Miscellaneous News of Ontario County


From Ontario County Journal 1 January 1886

Rushville, N. Y. - A load of hay overturned with Mr. Wm. Huie as he was coming down the county line road to this village on Saturday afternoon of last week. Mr. Huie was thrown to the frozen ground and sustained a very dangerous fracture of the hip. The citizens gave expression to their sympathy for Mr. H. in this misfortune by making a "pound offering" on Tuesday of this week for his benefit.

From Geneva Gazette 8 January 1886

Oaks Corners - What might have been a serious accident happened last Saturday to  Mrs. Clark Swan of Melvin Hill, while driving.  When nearly to Mr. O'Shea's just north of the Corners, one of the little O'Shea boys happened to run out with a flag which so frightened the horse that he wheeled suddenly around throwing Mrs. Swan out of the carriage and bruising her badly.  The horse ran back to Mr. Oscar Whitney's, where he was secured by Henry Whitney.  The carriage escaped with a badly torn top and a few scratches.

From Ontario County Times 13 January 1886

Shortsville, N. Y. -
Mrs. Hannah Jessup, one of our most respected citizens, who has been a resident of this village for some twenty odd years, was agreeably surprised last Wednesday morning by the unexpected arrival of several of her brothers and sisters from Newark and vicinity, who took that pleasant method of celebrating her 72nd birthday. Mrs. Jessup was the third of a family of eleven children, seven girls and four boys. Three of her sisters have departed this life, and the youngest of the family now living has reached the age of 52 years. Her father, Silas Pierson, removed from Long Island to what is known as the Pierson farm near Hydesville, at an early day and the place has never passed out of the family, it now being owned by a son-in-law, Artemus Hyde. Present on this happy occasion were Samuel Pierson and wife, Henry R. Pierson and wife, George H. Pierson and wife, Mrs. Phoebe Bailey, and Mrs A. W. Hyde. Mrs. Jessup has two sons residing in this village, and on this occasion we, in common with her many friends, extend hearty congratulations and wish for her many happy returns.

From Ontario County Times 20 January 1886

Mrs. Albert Smith,
living about a mile east of Centerfield in this town, had a narrow escape from death on Monday morning. She attempted to blow out a kerosene lamp when it exploded and threw the burning oil over her dress. Instantly she was enveloped in flames, but with rare presence of mind rushed out of the house and threw herself into the snow succeeded in extinguishing the fire. She was badly burned, however, about the face and breast and will be laid up for some weeks.

From Ontario County Times 3 February 1886

Victor, N. Y. -  Frank Cobb
and wife had a narrow escape from suffocation by coal gas on Wednesday night. The coal stove in their sleeping apartment was filled in the evening, and in replacing the cover after filling, a small lump of coal prevented the cover from closing as tightly as it should, thereby permitting a slow but continual escape of gas through the night. Mrs. Cobb retired about 8 o'clock. Mr. Cobb went to Rochester in the afternoon, returning late in the evening, noticed the smell of gas in the room and examined the stove to ascertain its source of escape, but at the time could find none, and concluded that it had escaped from the stove when it was being filled. He retired about 11 o'clock. He awoke about 7 o'clock Thursday morning, and upon attempting to dress found himself unable to do so from weakness, but managed to get to the window and called the attention of Mr. Dunlap, who was passing, by rapping on the window, sent for his sister and the doctor, and crawled back to bed until relief came. They were very ill for a time, but it will probably result in no serious injury. It was a close call, and they may consider themselves very fortunate in having escaped with their lives.

