"Du" to "Duo" OBITUARIES

From Ontario County Chronicle 10 February 1904

Mrs. Emma Dubel,
wife of Upton T. Dubel, died Thursday morning from heart disease complicated with pneumonia. She was a member of the Presbyterian church and was well-known and universally respected. She is survived by her husband and two children, Maurice T. and Miss Glenna Dubel; also three brothers, Charles and William DeMuth of Thurmont, Md., and Joseph DeMuth of Toledo.

From Ontario County Journal 16 January 1914

The death of Upton T. Dubel occurred at the Memorial Hospital early Saturday morning following a long illness of diabetes. Mr. Dubel was born in Thurmont, Md., on July 30, 1858, being one of a family of nine brothers and sisters, all of whom are residing at Maryland, Ohio and Seattle, Wash. He came to Canandaigua from Dayton, Ohio, 21 years ago, to take up the superintendency of Woodlawn cemetery. He was loyal, faithful and conscientious in the discharge of every duty and obligation. He was first married in Dayton, O., to Miss Emma F. Damuth, who died 10 years ago. Of this union two children survive, Morris Dubel of Rochester, and Mrs. Glenna McMaster of Canandaigua. On May 1, 1906, he married Mrs. Ada Preston, who also survives.

Mr. Dubel was a member of the Canandaigua lodge I. O. O. F., and of the Rebekah lodge, also of Canandaigua grange, of which he was serving a second term as master, at the time of his death, and of the Ancient Order of the National Protective Order of United Workmen. He was also president of the National Protective Legion at the time of his death.

The funeral services were held in the chapel in Woodlawn cemetery on Tuesday afternoon, the services being conducted by Rev. Guy L. Morrill, assisted by Rev. D. S. Hooker. Canandaigua lodge of Odd Fellows attended in a body. A quartet composed of G. L. Holcomb, W. G. Dodds, William J. MacFarlane and Hon. Robert F. Thompson, sang. The active bearers were Walter Knapp, Alexander Davidson, Charles F. Robertson, Dr. O. J. Hallenbeck, A. C. Cappon and Clarence Mead. Honorary bearers were Dr. M. R. Carson, George B. Anderson, James D. Park and O. S. Bacon.

From Shortsville Enterprise 21 July 1911

Last week Wednesday afternoon while Frank Dubler, who resided about two miles north of Clifton Springs on the A. Jay Short farm, was assisting his neighbor, John Peters, to spray potatoes, he fell from the spraying machine and received such injuries as to cause his death the following Saturday. Mr. Dubler was driving the team and was sitting on the front of the sprayer, when the machine struck a large stone and the jar was sufficient to knock him from his position. He struck the ground on his head and fell directly in front of one of the wheels, which, instead of passing over him, pushed him along for several feet. His companion stopped the horses as quickly as possible and removed him from beneath the machine. Mr. Peters saw that Dubler was seriously injured and telephoned to Clifton Springs for a physician, who found him to be paralyzed and conscious only a portion of the time. His condition grew worse and the next day he was removed to the annex of the sanitarium in that village where an operation was performed in the hopes of saving his life. Everything possible was done to relieve his condition, but he gradually grew worse until Saturday, when death put an end to his terrible suffering.

Mr. Dubler was aged 32 years, and had spent nearly his whole life in this vicinity. He had worked at the factory of the Shortsville Wheel Company for some time and was always a popular young man with his fellow workmen. His wife is a sister of Gottlieb Walter of East avenue. Beside his wife, he leaves two children, a mother and several sisters and brothers.

From Geneva Daily Times 17 June 1937

Clifton Springs, N. Y. - John F. Dubler died at his home in Manchester Center Wednesday morning at he age of 63 years. He had lived in this vicinity for many years and was employed by the Lehigh Valley railroad. He is survived by his widow, Delia Dubler; two sons, Edward A. Dubler of Newark and Francis J. Dubler of the United States Navy; two daughters Mrs. Arthur Granger, Rochester and Mrs. Eugene Smock, Clifton Springs; four grandchildren, three brothers, Bernard H. Dubler, Manchester, Edward F. and Charles F. Dubler, Shortsville; four sisters, Mrs. George Knabb, Charlotte, Mrs. William Raymond, Canandaigua, Miss Mary Dubler and Mrs. George Fowler, Rochester; several nieces and nephews. Funeral from the home Saturday morning at 8:30 and from St. Felix Roman Catholic Church, Clifton Springs, 9:30. Burial in St. Agnes Cemetery, Rev. J. M. O'Brien officiating.

From Ontario County Journal 26 April 1912

The funeral services of Mrs. Mary Dubler, aged 58 years, whose death occurred at the home of her daughter, Mrs. William Raymond, Mason street, last Friday, were held from St. Mary's church on Monday morning. Mrs. Dubler had been an invalid for several years. She leaves four sons, John of Clifton Springs, Edward of Rochester, Charles and Barney Dubler of Canandaigua; four daughters, Mrs. George Knapp of Brockport, Miss Mary Dubler and Mrs. Raymond, of this village; also one sister, Mrs. Jacob Remery of Chapin.

From Ontario County Journal 2 February 1906

On Wednesday occurred the death of Mrs. Inez E. Latham, wife of Charles Dubois, at her home on Antis street, aged 50 years. Deceased had been in failing health for some time. Besides the husband, two sons, Erwin and Charles; and one daughter, Miss Florence Dubois, survive. The funeral services will be held at the home at 2 o'clock tomorrow afternoon, and Rev. J. Scott Ebersole will officiate.

