"Cru" to "Cz" Obituaries

From Geneva Daily Times 3 October 1922

The death of Mrs. Caroline S. Crutchfield, aged 71 years, wife of Kellis Crutchfield of 30 Madison street occurred this afternoon at the Geneva City Hospital about 1:30 o'clock after an illness of three months. Besides her husband, she leaves a nephew, Frederick Kenney of this city. Burial Washington Street Cemetery

From the Ontario Repository & Messenger 15 August 1866

Fatal Accident -
An old man, aged 78 years, named George Cruthers, a resident of the town of Seneca, was instantly killed on the Northern Central Railway, between Hopewell and Gorham stations, last Wednesday morning. The circumstances are as follows: Mr. C. was going to a neighbor's to get him to cut a piece of wheat, and took the railroad track, that being the shortest route. A freight train having just passed, he supposed the track all clear, and had but just got on, when the passenger train which was following to pass the freight at Gorham came along. He saw the train approaching and turned as if to get off the track, but is is supposed was taken with a fit, to which he was subject, and fell. The cow catcher first struck him and there was nothing left after the train had passed over, but a mangled and horrid looking mass of human flesh and bones.

From Geneva Gazette 20 September 1895

Suicide of a Genevan at Rochester -
On the 11th inst. a man known by his companion of the night previous as "James Carter", threw himself from the Court street bridge at Rochester.  Falling upon the rocks below he sustained such injuries that death followed in a few hours.  The facts were ascertained that he had recently arrived from Geneva, and that only a short time previously he had been discharged from the regular army after a service of 12 or 13 years.  These facts led Genevans to the conclusion that the suicide was Joseph Cruthers.  It was known to a few of his intimate acquaintances that for reasons best known to himself, the ill-fated man long ago assumed the name of James Carter, the initials of which, corresponding with his real name, were borne upon his arm in inerasible India ink.  Parties who went up to Rochester to view the body at once identified it as that of Joe Cruthers.

Since coming out of the army, Joe had been drinking to excess. According to the statement of his companion of that fatal day, he was destitute of money and had not the wherewithal to satiate his inordinate appetite, and while skirmishing around to raise a little money to satisfy his companion's craving that the latter ended his earthly troubles in the manner stated. Cruthers was aged about 45 years.  His mother survives, residing on Madison street, but she was on a visit to a daughter in New York when her always beloved son took his own life.  Temporary interment of the body was made in Rochester. We presume it will be soon disinterred and brought to Geneva for final burial in the family plot.  

P. S.  The body was brought here for interment, the funeral taking place last Tuesday forenoon.

From Geneva Daily Times 10 December 1908

The death of Ansel Cuddeback, aged 49 years, a lifelong resident of Oaks Corners, occurred last night. He had been ill about two weeks. Surviving relatives are three sisters, Mrs. Loren Mason of Geneva, Mrs. George Corwin and Mrs. Frank Cole of Phelps; and five brothers, John of Pittsford, George of Phelps and William of Rochester.

From Geneva Gazette 1 March 1895

Wm. T. Cudderback,
a well-known farmer of northern Phelps, died on the 24th ult. of paralysis.  He enjoyed good health until about three weeks ago when he experienced the first shock of paralysis, from which he only partially recovered when attacked the second time with fatal result.  His age was about 64 years, and he leaves a widow, one son and one daughter.

From Ontario County Journal 12 March 1909

Mrs. Bridget Cuddihy,
widow of Patrick Cuddihy, died at the home of her son, John Cuddihy, West Gibson street, yesterday morning, aged 80 years. Six months ago Mrs. Cuddihy suffered a stroke of apoplexy and since that time has been helpless. For 22 years she had been a resident of this village, coming here from Ireland to be with her brother, Rev. Dennis English. For 15 years she was his housekeeper and was known to all the congregation of St. Mary's for her deeds of kindness and charity. After the death of Father English, she went to reside with her son. Her husband died 40 years ago. Besides her son, she leaves one daughter, Mrs. John Taylor, of this village, and 11 grandchildren and one brother, John Cuddihy, who lives in Ireland. The funeral will be held from St. Mary's church tomorrow morning.

From Geneva Daily Times 12 February 1907

Canandaigua, N. Y. - James Cuddihy, formerly of Canandaigua, died at Buffalo, Saturday evening. His remains are to be brought here for interment. He was about 48 years old, and survivors are his wife, who was formerly Miss Tuohey of Canandaigua, and five children; also a brother, John Cuddihy and a sister, Mrs. John A. Taylor, of this place. Deceased was a nephew of the late Dennis English of this place.

