"Hu" to "Hun" Obituaries

From Geneva Gazette 5 June 1833

Died, at Cohocton, Steuben county, on the 15th inst., of consumption, Mrs. Abigail Hubbard, in the 27th year of her age, wife of Mr. Salman Hubbard, merchant, and daughter of Mr. James Sears, formerly of this village. Her remains were brought to this place and the funeral attended at the Presbyterian meeting house. An appropriate discourse was delivered by Rev. Mr. Hubbard of Dansville, from 1 Cor. 7, 29-30. Those alone who have long and most intimately known Mrs. H. can appreciate her worth. Here were the unobtrusive excellencies of an amiable disposition, an affectionate heart, and an ardent, uniform and consistent piety. During a protracted and painful sickness, she was never known to betray the least impatience; but approached the grave with the same christian cheerfulness and fortitude which had characterized her happier days.

From Geneva Daily Times 18 April 1908

Mrs. Eliza Hubbard,
widow of the late Erastus Hubbard, died this morning at her home, No. 488 Exchange street. She was 88 years old. Her survivors are one son, Charles Hubbard, and one daughter, Mrs. W. E. Thompson. The funeral will take place Monday morning at 10:30 o'clock from the house and will be private. Rev. J. B. Hubbs, D. D., will officiate and burial will be made in Glenwood Cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 2 June 1909

Mrs. S. A. Hubbard
of this city died Saturday at the home of her sisters, Mrs. Harriet Furber and Mrs. Caroline Balch of Constantia, N. Y., after a short illness of pneumonia. The funeral took place on Monday morning and the remains were taken to Bridgeport, N. Y., for burial. The deceased is survived by one daughter, Mrs. F. H. Nichols of No. 152 Main street, with whom the deceased had lived.

From Geneva Advertiser Gazette 12 July 1906

Mr. T. S. Hubbard
of Genesee street died very suddenly last Thursday night. He had been about all day. No doubt it was a stroke of apoplexy. He was quite well-to-do, an extensive vineyardist, and we believe was the introducer of Niagara grapes in this section. He was strongly Republican, but given a great deal to temperance. He was so firm in his politics that he could see no good whatever in a Democrat. We heard him introduce a resolution once, however, calling for "non-partisan" committee, consisting of three Republicans and two Democrats. There were at one time some farmers in the towns near here who regretted that Niagara grapes were ever cultivated.

From Victor Herald 7 November 1891

On Friday afternoon last, Dr. Wm. A. Hubbard, of East Bloomfield, was found unconscious. All efforts to arouse him were in vain and Dr. Mead was summoned. He applied restoratives but the patient was beyond human aid and died at eight o'clock in the evening. The coroner was called and an inquest held on Saturday. The jury rendered a verdict of death from an overdose of morphine administered by his own hand. The deceased was a physician of ability and bright prospects and stood well in his profession. He was thirty-two years of age and leaves a father and one sister.

From Ontario County Journal 9 March 1894

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - Mrs. Delia Hubbell
died on Wednesday last at the home of her niece, Mrs. Henry M. Steele, with whom she had resided for some time. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. M. L. Stimson and the remains were taken to Canandaigua for interment. The deceased was 74 years of age.

From Geneva Gazette 23 April 1869

Massacred -
By a letter published in the Phelps Citizen of Friday last, it appears that Judge Jarvis Hubbell, brother of Geo. Hubbell, Esq., of Phelps, was murdered by the Indians in January last, whilst riding in a stage on the plains between El Paso and Fort Davis, Texas.  He was 52 years of age.

From Geneva Daily Times 16 November 1905

Canandaigua, N. Y. -
At her home on Main Street North yesterday morning occurred the death of Mrs. Mary Chapin, wife of Walter S. Hubbell. She had been in ill health for some time, but death at the end was sudden, and due to a weak heart. Mrs. Hubbell was the daughter of Spencer and Eliza Chapin, and was born in this village about 80 years ago. Her death breaks one of the few remaining links between the old and new Canandaigua. Her parents were of the oldest and most respected families who gave early Canandaigua such a marked distinction as an intellectual center. Mrs. Hubbell received her education in the Ontario Female Seminary, which lives now only in name. She married Walter S. Hubbell fifty-eight years ago. Of their five children, two survive, Henry S. Hubbell and Miss Minnie Hubbell, both of this village. Rev. Lewis T. Reed will officiate at the funeral services at 3 o'clock Saturday afternoon.

From Geneva Daily Times 12 October 1906

Mary Chapin Hubbell died at her home on Main street north on Tuesday, aged 66 years. She is survived by her father, Walter S. Hubbell.

From Geneva Daily Times 30 December 1909

Canandaigua, N. Y. - Walter Seymour Hubbell
died at his residence on North Main street at 6 o'clock yesterday morning at the age of 87 years. Death resulted from a stroke of apoplexy. He had been ill for several months. Mr. Hubbell was born at this place. He was the son of Walter Hubbell, a lawyer, who came here from Connecticut. His mother was a daughter of Oliver Phelps, one of the purchasers of the Phelps and Gorham Tract. W. S. Hubbell was a Democrat in politics and by profession was an attorney. He leaves but two grandchildren, Walter and Elizabeth Hubbell, both of this place.

From Geneva Daily Times 27 September 1906

John Huber
, aged 67 years, died last night at twelve o'clock at the home of Samuel S. Nagel, No. 308 Washington street. The deceased has resided in this city for the past thirty years and has been employed by Mr. Nagel. The funeral will take place tomorrow at 2:30 p.m. from Mr. Nagel's home. Burial will be in Glenwood.