From Ontario County Times 10 February 1886

Seneca Castle, N. Y. - 
We are pleased to record the fact that last Wednesday evening there assembled at Judge Ottley's a large family gathering of nearly four score persons, mainly members of the Porter family, one of whom only remains with us, viz: Mr. Joshua Porter, who resides in Phelps. There were two brothers in Orleans county, and two sisters here, one of whom married Mr. Ira Peck, the other Mr. Thomas Ottley, father of the numerous Ottley family residing here. They have all been dead some years except "Uncle Josh," as he is called by the entire community. He was present and enlivened the time with his tenor violin, manufactured by himself sixty-four years ago. He had there also his book of patent notes that he bought sixty years since. The time passed off pleasantly with vocal and instrumental music. The refreshments were very fine, as was to be expected by all who have been cognizant of the performances of the amiable hostess on former occasions. Mr. Porter, who is eighty-two years old, added much to the enjoyment of the occasion by recounting his exploits of ancient and modern times. Last winter he cut a tree down that was three feet in diameter and sawed it into logs for the mill, and even this winter has cut down a tree two feet through and cut it up for stave bolts. As to his walking, he will beat in speed and endurance one-half of our young men, and often gives surprising feats in this line. His eyesight is almost entirely unimpaired, so that he can read ordinary print with ease by the naked eye.

From Neapolitan Record 24 February 1886

Mrs. Noyce
was badly injured by the collision of the sleigh she was riding in with a loaded sleigh. Eugene Sanford with his family and Mrs. Noyce were coming up the hill south of Cheshire when they met Mark Simmons with a load of grain and the sleighs collided, upsetting Mr. Sanford's sleigh and holding Mrs. Noyce under the box; she was dragged some distance breaking two or three ribs and otherwise injuring her.

From Ontario County Journal 26 February 1886

Shortsville, N. Y. - Mr. Zadok Warfield
celebrated his 78th birthday on the 15th of February at his home in Littleville. Several members of the family were present and assisted in making the occasion a very pleasant one. He came from Frederick county, Maryland, in 1828, and has ever since resided in Littleville -- a period of 58 years. His wife will be 73 years of age on the 27th of this month. Eight children - the oldest being 52 years and the youngest 34 - were born to them, all of whom are still living., their aggregated ages being 352 years. No deaths have as yet occurred among the children or grandchildren, there being nineteen of the latter. Mr. and Mrs. Warfield celebrated their 53d wedding anniversary on the 25th of last December. Such instances of family relations being undisturbed by the visitation of death are extremely rare, and we sincerely trust that many long years may intervene before the family circle is broken. Father Warfield has two brothers and one sister living - John, E. J. and Elizabeth, (the latter being an invalid, not having been able to walk for two years or more), aged 76, 65 and 63 years respectively; also a great aunt of the writer, (aunt of Zadok and John, living with John), the oldest person in the town of Manchester, named Dorcas Chambers, in her 94th year. Mother Warfield is one of seven sisters and one brother living, the oldest now 75 and the youngest over 50 years. Father and mother have lived 48 years where they now do. Mother was born on the adjoining farm, and has always lived in sight of her birthplace.

From Ontario County Journal 5 March 1886

Reed's Corners, N. Y. -
On Monday afternoon of this week John Jobson and Benjamin Meens, two young men residing here, met with a serious accident coming from Canandaigua. Jobson was driving a spirited team before a heavy lumber wagon, Meens riding with him. One of the bits broke and also the lines, Jobson thus losing control of the horses, when they began to run, throwing both young men out upon the frozen ground at what is known as the Poplar Corners. Both men were injured badly about the head. Meens was insensible when picked up shortly afterward by Mr. and Mrs. Russel Henry, who fortunately happened along and who took him into Mr. Dewey's near by. Word was sent to the Corners, and Mr. Wm. Bain at once took a buggy and brought him home. At the time of writing he still lies at the house of his father, unconscious in a great measure. Dr. Shannon says, however, that the prospects are that he will come out all right, which we sincerely hope may be the case. The team and wagon were recovered not much injured, we understand. Jobson's bruises are not so serious as those of Meens, and it is probable that he will be all right in a few days, as he was able to drive the team home. They were stopped after running about a mile and a half from the scene of the accident.

From Geneva Gazette 12 March 1886

Rumor has it that Dr. Skinner of Flint Creek followed Mrs. Frank M. Dodge to Canada about two weeks ago, when and where they were privately married, and that from thence they faced towards Michigan where they are to settle down to a quiet farm life.

