now deceased, and that Mr. Schad would not have to be consulted regarding the loan. Mr. Schad stated today that the furniture is owned by him and that it was purchased in his name from the Rochester Trading company and that there is still a payment to be made on it. Mr. Schad says that his wife's uncle at Dayton is a grass widower, that he is a veteran of the Civil war and draws a large pension for the loss of his left arm. Mrs. Schad has a grown-up daughter in the employ of Professor Nash on South Main street. The three children by Schad are one girl, twelve years old and two boys, one eight and the other three years of age.

From Ontario County Journal 3 March 1905

West Bloomfield, N. Y. -  Matthew Seymour
and Harold M. Lyman were frightfully burned about the head and arms by an explosion of natural gas at one of the gas buildings on the Seymour farm on Feb. 23. Lyman was at the building adjusting the apparatus which was out of order, having all the valves open. Mr. Seymour went in, not knowing or thinking what Mr. Lyman was doing, and lighted a match, and the explosion followed. Both men are in critical condition.

From Geneva Daily Times 8 March 1905

Joseph Boushlack
and Frank Balistreri, two prominent Americanized Italians, are making efforts to establish here a branch of the Society of Sicilians and with that end in view a meeting of all the natives of Sicily residing in this city and vicinity will be held in some hall, yet to be secured, Sunday afternoon at 3 o'clock. All of the preliminary steps necessary have been taken and Mr. Boushlack and Mr. Balistreri are working hard to get as many members as possible in the lodge. The purpose of the society is for mutual benefits that are paid in case of sickness or death. The following will be the charter members of the society:

Joseph Boushlack, Frank Balistreri, Leo Balistreri, Sebastin Fardella, Samuel Balistreri, Emannuel Amato, Sebastian Guido, Samuel Fiord, Anthony Parrinello, Samuel Sunser, Philip Lanasa, Joseph Guglielmino, Jacob Cirrincione, Francis Balistreri, Leonard Passafiume, Frances Temperato, Samuel Vaililonga and Joseph Sanzone.

All but one or two of the above mentioned are naturalized American citizens and are registered voters here.

From Geneva Daily Times 13 March 1905

Phelps, N. Y. - Frank Tiffany,
an employe of the Crown Manufacturing company, was painfully hurt Saturday. Mr. Tiffany was working in the wood room on a boring machine when his left arm got in the machine and before it could be removed, an inch augur had drilled a hole into the flesh just below the elbow; as soon as the power could be turned off Mr. Tiffany's arm was removed and he was taken home where a physician cleaned and dressed the injury. The wound is an ugly one and there is some danger of blood poisoning on account of the colored cloth in his frock being ground in the flesh.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 15 March 1905

Victor, N. Y. -
Icy pathways were the cause of several accidents in this town last week. Mrs. Fred Higinbotham fell near her home on Church street and sprained an ankle. Miss Katharine O'Neil, in descending the steps in the rear of her home on High street, fell and sustained serious injury to her spine. Mrs. Isaac Pittenger of East Victor severely bruised herself by a fall.

From Geneva Daily Times 22 March 1905

Canandaigua, N. Y. -
The disappearance of Myron Fuller, an aged man who has lived the life of a hermit on the hillside back of Whisky Point, on the east shore of Canandaigua lake, has caused much speculation among his neighbors, most of whom dwell over half a mile from his habitation, and some apprehension among his relatives, who are residents of the town of Naples. Fuller has not been seen since the last heavy fall of snow, and at that time the roads and fields were well nigh impassable for some days. When the neighbors got the roads broken and travel was resumed, it was noticed that no smoke arose from the shack occupied by the hermit, and at first this was given no significance, for it was known that Fuller often went away from home for short trips. But as days passed and nothing was seen of him, investigation was instituted, which developed the fact that he had not been at home for some time. It is feared that he may have wandered out into the mountains of snow that were piled upon the hillside, in search of fuel, or for other reasons, and got lost or overcome by exposure, and laid down in the snow and died. It is reported that an investigation will be carefully made by relatives and the authorities. In the meantime, if Fuller is alive, he can dispel the fears of his friends and relatives by giving them information as to his present whereabouts.

