"Loo" to "Loz" Obituaries

From Ontario County Journal 22 February 1901

James Loois,
a formerly resident of Canandaigua, died at the soldiers' home in Bath on Wednesday, aged 76 years. He is survived by three daughters, Mrs. Duncan Rhind of this town; Mrs. Ada L. Brundage and Miss Cora C. Loois of Rochester. His wife's death occurred on January 26.

From Geneva Daily Times 7 January 1910

Rushville, N. Y. - Allen Loomis,
who for several months has been in failing health, died at his home Wednesday evening of paralysis of the nerves. He was the son of Nathaniel Loomis and was born in 1839 in the town of Middlesex. Twice he was married. His first wife was Mrs. Helen Thomas, who died about two years after they were married. Thirty-five years ago in February, he was married to Mrs. Elizabeth Green, widow of Frank Green, to whom three children were born. One, Mrs. Morey Abbott, died a few years ago. He began keeping house on his farm at Pine Corners where he died. He was a member of the Methodist church of this village, having served nearly thirty-five years as trustee. He was a strong supporter of the Republican party and served at one time as supervisor of the Town of Middlesex and was one of the Presidential electors in the last campaign. He is survived by his wife and two daughter, Mrs. Fred Bennett and Miss Carrie Loomis; also by one sister, Mrs. David Densmore of Potter; and one brother, Minor Loomis, of this place. The funeral services will be held Saturday afternoon at 2 o'clock at the Methodist church, Rev. Harsey King, pastor, officiating. Burial in the village cemetery.

From Shortsville Enterprise 19 April 1912

The death of Benjamin Henry Loomis occurred shortly after 11 o'clock last week Thursday morning at his farm home in the town of Farmington. Mr. Loomis was the eldest son of the late Hannah Ketchum and George Loomis, well-known residents of Farmington, and was born in Syracuse on Jan. 2, 1847. He had spent 62 of his 65 years of life in the town of Farmington. He attended school at Farmington, and later went to Canandaigua Academy. About 1868 Mr. Loomis married Miss Alma Jenks, of Farmington. Fourteen years ago he moved to the Loomis homestead farm where he had since resided. He had always been engaged in agricultural pursuits and was a prosperous and successful farmer with large interests. He leaves his wife, two sons and five daughters, George and Charles, of Farmington; Edith, formerly of Albany; Mrs. Hannah E. Devine of Farmington; Mrs. Bernardine Alderman of Macedon; Mrs. Mildred Battin of Victor and Leona, residing at home; one sister, Mrs. Aurelia Morse of Farmington; and one brother, Leslie G. Loomis of Victor. The funeral was held at the home at 2 o'clock Saturday afternoon. Rev. Edwin P. Wood, of the Universalist church, Victor, officiated, and interment was made in South Farmington cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 26 May 1943

Calvin Halsey Loomis
died at his home at 31 Sherrill street this morning following a short illness. Mr. Loomis was the son of Calvin S. and Lydia A. Loomis and was born in the town of Alexander, his boyhood days being spent in Batavia. After teaching in the business college at Norristown, Pa., he entered the service of the Lehigh Valley railroad in the main office at Philadelphia. Later he was appointed as travelling auditor and made his home in Geneva. Surviving is his wife, Grace D. Loomis; three sons, Monroe E. Green of Waterloo, Clifford S. Loomis of Geneva, and Richard C. Loomis with U. S. Armed Forces in Hawaii; one sister, Myrta V. Redshaw of Batavia; and five grandchildren.

From Victor Herald 3 August 1895

George Loomis, a well-known and life-long resident of the town of Farmington, died at his home Tuesday evening. Mr. Loomis has been in poor health for nearly a year and his demise was not wholly unexpected. Mr. Loomis was born in Hartford, Ct., Dec. 7th, 1818; when a very small boy he came to Farmington, and by industry and perseverance he amassed a competence. He was always foremost in every work of public improvement, roads, schools, etc. He was Supervisor of the town of Farmington several terms and always took a lively interest in public affairs of the state and nation. He was a man of excellent business qualifications and sound judgment, and many a young man struggling in the battle of life has looked to him for advice and assistance, and never in vain. He was in every sense a self-made man. Beginning life with nothing, he obtained a good education and accumulated a fine farm property; his residence and surroundings are among the finest in this county.

About fifty years ago he married Hannah Maria Ketchum. Six children were born to them. Mrs. Loomis died about three years ago, there survive him two sons and two daughters, B. H. Loomis, Mrs. L. L. Morse, Mrs. G. E. Lapham, of Farmington, and L. G. Loomis, of this village. The funeral was held from his late home Friday afternoon, the services were conducted by Rev. C. N. Frost. The interment was at Boughton Hill cemetery.