From Ontario County Journal 19 March 1886

East Bloomfield, N. Y. -
Last Saturday Mr. Edward Clarey of this place, while engaged in thrashing clover seed in Richmond, had the misfortune to have his left hand caught in the cylinder and so badly injured that it was found necessary to amputate the arm at the elbow. The operation was performed at Stouts Hotel, Honeoye, by Dr. Greene.

From Ontario County Times 24 March 1886

Matthew Macy
of Richmond Mills attempted suicide by cutting his throat one day recently, but the prompt effort of surgeons saved his life. Macy is said to be a confirmed opium eater and is at times uncontrollable.

From Ontario County Times 31 March 1886

A most brutal stabbing affray occurred on Sunday in this village in the saloon pompously named the "Casino," which is managed by Homer Chase. We have found it difficult to obtain the exact particulars, but from all accounts it appears that about 4 o'clock two young men, Carlos French and George Williams, entered the saloon by the rear door with the intention of getting something to drink. Edward Fleming, the barkeeper, it is alleged, ordered the men to leave. High words followed, then scuffling, and then a desperate struggle, which ended with the drawing of a knife by French and the stabbing of the barkeeper in the back. The blade cut a deep and dangerous gash in Flemming's right shoulder, but fortunately did not reach a vital organ, and unless inflammation sets in, is not likely to be attended with fatal results. The wounded man has been taken to Mr. White's residence north of the village, and at last accounts his condition was considered favorable to recovery. The struggle was witnessed both by Williams and by an employee of the establishment named Johnson, who was sleeping when the visitors entered, but was awakened by the subsequent quarrel. It is a fair presumption that all the parties to the disgraceful affair were more or less under the influence of liquor. Williams and French had been drinking before they entered the "Casino." French was arrested on a charge of attempted manslaughter, and his examination, begun yesterday before Police Justice Gooding, is being continued today. It will undoubtedly result in his being held to await the action of the Grand Jury.

From Ontario County Times 14 April 1886

Naples, N. Y. - Basile Kaltenbach
met with a serious accident on Thursday last, by which he lost the end of his thumb and finger on the left hand. He was blasting out some rock in the glen on his premises, and while preparing a charge accidentally dropped the cartridge of nitro-glycerine while placing it, when it exploded, taking off the thumb and forefinger at the first joint of each as cleanly as if it had been done with a knife. No other serious harm was done, but Basile feels that it was a very narrow escape.

From Ontario County Times 21 April 1886

The Phelps Citizen tells a story to the effect that Anson C. Loomis, of Oaks Corners, and other Loomis families, have suddenly found themselves heirs to property which, it is said, amounts to $150,000,000. Seven title deeds on parchment in the Dutch language were found in an old bureau drawer, on removing a square piece of tin which had been nailed on, as it was supposed to hide a defect. Part of this property is some 50,000 acres of land in New Jersey, which was leased for 99 years, and which lease will soon expire. The real estate in New York city, as well as the other, was owned by a Mrs. Provost and these Loomis families are the heirs.

From Ontario County Times 5 May 1886

A horse driven by Mrs. Gaines Randall, of Manchester, became frightened on Main street in this village last Thursday and overturned the buggy. Mrs. Randall was severely cut about the face.

From Ontario County Journal 7 May 1886

A very painful accident occurred to Mr. Charles Parshall of Cheshire, at Victor on Thursday of last week. He was engaged in putting up a telephone line for Dr. Mead. and in moving a ladder with sharp spikes in the bottom, it accidentally fell and the spike penetrated his left foot, making a severe and painful wound. Another young man named Taylor of Cheshire, was injured a few days ago by falling from a tree on Bristol street while working on a telephone line.

