"Cra" through "Cri" OBITUARIES

From Geneva Gazette 16 March 1894

Hattie E. Craig,
a respectable colored girl of Clifton Springs, died March 11 of hemorrhage of the brain, aged 18 years. Miss Craig is the young lady who was shot by a rejected suitor in Pennsylvania two weeks ago.  She was brought home and was thought to be improving, the wound in the head having healed.  Early Sunday morning she called for a drink of water and asked her father to hold her head, as it pained her fearfully.  He complied but the girl grew worse rapidly and soon died.

From Ontario County Times 6 December 1876

Shortsville, N. Y. - Mr. Chester Crain,
long familiarly known to the citizens of this village as "Uncle Chet," died last Friday morning. He had nearly reached the advanced age of 90 years -- lacking but five days. The funeral was held today, Monday, from the residence of his son, John Crain. He was buried at the Shortsville cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 23 August 1895

Shortsville, N. Y. -
The death of John Crain occurred at his home on Wednesday at the advanced age of 71 years. Death was due to heart disease. He had been a resident of this town for over 40 years and leaves a widow and one son. The funeral services were held at the house on Friday afternoon, Rev. C. H. Lester officiating. Interment was in the new cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 22 May 1891

Shortsville, N. Y. - Mr. Manley Crain,
who has been sick for the past two or three weeks with dropsy, died at an early hour Thursday morning. The funeral services were held at his late residence at three o'clock Sunday afternoon. The remains were interred in the new cemetery. Mr. Crain's age was nearly 80 years, the greater part of them spent in this village.

From Geneva Daily Times 24 July 1908

Shortsville, N. Y. - Mrs. Wilhemina Crain,
widow of the late John Crain, died at her late home just outside of the corporation on West Main street at 7 a.m. yesterday of paralysis of the brain, in the 87th year of her age. Mrs. Crain had been a widow ten years. Her only daughter, Mrs. Otis Kellogg, died 27 years ago and her only son, Everette Crain, died soon after his father's death. Mrs. Everette Crain and their son, Byron M. Crain, are the survivors of her immediate family and they live in Rochester. Two nieces live in California. The funeral will take place tomorrow at 3:30 p.m. from her late residence. Interment will be in Brookside Cemetery in the family lot.

From Ontario County Times 7 April 1886

Mrs. Ambrose Crandall
died recently at the home of her daughter in Quincy, Ill. She was the mother of George Crandall for whose murder at Oaks Corners Charles Eighmy was convicted and executed in this village a few years ago. The remains were brought to Geneva for burial.

From Geneva Courier 19 March 1879

Death of Ambrose Crandall - Mr. Ambrose Crandall,  a well known citizen of Geneva died on Sunday, after a protracted illness.  Mr. Crandall was a considerable character in his way, and will be long and pleasantly remembered for his good nature and many eccentricities.  He several times held office as constable, deputy sheriff, and health officer, and was more than once an unsuccessful candidate for office.  He was a shoemaker by trade but combined with his business horse doctoring and trading, and a variety of other pursuits.  He was a good story teller, and a man of great humor and good feeling.

From Geneva Gazette 14 March 1879

We announced in our last the alarming illness of Ambrose Crandall.  He was stricken with paralysis.  On Friday last he was unconscious and it hardly seemed that he would survive through the day.  He, however, lingered along without much apparent change until Sunday, when death closed the scene.  The deceased was well-known, and, from his genuine humor and native wit, became a favorite in all social circles in which he moved.  For several years he was elected constable of the old town of Seneca, and discharged his duties faithfully.  He was quite skilled and successful as a veterinarian.  He leaves a widow and one child - the latter Mrs. Crawford, of Illinois, who arrived just before his death.  His oldest son, Geo. L. Crandall, was the victim of a murder for the commission of which Chas. Eighmy was hung in 1876.  That tragedy seriously affected the father mentally and physically.  The funeral of Mr. Crandall was largely attended last Tuesday, there being especially a good representation of elderly men.  Rev. Mr. Kenyon officiated in exhortation and prayer, and a male quartette sang two appropriate hymns.

From Geneva Daily Times 7 March 1902

Ebenezer Crandall
died at his residence, two miles north of this city on the Dove farm at 5:30 o'clock yesterday afternoon, aged 54 years.  The cause of death was pneumonia.  The deceased is survived by a wife and three children, two sons and a daughter.  The funeral arrangements are not yet completed.  Burial Glenwood Cemetery.

