"Mor" Obituaries

From Geneva Daily Times 13 November 1939
Mrs. Philamena D. Morabito,
wife of Salvadore Morabito, of 2 Carter Road, died last evening following a long illness. She is survived by her husband; five sons, Dominick, Joseph, Patrick, Anthony and Rocco; six daughters, Mrs. Rose Cosentino, Mrs. Louise Cardinale, Mrs. Mary Trunzo; Alice, Florence and Loretta Morabito; six grandsons and four granddaughters; three brothers, Michael, Sullivan and Anthony Aquilano; and one sister, Mrs. Rose Pedullo, all of Geneva. Mrs. Morabito was a member of St. Francis de Sales church.

From Geneva Daily Times 2 July 1932

Mrs. Elizabeth Moran,
wife of William Moran, died this morning at the family home at 14 Toledo street, after a short illness. Besides her husband, she is survived by two daughters, Margaret of Geneva and Mrs. Fred Kibler of Olean; one son, William of Geneva; three brothers, Bernard McGuire of Maplewood, N. J., William of Seneca Falls and James of Geneva. The funeral will be held Tuesday morning at 8:30 o'clock from her late home and 9 o'clock at St. Francis de Sales church. Burial will be at Seneca Falls.

From Ontario County Journal 30 March 1894

East Bloomfield, N. Y. -
The funeral of Mrs. James Moran, whose death occurred on Friday last, was held at the St. Bridget's Church on Monday. The services were conducted by the Rev. Father Donnelly, of Victor. She leaves, besides her husband, five small children, and one brother, John McCarty. The deceased was 38 years old.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 16 January 1917

Canandaigua, N. Y., Jan 15 -
Word has been received here of the death of Mrs. John Moran, a former resident of Canandaigua, at her home in New York on Saturday evening. She leaves a son, Harry A. Moran of Indianapolis; and a daughter, Mrs. Kennedy of this city; and two sisters, Mrs. Anna Moore of Rochester and Mrs. Catharine Rooney of Canandaigua. The body will be brought to Canandaigua and interment will be made at Calvary cemetery.

From Ontario County Chronicle 18 June 1902

John Moran,
a lifelong resident of Canandaigua, died at his home here on Tuesday, aged 64 years. Deceased came to this country from Wicklow, Ireland, in 1838. He lived here fifty years and had at times been coachman for leading Canandaigua families. Later he was in the hacking business for himself, and in that capacity acquired a large acquaintance. He had been in feeble health for a year or more and his death was due to a general breaking down. He is survived by a daughter, Mrs. Henry Kennedy, of this place, and a son, Harry A. Moran, of Indianapolis, Ind. The funeral was held from St. Mary's church Saturday morning, the Rev. Father Dougherty officiating.

From Victor Herald 2 November 1906

East Bloomfield, N. Y. -  John C. Moran
died Sunday morning at the Graham Sanitarium in Rochester, aged about sixty years. His remains were taken to the home of his brother, 240 Plymouth avenue, and were brought here Tuesday morning for interment, funeral services being held from St. Bridget's church, Rev. Father P. A. Neville officiating, assisted by Rev. Father J. J. Donnelly. Deceased has been a resident of this town for thirty years, and by thrift and industry in the pursuit of farming had accumulated a nice property. He was a veteran of the Civil War, enlisting when but a mere boy in the Eighth New York and serving until its close. For years he had been afflicted with that dread disease consumption, and had spent much of his time south and west in hopes that he might regain his health. He is survived by three sons, three brothers and two sisters.

From Geneva Gazette 24 July 1868

A female domestic named Maria Moran, in the employ of Mr. Albert Granger of Canandaigua, was drowned in Canandaigua Lake on the 15th inst., while bathing.

From Rochester Union & Advertiser 5 June 1916

Canandaigua, N. Y., June 5 -
The death of Michael J. Moran occurred suddenly Saturday night at the Clifton Springs Sanitarium, where he had been for a short time under treatment. Mr. Moran was 68 years of age and had long been identified with the clothing business in Canandaigua. He was also a heavy owner of Canandaigua real estate. Mr. Moran had been a member of the city board of public works since Canandaigua became a city. He is survived by his wife and one daughter, Miss Helen Moran; two sisters, Margaret Moran and Elizabeth Moran, both of Canandaigua; and a brother, James Moran of Rochester. The funeral will be held Wednesday morning from St. Mary's Church here.

From Ontario County Journal 23 June 1899

The death of Patrick Moran occurred suddenly at his home on Chapin street Saturday morning. He had been about the house and yard as usual, early in the morning, but was stricken with a severe pain in the heart, and died in a short time. Mr. Moran was born in Ireland 82 years ago, and had been a resident of this town for over 50 years. Until nine years ago, at which time he took up his residence in this village, he was engaged in farming. Mr. Moran was a most exemplary citizen, and won the esteem of all who knew him. He is survived by two daughters, Misses Margaret and Lizzie Moran of this village; and four sons, M. J. of this village; John of East Bloomfield; James of Rochester; and Edward of Detroit. The funeral was held from St. Mary's church on Monday morning, Rev. Fathers English and O'Brien officiating, assisted by Rev. Fathers Neville and Keefe.

From Ontario County Journal 12 July 1912

The death of Thomas Moran, aged 78 years, occurred at his residence, corner of Main and Parrish streets, on Tuesday night. Deceased had resided in Canandaigua about 63 years, coming here from County Wicklow, Ireland, when a young man of 15, Besides his wife, he is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Mary E. McNulty and Mrs. William N. Freeman. The funeral services will be held this morning at 10 o'clock in St. Mary's church. Interment in Calvary cemetery.

