"Beo to Biz" Obituaries

From Geneva Daily Times 2 March 1907

Naples, N. Y. - Mrs. William Berger died at her home on Lyon street Thursday night of pneumonia, aged 56 years. She and her husband, Mr. Vogt, came from Buffalo to Naples thirteen years ago, Mr. Vogt dying soon after. About five years ago she was married to Mr. Berger, who with Jacob Vogt, a son by her first husband, now survive her. She was a member of the Woman's Lodge of D. O. H., was an excellent woman and had many friends among the residents here.

From Ontario County Journal 1 January 1915

The death of Mrs. Catherine Bergin, wife of William J. Bergin, occurred at her home on Perry place on Wednesday afternoon at 5 o'clock, following a short illness of pneumonia. Besides her husband, she leaves three daughters, Mrs. James McPadden, of Canandaigua; Mrs. William Sculthorpe and Miss Josephine Bergin of Rochester; and three sons, John T. of Toulon, Ill., William J. of Denver, Col., and Michael W. of Canandaigua.

From Ontario County Journal 8 January 1915

The death of William Bergin, aged 70 years, occurred at his home on Perry place on Wednesday morning, after a week's illness of pneumonia. He leaves three sons and three daughters, Mrs. James McPadden and Michael W. Bergin of Canandaigua; Mrs. William Sculthorpe and Miss Josephine Bergin of Rochester; John T. Bergin of Toulon, Ill., and William J. Bergin of Denver, Col. The funeral services will be held at St. Mary's church this morning at 9:30 o'clock. The remains will be interred in Calvary Cemetery beside those of his wife, who died a week previous of pneumonia.

From Ontario County Journal 22 May 1896

Naples, N. Y. - Mrs. Eva Marie,
wife of Wm. Bergman, died on Saturday, May 16, aged 70 years. She was the mother of 11 children, eight of whom are living. There are 25 grandchildren and 5 great-grandchildren. Three of her children reside in Naples, Mrs. John Gams, Mrs. Fred Widmer and Miss Elizabeth, also one son, Fred. Deceased came to this country from Germany in 1853, landing at Baltimore. They came to Naples 13 years ago from Cohocton.

From Geneva Daily Times 23 September 1915

Mrs. Susie Bergman,
wife of Alfred Bergman, died at her home on the corner of the White Springs Road and St. Clair street, this morning at 8 o'clock, after an illness of 5 days of erysipelas. Besides her husband, she leaves three sons, Albert, William and Gustow Bergman; one daughter. Alice Bergman. Funeral services will be held Saturday afternoon at 2 o'clock from the house, Dr. D. D. Campbell of the First Methodist church officiating. Burial will be in Glenwood Cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 26 April 1912

The death of Lyman A. Berner, formerly of Canandaigua, occurred at his home in Ovid on Monday, after a long illness, aged 57 years. Death was due to Bright's disease. The funeral services were held from Woodlawn chapel on Wednesday. Besides his wife, he leaves three children, Verrol, Susie and Austin, of Ovid; and two sisters, Miss M. Luie Berner of Canandaigua, and Mrs. Lottie Allen of Allen's Hill. One son died four months ago.

From Ontario County Times 12 November 1890

Died, in South Bristol, of consumption, October 19, in the 73rd year of her age, Mrs. Susan Berner. She was born near Meadville, Pa., and when only 16 was married to Captain Freeman Judd, of North East, Erie Co. It proved to be a most happy marriage, but death was near and in the midst of all their hopes and gladness, Captain Judd passed over the river, leaving behind him his young wife and only one son, Freeman, now also dead. After several years of widowhood, Mrs. Judd married Mr. Sebastian Berner, of Lockport, N. Y., by whom she leaves one son, Lyman, of South Bristol; and three daughters, Mrs. Rockwell of Canandaigua, Mrs. Allen of South Bristol, and Miss Luta, also of Canandaigua; and very many warm and loving friends, for she was true, sincere and kind in all her acts of life. To know her was to love her.

From Ontario County Journal 11 September 1903

At her home on Prospect street on Wednesday evening occurred the death of Mrs. Esther L. Berry, wife of Morey E. Power, aged 67 years. Deceased had been in feeble health for several years. Besides her husband, she is survived by three daughters, Mr. J. M. Stokoe, of this village, Mrs. L. D. Herendeen of Farmington, and Mrs. Herbert Wiley of Victor; and one son, L. W. Power of New York. Three brothers, Joseph and William Berry, of this village, and John Berry of Bristol; and one sister, Mrs. O. M. Hitchcock, of this village, also survive. The funeral services will be held at the late home this afternoon at 3 o'clock. Rev. Arthur Dougall will officiate.

