From Ontario County Journal 1 January 1892

Bristol Springs, N. Y. - Mr. and Mrs. Isaac Trembley
were pleasantly surprised on the 26th, by their children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren, to the number of twenty-five, it being the celebration of Mr. Trembley's 77th birthday. Although his life is an uncertainty, Mr. Trembley looks as though he might live to see several birthdays yet and we hope he may.

From Naples Record 6 January 1892

The children of Mrs. Simon Smith and a few friends met at her home in this village on New Year's day to enjoy one of those old-fashioned New Year's gatherings. All could not be present on account of illness. Those not present were Mrs. J. P. Richardson, of Naples, Mrs. J. C. Spencer of Perkinsville; and W. H. Smith, of Rutherford, N. J., who was detained at home on account of the illness of Mrs. Smith's mother, who has since died. After a sumptuous dinner, and a very social chat, all bid each other good bye, to meet, should lives be spared, on next New Year's day with Mother again.

From Ontario County Journal 8 January 1892

Rushville, N. Y. -
The annual meeting of the Rushville Clydesdale Breeders' Association was held at the Park House on Monday afternoon. Besides the regular business of the society, officers were elected for the ensuing year as follows: President - Daniel Emory; Secretary - E. B. Vorhees; Treasurer - W. H. Savage; Directors - W. R. Fitch, Z. H. Green, Elmer Wager, S. B. Douglass and Emmet A. Stearns.

From Ontario County Journal 15 January 1892

The late Ephraim Blodgett, of this village, who died at the ripe old age of 96 years, was the last of a family of seven children of Ludin Blodgett, who settled in the town of Gorham in 1806. The united ages of the seven children, four men and three women, amounts to 615 years. Three of Mr. Blodgett's brothers were pensioners in the war of 1812.

From Ontario County Journal 5 February 1892

John B. Classey, Sr.,
father of J. B. Classey, Jr., and Fred S. Classey, and one of the most widely known of our citizens, was seriously injured Tuesday morning by a bale of hay accidentally falling on him while he was passing through the Tracy House stables. The hay was rolled down from the mow and struck him on the back of the neck. Mr. Classey is receiving every medical aid, but it is feared that his back is injured, and owing to his advanced age, serious results are apprehended.

From Ontario County Times 10 February 1892

Canadice, N. Y. -  Squier Coykendall's
house burned early last Thursday morning. The fire as supposed caught from sparks having dropped from pipe in fireplace chimney to fire board. The family, consisting of Mr. Coykendall and wife and two children and Mr. and Mrs. Henry McCrossen, were asleep in the upper part of the house and were not awakened till the fire had gained such headway that they could not go down stairs. Mr. Coykendall threw a bed out of the window, put out his little boy on the bed, who went to the barn and got a rope with which the rest of the family descended from the chamber window with but few clothes and without a stocking among all of them. The only goods saved were a few thrown out of the chamber. The house was insured for $800 and contents for $200.

Naples, N. Y. -  Among those who have been confined to their homes with the grip, and have recovered sufficiently to be out, are Rev. Mr. Millard, Hon. C. S. Lincoln, Geo. R. Granby, S. J. Parrish, Mr. and Mrs. E. C. Clark, Miss Helen Lyon, Miss Anna Manning, and Mr. and Mrs. Melvin H. Davis. Hon. E. P. Babcock, Mrs. George Crocker, Mrs. John Hatch, Mrs. Helen Barker and others are still confined to the house.

From Geneva Gazette 12 February 1892

Last Monday, Thos. Carroll's five-year-old daughter was injured quite badly.  While seated in the rear of a milk sleigh, a spirited team came up the road, and just as the horses were opposite the sleigh, one of them kicked viciously striking the little one in the head, inflicting an ugly scalp wound.  Several stitches were taken in the cut, which, though not serious, is quite painful.

From Ontario County Times 24 February 1892

Shortsville, N. Y. - 
Last Friday night Thomas Kelley, who lives near Clifton Springs, while suffering temporarily from indulgence in the intoxicating bowl, started to drive home via the railroad track, and only discovered his mistake when his horse and cutter were upon the railroad bridge over the outlet. Help was summoned, the horse was unhitched from the cutter, and while endeavoring to turn him around to lead him back to terra firma, he lost his balance and fell from the bridge, turned a complete somersault and landed in a snow bank twenty feet below. Strange to relate he suffered no serious injury, and after a day's rest was driven home by his drunken owner.

From Geneva Gazette 4 March 1892

Mr. Wm. McPherson,
who made the Stanley district enumeration of Seneca, found four inhabitants whose age exceeds 90 years -- : viz.  David Barron, 93; Mrs. Catherine Huag, 95; Mrs. Anna Shannon, 95; and Michael Flynn, 96.  Has any other district of one thousand population an equal number of nonagenarians?

From Geneva Gazette 11 March 1892

Garrett Courtright,
a worthy and deserving colored man, received notice this week that his claim for increased pension from $4 to $12 per month had been allowed .

From Ontario County Journal 1 April 1892

Cheshire, N. Y. -
On Wednesday, March 9, a surprise was given by the ladies of Cheshire to Mrs. Laura Chamberlain. A goodly number of the ladies assembled at her home in the afternoon to congratulate her upon its being her 90th birthday. A couple of hours were spent in social intercourse and talking over old times and the great changes that have taken place here within her recollection. Mrs. Chamberlain retains her faculties remarkably, being able to walk around the village alone until about two months ago, and her mind is as clear as most persons at sixty.

From Ontario County Journal 22 April 1892

Manchester, N. Y. - Bird Farnsworth,
who met with a serious accident causing the dislocation and fracture of his ankle, besides the fracture of ribs and some internal injuries, by falling of a horse upon him while plowing recently, is doing as well as can be expected, under the care of Dr. Pratt.

From Geneva Gazette 13 May 1892

Mrs. Ami Whitney
of Flint Creek went to Rochester a few days ago for treatment of a felon on a finger of her right hand. The disease had assumed such malignity that the surgeon consulted advised amputation, and the operation was submitted to and performed last Monday.  Mrs. Whitney will remain until it be determined that no further operation is necessary.