From Geneva Daily Times 30 November 1906

Naples, N. Y. - John A. Huber
died suddenly yesterday morning at 3 o'clock. He came from Germany when 13 years old and enlisted in the New York infantry, Company G, 107th Regiment, July 29. 1862, and was discharged for disability February 17th, 1963. He joined Company G, Third New York Cavalry, July 15th, 1864, and was mustered out at the close of the war. He took part in the following battles: Antietam, Spottsylvania, Wilderness, Cold Harbor, Chickehomy, Manchester and Cedar Creek. He was a member of Bingham Post, G. A. R. He came to Naples in 1867 and planted a large vineyard. He was married to Mary Rhine the same year. Seven children survive him, John Louis, Edgar of Naples; Fred of Rochester; and Mrs. Charles McNeil and Margaret Huber of Naples, and Mary Merrell of California.

From Geneva Daily Times 26 August 1909

Mrs. Agnes Huck,
wife of Frank Huck, died suddenly this morning at about 8:30 o'clock at the family residence, No. 24 Courtland street. Death was due to acute indigestion and heart disease, from which she has suffered severe attacks. She was apparently in her usual health this morning and was about the house early and got breakfast. About 7:30 o'clock she was taken ill and Dr. C. D. McCarthy and Rev. S. V. McPadden were summoned as she was in critical condition. She rapidly grew worse and within an hour had passed away. She would have been 49 years old in October. She was born in Brockport. After her marriage she lived in Rochester for about fifteen years and for ten years has resided in this city. Besides her husband, she leaves one daughter, Miss Etta Huck, a son, Florenz Huck of this city; one sister, Mrs. T. H. Waterhouse of Rochester; two brothers, William Cunningham of Depew and John Cunningham of Brockport; her father, Patrick Cunningham of this city. Burial in St. Patrick's Cemetery.

From Shortsville Enterprise 6 July 1916

Oliver Hudnutt, of Shirley street, was instantly killed while working as yard conductor in the Lehigh Valley yards at Manchester about 6:15 o'clock on Saturday morning. The unfortunate man had just given an order to his engineer and passed over two tracks to attend to some cars that were being switched there. As he approached the cars he stumbled and fell, his head striking a column bolt on one of the cars. In falling to the ground, his head lay on the tracks and he was horribly crushed by the wheels passing over it, they striking him at the mouth. It is the belief of railroad men that he was dead before striking the rails, as some of his brains were later found on the column bolt. Coroner D. A. Eiseline was summoned and after viewing the remains ordered them removed to the undertaking rooms of J. M. Stoddard & Sons here. They were later removed to his home in Shirley street. An inquest will be held by the Coroner.

Oliver Hudnutt was born in Canada 43 years ago. He was also a resident of Mt. Pleasant, Mich., for some time, removing from that place to Shortsville about four years ago. He was married to Miss Mary Truax of Medina, on December 4, 1900. He was a member of the Brotherhood of Railway Trainmen, of Manchester, and of the Order of Moose of Canandaigua. The survivors are his wife and one young daughter, Miss Thelma Hudnutt, of this village; two brothers, Rev. J. E. Hudnutt of Belding, Mich., and Stephen Hudnutt of Mt. Pleasant, Mich., and one sister, Mrs. May Griffith, also of Mt. Pleasant. The funeral services were held from the family home on Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock, conducted by the Rev. E. S. Annable, pastor of the M. E. church. The services were in charge of the Trainmen Lodge of Manchester. The interment was made in Brookside cemetery in this village.

From Geneva Daily Times 14 October 1908

Canandaigua, N. Y. - Henry C. Hudson,
of Farmington, died yesterday morning at the Thompson Memorial Hospital. His age was 73 years. He leaves a brother, Joel Hudson, of Rome, N. Y.; a sister, of New Hartford, N. Y., and a nephew, W. C. Woodworth of Farmington.

From Geneva Gazette 17 August 1900

Sudden Death in Seneca -
Last Sunday Robert Hudson of Seneca was found dead in bed at his home one and one-half miles east of Hall's Corners.  He was 65 years old and is survived by two sons and four daughters.  A few particulars are given by the Courier: Dr. J. C. Robinson of Halls was immediately notified and he notified Coroner H. D. Weyburn of this city.  The Coroner proceeded at once to the residence of the deceased, where an autopsy was held.  The Coroner was assisted in the autopsy by Dr. Robinson and Dr. D. S. Allen of Number Nine.  The cause of death was given accordingly.  The funeral took place from Seneca Presbyterian church at 11 o'clock yesterday morning.  Rev. A. B. Temple officiated.  Interment was at Number Nine.

From Ontario County Journal 7 December 1883

Canadice, N. Y. - Mr. Allen Huff,
an old resident of this town, died quite suddenly on Thursday morning, Nov. 22d. He had been in usual good health for some time, until the Sunday previous he suffered a shock of paralysis and another the following Tuesday, from which he never realized anything. His funeral services were held at his residence on Sunday, and were attended by a large concourse of people from this and adjoining towns. Rev. S. M. Day, of Honeoye, conducted the services. His remains were interred in Lake View Cemetery, at Honeoye. Mr. Huff was much respected by all; a man of sound judgment, who had a kind word for all. A wife and three children mourn his loss.

From Ontario County Journal 14 January 1910

Richmond, N. Y. -
The death of Mrs. M. C. Huff at her home west of this village on Wednesday of last week, had been for weeks almost hourly expected. For the past three months she had been a patient sufferer. Mrs. Huff was about 75 years old, and was born and had lived her whole life in this town. She was the mother of four children, all of whom survive, Mrs. Clara Jackson of Buffalo; John Huff of Caledonia, and Andrew and Jefferson of this town. She had been for many years a member of the Congregational church and was an earnest, influential church worker. Her pleasant farm home was always open and all were welcome, and many is the pleasant social gathering to be recalled there. The funeral was held from her late home on Saturday, Rev. A. C. Dill officiating, with interment in the family lot in Lakeview.

