"Joi" to "Jz" Obituaries

From Geneva Daily Times 12 February 1921

Mrs. Cora A. Jolly,
aged 51, wife of Fred Jolly, died this morning at the Geneva City Hospital. She is survived by one daughter, Mrs. William Metcalf of Grant avenue; two sons, Frank of Willard, and Alvah of McDougall; her father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Lahr of Waterloo; six brothers, Edward, Henry, George, Warren, Albert and Spencer Lahr of Waterloo; two sisters, Mrs. Bart Cronin and Mrs. Henry Acor, both of Waterloo, and two grandchildren. The funeral will be held from her home, 32 Grant avenue, Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock, Rev. E. H. Dickinson of the First Presbyterian church officiating. Interment will be made in Maple Grove cemetery, Waterloo.

From Ontario County Journal 11 May 1877

East Bloomfield, N. Y. -
At the residence of her brother, Mr. Geo. Boyce, early on Sabbath morning, Mrs. Adah Jones, aged 30 years.  She had been with us but a short time, but her kind winning ways endeared her to all with whom she associated. She possessed a beautiful christian character.  Her conversion, which occurred during the ministry of Rev. H. Van Benschoten, was one of the clearest and brightest we have ever known, and the faith which she was led to profess so triumphantly was soon to be tested by the most intense suffering.  But her faith gave her holy triumphs under the severest trials.  She often spoke of her readiness "to depart and be with Christ" and the joy found in trusting Him. Her whole sickness was characterized by the exercise of a sweet patient spirit.  Truly for her "to die is gain."  The Sabbath which dawned upon her immortal spirit was the dawn of a Sabbath whose duration is to be eternal, one whose joys will be sweetest amid the associations of "God and the Angels."

From Ontario County Journal 23 April 1880

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - Mrs. Alice M. Jones
died Monday, April 19th, of heart disease. She leaves a husband and two daughters to mourn her loss.

From Ontario County Journal 15 March 1912

Mrs. Alice Persons Jones,
wife of Joseph Jones, of Cheshire, aged 52 years, suffered a sudden attack of an illness which had been chronic with her for 15 years, took a swallow of carbolic acid on Tuesday afternoon, mistaking it for a stimulant which she used. Both bottles were of the same size and were in the same cupboard, and in her haste to take the stimulant, she made the fatal mistake. Instantly upon getting a swallow of the poison, Mrs. Jones cried frantically to her husband, who was in an adjoining room, telling him of her mistake. The woman soon sank to the floor in great agony. Mr. Jones summoned Dr. John Hutchens, but the poison had done its work and the unfortunate woman died in about 20 minutes after swallowing the acid. Coroner Armstrong issued a verdict of death by accident. Deceased was born in Hopewell in June, 1860, the daughter of Russell Persons and Amelia Townsend. She was united in marriage with Joseph Jones in December, 1887, who, with two sons, Morton of Cheshire, and Osborne, of Canandaigua, survive. The funeral services were held yesterday afternoon, Rev. Mr. Searles officiating. Interment in Pine Bank Cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 30 October 1885

Died, on October 24, at his home in the town of Hopewell, Amos Jones, aged 92 years, 5 months and 5 days. On Monday, the 26th inst., the sorrowing friends and mourning relatives followed to their final resting place the mortal remains of the last of that little band of pioneers, who reclaimed from the wilderness what is now known as the town of Hopewell, and caused it to bloom and blossom, and produce many and abundant harvests. By the death of Judge Amos Jones is lost the last link that connected the virgin wilderness that once covered that township with the advanced civilization of today. Eighty years ago this present season, he moved with his parents from Montgomery Co., Md., the place of his birth, onto the farm, then unimproved, which has since been his continuous home, and the scene of all his greatest joys and sorrows. On two occasions after leaving Maryland, he returned to his native State, once on horse back, and again in a wagon with his mother. On one of these journeys, from a distance he viewed the ruins made by the British soldiers in the city of Washington, during the war of 1812. As he stood and watched the smoke ascend from the burning ruins of our nation's capitol, we can easily imagine that his young heart was filled with indignation, and his love of Country made stronger. It was a great pleasure to us of the present generation to hear him relate the episodes of these journeys, and other incidents of his pioneer life.

Naturally of a robust body and healthy mind, he took readily to the hard life of the pioneer, and as improvements of civilization went on, identified himself with them, and by reason of the sound sense and energy brought into play, was considered then chief promoter in the town. From the very first he secured the confidence of his neighbors, and when but a young man was chosen as one of the road commissioners of the then town of Gorham, from which subsequently the town of Hopewell was taken. Many of the roads along which now lay fertile fields and stand beautiful dwellings, he helped survey and build through dense woods, marked only by the blazed trees. After this introduction as a public official, he held office in the gift of the people for nearly forty consecutive years. For thirty years he was one of the Justices of the Peace for the town of Hopewell, and was honored by being its Supervisor for 21 terms. Such was the confidence in his honesty, intelligence and judgment, that during the administration of Wm. H. Seward as Governor of New York, he was appointed by him Judge of Ontario county. He held that position for a term of five years, dispensing justice with an unbiased mind and with great credit to himself. Mr. Jones retained to the day of his death the respect of all who knew him. As a father, husband and friend he was all that could be expected of mortal man, as regards those attributes into which enter love and kindness. He retained his vigor of mind and interest in those about him to the very last.

The funeral services were held at the old homestead, and the remains interred in the Chapman burying ground beside those of his wife, who died long years ago. The sermon was delivered by Rev. C. E. Perkins, of Clifton Springs, in words that filled the sorrowing hearts of the mourners with hope and consolation. Seven children mourn his loss -- three sons and four daughters: Amos and Andrew of Hopewell, and John who resides at Quincy, Mich. The daughters are Mrs. Joel Hill, Mrs. John Cost, Mrs. Jefferson Whitney and Mrs. Louis Chapman, of Denver, Col.

From Geneva Gazette 6 May 1898

Amos Jones,
a widower living at Hopewell, committed suicide at Phelps last Friday afternoon by taking a dose of laudanum. The deceased went into Ryan's hotel, and stopping there for a while, called for an empty glass, which the bar-tender gave him, asking him if he wished any water.  Jones answered no, stepped one side and turned something from a little vial he took from an inside pocket.  He set the bottle down, and said, "Good-bye, boys, I am going."  The bartender, seeing the label on the bottle, called the attention of Mr. Ryan to it.  Physicians worked over the man for four hours, but he died at half past four.

From Geneva Daily Times 31 August 1910

Clifton Springs, N. Y. -  Andrew Jones,
a well-known and highly respected farmer, residing about two miles south of this village in the town of Hopewell, died on Tuesday morning after an illness of several weeks. Mr. Jones was eighty-four years old and had spent his entire life in this vicinity. Mr. Jones was a widower, his wife having died many years ago. His two daughters, Miss Mary Jones and Miss Clara Jones and one son, Fletcher Jones, lived with him. He is also survived by two sons, Curly of California and Edward Jones of Krebs, Oklahoma. A sister, Mrs. Joel Hill, resides in this village. Burial Chapman Cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 16 August 1907

Rushville, N. Y. - Mrs. Ann Jones died yesterday morning at 7 o'clock of heart trouble. Mrs. Jones was the eldest of three daughters of Mr. and Mrs. Judge Augustus Torry, being born September 2, 1824. More than sixty years ago, she married Mr. Jones, who died soon after the marriage. Mrs. Jones was educated in Canandaigua Seminary, and taught school sixty years, nearly fifty of which in Rushville and vicinity. At the reunion of the alumni of Rushville High School last year, she gave an excellent paper of reminiscences of her long and useful life. She early identified herself with the Congregational church, and for many years taught an adult Bible class.