From Victor Herald 3 September 1892

The funeral of Mrs. George Loomis, whose sudden death we briefly mentioned last week, was held at her late residence Sunday afternoon at three o'clock. Rev. Mr. Frost conducted the services, assisted by a quartette from the choir of the Presbyterian church. The burial was at the cemetery on Boughton Hill. The deceased was the youngest daughter of Benj. Ketcham and was born in Rensselaer Co., Jan. 4, 1823. She removed with her parents to Farmington while a child, and was married to George Loomis Oct. 19, 1842, and went to live in Onondaga Co. where she resided about nine years and returned to Farmington where she resided the rest of her life. She leaves a husband, two sons and two daughters, Mrs. L. L. Morse, Mrs. Geo. E. Lapham, B. H. Loomis, of Farmington, and L. G. Loomis of this village. Mrs. Loomis was a woman greatly beloved in the community, and will be missed in many places beside the home circle, where, for half a century she has been the loving help-meet and devoted mother. A large circle of friends will deeply sympathize with the bereaved family.

From Ontario County Journal 10 February 1899

Rushville, N. Y. -
This community was greatly shocked by the death of James Loomis on Wednesday morning. About a week previous he was taken with the grippe, and not using proper care, it was soon followed by pneumonia  in severe form from the first. Dr. Jewett was called on Monday in consultation with Dr. Wilkin, but little hope was given for his recovery. A trained nurse was summoned, and everything done for him, but he was too ill. He was a man about 50 years of age, strong and active, extensively engaged in farming and buying stock to ship. About 20 years ago he married Wealthy Jackson, who survives him. They had adopted a little boy, left by her sister, Mrs. Foster, who died a year ago. They also have an adopted daughter. His aged and blind mother is left, and lives in the house which was the old homestead. Mrs. Loomis has universal sympathy in her great affliction, which is doubly heavy in that her own health is very poor. Mr. Loomis was a very kind man in his family, and his death is a great loss to them. There are three brothers, Benjamin in Battle Creek, Mich., Allen and Miner; two sisters, Minerva, Mrs. Densmore of Potter, and Nettie, a twin sister.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 4 May 1933

Leslie C. Loomis
entered into rest at the home of his son, Leslie, Jr., Victor, N. Y., May 2. He is survived by his wife, Luella H.; 2 sons and one daughter, Leslie, Jr., Harry H. of Victor, and Mrs. Dorothy Coy of San Pedro, Cal.; seven grandchildren. Services from the home on West Main street, Saturday, at 2:30 p.m. Interment in Boughton Hill Cemetery.

From Geneva Gazette 18 January 1889

Lyman Loomis,
of Rushville, died Jan. 8, after many years suffering from rheumatism. He formerly kept the Mansion House, Geneva.

From Ontario County Journal 29 January 1904

Rushville, N. Y. - 
The death of Mrs. Maria Fitch Loomis, widow of the late Nathaniel Loomis, occurred at her home southwest of this village on Monday evening. Mrs. Loomis was 89 years of age and had been a great sufferer for the past six years. During the past three years she had been bed ridden. About 25 years ago she lost her sight, yet through all her afflictions she was a happy, uncomplaining Christian, and a visit to her was a source of strength and courage. She had always resided in the neighborhood where she died. She is survived by two sons, Allen and Minor Loomis; and one daughter, Mrs. Densmore of Potter. The funeral was held from the home on Wednesday afternoon and conducted by Rev. A. W. Rice, pastor of the Methodist church, of which she was a member.

From Ontario County Journal 18 March 1881

Rushville, N. Y. - Mrs. Melissa Loomis
died of typhoid pneumonia, March 11th , aged 34 years. Her sickness lasted about ten days, and her death falls very heavily upon her husband and little daughter, who have the sympathy of many friends. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. C. M. Bartledaren, on Sunday, at the residence of  her husband, Elbert Loomis.

From Ontario County Journal 11 September 1891

On Monday the remains of Mrs. Nancy Loomis, widow of the late James Loomis, formerly of this village, were brought here from Geneseo for interment. The funeral services were held from the residence of James Rockwell Wednesday. The deceased was 91 years and 5 months old.

From Geneva Gazette 10 August 1900

Near Geneva, August 6th, Mrs. Rebecca, widow of the late Stephen T. Loomis, aged 76 years, leaving one son.  She was a woman of the most lovely character it has ever been our privilege to meet.  She was unselfish to a fault.  Her life has been one of the most beautiful examples of devotion to all who were near and dear to her, and to all who were in sorrow and trouble.  The influence of such a life must long be felt.  The late Judge Mason, whose death so recently occurred and who was a very warm friend of Mrs. Loomis, once said (it seems but yesterday) "there is not one in a thousand like her - a person of rare intelligence, always bright and of wonderful memory."  He spent many pleasant hours with her.

From Ontario County Journal 16 May 1913

Rushville, N. Y. - 
The death of Mrs. Sarah Loomis occurred Monday evening at her home in this village. She was one of the three children born to Lawrence and Lurana Decker Borden of Springwater. Her girlhood days were spent in Gorham and Geneva but the greater part of her life, since her marriage to Lyman Loomis, at Geneva in 1851, had been spent here. Mr. Loomis, who died in 1889, at one time drove the stage from Geneva to Cohocton, making the trip one day and returning the next. He also conducted a hotel in this village for a number of years. On Nov. 23, 1912, Mrs. Loomis celebrated her eightieth birthday by entertaining a party of fourteen ladies, all with the exception of her sister, being over 70 years of age, and eight of them being over 80. Of this remarkable group of 15, hers is the first death to occur. She is survived by her daughter, Mrs. Frank Headley, with whom she lived; one sister, Mrs. Samuel Torrey of Geneva; and five grandchildren. The funeral services were held from the residence yesterday.