From Geneva Daily Times 8 May 1908

Byron McMaster,
aged about 50 years, and James DuBois, Jr., aged about 38 years, who resided on the shores of Canandaigua lake, were drowned in the lake yesterday afternoon while on a fishing trip. The men left their homes about 4 o'clock yesterday afternoon and went out upon the lake to fish. About 7 o'clock last evening, L. C. Adams, who resides about three miles up the east shore of the lake, heard cries for help. He and his son went to the shore immediately and saw two men clinging to an upturned boat at a point near the middle of the lake, about half a mile from shore. The men at the time were struggling to right the boat and climb into it, but were evidently meeting with but little success. Adams got out his own boat and started to the rescue. His boat was leaking badly, however, and he was obliged to return for another. When he was ready to go out again it was quite dark and the cries of the men had ceased. When Mr. Adams reached the middle of the lake everything was still and no trace could be found either of the men or the boat. The facts in the case were telephoned to Canandaigua and Adams and other neighbors continued the search through the night without results. This morning a larger searching party was organized under the direction of Coroner Warner and about thirty boats spent the morning on the lake dragging for the bodies. Up until noon no trace of the men had been found. The boat occupied by them was found on the shore at the foot of the lake. The boat contained the cap of one of the men and a whitefish. It had evidently been overturned but was rightside up when found. The lake was very rough at the time the accident happened and the boat had drifted in to shore during the night. At the place where the drowning occurred the water is not very deep and it is expected that both bodies will be recovered. McMaster is survived by his widow, two sons and one daughter. DuBois is survived by his widow and one son three years of age.

From Ontario County Journal 5 November 1909

The death of James Dubois, who passed away at his home on Lake street on Friday, removed a familiar figure from the haunts of the fishermen. Death was due to general debility. Mr. Dubois was perhaps more familiar with the fishing grounds at this end of the lake than any other man, and knew where to find the white fish and bull heads at all seasons. Deceased was 74 years of age. His wife died several years ago. There survive four sons, Charles H., Rankin and Wallace Dubois of this village, and David Dubois, of Batavia; also two daughters, Mrs. Louis Tobin of this village, and Mrs. Charles Dewey of Palmyra. Funeral services were held on Sunday afternoon at the Curtice undertaking rooms.

From Ontario County Journal 10 November 1916

Victor, N. Y. -  Rev. James H. Dubois,
of this town, died at the home of his sister, Mrs. Mary Bennett, at Waverly, on Oct. 31 of arterial sclerosis. A few weeks ago, Mr. Dubois went to visit his sister, thinking the change would prove beneficial, but not long after his arrival he grew worse. He was born at Humphrey on August 7, 1811; was married on Nov. 25, 1868, to Miss Mary E. Van Voorhis, of Victor. In the fall of the same year he entered the Methodist Episcopal ministry in Genesee conference and was a pastor for 18 years. Ill health compelled him to retire from the ministry and he purchased a home in this village, where he resided for 30 years. He is survived by his wife and one daughter, Mrs. Roy A. Deal, of this village; and two sisters, Mrs. Mary Bennett and Miss Clarissa Dubois, both of Waverly; and two brothers, Rev. Milton Dubois of Leroy and Edmond Dubois of Bradford, Pa. Funeral services were conducted from the family home on Friday by Rev. J. W. Allatt, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church. Interment was in Boughton Hill cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 28 June 1905

In Willard, June 27th, occurred the death of Mrs. Jennie DuBois, wife of James DuBois of this place. Mrs. DuBois is survived by her husband, five sons, Charles, James, Rankin, and Wallace of Canandaigua, and David  of Batavia; and four daughters, Mrs. Emma L. Tobin and Mrs. Jennie Twist of Canandaigua; Mrs. Anna Dewey of Chapinville, and Mrs. Ida N. Pratt of Geneva. Funeral will be held from the home on the lake shore road Thursday afternoon at 2 o'clock. Interment in West avenue cemetery. A peculiar fact in connection with this death is that up to the time of the death of Mrs. DuBois, five generations of her family were living, as her son, Charles DuBois, has grandchildren and her mother, Mrs. Nancy McCormack, is still living. This is one of the rare cases where a great-grandmother has preceded in death the great-great-grandmother of the youngest branch of the family.

From Ontario County Journal 15 June 1917

The death of Mrs. Rose Dubois, aged 32 years, wife of John Dubois, occurred at her home on Phoenix street on Friday. Besides her husband, she leaves three children, her father, Bernard Tuohey, and two sisters, Mrs. Charles Dubois and Miss Catharine Tuohey, of Canandaigua. The funeral services were held at St. Mary's church on Monday. Interment was in Calvary cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 4 February 1910

Mrs. Eliza Duck,
aged 87 years, died last night at 9:30 o'clock at the home of her son, Joseph Duck, 178 Lewis street. She is survived by five sons, Jonathan of Portland, Ore., Rev. Thomas Duck of Toccoa, Ga., Frederick C. Duck and David Duck of Auburn and Joseph Duck of Geneva.

From Syracuse Post Standard 1 December 1913

Geneva, N. Y., Nov. 30 -
The funeral of Mrs. Elizabeth R. Duck, 65, whose death occurred yesterday, will be held at the house, at 2 o'clock tomorrow afternoon. Rev. David H. Craver will officiate with burial at Glenwood Cemetery. Besides her husband, she leaves one son, William T. Duck of Geneva; three daughters, Mrs. Frank Whedon, Miss Harriet Duck and Mina Nellie Duck of Geneva; and two sisters, Mrs. Anna Rogers and Mrs. Silas Ring of Geneva.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 5 October 1934

Lockport, N. Y. - Joseph T. Duck,
84, died here yesterday in Odd Fellows Home. He was a native of England but lived many yrs in Geneva from where he was admitted to the home three years ago as a member of Old Castle Lodge, IOOF, of Geneva. Surviving are a son, William Duck of Geneva; a daughter, Mrs. Frank A. Wheadon of Phelps; Rev. Thomas Duck of Decatur, Ga. Burial will be in Geneva.

From Ontario County Journal 19 February 1915

Naples, N. Y. - 
On Friday afternoon, while on the way to the funeral of his sister-in-law, Mrs. Peck, John Duclos fell in front of the Connaughty house. Friends carried him into the house, and Drs. Wilbur and Manley were called, but Mr. Duclos was dead before they reached the place. Mrs. Duclos had gone into the church for the funeral service of her only sister, and word was not taken to her until the close when she was taken home. Mr. Duclos was born in France 69 years ago, but had lived in Naples many years. He was a veteran of the Civil war. Besides his wife, who was Miss Louise Parr, of Naples, he leaves one son, Harold Duclos. Funeral services were held on Monday. The Naples veterans attended in a body.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 17 November 1931

Naples, N. Y., Nov. 16 - Mrs. Louise Duclos,
widow of John Duclos, died today. She leaves a son, Harold of Naples. Funeral Wednesday at the Presbyterian church at 2:30 o'clock.