From Shortsville Enterprise 14 October 1915

William Moran,
a resident of Shortsville for the past eight years, was found dead in the hay loft at the Farrell livery barn on Water street on Friday evening last. The discovery was made by one of the caretakers at the barn between 5 and 6 o'clock. Death was due to heart failure. Mr. Moran was born in Buffalo about 60 years ago. He came to Shortsville for the first time about 10 years ago and remained for a few months. Two years later he returned and had since continuously resided here. During his residence here he had worked for H. D. Aldrich at his grocery store, acting as deliveryman and caretaker of the delivery horses. He was most painstaking in his labors and was considered a valuable employee by Mr. Aldrich. Mr. Moran was a man who had traveled much in his days and was familiar with nearly all parts of the United States, particularly the West. It is said that at the time the Union Pacific railroad was built, he assisted in laying out and staking the right of way. During his residence here he became popular and well-known to the masses, being generally called "Bill." He will be missed not only by Mr. and Mrs. Aldrich, but by a  goodly number of friends and acquaintances. He leaves a sister, whose place of residence is unknown to the writer. The funeral services were held from the Stoddard undertaking rooms on Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock, conducted by the Rev. D. H. MacKenzie, pastor of the Shortsville Presbyterian church. The remains were laid at rest in Brookside Cemetery in this village.
Mr. Moran was injured some years ago, being struck by a train in the New York Central train sheds at the Rochester station. The result of this accident confined him to a Rochester hospital for five weeks. He received the sum of $200 from the railroad company for the accident, $40 of which was given to his attorney, $35 for his hospital bill and by the time his torn clothing was replaced, he had a balance of $100, which he deposited in the Mather bank in this village and used by him at various times. These facts are given for the purpose of refuting the erroneous statements that have been published by Canandaigua writers in connection with his death.

From Ontario County Journal 15 September 1911

Stanley, N. Y. -
The community was again saddened on Sunday by the passing away of Mrs. William Moran, who had been ill for some time. Funeral services were held at the Methodist church on Wednesday morning with burial at Clifton Springs. Mrs. Moran was 59 years of age and had made many friends during the years she had lived here. She was a faithful, efficient worker in the Methodist church and in the Helping Hand Society. She was also a member of the Christian Endeavor and the grange. A husband, William Moran, three daughters, Minnie and Esther of this place, and Mrs. John Hurley of Elmira; four sons, William of Vancouver, B. C.; George and Paul of Chicago, Ill., and Alfred of Stanley, survive. The funeral was largely attended. Many beautiful flowers covered the casket. Rev. Edward Jarvis had charge of the services.

From Geneva Daily Times 12 August 1904

Samuel Moranda,
aged forty-six years, and a highly esteemed citizen of Bristol, died at his home in that place yesterday. His death was due, it is stated, to acute melancholia, from which he had suffered for some time. He was some years ago one of the supervisors of Ontario county and had held other public positions. He leaves a wife and two sons, Howard and Thurston Moranda, all of Bristol, besides a large circle of relatives and friends.

From Geneva Daily Times 20 January 1910

Mrs. Bridget Morarity
died at 10 o'clock this morning at the home of her son, Henry Morarity, of William street. Besides her son, the deceased is survived by one daughter, Mrs. J. McCarthy of Phelps. Burial St. Patrick's Cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 12 January 1894

Naples, N. Y. -
The remains of David S. Morehouse were brought to this place from Middlesex on Saturday for burial in Rose Ridge cemetery. The deceased was an esteemed resident of Naples till about thirteen years ago when he went to Middlesex. His son, F. W. Morehouse, is a carriage maker of this town. One daughter, Mrs. Harriet Van Voorhees, resides in Rushville.

From Ontario County Journal 18 April 1919

Naples, N. Y. - Fisher Morehouse died at his home in this village on Friday afternoon after a long illness. He was born in Naples August 2, 1845, a son of David and Sarah Fisher Morehouse. On June 6, 1872, he was united in marriage to Miss Agnes Hopkins, of Honeoye, who survives with their two sons, Bert and William, both of Naples. A granddaughter, Miss Mabel Morehouse of Naples, and a sister, Mrs. Peter Voorhees of Rushville, also are left. Funeral services were held from the home on Sunday, Rev. J. H. France officiating.

From Ontario County Times 15 April 1874

Died, at the residence of Mr. John Smith, Castle st., this morning, April 10th, Mrs. Sarah Morehouse, aged 80 years, 4 months and 14 days. Deceased, we are informed, was the first white person born in Geneva, her birth occurring Nov. 27th, 1793, in a building then situate on the Land office property, Washington street. Her residence has not been continually in our village, but it was vouchsafed her to pass the closing days and breathe her last almost within sight of the very spot where, more than 80 years ago, her eyes first beheld the light of earth -- an experience seldom realized by our changeful people. Geneva Gazette

From Ontario County Journal 17 January 1913

On Wednesday evening at 7:15 o'clock occurred the death of Mrs. Nettie Morey, wife of Oren E. Morey of Bristol street, following an illness of long duration. Mrs. Morey was born on Aug. 10, 1854, at Victory, Cayuga county, this state, and was, consequently, 58 years and five months of age. She was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Perry Blanchard. On Jan. 5, 1874, she married Oren E. Morey at Hannibal Center, Oswego county. She is survived by her husband; son son, Clair L. Morey; and three grandchildren, all of this village. Two brothers, Day Blanchard of Albion, Mich., and Benjamin Blanchard of Martville; and a sister, Mrs. Alice Chase of East Rochester, also survive. The funeral will be held on Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock, either from the late residence or the Baptist church, with Rev. G. R. Dye officiating.

From Ontario County Journal 7 December 1917

Naples, N. Y. - 
On Tuesday, occurred the death of Mrs. Augusta Morgan, wife of John Morgan, Sr., after only a few moments illness. Mrs. Morgan had been in poor health for some time. Augusta Parkinson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Parkinson, was born in Naples 76 years ago. She was united in marriage with John Morgan, who survives. To them were born two children, John, Jr., and Miss Mary, who live in this village. Funeral services were held Friday in charge of Rev. A. H. McKnight. Burial was in Rose Ridge.

