Miscellaneous News of Ontario County


From Ontario County Journal 7 January 1887

Mr. Patrick Egan of Farmington, a gentleman over 60 years of age, had a very lively ride down Main street yesterday about half past eleven. He was driving into town with a pair of very spirited horses one of which was four and one three years old. When passing the residence of James McKechnie, a dog ran under the horses, heels barking loudly. This started the team down the street at a more rapid pace than Mr. Egan was accustomed to. By the time they reached the railroad track it seemed impossible for him to control them. They continued on down the street fortunately meeting no obstructions and were finally stopped by the plucky old man near the Catholic church.

From Geneva Gazette 14 January 1887

Another case where, if the records of births had been accurately kept, either in church or town records, would have proved very advantageous, has come to light.  It is that of the children of the late Hort. Eggleston, well known here twenty-five and thirty years ago.  He enlisted in 1862, contracted a disease from which he died in 1864.  His wife soon followed him.  His youngest son, born in July, 1860, found a home in the Orphan Asylum at Canandaigua for seven years.  The proof of his birth and legitimacy of his parentage are only lacking to insure him the pension due to a minor child.  A church record, town record, affidavit of attending physician or that of the female nurse is, either of them, good evidence.  Last Saturday he was in town seeking the census taker of 1860 and 1865.  We hope he will succeed.  The registration of vital statistics is one of the most important registries we have, and should be attended to by every one -- births, marriages and deaths.  This one case shows its importance.  Advertiser.

From Ontario County Journal 21 January 1887

Academy, N. Y. - Captain George Hickox,
living west of the village, who was born in 1800, related to me the following incident of the war of 1812:  His father was captain of a military company, and lived on the farm where Mr. Pliny Tillotson died. He was expecting orders daily to go to the rescue, as the British were besieging Buffalo. One night about 10 o'clock a messenger came with orders for him to be on the public square in Canandaigua next morning at daylight, with his company armed and equipped as the law directed, to march to Buffalo, as the British had crossed. The captain sent George, who was then twelve years old, with the order to his lieutenant or corporal, who lives where Mrs. Ward lives, on the Jackson farm. The lieutenant said, "Tell the captain we will be there." The next morning at daylight the company was at the place appointed, except a few enthusiastic ones who started across lots for Buffalo, and arrived there in time to take part in a skirmish, and were taken prisoners. The company that day marched to Batavia, where they were met by a messenger with orders for them to return to their homes, for the British had recrossed the river.

From Ontario County Journal 21 January 1887

Clifton Springs, N. Y. -
Last Thursday evening one Ed. Joice raised a disturbance in Fisher's saloon and was ordered out, but would not obey, and laid violent hands on the proprietor. Mr. Fisher knowing the desperate character of Joice did not hesitate an instant but laid him on the floor by a blow on the head with a heavy iron box opener, cutting a gash five or six inches long in Joice's scalp. The would was sewed up by Dr. Crittenden and the next day Joice was put under bonds to keep the peace.

From Ontario County Times 2 February 1887

Seneca Castle, N. Y. - 
Some cases of typhoid fever in our community, of a mild type, are under the care of Dr. G. W. Sargent. There are two in the family of Mr. Alonzo Crittenden, both doing well. Mr. Smith Stedman, who has for some time been on the sick list, does not yet show very prominent symptoms of improvement, indeed his recovery seems very doubtful. Still we hope for a favorable termination.

From Ontario County Times 9 February 1887

Our honored townsman, ex-Judge Henry W. Taylor, celebrated his ninety-first birthday on Wednesday of last week. His many friends rejoice to know that, notwithstanding his great age, the Judge is in full possession of his faculties and enjoys excellent health. May our streets be brightened for a long time yet by his genial presence !

From Ontario County Journal 11 February 1887

Chapinville, N. Y. - Samuel Griswold and wife had a very narrow escape from losing their lives on Saturday evening last. They went to Shortsville with a horse and cutter, and returned by the way of Littleville. When they arrived at the Littleville railroad crossing, a heavy freight was coming from the east. The flagman, Mr. Hamilton, was standing at the crossing and warned them of the approaching train, which they did not heed, thinking to cross the track would be safe enough, as the train was not running very fast. They would have crossed safely if the runners had not stuck to the rail so as to haul the cutter around to one side; the horse turned around and stopped with his fore legs on the track. Mr. Hamilton sprang to the horse's head just in time and threw him down on his side and held him down until the train passed. Fortunately no damage was done. If the cutter had not been on a higher elevation than the horse it would have resulted disastrously; but fortunately it was so, the horse fell below the thills, and a big scare was the only result.

