From Ontario County Times 1 January 1879

On Monday morning last, Wm. Hankerson, Jr., of Gorham, met with a serious and extremely painful accident, by which he lost his left hand. He was working around a husking machine, and, in some manner, his hand was caught in the machinery and drawn in above the wrist. Dr. Van Dusen of Gorham was called and the hand was amputated at the wrist joint. We are unable to learn whether the young man is out of danger, but as it is feared a second amputation will be necessary, should presume his condition is somewhat precarious.

From Ontario County Journal 10 January 1879

Team in the Lake -
On Monday last, Mr. George C. Mather, whose farm is about four miles up the west side of the Lake, was driving to town, the snow drifts compelling him to follow unusual courses. Near the Dixon farm he was driving near the lake shore and ventured upon the ice which broke and let his team through into the water and mire below. The water was not very deep, so there was no danger of drowning, but the horses were in the water about an hour before being finally brought out to a solid and safe understanding.

From Phelps Citizen 16 January 1879

A few years ago a man named Charles Alden made himself notorious at Oaks Corners by his dissolute habits, reckless manners and wild living. Some time ago he went to Detroit, and was employed in the railway yards. It was reported that he was married. After a time, complaining of ill health, he returned, bringing with him a woman, whom he called his wife. The two lived together about three miles east of Oaks Corners, until about two weeks ago, when the reputed wife returned west. No disturbance was known to have occurred between them, however, and no suspicions were aroused. Meantime, he became very intimate with his sister's daughter, Emma J. Avery, yet his open manifestations were no more than might be indulged in by an affectionate uncle. The girl is a good-looking blonde, of seventeen years of age, but of more than ordinary development.

On Thursday evening, the young lady retired as usual to her room, but not to sleep, for after 10 o'clock she and Alden walked the three miles from her father's home to Oaks Corners. The heavy roads retarded them so that they missed the 11 o'clock train, which in fact does not make a stop at that station. They then went to the hotel and aroused the proprietor, who did not recognize either of the couple as they entered, and the man said they were belated and wanted accommodations for the night. In the morning they left by the early train for Rochester.

The same morning, the father found that his daughter was not at home, and began an investigation, which resulted in ascertaining that Alden and the young lady had taken the train for Rochester. He, in company with a brother, then started for the city, taking with them photographs of the couple. Chief of Police McLean offered them every facility to aid in their capture, but as nothing has been heard from them, it is thought they may have gone farther west. Alden is 31 years of age, dark eyes and moustache, course and large, and has a reputation anything but good.

From Geneva Gazette 17 January 1879

A Relic of 30 Years Ago -
Among the effects of the late Matthew Easterbrook was found a small group photograph of several members of the old Geneva Brass Band.  The number of figures appearing in it is seven, just one-half that of the Band as it was then constituted.  They appear in full uniform, instruments in hand.  The original picture, dingy with the age of 30 years, has been admirably raised to Cabinet size by Jas. G. Vail, artist, and the faces drawn out with distinct clearness making (to us) each familiar face easily recognizable.  The persons represented are:
M. Easterbrook, Eb cornet (lately deceased)
P. J. Dorchester, Bb cornet
Richard Hatch, Bb cornet
Henry G. Fleming, alto - deceased in 1855
George Griggs, baritone
Phil. Rupert, bass
S. N. Anthony, bass
If we mistake not a Mr. Boswell was leader of the Band at this time, and other members were Sam'l Green, Chas. H. Tileston, S. H. Parker -- the two drummers we cannot recall to mind.

From Ontario County Times 22 January 1879

Mr. Wareham Sheldon
of Geneva is probably one of the oldest voters living in the state. His first presidential ballot was cast in 1808 for James Madison, fourth president of the United States.

Hugh Boles, a farmer in Naples, met with a severe accident last Wednesday, while watering his team near Irvin Ausble's. One of the horses kicked him, fracturing his jaw and inflicting several flesh wounds about the head and shoulders. Dr. Hess was called and dressed the wounds.

From Ontario County Journal 7 February 1879

On Thursday of last week William Tracy, of this village, was brought before Police Justice Hall, on the charge of disorderly and indecent conduct on the streets - the offense including profane and obscene language in the hearing of ladies. Tracy pleaded guilty, and after giving him a severe and wholesome admonitory lecture, the court sentenced him to disgorge the amount of $15, as a fine, or stand committed until that financial requirement was met. Justice Hall is determined to make "awful examples" of some of the representative roughs whose language and conduct are offensive to the canons of decency, and this case may be a profitable warning to that class.