From Geneva Daily Times 7 March 1910

Benjamin T. Morgan,
aged 50 years, died at the family residence, No. 316 Washington street, yesterday afternoon at 1 o'clock after an illness of pneumonia since Friday. Mr. Morgan was mail clerk  on the Lehigh Valley R. R. and had resided here a number of years. His former home was in Pennsylvania. He leaves his wife, five children, three daughters and two sons, and his mother. The funeral will take place from the house at 2 o'clock Wednesday afternoon.

From Ontario County Journal 6 January 1882

Naples, N. Y. -
Died, an aged saint, Mrs. Clarissa Morgan, widow of the late Rev. John Morgan, so many years a resident pastor here and mother of John C. Morgan and Mrs. Henriette Chesebro of this village, Wednesday morning at 8 o'clock, at the age of 86. Nearly a year ago Mrs. Morgan was injured by a fall, and has never recovered therefrom, having been unable to walk or stand for a long time. She has lived for several years with her son, J. C., at whose residence she passed away. Her memory will be revered by all who knew her.

From Geneva Daily Times 20 November 1905

Dwight Morgan,
who resides on Canandaigua hill, between this village and Bristol Center, was found hanging in his barn Saturday morning by his wife, who had come out to look for eggs. The horrified woman called assistance and the body was cut down. It was still warm and there was a faint indication of life, which soon ceased. Coroner Barton T. McDowell, of Bristol Center, was summoned and concluded that Morgan had been hanging about 10 minutes when found. It was a clear case of suicide. Morgan had been in ill health for some time and the oncoming winter and cold aggravated his complaint and made him despondent. He was unable to actively engage in the farm work. Saturday morning he arose at the usual hour and sat around the house until about 10 o'clock, when he was seen to go out to the barn. He took a halter, threw it over a beam, tied one end about his neck from his position on a crate and then kicked the crate from under him. Morgan was well-known and respected in this vicinity. Besides his wife, there survive two sons, Charles of Bristol, and Henry, of Maryland.

From Ontario County Journal 24 February 1888

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - Mrs. Francis Morgan died at the residence of her son-in-law, George Sisco, on Friday evening of last week, aged 54 years. Funeral services were held on Sunday at 2 p.m. and her remains were taken to Victor and placed in the family vault.

From Ontario County Times 20 January 1892

Reed's Corners, N. Y. - 
Though most of the patients who are suffering from the grip are recovering, there was one fatal case here last week. Mrs. Frank Morgan had the disease, but was apparently recovering when she was taken worse and died in a very short time. Mrs. Morgan is spoken of in the highest terms by those who knew her. Her death occurred last Tuesday, the 12th, her age being twenty-six years.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 6 September 1931

Ionia, Sept 5 - George A. Morgan died today at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Harry Sanders. Survivors are two sons and three daughters, John A. of Detroit, Mrs. Sanders, Mrs. W. F. Francis, S. A. Morgan of Rochester and Mrs. H. P. Thompson of Clarkson. Funeral from home of his daughter Tuesday at 2:30 o'clock.

From Ontario County Journal 30 May 1919

The death of George G. Morgan, of Shortsville, occurred at Canandaigua on Tuesday. He was a son of Charles and Anna Hyland Morgan, and was born in Victor on February 18, 1889. He leaves his widow, Irma Aldrich Morgan; one daughter; his mother, Mrs. Anna Morgan; two brothers, Walter E. and Charles B. Morgan; and one sister, Miss Mary Morgan, of Shortsville. The funeral services will be at Shortsville this morning.

From Ontario County Journal 28 June 1907

James Morgan
died at his home on Monday morning. He had a stroke of paralysis on Decoration day and another a few days later. He is survived by his wife; one son, William Morgan, and one daughter, Miss Ella Morgan. Mr. Morgan was nearly 80 years of age. The funeral survived were held at the Union church on Wednesday morning at 11 o'clock and were largely attended. Rev. Dr. J. H. France, pastor of the Union church of Cheshire, officiated, taking as his text, Luke 2:29, 30 -- "Lord, now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace according to thy word; for mine eyes have seen thy salvation." The interment was made in the Academy cemetery.

From Geneva Gazette 24 July 1816

On the 9th inst., at Clifton Springs, Mr. John Morgan, from Long Meadows, Mass. about 22 years of age.  His death was occasioned by the falling of his horse on his return from a Camp Meeting, in Phelps.  He had been in this country only a few weeks, and had not a solitary relative here to drop a tear at his grave.

From Ontario County Journal 14 December 1917

Naples, N. Y. -  John C. Morgan, Sr.,
passed away on Sunday. He had been in failing health for several months and the end was not unexpected. He was a son of the late Rev. John C. and Harriet Swift Morgan, and was born in Naples 82 years ago. He was married to Miss Augusta Parkinson, who passed away less than two weeks before his death. There remains a son, John C. Morgan, and a daughter, Miss Mary, who lived at home, caring for her father and mother. Funeral services were held on Tuesday in charge of Rev. S. P. Long, of "Endion," Canandaigua lake, as Mr. Morgan had requested some time ago. Mr. Morgan had been the drug store for over 40 years and was well-known in this vicinity.

From Geneva Daily Times 7 July 1906

Manchester, N. Y. - Mrs. Mahalia Morgan was found dead in bed at her home, four miles north of this village, yesterday morning. Mrs. Morgan was alive and well at 11 o'clock Thursday night and conversed with her son on his return home. She is about 64 years of age and is survived by one son, William Collin of Syracuse, three sisters, Mrs. Henry Kipp, and Mrs. Lyman H. Aldrich of Shortsville and Mrs. Coulter of Farrington, and one brother, Albert Johnson of Macedon.