Frederick Coe, twenty-two years old, of Elmwood avenue, a lineman in the employ of the Bell Telephone company, fell from a cross arm on a pole on East Castle street shortly after 1 o'clock today and received severe injuries. His right hand was badly burned where he had grabbed a live wire and his left leg was broken below the knee. Whether the man was internally injured or not Dr. G. B. Young, who was called, could not say. Coe was removed to the City hospital. According to eye witnesses, Coe was working on a cross arm on a pole alongside of Woodbury's store. He had a rope attached to his waist and this was thrown over the wire and its free end was lying on the ground. Some one on the street observed sparks of electricity flying from the climbing spurs worn by the lineman and several persons tried to attract his attention by calling to him. He apparently was being rendered helpless by a shock or else he did not hear the admonitions for he never looked down. Suddenly, he was seen to sway back and forth and finally he toppled off the cross arm. Another lineman on the ground grabbed the rope and hung on until Coe's weight broke his hold. The man had, however, descended about half the intervening distance to the ground and when the rope broke he only dropped about fifteen feet. He struck on his feet on the curbing. Fellow employees and eye witnesses rushed to his assistance and Dr. Young and the ambulance were hastily summoned. How Coe came to be shocked cannot be explained by fellow employees who say that every wire about which he was working is heavily coated with insulation.

From Geneva Daily Times 23 March 1905

Shortsville, N. Y. -
Some of the young women of the High school have organized a basket ball team. It was decided to form two teams, from which seven will be picked for the first team later. The following names were enrolled: Misses Lillian Allen, Vera J. Brown, Grace M. Buck, Lottie Delahunty, Genie Heath, Hester V. Heath, M. Lois Heath, Irene Hebbard, Hazel Klinck, Mae Knapp, Dora McGurk, Florence Sickles and Clara Wilson. Miss Alice Hebbard, of Brockport Normal school, will act as coach, and Miss Hester V. Heath was chosen captain. Practice will begin at once, in Harlow's hall. Quite a sum of money has already been collected for the purchase of essentials, and the girls have met with a great deal of encouragement from the villagers.

From Geneva Daily Times 25 March 1905

Canandaigua, N. Y. -
An icy bath in Canandaigua lake was not much enjoyed by several residents of Bristol Springs a few days ago. Augustus Mehlenbacher of that place accompanied by his wife and daughter, and A. A. Farnsworth, had been to Canandaigua, and started for home over the ice. All winter there has been much travel over the lake, and it was deemed perfectly safe to Mr. Mehlenbacher and his companions, who chose the lake route largely on account of the impassable condition of the roads. When opposite to Seneca Point, at a place where the ice was somewhat upheaved, the sleigh was turned in an attempt to go to shore and pass the obstruction. Suddenly the ice broke through and team, sleigh and passengers were all precipitated into about six feet of icy water. Their cries for help were heard by Harry Lacy, who resides nearby, and he came to their assistance, and after some difficulty all were got out of the water and landed on solid ground. Fortunately neither the occupants of the sleigh nor the team suffered any serious injury, but the load of dry goods and groceries, including flour and feed was badly damaged.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 5 April 1905

The Canandaigua Mandolin and Glee Club, a musical organization of young men, elected the following officers last Saturday: President, O. S. Bacon, Jr.; Secretary and Treasurer, Louis Freer; Manager, George L. Boyce; Assistant Manager, Roy Spangle; Director, W. J. McFarlane; Assistant Director, Edson E. Robinson. This club is composed of the following young men: O. S. Bacon, Jr., Roy Spangle, Geo. L. Boyce, W. J. McFarlane, E. E. Robinson, Louis Freer, Leo E. Levy, Ira Douglass, Cecil Bushfield, Harry L. Howe, Lorenzo S. Bird, Ernest Able and J. Rutherford. This organization has rendered several pleasing selections at various entertainments here and is well worthy of the support and enthusiasm of the people. It is already booked for several out-of-town engagements.

