From Geneva Gazette 13 January 1888

On Saturday evening last Mrs. Jennie Wakely gave a "donkey" party at her residence on East North street.  A "donkey" party is so called from the fact that a pattern or picture of a donkey without any tail is fastened on the wall, and the guests blindfolded one at a time, proceed to pin the donkey's tail where it properly belongs, the person making the nearest, 2nd and fartherest guess winning a prize.  It is a very laughable proceeding and provokes no end of fun.  On this occasion Mrs. William McConnell secured first prize, J. B. Dixon second, and Mr. Walker the third prize.  A fine program of recitations, songs, etc. was also rendered, after which the guests sat down to a bountiful repast.  The evening was greatly enjoyed by all present.

From Ontario County Journal 20 January 1888

Cheshire, N. Y. - Charles Brandow
of this place was accidentally and dangerously shot last Saturday with a revolver by a Mr. Benedict who is an uncle of Brandow. Mr. Benedict had as he supposed just discharged every chamber of the revolver and was withdrawing the empty shells from it with his knife, the muzzle pointing backward when Mr. Brandow came up behind him when one chamber was discharged. The ball took effect in the right side of Mr. Brandow passing through one lung and lodged under the shoulder blade making a painful and dangerous wound. Dr. Hutchens is attending the wounded man.

From Geneva Gazette 3 February 1888

A Terrible Accident -
On Wednesday last while using a feed cutter, in some manner Mr. Jas. R. Squires of Seneca got his left hand in the knives and in a second his hand and wrist were terribly mutilated and out and the bones of his arm half way to the elbow crushed and broken.  Without a murmur or cry of pain he extricated the limb from the cruel knives and rollers, and then rode several miles to the residence of Dr. Allen of Seneca who made an examination of the fearful wounds.  He found amputation necessary, but deemed it best to wait until morning before performing the operation.  Dr. M. H. Picot was summoned, and yesterday morning he attended the patient and amputated the arm, assisted by Dr. Allen.  Mr. Squires stood the operation like a hero, and he is doing as well as could be expected.  The many friends of Mr. Squires deeply sympathize with him in his misfortune.

From Ontario County Journal 3 February 1888

D. M. Martz, formerly of East Bloomfield, who lives on the lake road just north of R. R. Benedit's, has an interesting relic in the shape of an oak cane made from wood taken from Commodore Perry's flagship. The wreck of the flagship was raised July 20, 1840, on the day of a big Whig excursion to Fort Meigs where there was to be a celebration of the victory of General Harrison, at that time the Whig candidate for president. Mr. Martz was then at Cleveland and he went out to the ship to secure a memento. There are three silver plates set into the cane bearing the following inscriptions: "Taken from Commodore Perry's flag ship, July 20, 1840." "Battle on Lake Erie September 10, 1813" and Perry's famous declaration, "We have met the enemy and they are ours."

From Geneva Gazette 10 February 1888

On Saturday last while driving down Seneca street, the horse of Mrs. S. Eighmy, who resides near Oaks Corners, became frightened and ran away.  The cutter collided with the side of the gutter in front of Mr. Sloman's store throwing Mrs. Eighmy out.  She fell on to the hitching post with such force that she was rendered unconscious.  Willing hands carried her into the store, and as soon as she survived she was taken to the office of Dr. Weyburn who made an examination and found that a rib had been fractured, and internal injuries were feared.  We are pleased to state, however, that she is improving every day and will soon be about again.

From Ontario County Journal 17 February 1888

Richmond, N. Y. - William Sullivan, whose likeness is presented herewith, is the oldest resident of the town of Richmond, and probably the oldest in Ontario county. He was born in Newark, N. J., Dec. 2, 1785, and is doubtless the best-preserved centenarian in New York State. He is the oldest of a family of eleven children, and is the only surviving member. When he was about 28 years of age he, together with all the members of the family, excepting his father and two brothers, came to this county in a sleigh and settled in Richmond, where he has since resided. William afterward made the journey to New Jersey and back, twice on foot, traveling at the rate of fifty miles per day. Soon after his settlement here he married, and he raised a family of ten children, the youngest of whom is now fifty years of age. He furnished five sons to the Union army in the war of the rebellion, one of whom was killed. Mr. Sullivan has always held a high position among his neighbors. A peaceable, orderly, sturdy citizen of regular habits, he has been a shining example to all who have known him. He has missed but one town meeting and one election, has always been strictly temperate, and has never used tobacco in any form. He is now in excellent health, full of vitality and activity, and in possession of all his faculties. He lives with his son at Richmond
Mills, and is able to walk from there to Honeoye and return, a distance of ten miles. He was never known to have any difficulty with any one, and has lived up to his idea that "if a man lived an honest life, and always used everyone with civility and decency, his days would be lengthened.

