|The Dr. John Q. Howe residence was built in 1869 by Moses Barlow on the site of the Edmonston Tavern.|
|Distinctive features of this historic brick home are the Mansard type roof with diamond shaped slate roofing and the two-story outhouse connected to the main house by entrances on both first and second floors. The two-story, six-hole (three up, three down) privy is one of very few that still exist in the U.S.|
The interior of the house reveals a combination of 1869 and 1899 decorative elements. Most of the trim and doors and the stair railing are from the earlier period but the parlor on the west side is lavishly trimmed in quartered oak, paneling trim and mantle.
In 1899, Dr. William Howe, son of Dr. John Q. Howe, added the office wing to the west side of the house and a little later on modernized the front porch in the popular Colonial Revival style.
On 25 February 1999, the house was purchased by an anonymous donor and given to the Phelps Community Historical Society for a museum. The house has been restored to its present condition through the efforts and financial contributions of many people.
Contribution made by Doris Spink, Director, Phelps Community Historical Society