"Em" to "Ez" Obituaries

From Ontario County Times 30 March 1881

Victor, N. Y. - Mrs. Nelson Embry
died at her home in this place on Thursday morning. The deceased had been a long sufferer from consumption, and she lived and died a consistent Christian. The funeral services were held at the house on Saturday, Rev. J. N. Brown, officiating.

From Geneva Daily Times 6 August 1907

Mrs. Anna Emens, aged 67 years, died this morning at 2:30 o'clock at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Henry Switzer, of No. 409 Castle Heights. She is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Henry Switzer of this city, and Mrs. G. W. Cuddeback of Seneca Falls, and two sons, Stacy H. Emens of Seattle, Wash., and Schuyler S. Emens of Topeka, Kansas. The funeral will be held Thursday afternoon. Burial Glenwood Cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 2 January 1909

Mrs. Electa J. Emerick,
wife of Norman E. Emerick, died Thursday night at 11 o'clock at the family residence, No. 39 Grove street. She was 58 years old and had been a resident of this city for 13 years. Besides her husband, she is survived by two daughters and one son. The funeral will take place from the home at 2:45 o'clock tomorrow afternoon. Rev. W. W. Weller will officiate and burial will be in Glenwood Cemetery.

From Ontario County Chronicle 27 August 1902

Sunday afternoon George W. Emerson, a well-known farmer, residing in the northeast part of this town, was found dead in a field. Coroner Hallenbeck concluded that death was due to epilepsy, from which the deceased had suffered for years. He was aged 45 years.

From Ontario County Journal 16 October 1885

John P. Emerson,
who has been living for some time with his brother, Dr. B. K. Emerson, west of Chapinville, died last Saturday morning. The funeral services took place at the house Sunday afternoon, Rev. W. M. Benger officiating. The remains were interred in the Sand Hill cemetery. The deceased, who was 66 years old, had been a sailor most of his life and had seen much of the world.

From Ontario County Journal 2 December 1898

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - 
The funeral services of Mrs. Eleanor Emmons occurred at her late residence on Wednesday afternoon at 2 o'clock. Rev. C. C. Johnson, of Clarkson, formerly pastor of the Congregational church here, officiated. Mrs. Emmons was born in Sussex county, England, and was the daughter of Leonard Stiles. She came to this country about 1858. She married Oliver Emmons, who died a number of years ago. Mrs. Emmons was an active member of the Congregational church but had been unable to attend church on account of ill health for some time. She was 67 years of age.

From Geneva Gazette 9 July 1886

Mortuary - Sidney W. Emons
died last Saturday morning at his residence on North Main street.  He was a carriage trimmer by trade, doing business for himself on a moderate scale on Lake street.  He had been confined to his house but a few weeks, and a fatal termination of his illness was wholly unlooked for by his acquaintances.

From Shortsville Enterprise 20 April 1916

Frank Enea,
aged about 30 years, a former fireman at the plant of the Shortsville Wheel Company, died in the Geneva City Hospital last week Thursday night as the result of burns received about 4 o'clock that afternoon when a tube in one of the boilers in the power house of the Empire Gas & Electric Company blew out. Enea was employed as a fireman there and it was his first occasion at day work, having been previously employed at nights. Two other men were also burned by the steam, but Enea was the only one to receive fatal injuries. It is stated that when Enea was picked up the flesh dropped from his arms and legs. Enea was employed at the local wheel factory for about two years, and left there about a year ago to work at Geneva. While employed there he was considered a most faithful workman and the news of his untimely death was received with much regret by those who knew him. He was a native of Italy and had been a resident of America for about 10 years. The deceased leaves his mother and a blind brother in Italy. He also had an uncle residing in Geneva. The funeral was held on Monday with burial in the latter city.

From Ontario County Journal 11 December 1891

John English,
a well-known cartman of the village of Phelps, died Tuesday forenoon while seated in a chair in the Phelps Citizen office. He was apparently well when he went into the office and death is supposed to have resulted from heart trouble. He was 56 years old.