He tell the following amusing incident which happened while on one of his pedestrian trips to New Jersey. "A couple of horsemen overtook me, chatted with me a little and rode on. I kept trudging along, and by and by passed a tavern where I saw these men resting. A little while after that they again overtook me, made some remarks and went on. I kept on about my business and by and by passed another tavern where I saw these same men. A third time they overtook and passed me, but when night came I put up at the same tavern with them, having walked fifty miles, the same distance they had ridden."

Mrs. Luman Gilbert, aged 94 years, is after Mr. Sullivan, the oldest person in Richmond. She was born at Sherburne, Chenango county, N. Y., Feb. 26, 1794, and her maiden name was Nancy Batchellor. She moved with her family to Pittsford in the year 1811. She was first married to Joseph Cogswell in 1812, and subsequently after living several years a widow, she was married to Mr. Luman Gilbert of Richmond. She had no children by her first husband, but had two sons by her second union. She is a sister of Perian Batchellor of Honeoye, aged 87. She is in good health, but her memory is impaired.

Richmond's octogenarians are as follows: Perian Batchellor, 87; Miss Betsey Perry, 86; Asa Dennison, 84; Mrs. David Crooks, 84; Mrs. Horace Gilbert, 84; Mrs. Alonzo Adams, 88; Mrs. Leonidas Wilbur, 83; Gideon Pitts, 80; Mrs. Asa Dennison and Mrs. Cheney Abbey. The photograph from which our cut was made was taken about fifteen years ago.

From The Lima Recorder, March 1, 1888, page 3

Edward Fox, who has been employed in a harness shop at Canandaigua since last December, was arrested for causing the death of John Slaven at Brockport in 1886.

Thanks to Martha Magill for this donation.

From Ontario County Times 7 March 1888

Victor, N. Y. - 
Several mishaps occurred on Saturday in consequence of the icy and general slippery condition of the walks and elsewhere. John H. Murphy, a nearly blind man, while going after a pail of water, slipped and fell across the pail by which he received quite serious injuries. Dr. Mead was called in to attend his injuries. Charley Taft also caught a slipdown on the sidewalk while carrying a five-gallon can of kerosene oil, the concussion dislocating some of the joints in the can through which the fluid freely flowed. Charley sat down hard but bravely bore his bumps.

From Ontario County Journal 9 March 1888

Academy, N. Y. - Isaac Nortrup
of Bristol Springs and a lady passenger were thrown off the embankment near the Haight place in consequence of the large icy snow drift that remains there yet in the road to endanger the lives of travelers. Had it not been for Mr. Mather who was near by and rendered assistance, Miss Grace Castle who was driving the road with her pony and carriage would have went off the same precipice. We are at a loss to find an excuse for the enterprising citizens of that neighborhood for such a condition of things.

Samuel Parshall, who resides west of this village on the road to Bristol, was struck on the hip by a tree which he was felling last week. Several bones were fractured and it is feared that he may be crippled for life. He was attended by Dr. Hallenbeck.

George Burgis, Ferguson's Corners, attempted suicide last week. On Wednesday afternoon he attempted to shoot himself with a gun but his wife prevented it. He afterward went to the barn and took a spoonful of Paris Green. As soon as he made known what he had done, antidotes were  administered, but is not expected to live. He had been drinking freely and was very excitable. He is fifty-five years of age.

From Ontario County Times 11 April 1888

Seneca Castle, N. Y. -  On Sunday last, April 1st, Mrs. Angeline Stevens celebrated her 80th birthday. Her daughter, Mrs. Mary Foster, and her son, Roy Foster, came from Cleveland, Ohio, to be present with their congratulations. Mrs. Stevens has been in failing health for two years or more, and though she has been steadily losing strength, she is yet able to be about the house most of the time. Mrs. Foster expresses the determination to come in June and take her mother to Cleveland to enjoy the benefit of the pure lake air. But whether she is able to go at that time is very problematical.

