From Ontario County Chronicle 1 January 1902

Allen's Hill, N. Y. -
At a regular meeting of Camp No. 9058, Modern Woodmen of America, the following officers were elected for the ensuing year:

Venerable counsel - G. E. Patterson
Worthy advisor - O. C. Reed
Excellent banker - Will Belcher
Efficient clerk - M. H. Bell
Escort - George Beach
Watchman - J. B. Sleght
Sentry - H. L. Bennett
Physician - E. B. Sayre, M. D.
Manager, 3 yrs - O. C. Reed
Manager of Vacancy - J. B. Sleght
Camp Clerk - G. E. Patterson

Hopewell Center, N. Y. - A romantic story is in circulation here to the effect that a fortune has come to an old lady from a brother whom she had not heard from or seen in thirty years past. The woman is Miss Carrie Kirkham, and her brother, George Kirkham, left the East some thirty years ago, after a quarrel with a younger brother. The quarrel was a bitter one, and it is stated that George left everything, including his interest in a small farm on which the brother dwelt, to go West, leaving behind unpleasant associations, and to seek his fortunes. A short time ago information came to the sister from the long lost brother that he was living in Montana, and in affluence. He said he had sustained a probably fatal kick from a mustang on his ranch near Butte, Mont. A few days later a telegram informed his sister of his death. The extent of his fortune was not known, but the bulk of it will go to the sister, who is too feeble to take the journey West but who is now in communication with her brother's executors.

Manchester, N. Y. - A team of horses owned by John W. Parker of Port Gibson, and used for drawing cream to his creamery in this place, was left standing near the Lehigh station on Tuesday and either from fright or the cold started to run, and all attempts to stop them proved useless, as they ran like wild horses for over three miles, when becoming tired they turned into a farmer's yard, where they were in the habit of stopping for cream, and strange to say that nothing was found to be broken after their wild run. The team acted a little sore.  

New officers of the Painters' and Decorators' Union, No. 202, of this place are as follows:

President - Byron McMaster
Vice-president - Miles Batchelor
Treasurer - James Herrington
Financial secy - Charles Simmons
Recording secy - William Wyville
Collector - William Swarthout
Warden - William Herrington

From Geneva Daily Times 3 January 1902

A horse owned and driven by James Conway ran away at 6 o'clock last evening in High street.  As a result, Mrs. Patrick Sparrow was slightly hurt and her daughter, Nellie Sparrow, was seriously injured.  Mr. Conway is a farmer who lives a few miles west of this city.  He came to Geneva yesterday afternoon to take his sister, Mrs. Sparrow, of West avenue, out for a cutter ride.  Mrs. Sparrow's daughter, Nellie, accompanied them.  They had gone but a short distance when the animal became frightened and lunged to one side, overturning the cutter and throwing the occupants to the ground.  Mr. Conway, although badly shaken up, succeeded in holding onto the reins and was being dragged rapidly along when Charles Durkee, who was passing, seized the mad animal by the bridle and stopped him.  As soon as the horse was brought to a halt, Mr. Conway arose to his feet and was in the act of thanking his rescuer when their attention was attracted by groans a short distance away. Mr. Durkee ran to the spot from whence the groans came.  He found Mrs. Sparrow and her daughter in a semi-conscious condition.

Nellie Sparrow was carried into the home of Mrs. Howe, at the corner of Brook and High streets, where she was made as comfortable as possible.  Mrs. Sparrow was able to walk to the Howe house with some assistance.  There her injuries also were attended to.  Both women were moved to their home in West avenue at 7 o'clock.  It was said today that they are resting comfortably.

From Geneva Daily Times 6 January 1902

FLOWED WITH BEER - Fred Fredenburg,
a clerk in the employ of D. E. Dempsey, of Castle street, was delivering beer late Saturday afternoon when his horse became frightened at some object in front of the Dewey hotel in Exchange street. Fredenburg was in the hotel at the time, and when the alarm was given he ran to the street.  He saw his wares scattered over the street, and a stream of beer was running in the gutter.  The horse was moving at a rapid gallop towards the business portion of the city.  There were two half-barrels in the load that were to be delivered to private families and the barrels had faucets in them ready to use.  Owing to this fact, the streets, for the first time in the history of the new city, literally flowed with the coveted liquid.  The animal ran diagonally across the street and collided with the wagon of Valentine Ochs, a farmer residing in Seneca county.  Both wagons were demolished.  Mr. Dempsey's horse continued up Exchange street until it was stopped by Officer Kinney.

From Geneva Daily Times 9 January 1902

William D. Mitten,
an employe of the Standard Optical Co., and who resides at 84 Lyceum street, was struck in the forehead by a snow ball while returning from work at 5 o'clock yesterday afternoon.  Mitten fell to the ground unconscious. It is, it was said today, customary for the employes of the optical works to throw snow balls at one another, while going to and from work. This custom is largely due, no doubt, to the fact that a number of youngsters are employed there.  Yesterday was an exceptionally good day for snow-balling, and a regular, pitched battle took place among the shop hands, on their way home at 5 o'clock in the afternoon.  Mr. Mitten, in company with several shop-mates, was proceeding down Lyceum street, dodging, when possible, the snow balls that came his way.  Mr. Mitten had just straightened up from a crouched position he took to dodge a volley when he was struck by a snow ball that had been pressed by strong hands until it was hard as a rock. Mitten fell to the ground with a groan.  His companions tried to assist him to rise, but found that his unconscious condition would not permit him to stand.  He was again placed on the ground, and efforts were made to revive him.  After 15 minutes Mitten regain consciousness, only to lose it again.  He was carried home by his fellow-workmen and restoratives were applied.  In a short while Mr. Mitten was restored to consciousness.  Altogether he was insensible over half an hour, and the snow-ballers were greatly alarmed.  His eyes are badly swollen today, but he was able to resume his duties this morning.

From Victor Herald 10 January 1902

Dr. James F. Draper
met with an accident last Saturday morning which resulted in the breaking of his right leg below the knee. He had occasion to visit Hunt's pond, about a mile north of this village, and as it is some distance from the road, was obliged to walk to where the men were at work. In returning to his cutter, he slipped down an icy embankment, striking his leg against a slight obstruction and breaking it squarely in two. The doctor quickly brought the bones back into position and insisted upon being helped into the cutter and driving home. He was accompanied by Ralph Harmon. Dr. A. M. Mead set the fractured limb and Drs. Mead and Jackson are now looking after it. The enforced vacation is decidedly unwelcome to Dr. Draper, who has always been a very active man. The innumerable host of friends will sympathize with him and will rejoice that there there is every prospect of his quick recovery.