From Geneva Gazette 3 December 1886

Eleazer Crandall
of Phelps died at his residence, near Oaks Corners, on the 30th ult.  He was a brother of the late Ambrose Crandall, and was well known to many Genevans.  His funeral took place yesterday, Rev. Dr. Rankine officiating.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 4 July 1906

Mrs. George A. Crandall
died Saturday evening at 10 o'clock following an operation for appendicitis and a complication of troubles. She had been ill for the past six weeks and her condition was more serious than was expected. Mrs. Crandall was 43 years of age and is survived by her husband and one daughter, Lena, aged 8 years. The funeral was held from the home in Prospect street yesterday afternoon at 2 o'clock, Rev. J. S. Ebersole officiating. Interment was made in Woodlawn.

From The Hamilton News, Hamilton, Steuben County, Indiana, Friday Morning, March 28, 1913;

-   Mrs. Harriett Crandall, daughter of Aaron and Cyrena Esty, was born June 1st, 1825, in Ontario County, N.Y., and departed this life March 19, 1913, at Hamilton, Ind., aged 87 years, 9 months and 18 days. She was one of a family of nine children, three of whom are still living; two brothers, William Esty, in Illinois, and Elvin, in Wisconsin, and the sister, Mrs. Arzilia Stirdivant, who also resides in Wisconsin.  Mrs. Crandall moved from New York to Richfield, Ohio when she was a young woman and about this time united with the Methodist Episcopal church and remained a member of this church for nearly 70 years, except a few years when she was a member of the United Brethren church at Pleasant Lake.

In 1844 she was united in marriage to  W. A. Crandall.  They moved to Steuben county, Ind., in 1854 and settled in Otsego township.  To them were born three daughters and one son. The husband and father died in 1871, and the son, George Crandall, in 1886, and one daughter, Mrs. Hariett Bennett, passed away in 1910. Two daughters, Mrs. John Griffith, of Hamilton, Ind, and Mrs. Emma Wilcox of Perry, N.Y., five grandchildren, nine great-grandchildren, two brothers and a sister, together with a large circle of relatives and friends mourn her departure.

 Mrs. Crandall has lived to see this community transformed from a wilderness to a beautiful and well cultivated country. She came from a family noted for their piety and industry. During her long life, whether in sorrow or joy, in trial or in the full enjoyment of life she always found time for prayer, reading the Bible and worship. Jesus Christ was so real to her and the church such a comfort that she would make any sacrifice to prove her undying love for them. She was a dear mother and a true friend.  Her precious life will be a bright memory in the lives of her dear ones. Earth has lost one of its noble souls but heaven's portals have swung open to admit her into the presence of the dear Lord Jesus whom she most devoutly loved and served while here below.

The funeral services were held from the M. E. church at Hamilton, Ind., March 22, 1913, conducted by her pastor, Rev. J. O. Campbell, and the body laid away in the Hamilton cemetery.

Kindly submitted by Margaret Crandall.  She would welcome contact with anyone who has an interest in this family.

From Ontario County Journal 28 September 1894

On Sunday night last, at Masonville, Delaware county, occurred the death of Horatio N. Crandall, in the 84th year of his age. Beside a widow, Mr. Crandall left three sons, Fred D. and William D., of this village, Corydon E. of Muncie, Ind., and one daughter, Miss Corinl Crandall of Masonville. The burial took place Tuesday afternoon at Miller Corners.

From Geneva Daily Times 25 September 1906

Canandaigua, N. Y. - Sunday night at his home in the northern part of the village occurred the death of John Harvey Crandall, aged 74 years. There survive two daughters, Mrs. Robert Bissett of Canandaigua, and Mrs. William Travis of Belding, Mich.

From Geneva Daily Times 23 March 1907

Naples, N. Y. - Mrs. Sarah M. Crandall died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. W. S. Johnson, Thursday night, at the age of 70 years. Within a year she had experienced four distinct paralytic shocks, the last affecting the brain. Mrs. Crandall was on of the large family of Levi Johnson, a sturdy early settler of the town. She married Charles C. Crandall, who enlisted in Company D, One Hundred and Twenty-sixth New York Volunteers, and was killed at Gettysburg on Cemetery Hill. The widow leaves besides this daughter, one son, George of Naples; two brothers, B. and Daniel Johnson and three sisters, Mrs. P. Keefe of Naples, and Mrs. Henry Whitmore and Mrs. W. A. Cornish of South Bristol.