From Geneva Gazette 27 May 1892

Mrs. Ulysses Warner
of Orleans has had a narrow escape from death by poisoning.  Mistaking a liniment for outward application that contained a portion of the deadly hellebore for a preparation she had been dosing with to cure rheumatism, she swallowed a potion of the former before discovering her mistake.  The wrong dose began to take effect while she was enroute to Geneva with her husband.  She was immediately placed under Dr. Covert's care, who by using a stomach pump and antidotes eventually rescued her from danger; but for three or four days she remained in a critical condition.

From Ontario County Journal 10 June 1892

On Thursday evening, while Mrs. Sadler, wife of W. H. Sadler, residing north of the village on the Homer Chase farm, was riding on Main street, her carriage was overturned and she thrown heavily to the pavement, sustaining quite serious injuries about the head and face. Her daughter and driver were also thrown to the ground but were not badly injured.

As Nicholas Stevenson, the colt breaker, was driving a pair of young horses up Main street last Monday afternoon, a horse which he was leading behind his buggy became frightened and jumped upon the vehicle, damaging it to a considerable extent. The team broke away and tore up Main street at a mad pace. They did no damage until they overtook a carriage belonging to F. H. Hamlin, Esq., which was conveying Mrs. Geo. N. Williams to a meeting at the Orphan Asylum. They struck this vehicle in such a manner as to overturn it and throw themselves to the ground. Mrs. Williams and the driver were both thrown out but luckily escaped injury.

From Victor Herald 11 June 1892

Clarence F. Thompson,
of Fishers, more familiarly known as "Poodle," made a desperate, but ineffectual, attempt at suicide on Monday afternoon between 5 and 6 o'clock. He had been to Canandaigua that day, and when he returned was strongly under the influence of the "Sleeping Beauty" bug juice, or other combination. He appeared to be very much depressed in mind and said he was tired of life and was going to make an end of himself, showing a box of rough on rats that he had. He went down the creek below Brownell's mill, and when he came back he said he had taken some of the poison, but no one believed it, as they thought it only bluffing on his part. The work train, in charge of conductor John Hall, was heard coming in from the west, and as it neared the station, Thompson was seen to throw himself across the track, his hands tightly clinching the rail on the opposite side. Every effort was made to stop the train, but its headway and the nearness of the man on the track made this an impossibility, and the man seemed doomed to certain destruction. Persons who saw the imminent peril in which the man had placed himself, rushed to his rescue, and he was pulled off the track but the fraction of a second before the engine passed over the place where he had lain. The poison he had taken began, by this time, to get in its work, and he was put in an empty freight car near by and vigorous measures used to relieve his stomach from its fearful load of whiskey and rat poison, but not before the victim was taken with convulsions and with rigidity of the muscles of the neck, while the heart action was increased to nearly one hundred and fifty beats per minute. The prompt evacuation of his stomach gave relief and the man was soon out of danger.

In the meantime, Dr. Doane, of Pittsford had been telegraphed for, reaching there soon after the man had been relieved, and only left some medicine to quiet his nerves. He was taken to the hotel, where he was watched by two men all night, and Tuesday morning, on complaint for intoxication, was arrested and taken before Esquire H. P Fisher, where he plead guilty in the charge. The sentence was suspended and the prisoner paroled during good behavior.

From Ontario County Journal 24 June 1892

Last evening at about half past nine o'clock a large crowd was seen collecting near the corner of Main and Coach streets, and a Journal reporter got on the spot in time to meet Officers Booth and Dedrick, who were accompanying William Junior and wife to the lockup. It seems William appropriated $3 of his wife's earning to his own use, and when asked for the same he choked and pounded her. Junior was placed in a cell and Mrs. Junior was discharged to appear at 2 o'clock this afternoon.

From Ontario County Journal 1 July 1892

Academy, N. Y. - Edgar Coy
, while returning from Canandaigua on Saturday last with a load of lumber, fell from his load, and the wagon wheel passed over one of his legs, breaking it at the ankle. He was carried to the office of Dr. Hutchens, who reduced the fracture and sent him on home, but not rejoicing. It is a bad accident for Mr. Coy, especially at this season of the year.

Bristol, N. Y. - A pleasant gathering was held at the home of Mrs. Billings H. Case on Wednesday afternoon, June 22, it being a neighbor social. The ladies present, numbering twenty-six, were as follows: the Mrs. Ephraim Dunham, Seymour Case, Thomas Phinney, Benjamin Bartlett, Richard Bartlett, Jerome Case, George Everett, Dennis Phillips, George Gregg, Gooding Barringer, Phebe (Case) Gooding of Gooding, Mich., Edward Murray, Albert Johnson, George Simmons, Garrett Wheaton, Frank Hulbert, Herbert Case, Fred Tones, Henry Allen, William Allen, Henry Olmstead, Walter Acheson, Charles Fletcher, Constant Simmons, Miss Wilcox and Miss Marcia Codding. Besides these were seven children. From one family four generations were represented. The visit was enjoyed, the afternoon passing away too soon; and as we separated, we felt as though there would be a more friendly feeling if neighborhood visits were indulged in more frequently. It brought together strangers that resided within the limits of our own school district.

Shortsville, N. Y. -  A family reunion was held at the residence of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Knapp, in Hopewell, last Saturday. The children and grandchildren, twenty-four in number, were all present. Ed. Knapp and family, Frank Heath and family of this place, and Walter H. Knapp and family of Canandaigua, were present. The remainder of the children and grandchildren are staying at Mr. Knapp's this summer. It was a very happy reunion. After dinner they all assembled on the lawn and were photographed by Fred Titus of this place.

From Ontario County Journal 8 July 1892

On Saturday, Andrew Harris, aged 76 years, of this village worked all day in the McKechnie woods northwest of this village. After the day's work was done, he sat down on the ties of the "Peanut" track to enjoy a rest and smoke before walking into town. The flyer due here at 6:50 came along, and before Harris could get out of the way, the steps of the forward car struck him in the back, rendering him insensible. He was placed in the baggage car and brought to this village, and had so far recovered as to be able to walk from the car. Beyond a few bruises, he is not injured.

