"Gri" to "Gz" Obituaries

From Ontario County Journal 7 July 1899

Bristol Springs, N. Y. Mrs. Gribben,
familiarly known as Grandma Gribben, died on Sunday, July 2, at the home of James Barrett, Mrs. Gribben being a daughter of the deceased. Mrs. Gribben was probably the oldest person in town at the time of her death as her age was about 96 years. Her failure was gradual and she received all the care that kind friends could bestow.

From Geneva Daily Times 1 June 1944

Phelps, N. Y. - Mrs. Eliza J. Gridley,
age 87, died early Saturday morning at the home of her grandson, Chester Gridley, after a long illness. She leaves two daughters, Mrs. Phebe Huff of Marion, and Miss Mabel Gridley of Phelps; one son, Vernon Gridley of Newark; one brother, Rev. J. L. Giffard of Warsaw, Ind.; one sister, Mrs. George Weimer of Newark, five grandchildren; one great-grandchild, and several nieces and nephews. Funeral services will be held from her late home today at 2 p.m. with the Rev. R. Bell officiating. Burial in Willow Ave. Cemetery in Newark.

From Ontario County Journal 29 January 1897

Harrison Gridley,
who died at his home on Gibson street Friday last at 3:30 p.m., was one of the oldest of Canandaigua's business men. He came here in 1857 and established the business which he has since conducted. Deceased was born at Cazenovia in 1822. Death resulted from Brights disease; deceased had been ill for several months. Mr. Gridley is survived by a widow and one daughter, Mrs. J. G. Blue, of Waukesha, Wis. The funeral was held from his late residence Monday. Interment was at Elmira.

From Geneva Daily Times 14 December 1907

Canandaigua, N. Y. -
A general gloom spread over the village yesterday when it was announced that the death of Alexander Grieve, a prominent and highly esteemed citizen, had occurred. Although Mr. Grieve's illness had been of several months' duration, his death was not expected. Complications of heart trouble and dropsy were the causes of the termination of a useful and busy life. His death occurred at the home of his daughter, Mrs. George D. Wood, where he had resided for several years.

From Ontario County Chronicle 15 April 1903

The people of Canandaigua were shocked early Monday morning to learn of the sudden and unexpected death of Mrs. Alexander Grieve at her home in Gibson street about 10 o'clock Sunday evening. Mrs. Grieve had attended the Presbyterian church, of which she was a member, that evening, and upon reaching her home after the service, she was in her usual good health. She had laid aside her wraps and leaving her husband in the living room, she went into her room. Almost instantly her husband heard her fall, and rushing to her side he was horrified to find that she was dead. Physicians were summoned, but their efforts were of no avail as death was instant. Death was due to apoplexy. Mrs. Grieve was widely known in Canandaigua and beloved by all who knew her. By virtue of the prominence of the family and by reason of the fact that she was seen at church in the evening, her death was a great shock to all. Mrs. Grieve was a daughter of the late John Rannie of Palmyra. She was born in London, Eng., about 60 years ago and came to this country with her parents about 38 years ago. She resided in Palmyra where she met and was married to Alex. Grieve. About twenty years ago the family removed to this village, where Mr. Grieve is extensively engaged in the manufacture of crackers. Besides a husband there survive two daughters, Mrs. Geo. t. Thompson and Mrs. George D. Wood of this village, and one sister, Mrs. William M. Smith, also of Canandaigua. The funeral will be held from the family home at 2 o'clock this Wednesday afternoon. The Rev. Arthur Dougall of the Presbyterian church will officiate.

From Geneva Gazette 27 December 1826

DIED - In Geneva, on Thursday morning last, in the 53d year of his age, Walter Grieve, Esq., Brigadier General of the 4th Brigade, New York State Artillery. Gen. Grieve was a native of Dumfrieshire, Scotland; he emigrated to the United States and settled in this village about thirty-two years ago, having been one of its first settlers; at which period there were but three houses in the place. On Saturday his remains were interred with Military honors, being attended to the grave by detachments of Artillery and Light Infantry, and Officers of Artillery and other corps in uniform, and by a large concourse of citizens.

From Ontario County Journal 30 October 1896

West Bloomfield, N. Y. -  Elias Griffin,
an old and respected resident of this town, passed very quietly away at his home on Sunday morning. He had been failing in health for the past two years and his death was not unexpected. The deceased was 80 years of age. Besides his widow, he leaves two children, Preston W. and Belle Griffin, both of this town. Funeral services were held Wednesday afternoon, Rev. Mr. Crowel of Rush, assisted by Rev. Newton Bates, officiated.

From Geneva Daily Times 8 November 1906

Patrick Griffin died suddenly shortly before noon today in Moylan's saloon on Exchange street. Coroner A. L. Buckholz was summoned and after investigating the case allowed Lynch Brothers, undertakers, to take charge of the body. The body will be removed to the home of the dead man's sister, Mrs. Mary Shean, widow of Joseph Shean, who lives in the rear of 225 Exchange street. Griffin was about 42 years old. Griffin has been quite a heavy drinker for several years past and was a well-known character in police court. He had no home. Last night he slept in an old wagon standing in the rear of Davidson's flour mill on South Exchange street, and it is supposed that the exposure caused his death. He went into Moylan's saloon early this morning, and at that time was still shivering from the cold. Some one bought him a drink of whiskey and Griffin then sat down for a few moments, after which he went outside. He returned, however, shortly afterward and resumed his seat. He went to sleep and nobody paid any attention to him, until shortly after 11 o'clock, when some one went to arouse him so that access could be obtained to a trap door, it was discovered that Griffin was dead.