From Geneva Daily Times 28 December 1928

James Berry,
aged 63, died suddenly yesterday afternoon at his home, Algerine street, Town of Hopewell. He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Margaret Fitzgerald Berry; one daughter, Mary, of the Town of Hopewell; one son, James of Rochester; and three sisters, Mrs. Ella Beaumont of Canandaigua; Mrs. Henry Sherman of Cleveland, O., and Mrs. William McDowell of Elmira. The funeral will be held at 8:15 o'clock Monday morning from the home and 9 o'clock at St. Francis de Sales church, this city. Interment will be in St. Patrick's cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 21 September 1900

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - 
On Sunday occurred the death of Mrs. Johanna Berry at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Fred Mason, aged 56 years. The funeral services were held from St. Bridget's church on Tuesday morning, pastor of the church, Rev. Father Nevill, officiating.

From Ontario Repository & Messenger 13 May 1897

Yesterday the funeral of Michael Berry, who died at Willard, Monday, was held at M. J. Moran's. Mr. Berry was a Canandaigua business man many years and was well and favorably known to the public.

From Victor Herald 25 January 1901

Thomas Berry,
who resides near the Canandaigua town line, and is well known in this vicinity, died at his home Tuesday. He was 58 years old, and is survived by his wife and one daughter.

From Clifton Springs Press 27 July 1916

The death of Mrs. Tryphena C. Berry occurred at the home of William Thompson, on Broad street, on Saturday evening, July 22, following a prolonged illness. Mrs. Berry was a native of the state of Maine, having been born at Kittery Point, nearly 71 years ago. Her early life was spent in that vicinity. After her marriage she went to Boston, Mass., where she resided for a long term of years, she having resided in this village only during the past three years. While a resident of Boston, Mrs. Berry was very active in social and fraternal organizations, she having held the position of Worthy Grand Matron of the Eastern Star, in the state of Massachusetts; she also held prominent positions in the Woman's Relief Corps. She is survived by two daughters, Mrs. S. H. Ayres of this village, and Mrs. F. H. Hartman of Knoxville, Tenn.; one son, George A. C. Berry, of this village; and one grandchildren, Miss Eleanor Hartman of Knoxville. The remains were taken to Boston on Sunday evening, and the funeral services were held there on Tuesday morning at 10:30 o'clock; after which burial was made at Kittery Point.

From Ontario County Journal 26 July 1895

Clifton Springs, N. Y. -
Last Friday evening, Eliza, wife of John Bertram, died very suddenly at her home just east of this village, of heart trouble. Mrs. Bertram left her house to feed the chickens, and being gone an unusually long time, some of the family went in search of her, and found her lying dead. Coroner Howe of Phelps was notified, and in the afternoon Drs. Turck, of this place, and P. Howe of Manchester, made a post mortem examination, and pronounced the cause of death to be fatty degeneration of the heart. The funeral services were held at her late home on Sunday morning and the remains were taken to Geneva for interment.

From Phelps Citizen 30 May 1878

On Thursday last, John Bertram died suddenly near his house, while mowing. Esquire Lisk visited the scene and viewed the remains, and made such inquiries as led to the belief that it was unnecessary to call a coroner, it being self evident that the death was from natural causes. But the circle who knew the true facts was small, and soon vague rumors begun to assume the shape of a connected story, and after the burial some party wrote of the matter to Coroner Shannon, who deemed it best to hold an inquest and after a post mortem examination made by Drs. Crittenden, Archer and others, the jury rendered a verdict of death from apoplexy.

From Geneva Daily Times 4 January 1898

John F. Bertram, a well-known veteran of the war, died yesterday morning at his home, 135 Andes avenue, aged 65 years. He had been ill a short time, and his death came suddenly. The funeral will take place at 3:30 o'clock Wednesday afternoon from the house with interment in Glenwood cemetery. Mr. Bertram was born in Germany June 21, 1832, and after coming to this country, lived 35 years in Clifton Springs. He served in the late civil war for five years, and was honorably discharged from the service. He was a prisoner eleven months in Andersonville, and had been a member of the G. A. R. post of Clifton Springs. He leaves a sister, Mrs. Wm. F. Herrling of Auburn; three sons, Matthew A., Frederick J. and Frank of Geneva; and one daughter, Mrs. E. E. Rickles of Andes avenue, Geneva.

