"Hor" through "Hoz" Obituaries

From Ontario County Times 2 November 1881

Shortsville, N. Y. - James O. Hore, Jr.,
died at the residence of his father near this place, Saturday, the 29th inst., at 7 o'clock p.m., of rheumatism of the brain. The remains were taken to Auburn today for interment.

From Geneva Gazette 1 March 1901

The death of Edward Horn occurred Wednesday morning at the City Hospital, aged 53 years.  Mr. Horn has been a resident of Geneva for 30 years.  He lived with his daughter, Mrs. Wm. Chilson, of Castle street, where the remains were taken and from where the funeral will be held at 3 o'clock tomorrow afternoon.  His widow, daughter, and four sons survive him.

From Geneva Daily Times 26 July 1905

Theodore Horn,
a well-known resident of the city, died at the home of his sister, Mrs. W. Chilson, in Castle street yesterday, aged 36 years. The cause of death was throat trouble with which Mr. Horn has been ill for a little over a week. The deceased is survived by his mother, Mrs. Mary Horn, three brothers, Henry Horn, and Charles Horn, of this city, and Edward Horn, of Syracuse, and one sister, Mrs. W. Chilson. The funeral will be held at 4 o'clock tomorrow afternoon.

From Geneva Daily Times 28 October 1910

Phelps, N. Y. -
The death of Mrs. Rose Hornbeck, a resident of Phelps for the past forty-five years, occurred yesterday at the home of her brother, William Leroy, three miles northeast of Phelps, after an illness of six months. Mrs. Hornbeck was born near Lyons 56 years ago. She came to Phelps with her parents at an early age and ever since had made this place her home. Many years ago, Mrs. Hornbeck united with the Phelps Methodist church. She leaves two sons, William of Phelps, and Elmer of Seneca Falls; three sisters, Mrs. Charles Ridley of Phelps, Mrs. Byron Morris of Newark and Mrs. Charles Wright of Manlius; also one brother, William Leroy of Phelps. The funeral services will be held tomorrow afternoon at 2 o'clock and will be conducted by Rev. William H. York of the M. E. church.

From Ontario County Journal 2 August 1895

Phelps, N. Y. - Wells Hornbeck,
a prominent and prosperous farmer living in the northern part of the town, died last week Tuesday, after an illness of six months, caused by rheumatism and old age. He is age was 77 years. A wife, son and three daughters survive. The funeral services were held at the late residence last Friday afternoon and interment made in South Lyons Cemetery.

From Geneva Courier 29 April 1874

On Thursday of last week another of our citizens, and one who had but recently made his home among us, was called from our midst "to the pale realms of shade," and was borne in sadness and in silence to his last resting place, the City of the Dead.  Chase B. Horton came to Geneva in August last, with his son-in-law, Mr. Lockie, purchasing of Mr. Herrick the Mill property on Castle St.  Mr. Horton was a practical miller and had for years devoted his attention to improvements on mill machinery.  Immediately upon taking possession, the mill was thoroughly overhauled as we have previously mentioned, and some of Mr. Horton's improvements put into it.  Mr. Horton patented no less than seven inventions and was constantly studying something new.  He was an earnest, energetic man, industriously seeking to benefit the world.

Mr. Horton, was a native of Vermont, but removed in his youth to this state, and was for many years a resident of Elmira, whence he removed to Waterloo.  For some months his health had been failing and he had been confined to the house for several weeks before his death.  He was a good neighbor, a faithful friend, kind and generous husband and an affectionate and loving father.  He was 63 years and one day old.  He leaves a wife and family of four children.

From Ontario Repository & Messenger 1 November 1871

Mr. Cornelius Horton, an old and highly respected citizen of Phelps, met with a sudden and fatal accident at that village last Saturday afternoon. It appears that during the afternoon Mr. Hamilton McBurney and Mr. Norman Rockefeller, Road
Commissioners, called at the Phelps Hotel and invited Mr. Horton to accompany them to the new paper mill, now being erected near the village. The three were in a buggy, and had gone but a short distance north of the Hotel, when in descending a hill the horse took fright and started on a run, turning the buggy over, and throwing the occupants out. Mr. Horton in falling struck heavily on his head, knocking him senseless. Mr. Rockefeller was somewhat bruised, but not seriously, and Mr. McBurney escaped injury. Mr. Horton was carried to his room at the hotel in an unconscious state, and remained so until his death, which occurred on Sunday morning. Mr. Horton was a prominent citizen of Phelps, and for many years was in the mercantile business, but of late has devoted his time to farming, and several times represented that town in the Board of Supervisors. He was a bachelor, and was 67 years of age last August. His funeral took place at the Methodist Church, and was largely attended.

From Geneva Daily Times 7 July 1904

Dudley J. Horton,
the fifteen-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles S. Horton, of Halls Corners, died yesterday at the home of his parents. Beside his parents, he is survived by two brothers, Samuel C. Horton of Clifton Springs, and C. W. Horton of Halls Corners, and four sisters, Lillian M. Horton of Syracuse, and Misses Dora E., Anna B. and Bessie Horton of Halls Corners. The funeral will take place at 1 o'clock tomorrow afternoon from the home, Rev. A. B. Temple officiating. Burial will be in Number Nine cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 12 March 1897