From Ontario County Times 16 February 1887

George Thomas,
a colored boy ten or twelve years of age, of Geneva, was found Saturday morning with his tongue frozen fast to a lamppost in that village. The lad had attempted to lick the cold iron and it had held him a prisoner for half an hour or more. With the aid of a sponge and water, he was soon released, and suffered only the loss of small piece of skin from his tongue.

Gorham, N. Y. -  Mr. Benjamin Green, who lives three miles west of this place, met with a serious accident last Saturday afternoon. While assisting his son in cutting straw, he stepped to the door, when his overcoat caught in the tumbling rod, throwing him in such a manner as to bring his right arm in contact with the coupling, lacerating it so terribly that amputation had to be resorted to. Drs. James and A. D. Allen, and J. H. VanDusen, of this place, with Dr. W. A. Carson, of Rushville, were the attending physicians.

From Ontario County Journal 18 February 1887

Rushville, N. Y. - Mrs. Belinda Beeman, a widow lady about sixty years of age, residing at Covel Settlement, on Wednesday last, unfortunately fell and broke her arm. The fracture was reduced by Dr. Hutchens of Cheshire, and appears to be doing well.

Mrs. Cornelia M. Bennett
has succeeded in obtaining a pension on account of the death of a son in the army, and draws nearly $2200 back pay. The claim was managed by E. C. Clark.

From Ontario County Journal 25 February 1887

Asbury Christian,
of this village, celebrated his eighty-fourth birthday yesterday. Many years ago he came to Canandaigua with an axe on his shoulder, and but two shillings in his pocket, but today he is counted among the most wealthy and substantial citizens in town. A good example of what industry and thrift will accomplish.

Milton Edmonson, an old resident of Phelps, has a piece of common rope about a foot in length which came over in the Mayflower. The original piece, which was some fifteen feet long, was owned by a Mr. Sadler, but it had all been cut up and given away to relic hunters and this was all there was remaining, and is prized very highly on account of its old associations.

Mr. Benjamin Green, a prominent farmer living in the town of Gorham, just east of Rushville, while cutting fodder on Saturday afternoon, was caught in the coupling of the rods leading from the horse power, by which his arm was drawn down and twisted in a terrible manner. The bones and muscles were broken and torn so that the physicians decided that amputation was the only way to save his life. The arm was cut off near the shoulder by Dr. W. A. Carson of Rushville.

From Ontario County Journal 11 March 1887

Bristol, N. Y. - Mr. Felix Case had the misfortune to break his ankle on Friday. He was exercising a young team, when they turned upon him; he seized them by the bits, but they pushed him over and trod on one ankle. Dr. Mallory attended him.

From Phelps Citizen 17 March 1887

Saturday evening, Mr. and Mrs. Geo. W. Hamilton, a colored couple who lived in Power's alley, Geneva, were shot by Joseph Gregor, a half-breed Indian of Pittsford, and seriously injured, Gregor intending to shoot his wife, for leaving him and staying with the Hamiltons. Some of the parties were in the habit of drinking, and that is probably at the bottom of the matter.

From Ontario County Journal 8 April 1887

Andrew Brady, of the firm of McMahon & Brady, blacksmiths, while walking home from church last Friday evening stepped into a hole between the flag walk and the fence in front of Mrs. Granger's residence on upper Main street and broke his leg. He was accompanied by his three boys all walking abreast on the sidewalk. The father was on the inside walking close to the fence when he stepped into a hole said to have been made by putting in waterworks. Besides breaking a leg several of his ribs were injured. His injuries have been quite painful and it is probable that he will be confined for a long time.

From Ontario County Times 13 April 1887

John Wood,
of this village, was seriously injured last Friday while assisting in putting away a cutter in the upper part of his barn on Bristol street. He fell to the ground and received a severe gash in his face, which caused concussion of the brain. This brought on a stroke of paralysis, and the entire right side of his body is now affected.