From Ontario County Journal 29 November 1895

Phelps, N. Y. -
One of the oldest residents in town, in the person of Mrs. Kate Beston, died at her home near Cuddebacks station Monday night, of old age, aged 95 years. The funeral was held Wednesday forenoon, and interment made in the Lyons cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 24 January 1898

Mrs. John Beston, died at her home on North street, this city, at 6 o'clock last evening, aged 35 years. The deceased was well known here. She is survived by her husband and three children, all of whom live in Geneva, and a sister who resides in Canandaigua. The funeral will take place tomorrow in Canandaigua.

From Victor 20 May 1904

The death of Mrs. Nicholas Beth occurred at the family home, three miles northeast of this village Thursday afternoon, May 19th, at about 3 o'clock, after several months of suffering from a cancerous trouble. She was born in Germany about 50 years ago, coming to this country when a young girl. Possessed of a kind heart, Mrs. Beth was always ready to sacrifice health and pleasure for her family and friends. The funeral will be held on Saturday afternoon at 2 o'clock at the house, and 3 o'clock at the German Lutheran church at Farmington, where the burial will be made. Mrs. Beth was the mother of twelve children, ten of whom, with the husband, survive. The following are the children: Tillie-Mrs. George Kratchinburg; Annie-Mrs. George Sloan, both of Farmington; Theresa-Mrs. William Amesbury of Spencerport; Sophia of Ithaca, who has been caring for her mother for several weeks; Clara, Nora, Alice, Nicholas, Jr., Henry and William, all residing at home.

From Ontario County Times 1 March 1882

Victor, N. Y. -  Mrs. Charles Betterly
died at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. Susan Parks, on Monday of last week at the advanced age of eighty-five years. The remains were taken to Battle Creek, Michigan, for interment.

From Geneva Gazette 22 September 1893

The death of and burial of Wells Betts, recently announced, was no doubt a surprise to most Geneva people, as his ruddy face and stout built form had hardly been missed from among us; but such is the case. He and his wife and son moved to Rochester last March. He had secured a place to work and was getting along comfortably when he was taken seriously ill. A doctor was called but could not relieve him without taking him to the hospital, so he went there and they performed an operation. But he did not seem to mend and was a great sufferer until his death which occurred in just three weeks after the operation. The doctors wished to hold a post mortem and Mrs. Betts gave her consent; they said the operation was a success, but the other organs were so diseased that he could not have lived long if he had not had the operation. Deceased was born in Seneca Falls, December 1848, but he had been a resident of Geneva since he was four years old. He leaves a widow and son in Rochester; a daughter, Mrs. Fred Hyatt of Lockport; a sister, Mrs. John Mills of Lyons. The funeral services were held at the Baptist church in Geneva and were well attended. Interment in Washington St. Cemetery.

From Victor Herald 13 November 1903

A man whose life has meant much to Farmington, in all the channels of good citizenship, for over forty years, was C. H. Betz, who died suddenly of heart disease at his home in Farmington, Saturday last. Although his influence was confined mainly to his home town, his name is familiar to nearly everyone who will read these lines. Born in Germany in 1831, Mr. Betz came to the "land of the free" at the age of twenty-four. Since 1862 his home and work has been in the town where he lived his last days. Mr. Betz kept one of the village general stores, and was postmaster up to the time when the encroachment of free delivery marked the end of the Farmington post-office. Two children, Edward C. Betz and Mrs. Volney Reddington, remain of the immediate family.

From Fairport Herald 19 October 1939

Farmington, N. Y., Oct. 17 - Edward C. Betz,
lifelong resident, passed away at his home Saturday, Oct. 14. Although his health had been impaired for some time, his passing came as a shock to his many friends in this community. He conducted a general store which he successfully operated for 37 years in this village, having taken over the business following his father's passing. Mr. Betz was born in the town of Farmington and was 77 years of age. He was united in marriage to Sarah P. Gardner, youngest daughter of Thomas P. and Henriette Gardner, on Sept. 20, 1894, who survives. He was a member of the Masonic lodge of Macedon, in which he took great interest. Mr. Betz will be greatly missed by his neighbors and friends with whom he had been closely associated for years. He leaves, besides his widow, two sons, Herman Edward Betz of Fairport and Leo Francis Betz of Shortsville; and three granddaughters. The funeral was held at his late home this afternoon at 2 o'clock. Macedon Lodge held their service at the burial which took place in the family lot in North Farmington Friends cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 29 April 1907