From Ontario County Journal 20 July 1900

Gorham, N. Y. - 
On Monday night, July 16, occurred the death of Norman Morgan, an aged citizen of this village. He had been an invalid for the past few years. Funeral services were held Wednesday at 2 p.m. A widow, two sons, Frank and Irving, and one daughter, Mrs. Harris, of Reeds Corners survive. Interment in Gorham cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 24 November 1905

William D. Morgan,
who resided on Canandaigua hill, east of Bristol Center, committed suicide by hanging himself in his barn on Saturday morning. His wife found him before life was extinct, but all efforts to revive him failed. Coroner McDowell was summoned and concluded that he had been hanging about 10 minutes when found. He had been in ill health for some time and grown despondent over his condition. He was respected throughout the community and the sad ending of his life is deplored. He was 65 years of age and survived by his wife and two sons, Charles, who lives here, and Henry of Maryland. The funeral was held from the Methodist church on Tuesday afternoon at 3 o'clock.

From Ontario County Journal 25 May 1894

Clifton Springs, N. Y. - Jeremiah Moriarity
died at his home on Hibbard avenue, Sunday, the 20th inst., of cancer of the liver, aged 76 years. The funeral services were held at St. Agnes' church Tuesday morning, and the remains taken to Canandaigua for interment.

From Ontario County Journal 5 February 1915

The death of Mrs. Johanna Moriarity occurred at the the home of J. C. Doyle, Phoenix street, on Monday morning following a long illness, aged 80 years. There survive two sons, William and John Moriarty, of Syracuse. The funeral services were held at St. Mary's church on Wednesday. Interment was in Calvary cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 1 December 1903

Canandaigua, N. Y. -
Yesterday at his home on Bristol street, John Morrell, a well-known citizen and the present village tax collector, was found dead in bed. The cause of his death was supposed to have been paralysis, from which he had suffered for several years, but investigation by Coroner F. P. Warner and Dr. H. C. Buell, the attending physician, shows that an overdose of morphine was the cause of death. Deceased had suffered from locomotor ataxia for years and had suffered intensely. His wife died some years ago and he had been a hardworking, industrious man, with a family of six to support for many years. Last summer a favorite daughter died of consumption. He had been downcast for a long time over his numerous troubles. He had been in the habit of taking morphine for the alleviation of sufferings which were terrible at times, and it is supposed took a large dose Sunday night, which resulted in his death. He has five children surviving him, two sons in the west and three daughters in this locality.

From Geneva Daily Times 20 March 1908

William N. Morrell
passed away this morning at his home, No. 55 LaFayette avenue. He was 59 years of age and was born in Ripon, England. At the age of 21 he came to this country and lived in Rochester, afterwards moving to Waterloo, where he resided until fifteen years ago, when he moved to this city. He was the founder of the Geneva Wagon Company, which was organized in Seneca Falls and afterwards moved to this city. He was a member of the Masonic Order and Knights Templar. He is survived by a widow. A Masonic funeral will take place at 1:30 Sunday afternoon from the residence, Rev. W. W. Weller officiating. Burial in Maple Grove Cemetery at Waterloo.

From Naple News 7 May 1941

Albert E. Morrill,
aged 60 years, proprietor of the Lake View Restaurant at Woodville for the past four years, died Tuesday at the Wayland hospital, where he was taken April 19th, with a fractured leg. Mr. Morrill was born in the town of South Bristol March 12, 1881, the son of Fred and Ellen Morrill. He had been in the hotel business in and around Rochester since 1904. Surviving besides his wife, Irene Huber Morrill of Naples is his mother, Mrs. Ellen Morrill of Rochester; one daughter, Mrs. Gladys Pierce of Buffalo; five brothers, John, William, Edson, Fred and George; and three sisters, all of Rochester. Funeral services will be held from the Emory Funeral Home Thursday at 2:30. Burial will be made in Rose Ridge cemetery. The Rev. E. I. Braden will officiate.

From Ontario Messenger 29 July 1846

Melancholy Death in Manchester -
A young man named Charles K. Morris, aged 25 years, formerly of this village, but recently employed as a clerk in the store of Mr. Yeamans in Manchester, was found lying upon the west bank of the Canandaigua outlet, on Thursday morning last, entirely naked, speechless, and in a dying condition. The evening previous he had left the store for the purpose of taking the cars at Shortsville for this place, but arriving there before the train, it is supposed from the fact that he was naked and no marks of violence on his person, and his clothes being found on the bank of the outlet, that he went in to bathe, and was seized with a sudden illness. He survived only about an hour after he was found.

From Ontario County Chronicle 13 July 1904

Edward Morris,
aged seventy-one years, who lived alone in a farm house on what is known as Spangle street in Hopewell, about seven miles east of Canandaigua, was found dead at his home yesterday, by a neighbor. Coroner Warner was summoned and went to the house yesterday evening where he conducted an investigation and found that death was due to apoplexy. The remains will be brought to the home of the dead man's sister, Mrs. Dwyer, of Ontario street and the funeral will probably be held Thursday.

From Ontario County Times 21 May 1884

Shortsville, N. Y. -  Mrs. Francis Morris,
wife of James Morris, died at her residence in this village, Monday, aged 63 years. The funeral will be held on Wednesday afternoon at the Presbyterian church.

From Shortsville Enterprise 5 April 1912

The death of Frederick S. Morris, a well-known resident of Farmington township, occurred at his family home, near the South Farmington Chapel, on Saturday evening at six o'clock. His demise was due to inflammatory rheumatism and capillary bronchitis, after an illness covering a period of two weeks. His age was 50 years and one day. Mr. Morris was born in Syracuse, this State, on March 29, 1862, and was a son of the late James and Frances Webb. He is survived by his wife, who was formerly Miss Woodruff, and one son, Herbert, and one daughter, Miss Myrtle Morris, all of Farmington. The funeral services were held from the South Farmington Chapel on Tuesday afternoon at 3 o'clock, conducted by Rev. Hoyt F. Hill, pastor of the Manchester M. E. Church. The burial was made in the Chapel cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 22 October 1924

