"Brou" to "Bry" Obituaries

From Geneva Daily Times 5 February 1907

Canandaigua, N. Y. - Yesterday afternoon was held the funeral of Benjamin Brownell, aged 50 years, who died Saturday after an illness of eleven weeks. The services were held at the Kennedy undertaking rooms, Rev. J. S. Ebersole of the Baptist church, officiating. The remains were taken to Reed Corners for burial. The survivors are a brother and a sister.

From Ontario County Journal 21 June 1889

Naples, N. Y. - Mrs. Caroline Brownell, an aged resident of this place, died in Geneseo on Sunday at the home of her daughter, Mrs. H. H. Watrous. Her remains were brought here for burial on Tuesday.

From Geneva Gazette 19 May 1882

Henry Brownell
of Phelps, who resided a short distance north of the Vandemark stand in Phelps, committed suicide on Tuesday afternoon last, by shooting himself in the heart.  He had been at work during the day, and just before 6 o'clock went to the house, inquired of his sister if tea was ready, and received answer that it would be ready in a few moments.  He went to his bedroom, (as is supposed for his pistol) and without saying anything further went out doors.  When tea was ready the bell was rung, and the two hired men came up from the barn in response.  Mr. Brownell not putting in an appearance inquiry was made for him, but the men had not seen him since he first went to the house.  Search was then instituted, which soon resulted in the finding of his dead body in the second story of the corn house, with a bullet hole in his left breast, his pistol lying by his side.

Mr. Brownell was married about a year ago to a daughter of the late John Haines.  Mrs. B. was absent at Phelps village at the time of this shocking occurrence.  Relations of deceased with his now afflicted wife as with others of her family were to all appearances of a mutually cordial and affectionate character; and it is not known that he had ever manifested any symptoms of insanity; hence the cause of suicide is veiled in mystery.

LATER - An autopsy has been held and the brain found to be much diseased, demonstrating the insanity of the deceased.
The hour for the burial is fixed for two o'clock this (Friday) afternoon.

From Ontario County Journal 5 August 1887

Naples, N. Y. - Joseph Brownell died on Saturday last, aged 90 years. He was the father of Mrs. H. H. Watrous of Geneseo, and of George Brownell of Phelps. His widow is 86 years of age. Mr. Brownell had suffered with a cancer for many years, and death was a relief to him in his infirmity. He was a good man and honored of all.

From Geneva Daily Times 6 September 1910

Rushville, N. Y. -  Mrs. Merritt Brownell,
a former resident of this place, died Saturday morning, and her body was brought here Sunday evening for burial in the village cemetery. A few years before her husband's death they moved to Springwater where she resided until a few months ago when she became an inmate of the Ontario County Home where she died. The funeral services were held yesterday afternoon from the Congregational church of which she was an old and faithful member. The pastor, Rev. Alfred Trenerry, officiated.

From Ontario County Journal 2 August 1895

Miller's Corners, N. Y. -
Last Saturday morning at 10:30 o'clock the funeral of John S. Browning was held in the church here, the Rev. Dr. Campbell of Canandaigua, officiating. He was laid to rest by the side of his wife who preceded him by 16 years. He died after a short illness at the age of 83 years. He leaves two daughters, Mrs. Ortis Baker of North Bloomfield, and Mrs. John Q. Wells of Canandaigua, at whose home he was visiting when his death took place. He moved to this place 27 years ago and lived here until about eight years ago, when he went to North Bloomfield to reside with his daughter, Mrs. Baker. A man of the highest character, kind and tender-hearted, he was esteemed and beloved by all who knew him, and by those who were so fortunate as to be members of the Sabbath school during any of the many years when he was superintendent. His memory will always be cherished.

From Geneva Palladium 11 July 1827

In Geneva on the 10th inst. Mr. Arthur Bruce, a native of Scotland, aged 38 years.  Mr. Bruce was a member of the Seceder church, in good standing, and sustained a fair character.  He died very suddenly, and has left a young family to lament the loss of their friend and protector.