The funeral of Joseph Bevinino, who died yesterday afternoon at 4 o'clock at his hotel, took place this morning at 9:30 o'clock from the house and at ten o'clock from St. Francis de Sales church. The deceased was 33 years old and has been a resident of the United States for twenty years. For about a year, he has been proprietor of a hotel at No. 306 Exchange street. Death was caused by quick consumption. Besides his wife, he is survived by three brothers, Patricus of this city, Antonio of New York, and Frank of Sharpsburg, Pa.; four sisters, Mrs. James Cocola of this city, Mary, Nellie and Mariangela in Italy.

From Geneva Daily Times 6 August 1932

Canandaigua, N. Y. -  Mrs. Mary Emily Beyea,
70, died at her home in this city. She was born in Geneva and had lived in Canandaigua for 60 years. She leaves her husband, Adolphus Beyea of Belmont; three sons and two daughters, Adolphus, Raymond and Frank Beyea, Mrs. Jams Carey and Mrs. Ruth Mallgarwill of Canandaigua; also two sisters and a brother, Mrs. Alice McIntosh, Mrs. Esther Ashley and Edward Pike, also of this city; also 34 grandchildren and six great-grandchildren. Funeral services will be held from the home Monday at 2 o'clock with burial in West Avenue cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 27 January 1932

Mrs. Ida Catherine Beyer,
aged 45, wife of Chauncey A. Beyer, of Castle street, died at the Geneva General Hospital last night. Beside her husband, she is survived by one daughter, Mrs. E. R. Schnirel; one son, Paul A.; her mother, Mrs. Katherine Frank of Geneva; three sisters, Mrs. Edith Lidenburg and Mrs. C. A. Cantor of Detroit, Mrs. A. C. Fazar of Canandaigua; and one brother, Joseph V. Frank of Syracuse. Mrs. Beyer was a member of St. Peter's church and of St. Margaret's Guild of that church; a member of the Royal Neighbors of America, and of the American Legion Auxiliary. The funeral will be held Friday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock at her late home on Castle street, with the Rev. H. H. Hassinger of St. Peter's church officiating. Burial will be in Glenwood Cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 13 July 1908

Mrs. Christina E. Bias,
65 years of age, died yesterday afternoon at her home, No. 142 High street, after an illness of six weeks. The deceased has been a lifelong resident of Geneva and for many years a communicant of Trinity church. She is survived by one daughter, Harriet Bias, of this city, and one brother, William Arnold of Cleveland, Ohio. The funeral will take place from Trinity church Monday afternoon at 4 o'clock with Rev. J. A. Leighton, chaplain of Hobart College, officiating. Burial will be in Washington Street Cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 13 December 1878

Victor, N. Y. -
The funeral rites of Mrs. Azariah Bickford will take place at the Universalist church this forenoon. Mrs. Bickford died suddenly last Saturday eve'g, after scarcely two days illness. Hanna S. Biddlecome was a native of Herkimer county, this state, and early came to this section of the state, was married and has lived here for many years  Her age was seventy-eight. She was a woman of unusual ability and firm religious convictions. Singularly free from all mere pretensions, her influence was always felt for good and her walk and conversation at all times marked by a generous devotion to relieving the distressed. Her conduct for the past few years will command the hearty esteem and respect of all who are acquainted with her history.

From Ontario County Journal 9 January 1880

Victor, N. Y. -
Died in this place on Wednesday morning, Azariah Bickford, aged 84 years. The funeral services will be held at the Universalist church on Saturday at 12 o'clock noon.

From Geneva Courier 23 July 1879


A fatal accident and runaway occurred in Phelps early last Friday afternoon.  As Mr. Thomas Biddlecome, of this place, was engaged in drawing lumber from Geneva for Mr. Odell, when opposite Mr. Hugh Hammond's he was seen to suddenly throw up his arms, at the same time saying "whoa" to his team, and immediately afterwards falling from the load.  The team which was walking at the time, then started on a slow run.  A son of Mr. A. H. Fort, who was working in a lot close to the road, heard Mr. Biddlecome and saw him throw up his arms.  (He was the only one that saw him) and immediately jumped over the fence to stop the team, but looking back he saw some one in the road, and ran to help the fallen man.  He saw on approaching him probably the worst sight he ever beheld.  It would seem that the hind wheel of the heavy load of lumber had run over the unfortunate man's face, diagonally, smashing the front of his face all in, so that those who found him first could not tell who he was, although well acquainted with him.