From Geneva Gazette 15 April 1887

On Wednesday morning last while driving slowly along Seneca street one of the wheels of W. W. Wright's buckboard wagon locked with the wheel of another buggy, and in attempting to extricate the same the buckboard was tipped up just high enough to throw Mr. Wright out.  He struck on his head and shoulders on the cobblestone pavement, mashing his hat and cutting quite a severe gash in his head.  The wound was immediately dressed and he was taken home.  Had it not been for his heavy derby hat no doubt Mr. Wright would have sustained most serious injuries.

From Ontario County Times 20 April 1887

Ed Bement
of Manchester, was seriously injured last Friday afternoon while on his way home from this village. His horse became frightened and ran away, throwing Bement over the side of the wagon in such a manner that his foot caught in the seat. He was dragged a long distance with his face on the ground, and was terribly cut and bruised about the head and face.

From Ontario County Times 27 April 1887

The many friends in this village of John Dooley, of Phelps, will be pleased to learn that he is looked upon as a brilliant young base ball player by the manager of the Rochester club, with which he has signed for this season. The Rochester Herald speaks of his playing as being a great surprise to everyone, and says that he handles the ball with the skill of an experienced player.

From Ontario County Journal 29 April 1887

Reed's Corners, N. Y. - Charles Pierson, on Saturday last was driving a double team from Gorham village towards home. He struck the horses with a whip, and they started off at a more rapid rate than was anticipated, and very soon became uncontrollable. In their mad fury they did not select the smoothest possible route, and by some means in their course, the wagon was turned over, and Mr. Pierson was violently thrown to the ground. His collar bone was broken, and shoulder badly bruised. The attending physician and surgeon declared it to be the worst compound fracture he had ever seen.

From Ontario County Journal 6 May 1887

Victor, N. Y. - Richard Moul,
the oldest resident of this place, the father of Mrs. G. W. Clark, is an old man of ninety-four years, and although his age is so very great, his mind and memory are as clear as ever. He will talk over things that happened when he was a boy, or anything that happened ten years ago, with equal accuracy. He was born at Hudson, N. Y., and came to Victor thirty years ago. He says that at his birth there was only one store in Hudson, and that had been doing business only ten years. He shaves himself, and almost any day now you can see him working in his garden. Reading the Hudson paper and working the garden are his chief delights.

Mrs. Harry Lamport met with a startling accident last Saturday. She drove to the depot to get a relative -- her aunt -- and while the lady was attempting to get into the buggy, she stumbled and fell over the dashboard. This frightened the horse, and he began to run with Mrs. Lamport in the buggy. After going a short distance, the buggy was overturned throwing the occupant out and severely bruising her. Fortunately no bones were broken. The aunt was not injured.

From Geneva Gazette 13 May 1887

The case of Mary J. Colburn against the village of Canandaigua for damages for injuries received in falling on the icy sidewalk of that village, was tried at Canandaigua on Wednesday.  The jury gave the plaintiff a verdict for $3000.

From Ontario County Times 18 May 1887

Andrew Brady,
who was badly injured by falling into a trench in front of Mrs. Granger's residence on upper Main street a few months ago, will soon be able to resume his business. Mrs. Granger, with characteristic generosity, has presented the unfortunate man a purse of $1000, and has, besides, paid all the expenses of his confinement.

From Geneva Gazette 27 May 1887

Dell Mc Cauley, of Stanley, who recently became a member of the LaCrosse, Wis., baseball nine, is playing a great game.  During the last three weeks he has been obliged to perform the difficult task of catching for three different pitchers, he being considered the best back stop of the club.  In a game at Duluth, on May 10, he was at bat four times and made two hits, two runs; had eight put-outs, and three assists.  His hits consisted of one two-base hit and a three-base hit.  Canandaigua Times.

From Ontario County Times 1 June 1887

There is another Harwood case in town. Andrew Flynn, better known as "Hecty," an omnibus and hack driver of this village, was to have been united in marriage to a fair maid today, but on Friday he packed his grip sack, collected the money due him, and left town for parts unknown.

From Ontario County Times 4 June 1887

Burton Smith,
the driver of the Rushville stage, left his team standing near the Bristol street corner on Main street, Thursday afternoon, and the next thing he knew the animals were started on a wild run up the street. In front of Ellis's jewelry store the rattling old stage collided with a buggy, fairly tearing it loose from the horse to which it was attached, and dragged the vehicle sideways up the street. This additional load so impeded the progress of the horses that they were easily stopped near the railroad crossing and further damage averted. The buggy, which belonged to Dr. Mallory, of Bristol, was pretty badly wrecked. The horses were uninjured.