From Geneva Daily Times 15 January 1902

Cutter was Overturned and their Horse Ran Away - Mrs. John Stokoe
and daughter of Stanley, participated in a somewhat sensational runaway in Exchange street at 11 o'clock this forenoon.  The women were driving northward in Exchange street.  When in front of the Kirkwood hotel, Mrs. Stokoe endeavored to turn the horse across the street car track.  The cutter was upset and the occupants were thrown out.  One of the women was dragged some distance.  The animal was brought to a standstill in front of T. A. Kane's grocery by the combined efforts of O. H. Bennett and Samuel Cook. The street was strewn with rolls of butter, with turnips and other produce.

From Ontario County Chronicle 15 January 1902

A. E. Park,
of 44 Mechanic street, this village, is the possessor of a deed bearing date September 1, 1802. It is an instrument transferring 80 acres of land from James Hailand to William Reed. The land was situated in the town of Northfield, Ontario County. That was before Ontario County had several other counties taken from it. Mr. Reed was a distant relative of Mr. Park.

From Ontario County Journal 17 January 1902

Gorham, N. Y. -  William Ward
had the misfortune to lose his faithful dog the past week. Mr. Ward has been afflicted with rheumatism for years, he having no use of his hands. The dog, which was a large black one and his constant companion, carried all packages for him, and he feels his loss most keenly.

William Davies,
of Niagara street, an employee at the Lisk works, was severely scalded on one foot and ankle while at work yesterday morning. He was on top of a vat, which contained muriatic acid, when a board gave way, and one leg was plunged into the hot acid up to the knee. Dr. F. P. Warner was called and dressed the injured member and relieved the intense suffering.

From Geneva Daily Times 18 January 1902

William Hanlon,
a young man, 27 years of age, was run down by a horse at 5:30 o'clock yesterday afternoon, at the corner of Main and Castle streets, commonly called the five points.  Mr. Hanlon resides about 1 3/4 miles north, west of the city. He said that he saw the animal approaching, but thought he had time to cross the street.  "I had just reached the middle of the road," he said, "when the horse caught me.  I tried to get hold of the bridle, but failed."  Aside from a slight bruise on the arm and hip, Hanlon is not otherwise injured.  The horse is owned and was driven by Charles Harrington, a farmer residing in the Town of Phelps.

From Geneva Daily Times 21 January 1902

John H. Lambert,
a tinsmith in the employ of Dorchester & Rose, fell on the sidewalk in front of the residence of W. L. Young, in South Main street, at 11 o'clock this forenoon.  Lambert struck on his back and head.  An ugly gash an inch long was cut in the back of his head.  Lambert walked to the office of Dr. Henry D. Clapp.  The physician took several stitches in the wound.  Lambert is at work again this afternoon.

From Ontario County Journal 24 January 1902

Gorham, N. Y. -  Mrs. Charlotte Watkins
met with a serious accident on Sunday morning as she was about to descend the stairs. She made a misstep and fell to the bottom of the stairs, causing a severe cut in her forehead and chest. Although no bones were broken, at her extreme age and feeble condition, the fall may prove serious.

From Geneva Daily Times 25 January 1902

A horse attached to a grocery sleigh owned by Frank L. Taylor ran away in Exchange street at 6:10 o'clock last night. The horse was driven by Albert Turner.  Turner lost control of the animal near State street.  It ran southward and was caught in front of the Park hotel.  The harness was broken and the groceries were scattered.

From Geneva Daily Times 31 January 1902

Two aged Genevans celebrated their birthdays this week.  The elder is Jacob Beach, of Geneva street.  Mr. Beach was 81 years old Monday.  He was born in Geneva and has resided here all his life.  He was an undertaker for over half a century. Mr. Beach has enjoyed good health up to last summer.  Since then he has been subject to palpitation of the heart.

The second Genevan is Mrs. Ann Miller of John street, also an octogenarian.  Mrs. Miller is 84 years old. She was born in England and came to this country 52 years ago.  She has resided  in Geneva 45 years.

From Ontario County Journal 31 January 1902

Victor, N. Y. - 
A lively runaway occurred in the village on Tuesday forenoon. Robert Reeves and son, who reside north of the village, were driving into town when some of the harness gave way, frightening the horse which commenced to kick and run. The two men were thrown out of the cutter, and the horse continued its flight down Main street until reaching the Methodist church, when it turned into the yard, overturning the cutter and completely demolishing it. The horse was then secured, and shortly after the owners walked into the village uninjured, aside from a severe shaking up.

Robert Chesebro, son of Frank W. Chesebro, received terribly disfiguring superficial injuries in a peculiar manner on Wednesday. He was skating on the lake, using a hand sail, with the aid of which he attained great speed. While moving very fast, he struck a section of thin ice which had formed over the original ice. It was not of sufficient strength to bear his weight and th skates broke through, throwing Chesebro forward on his face, which ploughed through the glass-like ice with the result that there was scarcely a half-inch surface on his face and forehead that was uninjured. Before the young man could reach a physician, his eyes had swollen shut. While the dozen or more wounds are painful, they are not serious.

On Saturday, William Davis, son of Henry Davis, of Clark street, fell on the ice at the lake while both hands were in his pockets. He struck squarely upon his nose, and the concussion produced a hemorrhage that frightened those who gathered to lend him assistance. He was later taken home, apparently not seriously injured.

From Geneva Daily Times 4 February 1902

of Seneca Castle, arrived in the city this morning after considerable difficulty.  He was the first man to traverse the road from from Seneca Castle to Geneva since the storm, he said.  The report that he makes as to the condition of the country roads is one of gigantic drifts and long stretches of unbroken thoroughfares. He said that from Castleton to Seeley's hill there had been no attempt made to travel the road since the storm.  At the farm of the late W. L. McKane there is a drift from 15 to 18 feet deep that entirely blocks the road, making it necessary to go out into the field and around the McKane barn to get through.  At the Seeley farm, Mr. Ridley reports the road blown full to a depth of six to seven feet.  Here he broke a track through the orchard.  The road from Seeley's to Geneva is in fairly good condition.  The cross roads, it is said, are full of snow, are in an impassable condition, and are likely to be for some time.