Mrs. Genevieve Morris,
aged 62 years, died this morning at her home on South Exchange street. Mrs. Morris was taken with an attack of grip about two weeks ago and last Sunday pneumonia set in, causing her death this morning. She is survived by three sons, Floyd Morris of Manchester, Harold Morris of Border City and George Morris of Oklahoma; two daughters, Mrs. Henry Davenport of Brighton and Mrs. Ben Lane of Dundee. She also has several brothers and sisters and several grandchildren. The body will be taken to the home of her son, Floyd Morris, in Manchester, where the funeral will be held Friday afternoon at 3 o'clock. Burial will be made in the Clifton Springs Cemetery.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 1 May 1907

Monday afternoon at the Homeopathic hospital in Rochester the death occurred of Mrs. James Morris, formerly Miss Celia Breen of Hopewell, aged 27 years. Mrs. Morris had been suffering from a lingering illness and her death was not unexpected. She had many friends in this vicinity who will be grieved to learn of her untimely death. She is survived by her husband and one son, James Dougherty Morris; also by her mother, Mrs. Anna Breen of Hopewell; three sisters, Miss Ella Breen and Mrs. William Dannahea of Hopewell, and Mrs. John B. Kennedy of Flint; and one brother, Maurice Breen of New York city. The remains were brought to her late home in Hopewell and the funeral will be held from St. Mary's church here this morning with interment in Calvary Cemetery.

From Ontario County Chronicle 16 April 1902

Mrs. Patrick Morris
died on Sunday night near Cheshire, aged 62 years. She is survived by her husband and a number of children.

From Geneva Gazette 5 January 1883

Wm. Morris
of this town, while on a visit last week to a brother living at or near Pittsford, died from cold and exposure. He formerly worked for Mr. Charles Bennett, but for several years last past and up to within a very recent period, he was in the employ of Mr. Wm. Scoon of Seneca. When at work, he was a sober and industrious helper; when idle, was given to his cups. While going from Pittsford back to his brother's house, and being stupefied with liquor, he became benumbed with cold and frozen to unconsciousness, in which condition he was discovered by passers-by. He was conveyed to his brother's and a doctor summoned, but the ill-fated man had passed beyond help; he died before morning. His remains were brought back to Geneva for interment.

From Ontario County Journal 28 November 1902

The funeral of Mrs. Patrick Morrissey, who died at Buffalo on Monday, was held from St. Mary's church on Wednesday morning. Mrs. Morrissey formerly lived northwest of the village. The remains were interred in St. Mary's cemetery beside her husband and son.

From Geneva Advertiser 17 February 1891

Last week's Advertiser had not reached all its subscribers before Charles Morrison breathed his last. We feared it, from the reports which reached us from his sick bed that morning. We believe he was the last of that family of Morrisons. Thomas and William have been dead for some years. Charles Morrison was born in 1829, so that he was far from being an old man. He was born in Geneva, was married here, and has always resided here. He was twice married, his last wife being a sister of his first. One son by his first wife survives him.

From Geneva Gazette 10 February 1871

We had barely room in our last to announce under the obituary head the death of Lieut. J. Douglas Morrison, late of the 50th N. Y. Vol. (Engineers). It is due to the memory as a patriotic, self-sacrificing soldier of the late war, that the Press pay him a fitting tribute. The deceased was born and reared in Geneva, and had the habits of integrity and industry, which were leading traits in his character.
He was barely 18 years old when, fired by patriotism and martial ardor, which filled the ranks of the Union army with the bravest and best of our young men, he enlisted as a private in Col. C. H. Stuart's Engineer Corps. He remained with the corps during all its arduous services with the great Army of the Potomac until the final close of the rebellion by the surrender of Lee. By his soldierly bearing and general good conduct, he was raised from the ranks to a Lieutenant, and had the war continued would doubtless won a much higher rank as an officer. On receiving an honorable discharge, he followed his father and family to Michigan.
While there he married, and was worthy of his choice. Their union has been blessed with one child, now barely three years old -- too young to realize its irreparable loss. Soon after his marriage, he, with all his near relatives, returned to Geneva. He did not at this time seem to possess the robust bodily health which he enjoyed in his younger days, and which was characteristic of all other members of his father's family. It soon became evident that the hardships and privations of soldier life had planted in his system the seeds of a dangerous, if not fatal, malady. It was not, however, till early fall of last year that the seeds of such disease germinated, but the development was fearfully rapid. He was able to be about and mingle with associates and friends as late as the first of November. About the middle of October he took part in the beautiful drama rendered at the Linden Hall by Post Swift, G. A. R. He commanded and directed the squad in the interesting and exciting "Zouave drill" which formed a chief feature in the entertainment. That was his last drill.

The progress of quick consumption in his case was very rapid, though at times hope was raised in his own breast and that of loving, anxious friends, that he would survive til spring. Vain hope! Steadily and surely, yet peacefully and serenely, his young life ebbed away; and weeping widow, bereaved father, mother, brothers and sisters, and sorrowing comrades allied to him by the ties of soldierly brotherhood, have been called to lay him away where he sleeps his last sleep.

The funeral was attended on Monday afternoon last from St. Peter's Memorial Church. The members of Post Swift No. 94, in full force, and a large concourse of other sorrowing and sympathizing friends, were present, densely filling the edifice. After reading the impressive services of the Church, Rev. Dr. Van Rensselaer delivered a feeling and appropriate extemporaneous discourse in which he referred eulogizingly to the patriotic and devoted services of deceased as soldier; and to his far more important and glorious enlistment under the Banner of the Cross and consequent triumph over sin. The body was exposed in the vestibule of the Church to public view as the concourse passed out; after which the procession, headed by the Geneva Brass Band playing a dirge, with muffled drums, took up its solemn march for the Washington Street Cemetery. There he was tearfully laid away, till the last trump shall awake him to glory again.