From Geneva Gazette 5 December 1884

Augustus Jones, an old and respected citizen of Geneva, died last Sunday at the advanced age of eighty-six years.  Mr. Jones was born at Westerloo, Albany county, October 25th 1798, where he passed his boyhood days.  Prior to coming to Geneva, he resided at Benton, Yates county, where he was a prominent man in church and public affairs having been honored with many positions of responsibility and trust by his fellow townsmen.  Twenty years ago he removed to Geneva with his family, where he had remained up to the time of his decease.  He was of a very positive temperament and was fearless in the support and defense of his convictions.  If there was any one thing which more interested him than his religion, it was his political belief which he ever stood ready to maintain and fend with convincing arguments.  He always enjoyed good health up to two months ago, and he seemed to feel from the first that that was his last illness.  His married life was always happy and eleven children, seven boys and four girls, blessed his union, of whom six boys and three girls and his beloved wife survive him.  He retained consciousness up to the last, and when death came he was fully prepared for the great change, and passed peacefully and happily away with one of Zion's hymns on his lips, "Nearer my God to Thee."  The funeral services were held on Wednesday and were largely attended.  Those at the house were of the Episcopal form, conducted by the Rev. Dr. Rankine -- at the M. E. Church fitting eulogies were delivered by Rev. T. M. House, Rev. Dr. Hibbard, Rev. Dr. Buck, and Rev. Dr. Bull. The active part of Mr. Jones' life, comprising a period of nearly fifty years, was spent in mercantile business in the towns of Middleburgh and Fulton, Schoharie county, where he will still be remembered.  His married life extended over a period of 65 years, and was one of unbroken harmony and mutual affection.

From Geneva Gazette 28 August 1891

The death of this venerable woman was announced in our last issue.  More than such brief notice is due to her memory.  Her maiden name was Charity Mattice, and she was born in Schoharie county in 1804 of good revolutionary stock.  She married in about the year 1820, and retained her residence in Schoharie until 1850, when she removed with her husband to Benton Center, Yates county.  Meantime she became the mother of twelve children, seven sons and five daughters, all but one of whom arrived at adult age.  Eight of the number still survive.  In 1855 the family removed to Geneva, where they resided until first the patriarchal sire was taken away by death, and now, five years later, the exemplary Christian mother is called home.  Both, through their long pilgrimage on earth, were devout members of the M. E. Church, and contributed liberally through its instrumentality to their Master's cause, and to the relief of poor and suffering humanity.  Her children will cherish her memory through life as a loving counselor and guide.

From Ontario County Journal 2 May 1913

Bristol, N. Y. - 
Again death has entered the town and another loving husband and father has been called. The death of Austin A. Jones occurred at his home in Bristol on Friday afternoon, after a long illness, terminating in diabetes gangrene. He was born in Bristol Nov. 22, 1845, and would have been 68 years old his next birthday. He leaves many friends to mourn his loss, besides his wife, two sons and several grandchildren. About 42 years ago, he was united in marriage with Sarah Brown. To them was born one son, Charles B. Jones. The death of his wife occurred about one year after their marriage, and about 38 years ago he married Nathalia Crouch, to whom one son was born, Irving A. Jones. The funeral services were held Sunday afternoon, interment in the Evergreen cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 3 June 1905

Mrs. Cecelia J. Jones,
widow of the late James W. Jones, died at 4 o'clock yesterday afternoon at No. 36 Grove street. The deceased was fifty-seven years of age. Nineteen months ago she had a stroke of paralysis which has now resulted in her death. She was born in Middlehope, N. Y., July 30, 1848. Upon her marriage thirty years ago she came to this city where she has since resided. Since her residence in this city, Mrs. Jones has been a member of the First Methodist church and until recent years has been active in church work. She is survived by one son, William C. Jones of the W. C. Jones Electrical Supply and Construction Company, and one daughter, Miss Lottie C. Jones, also of this city. The funeral will take place from the home of her son, No. 83 Sherrill street, Monday afternoon at 3 o'clock, Rev. C. E. Jewell, pastor of the First Methodist church officiating.

From Ontario County Journal 4 August 1882

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - Mr. Chas. Jones,
who has been quite feeble for 2 years, is dead, aged about 75 years. Funeral took place Tuesday last.

From Ontario County Journal 13 May 1898

The death of Charles Jones occurred Thursday morning at his home on West Gibson street after a lingering illness. The deceased was born Feb. 16, 1806. In 1832 he removed to East Bloomfield, where he lived until moving to Canandaigua. One daughter, Mrs. Sherman Kingsbury, survives him. The funeral will be held from his late residence Sunday afternoon at 3:30 o'clock.

From Geneva Daily Times 27 April 1907

Clifton Springs, N. Y. -
At his late residence on Broad street in this village early yesterday morning occurred the death of Charles B. Jones, who has been a resident of this village for the past fifteen years. Mr. Jones was born in the town of Hopewell forty-two years ago, and has spent all his life in this vicinity. He has been ill for the past several with pneumonia. He was married thirteen years ago to Miss Sarah Warfield, of Clifton Springs, who with one son, survive him. He is also survived by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Richard Jones, and Miss Helen Jones, of Clifton Springs. Mr. Jones was a member of the Protective Hose company of Clifton Springs, and has held an office in the Knights of Pythias, of which lodge he was a member, for several years. The funeral services will be held at the home on Broad street on Sunday afternoon at 2:30 and the interment will be made in the village cemetery. Rev. L. B. Johnston will officiate.

From Geneva Daily Times 14 February 1925

Gorham, N. Y. - 
Funeral services for Dennison L. Jones, aged 45 years, who died at Memorial hospital, Canandaigua. Thursday morning, will be held at the Baptist church at 2, pastor of the church, officiating. He was a a member of lodge No. 434, I. O. O. F., who will have charge of the services. He leaves his wife, a son and three daughters, Elwood, G(can't read), Gladys and Virginia; his mother. Mrs. Mary Jones, of Stanley; two brothers and a sister, Irving Jones of Canandaigua, Mark Jones and Mrs. Carl Krein. Interment will be made in Gorham cemetery.

From Ontario County Times 14 January 1885

Elijah Jones,
whose death is briefly announced in another part of this paper, was the oldest native resident of Bristol. In earlier days he was a leading, influential citizen, honorably distinguished for his strict integrity and sound judgment, and throughout his long life enjoyed in a marked degree the confidence and respect of his fellow townsmen. His title of General was acquired as a military officer when our state militia was in its glory, and to hold a commission in its service was an honor to which the proudest aspired. Gen. Jones, after an exceptionally active and useful life, gradually yielded to the infirmities of age until about a year ago, when he was prostrated by a stroke of paralysis, from which he never recovered, and which with other physical ailments made him a great sufferer during the remainder of his life. His aged wife survives him, and he also leaves two sons and a daughter, the oldest of whom, Mr. E. U. Jones, is a resident of Michigan; while the second, Mr. Leonard H. Jones is the present Supervisor of Bristol. The daughter, Mrs. Mary L. Marsh, also resides in Bristol.