From Geneva Daily Times 9 May 1912

Mrs. Mary Anne Looney,
widow of the late Patrick Looney, died this morning at 8:50 o'clock at the home of her son, Edward Looney, No. 235 Castle street, following an illness of several months. She leaves one son, Edward, and one daughter, Mrs. Mary Anne Gray, both of this city; two sisters, Mrs. Eliza Murphy of Geneva and Mrs. Margaret Maloy of New York. She had been a resident of Geneva for 44 years. Burial St. Patrick's Cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 15 March 1895

Tuesday morning, at his home on Gibson street, occurred the death of John J. Loonie, in his 61st year. Mr. Loonie had been in feeble health for many years past, and the severe weather had sapped his vitality and hastened the end. Captain Loonie, by which name he was often mentioned, was a native of Dublin, Ireland, coming to this country when a boy of 8 years. In New York city he learned the marble cutter's trade, and developed considerable skill as a sculptor and artist. In 1863 Mr. Loonie enlisted as a private in Company K, 20th N. Y. Cavalry, of which company he was prominent as an organizer, and soon rose from private to second and first lieutenants and captain. He served until the mustering out of the company, July 31, 1865. Shortly after the close of the war, Mr. Loonie came to this village and pursued his chosen vocation, establishing the Canandaigua Marble Works. Aside from being an expert marble cutter, he was an artistic designer, the soldiers' memorial tablets in the court house in this village, being an evidence of his skill. Mr. Loonie's work was much sought in surrounding towns and counties, as well as in his own town. In Woodlawn cemetery, New York, Mr. Loonie erected considerable work, and it was on one occasion, while thus engaged, that he was taken ill and lay at death's door for several days.

Mr. Loonie has been a member of the Congregational church for over a quarter of a century. The funeral services were conducted at his late home Thursday  morning, by Rev. Charles H. Dickinson. A few years after his removal to this village, Mr. Loonie married Sophia Lyon of Naples, who survives him.

From Geneva Daily Times 4 March 1904

Phelps, N. Y. - Mrs. Catherine Lord,
widow of the late Ichabod Lord, died suddenly Wednesday evening at her home on West Main street. Mrs. Lord was taken ill Sunday with gastritis but was not confined to her bed until a few hours before her death. She was 74 years of age and is survived by one brother, N. A. Reed of this village. The funeral was held from the house this afternoon at four o'clock, the Rev. E. L. Waldorf officiating. Saturday the remains will be taken to Newark for burial.

From Geneva Daily Times 14 January 1909

Mrs. Emeline A. Lord,
widow of the late John Lord, died yesterday afternoon at Willard. She was 84 years old. She is survived by her daughter-in-law, Mrs. E. Lord of Syracuse, and five grandchildren, Mrs. Rene P. Van Tassel of this city, Mrs. W. H. Cooper, Mrs. Edward Gordon and Miss Edith Lord of Syracuse, and Mrs. Kavanaugh of New York. The remains were brought to this city this afternoon and a brief prayer service was held at Kennedy's undertaking rooms. Interment was in Glenwood Cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 28 September 1903

The double funeral of Jackson Van Tassel and Frank E. Lord, who were killed by the Central-Hudson train Saturday morning, took place at 2 o'clock this afternoon from the late home of Mr. Van Tassel, No. 63 North Genesee street. Rev. J. H. Hubbs and Rev. C. E. Jewell together officiated at the funeral. The bearers for Mr. Van Tassel were George E. Stubbs, Adam Emig, Charles K. Benjamin, John H. Beard, George A. Peel, Elon C. Goseline. The bearers for Lord, all members of the Baraca Bible class of First Methodist church, were as follows:  Walter W. Van Gieson, Lewis Van Gieson, Henry B. Platman, William E. Beeney, William H. House and Allen P. Olmstead. The burial followed in the same lot, in Glenwood cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 18 October 1901

Manchester, N. Y. -  George Lord
died at his home on State street on Monday, aged 28 years. His death was caused by typhoid fever. He is survived by a wife and two children. Funeral services were held at the home yesterday morning. The remains were taken to Towanda, Pa., for burial.

From Geneva Gazette 11 December 1891

Phelps - Ichabod Lord,
a prominent resident of this village, died very suddenly last Friday evening about six o'clock.  Mr. Lord has not been very robust for some time, and on Friday drove to Geneva to see a physician, and after his return home put up his horse and had supper, when he laid his head on the table and breathed his last.  Mr. Lord leaves one brother, Levi Lord of Phelps, his wife and two sons -- Frank Lord of Phelps and Adelbert of Kalamazoo, Mich.  The funeral was held from his late residence, 61 West Main st., at ten o'clock Monday morning, Rev. Mr. Hughston officiating.  His age was 69 years.  The remains were taken to Newark for burial.  In politics, Mr. Lord was a stalwart Republican.