From Geneva Daily Times 22 December 1903

Canandaigua, N. Y. -
A death today that was particularly sad, was that of Mrs. William Griffin, wife of the operating superintendent of the Rochester & Eastern. Deceased was aged about thirty-five years, and leaves a husband and three little sons, Carl, Tom, and Melvin, aged nine, seven and four years, respectively. She had been in poor health for some time, and her death was not unexpected. Mrs. Griffin was a native of Canada. She had lived since her marriage in Detroit, Mich., and in Vermont, where her husband had been engaged, as here, in big railroading positions and they have lived here but a short time. The funeral is to be held Wednesday afternoon and the burial will be at Woodlawn cemetery.

From Geneva Courier 9 July 1862

Sad Accident - Edward Griffith,
a son of Theodore Griffith, of East Bloomfield, lost his life on Saturday, the 28th ult., by the accidental discharge of a gun.  He had been out hunting and on his return home in attempting to alight from a carriage, the gun was discharged, both charges entering his breast and killing him instantly.  He was 19 years old.

From Ontario County Journal 6 May 1910

West Bloomfield, N. Y. - 
On Friday, the remains of Mrs. J. C. Griffith, who died at her home in Buffalo, were brought here for burial in the Rural cemetery. Mrs. Griffith, who was 73 years old, was well and favorably known here, having resided in town for many years. She is survived by three children, Mrs. Wilbur Copeland of Alpine, and Miss Alice Griffith and Edward Griffith of Buffalo; also one brother, Col. Edward Brady of Harrisburg, Pa.

From Ontario County Journal 19 August 1910

The death of Mrs. Jeanette Baker Griffith, widow of William Griffith, occurred at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Clyde Taylor, at East Bloomfield on Wednesday evening, aged 65 years. Apoplexy, with which she was stricken the day before, was the cause of death. She is survived by three daughters, Mrs. Taylor, with whom she made her home; Mrs. Richard Ward of Cresent City, Ill.; and Mrs. Waldo Parrish of Ionia. One sister, Mrs. Rachel Stone of Bristol Center, also survives. Funeral services will be held tomorrow afternoon at 3 o'clock.

From Ontario County Journal 31 March 1899

East Bloomfield, N. Y. -  William Griffith,
aged 61 years, a well-known resident of this place, died at his home, about two miles north of the village, Saturday morning. He had been ill with pneumonia  about a week but was not considered dangerous until Friday. The deceased was born in this town and had spent the greater part of his life here. Besides a widow, the following children survive: Mrs. Parish of Ionia; Mrs. Ward of the west, and Mrs. Clyde Taylor of Ionia. The funeral services were held at the home on Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock. Rev. B. F. Hitchcock, pastor of the M. E. church, officiated. The services at the grave were conducted by the A. O. U. W. of which the deceased was a member. The flowers were many and beautiful.

From Ontario County Journal 30 April 1897

East Bloomfield, N. Y. -  Mrs. Hattie M. Grimble,
wife of Edward Grimble, died on Tuesday, at her home in South Bloomfield, from measles, at the age of 31 years. She was taken sick only a week ago, and her decline was rapid. She was the oldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Nudd. She is survived by a husband and four small children. The funeral services were held at the house on Thursday afternoon at 2 o'clock. Rev. C. J. Clausen of Canandaigua officiated.

From Geneva Daily Times 17 August 1908

Phelps, N. Y. -
The funeral services of the late Thomas Grimes of Clifton Springs took place this morning at the Catholic church at Phelps. The interment was made in the Phelps cemetery. Mr. Grimes died on Saturday morning at his home about one mile south of this village after an illness extending over the past year. He suffered an attack of pneumonia from which he never fully recovered. He was 42 years old and is survived by his wife and six children.

From 29 September 1908

Phelps, N. Y. - William,
the eighteen-months-old son of Mrs. Thomas Grimes, who resides west of Phelps who was frightfully scalded by falling into a tub of boiling water a few days ago, died Saturday. Within four weeks Mrs. Grimes has been bereaved by the death of her husband and child. Other misfortunes have come to her by the loss of a work horse and two cows since the death of Mr. Grimes.

From Geneva Daily Times 25 November 1903

Phelps, N. Y. -
The death of David Grimsley occurred Monday. Mr. Grimsley was born at Oxfordshire, England, eighty years ago, and had been a resident of the town of Phelps for the past thirty-five years. He is survived by four sons and two daughters. The funeral will be held from his late home Wednesday afternoon. Burial will be made at Plainsville.

