"Fot" to "Foz" Obituaries

From Geneva Daily Times 15 May 1909

Mrs. Alice Fothergill,
widow of the late William Fothergill, died this morning at about 10 o'clock at the home of her son, Edward B. Fothergill of No. 60 North Genesee street. The deceased had been slightly ill for about a week but this morning she became rapidly worse and died within a short time. She recently returned from a visit with her daughter in Belmont. Her survivors are two sons, E. B. Fothergill and William Fothergill; and one daughter, Mrs. Elizabeth Gordon of Belmont. Burial Washington Street Cemetery.

From Geneva Gazette 22 February 1901

Mrs. Bridget Fothergill,
aged 69 years, died at her late residence, two miles west of this city, Saturday last.  She is survived by her husband, one son and four daughters.  The funeral took place from St. Francis de Sales church at 10 o'clock Monday morning last.  Interment was in St. Patrick's cemetery.

From Geneva Gazette 8 March 1901

John Fothergill
died at the family residence about four miles north of this city at 10 o'clock Sunday night, aged 73 years.  The cause of death was grip, of which the wife of the deceased died two weeks ago.  The deceased is survived by one son, Thomas Fothergill, and three daughters, Mrs. Ringer, Mrs. Morris Cahill and Mrs. Cooper of this city.

From Geneva Daily Times 19 December 1930

Mrs. Julia R. Fothergill,
aged 77, widow of the late Edward B. Fothergill, died at her home, 60 North Genesee street, at 11:50 o'clock this morning following an illness of nine weeks. She is survived by one daughter, Mrs. Frank Spohn; one sister, Mrs. Emma A. Dobson, both of Geneva and six grandchildren, three of Geneva and three of Detroit, Mich. The funeral will be held Monday morning at 10:30 o'clock from her late home on North Genesee street with the Rev. Alexander Thompson of the North Presbyterian church officiating. Interment will be in Glenwood Cemetery.

From Geneva Courier 12 February 1873

We are pained to announce the death of Wm. Fothergill, whose accidental fall from the roof of a house and severe injury we noticed in our last issue.  Mr. Fothergill died at 1 o'clock P. M. yesterday.  At the time of the accident, he was on the roof of Mr. Broderick's house on Grove street, and was in the act of marking with a chalk line for a course of shingles, when he slipped to the eaves of the roof, where was a gutter some four inches in height, over which he fell to the ground, a distance of about twenty feet, and was picked up in an insensible condition and remained in an unconscious state so that he was unable to converse with his family at all.  He sustained a compound fracture of the right femur or thigh bone, so that the bone protruded through the flesh and was injured internally, injuries consisting of concussion, effecting particularly the viscera of the abdomen, the brain and the nervous system generally.

From the first no hopes were entertained of his recovery, although all that medical skill could do, and watchful and devoted attention of loving hands and hearts, were lavished upon him.  He steadily failed, suffering terribly, until mortification became fully seated and death claimed all that was mortal of a devoted husband and loving father and a good and valuable citizen.

Mr. Fothergill was born in Skelton, England, near Yorkshire, in the month of June, 1827, and was in the 47th year of his age. He was married in England and came to this country in 1850. He leaves a wife and four children, the eldest a daughter, a married lady, and the youngest a lad of twelve years. Mr. Fothergill was an active, energetic man and an excellent mechanic. Our village has been very much beautified and improved by the residences and public buildings which were created under his direction.  Among the monuments of this kind of his skill and ability which adorn the town we may mention the Geneva Classical and Union School, the residence of Wm. Affleck, Esq., the residence of Col. F. W. Prince, and the residence of Mr. Fothergill himself, all of which are first class buildings and reflect great credit upon the builder. Mr. Fothergill's funeral will take place from the M. E. Church, of which he was for many years a member, tomorrow (Thursday) at 2 o'clock P. M.