From Ontario County Journal 13 April 1888

Farmington, N. Y. - Last Tuesday afternoon John Ebert had the misfortune to break the large bone of his right leg just above the ankle. He was drawing large timbers from Macedon depot for George Lapham's new barn, when one of the heaviest sills struck him. The accident happened at a most unfortunate time as his services, always valuable, were especially needful this spring.

From Ontario County Times 18 April 1888

Seneca Castle, N. Y. - 
On Friday morning, while engaged in cutting straw with a cutting machine propelled by horse power, in the barn of Jesse Thatcher, a couple of miles west of this place, William Smith accidentally got his left hand into the machine and took it off above the wrist. The unfortunate man, near forty years of age, is without a family, but has been the sole dependence of his aged parents. His mother died some months since at their home in Orleans, and his father went to live with his daughter near Syracuse. It was found necessary to amputate the arm near the elbow joint on account of injury to the arteries high up on the arm. Much sympathy is felt for the unfortunate man by the whole community, as he has been an industrious man and highly respected by all.

From Ontario County Journal 20 April 1888

Bristol Center, N. Y. - Mrs. Orestes Case
is suffering severely from an accident by which she has lost the sight of an eye. While assisting to shake a carpet, a portion of a carpet tack entered the eye, destroying the sight, and it is feared that inflammation may extend to the other eye.

From Ontario County Journal 4 May 1888

Last Friday, Geneva was aroused by the sensational report that Leah May, daughter of Maj. W. H. May of that village, had committed suicide the night before, by jumping into the canal. A large party of men were engaged in dragging the canal all the morning but no body was discovered. In the afternoon, it was ascertained that the young lady had been seen in Rochester. On Saturday friends went to Rochester and found that the young lady had taken service with a private family as a domestic. She was induced to return to her home.

From Ontario County Journal 11 May 1888

On Monday evening while under the influence of liquor, Luther Spoor, of Clifton Springs, assaulted his wife, knocking her down and threatening to shoot her. She fled to the house of a neighbor, where she still remains in a very nervous condition. Spoor was arrested and will have an examination as soon as his wife is able to appear against him.

From Ontario County Journal 18 May 1888

Gorham, N. Y. -
The business meeting of the Gorham Cornet Band was held May 15th, and officers were elected as follows: E. Sutphen, president; James Lane, leader; Chas. Thompson, treasurer; H. Stokoe, secretary; F. S. Conklin, librarian; H. Melious, overseer of property.

From Ontario County Journal 1 June 1888

Rushville, N. Y. - One of the most important events which has occurred in this place in a long time became publicly known last week. Mrs. Andrew J. Warner, who has been suffering from an ovarian tumor for the past year, was operated upon last Friday afternoon by Dr. M. D. Mann of Buffalo, assisted by Dr. W. Norton, of the same place. There were also in attendance Dr. E. B. Sayre, of Allen's Hill, Dr. W. F. Jolley, of Middlesex, Dr. W. Skinner of Rushville and Dr. W. A. Carson, the attending physician. The size of the tumor was unusually large, weighing seventy pounds. Dr. Mann said it was the largest one he had ever removed in all his extensive practice. Mrs. Warner rallied well from the operation, and from information derived from the attending physician, she is in fair way of recovery.

Cries of "Murder ! Murder ! Help ! Murder !" broke upon the still air and aroused the residents of the vicinity of Pleasant and Niagara streets from their deep slumber yesterday morning about twenty minutes before two. People on Niagara street who threw up their windows and looked out ascertain the cause of the startling cries, described the hurrying form of a man dressed in a light suit going eastward from the corner of Pleasant and Niagara streets where they discovered the prostrate form of Thomas Barry, Jr., with several ugly wounds on his head, face, and one of his hands. He was faint, sick, and almost in a dying condition. They conveyed him to the Tracy house where his wounds were dressed by Dr. G. W. McClellan, who pronounced them probably fatal.