From Victor Herald 30 November 1899

John Grinnell, an old and respected resident of this village, died of pneumonia, after a short illness, on Sunday evening, at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Louis Remer. Mr. Grinnell was born in the town of Farmington 73 years ago. He afterward moved to Brownsville, and conducted a general store there for many years. He is survived by a brother, George Grinnell of Farmington, two daughters, Mrs. John Stewart of Elbridge, and Mrs. Louis Remer of this place; and a son, Frank Grinnell of Macedon.

From Ontario County Journal 18 March 1898

West Bloomfield, N. Y. - Alexander Griswold,
a man 50 years of age, living in the southern part of the town, committed suicide by taking morphine on Monday afternoon. He went into the house shortly after noon from work and washed himself, telling his wife it was for the last time. She gave no particular thought to the words. Griswold then hitched up his horse and drove to Honeoye Falls, where he procured some morphine, and returned to his home. He put the horse in the stable, entered the house, going immediately to his room and locked his door. This action startled his wife, and she sent her small son around to look in the window. He found his father trying to take the cork out of a small bottle, and not being able to do this, he broke the bottle. Mrs. Griswold, becoming alarmed, sent at once for Dr. Sayre of Allen's Hill, who lived a mile away. An older brother coming in, broke the door open and found his father on the bed, still conscious. Mr. Griswold told his son he had taken enough morphine to kill himself, and that if that did not do it, he had more. Dr. Sayre arrived quickly and did everything in his power to counteract the effect of poison. Mr. Griswold died at about 9 o'clock. He leaves, besides his wife, nine children, five boys and four girls, two of whom are married. Funeral was held on Wednesday afternoon from his late home, with interment at Allen's Hill.

From Geneva Daily Times 13 February 1907

Naples, N. Y. - Fisher W. Griswold, a long-time resident of Naples, was buried Sunday in the Lee cemetery, West River, close to the farm where he spent his youth and early manhood. He was 86 years old. His death occurred Friday while on a trip to Hornell. For three years past, since he left Naples, he had lived with his daughter, Mrs. Henry Gardner, of North Cohocton. Mr. Griswold, after he left his farm in Italy, was connected with the staging and livery business for many years, with headquarters at Naples. He inaugurated the 'bus line from the village to the railroad station in 1892. He had three wives, the first was a Miss Flint, of Italy. Three daughters from this union survive him, Mrs. Gardner, Mrs. Frank Kennedy, of Italy, Mrs. Litzendorf of Honeoye. He next married Mrs. Pollock of Newark, and lastly Mrs. Frank Whitman of Naples. He sold his business in Naples six years ago, having been an active man in various occupations for over sixty years.

From Ontario County Journal 28 September 1894

Naples, N. Y. -
The death, by drowning, of George Griswold, aged 26, aroused the town to a high pitch of excitement. His body was not found until nearly twenty-four hours after his death. He left his home on Marks street Wednesday evening to come downtown and started to return about 9 o'clock. He was not seen after that, but not much was thought of his prolonged absence until Thursday afternoon, when search began, and at 6 o'clock his body was found, about one-half mile below Marks street in the creek. Coroner Wettling was soon at the spot, and, summoning a jury, the work of investigation began and continued until Friday at 3 p.m., when a verdict was reached as follows: That on his way home from the village, while crossing Marks street bridge in an intoxicated condition, he fell into the stream and was accidentally drowned. Some believed that he had been robbed and pushed into the stream, but no evidence whatever of this nature was obtained. The water was very high, and he was apparently unable to contend against it. His cap was washed ashore a few rods below the bridge, and the finding of that led to the search down the stream. Griswold was an honest, hard-working young man, on whom his parents and sisters depended largely for support. It was not generally known that he was intemperate, and it seems that he was not till recently. He was the son of Sylvester Griswold. There is great sympathy for the distressed family.

From Ontario County Journal 11 October 1895

Naples, N. Y. - Mrs. Mary P. Griswold,
relict of the late Alfred Griswold, died at her home in this village Monday morning, October 7, aged 84 years. Her early home was in Connecticut, and her maiden name Mary Putnam Stanley, being directly descended from General Israel Putnam. All of her six children survive her, and all were present at the funeral Wednesday afternoon. She united with the Presbyterian church in 1841, but was subsequently dismissed to the Methodist church. Her children are: Mrs. C. E. Otto, Messrs. Edgar A., Henry L., and Fred E. Griswold of this place; Mrs. Eveline Curtis of Auburn and Mrs. Addie Curtis of Washington, D. C.

From Geneva Daily Times 30 August 1905

Naples, N. Y. -
Yesterday morning at Willard State Hospital, occurred the death of Moses Griswold, of this village. After eighty-two years of a strenuous life, his daily tasks having been regularly performed up to a year ago, he was taken ill and was recently taken to the hospital for treatment. Mr. Griswold was a man of great strength and endurance. He had resided here forty-five years, coming to Naples from Yates county, where he married Miss Lydia Richardson, fifty-seven years ago. His handiwork has left its impress in many places in our town and especially was in demand by horticulturists and fruit raisers. For many years he was foreman of the great fruit farm of Dr. D. B. Seeley in Vine Valley, His wife survives him, also two daughters, Mrs. Martin Hatch and Mrs. Frank Cleveland, of Naples; one son, Duane, of Dunkirk; two sisters, Mrs. Babcock, of Olean, and Mrs. Hues of Michigan.