From Geneva Daily Times 6 February 1902

Considerable excitement was caused in Seneca street shortly before noon today by a runaway.  A horse, steaming with perspiration, came dashing through Linden street on a dead run, dragging behind it an empty sleigh.  The horse turned up Seneca street, and as it did so the sleigh was swung around and grazed against the posts of the Carrollton veranda.  As the animal proceeded up the hill, people ran out of the stores and offices and endeavored to stop it.  William House, driver for W. I. Bennett & Co., attempted to catch the horse, but failed.  When it reached a point in front of the Dutch Reformed church, one of the city garbage collectors who was on his beat in the neighborhood, made a dive for the bridle but missed it.  His overcoat caught in on a protruding part of the sleigh, and he was dragged nearly half a block.  The garbage collector managed to tear himself loose from the sleigh.  M. G. Fletcher assisted him to his feet.  The man's face and hands were scratched but his injuries were not serious.

Meanwhile the horse had proceeded south to Mile Point, where it was caught.  It was learned that the horse belonged to the Senate creamery, and that it started in front of the Torrey Park grocery store while the driver, Foster Ritter, was delivering some milk.  The animal, it was said, became frightened at the escaping steam from a locomotive.  The feature of the runaway was that the horse galloped the entire length of the city, a distance of two miles, and passed through the business portion of the town without severely injuring any one, and without upsetting the sleigh or injuring it in any way.  Not one of the empty milk bottles in the rear of the sleigh was broken.

From Victor Herald 7 February 1902

Sunday morning last James Flood, the Holcomb barber, took his family, consisting of his wife and three young daughters, and embarked for Hemlock to visit relatives. They rode in a cutter drawn by one of Leete and Munson's teams. During the day, the snow fell heavily and on their return trip, Sunday night, the storm was at its height. At about six o'clock, the team floundered in a big drift opposite the "old house," about a mile north of Wheeler Bostwick's. The horses were hopelessly submerged and perfectly helpless. Mr. Flood wrapped his shivering wife and children in the blankets and unhitching the team started, already nearly exhausted, through the deep snow and blinding sleet for help. The team kept the road and plunging and struggling along the unbroken trail, almost dragged the driver after them. Finally, Mr. Bostwick's house was reached and with a fresh team, Mr. Flood, accompanied by Mr. Bostwick, worked back to the sleigh and drew it and its unfortunate occupants to Mr. Bostwick's hospitable home. Neither Mrs. Flood or the children were severely chilled, but the lapse of three hours while help was being secured proved a perilous and tedious experience -- yet happily not resulting seriously. The patch of woods bordering the place where they were left alone in the sleigh is a cheerless place in broad daylight and at night -- in a storm -- the aspect would be discouraging to say the least.

From Geneva Daily Times 12 February 1902

William A. Sturges,
of 664 Exchange street, nearly lost his left thumb while at work this morning, in the woodworking room of the Geneva wagon works.  Sturges was working at a saw at 8:30 o'clock when the board he was cutting jumped.  The workman's hand struck the saw, which severed the tendons that held the thumb in place.  Sturges went to the office of Dr. H. D. Clapp, dressed the injured member.  The physician states that Sturges will be laid up for three weeks.

From Geneva Daily Times 13 February 1902

Mrs. Susan Hawkins
, of 53 State street, widow of Thomas Hawkins, received word yesterday afternoon from the U. S. pension department at Washington, that she has been granted a pension of $8 per month, beginning Sept. 28, 1901. Mr. Hawkings was a veteran of the civil war.  The pension has been granted promptly considering the fact that the application was made last September.

From Geneva Daily Times 13 February 1902

A surprise party was tendered Mrs. Martha Meyer yesterday afternoon and last evening at her home in North Main street, by 20 of her friends and relatives.  Mrs. Meyer is said to be the second oldest resident of Geneva and the occasion yesterday was in honor of her 92nd birthday.  The party of friends went to the Meyer home at 4 o'clock. Mrs. Meyer was completely surprised.  There were five generations of the Meyer family, counting Mrs. Meyer, represented as follows:  Mrs. Meyer, Mrs. Harriet Clarkson, Mrs. Nellie Clarkson, S. Clarkson and little Leonore Clarkson.  Mrs. Meyer is in good health. She entertained the guests with interesting reminiscences.  Refreshments were served.

From Geneva Daily Times 19 February 1902

J. Henry Recklinghausen
received a letter today from his uncle, Frederic Recklinghausen, of Gueteasloe, Germany, confirming the report that he and his father, Arnold Recklinghausen, are two of 10 heirs to an estate of $200,000 left by Banker Recklinghausen of Kiel, Germany.  The deceased banker was a brother of Arnold Recklinghausen, and an uncle of G. H. Recklinghausen, both of Geneva.  The other heirs reside in Germany.  Mr. Recklinghausen had no faith in the report that he and his father would come in for a share of the estate until the letter was received today.  The German banker died last November. He was a bachelor and left no will.  The letter states that the Geneva heirs must come to Kiel next June and prove their right to a share of the estate.  J. H. Recklinghausen said this afternoon that both he and his father will go to Germany to establish their rights.  He says there will be no difficulty in doing that.  Mr. Recklinghausen thinks that possibly the estate is much larger than it is claimed to be in the letter.  It is said to be left partly in cash and partly in real estate.

From Geneva Daily Times 21 February 1902

The drum corps of the 34th Separate company left this afternoon for Auburn, where it will play this evening at the dress parade hop to be given by the Second Separate company.  The following attended:  Drum major Harry Archer, Buglers William Groden, Thomas Biddlecom, Arthur VanHuben, Charles Dorsey and Grant; Drummers Charles Lain, Clarence Gilbert, Max Leonard, Harry Little and Robert Boyd.

From Ontario County Chronicle 26 February 1902

Honeoye, N. Y. -
The Modern Woodmen have elected the following officers: Adviser - W. J. McKey; Consul - Fred Paul; Banker - H. F. Briggs; Clerk - George W. Patterson, Jr.

The newly organized Ira N. Deyo camp Sons of Veterans have chosen these officers: Captain - P. H. Leahy; first lieutenant - G. F. Deyo; second lieutenant - George W. Patterson, Jr.; first sergeant - Oliver Brown.