From Geneva Daily Times 6 April 1905

Phelps, N. Y. -
The highway commissioners have appointed the following overseers of the highway for the session of 1905:

Clarence Alcott
Irving Beard
David White
D. P. McMullen
Charles Landschoot
A. C. Warner
Charles Crittenden
Henry Mitchell
Roy Filkins
Frank E. Hood
Lewis Westfall
Arthur C. Condit
Howard Dean
M. M. Hughes
Alexander McFettrage
Henry J. Peck
Patrick Doyle
Charles Burgess
Frank Overslow
Philander Mott

Thad. Denny
Henry Colter
William I. W. Scott
William H. Hunt
William Caves
Frank Hildreth
Ira P. Rockfeller
A. V. Horning
Charles Worden
Charles Chase
Henry D. Warner
Anthony DePert
George E. Avery
Bert Parrish
George T. Lake
Daniel Mulchay, Sr.
Joseph Burton
Samuel Cuddeback
Orin A. Meddaugh
Samuel D. Bill

Charles E. Peck
James Gridley
Millard O. Weeks
Theodore Crosby
Arthur Parker
Thad. Hooper
Patrick Heffron
Frank J. Esty
Edward Welch
Charles Pardee
William Falkey
Sumner J. Ferguson
John Williams
John Woodhouse
Loren E. Gifford
William Wayne
Frank G. Bridger
George Raymond
Archey W. Sabin
John W. Donnelly

Frank A. Salisbury
Clifford Wilbur
George Clarey
William J. LeRoy
J. G. Toomey
Elmer Smith
E. P. Hicks
Daniel McIntyre
Charles Sherman
John Swartz
Bert Garrett
Henry Goseline
Otis Hewitt
Silas Wilson
Spencer Taylor
Adelbert Dunn
Samuel Winburn
George Peters Jr.
Edward VanDemme
William Bell

Alden Smith
Henry J. Rice
Frank Griffith
John C. Dilman
Frank Butler
Charles H. Gardner
Thomas Smith
James Goseline
John R. Stephenson
Fred Tulett
Burton D. Westfall

From Geneva Daily Times 7 April 1905

A reunion of father and daughter after forty-five years during all of which time each believed the other dead, has recently taken place in this city. Mrs. Conrad Wehnes of Lafayette avenue, the daughter, is making a home for Dr. Lewis Wellman, her father, who is now in his seventy-seventh year. Nearly fifty years ago, when Doctor and Mrs. Wellman were living in Springfield, Pa., the daughter, Emma, was born. A few days later the mother died and the little girl was taken into the home of her uncle, Dr. A. R. Smith in Girard. Subsequently the father went to France to practice his profession, where he had one time studied medicine under a brother of Victor Hugo.

The years have sped by, the father traveling over the different countries of the world, locating at one time in Montana and at last coming back in his old age to Girard and Springfield. The daughter grew to womanhood, believing her father to be dead. This winter a letter came to her from the uncle in Girard that a happy surprise awaited her at his home and Mrs. Wehnes at once went to be greeted by the father she scarcely remembered to have ever seen. The happy reunion is continued by bringing home her father to spend his declining years under her roof.

From Geneva Daily Times 11 April 1905

Canandaigua, N. Y. -
It may seem strange to many, but the fact is vouched for by the physician who was called and others, that Jacob Schneider, in the town of South Bristol, suffered a sun stroke a few days ago, while shoveling snow from the roads near Woodville at the head of Canandaigua Lake, where there have been immense drifts the past winter and which had not at that time thawed away. Schneider was standing in the snow, and his feet and limbs became so chilled that there was a rush of blood to his head, which in connection with the hot sun caused his illness as above stated.

Canandaigua, N. Y. - Another case of "didn't know it was loaded," has resulted in trouble for Michael Cassero, one of Canandaigua's Italian residents, living on Buffalo street, and also for Tony Rosso, another Italian, who claims that while he was exhibiting a revolver to Cassero, it went off accidentally, and inflicted a bullet wound in Cassero's right arm. Cassero is being cared for at the Thompson Memorial hospital, where it is stated that his wound is not serious. It is stated that there is some doubt in regard to whether or not the shooting was accidental, and an investigation is under way.