From Ontario County Journal 23 September 1892

Honeoye, N. Y. - Makicous F. Huff,
whose illness was noted in last week's Journal, died on Tuesday evening, Sept. 13, aged 60 years. The burial certificate testified that his death was owing to typhoid fever, ending in pneumonia, though he had not been really well for several months. Mr. Huff was well-known throughout the county and his death is universally regretted. Friends from Buffalo, Rochester, East Bloomfield, Seneca Castle and Union Springs attended the funeral services which were held from his late home on Thursday at 3 p.m. The Rev. Mr. Day was the clergyman in attendance. Three sons, a daughter and his widow are left of his immediate family. The interment was in Lake View Cemetery, Honeoye. 

From Ontario County Chronicle 6 March 1901

Mrs. Margaret Huff, aged about 60 years, died at her home in Foster street last evening. She leaves a daughter and two sons.

From Geneva Daily Times 20 September 1904

Canandaigua, N. Y. -
The funeral of James Hughes, of Ontario street, who died Monday, was held this morning. The deceased was 70 years old and is survived by his wife, five daughters, Mrs. Edward Cone, Mrs. P. Fallon, and Misses Lizzie and Mary Hughes of this village, Miss Julia Hughes of Rochester, and one son, James Hughes of this village.

From Ontario County Journal 17 April 1891

Shortsville, N. Y. - Mrs. Patrick Hughes
died at her home in this place Saturday at 10 a.m. of old age. She had been confined to the bed about two weeks. Her age was 84 years. The funeral was observed in the Catholic church Monday morning.

From Ontario County Journal 11 October 1895

Naples, N. Y. - Legrand Hughson,
of South Bristol, died on Tuesday night, after an illness of years. He was about 60 years of age, and a man of prominence in his town. He had lived most of his life on the same farm where he died. He leaves two children and a widow.

From Geneva Gazette 19 March 1834

Died, at his residence in this town, on the 20th instant, Major John Huie, aged 62. In the last war, Major Huie (then a Captain) commanded a company of volunteer Militia in Gen. P. B. Porter's Brigade, and was one of the heroic defenders of Fort Erie during its memorable siege in 1814. In the Battle under the walls of the Fort, on the 17th Sept. of that year, he received a severe wound, from the effects of which he never entirely recovered. His country acknowledged his claims to the character of a brave warrior and patriotic citizen in days of trial and danger, and granted him a liberal pension. He closed his life at peace with his fellow men and with his Creator; and all admit he was among the noblest works of God, an honest man.

From Ontario County Chronicle 6 February 1901

Rushville, N. Y. - Wm. Huie,
who has been sick since last September, died suddenly of heart failure Sunday evening. Mr. Huie has all his life lived in this town or vicinity, and will be much missed. His first wife was Mary Sturdevant, whose brother, Eliphat Sturdevant, still resides here. They had four children, Mrs. James Thayer and Mary Huie of Penn Yan, Herbert and Hattie Huie of Springfield, Mass. About six years ago he married for his second wife Mrs. Mary Horton, who survives him. No arrangements for the funeral will be made until his children arrive.

From Ontario County Journal 8 June 1888

Rushville, N. Y. - Mrs. Wm. S. Huie died Sunday evening, June 3d, 1888, aged 47 years. She was seriously slick but a few days and her death is greatly mourned. For a long time she has been a faithful member of the M. E. church and has occupied a place in the choir for several years. She will be missed by her family and church. The friends have the sympathy of all.

From Geneva Gazette 18 August 1876

The funeral of Mr. John W. Huke, who died in Hopewell on the 15th inst., took place yesterday in Geneva. The cortege from the country was met by many sorrowing friends -- among them his brethren of the Masonic Lodge -- in the western suburbs of our village and escorted thence to the M. E. Church where appropriate services were held.  Deceased had been an active member of that church for many years, filling for a time most zealously and acceptably the responsible post of Sabbath School Superintendent.  When a few years ago he left us to enter upon business in Clifton Springs, he did not flag for a moment in his Christian work, but manifested the same devotedness there as here in the service of his Master.  The M. E. Clergy both of Geneva and Clifton were present at his funeral, and successively paid feeling and deserved tribute to his exalted worth as a Christian and in all the relations of family and with community.  He leaves a wife and one child.

From Victor Herald 5 February 1904

Mrs. Anson Hulbert
died at her home, southwest of this village, Saturday morning about nine o'clock after several months' illness. She was confined to her bed only a few weeks. Blood poisoning was the direct cause of death. Mrs. Hulbert was formerly Miss Flora Hunt and her death occurred on the forty-second anniversary of her birth at about the same hour. She was born in this town and had always resided here. Mrs. Hulbert is survived by her husband; four sons, Charles, Frank, Norman and Leslie; and a two-year-old daughter, Stata, all residing at the family home. She is also survived by her mother, who is 74 years of age, and seven sisters: Sarah Ann, who resides with the mother in this town; Carrie, wife of Edward Bristol, of this village; Mary, wife of John Jones, of Mendon; Melissa, wife of John Smith of Fishers; Mrs. Martha Dwyer of this place; Lillian, wife of Arthur Collins, and Mabel, wife of Orin Adams, both of this town; and six brothers, Stephen of Perinton; Allen E. of this town; John B. of Rockford, Mich.; Charles H., Ulysus G. and Thomas B. Hunt, all of Fishers. The funeral was held on Tuesday afternoon at two o'clock from the house. Rev. Frank W. Hill, pastor of the Presbyterian church, this village, officiated. Interment was had in Boughton Hill cemetery. Mr. Hulbert and his family have the sympathy of the entire community.