From Ontario County Journal 31 May 1878

Bristol, N. Y. - Ezekiel Cudworth,
one of the oldest citizens of this town, died on Saturday, the 18th inst., aged 72 years. His funeral was attended in the Universalist church, on Tuesday of last week, Rev. J. F. Gates officiating.

From Ontario County Journal 13 May 1885

On Tuesday evening about 6 o'clock, John D. Cudworth, a resident of the town of Bristol, left Canandaigua in an intoxicated condition. Wednesday morning his body was found about three miles from town, near the residence of Thompson Sutherland, frozen stiff. The story of his battle with the terrible cold of that night was written by his footprints in the snow. Near where he fell tracks were seen leading to the fence by the roadside. Along this fence they led for a short distance, and on the other side led back again past where he had turned in. It was evident that the unfortunate man, dazed, probably, by cold and the liquor he had drank, had walked along by the fence for a time and had then climbed it and come back on the other side. One boot came off in some manner during this struggle and lay in the path.

From Ontario County Journal 8 March 1895

Shortsville, N. Y. -
Another of Shortsville's old residents, Mrs. Mary E. Cuer, died at her home on Main street on Friday of last week. For more than 20 years she has been a resident of this village. Her husband, James J. Cuer, died about seven years ago. They were among the charter members of the Methodist society in this place. She died at the advanced age of 75 years. The funeral was held on Sunday afternoon from the residence, where a large number of neighbors and relatives gathered to pay their last tribute of respect. Rev. E. J. Lavis conducted the services. She leaves four children, Edward Cuer, the Misses Ella and Ophelia Cuer, and Mrs. Nettie Kipp.

From Ontario County Journal 22 February 1895

At his home on Parrish street last Monday occurred the death of Richard Cullen, a well-known citizen, he having been a carpenter in this village some 30 years. He was born in County Wicklow, Ireland, March 3, 1817, and removed to Canandaigua in June, 1852. Besides a widow, there survive him a son, William, and two daughters, Lizzie and Esther.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 27 December 1905

Mrs. Jane Cullinane
died at her home in Tillotson street Friday night, aged 70 years. She is survived by several sons and daughters and one sister who lives in East Aurora.

From Geneva Daily Times 15 May 1905

Canandaigua, N. Y. - Timothy Cullinane,
aged about forty years, a well-known local character, was literally ground to pieces beneath the eastbound Rochester & Eastern train leaving this station at 1:50 o'clock yesterday afternoon. When the wheels, trucks and motors had finished their awful work, there was not enough of Cullinane left to establish his identity as a human being. The accident was witnessed by a number of people and all tell the same story and identify the victim as Cullinane. The train, composed of two cars, was in charge of Conductor Stephen Melching and Motorman McKahn. It had stopped at Bristol street and was just getting up speed when Cullinane, without signal to the motorman, dashed out from the west side of the street and attempted to board either the rear platform of the front car or the front platform of the rear car. He missed the handles and plunged between the cars. The motors and trucks of these cars are only a few inches above the ground and for a distance of 100 feet, Cullinane's body was rolled beneath the heavy motors, hacked by the steel trucks and slashed by the wheels. It is a singular coincidence that Cullinane's brother, John, was murdered in 1890 on the sidewalk directly opposite the point where Timothy attempted to catch the car, and he breathed his last in his home, just opposite where the mangled body was today removed from the track. Cullinane was released on April 6 from state prison at Auburn, where he had served three years. His mother, one sister and two brothers survive.

From Victor Herald 2 June 1899

West Bloomfield, N. Y. - Adin E. Culver,
one of the oldest and most respected citizens of this town, died at the residence of his son, two miles east of this village, on Saturday evening, after a lingering illness, aged 72 years. He leaves a wife and one son, E. D. Culver. The funeral will be held on Tuesday afternoon. Burial at Ionia.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 5 June 1907

Manchester, N. Y. -  Mrs. Alvita Culver,
aged 76 years, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. William Tilden of Manchester, Tuesday morning, May 28. She was born in Genesee county. She was the widow of Alexander H. Culver, whose death occurred in Pontiac, Michigan, 25 years ago. Besides her daughter with whom she lived, she is survived by two brothers.