The officers were at once apprised of the affair and at five o'clock the whole police force surrounded the residence of John Tuohey on Niagara st., who was charged by Barry with the assault. Repeated raps upon the door elicited no response from inside, except Officer Doyle who was stationed at the rear heard Tuohey say he would cut the heart out of the first man who entered. When it became evident that no one on the inside would admit them, Officers McPhillips and Doyle burst the back door in, and on going to Tuohey's room found him reclining on the bed with all his clothes on, except his coat and shoes. His vest and pants were light, but before going with the officers to the jail, he put on a dark coat. His right hand was covered with blood, and a search brought to light a coat which matched the vest and pants he wore and which was covered with blood. As soon as Police Justice Dwyer was notified of the assault he went to Barry's bedside and took his statement in writing. Barry states that he started for home from his saloon about 1:30 o'clock after putting into his pocket in the presence of Tuohey a bag containing between four hundred and five hundred dollars. Tuohey induced him to walk home with him on the plea that he was afraid of someone. They went on quietly together until they were opposite the Dietz storehouse on Pleasant street when Tuohey pulled something out of his pocket, probably a sling-shot, twisted it around his wrist and struck Barry with it on his head, knocking him down. He then got on top of him and struck him again with the weapon while down. It seems that Tuohey took the eleven o'clock train for Victor and must have returned on the 12:30. There are circumstances which go to show that the assault was premeditated and planned, and that Tuohey intended to do the job in the saloon, for after the lights had been put out  in the saloon, he asked Barry to have a drink. Barry declined and then Tuohey insisted upon having some ginger ale and followed Barry around behind the bar. Barry got him the ginger ale and noticed that Tuohey touched his lips to it but did not drink a swallow. This would indicate that Tuohey's design was to get Barry in a corner behind the bar where he would have him at a disadvantage, but for some reason changed his mind. There could have been no motive for the crime except robbery and this theory is made more plausible by the fact that Tuohey had been hard up for some time and was intending to leave town shortly. While Barry's injuries are severe they are not as serious as at first supposed, and unless some unlooked-for complication sets in he will recover. Tuohey's examination will take place as soon as Barry's condition will permit his appearance as a witness.

The Shortsville Enterprise, June 2, 1888, Vol. 6, No. 22

Manchester Murmurings - Charles Brizee of Rochester, spent Decoration Day with his uncle.

Margaret Dibble, who has been sick for over a year, was able on Decoration Day to ride out.

Mrs. Cooper has been sick for more than a year with dropsy, and has been in a critical condition many times. She had a stroke of paralysis last Saturday morning. She has the sympathy of her friends in this new affliction.

Mrs. Angie Rodney goes to Rochester to-day, and will remain over Sunday.

Local Matters - Mr. J. P. Williams, after a two weeks visit with relatives in this place, started this morning for his home in Scranton.

The family of the late Leonard Smith of Manchester, desire to publicly express their heartfelt thanks to the many kind friends who extended them substantial aid and sympathy in their late affliction.

Mr. and Mrs. M. M. Buck, of St. Louis, have taken up their residence for the summer months in their handsome cottage at Clifton Springs. They have already visited friends here, driving up from Clifton almost every day.

We are informed that Mr. Charles Gillett of Hopewell,  has one of the finest young colts in that town, which was sired by the "Ivanhoe" horse of Farmington.

We are pleased to note the rapid improvements to health of Mrs. A. T. Whitney, whose serious illness has been the cause of much alarm among her friends. Dr. J. D. Cooke is to be congratulated upon restoring his patient once more to her former health.

Ray Weller, who is clerking in Elmira, spent the first of the week at his home in this place.

Messrs. Frank Wheeler and Harry Moore, of Phelps, were in town calling on their many friends on Tuesday.

Mr. J. N. Weller experienced another serious sick spell the fore part of the week, but we are happy to say  he is much improved.

J. V. Peacock and family of Phelps, were in town over Wednesday, and Mr. J. V. Peacock assisted very acceptably in the rendition of the music at the Presbyterian church in the afternoon.

The following named persons residing in this town have been drawn to serve as petit jurors at a term of County Court and Court of sessions, which convenes at the Court house in Canandaigua, on Monday the  11th inst.: Charles M. Clark, William A. Chapman, Gould M. Lawrence, John W. Parker,Homer R. Steel, Charles R.  Sawyer, John L. Smith.

Clifton Springs Items - Nearly 150 acres of corn is being sown on the Foster farm.

At present we are without electric lights.

We are to lose one of our most prominent business men in the person of E. D. Copp, who has sold his coal and produce buying business, together with two stores and three dwelling houses, to W. Llewellyn. Mr. Copp has been in business here many years and his departure will be felt here by many.