From Geneva Daily Times 5 July 1910

Mrs. Violet Crandall,
of Reed street, aged 94 years, died Sunday at the home of her daughter, Mrs. T. C. Reed, at 6 o'clock. The funeral was held at 2 o'clock this afternoon with burial at Phelps.

From Ontario County Journal 3 June 1910

Canandaiguans were shocked on Monday afternoon to learn of the death of Will D. Crandall, a former business man and widely known and respected citizen, who passed away suddenly at his home on Main street north from apoplexy. Drs. Jewett and Armstrong were summoned by Mrs. Crandall, but the heart flicker had ceased within a few minutes, and before their arrival. Will D. Crandall was born at Ionia on March 10, 1847, the son of Horatio N. and Melissa M. Wood Crandall. He graduated from East Bloomfield public school and later from Lima seminary. In 1865 he came to this village and learned the photographic art with H. M. Finley & Son, remaining in their employ for about 14 years. He then for two years was engaged in the photograph business at Jamestown. Returning to Canandaigua in 1881, he purchased an interest in the Finley galleries and the firm name became Finley & Crandall. This partnership continued two years, when Mr. Crandall and his brother, Fred D. Crandall, opened the Crandall studio in the Hubbell block, continuing in business together for 20 years. Mr. Crandall retired to engage in the real estate business, in which he was interested at the time of his death. In 1887 he was united in marriage with Miss Julia Johnson, daughter of the late John L. Johnson of Cheshire. Besides his wife, deceased is survived by one sister, Mrs. Rush Crandall of Masonville, Delaware county; two brothers, C. E. Crandall of Newport, Wash., and Fred D. Crandall of this village. Mr. Crandall was a member of the Business Men's club. In politics he was a Democrat and had served as village trustee. Funeral services were held at the home on Wednesday afternoon and burial was in Woodlawn. Rev. Guy L. Morrill of the Presbyterian church officiated.

From Geneva Gazette 7 June 1889

Oaks Corners people were horrified last Friday morning by the report that Mr. Will. Crandall had been killed by the cars at Phelps the night before.  Thursday evening he went to Geneva on the 6:00 p.m. train, intending to return on the 10:17.  It is thought by some that he boarded the 9:00 o'clock freight, and that not stopping here he went on to Phelps.  He was found by trainmen at 11:00 p.m. lying beside the track -- dead.  The result of the Coroner's inquest is not known to us.  A large concourse of people attended the funeral services which were held at his late residence last Sunday p.m.  A great deal of sympathy is felt for the bereaved wife, left so desolate, with two small children to care for.

Same paper, next page: In the case of Wm. E. Crandall found dead near the Phelps depot Thursday night, there is a rumor of foul play.  The character of the wounds on the head would indicate that death was caused by some blunt instrument, and not from being thrown from the cars.

From Victor Herald 18 January 1901

Bristol, N. Y. - Mrs. Crane
, aged ninety-three years, died last Monday, at the home of her son, Joseph Plattan. Mrs. Crane was the oldest residence of the time. Her death was not unexpected as she had been ill for a long time. The funeral took place from the house at ten o'clock Wednesday morning. Interment at Allens Hill, Rev. Newton W. Bates officiating.

From Ontario County Journal 12 January 1894

Phelps, N. Y. - Mrs. C. Crane,
one of the most highly esteemed residents of this place, died about 6 o'clock last Wednesday evening, aged 70 years. The deceased had been in failing health for a long time. Her husband, Carso Crane, died about ten years ago. She was a consistent member of the Presbyterian church.

From Geneva Daily Times 21 December 1895

The remains of Clifford E. Crane, who died of congestion of the brain after a week's illness, were brought to Geneva this morning from Shippensburg, Pa., for burial in Glenwood. The wife, son and brother of the deceased accompanied the remains, and were met at the station by sympathizing friends. Rev. Dr. Rankine officiated at the grave.

From Ontario County Journal 3 October 1890

Academy, N. Y. - Mrs. Sarah Crane, who died recently at this place, was the widow of George Crane, and youngest daughter of the late John R. Martin, who came to this place from Dutchess County in 1832. Mrs. Crane leaves two daughters to mourn her loss. One brother and one sister survive her of a family of six brothers and five sisters.