From Victor Herald 1 December 1905

James H. Lord
died at his home in Fishers on Tuesday of this week, aged seventy-three years. He succumbed to the infirmities of old age. Mr. Lord was born in England but had been a resident of this town for sixty-four years. He leaves three sons, Edward of Geneva, Allegany county, and Clinton and Hiram of Fishers. Burial was had at Pittsford.

From Canandaigua Journal 18 February 1910

Naples, N. Y. - John Lord,
a resident of Naples for sixteen years past, died Feb. 10 at the home of his sister, Mrs. Guernsey, in Wallace, where, in his illness, he had gone for care. His wife died some years ago and his home was broken up. The burial was in Rose Ridge cemetery on Sunday. One son, Irwin, and another sister, Mrs. Fogal of Cohocton, survive him.

From Ontario County Chronicle 12 April 1905

Naples, N. Y. -
On Friday last occurred the sudden death of Mrs. John Lord of this village, at the home of Henry Hubbard of Prattsburg. Her death is attributed to heart failure. Deceased is survived by her husband and one son, Erwin, of this village, and by one brother, James Pierce of Atlanta.

From Geneva Daily Times 6 November 1906

Phelps, N. Y. - The death of Levy B. Lord, a highly-honored and respected farmer of the Town of Phelps, occurred at the Lord homestead, south of Phelps, yesterday. His death was due to advanced age. Mr. Lord was born and always lived here, occupying the same home during the entire period of his long life. He was eighty-six years of age and leaves a widow, who is the only surviving relative.

From Ontario County Chronicle 10 September 1902

North Bloomfield, N. Y. - Amos Lotee,
a well-known and lifelong resident of Ontario county, died suddenly at his home in North Bloomfield Saturday morning. Mr. Lottee was at work Friday as usual, and at night ate a hearty supper and retired early, feeling as well as usual but Saturday morning when his wife tried to arouse him, she discovered that he was dead. Mr. Lotee was 67 years old, having been born in the town of West Bloomfield in 1835, where he lived until about 1865, when he went to North Bloomfield and purchased a custom mill, which he ran for thirty-five years, disposing of his mill about two years ago. Deceased was a member of the Baptist Church of Lima since its organization many years ago, and though living several miles distant, was a faithful attendant. He was also a member of the A. O. U. W. In 1865 he was married to Miss Anna E. Booth, of Livonia. Seven children were the fruit of this union, and his death makes the first break in the family circle. His wife, one son, Herbert and six daughters, Lizzie Lotee, Mrs. E. B. Kellogg of Honeoye Falls, Imogene, Louise, Frances and Bessie, survive him. The funeral will be held from his late home at 2:30 this afternoon, Rev. Mr. Palmer, pastor of the Baptist Church of Lima, officiating.

From Ontario County Journal 8 December 1916

Gorham, N. Y. - 
The remains of Cornelius Louden, whose death took place at his home in Phelps, last week, were brought to Gorham for interment on Saturday, the funeral having been held at Phelps. Mr. Louden was a former resident of Gorham, having been the local miller for several years, and later conducted a jewelry business. He removed to Phelps 16 years ago, and carried on the jewelry business, and for the past six years was clerk of the town. The deceased had been in failing health the past four months. Mr. Louden was born in Westchester County, Jan. 15, 1844. His boyhood was spent in New York City, afterward going to Pennsylvania, where he engaged in the milling business, and united in marriage with Miss Fannie Forest, whose death took place three years ago. He is survived by one daughter, Miss Ida Louden of Phelps; two sons, C. T. Louden of Syracuse and L. T. Louden of Rochester; one brother William Louden of Newburgh; and a sister, Mrs. George Shoemaker, who resides in Connecticut.

From Clifton Springs Press 20 November 1924

John Loughlin,
a lifelong resident of the town of Hopewell, died at his home near Orleans, Sunday morning. He is survived by his wife, Katherine McLean Loughlin; two daughters, Margaret and Marie; one son, Frank; two sisters, Mrs. James O'Connor of Clifton Springs and Mrs. James McCarrick of Seneca Castle. Funeral services were held from his late home at 9 o'clock, Rev. James O'Brien officiating. Interment was made in St. Agnes cemetery.

From Shortsville Enterprise 22 September 1943

Mrs. Walter Clark of Main street mourns the death of her estimable sister, Mrs. Katherine Loughlin, 72, of Hopewell, widow of John Loughlin, which occurred on Friday morning in the residence of her daughter, Mrs. Francis L. McKay, Canandaigua, where she had made her home for the past three years. The survivors are two daughters, one son, one sister, one brother and three grandchildren. Funeral services were held from the home in the Orleans road on Monday at 9 o'clock and at 9:30 from St. Felix Church, Clifton Spa., conducted by the pastor, the Rev. James M. O'Brien. The remains were laid at rest in St. Agnes Cemetery, Clifton Spa.