A sad death occurred in the town of South Bristol on Sunday morning, when Elisha Horton, an aged veteran of the war, who was with Sheridan in his memorable campaigns, succumbed to neglect and exposure. The feeling of the better class of citizens of the town runs high against those who were responsible for the sad condition of the old soldier, and the story of his last few days is calculated to arouse indignation in the minds of all. The old man died at his home near the town house, which is situated between Bristol Springs and Bristol Center. A permit for burial was asked of Dr. McDowell, who refused it. Coroner Partridge of East Bloomfield, was therefore called and impanelled a jury. The verdict of the jury was that Mr. Horton died from pneumonia, superinduced by neglect and exposure, and severely censured, Eastman, Mrs. Carnahan and Miss Case, who are leaders in the religious sect known as the "Holy Rollers." As has been related in the The Journal, from time to time, these people have been conducting religious services in the western part of the county for many months, making their principal headquarters in the town of South Bristol. In his enfeebled condition of mind, Mr. Horton finally became a convert to their peculiar belief, and was known as one of their flock. Among their tenets is one that they have direct power from God, and the leaders claim to exercise it at will. They will not allow the members of their congregation or organization to consult a physician, no matter how ill they may be, claiming that they can cure all forms of disease by the simple practice of "the laying on of hands." When the old soldier was stricken down with pneumonia, they took charge of the case, keeping him isolated from every one in the community except the anointed ones of the "Holy Rollers." The dread disease, which often baffles the skill of the most expert physicians, did not succumb to the magic touch of these zealots, and the spark of life in the gallant old soldier, who had served his country on many a battlefield, burned lower and lower, until, at last, it flickered out entirely as the cold and exposure got in their final deadly touches. Mr. Horton was 76 years of age and had been sick some three weeks before his death. His two son were summoned on Wednesday, but only one of them succeeded in reaching his bedside. The feelings of a majority of the citizens of that community have been growing stronger and stronger against this so-called religious sect. It is not unlikely that serious trouble may occur if their meetings are continued for any length of time. Their religion is not the religion of Christ, for their principal practice seems to be to excite hatred and malice. Their leaders blasphemously claim to be in direct communication with God, and to have the power of transmitting his wishes and orders to frail mortals. They accordingly hold a most despotic sway over their followers, and it is alleged that it is not always used to further the interests of justice and humanity. They forbid their followers to associate with other Christians and in this manner their personal influence grows more potent as time progresses. Of course, it is only the more ignorant members of the community who fall into their clutches, but that very fact makes them the more dangerous. It is related that while the Rev. Mr. Anthony of Naples was recently delivering a temperance sermon at that place, he was informed that the "Holy Rollers" were holding a meeting. At the conclusion of his discourse, he stepped over to the building where they were in session. Strangers were asked to make known their experiences, and Mr. Anthony proceeded to make a few inoffensive remarks. Eastman pointed the finger of scorn at him and exclaimed, "Anthony, you are going straight to h_ll, together with all your followers." Needless to say, the reverend gentleman was much astonished at the startling information that was thus hurled at his head. The good citizens of the town feel deeply humiliated by such proceedings, but seem powerless to check them. Advice, counsel and pleadings seem to have no effect on those who become imbued with their peculiar forms of belief. Time may work out its own remedy, but it seems to many that it is exceedingly slow in accomplishing its purpose.

From Ontario County Journal 23 December 1910

West Bloomfield, N. Y. -  George Horton,
a prosperous farmer living about two miles south of this village, died Tuesday morning from the effects of a dose of paris green taken the night before with suicidal intent. Dr. H. B. White of Honeoye Falls was called and did everything he could for him but without avail. Mr. Horton had been drinking heavily and had grown despondent. He had at times for years been addicted to drink and on two other occasions had tried to take his life. The deceased was about 45 years of age and leaves a wife and six children, a mother, one sister and two half-brothers. The funeral was held from his home yesterday, Rev. Charles Hamblin officiating. Interment was in the Rural cemetery.

From Victor Herald 4 February 1893

Mrs. Lillie Harrington Horton
, daughter of Byron and Susie Harrington, was born Feb. 1st, 1867, in the town of Lenox, Madison Co., N. Y., and died Jan. 25 1893. When quite young she moved with her parents to Monroe Co., N. Y., where lived two and one-half years, thence coming to Victor, Ontario Co., N. Y., where she spent most of her life excepting two years in Indiana. She was converted and joined the M. E. church under the pastorate of Dr. A. Purdy in August, 1885. She was one of Victor's bright, beautiful girls, and endeared herself to all who were permitted to know her, by her kindly bearing and sweet christian spirit. She was married to Coe C. Horton, by her pastor, Rev. A. Purdy, July 10th, 1886. She died of consumption after a protracted illness. Lillie was a faithful and true wife, a good neighbor and kind friend. Her death was like going to sleep after the evening prayer and "good night" benediction had been given to those she loved best on earth. Let us meet her in the "sweet by and by" to part no more. The funeral was held last Saturday afternoon in the M. E. church of this village, the pastor, Mr. Copeland, conducting the service.

From Geneva Daily Times 18 April 1910

Shortsville, N. Y. - 
The death of John Hosey, a well-known resident of the Town of Farmington, occurred at his home in that place yesterday forenoon after a short illness. He was 86 years of age and was born in County Tipperary, Ireland. Fifty-five years ago he came to this country, and almost all the time since he had spent in Farmington. He leaves one daughter, Mrs. John Curran of Victor, and several nieces and nephews. The funeral will be held at 10:30 o'clock tomorrow morning at the Catholic church in Macedon and interment will be made in Macedon cemetery.

From Shortsville Enterprise 26 November 1914

Mrs. Margaret Dailor Hosey,
aged 72 years, died last week Thursday at her home in Farmington, after an illness of four weeks. She was the widow of Michael Hosey, who died several years ago. Mrs. Hosey was one of eleven children and the eldest born to Mr. and Mrs. Patrick Dailor, who were among the early settlers locating in the town of Farmington. Mrs. Hosey spent the seventy-two years of her life in that locality. Five children survive her, one daughter, Mrs. Augustus Yahn of Manchester, and four sons, James of Manchester, and Thomas, John and William, all of Farmington; also four sisters, Miss Mary Dailor of Canandaigua; Mrs. Luke Doyle, of Wayneport, N. Y.; and Miss Bridget M. Dailor and Mrs. Ella Cahill, both of Farmington; besides several nieces and nephews.