Reed's Corner, N. Y. -  One evening last week a runaway occurred here, and we have never seen a buggy so completely demolished in being drawn such a short distance as was the one to which the horse was attached on this occasion. The buggy in which was seated Henry Babbit and Eugene Davis stood nearly in front of Winnie's store, when the animal, a spirited colt, became frightened in some way, perhaps by the rustling of a newspaper which Mr. Davis was reading. The horse ran but a short distance, perhaps eight rods more or less, when the wheels collided with a tree, and the animal cleared itself and started for home, but was caught by Mr. Emory Stall. During the fracas the boys were thrown out with the body of the wagon but were not injured.

From Ontario County Times 29 June 1887

Canadice, N. Y. - Henry Doolittle,
who has been suffering some time from a diseased foot, had his leg amputated on Saturday last. The operation was performed by Dr. Connor of Springwater, assisted by Dr. Boone of Springwater, and Dr. Skinner of Canadice. Mr. Doolittle has rallied considerably from the operation, but is yet in a critical condition.

D. W. Martz,
of East Bloomfield, informs us that he witnessed the raising of Commodore Perry's flag ship on Lake Erie, July 20, 1840, and then secured a piece of live oak taken from the old hulk from which he subsequently had a can manufactured. It is a handsome stick and, of course, is highly prized by its owner. Attached to the upper end are three silver plates upon which these words are inscribed: "Taken from Commodore Perry's flag ship, June 20, 1840. Battle on Lake Erie, Sept. 10, 1813. We have met the enemy and they are ours."

A base ball club has been organized in this village which be known as the Sunday Tidings nine. It is composed of the following named young men: J. Murphy, p. and ss.; T. Hanley, c. and cf. M. Lalley, c. and lf.; John McCormack, 1b.; John Reynolds, 2b.; M. Burke, 3b. and ss.; Frank Smith, Jr., rf.; John Gavin, p. and 3b. The club have a handsome new suit of gray, which they will don for the first time in their game with the Y. M. C. A.'s of Clifton Springs.

From Geneva Gazette 8 July 1887

Last evening was the time set for the marriage of Miss Jennie, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. B. W. Scott, and Arch. Goodwin of Auburn.  Mr. Goodwin arrived in Geneva at 9:40 yesterday morning and at his request was driven to the office of Dr. N. B. Covert, to whom he stated that he had taken accidentally about an ounce of laudanum.  The doctor went to work on him at once, administered an antidote hypodermically, and with the assistance of Dr. W. G. Hemiup, thoroughly rinsed out his stomach with several gallons of warm water.  Goodwin became unconscious at one time, but by forcing stimulants down him and by keeping him stirring, he was finally brought out of his stupor and taken to the residence of Mr. Scott.  He stated in explanation that owing to mental depression on account of the recent death of his mother and the excessive heat, he had been suffering mentally and bodily, and he intended to take a small dose to alleviate the pain, but had accidentally taken a good deal more than he intended.  But for the prompt action of the physicians, Mr. Goodwin would have been a corpse last night.  The wedding did not take place.  The parents and friends of the bride have the commiseration of the entire community over the distressing occurrence.

From Geneva Gazette 15 July 1887

Shot Himself - Flint Creek was thrown into a flurry of excitement Tuesday evening by the news that Seymour Dodge, son of Postmaster Dodge, had shot himself fatally.  During the evening a number of young people were amusing themselves at Mr. Dodge's house by firing some fire-crackers that had been left over from the Fourth.  About half-past ten Seymour left the party that was gathered on the porch with the remark that he was "going to have some fun by himself;" went to the room used as a post office and taking from one of the boxes a small single barreled pistol, passed out to the other side of the house.  A report was heard shortly after but no special importance was attached to it, as there was so much noise.  Soon after, however, Seymour was found lying on the ground and being brought into the house it was discovered that he had been shot in the left breast just above the heart.  He was conscious and upon being asked how it happened replied that he was "fooling with the pistol and didn't know it was loaded."  The doctor says that the ball has entered the casing of the heart and that death will probably result.  The young man is about 19 years of age and is the one who shot young Esty about two years ago, for which he was tried and fined.  His parents, who are prominent and highly respected, have the sympathy of all their neighbors in their affliction.  Can. Journal

