"He" to "Hem" Obituaries

From Geneva Daily Times 9 July 1907

George W. Headley,
aged 75 years, died yesterday afternoon at 5:10 o'clock at the family residence, No. 36 Rose street. The survivors are two sons, Stephen and Arthur of Rochester; two brothers, John of Bath, and Frank of Rushville; two sisters, Mrs. Helen Green of Rushville, and Mrs. Sarah McLeod of Starkey. The funeral will be held tomorrow morning at 11 o'clock from his late home on Rose street, and at 2 o'clock from the Presbyterian church at Dresden. The pastor of the Presbyterian church at Rushville will officiate and interment will be at Dresden.

From Ontario County Journal 22 June 1888

Last Saturday evening about ten o'clock, Walter A. Heard, one of the wealthiest citizens of the village, was found dead in bed at his residence on the corner of Main and Gorham streets. When found he was lying in bed, holding a book in his right hand, and had evidently been reading when death came. The time of his death, of course, cannot be ascertained, but it is believed that he had been dead some time when discovered. The judgment of the physicians is that death resulted from paralysis of the heart. He was a single man, 57 years of age, and leaves two sisters.

From Geneva Courier 15 October 1873

Obituary -
"When a good man dies the people mourn."  The truth of these words was, as on Wednesday last many friends and neighbors gathered to pay the last tribute of respect to one of our oldest and most respected citizens, Mr. Benjamin F. Heartwell.

Mr. Heartwell was born in the town of Heartwellville in the State of Vermont, in the year 1781.  He was the youngest son of Captain Joseph and Elizabeth and youngest child save one of thirteen children.  He was the last of this large family.  He came to this then western country called the Genesee in 1816, and settled in Phelps.  He married the eldest daughter of Gen. Burnett of Phelps in the year 1818.  He became a follower of Christ in the year 1821 -- uniting with the Presbyterian Church at Oaks Corners on New Years day 1822.  He always remained a member of that church, and was even deeply interested in all its interests, both temporal and spiritual.
His life was consistent and exemplary.  His light shone always.  He was respected and beloved by all who knew him and they rise up and call him blessed.  For fifty-two years he served the Lord in an humble, devoted, joyful decipleship, his love for the church and true zeal for its prosperity never diminished.  By his example he encouraged many, by his prayers he comforted many, by his counsels in wisdom and love, he was the instrument in God's hands of bringing others to the Saviour.  He adorned the doctrine he professed.

The church has lost a firm friend, the community an honored citizen, his family an affectionate husband and loving father.  His widow and children while they mourn his loss, sorrow not as the hopeless, but rejoice in his peaceful death and the evidences of his peace with God, while they cherish the memory of one of whom the spirit has written.

From Geneva Courier 20 December 1882

Mrs. Emeline P. Heartwell, wife of C. D. Heartwell, died in Geneva on Monday morning.  She had suffered for a few hours greatly from pain in the back of her head.  Spasms ensued, from which time she did not regain her consciousness.  It is a very distressing case, and her family have the deep sympathy of all.

 Mrs. Emeline P. Heartwell was born at Canandaigua in 1847.  She was a daughter of Isaac M. and Marie Schemmerhorn, and a granddaughter of George Barclay, of this place.  They removed from Canandaigua to Corning, and from there to Hornellsville.  From the latter place they moved to Buffalo, where she lived till her marriage.  When she was fifteen or sixteen years of age, she united with Dr. Heacock's church in Buffalo.  She spent several years at Geneva attending the Misses Field's select school.  When about nineteen she returned to Buffalo and remained there till she was united in marriage to Mr. Charles D. Heartwell, when she came to Geneva and resided here until her decease.  She joined the Reformed church by letter.  She was lovely and pleasant in her life, a loving Christian mother to her children, an affectionate wife, and was beloved by all who knew her.