Farmington Tidings - Mrs. Wallage was stricken with paralysis about two months ago; she is recovering.

Hallet Herendeen closed his school in S. Perinton, Monroe County, last Friday.

Messrs. Cotton and Betz have been painting the past few weeks for George Power.

Mrs. Leonard Nussbaumer is quite sick. She has been in a feeble state of health for several weeks.

Mr. and Mrs. Albert Stevenson spent the Sabbath with the latter's sister, who resides in Bloomfield.

Miss Jessie Barnes, a daughter of Stephen Barnes, of Kansas, is visiting relatives in this vicinity.

Mrs. E. H. Covil recently entertained her sister and family, Mrs. Howard Bennet.

Miss Mary Smith spent last Tuesday in Rochester. Her sister, Mrs. Brice Bowerman, accompanied her.

Mrs. John Sadler is confined to the house with an attack of rheumatism. We hope soon to hear of her convalescence.

Mr. and Mrs. Edward Herendeen
and Lemuel Herendeen of Geneva, were in town last Thursday for the purpose of attending the funeral service of Margaret Hathaway.

William Cheesebrough, Jr., has gone to Michigan where he intends to remain for some time. His children have been left in different families in Fairport, Victor and Farmington.

From Geneva Gazette 8 June 1888

Tired of Life - Michael Campbell, who resides on Wadsworth street with his mother and sister, was a member of the 33d Regiment, New York Vols., and as a soldier performed brave and gallant service.  In one of the battles in which he was engaged his left hand was shot off, for which the United States Government granted him a pension of thirty dollars a month.  Michael has not performed very much labor of late years, his pension money being sufficient to support him; but sad to relate, he is a victim to the alcoholic habit and has suffered several times from mania a potu.

Last Tuesday he received his pension money -- ninety dollars, and immediately started out to drink up all the whiskey in Geneva.  He succeeded in paying out eighty dollars during the day and drank so much fire water that another attack of the "tremens" was brought on.  In addition to suffering the horrors of that disease a fierce desire took possession of him to make an end of his various trials and tribulations, and Wednesday morning he secured a razor and cut a gash in his throat.  His intention was, as he said, to cut the jugular vein, but happily he only succeeded in making a flesh wound.  Drs. Weyburn and Wiles were summoned who sewed up the gash and made the man as comfortable as possible.  Campbell says he does not want to live, and he has to be carefully watched all the time to prevent him making further attempts on his life.

We think he presents a proper case for the authorities to take cognizance of.  By consigning him to an inebriate asylum a blessing would be conferred upon him and those dependent on him, besides he may possibly be cured of this soul-wrecking habit of over-indulgence in strong drink.

From Ontario County Journal 8 June 1888

Last Sunday afternoon the people who had strolled down to the foot of the lake witnessed a very exciting runaway which nearly resulted in the death of a spirited young horse owned by Charles Corser of the north part of the town. The horse, which was a large iron gray, harnessed to a democrat wagon, was hitched to a post west of the pavilion and north of Mrs. McCormack's place. No one knows what started him, but he evidently became frightened at something, and breaking the large rope halter which held him, he started on a dead run south on the pier. A panic was created among the many visitors on the pier, and as they scattered frantically right and left, the runaway increased his breakneck speed. Toward the end of the pier stood some flat cars loaded with stone. The wagon struck these and was left in a sadly demoralized condition while the horse went on as if nothing had happened. His pace wasn't checked even when he reached the end, but he plunged off into the water throwing up a cloud of spray, and frantically pawing for a foothold. He soon got his "sea legs" and swam around into the basin. This unusual exercise soon exhausted him and when he came near enough to the pier for the men to take hold of his head it was evident he could not have lasted much longer. He was towed down the basin to the most favorable point and after several heroic struggles, with the assistance of a half dozen men, he succeeded in getting on terra firma again. He lay for several minutes completely exhausted, but after some strength came back he regained his feet and seemed no worse for his bath. He was slightly cut in getting from the basin back onto the pier, but to all appearances was not permanently injured.