From Ontario County Times 20 July 1887

Gorham, N. Y. -  Horace Greenleaf
and John Williams, while at work repairing a hay sling in the barn of James Hutchinson, near Stanley, July 13, fell a distance of 39 feet. Mr. Williams escaped injury while Mr. Greenleaf was dangerously injured. In descending he came down head foremost until head struck the wheat in the mow, whence he fell to the floor, striking on his back. Dr. J. H. Allen was speedily summoned and he is doing all he can to relieve Mr. Greenleaf. It is hoped that he may recover, but it is reported as being doubtful.

Mr. John Dooley,
a well and favorably known ball player of Phelps, who is under contract with the professional club of Rochester, has been loaned to the Warsaw club, of the Western New York League. He is a brilliant young player, and every game in which he has played with that club has been protested because of his superior ability. This is the manner in which he was recently advertised in LeRoy: "A hot and interesting base ball contest will be played on the Association grounds, in this village, tomorrow -- LeRoy vs. Dooley and Warsaw."

From Ontario County Journal 22 July 1887

Miss Jessie Davison, an attractive and intelligent young lady of Chicago, was, about two years ago, married to Emor N. Power, of Victor, whom she had met while attending boarding school at Fort Plain, N. Y. They took up their residence at Victor, where Power engaged in business, and lived happily together until Monday last, when Mrs. Power, through some means, became cognizant of the fact that her husband had another wife living from whom he had never been divorced. She at once collected her personal effects and started for her former home in Chicago, where her parents now reside. It seems that Miss Davison, at the time of her marriage, knew that Power had been married before, but he assured her that he had been granted a divorce from his first wife and was free to marry. She, being convinced of the truth of his statements, consented to be his wife, and from all that can be learned their two years of married life were spent in happiness and content. All this time, however, the first Mrs. Power was living within ten miles of her husband and his second wife, and it is strange that Power's duplicity had not before been exposed, since his story of a divorce was purely fiction, and the second Mrs. Power was in reality not the wife of Emor N. Power, but plain Miss Jessie Davison. Power had been running a variety store in Victor and last spring having become involved in financial difficulties, the business was changed to his brother's name. Miss Davison was generally popular in Victor and she has the sympathy of the entire community in the unfortunate position in which she has been placed. It is said that Power exhibited considerable temper when he found that his second victim had left him. A suit was begun by Power's first wife about six months ago for divorce, and he was examined in this village on supplemental proceedings. Miss Davison went to Chicago for a visit about that time, which probably accounts for her ignorance of the proceedings. By the marriage certificate of the last union, it appears that Power and Miss Davison were married at Erie, Pa. The only reason which can be assigned for their going such a distance from home to be married, is that Power told Miss Davison that the records in his divorce from his first wife were all at Pittsburg, Pa. Power is said to have gone into a rage when he discovered his second wife's flight, and on discovering that she had, in her haste, taken his trunk instead of her own, threatened to have her arrested.

From Ontario County Journal 22 July 1887

The inhabitants of the north part of the town were considerably excited last week Thursday over the peculiar antics of a German named Charles Stiege. He rushed into peoples' houses, terrified the women and children, and finally, at the height of his mad pranks, entered the house of Orrin Outhouse, seized Mrs. Outhouse and threw her out of doors. He was followed up by the neighbors and was finally captured by Thomas Farnsworth, who brought him down with the aid of a croquet mallet. He was then put in a buggy between two strong men, who proceeded to bring him to jail, but he escaped from them at the head of Main street, and gave them another chase. Deputy Sheriff Sleght was then called upon to assist in his capture, which was finally effected after much trouble. After Stiege was put in jail, it was found that he was suffering from a deranged mind. He kept pounding on the wall and calling for "two kegs of beer." He was arraigned next morning before Police Justice Gooding, when it was found through an interpreter that his name was Charles Stiege, and that his home was in Rochester. He claimed that his brother and another man had conspired to kill him, and that he went into the houses to get away from them. It was decided that he was suffering from delirium tremens, and he was taken to jail to await further developments.