Accident -
On Friday last, Albert Miller, a laborer in the   employ of J. Milton Munson of Cheshire, had one hand badly mutilated by the cylinder of a threshing machine which he was feeding. Drs. Bentley and Hutchens amputated one finger, but hope to succeed in saving the rest of the hand.

From Ontario County Journal 14 February 1879

A Mystery Explained -
The sudden disappearance, early in November last, from Fisher's Station, of James E. Bell, a produce dealer, occasioned a genuine surprise and elicited a large amount of unfounded censure against the character of Mr. Bell. Recent developments show the matter in an altogether different light. A letter, lately received, tells a most astonishing story. The scene of the story is Memphis, Tenn. The place a boarding house, or more properly, a hospital for the dead, for bodies have frequently been carried therefrom. It was at this place that Mr. Bell awoke from the death-like spell of the fearful scourge that had numbered its victims by the thousand, and returning consciousness failed to retain any impression of the manner in which he reached there. His money being all gone, leads to the conclusion that he was drugged, robbed, and put on board a steamer and landed at the city where he now is. He is expected home soon and then we may expect to hear the whole story.

From Geneva Gazette 21 February 1879

Mrs. Jane Corey
had the misfortune to meet with an accident last week, falling on the slippery sidewalk on Castle st., dislocating her wrist and injuring her hip -- injuries which will confine her to her house for weeks.

From Ontario County Journal 28 February 1879

The young people of Academy have organized a Social and Literary Club. The first meeting was held last Wednesday evening at the residence of Mr. H. C. Foster, when the following officers were elected:  President, Mr. Frank C. Foster; Vice President, Mrs. Charles Freer; Secretary, Henry Green. The next meeting will be held next Wednesday evening at the residence of Mr. W. L. Foster.

From Geneva Courier 2 March 1879

A Former Genevan - Mrs. Catherine Loper, of Rathboneville, Steuben county, contributes to the Addison Advertiser of last week, a very interesting autobiography.  She was born near Geneva, in April 1789.  When nineteen she was married, by Rev. Mr. Axtel, of Geneva, to John H. Loper, they living together sixty-three years.  About ten years after the marriage they removed to Rathboneville.  In 1834 she joined the M. E. church at Penn Yan.  Mrs. Loper has had thirteen children, and is now in good health and spirits.  Her recital of their early struggles to secure a home is very interesting, and should "set to thinking" the young people of the present who think they have "hard sledding."  She says:

"My companion commenced in great earnest to fell the forest trees, and I determined if constant night and day toil would aid him in providing home for our dear little ones, we would not fail.  I used to pick up brush in the fallow from morning until night, except as I left the field to provide the meals for my family.  I have wandered alone in the woods for miles in search of the cows, when the baying of the wolves were heard on every side, and deer were more plenty and more often seen than domesticated sheep.  I have sawed fifty pine logs a day for a week at a time with the help of my oldest son alone, who was then only twelve years of age.  With his help I sawed with a cross-cut saw the major part of all the logs that my husband got into the mill in winter, and have taken my end of the saw with a strong man, standing for hours at a time in snow knee deep, and never took cold from exposure that I now remember.  I have been left all alone with my little children while my husband has been gone down the river, not returning from two to six months at a time; during which time I took care of the horses, oxen, cows, and superintended all the business connected with the farm and crops.  I have husked thirty-two bushels of corn in one day, besides doing my house-work.  I have dragged on the fallow day after day; helped to build pole fence around the lots, and took my end of the pole every time !  I have raked and bound wheat and oats season after season; in a word, there was scarcely anything connected with practical farming (plowing excepted), that I have not labored at.  In addition to my housewifery duties and the aid I rendered on the farm, I carded and spun forty knots a day, made flannel for my family and others so that for years not a yard of cloth was purchased at a store for the use of my family.  I also knit all of our own stockings and many pairs for others; and very often my husband would pay (in part) for the hired help necessary in haying and harvest, with the cloth I had manufactured."