From Ontario County Journal 13 September 1895

Naples, N. Y. -
Another young mother was buried Tuesday, Mrs. Charles Hulburt, aged 25 years, who died one week after the birth of a child, leaving a husband and one other little child. Her home was in Springwater, just over the Naples line. Interment was in Hunt's Hollow cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 10 November 1882

Naples, N. Y. -
Another death of an old lady occurred on Wednesday of last week. Mrs. Edwin Hulburt, mother of John H. Hulburt, of this village, passed away at the good age of seventy-nine. She was prepared for death by an upright life. She was buried in Hunt's Hollow, beside her husband.

From Ontario County Journal 18 August 1899

Naples, N. Y. - Henry Hulburt
died on Thursday at his home in West Hollow of a cancer of which he had suffered many years. He was about 65 years of age.

From Ontario County Journal 2 February 1894

Naples, N. Y. - Lieutenant John H. Hulbert
died, after years of helplessness, on Saturday last, at the age of 51 years. His death is the direct result of his army disabilities and wounds. He was a member of Company K, 126 Reg., N. Y. Vols., of which company the lamented Charles Wheeler of Canandaigua was Captain. Lieutenant Hulbert was promoted from Corporal. He was with his regiment in all their hardships and battles until May, 1864, when, in The Wilderness, he was struck down by severe wounds. He was a native of Naples, the son of Edwin and Elizabeth Hulbert. He married, in 1881, Miss Flora Corwin, who has lovingly cared for him in these last years of feebleness. For four years he had required constant care, having lost, largely, the use of his limbs and the power of speech. Bingham Post, G. A. R., of this place, of which deceased was a member, attended the funeral in a body, on Tuesday, and Captain I. A. Seamans of the same company made a fitting address. Rev. E. G. Piper was the officiating clergyman.

From Victor Herald 6 October 1905

The death of Mark Hulburt, one of the oldest residents of Victor, occurred at his home, two miles west of this village, Thursday morning, at the age of eighty-six years. Death came as a result of a gradual wearing out of life's powers and not without warning for Mr. Hulburt had been noticeably failing for several years. He was an active, whole-souled, genial man, who enjoyed a large acquaintance and made friends wherever he went. His wife and four children survive: Mrs. Hester Davis of Kansas City, Mo.; Henry of Los Angeles, Cal.; Frank, of Shortsville; and George of Victor. The funeral will be held at the family home Sunday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock, Rev. F. W. Hill officiating.

From Ontario County Journal 25 October 1889

Rushville, N. Y. - Mr. William Hulburt
died very suddenly on Saturday morning at the age of 66 years. He went out of business last spring on account of failing health. He was on the street a short time before his death.

From Ontario County Journal 21 March 1890

Miller's Corners, N. Y. - Mr. H. C. Hull died March 7th, aged 71 years. His funeral was held on the following Sunday at the Quaker meeting house at Mendon Center. Mr. Hull was an upright man and a good citizen, and was highly respected by his neighbors and the community generally. He  leaves a widow and two sons, Arthur and Oscar.

From Geneva Daily Times 22 February 1909

Canandaigua, N. Y. - Daniel M. Hulse,
assistant postmaster of this village for over thirty years and a prominent member of the Grand Army of the Republic, died suddenly at his home Saturday night. He was found dead by members of his family shortly after he had retired for the night, at 9 o'clock. The cause of death is believed to have been heart disease. The deceased was 73 years of age, and was born in Orange county, New York. Mr. Hulse was at one time past junior vice-commander of the Department of New York, G. A. R. For several years he was commander of Albert M. Murray Post, G. A. R., in this village. He enlisted in the Civil War in Company A, Fiftieth Regiment of Engineers, as a private, and left the service as lieutenant. He served on the staff of General Burnham as aid. Mr. Hulse took an active part in Grand Army work, and was, also, active in municipal affairs. For two terms he was president of the village and served for two years as trustee of the village. He was appointed deputy postmaster by F. C. Chamberlain in 1878, and since that time had been absent from his duties only for a couple of days. He has lived in this village for over forty years. He was at his duties as usual Saturday, and seemed to be in good health and spirits. Mr. Hulse leaves his wife, two sons, Ferdinand, of Canandaigua, and William of Clifton Springs, and one grandson, William Farnham, of Canandaigua. 

From Ontario Republican Times 2 July 1862

Died, on the 23d of June, 1862, James Hulse, son of J. D. Hulse of Bristol. He joined a company of Artillery last fall, and left friends and home and united his future destiny with the thousands of other brave and noble sons who have gone forth to share in the dangers of the battlefield. When he arrived at Staten Island, he was taken ill, from which he never recovered. He suffered long and patiently. He often wrote to his father and mother comforting letters, expressing his hope of recovery; but if otherwise directed by Him who has the destinies of nations in his hands, he was ready to obey His call. His parents were fortunate in getting him home some eleven days before he died. His last moments were peaceful and happy. A large assembly of neighbors and friends attended his funeral, thus expressing their sympathy for the bereaved parents and brothers and one lonely sister. The funeral was attended by the writer and the consolations that the christian religion can give were tendered from the text. "For he taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes." The corpse was followed by a respectable procession, some thirteen miles, to his last resting place in South Bristol, where it will remain until the morn of the resurrection. 

From Ontario County Journal 8 December 1882

Victor, N. Y. - Mr. Abraham Humphrey,
for so long time a resident of Victor, died last week at the residence of his daughter, Mrs. Palmer, in South Norwalk, Conn. The remains were brought to this place for interment in the Boughton Hill Cemetery. The funeral occurred from the residence of Mrs. L. P. Miller, on Sunday. Services were conducted by Rev. Mr. Vibbert.

From Ontario County Journal 1 November 1895

Phelps, N. Y. - Mrs. Caroline Humphrey
died of consumption at her home on East Main street last Friday night, aged 62 years. The deceased survived her husband, the late Evans Humphrey, a little over four months. The funeral services were held from the residence last Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock, and interment made in the family plot on the farm near West Junius.