From Ontario County Journal 15 July 1892

(Note: in newspaper dated 22 July, the name was correctly changed to SCOTTY REED)

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - Last xxx George Hurd went to Victor, and after imbibing somewhat too freely, proceeded to make things interesting for the people of that village. After quite a skirmish, in which "Scotty" seems to have had things all his own way, he was arrested, and bail from friends failing, was sent up for twenty days. It may be sport to feel that one is a terror to a community, but the novelty of the feeling must soon wear off, and the constituted authorities usually get their work in in the end.

From Geneva Gazette 15 July 1892

Harvey Rice
of Phelps, an old Genevan, was thrown from a wagon at Flint Creek last Friday and sustained serious injuries, from which it is feared he will never recover.  Mrs. P. F. Bassett, who was with him, fell upon her head and sustained a shock which rendered her unconscious for some time.

From Ontario County Journal 22 July 1892

On Wednesday of last week, Philander Mott, the millionaire farmer and real estate dealer, well-known in Ontario County, met with a severe accident just after he had completed raking up hay on his farm one mile northeast of Phelps. It is said that just as Mr. Mott was leaving the hay field in some way he was thrown from the seat of the horse rake and fell upon the machinery of the rake. He was injured about the body severely, and it will take several days before he will recover. It is fortunate that he was not instantly killed. Geneva Saturday Review

From Geneva Gazette 5 August 1892

William S. Liddiard,
the buttermilk peddler from Stanley, was at Waterloo Wednesday, and being called by a customer across the street, drove his horses over the track directly in front of the electric car which had just started for Seneca Falls. Liddiard's wagon was struck on the side and would have been capsized and smashed, had not Conductor Belles promptly put on the brakes and brought the car to a halt.  Liddiard, with some difficulty, extricated the vehicle which was caught under the front coupler of the car.  He threatened to bring action against the Seneca Electric railway company, claiming that no warning of the approach of the car was given, and that the axle of his wagon was badly sprung by the collision. Conductor Belles claimed that he struck the gong of the car as a warning, and that Liddiard drove carelessly onto the track. 

From Ontario County Journal 5 August 1892

The relatives of Mrs. Mary A. Fisher surprised her last Tuesday with a very pleasant party at the home of Mrs. William Boswell, on Chapin street. It was the sixty-fifth anniversary of Mrs. Fisher's birthday, and twenty-five of her relatives assembled at the above place to do her honor. Felicitations were in order and were given with great heartiness. A supper was served, and handsome gifts bestowed upon the lady for whom the surprise was planned.

From Ontario County Journal 2 September 1892

Last Friday evening as Ernest Parsons was at work at the desk of Wm. Parsons' grocery store, he reached up to one of the handles which operates the cash railway carriages, and as is the custom pulled it down with a violent jerk. The string by which the handle was attached broke, and his hand, carried by the force exerted, went violently toward the desk. At that precise point was a bar in which pins are placed for the filing of sales items. His hand struck this and three of the pins entered his hand quite deeply. For a moment he did not notice the fact, and when he did he had considerable trouble in releasing his hand. Dr. Hawley dressed the hand, which has since caused considerable trouble, and has prevented him from working at the store.

From Geneva Gazette 9 September 1892

On the 8th inst. Mrs. Sophia Arms Van Vranken celebrated her 90th birthday at the residence of her niece, Mrs. J. W. Smith, 196 Main St.  Mrs. Van Vranken first came to Geneva in 1820, and her mind is as bright, her personality as charming and her interest in current events as keen as when she paid her first visit here, traveling by stage from Massachusetts, the home of her Puritan ancestors.

From Ontario County Journal 16 September 1892

Naples, N. Y. - Spencer F. Lincoln,
who graduated with honor from the Cornell law school this summer, has gone to St. Paul, Minn., having engaged with the West Law Publishing company, of that city, to prepare a syllabus of court decisions for law reports.

From Ontario County Journal 28 October 1892
A distressing accident last Sunday befell the wife of Morgan Bement, of Coy street. About four o'clock in the afternoon, as Mrs. Bement was walking along Phoenix street, a short distance from Pleasant street, the rubbers which she wore slipped upon the flagging, wet from the shower of a short time before, and she fell heavily to the sidewalk. She was lifted up and taken to her home. Dr. Hawley was called to attend her. Though it was at first feared that the hip was broken, it has since proved that the only injury was to the muscles of the thigh. Mrs. Bement, though seventy-two years of age, is improving rapidly.

From Geneva Gazette 18 November 1892

The case of Maggie Niece against Moses Griswold, a Naples suit growing out of the excise troubles of a year ago, was tried this week.  The plaintiff asked for damages on account of alleged cruelty of the defendant who, in endeavoring in his capacity as constable to serve a warrant on Mrs. Niece, handled her rather roughly and finally handcuffed her.  After a short deliberation the jury brought in a verdict of "No cause of action."

From Geneva Advertiser-Gazette 7 February 1893

Ran Away Together -
The Canandaigua Journal of September 30, 1892, noted the fact that George Soden, who had lived for some time on Chapin street, that village, had disappeared, leaving his family in some trouble.  News was received last week that his absence was not to be accounted for from any charitable reason.  For some time previous to his disappearance Soden had been infatuated with a former Geneva woman, named Mrs. S. F. Chapin, wife of Dan'l Chapin.  At the time of his disappearance, Mrs. Chapin also left Geneva, although it was at first believed that she had gone to join her husband and children in Rochester.

For some time past, suspicion had seemed almost a certainty that George Soden and Mrs. Chapin left together. This suspicion was finally verified about a week ago, when Soden's mother and stepfather in Geneva received a letter from Mrs. Chapin, postmarked Indianapolis, Ind., stating that if the letter was answered, she would offer information which they would wish. The letter was answered and another received from Mrs. Chapin saying that she and Soden had been living together and conducting the Farmers' Restaurant on Washington street, Indianapolis; that Mr. Soden had recently died and that his body was being kept in a vault. She offered to send the body to Benton, that it might be buried beside that of his father, provided the necessary money be forwarded.