From Geneva Gazette 19 September 1890

Mrs. Charlotte Fowle
died at her residence on Geneva street Tuesday after a long and painful illness, aged 64 years. Deceased had been a lifelong resident of our village, highly esteemed by neighbors for her kind and sympathetic nature and amiable Christian character. She was the mother of five children who owe their all to her faithful nurture and teachings, and all have proved worthy of such a good mother. She was a sister of Mrs. John Dove, lately deceased, and of Mrs. Harriet E. Price of New York. Her sons are Alonzo Fowle of Milwaukee, Albert of Geneva, and G. W. of Detroit. An only surviving daughter is the wife of a Mr. Barnes of this town. The funeral of Mrs. Fowle took place yesterday afternoon from the M. E. Church, Rev. J. C. Nichols officiating. The bearers were Messrs. M. W. Hemiup, J. O. Seymour, J. H. Nichols, Geo. Taylor, D. W. Hallenback and S. H. Parker. The casket was adorned with several beautiful floral tributes -- a pillow inscribed "mother", an anchor, wreath, crescent and crown. Rev. Dr. Buck in his brief discourse paid a fitting tribute to the departed as a faithful, loving Christian mother. The children were present except one -- G. W. Fowle who is traveling in Europe. The body was placed temporarily in the receiving vault at Glenwood, and will eventually be interred in that beautiful home of the dead.

From Geneva Gazette 14 November 1879

The funeral of Nellie Fowle took place last Sunday from the residence of her mother on Geneva street, a large number of sorrowing and sympathetic friends of the family being present. Rev. Dr. Hogarth and Rev. Mr. Brownlee of the M. E. Church officiated, the former in conveying the comforts and consolations of religion to the afflicted mourners in fitting remarks - the latter in earnest prayer that this dispensation would not be without a salutary lesson to the living. The devoted brothers, Geo. W. of Detroit and Alonzo of Providence, R. I., came on and were here several days to comfort the dying sister by their presence in her last hours. This is the first rupture in the family circle, and the bereavement is most deeply felt by the survivors.

From Geneva Daily Times 13 March 1905

Anna A. Fowler,
thirty-five years old, died at 10:30 o'clock last night at her home, No. 471 Exchange street, of tuberculosis after a lingering illness. She had been a resident of this city for ten years, and is survived by her husband, James Fowler, and one daughter of this city, her mother, Mrs. Richard Dillon; four brothers, John, Thomas, Daniel and Joseph Dillon and two sisters, Mrs. Paul Huygt and Elizabeth Dillon, all of Wilkes-Barre, Pa.

From Geneva Gazette 14 August 1863

David Fowler,
of this town, a member of Co. D., 148th N. Y. V., died in hospital at Norfolk on the 11th inst.  The sad intelligence was received here by telegraph on the following morning.  Measures have been taken by comrades of the deceased to send the body home for interment.

Simultaneously with this announcement of the death of the son, we also make that of the death of the father -- John Fowler -- an old veteran of the war of 1812.

From Geneva Gazette 24 November 1882

A Sudden Death - Mrs. John Fowler,
a widow of 78 years, died very suddenly at the residence of her son-in-law, Linsley French in Phelps, on the 15th inst. Mrs. Fowler had appeared in her usual good health during the day, assisting her daughter in household work, and partaking of her evening meal with usual relish. At about 6 1/2 o'clock she complained of excessive warmth and a sensation of faintness. Mr. French assisted her to an upper room, but as the change did not seem to revive her, he returned with her immediately to the sitting room, where she at once became unconscious and soon passed away. She probably died of heart disease. Deceased leaves a family of seven, sons and daughters. She was a communicant of the Protestant Episcopal Church and a regular attendant at the North Mission, in the service and welfare of which she manifested great interest. Her funeral took place at the house of Mr. French last Saturday, and her remains were interred in Powers' cemetery, near Cromwell's hollow.

From Geneva Gazette 7 September 1866

Distressing Suicide -
On Monday last the body of Ira Fowler was recovered from the basin adjoining his coal-yard, and a few rods South of the steamboat dock. The deceased was missed by his family early in the morning; and as he had for a few day previously acted very strangely, discontented and dissatisfied with certain business arrangements, it was suspected that he had purposely left town in a secret manner. Inquiries failed to discover any trace of him since the night preceding, when he locked himself up in his room over the coal office. About 12 o'clock, a wood-sawyer discovered Fowler's hat behind a pile of wood at the edge of the dock. Search was at once made in the basin directly opposite, and the body of the desperate man found within twelve feet of the dock. A band of iron weighing 18 lbs. encompassed the body, brought under one arm and resting on the opposite shoulder.