From Geneva Courier 18 January 1882

Mrs. Jane Heartwell died at the residence of her son, Oscar T. Heartwell, in the town of Geneva, on Sunday, the 15th inst.  She was in the 83rd year of her age.  Her death was very sudden; she was hardly ill at all.  She got up Sunday morning, as usual, and dressed herself.  In leaving her room she had a fall, which is thought to have been apoplectic.  No noise sufficient to alarm anyone was made by the fall; and it was first known when she spoke to her son.  He was passing through the hall.  He carried her to her bed.  This was between 7 and 8 o'clock in the morning.  She was not fully conscious at any time afterward; and lived only till about 1 o'clock, when she passed away quietly, and without any apparent suffering.  She went to sleep, and did not revive.

Mrs. Heartwell, whose maiden name was Jane Burnett -- and who was a daughter of General William Burnett, of Phelps-- was born on the 2d day of June, 1779 (sic).  This was the year in which General Washington was buried.  She always lived in Phelps and the vicinity; she was married in Phelps; and until she was over 50 years of age, was a regular attendant of the Oaks Corners Presbyterian church, of which she was a member when she died.  During the last thirty years, her residence was with her son, Oscar F. Heartwell, in the town of Geneva. Mrs. Heartwell had many friends, but those of her early days had nearly all gone to their rest. She was universally respected and esteemed; was very retiring in her inclinations; and her influence was felt by her example. She is the last but one of seven children; the survivor, Miss Olive Burnett, now residing at Oaks Corners. Her funeral was on Wednesday at 10 a.m. at her late residence; Rev. Mr. Nasholds preaching the sermon. Her remains were interred in the family burying ground of the Burnett's, on the old homestead, a mile and a half north of Oaks Corners.

From Shortsville Enterprise 9 April 1914

The death of Clarence Heath, president of the Shortsville Wheel Company, occurred at his home in Booth street on Sunday afternoon about 2:20 o'clock, aged 57 years. Heart disease was the cause of demise. He had been in poor health for some time past and since January had been confined to his home the greater part of the time. Clarence Heath was born in Darien, Genesee county, on March 30, 1857, a son of the late Edwin and Mary Barnes Heath. He attended the district schools of Darien, and for a time was a student at Canandaigua Academy. He resided at Darien until about 17 years of age and then came to Shortsville to live. His father was a veteran of the Civil War and died in prison during the strife. He was raised by his grandfather. Upon locating in this place he entered the employ of Prentice & Jessup, hub manufacturers, where he learned the trade of hand turning and later the making of wagon and buggy wheels. In 1879 he established himself in business in Littleville, manufacturing hubs and spokes and the following year commenced the manufacture of wagon and buggy wheels. The deceased was married on October 1, 1879, to Miss Jennie B. Brown, daughter of Hiram L. Brown, one of the original proprietors of the Empire Drill Company. The survivors are his wife; one son, Sydney L. Heath, of Robinson street; four daughters, Mrs. Adelbert R. Thompson, of Booth street; Mrs. Rea V. Howland, of Newark; Mrs. Nathan Franzel, of Auburn, and Miss Virginia Heath, who resides at home; two brothers, Eugene Heath, of Hopewell, and Frank Heath of Avoca; a sister, Mrs. George Jessup, of Robinson street; also five grandchildren, Virginia Thompson of Booth street; Heath and Josephine Howland, of Newark, and Prudence and Ruth Franzel of Auburn. The funeral obsequies were held from his late home on Wednesday afternoon at 2 o'clock, conducted by Rev. D. H. MacKenzie, pastor of the First Presbyterian church. The burial was made in Brookside Cemetery in this village.