From Geneva Daily Times 4 March 1902

William Preston,
an employe of the Herendeen Manufacturing Co., had his left eye severely burned by sulphuric acid at 10 o'clock this forenoon.  He was doing some soldering at the Herendeen works when some of the acid used in the process flew and struck his left eye.  Part of the acid entered the eye, severely burning the member.  Preston hastened to the office of Dr. H. D. Weyburn, where the physician neutralized the acid.  After the eye was dressed, Preston went to his home at 11 East North street.  He will be unable to work for a week, it was said.

From Geneva Daily Times 8 March 1902

Michael Sullivan,
60 years old, an employe of the Hood Coal Co., fell into the canal late yesterday afternoon.  Sullivan was working on the tow-path.  At a point just south of the company's coal trestle, he slipped and fell into the water.  Sullivan struggled in vain to reach the bank, but he could not swim.  Several boatmen launched a small craft and went to Sullivan's rescue.  He was going under for the last time when he was pulled out.  Sullivan was well nigh exhausted.  When he revived, he walked to his house in Middle street.

From Geneva Daily Times 11 March 1902

Thomas Fleming,
a member of the Nester Hose Co., had his right hand badly jammed last night between the hose cart handle and the door of the bus to which the cart was attached.

From Geneva Daily Times 12 March 1902

John Allen,
a farmer residing near Earls, had a narrow escape from serious injury in a runaway which occurred on South Lake road late yesterday afternoon.  Allen, in company with two men, was returning home in a democrat wagon attached to a spirited team of colts.  When the rig had reached a point near John Wilkie's farm a freight train on the Fall Brook railroad came along. The distance between the track and the road is not more than 50 feet at that point.  The train was coming towards the colts. The latter became unmanageable and began to back.  The wagon was backed into a ditch and all three occupants were precipitated to the road.  Allen struck nearest the overturned wagon.  The frightened horses started on a run; Allen pluckily seized the reins and clung to them.  The team ran southward increasing its speed every moment.  Allen at first managed to perch himself on top of the overturned vehicle.  He was soon thrown off, however, and the horses dragged him half a mile when he managed to run them into a fence.  Allen was badly cut about the lower limbs and arms.  His clothing was torn almost to shreds.  Jans Jenkinson, a farm hand, ran to his assistance.  The horses were securely tied and Allen's injuries were attended to. Neither the horses nor the rig were injured to any extent.  Allen's companions reached him 15 minutes afterwards.  They were not injured. The three men returned to this city and remained overnight.

From Ontario County Chronicle 12 March 1902

Manchester, N. Y. - Harry Vanderhoof,
who lives in the eastern part of the town, has a pet crow that can talk as well as a parrot. It was taken from a nest in a tree when young, and before it was four months old it could partially form words, and now it is an expert.

Monday night, Fred Gier, a well-known plumber in the employ of J. H. Kelly, walked out of a third story window in the Masseth House and fell to the ground below. It is believed his back is broken and he is injured otherwise. He was moved to St. Mary's Hospital in Rochester yesterday afternoon.

From Geneva Daily Times 13 March 1902

Mrs. George Root,
of Jay street, is confined to the house by a peculiar accident.  Last week Mrs. Root stumbled and fell in her room.  She struck on her side.  She did not experience any severe pain at the time.  Nothing more was thought of the fall until Monday night when she felt a severe pain in her side.  Yesterday Dr. J. Pope DeLancey was summoned.  The physician made an examination and found Mrs. Root suffering from a broken rib.  She will be confined to her bed for some time.

From Geneva Daily Times 19 March 1902

Mrs. William S. Giddins,
an aged woman residing three mile northeast of this city, lies at the point of death as the result of severe internal injuries sustained as the result of a peculiar accident yesterday afternoon.  Mrs. Giddins is 70 years of age. She stumbled over a rug in the parlor of her home, and fell heavily to the floor.  She was carried to her room, and a physician of this city was summoned.  The physician found Mrs. Giddins suffering from internal injuries which are likely to prove fatal.

From Ontario County Chronicle 19 March 1902

Phelps, N. Y. -
On Thursday Dr. Jones, of Rochester, assisted by Drs. Howe and Pritchard of Phelps, performed an operation for the removal of a foreign growth in the abdomen of Jacob Whitbeck.

Manchester, N. Y. - C. P. Osgood has in his possession an arithmetic published in 1824, which is quite a curiosity. Several of the examples are practically stated and would be quite a "stunt" for some of the college graduates of the present day. The author of the book was the father of the late Mrs. John Payne, who for many years was a resident of Farmington.

From Geneva Daily Times 21 March 1902

An exciting runaway occurred at 5 o'clock yesterday afternoon, when the horse owned and driven by Milton Ottley of Oaks Corners took fright near Maxwell's nursery office in Castle street, and dashed down Castle to Exchange street, where it collided with a lumber wagon.  The horse struck its head against the wagon with such force that the bone in the front of its face was terribly smashed. The animal fell to the pavement from the force of the collision and was apparently dead, but recovered and was taken to Troutman's hitching stable.  Mr. Ottley stated that the horse was frightened by an evergreen bush which was lying in the roadway.  When the wheel struck it, the horse gave several jumps, caught the bit and began to run. On the way down Maxwell's hill, the whiffletree broke, and the vehicle ran on to the animal.  Mrs. Ottley, who was also in the wagon, was so badly frightened that she attempted to jump several times but was persuaded by her husband to remain in the wagon.  Both Mr. and Mrs. Ottley escaped injury.

From Geneva Daily Times 24 March 1902

W. C. HOWARD WAS A WOMAN - Lived with Wife at Canandaigua -
It became known here Saturday night that William C. Howard, who died at his home here, 50 years of age, and leaving a wife and two children, was a perfectly developed woman.  She had been married 10 years.  Her wife had all these years been kept in ignorance concerning the fact that her husband was not a man; at any rate, that is what she swore before the coroner.  She held in her arms a nursing baby only a few months old.  Howard died under mysterious circumstances and the coroner was called.  The autopsy showed that the cause of death was heart disease.  Two half-brothers of Howard from Wellsville were summoned.  They said their sister, Alice M. Howard, was born in Germany and came to this country when 2 years of age; that the family located in Hornellsville and subsequently removed to Wellsville; that she did not get along with her mother, and when 12 years of age, determined to become a man and carried into effect her determination by donning man's attire; that she changed her name to W. C. Howard and went to work in a neighboring county as a farm hand.  The family finally lost track of her. They next heard of her in May, 1892, when they learned that she had been married in Hornellsville, N. Y., to a Miss Edith Dyer, whose father was at that time a well-known passenger engineer on the Lehigh railroad.  The father has since died.  W. C. Howard at that time was a milk peddler in the City of Hornellsville.  One of the brothers said that after the marriage, W. C. Howard and wife visited the former's home in Wellsville and that the family then thought it their duty to inform Mrs. Howard that her husband was not a man, but a woman.  They didn't do so, however, because the couple seemed to be infatuated with each other.