From Ontario County Journal 4 December 1885

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - Mr. S. B. Dudley,
a life-long resident of this town, died last Wednesday morning after a short illness. He was the son of Abraham Dudley, one of the pioneers of East Bloomfield, and was born on the 17th of May 1817, on the farm on which he has resided all of his life. The funeral services were held on Friday at 2 p.m.

From Ontario County Journal 28 January 1881

Naples, N. Y. -
Coroner Dr. John H. Jewett of Canandaigua, was summoned here last Friday to hold an inquest over the body of Mrs. Charlotte Duell, who died on Thursday, Jan. 20th. Mrs. Duell was a widow, about 35 years old, with a family of eight children, in comparatively destitute circumstances. Just before her death, she signed a sworn statement charging F. W. Griswold, of Italy, with unlawful intercourse with her on promise of marriage, and when she had become pregnant, with taking taking her to Wayland to a doctor, who procured an abortion, which was the cause of her death. Warrants were issued for these parties, and they were present at the inquest. The evidence obtained failed to substantiate the woman's dying accusation, and the jury was compelled to give a verdict of "Death by natural causes." The verdict was based upon the evidence of three of our physicians, and the universal query now is, were they deceived, or what was the matter? for not one in a hundred but still believes the dying woman swore to the truth as far as the seducer is concerned. The case excites a great deal of talk and speculation, mingled with sympathy for the poor, homeless orphans. Coroner Jewett conducted the inquest with dignity and ability, and won many friends during his short stay. As a matter of course, the prisoners were immediately discharged. It is possible the end is not yet.

From Ontario Republican Times 11 June 1862

Intelligence was received here last week to the effect that Sergeant S. C. Duell, of this town, had been killed in an engagement with the rebels. The following letter from the Captain of the Company to which he was attached, addressed to the wife of the deceased soldier, confirms the report and gives the particulars of the sad event:

Harper's Ferry, Va., May 27
Mrs. S. C. Duell -- It is my painful task to inform you that by the dispensation of that Providence who rules alike for good in Peace or War, your and my country has lost a brave defender, and you have lost your husband. This company and myself feel that by the death of Sergeant Duell, we have lost a Patriot, and a gloom now deepened by the wounding and possibly death of a number of others of the company in the battle of Winchester the following day, hangs around us as we sit by our bivouac fires tonight. I can offer no consolation except to say that we knew him and by our loss can in some way measure yours. His name will not be dropped from our roll call, for in spirit he is still with us and with our cause.

On Saturday, the 24th, my company received orders to move from Charleston to Winchester immediately. We started about 1 p.m., sending our horses with a guard in charge of Sergeant Duell. At Berryville 12 miles on the way, the party were surprised and suddenly fired on by a party of guerrillas, some 20 in number. Mr. Duell fell dead from his saddle and the party returned rapidly and got out of reach of the second fire. His horse which he brought from home, together with equipments, was brought back to camp and is now in my possession. I will use him until you may order me how to dispose of him. I might find a purchaser if he is for sale and you will name the price. His watch and money were taken by the rebels, and as I understand, are in possession of a citizen of Berryville. I may possibly be able to get them. Be assured we will not soon forget him or his murderers, and while we acknowledge that vengeance is for the Lord, we think and hope we may be permitted to be humble instruments. In regard to his pay &c., I will write full particulars on receipt of a line from you or some friend.
Yours very truly, E. M. Pope, Capt. 8th N. Y. V. C.

From Geneva Daily Times 13 February 1915

Naples, N.Y. -
While hastening to the Presbyterian church to attend the funeral of his sister-in-law, Mrs. Emory Peck, John Duelos fell to the sidewalk and those who ran to assist him found he was dead. His wife and others had already entered the church and they were not notified of his death until after the service. R. F. Meyers carried the remains to the home. It is supposed he was overcome by the excitement of Mrs. Peck's death and by the exertion of walking a considerable distance from his home on Vine street, over walks covered with ice. He had been feeble for many months. He conducted a tailor shop for several years, also was employed at the Tobey clothing store. He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Louise Duelos, and one son, Harold Duelos, aged about 14 years. Burial Rose Ridge Cemetery.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 24 May 1905

Shortsville, N. Y. - Mrs. John Duffin
died at her home in Farmington on Wednesday afternoon of last week after an illness of many months, at the age of 45 years. The funeral was held from the Catholic church in Macedon at 10 o'clock on Friday morning, conducted by Father Hartley of Palmyra, and interment followed in the Palmyra Catholic Cemetery. Mrs. Duffin is survived by one son, William Duffin, and one daughter, Miss Sarah Duffin, both of Farmington.

From Geneva Daily Times 7 September 1943

The funeral of Mrs. Clara A. Duffy was held this morning at 8:30 o'clock from the home of her daughter, Mrs. Joseph Fennell of 235 Nursery avenue, and at 9 o'clock from St. Francis de Sales Church. Rev. Valentine Jankowiak celebrated a requiem high mass, and also officiated at the interment in St. Patrick's Cemetery. Bearers were Carroll Hickey, Charles, William and Joseph Hickey, Joseph DeBott and Fred Ferris.

From Ontario County Journal 21 February 1913

The death of Henry Duffy, aged 61 years, occurred at Memorial Hospital Monday morning of general debility. Surviving are three daughters and one son: Miss Teresa Duffy of Clifton Springs, Mrs. Catherine Spence and Mrs. Michael Welch and Henry Duffy of Canandaigua; also one sister, Mrs. James Ward of Canandaigua. The funeral was held at St. Mary's church on Wednesday.

From Ontario County Chronicle 27 April 1904

Allen's Hill, N. Y. -
On Monday morning occurred the death of Mrs. James Duffy. Mrs. Duffy was a great sufferer of abscesses of which she died. She bore her sufferings with Christian fortitude and patience. She leaves to mourn her loss a husband, three daughters and four sons. Mrs. Duffy was buried Wednesday at West Bloomfield, Rev. Freeman of Rochester officiating. Her sons acted as bearers.

From Geneva Daily Times 28 September 1906

Joseph Duffy
, aged 26 years, died this afternoon at 1:10 o'clock at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Butterfield of Lewis street. Besides his widow, he is survived by two small children; a father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. P. H. Duffy of Waterloo, two brothers, Frank Duffy of Detroit and Thomas of Waterloo; and two sisters, Clara and Janet; and an uncle, Joseph Duffy of Rose street, this city. The funeral arrangements will be announced later.