An inquest was held by Coroner Young and a jury. Facts regarding his state of mind, and the additional fact that he had been seen the day previously coming up the tow-path carrying the identical iron band which was found upon his body, were elicited, showing it to have been a deliberate and premeditated case of suicide. Deceased had been largely engaged in the grain trade at Starkey, and at one time was the possessor of a considerable fortune; but reverses followed which swept it nearly all away. A comparatively small pittance only was saved and secured to his family. It is stated that there is a policy of insurance upon his life for $10,000, for the benefit of his wife. The fact of suicide proving a species of insanity and the cause of death, will, it is claimed by those who pretend to be posted, make the policy good against the Company issuing. it. Mr. Fowler's remains were conveyed to Starkey on Wednesday for burial.

From Ontario County Journal 14 April 1876

Mrs. Sibyl Fowler,
whose maiden name was Sibyl Sawyer, died at her residence, in the town of Gorham (between Rushville and Reed's Corners), on Tuesday, April 4th, 1876.  She was born in Stafford, Conn., on the 25th of May, 1782. When eight or ten years old, she removed with her father and mother to Windsor, Mass., where she remained until she was about twenty-one years of age, when she removed to Middlesex, N. Y.  She was married to Reuben W. Fowler in the year 1806. The year following she removed with her husband to her late home in Gorham, where she resided until her death. They had seven children, four of whom are now living; the other two died when quite young.  She united with the First Congregational Church, in Rushville, in the year 1815, of which she continued an exemplary member.  She was very faithful and devoted in her attendance upon the public means of grace up to within a few years of her death.  Death found her prepared and ready to be taken to the Rest of the Saints.  She was a woman of more than ordinary industry and frugality, and was respected and beloved by all who knew her.  When she died she was 93 years, 10 months and 10 days old.  Her end was peace. The sermon was preached by the pastor of the church, Rev. Geo. Stasenburgh.  Her remains were removed from her late residence and laid beside those of her husband, on Friday, April 4th.

From Geneva Daily Times 23 May 1905

Wealthy A. Fowler,
seventy-four years of age, died at five o'clock this morning at the home of her granddaughter, Mrs. A. E. Wheeler, No. 349 Exchange street. As the result of an attack of the grip last fall, the deceased had been in feeble health throughout the winter, but was not confined to her bed until yesterday. She was born in Oneida county and in her childhood moved to Sodus with her parents. After her marriage deceased lived for a short time in Aspenwall on the Atlantic side of the Isthmus of Panama. She returned to the states in 1862 and lived at Junius until she came to this city twenty-five years ago. The deceased is survived by two granddaughters, Mrs. A. W. Richards and Mrs. A. E. Wheeler, both of this city. The funeral will take place Thursday afternoon at two o'clock from the home of her granddaughter, Mrs. Wheeler. Rev. J. B. Champion, pastor of the the First Baptist church, will officiate. Burial will be in Glenwood cemetery.

From Victor Herald 8 April 1904

William Perry Fowler,
for thirty-five years a popular and respected citizen of this town, died at his home near Fishers village, Wednesday, April 6th, at the age of sixty-two years. Mr. Fowler had been in poor health for some time and died from an attack of pneumonia which in his enfeebled condition he was unable to combat. He was a genial, companionable man whose friends throughout this section are a great host, and the news of his death is received with genuine sorrow. For some years he was engaged in the milk business in Mendon and Fishers. He leaves a wife and one son, George, who lives at home. Funeral
services will be held Saturday afternoon at one o'clock at the house, and at two o'clock at the Mendon Baptist church. Interment will be had in Mendon cemetery. 