From Ontario County Journal 17 January 1919

Bristol Valley, N. Y. -
On Saturday occurred the death of Mrs. Elizabeth Jones, a lifelong resident of this town. She is survived by her son, W. J. Jones, with whom she resided; also two grandsons, Joel and Chester Jones, both in the service. She was the widow of Peleg Jones, who died several years ago, and the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Warham Williams. The funeral was held from the home at 1 o'clock on Wednesday.

From Geneva Daily Times 23 January 1914

Seneca Castle, Jan. 23 -
The death of Mrs. Emeline A. Jones, wife of the late William A. Jones, of this village, occurred at the home of her daughter, Mrs. William Cooper, at 4:45 this morning. Mrs. Jones is survived by three daughters, Mrs. William Cooper of this village; Mrs. John Cayward of Canandaigua; Mrs. Jane Dolan of Orleans; two sons, William P. Jones of Seneca Castle, and B. W. Jones of Orleans; one step-granddaughter, Mrs. J. F. Carter of Elmira. Also three brothers, A. M. Fiero of Canandaigua; William C. Fiero of Geneva; Alfred Fiero of Rochester; one sister, Mrs. Mary E. Rogers of Rochester. The funeral will be held from her late home on Monday morning at 11 o'clock, Rev. E. E. Grosh, of the Presbyterian church, officiating. Interment will be in Whitney Cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 11 February 1908

Clifton Springs, N. Y. -
At the residence of his brother, Richard Jones, where he died, were held the funeral services of George D. Jones on Monday afternoon, at 2 o'clock. Rev. V. A. Sage, of the Baptist church, officiated and the burial was made in the Clifton Springs Cemetery. Mr. Jones' death occurred on Saturday night last after an illness of several weeks. He was born in the town of Hopewell in the house where he died in the year 1818 and was 89 years of age. A peculiar circumstance of the time of his death is that his father died just 22 years ago, the same date and in the same house. His parents came to this state from Maryland and purchased the Jones' farm, paying for the same all in silver, and since that time the street has been known by the name of Silver street. Mr. Jones is survived by one daughter, Mrs. Ida Hakes of Clifton Springs; three sons, Thomas C. Jones of Clifton Springs; Eugene Jones of Newark; and William Jones of Manchester; one brother, Richard Jones, of Clifton Springs; one sister, Mrs. Hanna of Orleans, and nine grandchildren.

From Geneva Gazette 26 May 1876

Mrs. Harriet Jones
of Phelps died on the 19th inst. at the advanced age of 86 years.  Her funeral took place at the Presbyterian Church, Seneca Castle, on the 21st inst., attended by a large concourse of mourning friends.

From Geneva Daily Times 16 April 1904

Shortsville, N. Y. -
Friends in this village learned with regret of the death of Mrs. Harriet H. Jones, fifty, wife of Richard Noel Jones, which occurred at her home in Canandaigua Thursday afternoon. She had been an invalid several years, but the immediate cause of death was pneumonia. Mr. and Mrs. Jones were residents of Shortsville in 1894 and 1895. One sister and three brothers survive:  Mrs. George W. Clark of Shortsville, Frederick McGough, Canandaigua, William McGough, Rochester; Joseph McGough, Travers City.

From Geneva Daily Times 21 August 1931

Seneca Castle, N. Y. - 
The death of Mrs. Harriet M. Jones, wife of the late Charles Jones, occurred at the family home Thursday evening about 9 o'clock after a long illness. Harriet, oldest daughter of Clarence and Eva Snyder Cayward, was born at Stanley, March 27, 1878. When a child, the family moved to Orleans, where they made their home for many years. She was united in marriage to Charles A. Jones, son of Mr. and Mrs. William Jones, Aug. 31, 1896, and she remained a resident of that village until three years after the death of her husband, which occurred in February, 1913, when the family moved to Seneca Castle. Mrs. Jones united with the Orleans Baptist church many years ago, and when the family removed to Seneca Castle, she became a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and her passing is regretted by a large circle of friends.

During the fifteen years she has been in this village, Mrs. Jones served very efficiently as agent for the Rochester and Eastern until the trolley was discontinued in 1930. Mrs. Jones is survived by a daughter, Mrs. Harry Ottley, with whom she made her home; a son, Leon H. Jones, also of Seneca Castle; and five grandchildren, Hugh and Shirley Ottley and Charles, Lawrence and Lois Jones, all of Seneca Castle; also two sisters, Mrs. Edward W. Biehl of Orleans and Mrs. Arthur B. Barker of Clifton Springs; and two brothers, John S. Cayward of Seneca Castle and Herbert Cayward of Orleans. The funeral services will be held Sunday afternoon at the home at 2 o'clock and 2:30 o'clock at the Orleans Baptist church, with Rev. B. F. Butler of Seneca Castle officiating. Interment will be made in the Orleans cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 25 February 1881

Flint Creek, N. Y. - Mrs. Hattie Jones,
daughter of Peter Fiero, was buried last Saturday. Mrs. Jones has been ill a long time, but was thought to be getting better, when a week or two since her infant daughter died, after which she sank rapidly until Wednesday of last week when she died. She was little more than twenty-one years of age, and had been married but little more than a year. She leaves a large circle of friends to mourn her loss.

From Geneva Gazette 4 February 1870

An aged couple of Shortsville, Henry W. Jones and Sophia, his wife, died within twenty-four hours of each other -- one of Thursday and the other on Friday of last week.  Mr. Jones was engaged in the manufacture of paper at the above-named place.

From Naples Record 4 October 1944

Mrs. Ida Yaw Bailey Jones,
71, died last Wednesday, September 27, 1944, at the home of her son, H. Duane Bailey, near East Bloomfield. She was born in Naples. She went to East Bloomfield to teach school fifty-five years ago. There, she married Hiram Bailey, and, until recently, except for the years when she was employed at Craig Colony, at Sonyea. Mr. Bailey died several years ago. Recently, she married Charles B. Jones, Sr., of Bristol and thereafter lived at his home on the Bristol-Honeoye road, until her health failed. She was a member of the Congregational church of East Bloomfield and of the East Bloomfield Grange. Besides her husband, Mrs. Jone is survived by the son, H. Duane Bailey of East Bloomfield; a sister, Mrs. Arthur M. Freid, and a brother, Purl T. Yaw, both of Naples; and by several cousins. Services were held on Friday at 2:00 p.m. in East Bloomfield, conducted by Rev. Walter C. Schaeffer, of the Congregational church, and Rev. Harry M. Wright, of the Bristol Universalist Church. Burial was made in Evergreen cemetery in Bristol.

From Geneva Daily Times 7 June 1916

The death of Mrs. Ida Bryan Jones, aged 56, occurred at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Charles H. Holliday, 87 Mill street, this morning at 11:40 o'clock. Besides Mrs. Holliday she is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Dempsey Vreeland of Montezuma, and Mrs. Geo. W. Loop, Jr., of Lynbrook, L. I.; also three sons, Orville E. Bryan of Geneva, G. Edward Bryan of Seneca Castle and J. Camman Bryan of Trona, Calif.