From Geneva Gazette 14 May 1886

Whirled in the Cruel Wheels - As Mr. S. D. Willard was returning home from his nurseries on Tuesday evening last he noticed a team of horses attached to a wagon running away across a field.  Mr. Willard says he did not feel like chasing a running team across fields as he thought they would come to a stop sooner or later anyway, but the thought suddenly flashed across his mind that there was undoubtedly some one with the team and as his eye glanced across the field he perceived a black object lying motionless on the ground.  At first he thought it was a stump, but upon closer inspection he made up his mind that it was a human being.  Jumping from his carriage he ran to the object, and judge of his surprise and horror when he beheld before him, apparently lifeless, the body of Mr. William Tills.  Mr. Willard immediately procured assistance, Mr. Tills was gently rolled on a horse blanket and as tenderly as possible lifted into the wagon.  Mr. Tills had recovered sufficiently to state that in attempting to stop his team running away, in some manner he was thrown into the wheels, whirled round and round and at last cast bleeding and almost lifeless on the ground.  He was taken to his home, Dr. Eddy was summoned who made an examination of the injured man.  It was found that his left leg was broken in two places, his right leg in one place while he was severely bruised all over the body, and it is thought that one or more ribs were cracked.  Dr. Eddy reduced the fractures and made the injured man as comfortable as possible, but it is extremely doubtful if he recovers from his injuries and the severe shock that his system sustained.

From Ontario County Times 16 June 1886

Rushville, N. Y. -
A very delightful occasion called together half a hundred or more people at the residence of N. H. Green, Esq., last Friday afternoon, June 4. It was the eighty-fourth birthday of Mrs. Catharine Fisher, who has been making it her home for several months with the family of Mr. Green. The afternoon was passed very pleasantly. The guests were nearly all relatives of Mrs. Fisher, who is most highly esteemed by all who know her. The aggregate age of three old ladies present is 250 years. Refreshments were served by Mr. and Mrs. Green, who assisted Mrs. F. in the generous entertainment provided, and played the part of host and hostess very acceptably. The kindness and generosity of Mrs. Fisher are a.most proverbial, and her thoughtfulness of the welfare of her relatives and friends was never more fully evidenced than in connection with the event we chronicle. Several useful and elegant presents made to her showed that her kindness was most heartily appreciated. May she behold many returns of her anniversary day.

From Ontario County Times 30 June 1886

During the storm of last Friday morning, Mr. Richard Preston, living near Stanley in this county, was knocked down by lightning while in a field unhitching his horses from a plow. He fortunately escaped serious injury, but, strange to relate, the electric fluid struck in the same field on the afternoon of the same day. A man in the employ of Mr. Preston had continued the work of plowing, and on the approach of a thunder shower had unhitched his horses and tied them to neighboring posts on the line of a wire fence. He then started for the barn near by, but had hardly gained its shelter when the storm burst upon the field with a terrific flash of lightning, and he immediately discovered that the lightning had struck the fence and knocked both horses down, killing one of them instantly.

Mr. Fred McGough, of this village, was very dangerously injured one day last week, while engaged in a game of base ball. He was struck in the side of the head with the ball, and for four days afterwards was unconscious, and is still in a very critical condition.

Mr. James Driscoll, of Stanley, made his appearance behind the bat for the Rochester nine last week, and was frequently applauded by the spectators for his brilliant plays. Mr. Driscoll several years ago caught for the Academy nine of this village.

From Geneva Gazette 9 July 1886

Michael Rogan,
who is employed on the Coal trestles, jumped from the 4:45 train going east last Tuesday. The train was going a little faster than he expected no doubt, for he stumbled and fell, cutting quite a severe gash on his chin. The wound was properly dressed and he will be all right probably in a few days.

From Ontario County Times 14 July 1886

Isaac Thatcher, of Shortsville, was dangerously injured last Wednesday while at work taking down an old barn on the premises of Stephen Smith in Farmington. A heavy oak rafter fell upon his head and knocked him to the floor senseless, cutting a gash over five inches long, but fortunately not fracturing the skull. It is believed that he will recover.

From Ontario County Times 21 July 1886

Mr. Frank Smith,
of this village, has joined the Little Falls base ball club.

