"Mar" to "Mas" Obituaries

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 17 September 1917

Honeoye Falls, N. Y., Sept. 16 - Harrison B. Marble,
a well-known and respected farmer of West Bloomfield, died on Saturday at his home in North Bloomfield, He had been in failing health for about two months. He was born in the town of Bristol in 1840 and 64 years of his life had been spent on a farm near West Bloomfield. Sixteen years ago he retired and removed to North Bloomfield. Besides his wife, he leaves two sons, Charles E. Marble of West Bloomfield and Harry Marble of Bristol; two daughters, Mrs. Bert Hook of Mendon and Mrs. Henry Warren of West Bloomfield; eleven grandchildren and one great-grandchild. His funeral will be held at 1:30 with burial at Bristol, N. Y.

From Naples News 7 June 1900

Bristol, N. Y. - 
The remains of Henry Marble of Allen's Hill were interred here Saturday.

From Ontario County Journal 6 March 1914

East Bloomfield, N. Y. -  Mrs. Julia Stoneyear Marble,
wife of Lucien A. Marble, died on Wednesday night, aged 69 years. Besides her husband, three daughters survive, Mrs. Charles Curtis of Calicoon; Mrs. Merton Hall and Mrs. S. R. Wheeler of Cheshire. Funeral services will be held at the home tomorrow afternoon at 1 o'clock, with interment in Evergreen cemetery, Bristol.

From Ontario County Journal 6 July 1917

Cheshire, N. Y. -
The death of Lucien W. Marble, aged 81 years, occurred at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Hall, at Cheshire, on June 29. He was born in the town of East Bloomfield, where he lived until the death of his wife in 1914. He then retired from farming and had since lived with his daughter at Cheshire. He was a man of high christian character, a member of the old Baptist church of Bristol, and since that church was not kept up, he worshiped at the Congregational church at East Bloomfield and for the last three years, has been interested in the Union church at Cheshire. The funeral, conducted by Rev. Mr. Searles, was held at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Marion Hall, on Sunday afternoon. Interment was at Evergreen cemetery in Bristol. He is survived by one sister, Mrs. Homer Chase of Canandaigua; and three daughters, Mrs. Simeon Wheeler of Cheshire, and Mrs. Charles Curtis; and four granddaughters and one grandson.

From Geneva Daily Times 4 October 1932

Alvin C. Margeson,
aged 82, of 354 Exchange street, died at 11:10 o'clock this morning at the Geneva General Hospital after a short illness. He is survived by his wife; four sons, George and Frank of Rochester, Charles of Penn Yan and Ray of Benton Center; three daughters, Mrs. Flora Robinson of Exchange street, Geneva, Mrs. Nellie Champagne of Wellsboro, Pa., Mrs. Mae Kelley of Watkins Glen; one brother, A. J. Margeson of Almond, N. Y.; seventeen grandchildren and six great-grandchildren. The funeral will be held from the Sargeant Funeral Home in Dundee at 2 o'clock Thursday afternoon.

From Ontario County Chronicle 4 January 1905

A strange sight for Canandaigua was witnessed Saturday morning at the burial of Joseph or Guiseppe Marifioti, the young Italian who was shot in the recent street battle. Marifioti died at the Canandaigua hospital Friday and his funeral was held from Ahrens & Sleght's undertaking rooms Friday morning. The Manchester Military band was engaged to furnish music on the occasion that the obsequies might be carried out in true Italian style. A crowd of Italians augmented by curious sightseers was congregated on the sidewalk outside the undertaking rooms, when the hearse was backed up to the curb and as the bearers slowly carried the coffin through the crowd, the band struck up a solemn and touching dirge, "Gen. Sherman's Funeral March." As soon as the coffin was placed in the hearse the funeral cortege formed, the band still playing the dead march, leading the way to St. Mary's church, where the funeral services were to be held, and the bearers with uncovered heads walking beside the hearse. As the coffin was taken from the hearse to be conveyed into the church, it was followed by a single mourner, a young nephew of the murdered man, and his only relative in this country, weeping bitterly but without any violent demonstration of grief. After the services the remains were escorted to the grave in the same impressive manner and the dead man was laid to rest in the beautiful Calvary cemetery. While the custom of having musicians present at a burial is a common one in Italy, it was a sight probably never before witnessed in Canandaigua, and the sad and touching strains of the music, coupled with the deep grief of the solitary Italian boy who was the only mourner, created a feeling of sympathy and almost of grief among the onlookers. While considerable indignation is expressed over the vicious brawl which has disturbed the peace of the community, much sympathy is expressed for Marifioti, who is well spoken of by business men of the village who have had dealings with him.

From Geneva Daily Times 18 January 1937

Adam Marinangell,
65, of 92 North Genesee street, resident of Geneva for 24 years, died Saturday night at the Geneva General Hospital after a short illness. Surviving are his wife, Anna; one son, Joseph; four daughters, Mrs. Eva Pallicano of Canandaigua, Mrs. Fedora Yacovutti of Selby, Calif., and the Misses Angela and Marie Marinangell of Geneva. The funeral will be held Thursday morning at 8:30 o'clock from his late home and 9 o'clock from St. Francis de Sales church. Interment will be in St. Patrick's cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 14 August 1914

Victor, N. Y. - 
On Wednesday morning of last week occurred the death of Mrs. John Mariner at her home a mile west of this village. About ten weeks ago, Mrs. Mariner suffered a severe shock from which she never recovered. She was 72 years of age. Her first husband, John Harrington, died 42 years ago, leaving two children, Anna, who died several weeks ago, and John Harrington of New York City. Her second husband, John Mariner, died five years ago. Two children survive, Margaret and Martin, who reside at home. Funeral services were held on Saturday with a solemn Requiem Mass at St. Patrick's church, Rev. J. J. Donnelly officiating, assisted by Rev. F. A. Neville. Interment was made in the Catholic cemetery in High Street.

From Ontario County Journal 12 March 1897

East Bloomfield, N. Y. -  Myron Mariner,
one of East Bloomfield's respected citizens, died at his home on Tuesday morning, at the age of 77 years. Mr. Mariner was born in Sharon, Conn.; his father's family moved to Yates county when a small boy, where he resided until 1848, when he purchased the farm of Levi S. Beach, where he lived until the time of his death. For 20 years he was a breeder of American Merino sheep, for 11 of which he paid $2500. He was highway commissioner 12 years, and was supervisor in 1887-88. Mr. Mariner was a Republican since the organization of that party. The funeral services were held from his late residence on Thursday afternoon at 2:30. The Rev. B. F. Hitchcock, pastor of the M. E. church, officiated. Interment will be at Bellona, Yates county, on this Friday afternoon.

From Ontario County Journal 12 March 1897

Clifton Springs, N. Y. -  Bernhard Mark
died yesterday morning at his home on Crane street at the age of 62 years. Mr. Mark came to Clifton Springs 27 years ago and has conducted a tailoring establishment until taken ill several weeks ago. Besides his wife, he is survived by four sons, Henry Marks of Sodus; Jacob Mark of Rochester; Herman Mark of Shortsville; Louis Mark of Virginia; two grandchildren. Funeral will be conducted by Canoga Lodge F. and A. M. of which he was a member. Burial in Clifton Springs Cemetery.

From Clifton Springs Press 6 July 1939

Clifton Springs, N. Y. - Bernhard Mark
died yesterday morning at his home on Crane street at the age of 62 years. Mr. Mark came to Clifton Springs 27 years ago and has conducted a tailoring establishment until taken ill several weeks ago. Besides his wife, he is survived by four sons: Henry Mark of Sodus, Jacob Mark of Rochester; Herman Mark of Shortsville, Louis Mark of Virginia; two grandchildren. Funeral will be from the home on Saturday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock and will be conducted by Garoga Lodge F. & and A. M. of which he was a member. Burial in Clifton Springs cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 21 April 1927

Clifton Springs, N. Y. - Isadore Mark,
aged 25, died late Monday night at the Clifton Springs Sanitarium from injuries received Saturday evening when his automobile skidded and crushed against a tree just beyond the western limits of the village on the Rocky Run hill. He is survived by his wife, Gladys Mark; one son, Morris; parents, Mr. and Mrs. Brenard Mark of Crane street; and four brothers, Henry, Jacob, Herman and Louis, all of Clifton Springs. Services will be held from the home of his parents on Friday afternoon at 2:30, the Lyons lodge, B. P. O. E., of which the deceased was a member in charge of the services. Interment will be in Clifton Springs cemetery.

From The Fairport Herald 9 August 1911 (Monroe County)

Farmington, N. Y. - The remains of Ann Eliza Markham of Lansing, Mich., were brought here for burial last week Thursday.  The burial was in the South Farmington cemetery. She leaves besides her husband, William Penn Markham, one daughter, Mrs. Lutie Hodges. She had been ill about 4 months with cancer of the liver. Her husband is the last surviving one of the family of Markhams. His brothers, Andrew and Lee, died several years ago. She was 72 years old.

From Fairport Herald  29 September 1927

The death of Mrs. Ann Eliza Markham occurred at her home in New Salem, Farmington, N. Y., at an early hour Sept. 22. She was eighty-six years of age. She was the daughter of John W. and Anna B. Gardner, and had resided in this town nearly all her life. Her parents being members of the society of Friends, she was instructed in that faith. Her funeral was held from the Friends church in Farmington Friday at 3:30 p.m., Rev. Eliezer Parting officiating. Mrs. Markham had been in failing health for two years and a great sufferer at the last. She leaves to mourn her loss a daughter, Mrs. Lewis H. Lombard; and one son, Leaman Eugene Markham of Handford, Calif.; three brothers, Edwin J. and Charles H. Gardner of Farmington, and Leonard W. Gardner of Palmyra; several grandchildren, nephews and nieces. On the 18th of the sixth month, 1863, she was united in marriage to Leaman Markham, who passed on several years ago. She had many friends and will be greatly missed. The beautiful flowers covering the casket testified to the esteem in which she was held. The remains were interred in North Farmington Friends cemetery. 