From Victor Herald 20 April 1900

David Heath died in Buffalo on Tuesday morning, April 17th, and his remains were brought to this village for interment on Thursday morning. The funeral was held at eleven o'clock in the Methodist church. Mr. Heath came to Victor from Palmyra about the year 1835, and engaged to work in the wagon shop of Decker & Seavey, since made into the residence now owned by Mrs. Branch. Jerome Vanness, for many years a wagon maker at East Victor, worked with him in the shop, and they later went into partnership in the business and continued together for a number of years. Mr. Heath worked for a number of years at his trade in the old foundry building, when that plant was owned and operated by Moul, Brown & Co. He afterwards had a wagon shop in the building next east from the old drug store, in which he continued until he purchased the drug store of Mr. Peacock; his son, Frank, having been employed there until he had learned the business. D. Heath & Son were in the drug business for many years. Since the business was sold and closed up, Mr. Heath, whose health had failed rapidly, lived a quiet, retired life at his home on East Main street, until, about two weeks ago, he went to Buffalo to live with his son, Frank, where he died. Mr. Heath was a member of the Methodist church in this village for sixty-four years, uniting with that organization in 1836. He was quiet in his deportment, and won the respect and esteem of all who knew him. His age, on the third of May, would have been eighty-three years. He is survived by one son, Frank J., now a resident of Buffalo.

From Ontario County Times 4 May 1887

Port Gibson, N. Y. - Mrs. Della Heath,
daughter of William Randall, died at the home of her father on April 24, aged 24 years. The funeral services were largely attended at the church on Wednesday afternoon.

From Shortsville Enterprise 28 December 1916

This community was deeply saddened to learn of the death of Eugene Heath, until the past year one of Hopewell's most progressive and best-known farmers, which occurred at the home of Mr. and Mrs. James S. Pettit in Grove street last Friday night at 11 o'clock. His demise was occasioned by heart trouble, from which he had been suffering for many months. He had been confined to his room since the early part of November. Eugene Heath was born in the town of Darien, Genesee county, on November 6, 1855, a son of the late Edwin Merton and Mary Barnes Heath. When about 9 years of age he was left an orphan, his mother dying in 1862, and his father, a soldier, starving to death in 1864 in prison at Salisbury, N. C. He then made his home with his grandfather, Joseph W. Heath, who lived near Batavia. Mr. Heath came to Shortsville when about 16 years of age, securing employment in the factory of the Shortsville Hub and Spoke Co. at Littleville. Later he became a member of the firm which organized the American Wheel Co., also at Littleville. He chose for his wife Miss M. Louise Hedges, of Arcade, this State, with whom he was united in November, 1879. Mrs. Heath died suddenly last January. Following her demise, he sold his farm in Hopewell and went to live with his daughter, Mrs. Francis Reed, at San Juan, Porto Rico. Business matters and a desire to cast a vote at the presidential election last November caused him to return here. He planned to leave for Porto Rico before cold weather set in, but he was stricken with his last illness before he could carry out his intentions. The death of Mr. and Mrs. Heath within a year inflicts deep sorrow upon a vast circle of friends and acquaintances. They were warm-hearted and hospitable, their pleasant farm home being frequently visited in search of enjoyment. Their 39 years of residence in the town of Hopewell leaves a memory that shall never be obliterated. Their untiring devotion to one another was plainly discernible and their being thus reunited must prove a solace in the deep grief of the surviving children.

The survivors are a son, Harry E. Heath, of San Francisco, Cal.; a daughter, Mrs. Francis N. Reed of San Juan, Porto Rico; two grandchildren, Ann and Eugene Reed of San Juan; a brother, Frank Heath, of West Main street, and a sister, Mrs. George Jessup, of Robinson street. The funeral services were held from the Pettit home on Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock, conducted by the Rev. D. H. MacKenzie, pastor of the Presbyterian church. The interment followed in the family plot in Brookside cemetery.