From Ontario County Chronicle 28 January 1903

Hopewell, N. Y. -
Last Tuesday morning occurred the death of Augustus C. Brundage, a well-known farmer of Hopewell, at the age of 65 years. He is survived by a widow and six daughters: Mrs. Chapin of Washington, D. C.; Mrs. Tremain, of New York; Mrs. Coff of Hopewell; Mrs Squier and Mrs. Cole, of Canandaigua, and Miss Frances, of Hopewell; and three sons, Warren of New York; George of Canandaigua,  and Charles of Hopewell.

From Geneva Daily Times 6 May 1907

Mrs. George P. Brundage

Canandaigua, N. Y. - The attention of Coroner F. P. Warner was called to the sudden and mysterious death of Mrs. Brundage, aged 24 years, at her home on Fort Hill avenue, yesterday. The husband, George Brundage, was awakened by the groans of his wife about six o'clock. She was unable to talk and expired  almost immediately. An autopsy was held at the Curtice undertaking rooms and the stomach was removed and will be examined by the county bacteriologist to ascertain the cause of death. Mrs. Brundage was a daughter of Charles Flint of this village, and he with her husband and a little son survive.

From Ontario County Journal 30 January 1891

Flint Creek, N. Y. -
The funeral of Mrs. Maria Brundage, mother of Charles Brundage of Canandaigua, took place on Friday at the residence of her son-in-law, Chester Coller. Mrs. Brundage was a little over ninety-five years of age, and during her long life has made and retained a great many firm friends.

From Geneva Daily Times 21 May 1912

The funeral of Louis Bruno, a popular Italian resident, took place this morning at 10 o'clock from St. Francis DeSales church. The funeral cortege was one of the largest in this city for some time. The procession was escorted by the Legnini Italian Band. Burial was made in St. Patrick's Cemetery.

From Ontario County Chronicle 11 November 1903

Phelps, N. Y. - William Brunskill,
who came here from Penn Yan last spring and was employed by Dewitt Humphrey in general dray and team work, died at the home of Mr. Humphrey suddenly Thursday evening from a severe hemorrhage of the lungs. Mr. Brunskill was 50 years old and leaves one son and a daughter, who reside in Penn Yan.

From Ontario Republican Times 11 June 1862

It has become our painful duty to announce the death of Lieut. Amos Brunson of East Bloomfield. He died at the Royster House Hospital, near Richmond, Virginia, on the 24th of May, after only two days' absence from his regiment. He had been quite ill for several days before he gave up, but could not be persuaded to take needed rest until fever set in and his strength was completely exhausted. Mr. Brunson left Hobart College about one year ago, where he had been a student for three years, and where he had attained the highest distinction both in character and literary qualifications, and took up arms in defence of our imperiled country, intending at the close of the war to complete his collegiate course. But death has terminated his career, blighted the fond hope of friends, and removed from the prominent public circle a youth of the highest promise. He was in the 22d year of his age.

From Ontario County Journal 5 January 1877

Mr. Flavius Brunson,
one of East Bloomfield's oldest inhabitants, departed this life last Wednesday morning, Jan. 3d, aged 93 years. Funeral service will be held next Sabbath.

From Ontario County Times 10 January 1877

Died, in East Bloomfield, Jan. 3, 1877, Flavius J. Brunson, aged 91 years and nine months. Mr. Brunson was born in Berkshire county, Mass., in 1785. At the age of eight years he removed with his father, Deacon Amos Brunson to Bloomfield, where he spent the remainder of a long life. At that early period of his life, and in the infancy of the settlement of civilized society in Ontario County, with very limited provisions for the body or the mind, he began his career. His occupation was that of a farmer; but having an active mind and great perseverance and industry, he managed to acquire the rudiments of a common education, and became quite a scholar. He was a leading spirit in the formation of the Pioneer Society in the town, and being of strictly moral and temperate habits exercised a wholesome influence in it. He was identified with all the improvements of that early day, and was connected with the schools and literary associations of the town, and he became a deep thinker, a forcible speaker and a close reasoner. His wife was Sally, daughter of Benj. Gauss, who was also among the first settlers in the town. Mrs. Brunson died in May last. She was truly a most amiable, devoted and estimable woman.