From Ontario County Chronicle 6 May 1903

Richard Hosey,
formerly of Rushville, but for some years past a resident of this place, died at his home in Center street Thursday, aged about 54 years, after a severe stroke of paralysis that attacked him on Monday previous. He is survived by the widow, one son, Neill Hosey, and one daughter, Miss Mary Hosey. The funeral was held from St. Mary's church on Monday morning.

From Geneva Daily Times 26 September 1906

Phelps, N. Y. - The death of Mrs. Cornelia Hosford occurred at her home on East Main street Monday night. Her death was the result of a stroke of paralysis with which she was stricken a few days ago. Mrs. Hosford was seventy-five years of age. She was born in the town of Arcadia, but had lived in this village for the past fifty years, thirty years of which she was a teacher in the Phelps High School. Mrs. Hosford has a large circle of acquaintances and friends, especially with those whom she had met as students at the school. Her character was of exceptional beauty and she was beloved by all. Mrs. Hosford is survived by one son, M. A. Hosford, and one daughter, Mrs. Charles Garlock, both of Phelps. The funeral will be held Thursday afternoon at two o'clock. The remains will be buried at Pine Wood cemetery.

From Geneva Courier 4 June 1862

Mr. John B. Hosford,
of Phelps, died suddenly on the morning of Monday the 26th inst.  The cause of death was a carbuncle on the back of his neck.  He was elected collector of the town of Phelps at the last spring election.

From Victor Herald 15 April 1904

Bristol, N. Y. -
Last Monday evening, Lewis Hotailing, a man who has occupied the Charles Mather house for some time, was found by a neighbor who had missed him during the day, lying unconscious on the floor. Other neighbors were called at once and a doctor sent for, who pronounced it a congestive shock. Death occurred on Wednesday. The deceased was a stranger here and apparently without kin. Burial was made on Friday by the town in the Vincent cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 25 November 1892

Bristol Center, N. Y. -
The funeral of Mrs. Adelbert Hotchkiss, who died on Monday, was held on Wednesday. She leaves a husband and three children, besides other relatives and friends to mourn her loss.

From Ontario County Journal 3 March 1899

Bristol Center, N. Y. - Albert Hotchkiss
died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Mark Francis, on Thursday, Feb. 23, aged 83 years. In his death the town loses one of the old residents. He was born in the town of Canandaigua, but had lived in the town of Bristol many years. He is survived by one daughter and three sons.

From Ontario County Journal 12 February 1892

Bristol Center, N. Y. -
The funeral of Mrs. Amanda Hotchkiss was largely attended on Sunday morning at the Methodist Church, conducted by Rev. Mr. Kerr. Some 6 weeks ago she received a fall, from the effects of which she did not recover. She was a member of the Congregational Church for nearly fifty years, having spent the most of her life in this town.

From Ontario County Journal 26 February 1909

West Bloomfield, N. Y. -
Sunday morning, Feb. 21, occurred the death of Henry Hotchkiss, of this village, after a few days of illness from pneumonia. Mr. Hotchkiss was the son of Agustus and Lucinda Gardner Hotchkiss, and was the youngest of ten children. His mother, Lucinda Gardner, was the first white female child born in this town, Sept. 1791. The deceased was born on June 22, 1836, and in 1862 was married to Miss Lorretta Olmstead of Bristol, who died 14 years ago. He leaves one brother, John Hotchkiss, and one sister, Mrs. Mary Southgate, of this town, and three children, William of Canandaigua; George of East Bloomfield; and Mrs. Bessie Nudd, of this place. The services were conducted by Louis Wilson at the Congregational church on Tuesday afternoon. The interment was in the Rural cemetery.

From Geneva Courier 23 October 1861

Fatal Accident -
A little son of Mr. L. B. Hotchkiss, of Phelps, fell from a tree one day last week, and was killed.  Both of his arms and one of his legs were broken.  The boy was 13 years of age, and was in company with two other boys gathering walnuts.

From Ontario County Journal 28 November 1884

Mr. Leman B. Hotchkiss,
an old and well-known citizen of Phelps, died at his residence in that place Monday night. Mr. Hotchkiss had been identified with the business interests of Phelps for many years. There are two sons and two daughters surviving him, his wife having died some twenty-five or thirty years ago. His age was about seventy-two. The funeral services will be held today at two o'clock.

From Ontario County Journal 12 January 1894

Naples, N. Y. -
An old resident of South Bristol, Mrs. Lucena Hotchkiss, widow of Charles Hotchkiss, deceased, passed away last week.

From Ontario County Journal 29 December 1899

Naples, N. Y. -
The death of Mrs. Mary Clement, wife of A. F. Hotchkiss, which occurred on Christmas morning, calls forth universal expression of sorrow. She was ill but a few days with appendicitis, followed by peritonitis. Her age was 45 years. She was the oldest daughter of William H. Clement of this town, and had lived here all her life. For about seven years, the family had resided in the village, and for three years Mr. and Mrs. Hotchkiss had most successfully conducted a bakery in the town. The ability and high grade of character of the deceased was recognized by all. Her husband, one daughter, Mrs. Nelson Fox, her parents, three sisters and one brother survive her.

From Geneva Gazette 4 August 1893

Jeremiah Houlihan of Canandaigua was drowned last Sunday while bathing in Mud Creek, which flows through the town of Bristol.  Houlihan, who it seems was unable to swim, got in water over his head, and although he made an outcry which his companions heard, they did not go to his relief until he sank for the third time.  His recovery was too late; when his unconscious body was born to the shore life was extinct.  It cannot be too strongly impressed upon the human mind that when a fellow being raises a cry of distress, relief should be instantaneous as possible.  It is better to be imposed upon a hundred times than to be mistaken once as to a person in peril.  If Houlihan's friends had not supposed he was joking, his life could have been saved.