Mrs. Howard, when questioned about their married life, said it had been a happy one, that she worshiped "Will" as she called her husband.  She said that after they had been married about a year they adopted a child which died.  In about four years more they adopted another, which is still living with her.  When questioned about the nursing baby of which she is the mother, she made no reply except to say that "Will" thought the world of it.

W. C. Howard was well known in Canandaigua, where she was seen almost daily in the stores buying goods.  She had a feminine manner.  Her face was perfectly smooth, but no one ever suspected that she was other than a man.  Another means which Howard took to conceal her sex was that of voting.  She voted regularly, invariably casting her ballot for the candidate on the Republican ticket.

Howard's body lay for 36 hours on the bed where death occurred and the ever-watchful "wife" resented all efforts to molest the body.  It is said that there was a compact between the Howards and their relatives that the body of "Will" should not be touched after death till the half-brothers arrived, when they expected to take it in charge.  The undertaker who arrived before the belated brothers, however, took charge of the body and disclosed the mystery unwittingly.

From Ontario County Chronicle 26 March 1902

Naples, N. Y. -
As Nicholas Bader and wife were coming down Rhine street Wednesday they were surprised to hear the Lehigh Valley work train rapidly approaching from the south. Near the foot of the hill the view is obstructed by a house and barn and the ridge, so that they did not see the train in time to stop. Knowing that he did not have time to cross the track, Mr. Bader tried to turn around, but his wagon tipped over and the engine struck him, breaking some ribs and injuring his hands and legs. Mr. Bader is now in a critical condition. Mrs. Bader was not injured. On account of the obstruction to view coming down Rhine street this is considered a very dangerous crossing.

From Geneva Advertiser 1 April 1902

In 1829 - Mr. John B. Church,
in overhauling some old family documents came across a bill paid by his father or grandfather at the Geneva Hotel.  Of course, that was somewhat before our time.  The earliest proprietor of that hotel we knew was Charles Seelye, about 1848.  The Hygienic Institute covers the ground of the old Geneva Hotel.  Here is the bill, and compare it with the bill of any first-class hotel of the present time:
Judge Church,
    To Geneva Hotel, Dr.
Twelve meals for self, wife and sons, 4 beds . . .  $4.75
Congress water . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .       .38
Wine .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .      .13
5 meals, two beds for driver . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .     1.50
Horses at hay and oats . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .     1.50
Rec'd Payment                                                     $8.26

Sept. 28, 1829     S. HEMENWAY,  by Newkirk

From Ontario County Journal 4 April 1902

Naples, N. Y. -  Charles Acheson
was accidentally struck in the face by the edge of a sharp axe while cutting telephone poles. The axe glanced with great force, and had Mr. Acheson been an inch nearer the blow would have been fatal. As it was, Mr. Acheson was felled to the ground unconscious. The gash was diagonally across the nose, about a quarter of an inch from the left eye. The injured man is doing well.

Ionia, N. Y. - Mrs. Kate Dawson fell down the stairs at her residence Monday morning, breaking several ribs, and it is feared, sustaining internal injuries, and she is in a precarious condition. Her daughter, Mrs. Frank Wood, is caring for her.

From Ontario Chronicle 9 April 1902

Naples, N. Y. -
As Carm North, Thomas Doolittle, Tony Quinn and Harry Woodard were sawing with a portable mill yesterday morning at Gulick, about five miles west of Naples village, the boiler exploded, quite severely injuring all four. Doolittle was struck on the head and shoulder and was unconscious from 9 until 11 o'clock. Tony Quinn was badly scalded, and pieces of flesh came off. North and Woodard were not so badly injured. The engine was thrown back where the saw was. Doubts are entertained about Quinn's recovery. The engine was an old one that had been condemned.

On Thursday evening the National Protective Legion installed officers as follows: President, James H. Cameron; vice-president, George Nicholson; past president, Smith C. Fuller; secretary, A. M. Smith; treasurer, Charles Adams; chaplain, Mrs. M. E. Pierson; conductor, Miss Minnie VanArsdale; assistant conductor, Miss Julia Farnum; inside guard, Perry Pierce; sentinel, Folger Fellows; trustees, Charles Mattern, W. H. Townsend, C. H. Hawkins.

From Ontario County Journal 11 April 1902

George West, Jr.,
an employee of Manager S. C. McKechnie at the Grand Opera house, fell through a trap door at the opera house yesterday, a distance of 16 feet, and fractured both bones of the right arm near the wrist. His hip was also injured. He was treated at the Beahan hospital.

On Monday, Mrs. James Whitmore came into the police station in an excited manner, her clothes dripping wet, and asked that Mrs. May Wilson, who occupies part of a double house with her on West avenue, be arrested. The women had quarreled and Mrs. Whitmore declared that Mrs. Wilson had drenched her by turning the hose on her. Officer Mulligan went to the scene of the trouble, but found everything as quiet as the cemetery across the road. After repeated requests to be admitted, he broke in a door. Mrs. Wilson was found inside and arrested. She will appear for examination today.

From Geneva Advertiser 15 April 1902

About Old Settlers - Mr. Jonathan H. Wilder says that on Castle street and the Castle road there is not one old family left between the Parker home and his own home who lived there seventy years ago.  All are dead or moved away.  His grandfather, Elijah Wilder, came from Connecticut to Bristol in the year 1790, and bought the farm on the Castle road in 1793.  It has been in the family ever since. Elijah Wilder 2d succeeded the first, and the latter's death in 1867, while on a visit to Allegany county, the farm descended to the present owner, who will be eighty years old next July.  It is a long record, nearly 110 years ownership by one family.  

He is right, too, about the other homes.  Many of them have changed hands several times.  William Smith is one of the oldest residents on the street, coming to Geneva in 1843, but locating up there some years later, near 1850 if we remember right. Further down the street is the home of Aaron Young, which is now owned by his grandson, Wm. L. Young, and occupied by his mother, the widow of John D. Young.

It is pleasant to have a minute's talk with the old settlers over the past.  It is not news, of course; but what is life unless we can occasionally recall the past and connect it with the present?