From Geneva Gazette 4 March 1881

Constable James Morrison died Tuesday night last of consumption, an event not unexpected to his relatives and friends, from the rapid course of the fatal disease within a month or two past. Deceased was a native of Geneva, and the youngest son of John B. Morrison. One brother only survives - Clark Morrison, Esq., of the Oswego Palladium.  Another brother, Lt. J. Douglas Morrison, died several years ago of pulmonary disease, contracted by exposure incident to army life in the late war. James also was a veteran of the late war, and without doubt his illness and death resulted from like exposure. The latter had been elected for three or four years past as one of the Constables of this town - each succeeding year by an increased majority, attesting both his well-deserved personal popularity and fidelity to duty. Although apparent to family and friends that his days on earth were few, yet to gratify the poor invalid, he was placed on the Democratic town ticket run last Tuesday, and without any special effort in his behalf he received his usual majority, running second highest of the nominees for constable. Poor boy ! he did not live to hear the result. The deceased - besides parents, brother and sister - leaves a widow to mourn the loss of a dutiful son, and affectionate brother and loving husband. They have the warmest sympathies of our community in their great affliction.

From Geneva Courier 4 July 1883

The death of Mrs. Lizzie Morrison, wife of W. H. Morrison, aged 40 years, occurred on Sunday evening at about half-past eight o'clock.  She had been ill for the past seven weeks and during a part of the time had been a great sufferer.  She was a lady well liked by all who knew her; an affectionate wife, a good neighbor and a friend, and she will be missed by all as well as in the family circle.  The funeral took place yesterday afternoon from her late residence, Elm street, at 5 o'clock, Rev. Mr. House, of the M. E. church, officiating.

From Geneva Daily Times 6 February 1911

Mrs. Margaret E. Morrison,
widow of the late Ralph W. Morrison, died suddenly Saturday evening. For the past five months, Mrs. Morrison had been making her home with Mrs. E. H. Howell of Pulteney street, and Saturday afternoon she left Mrs. Howell's to go downtown; at that time she was feeling about as usual. She went directly to Miss Julia Thalman's art store in Linden street. When she arrived at the store at 4:30 o'clock, she felt ill and gradually grew worse. Dr. John W. Short was summoned and he administered heart stimulants. It was decided to remove her to the hospital and at 5:50, just as she was leaving the art store, she became unconscious and died in the ambulance before reaching the hospital. The remains were taken to Kennedy & Kennedy's undertaking rooms. Mrs. Morrison was 75 years old. She leaves one son, Ralph W. Morrison of Elmira; and one grandson, Leslie E. DeVoe of Dorchester, Mass. The funeral will take place tomorrow morning at 10:30 o'clock from the undertaking rooms. Rev. J. B. Hubbs, D. D., will officiate and burial will be in Glenwood Cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 6 October 1902

Maria L. Morrison
died at 9 o'clock Sunday morning, at the Geneva City hospital, following an operation for an incurable ailment, aged 39 years.  The remains were removed to her home, at 487 Main street.  Miss Morrison, who has been a trained nurse for the past 10 years, broke down a year ago this month, but after a short rest was able to resume her duties. She never regained her original vigor, however, and two weeks ago she took to her bed.  Death resulted yesterday morning. The deceased is survived by her mother, Mrs. Margaret E. Morrison, and her sister, Miss Margaret E. Morrison.  The funeral will take place from the house at 2 o'clock Wednesday afternoon, Rev. W. W. Weller officiating.  Interment will be in Glenwood cemetery.

From Geneva Gazette 26 March 1875

Thomas Morrison,
a well-known mechanic, died on Monday last, after a long illness, aged about 50 years.  Deceased was the second son of the late Samuel M. Morrison, and we believe was born and always resided in Geneva.  He was, while in health, a hard working industrious citizen, and highly esteemed by his associates.  The funeral will take place next Sunday from the Presbyterian Church.

From Ontario County Journal 25 April 1902

Allen's Hill, N. Y. -  Samuel Morron,
a former resident of this town, died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Michael Murrell, at Bristol, on Saturday, aged 74 years. The body was brought to this place for burial on Tuesday afternoon. He leaves, besides his wife, three daughters, Mrs. John Woolston and Mrs. Michael Murrel of East Bloomfield, and Mrs. Frank Hallvels of Bristol.

From Geneva Daily Times 27 April 1936

Canandaigua, Apr. 2
7 - Arthur Morrow, 48, a farmer residing on the Norton Road town of East Bloomfield, was almost instantly killed about 10:30 o'clock this morning when he lost his balance and toppled to the ground from a load of wood he was unloading. A log, some ten inches in diameter, which he had been trying to push off the wagon, rolled off after him, striking his head and fracturing his skull. He died within a few minutes after the accident. Morrow had been picking up limbs and trees broken down by the March sleet storm and had just driven into the yard of his home to unload. It was said that when  he fell to the ground he struck on his head. He was found by his hired hand, Frank Vorhees, who was nearby, and coroner Leon A. Stetson of this city, was summoned. Coroner Stetson pronounced death due to a fractured skull and will issue certificate of accidental death. He is survived by his widow, a daughter, Gwendolyn, and three brothers, Henry of East Bloomfield, Murray of Batavia, and Ray of Bristol.

From Ontario County Journal 1 March 1907

Bristol Center, N. Y. -
On Tuesday morning occurred the death of Mrs. Elizabeth Morrow, at the home of her daughter. Mrs. Alfred Mason, after a lingering illness of more than a year. The funeral will be held from the daughter's home today. The interment will be at Bristol. The deceased is survived by three sisters and one brother in the east; two sons, William of Bristol and Thomas of Minneapolis, Minn.; three daughters, Mrs. Mary G. Sage of Elkhart, Ind., Mrs. Thomas Cushing of Canandaigua, and Mrs. Mason of Bristol Center.