From Geneva Daily Times 6 December 1909

Mrs. Mary A. Duffy,
aged 63 years, died yesterday morning at 2:30 o'clock at her home, No. 61 West avenue. She is survived by her husband, Patrick Duffy; two son, Martin and Patrick, Jr.; three daughters, Mrs. Harry Vickery, Misses Mary and Sarah Duffy; one brother, James Cahill of Ireland; and one sister, Mrs. John Welch of this city. The funeral will take place tomorrow morning at 9 o'clock from the house and at 9:30 o'clock from St. Stephen's church. Interment in St. Patrick's Cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 28 July 1899

The death of David Dugan occurred at his home in this village early Tuesday morning. About ten years ago Mr. Dugan suffered a stroke of paralysis and has been an invalid and in failing health since that time. He came to this village from Ireland many years ago, and most of the 70 years of his life has been spent in this village. He imparted his spirit of thrift and industry to his large family of children, all of whom have gone forth to positions of trust and responsibility. Besides his wife, there survive him six daughters, Mary, Margaret, Katherine, Nellie, Josephine and Anna Dugan; and three sons, Thomas and Michael of this village, and John W. Dugan of Buffalo. The funeral services were held at the church of St. Mary at 9:30 o'clock yesterday morning, Rev. D. English officiating.

From Ontario County Journal 8 February 1901

Shortsville, N. Y. - 
The death of Jerome Dugan occurred very unexpectedly on Friday night at his home in this village. He had been feeling unusually well, and death came without warning. He had resided in this place about one year, having moved here with his family from Seneca Castle. He was a member of the Presbyterian church of that place, and his remains were taken there yesterday where the funeral services were held.

From Ontario County Journal 17 April 1914

The death of Mrs. Margaret Dugan, occurred at the home of her son, in Canandaigua town, on Monday morning, aged 83 years. She leaves three daughters and two sons, Miss Mary Dugan, of Washington, D. C.; Margaret and David Dugan, of Canandaigua town; Miss Catherine Dugan of Rochester; and Dr. John Dugan of Albion. The remains were shipped to Penn Yan where the funeral services were held yesterday.

From Ontario County Journal 29 December 1899

The death of Mrs. Mary Dugan occurred at her home on Jefferson avenue last Sunday afternoon, aged about 65 years, after an illness which terminated in acute bronchitis. The funeral was held on Wednesday morning, just five months to a day from the date her husband was buried. There survive her nine children, Mary, Margaret, Catherine, Nellie, Josephine and Anna Dugan, of this village; John W. Dugan of Buffalo, and M. D. and Thomas Dugan of this village.

From Geneva Daily Times 3 March 1905

Canandaigua, N. Y. - Mrs. Michael D. Dugan,
of Scotland Road, whose condition has been precarious since the birth of a son about three weeks ago, died last night, aged about thirty-eight years. She leaves four children, her husband, two brothers and a sister. The death is an unusually sad one, depriving as it does, four little children of their mother's care. The surviving brothers are Thomas H. O'Brien, trustee of the second ward of this village; William O'Brien of Waterloo; the sister is Miss Katharine O'Brien of Cleveland, O.

From Auburn Citizen 15 November 1906

Canandaigua, N. Y., Nov. 13 -
At Willard State hospital yesterday morning occurred the death of Thomas Dugan of this village, for years a New York Central engineer. He had been a sufferer from melancholy for nearly two years and had been receiving treatment at the hospital during that time. Mr. Dugan was born in Canandaigua about 50 years ago and had been in the employ of the railroad company since he was a small boy. He went on the road as fireman, was a freight engineer for several years and long held positions as passenger engineer. He ran engines on the Auburn, Batavia and main road, and it was while he was engineer of the Auburn Buffalo express that he met with an accident which permanently affected him. His train crashed into a freight near Auburn about nine years ago. Two persons were killed and Mr. Dugan was among the seriously injured. He received a blow on the head which laid him up for months. He took a minor run when he returned to the road, but never recovered the buoyant and genial spirit that made him popular with all railroad men. The accident was upon his mind, and when, while running a passenger train through Geneva, he was compelled to look upon a fatal wreck in the yards there, his mind weakened. He still clung to the cab, and up to the last run he ever made there was no outward evidence of his mental condition. Mr. Dugan leaves his wife, Mrs. Ella Esan Dugan; one son, Arthur; and three daughters, Bessie, May and Helen. Two brothers, M. D. Dugan of this place and John Dugan of Buffalo, also survive.

From Penn Yan Democrat 30 January 1920

Stanley, N. Y. - Mrs. Martha Duggleby,
aged 75 years, died at her late home Saturday evening, after a long illness. The deceased was born in this village and has always resided here. She is survived by her two daughters, Misses Fannie and Jessie Duggleby, of this village; and two sisters, Mrs. Frances Hall and Mrs. Jennie Dodge of this village.

From Ontario County Journal 13 February 1914

Stanley, N. Y. -
The community was shocked on Tuesday morning to learn of the sudden death of William Duggleby. While he had been in poor health for several years, his death came unexpectedly. He had been a sufferer from asthma and bronchial trouble for some time. He had spent most of his life in this vicinity and was a man much respected. He was a veteran of the Civil war, in which he served for three years. Funeral services were held from his late home yesterday. Rev. A. B. Temple, of the Seneca Presbyterian church, having charge of the services. Deceased was a member of the No. 9 church for many years. There survive his widow; and two daughters, Misses Jennie and Fannie Duggleby, all of this place. Burial was at No. 9 cemetery. Mr. Duggleby was 74 years of age.

From Geneva Daily Times 16 October 1929

The funeral of Michael J. Dundon, 445 Pulteney street, whose body was found in Seneca Lake Monday morning, will be held tomorrow morning at 8:30 o'clock from the home of his daughter, Mrs. Fred Jardine, and 9 o'clock at St. Stephen's church. Interment will be in St. Patrick's cemetery.