From Ontario County Journal 23 July 1886

Gorham, N. Y. -
During the storm on Saturday evening last, about 11 o'clock, lightning struck the telephone wire running between the house of Wm. Millspaugh and that of James Smith. Mr. Smith was quite severely shocked; so much so as to disable him at present for work. His watch hung on a nail in his room. The crystal was melted, the clothing and carpet set on fire, but it was extinguished. The lightning entered the room below, ran up the stove pipe into Mrs. Smith's sleeping room and melted three thicknesses of wire on the stove pipe. Most of the work seems to have been on the Smith end of the line. It slivered a few sidings on Mr. Millspaugh's house, but caused no shock. This is the second time this summer that telephone wires have been struck by lightning in this place. The people are getting afraid of them.

From Ontario County Times 28 July 1886

Another lot of Fresh Air children will arrive in Canandaigua on the 4th of August. They will be entertained for a couple of weeks by and at the expense of charitably disposed citizens, whose names are given below: Hattie E. Henry, 2; Miss Phelps, lower Main street, 2; Mrs. John B. Cooley, 2; John Maltman, 3; Geo. W. Latham, 2; Mrs. Fred Alverson, 1; Dr. John Potter, 2; Mrs. Caroline B. Cook, 1; Mrs. Mary C. Worthington, 1; Mrs. O. J. Cooley, 2; Miss Ann Hall, 2; Mrs. McGowan, 1; Mrs. Geo. Blanchard, 3; Mrs. Burton Smith, 1; Mrs. N. Grimes, 2; Mrs. Levi Brown, Padelford, 3; Geo. B. Anderson, 1; Mrs. James S. McKechnie, 1.

From Ontario County Journal 30 July 1886

On Tuesday afternoon last about three o'clock, as James Hefferson, a young farmer living near Seneca Castle, about six miles from Geneva, was engaged in cutting bands on shocks of grain with a large meat knife, he met with a severe accident. In grasping the band with the left hand, he raised is right one holding the knife to cut it, when another shock was dropped upon it, striking the knife as the stroke was made. This held the knife on his wrist and a deep gash was made in it, severing several arteries and causing a great flow. He was brought to Geneva as quickly as possible and surgical assistance rendered. At last accounts he was doing nicely.

From Ontario County Times 4 August 1886

The following young ladies, known as the "Nixies," are spending a week at the "Benedict Cottage": Emily Steele, Libbie Steele, Hattie Dowding, of East Bloomfield; Cora Hatch, of West Bloomfield; Rona Weller, Edith Weller, Belle Reynolds, Ida Bently, Mattie Thrall, Lucy Beal, Belle Doane, Louise Doane, Nettie Van Sickle, Julia Booth of Shortsville; Hattie Howland of Manchester; Emma Martin of Chapinsville; Mollie Utt, of Union Springs; Nellie Doane of Syracuse; Minnie Godfrey of Canandaigua; and Ada Hall of Walworth.

From Geneva Gazette 13 August 1886

A dispatch from West Bloomfield to the Democrat and Chronicle says a strong vein of gas was struck on the Reed farm near Honeoye yesterday afternoon, at a depth of 675 feet.

From Ontario County Journal 20 August 1886

Frank Bell, of Honeoye, while gunning recently with some friends, unexpectedly came in range just as one of them shot at a bird, and received the whole charge of shot in his breast and face. One shot entered one of his eyes, destroying the sight. Aside from that he escaped injury, but his face is badly scarred.

From Ontario County Journal 27 August 1886

Hopewell, N. Y. - Mrs. George Brundage met with a sad accident last week. She was riding in a democrat wagon with her husband, when the hind seat she was sitting on let her fall over back. She struck on her head, hurting her very badly. At last accounts she had not revived yet from the shock.

From Ontario County Times 1 September 1886

Mr. John Travis,
of Bristol, has shown us a curious relic which he found some weeks since while working in a hop yard. It is nothing more nor less than an ancient brass button. It is of a large size, and around its edge are the words "Long Live the President," and in the center in larger characters are the initials "G. W." Mr. Travis says that some time ago he found in the same field a brass button of about the same size, which had a row of stars about its edge but no lettering. They both undoubtedly date back to the time of George Washington's administration.