From Geneva Courier 28 May 1879

Mr. Charles Humphrey, of Oaks Corners, died very suddenly on Friday night, probably of heart disease.  He came into the house with some eggs in his hands, called to his wife to take them quickly, and fell to the floor.  He expired in half an hour.  The funeral took place on Sunday.  Mr. Humphrey leaves a wife and several children, all grown up.

From Geneva Gazette 30 May 1879

Sudden Death - Charles Humphrey,
a native, life-long and well-known resident of Phelps, died very suddenly last Friday evening, as is reported from a stroke of paralysis.  He survived the attack only about two hours.  He was a large, robust man about 50 years old, and to all appearances the embodiment of perfect health.  He had been twice married, by his first wife leaving several grown-up children.  His second marriage was consummated but a few years ago, which second wife remains to mourn the loss of a most excellent husband.  We prized the deceased as one of our most prompt and steadfast patrons.

From Geneva Daily Times 3 June 1920

Phelps, N. Y. -
The death of Dewitt C. Humphrey, occurred shortly after midnight yesterday morning, at his home in Church street, at the age of 59 years. He had been in failing health for several months but remained at work until about seven weeks ago. The deceased who was a son of the late Mr. and Mrs. A. J. Humphrey, was born in the eastern section of the town of Phelps October 1st, 1860, and had spent practically all his life in this community. For the last twenty-five years he had conducted a general trucking business in the village. Surviving relatives are his wife, a daughter, Miss Lettie of Phelps; a son, Maxwell J. Humphrey of Detroit, Mich.; three sisters, Mrs. Carrie Hunt of Phelps, Mrs. Claude Swan and Mrs. Leulla Shaw of Rochester, and a brother, Hugh J. Humphrey of Phelps. Funeral services will be held at the family home at 2:30 Friday afternoon and interment will be in Rest Haven cemetery.

From Ontario County Chronicle 30 April 1902

Phelps, N. Y. - Mrs. Earl Humphrey,
aged 50 years, died Friday morning, following a short illness of pneumonia. She is survived by her husband and three brothers, George, David and John White, all of this place.

From Victor Herald 15 December 1894

Thursday morning Hiram Humphrey came to this village to do some errands, get his mail, etc. A little after 11 o'clock he went into the public sitting room of the Victor House and chatted with a friend a few moments. When he arose to go out he fell to the floor, but got upon his feet and was assisted to a chair. It was seen that he was ill and he was taken to a room across the hall and laid on a couch. Dr. Jackson was summoned, and upon examination his condition was considered critical. Mrs. Humphrey was hastily summoned, but before she arrived he had relapsed into a comatose state from which he did not rally, and at 3 o'clock he quietly passed away. The physicians pronounced it a case of apoplexy. The remains were taken in charge by Mr. Curtice and removed to his late home during the evening.

Mr. Humphrey was one of Victor's most respected citizens. He was born in this town February 2, 1833, the son of Rufus Humphrey, who was one of the early settlers of this town, and the inventor of the threshing machine cylinder. Hiram received a good education in the country school and at the Clinton Liberal Institute. He was engaged in work for one of the railroads running out of Chicago for a short time, but returned to this town to care for his father's business. Nov. 7th, 1866, he was married to Sarah A. Miller, sister of our townsman, L. P. Miller. One child, a daughter, was born to them, who with her mother mourns a kind parent and husband. In politics Mr. Humphrey was a staunch Republican and he has served the town in the capacity of assessor and other town offices. He was a faithful attendant at the Universalist church, and contributed liberally of his time and means to its support. Besides his wife and daughter, he leaves two sisters and two brothers, Mrs. L. P. Miller, of this town, Mrs. Guy Collins, of Mertensia, Chas. I. Humphrey of Chicago, Ill., and Lucien M. Humphrey of Jamestown, Dakota. The funeral services will be held from his late home Sunday at 2 p.m. The services will be conducted by Rev. Mr. Bard.

From Victor Herald 19 May 1905

Ira Elmore Humphrey
died at his beautiful farm home on Boughton Hill, Saturday, May 13th. Mr. Humphrey was eighty-six years of age. He was the son of Luman and Philinda Dryer Humphrey and was born in Victor, where he spent his entire life.
Mr. Humphrey had been ill for many weeks, experiencing a general breakdown, due to old age. Many times he was at death's door, but the magnificent vitality which had made him one of the most active of men, resisted dissolution and renewed the battle for life. The end was peaceful, the tired body giving up from sheer exhaustion. For thirty years Mr. Humphrey lived upon the farm where he died, tilling it successfully. He was a member of the Methodist church and a staunch Republican, taking a lively interest in affairs of town and state, though he never held political office. He was an upright man and a good citizen who enjoyed the confidence and respect of all who knew him.

Mr. Humphrey's wife died some years ago, and he is survived by five daughters and four sons, Mrs. Wilbur Nelson, Victor; Mrs. Isaac Wells, Perinton; Mrs. Helen H. Holdridge, Honeoye Falls; Miss Mary L. Humphrey and Miss Harriet Humphrey, Victor; Luman H. and Otis L. of Honeoye Falls; Charles S., Canandaigua; and Ira Elmore Humphrey of Syracuse. The funeral services were held from the home Monday afternoon and interment made in Boughton Hill cemetery. Rev. Loren Stiles officiated.