From Geneva Daily Times 8 June 1916

The funeral of Mrs. Ida Bryan Jones, who died yesterday morning, will be held Saturday morning at 10:30 o'clock at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Charles H. Holliday, 87 Mill street. Rev. Kenneth A. Bray will officiate and interment will be made in Whitney Cemetery, near Seneca Castle.

From Geneva Daily Times 3 June 1895

James Jones,
upon whom an operation for appendicitis was performed on Saturday, an account of which appeared in the Times of that day, died at his home on Evans street, at 1 o'clock this morning.  the deceased was 23 years of age and was born in Seneca Falls.  In his early infancy his parents removed to Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.  A brother and two sisters constitute his immediate relatives, his parents being dead. The remains left Geneva on the noon train for Hamilton where interment will take place. They were accompanied by his brother and sisters, also by John F. Toole, representing the A. O. H., and Daniel Quinlan and Edward Wickham, a committee from the Iron Moulders Union, of which organizations the deceased was an active and honored member.  John Callaghan and John Shaughnessy, intimate friends accompanied the funeral party.  Two hundred members of the I. M. U. and fifty of the A. O. H., wearing suitable mourning badges, followed the remains of the deceased brother to the train.  The floral tributes were beautiful and appropriate.  The bearers were William Hitchcock, Herbert Reynolds, Geo. McLaughlin, William J. Broderick, John Riley and Frank Fitzpatrick.

From Geneva Daily Times 10 May 1907

Shortsville, N. Y. - The funeral of James Jones, a prominent resident of this town, was held from Trinity chapel this morning. Mr. Jones had been in failing health for several months yet the end came as a shock to this community. He had been in business here as a paper manufacturer for over fifty years having assumed the business while his father was engaged in it at the same location. He leaves a wife, who was Miss A. D. Haan of the family of Haan sisters, who were at one time at the the head of the famous Haan Seminary, Clifton Springs. Mr. Jones was 73 years of age, and leaves a daughter, wife of Rev. S. Blunt of Chicago, and one son, Richmond Jones of Canandaigua.

From Geneva Advertiser 5 March 1901

James N. Jones
died at his home, No. 15 Avenue C off North Genesee street, last Friday afternoon, March 1st, aged 55 years. He was a son of the late Samuel L. Jones, we believe, by adoption in very early infancy, so that he never knew any other parents than Mr. and Mrs. Jones.  His death came after a long and terrible illness, until he was wasted to almost a skeleton.  He is survived by his widow, one son, Will C. Jones, the electrician, and a daughter, Lottie Jones.  He was a member of St. Peter's Church, and as we well know, was a very generous-hearted man according to his means.  The funeral was held yesterday.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 9 May 1906

Yesterday forenoon while Jay Jones and John Feganscher were engaged in blasting out stones with dynamite on the farm of the former east of Seneca Castle, a charge of dynamite which had been placed to blow out a large stone exploded prematurely. Mr. Feganscher escaped absolutely without injury but Mr. Jones was terribly injured by the explosion. The sight of both eyes was totally destroyed, one hand was blown off and the fingers of the other badly lacerated and his whole body terribly mangled. Dr. George W. Sargent of Seneca Castle was at once summoned and had the unfortunate man placed aboard a Rochester and Eastern car and taken to the Geneva City Hospital where he was also attended by Drs. Skinner and Grove, but the combined efforts of the three physicians were unavailing to save his life and he died about an hour after the accident occurred. He is survived by his father, Prosser Jones, a prominent farmer of that locality, his wife, two stepsons and three stepdaughters; and by three brothers, George, a newspaper man of Elmira, and John and William of Hopewell. The deceased was a prominent and highly respected farmer, and his tragic death will be keenly regretted among his numerous friends.

From Geneva Gazette 9 April 1886

Mrs. Joseph Jones,
residing in the south part of Canandaigua, called at one of her neighbors Sunday afternoon, Apr. 4, and on her return home and when about eighty rods from her dwelling, fell and died instantly.  She had been feeling very well and to all appearance had been in usual health.

From Geneva Advertiser Gazette 10 May 1906

Last Tuesday morning, a son (my edit--Jay Prosser Jones) of Prosser Jones  whose home is near Seneca Castle, while too near a spot where rock-blasting was being carried on, suffered terribly by one of the blasts. One arm was broken and almost wrenched off, an eye so badly damaged that it will have to be removed, and his face and head was bruised almost to a pulp -- a mass of blood and torn flesh. As soon as possible he was brought to the city hospital and his injuries attended to. He suffered considerable loss of blood and the shock was very great. At the time of writing this, it was not known whether or not his life could be saved. The family is one of the best known in the town of Seneca and have the sympathy of all their neighbors.

Since writing the above we have learned Mr. Jones died at the hospital before the operations were concluded. It is said that he would have lost both eyes and both hands. He was aged about 48 years and married.

From Ontario County Journal 12 November 1915

Cheshire, N. Y. - The death of Joseph C. Jones occurred at Bethseda sanitarium at Montour Falls on Sunday, following an illness of a few weeks from paralysis. He was the son of Rev. William  and Robah Jones, and was born in 1837 on what is now the Frank Hall farm. He had always lived in this vicinity with the exception of four years service in the army and five years in Michigan. At the outbreak of the Civil war, he was the first to enlist, joining the 18th N. Y. Vol. Infantry, in which he served two years, after which he enlisted in the Fourth Heavy Artillery as a first sergeant, and was mustered out at the close of the war. He leaves one daughter, Mrs. Mary Strokirk, of Montour Falls; two sons, Morton R. of Cheshire, and Osborne, of Rochester; one sister, Mrs. Levi Osborne of Bristol; one brother, Richard N. of Canandaigua. Rev. W. E. Searles officiated at the funeral services on Tuesday. Interment was made in the Pine Bank cemetery.

From Phelps Citizen 7 September 1877

The funeral of Mr. Lemuel Jones was attended last Tuesday from his late residence under Masonic rites.

From Ontario County Journal 18 December 1896

Bristol, N. Y. - Leonard H. Jones,
a lifelong resident of Bristol, died after a brief illness on Monday, Dec. 7, aged 62 years. He had just returned from a business trip to Michigan and was taken ill before reaching home. Mr. Jones was a man of sterling character, honors had been showered upon him by his townsmen, and few would be more missed than he. The funeral was held from his late home on the following Wednesday, Rev. H. J. Orelup officiating. Beside his widow, four sons are left to mourn the loss of a kind husband and father. The interment was in Evergreen cemetery on the hill.

From Geneva Daily Times 6 March 1907

Naples, N. Y. - Lucien B. Jones, a veteran of 63 years, was found dead near his home on Vine street Monday evening. He had gone out but a  few steps from the house, and not returning as expected, his daughter went to look for him, and soon found him dead. He was subject to heart disease, and this was evidently the cause of death. Mr. Jones's early home was in Livingston county, but much of his life had been spent here. He was an expert mechanic and builder, and also a successful market gardener. He enlisted in Company B, First New York Dragoons, and served two years. After the war he married Miss Burke of Naples, who died many years ago. He was first a member of Bingham Post, G. A. R., Naples, but of late had been connected with Tilton Post, Moscow. He leaves one son, Harry, and one daughter, Mrs. Harry Stone, both of Naples.