From Geneva Daily Times 12 April 1905

Hopewell Center, N. Y. - John Benham,
the oldest man in this vicinity recently spent his eighty-eighth birthday with his son, Murry Benham.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 12 April 1905

Hopewell Center, N. Y. -
During the thunder storm of a few days ago, lightning struck the house of Austin Archer and demolished a jug, but Mr. Archer, who was standing nearby escaped without injury.

From Geneva Daily Times 17 April 1905

Canandaigua, N. Y. - Salem Haskell,
a well-known citizen of Cheshire, in the town of Canandaigua, is suffering with a broken leg. Both bones are broken, one above the ankle and the other at the ankle. The injury was received while Mr. Haskell was drawing logs in a gully. The road was uneven and the load tipped over, one of the logs rolling on Mr. Haskell. Dr. Hallenbeck of Canandaigua, is the physician in attendance.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 19 April 1905

Victor, N. Y. -
A resident of the town of Farmington, who resides a short distance east of this village, met with a peculiar accident a few days ago. Cassius Gardner was engaged in plowing a lot near his home. He attempted to hold back a bush so that the horse could pass, and in so doing, he suddenly turned his head in the direction of the hedge and several of the sharp needles penetrated one of his eyes. It was a very painful accident and as a result the sight of the eye is entirely gone.

From Geneva Daily Times 20 April 1905

Rushville, N. Y. - Miss Julia Fanning
has in her possession a quantity of old papers that were the property of her father, William Fanning. The oldest of these is dated April 9, 1808, and is a deed of 3 1/2 acres of land which was sold by James Lewis and wife of Gorham to William Fanning for the sum of twenty dollars. The old English "s" is used throughout the document which, with the old style seals, give it an ancient look. Ralph Lester was then clerk of Ontario county. A "License to Make Boots and Bootees," bears the date of April 19, 1815, and gave Mr. Fanning permission to employ such a person. This is countersigned by S. Bates, collector of revenue for the twenty-fourth collection district of New York Another deed is that of "Pew No. 10, in the Meeting House about to be erected by the First Congregational society of Gorham and Augusta, for the sum of one hundred and forty dollars." That was January 4, 1819, Samuel Reed, William Houlton, Nathan Loomis, Timothy Mower, Trustees. Calvin Loomis and C. Sawyer, Jr., witnesses."

From Geneva Daily Times 22 April 1905

John Cirone,
an Italian living on Jackson street, was badly shaken up by falling from a wagon in Lewis street last evening. Cirone was riding in a work wagon. He was sitting on the end board and balancing himself by holding on to the board with his hands. Suddenly the driver hit the horses with his whip and they bounded forward. The start of the horses caused Cirone to lose his balance and he fell backward turning half way over. He still held on with his hands and remained hanging head downward for several feet. Before the driver could be warned of the man's predicament or he could right himself, his hold on the board loosened and he fell directly downward against the brick pavement. Those who were watching the occurrence thought that the man's skull had been fractured. He was bleeding from a bad looking wound in the forehead but after getting on his feet and having the blood washed from the wound, he went on his way home exclaiming that he was all right, but refusing to again continue his journey in the wagon, which belonged to one of the nursery firms for which the Italian had been working.

 Canandaigua, N. Y. - William Woodside, a young Canandaiguan, is suffering from the effects of injuries received while at work assisting in loading the equipment of the Natural Science Camp, which was on Thursday, transferred from Canandaigua lake shore to Lake Keuka by its proprietor, Professor Albert A. Arey. Woodside was crushed beneath a heavy piece of flooring, and was rendered unconscious, but it is thought that his injuries are not as serious as was at first supposed.