Mrs. Morrow's father was a British officer and was stationed at Limerick, Ireland, where she was born in the year 1828. Soon after, the regiment was sent to Manchester, England, and being an officer, he was allowed to take his family wherever his regiment was sent. In her seventh year they went to the Barbados Islands in the West Indies, where she remained until she was 11 years old. From there they went were sent to Frederickton, New Brunswick, and were stationed there eight years. After this she returned to Ireland and remained until she was married, In 1851 she and her husband emigrated to America, this making five time she had crossed the Atlantic ocean. On their passage they were caught in a severe storm and lay off the banks of Newfoundland two weeks, where their sailing vessel was waiting for the storm to abate. While there, their oldest daughter, Mary, was born aboard ship. After reaching New York, they came from there to Bushnell's Basin by canal, and then by stage coach to Bristol, where they have lived since. Mrs. Morrow's people on her mother's side were English and have served for over 200 years in the British army, all being officers. Her only remaining relative on her mother's side is an uncle who is Sergent at Arms at Chatam Barracks, England. Deceased was a member of St. Mary's church at Honeoye and was loved and respected by all, being always ready to help and nurse the sick and ailing.

From Ontario County Journal 10 March 1899

Bristol Center, N. Y. -
The funeral services of Mrs. John Morrow were held at the Congregational church on Friday. Besides a husband, she leaves seven children.

From Geneva Courier 28 January 1874

Mr. Joseph Morrow, an old and esteemed citizen living about one-half mile north of the village of Seneca Castle N. Y., died very suddenly of heart disease on the morning of the 24th inst. At the time of his death he was alone and engaged in sawing wood and being in a somewhat obscure place his death occurred as was thought about an hour before being discovered. Mr. Morrow was an exemplary member of the Presbyterian Church and a thorough advocate of the cause of temperance and with all was a man of good council, a good sound mind and interested in every good word and work. Mr. Morrow was left a widower about three years since and now he leaves two daughters to mourn his loss. The funeral took place on Tuesday at the Church of his choice and was attended by a large concourse of mourning friends, and the remains were interred at Geneva where his companion was buried.

From Ontario County Journal 6 December 1912

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - 
The death of Mrs. Margaret Napler Morrow, widow of Samuel Morrow, occurred at the home of her daughter, Mrs. John Woolston, on Sunday evening, Nov. 24. The deceased was born in Ireland on March 17, 1834, and came to this country in June, 1856, and on July 18, 1858, was married to Samuel Morrow of Allen's Hill, where the greater part of her life was spent. There were six children born of this union. The deceased is survived by three daughters, Mrs. John Woolston, Mrs. Frank Hallock and Mrs. Michael Murrell; six grandchildren and four great-grandchildren. Funeral services were conducted at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Woolston, by Rev. G. S. Spencer on Wednesday afternoon, with interment at Allen's Hill.

From Ontario County Journal 14 January 1910

Bristol Center, N. Y. -
At his home at Vincent, on Tuesday night, occurred the death of Robert Morrow, aged 78 years. The deceased was born in Ireland and came to this country about 1855, and has lived ever since in this town. He is survived by his wife, three sons, John and Frank of Vincent, William of East Bloomfield; three daughters, Mrs. John Gibson of Rochester, Mrs. Mary Rood of Vincent, and Mrs. George Sanger of Springwater. John Morrow of Rochester is a half-brother. The funeral will be at the house this afternoon at 2 o'clock. Interment in Evergreen cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 17 April 1896

Allen's Hill, N. Y. - William Morrow,
whose illness was mentioned in a previous issue of this paper, died Tuesday evening, April 7, aged 69 years. Funeral services were held in the M. E. Church of which he was a regular attendant, Thursday, at 2 p.m.

From Geneva Courier 17 January 1877

SUDDEN DEATH - A Minister Dies in His Chair

Rev. Austin G. Morse
, a retired Presbyterian clergyman, about seventy years of age, died very suddenly at the International Hotel, in this place, on Monday afternoon.  Mr. Morse had been boarding at the hotel since before Christmas, and had appeared to be in his usual health until Monday afternoon.  He ate a very hearty dinner, and soon afterward complained of pain in his stomach, and seemed to be suffering very much.  He came down stairs, and drank some ginger and whiskey and milk, as remedies, and again went up stairs.  Mr. W. H. Suydam, the proprietor, went up stairs soon, and inquired if there was anything he could do, and whether a doctor should be sent for.  Mr. Morse said, that he had frequently had these attacks, and knew what to do.  At four o'clock Mr. C. M. Spare was engaged in conversation with him for a short time.  Coming back into the room at 5 o'clock, Mr. Morse was found sitting in a rocking chair, with his feet on another chair, dead.

Coroner Weyburn was at once summoned, and an examination made of the deceased.  Tuesday morning a post mortem examination was made by Dr. Proot.  Drs. E. W. Weyburn, H. D. Weyburn and A. J. Frantz were present.  It was shown that his stomach and bowels were diseased, and that he was threatened with effusion of the brain.  His son arrived from Connecticut this morning and took charge of the remains.

Mr. Morse was, about thirteen years ago, pastor of the Presbyterian church at Oaks Corners.  About eight years ago he removed to Slatersville, where he preached.  Several months since he moved to Auburn, where he boarded, having become too old for active work.  Just before Christmas he came to Geneva, and his son engaged board for him at the International Hotel, where he has since remained.  Mr. Morse was a widower, his wife having died last spring.  His only son is engaged in the tree business, and was at the time of his father's death, in Connecticut. Hon. Burton G. Morse, of Prattsville, Greene county N. Y. is a brother of the deceased.  He had also a brother at Scranton, Pa. and a half brother at Syracuse.  Messrs. Cross, and Cooper Sayre, of Oaks Corners are relatives of Mr. Morse.

The following jury was empanneled by Coroner Weyburn:  S. N. Anthony, foreman; Mathew Wilson, Charles D. King, J. W. Love, W. H. Blodgett; S. A. Tompkins; W. H. French; J. H. Miller; W. N. Coe; L. W. Angus, B. C. Horton.  They viewed the body, and an inquest was held at 2 o'clock Tuesday afternoon.  A verdict was rendered of death by nervous apoplexy.