From Ontario County Chronicle 7 October 1903

Mrs. Emily Holcomb Marks,
mother of our townsman, W. R. Marks, died at her home in Naples Wednesday morning, aged 87 years. Death was due to her advanced age. She is survived by two daughters, Mrs. E. A. Griswold of Naples, Mrs. F. M. Rogers of New York city, and one son, W. R. Marks of Canandaigua. The funeral was held from her late home Friday, the Rev. W. R. Pierce of Buffalo officiating.

From Ontario County Journal 7 May 1897

Naples, N. Y. -
The funeral of the late Emogene K., wife of W. R. Marks, of Canandaigua, was held here on Wednesday afternoon from the home of Mrs. Emily Marks, Rev. Mr. Campbell of Canandaigua officiating, assisted by Rev. J. A. Smith and Rev. B. F. Millard of Naples, and Rev. James Parsons of Buffalo. Naples had been the home of Mrs. Marks from her childhood till within a few years. She was a favorite here and was indeed a lovely woman. She leaves, besides her husband and her three sons, a brother, Dr. Z. F. Knapp; and a sister, Mrs. Marcia Dutcher of Naples; also two other sisters, Mrs. H. J. Wemett of Lakeville, and Mrs. Frank Ayres of Palmyra. One beloved sister, Mrs. F. R. Cribb, died three months ago at Silver Lake. Mrs. Marks died in Buffalo, to which city she had gone, that she might be present at the graduation of her oldest son, William. She was taken ill while attending the exercises, so violently that she could not be removed to her home.

From Penn Yan Democrat 10 February 1928

At her home in Hall, Saturday, February 4, 1928, Mrs. Frank Marks, aged 51 years. She is survived by her husband, Frank Marks; one son, Arnold, of Medina; one daughter, Maude, at home; her father, G. B. Arnold, of Rochester; two brothers, L. C. Arnold of Manchester, N. H., and G. B. Arnold of Nebraska City, Neb. The funeral was held on Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock, Rev. Watson, of No. 9 Church, and Rev. Sykes, of Hall Congregational Church, officiating. Burial in Little Church cemetery, Gorham.

From Naples Record 22 February 1939

The death of Frank K. Marks, 60, of Canandaigua, occurred in that city last Thursday, February 16, 1939. His parents were William R. and Imogene Knapp Marks, and he was born in Middlesex on December 17, 1878. With his parents, he came to Naples to reside, and attended school here until the family removed to Washington, D. C.  Later they removed to Canandaigua. Mr. Marks was active in business in Canandaigua until his health failed a few years ago. For many years he was associated with his father in the retail shoe business and later operated a garage in that city. He was a frequent visitor among his relatives and friends in Naples, a wide circle of whom will truly mourn his passing.

On June 20, 1900, Mr. Marks was united in marriage with Miss Grace Canfield of Canandaigua, who survives. He also leaves two daughters, Miss Imogene Marks of New York City, and Mrs. Lucille Curtiss of Rochester; and one grandchild. Services were held on Saturday at 4 p.m. from the Woodlawn chapel, in Canandaigua, and burial was made in Woodlawn Cemetery beside a little daughter who died several years ago. A number of relatives from Naples attended the funeral.

From Ontario County Journal 3 February 1911

Mrs. Isabelle F. Butler Marks,
wife of W. Frank Marks, died at her home in Hopewell on Wednesday morning, following a brief illness from heart trouble. She had been in ill health for two years. Funeral services will be held at the home this afternoon. Rev. H. L. Gaylord, of St. John's church, will officiate and interment will be in Woodlawn. Deceased was born in Palmyra on April 8, 1853, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Butler. Soon afterward the family became residents of this village. Mrs. Marks was educated at Ontario Female seminary. She was united in marriage with W. Frank Marks on June 2, 1880, and they had since resided upon their farm in Hopewell. Besides her husband, Mrs. Marks leaves two daughters, Misses Jessie E. and Ethel F. Marks, and one son, Walter H. Marks of Hopewell. One sister, Miss Jessie C. Butler of Toronto, Ont.; a niece, Miss Mona Wiley of Edinburgh, Scotland; and a nephew, Walter C. Wiley, of Toronto, also survive.

From Ontario County Chronicle 22 April 1903

Mrs. Sena Benham Marks,
widow of Walter Marks of Hopewell, near Canandaigua, died suddenly yesterday morning while sitting in her chair at home. The cause of death was heart failure. Mrs. Marks was 84 years of age, and a lifelong resident of Hopewell, where she leaves a large circle of friends. One son, W. F. Marks, also of Hopewell, survives.

From Ontario County Journal 14 April 1916

Gorham, N. Y. - 
The funeral of Thomas Marks, whose death took place after a long illness with heart trouble, was held from his late home in this village, on April 3, Rev. W. G. Reed of Milo, former pastor of the Methodist church, officiating and burial took place in the Little Church cemetery near Hall. The deceased leaves his wife; one daughter, Mrs. S. P. Clark of Ferguson's; and one brother, Jacob Marks of Hall. He had been a resident of Gorham many years.

From Victor Herald 12 October 1895

Walter Marks, a lifelong resident of the town of Hopewell, died at his home in that town last Saturday morning, aged 78 years. He was supervisor of his town eight terms, and served one term as county clerk. By occupation he was a farmer and always took a lively interest in the Agricultural Society. He was the inventor of the fertilizer attachment for grain drills.

From Shortsville Enterprise 2 January 1930

The death of Walter Frank Marks, a well-known resident of the town of Hopewell, occurred at the Memorial hospital in Canandaigua on Christmas day, after a long illness. His age was 75 years. Mr. Marks was a native of Hopewell, and was born on July 3, 1854, a son of the late Walter and Sena Benham Marks. His entire life had been spent in that town. The survivors are one son, Walter F. Marks, and two daughters, the Misses Ethel and Jessie Marks, all of Hopewell. Private funeral services were held from Woodlawn chapel in Canandaigua on Friday afternoon conducted by the Rev. H. L. Gaylord, pastor of St. John's Episcopal church of Canandaigua. The burial was made in family plot in Woodlawn cemetery in that city.

From Geneva Daily Times 10 June 1904

Mrs. Anna Marmack
died at six o'clock last evening, at her home on Pre-Emption street, aged thirty-one years. The deceased is survived by her husband, two sons and three daughters.

From Shortsville Enterprise 28 February 1929

The death of Fred Marsa of Manchester Center occurred at the Clifton Springs Sanitarium on Saturday morning, following an illness of two weeks. His age was 55 years. Mr. Marsa was a native of Canada, having been born on October 2, 1873. He located in Manchester town during the year 1909. He was foreman of the Manchester icing station of the Continental Ice Company. He was married in 1910 to Miss Josephine Guilfoil of Shortsville. Besides his wife, he is survived by two sons, Alfred and Francis Marsa; four daughters, Julia, Gertrude, Louise and Josephine Marsa, all of Manchester; three brothers, Percy Marsa of Charlevoix, Mich., Vitus Marsa of Flushing, Mich., and Francis Marsa of Badaxe, Mich.; and three sisters, Mrs. Louise Wolfang of Flint, Mich., Mrs. Bertha Rosencrans of Alma, Mich., and Mrs. Stella McKay of Seattle, Wash. Funeral services were held from his late home Tuesday morning at 9 o'clock and from St. Dominic's church at 9:30, of which the deceased was a member. Solemn requiem mass was celebrated by Rev. John J. Ganey of Newark, assisted by Rev. John Brophy of Rochester and Rev. J. E. Napier, pastor of St. Dominic's. The remains were laid at rest in St. Rose cemetery, Shortsville.

From Geneva Daily Times 26 October 1931

Mrs. Stella B. Marsden,
wife of Frank Marsden, died at her home, Lyceum street, yesterday morning following a short illness. Besides her husband, she leaves one son, Howard F. Marsden, of Albany. The funeral will be held at 10 o'clock Wednesday morning at her late home on Lyceum street with the Alexander Thompson of the North Presbyterian church officiating. Burial will be in Restvale Cemetery at Seneca Falls.

From Ontario Repository & Messenger 25 June 1903

Chapinville - The death of Mrs. Francis Marsh occurred at her home Saturday evening. She had been an invalid several years and was a great sufferer. She was 46 years of age and is survived by her husband and four sons. The funeral was held at the house Tuesday afternoon.

From Geneva Gazette 16 December 1898

Mrs. Fred Marsh
of Phelps died on the 11th inst. She leaves five young children, the youngest a babe one week old. She is also survived by her husband, two sisters and two brothers.

From Ontario County Journal 16 December 1898

Phelps, N. Y. -
Last Sunday occurred the death of Millie, wife of Fred Marsh, aged 25 years. Mrs. Marsh's death is a sad one, as she leaves 5 little children, the youngest a babe of a few weeks old. The death was caused by pneumonia. The deceased.was a daughter of Mrs. Matoon of this village, and is survived by several brothers and sisters. The funeral services were held from the family residence at 12 o'clock on Wednesday and at the M. E. church at 1:30 p.m., the interment being in the Phelps cemetery.