From Shortsville Enterprise 12 March 1914

The death of Almerin Dunham, one of Manchester's oldest residents, occurred at his home in that village, aged 83 years, after a lingering illness. Mr. Dunham was born at Mansfield, Conn., on August 3, 1830, a son of Samuel and Aseneth Dunham. During the year of 1832 he came with his parents to what is now known as the Rufus Smith farm four miles north of this village, his father having purchased the property. The trip from Mansfield was made by way of Troy and the journey from that point was by way of Erie Canal boat. The deceased located in Manchester village about 60 years ago and later engaged in the nursery business which he conducted until 1890. He was always active in politics, being first a Whig and then a Democrat. For 14 years he served as town constable and one year as town collector, having been elected to the latter office on a Whig ticket in 1868. He was Justice of Peace for 20 consecutive years and retired from that office on December 31, 1911, owing to the infirmities of age. He also served as clerk of the village of Manchester for many years. The survivors are his wife, who was formerly Miss Elnora Herendeen, four sons, Percy Dunham of Canandaigua; George Dunham of Rochester; Edgar A. Dunham of Pittsburg, Pa.; and Carl Dunham, a resident of the West; also a half-brother, Augustus Turner, of Manchester. The funeral services were held from his late home on Friday afternoon last at 2 o'clock.

From Ontario County Journal 23 January 1914

On January 8, at the state hospital at Willard, occurred the death of Charles E. Dunham. He was born in Bristol on May 24, 1836, the son of Morgan and Maria Vincent Dunham. At an early age his family removed to Brighton. While still a young man, he returned to Bristol, where in 1863 he married Mary L. Wilson and they settled in Cayuga near Auburn, where they remained for five years. They then came back to Bristol and for nearly 500 years had resided on the farm he owned at the time of his death. He was known among horsemen for his ability in handling and selecting good horses and his judgment was consulted by prospective buyers for miles around. His courage and pleasure in this capacity never lessened until he had passed three score years and ten, when he suffered a stroke of the brain which slowly and surely destroyed both mind and strength. For two years following this misfortune, he was tenderly cared for at home, when his condition became such that this was no longer possible and he was taken to the Canandaigua hospital in the vain hope that he might there be benefited and again returned to his home. At the expiration of several weeks his condition grew worse and he was removed to the state hospital. He is survived by his widow; two daughters, Mrs. Frank E. Briggs of Bristol, and Mrs. Irving C. Briggs of Honeoye; two granddaughters; and a sister, Mrs. Juliette Waldron, who last autumn passed her 80th birthday and is the only survivor of a family of four daughters and three sons. The funeral was held from the home on Saturday and was largely attended. Rev. Henshaw of the Congregational church of Honeoye officiated. Burial was in Lakeview cemetery at Honeoye.

From Shortsville Enterprise 11 June 1920

The death of Mrs. Eleanora Dunham, relict of Almerin L. Dunham, for many years residents of Manchester village, occurred at Memorial hospital in Canandaigua on Friday morning last, following a three weeks' illness from pneumonia. Her age was 85 years. Mrs. Dunham had made her home in Manchester until six years ago, and had spent the time since her removal from that village in Canandaigua and Rochester. The survivors are four sons, Carl Dunham of Framingham, Mass.; Edgar A. Dunham of Frostproof, Fla.: George Dunham of Rochester, and Percy Dunham of Canandaigua; also one sister, Mrs. Chas. Smith of Rochester. The funeral services were held at the Manchester Baptist church Sunday afternoon at 2:30, conducted by the pastor, Rev. W. D. St. John. The interment was made in the Manchester cemetery.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 20 April 1939

Canandaigua, N. Y. -  J. Henry Dunham,
88, lifelong resident of Bristol, died in his home there yesterday. Surviving are the widow, Mrs. Alice Monks Dunham; one son, Harold L. Bristol; and a sister, Mrs. Frank Hulbert, Shortsville. Funeral services will be held at 1:30 p.m. tomorrow in the home and at 2:30 p.m. in the Bristol Universalist Church. Burial will be in Evergreen Cemetery, Baptist Hill.

From Ontario County Journal 23 July 1886

Seneca Castle, N. Y. -
The funeral of Mr. Reed Dunham, who died on Saturday last of consumption, was held on Monday afternoon at 4 o'clock at his father's home. Reedy was a great sufferer. The afflicted family have much sympathy from a large circle of friends.

From Geneva Gazette 3 October 1873

Mortuary -
On Monday last William Dunham of Geneva, a veteran of 82 years, passed from the scenes of the earth--suddenly at the last, but not unexpectedly to himself; for although endowed with sufficient health and strength to move among his fellow men up to within a day or two of his dissolution, yet he seemed conscious of the fast-ebbing tide, and has systematically set his house in order for the final event.  Mr. Dunham was a hard-working, honored mechanic, frugal in his habits, yet denying nothing that was necessary to the comfort of his family and education of his children.  He was a man of positive character and opinions, espousing principles from close study and observation -- never swerving from a policy that he believed to be right.  He was a sterling Democrat, and never failed, either at general or local elections, to deposit his ballot. Mr. Dunham has resided in Geneva about 50 years, reared a family of one son and four daughters who inherit the honored character of their departed sire.  He could truthfully boast that no fellow-man ever suffered wrong at his hands, and that he punctually discharged every earthly obligation.  Although surviving the age commonly allotted to man, yet we cannot but feel his loss as of an upright and honored citizen.

From a memorandum in the handwriting of deceased, found among his papers, we gather the following facts relating to his personal history:  He was born in Morris township, Morris Co., New Jersey, May 29th, 1792.  At the age of 21 he joined the Bloomfield Light Infantry, and went into the federal service in 1814 with his company which volunteered for the war, and was stationed at Sandy Hook.  At the close of the war he received an honorable discharge, certifying creditable service to himself and his country.  He was married to Mary Renwick Dec. 3d, 1816.