From Geneva Daily Times 11 January 1908

Mrs. Elizabeth Enright,
wife of John Enright, died last night at 10 o'clock at the family residence, No. 164 East North street. She was 39 years of age. Besides her husband, she is survived by four daughters, Sister Clara Marie of the Immaculate Convent of Rochester, Kathleen, Lillian, and Clara Marie of this city; four sons, John, Edward, Gerald and Paul; her father, Robert Wilson of Belleville, Canada; four sisters, Mrs. Russell, Mrs. Blakely, Misses Florence and Irene Wilson, all of Belleville, Canada; and one brother, John Wilson, also of Belleville. Burial St. Patrick's Cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 27 December 1907

Canandaigua, N. Y. - Patrick Enright
died on Christmas morning at his home on Ontario street, aged 60 years. He leaves a widow, two daughters, Mrs. Mary Marlow of Rochester, and Mrs. Margaret Dawson of Canandaigua, and three sons, John Enright, a well-known Canandaigua vocalist, William Enright of Rochester, and Eugene Enright of Rochester.

From Ontario County Journal 16 July 1909

At the Memorial hospital on Friday occurred the death of William P. Enright of Rochester, formerly of this village. Death was due to chronic heart disease. Deceased was 38 years of age and is survived by two sons, Eugene and Harold, his mother, Mrs. Patrick Enright, two sisters, Mrs. Dennis Dawson and Mrs. James Milo, two brothers, John F. Enright of this village, and Eugene of Colorado. Funeral services were conducted by Rev. James T. Dougherty at St. Mary's church on Monday.

From Geneva Daily Times 1 February 1905

William B. Ensign,
seventy years old, who fell down stairs yesterday morning in the Tillman block on Exchange street, died last evening about 6 o'clock. Cause of death was paralysis. The remains were taken to the undertaking rooms of Kennedy & Kennedy. The funeral will be held at 2 o'clock tomorrow afternoon at the Salvation Army headquarters and Captain Courley will officiate. Burial will be in Rochester. Mr. Ensign came to this city to live about six weeks ago. He is survived by his wife and six married daughters, Mrs. Darling of this city, Mrs. Pritchard of Corning, Mrs. Brooks of Woodhull, Mrs. Meads of Hornellsville, Mrs. Laborer of Arkport and Mrs. Van Auken of Rochester.

From Geneva Daily Times 3 April 1896

The death of George Erhart occurred last evening at 9:30 o'clock at his home on State street, after a lingering illness of five months duration. Mr. Erhart was born in Auburn, and was aged 44 years, 7 months and 12 days. He came to Geneva in May, 1889, to enter the employment of Pierce, Butler and Pierce, as a moulder, having formerly been in the grocery business in his native city. Four years ago he entered the moulding department of the Stove Works where he remained as long as his health permitted. He was a member of the Moulders Union and of the A. O. U. W., in good standing. He leaves a wife and six children, besides one brother, M. L. Erhart of Geneva. The funeral will be held on Sunday from the residence of P. Hahn, 28 Owasco street, Auburn, the party leaving Geneva by the 9:16 Central Sunday morning train. The members of the union and society, to which deceased belonged, are invited to attend. Burial will be made in St. Joseph cemetery in Auburn. Mr. Erhart was highly esteemed by his friends who will extend their condolence to the family. 

From Geneva Daily Times 26 May 1902

Michael L. Erhart,
of 75 Andes avenue, died at 9 o'clock yesterday morning, at the Willard state hospital, aged 48 years. The deceased was born in Auburn and came to Geneva 18 years ago.  He was first employed at the works of Pierce, Butler & Pierce, and later at the Phillips & Clark stove works.  His illness began three years ago.  He was taken to Willard a year and a half ago. The deceased was a member of White Springs lodge, A. O. U. W.; Arius court, Tribe of Ben Hur, and of the local iron moulders' union.  He is survived by a wife and two daughters, Mrs. Fred Shelansky and Miss Blanche Erhart, both of this city.  The funeral will take place from his late residence at 3 o'clock tomorrow afternoon.  Rev. Charles DeWoody will officiate. At 4:30 o'clock the remains will be taken to Auburn, where services will be held on Wednesday, and where the interment will take place.