From Shortsville Enterprise 20 January 1916

Mrs. M. Louise Heath,
wife of Eugene Heath, of the township of Hopewell, died at the farm home on Wednesday noon, following a five days' illness from pneumonia. Her age was 57 years. Mrs. Heath was born on October 12, 1857, at Springville, Erie county, a daughter of A. Daniel and Louise Sears Hedges. She was united in marriage with Mr. Heath at Arcade on November 3, 1879. For the past 36 years they had made their home on the farm in Hopewell. She was faithful member of the Shortsville Presbyterian church. The death of this good woman comes as a great shock to the people of the Parlor Village. Although her illness was generally known, there were no alarming symptoms observed. She will be truly missed from our midst, as she was a great frequenter of the village and was always included in the social activities here. She was of a very cordial nature and could be called a friend of the masses. Many expressions of regret have followed her untimely taking away. A good woman, indeed, and deserving of a rich reward in the Great Beyond. The survivors are her husband; one son, Harry E. Heath of San Francisco, Cal.; one daughter, Mrs. Francis N. Reed, of San Juan, Puerto Rico; two brothers, Charles E. Hedges and John S. Hedges of Shelby, Mich., and two grandchildren, Eugene and Ann Reed, of San Juan. Services will be conducted by the Rev. D. H. MacKenzie and burial will take place in Brookside cemetery.

From Victor Herald 14 April 1894

Mrs. Miranda Cronk Heath,
died at her home on East Main Street, on Monday last. The deceased was the daughter of Jeremiah Cronk, who came to Victor in 1819 and settled on the farm now owned by David Clark. Mrs. Heath was born in Otsego Co., N. Y., May 26, 1816, and was brought to Victor with her parents when three years old. She was married to David Heath fifty-two years ago and has resided in this town ever since. She leaves besides her husband, one son, F. J. Heath, of this town, five grandchildren, two sisters, Mrs. Mary Nelson, of this village, Mrs. Delivan Cline, of Jackson, Mich., and one brother, L. W. Cronk of Victor. Mrs. Heath was united with the Methodist church in Victor when only fifteen years of age and has been an active member for over sixty years, and at the time of her death was the oldest person in point of membership in the church. She possessed all of that deep faith in the christian religion so common to the members of fifty years ago and her devotion to the cause of Christ was with her to the last. Although a great sufferer in her last illness, she bore all with true christian patience. She was tenderly cared for by loving hands and her life closed amid the comforts of home, husband and children, cheered by a loving faith in her savior. The funeral was held on Wednesday afternoon, her pastor, Rev. Mr. Copeland, conducting the services. The burial was at the village cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 8 December 1906

Phelps, N. Y. - Emiline Heator,
wife of Byron Heator, died at her home near Oaks Corners last evening after a brief illness. Mrs. Heator was born and always lived in this vicinity. She was 63 years of age and leaves her husband and one son, Thaddeus Denny of Oaks Corners and one daughter, Mrs. Roy Whitbeck, of Phelps; also one sister, Mrs. John Lawless of Waterloo, and one brother, Henry Holland of Newark. The funeral will be held Monday at ten thirty in the forenoon and in the afternoon the remains will be taken to Lyons for burial.

From Geneva Daily Times 5 October 1906

Phelps, N. Y. - James Heator, aged 87 years, died Wednesday evening at the home of his son, Bryan Heator, two miles south of Phelps. His death was due to brain trouble brought on by his advanced years. Mr. Heator was born in New Jersey and came to this town when he was eighteen years of age. Since then he has engaged in farming in this vicinity. He is survived by four sons, Reuben, Spencer, Bingham and Byron Heator, all of Phelps.

From Geneva Gazette 4 August 1899

Mr. George H. Heaven
died at his home, 656 Castle street, last Saturday, aged 57 years.  He leaves a family of adult age, one son having for his wife a daughter of Mr. Thomas Lewis, a former foreman in the floricultural department of W. & T. Smith -- now in England.  The funeral of deceased took place last Tuesday with services in St. Peter's Church rendered by the rector, Rev. Dr. Hubbs.

From Ontario County Journal 21 March 1884

Richmond, N. Y. - Mr. John Heazlitt,
aged 75, died at his residence, near Allen's Hill, on Monday, March 10th. Mr. Heazlitt had been a resident of Richmond for thirty-nine years. He was an active, consistent member of the M. E. church at Allen's Hill, and a much esteemed citizen.

