"Ki" to "Kin" Obituaries

From Geneva Daily Times 14 August 1895

The funeral of Mrs. N. B. Kidder will be held at the Washington street cemetery on Friday, August 16, after the arrival of the 8 o'clock train from the east. The foregoing notice was posted in the post office. The name of Kidder will take old residents back in memory to an exciting period in the history of Geneva, some forty years ago. N. B. Kidder was president of the Kidder bank which failed and brought sorrow to many needy depositors. The failure occurred at the time that John S. King was building the Canandaigua and Elmira road, now the northern Central. Mr. Kidder became involved in some heavy railroad deals and the inevitable crash came. Afterwards he returned to Chicago and for several years successfully managed and operated a savings bank. Mr. Kidder died about ten years ago. The death of Mrs. Kidder occurred in New York at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Creighton Lee. The Kidder bank was located in the store now occupied by Beebe, the hatter.

From Naples Record 26 September 1934

Frederick Kidman,
age 51 years, died at his home in South Bristol last Thursday, September 20th. The funeral was held from the home of his daughter, Mrs. Earl Johnson, Naples, Sunday afternoon at 3 o'clock, the Rev. F. C. House of the M. E. Church officiating with the burial in Coye cemetery, South Bristol. He leaves his wife and six children, three of whom are married.

From Naples Record 2 December 1896

George Kidman
died Sunday, Nov. 29, after suffering intensely for a week from a dose of poison. Mr. Kidman, with the help of Daniel Reddout, was running his feed mill on Saturday, Nov. 21. Dan stopped for dinner, but Mr. Kidman did not stop to eat anything and sent his boy to the house to get a mug of wine for each. Kidman drank his without stopping but Dan took only two swallows. Both commenced to vomit and Dr. Cooley was called and found that there was corrosive sublimate in the wine, which had been put in by mistake or by some mischievous person. A half-pint bottle of corrosive sublimate was in the pantry, and some had been used. Mr. Kidman said that he drank wine from the same jug that morning and it was all right. His funeral is tomorrow at his son's, Geo. Kidman, in South Bristol, at 2 p.m., Rev. S. Boyd officiating; burial at Coye cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 8 October 1904

Frank Kierman,
twenty-three years of age, was found dead at 11 o'clock this morning at his home on Pre-emption street. The discovery was made by his wife. The supposition is that the man took chloroform for toothache and administered to himself an overdose. As the house is located on the east side of Pre-emption street, which is in Seneca county, Coroner Clark of Waterloo was summoned. Besides his wife, he is survived by one child. Burial was in St. Patrick's cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 7 February 1938

James R. Killigrew,
retired cigar manufacturer, of Exchange street, died yesterday after a long illness. He is survived by his widow, Mrs. Mary Cox Killigrew; two daughters, Mrs. Walter Hefferon and Miss Mida Killigrew; two sons, James and Aubert Killigrew of Geneva; two sisters, Mrs. Catherine Bird and Mrs. Liona Powers of Elmira; and two brothers, John and Harry Killigrew of Rochester. The funeral will be held tomorrow morning at 9:30 from the family home and 10 o'clock at St. Francis de Sales church. Burial will be made in St. Patrick's cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 9 April 1909

Honeoye, N. Y. -
At her home at Richmond Center, on Wednesday, March 31, occurred the death of Mrs. Helen Killips. Never of a robust constitution, when attacked with pneumonia her frail system could not withstand the ravages of the disease, and although loving care and medical skill did all in their power, she soon succumbed, and death came after only a few days illness. Helen Fox Killips, daughter of John and Dora Fox, was born in Quebec, Canada, July 9, 1849, coming to this town when a small child, her life had been spent in this town. On March 15, 1867, she was united in marriage to Samuel Killips, also of this town, and nine children came of this union. Her husband died in August, 1887, and since that time she has been tenderly cared for by loving children. Mrs. Killips was a woman of beautiful Christian character, which was ever manifest in her every day life. Ever a fond, devoted wife and mother, she was never found wanting as sister, neighbor and friend, and the devotion of her children in her later years of life bore loving tribute to the care and trials of the widowed mother. She is survived by three brothers, John Fox, of Holcomb; William and Henry Fox, of Bristol, and two sisters, Mrs. Eliza O'Neill, of Corning, and Mrs. Mary Wreaford of Detroit, Mich.; and two sons, Henry and Fred Killips of this town, and six daughters, Mrs. Dora Jickells of Clarkson, Mich.; Mrs. Fannie Hutchens and Miss Bessie Killips of Olean; Mrs. Nettie Clapp and Miss Louise Killips of Richmond Center; also eight grandchildren. The funeral was held from her late home on Sunday afternoon, the Rev. J. G. Hamm, of Allens Hill, officiating. The large gathering of sorrowing neighbors and friends told its own story of the loss of an honored and esteemed friend. Interment in the family lot in Lakeview cemetery in Honeoye.

From Lima Recorder 19 July 1945

Henry Killips,
70, of Honeoye, died late last Thursday afternoon in Thompson Memorial Hospital. Canandaigua, as the result of a two-car auto collision about 5 p.m. that day in Honeoye. Mr. Killips is reported to have been riding on the bumper of a car driven by Irving Belcher, who was going north and had reached a point only a short distance south of the village. The driver of the other car was Dean Plain, 20, of Honeoye, World War 2 veteran. Plain was arrested on a holding charge of operating an automobile while intoxicated, which was subsequently withdrawn. As of last night he was still under $3000 bond pending the verdict of a coroner's inquest.

An autopsy performed on Mr. Killips revealed that he suffered several broken ribs and a bad injury on the head. Mr. Belcher, who, according to authorities, said he saw a southbound car coming toward him, going from one side of the road to the other, and that he tried unsuccessfully to avoid it, was cut on the right cheek, forehead and body.

Funeral services were conducted Monday for Mr. Killips in the Honeoye Congregational church. He leaves a widow, a son, seven sisters and a brother. A report from the Snider Pack. Co.'s vinery on the Dibble road, between Livonia Center and Lima, states that about 1:30 on the afternoon on which he died, Mr. Killips had taken a load of peas to the vinery and that he was to draw another load later in the day. When he had not appeared by the next noon, R. T. Crawford, superintendent at the vinery, telephoned Honeoye, not knowing of the accident. Inasmuch as the peas which Mr. Killips was intending to draw were ready to load, German prisoners of war, who are working at the vinery, were sent to Honeoye to get them and take them to the vinery.

From Ontario County Journal 16 November 1894

Tuesday morning Robert Killips, living alone in the northern part of this town, was found dead in his home by neighbors. Coroner Hallenbeck deemed an inquest unnecessary, as the man had been a sufferer from heart trouble. Killips was 62 years of age and a veteran of Company C, 65th N. Y. Vols.