From Ontario County Journal 8 May 1891

Mrs. Caroline Fox,
wife of Christopher Fox, of Naples, died Sunday evening, aged 42, leaving seven young children. She was ill but a few hours. The remains were taken to Cohocton for burial.

From Geneva Daily Times 10 November 1905

Canandaigua, N. Y. - The death of Mrs. Charlotte A. Fox, wife of William H. Fox, of Howell street, yesterday about noon, came with a shock to her many friends as the reports of her condition yesterday and last night were very favorable. Mrs. Fox began having hemorrhages about ten days ago, and septicemia developed. She was aged about 45 years, and leaves, besides her husband, who is the manager of the New York office of the Lisk Manufacturing Company of this village, five daughters. Her mother, Mrs. Mary E. Reed, also survives.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 15 November 1905

Mrs. Charlotte Reed,
wife of William H. Fox, died at her home in Howell street Thursday morning after a short illness of two weeks. Mrs. Fox's condition was not thought alarming until two days before her death when septic poisoning became evident. She was born in Gorham 43 years ago and was the daughter of Silas and Mary Reed and spent most of her life in Canandaigua. Her sudden death comes as a great shock to her family and the many friends which her charming personality, admirable character and friendly manner won for her. Her devotion to her family was an evidence of her lovable nature and her activity in church circles was an evidence of her high ideals and helpful nature. Her life was spent in unselfish service for others and her gentle nature carried a beneficent influence wherever she went. She is survived by her husband, five daughters, Mrs. R. W. Wisner, Misses Charlotte, Jennie, Mary and Margaret Fox; her mother, Mrs. Mary Reed, and two brothers, Sherman and Ezra Reed. The funeral was held from the residence in Howell street at 3 o'clock Saturday afternoon, Rev. Lewis T. Reed officiating. The floral pieces were many and beautiful as a last tribute from her many friends by who she was so dearly beloved.

From Ontario County Journal 3 November 1893

Naples, N. Y. -
One of the oldest inhabitants of Naples, Chauncey W. Fox, died suddenly of neuralgia of the heart, on Tuesday morning, aged 79 years. He retired from active business life some years ago. His wife and one son, Charles O. Fox, of Muncie, Indiana, survive him.

From Geneva Daily Times 27 April 1905

Ernest R. Fox,
twenty-three years of age, died at 6 o'clock last night at the home of his uncle, Herman F. Fox, No. 140 William street. The deceased was born in this city and has lived here throughout his life. He is survived by one sister, Miss Ruby Fox. The funeral will take place from the house Saturday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock, Rev. George Cross Biner officiating. Burial will be in Glenwood cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 8 September 1903

Ernest William Fox,
86 years of age, died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Lena A. Fink, No. 58 Geneva street, this morning at 7:30 o'clock. Deceased was born in Gara, Saxony, and came to America in 1848, locating at once in Geneva where he worked at his trade as mason. Five children survive. These are Herman F. Fox, Mrs. Lena A. Fink, Mrs. George Gilbert, Miss Louisa Fox and Mrs. William Sipple.  Burial Glenwood Cemetery.

From Victor Herald 31 July 1903

The body of Frank Fox, who died in Owosso, Mich., Wednesday, was brought here for burial in Boughton Hill Cemetery, this morning. Mr. Fox had reached the age of 68 years. He was born in Victor and was quite well-known here. One son, Frank Fox of Fairport, and one daughter, Mrs. William A. Williams of Owosso, Mich., survive.

From Ontario County Journal 31 December 1886

The people in the vicinity of Miller's Corners were greatly startled and shocked on Sunday morning to learn that the wife of George D. Fox, had committed suicide by drowning herself in a water tank. She had been out of health for some time and had shown occasional indications of aberration of mind. Though nothing so serious as has occurred was apprehended, a close watch was kept by her family and friends. Late Saturday evening she placed a shawl about her head and remarking to her husband that she would be back in a few minutes, left the house. After she had been gone a few minutes Mr. Fox became alarmed and began searching for her. He aroused his son, John, and together they searched about the house and out-buildings. Not finding any traces of her Mr. Fox started for son Marion, and John went toward a water tank which stands near a barn, some distance from the house. In this tank he was horrified to find his mother's body. Although a large fleshy woman, she had forced herself through a hole only sixteen inches square. Life was extinct when she was found as the tank was nearly full of water. Mr. Fox is an old and esteemed correspondent of the Journal. He and his family have the sympathy of the entire community. Mrs. Fox was a faithful wife, a loving mother and a kind and beloved neighbor. Her remains were taken to Huron, Wayne county (her former home) for interment.