From Geneva Daily Times 13 January 1902

Mrs. Walter Hefferon
died at the family residence in Stanley at 7:15 o'clock this morning, aged 62 years. The deceased is survived by her husband, eight sons,  James Hefferon of McKeesport, Pa., Walter Hefferon of Co. K., Eighth U. S. infantry, Philippine Islands, and Edward, Patrick, Thomas, William and John Hefferon, of Stanley; by three daughters, Mrs. John M. McNerney of Seattle, Wash., Mrs. John Sweeney of Homer, and Miss Cora Hefferon of Stanley; and one brother, Michael Grady of Patterson, N. J.  The funeral will take place from St. Francis de Sales church at 10:30 o'clock Thursday forenoon. Interment will be in St. Patrick's cemetery.

From Shortsville Enterprise 31 January 1913

The death of Dennis Heffron, a well-known resident of the Parlor Village, occurred at a Canandaigua hospital last Thursday, following an illness covering many months. His age was 80 years. His demise was occasioned by paralysis. Dennis Heffron was born near Westport, County Mayo, Ireland. During the year of 1869 he decided to seek his fortune in the United States and came to Shortsville on his arrival in this country. In 1865 he was married to Miss Eliza Gavin, who survives him. He also leaves two sons, William and Peter Heffron of Syracuse, and one daughter, Mrs. George W. Loop, also of that city. The funeral services took place at St. Dominic's church in this place on Saturday morning at nine o'clock and the burial was made in the Catholic cemetery at Canandaigua.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 6 November 1907

Victor, N. Y. - 
On Tuesday evening of last week occurred the death of John Heffron at his home south of this village. Mr. Heffron had not been ill and his death was very unexpected. He was 61 years of age and is survived by his wife and one daughter, Mary. The family formerly resided on West Main street in this village, moving to the Tobin farm about two years ago. Funeral services were held at St. Patrick's church on Thursday morning and burial was made in the Catholic cemetery in High street.

From Geneva Daily Times 26 June 1906

Phelps, N. Y. - Patrick Heffron,
a well-known farmer residing south of Phelps, died at the City Hospital, Geneva, Wednesday evening. Mr. Heffron had been ill for the past five months and was taken to the hospital Monday where an operation was performed. The operation disclosed a malignant growth from which a recovery was impossible. The deceased was born at Weedsport but had lived here for the past thirty years. He was 54 years of age and leaves a widow, one son, Linus, and three daughters, Mrs. Daniel Lynch, and the Misses Anna and Julia Heffron, all of Phelps.

From Geneva Daily Times 11 February 1915

Mrs. Sarah Heffron
died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Thomas Cuddy, of 10 West avenue, this morning at 2:30 o'clock. She is survived by one son, William Heffron; one daughter, Mrs. Cuddy, and one grandson, Michael Kelleher, all of Geneva. Burial St. Patrick's Cemetery

From Ontario County Journal 5 October 1883

Rushville, N. Y. -
The funeral of John Heimer was largely attended at the Congregational church Sunday afternoon. He recently returned home from Chicago sick with consumption, contracted from exposure while a street car conductor. He died on Saturday, Sept. 29th, 1883, aged 24 years.

From Geneva Daily Times 12 November 1901

Julius August Hein
died at the family residence, 4 Milk street, at 4:10 o'clock yesterday afternoon, aged 59 years. The deceased had been ill since last January.  The cause of death was Bright's disease.  Mr. Hein was one of the oldest German residents, having resided here nearly 40 years.  He was a member of the German Lutheran church and of White Springs lodge 129, A. O. U. W.  The deceased is survived by a wife and three children, Emma, Helena and Herman Hein, also by two brothers, Theodore and William Hein, of this city, and by three sisters, Mrs. Augusta Nerlich and Miss Otella Buchholz, of this city, and Miss Matilda Hein, of Rochester.  The funeral will take place from the house at 2 o'clock and from the German Lutheran church, in Milton street, at 2:30 o'clock Thursday afternoon.  Interment will be in Glenwood cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 16 February 1907