From Geneva Daily Times 15 December 1908

Mrs. Flora Erskine,
widow of the late William Erskine, died this morning at 3 o'clock at the Church Home, where she had been living for over a year. Previous to this time she had made her home with her son, H. W. Erskine, who several months ago moved to Chicago. The deceased was 76 years old. Besides the one son, H. W. Erskine, she leaves three sisters in Maine, and three grandchildren, George, Edith and Florence Erskine of Chicago. The funeral will take place Thursday afternoon at 2 o'clock from the Church Home. Rev. C. M. Sills will officiate and burial will be in Glenwood.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 30 October 1907

Rushville, N. Y. -  Mrs. Sarah Erwin
died at her home in this village Saturday, after an illness of about ten days. Prior to her last sickness, she had been a great sufferer from rheumatism for many years. Mrs. Erwin was born in England in 1824. At an early age her parents moved to America. For over fifty years she had been a resident of this village where at one time she conducted a millinery establishment. Mrs. Erwin was a faithful member of the Methodist church of this place, attending its services when she was scarcely able to walk to and from the church. She was one of five children and is survived by one sister, Mrs. Mary Furgeson of Newark, N. Y.; also one daughter, Mrs. Wilson Reed of Oaks Corners. The funeral services were held on Monday afternoon at half-past one at her late home, her pastor, Rev. Harsey King, officiating. Burial was made at Number 9 cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 17 February 1888

West Farmington, N. Y. - Benjamin Estes, an old and respected inhabitant of Farmington, aged 78, died at his residence near the "Hook" on Friday of last week of cancer of the liver. His funeral took place Monday at the Friends meeting house and was largely attended by relatives and friends. He leaves a widow and son, Elisha, of Gorham, and a daughter, Mrs. George Herendeen, of Farmington.

From Ontario County Journal 5 June 1896

Reed's Corners, N. Y. - Mrs. Elisha Estes
passed away on Monday evening after years of suffering. She leaves a husband and three daughters and a sister to mourn her loss. The family have the sympathy of the whole community, for it is for them to mourn a devoted wife and a kind and loving mother. The funeral was held on Wednesday at 1 p.m. at the home. Interment in Woodlawn cemetery, Canandaigua. The K. O. T. M. and L. O. T. M. attended the funeral in a body in honor of the sister and brother.

From Victor Herald 23 February 1900

Farmington, N. Y. - Mrs. Mary Estess,
a lifelong resident of this place, passed away last Friday. The funeral was held Monday at the Orthodox Friends Church. Rev. E. P. Wood, assisted by Mrs. Flageler, of Macedon Center, conducted the ceremonies.

From Geneva Daily Times 10 June 1905

Phelps, N. Y. - Mrs. A. B. Estey,
40 years old, an esteemed resident of this village, died at 10 o'clock Friday evening at her summer home near Seneca Castle.  For years she had been in ill health and at times her sufferings were intense. Tuesday she was stricken with apoplexy, which was the direct cause of her death. Mrs. Estey was formerly Miss Belle M. Carson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A. M. Carson, who now reside on West Main street, this village. She was born at Hudson, Mich., and was married to A. B. Estey, fifteen years ago. Shortly after their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Estey came to New York state and lived a greater part of their time at Seneca Castle. Three years ago they came to Phelps and made this village their permanent home. Mrs. Estey was a member of the Methodist church and as far as her health would permit took an active interest on church affairs. She is survived, besides by her husband, by one daughter, Miss Vida, also her parents, Mr. and Mrs. A. B. Estey, all of this village. The funeral will be held Sunday afternoon at the Methodist church and burial will be made at Whitney's cemetery, Seneca Castle.

From Geneva Daily Times 1 April 1912

Canandaigua, N. Y. - 
After nearly a two-days search and the dragging of Canandaigua lake, the body of John B. Estey, of Flint, was found about 11:30 o'clock yesterday morning on the ice about 45 feet from the shore at the mouth of Deep Run Creek. The body was found lying face downward by Leslie Young, James Estey and Charles Leet of Flint. They had just arrived in an automobile when they discovered the body on the ice near the shore. Between the ice and the shore was water for some distance and it was necessary for the men to procure a boat to reach the man. Coroner Armstrong of Canandaigua was summoned and granted a certificate of death from exposure. Mr. Estey was man 84 years of age and is said to have been of feeble mind, but of strong physique except for advancing years. He disappeared from his home at Flint Friday about noon. Estey's son, Frank J. Estey, who has had charge of his father's business for several years on account of the feebleness of mind of the aged man, yesterday offered a reward of $100 for the discovery of the body of his father, dead or alive.