From Ontario Republican Times 12 February 1862

Died in the Alexandria Hospital, on the 4th of February, of typhoid fever, George W. Culver, son of Daniel Culver of Farmington, and private in Capt. Henry Faurot's company, 18th Regt. N. Y. S. V., aged 22 years. George W. Culver was a young man of excellent promise, and a son of a patriot of the war of 1812. He enlisted as a soldier among the first who stepped forward in defense of our country's flag. In the battle of Bull Run, he exhibited the courage of a true soldier, rushing unflinchingly where dangers were thickest and where the storm of battle raged fiercest. He was an ever ready volunteer in all the dangerous enterprises incident to a soldier's life, and when amidst their surrounding terrors, he endured the risks of death with an unflinching spirit. His manly worth, his moral courage and his patriotic enthusiasm and fortitude endeared him to all of his associates, and by his strict attention to duty, by his prompt obedience to orders and his ready acquiescence in the wishes of his superiors, he won the respect and esteem of all the officers of his regiment. His companions in arms will long remember his cheerfulness and honesty that were so beautifully blended with courage as to render him a model soldier and an exemplary patriot; and while we who note that another of the defenders of our country's constitution has passed away, let us drop a tear to his honor, memory and worth.

From Victor Herald 28 October 1904

West Bloomfield, N. Y. - Mrs. Jane Culver,
aged 75 years, died at the home of her son, Edward Culver, two miles east of the village, Thursday, after a short illness of pneumonia. Funeral services were held Saturday afternoon. Burial took place at Ionia.

From Geneva Daily Times 16 September 1907

John P. Culver,
aged 65 years, died at his residence, No. 76 Sherrill street, at 4:30 o'clock this morning. Cause of death was acute peritonitis. He had been ill but twenty-four hours. Mr. Culver was an employee of the Herendeen Manufacturing Company and a member of the Union Veterans' Union. He was a veteran of the Civil War and a member of Company G, 126th Regiment under command of Col. Sherrill, served in the middle department, later in the 3d brigade, 3d Div. 2d Corps, and participated in the following engagements and sieges at Harper's Ferry, Gettysburg, Mine Run, Wilderness, Spottsylvania, North End, Cold Harbor, Petersburg, Weldon R. R., Ream's Station, Petersburg's Works, the fall of Petersburg, Farmville and Appomattox. On June 3, 1865, he was honorably discharged at Washington, D. C. He is survived by his widow, two sons, Fred J. Culver and Frank of this city; two daughters, Mrs. Jennie Baker of Penn Yan and Mrs. H. M. Bermer of Hammondsport; two brothers, Fred and Vincent Culver of Penn Yan; and two sisters, Mrs. Hiram Cole and Mrs. Julia Eggleston of Penn Yan. The funeral will be held tomorrow afternoon at 2:30 o'clock from St. Peter's Episcopal church. Rev. J. B. Hubbs, D. D., rector, will officiate and interment will be made in Glenwood Cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 14 November 1890

Died at the residence of Alonzo Sage, Millers Corners, N. Y., on November 7th, Mrs. Rachel Culver, aged 85 years. Deceased was born in Berlin, Rensselaer Co., N. Y. She leaves to mourn her loss one brother and one sister. Funeral services were held at the house of Mr. Sage on Saturday, R. M. Connal officiating.

From Geneva Daily Times 16 July 1906

Richard Culver, aged 64 years, died this morning at 11:30 o'clock of typhoid fever, at his home on Bradford St. He is survived by his wife, two sons, Richard and George, and one daughter, Emily, all of this city. The funeral announcement will be made later.

From Geneva Daily Times 5 July 1910

John Cumming,
aged 56 years, died this afternoon at his home on Washington street. The funeral will be held at the First Presbyterian church chapel Thursday afternoon at 6 o'clock. Burial in Glenwood Cemetery. Mr. Cumming is survived by his widow, three sons, Wm. J., James A., and Albert H. Cumming; also two daughters, Jennie and Sarah A. Cumming, all of Geneva.

From Ontario County Journal 13 January 1911

Bristol, N. Y. -
Died, at her home near Vincent on Sunday morning, Mrs. Frank Cummings, aged 47 years. She had been a sufferer from cancer for a long time. Besides her husband, she leaves two sons, Stephen and William; two brothers, William and Daniel Davenport of Canandaigua; two sisters, Mrs. DeGraff of Honeoye and Mrs. Richard Jerome of Bristol. The funeral was held from her home on Wednesday, Rev. J. A. Briddon officiating. Interment was in Woodlawn, Canandaigua.