From Ontario County Journal 31 May 1907

Honeoye, N. Y. - 
On Friday night between 10 and 11 o'clock, residents of Main and Church streets were startled by the cry of fire. Upon investigation, flames were seen bursting from the Loury house on Church street. Arriving on the scene of action, they were horrified to find Mrs. James Loury rolling on the ground, her clothing a seething mass of flames, and her grandson, Fred Stacey, and a neighbor, Frank Allen, tearing the blazing garments from her body and burning their own hands in a frightful manner in the attempt. Just how the accident happened will doubtless never be known. She had been caring for her husband, who has been confined to his bed for some months and was leaving the room with a small lamp in her hand, when she either dropped the lamp or it exploded, spilling the burning oil over her clothing and the carpet. Her screams awakened her two grandsons, who were sleeping in another part of the house and who, with other willing hands extinguished the flames, which had gained considerable headway in the house. Medical aid was summoned and everything possible was done to relieve her suffering. She lingered in a semi-conscious condition until 9 o'clock Saturday morning, when death came to her relief. Her body was so frightfully burned that the undertaker was obliged to place it immediately in the casket as the flesh dropped from the bones upon moving. The family have been sorely afflicted. The husband, James Loury, has been confined to his bed for months and is now hovering between life and death. For the past four weeks a sister of the deceased, who resided with her, has also been ill and confined to her bed.

The deceased was born in the town of Canadice about 65 years ago, the daughter of John C. Spencer. She lived in that town until about 20 years ago, when she came to this village, where she has since resided. She was twice married. Survivors are her invalid husband, one son and two grandsons; besides several brothers and sisters. The funeral was held from her late home on Monday afternoon, Rev. Dr. Arthur C. Dill officiating. The interment was in Lakeview.

From Geneva Daily Times 4 November 1905

James W. Love, a retired nurseryman residing at No. 165 Washington street, died at 1 o'clock this morning after a brief illness of a week. The deceased was in his seventy-second year. He was born in Scotland and came to this country and city about fifty years ago. Until his retirement three years ago he has been actively engaged in the nursery business of the city. He was a member of Kanadesaga Council, No. 413 Royal Arcanum, and a communicant of Trinity church. He is survived by his widow and one daughter, Miss Minnie S. Love. Burial in Glenwood Cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 27 May 1905

Canandaigua, N. Y. -
Thursday, at the house of his son-in-law, on Main street, occurred the death of John Love, formerly of East Bloomfield. He was aged about seventy-six years. Ailments due to advancing years caused his death. He came to this country from Scotland about twenty years ago. Survivors are three daughters, Mrs. Bartholf, Mrs. John McAllister and Miss Esther Love, two sons, John and James Love, a sister, Mary Ann Love of Stanley, and a brother, James Love of Geneva.

From Victor Herald 2 June 1899

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - Tuesday afternoon the remains of Mrs. John Love of Canandaigua, but a former resident here, were buried in the village cemetery. She died last Sunday after a long illness.

From Victor Herald 10 May 1901
Last evening the body of William Love, who mysteriously disappeared from his home in Canandaigua, April 15th, was found in the flooded flats near the mouth of the Sucker brook by some fisherman, who immediately notified Coroner O. J. Hallenbeck. The body was removed to the Z. C. Curtice undertaking establishment where it was identified later by relatives and friends. The remains were badly decomposed, the features bloated and lacerated so that the boots and wearing apparel were the only means of identification. The authorities are at a loss to account for the disfiguration of the of the face, unless it was accidentally done by some of the numerous fishermen who are spearing suckers in the brook every night. Deceased was aged about 30 years, and is survived by an aged father, two brothers and two sisters. Love was last seen about 11 o'clock on the night of April 15th, by Officer Mulligan. It is stated that to a friend, whom Love urged to drink with him on that last night, he said, "You'd better drink with me now, you'll never get another chance. I'm on my way to the lake to drown myself." The case will be thoroughly investigated by Coroner Hallenbeck and an effort made to account for the marks of violence on the man's face and hands. A significant fact is that Love's hands were gripped tightly about some bunches of grass, indicating that he had made a struggle for his life.

From Shortsville Enterprise 21 March 1935

From Victor Herald - Mrs. Catherine Lovejoy passed from this life March 11, 1935, at the home of her son, Harley M. Lovejoy. Mrs. Lovejoy was born in Hudson June 27, 1854, of pioneer stock that helped to settle the region of the Catskills. She came to Western New York as an infant, when her parents, Phillip and Lucy Blass Mink, made the trip on the Erie Canal from their home in Hudson to a new home in Farmington township. Mrs. Lovejoy was twice married. Her first husband, Hinman E. Smith, passed away in 1887 at their home in Rochester leaving his widow and two children, a son, Oscar F. Smith, who died in 1909, and a daughter, Mrs. George H. Gunnison, now of Canandaigua. In 1892, Mrs. Smith married Edward E. Lovejoy of Victor, who died in 1908. Two sons born to them, Charley E. Lovejoy and Harley M. Lovejoy, both of Victor, survive. Mrs. Lovejoy also leaves nine grandchildren; Mrs. T. H. Townsend of Waterville, Mrs. William Millard of Canandaigua, George S. Gunnison of Syracuse, Edward, Adeline, Jean, Janette, Harley M. and Lowell Lovejoy of Victor, and nine great-grandchildren, living in Waterville and Canandaigua.