From Geneva Gazette 22 May 1891

suddenly died Wednesday morning last at his residence on Castle street.  A few years ago Mr. Hoult suffered severe injuries by a fall from a roof, a broken leg and one or more broken ribs being the serious results. He recovered in time sufficiently to resume his occupation as a contractor and builder, but continued to suffer more or less from the results of the accident.  Oppressive pain in the region of the heart occurring on Sunday admonished him to suspend work. Total heart failure followed in two days and the sufferer was relieved by death of earthly pain. Mr. Hoult was an Englishman by birth but had resided among us upwards of 40 years, a stirring, active business man, combining in his character all the elements that constitute an honorable, upright, useful citizen, whose loss will be universally regretted. He leaves a widow, one son, and two daughters.

From Geneva Daily Times 21 June 1904

Elizabeth House,
who has been ill for some months, died at 4:15 this morning at the home of her father, William House, of No. 183 William street, aged thirty-two years. The deceased had been a life-long resident of the city and an active member of the First Methodist church. Besides her father she is survived by one sister, Charlotte House, of this city, and two brothers, Clarence C. House of Canandaigua, and William W. House of Geneva. The funeral will take place at 2 o'clock Thursday afternoon from the house, and at 2:30 o'clock from the Methodist church. Rev. C. E. Jewell will officiate.

From Ontario County Journal 29 January 1892

Died in East Bloomfield, January 19, Elvira H. House, aged 59 years. Mrs. House was the daughter of Alfred and Sophia E. Fisher, and was born in Edgartown, Mass., in 1833. She removed to East Bloomfield in 1838, and was married to Robert House in September, 1874. She was converted under the labors of Dr. Kendall, and united with the M. E. Church in Miller's Corners about thirty-five years ago. In September, 1874, she transferred her membership to the First M. E. Church at East Bloomfield. Though deprived of church services during a share of the time, she reached a rare height in Christian life, and was a constant reader of the Scriptures, and was much in prayer. Her husband and mother survive her.

From Ontario County Times 1 June 1864

We are informed that Joseph Housel, Jr., son of our well known townsman, Joseph Housel, Esq., of Number Nine, was killed in an engagement near Spottsylvania, Virginia, on the 14th instant. He was attached to Battery H, second battalion of 4th N. Y. Heavy Artillery. A letter communicating intelligence of the sad event to his parents, states that he was shot through the left breast, and died instantly. He was honorably distinguished for bravery and good conduct while in the service and much beloved by his companions in the field, as he had been by his associates at home. Thus has fallen another of our brave boys, who went forth to battle and die in the defense of the nation's life. His death is a severe affliction to his parents, but they have the consolation of knowing that he had lived worthily and died in a noble cause. They have another son in the service, connected with the 14th regiment. God grant that he may be spared to see the end of this wicked rebellion, and to be the solace of their declining years. 

From Geneva Daily Times 27 October 1905

Canandaigua, N. Y. -
Heart disease claimed William Houston, aged 68, of Main Street North, early yesterday morning. Mr. Houston had been taken ill a short time before his death, and was lying on a couch when stricken. There he was found about 5 o'clock by members of the family. He came to this country from Ireland thirty years ago. His wife and one son, Robert Houston, and one daughter, Miss Ellen Houston, survive.

From Geneva Daily Times 24 June 1910

Mrs. Abigail Howard,
aged 80, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. William Smith, 184 Main street, at 9 o'clock last evening. She is survived by one son, Robert Howard of this city; two daughters, Mrs. William Smith of this city and Mrs. J. B. Robinson of Lyons.

From Geneva Daily Times 2 December 1895

Canandaigua, N. Y. -
Saturday occurred the death on Atwater Place of Mrs. Emily Howard, aged 70 years. Death was due to a paralytic stroke. She is survived by three daughters, Mrs. H. H. Lane, of Canandaigua; Mrs. Cora Denborr, of Rochester; Mrs. Henry Steele of East Bloomfield.

From Geneva Daily Times 26 October 1907

Stanley, N. Y. - Mrs. John Howard
died at her home Wednesday morning from a stroke of paralysis. Mrs. Howard was born in England and came to this country about 35 years ago. Mrs. Howard is 65 years old and is survived by five daughters. The funeral took place from her home at 2 o'clock this afternoon. Interment was at Number Nine.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 30 October 1907

Stanley, N. Y. -
The death of Mrs. John Howard occurred at her home in our village at an early hour Wednesday morning, after suffering two severe shocks of paralysis, aged 68 years. She was born and spent her girlhood in England, came here a bride, and has spent her life here since. She is survived by her husband and five daughters, Mrs. Anna Booth of Waterloo, Mrs. Dora Dales, Watkins, Mrs. Lucy Craft of Baltimore, Mrs. Jennie Rolfe of Benton and Miss Alice Howard of Newark. The funeral was held from the home at 2:30 Saturday afternoon. Rev. A. B. Temple of Seneca Presbyterian church officiated. Interment at Seneca.

From Geneva Gazette 24 October 1890

Obituary -
Yesterday afternoon at about 5:30 Timothy Howard, an old and respected citizen, died at his residence on North Main street.  Mr. Howard sometime ago contracted a severe cold which developed into pneumonia, and finally caused his death.  The deceased had been for thirty years a faithful employee of E. Dakin's coal yard.  A widow and three children survive him.  They have our most profound sympathy for the loss of a respected husband and father.  Mr. Howard was 62 years of age. The funeral will be held Monday next at 9 a.m. from St. Francis de Sales church, of which Mr. Howard was a devoted and consistent member.