From Ontario County Journal 18 October 1878

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - Mr. Henry Fox
died Sept. 15, 1878. Mr. Fox was born in Massachusetts in 1802, and moved to this town when a small boy. It is seldom we see a man of his age so active as he was until a short time before his death. Many are the friends and relatives that will miss him, and in his family there is a vacant place that can never be filled. During his sickness he was very patient, and toward the last when man could use no remedy to prolong life, he lay quietly waiting until the death angel came to carry him across the dark river. The busy hands are forever quiet, and the kind heart, that was so ready to help others, is forever at rest.

From Ontario County Chronicle 25 November 1903

Hicks Point, N. Y. - Henry W. Fox
died at his home near here of typhoid fever, aged 33 years. He was beloved by every one who knew him. He leaves besides his wife and little son, his father, Joseph Fox, Sr., two brothers, John and Joseph Fox of this place, and three sisters, Mrs. George Covert, Mrs. Ed. Middlebrook, and Mrs. Harry Lacey of this place. Burial at Coye cemetery. Rev. McKensie preached a very impressive sermon at the church at Bristol Springs. His wife and little boy will make their home at her former home in Canandaigua with her mother at 54 West Avenue.

From Geneva Daily Times 23 April 1907

Phelps, N. Y. - The death of James Fox occurred at the home of Jesse Brignal near Orleans, Sunday afternoon. Mr. Fox has been confined to the house for the past two years, suffering with paralysis but the direct cause of his death was a cerebral hemorrhage. Mr. Fox's home was at Cohocton, where the remains will be taken for burial. He was 61 years of age and leaves a widow and one son. He was a member of the Masonic lodge at Cohocton.

From Ontario County Journal 7 May 1883

Mr. James F. Fox,
best known as Frank Fox, died very suddenly of heart disease, at his residence on Gorham street in this village, last Sunday night, aged about 56 years. Mr. Fox had not been in robust health for some time, owing to trouble from heart disease, but was able to attend to his business affairs. He had been to Livonia Station where he has an interest with a brother in the hardware business, and returned from that place Sunday afternoon, apparently in his usual vigor and strength. At about 8 o'clock in the evening he complained of severe pain in the region of the heart, and a physician was summoned, Mrs. Fox meanwhile fixing some stimulant for him, but he died before the physician arrived. He leaves a wife and an adopted daughter, also a brother and two sisters. The funeral services were held Wednesday afternoon.

From Geneva Daily Times 31 March 1905

Canandaigua, N. Y. -
Yesterday afternoon occurred the death of James M. Fox, aged about 60 years. Deceased had been in poor health for sometime, but his death was rather sudden, and was due to Bright's disease. Deceased was well and favorably known in Canandaigua, where for many years he had been a popular chef and caterer. Surviving members of his family include his wife, one daughter, Miss Elizabeth Fox, and one son, James B. Fox.

From Ontario County Journal 26 November 1886

Last Friday night Lewis Fox, a German grape grower of Naples committed suicide by hanging himself to a cherry tree in his yard. Grief at the loss of his wife who died recently is supposed to have been the cause.