From Geneva Daily Times 24 April 1905

Seneca Castle, N. Y. - Eugene Webster,
of this place, has just had an interesting adventure. Thursday evening he attended prayer meeting in the M. E. church and left his overcoat in the vestibule. After service the coat wasn't where he had placed it and a search failed to reveal it. It was reported that a tramp, with a coat on his arm had been seen going north. Beyond this there was no trace of the missing property. Friday evening, Mr. Webster attended a social at the home of Fred Weyneth. While putting his horse up his attention was called to a man who had asked permission to stay all night in the barn. The man had on an overcoat which Mr. Webster recognized as the one stolen from him. On being accused the man promptly owned up to the theft. He was taken before Justice Thatcher, who, after an examination, sentenced him to fifteen days in the county jail. The tramp gave his name as Henry George.

From Geneva Daily Times 27 April 1905

A spirited team of black horses owned by the Robinson Livery company became frightened on Seneca street in front of the Geneva Tobacco store, and getting beyond the control of the driver, Charles R. Robinson, they dashed down the street, collided with a rig owned by Samuel McBlain, a farmer that was standing in front of Dorchester & Rose's store, and dashed through a large plate glass window in the front of the block. Both horses were badly cut about the legs and head. Mr. Robinson was uninjured. The McBlain rig was badly demolished. Several pedestrians had narrow escapes. The accident happened at 4:15.

From Geneva Daily Times 28 April 1905

Clifton Springs, N. Y. - Mrs. Sarah Moore
celebrated her eighty-ninth birthday Monday. Her friends and relatives planned and successfully carried out a surprise visit. She has lived for many years in this village and has many friends.

From Ontario County Journal 28 April 1905

Shortsville, N. Y. - 
The boys of the Shortsville High school have organized a base ball nine, with these members: Harold M. Ballard, catcher; Howard Forshay, pitcher; John J. Haggerty, first base; Thurlow Huntington, second base; Fred E. Klinck, third base; Emmett Emery, short stop; Levi Huntington, right field; Charles M. Buck, left field; William Delahunty, center field; Harold M. Ballard, manager; Emmett Emery, captain. The first game will be played on Arbor day, when the local team will meet the Manchester High school nine.

From Geneva Daily Times 29 April 1905

An exciting runaway on North street yesterday afternoon came near resulting disastrously for some children who were playing in the street. That no one was injured was due to the presence of mind of John F. Ryan, of Castle street, who at the risk of personal injuries, grabbed the frightened animal by the head and succeeded in stopping him at the corner of Center street after being dragged for some distance. The horse started to run from the Geneva Preserving company office and is said to have been owned by John Kenny of the Hammond farm. Ryan was engaged in laying a cement sidewalk, with other workmen, when he saw the runaway approaching.

From Geneva Daily Times 1 May 1905

Rushville, N. Y. -
Quite an excitement was caused on the streets about 5 o'clock Friday afternoon by a runaway horse which dashed down Main and Gilbert streets before he could be captured. The horse was driven by Miss Carrie Loomis, who was on her way home from the bank where she is employed. He became frightened just after leaving Mr. Adamson's barn, where he is kept during the day, and when in front of Mrs. Jones' store fell down, throwing Miss Loomis out. She was uninjured. The buggy was partially wrecked.

From Geneva Daily Times 2 May 1905

Denny McCarthy,
the local professional baseball pitcher, returned from Albany Sunday with a pet bull terrier, a gift from "Chic" Cargo, a member of the Albany State league team. McCarthy kept the dog in the house until yesterday afternoon he let him out for an airing. The little fellow followed a wagon away from McCarthy's home on North street and hasn't been seen since.

From Geneva Daily Times 3 May 1905

Canandaigua, N. Y. - James Holden,
with his entire family, consisting of his wife and four children, who have been at Thompson Memorial Hospital for some time, where they were being treated for diphtheria, are reported to be doing well, and will, without doubt, recover. Mr. Holden is an employee at the blacksmith shop of A. G. Simpson on Bristol street.