From Geneva Daily Times 16 March 1908

Mrs. Anna Howe,
wife of William Howe, died at the City Hospital at 4 o'clock this morning after a lingering illness of a year. She was 46 years old. The remains were taken to the family residence, 55 Oak street. She leaves, besides her husband, one daughter, Miss Fannie L. Howe; three sons, William, Charles and Nelson; four sisters and four brothers. Burial St. Patrick's Cemetery

From Geneva Daily Times 17 February 1946

Mrs. Edith Stever Howe,
wife of Dr. H. J. Q. Howe, died this morning at her home, Main St., She was born in Newark, N. Y. on Jan. 15, 1879. Survivors are her husband; two sons, Harlan H., William F.; a sister, Mrs. Sada Fleenor of Orville, Calif.; one grandson, John Harlan Howe, all of Geneva. The funeral will be held Wednesday at 2 p.m. at the Bennett Funeral Home. Rev. Alexander Thompson, D. D., pastor of North Presbyterian Church will officiate and burial will be in Rest Haven Cemetery, Phelps.

From Geneva Daily Times 11 April 1907

The funeral of Edward Howe will be held tomorrow morning at 9 o'clock from the home of his mother, Mrs. F. C. Howe, of North Genesee street, and at 9:30 o'clock from St. Francis de Sales church. Burial will be in St. Patrick's cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 30 January 1891

Shortsville, N. Y. - Mr. H. D. Howe
died at his home in this village Friday morning, having been confined to the bed about fifteen years, we understand, with paralysis. The funeral services were observed at the house Sunday at one o'clock.

From Geneva Daily Times 29 July 1897

James Howe
died at 7 o'clock last evening, aged 39 years. The deceased had been ill for a long time, at the Church Home hospital, from dropsy. A few days ago Mr. Howe was taken to the home of James Sparrow, where he died. He is survived by two brothers, John and William Howe, of this city, and three sisters, Mrs. George Long, Mrs. William Long, and Mrs. Thomas Dwyer, all of this city. The funeral will take place Saturday morning at 9 o'clock, from St. Francis de Sales church. Devaney and Fletcher will have charge of the funeral.

From Ontario County Journal 27 February 1891

Dr. John Q. Howe,
of Phelps, one of the most prominent and widely-known physicians in the county, died at his residence in that village, Wednesday evening. Dr. Howe had been in ill health for a long time. Last winter he went south for his health but derived no material benefit and had failed gradually until his death. Dr. Howe was not only prominent in his profession, but was a leading and aggressive spirit in politics and public enterprises. He was for years one of the leaders of the Republican party in Phelps and had been identified with all the important movements for the public benefit. He was 72 years of age and leaves a widow, three sons and three daughters. 

From Geneva Daily Times 6 December 1895

The death of Mrs. Marietta Aylsworth, wife of Lucius L. Howe, of 71 State street, occurred at 7:45 last evening at the family residence. She had been in feeble health for a long period of time, and her death, resulting from general debility, was not unexpected. Mrs. Howe was born in Litchfield, this state, on January 7th, 1821, and lived the most of her life in Phelps and Geneva, having come here with the family some fifteen years ago. She was highly esteemed by all who knew her for her Christian virtues. She was a member of the North Presbyterian church, although ill health had kept her from public services for several years. Besides her husband, she leaves two daughters, Miss Cornelia, an invalid, and Miss Henrietta, both residing at home, all of whom will have the earnest sympathy of friends. Her oldest daughter by former marriage, Carrie Terrill, deceased, was the first wife of S. K. Nester. The funeral arrangements had not been made this morning, and accordingly the announcement cannot be given in today's paper, but will be made later.

From Geneva Daily Times 20 July 1895

S. D. Howe,
at the age of 76 years, died at the home in Hopewell on Monday, the 15th inst.

From Shortsville Enterprise 17 September 1914

The death of Mrs. Sarah Clarke Howe, a former highly-esteemed resident of the Parlor Village, occurred at the home of her daughter, Mrs. F. H. Delaney, in Geneva, last week Wednesday morning, Sept. 9, about 11:30 o'clock, aged nearly 81 years. She had been stricken with paralysis and her condition gradually declined until the end. Mrs. Sarah Clarke Howe was born in the township of Sodus on December 5, 1833. She resided in Shortsville nearly a quarter-century, but left here about seven years ago to live with her daughter in Geneva. She was a member of the Shortsville M. E. Church. The survivors are one daughter, Mrs. Delaney; two sons, Luther J. Howe of High street, and Chester C. Howe of East Orange, N. J.; also two sisters, Mrs. Eliza Young of Durand, Mich., and Mrs. Mary Jones, of Geneva, Ill. The remains were brought to this village and the funeral services held from the home of her son in High street last Friday afternoon at 4 o'clock. Rev. A. A. Hauck, pastor of the M. E. Church, officiated. The burial was made in the family plot in Brookside Cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 16 August 1878

Victor, N. Y. - Mr. Sylvester Howe,
a long and well-known resident of this place, died at his residence in this village last Wednesday evening. Mr. Howe was born in Scipio, Cayuga Co., in this state, April 3, 1799, and came to Victor during the year 1849 - twenty-nine years ago. Deceased was an honorable, upright man, one of the kind who makes a good citizen while living, is missed at his death and remembered thereafter.  He was a member of the Masonic fraternity - of Milnor lodge, No. 139 for 27 years, and will be buried under its rites - ceremonies in which he has formerly borne so conspicuous a part. The funeral will be held at 2 o'clock this Friday afternoon.

From Ontario County Journal 12 May 1893

At his residence on Gibson street, Monday morning, May 8, Alexander Hamilton Howell, aged 87 years, 9 months, 8 days. Alexander Hamilton Howell, the subject of this sketch, was born in the village September 30. 1805. The home of his birth was situated on Main street at the point where Howell street was later laid out. There lived Nathaniel Woodhull Howell, his father, the first county judge of Ontario County, who was born in Blooming Grove, Orange county. Mr. Howell's mother was Sally Chapin, daughter of Israel Chapin, who was sent by the United States to the then new country in 1788-89 to represent the government in treaties with the Indians.