At one time Mr. Brunson took a somewhat active part in political affairs. About fifty years ago, he became enlisted in the anti-Masonic movement caused by the abduction of Morgan. In that controversy, several spirited articles from his pen, over the signature of "Equal Rights," appeared in the public press of that day, and he had the satisfaction of witnessing the withdrawal of several prominent citizens of the county and state from that order, who publicly declared its principles and practices to be anti-Republican and of dangerous tendency. About that time his health became impaired, and he withdrew from active participation in public affairs, but still continued to be the same close observer of public events, and evincing the same deep solicitude for the public welfare. Mr. Brunson was pre-eminently an upright man, and during a long and well-balanced life, which was not exempt from human frailty, he maintained a character and left a record worthy of remembrance and imitation.

The funeral services took place on Sunday, and were conducted by the Rev. Mr. Brown of the Episcopal church, of which the deceased was a member; the Rev. Dr. Plumbe of the Congregational church, adding some very appropriate remarks.

From Ontario County Times December 30 1874

Died, in East Bloomfield, December 19th, 1874, Mrs. Harriette Amelia Howey, wife of Edward Brunson, aged 43 years. The subject of this notice was a woman of no ordinary worth. Highly gifted by nature, she had, from her childhood, enjoyed the best means of culture -- intellectual, social and religious. And she was thus fitted to adorn, and did adorn, every position in which she was afterwards placed. She was a model of the affectionate and helpful wife; the ever kind, and faithful, and judicious mother. She filled her home with perpetual sunshine to all its loved inmates, and diffused around and in it a happy influence which could not fail to impress even the most transient visitor. To her husband's aged parents, living within a few rods of her, she was all that an own daughter could have been, always a ministering angel of sympathy and comfort. Mrs. B., in her early years, made a profession of her faith in Christ; and that profession she adorned in all the relations of subsequent life. Her religion was of the cheerful and not of the gloomy type, and made her society winning rather than repulsive, even to those who were strangers to the enjoyments of personal piety. She loved the word of God; she loved the people of God, without regard to sect or denomination she loved to have her full share in every good work. Mrs. B. was a member of the Congregationalist church at the time of her death. And, although she was surrounded by every thing that could render life dear - an affectionate family (an appreciative husband and five lovely and loving children), an extensive circle of admiring friends, a sufficiency of worldly means - yet, when the Master called, she was ready and resigned to His will. She willingly gave up all, saying: "It is all right." She bade an affectionate farewell to each member of the domestic circle, and went to join her Savior and the church triumphant in Heaven.

Her funeral was numerously attended, not only by her neighbors, but by her many acquaintances and friends in adjoining towns; and deep and sincere grief was manifest in every countenance. The services were conducted by Rev. Mr. Skeele of the Congregational church, assisted by Dr. Plumb, the key note of which was in the words of Christ, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant." May God bless the dear family thus sorely afflicted, and sanctify the bereavement to the church of which the departed was a member.

From Victor Herald 14 April 1905

East Bloomfield, N. Y. -
The funeral of Mrs. Nan Dennis Brunson, wife of Loring H. Brunson, took place from her late home Saturday afternoon at 2 o'clock. The services were conducted by Rev. W. D. Robinson and largely attended by neighbors and friends. Numerous floral offerings attested the high esteem in which deceased was held by her co-workers. The relatives in attendance were Mr. and Mrs. Walter Brunson of Brockport; Jacob Dennis of Chapinville; Mr. and Mrs. Merton Dennis of Batavia and Mrs. David Smith of Shortsville.

From Geneva Daily Times 7 November 1903

Phelps, N. Y. - Thomas Brunsvill
died suddenly at the home of D. C. Humphrey, Thursday evening. Mr. Brunsvill's home was at Penn Yan, but for the past year he made his home in this village. Election day he worked as usual, but when returning, he complained of a pain in his chest. Thursday evening he had a bad hemorrhage and died a short time afterward. He was about sixty years of age and had one son living in Penn Yan.