From Ontario County Journal 18 October 1878

Canadice, N. Y. -
Died at his residence in this town, on Tuesday evening, September 24th, Jacob Cratsley, aged 57 years. He leaves a large circle of mourning friends who have the sincere sympathy of all. May they be enabled to trust in Him who doeth all things well.

From Ontario County Journal 21 July 1882

Canadice, N. Y. - Mrs. Cratsley,
widow of Jacob Cratsley, died on the 14th inst. She had been in feeble health for many years, and her trouble culminated in disease of the heart. Her funeral was held at the church on Sunday, the Rev. Mr. Jolly officiating.

From Geneva Daily Times 2 September 1905

John H. Craugh,
39 years of age, a cigar maker residing at No. 6 Elm street, died suddenly last night at 5 o'clock at his home. The deceased was taken sick on Thursday and in the evening Dr. C. D. McCarthy was called. After examining the patient he pronounced him suffering from acute heart trouble. Yesterday the man was slightly improved, but death occurred last night. The deceased was born in Penn Yan and came to this city six years ago. He is survived by his widow; two sons, Frank and Harold Craugh; two sisters, Mrs. Otis McKinney of Penn Yan, and Mrs. John Arnold of Canisteo; a father of Penn Yan, and a half-brother of Chicago. The funeral will take place at 3:30 o'clock tomorrow afternoon from the house, after which the body will be taken to Penn Yan on the 4:33 o'clock train. Burial will be in Penn Yan Monday morning.

From Geneva Daily Times 29 June 1909

Hattie Craver,
aged 43 years, died at 4:40 o'clock this morning at her late home at 34 Park avenue. She is survived by her husband, Norman Craver, and three sons, Thadd, of Rochester, and Lloyd and Edward of this city.

From Geneva Gazette 15 August 1879

Mrs. Ira Crawford, residing near Naples, committed suicide by hanging on the 7th inst. She became insane from long-continued ill health.

From Geneva Gazette 23 September 1887

The funeral of Jacob Creager took place on Sunday last, and the remains were buried in a little family plot on the Jacob Ringer farm set apart as a cemetery and very near the farm where he was born and where he had lived all his life long--82 years.  A singular circumstance is told about this departed and esteemed octogenarian, evidencing his attachment to home and home life, : viz. that he never went farther east than Waterloo, farther west than Rochester, farther south than Penn Yan and farther north than Sodus.  Thus his ocular knowledge of the whole world was limited to a circle of about 60 miles in diameter.  Who can say that he did not live and die as contented and happy as if he had been permitted to roam the wide world?  It is further said of him that he never borrowed money of any person but once in his life, when he secured a loan of a quarter one day to purchase an admission ticket to a circus he having forgotten to put any money in his pockets upon leaving home.  During the last years of the life of the deceased, he had the faithful and unremitting care of Mr. Joseph Probasco, who assumed the great burden in the spirit of the true Samaritan.

From Geneva Daily Times 8 March 1907

Miss Jane Creed, formerly of the town of Seneca, died yesterday at the home of her niece, Mrs. R. M. Swallow of Corning. The deceased was born in Rushville and later lived in Seneca. She is survived by one sister, Mrs. Alanson Wheadon of Corning and two brothers, J. P. Creed of South Bend, Indiana, and C. H. Creed of South Dakota. The remains will be brought here tomorrow and will be taken to Seneca, where they will be buried in the Number Nine Cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 9 December 1904

It has developed that Dennis Creedon, the insurance agent who shot himself in the head shortly after 11 o'clock yesterday morning, and who died at the City hospital at 3:40 in the afternoon, was mentally unbalanced at the time of the shooting. This fact has been attested to by his wife, who has noticed his peculiar actions for some time past, and by several of his friends who saw him on the street and in business places yesterday. Mrs. Creedon said today that her husband left the house yesterday morning before 7 o'clock. This was most unusual. He appeared to be in a hurry to leave and did not even wait to eat his breakfast. In answer to a question from his wife, he said he would be back for a cup of coffee about 8:30. He was about the city during the early morning hours and about 10 o'clock was seen in Border City. About thirty minutes later he was in a cafe on lower Exchange street and paid a bill he had owed there. His strange actions were notes. About 10:30 or a little afterwards he entered the hardware store of William Wilson and approaching Charles Woodcock, a clerk, he said he wanted to buy a cheap revolver with which to kill a cat. At the same time Frank Smith, a plumber in the employ of the firm, was going past the counter. He heard Creeden's remark and knowing that the man had been acting strangely for some time, he secretly informed Woodcock not to sell him the revolver. Smith gave no reason for advancing the advice, but Woodcock, thinking that something was wrong, showed Creedon a gun worth $5, remarking at the same time that it was a pretty expensive firearm with which to kill a cat. Smith then spoke up and asked Creedon why he didn't get some choloform from a drug store and exterminate the feline in an easier manner. Creedon said that he would, and left the store and turned south on Exchange street. Both Smith and Woodcock are positive that he had been drinking and that he was very nervous. There was an uneasy and strange look in his eyes and he appeared to be laboring under great distress. According to the men he had every appearance of being mentally unbalanced.