From Ontario County Journal 1 May 1914

The death of William Killips, aged 78 years, occurred at the Canandaigua hospital Wednesday morning. Deceased had been a resident of Bristol for 45 years. He leaves three daughters, Mrs. Bell Mehan, Mrs. Jennie Taylor and Mrs. Myrtle Holcomb; also one son, Robert Killips, all of Bristol. The funeral services will be held at the home this afternoon. Interment will be at Baptist Hill.

From Naples News 10 September 1930

Frederick Kilpatrick
died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Charles Fox, of Race St., Saturday afternoon, September 6th, after a lingering illness of Bright's Disease at the age of 71 years. Mr. Kilpatrick was born in the state of Illinois on January 7, 1859, son of John and Sarah Underhill Kilpatrick, and was married February 13, 1882, to Miss Ellen Donley of Italy Hill. Most of his life was spent in Naples and vicinity, a carpenter by trade. He leaves his wife, four sons and one daughter and six grandchildren. The funeral services were held on Tuesday afternoon from the late home at 2:30, Rev. Ratcliff of the Baptist church officiating. Burial in County Line cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 18 April 1913

Rushville, N. Y. -  Nelson Kilpatrick,
a lifelong resident of this community, was found dead in his shop on Gilbert street on Tuesday morning. He had been in ill health for sometime, although much of the time had been able to work at his trade as a cobbler and harness maker. For the past week he had been very ill and had been cared for by Barney Barker, who remained with him Monday night until 3 o'clock in the morning, and when returned again at 6 o'clock, he found him dead. He was born on the farm now owned by Albert Middaugh, at Reeds Corners, 63 years ago, being one of a family of five children of John and Sarah Kilpatrick. He leaves a wife and two sons, Charles and Lee, all of Potter, three sisters, Mrs. Daniel Smith of Rushville, Mrs. Carrie Dodson of Mawton, Okla., and Mrs. Sarah Riggs of Rochester; and a brother, Fred Kilpatrick of Naples.

From Naples News 27 October 1937

Raymond Kilpatrick
died at his home on Cohocton street last Wednesday night, after a long illness, age 46 years old, and was born in West Italy, but came to Naples to live when a small boy. He was well-known and his death was a shock to the community. He attended Naples High School and served in the World War, being a member of Jacob Schaeffer Post No. 810, of Naples. He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Anna Kilpatrick; his mother, Mrs. Ellen Kilpatrick; a sister, Mrs. Charles Fox; and three brothers, John of Dansville, and Daniel of Naples and William of Rushville. The funeral service was held from the late home on Saturday at 2:30, with the Rev. E. I. Braden, pastor of the Presbyterian church, officiating. Burial was made in Rose Ridge cemetery. Taps were sounded at the grave.

From Ontario County Journal 11 September 1891

George W. Kimball,
who resided on Gibson street in this village, died very suddenly Monday, and autopsy revealed the fact that his death was caused by a rupture of the diaphragm, caused by a fit of coughing. It is regarded as a singular case.

From Geneva Daily Times 13 December 1906

Naples, N. Y. - George C. Kimber died at his home Monday afternoon, aged 64 years. He was born in Naples and had always lived here. He was clerk for W. A. Marks and also G. A. Gordon in dry goods stores and was in business later for himself. A few years ago he returned to his farm and was interested in farming and grape-growing until his death. He was a gentleman of exemplary habits and much respected in the community. His step-mother, his aunt, Miss Jeanette Pettingill, and himself, all have died within one week. A wife, one son, Irving Kimber and Mrs. Albert Watkins, all of Naples, survive him.

From Ontario County Journal 11 May 1917

Bristol Valley, N. Y. -
At his home in Bristol Valley at 1:45 o'clock on Wednesday morning occurred the death of Isaac Newton Kimber. Death was due to asphyxiation from coal gas. Mr. Kimber was born in Orange county on Sept. 23, 1840, and was one of four children of Joseph and Mary Gray Kimber. On March 4, 1864, he was married to Eunice N. Gardner of Bristol, and to them were born seven children, of whom there survive Mrs. Madge Simmons and Mrs. Maurice Clement, of Bristol, and James R. Kimber of Rochester. There also survive ten grandchildren. Mrs. Kimber died Feb. 20, 1888. Isaac Newton Kimber was a well-known resident, having lived in this town nearly all his life. He was a man of sound judgment, and a Democrat in politics. He had served as a notary public for years, also as postmaster at Bristol Center under Cleveland's administration, and was justice for several terms. The past few years he had lived alone, and on returning home on Monday night was in his usual health. He fixed his coal stove as usual, but it in some way leaked gas, which, he inhaling, caused his death. The funeral will be held this afternoon at 2 o'clock from the home of his daughter, Mrs. Madge Simmons, Rev. Hugh F. Graham officiating. Burial will be made in the family lot in Bristol Center.

From Ontario County Journal 16 May 1913

Bristol Center, N. Y. -
At his home in Bristol Center on Wednesday morning occurred the death of Isaac Newton Kimber, Jr., at the age of 36 years. Mr. Kimber succumbed to tuberculosis. The decedent is survived by his wife; three children, Lola, Clarence and Glenn Kimber, all young; by his father, Isaac Kimber of Bristol Center; two sisters, Mrs. F. I. Simmons of Bristol Center, and Mrs. Morris Clement of Bristol; and a brother, James Kimber of Rochester. The funeral services will be held today at 2 o'clock from the Methodist church at Bristol Center.

From Ontario County Journal 27 December 1901

South Bristol, N. Y. - 
After a long season of patient suffering, extending over a period of several months, the death of John L. Kimber occurred at his home in South Bristol, on Dec. 18. The deceased was born in Orange county 57 years ago. He had always resided in this state with the exception of two years spent in Michigan. Mr. Kimber occupied a warm spot in the hearts of his friends and was honorable and upright in all of his dealings. He was a loving husband, father, brother and friend. The funeral services were held at his home on Friday afternoon and were conducted by the Rev. H. L. Hubbard, pastor of the Congregational church at Bristol Center. The members of the Bristol Chapter, K. O. T. M., of which deceased was a member, attended in a body. Mr. Kimber is survived by his wife; one son, Charles Kimber; four daughters, Mrs. Edward Wincher of Syracuse; Mrs. George Fuller of Brockport; and Misses Mary and Emma Kimber of Bristol Springs; one brother, I. N. Kimber of Bristol Center; and one sister, Mrs. J. Collins, who resides in Canandaigua. Interment was made in the Coye cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 1 July 1892

Bristol Center, N. Y. -
The funeral of the late Joseph Kimber was held from the Methodist church last Friday afternoon, Rev. Mr. Badgley, of the Congregational church, officiating. Mr. Kimber was over 80 years of age. He leaves a widow, two sons and a daughter to mourn his loss.

From Ontario County Journal 3 December 1886

Naples, N. Y. - S. W. Kimber, an old resident of this town, died on Wednesday morning, aged about 70. He was sick but a few days, though he had not been strong for years. He leaves a wife and two sons. Mr. Kimber was a genial companion and was respected by his townsmen.