Alexander was the second of the seven children born to Nathaniel and Sally Howell. None of the children survive him, his brother, Thomas M. Howell, having passed away a few months ago. At an early age Alexander was sent by his parents to a French school in New York, where his early education was gained. There he acquired the complete mastery of the French tongue. Later, he entered Hamilton College. He left Hamilton for Union College, where he afterward graduated taking the baccalaureate degree. Following his college course he returned to Canandaigua and entered upon the study of law in the office of Mark H. Sibley, with whom he later entered into partnership. About the year 1828, he went to New York and engaged himself there, and later in Philadelphia in mercantile pursuits. While in New York, about the year 1830, he married Emily, daughter of Amasa Jackson, of New York, whose wife, Mary, was the only daughter of Oliver Phelps, who was one of the parties in the Phelps and Gorham purchase. To Mr. and Mrs. Howell was born one child, Mrs. W. W. Worthington, of this village. Returning from New York and Philadelphia in the early thirties, Mr. Howell entered again upon the practice of law with E. B. Pottle. For a short time also Mr. Howell was engaged in the hardware business with Stephen Parrish.

In politics Mr. Howell was an ardent Whig until the breaking up of that party when he became what was called a Silvergrey, and later a Democrat, in which faith he continued during the remainder of his life. Mr. Howell was for two terms County Clerk. Later he was elected a Justice of the Peace, to which office he was successively reelected many terms until after the civil war. His other interests are indicated by the fact that he was for many years President and one of the Trustees of the Ontario Orphan Asylum; one of the Trustees of the Canandaigua Academy, and Clerk of the Trustees of the Congregational church. In the last named position, he gathered together widely scattered minutes and memoranda, and by their collation laid a debt of gratitude upon that society.

Mr. Howell's old age was kept fresh and green by the love and sympathy of generations younger than himself. All through his life his character was marked by his love for children. And those children of successive decades some of whom for the past fifty years have known him affectionately as Uncle Alec, have made his age the time for garnering the results of his affection so freely bestowed.

From Geneva Gazette 14 September 1900

Edward H. Howell
died at the  Hygienic Institute in this city last Monday.  He was formerly of Bath and came here about ten years ago entering upon service with the Phillips & Clark Stove Co. as stenographer and typewriter.  This position he was compelled to surrender about a year ago owing to ill health.  He married after settled here in business and the bereaved widow and two young children survive him.  The deceased was related to the well-known Howell family of Bath, a family renowned for sterling Democracy and business activity and integrity.  Both Mr. Howell and his wife were regular attendants and communicants of St. Peter's Church.

From Ontario County Journal 3 January 1879

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - Mrs. George S. Howell
departed this life Thursday, December 19th, aged 49 years and 5 months. Her remains were taken to Rushville on Saturday for interment. Funeral services were held on Sunday at the residence of F. W. Hunt.

From Ontario County Journal 11 February 1887

Rushville, N. Y. - Mr. Horace Howell died at the residence of his daughter, Mrs. Benjamin Perry, February 8, aged 89 years and 3 months. Mr. Howell was one of the oldest residents of this place, having resided here for 53 years, and was in the boot and shoe business with his son, George, for many years. For the last few years he has been tenderly cared for by his daughter, Mrs. Perry.

From Ontario County Journal 28 October 1892

Thomas M. Howell,
Esq., the oldest practitioner at the bar of Ontario county, passed away at his residence on Gibson street, in this village, yesterday afternoon. He was a son of Judge Nathaniel W. Howell, and was born in this village, of which he has always been a resident, in the year 1811. He was graduated from Amherst College in 1831, and immediately began the study of his profession in the office of Jared Wilson, Esq. In 1884 he was admitted to the bar as an attorney, in 1837 as a solicitor in chancery, and in 1839 as a counselor. He was appointed to the office of district attorney in 1840 and served in that capacity for seven years. In 1858 he was appointed commissioner of the United States Supreme Court and retained that office until his death. He was elected police justice of this village in 1876 and served one term in that office. Throughout his long career he was ever a staunch Democrat of the old school. He took an active part in the political affairs of his country and on many occasions was nominated for important offices by his party. In his early years he was sent as a delegate to several national conventions. In his death Canandaigua mourns the loss of an old and respected citizen.

From Geneva Gazette 18 November 1881

Mrs. Thomas M. Howell
died at her residence in Canandaigua on the 7th inst., after a long and painful illness, in the 65th year of her age. She was a daughter of Col. Samuel Young of Ballston, Saratoga Co., famous in his day as a Democratic statesman. The daughter was liberally educated, and withal exhibited the sterling traits of character which among men of his times distinguished her sire. While a model wife, mother and housekeeper, she found time "to do good" in the community in which her lot was cast, and before she became an invalid was foremost in enterprises to relieve the poor, the sick and afflicted. Surely the memory of such a one will be blessed. Our heartfelt sympathies are extended to the bereaved husband.

From Ontario County Journal 28 December 1894

West Bloomfield, N. Y. - Mrs. Arthur Howes
died at her home on Sunday morning. She had been ill for a long time, and her death was expected. She leaves a husband and three small children, besides a father, four brothers and two sisters. The funeral was held from St. Rose's church, Lima, on Wednesday morning, Rev. Simon Fitzsimmons officiating. She was 28 years of age.

From Victor Herald 23 January 1892

Miller's Corners, N. Y. - Mrs. Elvira Howes
died after a severe and protracted illness this week Wednesday. The immediate cause of death was organic heart disease. Deceased was about sixty years of age and leaves an aged mother, Mrs. Sophia Fisher, with whom she has always lived, and her husband, Robert Howes. The funeral has been announced for Saturday. Mrs. Howes throughout her lifetime developed in her character those lovely womanly traits of gentleness of spirit and amiableness so noticeable by all with whom she came in contact, and the community mourn the loss of one who was loved and admired by all. She was a member of the M. E. church at East Bloomfield.