From Geneva Courier 19 March 1879


An accident occurred at Stanley on Friday last, by which Aaron C. Rippey lost a hand.  He was feeding a corn husker at his barn when, as nearly as he can state the fact, a stalk formed a loop, caught his hand, and drew it in, crushing it at once.  The machine was stopped instantly by his cousin, George C. Rippey, who kicked off the band by which the power was applied.  The others present had rushed to stop the horses.  But for the opportune movement, the arm would have been drawn into the husker; and it is impossible to say to what extent injury might have been done.  As it was the hand, up to and including the knuckles, was destroyed.  Drs. James and D. S. Allen, and Dr. Van Dusen were summoned, and the hand was amputated in front of the wrist joint.  He is now doing as well as can be expected, and he has the sympathy of many friends.

Mr. John S. Rippey lost two or three fingers not far from a year ago, while using a husking machine; and one or two others similar accidents have occurred in this vicinity.

From Ontario County Journal 21 March 1879

The Commissioners of Highways of the town of Gorham met at Reed's Corners on Saturday last and made the following appointments of Overseers of Highways for the coming years:

John Harris
George Henry
James Bennett
Byron Washburn
Elisha Pratt
Emery Green
George T. Washburn
Charles Roat
Eli L. Woodward
James Moore
Andrew Smith
John Renwick
James Ketchum
Hiram Eckert
M. E. Pickett
James Lewis
Johithan Phelps
Albert Hartsough
Patrick Hurley
Thomas Hogan
Daniel Walter
Charles Pearson
Shephard Starr
Gould Birdseye
Reuben Link
N. W. Welsh
William Thompson
Willard Snyder
Deroy J. Harkness
Harvey L. Harmon
Lewis Ringer
Joshua Evered
Wilson Butcher
John Sanders
Newton Mackey
Lewis Warley
William Dickerson
Uriah Davis
Joshua Washburn, 2d
Charles Ferguson
_____ Briggs
Truman Francisco
Cuyler Arnold
Erastus H. Green
Henry Mapes
William Carson
George Keohler
Jerome Eldridge
E. P. Birdseye
Levi Taylor
 Frank Gage
Horace Jerrould
Monroe Ferguson
Patrick Dawson
John Road
Thomas Smith
Thomas Watkins
Benjamin Green
John W. Mapes
Wm. C. Winne
Wm. Casby
Perry Clark
James M. Pulver, 2d
John Kisor

From Ontario County Times 26 March 1879

Canadice, N. Y. - Henry Slingerland
was severely kicked by a horse on Monday, the 17th inst., while foddering his stock in the barnyard. The headstrong animal in question is the family favorite, and has been for the last twenty-four years, and was never known to do so ungenerous act before. Mr. Slingerland was hit on the chin and breast and felled to the ground, where he lay some time unconscious. After recovering somewhat, he managed to get to the house where he has been confined most of the time since.

Victor, N. Y. - Mr. John Cline met with a serious accident while drawing a load of potatoes to the depot. The road is quite narrow in some places just where they drive up along side of the cars, and on one side is a sharp declivity of about ten feet. The road was icy and the wagon commenced to slide, and went down the embankment, dragging the horses with it. Mr. Cline jumped and escaped with a few slight bruises. The team was badly tangled in the harness and were considerably bruised. Assistance soon arrived and they were extricated from their dangerous position.

From Ontario County Journal 11 April 1879

The Naples Agricultural Society, last Saturday, elected the following officers for the current year:  President, C. S. Lincoln; Vice-Presidents, Frank Seamans, J. E. Fellows, Wm. R. Marks, Rus. Brown, P. C. Wetherbury, Wm. Culver, D. A. Wolvin, Martin Pinney, D. C. Snyder, Martin Kimmel, Frank Clark, Lyman Shepard; Secretary, E. C. Clark; Corresponding Secretary Secretary, W. L. Conley.

Victor, N. Y. - Walking Match -
There will be a grand amateur walking match at Jacobs' Hall, commencing at 9 p.m., Friday evening, April 18th, and lasting 24 hours. The contestants are Messrs. Will Woodworth of Farmington, and Theodore Conover of Victor - both young men of splendid form and good amateur walkers. The conditions of the race are "go as you please," and the amount of the purse $100. On Saturday afternoon and evening a fine brass band will be in attendance. The managers of the walk are all well-known men of this place, and we have no doubt that the race will be a success. Admission to the hall, 15 cents. Come one, come all.