From Ontario County Journal 3 November 1893

Naples, N. Y. - Mrs. Kersia Wiley Cummings,
wife of the late Orlando Cummings, died of gastric fever on Sunday afternoon. She had been ill but a short time. Her age was 66 years. Three children, Martha, Mary and Charles, survive her. The funeral was held from her late residence on Wednesday morning, the Rev. B. F. Millard officiating. The burial was in Fair View cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 12 May 1899

Naples, N. Y. - Mrs. Mary Charlotte Cummings,
wife of Alonzo Cummings, died, after many years of ill health, on Sunday last, aged 54 years. She leaves, besides her husband, an adopted son, Charles, two brothers, Harmon Bills of Academy, and Eli Bills of Rochester; also two sisters, Mrs. Frank Porter and Mrs. Lucy Robinson of Naples. Two brothers of Mr. Cummings, James and Jesse, of Canandaigua, were present at the funeral.

From Shortsville Enterprise 10 May 1912

The angel of death visited the home of Michael Cummings in Manchester village last week and struck down both husband and wife within two days. Mrs. Cummings died on Thursday evening at 8 o'clock, following a stroke of paralysis. Mr. Cummings was summoned to the great beyond the following Saturday morning at 5:30 o'clock, after an illness of two weeks from a general breaking down of the system. The deceased were born in County Cork, Ireland. Mr. Cummings on February 9, 1827, and Mrs. Cummings on Sept. 16, 1840. The former came to this country in a sailing vessel during the year of 1852, being 42 days on the ocean. Mrs. Cummings was a daughter of the late Michael and Ellen Powers, of Farmington, and came to America with her parents when 12 years of age. They were married about 55 years ago, and had lived in Manchester for many years. He had been an employee of the Lehigh Valley railroad. Their daughter, Mrs. Fred Bloomfield, and her husband were killed by being struck by a New York Central passenger train while driving over a crossing in Clifton Springs about eight years ago. With the death of both Mr. and Mrs. Cummings, this makes the second double funeral to be held in this family. They are survived by five daughters, Mrs. Michael Welsh and Mrs. John Moran of Honeoye Falls; Mrs. Luther Rice and Mrs. M. L. Callahan, of Shortsville, and Mrs. E.. N. Doyle of Manchester; three sons, John Cummings of Shortsville, Edward Cummings of Manchester and Dennis Cummings of Rochester; also 18 grandchildren and one great-grandchild. Mr. Cummings leaves one sister, Mrs. Johanna Slater, of Paddlefords, and Mrs. Cummings had one sister, Mrs. Mary Ryan of Rochester. A double funeral service was held from the family home in So. Main street, Manchester, at 9 o'clock on Monday morning, followed by a service at St. Dominic's church in this village at 9:30 o'clock. The burials were made in Calvary cemetery at Canandaigua.

From Ontario County Journal 22 August 1890

Naples, N. Y. - Orlondo L. Cummings, a native and lifelong resident of Naples, died on Thursday, Aug. 14, aged 63 years. Mr. Cummings was a farmer and spent his life on the same well-known farm at foot of Main street. His death was unlooked for and is a great calamity to his family of wife and three children. He was a kind man and an upright citizen.

From Ontario County Journal 8 December 1882

Victor, N. Y. -
The death of Mr. James Cummins, son of Michael Cummins, occurred one day last week. The funeral was held from the Catholic church on Monday. The burial took place at Macedon.

From Geneva Daily Times 8 August 1904

Mrs. Margaret Cunningham,
aged seventy-two years, died at 7:30 o'clock yesterday morning at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Francis X. Huch, No. 159 North street. The deceased had resided in the city two years. Besides her daughter in Geneva, she is survived by a daughter in Rochester, Mrs. T. H. Washburn, and two sons, J. W. Cunningham, of Brockport, and William F. Cunningham of Buffalo. The body was taken on the 3:38 o'clock train this afternoon to Brockport where the funeral will take place tomorrow morning.

From Ontario County Journal 29 March 1895

Thomas Cunningham
died at Academy last Sunday of paralysis. He was a veteran and pensioner of the late war, and a member of company C, 50th N. Y. engineers. His funeral was held Monday, and was attended by members of Albert M. Murray post, of which organization he was at one time a member. He was 71 years of age.

From Ontario County Journal 2 February 1877

Mrs. Thomas Cunningham,
of this village, while at Shortsville on Tuesday, dropped dead -- probably from heart disease. She was an unusually large and fleshy woman, and it was found necessary to make her coffin to order -- our dealers having none large enough to receive her body.  Mrs. C. was injured by the cars a year or more ago, and recovered a verdict of $1500 from the railroad company.

From Geneva Daily Times 22 January 1907

Canandaigua, N. Y. - The remains of Bernard Curran, the bridge worker, who lost his life in the fire which destroyed two boarding cars on the West Shore Railroad near Pittsburgh on Sunday morning, were brought here yesterday afternoon and interred in Calvary cemetery. Curran was 42 years of age and was unmarried. Three brothers survive, William and James of this village, and Robert.