He was taken to the side of the road, and Drs. Howe and Mudge were called to attend him, but on examination it was found that nothing could be done for him.  He was soon after taken to his home on the plank road, where he lingered but a few hours, dying before sun-set.  The team after the accident kept on up the street, turning in upon the sidewalk at Dr. Howe's.  The wagon caught on the first maple tree, and the team leaving everything but the forward wheels, kept on up the sidewalk, past the hotel, Gibson block, and up to the old Globe hotel, where they were caught, none the worse for their run.  It was very fortunate that no one was hurt, and no damage done to the sidewalk. We understand that an inquest is being held on the body.  The funeral takes place this afternoon.  The deceased leaves a wife and two children.  Mr. Biddlecome was about forty-five years of age.  It is not exactly known what was the cause of the accident.  One theory is that he had fallen asleep, and was shaken off the load by the wheel striking a stone.  It is also said that he had a fit, or was under the influence of liquor.       Phelps, July 21st, 1879

From Geneva Daily Times 5 March 1907

Phelps, N. Y. -
The body of Thomas Biddlecome, a former Phelps man who died at Auburn, was brought here for burial Monday. Mr. Biddlecome was the son of Mr. and Mrs. W. S. Biddlecome and was born in Phelps thirty years ago. Twelve years ago he moved to Geneva, and while there he joined the 34th Separate Co. He was with the company at Camp Black and Camp Alger at the time of the Spanish war and it was there that he contracted the disease that ultimately caused his death. Besides his parents he leaves one brother, Roy Biddlecome of Geneva. A detachment of the 34th Regiment accompanied the remains of their comrade here yesterday and the body was buried with full military honors. The committal services were also conducted by Rev. C. E. Gregory of the Presbyterian Church.

From Ontario County Journal 25 March 1910

Mrs. Caroline Gross Biehl,
who for some weeks has been prostrate with paralysis, died on Friday, at the age of 73. She was the widow of Peter Biehl, who died last April. The Biehl brothers, Peter and Jacob, came from Germany with their families about 40 years ago, and for most of that time Peter had lived in Naples. He was a vineyardist. They had three sons, Charles of St. Louis; William of Bath; and Fred at home. Their daughters are Mrs. Caroline Reisinger, Mrs. James Ellison and Mrs. Fred Ellison of Naples, and Mrs. Mary Gross of Hornell. One brother of Mrs. Biehl, August Gross, lived next door. The family were adherents of the Lutheran church and for many years were supporters of that church in Naples until it was discontinued. Dr. J. H. France of the Presbyterian church officiated at the funeral on Monday. Several children and many grandchildren are sad at the loss of a loved mother and grandmother.

From Ontario County Journal 23 April 1909

Peter Biehl
entered into rest on Monday morning, at his home on the lake road. He had been a long and patient sufferer, and his death was a welcome release. He is survived by his wife, three daughters and three sons.

From Geneva Daily Times 19 December 1904

Mrs. C. L. Bigelow,
an aged resident of the town of Phelps, died Saturday as the result of a stroke of paralysis, with which she was stricken a couple of weeks ago. She is survived by her husband and one daughter, Miss Mary Bigelow. The remains will be taken to Newark for burial.

From Phelps Citizen 2 January 1879

James Bigelow, who has been a resident of this town for the past eight years, died Monday inst., at the advanced age of 85 years, 11 months and 26 days. More than forty years of his life were spent near Wolcott, Wayne county. Since his removal to this village, he has lived with his son, Mr. Chas. L. Bigelow. During his life he was known as a capable, consistent man, who has led an exemplary, religious life. He was a member of the Baptist church.

From Geneva Courier 11 June 1862

Choked to Death -
On Friday the 29th inst., a man by the name of Hyde Bilby, a resident of Canadice, called at a Hotel in Springwater for his dinner.  Soon after settling himself at the table, it was noticed that his head had dropped forward and was almost resting on his plate, and that he was speechless.  Medical aid was procured, but the man died.  An examination was had before a coroner's jury, and a piece of meat two and a half inches long, by two inches thick, was found lodged over the palate and was the cause of his death.  So says the Geneseo Republican.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 20 January 1931

Canandaigua, Jan. 19 -
The funeral of Mrs. Elizabeth M. Bill, 83, and widow of George H. Bill, who died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. K. K. Deysher, was held from her late residence this afternoon. Survivors are two daughters, Mrs. Deysher and Mrs. Essie Boyd, also of Canandaigua, together with two grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.