From Ontario County Journal 3 September 1886

Victor, N. Y. - John E. Gillson and Miss Jennie Mills, both of Victor, were rowing upon Sodus Bay early last Sunday evening, when they attempted to change seats in their boat. Miss Mills was frightened, and making a misstep, the boat was suddenly overturned, and the couple thrown out into the water. Gillson is a strong swimmer, and with presence of mind, seized Miss Mills. Both of them held on to the boat for their lives. Fortunately it was not dark, and their struggles in the water, a mile from land, happened to be seen by a farmer on the land. He pushed off in his boat to Gillson and Miss Mills, and in half an hour succeeded in returning them safely to shore.

From Ontario County Times 8 September 1886

Reed's Corner, N. Y. - 
Among the preserved papers found in the town clerk's office of the town of Gorham may be found the following manumission of a slave in the year 1821, while slavery still existed in the State of New York. "To all to whom these presents shall come, greetings: I, Robert Buchan, of the town of Gorham, County of Ontario, and State of New York, hereby for myself, my heirs, executors, and administrators, manumit and set free a negro woman slave, named Bettie or Betsey, aged about seventy years, belonging to the subscriber. The above certificate of manumission is at the request and solicitation of the negro woman herself. Witness my hand this 29th day of Sept., 1821. Robert Buchan."

From Ontario County Times 15 September 1886

Bristol, N. Y. - Lafayette Gladding
and his two sons, Eben and Sylvester, met with quite a serious accident last Friday. While they were all at work shingling their barn, they at the same time stood on one board, which was not strong enough for the occasion; consequently they were precipitated to a big manure pile below, with pieces of the stage following them in their trip toward the center. Lafayette had his right arm broken above the elbow, Eben had three ribs and a collar bone broken, and Sylvester escaped with a broken nose and some scratches about the head. Dr. Green was summoned and attended to their many wounds. At this writing we understand they are doing as well as could be expected.

Victor, N. Y. - Mr. George N. West received severe injuries from a fall off the back stairway at his residence a few days ago, caused by the giving away of the hand rail, fracturing his collar bone and breaking some of his ribs. He is reported in a critical condition and doubts are entertained of his recovery.

From Ontario County Journal 17 September 1886

The descendants of Nathan Herendeen held their fourth annual reunion on the grounds of Gardner L. Sheldon, at Farmington, on Wednesday of last week. There was a large number present, and the day was spent very pleasantly. Officers for the ensuing year were chosen as follows: C. H. Herendeen, President; Mrs. Hannah Herendeen, Secretary; John Harmer, Treasurer. Vice-Presidents were elected from every branch of the family, viz: Wilkinson A. Herendeen, Oscar D. Herendeen, Mrs. S. E. Everett, Mr. Simeon Porter, Mrs. Cholett Collins, Miss Libbie Hathaway, Mrs. A. Alspaugh, Sidney Durfee.

An exciting runaway occurred on Main Street last evening about five o'clock. Mr. Elmer Stanley, a man employed by Chas. E. Tuttle, was driving "Whittaker Boy," Will L. Smith's trotter down Main St., when opposite the M. E. Church the horse threw his check rein off, and immediately after it was adjusted, he started at a terrific rate down the street. In front of the Webster House there were so many vehicles the driver was compelled to turn in on Coy street, and in so doing narrowly escaped running over several bystanders. In the stampede Frankie Boswell was thrown into the gutter and the buggy passed over him without injury. One wheel of the buggy was completely demolished but no other serious damage was done. The horse stopped immediately after the crash and remained perfectly still.