Miss Mary Heins, seventy years of age, died yesterday at the home of A. M. Lynch on the Preemption Road. The deceased is survived only by one sister, who resides in Ireland. The funeral will take place at 10 o'clock Monday morning from St. Francis de Sales Church. Burial will be in St. Patrick's cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 12 January 1915

John F. Heister, of 30 Rose street, died this morning at 7:20, following an illness of several months. Mr. Heister has been connected with the Phillips and Clark Stove Company for about 15 years. He was a member of Ark Lodge, No. 33, F. and A. M., and also of Geneva Commandery, No. 29, Knights Templars. He is survived by his wife and one daughter, Miss Elsa Heister; also one brother in Troy, N. Y., where the body will be taken tomorrow afternoon following a funeral service in charge of the Knights Templars, at 3:30 o'clock tomorrow afternoon, from his late home. Dr. D. H. Craver of the North Presbyterian church will participate. Interment will be made in Oakwood Cemetery at Troy, N. Y., where Mr. Heister and family formerly resided.

From Geneva Advertiser 1 January 1901

Mrs. Herman Heitzscholt
died at her home, 402 Main street, Saturday afternoon, Dec. 29, at 3:30 o'clock, aged 78 years. She had resided in Geneva 45 years.  She is survived by her husband and two children, Augustus Heitzscholt and Mrs. Wm. Weisbrot, all of this city.  Funeral this afternoon at 3:30 from the house.

From Ontario County Journal 29 July 1898

Phelps, N. Y. - Mrs. Julietta Helmer,
wife of the late Wm. Helmer of this village, who had been an invalid for a long time, died last Friday at the home of her son on Clifton street, in the 75th year of her age. Two sons, F. DeSalvo and Fletcher, survive, The funeral services were held from the residence last Sunday afternoon and interment made in the Phelps cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 1 April 1909

Daniel Helms,
aged 44 years, died this morning at 4 o'clock at the home of his mother, Mrs. Mary Helms, No. 106 East North street. He is survived by his mother; two brothers, Grannis and William Helms; and two sisters, Mrs. Louis Probasco of Rochester and Miss Lillian M. Helms of Geneva.

From Ontario County Journal 5 December 1890

Charles G. Hemenway,
of South Bristol, one of the best known and most respected citizens of the county, died at his home near Bristol Springs last week Wednesday of heart disease, at the age of 67 years and 3 months. The deceased was born in Scipio, Cayuga county, August 28th, 1823, and at the age of 3 years came with his family to Canandaigua. From that time to his death, he lived in Ontario county, with the exception of about six years spent in Auburn, Waterloo and Ohio, and thirty years of his life were spent in this village. In his younger days he was widely known as a successful teacher, having followed that profession for about fifty terms. In 1851 and 1852 he was principal of the Waterloo Union School. He was subsequently principal of the schools of districts Nos. 10 and 11 in this village, and he numbered among his pupils young men who have since become prominent in various walks of life. Mr. Hemenway represented the town of South Bristol in the Board of Supervisors with unswerving fidelity and signal ability for seven terms, and held many other positions of honor and trust. He was a devoted husband, a kind, indulgent parent, a generous genial neighbor, a true friend, and a safe adviser. Besides a widow, he leaves one son, ex-Supervisor George B. Hemenway, of Bristol Springs, and one daughter, Mrs. Frank Standish, of the same place.

From Ontario County Journal 13 October 1899

Bristol Springs, N. Y. - Mrs. Harriet Hemenway,
widow of the late Charles G. Hemenway, and mother of George B. Hemenway, of Naples, died at the home of her grandson, W. L. Hemenway, on Monday. Mrs. Hemenway came to this town with her husband and family in the early sixties, and for many years lived on the farm now owned by Frank Standish, on what is known as "Stid Hill," where by hard work and attention to details, the family were successful, Mrs. Hemenway bearing the full share of the burden during those years of toil, and later removing to the smaller farm where both her husband and herself ended their days. Deceased was about 75 years of age, was the mother of three children, two of whom, Herbert and Harriet, have passed away, leaving George B. the only surviving member of the family. Her life and example are well worthy of emulation. Funeral services were held on Wednesday, Rev. B. F. Millard officiating.