From Victor Herald 4 May 1906

Mrs. Bridget Curran
died at her home in Canandaigua on Sunday at the advanced age of ninety-six years. Four children survive her, Mrs. Charles Quigley and Mrs. Henry Quigley of this town; and two sons who live in Canandaigua.

From Ontario County Chronicle 10 July 1901

Mrs. Catherine Curran, a well-known resident of this village, died at her home on Wednesday night, aged 83 years. The funeral was held from St. Mary's Church Friday morning. She is survived by four sons, James, Barney, Robert and William, all of Canandaigua, and two daughters, Mrs. Margaret McAleeve of Nobleston, Pa., and Mrs. Katherine Moriarity of Cleveland, Ohio.

From Shortsville Enterprise 7 March 1913

The death of Mrs. Hannah D. Hosey, wife of John M. Curran, occurred at her home in the township of Farmington last week Thursday afternoon at two o'clock, following an illness of several months. Her age was 47 years. Her entire life had been spent in Farmington. Besides her husband, she leaves two daughters, Olive H. and Margaret Curran; five aunts, Miss E. A. Dailor, Miss Mary Dailor, Miss Margaret Bulger, Mrs. Ella Cahill, all of Farmington, and Mrs. Luke Doyle of Wayneport. The funeral services were held from the Catholic church at Macedon on Saturday morning, the rector, Rev. Father Holmes, officiating. The interment was made in the Catholic cemetery at Macedon.

From Geneva Daily Times 23 January 1904

James Curran
of the town of Seneca died at 11 o'clock last night at his home near Flint Creek, aged sixty-nine. He is survived by his widow, two sons, Thomas and Edward Curran of this city, and one daughter, Miss Mary Curran, also of this city.

From Geneva Gazette 30 July 1886

Jimmie Curran,
aged twelve years, and a son of James Curran of Canandaigua, was drowned in Canandaigua Lake on Thursday of last week, while on a picnic excursion to Seneca Point.  The lad was a good swimmer, but for some reason while in deep water he suddenly threw up his hands and disappeared.  When the body was recovered life was extinct.

From Ontario County Journal 18 June 1897

West Bloomfield, N. Y. - 
The funeral of Mrs. Mary Curran was held on Monday morning from St. Rose's church, Lima. Deceased was 82 years old and leaves three sons, Dennis, James and William, all of this place.

From Ontario County Times 9 June 1869

An Irishman, by the name of Rhody Curran, living in the town of West Bloomfield, half a mile west of the village, was killed in a frightful manner on Wednesday last, while working for the widow Gray, in the town of Lima. He was engaged in plowing; the lines of his horses were too long, and he tied them around his body. On turning a corner the lines got caught in the whiffletrees, which rubbed against the horses' heels; they started to run, drawing Mr. Curran against the plow and over it, and dragging him some five or six rods. He managed to disentangle himself, but his injuries were so severe that he died the next day. Mr. Curran was a steady, industrious man, and had many friends. He leaves a family in comfortable circumstances.

From Geneva Daily Times 18 August 1905

Thomas J. Curran
died this afternoon at 3 o'clock at the family residence, No. 52 High street, aged 31 years, after a long and painful illness. Mr. Curran had been confined to his bed for the past three years and had been all that time a great sufferer, though he had endured his sufferings with great patience. Mr. Curran used to be a well-known and popular clerk in the dry goods stores and was also a conductor on the local street cars. He was of a kind and cheerful disposition and had many friends  who will be pained to hear of his death yet glad that he can now suffer no more. The deceased is survived by his mother, Mrs. James Curran, and brother, Edward Curran. His father died about two years ago.

From Ontario County Journal 3 November 1893

Mrs. Eugene Currie
died at her home, No. 9 Bristol street, Canandaigua, Monday night, of typhoid fever. Mrs. Currie's maiden name was Cora C. Johnson. She married Frank Fish, and was brought into unpleasant notoriety when Fish killed John Cullinane in this village, and was sent to Auburn prison to serve a twelve years' sentence for it. In September she was married to Eugene Currie at Reed's Corners by the Rev. Mr. Miles of Gorham. The funeral was held Wednesday, the Rev. Dr. France officiating. The burial was in Woodlawn.

From Ontario County Journal 8 March 1895

Mrs. Jane Curry,
who has been cook in the family of Hon. E. M. Morse for many years, died at her home on Washington street, Wednesday, aged 80 years. She leaves a daughter, Sarah, of this village, and a son living in Seneca Falls. After services at St. Mary's church this morning, the remains will be taken to Seneca Falls for burial.