Mr. Estey said he was going to his daughter's, Mrs. W. E. Cook, who resides some little distance away. He probably went to his daughter's as he had intended, but not finding her home, he again went into the road and turned west instead of going back to his son's. Whether the man was confused or whether he deliberately started to walk on the Geneva-Canandaigua turnpike is not know. Neighbors saw the man going west on the turnpike and later several people residing near Cottage City, some ten or more miles from Flint, saw an old man walking along the road Friday evening about 7:30 o'clock going southwards. He had a cane and his description tallies quite closely with that of the missing man. Saturday searchers were able to trace the tracks of that man to a bridge over a creek, but were unable to find any place where the tracks led away from the bridge. The whole countryside about Cottage City was aroused and with Sheriff Gooding directing, an energetic hunt was made.

Mr. Estey must have reached the ice at a point some distance up the lake from where his body was found, as there was water between the ice and the shore for a mile or more. It is believed that he walked at least eighteen miles  and the supposition is that when he reached this point on the ice, he was tired and sat down to rest. He had evidently removed his mittens for they lay on the ice beside his head. In his exhaustion, he fell over on his face and death came to his relief. A cane, which he had when he started out was not with him and had evidently been lost somewhere in his journey. The body was removed by Undertaker Kennedy to his home at Flint. He leaves three sons, Frank of Orleans; Fred of Flint, with whom he resided; and Alexander of Rochester; two daughters, Mrs. William Cook and Mrs. F. O. Newton, both of Flint.

From Geneva Courier 19 June 1901

Mrs. John Esty
of Flint Creek died Friday at the family residence, aged 74 years.  Her husband, one son and two daughters survive her. The funeral held Sunday afternoon at the Flint Methodist church and interment was at Sand Hill cemetery.

From Geneva Gazette 16 August 1889

Wm. P. Esty
died at his residence, Seneca Castle, on the 14th inst. of apoplexy.  It was the third stroke of the fearful malady which he had experienced in the space of a few weeks.  The last one fell upon him while he was engaged in his favorite pastime of fishing, last Monday.  Although he survived till Wednesday he did not recover consciousness which he lost at this third stroke.  Deceased was the second child of a family of 8 children, the mother of whom, Mrs. A. B. Esty, is living with her daughter, Mrs. Thatcher, in Hopewell.  William was 60 years of age, and leaves a widow and four children.

From Geneva Gazette 8 March 1901

Mrs. William P. Esty
died Monday at the home of her daughter, in Seneca Castle, aged 67 years.  The deceased is survived by two daughters, Mrs. W. Newell and Mrs. Eugene Webster, of Seneca Castle, and by two sons, George Esty of Clifton Springs, and A. B. Esty of Seneca Castle.  The funeral was held from the home at 2 o'clock yesterday afternoon.

From Ontario County Journal 11 December 1891

John H. Etts,
a well-known and highly esteemed citizen and business man of this village, died at his residence on Pleasant street yesterday, after a lingering and painful illness. Mr. Etts was born in 1841 in Middlebury, Holland. He came to this country with his parents at the age of eight years. In Rochester he learned the trade of tinsmith, and was early identified with the old volunteer fire department in that city. He came to this village in 1859 and was employed by the late Mr. Mattice. He at once became actively interested in the local volunteer fire department and continued his active membership until 1886, when he was compelled to retire by failing health. He was for some time foreman of Steamer Co. No. 1. Since his retirement from more active service, he had been one of the fire wardens of the department. He was sergeant of Co. G, 18th N. Y. Vol. Inf., having enlisted April 20th, 1861, for two years service. He was held in most cordial esteem by his comrades in arms, as well as by his associates in the fire service, and was generally respected as an upright business man and a good citizen. The funeral services will be held tomorrow (Saturday) afternoon at half-past two o'clock, from the late residence of the deceased on Pleasant street.

From Ontario County Journal 8 March 1889

Miller's Corners, N. Y. - Ida Wilson Evans, wife of James Evans, died last week after a long illness. Her funeral was held on Thursday at 1 p.m., Rev. Mr. Sherrill of West Bloomfield officiating.

From Ontario County Journal 5 March 1875

Mrs. Triphena Evans
died at her home, in the western part of this town, on Monday last, having reached the extreme age of 102 years.  She came to this section when she was only 15 years old, and has resided on the same premises 87 years. She was a daughter of Elijah Rose, one of the first settlers in this vicinity, who surveyed land hereabouts in its wilderness state. She has three sisters, who are still living, aged respectively 84, 87 and 89 years.