From Geneva Advertiser 22 April 1902

Mr. Warren Reed,
a life-long resident of the town of Seneca, on the turnpike road, now past eighty years of age, has been confined to his home since last October with nervous prostration.  It was always a stormy week when he did not show up in town at least once, but it is probable that he may not come again.  He has one son and one daughter, the latter with her husband now working the farm.

From Ontario Chronicle 23 April 1902

Naples, N. Y. - Fisher Morehouse,
of this place, is probably the first person in the county of Ontario to build an automobile. After nearly a year's endeavor he has succeeded in turning out a single passenger machine weighing only 160 pounds, that will have a speed of eight miles per hour. It is propelled by a small gasoline engine. Mr. Morehouse is a carriage maker, and after much thought, he started the machine which has taken him a year to build during his spare hours. It has pneumatic tires and the body of the vehicle is of natural finished wood. Mr. Morehouse now says that he thinks that he can build another machine that will have greater speed. His auto is now seen nearly every evening on the streets of Naples where the builder enjoys himself speeding.

From Ontario County Journal 25 April 1902

Mrs. Amy Hawley,
who resides with her daughter, Mrs. E. C. Jones, Chapin street, fell over some obstruction on the floor of one of the rooms on Wednesday, and suffered a fracture of one shoulder at the joint. She was attended by Dr. F. P. Warner.

Naples, N. Y. -  Hollis J. Tyler,
who is now 74 years old, met with an accident which came near being fatal. While plowing with a raw western team, a hired man driving them, they bolted, and Mr. Tyler, to stop them, ran to their heads, but was unable to control them. They pulled him down under their feet and jerked him about. Finally he became entangled in the harness and they rapidly dragged him 10 rods over the rough ground. He is bruised and strained and can scarcely move. Mr. Tyler was as active as a boy and his enforced retirement is very trying.

From Geneva Daily Times 29 April 1902

Augustus W. Brewer,
a core maker at the Herendeen Mfg. Company's works, sustained painful injuries at 11:30 o'clock this forenoon, while at work.  His right cheek bone was crushed.  Brewer, assisted by several fellow employes, was lowering a section of a boiler to a truck by means of an airlift.  One of the clamps that held the bar to which the lift was attached slipped off the end of the bar.  The weight of the section pulled the other end of the bar down, and the loose end flew upward quickly. The end of the bar struck Brewer on the right cheek, tearing the flesh and crushing the cheek bone.  The coremaker was rendered unconscious for a few minutes, but soon regained his senses.  The City hospital ambulance was called and the injured man was removed to his home at 51 Pulteney street.  Dr. Charles D. McCarthy was called and dressed the man's injuries.

From Geneva Advertiser 29 April 1902

John Welch, Olin Laughlin
and Patrick Corcoran, of Geneva, were arrested yesterday and confined to jail at this place over night for throwing stones at one of the trolley cars at Border City and attacking the conductor and motorman Sunday night. The trial came off before Justice Kuney this morning and all pleaded guilty.  Welch and Laughlin were $10 or ten days in jail and Corcoran $15 or fifteen days.

From Geneva Daily Times 30 April 1902

George Ormand
probably had a narrow escape from injury at 11 o'clock this forenoon, in the back yard of his home, in Main street.  Mr. Ormand stepped on a cistern cover.  The cover gave way and he was precipitated to the bottom of the well.  There was no water in the cistern but the bottom was covered with quicksand to a considerable depth, and Mr. Ormand sank in it up to his waist.  His shoulders were several feet from the top of the cistern and was practically helpless. Ormand's cries for help brought assistance.  By means of a rope and with several minutes of hard work he was extricated from the cistern.

From Ontario County Chronicle 30 April 1902

Farmington, N. Y. -
Prairie street is the name given a lonely road near the east line of the town of Macedon and Farmington. The neighborhood has a rough record and an occurrence on Sunday morning of last week will keep up its reputation. "Wild Jack" Mahaney, a notorious character, went to his father's home and smashed in the door, threatening to kill both his parents. His father, an old man of 75 years, escaped to a neighbors, but "Wild" Jack, finding his mother, began to pound and kick her, all the time declaring his intention to kill her. His father came back and implored his son not to kill his mother and "Wild Jack", after pounding both his parents and knocking their heads together, left for parts unknown. A warrant was sworn out before Justice of the Peace, A. B. Katkamier, but "Wild Jack" cannot be found.

From Victor Herald 2 May 1909

On Monday night shortly after nine o'clock, Joseph Farrell of this village was found lying near the West Shore tracks at Fairport in an unconscious condition. His clothing was nearly torn from his body and he was covered with bruises and cuts. Internal injuries were feared. He was carried to the Osburn House and a physician summoned. Later he was taken to Rochester and placed in St. Mary's Hospital where he now lies making a slow recovery. A telephone message received this morning states that he is resting easily but will be fortunate if he is able to leave the hospital in less than two weeks. It is supposed that Farrell, who had been around Fairport village Monday afternoon, attempted to board a freight train for Rochester and was thrown to the ground with terrific force thus accounting for his pitiable condition when found.

No less than four of the Rochester papers have published "Joe's" obituary since Tuesday. He was reported to have died at the City Hospital on Tuesday morning, Tuesday night and Wednesday morning. As a matter of fact he never was in the City Hospital. Wednesday's Post-Express contained a hair-raising tale of his death and the spiriting away of his body and intimated that the Coroner would unearth strange and horrible things if he investigated the affair. All this time, Farrell, the cause of all this excitement, was getting well as rapidly as could be expected and receiving calls from his brothers and other friends.

From Ontario County Journal 2 May 1902

Gorham, N. Y. -  Joseph Hershey
and Mrs. L. M. Orcutt had a narrow escape from being seriously injured on the evening of April 23 on their return from a drive about 9:30 o'clock. On driving in the barn, the horse became frightened and began to back, throwing the occupants out, injuring Mr. Hershey to some extent and breaking the carriage badly. At his age, 88 years, the shock was so great that he has been confined to his house for several days. Mrs. Orcutt escaped with a few bruises.

From Victor Herald 9 May 1902

Bristol, N. Y. - Mrs. Marcia Reed,
who has recently returned from a winter's stay in Rochester, entertained the following ladies at tea last Friday: Mrs. Harrison Marble of North Bloomfield, Mrs. Wm. Nudd, Mrs. Frank Daniels, Mrs. George Gilbert and Mrs. Henry Tubbs.