From Ontario County Journal 9 June 1916

Bristol, N. Y. -
The death of William Dunham, a native and excepting about three years spent in Canandaigua and Greigsville, a lifelong resident of this town, occurred at his home on Monday morning at 11 o'clock. He had been in poor health for several years and although able to be about, he had been in a serious condition for some time. Mr. Dunham was one of a family of nine children born to Mary Wood and Ephraim Dunham and was 71 years and 1 month of age and was the third to go from the large family, the youngest of whom is 59 years old. He married for his first wife Miss Nancy Childs, who died on June 4, 1887, leaving a daughter, Edna, now Mrs. Charles Warren. He married Miss Edith Burtram, who is loved as a mother by his daughter and who has cared for him through his illness aided the past few days by his grandson, Carl Warren. Besides his wife and daughter, he is survived by three grandchildren; and two brothers and four sisters, Carter Dunham of Plymouth, Mich., Henry of Bristol, Mrs. Daniel Taylor and Mrs. Lucina Case of Bristol, Mrs. Elizabeth Wood of Pittsford, and Mrs. Frank Hurlburt of Shortsville. Mr. Dunham was a carpenter by trade and excepting the three years had lived since his first marriage in the home where he died. He was a good neighbor and attended the Congregational church. The funeral was held from his late home on Thursday with burial in Evergreen cemetery at Baptist Hill. William Wheeler, of Holcomb, was funeral director.

From Geneva Gazette 6 February 1891

William H. Dunham,
died at his home, Seneca Castle, Jan. 31st, in the 70th year of his age.  The deceased was born in Johnstown, Montgomery Co.  At an early age his parents removed to Canton, Ohio; subsequently they returned to this state and settled at Chili, Monroe Co., where they resided for ten years, and then (in 1850) removed to Geneva.  A year or two later the subject of this notice married the only daughter of Nathan Reed 2d, who survives him.  They eventually settled on a farm near Seneca Castle P. O., where Mr. Dunham died.

We formed Mr. Dunham's acquaintance very soon after he first took up a residence in Geneva.  He was an ardent Democrat, an attentive reader and close observer of passing events in this stirring world, and an interesting conversationalist. Firmly grounded in principles, he could defend them with forceful argument.  Withal he was a good citizen in all that the term implies, a kind and sympathetic neighbor, and an exemplary Christian.

From Geneva Gazette 5 January 1894

Obituary -
We sorrowfully record the death of Mrs. Wm. H. Dunham of Seneca Castle, which occurred on the 29th ult. Deceased was a daughter of the late Nathan Reed 2d, and was born on the farm now owned by her nephew, Thos. C. Reed. Her only brother, Stephen C. Reed, died about three years ago.  In the relations of wife and mother, she was tenderly beloved; in those of a friend and neighbor, warmly esteemed and respected.  She leaves only one child -- a son and helpless invalid, who deserves universal sympathy over his great loss.

From Ontario County Times 11 June 1884

Bristol, N. Y. - 
Entered into rest on the evening of June 4th, the wife of Wm. W. Dunham, and daughter of James and Roena Child, aged 36 years, 10 months and 6 days. Mrs. Dunham had been a great sufferer for several years, her disease being pulmonary consumption. Funeral from the Universalist church on Friday afternoon last at 2 o'clock. Rev. S. M. Day of Richmond delivered the funeral discourse. A large number of relatives and friends followed her remains to their last resting place in Evergreen Cemetery in Bristol. She leaves one child, a little girl nine or ten years old, who with the husband have the sympathy of the community in which they live. 

From Ontario County Chronicle 1 April 1903

Mrs. Mary S. Dunkle,
widow of the late George Dunkle, died at her home in the town of Hopewell on Thursday, aged 89 years. Deceased is survived by her sister, Mrs. Parmelia Toast of Olean, and one brother, John C. Draper, of this village. Mrs. Dunkle's husband achieved some fame as the founder of the strange religious sect known as the Dunkleites, who were better known a quarter of a century ago, but which have as a sect practically passed out of existence.

From Geneva Daily Times March 1936

Mrs. Edith Dunlap,
wife of Howard Dunlap, died at the Sanitarium Thursday afternoon. She had been in poor health for several years. She is survived by her husband, two sons, Howard Dunlap and Ralph Murray, of Clifton Springs; one brother, Arthur Olderich, Nantucket, Mass., and a niece, Mildred Olderich of Boston. The funeral was held on Sunday afternoon, Rev. Stanley I. Stuber officiating. Burial was made in Clifton Springs Cemetery.

From Victor Herald 24 August 1895

John H. Dunlap,
a well-known resident of this village, died at his home last Saturday evening; he had been ill only a few days but medical skill and tender nursing were unable to stay the disease. Mr. Dunlap was born in Plainfield, N. J., Oct. 16th, 1828. He learned the trade of a carriage painter. He was twice married. In 1850 he married Sarah Vorris, who with eight children, survives him. In 1862, when the government was calling for troops, Mr. Dunlap enlisted in the 13th N. J. Vols. and served with the regiment till it was mustered out of the service in August 1865. The regiment saw a deal of hard service at Chancelorville, Antietam and on Sherman's famous march to the sea. Mr. Dunlap always took a great interest in all Grand Army matters and was a faithful observer of Memorial Day. Since he came to Victor he has followed his occupation and was considered a good workman and an upright citizen. He was converted under the ministry of Rev. Mr. Benham and received into the Methodist church in Sept., 1877. His surviving children are Mrs. A. Densmon of Penn Yan; Chas. Dunlap of Bloomfield; Mrs. Jas. Wiley of Rochester; Mrs. Geo. Keisel, Albert, Samuel and William Dunlap of Victor; and George Dunlap of Pensacola, Fla.

The funeral was held from the M. E. church on Monday, the services were conducted by his pastor, Rev. Mr. Hudnutt, and attended by a large number of his friends and acquaintances. The floral offerings were bountiful and tastefully arranged by loving hands. The interment was at Boughton Hill cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 23 November 1904

Mrs. Ann Dunn,
seventy-nine years old, died shortly after noon yesterday from heart failure at the home of P. J. Patterson, No. 167 Main street. The deceased was born in Kings county Ireland, and came to this country and city fifty-four years ago. The deceased is survived by three granddaughters and one grandson, all of Shortsville. The funeral will be held tomorrow morning at St. Francis de Sales church at 9 o'clock. Burial St. Patrick's Cemetery.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 4 June 1917

Geneva, June 3 - Mrs. Catherine R. Dunn,
widow of Thomas Dunn, died this morning at the family home, No. 61 Geneva street. Mrs. Dunn was 68 years old and for a number of years had been a resident of this city. She is survived by one son, William; and one grandchild and two great-grandchildren. The funeral will be held Tuesday morning at St. Francis de Sales Church and burial will be in Washington street cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 13 June 1905

Mrs. Euphemia Dunn,
sixty-nine years of age, died at 4 o'clock this morning at the home of her granddaughter, Mrs. William Duck, No. 162 Main street. The deceased was born near Cazenovia, but has resided in this vicinity for the past seven years. She is survived by one daughter, Mrs. Helen Goodfellow, of this city, and two sons, Harland Hills, of Manlius, and Charles Hills, of Kendaia. The funeral will take place at 11 o'clock Thursday morning from the house, Rev. W. W. Weller, pastor of the First Presbyterian church, officiating. Burial will be in Glenwood cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 28 December 1883

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - Mrs. James Dunn
died Sunday morning of consumption, aged 60 years. Funeral services were held at St. Bridget's church Tuesday at 10 a.m.