For 57 years, Mrs. Lovejoy had been a member of the Methodist church, and for many years she took part in all its activities. She was a charter member of Unity Club, and gave support to every worthy cause brought to her attention, until failing health several years ago forced her to retire from interests outside the home. The funeral was held March 13 at 2:30 p.m. from the home of her son, Harley M. Lovejoy.

From Victor Herald 4 April 1891

Mrs. Charlotte A. Lovejoy,
wife of E. E. Lovejoy died at her home on East Main St. early Thursday morning. She was taken ill last Friday and rapidly grew worse. The disease developing into acute peritonitis with the above result. She was greatly beloved in this community. Her husband has the heartfelt sympathy of the entire community. The funeral will be held at the house Monday at 2 p.m.

From Victor Herald 11 April 1891

Mrs. Charlotte A. Lovejoy,
who died March 26, and whose death we briefly mentioned last week, was born in New Jersey, August 2, 1834. Her parents were George and Elizabeth Gurnee. Her mother died when she was about two years of age. Her father married a second time, and when she was four years old, she was brought to Newark, this State, and from that time until she was married, she lived with her grandmother, Mrs. Phillip Decker. By Mr. Gurnee's first marriage, he had five children, of which two of her brothers are still living, Jonas Gurnee of Lyons and Philip of Binghamton, this State. She was married to Edward Lovejoy, March 12, 1856. They commenced keeping house in this village where they have lived happily for 35 years. She leaves a large circle of relatives and friends who sincerely mourn her loss. She united with the Presbyterian church in the year 1872, Rev. Henry T. Miller, pastor, and up to the time of her death, was a willing worker, doing all she felt it her duty to do, cheerfully and well. She was a woman of sound sense and excellent judgment. Her death is a loss to the community, and we can safely say that the relatives will not grieve alone.

From Ontario County Journal 11 March 1910

John D. Lovejoy
of Victor, aged 75 years, died on Saturday. His wife, a son, George L. Lovejoy of Hollywood, Cal., and a daughter, Mrs. William d. Frost, survive.

From Ontario County Journal 11 February 1876

Died -
On Friday morning, the 4th of February, in her 82nd year, Mrs. Martin Lovejoy.  Mrs. Lovejoy has been unwell a number of years, but never has been known to murmur or complain a word.  She had her senses until a few hours before her death.  When her husband asked her if she would ever recover, she answered, "Yes, I think I shall."  She has been a member of the Christian Church from childhood.  She leaves a kind husband and several children to mourn her loss.  The funeral was held on Sunday afternoon at the Presbyterian Church in this place.

From Geneva Daily Times 22 September 1897

Mrs. N. M. Lovejoy died of heart failure at 2:15 o'clock this morning at her residence in Phelps. Mrs. Lovejoy had resided in that village many years and was loved and respected by all who knew her. The deceased is survived by three sons, James, of this city; Charles, of Jamestown, and R. A. Truax, of Phelps.

From Ontario County Journal 3 February 1911

Naples, N. Y. -
The death of Mrs. Nettie Early Lovejoy, wife of I. J. Lovejoy, occurred on Wednesday, Jan. 25, at the home of Henry Hatch in South Bristol, where she was staying temporarily. She was ill but a few days with pneumonia . Mrs. Lovejoy was born in Prattsburg 62 years ago. Most of her life was spent in Berton, but the last few years she and her husband have live at Atlantic City, returning to section to be near their son, John, who lives in Rochester. The funeral was held at the Baptist Church on Friday, the pastor, Rev. S. T. Harding officiating. Interment was in Rose Ridge cemetery.

From Geneva Gazette 3 March 1899

Asel Loveland,
one of the oldest residents of Victor, died Friday evening last, aged 88 years.  Mr. Loveland went to Victor from Eastern New York when about 20 years of age, and had ever since resided there.  He had followed farming nearly all his life, and was a highly respected townsman.  He was a member of Milnor Lodge, F. & A. M., and was regarded as one of the oldest Masons in the State.  One daughter, Mrs. Julia Embry, with whom he lived and three grandchildren survive.  Vic. Cor. Can. Times

From Ontario County Journal 25 April 1919

Naples, N. Y. - 
Monday afternoon, about one o'clock, Joseph H. Loveland passed away at his home on Trafalgar Square, after several months' illness. He was born in Springwater, Dec. 27, 1847, but had spent most of his life in Naples. On April 3, 1889, he married Miss Minnie Flynn of Prattsburgh, and to them were born two children, Lena Louise, who was the wife of Stanley Kieth and who died less than three months ago, and Leon Loveland, of this village, who survives. Besides his wife and son, he leaves a small grandson and a brother, Loren Loveland. Mr. Loveland was for many years a member of the Methodist church and one of the trustees. For several years he was sexton also. He was held in high esteem by his many friends. Funeral services were held on Thursday, Rev. C. W. Hayes officiating.

From Victor Herald 28 March 1891

Vincent C. Loveland
died yesterday forenoon at 11 o'clock and the funeral will be held at his late residence tomorrow afternoon at 2 o'clock. The interment will be in Boughton Hill Cemetery.