From Ontario County Journal 9 May 1902

Rushville, N. Y. - 
On Saturday last, while the team of Emory Green were standing at the feed mill, they became frightened at the whistle and ran north to Main street, crossed that to the yard of Miss Franc McDonald, where they turned as they reached the house, taking with them the corner column from the porch. They then started down the sidewalk, plunged over a six-foot bank, into the street and home. As they were harnessed to a heavy lumber wagon, it is remarkable that no damage was done to the horses, harness or wagon.

From Ontario County Chronicle 14 May 1902

Canadice, N. Y. - Fayette Huff
met with quite a runaway accident the other day when coming from Livonia where he had been drawing lumber. A bolt came out of the wagon causing the front part of the wagon to run onto the horses. They became frightened and ran for about two miles, leaving Mr. Huff with a sprained hand to gather up what was left behind. One of the horses was hurt some; but this is not all. Last Monday morning he lost a fine three-year old colt, making six horses he has lost during the past year. It is hoped he will have better luck in the future.

Phelps, N. Y. - John Woodhouse, a farmer residing near the cape, was the victim of a very painful accident a few days ago. He was engaged in loading hay, and when the load was finished he was about to fasten the binding pole, when it broke and fell to the ground. Mr. Woodhouse lost his balance and was thrown from the load. He fell in such a manner as to strike on the ragged edge of the pole, which penetrated his left side.

Naples, N. Y. - At a meeting of the Naples Grape Growers' Association Saturday afternoon the following officers were elected for the year:  C. W. Watkins, president; T. G. Granby, corresponding secretary; C. Klingenberger, recording secretary; Lester Story, treasurer; Jacob Fox, John Belles, William Berger, executive committee.

William E. Gilbert, of this village, who served three years in the Philippine war, is anxious to hear from all Ontario county soldier boys who have returned from the Philippines with a view to organizing a county association. He may be addressed 13 Washington street, Canandaigua.

From Geneva Daily Times 15 May 1902

Mrs. George E. Durkee
of 72 Madison street fell into an unprotected ditch in Madison street last night and was severely injured.  The ditch is in front of the Harris property on that street.  It was said today that until recently there had been a plank across the ditch, and that Mrs. Durkee supposed it to be still there when she attempted to cross last night.  Mrs. Durkee was assisted to her home and a physician was summoned.  No bones were broken but it is feared that she has sustained internal injuries.

From Geneva Daily Times 19 May 1902

While riding her wheel on lower Exchange street Saturday afternoon, Alva Davis, of Milton street, was run down by the delivery wagon of Daniel Lynch, the Castle street grocer.  The wheel of the wagon passed over one of the little girl's legs and damaged the bicycle.  It is said she was not seriously injured.

From Geneva Daily Times 19 May 1902

John H. Gerrity
was slightly injured at his home in Exchange street this morning.  Mr. Gerrity arose at 6 o'clock to go to the St. James hotel where he is employed.  While going down stairs he fell, striking his head against the stairway.  The force of the fall stunned him and cut a slight gash in his head.  Dr. C. D. McCarthy, who was called, dressed the injury.  Mr. Gerrity was able to be on duty again this afternoon.

From Geneva Advertiser 20 May 1902

Last Friday Mrs. Willard N. Smith had the bodies of her husband and son, Horatio, transferred from the cemetery at Clifton Springs to Geneva's beautiful Glenwood, and there they will repose near the graves of hundreds of his old-time friends, those who knew him so well in the business as well as the social walks of life.

Master John Wallace, son of Frank Wallace, while riding his wheel to Oaks Corners last Saturday afternoon, met with a severe accident. His wheel ran into a deep rut and he was thrown to the ground striking upon the front of his left shoulder in such a manner as to break his collar bone. He was three miles away, and walked that distance to his home before he could get attention. The injury is quite serious.

From Ontario County Journal 23 May 1902

On Saturday Mrs. Margaret McBride, of Fort Hill avenue, crushed two fingers of her left hand so severely that Dr. M. R. Carson found it necessary to amputate them. The accident was caused by a window falling upon her hand.

From Geneva Advertiser 27 May 1902

Yesterday afternoon John Wrand, employed at the optical works, got his hand caught in a saw, and the thumb and first finger were cut off clean from the hand.  Dr. Lyttle was called, and attended him, but the hand bled so terribly that he fainted, and he was a long time unconscious.  The full particulars as to how it occurred have not reached us.

From Ontario County Chronicle 28 May 1902

Clifton Springs, N. Y. -
A lively runaway occurred in this village on Thursday afternoon. The horse belonging to August Schwing, while coursing down East Hill was frightened by the harness breaking. Miss Delia Stevens had crossed the cross walk between A. Brown's and M. A. Hosford's, and was going into Hosford's store, when the animal pushed her through a large glass window. She was badly cut, but the horse escaped injury. Miss Stevens was soon removed to her home and under the care of Dr. Archer is slowly improving.

From Ontario County Journal 30 May 1902

Hopewell Center, N. Y. - John Mahan
is confined to the house with a broken leg. He was working in the field on Friday when his horses became frightened and ran away. Mr. Mahan was thrown to the ground and the front wheel of the loaded wagon passed over he leg above the ankle.

From Ontario County Chronicle 4 June 1902

Quite a serious accident occurred at the residence of Mr. and Mrs. S. E. Budd Sunday night. It seems that Mrs. Budd's father, John Benham of Hopewell, near Canandaigua, is visiting there and during the night he got up, became dizzy, fell and broke his right hip at the joint. Mr. Benham is eighty-six years of age, but notwithstanding that he is doing nicely. Newark Union

From Geneva Daily Times 6 June 1902

Henry S. Freshour,
formerly of this city and a veteran of the Civil war, has been granted a pension of $12 per month.  Mr. Freshour is at present at the Bath soldiers home.

From Victor Herald 6 June 1902

Two Victor girls, Miss Mary Preston and Miss Ina Finucan, had a narrow escape from a serious accident on Tuesday afternoon. They had been attending the High School and were driving to their homes, a few miles east of the village. A short distance east of the village, a bolt broke, letting the whiffletrees fall about the animal's heels. It at once started to run, and Miss Preston was in some manner drawn over the dashboard under the carriage, which passed over her, fortunately doing her no injury. Miss Finucan remained in the carriage until East Victor was reached, when she jumped out without harm to herself. The horse ran some distance further, when the carriage collided with a telegraph pole, and was practically wrecked.