After leaving Wilson's, Creedon went to Dorchester & Rose's hardware store. He waited for some minutes before finding a clerk who was not busy, and spent the time talking with an employe of the Empire Coke company, whose name is unknown to the clerks at the store. Finally Melvin Gaylord, head clerk, was at liberty, and Creedon approached him, slapped him on the shoulder and in a friendly and jovial manner said he wanted a cheap revolver with which to kill a cat. Gaylord showed him a $3 gun and he purchased it. He also asked for some cartridges and was given five, enough to fill the chambers of the cylinder. Putting the gun in his pocket, he left the place and turned south on Exchange street. James T. Taney, a clerk in Dorchester & Rose's, saw Creedon in the store at the time he purchased the revolver, but did not notice anything wrong or strange about him. Gaylord said he thought the man had been drinking slightly, as he detected an odor of intoxicants. It is thought that he left the store and went directly to the lake front, where he shot himself.

Mrs. Creedon said this morning that several times during the past seven years her husband has acted strangely. When he failed in business seven years ago he apparently lost his courage for he was always brooding over his troubles. Many times he remarked that he had the blues and his wife did her best to cheer him up. Of late he had been acting very strangely. Last summer he disappeared from home for a time and when he returned gave no explanation whatever. He grew very forgetful during the past month and repeatedly forgot to make collections for the insurance company for which he worked. Mrs. Creedon says that Mr. Lyons, the assistant superintendent of the Metropolitan company, told her that he had noticed Creedon acting strangely of late and that he did not know how to account for it. Mr. Lyons also told her that it was evident that Creedon did not make all of his collections during the week and that the deficiency between the amount found on his person after he shot himself ($25) and the amount he ought to have turned in ($70) will be accounted for in this way. Mrs. Creedon, her friends and neighbors and the brothers and sisters of the dead man are positive that his brooding over his business failure caused him to lose his mind.

Coroner H. D. Weyburn took charge of the body at the hospital yesterday afternoon, and ordered it removed to the man's late residence at No. 117 Castle street. Last night at 8:30 o'clock an autopsy was performed at the house. Dr. C. C. Lytle did the operating. The other physicians present were Drs. Young, Knickerbocker, Jay Covert and Coroner Weyburn. It was found that the bullet, a 32 calibre one, had entered the head at the right side, just above the ear and had taken a downward course penetrating the brain. It lodged on the extreme left side. Coroner Weyburn announced today that he will hold an inquest Monday afternoon.

The funeral of Mr. Creedon will take place Monday morning at an hour to be announced later. The deceased was born in Ireland and came to this country and city when he was about twelve years of age. He is survived by his widow, five children, Daniel, Isabell, Mary, William, and Rosalind; three sisters, Mrs. Julia Desmond, Miss Ellen Creedon of this city and Margaret Creedon of New York, and one brother, Cornelius Creedon of this city. The deceased was a member of the Maccabees and carried insurance in that order as well as in several old line companies. About six weeks ago he took out a policy for $1000 in the Metropolitan company, for which he worked.

From Geneva Daily Times 19 November 1910

James Creighton
of 21 Jay street, died this morning at 6 o'clock at his home. He is survived by three sons, James, John and Thomas Creighton; and four daughters, Miss Alicia Creighton, Mrs. Charles Pendall, Mrs. George Glanville and Mrs. James Reynolds. The funeral will take place Monday afternoon at 3 o'clock from Trinity church. Rev. C. M. Sills, D. D., the rector, will officiate. Interment in Glenwood.