From Ontario County Times 16 April 1879

On Saturday last occurred what proved to be a comparatively slight accident, but which might have been attended with more serious results. Mr. John H. Ferguson and Master John Raines, a young son of Captain Raines, started out for a drive. Coming out of Mrs. Fitch's yard on Gorham street, in whose barn the horse was stabled, the animal became unmanageable and dashed rapidly into the street. Young Raines, who was driving, was thrown out at the first turn, carrying the lines with him, while Mr. Ferguson kept his seat until the corner of Wood street was reached, when he, too, was thrown violently to the ground. He was picked up in an unsensible condition, and did not recover consciousness for several hours. His companion was not seriously injured, and both, at this writing, have recovered from the effects of the accident.

From Ontario County Times 23 April 1879

Victor, N. Y. -
Yesterday afternoon two accidents occurred in town, neither of which, fortunately, was attended with serious results. About 1 o'clock Hart Davis, a clerk in the store of A. S. Newman, while mixing a compound of sulphuric acid and turpentine, manipulated the fiery liquids carelessly, exciting a lively chemical action which threw a mixture over him. He was somewhat burned about the face and arms, but the prompt application of antidotes saved him from serious injury. Later in the day, Alex. Davidson, who was sawing lumber in Burgher & Thompson's planing mill, was struck in the leg by a stick of wood hurled from the swiftly turning saw. The hurt did not affect him instantly, but in a few moments he fainted away. He recovered in a short time, and beyond a painful bruise is all right again.

From Geneva Gazette 2 May 1879

A Serious Accident
befel Mr. Wm. Combs Wednesday morning last.  He ascended to the roof of a shed in Dakin's coal yard to see about making repairs thereto, when the decayed boards broke and Mr. Combs fell with a heavy thud to the floor beneath.  The descent was 16 to 18 feet, and by the fall Mr. C. sustained a fracture of the shoulder blade and suffered a severe contusion on the back of the head.  The injuries rendered him unconscious, in which state he remained for several hours, giving rise to fears that they would terminate fatally.  Dr. Picot attended him under whose treatment he at length revived.  Though an aged man (of 70 years and upwards) hope may be entertained of his recovery.

From Ontario County Times 7 May 1879

George Scharer,
an aged German, residing with his son-in-law, John Stemple, on the lake shore near Bristol Springs, left his home on the 18th day of last month. He told his daughter that he was going to Naples to stay with some friends of the family for a time. Mr. Scharer was about 74 years old and in feeble health. He speaks little or no English. He was last seen at Bristol Springs about 10 o'clock a.m., April 18th. Although his friends have made diligent search and inquiry, nothing has been learned in regard to him since he left. Any information relating to him will be gratefully received by his family.

From the Naples Record we learn that on Monday night of last week a serious affray occurred on the road leading from Woodville to that place, between Joseph Simons and a drunken citizen of Italy named Ellerington. The latter, it appears, was the offending party, and attacked Simons without apparent cause. In the fracas which followed, Ellerington fastened his teeth in his opponent's arm and shut down hard. Simons returned the compliment by chewing off one of Ellerington's fingers.

From Geneva Gazette 9 May 1879

Almost a Tragedy in Phelps - From Phelps Citizen, yesterday.  
-  A serious and possibly fatal accident occurred in this village shortly before 5 o'clock Tuesday afternoon, in which Miss Ella Van Devort, aged sixteen years, was shot by her grandfather, Thomas Van Devort.  The shooting was purely accidental, and no blame rests with Mr. Van DeVort.  The case is a very singular one, and we give it in detail:

Nearly two weeks ago Charlie Zimmerman, between 13 and 14 years of age, while playing in Mr. Van DeVort's yard, lost a small single barrel Remington pistol.  Last Tuesday Mrs. VanDevort was in the yard, and seeing something in the grass, picked it up and carrying it in the house asked Mr. Van DeVort what it was.  After examining it he replied that it was a small toy pistol. He then pulled back the little hammer and snapped it; it clicked and he concluded that it was only a child's blank cap pistol.  His granddaughter was in an adjoining room, and hearing that something had been found asked to see it.  Looking at it she said, "Why, grandpa, that is a toy pistol, such as little boys use to fire off fire crackers."  This remark, even had Mr. Van DeVort been suspicious before, threw him entirely off his guard, and cocking the pistol as he had done several times before, let the hammer down, there was a short, sharp crack, and the girl threw up her hands exclaiming, "O, grandpa, I'm shot !"  Dr. Howe was immediately summoned, who found that the ball struck in the center, and partially crushed in the rings of the trachea, then glancing to the left passed upward and backward lodging in the muscles of the back of the neck.  At the time of the accident the girl was about four feet distant from her grandfather.  With the exception of a profuse hemorrhage, she is doing well, and hopes are entertained of her recovery.