From Geneva Courier 29 September 1858

Henry Marsh, a young man about 20 years of age, son of Samuel Marsh, a respectable farmer residing near Melvin Hill in the town of Phelps, was engaged with Messrs. E. Wilcox, Wm. Dillon and others in pursuit of game for the Railroad festival at Rochester, and while climbing a large tree for a coon, fell a distance of about 40 feet and was instantly killed.

From Geneva Daily Times 15 November 1932

Hopewell, N. Y. - John Marsh
of the Chapin Road died at his home on Sunday morning about 5 o'clock, aged 52 years. The deceased had suffered greatly from a complication of diseases for the past few years. He had been a lifelong resident of Hopewell, a member of Chapin Methodist church and a member of Manchester Orange. He is survived by his wife, three children, two daughters, Mrs. Arnold Howland of Manchester and Mrs. Lyle Edwards of Buffalo, and a son, Clarence Marsh of Hopewell; two grandchildren, Marjory Howland and a grandson, John Kelly March of Hopewell; three brothers, Lewis Marsh of the Cheshire road, Robert Marsh of Tampa, Florida, and Herbert Marsh of Chicago. Funeral services will be held from the late home on Wednesday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock with Rev. Guy Crawford of Rushville, a former pastor, officiating. Interment will be made in Chapman Cemetery, Orleans road. The pall-bearers will be Everette Calman, Fred Grace, Herman Inglis, Perry Pettit, Alfred Coomber and William Marshall.

From Ontario County Journal 31 March 1905

Naples, N. Y. -  Mrs. Lucena Sutton Marsh
was buried on March 23 from the home in West Hollow, where she had lived 89 years. She was one of the large and prominent Sutton family, and the last of the children of John and Judith Hawes Sutton. One half-brother, George W. Sutton, of Bath, son of husband by a former wife, still lives. Mrs. Marsh was one of those home-loving, industrious women of the former generation, who cared but little for the great world, and was more content to dwell in peace and usefulness in their own place. She had seen but little of the rush and fever of the ambitious lovers of gain, nor of the country in which she dwelt. She married in 1838 Proctor Smith. Three children, Seymour L. Smith, Clarence F. Smith of Naples, and Mrs. Judith Harris of Honeoye, survive. Mr. Smith died in 1847, and 19 years after, she married William Marsh, who died in 1882. Her home was with her son, Clarence.

From Ontario County Journal 23 March 1877

Mr. Samuel Marsh,
an old and respected resident of Phelps, died in that place last Monday morning.  He had been ill for a long time.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 13 March 1907

Naples, N. Y. - Mrs. Sarah Jane Marsh
died Sunday evening, March 3, after an illness of three years, aged 76. She was born in Ingleside, July 14, 1830, where she lived the first twelve years of her life, coming to Naples where most of her years were spent. She was the second child of Abraham and Maria Deyo. In November, 1849, she married Harmon Maring of Prattsburgh, by whom she had four children, three daughters and a son, the eldest of whom, Mrs. Charles Slayton of Naples, has made a home for her mother in the years of her feebleness. In 1883, she was married to Stephen J. Marsh, who died six years ago. Mrs. Marsh lived an active, useful life and was highly esteemed. She is survived by the one daughter and one son, Lee Maring of Springfield, Mass.; ten grandchildren and one sister, Mrs. George Briglin of Ingleside. Two of her daughters died in infancy. Funeral services were held from the home of Mrs. Slayton in Monier street, Wednesday, their pastor, Rev. C. C. MacLean officiating. The burial was at Ingleside.

From Geneva Daily Times 17 January 1914

Hopewell Center, N. Y. -
The funeral of Albert Marshall, who passed away at his home, east of Chapin, early Wednesday morning, will be held from his late home on Saturday afternoon. The services will be conducted by Rev. Mr. Rowley, pastor of the Methodist church of Chapin. The burial will be made in Chapman cemetery. Mr. Marshall was about 74 years of age and had been in poor health for some time. He is survived by his wife, four daughters, Mrs. Carrie Rice, Mrs. Jennie Freshour, Mrs. Elinor McMurray of Hopewell and Mrs. Mary Turner of Littleton, Conn., and three sons, Albert L. and Lyman L. of Elizabeth, New Jersey, and William W. of Barrington, Rhode Island.

From Ontario County Journal 1 March 1918

Bristol, N. Y. - 
On Monday occurred the death of Asa Marshall at Canandaigua hospital at the age of 81 years. He was born in this town and spent all but the first two or three years here. He married Maria Lee, of Bristol. Three children were born to them, two dying in infancy. The other, Fred Marshall, of Canandaigua, survives; also one grandson. The funeral was held from the Universalist church on Tuesday.

From Ontario County Journal 12 January 1912

Bristol, N. Y. - Mrs. Asa Marshall,
who had been in poor health for some time, died at her home early on Monday morning. She was a daughter of William Lee, and a lifelong resident of the town. Besides her husband, she leaves one son, Fred; two brothers, Vernon and Frank, of Bristol; and one sister, Mrs. William Washburn of Allen's Hill. The funeral was held on Tuesday.

From Ontario County Journal 24 December 1909

Burned beyond recognition, the body of Mrs. Clarissa B. Marshall, aged over 80 yrs, was found lying on the floor in the living room of her home on Chapin street on Wednesday afternoon. The clothing had been burned from the body, and the floor beneath where it lay was burned entirely away, evidently from contact with the woman's burning clothing, so that the body rested upon the rafters. About 2 o'clock Mrs. George W. Wood, a neighbor, was passing the house which Mrs. Marshall had occupied alone for more than 30 years, when she saw a blaze in the front window. She notified neighbors and a still alarm was sent to the Merrill Hose Co. Before the firemen arrived, however, residents of the neighborhood had gathered and broken into the house. The furniture and carpet in the front room, in which the aged woman spent most of her time, were burning briskly. Fire had eaten through a wall and flames were darting up between the clapboards and lath to the roof. Then a general alarm was sent in and the other fire companies called. It was some time after the firemen had commenced work that a stream from the Merrill chemical hose, held by Sherman Cooper, washed away the debris and revealed the ghastly spectacle of the body, burned to a crisp, lying upon the floor. The first to arrive at the fire found no trace of the sole occupant of the house, and as she frequently went out to spend the day with friends, her absence did not cause alarm. Immediately upon finding the body, Coroner P. M. Donovan was called, and Policeman Cougevan and Flak went to guard the house from the curious throng. The remains were taken to the Kennedy undertaking rooms and placed in a sealed casket. The chemicals proved insufficient to quench the fire, and water was turned into the building for several minutes. The damage to the house is estimated at $1000.

Coroner Donovan has been unable to reach a satisfactory conclusion as to how the woman met her death. Those who knew her habits think that she had started into a darkened part of her house with a lighted lamp, which in some way set fire to her clothing. It is probable that the woman had been dead from her burns an hour or more before the fire was discovered from the outside. The theory that she set fire to her clothing with the intention of ending her life is not believed by those who knew the aged woman. She had many friends about the village whom she frequently visited, and had never given any evidence of being tired of life. Mrs. Marshall was very feeble, and was scarcely able to hobble about. Her faithful cane, nearly consumed by the fire, was found at her side.

Deceased was a member of a distinguished family. General Elisha Marshall of Rochester, who died some years ago, was a brother. She was a cousin of the late General John Robinson, of Binghamton, a former lieutenant governor. Rev. George K. Ward of Rochester is a nephew of the deceased. Mrs. Marshall was married to Joseph Herron, one of the best known lawyers of Seneca county. They also lived in Elmira and came to Canandaigua soon after the Civil war. She secured a separation many years ago and assumed her maiden name. Since that time she had preferred to live alone. A daughter died several years ago. A son, Frederick Herron, lives in Indianapolis, Ind. A sister, Mrs. Josephine Y. Talmadge, of Auburn, and several nieces and nephews survive. Mrs. Marshall was for many years librarian of Wood library, and had been secretary of the Botany club since its organization. She was a member of St. John's church.

From Ontario Repository & Messenger 12 February 1891

East Bloomfield -
The funeral service of Mrs. Emeline Marshall, widow of the late Stearns Marshall, was held at the residence of her brother, A. H. Howley, Sunday afternoon. She was 76 years of age.

From Ontario County Journal 19 August 1898

North Bloomfield, N. Y. - Mrs. Lyman Marshall
died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Joshua Durrant, last Friday, after a lingering illness. She is survived by two sons, Winfield and Frank. The funeral services were held at the residence on Sunday afternoon with burial at Honeoye Falls.

From Ontario County Chronicle 5 December 1900

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - Marion Marshall died Wednesday afternoon at the age of 28 years. He is survived by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Winfield Marshall, his wife and infant boy, besides six brothers and two sisters. The funeral was held from his late home Saturday forenoon at 11 o'clock.

From Ontario County Times 28 July 1875

North Bloomfield, N. Y. -
This day the last tribute of respect was paid to the remains of Mrs. Alexander Martin, who departed from life Wednesday last. The services were conducted by Rev. Hamilton Squires, assisted by Rev's. S. A. Freeman and L. C. Brown of Honeoye Falls, thus practicing the beauties of the saying "behold how beautiful for brethren to dwell together in unity." Mrs. Martin was one of those few who lived to make this world a world of sunshine, and had journeyed in its pleasant ways more than seventy-five years. Upwards of fifty-two years she was the happy wife of Alexander Martin, who is left, with five children and numerous grandchildren, to mourn her departure. May the consoling words "As in Adam all die even so in Christ shall all be made alive," be unto them "a very present help in time of need." For more than a year she has been unwell, when finally death by dropsy came to her relief. She leaves a very large circle of friends to mourn her departure. Her acquaintances were many and to know her was to love her.