From Geneva Daily Times 12 January 1907

Mrs. James Creighton,
seventy-nine years of age, was found dead in bed this morning at 5 o'clock at her home, No. 21 Jay street. She went to bed last night in her usual health, but when the family arose this morning, she was dead. Coroner A. L. Buchholz was notified. He went to the house and after inquiring into the circumstances of the death granted a burial certificate of death from heart disease. The deceased had lived in this city for the past forty years. Besides her husband, she is survived by three sons, Thomas, John and James Creighton, four daughters, Miss Alicia Creighton, Mrs. Glanville, Mrs. Pendle and Mrs. Reynolds.

From Geneva Daily Times 20 May 1905

Miss Jennie H. Creighton,
twenty eight years of age, died at 7:30 o'clock this morning at her home, No. 21 Jay street. The deceased has lived her entire life in this city, with the exception of the last year which she has spent at Saranac Lake to recover her health. She is survived by her father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. James Creighton, one brother and two sisters. The sisters are Miss Alice Creighton and Mrs. Charles Pendall of Rochester.

From Geneva Daily Times 7 October 1922

The death of Mrs. Annette B. Creque, widow of John B. Creque, occurred early last evening at the residence of C. C. Davison, 67 Hamilton street. She had not been in good health for a long time, but her critical illness was only of a few day's duration. She is survived by two sons and two daughters, Emerson Creque, of Rochester, Edward Creque of Dover Plains, N. Y., Miss Mary R. Creque of Pittsburgh, Pa., and Mrs. C. C. Davison, of this city, with whom she had made her home for many years. The funeral will be held Monday morning at 9 o'clock and the remains will be taken to Trumansburg for interment.

From Ontario County Journal 20 October 1899

Naples, N. Y. -
The funeral of Mrs. Eleanor Francis Cribb was held on Tuesday morning at the home of her daughter, Mrs. H. E. Johnson. Mrs. Cribb died on Sunday at the home of her son, Supervisor Ira P. Cribb in Canandaigua, with whom she was temporarily staying. She was 78 years of age. Her girlhood home was spent in Prattsburgh, but after her marriage with Joseph P. Cribb, she lived in South Bristol for forty years, since which time her home had been in Naples. She was the sister of the late Hon. John M. Francis, of Troy, and his son, Charles, was present at the funeral. Her husband died four years ago. She leaves three sons, Frank R. of Lima; Charles of Belding; Ira P. of Canandaigua; and two daughters, Mrs. Johnson of Naples, and Mrs. Parsons, wife of Rev. James Parsons of Buffalo. Rev. J. W. Webb, of the Methodist church, Canandaigua, officiated at the funeral, assisted by her late pastor, Rev. J. A. Smith. Mrs. Cribb was universally esteemed.

From Ontario County Journal 5 February 1897

Naples, N. Y. -
The funeral of the late Mrs. Eliza Knapp Cribb, wife of Frank R. Cribb, was held here on Tuesday afternoon. The Methodist church was crowded with sympathizing friends, anxious to pay tribute to the memory of this charming and devout Christian woman. She died on Friday, at their temporary home at Silver Lake, having left Naples in 1895 for that place, Mr. Cribb having been appointed superintendent of the Assembly grounds. The remains were brought here on Monday. The funeral service was very impressive. Rev. Ward Plat of Monroe Avenue church, Rochester, a pastor here for four years, was chief speaker. Rev. J. A. Smith, the present pastor, and Rev. B. F. Millard, of the Presbyterian church, added their tributes of love, and Rev. Eugene Anthony assisted in the service. Col. Pond of Rochester, president of the Silver Lake Assembly, came all the way to show his great affection for the family and to tender his sympathy. Mrs. Cribb was 50 years of age. She leaves a husband, one daughter, and two sons; also a brother, Dr. L. F. Knapp of this place; and four married sisters, Mrs. Dutcher of Naples; Mrs. Wemett of Lakeville; Mary Ayers of Palmyra; and Mrs. Marks of Canandaigua.