From Ontario County Journal 21 August 1896

Naples, N. Y. - Mrs. Lucinda Burke,
wife of L. B. Jones, died at her home in Moscow, Monday, Aug. 17, aged 52 years. She was a resident of Naples until about eight years ago. Her father, Harry Burke, and sister, Mrs. Hugh Boles, reside here. The interment was at Rose Ridge cemetery in this village.

From Geneva Daily Times 20 November 1906

Gorham, N. Y. -
The funeral of Mrs. Mark Jones, late of this town, was held at Reed's Corners Sunday afternoon, at 2 o'clock.

From Ontario County Times 19 December 1877

wife of A. G. Jones, died very suddenly at her home in Bristol, N. Y. Friday evening, December 7th, at about 7 o'clock, of heart disease. Death ensued within thirty minutes from the time she was taken. She was engaged at her usual household duties at the time, and had no previous warning of the terrible ordeal through which she was soon to pass. The funeral services were held at the house, which was crowded with friends and neighbors who had assembled to pay the last sad tribute of respect to one whom association had taught them to love and respect as a true friend and most worthy neighbor, for such she had always been, even under the most adverse circumstances. The Rev. Mr. Chandler conducted the services in a most appropriate manner. The remains were taken to the Baptist Hill cemetery for interment. Thus was laid to rest the remains of a fond mother and loving wife. To the two daughters left without a mother's care and love may the sympathy of friends be freely extended; and to the husband who was so suddenly deprived of his companion in life, may he receive those words of consolation which is due to those thus afflicted. George W. Sharpsteen of Richmond, brother to the deceased, and wife were visiting friends in Michigan when the sad news of his sister's death reached him, and although he received the message promptly, yet through the misrepresentation of some stupid porter, he failed to attend the funeral. Deceased was fifty-six years of age at the time of her death and much loved and respected by all who knew her.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 9 March 1929

Victor, March 8 - Mrs. Margaret MacDonald Jones,
29, died at her home on Church st Thursday. Besides her husband, James Jones, she is survived by seven children, John, Alice, James, Anna, Margaret, Malcolm and Douglas; six brothers and a sister, John and Malcolm of Rochester, David and Donald of Canada, Peter, Andrew and Florence of Scotland. Funeral at the
First Presbyterian church at 2 o'clock Saturday afternoon. Burial in Boughton Hill cemetery.

From Ontario County Times 7 April 1886

As Mrs. Mary Jones, wife of Mr. J. C. Jones, a resident of the south part of this town, was returning home from calling on a neighbor last Sunday evening, she was suddenly stricken with heart disease and died within a few moments. She was accompanied by her little daughter and a son of a neighbor, when she complained of a feeling of suffocation and was compelled to sit down by the roadside. Her husband was immediately summoned and a carriage obtained, but the efforts of friends to restore her were unavailing and she breathed her last just as she was being carried into her home. She was the only daughter of our aged and honored townsman, Mr. Levi Haskell, and to him, as to her bereaved husband and other members of the family, goes out the heartfelt sympathy of a wide circle of friends.

From Geneva Daily Times 18 October 1945

Mrs. Mary A. Jones,
widow of the late John V. Jones, died Wednesday at St. Anne's Home, Rochester. She resided in Geneva for many years. Surviving are four daughters, Mrs. Arthur B. O'Brien and Mrs. Elsworth Brodway, both of Rochester, Mrs. Howard E. Blood, Geneva, and Mrs. Frank W. Hanes, Lancaster; one son, James V. Jones, Rochester; two sisters, Mrs. E. E. McGuigan, Geneva, and Mrs. Frank Carr, Auburn; and 11 grandchildren. Funeral rites will be conducted at St. Anne's Home Saturday morning. Interment will be in St. Patrick's cemetery in Geneva.

From Victor Herald 12 February 1904

Mary Louisa Eighmey Jones,
wife of Asa B. Jones, died at the family home on East Main street, this village, at half-past six o'clock Sunday evening, February 7th, 1904. Mrs. Jones had been ill for many weeks. Mary L. Eighme was born in Hamburg, Erie county, N. Y., May 11th, 1847. In 1869, at Knowsville, N. Y., she married Asa B. Jones, and shortly after they came to this town where they have resided for thirty-three years. Two children were born to them, both of whom died some years since. Mrs. Jones was a woman of rare tact and kindliness, one who performed well whatever duties she undertook, who made friends easily and retained them. She was a devoted member of the Presbyterian church in the many activities of which she took a deep interest. Besides her husband, there survive of Mrs. Jones immediate family, one sister, Mrs. Charlotte Mann of Rochester, and two brothers, George H. and Charles J., also of Rochester. The funeral services were held Wednesday afternoon from the house, Rev. F. W. Hill of the Presbyterian church, and Rev. Miss Brennen of the Universalist church, officiating. The bearers were F. G. Snooks, W. D. Newton, C. A. Rugg and R. W. Brace. Interment was in the family plot in the Village cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 21 July 1916

Reed's Corners, N. Y. - 
On Wednesday of last week occurred the death of Myron Jones at the State hospital at Willard, where he had been ill the past year. He was born in Middlesex 66 years ago, but most of his life he lived in this place. He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Mary Jones, of this place; one daughter, Mrs. Carl Krimes, of Dansville; three sons, Dennison of Gorham, Mark of Rochester, and Irving of Canandaigua; also one sister, Mrs. Lafayette Johnson of Bristol; and one brother, Charles Jones of Middlesex. Funeral services were held in the Baptist church on Friday afternoon. Rev. Warner, pastor of the Baptist church at Gorham, officiated. Burial was in Reed cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 21 February 1907

Canandaigua, N. Y. - Word came from Bristol today of the funeral in that place of Miss Olive Jones, aged about 92 years, who died at her home there, on Monday. She was a lifelong resident of the town, her parents being pioneers and she was widely known and beloved. The only survivor is one sister, Mrs. Nancy Phillips. The funeral was conducted by Rev. L. D. Boynton, and the interment was at Evergreen Cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 24 July 1911

In the death of Mr. Prosser Jones, which occurred on July 10th, the community loses one of the oldest and best-known citizens, one who was noted for neighborliness and honesty. Mr. Jones was a charter member of Seneca Castle Grange and an honored official for many years. The funeral was held on Friday from the old homestead, Rev. E. E. Grosh officiating. There remain to mourn his loss, three sons, John and William of this vicinity and George of Elmira; also William Jones, a brother who lives near the village; and Mrs. Augusta Sackett, a sister of Elmira. Interment in Whitney Cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 30 December 1904

Phelps, N. Y. -
The remains of Mrs. Rhoda Jones, who died at the home of her son-in-law, E. D. Ranney, at Hopewell Center, Wednesday, were brought here for burial today. Mrs. Jones was eighty-five years of age and is survived by one son, William Jones of Owasso, Mich., and a number of grandchildren. She has been a resident of this town for many years.