From Geneva Daily Times 5 December 1906

Naples, N. Y. - A sad accident happened yesterday morning when the clothing of Mrs. S. W. Kimber caught fire. She is over 80 years old and she and her sister, Mrs. Jeanette Pettingale, about 90 years old, were alone. In some way unknown, Mrs. Kimber's dress caught fire and getting onto the bed set the bed clothes on fire also. the front part of her dress was nearly all burned off, also her hair. She is in critical condition. C. L. Leens was going by and heard her crying for help and went to their assistance, or both women would have perished in the flames, as the bed where her sister was lying was on fire.

From Geneva Daily Times 6 December 1906

Naples, N. Y. - Mrs. S. W. Kimber, who was so badly burned Tuesday at her home on Mechanic street, died at 4 o'clock yesterday morning, aged 80 years. Her husband died a number of years ago. She had lived nearly all her life in Naples. She was a member of the Methodist church, an exemplary lady, and had many friends in the community. One son, Charles Kimber, and stepson, George C. Kimber, both of Naples, survive her, and her aged sister.

From Ontario County Journal 25 February 1898

Bristol Center, N. Y. -
The death of Mrs. T. N. Kimber occurred on Sunday afternoon, Feb. 29, aged 55 years. She had been in failing health for over two years. She leaves, besides a husband, four children. Funeral services were held on Wednesday from the Congregational church, Rev. Post officiating.

From Geneva Daily Times 29 January 1929

Orleans, N. Y. -
Mr. and Mrs. Richard Kinsey were in Canandaigua Sunday afternoon to attend the funeral of Mrs. Elizabeth Kimble, which was held from the home of her daughter, Mrs. Weldon Kershaw. Mrs. Kimble, a number of years ago, was a resident of this village for a time. She was the widow of George W. Kimble and was 81 years of age. Her death Thursday night followed a long illness. Rev. George E. Finley of the Canandaigua Baptist church officiated at the funeral service with burial in Chapman cemetery, Hopewell. Mrs. Kimble is survived by her daughter, Mrs. Kershaw, with whom she made her home; also by three grandchildren, John Leslie, Elizabeth Hazel and Margaret Elaine Kershaw, all of Canandaigua.

From Geneva Daily Times 13 July 1905

The funeral of Francis W. Kime, who died yesterday morning at nine o'clock, will take place at 2:30 tomorrow afternoon from the home of his mother, Mrs. George Gilbert, No. 190 Pulteney street. Rev. George Cross Baner, pastor of First Universalist church, will officiate. Burial will be in Glenwood cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 21 May 1909

Clifton Springs, N. Y. -
Yesterday forenoon at the family home on West Main street occurred the death of Mrs. A. H. King. Mrs. King had been in poor health for several years, and a few months ago she underwent an operation which it was hoped would benefit her health, but the benefit was only temporary and during the past few weeks she had failed in strength rapidly. She had been a residence of this village for about fifteen years, having moved here from a farm northwest of this village. The deceased is survived by her husband and two daughter, Mrs. George W. Wilson and Miss Lillian, all of this place.

From Geneva Gazette 21 April 1899

Albert C. King,
one of the most prominent farmers of Phelps, died last Monday morning, aged 76 years.  Geo. Thomas of Geneva is his brother, and Mrs. Thatcher of Orleans, and son Oscar, with whom he resided, are his only children.

From Ontario County Journal 21 April 1899

Phelps, N. Y. - Albert C. King,
a prosperous farmer and citizen of this town, died at his home a mile southwest of the village last Monday forenoon, aged 76 years. The deceased had been in failing health for several months, due to brain trouble. One brother, George of Geneva, one son, Oscar, and one daughter, Mrs. Thatcher of Hopewell, survive. The funeral services were held Wednesday afternoon at 3 o'clock at the late residence, Rev. S. F. Beardslee officiating. Interment was made in the Phelps cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 6 March 1914

Naples, N. Y. - A heart-rending calamity occurred in Garlinghouse settlement on Saturday. A straw stack on the farm of Perry Bartholomew had been cut in halves to make a sale and part had been drawn away. Standing by it were several persons, among whom were Harvey Stephenson, a stalwart son of Daniel Stephenson, and Alfred King, son of Will King. When the remaining half suddenly fell over, covered with ice and snow, these two were caught and buried beneath the heavy straw. Before King could be reached, he was dead with a broken neck. Stephenson was alive, but his leg at the hip was broken. He was 60 years old and King, 14, Mr. Stephenson's father is very old and feeble and it is feared that this blow may endanger his life. There is great sorrow in the community. Burial was delayed by reason of the severe and heavy snow storms the first of the week, the roads being impassable.

From Shortsville Enterprise 2 December 1915

The death of Alonzo B. King, a descendant of early pioneers of this section, occurred at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Leora Farnsworth, about a mile east of this village, last week Thursday. He had been ill for some time. His age was 81 years. Mr. King was born on Nov. 17, 1834, on what is known as the King homestead between Manchester Center and Port Gibson, and was a son of Harvey and Lucy King. When a young man he purchased the Manchester Center saw mill property which he conducted for many years in connection with the pursuit of agriculture. He was married to Miss Mary Hoes, of Port Gibson, on Nov. 14, 1855.  The survivors are his wife; two sons, Wade R. King of Manchester, and George King of Hopewell; three daughters, Mrs. Julius F. Aldrich of Farmington; Mrs. Leora Farnsworth of Manchester; and Mrs. Ernest Fox of Shortsville; one brother, Adelbert King of Clifton Springs; two sisters, Mrs. Irene Coates of Hopewell and Mrs. John McClelland of Port Gibson, and fifteen grandchildren. The funeral services were held from the Farnsworth home on Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock. The interment was made at Port Gibson.

From Geneva Daily Times 8 January 1918

Mrs. Anna King,
aged 76 years, widow of the late Silas J. King, died quite suddenly last evening at 6 o'clock, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. James A. Lovejoy, with whom she made her home. Mrs. King has not been in good health for about a year, but was able to be out occasionally. For the past few weeks she has suffered from a severe cold. She also had heart trouble. Last evening she was sitting on the edge of the bed visiting with friends. A little later her daughter went down stairs to bring up her supper tray, but before she could do so, she was called upstairs again; she found her mother just gasping and was in a few moments dead. Heart failure was given as the primary cause of death. Mrs. King had been a member of the North Presbyterian church since its organization. For 48 years Mr. and Mrs. King resided on Tillman street, and are remembered as being residents here for a long term of years. The survivors are one daughter, Mrs. James A. Lovejoy; two grandchildren and 3 great-grandchildren. The funeral will be held Thursday afternoon, Rev. David H. Craver of the North Presbyterian church officiating. Interment will be made in the Washington Street Cemetery.

From Victor Herald 30 May 1902

David H. King
died at his home, near Padelfords station, Thursday, aged eighty-one years. The deceased was well-known in this village. A widow and a son survive.