From Ontario County Chronicle 10 April 1901

Ziba C. Curtice died at his home in Gibson street, last Thursday evening, aged 48 years. The deceased had underwent a surgical operation for the relief of gall stones. Last May Mr. Curtice purchased the undertaking business of O. N. Crane in Canandaigua, and removed with his family from Victor. He was a man of pleasing manner and rapidly gained wide acceptance. He is survived by a widow, three daughters, Misses Lola L. Marion, and Helen Curtice, and a son, W. Townsend Curtice. The funeral was held from the family residence on Monday, and was attended by a large number of his former neighbors in Victor. The interment was in Woodlawn.

From Geneva Daily Times 14 May 1912

Naples, N. Y. -
The death of Mrs. Adelaide Griswold Curtis occurred at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Fanny Peck, in Washington, D. C. Sunday after an illness lasting nine years. She was born in Naples November 1841, one of six children of Alfred and Mary Griswold. She attended school in Auburn, where she met and married, at the age of 19, Charles Curtis. For many years Auburn was their home. Mrs. Curtis leaves, besides her daughter, one son, Edgar Curtis of Chicago; and four grandchildren, one of whom, George Peck, is secretary to Congressman Sereno E. Payne. Mrs. Curtis was a member of the First Presbyterian church of Naples, and the pastor, Dr. J. H. France, will officiate at the funeral this afternoon at the Griswold homestead in Elizabeth street. The burial will be in Rose Ridge cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 8 June 1894

Naples, N. Y. - David Curtis
of West Hollow, South Bristol, was buried on Wednesday at Rose Ridge Cemetery. He was 87 years of age, and died at the home of his son, Frank B. Curtis.

From Geneva Daily Times 28 December 1907

Naples, N. Y. -
Thursday at 4 p.m. occurred the death of David O. Curtis, at his home in West Hollow, in this town. His death was surprisingly sudden. He came into the house from chopping in the woods, passed through into his bedroom, complained of his head and in a few minutes was dead. He had suffered somewhat from a spinal disease. Mr. Curtis was born her 36 years ago, and was a son of the late David O. Curtis. He leaves a wife, two children and one brother, Truman Curtis of Naples.

From Geneva Daily Times 6 May 1904

Mrs. E. B. Curtis,
seventy-six years old, died suddenly after a stroke of apoplexy, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. William T. Rolph, at No. 125 Main street this morning at 9 o'clock. She had not been sick previous to the attack and was out walking yesterday afternoon apparently as well as ever. This morning she arose and dressed and nothing unusual was noticed, until her daughter heard her breathing heavily in the next room and upon investigating, found her unconscious. She remained in this condition until death. Everything was done to relieve her but the efforts were of no avail. Mrs. Curtis was born in Stratford, Conn. and had been a resident here for about nine months. She is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Rolph and Mrs. M. S. Camp, of Upper Montclair, N. J., and one sister who resides at Ithaca. The funeral arrangements will be announced later.

From Geneva Daily Times 20 January 1905

Mrs. Eliza Ward Curtis,
seventy-five years old, wife of George Curtis, died yesterday at her home in Cheshire. She was a lifelong resident of Cheshire, and was a daughter of Rev. Moses Ward, formerly a minister at that place. She is survived by her husband, George Curtis, a son, Wellington Curtis, two daughters, Mrs. Margaret Blackman and Mrs. John Johnson, and a brother, Chester Ward, all of Canandaigua. Mrs. Curtis' death was unexpected.

From Ontario County Journal 3 May 1889

Bristol, N. Y. - Dr. Elmer C. Curtis,
late of Honeoye, died very suddenly of peritonitis at his home in Rochester on Thursday evening, April 23d, at midnight, aged 28 years. Dr. Curtis was the youngest son of the late Samuel Curtis of Honeoye. Four years ago he graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York, and soon after went to Rochester where he practiced his profession. He was a successful physician and left many warm personal friends who mourn his early death. A special meeting of the Monroe County Medical Society was called and a series of resolutions were passed that were published in the city papers. The remains were brought to Honeoye on Thursday and the funeral services held from the Congregational church Friday at 2 p.m., Rev. S. M. Day officiating. Five physicians came from Rochester and who acted in conjunction with Dr. Wilbur of Honeoye as pall bearers. Many others of the medical profession were present. There are left the mother, one brother and four sisters of his immediate relatives.

From Geneva Gazette 8 March 1889

While two brothers, Byron Curtis and H. P. Curtis, of South Bristol, were fooling with a revolver at their home on Tuesday evening, the weapon was discharged, the ball lodging in the latter's head and killing him almost instantly.  The revolver was believed to be unloaded, and was therefore handled in a very careless manner.