From Ontario County Journal 15 June 1888

Cheshire, N. Y. -
Quite a serious accident occurred to Mrs. Dyer Elwell and Edward Young yesterday. They had started for Canandaigua and as they were leaving the yard and entering the road, the horse became frightened and starting suddenly turned the buggy bottom side up, and throwing the occupants out and under the buggy. Mrs. Elwell had one rib broken and Mr. Young received a severe cut over the eye and was otherwise bruised considerably. Mrs. Elwell's grandchild was with them but fortunately escaped without injury. The buggy was considerably demoralized.

From Ontario County Times 20 June 1888

Allen's Hill, N. Y. -
The rite of baptism was administered to the infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. B. G. Abbey during the services at the Episcopal church Sunday afternoon. 

From Ontario County Times 27 June 1888

Bradley Ellis,
of this village, met with a painful and serious accident last Monday evening. He was driving into his yard on Bristol street with a load of heavy logs on his wagon when the seat slipped off, and allowed him to fall to the ground. The front wheel passed over his right shoulder, breaking his collar bone and injuring him internally. Dr. G. W. McClellan was called and place Mr. Ellis in as comfortable condition as possible. The Doctor says that owing to the severe pain which Mr. Ellis has suffered, he has been unable to ascertain the extent of his internal injuries.

From Ontario County Times 4 July 1888

Shortsville, N. Y. - Henry Derr
fell 20 feet with the scaffolding which had not been securely fastened while at work on a barn in Farmington. He remained insensible for some time from the effects of injury to the spine. No bones were broken, however, and after a week or so he so far recovered as to return to work.

From Ontario County Journal 6 July 1888

Victor, N. Y. - The Victor baseball club has been organized as follows: A. Sale, manager and 2d b.; O. Levet, 1st b.; George Barnett, c.; Geo. D. Warren, p.; E. Henehan, c.f.; Elmer Cornford, l.f.; S. K. Boughton, 3d b.; J. Lucy, s.s.; Richard Sikes, r.f.

From Ontario County Times 11 July 1888

James Maloney,
of Clifton Springs, was found lying beside the New York Central track near Phelps last Wednesday  afternoon with his foot badly crushed. Maloney was considerably intoxicated and was unable to tell just how the accident occurred, but it is believed he fell off a western bound passenger train. He was taken to Clifton Springs, where Dr. Phillips amputated the leg above the ankle.

From Ontario County Times 18 July 1888

Hopewell, N. Y. -
I am informed that Mr. Harlett Cooper, who lives on the north road, was recently caught in some manner while unloading hay and drawn nearly to the roof and dropped to the floor, hurting him quite badly, but breaking no bones.

Seneca Castle, N. Y. -  Mr. McNair Beach,
of Phelps, and his workman, James Northum, of Phelps, while at work on Cornelius Meaney's barn on the 11th inst., fell from the scaffolding a distance of nineteen or twenty feet. The platform the men stood on was supported by a number of what carpenters call shove-up brackets, which in this case consisted of simple brackets braced against the side of the building, with no other fastening or support than scantling of two-by-four hemlock, two scantlings spliced at the end forming a brace. At the time of falling, Beach and Northum were trying to pull up a plank to be used for a footing on the roof in shingling, and while thus engaged one of the scantlings in the brace immediately under them brook, precipitating them without warning to the ground. Mr. Geo. Walker was on the scaffolding and narrowly escaped the same fate by catching hold of a neighboring bracket and hanging till he could reach a ladder that happened to be close by. Northum was struck by one of the falling timbers and stunned. Beach, though severely hurt, gained his feet long enough to throw off a board lying on Northum. As soon as possible the men were carried into the house and every assistance rendered. Both were severely shaken up and sustained serious ankle injuries that will disable them for some length of time. They returned to Phelps on Friday.

From Ontario County Times 5 September 1888

On Monday last Clarence King and his cousin, Wm. King, of Phelps, met with an accident which came near being fatal. They were crossing a bridge over Flint Creek with a traction engine, when the structure suddenly gave way, precipitating the engine to the bottom of the creek. The young men went down with the machine and were held partly beneath in such a manner as to make it impossible for them to extricate themselves without help. Fortunately both escaped without fatal injuries, though Clarence was so badly hurt as to require the services of a physician. He is a son of Irving King, of Orleans. The engine was new and is said to have been reduced to a worthless wreck. We are informed that the Highway Commissioners of the town had been notified of the unsafe condition of the bridge, but had neglected to take any stops to avert the danger of a break down.