From Geneva Advertiser 23 September 1902

Mrs. Eliza E.,
wife of Henry King, died at her home on Castle street, last Tuesday, Sept. 16th, at 12:30 noon, after an illness of many years, aged 74 years.  She was one of a family of five daughters of Jacob Everson, of whom but one now survives, Caroline, the widow of Clement Ostrander.  Mrs. King is survived by her husband and four children, James A. of Buffalo, Henry E., Theodore S. and Alice A. of Geneva.

From Naples News 3 March 1926

Mrs. Emma Donley King
died Sunday morning at her home on the Parrish road after a long illness. She was the daughter of Levi and Cynthia Chrysler Donley, and was born in the town of Italy, June 8, 1879. She had lived in this community all her life. In 1899 she married John King who died six years ago. Deceased is survived by one daughter and five sons; one brother, Melvin Donley of Italy; three sisters and two stepdaughters. Funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon at the Presbyterian church, Rev. F. A. Hawley officiating, and the burial was in Fair View cemetery.

From Ontario County Chronicle 25 March 1903

Clifton Springs, N. Y. - George King
was found dead on the New York Central Railroad tracks near the Maden crossing, one mile east of this village, Tuesday night. He is supposed to have been struck by the eastbound passenger train due at this place at 6 o'clock. His son, Durfee, who was coming to the village, met his father about that time. Upon returning home later in the evening the son was told by his mother that Mr. King had not yet reached home and that she felt worried and wished him to go and look for him. So the boy started out with a lantern and his father's dog. Upon reaching the railroad crossing, the dog acted strangely. The boy followed the dog for a little distance down the track where he was horrified to find his father dead with a large hole in the back of his skull. Mr. King was a steady, hard-working man. He leaves a wife and eight children.

From Geneva Gazette 8 March 1872

Sudden Death in Manchester -
Our esteemed correspondent from Manchester, informs us that their worthy fellow citizen and pioneer, Harvey King, left the polls of the election in that town at noon to return home about three-fourths of a mile distant and he lived to reach his house.  The case of death is supposed to be an affection of the heart produced by the depressing influences of the extreme cold weather.

From Geneva Advertiser 8 March 1904

Henry King
died of pneumonia at his home on Castle street yesterday morning, March 7th, after a long and painful illness. He was born in England May 12, 1825, so that he was nearly 79 years of age. He came to Geneva in November, 1830, so that more than 74 years of his life have been spent here. Ever since we knew him, he has been the proprietor of a livery and exchange stable, and at the time of his death we doubt if there was a man in Geneva who has been longer in one line of business than he. His wife, a daughter of J. Everson, has been dead some years. He leaves four children, Alice, James, Henry and Theodore, all residing in Geneva except James, whose home is in Buffalo. Mr. King leaves considerable property, which no doubt he has dispersed by will. It may be that one or two of his sons will carry on his business.

From Geneva Daily Times 7 March 1904

After being sick for eight days with pneumonia, Henry King, who has conducted a livery stable at No. 35 Castle street for half a century, died at his home, No. 51 Castle street, at 10 o'clock last evening. If the deceased had lived until May 12, he would have been seventy-nine years of age. Mr. King was one of the oldest and most respected business men of the city. He was born in Leeds, Yorkshire, England, and came to this country and city with his parents when he was five years old. He started out for himself at the age of fifteen and after various employments, opened a livery on Canal street in 1849. On the expiration of five years of business at that stand, he moved to his present location on Castle street, where he has since remained. Mr. King was a master mason, having joined Ark lodge 33, Free and Accepted Masons, in 1880. He was also an attendant at St. Peter's church. The deceased is survived by three sons, James, Henry E., and Theodore S. King; one daughter, Alice E. King, and one brother, John Silas King, all of this city, and one sister, Mrs. M. E. Mann of Washington, D. C. The funeral will take place at 2 o'clock Wednesday afternoon from the house, Rev. John B. Hubbs, D. D., pastor of St. Peter's church, officiating. Burial will follow in Glenwood cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 7 May 1907

Phelps, N. Y. - The death of Mrs. Henry U. King occurred Monday afternoon at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Henry Maine, at Manlius. With her husband, Mrs. King lived on their farm south of Phelps for a number of years until this spring, when they disposed of the farm and moved to Manlius to reside with their daughter. Mrs. King had been in failing health for several months. Besides her husband she leaves one son, William King of Phelps, and one daughter, Mrs. Maine of Manlius. Undertaker Yells left for that place yesterday and will bring the remains here for burial.

From Geneva Daily Times 10 June 1909

Clifton Springs, N. Y. -
The remains of Henry U. King, who formerly resided a short distance from this village, but who for several months past had been making his home with his daughter at Manlius, where he died Monday night, were brought to this village yesterday. The funeral services will be held today at the Baptist church at Orleans, and the services will be conducted by Rev. C. W. Turrell, pastor of the Universalist church in this village. The interment will be made in the family lot in the Orleans cemetery. The deceased is survived by a daughter and a son, both of Manlius.

From Clifton Springs Press 5 November 1925

On Saturday night, Herbert N. King, a former Clifton Springs business man, was struck by an automobile on West Main street and received injuries from which he died a few hours later. The accident happened about 10 o'clock. Mr. King and his wife and daughter were returning home from spending the evening at the home of J. E. Short, who lives across the street from the King residence. Mr. King was some distance ahead and started across the street at the Foster avenue crossing. He stopped to allow an automobile going west to pass and stepped back, it is said, directly in front of a Cadillac touring car driven by Joseph Hart of Geneva, which was coming down the hill. Mr. King was knocked down and the heavy machine passed over his body, crushing him badly. Drs. Conley, Wilson and Mumford, who live in the vicinity, were summoned and had the unfortunate man taken to his home, as it was seen that he had no chance of recovery. Mr. King regained consciousness for a short time and recognized and spoke to members of his family. He died at 5 o'clock on Sunday morning. Herbert N. King was born on the King homestead, one mile west of the village, on April 12, 1863. He was married to Ada McCauley on January 21, 1886. In October, 1912, he went into the furniture and undertaking business in partnership with Ellis M. Weld, retiring about four years ago. He is survived by his wife; one daughter, Frances, wife of Arthur Keyes; and one sister, Mrs. Harry P. Reed of Livonia. The funeral was held at the home on West Main street on Tuesday afternoon, Rev. R. S. Chalmers officiating. Burial was made in Clifton Springs cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 26 May 1899

Phelps, N. Y. - Irving D. King,
an honored resident and successful farmer of this town, who had been in feeble health for the past year or more, died last Saturday morning at his home in Orleans, aged 64 years. His death was due to muscular atrophy. Two sons and one daughter survive. The funeral services were on Monday afternoon, Rev. Mr. Fox of Orleans officiating. Interment was in the family plot at that place. The deceased was a brother of Mrs. Fred Stotenburg of this village.