From Ontario County Times 29 September 1886

Last Saturday, the 25th, the friends and relatives of Mrs. Lavina Tiffany gathered around her to celebrate her ninetieth birthday. The number was not so large as usual, but few of the grand children and great-grand-children being present, owing to the feeble health of the old lady. Mrs. Tiffany has seven children, nineteen grandchildren and fourteen great-grandchildren. The sons and daughters present were Mr. Chas. Tiffany of Springwater; Mr. Joseph Tiffany of East Bloomfield; Mrs. J. C. Backus of Lockport, Ill.; Mrs. Sarah Norton of Albion, Mich.; Mrs. Luther Lyon of Philadelphia; and Mrs. Angeline Wells of this place. In addition to these there were guests from Syracuse, Waterport, Gaines, and East Bloomfield. One daughter, Mrs. Short, was unable to be present on account of ill health. Many little tokens of respect and esteem were received, some from distant friends, and the day passed off very happily to the aged lady and the guests assembled to do her honor. At the close of the dinner, a birthday greeting which was sent by another lady of the same age was read.

From Ontario County Journal 29 October 1886

Gorham, N. Y. - Wm. Caward
and wife had a serious accident on Friday of last week. They were a mile west of the village, on the Rushville road, returning home from a visit in Steuben county, when a tug unhooked. The horses were frightened, jumped, and let the tongue down, and they were violently thrown from the wagon. Mrs. C.'s  arm was broken, and she was otherwise quite severely injured. Mr. C. was so stunned that at first he was thought to be dead, but after a little he came to, but was quite seriously bruised. They were taken into the house of W. F. Hankinson, where they were well cared for. On Monday they were able to be moved to their own home, and are now doing well.

From From Ontario County Times 3 November 1886

Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Johnson,
of this village, have lost three bright boys by diphtheria within a week. They have the sympathy of the entire community in their sad affliction.

From Ontario County Journal 5 November 1886

North Bloomfield, N. Y. - James Dawley met with a severe accident a few weeks ago. He was helping move a stove, and stumbled and fell, his hand having hold of the sharp edge of the stove and striking a flag stone, which severed three of his fingers, two being left on the stone.

From Geneva Gazette 5 November 1886

On Saturday evening last while in a slightly befuddled condition, John Welch, who lives about three miles north of Geneva, walked off the steamboat dock into the lake.  Some one happened to see him when he fell in, and Welch was immediately rescued and sent home.

From Geneva Gazette 19 November 1886

One of the saddest incidents connected with the recent heavy snow-storm was the serious injury sustained by Mr. Milton Wheeler who resides on Elm street.  He was walking along Exchange street and happened to be directly under the large wooden awning erected on Mr. M. W. Hemiup's building, when it was carried down by the weight of the snow.  Mr. Wheeler suffered a broken arm and a broken leg besides internal injuries.  He is receiving good medical attendance and there is ever prospect that he will recover.  No amount of money however could adequately recompense him for the days and weeks of intense suffering he will have to undergo before he can possibly recover the use of his limbs.  Either the village or Mr. Hemiup should be held responsible to the sufferer for his injuries.

Without doubt the oldest monument in this county, and among the oldest in the western part of the State, is at Hathaway Corners in the town of Farmington, this county.  It was erected to the memory of Mrs. Isaac Hathaway in 1793.  Isaac Hathaway came to this section of country about the year 1780, purchasing six or seven hundred acres of land at what is know as Hathaway's Corners, the garden spot of Ontario county.  The first frame building (a barn) erected in the town of Farmington was built upon this place by Mr. Hathaway, and it was destroyed by fire only a few years ago.  The old homestead is the property of Mr. J. P. Hathaway, and there not a more nicely situated farm residence within the borders of the State, nor is there a more productive farm in the County.  Long may he live to enjoy his inheritance.  Victor Herald.