From Geneva Courier 28 January 1880

The Canandaigua Times reports the death and suicide of Samuel A. Howes, for many years a resident of this county.  He had made his home lately with Misses Hanna, in Hopewell, but had left their house on Thanksgiving day for a visit to Battle Creek, Mich., where he had a son living.  He had been apparently in his usual health and spirits, and gave no indications of his suicidal intention, having spent the evening before in card playing with members of the family.  The next morning he was found in his chamber dead, while the pistol with which he had shot himself was still grasped in both hands, the barrel closely pressed against his temples.  Two cartridges had been exploded and two bullets fired.  On his table was found a note in which he announced his intention, asserted that he was never more sane than at that moment, and said that he had lived long enough and was no further use to himself or his friends.  Mr. Howes was about eighty-one years of age, and during his long residence in this county had been a well known and respected farmer.  He had two sons living, George Howes, in Battle Creek, Mich., at whose home he spent his last days, and Robert Howes, in Albion, Orleans county, in this State.  His body was taken to the latter place for interment.

From Ontario County Journal 8 October 1909

Last Friday morning, at his home on Gibson street, occurred the death of Joel M. Howey, following a week's illness, at the age of nearly 91 years. Deceased was born at Canandaigua, Jan. 30, 1819, and his whole life was passed in this town. Mr. Howey's active life was spent upon the farm, but following the death of Mrs. Howey 25 years ago, he came to this village to reside. For many years under the old excise regime, Mr. Howey was local excise commissioner. He was also supervisor. He cast his first vote for Harrison and Tyler in 1840, and was affiliated with the anti-slavery wing of the Whig party until the Republican party was organized, when he became one of the most active supporters of the new movement.

Mr. Howey is survived by one daughter, of Geneseo, and three grandchildren, Howey Booth of Geneseo, and Misses Martha and Louise Howey of this village. Funeral services were held at the home on Sunday afternoon, Rev. Livingston L. Taylor officiating, and burial in West Avenue cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 2 May 1884

Mr. John M. Howey,
was a young man of excellent character, possessing qualities which gave promise of an honorable and useful career. He was the only son of our well-known townsman, Mr. Joel M. Howey, and was engaged with his father in farming. He had been in failing health for several years, being first afflicted with a bronchial difficulty which finally terminated in consumption. His wife, a daughter of the late Francis J. Castle, is left to mourn his early decease, and he also leaves two children. The funeral services were held at the family residence on Sunday afternoon, being conducted by the Rev. M. S. Hard, pastor of the M. E. church in this place. His remains were brought to the village for interment, and were followed to their final resting place by a large concourse of deeply sorrowing relatives and friends. The bereaved family have the sincere sympathy of the whole community.

From Ontario County Journal 10 March 1893

Shortsville, N. Y. -
With sincere regret his numerous friends will hear new of the death of Addison J. Howland, at his home in this place at an early hour Tuesday morning. Mr. Howland was a well-known and popular man in Ontario County and he will be sadly missed by the people of this place, where he has for a number of years been a resident. He had not been in good health for the past two years, but no immediate danger was apprehended until about a week ago, when a physician was summoned as the symptoms of the malady, diabetes, became more alarming, but not confining him to the bed, however, until within a few hours of his death. The funeral services were held at the house Thursday afternoon at 2 o'clock. A widow and two sons, Rae and Claire, mourn his loss.

From Ontario Messenger 7 October 1846

Died - at Manchester, Ontario co., N. Y., on the 26th September, 1846, David Howland, Esq., aged 63 years. Mr. Howland was among the earliest settlers of the town, an had resided therein nearly half a century. He had held the office of Justice of the Peace, Supervisor, and many other of the most responsible offices in the town. He was a useful and an exemplary member of society, respected and esteemed by those who knew him, and was firmly attached to the cause of Temperance. As a husband and father, he was affectionate and kind; as a citizen, generous and philanthropic, sustaining in all his social relations an unblemished character and reputation.

From Geneva Daily Times 16 April 1910

Shortsville, N. Y. - Mrs. Elizabeth Howland,
one of the oldest residents of the town of Manchester, died at the home, just north of Manchester village, at 3 o'clock yesterday morning of paralysis. She had been ill for three months. She was a daughter of the late Laban and Eleanor Wells, and was born in the town of Manchester April 3, 1828, one of twelve children. September 30, 1847, she was married to Pardon Arnold Howland, also of Manchester, who died March 27, 1897. Sixty-seven years ago she united with Manchester Baptist church, of which she had since been an influential member. Mrs. Howland leaves four sons and three daughters, Charles A. Howland, Henry L. Howland, Egbert G. Howland and Miss Emma L. Howland, all of Manchester; Mrs. Harriet A. Utter of West Orange, N. J., and Mrs. Charles Herrick of Newark, N. Y. The funeral will be held at the home where she lived for 63 years, at 3 o'clock tomorrow afternoon, Rev. Joseph Weston and Rev. Ernest Eden, both of Rochester, officiating.

From Ontario County Times 9 September 1885

Manchester, N. Y. - 
Last Friday morning at 8 o'clock, Mrs. George Howland, aged 90 years, a lady well-known and highly esteemed, passed to her reward. She had been slowly failing for some months, but paralysis a few days since was the final stroke from which she never recovered. Her sister and her sister's son from Michigan arrived in time to be present at her death, as did one of her grandchildren not living here. Both children and grandchildren tenderly ministered to her during her sickness and death. Her funeral services were held at her late residence on Monday at two o'clock, and her interment was at the Quaker burying ground.