From Naples Record 1 May 1929

Isaiah Francis King,
72 died last Wednesday, April 24th, 1929, at his home at Boswell Corners, in the town of South Bristol, after an illness of two weeks. He was born July 5th, 1856, in the town of Bristol, where he resided until 1884, The previous year he was united in marriage to Emma Wells, and they moved to the farm in South Bristol where he spent the last 45 years of his life. He had always been a kind neighbor, devoted husband and father. Mr. King leaves to mourn his loss, his wife, Mrs. Emma King; one son, Raymond of South Bristol; and one daughter, Mrs. H. Jackson Slayton of Firth, Idaho; also five grandchildren, Harold King, Ernestine Edgett and Charles, Thomas, and Betty Lou Slayton. Funeral services were held from the home on Friday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock, Rev. William Partington, pastor of Naples Methodist church, officiating. Burial was in Baptist Hill cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 6 December 1904

Canandaigua, N. Y. - John King,
a well-known carpenter and contractor of the town of Canandaigua, died at his home on North Pearl street Sunday evening of heart failure, brought on by an attack of grip from which he has suffered several days. Deceased was about the house as usual, and death occurred while he was sitting in a chair reading a newspaper. Survivors are his wife, two daughters, Mrs. James Williamson of Canandaigua, and Mrs. John Perry of Shortsville, and two sons, John and James of Canandaigua.

From Naples Record 25 June 1880

Died, June 10, 1880, at his home in Naples, N. Y., John King, aged 75. Mr. King was born in Florida, Orange Co., N. Y., in 1805. His parents were poor and from early youth he was compelled to labor. When quite young, he did errands for Dr. Seward, father of the late William H. Seward, with whom he was quite intimate. About 1815, his parents moved to the then, so called, Lake Country, in Seneca Co. After a few years, Mr. King, then a boy of 15, came to Milo Center, in Yates Co. He learned the trade of chair-making of a Mr. Strobridge and worked at that till he was 22 years old. He was married then to Miss Charlotte Wisner, by whom he had two daughters, Jane and Rebecca. Jane became the wife of William Ohelman of this place; Rebecca married Hiram Arnold of Iowa. Both of these daughters died before their father. Mr. King lost his wife after being married only five years. His business at that time was wagon-making, until in 1842 he came to Naples and settled in Garlinghouse on the same farm he occupied when he died. In 1845 he married Malinda Stephenson, by whom he had ten children, of whom nine were privileged to attend the funeral; one, Fanny, died five years ago. Mr. King went to his native place twice, after leaving it, to visit a sister and other relatives. The first time his mother and two daughters accompanied him, more than 40 years ago. The second time, in 1862, the writer went with him, and well remembers how very much he enjoyed the visit, and he often spoke of it in after years with great pleasure. Mr. King was an upright citizen, a good neighbor, and a kind husband and father, and his presence is sadly missed from the home circle. We trust, however, that their loss will be his gain. His funeral, on Saturday, June 12, was largely attended, and his his remains were buried in the Garlinghouse cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 30 March 1915

John Silas King,
aged 85 years, who has been ill for some time at his home, 28 Tillman street, died yesterday afternoon. Mr. King was born in Geneva and was its oldest native-born citizen. Mr. King has lived a retired life for many years, but earlier was in the trucking business. Besides his wife, he leaves one daughter, Mrs. James Lovejoy, of this city; three half-brothers, William and Frank King of Washington, D. C.; and David King of Fairgrove, Mich.; one half sister, Mrs. Emma Mann of Washington, D. C.; two grandchildren, Charles and Arthur J. Lovejoy; two great-grandchildren; three nephews, James, Henry and Theodore King, all of Geneva. Funeral services will be held from his late home tomorrow afternoon at 3 o'clock, Rev. David H. Craver, pastor of the North Presbyterian Church, officiating. Interment will be made in the Washington Street Cemetery.

From Geneva Gazette 18 July 1890

Mrs. Joseph King died in Phelps July 9th at the advanced age of 95 years.  She had been a resident of Phelps 53 years.

From Phelps Citizen 25 March 1880

Sunday afternoon Joseph King, one of the oldest and most respected citizens of Phelps, died from the effects of paralysis. He had been unusually well until Saturday morning, from which time he rapidly declined. His funeral rites were observed Wednesday at ten o'clock. Mr. King was born in Connecticut September 27, 1795, and at an early age removed with his parents to the town of Manchester. Subsequently he located in Arcadia, and from there he removed to Phelps. He has been a resident of the town for 61 years, and is known by a large circle. Last fall he passed his 84th birthday. His wife, who is six weeks younger, survives him, though in very feeble health.

From Ontario County Journal 22 March 1878

Died - L. F. King,
departed this life Friday, March 15th, aged 44 years.  His funeral was held at his late residence, one mile northwest of Clifton Springs, on Sunday last.  Notwithstanding the rain and mud, there was a very large attendance.  He was highly respected by all who knew him, and the town sustains a great loss in his death.  He leaves a wife and two children to mourn his death.

From Geneva Advertiser 9 January 1913

Mrs. Larissa E. King,
widow of the late Charles King, died early Sunday evening at her home, 125 Main street, aged 72 years. She had been in failing health for some time. In all her long life, she was a woman who was true and faithful to every duty. Her nature was such as made her best known and appreciated by her family and intimate friends. Her death is sincerely regretted and deep sympathy goes out to her bereaved family. She is survived by two sons and three daughters, Lemuel B. King of Newburgh, N. Y., and Harry L. King of this city; Elizabeth E. King, Mrs. A. H. Herendeen and Jessie M. King, all of Geneva. The funeral services were held from her late residence at two o'clock yesterday afternoon, Rev. W. W. Weller officiating. Interment was made in Washington Street Cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 20 July 1906

The funeral of Mrs. Laura Peck King was held this afternoon from the home of her mother, Mrs. H. M. Peck, No. 137 Lafayette avenue. The Rev. C. E. Jewell of the First Methodist church officiated and the burial was in Whitney's Cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 6 June 1929

Mrs. Lottie M. King,
aged 40, wife of Irving C. King, 202 Lewis street, died at the Dixon Sanitarium yesterday afternoon. Besides her husband, she is survived by three children, Donald, Elizabeth and Robert; and one brother, Willard Swart of Rochester. Mrs. King was a member of the First Methodist church and of the Mizpah Sunday School Class of that church. The funeral will be held Saturday afternoon at 2 o'clock from her late home with Rev. R. H. Huse of the Methodist church officiating. Interment will be in the Orleans Cemetery.

From Shortsville Enterprise 9 November 1916

The funeral of Mrs. Mary King, widow of Alonzo B. King, was held from the home of her daughter, Mrs. Leora Farnsworth, east of this village, on Sunday. Mrs. King was a daughter of Richard and Nancy Hoes, and was born at Canaan, Columbia county, on February 20, 1834. The larger part of her life was spent in this section. She was married to Alonzo B. King at her home in Port Gibson on Nov. 14, 1855. His demise occurred about a year ago. The survivors are two sons, Wade R. King of Manchester and George King of Hopewell; three daughters, Mrs. Julius F. Aldrich of Farmington; Mrs. Ernest Fox of Manchester; and Mrs. Farnsworth.