From Ontario Repository & Messenger 24 January 1877

Gorham, N. Y. -
On Saturday, the 13th inst., Mrs. Alice Martin was buried. She died on the morning of the 6th, and the roads hindered the burial. Mrs. Martin has been an invalid for many years, but there were lucid moments that memory came back and brought to her the burdens and joys of long ago. She had been a good wife, a faithful, fond mother, but alas, disease, which spares none nor looks on human state, for the latter years of her life scattered the light which once shone on her path, and her death was a release to the purer spirit held in bondage to the feeble body, and death came sweeping o'er the silver chords of life to give her release.

From Ontario County Journal 30 September 1898

North Bloomfield, N. Y. -
The funeral of Amasa H. Martin was held from his residence last Sunday. He was a well-known and respected citizen, being an active member of the Universalist church; also a trustee of same at time of his death. He leaves, besides a wife, one daughter, Mrs. George Atwell of Lima; two sons, Dean G. and Alexander. He was 74 years of age. Burial was at village cemetery.

From Naples Record 26 June 1875

On May 27, Barney Martin of Gorham died of bone cancer. Death came to his relief after a year's extreme suffering. Barney's death takes from us an honest, sober, industrious young man.

From Ontario County Times 12 May 1886

East Bloomfield, N. Y. -  Mrs. Caroline Martin,
aged 77 years, mother of Mrs. Luther Barber, died very suddenly last Monday morning, May 3d, without scarcely any warning, and was buried on Baptist Hill on Wednesday.

From Ontario County Journal 12 July 1895

Naples, N. Y. - Mrs. Charles Martin
of South Bristol died on Sunday night. She was 40 years of age, the daughter of the late D. A. Crandall. Her husband and one grown son, and a young child survive her.

From Ontario County Journal 17 September 1909

Naples, N. Y. -
The death of Charles Hicks Martin occurred on Sunday afternoon. For 10 years Mr. Martin had been laid aside with an affection of the spine which rendered him unable to walk. It is said that this was the result of an accident incurred while he was farming at his old home in South Bristol. He had been a hard-working, skillful farmer. He married Miss Amelia Lincoln, oldest daughter of Linius Lincoln. She has devotedly cared for him during this long prostration. He was uncomplaining in this affliction and made the best of it. He was a great reader and his mind was stored with general information. He had been a subscriber to the Ontario County Journal for many years. His age was 59 years. Besides his wife, he leaves a sister, Mrs. Black of Gorham, and two brothers in Wisconsin. Rev. James Moss of the Methodist church, officiated at the funeral Wednesday afternoon, held at the house. 

From Geneva Gazette 15 May 1846

Suicide -
A man by the name of Edward Martin, shot himself on Monday last, at the residence of his brother, Benjamin Martin, in the village of Manchester, in this county.  He expired in half an hour after the commission of the deed.  He was 42 years old, and has left a widow and one child.  Domestic trouble and intemperance are assigned as the cause of the act.

From Ontario County Journal 14 November 1902

Chapinville, N. Y. -
The death of Mrs. Emeline Dennis Martin, wife of Jacob Martin, occurred at the family home on Friday morning. Mrs. Martin had been ill for two months with cancer of the stomach, and during that time she had been a great sufferer. The deceased came here in 1861 with her husband, who engaged in the manufacture of spokes and hubs. Mrs. Martin was born in China, Me., 76 years ago. When a young woman, she came with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Dennis, to Henrietta, and there, on Oct. 24, 1847, she married Mr. Martin. Besides her husband, she leaves one son, Edward D. Martin of Shortsville; two daughters, Miss N. Isabelle Martin of this place, and Mrs. R. N. Shumaker of Canandaigua; two brothers, Jacob Dennis of Chapinville, and Merton O. Dennis of Batavia; and two sisters, Mrs. Loring H. Brunson of East Bloomfield, and Mrs. David F. Smith of Shortsville. The funeral was largely attended from the home on Monday morning at 10:30 o'clock, Rev. John Evans, pastor of the Clifton Springs Universalist Church, of which Mrs. Martin was a member, officiating. The remains were interred in the West Avenue cemetery, Canandaigua, beside a daughter, Mary Ida Martin, who died in 1866.

From Phelps Citizen 4 June 1934

Frank W. Martin,
51, died Friday evening after a brief illness at his home 3 miles south of Phelps. Mr. Martin was born at Brighton, Can., and had lived in Phelps for about 15 years. He was superintendent of the Newark Municipal Water Works stationed at the reservoir south of Phelps, and was a member of Sincerity Lodge No. 200, F. & A. M. He is survived by his widow and two sons, Walter and Clifford, and one stepdaughter, Mrs. Marion Fan. The funeral services were conducted at the home Monday afternoon, Rev. W. A. Brown, rector of St. John's Episcopal church officiating. Members of Sincerity Lodge conducted the committal services at the home, with burial at East Palmyra cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 25 February 1896

The death of Henry Martin, one of the oldest and most prominent business men of Canandaigua, occurred on Sunday. He came from Kingston, Canada, to Canandaigua in 1858. He was aged 62 years. Survivors are a widow, two sons, William and Ernest, and two daughters, Minnie and Harriet. Deceased was a member of the Masonic fraternity and had held office of public trust. The funeral will be held today.

From Ontario County Times 5 May 1886

West Bloomfield, N. Y. -
The funeral of Mr. Isaac Martin was held at his late resident Wednesday afternoon. Mr. Martin had suffered a long and painful illness. A nephew who was with him during the latter part of his illness is to stay with Mrs. Martin and take charge of the place.

From Ontario County Journal 12 February 1909

Manchester, N. Y. -
The funeral of James Martin, whose death occurred in Kansas City on Feb. 2, was held in St. Dominic's church on Saturday morning, and interment was made in Clifton Springs cemetery. Mrs. Martin, who was accompanying the remains, was taken seriously ill en route and removed to a hospital in Chicago.

From Geneva Daily Times 22 January 1909

Mrs. Martha Martin
died last night at 11 o'clock at her home, No. 399 Exchange street. She leaves one brother, Myron Martin, of this city, and one sister, Mrs. Edith M. Giles of Detroit, Mich. The funeral will take place tomorrow afternoon at 3 o'clock from St. Peter's Episcopal church. Burial in Glenwood Cemetery.

From Shortsville Enterprise 16 November 1916

The death of Patrick Martin, a well-known resident of Manchester village, occurred at his home in that place at 5 o'clock on Saturday morning. He had been ill for several weeks. His age was 68 years. Mr. Martin was born in Lockport, N. Y., a son of the late John and Hannah Schuley Martin. He was educated in the schools at Lockport, and about 40 years ago removed to Ontario county. He located in the township of Manchester during the year of 1881, where he since continuously resided. For several years he conducted a hotel in Manchester village. In 1880 he united in marriage with Miss Anna O'Hora of Littleville. She died about 9 years ago. The survivors are one daughter, Miss Mary Martin, of Manchester; one son, John E. Martin of Newark; one sister, Mrs. Mary Mullet, of Lockport; two brothers, Walter Martin of Mason City, Iowa, and L. E. Martin of Clifton Springs; also one grandchild, Orville Martin of Newark. The funeral services were held from St. Dominic's church in this village on Monday morning at 9:30 o'clock, conducted by the Rev. F. J. O'Hanlon. The interment followed in St. Agnes cemetery east of this village.

From Geneva Daily Times 11 March 1907

Manchester, N. Y. - The community was shocked to learn of the death of Mrs. Patrick Martin of this village, which occurred at her home Saturday afternoon after a few days sickness, her age being 47 years. The direct cause of death was a formation which recently appeared at the base of the brain and caused great suffering. Besides her husband, Patrick Martin, she is survived by two sons, James of Manchester, Minn.; and John of Newark, N. Y., and one daughter, Miss Minnie Martin, of this village; also her mother, Mrs. James O'Hara and three brothers, Michael, Edward and Daniel, all of Shortsville, and two sisters, Mrs. Patrick O'Neil and Mrs. Fitzpatrick, also of Shortsville.

From Victor Herald 21 July 1899

Robert I. Martin
died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Alexander Black in the town of Seneca, this county, June 27, 1899, at the age of 85 years. He was a resident of this village for a number of years, and after the death of his wife went to live with his daughter. He was for many years a resident of the town of Canandaigua, coming there with his father from Miland, Dutchess county, about the year 1833. The remains were brought to Victor for interment.

From Naples Record 22 March 1873

Academy - Wm. Martin,
a resident of this place for upwards of 42 years, died Feb. 27th, 1873, aged 72 years.

From Ontario County Journal 23 October 1891

Cheshire, N. Y. - Mrs. William Martin,
who died in the Willard State Hospital Sunday, October 11th, was a resident of Academy for upwards of sixty years. Her remains were buried in the cemetery at Academy, by the side of her husband, who died several years ago. She was a woman of excellent qualities of head and heart, and a friend of the needy and poor. She was the mother of Mrs. K. W. Green, and we hoped to see some good words from the same fertile pen that wrote the obituary of Mrs. Green. But she has finished her course here and gone to her reward, and like one of old has heard the grand announcement: "Well done, good and faithful servant, enter thou into the joy of the Lord."

From Ontario County Journal 13 June 1913

William Henry Harrison Martin,
well-known to cottagers and residents along the west lake shore, died at Willard State hospital last week, aged about 73 years. He resided near Seneca Point. Besides his wife, he leaves four sons, George, of South Bristol,, Hiram K. of Bristol, Clark C. of Holcomb, Benjamin B. of Sodus; five daughters, Mrs. Oscar Fletcher of Holcomb, Mrs. Frank Johnson, West lake shore, Mrs. W. C. Tremain of Canandaigua, Mrs. Myron Coye, Albion, Texas, Mrs. Pearl Ormsby of New York City. Interment was at Academy.