From Geneva Gazette 10 May 1889

Samuel Brush,
an aged citizen of Canandaigua, committed suicide last Sunday by taking laudanum and morphine.  He was found asleep in the morning by G. W. Stetson, who lived in the old gentleman's house and had taken care of him.  On a table nearby by were vials of the drugs he had taken and written instructions regarding the care of his body, etc.  He admonished Mr. Stetson to prevent the doctors from meddling with his body until five hours after he was discovered.  Mr. Stetson summoned Drs. Carson and Jewett at once, but the combination of drugs which the old man had swallowed baffled their efforts and he died about quarter past one in the afternoon.  He left an estate estimated at $60,000, which was all willed to his nephew's wife.

From Victor Herald 7 December 1906

Benjamin Brusie,
until some twelve years ago a resident of Victor, died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Charles J. Wood, about six miles north of this village, Monday morning, at the age of eighty-nine years. For a long period of time Mr. Brusie followed the business of threshing and he was well-known throughout this vicinity. He had been in vigorous health until within a few days before his death. Two daughters survive, Mrs. Wood, with whom he had lately made his home, and Mrs. Fred Fox of Fairport. The funeral services were held at the house, Wednesday morning and interment made in the Village Cemetery here. 

From Victor Herald 7 November 1902

Another one of Victor's valued citizens, who had known our village in all its stages of development and through all its trials, was George W. Brusie, who passed from this life under the weight of over four score well spent years, early Tuesday morning last. Mr. Brusie was born in the eastern part of the state eighty-one years ago last March. His parents removed with the entire family to Wangum Mills, in this town, while Mr. Brusie was still a child, afterward coming to Victor village. Mr. Brusie has lived here nearly 75 years. He married Frances Tompkins about 58 years ago. Five children were born to them, three of whom are still living. Mr. Brusie, in his early life, was a farmer but later learned the blacksmith trade with Uriah Decker in the old stone shop now operated by W. C. Snyder on West Main street, in this village. Mr. Brusie's life was one of steady effort and he never ceased his labors until the demands of time became too insistent to longer withstand. His declining years have been passed in comfort with his aged and faithful life partner and under the care of his daughter and the other members of the homestead family. The deceased is survived by his widow, Mrs. Frances Brusie; two daughters, Emma Brusie and Mrs. Albert Sale; one  son, Clarence Brusie, all of Victor; and one sister, Mrs. Ellen M. Knight of Chicago, Illinois. The funeral was held from the house yesterday afternoon at 2 o'clock, Rev. Frank W. Hill officiating. Interment was made in Boughton Hill cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 29 December 1893

Phelps, N. Y. - Gonzello Bruzee,
eldest son of Eugene Bruzee, of Oaks Corners, died last Friday of consumption, aged 35 years. He leaves a wife and two children. The funeral was held on Sunday afternoon. Burial was in Phelps cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 14 February 1911

The funeral of Mrs. Caroline Nellie Bryan, wife of Thomas Turner Bryan, will take place from the family residence, No. 34 Cortland Street, tomorrow afternoon. Rev. C. M. Sills, DD, rector of Trinity Church will officiate and interment will be
in Glenwood.

From Ontario County Times 2 March 1870

The Geneva Courier gives the details of the investigation into the sudden death of Mr. J. Frank Bryan, which occurred in that village on the night of the 20th ult.:

Mrs. Eliza Bryan, wife of deceased, testified: Had been married 10 years; came to Geneva six years ago last September; deceased was not a temperate man, though not a constant drinker, but was occasionally intoxicated several days at a time; during these attacks was unusually much depressed; more so on this occasion than usual; did not notice anything peculiar in his conduct until Thursday when he asked if I had laudanum in the house; I had not; went to my friend's, Miss Morse, and procured about a tablespoonful; he took half of it at one time and the other half in about 15 minutes thereafter; I became alarmed and wished to send for a physician; he declined, saying that he wished there had been twice as large a quantity; he was in the habit of carrying laudanum upon his person; did not know what quantity he took at a time; the quantity taken at this time did not seem to affect him. On Friday he asked for paper to write upon; I furnished him and he sat down and wrote with his pencil; it was unusual for him to write in the house; he wrote about one-half sheet of note paper; I was curious to know to whom he was writing, and asked him if it was a doctor, as I had seen Dr. upon the paper; he said it was not a doctor, but I would soon have known, as it was addressed to me; he then stepped to the stove and burned the paper; he did not want to live; he then got up and walked the floor so violently that I tried to quiet him. He went from home Sunday about 1 p.m. and returned about half-past four; noticed that he had been drinking, though nothing unusual in his conduct; he asked if I had been out to Sunday School, and tho't it imprudent in me to venture out in such a storm; took off his overcoat and laid down upon the bed; I stepped out of the room to attend to some domestic affairs about the dinner; when I returned my little son, Charlie, said that papa had taken some flour; I stepped to the bed and discovered that he had taken something; asked him what it was; he said nothing but a powder he had got from the drug store of Maynard & Laning as an antidote for whisky; he said he wanted to be ready for business in the morning; this was our last conversation. Saw the powder on his coat and face; I became alarmed, and soon after went over to Dr. Dox's office and inquired if it had been strychnine how long before it would have taken effect; he said in less than fifteen minutes. My husband had put some strychnine in his mouth in a paper, some five years since, which I succeeded in removing before he could swallow it; he also went to the lake the same day, but was followed by Mr. C. D. Vail; these attempts were made while under the influence of liquor. About 6 1/2 o'clock on Sunday, went into a heavy sleep from which he never fully aroused; sent for Drs. Dox and Eastman at 7 p.m.; he died at a quarter to 6 a.m. on Monday. Mr. Bryan was 43 years of age, and he leaves a very estimable wife and two small children. He is said to have been a very kind man at all times in his family. As a salesman, he was esteemed by his employers and fellow clerks. It is certainly one of the most heart-rending occurrences which has happened in our midst for many years, and casts a gloom over the entire community. We trust that Mrs. Bryan may receive a substantial sympathy from her many friends in Geneva.

From Geneva Gazette 26 August 1898

Death of John W. Bryan occurred at his home on the Chas. Gates farm, Seneca, very suddenly Monday night last. He was formerly engaged in the trucking business in Geneva. He leaves two brothers (of whom Thomas Bryan the hackman is one) and three married sisters. He also leaves six half-orphaned children. His age is 45 years and 3 months. He was ever an industrious and frugal man, void of reproach before his fellow-men.

Burial Glenwood Cemetery Donated by Darwina Michael. If you have an interest in this family, please email me

From Ontario County Chronicle 7 January 1903

Mrs. Phebe Bryan
of this village died at the home of her niece, Mrs. Helen Brigden, in Pasadena, California, December 28, aged 81 years, 2 months. Mrs. Bryan left her home here on Friday, October 10, to spend the winter with her niece. She stood the journey well and was in good health until she was stricken with pneumonia. On Christmas day her son, F. W. Bryan, in this village, received telegrams announcing her critical illness. Mr. Bryan started at once for Pasadena, but his mother died before he reached there. Mrs. Bryan had resided in Canandaigua since 1883, coming here with her son and daughter from Penn Yan, where her husband died several years before. Mrs. Bryan was a devoted mother and a woman of many rare qualities of mind and heart. Her daughter died some years since, leaving her son the only surviving member of the family. The remains will reach Canandaigua tomorrow.

From Geneva Daily Times 14 January 1924

Thomas T. Bryan , 70 years old, died at his home No. 34 Cortland street, Sunday night after a four-day's illness with pneumonia.  For many years Mr. Bryan was in the livery and garage business in this city, but retired a few years ago. He is survived by five children, Walter E., Charles A., and Lucile A. Bryan, Mrs. R. R. Jarvis of Boston Mass., and Mrs. Clifford E. Hoover of Youngstown Oh.; two sisters, Mrs. W. E. Beales of Geneva and Mrs. Andrew Harvie of Rochester; and one brother, William Bryan, of Flint Mich. Funeral services will be held at 10:30 o'clock at the house and at Trinity Church at 11 A. M. Wednesday.  Rev. Samuel H. Edsall, rector, officiating. Interment will be made in Glenwood Cemetery.