From Geneva Gazette 24 April 1885

Albert M. Heminway
died very suddenly at Clifton Springs on Wednesday last.  The deceased is a graduate of Hobart College, class of '44.

From Geneva Daily Times 20 January 1908

The funeral of Charles Norton Hemiup was held this afternoon at 2:30 o'clock from his late residence, No. 84 Geneva street, and at 3 o'clock from the Universalist church. The members of Mr. Hemiup's Sunday School Class acted as bearers and the members of the Geneva Bar Association attended in a body. Burial was in Washington Street Cemetery.

From Geneva Gazette 7 May 1847

Died, in this village, on Monday morning, 1st inst., after a short illness, Mr. George Hemiup, aged 56 years. Thus has passed away one of our oldest inhabitants and best citizens. The deceased came here in 1805, when there were only six buildings on Seneca street. Apart from the mere fact of death, we are always deeply pained at parting with those who almost belonged to another age. We part with them as heirlooms of Time. But the King of Terrors pays no respect to age, sex or conditions and in this stroke of Providence we have another warning to be prepared for the dread realities of Eternity.

From Geneva Daily Times 10 November 1903

Lucy R. Hemiup,
widow of the late Morris W. Hemiup, died at 12:20 o'clock this morning at her late home, No. 84 Geneva street, aged eighty-six years. Mrs. Hemiup who has been troubled with bronchitis for a number of years, was taken ill with an acute stage of the disease a week ago which resulted in her death. The deceased who was a daughter of the late Imley Prescott, of the Town of Phelps, was born in the Town of Phelps September 2, 1817. Her grandfather, Joel Prescott, was the first physician in the Town of Phelps. Mrs. Hemiup came to this city as a girl seventy-three years ago today. She is survived by one son, Charles N. Hemiup of this city. The funeral will take place Friday afternoon at 3 o'clock from the Universalist church. Rev. George C. Baner will officiate. Burial will follow in Washington street cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 23 September 1907

Mrs. Mary Hemiup, widow of the late Cornelius Hemiup, died Saturday afternoon at the Thompson Memorial Hospital in Canandaigua. She was 69 years old and was born in Ogdensburg. About fifteen years ago, she came to this city and has lived here ever since. The remains were brought to this city Saturday evening to the home of her daughter, Mrs. Charles W. McDougall, No. 138 Castle street. She is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Charles McDougall of this city, and Mrs. Byron F. Vandenburg of Niagara Falls; two brothers, James McFeggan of Canandaigua, and George McFeggan of Buffalo. The funeral will be held tomorrow afternoon at 2:30 o'clock from St. Peter's Episcopal church, of which the deceased was an active member. Rev. J. B. Hubbs, D. D., rector, will officiate and interment will be made in Washington Street Cemetery.

From Ontario Messenger 1 September 1852

In this village, on Saturday afternoon last, of cholera, David L. Hempstead of Geneva, and a member of the firm of King, Stancliff & Co., contractors of the Canandaigua & Niagara Falls R. R. Mr. H. arrived in this village on the cars from Geneva about 11 o'clock A. M. of that day quite sick, having been seized with violent vomiting soon after he got aboard the cars. We understand he had been affected with diarhoea for several days, and in the morning had taken only a light breakfast, but had eaten rather freely of raw tomatoes. He was a gentleman universally esteemed, and his sudden death will prove a great loss not only to his relatives and personal friends, of whom he had many, but to the community at large.

Return to Ontario County Homepage

Copyright © 2004-10, Ontario County NYGenWeb and each contributor and author of materials herein. All rights reserved.

Updated 18 August 2010