From Geneva Gazette 9 May 1879

Stanley, N. Y.  -  
It would seem that we have more than our share of accidents here this spring.  Mr. Clarence Cayward, while working with a sharp chisel a few days ago, had the misfortune to run it in his knee causing a dangerous wound, which will probably lay him up for a long time.

From Ontario County Times 14 May 1879

Shortsville, N. Y. -
An exciting runaway occurred here last Friday soon after noon. Mr. Michael Hosey's horse, which was hitched on the north side of Main street, became frightened and broke loose, and started towards the depot. Mr. Frank Quinn of Macedon attempted to stop him and was knocked down and run over. The animal then turned and made for the sidewalk in front of A. Simonds & Co.'s store, upon which were standing several ladies, who made all possible haste to escape the danger. They all succeeded in getting into the store except Mrs. Maurice Keefe, who fell upon the stone step in the doorway just out of reach of the excited horse, which the next moment rushed by, smashing windows, breaking horse blocks and sidewalk. For a few moments the excitement was intense, until it was found that neither Mr. Quinn or Mrs. Keefe were seriously injured. The horse broke loose from the wagon and then ran east as far as the plaster mill. Turning north, the animal kept on until it was caught in Brownsville. It is a great wonder that no more serious damage was done.

From Geneva Gazette 23 May 1879

Mr. Levi Stainton,
an old resident of Geneva, met with a serious accident last Wednesday, which it is feared will incapacitate him for labor or other manual exercise for some time to come.  In descending from a stand or table at his house, to which he ascended to hang up a clock, he missed his footing on a chair and fell heavily, his right side striking on another chair with such force as to break one if not more of his ribs.  The pain was so severe as fairly to deprive him awhile of breath.  He however visited Dr. Picot who after bandaging him put him temporarily "in quarantine."  Mr. Stainton's age of about 70 years makes such an injury all the more painful and prolonged, yet we can but hope for his speedy recovery.

From Ontario County Journal 23 May 1879

Last week was an unlucky one for this vicinity. Wednesday night Lewis Johnson and Charles Sawyer were driving down Main street, when their carriages came in collision, throwing Johnson to the ground with great force.  His horse at the same time breaking loose from all restraint, started for home at an increased gait. J. A. Van Wis, who was riding with Johnson at the time of the collision, being still in the carriage, and having no means to guide or check the flying horse, jumped from the carriage, dislocating one of the bones of his fore arm at the elbow. Johnson was but slightly injured.

Saturday night James Menteith, Frank Foster and Abram Van Wie and hands, as to require the services of a physician. Foster was somewhat burned. There was about three gallons of oil in the were spearing upon the lake, using kerosene as fuel for their jack light. It becoming necessary to fill their jack, they made the attempt while it was lighted, pouring the oil from a large can into the jack. Right here, as might be expected, an explosion took place, covering them with the burning fluid. They immediately plunged into the lake, and extinguished the flames, but not until Menteith was so badly burned about the face, neck can at the time of the explosion.

From Ontario County Journal 6 June 1879

East Bloomfield, N. Y. -
A walking match will come off in Bradley's Hall tomorrow night between Miss Nellie LeBarr, who has walked a number of matches in Canandaigua and adjoining towns, and Jerry Sweeney, of this place, who will undertake to walk 23 miles while Miss Le Barr walks 20.  Patrick Larkins, of Canandaigua, will participate in this match and prospects are that we will have a lively walk. McWilliams' band will furnish the music. Walk to commence at 7 o'clock. Admission 25 cents, children 15 cents.

From Geneva Courier 25 June 1879

Probably Fatal Accident - Mr. Frank Barber, of Phelps, met with an accident in Geneva on Friday evening last, which will probably cost him his life.  He was returning from the races at Pre-emption Park.  In driving from the canal bridge to the lake road, his buggy was upset, and the horse ran away.  Mr. Barber held to the lines, and was dragged some distance.  Several ribs were broken, and he suffered internal injuries, which makes the case a very dangerous one.  The wounded man was taken to his home in Phelps, and everything possible done for him.