From Ontario County Journal 19 January 1894

Naples, N. Y. -
Joseph P. Cribb was stricken with paralysis at 9 a.m., and died at 4 o'clock, Monday. Mr. Cribb was almost 78 years old, and yet strong and vigorous, and yet strong and vigorous, accustomed to work every day at hard work. He was one of the best men, viewed from every standpoint, in our midst. Whatever good thing might be said of him would find a response in every heart. He had lived in Naples and vicinity for 58 years, and was widely known. His birthplace was Tully, N. Y. He first came to Lent Hill, then to South Bristol, but for 15 years past he had lived in Naples. His wife, who survived him, was Miss Eleanor Francis, sister of Hon. John M. Francis of Troy. They had lived together 51 years. Five children are left: Nancy, wife of Rev. James Parsons of Providence; Sarah, wife of H. E. Johnson of Naples; Frank R. of Naples; Charles of Belding, Michigan, and Ira P., of Canandaigua. Two brothers, Henry and Chester, are dead. A half-sister, living in Dansville, survives him. Mr. Cribb became a Christian in 1841, and has since been an active and exemplary member of the Methodist church. The funeral was Thursday afternoon, and the burial in Rose Ridge.

From Geneva Courier 3 November 1875

Last Sunday afternoon a sad and fatal accident, which cast a gloom over many a family, occurred near Covel settlement, in the town of S. Bristol.  Mr. and Mrs. Ira P. Cribbs who resided on the lake road, in this town, had been to Naples, visiting relatives, during the day, and were returning home about dusk.  In descending a hill, some part of the harness gave away, and letting the thills drop, the horse suddenly started on a run.  Mr. Cribbs held on to the reins and was dragged out of the wagon and drawn quite a distance before he succeeded in stopping the animal.  He escaped, however, with only a few slight bruises.  The sudden stopping of the wagon threw Mrs. Cribbs out over the dashboard, to the ground.  In falling, she struck upon her head with force sufficient to break her neck, causing instant death.  Mrs. Cribbs was in her twenty-third year, an only daughter of Mr. Jonas W. Wolverton, a kind and devoted wife, and beloved by a large circle of friends and acquaintances.

From Ontario County Journal 10 November 1882

Naples, N. Y. - Mrs. Cornelia Crippen,
widow of the late Riley Crippen, died on Sunday morning, aged more than 77 years. Funeral services were held on Monday afternoon at the house, conducted by Rev. Mr. Stratton of the M. E. Church, in the absence of the pastor of the Baptist Church, of which the deceased was a worthy member.

From Ontario County Journal 8 January 1897

Naples, N. Y. - Milo Crippen,
a native of Naples, son of the late Riley Crippen, died on Tuesday night, aged 65 years. His home was at the south end of Cohocton street, where he had a good farm. He was an adherent of the Baptist church. He leaves a wife and two adult sons.

From Ontario County Journal 2 September 1881

Naples, N. Y. -
Death has not visited our town for some months, but on Sunday last one of our older residents was called up higher. Richard Crippen died August 28th, at the age of 76. He had lived in town some 60 years, and for 40 years on the farm where he died. He was a hard-working, prudent man, held in good repute by his neighbors. For the last few years he has been declining in health, and for some time has been unable to attend to any business. He leaves a wife to whom he was wedded more than 50 years ago and several children, who have faithfully and lovingly cared for him in these last years. The funeral on Tuesday was attended by Rev. S. T. Dean, a former pastor of the family, and he was taken to Rose Ridge for interment.

From Geneva Daily Times 24 June 1907

Phelps, N. Y. - The death of Mrs. A. B. Crittenden occurred yesterday noon at her home on Exchange street. Mrs. Crittenden had been an invalid for the past five years, the result of paralysis. Heart disease was the immediate cause of her death. She was born in the town of Stafford, this state, but at an early age moved to the town of Phelps and had lived here the entire period of her long life. She was eighty years of age and is survived by her aged husband; two sons, W. H. Crittenden of Canandaigua, Chauncey M. Crittenden of Flint Creek, N. Y.; and two daughters, Mrs. E. E. Smith of Phelps and Miss Lottie Crittenden, who resides at home. The funeral will be held at 2 o'clock Wednesday afternoon and interment will be in the Phelps cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 5 February 1897

Phelps, N. Y. - Alfred R. Crittenden,
a prominent citizen and farmer of this town, died of kidney trouble last week Wednesday afternoon, aged 72 years. The deceased had been in poor health for some time. A wife and one son survive. The funeral services were held last Saturday afternoon from the residence, Rev. A. J. Waugh officiating. Burial was made in the Phelps cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 10 September 1909