Donated by Darwina Michael. If you have an interest in this family, please email me

From Geneva Daily Times 8 June 1959

Death today claimed the life of Walter E. Bryan, veteran Geneva taxicab operator, whose years spanned the evolution of taxi service from horse and buggy days to the present. Mr. Bryan died after a heart attack about 10 a.m. at his home, 41 VerPlanck St. The well-known Geneva figure collapsed in his garage after making a taxi call this morning. Dr. E. G. Padgham was called after the victim his back ached. Mr. Bryan collapsed shortly after the physician's arrival. Born in Geneva on Cortland St., Mr. Bryan lived here all his life. He was believed to be about 71 years old.

His career began when he went into business with his father, Thomas, who operated a livery stable on S. Exchange St. The Bryans claim they had the original taxi contract with the New York Central and Lehigh Valley railroads here. Mr. Bryan took over his father's business after they had switched from horses to taxis. He called his service the Yellow Cab and Baggage Co. He transported mail as well as passengers. His wife died many years ago. Mr. Bryan is survived by his son, Thomas Bryan of Geneva; two sisters, Mrs. Edna Jervis, Boston, Mass., and Mrs. Belle Ross of Syracuse.

From Geneva Daily Times 29 September 1932

The funeral of William H. Bryan of Benton, well-known here, occurred Tuesday afternoon.  Besides his wife, he leaves one son, George, of Flint Michigan; and two sisters, Mrs. Martha Beals of this city and Mrs. Mary Harvie of Rochester.   The funeral will be held from his late home in Benton tomorrow at 2 o'clock with burial in Glenwood Cemetery of this city.

From Geneva Courier 16 May 1877

Sudden Death in Shortsville

On Sunday, the 29th ult., while attending the Episcopal service at Adams Hall in Shortsville, Albert Bryant, son of William Bryant, fell in an apoletic fit and was taken from the hall to Mr. B. F. Cloye's residence, where he died in a few minutes.  He had long suffered from attacks of this character and was not considered in any immediate danger until from the violence and rapidly recurring character of the disease it became apparent that the attack was very serious.  His friends were summoned, but none but his brother's wife, Mrs. Belle Bryant, arrived till he breathed his last.  He was a young man about thirty-one or two years of age.  The funeral services were held at the Presbyterian church on Tuesday afternoon at two o'clock.  Rev. J. M. Harlow preached the discourse.  (Ontario County Times)

From Geneva Daily Times 6 May 1908

Shortsville, N. Y. - Charles Bryant of this village died this morning of heart failure in his 70th year. He was a G. A. R. veteran and also a Mason. He leaves a widow but no children and also a sister in St. Louis. Burial Brookside Cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 8 September 1902

Edwin Bryant
was found dead in bed by Mrs. Bryant at 6 o'clock yesterday morning.  He was a farmer and had lived in the vicinity of this city for 50 years or more.  He died at his late residence on the Lyons road, four miles north of Geneva, aged 68 years.  He is survived by his widow and two sons.  Mr. Bryant had been in his usual health and did not complain of any illness when he retired Saturday night.  When Mrs. Bryant awoke yesterday morning she was surprised not to hear anything of her husband.  She arose and proceeded to his bed room on the upper floor.  He was dead.  Coroner Weyburn was notified at once.  He arrived at the house about 7 o'clock.  He found that Mr. Bryant had been dead for several hours.  The coroner, after an investigations, gave a certificate of death from apoplexy.  The deceased was born in England.  He came to this country when he was 18 years old and settled in the vicinity of Geneva.  The funeral will take place from the Episcopal chapel on the Lyons road at 2 o'clock tomorrow afternoon.  Interment will be in the Dobbins cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 9 June 1899

Clifton Springs, N. Y. -
The funeral services of Samuel Bryant occurred at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Maynard, on Saturday last. Deceased was 82 years old and one of the oldest residents.

Return to Ontario County Homepage

Copyright © 2005-10, Ontario County NYGenWeb and each contributor and author of materials herein. All rights reserved.

Updated 14 July 2010