From Ontario County Journal 11 May 1917

Naples, N. Y. - 
On Saturday evening occurred the death of William H. J. Martin, at his home on East Avenue, after a short illness of pneumonia. Mr. Martin was born in Ypsilanti, Mich., 68 years ago. In 1863 at the age of 14, he enlisted in Co. D. Fourth Regiment, Michigan Cavalry, and served until the end of the Civil war. Mr. Martin was one of the company that captured Jefferson Davis and received part of the reward. He also was one of the inside guards of the famous prisoner. He was twice married, his first wife being Miss Lida Smith, of Michigan. December 24, 1907, he married Mrs. Ella VanRiper, at Buffalo, who survives him. About four years ago they moved to Naples, the former home of Mrs. Martin. He leaves besides his wife, one son, G. A. Martin of Flint, Michigan; and two grandsons, one serving on the battleship Minnesota, and the other in the military school at Lansing, Mich. He was commander of Bingham Post, G. A. R. Funeral services at the home on Tuesday were in charge of the G. A. R. assisted by Rev. Joseph H. France.

From Ontario County Journal 28 January 1910

The death of John J. Mary, aged 66 years, occurred on Monday evening at his home on Gibson street. Death was due to tuberculosis. The deceased was a civil war veteran. With the exception of a few years spent in Elmira, he had always resided in Canandaigua. Mr. Mary is survived by his wife and one son, John, of this village, and one daughter, Mrs. John Cannan of Elmira. Funeral services were held yesterday afternoon.

From Ontario County Journal 7 July 1893

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - D. W. Martz
died very suddenly Tuesday night at the home of Calvin Davidson, just north of the Bristol town line. Mr. Martz had been boarding at Mr. Davidson's about a week. Tuesday he claimed to be feeling unusually strong and well. It is believed that apoplexy was the cause of his death, although no one was present when he died. About 11 o'clock Mr. Davidson went to Mr. Martz's sleeping room and found him dead. Mr. Martz was born in April, 1811, in Milton, Pa. The greater part of his life was spent in this place. His wife and daughter, Mrs. Eber Cone, have both passed away during the last year.

From Geneva Advertiser Gazette 20 July 1905

Mrs. Mary Maskaes
died at her home on Castle street last Monday afternoon at about three o'clock, of consumption, aged 40 years. It is a nice German family, formerly living in Brooklyn, but on account of her health they were advised to move into the country. Her husband and eldest daughter are workers in silk, so they came to Geneva, moved into the Harrington house and he obtained employment in the silk mill. Parties passing the house saw the sick woman every nice day sitting in a rocking chair on the porch, and could realize that she was gradually failing. She took to her bed last Sunday morning -- no more out-of-doors for her and lingered only a few hours longer. Her funeral was held yesterday, interment in Glenwood.

From Geneva Daily Times 18 July 1905

Mary Maskaes,
wife of John Maskaes, died at her home, No. 288 Castle street, yesterday afternoon, aged 40 years. The cause of death was pulmonary tuberculosis. The deceased had only been a resident of this city for ten weeks, having removed here from Brooklyn. She is survived by her husband and three daughters. The funeral will be held from the house at 3 o'clock tomorrow afternoon. Rev. C. E. Jewell, of the First Methodist church, will officiate. Burial will be made in Glenwood cemetery.

From Shortsville Enterprise 28 November 1929

Fred Maslyn,
aged 38 years, a farmer residing about three miles east of Manchester, on the Manchester-Clifton Springs road, committed suicide by hanging himself in a barn at the rear of his home about 6 o'clock on Friday evening. Mr. Maslyn went to the barn as usual, in apparent good spirits, to do his chores. Shortly afterward, his daughter went to the barn and found his body hanging from a rafter. He was not quite dead and she rushed to the house and summoned her mother. After an unsuccessful attempt to release him, Mrs. Maslyn went to the house for a knife. When she returned he was dead. Coroner L. P. Conley of Clifton Springs was called and gave a certificate of death by suicide. No motive can be assigned for his act. The deceased is survived by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Maslyn of Clifton Springs; his wife, Mrs. Lena Johnson Maslyn; three children, seven brothers, Peter, Albert Alfonso, Henry, August and Lawrence, all of Clifton Springs, and Frances of Seneca Falls; five sisters, Mrs. Sophia Walters, Mrs. John Landschoot, Mrs. Frank VerStreet, Mrs. John Galens and Mrs. William Landschoot. Funeral services were held Monday morning at 9:30 o'clock from St. Felix's Catholic church in Clifton Springs, with burial in the Catholic cemetery there.

From Phelps Citizen 5 April 1923

John B. Maslyn
of Manchester and Charles Schilling of Buffalo were instantly killed at North LeRoy last Thursday night by the explosion of a Lehigh Valley railroad engine. Mr. Maslyn was born in Phelps on February 14, 1883, and had always lived in this section. For the past 8 years he had been a fireman on the Lehigh, and for ten years previous to that he had been employed by the New York Central railroad. He is survived by his wife, Josephine Carey Maslyn; and three sons, including twins who were born six weeks ago; besides his father, Jacob Maslyn; three brothers and three sisters. The funeral was held in Manchester on Monday, and burial was in Shortsville.

From Geneva Daily Times 26 April 1905

Clifton Springs, N. Y. -
The funeral services of Lewis Maslyn, who died at the Memorial Hospital in Canandaigua Sunday morning, were held this morning at the St. Felix church in this village and burial in the St. Agnes' Cemetery.

From Shortsville Enterprise 16 July 1936

Seeking relief from the heat, Peter Maslyn, aged about 45 years. of Manchester Center, lost his life by drowning in the Canandaigua Outlet on Sunday afternoon, at the swimming hole near Manchester Center. Accompanied by Allan Coates, also of that section, Maslyn went to the swimming hole and immediately dove in. Upon rising to the surface, he remarked that he had been shaken up by the dive, but kept on swimming. After a few strokes, he suddenly sank from sight, Coates, being unable to swim, ran for assistance and neighbors came with grappling hooks, but could not locate the body in the twelve feet of muddy water. Finally, Joe Boardman and George Proechel of Manchester arrived on the scene and dove repeatedly, the body being finally discovered by Proechel. Coroner Lawrence P. Conley of Clifton Springs was called and found that Maslyn had a compound fracture at the base of the skull, believed to have been caused by his first dive. A certificate of accidental drowning has been issued by Coroner Conley. Maslyn is survived by his wife and two children.

From Geneva Daily Times 3 February 1908

Clifton Springs, N. Y., Feb. 3 -
At St. Felix church this morning at 10 o'clock were held the funeral services of the late Mrs. Phoebe Maslyn, wife of Edward Maslyn, of this village. Mrs. Maslyn had been ill for the past five months. Her death occurred at her home on Kendall street on Friday night. She was 50 years old and was born in Holland. She came to this country to reside at the age of 25 years. Mrs. Maslyn was married shortly after coming to this country and came to this vicinity from Rochester, where she had spent the remainder of her life. She is survived by her husband; two sons, John and Lewis; and four daughters, Cora, Idalaide, Margaret and Evalena, all of Clifton Springs; four brothers, Charles Landschoot of Clifton Springs, Samuel of Oaks Corners, Peter and Constant of Phelps, one brother, August; and her mother, who lives in Holland. The interment was made in St. Agnes cemetery and her four brothers, Messrs. Charles, Constant, Peter and Samuel Landschoot acted as pall bearers.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 16 January 1917

Clifton Springs, N. Y., Jan 15 -
Shortly after 10 o'clock on Sunday evening in the home of her daughter, Mrs. August Garney, about two miles south of this village, occurred the death of Mrs. Sophia J. Maslyn, widow of Louis Maslyn, aged 87 years. Mrs. Maslyn was born in Holland on October 6, 1830, and came to this country about thirty-five years ago, soon settling on a farm east of this village, and she had since lived in this vicinity. Her husband died twenty-one years ago, since which time she had spent the most of her time with her children. She leaves three daughters, Mrs. Jacob Vershay of Rochester, Mrs. Frank Bremer and Mrs. August Garney, of this village; and four sons, Jacob of Shortsville, and Charles, Edward and Peter Maslyn, all of this village; fifty-five grandchildren and eighteen great-grandchildren. The funeral will be held on Wednesday morning at 10 o'clock from St. Felix Church, in this village, and burial will be made in St. Agnes cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 15 May 1908

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - 
On Friday morning occurred the death of Mrs. Ann Stewart Mason, widow of Charles Mason, aged 81 years. Mrs. Mason came to this country 46 years ago and had a lived a quiet life. She had been a great sufferer for the past few years from a cancer. She leaves one daughter, Eliza, and one son, Robert, both of this place; and four brothers, George Stewart of California; James of Syracuse; William of Minnesota and Samuel of Shortsville. The funeral services were held on Monday at 2 p.m. from her late residence, Rev. Bristol officiating. The interment was in the village cemetery.