From Victor Herald 29 April 1904

East Bloomfield, N. Y. -
The death of Mrs. Mary Bartlett Fox, wife of John Fox, occurred at the Rochester City Hospital Wednesday afternoon, April 20th, at one o'clock, following an operation for appendicitis, performed on Saturday. The remains were brought to the home on the Remer farm Saturday. The deceased was 41 years of age and leaves her husband; a niece, Edna McGuire, for whom she cared since the death of the child's mother a few years ago; her father, Richard Bartlett; two sisters, Mrs. Carrie Simmons of this town, and Mrs. George Worden of Bristol Center, and one brother, George Bartlett of Canandaigua. Mrs. Fox was a most estimable woman, well beloved by a large circle of friends and acquaintances. She will be sorely missed from the home, and the family have the deep sympathy of the community. The funeral was held from the Universalist church at 11 o'clock. Interment was made in Evergreen cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 17 June 1892

Died, on Thursday morning, the 9th inst., at her home near Wheeler's Station, East Bloomfield, occurred the death of Mrs. Mary H. Fox, wife of Henry Fox and sister of Mrs. Robert Wheeler. The deceased was 43 years of age. She was beloved and respected by all who knew her. She has been a sufferer for some time, her death resulting from Creeping Paralysis. The funeral services held at her late residence, were conducted by Rev. Mr. Dobson, of East Bloomfield, and the interment in East Bloomfield cemetery. She leaves a husband and one son to mourn her loss, beside a large circle of relatives and acquaintances.

From Geneva Daily Times 30 August 1909

A girl who went under the name of Anna Cook was found dying in a little hall bedroom over an Italian saloon at the corner of Lafayette and Division street in Auburn Saturday night. It is supposed from the evidence in the case that the girl's death was the result of a dose of poison. A physician was called immediately after her condition was discovered, but she died within a short time. Investigation of the case here this morning shows that the correct name of the dead woman is Mary J. Fox, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Bullock, who reside a short distance outside the city. The girl, who is 21 years of age, was married to a young man named Joseph Fox several years ago. Their domestic life was not happy, however, and it is said that they separated. The present whereabouts of her husband, who was a son of Joseph Fox, a Geneva saloonkeeper who was killed in Exchange street a number of years ago as a result of a blow which he received while attempting to put a man out of his place, is unknown to the local authorities. Two children survive. These children, it is stated, are at present being cared for by the grandparents of Mrs. Fox. A third child died last week. The cause for the woman's act is believed to have been despondency caused by illness.

Mrs. Fox was about Geneva for the past few years. She moved to this city after her marriage to Fox and had resided here most of the time since. She was known to the authorities and it is said that the police were looking for her last week in order to compel her to take care of an infant child. About this time she was wanted, however, she disappeared from the city and an Italian saloonkeeper named Jack Bouslack is reported to have sent her to Auburn. Mrs. Fox was at the City Hospital a week or so ago. A few days afterwards, the police were looking for her and went to see Mr. Bouslack, who was reported to know where she was. Bouslack told the police that the woman had gone to Rochester. It appears from the reports from Auburn, however, that Bouslack accompanied her to Auburn on August 17th and left her at an Italian saloon kept by an Italian woman named Anna Deffert.

The report of the case from the time Mrs. Fox reached Auburn to the time of her death is that she suffered continually from her operation. She seemed despondent and would sit in a corner and cry. She repeatedly asked her employer to furnish her with a piano with which to amuse herself, and she seemed to take great pleasure in the announcement that one would be brought to the house this week.

The girl appeared about the streets with Mrs. Deffert and spent Thursday  at Lakeside Park with her. Friday she did a washing and Saturday morning was spent in ironing, after which she prepared the noonday meal for the family. In the afternoon she was restless and went to her room several times, but did not remain more than a minute at a time. She did not prepare the supper as usual at 6 o'clock, and when asked by Mrs. Deffert when the supper would be ready, she said she didn't know and that she didn't want any. She again went to her room and remained there about five minutes, when a scream was heard and Mrs. Deffert went to her room, where she lay moaning on the bed. A physician was telephoned for. Dr. Day responded and administered an antidote, but the girl died in a few minutes. Coroner O'Neil was called and the body was removed to the Meagher undertaking rooms.

The girl was a good "dresser" and her clothes were carefully folded and packed in the drawers of a commode and those that hung on the wall were carefully covered with a cloth to keep them from the dust.