From Victor Herald 8 April 1893

Mrs. Ira E. Humphrey died at her home on Sunday last. She had been in usual good health till about two weeks ago, and her death was quite unexpected. She was born in E. Boylston, Mass., about sixty-one years ago, but spent her early years in Wardsboro, Vt. While visiting friends in the west about forty years ago, she made the acquaintance of Mr. Humphrey, soon after they were married and came to live in this town which has been her home ever since. She was a member of the M. E. church here, and was quite active in church work till within a few years. Besides her husband, a family of nine sons and daughters survive her, Charlotta, Mary, Harriet, Leman, Ira E., Jr., and Mrs. Wilbur Nelson of Victor; Charles of Canandaigua; Otis L. Humphrey and Mrs. John Holdridge of Honeoye Falls. The funeral services were held Wednesday afternoon at 2 o'clock, Rev. R. W. Copeland, pastor to the Methodist Episcopal church officiating. The interment was at the Boughton Hill Cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 29 June 1908

Phelps, N. Y. - James Humphrey,
aged about 70 years, died Friday at his home on Jay street. He had been ill a long time with rheumatism. Mr. Humphrey was a native of Ireland but had lived in Phelps for the past forty years. He was a malster by occupation. His survivors are his widow, and two daughters, Mrs. Joseph Lynch and Mrs. Spencer Westfall, and a brother, John Humphrey, all of Phelps. The funeral took place this afternoon and the services were conducted by Rev. George A. Harvey, rector of St. John's Episcopal church.

From Geneva Daily Times 27 January 1910

Phelps, N. Y. - Mrs. Mary Humphrey,
widow of the late James Humphrey, died after a ten days' illness with pneumonia at her home on Jay street last night. Mrs. Humphrey was 68 years of age. She was born at Culimell, Tipperary county, Ireland, and in her early youth came to this country, locating in Phelps. For nearly fifty years Mrs. Humphrey occupied the home where she died. Surviving relatives are two daughters, Mrs. Joseph Lynch and Mrs. S. V. Westfall of Phelps; a sister, Mrs. Hannah Kent of this place and a brother, Lawrence Bresnahan of Cheyenne, Wyo. The funeral services will be held at St. Francis Catholic church Saturday morning.

From Geneva Daily Times 2 May 1922

Phelps, N. Y. -
The funeral of Mrs. Mary J. Humphrey, widow of the late Wellington Humphrey, whose death occurred Sunday evening at her home in East Main street, after a long period of illness, was held this afternoon. Interment was in Rest Haven Cemetery. Mrs. Humphrey, who was 65 years old, was born in Phelps and had always lived in this community. Survivors are a daughter, Mrs. Harold Higgs of Canandaigua, and one son, Grover Humphrey of Geneva.

From Ontario County Times 17 January 1877

Phelps, N. Y. - Mr. Oliver Humphrey,
who lived near the Five Points, met with a very sudden death last Friday, Jan. 5, It seems that Mr. Humphrey was in the woods chopping, with his son-in-law, when a falling limb struck him on the neck, breaking his neck and killing him almost instantly.

From Ontario Repository & Messenger 15 March 1871

Unavoidable delay in procuring the necessary facts has prevented us from noticing earlier the decease of Mr. Rufus Humphrey, one of the oldest and most respectable citizens of Ontario County. He died on the 25th ult., at his residence in Victor, in the seventy-sixth year of his age, being stricken insensible, almost with the suddenness of a thunderbolt, by that disease so common in modern times -- paralysis. Mr. H. was born in Goshen, Litchfield county, Ct., whither his father removed to Vermont when he was quite young. In 1818, the subject of this sketch being then 28 years of age, and ambitious to seek his fortune in the promising region of Western New York, came to Ontario county, where he engaged in coopering, and subsequently in the manufacture of plows and grain cradles. In 1820 he made his first purchase of land in Victor. A short time after he invented and perfected the first threshing machine working on the cylinder principle, on which he procured letters patent. He prosecuted the manufacture of these machines, and put a large number in operation, which continued to be used by farmers for a long time, ever after the separator came into use. After operating in this enterprise for a time, he purchased additional tracts of land, and devoted his undivided attention to agriculture, in which occupation he continued up to the time of his death. He was the father of a large family, seven of whom survive him. Mr. Humphrey was a man of untiring energy, unswerving integrity, and active in all matters of public concern. His death, though occurring at an age prolonged somewhat beyond the allotted term, and when little more could be reasonably expected from him, is deeply regretted by the community in which he has so long been one of the most valued members. Roch. Union

From Geneva Daily Times 9 January 1907

Otto L. Hungerbuhler,
who for the past forty years has been superintendent of the Glenwood cemetery, died yesterday afternoon at 3:30 o'clock at his late home on Pulteney street. The deceased was born in Switzerland in 1837 and by occupation was a civil engineer. When Glenwood was first opened as a cemetery in 1873, the cemetery commissioners appointed Hungerbuhler as sexton, which position he has held ever since until a year ago when he suffered a stroke of paralysis. Then the commissioners appointed Thomas F. Day as an assistant. It is through Mr. Hungerbuhler's untiring effort that the cemetery has been so beautifully laid out and adorned. He was very faithful and very proficient. The funeral services will be held tomorrow afternoon at 3:30 o'clock and Rev. C. M. Sills, D. D., rector of Trinity church will officiate. The burial will be in charge of the cemetery commissioners, who have selected a special lot in which to make the interment.

From Ontario County Journal 22 February 1878

Bristol, N. Y. -
The funeral of James G. Hunn, oldest son of Nathan Hunn, was attended in the Universalist church at this place, on Tuesday of last week.  The very large congregation present on that occasion attested in stronger terms than words can do the deep sympathy felt by the whole community for the bereaved parents and friends.  The funeral services were conducted by Rev. J. F. Gates, assisted by Rev. Mr. White, of Branchport, and Rev's Dewey and Chandler of Bristol Center.  Mr. Thomas Hunn of Bristol Center found on his return home from the funeral of his brother's son, a letter notifying him of the death of his own oldest son, who had died suddenly a few days before at Cedarville, Kansas.  How truly is it said that "in the midst of life, we are in death."