From Ontario County Journal 5 August 1887

On Friday last as Mr. James Johnson was passing through Bristol Center with his traction engine, the valve of the whistle became caught in some manner which prevented its shutting. Mr. Johnson climbed upon the sheet-iron fender which covers the cog driving gear, and shut the valve. He then started to get down, but in doing so the iron nails in his boots caused him to slip and he fell between the drive wheel and the boiler. The engineer, George Alexander, stopped the engine at once and assistance was given the unfortunate man. Coats were quickly stuffed between him and the boiler, but not until his right side, hand and arm had been severely burned. Even the coats were charred. Before he could be extricated one drive wheel and the cog gear must be removed. This occupied forty minutes. The work was directed by Mr. Johnson, who displayed a great deal of nerve. As soon as he was taken out he was removed to his home in Muttonville. Drs. Mallory and Hicks of Bristol and Smith and Jewett of Canandaigua attended him. Besides the severe burns above mentioned, he received an ugly cut in the right side near the short ribs, about five inches in length and which almost laid bare the abdominal cavity. This was done by the cog wheels. His friends will be glad to learn that he is improving rapidly. When a Journal representative called Wednesday evening, he was feeling very comfortable.

From Geneva Gazette 12 August 1887

Washington Street has been the scene of a number of nocturnal disturbances the past six months participated in by persons who have imbibed a great deal more bad whiskey and effervescent beer than was good for them.  Saturday night last there was another characteristic row on the street, and one man, Edward Divany, received a cut in his cheek, while his opponent, William Peterson, (a Swede) suffered an abrasion of the cuticle on his left shoulder.  Sunday Divany swore out a warrant for Peterson charging him with assault in the second degree, alleging that Peterson struck him on the cheek with a knife, or other sharp instrument.  Peterson was arrested and the examination was held Monday morning before Police Justice Sweeney.  Both parties acknowledged that they had been drinking, and Divany showed the evidence of the assault on his cheek.  Peterson denied that he had used a knife or other sharp instrument, but in his broken English asserted that Divany struck him first, knocking him down, and that in self defense as Divany was coming for him again he picked up a stone and struck him (Divany) in the face with it.  On his admission the judge held him to await the action of the next grand jury.

From Ontario County Journal 2 September 1887

Michael Needham, of Phelps, was on trial before Justice John B. Hall Wednesday and Thursday on a charge of being a disorderly person. The basis of the charge was neglect and non-support of his family. The case was not finished yesterday but was adjourned.

From Ontario County Times 7 September 1887

E. W. Gardner, Esq., of this village, as the attorney of Miss Estella Duffin, of Farmington, has brought an action for breach of promise against Henry Broomfield, the damages to the plaintiff's affections being placed at $2000.

From Geneva Gazette 23 September 1887

Mrs. J. A. Henry, of Gorham, was awarded the first premium -- a $60 Magee standard range -- at the recent State fair for the best collection of bake-stuffs, including white and brown breads, raised biscuit, cookies, doughnuts, loaf cake, sponge cake, coconut cake, lemon and apple pies -- ten dishes in all.  Mrs. Henry also won $40 in premiums on other exhibits.  It is the second range she has won, the first being awarded to her at the State fair three years ago.

From Ontario County Times 28 September 1887

Allen's Hill, N. Y. -  G. W. Peck
met with quite a serious accident last Thursday while driving home from East Bloomfield on a load of apple barrels. The wagon struck a stone in the road throwing him to the ground, fracturing one of his limbs; as there was no one near to assist him, he succeeded in crawling on the wagon and drove home a distance of about two miles. Dr. Sayre reduced the fracture and he is doing well at the present writing.

From Geneva Gazette 30 September 1887

On Monday last, a farmer named Lyman Holcomb, of South Bristol, went to Canandaigua with a load of hops, which he sold to T. F. Brown for $593.  After receiving the money, he went into a saloon on Bristol street, where he fell in company with Oliver Street, Burt Cornish, John Hughes, and several others.  After drinking quite freely of hops, he engaged in a wrestling match with a man named Cassort, in which he is supposed to have been rolled about the floor considerably.  A short time afterward he discovered that he had but $80 left of $593.  Complaint was made to the police authorities and Street, Cornish & Hughes were arrested.  Ex-Deputy Sheriff Henry Beeman was engaged to work up the matter, and with what success may be seen from the following facts.  He worked most assiduously, and finally got enough out of one of the three, so that he went to the bridge which crosses the Sucker brook, on Chapin street, and in the stone wall he found $160 of the money.  He next went to the room of a certain woman, in the lower part of Main street, where he secured $60 more.  At five o'clock Wednesday morning Mr. Beeman and Justice Gooding went to the saloon of Lehanny, and in the rear of the building, they found a flour sack filled with spearmint, in which they found two fifty dollar bills -- making in all $320 of the $500.