From Shortsville Enterprise 21 February 1913

The death of Mrs. Elizabeth Lowe of Manchester occurred at her home in that village at 7:45 o'clock Wednesday morning, aged 76 years. She had just gotten out of bed and started to dress when she dropped dead. Her demise was occasioned by chronic heart trouble. Mrs. Lowe was born in England on September 2, 1836, and was married in that country to Henry Lowe, They came together to the United States 55 years ago and settled in the township of Manchester, where she had resided since. Mr. Lowe died about five years ago. Four children came to bless their union, but only two survive, Mrs. Robert Houston and Mrs. William Jones, both of Manchester. Other survivors are one brother, William Houghton, and two sisters, Mrs. Richard Warner and Miss Alice Houghton, all of England; also four grandchildren and one great-grandchild, all  living in Manchester. The funeral will be held from the Jones home in Manchester on Saturday afternoon at two o'clock and will be conducted by Rev. William W. Lane, pastor of the Manchester M. E. Church, of which Mrs. Lowe had been a most faithful member for the last 45 years. The interment will be made in Brookside Cemetery in this place.

From Ontario County Journal 24 February 1908

Manchester, N. Y. - Henry Lowe,
one of the old residents of this village, died at his home on State street, after a long illness, on Friday night, aged 73 years. He was born in England, coming to America over 50 years ago, being a resident of this village since his arrival in this country. He is survived by a wife and two daughters, Mrs. Robert D. Houston and Mrs. William Jones, both of this village.

From Ontario County Journal 6 January 1882

Mr. John Lowe,
of Honeoye, died quite suddenly on Tuesday afternoon of last week. Last summer he suffered a stroke of paralysis, and a second attack of the same is said to have been the cause of his death. Mr. Lowe was highly respected and esteemed. For a number of years past he has held the office of postmaster at Honeoye.

The Shortsville Enterprise, November 9, 1889, Vol. 7, No. 44, page 2.

John Lowe died quite suddenly at his home on Salt street last week Friday a.m., aged 33 years. He had been a great sufferer from consumption and other diseases for a number of years, but was about the house and walked from one room to another but a few moments before his death. He fully realized his condition, and it is a comfort for his friends to feel that, though his departure was sudden, he was willing and prepared for the summons. Besides a widow he leaves a father, mother and three sisters, all residents of this town. Funeral services were held at the Methodist church Sunday afternoon, where a large audience gathered to show their sympathy for the family, and Rev. D. D. Davis made appropriate remarks. The interment was in the new cemetery. Mrs. Lowe desires to express her thanks to the many kind friends who assisted at the funeral of her late husband, and especially to all those who contributed and arranged the beautiful flowers.

Thanks to Martha McGill for this donation.

From Geneva Daily Times 3 June 1907

R. M. Lowe, aged 66 years, died yesterday morning at 9:40 o'clock at the home of his sister, Mrs. Watson E. Stubbs, of No. 40 Lafayette avenue. He was born in Oaks Corners and has resided there his entire life until April 9th of this year, when he came to the home of his sister in this city. Mrs. Stubbs is the only survivor. The funeral will be held tomorrow afternoon at 2 o'clock from the house. Rev. W. W. Weller, pastor of the First Presbyterian church will officiate and interment will be in Glenwood Cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 18 March 1898

Honeoye, N. Y. - Mrs. Sarah Jane Lowe
died on Friday morning, March 11, aged 67 years. The funeral was held from her late home on Sunday at 2 p.m., with burial in Lake View. Mrs. Lowe was the widow of John Lowe, whom she survived by sixteen years.

From Ontario County Journal 14 March 1890

Silas Lowe,
aged 76, a prosperous farmer living near Oaks Corners, dropped dead Saturday forenoon of heart trouble. He had been complaining of rheumatism for some time which affected him in different parts of his body and it undoubtedly went to his heart.

From Ontario County Chronicle 14 October 1903

Bristol Springs, N. Y. - Jacob Lown,
an aged resident of this place, died Saturday. Mr. Lown was about 90 years of age and leaves to mourn one son, Ward of this place; two daughters, Mrs. Fred Barrett, also of this place, and Mrs. Martin Hope of Avoca. Interment in Coye cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 31 May 1907

Bristol Springs, N. Y. -
The death of Mrs. Susan Lown, widow of the late Jacob Lown, occurred on Friday, May 24, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Fred Barrett, after an illness of several weeks. Mrs. Lown had been almost a lifelong resident of this place and was known by all as a woman of unusual energy and ambition. She is survived by one son, Ward; and two daughters, Mrs. Martin Hope, of Macedon, and Mrs. Fred Barrett, with whom she lived and from whom she received the tenderest care during her last sickness. Funeral services were conducted by Rev. C. E. Rose at the church on Sunday, with burial in the Coye cemetery.

From Geneva Gazette 8 June 1900

Miss Janet Lowthorp
died at her residence, 477 Main st., last Tuesday - the last of her family.  She was born in this city, a daughter of Thomas Lowthorp.  She received thorough education as a pianist and organist and for many years presided at the Trinity Church organ, and later at such instrument in St. Peter's Church.  She had one brother, the late Samuel Lowthorp, and two sisters, Mrs. Elizabeth Angell and Mrs. Edward Kingsland.  The funeral will take place from Trinity Church tomorrow afternoon at 5 o'clock.