As a matter of precaution, a letter was sent Tuesday to the chief of police of Indianapolis to ascertain the facts were as presented. Up to last evening, no word had been received. Mr. Soden's family have since his abrupt departure from Canandaigua last September, removed to Rochester, where they are now living.  Canandaigua Journal

From Ontario County Journal 10 February 1893

As two gentlemen were walking along Chapin street about 8 o'clock last Saturday evening, they heard groans issuing from the house occupied by Mrs. Calista Marshall. Entering the house, the gentlemen discovered Mrs. Marshall lying upon a couch in the sitting room where she had apparently been resting and had fallen asleep. She was almost asphyxiated by coal gas which filled the room. The windows and doors of the room were quickly thrown open, and Mrs. Marshall soon revived. Her mind, however, was confused, and she could give no coherent account of the occurrence.

The case of Mrs. Isaac Dudley against her husband, for non-support, was to have had a hearing before Justice E. H. Frary Wednesday, but was postponed on account of the inability of plaintiff's attorney, E. W. Gardner, Esq., to attend. Dudley was formerly of Manchester, but went last year over into Wayne county. The plaintiff resides in Canandaigua. Dudley has deposited with Justice Frary $500 for surety. A strange feature of the case consists in the fact that Dudley and his wife, who are English, had lived together twenty-nine years when they separated. As he expressed it to the justice, their tempers, never good, had not improved with age.

From Ontario County Journal 24 February 1893

The sixteen-year old son of William Wesley of South Bristol left his home Tuesday of last week, and nothing has been heard or seen of him since. The boy was not bright, and there is no doubt that he simply strayed. When he left home he was clad, besides the ordinary garments, simply in a cap and a blue frock. Unless he has somewhere found warm shelter and care, which seems improbable, the boy must have perished soon after leaving the warmth of his home. Search began soon after the boy's absence from home was discovered. As many as seventy men from the town were soon engaged in hunting through the entire neighborhood. Telephone messages were being sent about the county. The only tracks discovered were those leading twice across what is called Mill creek, a stream running near his home, and others leading to the barn of a neighbor. The search continued eagerly till Saturday, when it was evidently beyond hope that the boy would be found alive, unless he had somewhere found shelter in a home. William Wesley, the boy's father, who says that his son would only have wandered through lots, carefully avoiding the highway, believes that the boy must have wandered into some gully, and there died of hunger and cold. Others believe it probable that the boy has fallen into Mill creek at some point and drowned. In either case it is doubtful if the body will be discovered until the present severe weather shall have passed away. As an aid to identification of the boy, in case he is not dead but still wandering about somewhere in the country, it is said that the boy, in addition to his imbecility, walks with a stagger as though intoxicated.

Monday morning shortly after 6 o'clock, as H. C. Claudius was entering the cigar closet in his cigar store on Main street to get out some stock for shipment by the early morning train, the lamp which he carried in his hand exploded, setting fire to his clothing and to the stock in the room. Mr. Claudius quickly wrapped himself about with a heavy overcoat, thus stifling the flames. He escaped with light burns upon his face, which carried away his moustache, eyebrows and hair. Before the fire in the room could be quenched, stock to the value of over $350 had been destroyed. The stock was fully covered by insurance with E. Chapin Church.

From Ontario County Journal 10 March 1893

Manchester, N. Y. - Frank Cole
has placed his infant child in the orphan asylum and will start this week for Chicago, where he intends to make his future home. He will take his two older children with him where they will be cared for by his deceased wife's sisters.

From Geneva Gazette 24 March 1893

John Rolan
of Hopewell has been arrested for forgery.  It is alleged that he has been carrying on such criminal operations for more than a year past, using the avails of one forged note to take up at maturity one previously negotiated.  At last a forged note went to protest, and when the endorser was called upon to pay, Rolan's transactions were exposed.  He had obtained in this fraudulent manner upwards of $15,000.

From Geneva Gazette 31 March 1893

Oaks Corners -
A serious and possibly fatal accident happened to Mrs. George Taylor on Wednesday.  Mr. H. Day called to take her to see his daughter, Mrs. John Dillman, who is ill.  In stepping into the carriage her foot caught in her gown. Before she could extricate it, the horse started throwing her down between the wheels, and before Mr. Day could stop him, backed up until he came with full weight upon Mrs. Taylor's chest, almost crushing it and bruising and hurting her in a terrible manner.

From Ontario County Journal 31 March 1893

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - Pat Canaan
is in trouble. Last Saturday afternoon he returned from Canandaigua with a comfortable supply of "old rye" on board. On his way to his home in the swamp, he was passed by his neighbor, Paddy O'Neil, who, from the safe vantage ground of a buggy, began a song, the theme of which referred to a long-standing feud between the Canaans and the O'Neils, which had once given rise to a suit at law. Patrick's temper began to rise, and had reached the boiling point when he reached O'Neil's and found Paddy just emerging ready to do the evening chores. A wordy altercation began, which was interrupted by Paddy's going inside his house. Pat's rage must have been an outlet, and so he began hurling rocks and bricks at the door and windows, demolishing a considerable part of the plate glass. The result was Patrick's arrest on the charge of malicious destruction of property. At his examination, his own confession and the presence in evidence of several boulders taken from the floor of the assaulted house were sufficient to authorize holding Pat for the grand jury. A civil action will also be begun.

A team of horses belonging to Henry Mitchell, of Reed Corners, created much excitement and consternation on Main street Monday morning. Their owner had left them at the mill on Mill street, while he was getting some bags. During his absence, they started and ran up to Phoenix street, where they turned and ran to Main street. Their course was then directly across Main street to the crosswalk in front of the Paul drug store. There they knocked down a hitching post, ran into a horse which was tied, turned into the sidewalk and ran full tilt upon the sidewalk down in front of the Webster House, where they narrowly escaped running over a woman wheeling a baby carriage. At the corner of Bristol street they turned into the road, where they slipped and fell, thus stopping their career.