From Victor Herald 3 October 1902

Bristol, N. Y. -
The death of Mrs. Nathan Hunn, of Canandaigua, occurred at the home of her son, Frank, last Friday. The death was very sudden, being due to a shock of paralysis. She is survived by one son, Frank, and one daughter, Mrs. William Pierce. The funeral was held at her late home on Sunday at 2 p.m. Rev. F. F. Buckner, pastor of the Universalist church (of which the deceased was a member) officiated. Burial was made here in the Evergreen cemetery.

From Ontario County Chronicle 9 April 1902

Thomas M. Hunn
died at his home in Bristol Center, April 2, 1902, aged 79 years. Mr. Hunn was born in the town of Canandaigua, Aug. 28, 1822. He came to this town when young and always resided here. He was married to Fanny P. Gregg, Nov. 15, 1846, and was one of the prominent farmers of the town in his younger years and always active in what contributed to the best interest of the town. He was educated at Canandaigua Academy and at the Lyceum at Geneva and was much interested in the advancement of education. He had been in poor health for a number of years and for the past year confined to the house. Although the father has gone the consoling thought of the son and family must be that they administered to his every want and faithfully cared for him in his lingering illness.

From Geneva Daily Times 1 April 1896

The funeral of George D. Hunt, who died on Monday, was held from the family residence on Genesee street at two o'clock this afternoon. Interment was made in Glenwood.

From Ontario County Chronicle 14 September 1904

Victor, N. Y. -
Mrs. Charles W. Hunt, died last Thursday morning, Sept. 8, at her home near Fishers, after a several months' illness. She was 75 years old. Mrs. Hunt was formerly Martha Baldwin, and was born in Pittsford. The funeral was held Sunday afternoon at the house. Rev. F. W. Hill of the Victor Presbyterian church officiated. The remains were taken to Pittsford and interred in the cemetery there. Thirteen children survive: Mrs. E. C. Bristol, Mrs. Arthur Collins, Mrs. Martha Dwyer, Victor; Mrs. Orin Adams, Mrs. John Smith, Miss Sarah Ann Hunt, Fishers; Mrs. John Jones, Mendon; Stephen of Perinton; John B. of Michigan; Allen and Charles of Victor; and Ulysses and Thomas of Fishers.

From Ontario County Journal 10 February 1882

Manchester, N. Y. - Micajah Hunt
died at the residence of his son-in-law, Mr. Luther Rice, Sunday night, aged 77 years.

From Geneva Daily Times 18 August 1902

Peter Hunt
died at Hunt's Hollow, near Naples, Saturday, Aged 73 years.  The deceased is survived by a wife, three sons and two daughters.

From Ontario County Times 30 December 1874

Victor, N. Y. -
The funeral of Mrs. Ransom Hunt was attended at the Universalist Church last Sabbath at 2 p.m.

From Geneva Daily Times 4 February 1905

Mrs. Sibyl A. Hunt,
seventy-one years of age, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. August L. Buchholz, No. 67 Madison street, at 8:40 o'clock last evening, after an illness of about two weeks. Mrs. Hunt was the widow of Alfred Hunt of Varick, who died twenty-five years ago. She had lived in Geneva eleven years, making her home with her only child, Mrs. Buchholz. The funeral will be held from the house Monday afternoon at 4:30. Rev. W. W. Weller, assisted by Rev. J. W. Jacks, will officiate. Burial will be in Glenwood.

From Ontario County Chronicle 16 January 1901

Manchester, N. Y. - Volney Hunt, an old man, 63 years of age, who had been troubled with heart failure for several years, was found dead on Thursday morning near the Lehigh track on the back road leading from this place to Shortsville. Mr. Hunt had been at Shortsville on Wednesday evening and started to return to his home about 9 o'clock, and it is thought that he must have been dead about twelve hours when found. Deceased is survived by a wife in feeble health, one son and two daughters. The funeral was held from his late home at 11 o'clock on Saturday morning, Rev. M. W. Covell officiating; remains interred at Clifton Springs.

From Geneva Daily Times 12 April 1904

Shortsville, N. Y. - Mrs. Volney Hunt,
sixty, died at her home in Manchester yesterday morning, after a lingering illness of several months duration. Her husband died two years ago. She is survived by two daughters, Miss Blanche and Mrs. Maud Snedeker, both of Manchester, and one son, Micajah V. Hunt, of Shortsville. The funeral will be held tomorrow afternoon at two o'clock. Burial in Clifton Springs.

From Ontario County Journal 1 February 1895

North Bloomfield, N. Y. - Mrs. W. R. Hunt,
who has been in poor health some time, died at her residence, Friday, at 1 o'clock. She is survived by a husband and two daughters to mourn the loss of a kind and loving wife and mother. She was one of eight sisters, six of whom are living. She was well-known in the place, and loved by all who knew her. Much sympathy is expressed to the relatives by all. Funeral services were held at the house Sunday afternoon, at half past 2 o'clock.

From Ontario County Chronicle 23 October 1901

Willam Hunt, a native of England, but for forty-four years a resident of this country, died at the home of his son, Willam, two miles north of Phelps, early yesterday morning, in his seventy-eighth year. A wife, one son, and one daughter, Mrs. Myron Crandall, all of Rochester, survive.

From Geneva Daily Times 16 October 1897

The funeral of Wilson G. Hunt, whose death occurred Thursday as the result of a lamp explosion, will be held Sunday morning at ten o'clock, from his late residence. The remains will be taken to Romulus for interment. The funeral party will leave the city by the 11 o'clock Lehigh Valley train.

From Geneva Daily Times 19 October 1916

The body of Thomas Hunter, aged 71 years, who died yesterday at his home in Buffalo, was brought to Geneva this afternoon. He is survived by his wife, who accompanied the body here. Funeral services were held this afternoon at Whitney Cemetery, where interment was made. Rev. A. B. Temple of Number Nine church officiated. Mr. Hunter had been a motorman on the trolley road in Buffalo for 32 years.