From Ontario County Journal 3 June 1898

Naples, N. Y. - Sylvester Griswold,
a resident of Naples for half a century, was buried on Sunday. His age was 58. A wife and four daughters survive him. The oldest is Mrs. Augustus Gordon, now of Middlesex, recently of Canandaigua.

From Ontario County Chronicle 19 September 1900

Phelps, N. Y. - Frederick Groat, Sr., was found dead in his barn by his son, Edward, Saturday afternoon. Mr. Groat had suffered a shock of paralysis some time ago which left him in very feeble health. He was born in Germany 78 years ago, and had been a resident of Phelps for the last 64 years. He is survived by a wife and six sons, William, Edward and Adelbert, of this place; Fred, of Lyons; Charles of Newark, and Henry of Rochester; also one daughter, Mrs. C. H. Tracy of Rochester. The funeral was held Tuesday afternoon.

From Geneva Daily Times 2 January 1909

Phelps, N. Y. -
The death of Mrs. Frederick Groat occurred at her home on West Main street yesterday noon. Death was the result of a stroke of paralysis which she had suffered about two weeks ago. Mrs. Groat was 76 years of age. She was born in Germany but came to this country at the age of sixteen years and had been a resident of Phelps for the past 45 years. Near surviving relatives are six sons, Charles of Newark, Henry of California, Frederick, Jr., of New York, Edward of Phelps, Adelbert and William of Rochester; and one daughter, Mrs. C. H. Tracey of Rochester. The funeral services will be held at 10 o'clock Monday morning at St. Francis church.

From Ontario County Journal 7 July 1876

John Q. Groesbeck,
a prominent and respected citizen of Gorham, died at his home near Gorham village, on Monday evening, July 3d, aged 76 years.  "Esquire" Groesbeck, as he was usually called, was one of the oldest residents of the county, having come to Gorham, Ontario county, on horseback from one of the eastern States when he was eighteen years of age - nearly sixty years ago.  His occupation for many years was that of wagon maker, which he followed until about twenty-five years ago, when he retired to his farm about a mile west of the village.  He was a modest, unassuming man, never seeking position or prominence - but was honored for several years with the office of Justice of the Peace.  In politics, he was a democrat of the Jackson school, and being a man of more than average intelligence and a persistent reader, he was always well posted and always ready to advance strong arguments in support of his opinions.

He has been quite feeble for several years, and for several weeks preceding his death was in great pain, so that the grim messenger, long anticipated, was not an unwelcome guest.  Esquire Groesbeck had reared a large family of children, some of whom have preceded him over the river, and with his wife welcome him on the other shore.  Two sons and three daughters remain.  Of the latter are Mrs. Homer Millspaugh of Gorham, Mrs. J. R. Horn of Rochester, and an unmarried daughter - Adelaide - all three of whom were present to minister to his wants and smooth the transit from this life to the other.  The funeral services were held on Wednesday morning at 10 o'clock, and were attended by a large concourse of people.

From Geneva Courier 12 July 1876

GORHAM - Died, in Gorham, N. Y., on the evening of the 3d, John Q. Grosbeck in the 78th year of his age.  Esquire Grosbeck was among our most respected citizens, a pioneer of the town, and a justice of the peace for many years.  Few men among us can leave a better reputation for a correct moral life, of one of a quiet, peaceful character than he.  A man of decided opinions, and very firm in his convictions, he will be deeply lamented.  He had been in poor health for some years, and several times supposed to be near his end.  His daughter, Mrs. Thorne, from Rochester, was with him several days and his sons in the west will be here.

From Ontario County Journal 22 September 1882

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - Mr. Patrick Grogan
died Thursday, September 14th, aged sixty-four years. Funeral services were held on Saturday at St. Bridget's church.

From Ontario Repository and Messenger 26 April 1876

The wife of Mr. James Groom, of Academy, died very suddenly last Thursday evening of dropsy of the heart, while engaged in quilting.

From Ontario County Journal 27 May 1910

James Groome,
aged 80 years, a respected resident of the south part of this town, died at the Canandaigua hospital on Wednesday afternoon, following a long illness. Funeral services will be held at Kennedy's undertaking rooms today, and burial will be beside his wife and several children in the old Lucas burying ground south of Cheshire. One son, D. Wells Groome, and one daughter, Mrs. Frank Coye; also two sisters, Mrs. Mary Groome and Mrs. Amanda Clarke, survive.

From Ontario County Journal 23 July 1909

Cheshire, N. Y. -
The funeral of Mrs. James Groome, who passed away on Saturday morning after a brief illness, was largely attended at the church on Sunday at 2 o'clock. Rev. J. S. Ebersole of Canandaigua conducted the services. Mrs. Groome was born in this town 67 years ago and had spent the whole of her life in the immediate vicinity. There are few homes here where she has not ministered in a kindly manner in occasion of sickness and death. The aged and feeble husband has the sympathy of all.