From Ontario County Journal 15 February 1901

On Friday morning, at his home two and a half miles west of this village, occurred the death of Edward H. Morse at the advanced age of 84 years. Mr. Morse was a lifelong resident of this town. His grandfather, Isaac Morse, came here from Connecticut in 1809 and bought the farm upon which his grandson resided at the time of his death. The deceased was the youngest child of Orlando and Sarah Hawley Morse. He was twice married. His first wife was Miss Laura M. Buck, of East Bloomfield, and to them were born three children, Albert H., Ellen Augusta, who died in 1892, and John E. In 1855, he married Miss Jane E. Hawley. Their children were Jane, who died in 1874, and Edmund H. Morse of Brooklyn. Mr. Morse is survived by his wife, his three sons, and two sisters, Misses Catherine S. and Martha A., of this village. Rev. Charles J. Clausen conducted the funeral services on Sunday afternoon at 1:30 o'clock at the late home. Interment was made in Woodlawn.

From Geneva Daily Times 6 June 1904

Edward L. Morse
died yesterday at 11 o'clock, at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Morse of Flint creek, aged twenty-eight years. Besides his parents the deceased is survived by three brothers, Harry, Louis and Frank Morse, all of Flint, and three sisters, Mrs. Grace Coston, and the Misses Anna and Hattie Morse, all of Flint. The funeral will take place at 2:30 tomorrow afternoon from the house, Rev. A. L. Densmore, of the Flint Methodist church will officiate.

From Ontario County Journal 31 March 1882

Mr. Elihu Morse
died at the residence of his son, E. M. Morse, Esq., in this village, last Saturday morning. He appeared to be in his usual good health early in the morning, but was stricken with apoplexy and died at about noon. He with his children only a few days before celebrated his seventy-ninth birthday, and he was congratulated on his hale and hearty appearance.

From Geneva Gazette 17 August 1900

Ex-Surrogate Morse Drowned -
Hon. Elihu M. Morse of Canandaigua was drowned at his summer home, "The Hickories," on Canandaigua Lake, near Seneca Point, last Monday morning.  He arose early, as was his custom, to take a bath in the lake.  Later his dead body was found in the shallow water.  It is believed that he was seized with an epileptic fit, as he was subject to them, as the water was not deep enough to have otherwise drowned him.

Deceased was born in the town of Bristol 70 years ago, and had been a resident of Canandaigua most of his life. He was associated in law practice with his cousin, the late Judge Mason, of Geneva, for a long time.  He served as Surrogate a number of years ago.  He was peculiarly gifted as an orator and his witticisms are remembered by hundreds of Ontario County people. He is survived by his wife and one son, Sherman Morse, editor of the Niagara Falls Gazette. Burial Woodlawn Cemetery.

From Livonia Gazette 25 September 1941

Allen's Hill, N. Y. -  Ernest Morse,
a former resident of this place, died in the Thompson Memorial Hospital, Canandaigua, Monday morning, at the age of 88. Besides his widow, Mrs. Alice Morse, he leaves one son, George, of South Bloomfield; three grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren. Funeral services were held Wednesday at 2 p.m. at the Wheeler funeral home in East Bloomfield with burial in the East Bloomfield cemetery.

From Ontario County Chronicle 11 February 1903

Rushville, N. Y. -
The remains of Mrs. Jennie Morse came to Rushville from Washington, D. C., Tuesday night, and were buried in Rushville cemetery on Wednesday. Her age was 70 years. She was formerly Miss Jennie Green, daughter of the late Richard Green.

From Ontario County Journal 22 November 1912

The death of John E. Morse occurred at his home on North Pleasant street, Sunday evening, aged 63 years. Death was caused by apoplectic seizures which he suffered the past two weeks. Besides his wife, he leaves three daughters, Mrs. Nellie Hahn of Lockport, and the Misses Elizabeth and Janette Morse of Port Byron. Two brothers and one sister also survive. Rev. Herbert L. Gaylord conducted the funeral services at St. John's church on Tuesday afternoon. Interment was at Woodlawn cemetery.

From Ontario County Chronicle 4 December 1901

Farmington, N. Y. - LeGrand L. Morse died at his home in this town, Nov. 30. He suffered a stroke of paralysis on Sunday previous from which he never rallied. LeGrand L. Morse was born at Adams Basin, Monroe County, in 1837. He was the son of William Morse and grandson of Isaac Morse, a soldier in the war of the revolution and one of the pioneer settlers of the town of Canandaigua. He received his education in the common schools and at Canandaigua Academy. For twenty years he was a successful school teacher, having had charge of various village schools in Ontario County. In 1876 Mr. Morse came to Farmington. In 1855 he was elected School Commissioner for the eastern district of Ontario County and assumed the duties of the office on January 1, 1888, He was twice re-elected and held the office continuously to January 1, 1897. In 1867 Mr. Morse was married to Amelia L. Loomis, daughter of George Loomis of Farmington. She survives him. Mr. Morse was always a staunch Republican and took an interest in all questions of progress. A short time before his death, he was heard to remark: "While my life has been but a commonplace one, I have striven to do my duty in a quiet, efficient manner." He leaves one brother, George Morse of Pittsford. Burial Woodlawn Cemetery, Canandaigua.

From Ontario County Journal 21 February 1919

The death of Mrs. Mary M. A. Clark Morse, aged 80 years, occurred at the home of her daughter, Mrs. C. A. Robbins, at Palmyra, on Monday. She had been visiting there about a week. Deceased was the daughter of Eldad Clark, a cabinet maker, who formerly owned the property on south corner of Foster street. She had been married four times, her last husband being James Morse, who died several years ago. The funeral services were held at St. John's church, of which she was a member, on Wednesday. Rev. Herbert L. Gaylord officiated. Interment was in West avenue cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 22 February 1889

Bristol, N. Y. - Scott Morse died at Canadice last Friday and was buried at Baptist Hill Tuesday, the 19th. Funeral service held at John Kent's, the Rev. E. B. Barber officiating.

Return to Ontario County Homepage

Copyright 2004-16 Ontario County NYGenWeb and each contributor and author of materials herein. All rights reserved.