From Ontario County Journal 14 October 1887

Victor, N. Y. -
On Wednesday forenoon, Mrs. Carrie Sale, of Victor, was engaged in burning some rubbish in her back dooryard, when her clothing caught from the flames. Terrified by her condition, she ran to the shoe store of Mr. McVean, near at hand, where prompt assistance was rendered. The flames were smothered with blankets, but not until the unfortunate lady had been seriously burned about the lower limbs and back. Mr. McVean and O. S. Bacon were considerably burned in rendering aid, and the shoe stock was slightly damaged by fire. Although Mrs. Sale's injuries are exceedingly painful, a fatal result is not feared.

From Ontario County Times 19 October 1887

The Phelps Citizen says: "Mr. and Mrs. John M Wood, of Hall's Corners, had an old folks' tea party recently which was greatly enjoyed by a number of invited guests. The combined ages of the sixteen people present were 1134 years. The oldest person was Mrs. J. R. McCauley, 80 years. Mr. Wood's mother spun and wove the tablecloth that was used, and the china ware on the table had been in the family over one hundred yrs."

John Anderson, of this village, will run a 100-yards foot race on Thursday, October 27, with William O'Holloran of Phelps, for $250 a side. The race will come off on the fair grounds in this village.

From Geneva Gazette 21 October 1887

The GAZETTE'S premiums were awarded at the Reed's Corners Fair this month as follows:  For the best specimen of Penmanship by a girl under 12 years of age, to Nora E. Snyer -- aged 11 years -- of Reed's Corners.  The specimen is before us, and we pronounce it a most creditable one indeed for a child of little Nora's years.  The letters are marked for uniformity and symmetry of size and shading.  For the best composition by a girl under 15 years, Ida Dear, Reed's Corners.  This composition has been submitted for our examination.  The subject chosen is the "World's Fair," as the annual gathering at Reed's has become popularly known.  The young writer clearly sets forth the numerous exhibits and incidental attractions which have been for many years combined in the so-called "World's Fair," giving it pre-eminence in the list of such social gatherings.  Her orthography is not wholly faultless, which is the only criticism the composition is subject to.

From Ontario County Times 2 November 1887

On Saturday last, while L. Stanley Willson was engaged in work on the roof of Wm. G. Lightfoote's house, he fell to the ground, a distance of sixteen feet, and received severe internal injuries.

From Ontario County Times 9 November 1887

Nelson Beeman,
an aged and well-known resident of Bristol Springs, attempted to commit suicide on Sunday evening by shooting himself in the head. At last accounts he was living but in a very precarious condition.

From Ontario County Times 30 November 1887

Rushville, N. Y. - Charles H. Green
met with quite an accident on Saturday of last week while driving home from Canandaigua with his wife, whom he had just married. Near Byron Washington's, a colt was loose in the road, and the animal kicked his horse, frightening it so that it jumped out of the road. The buggy was overturned and Mr. and Mrs. Green were thrown out, both of them being quite severely hurt.

Bristol Center, N. Y. -
A very sad accident happened a mile and a half south of the Center, to a young man by the name of Charles Meachard, on Saturday. He was out hunting, and as he was on his way home, his gun was accidentally discharged, and the contents lodged in the ankle and limb. Dr. Beahan, of Canandaigua, was summoned, and he found that amputation would be necessary.

From Ontario County Journal 23 December 1887

Last Saturday about eleven o'clock the team of Harlan M. Fisher of Bristol ran away on Main street. One of the horses kicked Mr. Fisher near the ankle and knocked him down. He was unconscious for a moment and unable to control the team. The horses started up Main street and turning in near Supplee's furnishing goods store struck a post and stopped. No damage was done to the wagon except that the tongue was broken. Mr. Fisher's injuries were not severe although they prevented his attendance this week at the school which he is teaching.

Return to Ontario County Homepage

Copyright 2005-16, Ontario County NYGenWeb and each contributor and author of materials herein. All rights reserved.