From Clifton Springs Press 2 October 1913

The death of Richard Henry Jones occurred at his home, about two miles southwest of this village, in the town of Hopewell, early on Friday morning, September 26th. Although Mr. Jones had been in poor health for several years, he had been able to be about the farm, and direct its affairs, until a few weeks before his death. He was a son of Thomas and Elizabeth Berr Jones, and was born on October 4, 1825, on the farm where he died. He had always lived on this farm, which has been owned by a a member of the family for more than one hundred years. Mr. Jones was married in Chapin in 1861, to Miss Mary Johnson. Besides his wife, he leaves a daughter, Miss Nellie Jones, who lives at home; one grandson, Charles Jones, of Clifton Springs; and one sister, Mrs. M. W. Hanna, of the town of Hopewell. His son Charles H. Jones, died about six years ago. The deceased was one of our best known farmers, and was a a member of the Hopewell Grange. The funeral was held at his late home on Sunday afternoon at 3 o'clock, the Rev. H. B. Reddick, pastor of the M. E. Church, officiating. Burial was made in the Clifton Springs cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 9 October 1914

East Bloomfield, N. Y. -
The funeral of Roswell E. Jones was held from his late home on Monday afternoon, conducted by Rev. E. P. Wood, pastor of the Universalist church, at Victor, and interment was made in Evergreen cemetery at Bristol. The deceased was a son of Lucy A. Francis and Leonard H. Jones and was born in Bristol, Sept. 1, 1868. About 23 years ago, he was united in marriage with Ethel M. Case, who survives him with one son, Leonard H. Jones; three brothers, Frank A. of Holcomb, and David and LaMont Jone of Bristol; and an aunt, Mrs. Mary Marsh of Bristol. Mr. Jone was at a Buffalo hospital awaiting an operation for appendicitis when his death occurred on October 3.

From Ontario County Chronicle 10 April 1901

Rushville, N. Y. - The funeral of Mrs. S. J. Jones was held from her late residence Saturday at 2 o'clock. The large attendance of friends and relatives showed with what love and respect she was regarded by them. The funeral was conducted by Rev. W. S. H. Hermans. She is survived by her husband, two daughters, Helen Jones and Mrs. W. A. Carson, both of this place, and a son, Wilson J. Jones of Bath. She will be missed by her many friends, especially those of the M. E. church, where she has long been an active worker.

From Ontario County Journal 11 January 1907

The death of Samuel Jones, a well-known resident of Padelfords, occurred on Tuesday, at his home four miles north of Canandaigua. He had been a sufferer for many months and death was not unexpected. Mr. Jones was born in England 69 years ago, and in early manhood came to America. After a few years he settled in the neighborhood where he died. Some twenty-three years ago he married Mrs. Lizzie McStravic, who now deeply mourns the loss of her companion. He also leaves a sister, Mrs. David Green of New York City; and two daughters, Mrs. James Cade of Canandaigua and Mrs. John Brady of Yorktown, Ind.

From Geneva Daily Times 5 January 1940

Clifton Springs, N. Y. -  Mrs. Sarah E. Jones
died Thursday morning at the home of her sister, Miss Frances Warfield. She is survived by one son, Charles B. Jones, Rochester; two grandsons; three sisters Mrs. William Thompson, Mrs. Charles Thomas and Miss Frances Warfield, all of Clifton Springs. Funeral services will be held on Saturday at 2:30 p.m. from the home of her sister. Burial in Clifton Springs Cemetery, Rev. R. Emerson Snethen officiating.

From Ontario County Times 1 January 1890

Victor, N. Y. -  Mr. Smith Jones,
aged 84 years, died early Saturday morning at 5 o'clock. Funeral Monday at 2 o'clock at the house. Burial at the Methodist cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 11 May 1883

Bristol, N. Y. -
The funeral of Mr. Walker Jones was held here last Thursday. He had been a long resident of this town and was respected by all who knew him.

From Ontario County Journal 16 June 1876

Died, at the residence of Isaac Hall, about two miles south and west of Cheshire, Rev. William Jones, aged 87 years. We remember hearing him preach when we were a small boy.  He belonged to the Methodist society, and was a man highly respected for his honesty and integrity, and for his christian examples and teachings.  For the last few years he has been confined to the house, living with his daughter, Mrs. Isaac Hall.  His funeral took place June 13th, at 2 o'clock p.m. at the Union church, Cheshire.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 9 March 1929

Canandaigua, March 8 -
From the home of her daughter, Mrs. Earl Stanley, in this city Sunday afternoon will be held the funeral of Mrs. Elizabeth Jopson, widow of Mark Jopson, who died at the home of the daughter last night, following a long illness. Burial in Woodlawn Cemetery. Besides the daughter, she leaves one son, George Jopson of Canandaigua; two stepsons, Ray Jopson of Rochester, and Herbert Jopson of Canandaigua.

From Geneva Daily Times 28 March 1908

Canandaigua, N. Y. - John Jopson,
a farmer of Centerfield, a small place about four miles west of here, was found hanging dead in a shed at the home of his father about 1:30 o'clock yesterday afternoon. He was a married man, about 45 years of age. Jopson told his wife yesterday morning that he was going to the woods to cut some wood, and set out. When he had not returned at 1 o'clock his wife became alarmed, and went to his father's home nearby, to inquire for him. He was not there, so a search was made for him. He was found in an open shed near the barn. For some time, Jopson and his father, Mark Jopson, had been talking of the matter of working the elder man's farm, but had reached no conclusion. This worried the younger man, making him very nervous, and it is believed to have been the cause of his taking his life. The shock has caused the father to lose his reason, and it is feared that he will not live long. The deceased leaves, besides his wife, three brothers and two sisters. He had no children.

From Ontario County Journal 22 November 1901

Bristol Center, N. Y. - Mrs. Luke Jopson was found dead by the roadside on Friday morning. She had left her home a little after 10 o'clock the evening before to care for a neighbor who was ill. Heart disease is supposed to have been the cause of death. She is survived by her husband, four sons and two daughters. The funeral was held on Sunday afternoon. Interment was made at Bristol.

From Ontario County Journal 5 April 1918

Mark Jopson,
aged 81 years, passed away at his home on Tuesday morning. He leaves his wife; two daughters, Mrs. Earl Stanley, of Canandaigua, and Mrs. B. L. Black of East Rochester; three sons, Raymond, of Rochester; Herbert and George Jopson of Canandaigua; and one brother, Luke Jopson of Rochester. The funeral was held yesterday afternoon at 2 o'clock, Rev. W. H. Yard officiating. Interment was in Woodlawn.

From Ontario County Times 4 February 1885

Naples, N. Y. -
There were two deaths here last week. One was that of the venerable mother of Messrs. John and James Jordan. Mrs. Jordan had been failing in health for several years, and was very feeble at the time of her death, which occurred on Wednesday of last week. Her age was 81 years.

From Ontario County Times 21 April 1875

Benjamin Jordan,
of Geneva, died on the 25th of March, at the age of ninety-two years and three months. The deceased was an uncle of Hon. Ambrose L. VanDusen, of Phelps, and his sister, the mother of Mr. Van Dusen, is still living at the remarkable age of ninety-four years.

From Geneva Daily Times 22 March 1897

Mrs. Bridget Jordan,
aged 80 years, died at noon today at her residence, corner Middle and Wadsworth street. Her death was the result of old age, she having been ailing for the past year. She is survived by three children, all residents of this city, John and Patrick and Mrs. Michael Murphy. Mrs. Jordan has resided in Geneva for about 58 years during which time she commanded the respect of every one. She was a faithful mother and lived a life of good deeds and charitable example. The funeral will take place Thursday morning from St. Francis de Sales church.