From Victor Herald 12 September 1930

Arthur Mason, who was born in East Bloomfield 72 years ago, and lived there throughout his life with the exception of two years when he lived here, died at his home in East Bloomfield, Monday evening. His wife, who was Miss Caroline Stoddard, died in 1919. He leaves a daughter and son, Mrs. Lillian B. Donovan of Washington and Archie Mason of Holcomb, two sisters, Mrs William Cain of Holcomb and Mrs. Gooding Barringer of Canandaigua, also a granddaughter, Miss Dorothy Donovan of Rochester. Funeral services were held from the home, Thursday at 2 o'clock. Milnor Lodge, No. 139, F & AM, of Victor, conducted services at the grave in East Bloomfield cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 2 May 1919

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - 
At the family home last week Tuesday morning occurred the death of Mrs. Arthur Mason, after an illness of a week. Mrs. Mason was born in East Bloomfield on Dec. 29, 1862. She was married to Arthur B. Mason in 1881. Those who survive are the husband; one son and one daughter, the mother; and one sister, Mrs. Isaac Norton of Atlanta, Ga. Funeral services were held from the family home on Friday.

From Ontario County Journal 22 September 1911

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - 
The death of Benjamin Mason occurred at his home north of here Monday evening after a lingering illness, at the age of 57 years. He is survived by his wife, one daughter and three sons, all of this town. The funeral was held from the house yesterday afternoon being conducted by Rev. Edwin Johnson of St. Peter's church. Interment was in the village cemetery.

From Ontario County Chronicle 19 February 1902

East Bloomfield, N. Y. -
At her home, one mile north of this village, Mrs. Betsey Mason, wife of Samuel Mason, died at the age of 71 years. Mrs. Mason had been in poor health for a number of years. Wednesday morning she arose as usual but said she was not feeling well and would lay down for awhile when she continued to grow worse and expired about 8 o'clock. She is survived by her husband, three sons, Benjamin, Sidney, and Edward S. Mason, of this place, and a daughter, Mrs. Clara Goodhart of Tarrytown, N. Y.

From Clifton Springs Press April 1943

East Bloomfield, N. Y. -  Carl J. Mason,
59, of this village, carpenter and stone mason, died Sunday afternoon, April 18, 1943, in F. F. Thompson Hospital, Canandaigua, where he had been a patient since February 24. Born in Bristol, he was the son of Alfred and Ellen Morrow Mason, and came to East Bloomfield 28 years ago. He was a charter member and vice-president of the East Bloomfield and Holcomb Volunteer Fire Department and was active in the Methodist church, of which he was a member; also of its Men's Brotherhood. Besides his wife, Mrs. Lavina Burnham Mason, he leaves three sons, Kenneth B. Mason of Rochester, Robert Mason, Hornell, and Pvt. Jean Mason of the U. S. Air Force; three sisters, Mrs. Robert Burnham of Rochester, Mrs. Herbert Gladding of Honeoye and Mrs. Howard Grimble, South Bloomfield; also a granddaughter, Sandra Lee Mason, Hornell. Funeral services were conducted Wednesday afternoon from the W. E. Wheeler Funeral Home, Rev. Paul Huyett, pastor of the Methodist church, officiating. Burial was in East Bloomfield Cemetery. Members of the Fire Department attended in a body.

From Ontario County Journal 12 February 1897

Shortsville, N. Y. - 
The death of Mrs. Charles Mason occurred at her home in this village on Monday evening at about 9 o'clock. A few months ago she underwent a surgical operation, and has been constantly running down since. She was a member of the Presbyterian church here and was a lovely Christian woman. Her funeral was held yesterday afternoon from the house at 2 o'clock. The employees from the Drill works, of which Mr. Mason is superintendent, attended the funeral in a body. Rev. C. H. Lester officiated. Besides her husband and one daughter, Miss Louise, she leaves one sister, Mrs. Goodrich of Chicago, who has been with her during the past few weeks.

From Geneva Daily Times 16 April 1910

Shortsville, N. Y. - 
The funeral of Charles H. Mason was held from the Presbyterian church at 2:30 p.m. yesterday, Rev. Donald Mackenzie officiating. Mr. Mason died of heart trouble and the end came without warning, as was in the case of his father's death. Many of the older residents remember his father, Gardner Mason, one of Farmington's highly respected citizens, and who belonged to the Hicksite Quakers. He died when a comparatively young man of heart failure while in the woods at work in the winter of 1868. Charles Mason, whose funeral was held yesterday, was for many years an official member of the Presbyterian church in this place. His wife, whose maiden name was Miss Georgia Eldridge, was a woman of beautiful Christian character and when she died several years ago was mourned by everyone who knew her. Their last resting place will be a sacred spot to many who loved them in life. The funeral was largely attended by many mourning neighbors and relatives.

From Ontario County Journal 12 February 1897

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - Charles Henry Mason, Sr.,
one of the oldest and foremost business men of Bloomfield, died on Tuesday morning, after an illness of a year, at the age of 71 years. For more than thirty years, his life has been devoted to different kinds of business. His first business in town was the purchase of the lower Shephard mill. His partner was William R. Pitts of Richmond. After a few years he sold out his interest in the mill and went into the produce business, which he continued until the time of his death. For a number of years he owned one-half interest in the store with his son, Charles. The deceased was able to point back to a record of 30 years of business activity, in which honesty and integrity had been his chief aims. Besides a widow, two sons survive him, Fred E. Maston of Rochester, and C. H. Mason, Jr., of this place. The funeral services were held at his late residence on Thursday afternoon at 2 o'clock. The Rev. M. Luther Stimson officiated.

From Geneva Daily Times 24 March 1909

Naples, N. Y. -
The body of Charles L. Mason was brought to Naples yesterday morning from Pottersville, Warren county, where Mr. Mason died Saturday night from a self-administered dose of chloral. Mr. Mason was 33 years old, and was the foster son of Alonzo Cummings, a Civil war veteran, who died in Naples a year ago. When the state road from Naples to Woodville was being constructed five years ago, Mason was engaged by the manager, P. F. Herhiky, to work on it, and ever since that time he had been a trusted employee wherever the state Road Construction Company sent him. Apparently, everything was harmonious, and the cause of his desire to end his life cannot be determined. The deceased leaves a widow, who was formerly Miss Mary Whitman, of Naples, whom he married ten years ago, and four children. They were accompanied to Naples by friends from Glens Falls. One sister, Mrs. Edward Andrews, lives in South Bristol and a brother, Albert Mason, in Canandaigua with his mother. The funeral will be held from the home of Irving Whitman today.

From Geneva Daily Times 22 February 1908

Canandaigua, N. Y. -
At an early hour yesterday morning, at her home in the town of East Bloomfield, occurred the death of Mrs. E. F. Mason, aged 42 years. Death was due to pneumonia, of a brief duration. Survivors are her husband, and two children, a son and a daughter; four sisters and two brothers.

From Ontario County Journal 19 April 1918

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - 
Friends of Edward S. Mason were saddened to learn of his death which occurred on Friday. He was born in this town May 22, 1861. He had served the town as town clerk for 22 years, was Democratic supervisor for years, was appointed post master in 1915, and had until about two years ago conducted a barber shop. He was extremely fond of flowers and for many years the large south window in his shop was a thing of beauty, always filled with blooming plants. He is survived by the wife, Maude Perry Mason; a son, Frank, now in France; one daughter, Elizabeth; one sister, Mrs. Clara Goodhead of Spring Valley; and one brother, Sidney Mason, of this town.

From Ontario County Journal 2 February 1894

Shortsville, N. Y. -
The death of Mrs. Eliza Mason occurred at her home in this village on Wednesday, January 24, at the advanced age of seventy-four years. She was the wife of Milton Mason, whose death occurred about four years ago. She had been a resident of this village for a number of years, and was held in high esteem by those who were intimately acquainted with her. She had been in poor health for a long time, but the immediate cause of her death was an attack of peritonitis. She leaves one son and four daughters to mourn her loss. The funeral services were held on Friday from the family residence on Booth street, Rev. J. T. Crumrine, pastor of the Presbyterian church officiating. The interment was in the new cemetery.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 18 October 1923

East Bloomfield, N. Y., Oct. 17 - Mrs. Ella M. Mason,
died this afternoon at the home of her son, Carl Mason, following an illness of two years. Mrs. Mason was born at Bristol and most of her life was spent there. She came to East Bloomfield several years ago and opened a small store and bakery here. After the death of her husband, Alfred Mason, two years ago, Mrs. Mason turned the management of the store over to her son and daughter. Mrs. Mason is survived by one son, Carl Mason of East Bloomfield; three daughters, Mrs. Robert Burnham of Rochester,  Mrs. Howard Grimble of East Bloomfield, and Mrs. Herbert Gladding of Honeoye; and one sister, Mrs. Henry DeMorse of Charlotte. Funeral services will be held from the home of her son, Carl, at 2 o'clock on Friday afternoon, with Rev. D. J. Herrene, pastor ot the Congregational church, officiating. Burial will be made in East Bloomfield cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 1 August 1902

Eugene Mason,
25 years of age, a farmer residing three miles north of this city on the Pre-emption road, was run down and killed last night by the Central-Hudson passenger train that left this city for the west at 10:02 o'clock.  As near as can be learned, Mason was walking on the track at a point one mile north of Phelps when he was struck and instantly killed by the passenger train.  The body was carried a considerable distance and was badly mutilated.  The train was stopped and the body was placed in the baggage car and taken to Yells Brothers undertaking rooms at Phelps.  Coroner Archer of Clifton Springs was called and he is today investigating.  The deceased is survived by a wife and two small children.

From Ontario County Times 26 March 1884

Our readers will hear with sincere regret of the death of Francis Mason of Bristol. He died at his home in that town on the morning of the 24th inst. We have not been able to learn his precise age, but think it cannot have been far from eighty-five years. Mr. Mason was one of Bristol's most highly respected, as well as one of her oldest citizens. He represented his town in the Board of Supervisors from 1838 to 1841, and again from 1854 to 1857 inclusive, besides holding many other positions of responsibility and trust, to which he was called at different times during his life through the partiality of his fellow townsmen. His wife, who was a sister of Dr. E. W. Simmons of this place, died many years ago. He leaves one son and two daughters, the Hon. F. O. Mason of Geneva; and Mrs. W. Scott Hicks and Mrs. John Kent of Bristol. The funeral takes place today.