From Ontario County Journal 7 April 1893

Tuesday forenoon as Horace Elwell and son, residing about a mile and a half from the village on the Sand Hill road, were riding on Howell street, behind a pair of spirited horses, one of which was a colt, the team became frightened at a carpet hanging on a line in the yard in front of Thompson Sutherland's residence. Though Mr. Elwell and his son are both excellent horsemen, they were unable to check the team. In front of the residence of S. C. McKechnie, Mr. Elwell was thrown violently from the wagon, striking upon the stone block. Mr. Elwell was carried to the house of Dr. J. H. France, and Drs. Jewett and  Buell, who were near at the time, were soon at his side. Dr. Buell cared for the case. He found two or three ribs broken and his head severely injured. As it was necessary to move him to his home before inflammation could set in, if at all, the removal was made shortly after noon. Since then his condition has been reported as very serious.

Recently Mrs. S. F. Chapin, who left her home in Geneva last year to elope with George Soden of this place, returned to her husband in Rochester, whither he had removed. He has received her and now they live together.

By a runaway accident on Mason and Bristol streets Tuesday evening, C. H. Puffer and wife, of Beeman street, were thrown from the wagon in which they were riding. Neither were injured. The extent of the damage was a broken wheel.

Tuesday afternoon as G. G. Leiser, with two of his children, was passing between F. W. Kinde's store and that of E. C. Williams, a board blew from the top of the bank building, and, as it fell, struck Mr. Leiser and his daughter. Mr. Leiser's hat was destroyed, and the little girl sustained a scalp wound.

From Geneva Gazette 14 April 1893

Frightened to Death -
Last Saturday afternoon quite a severe hailstorm visited Geneva, lasting only a few minutes however. The larger hail stones were as large as walnuts, and irregular and ragged in shape.  Exposed glass laid horizontally suffered to considerable extent.  When the storm broke upon us, nurserymen were busy with men and teams in the packing fields.  All who could ran to shelter. James Ringer held reins over a fine team belonging to Hammond and Willard.  The pelting hail started this team into a run.  Young Ringer pluckily kept his seat and clung to the lines.  The team ran almost entirely around the field, when suddenly one horse reared high in the air and the next instant fell to the ground and soon expired.  It seems to have been a clear case of death from fright.

From Geneva Gazette 28 April 1893

Barney Kennedy,
of Chapinville, was badly injured a few days ago while attempting to board a passenger train at Canandaigua.  He fell under the wheels of the moving train, and before he could be rescued one foot was crushed and he was otherwise injured.

From Ontario County Journal 28 April 1893

The strong man of Canandaigua, George Freistueck, whose works in the meat market of John Gartland, has backers who wish to pit him in feats of strength against Mervin Thompson, whose muscular exploits were recounted in last week's Journal. If the contest takes place it will be between native strength on the one hand and strength backed by years of training upon the other.

From Ontario County Journal 5 May 1893

Thursday afternoon of last week, George Mosher, of Frost Town, a hamlet of South Bristol, made an assault upon Mortimer Hotchkiss, of the same place, which may have a fatal ending. The circumstances of the case are as follows: Mosher was a tenant on Hotchkiss' farm. An agreement is alleged to have been made, by the terms of which Mosher was to pay his rent in labor for Hotchkiss. The difference in the understanding of the agreement seems to have been the primary cause of trouble, Hotchkiss assuming that the labor was to be performed at any time which he should name while Mosher claimed the right to work at such times as might be to him convenient. One day last week, when Hotchkiss wished Mosher's help, Mosher worked instead for a neighbor named Albert J. Renoldson. Frank Hotchkiss, a son of Mortimer, went to Renoldson's to see Mosher in regard to the matter. They became involved in a fight in which young Hotchkiss received the worst of it. Later, Mortimer Hotchkiss went to Mosher's home, where he found Mosher cleaning out a spring. The spring had been filled up with rocks, a trick which it is alleged was committed by one of the Hotchkiss family. This and previous trouble brought on a wordy controversy in which, so Mosher alleges, Hotchkiss made threatening remarks and gestures. Mosher seized upon a potato fork, and with it struck Hotchkiss several sharp blows. The first blow struck Hotchkiss's arm, and drove the tines through the biceps. Other blows fell upon Hotchkiss's head and body. His skull was fractured and his body lacerated.

Doctors Bell and Weitling of Naples were summoned in attendance, and cared for the injured man. It was at first thought that the injuries must be fatal, but Hotchkiss rallied from the shock, and, at last reports was improving, with a fair chance of complete recovery. One of the strange things in connection with the case is the disclosure of a degree of barbarism prevailing in that neighborhood, which could scarcely be imagined. Mosher has not been arrested, although the brutal nature of the assault was known throughout the neighborhood. A paper published in that vicinity, probably influenced by their lack of care in the matter, even says: "Possibly, the matter will be investigated by the courts." Officer M. J. McPhillips went Wednesday afternoon to look into the facts of the case. Mosher was in the jail last summer, having been arrested on a bench warrant by Officer McPhillips, and convicted of illegal fishing.

From Ontario County Journal 12 May 1893

Naples, N. Y. -
Another liquor suit has begun. Clark A. Niece, who it will be remembered is an old offender, and who was after months of resistance, convicted of selling intoxicating liquor without a license and severely punished, is now accused of still selling the stuff, and was arraigned before Justice McJannett last Saturday. He denies the charge and the case is set down for trial by jury for today. Niece was among those whose applications for license to the new license board were rejected.

From Ontario County Journal 19 May 1893

Rushville, N. Y. -
On Monday, Mrs. Jacob Walton made an attempt upon her life by taking a large dose of chloral and laudanum. The physicians made every effort to preserve her life, but there is little hope of her recovery. Mrs. Walton is the only child of S. C. Boots, a prominent farmer of Potter. It is believed that her mind had become by a severe attack of la grippe with which she had been suffering during the winter.

From Ontario County Journal 2 June 1893

Two colored citizens, William Junior and Abe Lincoln, have applied during the week past for warrants for the arrest of their wives. The former claimed openly and the other implied that his other half had been the better half in a muscular encounter.

From Ontario County Journal 9 June 1893

Last Saturday night, Terence McStravick of Buffalo street, was arrested and taken to the police station for a somewhat peculiar offense. Over a year ago, McStravick let a neighbor, then a residence of the village, take a wagon to shelter it. The wagon was not returned, and when the neighbor's property was sold to pay taxes due, McStravick's wagon was sold with the rest to William Hoffman. McStravick later tried to get the wagon from Hoffman, who promptly refused. McStravick, last Saturday evening, while intoxicated, took an ax, and while Hoffman sat in a buggy on Buffalo street, went out with the intention of destroying the wagon. He became penitent when sober, and having fixed the matter up was let off last evening.