From Ontario County Journal 21 April 1876

Cheshire, N. Y. - Mrs. Eliza Grooms,
wife of James Grooms, died very suddenly last Thursday with heart disease, at her home about two miles west of here.  Mr. Grooms lost two children last spring, and now his wife is taken from him. He has the sympathy of the entire community.

From Geneva Courier 18 April 1877

Oliver H. Grow, father of Mrs. Mary J. Grow-Mills, died at the residence of his son-in-law, Mrs. James Mills, on Sabbath P. M., April 15th.  With the death of Mr. Grow we mark the loss of another of the oldest and most respected inhabitants of this section of the country.  Mr. Grow was born in the year 1790 and therefore at the time of his death had attained the great age of 89 years.  He was born in the State of Vermont where he spent his boyhood and youth, coming to central New York in 1809, after he had reached his nineteenth year.  He lived for a short time in Geneva, then went to Romulus in Seneca county, where he engaged in teaching school.  After leaving Romulus, he went to Victor in this county, where he married in 1813, and where he resided until within the past year when he returned to Geneva to spend the remainder of his days.  He reared a large family of children, ten in all, but two of whom survive him.  Eight children and his beloved wife have preceded him to the grave, but in all these trials of his faith, he maintained a calm trust in his God.  As a husband he was loving and devoted; as a father, tender and indulgent; as a friend and neighbor, considerate and true.  For more than forty years he led a Christian life.  He had the power of godliness in his heart; and it was manifested in his honesty, patience, faith and constancy.  He was a good student of the Bible.  He had read it through more than thirty-five times, and was able to locate any verse of Scripture almost as soon as it was repeated.  Even during the last year of his life, when his eyes were dim, and his strength failing, he read his Bible through three times.  The word of God was his constant companion and from its blessed pages he drew daily comfort.  He lived by faith in God, and in his death triumphed through the grace of his Redeemer.  His remains were taken to Victor for interment.  The funeral services were held in the Presbyterian church of Victor, Rev. Mr. Palmer of Penn Yan officiating.  He has laid aside the staff of the pilgrim, for the scepter of a king; and the cross of the way-farer for the crown of the conqueror.  "He sleeps the sleep which God gives his beloved."

From Geneva Gazette 4 November 1864

Died, at Andersonville, Ga., in July last, Almon L. Guile, Sergeant in the 154th N. Y. V. Deceased was a brother of Mr. Geo. Guile and formerly resided in this village; he was taken prisoner at Gettysburg. Mr. Guile sustained his christian integrity till the last; he won during his career the unbounded confidence of his officers, and on two occasions bore dispatches through the rebel lines to detached portions of the regiment voluntarily -- a task in the execution of which he bravely bore his life in his hands. Mr. Guile ever firmly asserted and held whatever he believed to be the right.

From Ontario County Times 29 January 1879

Victor, N. Y. - Mrs. Annie E. Guile
died on Tuesday evening, at the home of her father, Mr. Elisha Peck. A large circle of friends mourn her loss. The funeral services were held at the house on Friday morning.

From Geneva Gazette 11 June 1880

Homer W. Guilford
died at his residence on Genesee street on Wednesday morning last. He had been an invalid, suffering from dropsy and heart disease many years, incapacitating him for labor of any kind. A fatal termination was not unlooked for at any time. The widow and four children are left to mourn their great loss. Deceased was second son of the late Rufus Guilford. His wife was a daughter of the late Thos. Ottley of Seneca Castle. His sons are Frank P., cigar maker of this place, Wm. H., telegraph operator of Syracuse, and Frederick, a lad of 13; his daughter, Mrs. Ella, wife of W. G. Leake of New York. The funeral of Mr. Guilford will take place tomorrow at 2 o'clock p.m. from the house, and at 3 p.m. from the M. E. church.

From Geneva Daily Times 3 February 1905

Mrs. Jane P. Guilford,
seventy-seven years of age, died at her late residence, 183 Genesee street, at 4:30 o'clock yesterday afternoon. Mrs. Guilford had been a resident of Geneva for nearly fifty years. Her husband, Homer W. Guilford, who died twenty-five years ago, was a prominent dry goods merchant in Geneva. Deceased is survived by one daughter, Mrs. Ella Leake, with whom Mrs. Guilford lived, and by two sons, Frank P. Guilford and Fred R. Guilford, of this city. The funeral will be held Sunday afternoon at 3 o'clock from her late home, Rev. C. E. Jewell officiating. Burial will be in Washington street cemetery.

From Geneva Gazette 28 September 1877

Died -
in Phelps on the 24th inst., Mr. Rufus Guilford, aged 77 years and 1 month.  Mr. Guilford was formerly and for many years an honored resident and farmer of this town, or of that portion of it lying within the present boundaries of Seneca. He was born at Conway, Vt., Aug. 22, 1800, and at the age of 24 moved west and located at Orleans in this county, and engaged in the manufacture of cloth.  After remaining there three years he removed to Onondaga county and engaged in farming.  In a year or two he returned to Ontario and bought and cultivated a farm a little south of Seneca Castle; from thence he removed to the premises on the Castle road now owned by Mr. Geo. W. Root, nurseryman, and built a spacious brick mansion now occupied by Mr. R.  About ten years ago Mr. Guilford sold this splendid farm and purchased and removed to another in Phelps, where he spent the remainder of his days.