Phelps, N. Y. - Alonzo B. Crittenden,
aged 87 years, died at noon Thursday at his home on Exchange street. He had been ill since Monday when he was stricken with apoplexy. Mr. Crittenden was born near Geneva and had spent practically his entire long life in the town of Phelps. For forty-one years he conducted a farm at Melvin Hill from which he retired three years ago and came here to live. His wife died two years ago. Mr. Crittenden leaves two daughters, Mrs. E. E. Smith of Melvin Hill, and Miss Lottie Crittenden, with whom he lived, and two sons, William H. Crittenden of Penn Yan, and Chauncey M. Crittenden of Flint, N. Y. The funeral will be held at the late residence of the deceased Sunday afternoon at two o'clock. Burial will be at the Phelps Cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 28 July 1893

Mrs. Harriet E. Crittenden,
wife of Augustus W. Crittenden, died in Washington, D. C., Tuesday night. She had been sick but about ten days with typhoid fever, and her death was unexpected. Besides a husband and mother, two sisters, Mrs. Lee Crowell of Farmington, and Miss Mollie Young, of this village, were immediate relatives. Mrs. Crittenden had a large circle of friends here, where her home had been for many years. The interment was at Woodlawn Wednesday afternoon.

From Geneva Gazette 6 August 1869

The Phelps Citizen reports a singular and quite serious accident happening to our late townsman, John Crittenden, now of Phelps.  While driving a young mare last Wednesday, about a mile west of Oaks Corners, near his place of residence, gave her a touch with his whip whereupon she kicked striking his left leg just below the knee, breaking it square off, and otherwise seriously injuring him.  It is feared that he received internal injuries which may yet develop a serious case, if not fatal.

LATER - We hear that Mr. Crittenden's life is despaired of.  His injuries prove to have been of a far more serious character than was at first supposed.  The print of the horses foot has shown itself on his breast, and several severe bruises showing internal injury have been developed.  Everything is done for him -- he lies in a delirious and critical condition.
STILL LATER - FATAL TERMINATION - We learn that Mr. Crittenden died of his injuries on Sunday morning.  The announcement will be received with profound sorrow by a wide-spread circle of friends.

From Ontario County Journal 5 March 1897

Phelps, N. Y. -
The funeral services of the late Mrs. Mary Crittenden of Oaks Corners were held last Friday afternoon. The deceased, who died Feb. 23, was one of the oldest persons in town, her age being 92 years at the time of her death.

From Ontario County Chronicle 15 August 1900

Phelps, N. Y. - The funeral of Mrs. Nancy M. Crittenden, widow of the late A. R. Crittenden, was held from the home of her son, Del. S. Crittenden, Sunday afternoon. Mrs. Crittenden was 74 years old and is survived by one brother, H. O. Stuart, of Mason, Mich.; one daughter, Mrs. Lottie VanDermark, and one son, Del. S. Crittenden, both of Phelps.

From Geneva Gazette 26 October 1883 In Phelps, Oct. 24th, Mrs. Pentha G. Crittenden,  a fifty years' resident of that town, aged 83 years.  Two sons, Warren W. and Thomas D. survive her.

From Geneva Daily Times 10 December 1906

Phelps, N. Y. -
The death of Stallman Crittenden occurred yesterday morning at the home of his son, Clarence Crittenden, near Melvin Hill. Mr. Crittenden had been in feeble health for some time. He was about 80 years years of age, and had always lived in this vicinity, being one of the best-known agriculturists here. He is survived by one son, Clarence Crittenden, and several grandchildren.

From Geneva Gazette 13 November 1885

The following particulars are ascertained concerning the sudden death of Thomas D. Crittenden of Phelps, which sad event we announced in our last:  He had left the house the evening before about 7 o'clock to get up some horses.  Not returning in due time, a search was made by the family and friends, but the body was not found until about 2 o'clock in the morning.  A lantern which he took with him was found at the gate several rods from the body.  Mr. Crittenden was in perfect health when he left the house, and it is believed that his death was occasioned from extreme exhaustion and suffocation as his face was buried several inches in soft mud.  The funeral services were held at his late home Sunday afternoon at 1 o'clock, Rev. Mr. Kellogg, pastor of the Presbyterian church, Seneca Castle, officiating.  The family has the sincere sympathy of the entire community in their sad bereavement.

Return to Ontario County Homepage

Copyright © 2003-10, Ontario County NYGenWeb and each contributor and author of materials herein. All rights reserved.

Updated 19 August 2010