From Ontario County Journal 22 September 1899

Reed's Corner, N. Y. - 
The sad and sudden death of William Evans, one of the oldest residents, occurred at his home on Sunday morning. The funeral was held from the Congregational church on Tuesday morning with interment at the Reed's Corners cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 29 January 1909

East Bloomfield, N. Y. -
On Friday afternoon occurred the death of Mrs. Aurelia Evarts at the home of her granddaughter, Mrs. Frances Wheeler. Mrs. Evarts was born in this town 92 years ago. She is survived by her granddaughter, Mrs. Wheeler; two great-grandchildren, Mrs. Arthur Dewey of this town, and Wallace Wheeler, of Buffalo, besides several nieces and nephews. The funeral was held on Monday afternoon from the house, Rev. W. D. Robinson officiating. Burial was in Evergreen Cemetery at Bristol.

From Ontario County Journal 25 March 1898

Bristol Springs, N. Y. -
The funeral of Esther, wife of Frank Evarts, was held on Tuesday, Mrs. Evarts having died of consumption, leaving an infant besides an older child. Deceased was a sister of Grant, Charles H. and Will Dunton, being the last of three sisters to succumb to the same malady.

From Geneva Daily Times, December 26, 1929, page 9

Word has been received in this city of the death Tuesday afternoon of Charles P. Evered of Montgomery, Missouri. Mr. Evered was 99 years of age and up until 1925 was an annual visitor to Syracuse and Geneva. He has been a member of the Masonic Lodge for over 70 years. Mr. Evered is survived by one sister, Mrs. Eleanor E. Wintzer of Syracuse and two nieces, Mrs. Ida T. Kirk of Syracuse and Miss Ruby A. Kenfield of Geneva. The funeral and burial was held today in Montgomery, Mo. Thanks to Martha McGill for this contribution.

From Geneva Courier 4 July 1877

Died at Hopewell, on the morning of June 29th, Rev. Ebenezer Everett, aged 86 years.  Mr. Everett was graduated at Dartmouth College, N. H. in 1813 and was licensed to preach the gospel in 1815.  He was for many years a member of Geneva Presbytery and was confided in as a humble, devoted and useful minister of Christ.

From Geneva Daily Times 29 February 1908

Canandaigua, N. Y. - George Everett,
a prominent resident of Bristol, in this county, died Thursday at the age of 70 years at his home. He came to Bristol when about 25 years of age, and had since resided in that part of Bristol known as Ganiard Hill.

From Ontario County Journal 10 June 1910

Bristol, N. Y. - 
On Sunday morning another aged lifelong resident died, Mrs. Phila Everett, who was born in Bristol in 1835. She was the eldest of a family of nine children born to Ephriam and Mary Dunham. All but one survive her. They are: Carter of Michigan; William, Henry, Mrs. Harrison Wood, Mrs. Daniel Taylor, Mrs. Lucina Case, all of Bristol; and Mrs. Frank Hulbert of Shortsville. Mrs. Everett was married in 1852 to Joseph Walker Johnson. Two children, Albert and Nellie (Mrs. Edward Murray) were born to them. She was left a widow in 1860 and afterward married George Everett, who died two years ago. About a year ago she had a stroke of paralysis and had never regained her full health since. Six grandchildren, Hale Johnson, Mrs. Frank Nichols of Geneva; Floyd and Elsie Murry, Mrs. Irving Pestle and Mrs. Taylor Wells of Bristol; also four great-grandchildren survive. The funeral was held from the home of Edward Murry on Tuesday, Rev. A. Briddon officiating; burial was in Evergreen cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 22 April 1892

On Sunday, Parchal Everts, an old resident of Bristol, suicided by hanging. Early that morning, he took the rope from his blacksmith shop, and while returning to his house invite a relative, Boswell Lusse, to pay him a call, at the same time remarking how lonesome it was to live alone. When Lusse arrived at the house he found the old man suspended by the neck from the baluster. He called in some of the neighbors, who assisted in getting Everts from his precarious position. He was still breathing, though very much overcome, and lived until Monday night. It is supposed that he became disheartened and discouraged over the recent loss of his place. He was nearly blind, which was considerable of a detriment to his business. He was seventy-two years of age and leaves four children, a brother, Walter Everts, and a sister, Mrs. Delia Baily. The funeral services were held at the Universalist church on Wednesday morning, the Rev. F. J. Orelup officiating clergyman.

Return to the Ontario Co. GenWeb page            

Copyright © 2002-10, Ontario County NYGenWeb and each contributor and author of materials herein. All rights reserved.

Updated 13 August 2010