From Ontario County Times 2 July 1879

The Phelps Citizen tells of "a little commotion" that occurred in Clifton Springs one day last week. It appears that one George Sellick, aged 18, has been paying attention to Miss Edna Aldrich, step-daughter to D. Lisk, aged 17. To such an extent had this intimacy grown, that the young people determined to leave town together; but Mr. Lisk, learning of the proposed elopement, met the couple on their way to the depot, gave the young man a piece of his mind, and sent the girl home. Angry words, tears, repentance!

From Ontario County Journal 4 July 1879

A young man named Fred Palmer, employed in Bostwick's paint shop on Bemis street, met with an accident yesterday morning. At the foot of the stairs leading from an upper room to the ground floor in the building is a large window. Palmer was passing down these stairs and stumbled, pushing his hand through one of the lights of glass and cutting a terrible gash across his wrist about three inches above the wrist joint. The wound bled copiously, making a distinct trail of blood from Bemis St. to the office of Dr. J. T. Smith on Main street, where the doctor dressed the wound. Palmer was quite weak from the loss of blood, but will be all right again, with proper care, in a few days.

From Geneva Gazette 11 July 1879

A deplorable affray occurred at the home of Allen B. Richards, (corner of Genesee and John sts.) early on Tuesday morning last, the origin and particulars of which are substantially as follows:  The father and one son arose early. Before the latter was fairly dressed, he was ordered to feed the horses. Returning a disrespectful reply as the father thought, he inflicted personal chastisement upon the lad, who screamed lustily under the blows. This bro't the mother to the scene, who earnestly remonstrated against further punishment, and as Richards did not at once desist, she seized a piece of lath and struck her husband twice in the face. A man of violent temper, this only enraged him more, and with hands and feet he dealt repeated blows and kicks upon her. She essayed to get away from him and run upstairs; he seized and pulled her back; she took refuge in the pantry, but he forced the door open and renewed the assault. At this moment, the oldest son, Willie, aged about 20 years, appeared on the scene. He saw the father pounding and choking his mother. His eyes fell upon a bread-knife close at hand, and under the exciting impulse of the moment, seized it and struck the father twice in quick succession. Blood spurted from the wounds inflicted in the back of the neck. Fortunately, the knife escaped the jugular and other important veins. This ended the melee. Mrs. Richards dragged herself to bed, more dead than alive from injuries and fright. Richards staggered about the house and fell down the cellar stairs, his course marked with blood. The boys helped him up, and the younger called Dr. Frank Flood, who lives just across the street, and he set to work to staunch the flow of blood. Willie walked down street, and meeting constable Mensch, gave particulars of the affair and surrendered himself into the hands of Justice. Examination has been postponed from day to day, awaiting results from the wounds inflicted. The affair caused great excitement as an account of it spread throughout the village, and public sentiment seemed to settle strongly against Richards. His injuries are not as dangerous as at first apprehended, and he will soon recover. We are glad to state that Wednesday evening Mr. Richards made his first advances towards penitence, confessing his wrong doing, begged forgiveness, and sought reconciliation. He even exonerated Willie from all blame. His overtures were met in a forgiving spirit, and harmony all round is restored. Mr. Richards wishes all legal proceedings against his son to be dropped, and that the public will be equally lenient towards himself.

From Ontario County Journal 11 July 1879

John Condon, Michael Curran
and Andrew Orr, of this village, desiring to celebrate the glorious anniversary of our National Independence in a truly patriotic manner, went to Seneca Point on that day, and thence rowed to Willow Grove. It is asserted that they carried a liberal supply of invigorating balm from here; and it is certain that they were thoroughly loaded with it while at the Grove. After remaining awhile, they started for the boat to return, and at the edge of the water engaged in a fight, during which Curran seized an oar and struck Condon over the head knocking him senseless. Curren and Orr then immediately got into the boat and rowed out on the lake. Condon was picked up insensible, and it was nearly half an hour before he became conscious. He was brought home the same day, and is now rapidly recovering. It was currently report the next day that he was dying, but the rumor was without foundation. Curran and Orr are now in jail awaiting examination.

From Geneva Gazette 18 July 1879

At the last regular meeting, (Monday evening, July 14th),   of the "Geneva Brass Band", the following named members resigned: J. Callahan, E. Sipple, J. Pinkerton, E. Liberty, W. and Lew Mead. The band now comprises the following talent: D. G. Sutton, F. L. Smith, W. H. Yates, C. P. Norton, Joe Wagner, M. M. Andrus, F. H. McDonough, John S. Brockie, C. C. Clark, with the drummers and the leader of the orchestra to be named hereafter.  Mr. D. G. Sutton still retains the position of leader and director, and in a short time announces his ability to furnish both brass and orchestra music of first class order on reasonable terms. All engagements to be contracted with Mr. Sutton, leader.