Reed's Corners, N. Y. - The Reed Corners Cemetery Association has the following newly elected officers: President, Rusell Henry; secretary, Clark Wood; treasurer, Gilbert Elwell; trustees, James Roat, Emory Megaffee, Fred Harris and Arthur Winne.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 3 May 1905

Mrs. Asa Worden
of Bristol street, while visiting friends in Rushville last week, had the misfortune to fall and fracture her right arm at the shoulder. The arm was set at the Canandaigua Hospital and the patient is improving.

Stanley, N. Y. - Harry Sutor met with an accident last Monday while working at the farm of Edward Hall. Mr. Sutor was thrown from a farm wagon onto a pile of stones by the horses starting suddenly. He received serious bruises about one arm, shoulder and leg. He was brought to his home and it will be some weeks before he will be able to return to his work.

Reed's Corners, N. Y. - George Pfenninger and daughter, Erma, had a narrow escape from death on Saturday night while coming home from Canandaigua. The horse became frightened at the sprinkler in the highway by Dewey's Corners and ran away. The buggy was quite well demolished and Mr. Pfenninger and daughter were thrown to the ground, the former being badly hurt. The horse was not found until Sunday evening, when it was located at Darwin McClure's.

Phelps, N. Y. - Frank Hershey,
the base ball twirler, who was drafted by the Boston National from New York State league at the close of last season, has been sold to Wilkesbarre in the Pennsylvania league. Hershey, whose home is at Hall's, this county, is well known in Phelps, having played with the local team two seasons ago. From here he went to Corning and then signed with the Ilion team where he made a great record for himself.

From Geneva Daily Times 4 May 1905

David Reed,
of No. 31 Munson avenue, a foreman of the molding department at the Summit Stove works sustained a dangerous wound in his neck last night that nearly resulted in his bleeding to death. Despite the medical assistance given, he is still in a weakened and serious condition. Reed was at his home last evening when the fire was discovered at the stove works, about a block away, and in his hurry to get to the scene, he took to the back yards. In passing through a plot of ground directly in the rear of his own home, he ran full force into a wire clothesline. The contact threw him to the ground with much force. He arose, partly stunned, and could feel the blood running down over his chest, but still he continued on to the fire. He stayed about the burning building for some little time, until he grew faint from loss of blood. His condition was soon noted and he was taken to his home and Dr. T. D. Rupert was called. An examination showed a very ugly wound on the left side of his neck, which required eight stitches to close. An inspection of the line into which Reed ran shows that at the point at which he collided, there was a splice. The sharp ends of the roughly connected wires protruded and it is thought that one of these caused the wound.

From Geneva Daily Times 8 May 1905

Walter K. Bennett,
a machinist of No. 111 Washington street, was arrested this morning by Officer Hawkins charged with the non-support of his fourteen-year-old daughter, Elizabeth Bennett. He pleaded not guilty, and at the request of George L. Bachman, attorney for Lottie M. Bennett, the complainant, the case was set down for trial Wednesday morning, May 17, at 10 o'clock. The complaint was sworn to before Judge Wyckoff Saturday by Lottie M. Bennett. She alleges that on or about the third day of May, Bennett refused to feed and clothe his daughter, and that he refused to allow her to enter his house. The child is now staying with relatives. Bennett is a gray-haired man and in court acted as if the charge against him was of a trivial nature. He pleaded not guilty to the charge in an emphatic manner and asked to consult counsel.

From Geneva Daily Times 9 May 1905

Canandaigua, N. Y. - Eli N. Green,
an old and respected resident of Bristol street, this village, aged 89 years, had the misfortune to have his left shoulder badly broken and dislocated a day or so ago. Mr. Green, who is a remarkably active man for his age, was climbing into his wagon, when the horse which is full of life, gave a sudden start, throwing his master out. Dr. M. R. Carson was called and found that the bones of the shoulder were so badly broken that it will not be possible to make any operation. It is feared that the injury will never be completely healed owing to the extreme age of the patient.

From Geneva Daily Times 13 May 1905

Hopewell, N. Y. -
Several of the farmers in this vicinity are having new phones put in their homes. Among them are: Everett Calman, Mr. Sheffield, Harlock Cooper, Granger Benham, E. M. Benham, Charles Wood and William Wood.