From Ontario County Journal 20 July 1894

Naples has lost another excellent woman in the person of Mrs. Ella Jordan, wife of John Jordan. She died on Wednesday, of paralysis, at the age of 53 years and 10 months. Mrs. Jordan was thoughtful and earnest, with a love for the right and a determined purpose to oppose wrong. She was active in church and in all ways to build up the truth and to make people happier and better. In her younger days she was a teacher, and had always kept pace with the growth of thought and the facilities for imparting instruction. She had no children, and her husband, who is not well, is left in deep affliction. Funeral obsequies will be observed at 1:45 this afternoon at the house on Elizabeth street.

From Geneva Daily Times 2 July 1926

Returning home from his employment as a night watchman at the Patent Cereals Company at 6:30 o'clock this morning, Frank S. Jordan, 58, of 72 Milton street, dropped dead from a stroke of apoplexy as he stepped on the rear porch of his daughter's home. Mr. Jordan had been subject to heart trouble for some time although going about his work as usual. He had been employed at the Patent Cereal Company Bradford Street plant as night watchman for the last three years. The deceased resided at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Gus Fritz. A certificate of death caused by a stroke of apoplexy will be issued by Coroner George S. Flint, according to a statement given out this morning. The deceased leaves a wife; one daughter, Mrs. Gus Fritz; and three grandchildren, all of Geneva; and one sister, Mrs. Charles Long of Wayne, N. Y. The funeral will be held from the Milton street home on Tuesday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock, Rev. Bruce E. Pierce officiating. Interment will be made in Glenwood Cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 23 September 1904

Mrs. Sarah Jordan,
mother of Director Whitman H. Jordan of the New York State Agricultural Experiment station, died at 4 o'clock yesterday afternoon at Dr. Jordan's home. Although the deceased had been in feeble health for some time, she had not been seriously until the last few days, when a general breaking up of her system occurred. Mrs. Jordan was of the ripe old age of ninety-five years, having been born in 1809, at Raymond, Me. She came to this city with her son when he became director of the local institution in July, 1894. The deceased is survived by one daughter, Mrs. Josephine H. Foss, and her son, Whitman H. Jordan. She is also survived by one granddaughter, who is the wife of Professor D. C. Jackson, of the University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wis. The funeral services will take place Sunday afternoon at 4 o'clock from Dr. Jordan's house. After the funeral, the body will be taken to New Gloucester, Me., for interment.

From Ontario Repository & Messenger 22 April 1897

Mrs. Susan Jordan
's funeral was held from St. Mary's church Tuesday morning, her death having occurred on North Pleasant st. Sunday. She was the widow of John Jordan.

From Geneva Daily Times 9 February 1940

Hall, Feb. 9 - Mrs. Thea M. Jorgensen,
51, died at the family home yesterday. She is survived by her husband, Carl; three sons, Milford C. of this place, Wilbur A. of Seneca Falls, Carlton A. of Hall; one sister, Mrs. Fred Fredericksen of Stanley; a brother, Chris Jorgensen of Milo; a sister-in-law, Mrs. Ethel Jorgensen of Gorham. The funeral will be held from her late home Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock with the Rev. R. N. Jessup of the Baptist church, Penn Yan, officiating, assisted by the Rev. O. P. Updyke of the Congregational church. Burial will be in the Little Church Cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 17 November 1906

Clifton Springs, N. Y. - Mrs. Almira E. Joselin died Thursday afternoon after an illness of one week, though she had been in poor health for some years. She was 65 years of age and had been a resident of this village only one year. She leaves one son, Edward; two grandchildren, and one sister, Mrs. F. Hunt of this village.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 10 January 1939

Geneva, N. Y. -
Funeral services for Mrs. Bertha Joseph, who died Sunday in Geneva General Hospital, will be held at 1 p.m. today in St. Michael's Syrian Orthodox Church. Mrs. Joseph is survived by three sons, George Drooby, Lyons road; Tony Joseph, Geneva and Leo Joseph, Argentina; one daughter, Mrs. Mary Haddad, Geneva; 15 grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.

From Geneva Daily Times 10 February 1939

Norman Joseph,
of 40 Geneva Street, 53-year-old employee of the Geneva Foundry Corporation, died suddenly in the employee's dressing room at the company's Jackson street plant, at about 6:30 this morning. Mr. Joseph's fellow workers said they found him lying on the floor in the dressing room. He apparently had been changing into working clothes when stricken.  Dr. J. H. Gindling was called but Joseph was dead when the physician arrived. Dr. Gindling notified Coroner Frank H. Snyder and the latter ordered an autopsy which Dr. Gindling performed. The cause of death was given as cerebral hemorrhage. Surviving Mr. Joseph are his wife, Jennie T.; two daughters, Helen J. and Ruth; two sons, Norman, Jr., of Geneva and Leo J. of Cleveland, Miss.; and one sister, Mrs. Philip Essa, Portland Point, N. Y.

From Geneva Daily Times 23 December 1921

Frank Field Joslyn,
aged 72 years, died very suddenly this morning at the home of his son, Floyd M. Joslyn, East North street. He is survived by one son, Floyd M.; and one granddaughter. The funeral will be held Monday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock at East North Street, the Rev. E. H. Dickinson, officiating. Interment will be in Glenwood Cemetery.

From Neapolitan Record 28 October 1880

Mrs. C. L. Judd
died at Phelps on Friday, the 15th inst., and imposing ceremonies were held there and at Geneva.

From Geneva Gazette 27 September 1889

Sad Case of Suicide - Calvin L. Judd,
a well-known employee of the Clifton Springs Sanitarium, committed suicide by hanging himself at the residence of his brother, Erastus, at East Saginaw, Mich., on the 20th inst.  The particulars are given as follows:

About ten days ago he left for his brother's home in the West for the benefit of his health.  For a few days he seemed better.  Friday afternoon the family missed him but supposed he had gone down town.  As he failed to appear, search was made and the body was found hanging in the barn.  Life had already fled.  He was 68 years of age and had been subject to mental depression for about six years.  Several times during the summer he had expressed fears to his family that he might become deranged and attempt his life.  All this goes to show that the act was committed while he was irresponsible.  Mr. Judd had been in the employ of the Sanitarium Company for twenty-five years.

The deceased was the oldest son of the late Thomas Judd of Geneva, a well known mason, contractor and builder, who at one time owned and lived on the farm now the property and home of Mr. Wm. Wright on the Castle road.  He was one of several brothers, the others being as we remember them, Erastus, Otis G., Wm. A. and Levi J., all living except the last-named and the unfortunate suicide.  C. L. took the job some 25 or 30 years ago of enlarging the Sanitarium, and the favorable acquaintance and impression then made with and upon Dr. Foster led to his engagement in a permanent capacity at the Sanitarium.  He was found equal and faithful to every duty imposed upon him.  That institution, its managers and guests, will greatly feel the loss of his valued services.  His body was brought east and funeral held last Wednesday in his late residence in Clifton Springs.