From Ontario County Journal 3 December 1886

Clifton Springs, N. Y. -
The morning papers of last Saturday contained telegraphic reports of a case before Judge Arnold, in Philadelphia, in which Mrs. Geo. N. Brown, formerly Miss Mary Selleck, of Clifton Springs, was an interested party. The report says: "A very pretty, prepossessing blonde is Mrs. George Norman Brown, who was Miss Mary Selleck of Clifton Springs, N. Y. This morning she sat in Judge Arnold's court and asked that her husband be made to support her. Miss Selleck was living with her mother in Clifton Springs in February, 1884, when the clerk in the village drug store, an elderly man of good habits, asked the privilege of introducing his friend, George Norman Brown, the son of Edward H. Brown of Germantown. Miss Selleck gave her permission and the introduction was accomplished. 'My mother was very sick at this time,' said Mrs. Brown to a reporter this morning, 'and I had to meet George elsewhere than at home. We had a rendezvous, however, and there we used to have our clandestine meetings. George told me that he was a nephew of John Wanamaker, and that he was a millionaire in his own right. Two weeks after he met me he proposed marriage to me. I married him on June 23d of the same year. Rev. Dr. James Rankine of Geneva performed the ceremony. I never saw such a change in a man as in Mr. Brown after the marriage. He had been tender and thoughtful and affectionate, but after the marriage he was indifferent to me. He treated me with absolute contempt, and then told me he was simply fooling when he said he was a millionaire in his own right; that he did like me at first because I had a pretty face, but that he had tired of me then. One day about five weeks after we had been married he came to me and said that he had to go to Philadelphia to see his mother. He borrowed all the money that I had, and assured me that he would return in two days. If he did not get back by that time, I was to go to Philadelphia. He did not come, and I went to Philadelphia, but could not find him. I never saw him again until last July, when I met him in the office of John Scullay of 138 South Thirtieth street.' In the hearing before Judge Arnold, Lawyer Sculley, Mrs. Brown's counsel, exhibited several letters from Episcopal clergymen in the vicinity of Clifton Springs, Miss Selleck's birthplace.

'If it please the court,' said Mr. Brown's counsel, 'my client has been petted all his life. He has been supplied with money by his father, and has never been made to work; in addition he is an habitual drunkard, and he was on a spree when he married the young woman, and she ought to have known it. I do not know where he is now. The last that was heard from him tended to show that was in the west. I emphatically insist that he was not responsible when he married the woman.' 'That does not matter,' decided Judge Arnold. 'Brown must pay $8 a week for the support of his wife.' " Young Brown at the time he met Miss Selleck was stopping at the Clifton Springs Sanitarium and was a very handsome young man and to all appearances very respectable. It was generally known, however, among those best informed that he was rather fast. Mrs. Brown was a young lady of good reputation, though moderate circumstances, and her sportive husband should in all justice be made to support her as handsomely as he is able.

From Geneva Gazette 9 December 1886

The little village of Manchester is considerably excited over the sudden and strange disappearance of Paul Wooden, who left home to go to work November 17th, and he has not been seen or heard from since.  He has a wife and three children, and two married daughters, all of whom are greatly alarmed as to his whereabouts and are doing everything in their power to find him.

From Ontario County Journal 24 December 1886

Flint Creek, N. Y. - Quite a number of cases of typhoid fever have been reported in town but as yet only one person has died. W. H. Crittenden is recovering rapidly, Oliver Covert's condition is thought to be very critical.

A very exciting runaway took place on Main street last Saturday evening about five o'clock. Leonard Phillips of Cheshire, while transacting some business in the office of McKechnie's brewery, left his team attached to a lumber wagon in charge of his eight year old son. A train of cars passing the brewery frightened the horses and a very lively runaway up Buffalo street and down Main street ensued. When nearly opposite the Academy the panic-stricken boy jumped from the wagon bruising himself slightly but fortunately receiving no injuries. The horses continued their mad course down Main street until nearly opposite Grimes's grocery store when they collided with the horse and dray wagon of "Corkey" Welch. They were going with such a great velocity that the thill of Welch's cart penetrated the breast of one of the horses to the depth of about 25 inches causing death in a very short time. Fortunately the horse which was killed was valued at only seventy-five dollars, while its mate was a valuable animal. The wagon remained right side up throughout the course of the run and no damage was done except to Welch's cart and horse and to the team. The little boy was picked up by James Orr and carried to Simmon's drug store where he soon recovered from his fright.

Return to the Ontario Co. GenWeb page

Copyright 2002-15, Ontario County NYGenWeb and each contributor and author of materials herein. All rights reserved

Updated 28 January 2012