From Victor Herald 10 June 1893

Last Saturday evening, Mark Pomeroy, of Farmington, started from the village for his home, the night was exceedingly dark and all went well till he reached the Bower's crossing. Here he lost his way and finally found himself on the rail road track, and a train coming rapidly from the east. He at once realized his situation and getting out of the buggy took his horse by the head, he had just got off from the west bound track as the Flyer from the east came along and crashed into the buggy which was still on the track. The vehicle was smashed, the horse thrown down and badly cut about the legs, the force of the train completely stripped the buggy and harness from the horse, and he was found wandering on the track in the vicinity of Lovejoy's barn. Mr. Pomeroy was not hurt and managed to make his way back to the highway, he knows not how, he proceeded to Mr. O. D. Herendeen's, who came to the village with him in search of the horse. The engineer stopped the train as soon as he struck the rig, and seeing part of the wrecked carriage on the front of the engine, supposed the occupants were injured. A trainman was sent back and found the horse as stated. It is supposed that Mr. Pomeroy's horse took the part of the road that goes to Brace street and when it came to the crossing followed the track instead of crossing it and was in the cut when the train came along, be it as it may it was a very narrow escape from a fearful death. We hope that no time will be lost in putting the overhead bridge and its approaches in order for use. It may possibly be that the overhead bridge could have been better located than it is, but when it is finished it will be much better with all its imperfections than the present death trap.

From Naples Record 14 June 1893

Honeoye, N. Y. -
As Mr. and Mrs. John Abbey were returning from Honeoye Falls the other day, the horse became frightened and began kicking over the dash board, inflicting a severe flesh wound upon Mrs. Abbey's right limb.

From Geneva Gazette 16 June 1893

The widow of Charles H. Avery, recently deceased, has taken a lease of the Dorsey house on Seneca street and will very soon open it as a lunch house and ice cream parlors.  We bespeak for her, now that she is thrown upon her own resources for a living, a generous patronage.

From Ontario County Journal 30 June 1893

East Bloomfield, N. Y. -
Last Saturday the family of Ashman B. Gauss celebrated the one hundredth anniversary of the day on which was signed the deed that brought the farm now occupied by them into the possession of the family. The farm was purchased by Benjamin Gauss, grandfather of the present owner from William Bacon, Berkshire county, Mass. Ashman Gauss is the oldest lineal descendant. The farm is believed to have been in the continuous possession of one family longer than any other farm in Ontario County.

Last Sunday forenoon, George W. Ellis, residing on Chapin street, while going down the cellar stairway of his home, slipped on a shifting step and fell, striking upon his left wrist. The wrist, which was weak, owing to its having been shot through during the war, was broken by the fall in two places. Dr. James Hawley is attending Mr. Ellis. He says that it will be two months at least before Mr. Ellis will be able to resume work.

From Geneva Advertiser 11 July 1893

The venerable David Barron of Seneca will reach 93 years of age on his next birthday.  He is still in the enjoyment of good health, and his friends hope that he will pull out to an even 100.  The old gentleman does not plow and plant and gather his crops as he did fifty years ago -- he don't have to -- but he knows how it should be done.

From Ontario County Journal 14 July 1893

Detective Long, of Rochester, last Friday arrested John Lucy, a workman employed on the East Main street pavement in that city. Constable Bement of Victor, took Lucy to Victor the same evening. The reason of his arrest was his alleged desertion of his wife and son, nor fourteen years of age, who live in Victor. When questioned regarding the matter during his confinement at Rochester, Lucy acknowledged that he had left the wife and child seven years ago, but curtly stated his defense in this Bowery English: "My wife turn me inter de street, and so I said ter myself, I'll let 'er run 'er own shebang."

From Ontario County Journal 11 August 1893

Bristol, N. Y. -
The other day Mrs. Lucetta Jackson was visiting at her niece's, Mrs. Eugene Wales. During the visit Mr. Wales entertained his aunt with a little violin playing, one piece being "The Devil's Dream." Mrs. Jackson could no longer keep quiet, and tripped the light fantastic to that soul-inspiring tune. Pretty good for a lady of 87 years !

From Victor Herald 19 August 1893

Alonzo Sage, of Millers Corners, 76 years of age, while fishing on Long Level, a few days since, caught a silver eel weighing four and one-half pounds. Pretty good for an old gentleman.

From Geneva Gazette 25 August 1893

A pension was recently granted to Mary C. Warner of Phelps, widow of the late John C. Warner.  A meritorious award. The deceased husband never had a really well day after his discharge from military service.

From Geneva Advertiser 5 September 1893

Captain Joseph S. Lewis
of Geneva, now nearly 84 years of age, is said to have been the first steamboat captain on Seneca Lake, the first boat having been the "Seneca Chief," which made its first trip on the 4th of July, 1824 -- four years before Dr. Watkins became a resident of Salubria, as Watkins was then called.  Captain Lewis is reported to be bright and clear in his recollections, and he is, of all living men, best qualified to give reliable information in regard to the history of steam navigation on this beautiful lake.  Havana Journal

From Ontario County Journal 8 September 1893

While William Sisson, of this village, was putting up a telephone in Penn Yan Monday, he fell from a high fence on which he was standing, and sustained quite serious injuries. No bones were broken but it will be some time before he will be able to resume work.

From Geneva Gazette 15 September 1893

Canandaigua has three lady notaries public, : viz. Miss Julia Failing in the office of Wynkoop & Rice; Miss Cora Wilder with Clement & Scott, and Miss Hawley with Judge Metcalf.  Geneva has one -- Miss Morrison, in the law office of Geo. W. Nicholas.