Mr. Guilford in early life gave his heart to God and lived the life of a devout and conscientious Christian, in full membership with the Presbyterian Church, and in that faith passed away, triumphant over death in the cheering hope of awakening to blissful immortality.  It can be truthfully said of Mr. Guilford that he never wronged his fellowmen.  We shall bear him in fragrant remembrance as a valued friend and patron.  Last Wednesday his remains were brought to Geneva for interment beside those of wife and children gone before.  The ailment of which he died was dropsy.

From Geneva Advertiser 17 March 1903

William J. Guilford
died at the home of his mother on Genesee street last Saturday afternoon at two o'clock, aged 52 years and 3 months. He was an expert telegrapher, but losing his sight had to give up his position in Syracuse and came home. The Syracuse Herald says he was one of the best men in the employ of the Western Union company. He was the oldest son of Mr. and Mrs. Homer W. Guilford and is survived by his mother, one sister, Mrs. Ella Leake and two brothers, Frank and Fred, all residing here. He was never married. The funeral occurs this afternoon at 3 o'clock from the house. He was very patient through all his affliction, and it was very sad to see him walking in the street guided by a friend, but he always responded cheerfully to the greeting of his many friends.

From unknown source

Charles A. Gulick, Sr. age 86
Woodside, DE
Charles A Gulick, Sr. of Woodside died Sunday August 7, 2005, in Westminster Health Center, Dover.  He was 86.
Mr. Gulick was born August 6, 1919 in Greece, N. Y., son of the late Harry S. and Bertha Alt Gulick.
He began his education in a one room schoolhouse before attending Palmyra High School until age 15 when he left school to enter the work field.
Mr. Gulick worked nights for 45 years with the New York Central and the Leigh Valley Railroad and for 25 of those years worked mornings picking up milk from area dairy farmers for delivery to the milk plant.  He also worked for Garlocks in Palmyra and Gleason Works in Rochester, NY.
He enjoyed gardening and was featured in the Delaware State News on August 16, 1996, for growing a 9-foot tomato plant.
Mr. Gulick was a member of the Whatcoat United Methodist Church for 25 years.
In addition to his parents he was preceded in death by a daughter Sarah Copp; a baby son; four brothers and two sisters.
He is survived by his loving wife of 65 years and caregiver, Mildred E. Gulick; a son Charles A. Gulick, Jr. of Oseola, MO; six daughters and two sons-in-law, Mary Lou Bennett of Orlando, FL; Norma  and Robert Williams of Oseola, MO; Virginia and Lynn Hurley, Dover, DE; Beverly Bennett, of Arizona; June Gulick and Barbara Lacasse of Chicopee, MA; 23 grandchildren; 35 great-grandchildren; and two great-great-grandchildren.
Services will be at 11 a.m. August 10, 2005 in the Pippin Funeral Home 119 West Camden-Wyoming Ave., Camden-Wyoming, DE. Burial will be in the Odd Fellows Cemetery, Camden, DE. Instead of flowers, the family requests memorial contributions to the Whatcoat United Methodist Church, 16 N. Main St., Camden, DE 19934.

Charles A. Gulick lived outside Manchester and Shortsville for many years. Submitted by June Gulick who would welcome contact with acquaintances of Mr. Gulick.

From Geneva Daily Times 25 February 1898

William Gulick died at 5 o'clock this morning at his residence, 210 Genesee street, aged 78 years. The deceased was one of Geneva's well known citizens, and had resided here for many years. He is the father of Mrs. Caroline A. Stanish of this city. A son, Frank Gulick of New York city, also survives him. Mr. Gulick had been in feeble health for the past ten years. The funeral will take place from the late residence, at 3 o'clock Sunday afternoon. Rev. Dr. A. W. Broadway, pastor of the Methodist church, will officiate.

From Ontario County Journal 11 February 1910

Manchester, N. Y. - Reuben Gulvin
died suddenly at his home on Wednesday morning. He has been in feeble health for some time. In less than an hour after eating breakfast and while seated in a chair death came. He was born 79 years ago in Kent county, England, and came to Manchester in 1859. He was married in 1871 to Miss Maria Gulvin of this village, who survives him. One daughter, Mrs. Albert Hawkes of Manchester also survives. For over 14 years Mr. Gulvin carried the Manchester mail to and from Shortsville. His obliging manner won everyone for his friend.

From Ontario County Times 5 April 1876

A correspondent of the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle communicates the following facts respecting the late Esther B. Gunn, whose death was announced in these columns last week: "Mrs. Gunn's 93d birthday occurred on the 14th day of January last and up to within a few days previous to her death, her health and all her faculties were good, and she was daily engaged in doing fine sewing and household duties. Nearly three years since the writer had the pleasure of meeting Mrs. Gunn, who was in perfect health, and upon that occasion learned something from her in regard to her early advent to the Genesee country which we append to this notice of her death.