From Geneva Gazette 12 April 1867

Sudden Death -
The Rochester Union learns that on the 10th inst., Gardner Mason, Supervisor of Farmington, while engaged posting some official notices in his town, fell and expired instantly.  Deceased was a Quaker in religion, was wealthy and highly esteemed.  He was considered the first man of the town, and his death has caused great grief in the community. He was 70 years of age.

From Shortsville Enterprise 16 October 1913

The remains of Mrs. Grace Payton Mason, relict of Henry Mason, both former residents of Shortsville, were brought to this village on the 12:55 eastbound passenger train on Monday noon for interment beside those of her husband in Brookside Cemetery. The services at the grave were conducted by Rev. Donald H. MacKenzie, pastor of the First Presbyterian church. Mrs. Mason died at her home in Honeoye Falls on Saturday. She had been ill since the death of her husband last March. Mr. and Mrs. Mason resided in Shortsville for many years and he conducted a large general store in the Harlow block, now the Pratt block. About ten years ago they removed to Honeoye Falls.

From Geneva Daily Times 24 April 1905

Canandaigua, N. Y. -
The death of Mrs. Harriet M. Mason, aged eighty-seven years, occurred yesterday at the home of her son, Jesse Mason, on Dungan street. Mrs. Mason was the widow of the late J. Harvey Maston, and had been a resident of Canandaigua for almost her whole lifetime. She was a highly esteemed citizen and leaves many friends. Death was largely due to old age. She is survived by her son, Jesse Mason, and his family.

From Victor Herald 1 September 1899

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - Harriet V.,
wife of John Mason, died at Rochester, Friday evening, at the age of 61 years. Her remains were brought here Monday morning and the funeral services were held at her late home Tuesday afternoon, Rev. C. C. Johnson officiating. She leaves her husband, three sons, Harley and Frederick residing here, and M. C. Mason of Rochester; and two daughters, Mrs. Geo. S. Rowley and Charity Mason, residents here, who will greatly miss her. There was a very large attendance at the funeral, a testimony of the high esteem and regard of all who knew her.

From Naples Record 28 September 1883

Jesse Mason,
one of the oldest residents of Canandaigua, died at his home there on Sunday, September 23. Mr. Mason was in the 89th year of his age.

From Geneva Daily Times 20 December 1910

Shortsville, N. Y. - Israel G. Mason,
of this village, died at Dr. Behan's hospital, Canandaigua, yesterday afternoon about 4 o'clock from apoplexy, at the age of 66 years. He was born in England, coming to this country when about 5 years of age. He settled in Shortsville in 1883 and was for many years engaged in the blacksmith business, which he discontinued about five years ago on account of failing health. He is survived by his wife, Yuseba; one daughter, Mrs. Sidney Knause of Shortsville; one son, Clarence of Homestead, Pa.; three grandchildren, Benjamin, Lydia and Merwin Knause of Shortsville; three sisters, Mrs. Delacey of Ypsilanti, Mich., Mrs. Cain and Mrs. Murrill of East Bloomfield; five brothers, James Mason of Buffalo, William Mason of Canandaigua, and Samuel and Arthur Mason of East Bloomfield. Mr. Mason was a prominent member of Herendeen Post, G. A. R. The funeral, which will be held Thursday afternoon, will be in charge of the local G. A. R. Post.

From Geneva Gazette 16 March 1894

J. Harvey Mason, an old and prominent business man of Canandaigua, died in that village last Sunday of heart disease, following long sufferings from asthma.  For three years, in 1865, '6 and '7, he ably represented his town in the board of Supervisors.  He was also quite prominent in the Masonic fraternity being a Past Master of Canandaigua Lodge No. 294. His age was about 75 years.

From Ontario County Journal 28 September 1883

Mr. Jesse Mason died at his residence on Bristol street in this village on Sunday morning, Sept. 23d, at the age of 88 years. Mr. Mason had been a resident of Canandaigua for over fifty years, having come to this State from Swansea, Mass., and during his extended residence here had formed a large circle of friends and lived a very upright and exemplary life. Mr. Mason was an active business man in this village for many years, and had always been identified with every effort that tended to enhance the growth and prosperity of his chosen place of residence. He leaves a family of five sons and two daughters; J. Harvey of this village, Henry of East Bloomfield, and Seth, Frank and Morris of Buffalo -- and Mrs. Mary Short of Fall River, Mass., and Mrs. Julia Warner of this village. The funeral took place from the late residence of the deceased Tuesday afternoon.

From Ontario County Chronicle 13 February 1901

East Bloomfield, N. Y. -
Sunday, February 10, at his home, one mile west of this village, occurred the death of John Mason, aged 63 years. Mr. Mason had been in poor health for the past two years. In the winter of '98, one of his great toes began to trouble him and after a time the toe was removed but that did not check the disease and in June following the limb was amputated below the knee. All seemed well for a time then the other limb began to trouble him and finally the disease resulted in death. Mr. Mason was one of the most successful farmers in this section, beginning with a good constitution and plenty of pluck, he owned at his death two of the best farms in Bloomfield. He leaves five children: Fred M., Harley, Mrs. Cora Rowley and Mrs. Charity Rice of this place, and Dr. Marcenus Mason of Rochester, beside six brother and four sisters, William of Palmyra, Israel of Shortsville, James of Medina, Thomas of Honeoye Falls, Samuel and Arthur of this place; Mrs. Mary Gurnee of Binghamton, Mrs. Emily Kain of this place and Mrs. Elizabeth DeLacy of Boyne, Mich. "Jack", as he was familiarly known, was a good friend and neighbor and will be missed by the entire community.

From Ontario County Journal 11 September 1908

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - Mrs. Lena Showers Mason,
wife of Benjamin Mason, Jr., died at the home of her father, Charles Showers, on the evening of Sept. 3. The funeral was held from the home of Mr. Showers on Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock. Rev. L. M. Bristol officiated. The interment was in the East Bloomfield cemetery. Mrs. Mason is survived by her husband, Benjamin Mason; her parent, Mr. and Mrs. Showers; a daughter, aged six months; and three sisters.

From Shortsville Enterprise 13 June 1935

Manchester has lost one of its most highly-respected residents in the passing of Mrs. Mary Ellis Sheffield Mason, whose death occurred at her home in Main street at 9:00 o'clock last Thursday morning. She had been ill only a few days, following a stroke of paralysis. Her age was 88 years. Mrs. Mason was born at Brownsville in the town of Farmington, February 20, 1847, a daughter of the late Hiram and Maria Herendeen Sheffield. Her father was for many years proprietor of the Sheffield grist mill at Manchester. She was brought up in the Quaker faith and her education was obtained in the Quaker School for girls at Union Springs, now known as the Adventist school. She was married on February 17, 1869, to Walter G. Mason of Manchester. Before her marriage, she had taught school in Manchester and Farmington for many years, and some of her pupils living today are Dr. Belle Bronk, John R. Willson, Richmond P. Pratt and Mrs. Seldon F. Burlingham. Her entire life had been spent in Farmington, Macedon and Manchester. She was a member of Manchester Grange and of the Missionary Society of the Manchester Baptist church.

Mrs. Mason was a lady of most charming personality and possessed a legion of friends and acquaintances. She retained her faculties until the end and was able to do her household duties until her final illness. She had a keen recollection of past events of importance and could recount many interesting tales of the early life in this locality. Manchester, as well as Shortsville and the surrounding territory, feel keenly her passing, but will hallow the memory of a Christian life well spent. Funeral services were held from her late home at 2:00 o'clock on Sunday afternoon, conducted by the Rev. Paul Swarthout of Hamilton, this state. The large number of relatives and friends who attended, as well as the great profusion of floral tokens gave evidence of the high esteem in which the deceased was held. The remains were tenderly laid at rest in the family plot in South Farmington cemetery. The survivors are two daughters, Mrs. Leon L. Swarthout of Manchester and Mrs. C. Wilkins Pratt of Homer; one son, Clinton W. Mason of Manchester; a brother, Charles Sheffield of Newport, Ore.; seven grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.

From Ontario County Journal 2 February 1917

Samuel Mason,
a prominent citizen and life-long residence of East Bloomfield, died at Memorial hospital on Saturday. He had been in poor health for some time and on Friday submitted to a critical operation. Deceased was a son of William and Anne Mason and was born here 63 years ago. He is survived by his wife and by four daughters, Mrs. Marcus G. Doyle of Monroe; Miss Maude Mason of East Bloomfield; Frances of New York City, and Mabelle of Secoit; and by two sons, Harold and Claude, who are at home. He is also survived by three sisters, Mrs. P. D. Gurne and Mrs. William Cain, of East Bloomfield; and Mrs. Susan Murrell of Canandaigua; and by three brothers, James of Buffalo; Thomas of Canandaigua, and Arthur of Holcomb. The funeral was held from the family home on Tuesday afternoon, conducted by Rev. Ernest E. Davis, pastor of the Methodist church, and burial was made in the village cemetery.

From Victor Herald 14 February 1902

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - Mrs. Samuel Mason
died this morning of heart failure after an illness of several years. She was seventy-one years of age and is survived by her husband, one daughter, Mrs. Clara Goodheart of Spring Valley, N. Y., and two sons residing in this place.