From Victor Herald 16 September 1893

About fifty guests gathered at the home of Mr. George Grinnell, Sept. 4th, to celebrate his sixtieth birthday. The day was spent very pleasantly. After a bountiful repast was served consisting of biscuit, meats, salad, cake, ice cream, oranges, peaches and bananas, George was presented with a beautiful chair. Those from out-of town were Mr. and Mrs. D. F. Stebbins of Palmyra, Mr. and Mrs. N. L. Strong of Clifton Springs, Mr. and Mrs. E. S. Grinnell of Port Gibson, Mr. Nelson Chase of Gypsum, Mr. Peter Gehres and daughter of Rochester, Mr. and Mrs. George Philley of Gypsum, Mr. George Gehres of Sandusky, O., Miss Libbie Parker of Milo, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Kimble and children of Rochester, also many friends and relatives of this town. All seemed to enjoy the occasion very much and hope he may be spared to enjoy many more.

From Ontario County Journal 22 September 1893

On Saturday, September 9, there was some rapid hop picking done in the yard of James Trim at South Bloomfield. During the day Mrs. George Parke picked 38 bushels, Miss Jennie Nudd 36 bushels. Miss Maud Parke and Miss Maggie McDowell each picked 30 bushels.

From Victor Herald 23 September 1893

A lively runaway occurred on Tuesday. Mr. Henry Turner, of this town, was driving a colt on East Main street, and when nearly opposite M. A. Wilbur's residence, bolted the track without any apparent cause, making a flying leap over the sidewalk on the south side of the street, taking a whirl in the vacant lot. Mr. Turner was thrown from the wagon but retained a hold on one line, and the horse was finally brought to a stop. The wagon was somewhat demoralized, and Mr. Turner considerably shaken up, but not seriously injured.

From Victor Herald 7 October 1893

Last Friday, Sept. 29th, a very pleasant gathering was enjoyed at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Geo. H. Child, of this place, the occasion being the celebration of Mrs. Child's 63rd birthday, by her children and grandchildren. Among those present were Mr. E. M. Decker and family of Richmond; Mrs. O. E. Child and family of Victor; Wm. McLarey and family and Frank W. Child and family of Canandaigua; and Miss Mary Case and two little motherless grandchildren of Bristol. And while a son and family of Denver, Colo., could not be present yet they did not forget to forward through the mails a valuable token of their remembrance of mother. There were present six children and eleven grandchildren, and all enjoyed the day in the most pleasant and agreeable way. At the close several substantial presents were left in evidence of their appreciation of mother and grandmother. And when the time of the evening trains drew nigh, the goodbyes were said and all went away happy, wishing for the return of many such days.

From Geneva Gazette 6 October 1893

Michael Kinsella,
flagman at the Main street crossing at Canandaigua, was recently discharged on account of age and decrepitude, after a service of nearly 50 years.  Having no visible means of support, he betook himself to the county house.

From Geneva Gazette 27 October 1893

Malignant fever has invaded several families in the Bilsborrow neighborhood.  Two sons of S. B. Reed are down with the disease, one of whom it is believed has passed the danger point.  Floyd, the 19 year old son of James Holland, succumbed to it, dying after an illness of nine days.  He contracted the disease while employed at Mr. Reed's.  It is a very distressing bereavement to his family and friends.

From Geneva Gazette 3 November 1893

All Hallowe'en was observed with a deal of mischievous merriment by young lads and lassies Tuesday night last.  A favorite method resorted to of startling a family seated quietly by the center table, was to send a handful of beans rattling against the window panes.  Gates were unhinged and carried off, moveable horse blocks spirited away, piazzas strewn with cabbage leaves, turnip tops, potato peelings, and kindred pranks performed in a spirit of innocent fun.  The visitations were taken good-naturedly.  Were not we old 'uns all boys and girls once?

From Ontario County Journal 10 November 1893
The relatives and friends of Theodore Crosby gathered at his home on Main street, Wednesday, to congratulate him upon the attainment of his ninety-first birthday, which was the day before, but on account of election, the celebration was put over to the next day. Among those present were, Alfred Crosby, a brother, 85 years, and his wife of Phelps; Miss M. R. Sears, of Buffalo; Mr. and Mrs. T. R. Sibley of Scottsville; Mrs. Emily Pond and Sarah Crosby, of Phelps.

From Geneva Gazette 17 November 1893

Chas. M. Dunham,
a prominent young man of Naples, this county, was sentenced last Tuesday to state prison for two years and four months, by Recorder Smyth of New York, for stealing a watch from Robert E. Shaw of No. 442 East 122d st. on the night of Oct. 21st.

From Ontario County Journal 24 November 1893

Rushville, N. Y. -
A very sad accident occurred on Sunday morning last to Mrs. Sarah Erwin, an elderly lady, who occupies alone one-half of the Benham house, on lower Main street. Leaving her room upstairs to do down, she overreached the first step and fell headlong to the bottom. She was picked up by neighbors who heard the noise, and Dr. Wilkins was immediately summoned. Examination showed no bones broken, but probable internal injuries. At this time of writing she is quite feeble.

From Ontario County Journal 1 December 1893

Honeoye, N. Y. -
In the spelling match held at the New England supper last week Friday evening, one hundred words were pronounced. Four of the spellers remained standing at the close, viz: Ralph Short, Miss Mary Bostwick, Mrs. Lucas, and Mrs. Pennell. A most bountiful old-time supper was served later for the too small sum of fifteen cents.

Gorham has provided the background for a tragic drama, abounding in sensational effects and strange incidents. The curtain rose upon the first scene eight years ago; it has just fallen upon the latest, but probably not the last. The drama is of absorbing interest. In the year 1885 Henry Smith and his wife lived on a farm half way between Hall's Corners and Ferguson's Corners. They lived alone in the house. They had barely passed their honeymoon and were a pleasant, agreeable couple, who stood well in the opinion of those who knew them. In another house on the same farm lived Mrs. Smith, the widow of Thomas Smith, and the mother of Henry. The mother adored her son. In the neighborhood lived a number of step-brothers and step-sisters of Henry, all people of means and excellent standing in their communities. The farm on which the mother and son lived had been left by Thomas Smith. It was to go to Henry in case he survived his mother. If not, it was to go to the step-children on Mrs. Smith's death.