The girl had gone under the name of Anna Cook at Auburn but when the report of the case was shown to Chief Kane of the local department this morning, he immediately recognized the woman as Mrs. Fox. Up until noon no report of the case had officially been received from the Auburn department, but Chief Kane went to the Bouslack place and interviewed him in regard to the matter. After being questioned closely, Mr. Bouslack admitted that the girl was Mrs. Fox and that he had taken her to Auburn. He stated that he had told the police that the woman had gone to Rochester owing to a promise that he had made her to keep her identity and whereabouts secret.

From Ontario County Journal 11 December 1896

Bristol Springs, N. Y. - Mrs. Sarah Fox,
wife of Joseph Fox, Sr., of the lake shore, died on Friday morning, Dec. 4, aged nearly 73 years. Mrs. Fox came with her husband and family from England soon after the war, and they have occupied their present home most of the time since. It can truthfully be said of her she was a patient, consistent Christian.

From Ontario County Journal 9 October 1896

Naples, N. Y. -  Mrs. Susan Fox,
wife of Christopher Fox of this town, died October 5, aged 48 years. Burial at Coye cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 26 March 1897

Clifton Springs, N. Y. -  Wm. Fox,
one of the oldest inhabitants of this village, died on March 22. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. J. E. June on Wednesday.

From Geneva Daily Times 6 February 1909

Clifton Springs, N. Y. -
The residents of this village were deeply shocked yesterday afternoon to learn of the death of William A. Fox, which occurred shortly afternoon at his country home about two miles south of this village. Although he had been in poor health for the past three years, his death came as a great shock to his family and large circle of friends in this village and vicinity. Mr. Fox was aged 86 years, and was one of the early settlers of this vicinity, and was one of the best known and progressive farmers in the Town of Phelps in which his farm was located. Although a farmer he had always taken a great interest in this village and its growth and affairs. The deceased is survived by a widow, two daughters, Miss Lulu, who had always made her home with her parents, a daughter who resides in the West, but was at the family homestead on a visit at the time of the death; and three sons, Sylvester, Truman V., and Edward, all of this village. The funeral services will be held at the family residence tomorrow afternoon, at 2 o'clock, and the interment will be in the Pioneer Cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 5 November 1909

Honeoye, N. Y. -
On Oct. 22, at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Ella Howcroft, after an illness of ten days duration, occurred the death of Edward Foye, Sr. He was born in Belfast, Ireland, in 1830, and during the early part of his 79 years few saw greater hardships or saw more of life. At the age of 18 years he entered the English army, serving nine years. He served in the "Flying Artillery." At the time of enlistment the company was 300 strong. Three times during their service were they reinforced to the original number. Upon their return at the close of the Crimean war, there were just 17 men spared who marched in single file before Queen Victoria, who personally pinned a "Death and Glory medal" upon the coat of each soldier. Mr. Foye was an eye witness of the charge of the Light Brigade. He was also present at the taking of Sebastipool. He was confined in the hospital at Scutari and was nursed by Florence Nightingale. At the close of the war in 1858, Mr. Foye was married in Liverpool to Miss Rose MacCaren. Immediately after the service, they took passage for America. Arriving in New York City, he worked at the trade learned in his boyhood. Later they came to Ontario County and for the past 45 years Honeoye had been their home, with the exception of the last nine winters, which, since the death of his wife, he spent in Washington, D. C., at the home of his youngest daughter. He is survived by six children: four daughters, Mrs. Ella Howcroft of Honeoye; Mrs. Minnie Nighn, of Livonia Center; Mrs. Rose Andrews and Dr. A. Frances Foye of Washington, D. C.; two sons, Edward Foye of Honeoye, and Frank Foye, of Cleveland, O. The funeral was held from St. Mary's church in this village, of which he was a devout member, on Monday forenoon, Rev. Father Garvey of Livonia officiating. In slight variation of the regular custom, "Nearer My God to Thee" was beautifully rendered by Mrs. Mary Doolittle, as the casket was borne from the church. Interment at the Honeoye cemetery.

Return to Ontario County Homepage

Copyright © 2009, Ontario County NYGenWeb and each contributor and author of materials herein. All rights reserved.

Updated 28 May 2009