From Ontario County Times 30 July 1879

Victor, N. Y. - Mr. Will Fisher,
of Fisher's station, had the misfortune to break a leg last Saturday. It happened in about this way: Mr. Fisher had taken a horse to the blacksmith shop to be shod; the horse was unruly and had to be thrown; in rising it fell on to Fisher, pushing him down and breaking his leg below the knee. Dr. Palmer, of this place, was telegraphed, and upon his arrival he found Dr. Green, of Mendon, who was already engaged in setting the broken limb. The medical men soon had Mr. Fisher in as comfortable a position as the circumstances would allow.

On Monday afternoon, between four and five o'clock, a disgraceful shooting affair took place at the Webster House in this village. The circumstances so far as our reporter can learn, were as follows: Charles Lamport and John Gates, both well-known characters of the village, were sitting in the bar room when Edward Dintruff, a young man from Rushville, made his appearance. After a wordy skirmish, good-natured as things go, Lamport asked Dintruff if he would have a drink. The latter refused the favor and started to go. This seems to have angered Lamport, who from the first had been somewhat the worse off for liquor, and after calling him back a second time, he struck at his Rushville friend, knocking off his hat. Dintruff retreated, stepping backward toward the front door, with Lamport following, until just as he reached the steps he pulled out his revolver and shot at his assailant. He then turned and fled down Main street in a most precipitate manner. Securing a ride in a passing carriage, he went on until he reached the eastern branch of the outlet. Here he took one of Mr. Case's boats and set forth still hatless up the lake. The officers who were in pursuit followed around by the road on the east side until, seeing a chance to head off the fugitive, McClary found a boat and continued the chase on the water. Then ensued a most exciting boat race, but the officer was the fresher of the two and was fast overhauling Dintruff, when the latter was taken on board a steam yacht. This gave him in turn the advantage, and the officer was, of course, forced to retire. This morning, we understand, Dintruff appeared in this village and voluntarily gave himself up. He is to have his examination this afternoon before Police Justice. Lamport, fortunately, was not seriously injured. The bullet took effect in his left thigh, producing only a flesh wound that does not even keep him indoors.

From Ontario County Journal 1 August 1879

On Tuesday afternoon, Mrs. Charles S. Hoyt, who resides on Gorham street, had a narrow escape from serious if not fatal injury. She was leaning against the railing of the rear porch of her residence, when it gave way, and she fell backward to the ground, a distance of some six or eight feet, striking on her right shoulder and arm. Strange as it may appear, no bones were broken, and her injuries, though painful, are not at all alarming in their character.

From Ontario County Times 27 August 1879

Canadice, N. Y. - Capt. Jacob Francisco
had a runaway on Friday last. He was employed to haul a load of goods for Herman Crooks, who is moving to Springwater, and while descending a hill, Capt. Francisco, who is nearly eighty years of age, accidentally fell from his seat on the load, and his team escaped and ran about a mile, when they were stopped. No serious damage was done, though a wagon wheel was wrecked and a barrel of soft-soap and a quantity of canned fruit indiscriminately scattered. The next day the Captain was on duty again, hauling his load of goods.

From Ontario County Journal 17 October 1879

Victor, N. Y. -
Last Friday evening as Mr. Thomas Neeman and A. E. Spitz were crossing Mud Creek bridge, on the North Road, their horse became frightened and unmanageable and as he left the bridge jumped the embankment to the bed of the creek below. Mr. Neeman, who was driving was pulled over after the horse as he cleared himself from the buggy. His injuries were quite severe. Mr. Spitz was but slightly bruised by being caught between the buggy and bridge while trying to alight. The damage to the horse and buggy was slight.

From Phelps Citizen 23 October 1879

Orleans - While making excavation for a cistern, on the premises of Mr. Cheney Whitney, several bones and skulls were found, indicating that an Indian grave yard had in all probability been in that section. The specimens may be seen at the office of Dr. Lewis.

From Ontario County Journal 7 November 1879

B. E. Taylor,
of Miller's Corners, had a very narrow escape from death one day last week while at work at East Bloomfield depot. He was handling apple barrels, and while upon some barrels, storing them away, stepped down, slipped and fell, striking his head upon the chime of a barrel. He is at work again, but has a very lame arm and black eye.