Like other portions of the Genesee country, East Bloomfield was first settled by New Englanders. Its settlement commences simultaneously with that of Canandaigua. Early after the opening of navigation, the first settlers in East Bloomfield left Schenectady, some of the men with household furniture and stores in boats, but the most of the party upon pack horses, following generally the Indian trails. Amos Brunson first came to the town of East Bloomfield in 1793, from Berkshire, Mass., driving an ox team and being upon the road twenty-eight days. In February, 1794, he moved his family to their new home in the wilderness, arriving there on the 15th of February, by sleighs drawn by horse teams. Mr. Brunson located upon a lot of land lying a short distance west of Mud Creek, on the state road, and made improvements, soon after opening a tavern for the accommodation of emigrants and new settlers. When the family of Mr. Brunson arrived in East Bloomfield in 1794, there was one daughter named Esther, and it is of her that I am about to write. At this time, Esther was in her girlhood, she being but eleven years old. A brief interview with Esther (Mrs. Gunn) who was ninety years old on the 14th of January last, presented to my mind one of the best preserved women that I ever met. I found her in possession of perfect health, her hearing and eyesight quite as brilliant as when young, with an elasticity of step and straightness of form that would put to blush many of the young ladies of the present day. Mrs. Gunn is the widow of Linus Gunn, and the mother of Mrs. Steele, with whom she now resides. From the hasty interview held with Mrs. Gunn, I learned that her father drove the first team that passed over the Centerfield road from Canandaigua going west. It was then a dense wilderness. This was afterwards laid out as a state road, six rods in width, in the summer of 1794. The surveyor's name was Rose. General Chapin and a Mr. Elliott, of Onondaga county, were the commissioners, and they stayed at her father's during their examination at that time. When the axemen commenced chopping down the heavy timber, making the opening six rods wide, it enabled them to see a long distance each way, and made a great change in the appearance of their wilderness home. the line of the road diverged to the north after leaving her father's house and passed out at Frederick Toby's. Her father kept a public house for the entertainment of travelers, and she well remembered that after the death of General Chapin, the great lamentation that prevailed among the early settlers over their great loss. Judge Hosmer of Avon came to her father's on his way to the funeral of General Chapin, in a comfortable sleigh with a fine pair of horses driven by a colored servant, and tendered her father a seat in his sleigh to accompany him to Canandaigua. Mrs. Gunn often saw Red Jacket, Farmer's Brother, and many other prominent Indian chiefs and warriors, as they passed her father's house on their way to and from their council fires and treaties.

From Ontario County Chronicle 14 September 1904

Lucius B. Gunn,
formerly proprietor of the Canandaigua Hotel, and one of the best known hotel men in Western New York, died Monday morning at the home of his sister, Mrs. Ardelia Pittenger near Centerfield at the advanced age of 83 years. He had been a sufferer from paralysis for some time and his death was not unexpected. The funeral services will be held Wednesday and interment will be in Woodlawn cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 5 December 1884

Mr. W. Porter Gunn,
an old and well-known citizen of this place, died very suddenly at the Canandaigua Hotel, Wednesday night, of paralysis of the brain. Mr. Gunn ate a hearty dinner at noon on Wednesday. Later in the day he sat down and apparently went into a quiet sleep. He soon fell from his chair, when he was immediately cared for, and a physician being called it was found that he was seriously ill, and he died in the night. Mr. Gunn was for many years associated with his brother, L. B. Gunn, in the management of the Canandaigua Hotel, but of late years has not been engaged in any regular business. His age was about 63 years. He leaves a wife and several grown-up children.

From Shortsville Enterprise 4 November 1915

The remains of Alfred M. Gunnison, of Phelps, whose death was noted in last week's Enterprise, were interred in Canandaigua last Thursday. Mr. Gunnison was born in Canandaigua and had spent the larger part of his life there. He
He removed from Shortsville to Phelps during the month of August, 1914. He was first married to Miss Lucy Mink, of this village, who died in 1903. His second marriage was with Mrs. Lillian Sanford on March 22, 1905, who survives him, as well as two children, Leon F. Gunnison, of Elgin, Ill., and Mrs. Carolton Sanford, of Newark, and two brothers, Frank Gunnison, of Canandaigua, and George Gunnison, of Sheldrake Springs.

From Ontario County Journal 13 November 1896

North Bloomfield, N. Y. - Mrs. Alvin Gunnison,
one of the oldest residents of the place, passed away last week Wednesday forenoon. She had been a sufferer for a long time and her death was not a surprise. She was well known in this place; not only that, but was loved and esteemed by all who knew her. She has left to mourn her loss a son, Dwight, who will miss a loving mother's care. He has the sympathy of all the friends and neighbors in the community. Funeral services were held at the residence on Friday afternoon at 2 o'clock, Rev. L. C. Browne officiating. Burial was in the village cemetery.

From Ontario County Chronicle 14 October 1903

At her home on upper Main Street early Sunday morning occurred the death of Mrs. Fred Gunnison, aged 36 years. Death was due to typhoid fever. She leaves, besides her husband, several children. The funeral was held yesterday afternoon.