From Ontario County Times 12 September 1888

Naples, N. Y. -  Harvey Burke
has been employed in Griswold's saw mill and basket factory for 21 years. He received his first severe injury last Saturday. While using the edging saw, his right hand was drawn against it in such a way as to take off part of the thumb and three fingers. Dr. Conley dressed the wounded hand.

From Ontario County Journal 14 September 1888

Rushville, N. Y. - Mr. Emmett Foster, while driving Mr. John Edmund's meat wagon on Tuesday, was thrown from the wagon in Vine Valley and received a very complicated and dangerous fracture of the ankle and leg. Dr. W. A. Carson was summoned and reduced the fracture. He was brought to his home in this village by Mr. R. B. Lewis. His many friends in this village are anxiously awaiting the result. The team became unmanageable and threw him with great force to the ground.

From Ontario County Journal 21 September 1888

Canadice, N. Y. -
The residence of Mrs. Charlotte Adams and her mother, a lady over 80 years old, was entered by burglars last Tuesday morning about 2 o'clock. Mrs. Jackman was aroused by a hand laid softly on the bed and thinking it was her daughter, who sleeps in an adjoining room, she asked her what was wanted. Mrs. Adams was awakened by her mother's voice and started to raise up when she was seized by the throat and pushed back, the man muttering something at the same time. Mrs. Adams screamed at the top of her voice for help when the man took leave in a great hurry passing out to the kitchen and thence through the wood house through the doorway he had entered by means of a hole through which he could unlock the door. Mrs. Adams as soon as she could strike a light and fasten the house, raised a window and rung a bell which awakened M. J. Becker living opposite who quickly got there and aroused the whole neighborhood, but the would-be burglar had fled and only a stick of wood on the bureau gave evidence that the house had been entered. A bit-stock from Job Francisco's shop was found near the gate, and the man tracked nearly a mile. From the disturbance in both rooms it would seem there were two, but only one track was found. Mrs. Adams was relieved of her revolver some time ago and had not replaced it, but the next man that goes there in the night will resemble a lead mine before he leaves.

From Geneva Gazette 21 September 1888

Oaks Corners -
On Thursday night of last week Miss Mary Kirtland was awakened by the loud barking of a dog, and she divined in a moment that the brute was worrying her flock of sheep.  Accordingly she arose, took a shotgun which she had learned to shoot, and sallied forth after the dog.  She found him engaged in chasing the sheep around the lot, occasionally varying this pastime by taking a generous bite from the flesh of some unfortunate animal.  In a few minutes the dog appeared within range of her gun, and taking careful aim Miss Kirtland fired.  When the smoke had cleared away she saw that she had shot true for the dog had dropped in his tracks, shot through the heart.  By her bravery and determination in this matter Miss Kirtland has doubtless saved the lives of many valuable sheep, for a sheep-killing dog never ceases his murderous work so long as he can find any victims.

From Ontario County Times 26 September 1888

Farmington, N. Y. -
Now that A. G. Sheldon and wife have named their twins A. G. and Mary Alice, their friends may send in their congratulations by the basket or trunkful. They are pretty, sturdy, and well-behaved babies. It was somewhat squally the other day, however, when Mrs. Furbish and her twins came to see their new cousins.

Mr. Emmett Foster,
of Rushville, while driving Mr. John Edmund's meat wagon one day last week, was thrown from the wagon in Vine Valley and received a very complicated and dangerous fracture of the ankle and leg.

From Ontario County Journal 28 September 1888

The people of Phelps were aroused to indignation last week over the attempt of Dwight C. Andrus, a resident of that village, to have his wife incarcerated in an insane asylum. The reports are to the effect that after a considerable amount of brutal treatment at her husband's hands, Mrs. Andrus became terrified and almost crazy. Monday afternoon she was found on the street acting strangely. She was taken in charge by a constable and when they met Andrus, the woman shrank back from him with fear. The husband immediately proceeded with the preliminary steps to send her to the asylum but she recovered after a little care so that the physicians declined to interfere. The superintendent of the poor is investigating the case with a view to punishing the brutal husband as he deserves.