From Ontario County Journal 7 November 1879

Victor, N. Y. - Mr. Harlow Munson
passed his 80th birthday Friday, October 31st. In August last he had a stroke of paralysis from which he is still suffering.

From Ontario County Times 12 November 1879

Capt. Daniel Gates,
of this village, celebrated his seventy-seventh birthday on Tuesday of last week, the day of election. Though so well advanced in years, the Captain has all the vigor of a young man, and is proud to be able to say that he has always voted the Republican ticket -- having never missed casting his vote since the formation of that party. We congratulate him, and join his numerous friends in the hope that he will live to exercise this privilege for many years to come.

From Geneva Gazette 21 November 1879

Court of Sessions -
The first trial was that of Margaret and Edward Sexton -- mother and son, the latter only 11 years old- for "assault and battery with intent to kill" Wm. Shea.  The parties live in North Farmington, are not only near neighbors but nearly related. Family broils have existed between them as also involving some of the witnesses for several years, culminating in June last by the shooting of Shea by the lad, instigated by his mother, as shown by the evidence. The trial lasted two whole days, and was sharply contested by counsel on both sides - District Attorney Rice for the people, J. P. Faurot for the defense. It was also marked by amusing episodes which convulsed court, jury, bar and spectators with uncontrollable laughter. A part of the time the mother had a cross and crying baby in her arms, which was not quite so amusing, and occasionally proceedings had to be suspended while the mother took her little one out to quiet it. The boy was found guilty of the charge contained in the indictment - his mother of assault and battery only with a recommendation of mercy on account of her infant child. She was sentenced to pay a fine of $25 and to stand committed until paid; the boy sent to the Western House of Refuge for an indefinite period.

James McKee of Victor was next tried for a forgery perpetrated in Nov. 1874, forging the name of a Mr. Carpenter to a promissory note of $750, which he disposed of to Mr. Bement, since deceased. McKee has been absent from the State for several years, hence the delay in his indictment and trial. He was defended by Messrs. E. C. Beeman and J. P. Faurot. Verdict, guilty.

From Ontario County Journal 5 December 1879

Charles Hemstead
of Gorham met with a sad and painful accident on Monday of this week. Mr. H. is in the employ of Mr. Rodman, and was working around a steam clover-thresher; the belt on the pulley became caught, and he was trying to unfasten it, when his left arm was drawn in between the belt and the pulley, causing a compound fracture of the forearm and a compound dislocation of the upper arm. The bone projected about four inches, stripped of muscle and flesh. Drs. Allen and Van Dusen, of Gorham, and Dr. Hallenbeck of Canandaigua, were called in consultation, and it was thought the arm would have to be amputated.  Repository.

From Neapolitan Record 23 December 1879

West Bristol -
As Geo. Crandal, Emma and Anna Proper were returning one night last week from a party in West Hollow, the horse ran off the brook bridge south of Sutton's Hall, throwing them out, breaking Emma's arm and otherwise injuring her, and Crandal's head was severely cut. Anna, for wonder, it seems escaped with slight bruises.

From Geneva Gazette 26 December 1879

Painful Accident - Rev. Mr. Brownlee
of the M. E. Church and Philip Crane, both of Geneva, were out for a ride on Tuesday, passing over into Seneca County, crossing the track of the Geneva & Ithaca Railroad near the Stacey farm, where an abrupt curve is made in the road, and being deeply engaged they did not observe the approach of a train of cars until fully upon them. They wheeled the horse suddenly and sharply, which overturned the buggy, throwing both gentlemen violently to the ground. Mr. Brownlee was but slightly bruised but feels quite sore from the shaking up. Mr. Crane is injured quite badly. He experienced severe pain about the region of the heart, from with it is feared he has sustained internal injuries. Being advanced in years, his recovery from local injuries will be slow.

From Ontario County Times 31 December 1879

The following is the result of the twenty-seven hour walking match, which took place in this village on Christmas: First money, Jeptha Housel of Rushville; second money, John Barry of Canandaigua; third money, Frank Huxley. The longest distance made was 102 miles. During Christmas, Alfred Sterling of Rushville, ran fourteen miles in a trifle over two hours.

Return to Ontario County Homepage

Copyright 2004-15, Ontario County NYGenWeb and each contributor and author of materials herein. All rights reserved.