From Ontario County Journal 17 June 1910

From his late residence on West Gibson street on Monday last, was carried to Woodlawn the remains of one of Canandaigua's best citizens, George Lyman Gunnison. The funeral services, largely attended, were in charge of his pastor, Rev. Arthur Copeland of the Methodist Episcopal church, assisted by Rev. Ward Mosher of Newark and Rev. J. S. Ebersole. A delegation of the Methodist Brotherhood marched behind the casket to the cemetery, where he was buried with the full ritual services of his church. George L. Gunnison was born in the town Feb. 14, 1830, and died here June 10, 1910. The eighty years of his career have not been marked by any pretentious, but by a uniform life of labor and devotion to duty in every place and condition he was called by Providence to fill. He was married December 15, 1853, to Jane A. Tiffany, a woman of beautiful spirit and character, who bore him three sons, all living, Frank and Fred of Canandaigua, George H., Secretary of the Y. M. C. A at Jersey Shore, Pa. Mrs. Gunnison died on September 18, 1905, and since, the life of Mr. Gunnison was one of much loneliness and waiting the call to reunion. Industrious thrifty, Mr. Gunnison acquired a fair share of property. In a nature deeply religious, he found in the Methodist church a home which he loved and loyally and liberally supported to the end. As one of its officers for over 35 years, he was faithful in the discharge of duty, punctual and regular in attendance upon all the public services, and always foremost in all things pertaining to its prosperity. In his home he was at his best, kind and patient, and even in sickness endeavoring to avoid making himself burdensome to any about him. He was a lifelong Republican in politics. As an intelligent, honest and capable man and patriot, he loved and served his day and generation. He had many friends among all classes, and he leaves this rich legacy of a good name and an unsullied record.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 20 September 1905

At her home in West Gibson street, Sept. 18, occurred the death of Mrs. Jane Alvira Tiffany, wife of George L. Gunnison, aged 71 years. Mrs. Gunnison is survived by her husband, George L. Gunnison; and three sons, George, Jr., Frank N. and Fred M. The funeral was held yesterday afternoon.

From Victor Herald 6 October 1899

On Tuesday night of this week occurred the death of Mrs. Sila A. Gurley, at the home of her son, Dr. James F. Draper, in this village, where she has resided for many years. Mrs. Gurley was the daughter of Dr. James and Lucy Post and was born in White Creek, Washington county, this state, in June 1807. In 1823, she married Dr. Philip N. Draper. To them two children were born, James F. and Maria Lucy. The latter lived to be but 10 years of age. The husband lived only a short time after their marriage, dying in Manchester, this county, in 1827. Mrs. Draper again married in 1831 to Dr. Royal Gurley. Four children were born from this union, one son, and three daughters. Of these Mason J., of this village, and Mrs. E. E. Fletcher of Lake Lyndon, Mich., survive, and Mrs. Mary Humphreyville, late of Chicago, Ill., and Mrs. Maria Shumway, late of St. Paul, Minn., passed away several years ago. Dr. and Mrs. Gurley moved to Michigan in 1834 where he died in 1845. Mrs. Gurley had been a resident of this town for thirty years. Being feeble in health, she was unable to mingle much in society and lived a quiet life, but was always happy, and kind to those who came in contact with her. In her early life she attended the Methodist church, but since living in this village, when able, she attended the Presbyterian Church. Mrs. Gurley's death was caused from a general wearing out. She was not a sufferer from disease. The funeral services will be held this afternoon at 2 o'clock from her late residence, Rev. H. F. Ellinwood, officiating.

From Ontario County Journal 7 May 1909

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - William Gurnee,
night clerk in the New York Central freight office, Canandaigua, was found dead in bed at his home here on Saturday. He was aged about 41 years. He had not been in his usual health for some months, but had kept at work and lately had felt better. He worked the night before as usual, returning that morning at 7:30 as was his custom. He leaves his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Peter Gurnee, with whom he lived. Mr. Gurnee had hurried to his home, thinking he would take the 8:40 train for Rochester. He went at once to his room to prepare for the trip. When he did not come down, his parents thought that he had decided to remain at home. Near noon his mother, going to his room to call him, was horror stricken to see him lying on the bed dead. Dr. Wheeler, who was called at once, pronounced it a case of heart failure. Mr. Gurnee was a member of the Masonic lodge of Canandaigua. The funeral was held at the family home on Tuesday afternoon, the services being conducted by Rev. H. C. Rafter, a former rector of St. Peter's church, now of Salamanca.

From Geneva Daily Times 1 March 1910

Naples, N. Y. - Mrs. Elizabeth Smith Guyett,
aged 66 years, died at the home of her sister, Mrs. Willard Shepard, on Saturday after a long and painful illness. She was the widow of a Civil war veteran who died in Buffalo several years ago, and her body was taken there yesterday for interment. She leaves one son, Albert Guyett, and another sister, Mrs. Nelson Ross, both of Honeoye.

Return to Ontario County Homepage

Copyright © 2004-10, Ontario County NYGenWeb and each contributor and author of materials herein. All rights reserved.
Updated 23 August 2010