From Ontario Messenger 20 March 1861

In this village, March 15th, of heart disease, Walter H. Hunter, in the 64th year of his age. Mr. H. was born in Dumfrieshire, Scotland, 1797, and came to this country in 1829, and to this village 1836, having resided here for the past twenty-five years. He was a carpenter by trade, a man of sterling integrity and uprightness, a kind neighbor, a good man, and faithful citizen. He was a kind father and an indulgent husband, and leaves a wife and five children in affliction by this bereavement to look forward in time to a final reunion beyond this vale of tears.

From Geneva Daily Times 9 May 1904

Mrs. Anne Huntington,
one of the oldest persons in the city, died at 5 o'clock yesterday morning at the Hygienic institute, aged ninety-five years. The deceased was born at Fishkill-on-the-Hudson, where she spent her early days. Her married life was spent in Adrian, Mich., whence she came to this city twenty-two years ago. She lived until recently at No. 28 Genesee street. She is survived by one son, William Huntington of Philadelphia; one daughter, Miss Annie Huntington of this city. The funeral took place at 4 o'clock this afternoon from the Sanitarium. Rev. C. E. Jewell officiated, assisted by Rev. N. B. Remick, D. D. The remains were taken on an afternoon train to Adrian, where the burial will take place.

From Ontario County Journal 7 January 1898

Shortsville, N. Y. - 
On Monday morning at 3 o'clock occurred the death of Jeremiah Huntington, an aged and respected citizen of this village. His death was due to pneumonia after a week's illness. The funeral obsequies were held on Wednesday at 2 p.m. from his late residence on Grove street, and were conducted by the pastor of the M. E. church, Rev. H. A. Crane.
H. O. Klinck, Mrs. Clarence Heath, Mrs. Fred Titus and Seward Furner furnished the music. He was laid to rest in Brookside Cemetery. He leaves, besides a widow, several children and a large number of relatives and friends.

From Ontario County Times 1 May 1878

North Bloomfield, N. Y. - Mr. Robert Huntington
died at his residence, in this place, last Wednesday. He was over 87 years of age, and was the oldest resident here. He had lived here some sixty years. His funeral was held yesterday afternoon at the Universalist church.

From Ontario County Times 3 May 1882

North Bloomfield, N. Y. -
The funeral of Mrs. Robert Huntington was largely attended last Saturday at the Universalist church. She was seventy-five years of age and had been a resident here for nearly fifty years. Her maiden name was Fanny Tucker. Her only brother attended the funeral.

From Ontario County Journal 24 August 1894

Cheshire, N. Y. - Mrs. Cornelia Huntley
died at her home Saturday night at the age of 65 years. The funeral services were held at the church Monday afternoon at 3 o'clock. Rev. W. H. Ward conducted the services, taking for his text, "Precious in the sight of the Lord, is the death of His Saints," Mrs. Huntley was born in Albany county in 1829; was married to Mr. Huntley in 1851; her husband died in 1863. She has surviving her three brothers and one sister.

Ontario County Journal 21 December 1883

Fred Huntley
died at his residence in Miller's Corners, Friday, Dec. 14, of enlargement of the liver and congestion of the lungs. He was a member of the A. O. U. W. of Miller's Corners Lodge, and was buried by that order, Rev. A. W. Hayes of Honeoye Falls officiating. His family have the sympathy of all who know him. A wife and three daughters mourn the loss.

From Victor Herald 17 August 1900

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - George W. Huntley,
an aged resident of this town, died Sunday morning, after a very brief illness, at the age of eighty-one years. He had not been feeling well for some days, but able to about as late as Saturday evening, and the notice of his death Sunday morning was a great surprise to all. He is survived by his wife, one son, George, of Waterloo, Iowa, and two daughters, Ida and Susan, residents here. Funeral services were held at his late home Tuesday afternoon, Rev. L. A. Stevens officiating.

From Ontario County Journal 17 March 1893

Cheshire, N. Y. - Mrs. Polly Huntley
died last week Wednesday and was buried in the Cheshire cemetery by the side of her husband, Rev. J. M. Langworthy officiating. She leaves one son, Austin C. Huntley, and a large circle of relatives to mourn her loss. She was 74 years of age, and universally respected. The bereaved family have the sympathy of the entire community.

From Ontario County Journal 8 June 1894

Port Gibson, N. Y. - Frank C. Hunton,
who died at Shortsville last week, was buried in the cemetery at this place. He was a member of Maple Lodge, No. 505, I. O. G. T., and the burial service of that order was used, four of the members acting as bearers.

From Ontario County Times 29 June 1864

Lieut. Asbrah Huntoon - On Thursday, June 16th, the people of Port Gibson, and many for miles about us, gathered to pay the last honors due this fallen soldier, not the last honors really, for we shall never cease to honor the memory of those who fall in defence of our county. Their names shall be reverently spoken. Lieut. H. enlisted as a private in the 126th regiment in August 1862. That call came with peculiar force to our section, for we gave largely and the best we had. The regiment was sent to Harper's Ferry, engaged there, under Col. Miles, was captured, paroled and sent to Chicago. While there, and after their exchange and return south, the following winter, Lt. H. filled the office he was promoted and received a commission as 2d Lieut., which he held until after the battle of Gettysburg, when he became 1st Lieut., and for some months before his death acted as Aid-de-Camp to Gen. Owen. His blood has been given to the altar fire of our country and may God bless this sacrifice. He fell June 5th, shot through the right lung, and lived but a few hours. His body was embalmed and sent home accompanied by his servant, arriving at Clifton before his friends had received the least intimation that he was wounded. His funeral services were of a military character, under the direction of Capt. Hiram Schutt of the 148th regiment.

Return to Ontario County Homepage

Copyright © 2004-10, Ontario County NYGenWeb and each contributor and author of materials herein. All rights reserved.

Updated 6 August 2010