From Geneva Daily Times 31 March 1904

Theodore F. King
died after a protracted illness shortly after 12 o'clock this morning at his home, No. 221 Castle street, aged fifty-eight years. The deceased was a half-brother of Henry King, who died March 6. Theodore King was born in this city, where he was educated, and learned the carpenter's trade which he followed throughout his life. A major portion of his life was spent out of the city. Among the places where he lived were several towns in Virginia, Washington and Canandaigua. Some eighteen years ago he returned to his native town and followed his trade for three years, but owing to enfeebled health, he at that time was compelled to retire. For fifteen years he had been obliged to refrain from hard labor and three years he had been an invalid. During his illness he experienced religion and was of the Methodist faith. The deceased is survived by his widow, four brothers, Silas of Geneva, William and Frank of Washington, and David of Michigan; one sister, Mrs. Emma Mann, of Washington.  Burial Glenwood Cemetery

From Naples Record 17 November 1943

Wade R. King,
82, who for the past few yrs has spent much time with his daughter, Mrs. John C. Bolles, in Naples, died last Friday, November 12, 1943, in the Memorial Hospital in Canandaigua, where he had been a patient for a few weeks. Mr. King was born near Port Gibson, town of Manchester, on December 16, 1860, a son of Alonzo B. and Mary Hoes King. Until his retirement in 1922, he was always a farmer in Manchester township, except for three years' service as turnkey at the Ontario County jail when John C. Bolles was sheriff. Mr. King leaves two daughters, Mrs. John C. Bolles of Naples, and Mrs. Harriet Hayward of Manchester; two sisters, Mrs. Leora Farnsworth and Mrs. Clara Fox of Clifton Springs; three grandchildren, Miss Marian Elizabeth Bolles and Miss Martha Bolles of Naples, and Walter Millham Hayward, Sr., of Buffalo; one great-grandson, Walter Hayward, Jr. His wife, Ella C. Herendeen King, whom he married on February 16, 1887, died on December 10, 1936. Services were held on Sunday at 3 p.m. from the home of his daughter, Mrs. Harriet Hayward, in Manchester, the Rev. Leon L. Swarthout officiating. Interment was made in Brookside Cemetery, in Shortsville.

From Ontario County Journal 11 November 1898

East Bloomfield, N. Y. -
On Saturday occurred the death of one of the most esteemed citizens of this place, Mrs. Abby Kingsbury. She had not been ill long, but died as many would wish to die, when the time comes. She laid down and went to sleep. She is survived by five children, Mrs. Marcia LaFevre, Mrs. Sylvia Griggs, both of New Rochelle; Mrs. Harriet Phelps, Miss Abbie S. E., and John Kingsbury, of this place. Her oldest son, George B. died on March 12, 1898. One sister, Mrs. Hiram Steele, survives and four grandchildren, Howard R. Ware and Mrs. Jane Griggs Colley, Mrs. Edith LaFevre Bouton of New Rochelle, and Miss Minnie P. Kingsbury of this place. Her oldest grandchild, Mrs. Lizzie Griggs Pride, died two years ago. Mrs. Kingsbury was born in Providence, Rhode Island, Nov. 27, 1804, and was the daughter of Daniel Hayden, who moved to East Bloomfield in 1858, and lived on the farm on the north Canandaigua road. They moved to the village 20 years ago. Mr. Kingsbury died in 1858. Mrs. Kingsbury was an active and devoted member of the Congregational church for 40 years. Personally she was cordial, kind and a most reliable, devoted friend. For the last nine years she had been blind but had been very patient. The funeral services were held from her late home on Wednesday afternoon at 3 o'clock, Rev. C. C. Johnson, a former pastor of the Congregational church, officiating.

From Ontario County Journal 18 March 1898

East Bloomfield, N. Y. -
From his late residence on Tuesday afternoon at 3 o'clock was held the funeral of George B. Kingsbury, a respected citizen of this place, who died on Saturday, after an illness of two or three days, at the age of 68 years. Besides one daughter, Minnie E. Kingsbury, a mother and four sisters survive, Mrs. Griggs and Mrs. LaFever of Waterbury, Conn., Mrs. Phelps and Miss Abbie Kingsbury of this place; and one brother, J. S. Kingsbury. The funeral services were in charge of Rev. M. L. Stimson, pastor of the Congregational church of which the deceased was a member.

From Ontario County Journal 25 June 1897

Clifton Springs, N. Y. - 
Died, on Tuesday morning, June 22, at his residence on East Main street, Capt. George W. Kingsbury. He is survived by a daughter and a son, Cora and Rufus H Kingsbury.

From Ontario County Journal 8 March 1895

Last Friday night, Hampton Kingsbury died at his home on Buffalo street at the age of 82 years. He had been a resident of Canandaigua about 20 years, moving here from Bristol, where he was engaged in farming. He leaves two sons and two daughters, Sherman of this village, and Addison of New York city; Mrs. Elihu Briggs and Mrs. Spafford Buckelew of Bristol. Funeral services were conducted Sunday by Rev. A. L. Freeman.

From Ontario County Times 20 June 1888

East Bloomfield, N. Y. -  John S. Kingsbury,
whose death occurred at his home in this place, June 8th, was buried from his late residence Monday p.m., 11th instant. The funeral services were conducted by the Rev. Mr. Moir, assisted by Rev. Mr. Bradley, and the choir of the Congregational church. Mr. Kingsbury was the youngest son of Judge John Kingsbury, of Waterbury, Conn., was born November 18th, 1801, therefore was in his eighty-seventh year. His brother, Julius J. B. Kingsbury, Major U. S. A., died in 1857. His oldest brother, Charles D. Kingsbury, of Waterbury, Conn., is still living, and in his ninety-third year. In 1825, he married Abby, daughter of Daniel Hayden, of Waterbury, Conn., who is left to mourn his loss, after a journey through life together of more than sixty-one years. In early life he was identified with the manufacturing interests of his native place, being associated with his father-in-law in the manufacture of buttons and various other articles. They were the first to manufacture cloth buttons, covered by machinery. The tools being invented and made by Daniel Hayden. In 1850 he came to this place and bought a farm, and remained but one year, returning to Conn. He returned again in 1858 and made this his home the remainder of his life. A pure life characterized by honesty and honor. He was often known to remark: "Any man degrades his manhood who seeks to make another's misfortune or necessity his opportunity for gain." Modest with respect to all his attainments. All who knew him well were impressed with his true nobility of character. After six months of suffering, patiently borne, he passed away quietly as he had lived, with the firm conviction that he should meet loved ones on the other shore. He leaves, besides his wife, two sons and four daughters, one grandson and four granddaughters.The three married daughters of the late Mr. Kingsbury, Mrs. Griggs, Mrs. LeFerre and Mrs. Phelps, all of New Rochelle, near New York City, were home at their father's funeral.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 31 January 1916