From Victor Herald 19 May 1905

William Amesbury
was the victim of a most unfortunate and serious accident yesterday morning. While engaged in his work at the Locke factory, Mr. Amesbury caught his hand in the plug or tube machine and had two fingers taken off from his left hand. Dr. W. B. Clapper was quickly summoned and dressed the injured hand.

From Geneva Daily Times 26 May 1905

Naples, N. Y. -
A Court of Foresters has been organized here with about thirty members. The officers are as follows:

Past Chief Ranger - Fred Briggs
Chief Ranger - Fred A. McMillian
Vice chief ranger - George T. Morey
Orator - Frank Coleman
Financial secretary - George Bolles
Recording secretary - Will Lyon
Treasurer - Arthur Briggs
Organist - Thomas Cornish
Court deputy - Lawrence Gehrig
Senior Woodward - J. C. Schwingle
Junior Woodward - Clyde Harrington
Senior Beadle - Fred Prouty
Junior Beadle - Leo Walker
Court physician - Dr. H. R. Barringer

From Geneva Daily Times 26 May 1905

Hopewell Center, N. Y. -
Commissioner of highways, Cornelius N. Breen, has designated overseers of highway as follows:

District No.


Charles Knowls
Daniel O'Brien
Frederick Knowls
E. Darwin Reese
Judson Archer
Michael Crowley
Herbert Walters
L. H. Smith
Clinton Benham
George Wallace
John Wheatley
Patrick Ghean
Harlock Cooper
William E. Wood
District No.


Homer E. Brizzee
Jacob Brown
Emory D. Ranney  
Stephen L. Van Voorhis
Charles Colf
Ralph Snyder
Eugene Esty
Milo Benham
Joseph Brizzee
E. F. Jones
Lewis Marsh
Gilbert Kirkpatrick, Jr.
Thomas Dolan
John Jones
District No.


David E. Benham
Frank Stoddard
H. E. Converse
Emil Vanvelder
A. V. Vrooman
John Tobin
William Weller
James Kane
John Shay  
Howard D. Converse
John Buchan
James H. Chapin
Halsey Wilcox

From Geneva Daily Times 27 May 1905

Phelps, N. Y. -
The Political Equality club has elected the following officers for the coming year:

President - Mrs. Lucretia M. Holbrook
First Vice-President - Mrs. Lillian M. Parmelee
2nd Vice-President - Mrs. Sarah J. Ottley
Recording Secretary - Mrs. Ethel Groat
Corresponding Secretary - Mrs. Jennie E. McKenney
Treasurer - Mrs. Armeda Vanderhoof
Auditors - Mrs. Mary Salisbury and
Mrs. Carrie Dillon
Delegate to the state convention -
Mrs. Lucretia Holbrook
Delegates to county convention -
Mrs. Alice Perkins, Mrs. Laura Van Auken,
Miss Fannie Hotchkiss, Mrs. Lillian Parmalee

From Canandaigua Chronicle 31 May 1905

Last Wednesday evening a chapter of the order of the Eastern Star to be known as Eagle Star Chapter was organized at Honeoye with 42 members. The Canandaigua Chapter of the O. E. S., assisted by Miss Ida M. Kellogg of Seneca Falls, district deputy, installed the following officers:

Worthy Matron - Caroline Franklin
Asso. Matron - Alice L. Ashley
Worthy Patron - Truman Stevens
Secretary - Prudence Franklin
Treasurer - Jessie M. Ashley
Warden - Mary Wilson
Marshall - Ellen Howcroft
Organist - Aline Stevens
Sentinel - Charles Howcroft, Jr.
Chaplain - Dr. H. J. Abel
Adah - Mary Harris
Ruth - Eliza Howcroft
Esther - Sarah Reardon
Martha - Ione Gilbert
Electa - Lenora Burton

Return to Ontario County Homepage

Copyright © 2005-13, Ontario County NYGenWeb and each contributor and author of materials herein. All rights reserved.

Updated 26 January 2013