From Ontario County Journal 18 February 1887

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - Mr. James Dunn, who has been ill for some time with consumption, died last Saturday morning. The funeral services were held at St. Bridget's church Monday, at 10 a.m. and were largely attended by relatives and friends. The members of the East Bloomfield cornet band, of which he was a member, attending in a body.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 18 December 1938

Shortsville, N. Y. -  Mrs. Katherine Dunn,
88, died in the home of her daughter, Mrs. Darius Deiter, 46 Savannah St., Rochester, Friday. She was a member of St. Dominic's Church of Shortsville. She is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Darius Deiter of Rochester, Mrs. Aaron France of Clifton Springs; one brother, Michael Keleher of Shortsville; five grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. Funeral services will be held in the home of her daughter, Mrs. France, in Clifton Springs, at 9 a.m. tomorrow and 9:30 in St. Dominic's Church, Shortsville. The Rev. J. J. Napier will officiate. Burial will be in St. Agnes Cemetery, Clifton Springs.

From Geneva Daily Times 6 October 1902

Lawrence Dunn,
a truck farmer who lived near Phelps and was well-known in this city, was killed at Phelps about 8 o'clock this morning in a runaway.  He was 75 years old and had been a resident of Phelps township for many years.  He is survived by his widow and one daughter.  Mr. Dunn had been hauling cabbage to the sauerkraut factory in Phelps in a wagon drawn by one horse.  He arrived in the vicinity of the railroad crossing about 8 o'clock and stopped to wait until a switching train had passed. Mr. Dunn alighted from the vehicle.  The horse became frightened at the moving cars and started to run.  Mr. Dunn ran, caught the animal by the bridle and tried to stop it.  The animal continued to run, while Mr. Dunn clung to the bridle.  After running about 100 feet, the horse turned towards a sidewalk and forced Mr. Dunn against a tree.  Mr. Dunn's ribs on the right side were crushed and his right arm was broken. He died with a few minutes.  Coroner H. D. Weyburn, of this city, was summoned by telephone.  He made an investigation and rendered a verdict of death from internal injuries.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 8 April 1924

Canandaigua, N. Y., Apr. 7 - Mrs. Mary Dunn,
68 years old, died at her home in Gorham street last evening. Mrs. Dunn had resided here for many years. She is survived by a son, John Dunn, a patrolman on the Canandaigua police force; and by two sisters, Mrs. John Needham and Mrs. Margaret Kelly, both of this city. Funeral services will be held from St. Mary's church at 10 o'clock on Wednesday morning. Burial in Calvary cemetery.

From Geneva Courier 14 February 1877

Our quiet community was startled on Monday morning last by the announcement of (the death) of one of our oldest and best known citizens.  To those who had seen him only a few days previous in the perfect enjoyment of health and happiness, this sad news comes with peculiar force, while to those companions of his, who are nearly the same age as he, again comes the solemn warning that slowly but surely one by one they are passing away to that country from whose bourne no traveler returns.  Thomas Dunn was born in Whitehaven, Cumberland county, England, September 24th, 1807, and was therefore at the time of his death in his seventieth year.  He remained in England until 1840 when he emigrated to Canada, and there worked at his trade for several years, then tiring of the Dominion, he came to this country and after working in Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Cincinnati, he finally settled in Geneva in 1850, and entered the employ of Messrs. Buckley & Bennett, where he remained until the firm ceased business.  He then entered into business for himself and from that time he succeeded by his industry and thrift in establishing an extensive furniture business and gained the entire confidence of this community.  His death will be a serious loss to our village, and the place left vacant, it will be difficult to fill.  He leaves surviving him a wife, son and daughter, and one brother residing in Canada and one in England.  His funeral occurred this (Wednesday) afternoon at three o'clock from the family residence on Castle street.

From Geneva Advertiser 31 December 1914

The funeral of Thomas Dunn, who died at the city hospital last Thursday morning, was held from his late residence, No. 61 Geneva street, Sunday afternoon, Rev. H. L. Holmes officiating and burial was made in Washington street cemetery. Mr. Dunn was for many years in the furniture business in this city, succeeding his father, the late Thomas Dunn. Associated with him was Jas. P. Hill, for many years this firm did a thriving business. After some years Mr. Dunn withdrew from the firm and opened up another furniture house on Exchange street, where now is located the Scanlon store. This did not prove to be a success financially and he closed the business out. Of late years, Mr. Dunn has been employed at the Standard Optical Co. "Tom" Dunn, as he was familiarly known, when in business, had a large circle of friends. He was genial, and best of all enjoyed the confidence of all who had business relations with him. He is survived by his wife and one son.