Canandaigua, N. Y., Jan. 30 -
The funeral of Sherman W. Kingsbury will be held from the home of his daughter, Mrs. Charles H. Brockelbank, at 2:30 o'clock Monday afternoon. Rev. Charles Eddy, of the Methodist church and Rev. Herbert L. Gaylord, of the Episcopal church, will officiate. The interment will be made in West avenue cemetery. Mr. Kingsbury died very suddenly Saturday morning at 8:45 o'clock of neuralgia of the heart. For the past few years, he had made his home with his daughter and son-in-law here but prior to that he was engaged in business in New York for about twenty years. Thirty years ago he was one of the most widely known business men in Canandaigua, conducted a grocery store for some years, ran a meat market, dealt in produce, particularly hops, and built the Kingsbury Opera House in Beeman street, now known as the Davidson Theater. He plunged into purchasing hops heartily, expecting to reap big financial returns, but was caught adversely when the market went down and lost many thousands of dollars, which forced his retirement from his many activities here and he took up a commissions business in New York.

He was born in Bristol September 8, 1843, but came with his parents to Canandaigua. On September 8, 1868, he married Miss Julia Jobes of Canandaigua, besides whom he leaves one daughter, Mrs. Charles H. Brockelbank; a sister, Mrs. Elihu Briggs of East Bloomfield; and a brother, Addison Kingsbury, now an inmate of the Canandaigua Health Home, suffering with paralysis.

From Ontario County Journal 2 March 1888

Canadice, N. Y. - Mrs. Ambrose Kingsley,
an old lady, died about three weeks since. Her husband and several children mourn her loss.

From Ontario County Journal 8 January 1897


Canadice, N. Y. -
A strange coincidence happened in this town last week, the substance of which is as follows: Ambrose Kingsley, one of the oldest inhabitants of the town, died at the residence of his son, Addison, on Dec. 30, the funeral being held Jan. 1. He left three children, Addison, of this town; Homer A. of Rochester, and Mrs. Lucy Rider of Hornellsville. Deceased was 88 years old.

After the services, Homer A. of Rochester, went to W. D. Caskey's to stay over night, and during the evening, while all were engaged in conversation, suddenly, and without any warning, his head fell forward on his breast, and he died instantly. An undertaker came from Rochester and removed the remains to that city, where a wife and a 15-year-old daughter survive him. Mr. Kingsley was born in this town, but afterwards removed to Rochester, and went into the hardware business. He has been secretary of the Western New York Agricultural Society for many years. He has also been a member of the board of directors, and at one time was president of that body. His death was a great shock to the community in which he lived, as well as to his many relatives and friends in this town.

From Ontario County Journal 18 October 1889

Died in Hopewell, September 25th, Bradford Kingsley, aged 63 years, 1 month and 5 days. The deceased was born in the town of Ballston, Saratoga county, N. Y., Aug. 20th, 1826, and moved with his father to Perinton, Monroe county, in 1836, and to the town of Hopewell, Ontario county, in the year following. With the exception of five years residence in Clifton Springs, N. Y., he lived in this town forty-two years. During that time he filled the office of assessor three terms and for three years represented the town in the board of supervisors. On January 1st, 1852, he married Miss Caroline T. Baker who died in 1885, leaving two children, a son and daughter, and in March, 1888, he married Miss Lavinia Straight who, with the two children above-mentioned, survive him. Mr. Kingsley needs no eulogy at our hands. It is written on the hearts of all who knew him, kind and genial in his disposition with an inherent love for truth and justice, he left a vacancy in the community which will long be felt. His funeral was attended at his late residence, September 27th, from whence sorrowing friends and neighbors bore him to his last resting place.

From Ontario County Journal 20 November 1885

Mrs. Caroline Kingsley
died in Hopewell, Ontario county, N. Y., Nov. 2d, 1885, aged 55 years. She was born at the Baker homestead, within a short distance of where she died, on Feb. 15th, 1830. On Jan. 1st, 1852, she joined her fortunes with Bradford Kingsley, and excepting five years' residence in Clifton Springs, N. Y., always lived on farms adjoining the old homestead. A long and painful illness preceded her demise, which was borne with uncomplaining fortitude and resignation. At times the lamp of hope spread into a broader flame, only to be dimmed by the chilling blast of despair, till finally the passing wave of Death's wing, as he flew silent by, extinguished it forever. The life of Mrs. Kingsley was uneventful, as the world records events, but if love for all and the exercise of all those little acts of kindness which go to make up the sum of human happiness were written, then, indeed was her life full of events. Even in the hours of her greatest suffering the welfare and comfort of those around her were paramount to her own. Hers it was to exemplify in its fullest sense the Golden Rule -- "Do unto others as ye would that they should do unto you." A loving wife, a fond mother, an affectionate sister, a true friend has gone to her reward.

Her funeral took place from her late residence on Thursday, Nov. 5th, 1885, attended by a large concourse of relatives, friends and acquaintances, where, amid flowering tributes, the long-drawn sigh, the quivering lip and the tearful eye evinced the esteem in which she was held by all.

From Ontario County Times 4 September 1872

At the residence of his mother, on Bemis street, in this village, on Monday morning last, Franklin S. Kingsley, aged 27 years. Frank was a member of Hook and Ladder Company No. 1, and was highly esteemed by his associates, who turned out in a body to attend his funeral yesterday afternoon. He was a nephew of Mr. John E. Booth of this town. But a short time since the deceased accompanied his brother firemen on their excursion, apparently in good health.

From Ontario County Journal 12 January 1894

Clifton Springs, N. Y. - Joseph Kingsley
died at his home, about four miles south of this place, last Sunday, aged 69 years. Mr. Kingsley was an old resident of this section and was very highly esteemed by all who knew him. The funeral services were held from his late home, Wednesday afternoon at 2 o'clock.

From Livonia Gazette 22 July 1943

Walter Kingsley,
youngest son of Addison and Adaline Kingsley, died at his home near Victor on July 6 after a lingering illness, at the age of 67. Mr. Kingsley was born in Canadice, on the Canadice-Springwater town line road, and was much respected by all who knew him. In 1909 he was married to Alice Doolittle of this place. Surviving, besides the widow, are five daughters, Mrs. Florence Keefe of Rochester, and Ruth, Grace, Olive and Marian, all of Rochester; three sons, Ray of Rochester, Rev. Walter R. of Bergen, and Ralph of the U. S. army; one sister, Mrs. Jennie Doolittle of Naples; one brother, Fred of Honeoye; and two grandchildren. The funeral services were held at the home on Friday, July 9, with the Rev. Travis officiating. Interment was at Boughton Hill cemetery, Victor.