From Ontario Messenger 29 December 1858

A painful accident occurred in the Canandaigua outlet, between the village of Manchester last Thursday, which resulted in the loss of life. A party of young people were sporting on the pond which runs the flour mills at Manchester; the gentlemen were skating and pushing before them on hand sleds, the young ladies. Mr. Henry L. Howland and Miss Eliza Pierce, (daughter of Ezra Pierce, Esq.), were amongst the number, and venturing a little farther, came upon the ice, which giving way, precipitated them into the water. Once they managed to get out, but again broke through. Mr. Howland very soon sinking in about eight feet of water, was drowned. Their cries had attracted the attention of some of their companions, who repairing to their assistance, were in great danger of breaking through. In the meantime, Miss Pierce managed to keep above water, and displayed great presence of mind and fortitude in her situation. After remaining in water for half an hour, she was rescued by a rope thrown the distance of 25 feet, which she attached to her arms. Mr. H. was engaged in milling at Manchester and was highly respected as an honest upright man. His body was recovered the next day.

From Shortsville Enterprise 17 July 1913

Mrs. Charles Rogers mourns the death of her estimable father, Wilber C. Howland, which occurred at his home, two miles west of Victor, on Monday morning. A stroke of paralysis three years ago broke down his health and his condition had been serious for the last year. He was the last of a family of eight children. The survivors are his wife, two daughters, one son and two grandchildren. The funeral will be held from his home this Thursday afternoon.

From Geneva Daily Times 15 March 1904

Rushville, N. Y. -
The death of Dominick Howley occurred at the home of his nephew, Edward Howley, Sunday afternoon at two, from the grip. Mr. Howley was about 83 years of age. He was sick nearly a week before he was brought to his nephew's, last Tuesday. The funeral was held this morning from the Catholic church in Canandaigua.

From Geneva Daily Times 16 September 1903

Mrs. Anna J. Hoyt,
aged thirty-one years, died suddenly at the home of Michael Quinn, 4 Lyceum street, at 6:30 o'clock this morning. The deceased had been ill for three months with Bright's disease and while her condition was considered serious, her death was not expected. A sudden change at five o'clock this morning ended fatally. Mrs. Hoyt, whose maiden name was Cummings, was born in this city and for ten years conducted a fashionable dressmaking establishment here. About six months ago she was compelled to give up her business on account of illness. She had a large circle of friends and was a favorite with everybody, her gentle disposition and lovable traits of character making her hosts of lasting friends wherever she went. The deceased is survived by her mother, Mrs. Mary Cummings, of this city, and by eight brothers and ,sisters Mrs. Nicholas Sauerborn of 34 Geneva street, this city, Mrs. Joseph Hyatt, Rochester, Mrs. T. E. Canty, Mrs. McAerless and Miss Katie Cummings, of Syracuse, Jeremiah of Detroit and John and Richard of Syracuse. The funeral arrangements will be announced later.  Burial St. Patrick's Cemetery, Geneva.

From Ontario County Journal 29 January 1897

Yesterday at his home on Gorham street, occurred the death from general debility of Charles H. Hoyt, a long-time resident of this village. Deceased was 83 years of age. He is survived by a wife; two daughters, Miss Mary and Miss Jane of this village; a brother, Bates Hoyt of Michigan; and three sisters, Mrs. Street, Mrs. Hoyt and Mrs. Nichols of Stanford, Conn.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 8 February 1905

Manchester, N. Y. -
The funeral of Chester C. Hoyt, the engineer who was killed by the bursting of the boiler of his engine near North Tonawanda, was held from his home late Tuesday morning. His remains were taken to Waverly for burial. Mr. Hoyt was 48 years old and is survived by his wife, two daughters of Buffalo, and two step-daughters, Martha and Anna, of this place; and one sister of Waverly.

From Geneva Daily Times 16 June 1908

Naples, N. Y. -
The remains of Edwin Hoyt, were brought from Bath Saturday to Naples, the almost lifelong home of Mr. Hoyt, for interment. His wife died here last October, and soon after the home was sold, and Mr. Hoyt went to Bath to live with his son. Edwin Hoyt was 80 years old and his earlier manhood was spent in Yates county. He was a member of the Methodist church of Naples, from which the funeral services were held. Mr. Hoyt leaves two sons, Charles, of Danbury, Conn., and John of Bath, and two daughters, Mrs. William Fountain of Vine Valley, and Harriett, of Rochester.

From Geneva Daily Times 14 October 1907

Naples, N. Y. - The death of Mrs. Edwin Hoyt occurred last Friday morning. She had been a resident here for sixty years. Both her husband and herself had been feeble for a year, both having reached an advanced age. Mrs. Hoyt leaves two sons, Charles of Danbury, Conn., and John of Bath, N. Y., and two daughters, Mrs. William Fountain of Vine Valley and Harriet of Rochester.

From Ontario County Journal 9 July 1909

The death of Mrs. Harriet Lord Hoyt occurred at her home on Greig terrace, on Saturday morning, after a brief illness. Mrs. Hoyt, who was past her 89th birthday, had been active almost to the end. She was born in Bristol on April 21, 1820, and was the daughter of Rhoda and Gideon Reed. She was married to Charles H. Hoyt 62 years ago. Her husband died soon after the couple had celebrated their golden wedding anniversary. Mrs. Hoyt had spent her entire married life in this village, and her splendid qualities of mind and heart surrounded her with hosts of loving friends. She had long been a member of the Presbyterian church. Deceased is survived by two daughters, Miss Mary E. Hoyt and Miss Jane B. Hoyt, both of this village. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. G. L. Morrill on Monday afternoon, and burial was in Woodlawn.

Return to Ontario County Homepage

Copyright © 2004-10, Ontario County NYGenWeb and each contributor and author of materials herein. All rights reserved.

Updated 28 August 2010