From Ontario County Times 3 October 1888

Canadice, N. Y. -
On Monday of last week, George Caskey, son of Wm. Caskey, a former resident of this town, and now of Springwater, left his work, and in a state of temporary insanity, wandered off and made his way to the vicinity of the school house in Dist. No. 6 of this town, thence across lots to a place in the gully below where a saw mill had been recently set and run, and after hiding his money and watch, cut his throat with a jack knife, making two rough but not dangerous gashes. He laid there all night without a coat, and on Tuesday morning, recovering his senses, found his watch and money, and came out on the road at about ten o'clock. Mr. Becker met him, took him to Thomas Eldridge's, where he was cleaned up and had dinner, whence Mr. Eldridge took him to I. S. Wetmore's in Springwater. It is said that Caskey had suffered an injury on the head some time during the season.

From Ontario County Times 3 October 1888

A Sons of Veterans Post has been organized in this village with officers as follows:

Commander - E. W. Frary
Sr. vice-commander - B. H. Clark
Jr. vice-commander - W. B. Bostwick
Chaplain - R. S. Bostwick
Adjutant - C. D. Castle
Officer of day - D. Bostwick
Office of guard - W. M. Bement

From Ontario County Times 17 October 1888

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - 
This evening a surprise given to Mr. Asher B. Norton, was a surprise indeed and proved a very pleasant affair, bringing together about seventy people -- young and old.

From Ontario County Times 31 October 1888

On Monday  afternoon John Williams, an employee in George Thompson's planing mill in this village, met with a painful and serious accident. He was engaged in feeding a plank to a circular saw, when it slipped in some way and struck Williams with great force in the jaw, breaking the bone in two places and knocking out several teeth. He was picked up in an unconscious condition and taken to the office of Dr. Hollenbeck who dressed his wounds and made him as comfortable as possible under the circumstances.

From Ontario County Times 7 November 1888

Academy, N. Y. - A serious runaway accident occurred on Thursday of last week. While on their way to the pole raising at Bristol Springs, Mr. Jeremiah Trickey's team were frightened by the loosening of a whiffletree. The wagon was tipped over the bank into the field, and and the occupants more or less injured. Mrs. Trickey had her shoulder fractured; Mrs. Phillips had two or three ribs fractured, and her face badly cut; Irving Phillips and his wife were cut and bruised, and Henry Stid had his wrist dislocated. All are now in a fair way to recovery.

From Geneva Gazette 9 November 1888

Oaks Corners - Mr. Frank E. Hood
narrowly escaped a serious accident last Thursday.  Coming from the field with a load of potatoes, he stopped his horses in the road, shut the gate and returning picked up the lines.  The horses started and in attempting to get onto the wagon, he missed his step, falling in such a way that the hind wheel passed over both feet.  The road being sandy and soft, he was fortunate enough to escape with only the cords of his feet being severely strained and his feet otherwise bruised, enough so to keep him in the house for several days.

From Ontario County Times 14 November 1888

Bristol Center, N. Y. -
On Wednesday evening of last week, while Oliver Tiffany was out coon hunting with his son and others, he slipped and fell down a gully bank in such a way as to dislocate his shoulder and hurt his head. He was picked up in an insensible condition and carried to his home. Dr. Beahan and Dr. Mallory made the sufferer as comfortable as possible.

From Ontario Repository & Messenger 29 November 1888

Martin Hilliard,
foreman in the Victor barrel factory, attempted suicide one day last week by taking chloroform. A physician was summoned before he had taken enough to endanger his life.

From Ontario County Journal 28 December 1888

William Hines,
a painter, of Hunt's Hollow, is said to have become involved in a serious matrimonial difficulty. It is reported that he lately sent his wife, with her three children, to Canada, not for her health, but that there might be a safe distance between them when he married a 16-year-old daughter of S. G. Wilbur, of Hunt's Hollow. Serious opposition to this second matrimonial venture developed among the neighbors and it was not long before Hines concluded it was a desirable "time for disappearing." He got away just in time to miss the opportunity of welcoming home Mrs. Hines No. 1 and the little Hineses, who had unexpectedly shortened their Canadian visit to come back and ask William to explain. It was deemed proper to place the second Mrs. Hines under arrest but she was discharged after examination. Hines in the meantime had shown up and he too was arrested for bigamy. In attempted extenuation of his offense he says he was never legally married to Mrs. Hines No. 1, the mother of his children.

Return to Ontario County Homepage

Copyright 2005-16, Ontario County NYGenWeb and each contributor and author of materials herein. All rights reserved.