On a Saturday night, in the early autumn of that year, Mr. and Mrs. Smith retired as usual to their bedroom, a small apartment on the ground floor of the house. At the foot of the bed and not more than three or four feet from it was a window. It was a dark, threatening night; one could not see his hand before his face. In the woods near the house the trees swayed in the wind with noises like groans. During the night some one crept to the window with a shot gun, both barrels of which were heavily loaded with shot and slugs cut from sheet lead and lead pipes. Resting the gun on the sill the would-be assassin fired through the window at the sleeping couple, his gun's muzzle but a short distance from their feet. The second barrel quickly followed the first. Both shots took effect, but neither fatally at the time. Too stupefied with shock and fright at first to move, the couple lay motionless. Their loss of blood so weakened them they could not move. Hours passed and day at length broke. Mustering all his strength the young husband crawled to the door and cried to a passerby. A messenger was at once sent to Gorham village for Dr. Allen. He went at once, accompanied by his father, Dr. Alex. Allen. It was a ghastly sight they saw. The first shot had struck the husband on the left leg above the knee, ploughing its way to the hip, where it tore out a great piece of flesh. Scattering shot were in the arm and leg. Dr. Allen removed forty-five shot and slugs from the man's body. Part of the second charge had struck the woman on the breast, in the face and head. The jagged slugs had torn out great masses of her long black hair. The bed linen was soaked with blood and covered with tresses. Twenty pieces of lead were taken from the woman's breast and face. The main part of the second discharge passed just above Mrs. Smith's head and tore through the head of the bed and the partition behind a hole in which a man could easily thrust his arm. Mr. Smith quickly recovered, his injuries being all flesh wounds. Mrs. Smith never recovered. The shooting took place about 2 o'clock in the morning. Neighbors were awakened at that time by two loud reports.

Sunday morning, two weeks after the shooting, a man hurriedly stepped up the aisle of the Presbyterian church in Gorham, and touching Dr. Allen on the shoulder, whispered in his ear: "Mrs. Smith has been poisoned." The doctor hastened to the Smith home and found Mrs. Smith suffering from arsenic poisoning. The dose, however, had evidently been too heavy, for she had vomited profusely, and with the physician's aid was soon out of danger from the poison. But the wounds and shocks she had received were too much for her strength at last. She made a desperate struggle for life. She recovered sufficiently to regain her feet, but fell into a decline, and in a year died at the home of her father, a neighboring farmer, where the couple had gone to live some time after the shooting. Upon her death her husband went to live on the fatal farm with his mother.
Several years ago he married again, bought a house in Gorham village on the street leading from the main street to the Middlesex Valley Railroad depot, and there lived quietly with his wife and child, working at his trade of carpenter. Outwardly he lived peacefully, but in reality he lived in perpetual fear. Six weeks ago he was awakened at night by some one trying to gain an entrance to his house by the door. Taking his revolver he crept to the door and called out: "Who is there?" There was no reply. Then he fired two shots through the door. A moment later he heard a wagon and horses' hoofs traveling rapidly away from the house. Like himself, his wife had become a victim to fear. As a protection, he bought a fine, large Newfoundland dog. A few days later the dog was found dead. It had been poisoned. In the yard was picked up a paper with some of the poison still adhering to it.

Then for the first time terror overmastered this man, who for eight years lived down fear. To him every shadow was a possible assassin, every noise the song of a bullet, every drink, perhaps his last. And it was no vague, unreasonable fear that haunted him, not the fear of a coward, but of a very brave man, for Henry Smith knows who is seeking his life, knows beyond a doubt in his own mind, and, knowing, will not tell.

The episode of the poisoned dog was too much for his already tense nerves. Putting on his hat, as one might say, he left home, wife, child and property. No one, excepting perhaps his wife, knows definitely where he has gone. To California, it is said, but it is said, too, that he has gone to join a relative in the wilds of the Rocky Mountains, where it will be difficult and unsafe for a pursuer to follow. Before he went he told the man who knows more of this strange history than anyone else, that he was in danger of his life if he remained in Gorham, and that he was certain from whom he was in danger. Mr. Smith did not tell his secret to his confidant, but he told enough for inference to supply the rest. If the inference is correct, Guy De Muspassant in all his weird and acute analysis of human passions, has never pictured such a strange and awful phase of human character.

From Ontario County Journal 15 December 1893

Clifton Springs, N. Y. -
The following are the officers elect of the Women's Relief Corps, chosen Tuesday afternoon:

President - Mrs. Mary G. Brown
Sr. Vice President - Mrs. Annie Conklin
Jr. Vice President - Mrs. Frank Caton
Chaplain - Mrs. Robinson
Treasurer - Mrs. Lottie Burgdorf
Guard - Mrs. Louisa Sullen
Conductor - Mrs. Emma Turck

From Ontario County Journal 29 December 1893

On Tuesday, Milton Stafford, of Victor, came to Canandaigua in quest of work. He stopped at the Masseth house and announced his intention of securing employment if possible. Becoming despondent over his lack of success, he commenced to drink. On Wednesday afternoon he came back to the house and retired early to his room. A light was seen there during the evening. Yesterday morning he did not put in an appearance, and at eleven o'clock the proprietor attempted to arouse him. Being unsuccessful, he forced the door in and found Mr. Stafford breathing heavily and unnaturally. Physicians were immediately summoned and a telegram was sent to his relatives at Victor. His son came on to Canandaigua and is now with his father. Dr. Buel, who has the case in charge, says that his illness was undoubtedly due to morphine poisoning. The Doctor considers that he is now out of danger. Mr. Stafford was at one time a man of considerable property, but he lost his money in unfortunate speculations.

The annual family reunion and Christmas tree of the Hutchens' family was held at the home of Mr. and Mrs. H. L. Hutchens, on Chapin street, last Sunday. The following were present: Mr. and Mrs. W. C. Hutchens and son, Harold, Frank T. Hutchens, Floyd Hutchens, Mr. and Mrs. Royal R. Scott and children, Mr. and Mrs. L. L. Scott, H. C. Townsend, Mrs. Henry Hutchens, mother of H. L. Hutchens, Charles H. Hutchens and wife, and Nodiah, Claude and Henry Hutchens.

Return to Ontario County Homepage

Copyright © 2005-15, Ontario County NYGenWeb and each contributor and author of materials herein. All rights reserved.