From Geneva Daily Times 4 April 1905

Canandaigua, N. Y. -
The funeral of Mrs. Hattie Carpenter Curtis, wife of John I. Curtis of Cheshire in Canandaigua town, who died Sunday at her home, from consumption, was held today at 1 o'clock in Cheshire. Mrs. Curtis was a lovable woman with many friends, and she had been a patient sufferer for several years. Besides her husband, she leaves one daughter, Mary. Mrs. Curtis' death took place on her thirty-eighth birthday.

From Ontario County Journal 14 September 1910

Richmond, N. Y. -
On Jan. 6, at the home of his brother in the western part of the town, occurred the death of Rev. Isaac H. Curtis after an illness of 10 days from pneumonia. He was one of a family of 10 children and was born in the town of Richmond 68 years ago. He was a Baptist minister, was educated at Auburn and Rochester, and was graduated from a seminary in Pennsylvania. He was a member of the Baptist church at South Livonia, and was for some years pastor of that church. A strange coincidence is the fact that 46 years ago at the age of 68 years his father died and 10 years ago at 68 years his brother, John Curtis, died. He is survived by these brothers and sisters: Mrs. Mary E. Tripp of Auburn; Edwin Curtis of Livonia; Legrand, with whom he lived; and Charles and Mrs. Emma Hicks of Richmond. The funeral was held from the home of Legrand Curtis on Saturday. Rev. Dr. A. C. Dill officiating. Owing to a particularly sad occurrence the sermon was very brief. The brother's wife, Mrs. Legrand Curtis, died during the services from the same disease, pneumonia. Interment was in Lakeview.

From Ontario County Journal 14 January 1910

Richmond, N. Y. -
On Saturday, at her home in this town, occurred the death of Mrs. Martha Curtis, wife of Legrand Curtis. She was born in Williamstown, Mass., 68 years ago, oldest of six children. She was married on Christmas day, 1879, to Legrand Curtis of Richmond, which town has since been her home. She was a woman of a beautiful Christian character and thoroughly domestic tastes. Hers being a childless home, she devoted herself to the care of the invalid brother of the family, whose home had been there so many years, and whose death and her own occurred so near together. Funeral services were conducted from her late home, Rev. Dr. A. C. Dill officiating. The remains were taken to her former home at Williamstown, Mass. 

From Ontario County Journal 10 September 1909

Cheshire, N. Y. - Mrs. Mary Doolittle Curtis,
wife of Melvin Curtis, passed away on Saturday evening, after a lingering and painful illness, in the 71st year of her age. The whole of her long life had been spent in this place, where she was greatly respected and loved. She was the last remaining member of the large family of Edward and Sarah Doolittle, who were among the earliest settlers of the place. Mrs. Curtis was of a conscientious, kindly and sympathetic nature, to whom no one in trouble ever appealed in vain. The aged husband has left to him one daughter, Mrs. Edward Wickham, and two sons, Orville, of Canandaigua, and Arthur of Cheshire. The funeral services were held from the home on Monday afternoon and were conducted by Rev. J. B. Ebersole. Burial was in Pine Bank cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 17 December 1909

Melvin Curtis,
one of the best known and respected residents of Cheshire, died suddenly at his home on Monday afternoon. Mr. Curtis had suffered from attacks of heart trouble for some time. He was born in Warsaw, Vt., 75 years ago, coming to this place with his parents, Valorus and Hannah Curtis, when only two years old. He has since resided here. His marriage to Mary Doolittle took place in 1857, whom he survived but a brief time. He was the youngest of four brothers and only one remains, John Curtis. He leaves one daughter, Mrs. Edward Wickham, and two sons, Orville and Arthur of Rochester, two grandsons, Carlton Curtis and and Glen Wickham, of this place. Services were held from the house on Thursday at one o'clock conducted by Rev. Scott Ebersole.

From Ontario County Journal 24 May 1889

Cheshire, N. Y. - Spencer L. Curtis, a long sufferer from that dread disease, consumption, passed away from earthly scenes at two o'clock Sunday morning, May 19th, in the 29th year of his age. The deceased, who was a universal favorite in this village, was the oldest son of Melvin and Mary Curtis. About six months ago the disease had made such ravages upon his system that he was compelled to abandon his business. Since that time he has been gradually declining and suffered a great deal, but the end when it came was peaceful and painless. He leaves a wife and one child, a father and mother, two brothers and one sister and a large circle of other relatives to mourn his loss. Funeral services were held here in the church Tuesday at two o'clock p.m., Rev. J. M. Langworthy conducting the services. The remains were laid at rest in the Cheshire cemetery.