From Geneva Daily Times 26 March 1909

Shortsville, N. Y. -
One of the oldest and most highly respected residents of this village, Edward Ansel Judd, died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Robert B. Peck, of Booth street, Wednesday afternoon. He was ill for three weeks and death was caused by pneumonia. For the past seven years the deceased made his home in this village. December 12, 1859, he was married to Miss Cornelia Yates, of Chittenango, whom he survived by only a few years. He leaves one son, Fred Judd of New York; one daughter, Mrs. Robert B. Peck of this village, and four sisters, Mrs. Ruth Campbell and Mrs. Helen Wallace of Independence, Ia., and Mrs. A. J. French and Mrs. Frank Van Antwerp of Oneida, N. Y.

From Geneva Daily Times 3 May 1905

Shortsville, N. Y. - Mrs. Edward A. Judd,
72 years old, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Robert B. Peck, in this village last evening. She had been ill for three years with paralysis. The deceased was formerly Miss Cornelia Yates of Chittenango and had lived in this village for about three years. She is survived by her husband, Edward A. Judd; one daughter, Mrs. Peck of this village; one son, Fred Judd of New York; two brothers, John G. and William Yates of Rochester, Mich., one sister, Mrs. John H. Walrath of Chittenango. A short prayer service will be held over the remains tomorrow afternoon at 5 o'clock. Burial will be at Chittenango.

From Democrat and Chronicle, Rochester, Monroe Co. NY, 22 May 1899

Death of Erastus T. Judd, Former Geneva Resident

Word has just been received in Geneva of the death of a former old and well known resident of the place which occurred last week at Saginaw, Michigan in the demise of Erastus T. Judd. Deceased was born in Geneva May 31, 1822, his father, Levi Judd, being of Scotch-Irish extraction. He received his education in Geneva and at the age of 23 became a building contractor. He afterwards went to Canada and took up contracting for the Great Western railroad, then went to Michigan and engaged in the same business, supplying wood for the Detroit & Grand Haven road. In the fall of 1864 he went to Saginaw, where he organized the First National Bank of that place. He remained in the banking and building business until a few years ago. He leaves a widow and two sons.

Thanks to Karen Dau for this contribution.

From Ontario County Journal 25 September 1885

Died, in South Bristol, September 16, Freeman W. Judd, aged 50 years. He was the son of Freeman Judd, Jr., and grandson of Rev. Freeman Judd, of Northeast, Erie Co. Pa. His mother, Mrs. Judd, married for her second husband, Mr. Sebastian Berner, and came to South Bristol in 1858, where he has resided since. His life has been one of truthfulness and virtue, and his memory was always exceedingly correct, even to the most intricate details. But he has gone to the great and holy Giver to join those awaiting him on the other shore, where there is rest forevermore.

From Geneva Gazette 3 April 1847

Sudden Death - Mr. Lev Judd,
an old and respected resident of this town, dropped down in the road, near his house about three miles from the village, on Wednesday last, and expired instantly.  He had just left his house to go to that of one of his neighbors.  A post mortem examination of the body was held on Thursday, and it was ascertained that his death was caused by disease of the brain.

From Geneva Courier 19 March 1873

The many friends of the family in Geneva and vicinity will be pained to note, under its appropriate heading this paper, the announcement of the death of the wife of our former fellow townsman, C. T. Judd, and that was Maggie Laidlaw, and daughter of our esteemed townsman, Walter Laidlaw, Esq.

From Geneva Daily Times 13 July 1896

Mrs. Margaret Judd
died of dropsy last evening at 7 o'clock at her home on Center street. The deceased was 53 years old and was a resident of this village for thirty years. The funeral services will be held tomorrow at 9 o'clock at St. Francis de Sales church. Interment will be made at St. Patrick's cemetery. Three daughters and one son survive her, Mrs. James Chapman and Miss Ella of Geneva, Miss Margaret of Rochester, and Martin of Geneva.

From Geneva Gazette 9 May 1873

The body of Patrick Judd was found in the slip between the Steamboat and Dakin's docks yesterday forenoon.  He has been missing since the night of the fatal railroad accident at Marsh Creek bridge.  He was last seen going down the tow-path to the scene of such accident.  It has been surmised that he straggled too near the water's edge and fell into the canal.  Repeated and diligent search has been made to find the body, without success, until it was brought to the surface and to notice yesterday by the motion of the steamer's wheels as she was about leaving her dock. Coroner Covert was notified immediately, who took charge of the body and held an inquest.  All the personal effects, including a little money, which the ill-starred man had on his person when he met his sad fate were found on the body. Having lain in the water so long - nearly six weeks - of course the features were much changed; but by a scar under one eye and by his clothing, he was readily identified. A verdict of accidental drowning was rendered.  The remains were interred yesterday afternoon.

From Ontario County Journal 13 July 1917

The funeral services of Mrs. Mary Judge, aged 75 years, whose death occurred at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Frank Freer, early last Friday morning, were held at St. Mary's church on Monday. She leaves besides her daughter, one son, Michael W. Judge, of Canandaigua. Interment was in Calvary Cemetery.

From Geneva Courier 18 June 1862

Mr. Joseph June, an old and respected citizen of Phelps, committed suicide, on Thursday morning last.  He has been for some time subject to fits of mental derangement, and has been in the Asylum at Canandaigua.

From Geneva Gazette 20 June 1862

We are deeply pained to announce the sudden demise of Joseph June, he having committed suicide last Thursday morning. He has subject to spells of mental ,aberration and a few weeks ago tried to take his life by hanging, but was discovered and cut down in time to frustrate his design.  Since then, he has been to the Asylum for Insane at Canandaigua, but appearing of sound mind was sent home.

Thursday morning he left home about or a little before five o'clock, and was seen to go into his store about half an hour later. Mr. June not coming home to breakfast, his wife became alarmed, and got Mr. Hubbell to go and find out what had become of him.  Mr. Hubbell proceeded to the store and found the door fastened, but found the key was in the lock on the inside. However, accompanied by Messrs. A. Bounds and J. H. Brown, he gained ingress by a side entrance, and not finding Mr. June in the store, commenced searching for him.  He was finally found by Mr. Bounds in an upper room, hung by the neck and dead ! He had fastened a rope to a beam overhead, got upon a stool, fastened the rope to his neck, and kicked the stool from under him.  When discovered his feet were about nine inches from the floor, and one of his hands was grasping the rope by the side of his neck, as if he had tried to save himself from the struggles of death.  Quite a number of persons gathered in the room, and about half-past seven his body was cut down by Dr. E. G. Carpenter and Mr. Charles Wormley. Mr. June was an old and respected citizen, and leaves a wife and a large circle of friends to mourn his untimely death.  Phelps Star

From Geneva Courier 2 April 1879

Mrs. Jupiter, an aged colored woman, and long a resident of Geneva, died on Sunday last, aged 83 years.  She was born in New Jersey, and for over fifty years has lived in Geneva.  During the time she has been a member of the Baptist church, to which she was strongly attached.  Mrs. Jupiter was a woman of unusual intelligence, good character, and was universally liked.  She had worked for many of our citizens, and was held in high esteem by all whom she met.  She left a daughter, Mrs. Foster.  The funeral took place from the Baptist church on Tuesday afternoon, Rev. Dr. Moore officiating.

Return to Ontario County Homepage

Copyright 2005-16 Ontario County NYGenWeb and each contributor and author of materials herein. All rights reserved.