From Geneva Courier 1 July 1874

Mrs. Lowthorp, wife of Samuel Lowthrop, Esq., of this village, died suddenly on Sunday afternoon at her residence on Main street.  She had for several years been in poor health and consequently had not mingled extensively in society, but by the circle of friends and acquaintances who knew her, she was greatly beloved.  She was a quiet, unobtrusive, gentle woman, and was highly respected and esteemed by those who knew her.  Though in ill health no immediate fatal termination of her sufferings were anticipated, and her death was at last sudden and unexpected.  She is sincerely mourned by all who knew her rare and christian qualities.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 26 September 1891

Samuel Lowthrop,
who had been in the employ of J. W. Smith & Co., as bookkeeper for over thirty years, died at his residence in Geneva Wednesday, after a lingering illness. Mr. Lowthrop was one of Geneva's oldest citizens. In early years he was engaged in mercantile business there.

From Geneva Gazette 10 August 1860

Died in Geneva, the 2d of August inst., Mr. Thomas Lowthrop, in the 78th year of his age. Mr. Lowthrop was born in London, and came to the U. States when a boy. He was brought up to the mercantile business in first class houses in Albany and New York, and removed from the latter city to Geneva October, 1810, under the auspices of Mr. Ellas Kane, with a large stock of goods, and opened a store in company with his brother-in-law, the late Col. Wm. Lily, in the spacious building in Main street then just vacated by Judge Nicholas. During the war of 1812, and at its close in 1815, this was, next to that of Col. S. Colt's, the most flourishing business establishment in or near the village. The change consequent upon the transition from war to peace affected the mercantile business of the whole country by depreciation in prices and almost all engaged in such pursuits became embarrassed. Mr. L. was in this unfortunate class, and never able to reestablish himself permanently. Shortly after, he was afflicted by the loss of sight, first of one eye, and then of the other. In this sad condition he struggled on, cheerful amidst adversity, Providence having raised him up kind friends to sustain him. In early life he had improved his time and opportunities by storing his mind with a large stock of useful knowledge, derived from the choicest English literature, and by observation on men and things. This proved a source of great comfort to him at a subsequent period, when deprived of sight, rendering his conversation which was generally interspersed with aucedate, both interesting and instructive.

During the last two years his health has gradually failed, and with it his hearing, until he became nearly deaf; which consequently added to his sorrows. These were somewhat mitigated by the assiduous attentions of a tender wife with whom he had lived in the conjugal state 54 years, and by affectionate children and other friends, who survive to mourn their loss. Mr. Lowthrop was a member of the Episcopal church and gave satisfactory evidence of his reliance for salvation on God, through faith in the merits of a crucified and risen Redeemer.

From Geneva Gazette 20 July 1894

His many warm friends and acquaintances, especially his loving brethren of the I. O. O. F. were deeply shocked and grieved to learn on Wednesday last that Charles Lozier had succumbed to the disease which prostrated him about ten days previously. At first it was supposed to be merely a case of severe cold, but instead of yielding to treatment it developed into pleuro-pneumonia. It was even thought in the morning that he had overcome this last phase of the disease and was on the road to recovery. Later in the day he seemed to be adversely affected by the extreme heat, under which he steadily sank until at 6:30 o'clock, he breathed his last. Thoughout his illness he had the assiduous and brotherly care of the fraternity to which he was strongly attached and of whose honors in the subordinate lodge he had received the highest. He closed his term as N. G. June 30th last, and was of course the sitting Past Grand when death severed these as well as all earthly ties.

The deceased was a son of the late Thos. Lozier, a former resident of Geneva. Mrs. Winnifred Parker is a sister. He leaves a wife and two children. He was a blacksmith by trade, but of late was in the employ of John Kaufman of Trumansburg, as a traveling agent for the sale of cigars. The funeral will take place tomorrow at 2 p.m. from the house, No. 40 John St. The entire service will be conducted by the Odd Fellows in accordance with their ritual, and the members of Old Castle Lodge will attend in a body. Interment in Glenwood cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 18 March 1910

Cheshire, N. Y. -
The funeral of Mrs. Mary Lozier, who died on Saturday, was held from the home of her granddaughter, Mrs. H. Fay Nethaway, on Tuesday morning and was conducted by Rev. J. S. Ebersole. The deceased was born in Lodi, Seneca County, 75 years ago, the oldest of four children, two of whom survive. She had been a member of the Baptist church of Geneva for the past 40 years. Since the death of her husband, Lieutenant Lozier, she had spent a great deal of her time with her granddaughter, Mrs. Nethaway, where she had been most tenderly cared for. The remains were taken to Dundee and laid by the side of a son, who passed away several years ago.

From Geneva Daily Times 18 January 1911

William T. Lozier,
aged 26 years, died this morning at 6:30 o'clock at his home on North Main street. He is survived by his widow and two children; his mother, Mrs. James Deninger of Fayetteville, N. Y.; and one brother, Benjamin Lozier, of this city.

Return to Ontario County Homepage

Copyright © 2005-15, Ontario County NYGenWeb and each contributor and author of materials herein. All rights reserved.