From Geneva Advertiser 10 June 1902

A son of the late Elihu M. Morse of Canandaigua was on the Island of Martinique and witnessed the second eruption of Mr. Pelee.  He is a reporter on the staff of the N. Y. Herald.  He describes it as a fearful sight.

From Geneva Daily Times 12 June 1902

George Bush,
a Civil war veteran of this city, has been granted an increased pension of $10 per month.

From Victor Herald 13 June 1902

West Bloomfield, N. Y. - Miss Julia Sullivan
had a most fortunate escape from what might have been a serious accident last week Monday afternoon. Miss Julia, with her sister, Anna, had called at a neighbor's, William Lancer's. The latter was in the house at the time, when a hay-press came along and frightened the horse, which was fastened to a fence. The animal pulled the fence over it so it fell over onto Miss Sullivan in such a manner that she was powerless to get out without assistance. A broken thumb and other slight bruises were all the injuries she received. Her many friends regret it is as serious as it is, but rejoice more that it was no worse.

From Ontario County Journal 13 June 1902

Fred Lathrop,
who is employed on the new hospital, had a narrow escape from death on Tuesday. He was working on the ground when a wheelbarrow of bricks fell from the second story, striking him on the head. His head was badly cut and bruised. He was unconscious for some time. The same day, Douglas Witherworth, while at work on the new Methodist church, fell and sustained a dislocation and fracture of the left elbow and also a fracture of the wrist.

From Geneva Daily Times 17 June 1902

Mrs. Giles Parker
was operated upon for a cancer of the left breast this morning at the City hospital.  The operation was performed by a Buffalo surgeon, assisted by Dr. Mary Jennings of this city.  The operation was said to be successful and the patient is doing nicely.

From Geneva Advertiser 17 June 1902

Theodore Duffin,
passed his 64th birthday on the 12th June, and his colored friends, to the number of about forty, gave him a banquet at his rooms in Union Alley that night. They had a great layout, and wound up with card playing, music, speeches and story telling. Theodore is an old warhorse among his people, and while he was in good health, kept his end up in all their sports.

From Geneva Daily Times 18 June 1902

A lively runaway occurred yesterday afternoon in North Genesee street.  A team attached to a lumber wagon became frightened by a train and became unmanageable.  The team threw Mr. Norton out in front of Van Tassel's grocery.  He was uninjured. The horses were caught at the corner of North and Genesee streets.  No damage was done.

From Ontario County Journal 20 June 1902

Gorham, N. Y. -  Mr. and Mrs. Johnathan Covert
had a narrow escape from be asphyxiated from coal gas on Tuesday night. Mrs. Covert has been bed-ridden for years, and was the first to notice the gas. Mr. Covert managed to reach for a bell and aroused a neighbor, Mrs. Buckalew, who came to their assistance. Drs. Allen and Stevenson were hastily summoned, and by their aid, the aged couple were soon out of danger. Both being over 80 years of age, they were in a very weakened condition.

On Saturday, at the home of Melvin Pierce, in this town, was held the fourteenth annual reunion of the Carpenter family. Shortly after noon, 87 names were registered. Dinner was served on the lawn, after which the children entertained the guests with music and recitations. The election of officers resulted as follows: President, Richard M. Allen; vice-president, Arthur Carpenter; secretary, Mrs. O. L. Simmons; committee on arrangements for the next reunion, Frank Parker, Elmer D. Hall and John Curtis; committee on programme, Miss Edna Standish, Mrs. Morris Kelly and Mrs. Eleanor B. Simmons. An invitation was extended by Mr. and Mrs. Daniel McIntosh to hold the next reunion at their home on June 13, 1903. Three deaths have occurred in the family during the past year: Jan. 6, at Allen's Hill, Mary B. Allen; Feb. 2, at Greeley, Col., Benjamin Horton, and on May 5, at Farmington, Mrs. Lottie Stephenson.

From Ontario County Chronicle 25 June 1902

Shortsville, N. Y. - Clinton E. Latting
went Friday afternoon to repair a piano for Mrs. Louis McLouth. The work took more time than he expected and his horse got restless, and thinking supper time was at hand, broke away from the fastenings and started for home, some five miles away. Some boys saw the horse alone on the road, telling Mr. L., who did some sprinting that warmed him up, but the horse was walking and only got a mile or so before overtaken. No great damage was done, but a chain and lock will secure the horse hereafter when unknown repairs are on hand.

From Geneva Daily Times 28 June 1902

Miss J. M. Darrow,
an aged lady who resides about four miles west of this city, was painfully and possibly fatally injured yesterday by being thrown from a buggy caused by the horse attached to the vehicle becoming frightened by a large gasoline automobile.  Mrs. Darrow was returning home from this city in a buggy attached to a usually steady horse.  Mrs. Darrow was alone at the time.  She had reached a point about half a mile east of her farm when she encountered a large automobile. The machine was coming toward her at a high rate of speed.  Miss Darrow threw up her hand as a signal for the chauffeur to stop the auto. The latter brought the machine to a standstill within a few feet of Miss Darrow's rig.

The automobile contained a man and a woman.  The former got out of the carriage and started to go and lead Miss Darrow's horse by the machine when the horse gave a lunge backwards.  Miss Darrow was thrown under the overturned buggy. The horse was held by the automobilist while several nearby witnesses of the accident carefully extricated the injured woman from her dangerous position.  When she was gotten out it was found that she had sustained a bad fracture of the right upper arm. A gash eight inches long was found in the left leg between the knee and ankle.

The automobile continued west to Seneca Castle where Dr. Sargent was notified.  The physician went directly to the Darrow farm where the injured woman had shortly before been taken.  Miss Darrow was found to be suffering considerably from shock aside from the severe injuries sustained.  Dr. Sargent is unable as yet to determine the seriousness of her injuries.  The injured woman is 78 years old.  She is an aunt to Charles Darrow of this city, and is widely known here.  On account of her advanced age, it is feared the accident may so prostrate her that she may not recover.

The name of the automobile driver was not learned.  He complied with the law in stopping when Miss Darrow gave the signal and it was said that he is not responsible for the unfortunate accident.  Whether the motor was stopped after the machine came to a standstill could not be learned.  The automobilist passed through Geneva yesterday forenoon.

Return to Ontario County Homepage

Copyright © 2004-15, Ontario County NYGenWeb and each contributor and author of materials herein. All rights reserved.