From Geneva Advertiser 4 March 1902

Mrs. Thomas Curtis
died at her home on Castle street last Wednesday afternoon after two strokes of paralysis, not recovering consciousness after the first stroke the day before.  She was aged 57 years.  Mr. Curtis had just completed a nice front to his home, and the family was prepared to enjoy their later years when this terrible stroke came and ended all.  She was born in Yorkshire, England.  She is survived by her husband, four sons and one married daughter.

From Geneva Daily Times 26 February 1902

Mrs. Thomas Curtis
died at 1 o'clock this afternoon, at her home, 287 Castle street, aged 51 years.  Mrs. Curtis, who was found yesterday unconscious, never regained consciousness.  Death was caused by paralysis, superinduced by Bright's disease. The deceased had resided in Geneva 15 years.  Besides a husband, she is survived by five sons, Thomas, of New York, George of Columbus, Ohio, Alfred, Leland and Albert of this city, and by two daughters, Mrs. Lillian Pierce, of Canandaigua, and Miss Harriet Curtis, of Penn Yan.  The funeral arrangements are not yet completed.

From Ontario County Journal 13 April 1883

Cheshire, N. Y. -
The funeral of Valorus Curtis was held from the church on Monday last. He was one of the octogenarians of the place. The past winter has been a very trying one for the elderly people, but we hope settled weather will improve all.

From Geneva Advertiser 7 November 1893

A Mysterious Death - William Curtis
and Andrew Rogers were engaged in digging a well on the Weidman place, near the new optical works, up to last Saturday morning, and had sunk the well to the depth of about ten feet.  Saturday morning Curtis was in the well filling the buckets while Rogers was doing the hoisting.  Rogers passed into the house for something, and when he returned heard Curtis groaning.  Summoning help the man was brought to the surface where he gasped once or twice and died in Rogers' arms.  The body was taken to Borgman's undertaking rooms where a post mortem was held and afterwards taken to the home of Lewis Fisher on Dorchester Avenue.  Considerable water about the heart was found.  A wife and one child survive him, beside his father, mother, brothers and sisters.  His wife and child have been in England for about two years, and his mother sailed from New York last Saturday, the day Curtis died.

From Geneva Daily Times 1 February 1905

Isaac Cushing,
eighty-two years of age, died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. John W. Bowker, corner of Madison and Courtland streets, at an early hour this morning. Deceased had lived in this city for about two years, coming from Milford, Mass. Rev. George C. Bauer will conduct a short funeral service at the house at 4:30 o'clock tomorrow afternoon, after which the remains will be taken to Salem, Mass., and buried in Greenlawn cemetery. Six members of the Geneva commandery, Knights Templar, will act as bearers from the house to the train.

From Geneva Gazette 2 July 1880

On Monday last, Mrs. Gertrude Cuthbert died after a short illness, at the advanced age of eighty-five years. She was the relict of Robert Barnwell Cuthbert, M. D., originally of Beaufort, S. C., and afterwards of New York city. Something more than twenty-five years since the Doctor removed to Geneva, attracted by the beauty and climate of the region. For various reasons he became ardently attached, from the outset, to St. Peter's Mission in this village, and when that movement resulted in the organization of a parish, he was elected its first warden. He was greatly interested in the erection of the Memorial Church, to which, during his lifetime, he was unable to contribute on account of the smallness of his means. But his cherished intention of being ultimately represented in it, we have no doubt has been carried out, as he wished, at his widow's death. Since her husband's death, Mrs. Cuthbert's affection for St. Peter's parish and delight in its prosperity have been a great source to her of comfort and of happiness. During this period she had been cared for with every Christian tenderness by the Church and Rector, who regarded her in the light of a special charge. After she was seventy-five, by her own needle and industry she earned a hundred dollars for the tower fund of the church. Her funeral was attended by many mourning friends. The wardens of St. Peter's parish were among the bearers, and her much-esteemed friend, the Rev. Dr. VanRensselaer, assisted the Rector in the services at the church. It was a sad and remarkable feature of the funeral that not a single relative of herself or of her husband followed her to the grave. On her side not one is left, and none but very remote ones of her husband are now living. She was alone in the world, as regards relatives by blood, but she was not alone as regards the relations by higher and holier ties. Many friends will miss her, and will ever remember her for her kind and generous traits of character by which she was endeared to them.

Return to Ontario County Homepage

Copyright © 2006-10, Ontario County NYGenWeb and each contributor and author of materials herein. All rights reserved.
Updated 12 July 2010