From Penn Yan Democrat 7 January 1934

In Rushville, December 10, William H. Dunn, 67. Mr. Dunn was born in the town of Milo and moved to Rushville from the town of Jerusalem about a year ago. He is survived by two sons, Nelson Dunn of Gorham, and Homer Dunn of Rushville; two brothers, Barney Dunn of Hall, and Frank Dunn of Florida; and one sister, Mrs. Margaret Lee of Penn Yan. The funeral services were held on Wednesday afternoon, Rev. K. M. Haight, pastor of the Rushville M. E. Church, officiating. Burial in Gorham cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 11 December 1874

Sudden Death -
A very sudden death occurred at Mr. John Decker's blacksmith shop in this village last Monday afternoon. John Dunphy, an employee in the shop, had just finished settling some shoes on a horse, when he fell heavily to the floor. Mr. Decker went to his assistance at once and raised him from the floor, when he gasped once or twice and was dead.  Dr. Doty was on the spot almost instantly, but could give no help.  Heart disease was assigned as the cause of the sudden death. Though he had been in Mr. Decker's employ some four or five years, he had never before shown any symptoms of heart disease.  He leaves a wife and grown-up daughter.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 24 May 1931

Geneva, N. Y. -
In the annual Memorial Day parade this year, a familiar figure in the Civil War veterans section will be missing as a result of the death this morning of David S. Dunsmoor, 84, who succumbed to an attack of pneumonia at his home, 326 William street. The passing of Mr. Dunsmoor reduces the ranks of Geneva veterans to six, one of whom is ill at present. Mr. Dunsmoor enlisted Jan. 2, 1865 and was discharged March 15, 1865. Following this he joined the 45th Separate Company at Cortland, and served with this unit until Sept. 26, 1892, when he was discharged with the rank of captain. He is a member of Swift Post, G. A. R. of this city, and the oldest member of Masonic Lodge 550 of Hannibal. He leaves two sons, Burt C. Dunsmoor of Geneva; Harry A. Dunsmoor of Syracuse; and three grandchildren. Funeral at the home Tuesday at 2:30 o'clock. Burial in Glenwood Cemetery with military honors.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 24 December 1934

Naples, N. Y., Dec. 23 - Albert W. Dunton,
79, veteran Naples merchant and next-to-last survivor of the famous Sutton Band of a half century ago, died suddenly at the dinner table in her home in Main street here today. He was known throughout the state as a band musician. Mr. Dunton's death left only Charles H. Lyon of North Bloomfield of the original Sutton Band members still alive. Recognized as an accomplished bandsman for many years, Mr. Dunton could play most of the instruments in the band, the clarinet, trombone, trumpet, and many others. After the Sutton Band broke up he led his own Naples band for many years. He also played in orchestras throughout this section and for a time played with an orchestra in theater work on the road.

A partner for a time with D. J. Doughty in the grocery business here, Mr. Dunton later had a grocery store of his own. Of recent years he had conducted a gasoline filling station in front of his home. Surviving are his wife, with whom he was eating when he suddenly was stricken, and to whom he was married more than 50 years ago; and two daughters, Mrs. W. H. Vanderhoof of Clifton Springs and Miss Gladys Dunton at home.

From Geneva Daily Times 23 January 1934

Rushville, N. Y. -  Mrs. Carmen Dunton,
aged 41 years, died Saturday morning at Memorial Hospital, Canandaigua, where she was taken last Thursday with a complication of kidney and liver troubles. She had been in poor health for several weeks but not confined to her bed, and her death came as a shock to her family and friends. Mrs. Dunton was the younger daughter of Byron and Della Harris Soules. She was born at Grand Rapids, Mich., but came east with her parents when she was a small child, and after residing for a few years at Geneva, the family came to Rushville about 30 years ago, where she has since resided. Twenty-three years ago last November she married Spencer Dunton, who survives her. She also leaves one daughter, Mrs. Geraldine Detro; one son, Lester Dunton, both of Rushville; and one grandson. Her only other near relative is a cousin, Mrs. Bernice Macomber of Honeoye. The funeral services were held from the Hobart funeral home Monday afternoon, Rev. K. W. Haight, pastor of Rushville Methodist church, officiating. Burial was made at Rushville Cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 20 April 1909

Naples, N. Y. - Charles Dunton
died Sunday at his home on the lake road, aged 68 years.

From Ontario County Times 20 August 1884

Naples, N. Y. - Elsie A.,
wife of Wm. Dunton, died at her home in this village on Sunday, August 10, aged sixty-two years. Mrs. Dunton's death was not unexpected as she had been ailing for a long time. She was married to Mr. Dunton forty-two years ago, and had during that time faithfully performed the duties of wife and mother. She had for many years been a consistent member of the M. E. church, and was always found at the post of duty when health permitted.

From Ontario County Journal 4 March 1881

Naples, N. Y. - Mrs. Fanny Dunton,
widow of John Dunton and mother of Lemuel Dunton, of Canandaigua, died after a lingering illness on Saturday evening, Feb. 26, at the age of 75. She was a dear old lady, having a vast multitude of friends, the mother of 13 children, of whom all but two are living. The funeral was on Wednesday morning, Rev. Mr. Millard officiating, and the remains were buried in the old church yard beside her husband. She has gone to her reward.

From Ontario County Journal 20 May 1898

On Sunday, at Rochester, occurred the death of Mrs. Harriet E. Dunton of this place. Deceased was aged 60 years. Besides her husband, Lemuel M. Dunton of Missouri, surviving relatives are two sons, Harry L. Dunton of this place, and George Dunton of Langford, N. D.; four brothers, A. A. Culver of Momence, Ill., Wm. Culver of Dakota, Frank Culver of Romeo, Mich., and Sylvanus Culver of Detroit, Mich.; a sister, Mrs. William H. Pierce of Naples; a niece, Mrs. Sanford W. Abbey of Richmond; and a nephew, Frank E. Pierce of this place.

From Ontario County Journal 4 May 1883

Naples, N. Y. - Luman H. Dunton
died on Saturday, April 21. For many weeks his life had been despaired of by his friends. He was taken in the midst of his usefulness, being the leading Justice in town, a practical surveyor and an insurance agent. For some time he was the regular correspondent of the Journal from this town. Mr. Dunton had many friends, who are saddened at his early death. He was 36 years old, and leaves a family of little children and a young wife, who have the sympathies of everyone. The funeral services were held in the Methodist church on Monday afternoon, and largely attended, the places of business being closed during the progress of the services.

From Ontario County Journal 25 June 1897

Naples, N. Y. -
On Sunday, occurred the death of  William Dunton, who had been living for 12 years with his daughter, Mrs. C. Leonard Lewis. He had retired from active business, though still in possession of some of the numerous farms which he had operated in this vicinity. For two years his health had been failing. His wife was Miss Elsie Hatch, and the relatives in Ontario and Yates counties are very numerous. He left one son, A. W. Dunton of this town; and one daughter, Mrs. Lewis. He was 76 years of age.

Return to Ontario County Homepage

Copyright © 2004-14, Ontario County NYGenWeb and each contributor and author of materials herein. All rights reserved.

Updated 21 October 2014