From Ontario County Journal 14 January 1876

Victor, N. Y. -
Died on Monday, the 10th ult., Mr. Stephen Mason, in his 79th year.  The funeral was attended from the house of Mrs. Rachel Ball, for a time past the home of the deceased, on Tuesday.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 11 December 1939

Holcomb, N. Y. - Mrs. Thelma Hicks Mason,
31, died unexpectedly of a heart illness in her home, Main street, yesterday. She was the daughter of the late Charles and Ethel Cummings Hicks, East Bloomfield, and had been a lifelong resident of the town. She is survived by her husband, Dr. Leon A. Mason; and a son, Leon A., Jr.; two sisters, Mrs. William Wilkins, East Bloomfield, and Mrs. Lewis Hurlbut, Attica; three brothers, Elroy, Camille and Charles Hicks, all of East Bloomfield. Funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. tomorrow in a Main Street funeral home in East Bloomfield. Burial will be in East Bloomfield Cemetery. The Rev. W. Heber O'Hara, pastor of the Congregational church, will officiate.

From Geneva Daily Times 26 February 1908

Thomas Mason,
aged 57 years, died this afternoon at 12:30 o'clock at the home of his sister, Mrs. F. F. Joslyn, No. 125 LaFayette avenue. He was born April 6, 1851, in Cambridgeshire, England, and came to this country when he was 5 years old. He is survived by three brothers, Michael Mason of Oaks Corners, George Mason of Waterloo, Charles Mason of Alemens, Wisconsin, and one sister, Mrs. F. F. Joslyn of this city. Burial Glenwood Cemetery

From Shortsville Enterprise 28 February 1913

The remains of W. Henry Mason of Honeoye Falls were brought to the Parlor Village for burial on Monday afternoon and were laid to rest in Brookside Cemetery. Mr. Mason died in the above mentioned village on Saturday morning, following a brief illness with heart trouble. His age was 66 years. Mr. Mason will be remembered as a former resident and business man of the Parlor Village.

From Shortsville Enterprise 25 September 1913

Manchester is in mourning over the death of one of its best-known and most prominent citizens, Walter G. Mason, which occurred at his home in Main street in that village on Saturday evening about 5 o'clock. He had been ill for nearly two weeks and was aged 67 years. Walter G. Mason was born in the town of Farmington on February 5, 1846, and was a son of the late Gardner and Miranda Mason. He followed the pursuit of agriculture in Farmington until the year of 1883, at which time he removed to Manchester village. He took unto himself a wife, Miss Mary E. Sheffield of Manchester, on Feb. 17, 1869. During the year of 1885 he purchased the large flouring mill at Manchester and continued its active management until 1909. The deceased had always been connected with public affairs and was one of the persons to secure a charter for Manchester in 1892. He was chosen a member of its first Board of Trustees and served with the Board continuously until 1898. He was also deeply interested in the subject of education and was a trustee of Manchester Board of Education for several years. He acted as chairman of the building committee in 1892 that constructed the present High School building there. In politics he was a staunch Republican. Mr. Mason was noted for his kindness to persons in distress and was often called upon by those in need.

The survivors are his wife, Mrs. Mary E. Mason; one son, Clinton W. Mason; two daughters, Mrs. C. Wilkins Pratt and Miss Maude Mason; one granddaughter, Miss Kenneth Pratt, all residents of that village, and one brother, Samuel R. Mason, living at Palmyra. The funeral obsequies were held from his late home on Monday afternoon at 3 o'clock, the service being conducted by a relative, Rev. Joel Clark Glover, of Canisteo. The interment was made in the South Farmington cemetery.

From Ontario Republican Times 22 July 1863

Died at Camp Hamilton, near Fortress Monroe, Va., on Sunday evening last, July 19th, John Masseth of the Signal Corps, in Gen. Foster's command, U. S. A., and late of Canandaigua, aged 21 years. The subject of this notice was a brother of Joseph Masseth, proprietor of the Niagara House, in this village, and of George Masseth, who was in the Federal army at the first Bull Run disaster in 1861, and whose indomitable energy and noble and courageous conduct rescued his friend, Lieut. Fleming of Rochester, from the very door of death, where he found him by the way side, wounded, during the retreat after that disastrous engagement and bore him to a place of safety. John enlisted as a private in Capt. Griswold's company of the 148th Regt. of volunteers, in August last, which left Geneva early in September. Arrived at Norfolk, Va., the second lieut. of his company, Henry R. Murray, also of this village, was detached from service in the regiment and made Signal Officer, and was directed by the commanding General to select his own aids, and form a Signal Corps for service in front of the army. Young Masseth, Hiram D. Goodwin Jr. and Cornelius Palmer, all of this village, were chosen by Lieut. Murray; and their exploits between Suffolk, where they were soon stationed, and the Blackwater, the headquarters of the rebel army, have often been told in the telegraph dispatches from that section. The army evacuated Suffolk, a few weeks since, and were transferred to the towns near Fortress Monroe, where General Dix being in command of that department, made his recent Peninsula campaign to White House, Va., in which the Signal Corps performed almost Herculean labors during the two or three weeks of the expedition. Returning to Yorktown some ten or twelve days since, the deceased was attached with some disease which we have not yet been able to learn, and has passed away from his country, friends and companions in arms - the latter who loved him none the less, than a brother, for his qualities of heart, and kind and generous disposition, which always marked his intercourse and career. 

His brother Joseph, being telegraphed to on Saturday p.m. of his illness, started on the evening train to go to him, and early on Monday morning, before he had time to arrive there, another dispatch was received here, announcing his death as above stated.  It is supposed his remains will be brought on immediately and buried in this village, or perhaps in Rochester, where his mother resides.

From Ontario County Journal 4 August 1911

The death of Joseph T. Masseth occurred at his home on Main street north on Sunday, aged 75 years. Mr. Masseth had been in poor health for some months but his condition was not considered dangerous. He was born in Rochester and was one of the pioneer hotel men of this vicinity where he had always lived, except for two years when he resided in Philadelphia, Pa. About 30 years ago he built the Masseth House on Niagara street. Besides his wife, he leaves a son, Dr. Charles B. Masseth of Philadelphia; a daughter, Mrs. Melvin L. Spencer of Canandaigua; a brother, Edward Masseth; and a sister, Mrs. William Banmen of Rochester. The funeral services were held from St. Mary's church on Tuesday morning, Rev. John E. Masseth, a nephew of the deceased, officiating. Interment at Woodlawn.

From Ontario County Journal 16 February 1912

The sudden death of Mrs. Josephine Masseth, of Canandaigua, widow of Joseph Masseth, who died July 30, occurred at Utica, where she was visiting relatives, on Friday afternoon. Death was due to acute Bright's disease. Mrs. Masseth was born in Minden, Montgomery county, 56 years ago. There survives one daughter, Mrs. Melvin L. Spencer, of this village; one son, Dr. Charles B. Masseth of Philadelphia, Pa.; four brothers Charles H. Tessey of Leadville, Col.; Joseph and Aaron Tessey, of Utica, and George Tessey of Buffalo; and one sister, Mrs. Joseph Feasler of Chicago, Ill. Rev. Herbert L. Gaylord officiated at the funeral services held from the home of Mrs. Spencer on Sunday.

From Ontario County Journal 16 August 1912

Canadice, N. Y. - 
A terrible accident occurred on Thursday morning at the farm of Mr. Noble, on the west shore of Honeoye lake, in which Alonzo Mastin, of this town, lost his life. Mr. Mastin, who occupied Harry Coykendall's farm in this town, went to the Noble farm to thresh. Mr. Mastin, who was working in the mow, got down to work in another place and fell, striking on his back in such a manner that his back was broken and he was almost completely paralyzed. A council of doctors was held on Friday, but, owing to his weak condition, it was decided not to remove him to the hospital. He was taken to the home of his son, Oakley Mastin, at Honeoye, where his death occurred on Saturday. Mr. Mastin was 50 years of age, and is survived by his wife; one son, Oakley Mastin of Honeoye; the three daughters, Mrs. Ethel Richardson of Springwater, and the Misses Josephine Mastin of this place; his parents Mr. and Mrs. John Mastin; five brothers, William of Mumford, Wilson of Canaseraga, John, of Selma, Ind., Samuel of South Bristol, Lemon of this place; two sisters, Mrs. Cora Welch of Rochester and Mrs. Fannie Bailey of Arkport. The funeral was held on Monday from the home of his son, Rev. W. J. Brown, of Hemlock, officiating. The interment was at Honeoye. The sympathy of the community is extended to the bereaved family in their great affliction.

From Naples Record 4 May 1921

Canadice, N. Y. -  Mrs. Caroline Mastin,
wife of John Mastin, died at her home in this place on April 27, 1921. Her age was 83 years. Grandpa and Grandma Mastin, as they were familiarly called, have lived among us for over thirty years, and in that time have won the respect of all the community. Their wedded life extended over sixty years. She is survived by her husband, who is ninety-three years old; five sons, William of Peoria; John and Wilson of Canaseraga; Samuel of Batavia, and Lemon of this place; two daughters, Mrs. Fanny Bailey of Canandaigua, and Mrs. Cora Welch of Rochester; one son, Alonzo, died in this place a few years ago. Mr. Mastin also leaves a large number of grandchildren and great-grandchildren. The funeral was held from the home of her son, Lemon, April 29th, at 2 p.m., Rev. Guy Overshire officiating, and burial was made in Canadice cemetery.

Return to Ontario County Homepage

Copyright 2009-16, Ontario County NYGenWeb and each contributor and author of materials herein. All rights reserved.