From Geneva Daily Times 1 October 1908

Clifton Springs, N. Y. -
On Tuesday evening at the Clifton Springs Sanitarium occurred the death of Dr. Beverly O. Kinnear, after an illness of only two days. Dr. Kinnear has been a member of the medical staff for the past eleven years and has many friends in this village. His wife died in the this village about six months ago. Dr. Kinnear is survived by his little daughter, Dorothy. Dr. Kinnear was about 60 years old and came to this village from New York City. He had been a resident of London, Paris, and St. Johns, N. B., before coming here. The funeral services will be held this afternoon and the remains will be taken to Woodlawn Cemetery, New York City, for burial beside his wife.

From Geneva Daily Times 14 April 1908

Clifton Springs, N. Y. -
On Sunday morning occurred the death of Mrs. Lucretia Elizabeth Stabb Kinnear, wife of Dr. Beverley O. Kinnear, at their rooms in the Clifton Springs Sanitarium. Mrs. Kinnear had been in poor health for a long time and her condition had been serious for some time. She was 43 years old and had been married for the past fifteen years. Her father, J. E. Stabb, was Justice of the Peace of Newfoundland, and her grandfather, Hon. Nicholas Stabb, held a high office. She is survived by her husband, Dr. Kinnear, who is a member of the medical staff of the Sanitarium, which position he has held for some few years; also by her daughter of, Miss Mary Dorothy Kinnear. Funeral services were held in the Sanitarium chapel yesterday afternoon. Rev. S. H. Adams, chaplain, and Rev. Dr. B. D. Muller officiated. The remains were taken on an evening train to New York City for burial.

From Ontario County Times 23 February 1887

The body of Brian Kinney, a laborer of Geneva, was found in Seneca Lake near that village on Thursday. Kinney left his home on Friday of the week before and was last seen in an intoxicated condition in the evening of that day.

From Geneva Gazette 16 March 1877

Geo. Kinney,
a well-known colored man, died very suddenly in this village this morning, supposed of apoplexy.

From Ontario County Chronicle 17 June 1903

John Kinney,
aged 69 years, died at his home in Geneva Saturday evening. Death was the result of injuries sustained a week ago last Wednesday, when Mr. Kinney was knocked down by a bicycle ridden by Joseph DeWolf. Mr. Kinney is survived by his widow who is totally blind; also two sons, Michael Kinney of Auburn and John K. Kinney; and one daughter, Mrs. John A. Bramer of Geneva.

From Geneva Daily Times 11 September 1905

Nathaniel P. Kinney,
sixty-four years of age, died at 3 o'clock this morning at his home, No. 31 Monroe street. The deceased is survived by his widow, one sister, Mrs. Silas Crutchfield, and one nephew, Frederick C. Kinney.

From Geneva Gazette 29 May 1868

The Times states that Seeley Kinney of that village committed suicide on Monday morning by hanging.  He was collector of the town, having been elected in March last.  Of late his health has been much impaired, unfitting him for business, which made him despondent.  He had frequently expressed himself as tired of life, and hoped for death to release him from bodily ailments. While his family were absent, he hung himself from a beam in his woodshed, and when discovered by a neighbor, life was extinct.

From Geneva Gazette 14 April 1893

Wm. F. Kinney,
son of the late Garret Kinney and son-in-law of B. F. Cleggett, died last Wednesday night of consumption, aged about 37 years.  He was held in high esteem especially by his colored friends.  His wife and one child constitute his immediate family.  Funeral this afternoon at 4 o'clock.

From Geneva Gazette 13 November 1891

Saturday evening last the four-year-old daughter of Patrick Kinsella of Canandaigua, built a bonfire of papers in center of the floor while her mother was a neighbor's house.  The flames reached the girl's clothing and she was severely burned before the neighbors who heard her screams could come to her assistance.  The little girl died the next day.

Another page:

Laura Kinsella, four years of age, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Patrick Kinsella, on Gorham street, in this village, was fatally burned on Saturday morning.  The child and two younger brothers had been left alone in the house during the absence of the mother, and in some way they secured a box of matches and proceeded to build a fire of newspapers on the floor.  Laura's dress caught fire and before assistance arrived she was burned beyond a possibility of recovery.  Death ensued at 11 o'clock the same night.  One of the boys was also burned, but fortunately not seriously.  Can. Times

From Ithaca Daily News 26 July 1915

Canandaigua, July 26 - Michael J. Kinsella,
46 years old, when at work in the lower freight yards of the New York Central here last Thursday, was burned to death. The body was found by another railroad employee some time after death occurred. Mr. Kinsella, who has worked for the company for years, was sent to fumigate a freight car that had contained watermelons. There were many bees about the car about the car, attracted by the juice of the melons, and Mr. Kinsella told one of the railroad men that the bees bothered him so much that he purposed to start a smudge with some hay and smoke out the bothersome creatures so that he could work in better comfort.

He obtained a drink of water at D. Tower, on the Pennsylvania tracks some little distance from where he was working, just after noon, and that was the last seen of him alive. It is believed that in making the smudge to drive out the bees, Mr. Kinsella's clothing caught fire, and being oily, burned fiercely. When found, his body was terribly burned. All of the clothing had been burned off except his shoes and part of his socks. The fire was all out when he was found. The body was then lying on the ground near the car. It is believed that the man was overcome with flames
and smoke from his oily clothing and dropped before he could make the need of assistance known. Mr. Kinsella was born in Canandaigua and had always lived here he leaves his wife and six children.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 29 November 1905

At his home at 191 Gorham street, on Monday morning, occurred the death of Thomas Kinsella, a well-known and respected citizen of this place. Mr. Kinsella, who was 72 years of age, has been a resident of Canandaigua for about 50 years. He is survived by seven children, four sons, Michael, Frank J., Thomas and Richard; and three daughters, Mrs. T. Linehan and Elizabeth, all of this village; and Mrs. Andrew McGreggor of Syracuse. The funeral will be held tomorrow morning at 10 o'clock from St. Mary's church.

From Geneva Daily Times 13 January 1931

Orleans, N. Y. -
Funeral services were held today for John T. Kinsey, a former Orleans resident who died at the home of Frank Winburn, near Phelps Junction, Friday evening. Mr. Kinsey had been ill but a few hours, with a heart attack, and his death came as a shock to relatives and friends. John T. Kinsey was born June 24, 1843, in the town of Newton, Montgomery County, Wales, and came to this country at an early age. The greater part of his life has been spent in this vicinity. His wife died in May, 1919. Surviving relatives are two sons, Richard O. Kinsey of this place and Henry Kinsey of Shortsville; two step-sons, Oliver Winburn of Seneca Castle and Samuel Winburn of Phelps Junction; also by several grandchildren. Services were held at 1:30 o'clock from the home of Frank Winburn, with interment in the Orleans cemetery.

Return to Ontario County Homepage

Copyright 2004-16, Ontario County NYGenWeb and each contributor and author of materials herein. All rights reserved.