From Phelps Citizen 19 April 1934

Mrs. Ernest Bill,
61, died at her home in Orleans last Thursday. She is survived by her husband, Ernest Bill of Orleans, four daughters, Mrs. Leslie Corbin of Montour Falls, Mrs. Avery Hollenbeck and Miss Gladys Bill of Orleans, and Miss Emma Bill of Buffalo; three sons, Glenn and Clyde of Franklinville and David of Potsdam; a sister, Mrs. Lafayette Hewett of Dolgeville; and two brothers, Chester Gates of Tribes Hill and Frank Gates of Utica. Funeral services were held in the home Saturday afternoon with burial in Orleans cemetery.

From Geneva Gazette 8 February 1901

John Bill,
a prominent farmer living west of this city, died Wednesday night, aged 92 years. The deceased is survived by one daughter.

From Geneva Gazette 15 February 1901

Paul Frederick Bill,
died at his home near Halls Corners, N. Y., on February 6, aged 85 years.  Mr. Bill was born June 29th, 1815, his parents having removed from Groton, Conn., to the town of Seneca in 1813.  He was one of the best known and painstaking farmers of Seneca and an estimable citizen.

From Naples Neoplitan 19 January 1887

Yesterday morning Horace Bills, on the Cribb farm towards Bristol Springs, died quite suddenly, aged 68 years. He was only sick two days. He is an old resident of this vicinity and was much respected. The funeral will be held Thursday at Bristol Springs, and Rev. W. D. Platt will officiate.

From Geneva Gazette 2 February 1900

Died at her residence near Billsborrow Station in the town of Geneva on the 31st ult. at the advanced age of 86 years.  She is survived by five children -- two sons, Robert and George W., and three daughters, Mrs. Monagle of Seneca, Mrs. Rupert Brown of Penn Yan and Miss Agnes of Billsborrow.  The latter was the filial companion of her mother during her declining years.  The deceased's maiden name was Wilkie, of which family there are many survivors of a second and third generation.  All who knew deceased speak in high terms of her neighborly, exemplary and Christian character. Her funeral was held yesterday -- interment in Seneca cemetery, adjacent to the Church.  There was a large attendance, several going from this city.

From Geneva Advertiser 22 October 1901

Robert Bilsborrow
died at his home in the town of Geneva, a few miles south of the city limits, last Sunday night of a complication of liver, kidney and stomach troubles.  He was one of the best-known residents of the town, having been born there, we believe.  Not a week passed but he was in town from twice to four or five times, until this sickness - and we understand it was the first time in his life that he was laid up in bed - laid him low.  He was the republicans' renominated candidate for supervisor of the town.  His age was about 59 years.  He leaves a wife and one married daughter, one brother, George W. and two sisters, Mrs. Justus Rupert and Mrs. Monagle.  The funeral will take place this afternoon at two o'clock from his late home, and the interment will be in the cemetery at No. 9 Church.

From Geneva Daily Times 26 November 1901

Joseph August Binks
of Canandaigua died at the home of his sister, Mrs. Ida Coleman, 70 Seneca street, this city, at 6 o'clock this morning, aged 47 years.  The cause of death was consumption.  Mr. Binks formerly lived here.  He conducted a barber shop in the International hotel block for six years, up to 14 years ago, when he removed to Canandaigua. The deceased came here three weeks ago to visit his sister.  He was taken suddenly worse and died as stated.  The deceased is survived by a wife, and one daughter, Miss Maud Binks, of Canandaigua; by his sister, residing in this city, and by his mother.  The remains were taken to Canandaigua today, on the 12:17 o'clock train.  The funeral will take place Friday, at hour not yet decided upon.

From Geneva Daily Times 9 April 1907

Canandaigua, N. Y. - Mrs. Rebecca C. Binks, widow of William Binks, a member of a well-known colored family of this village, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Ida Coleman, on Coach street, Sunday after a two days' illness from apoplexy. Mrs. Binks was born in Geneva 74 years ago, but had resided in this village for many years. She leaves one daughter, Mrs. Coleman, and several grandchildren.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 10 April 1907

Sunday morning at 9:15 o'clock at the home of her daughter, Mrs. D. W. Coleman in Coach street, occurred the death of Mrs. Rebecca Binks, at the age of 74 years, of pneumonia and old age. The deceased is in addition to her daughter survived by three grandchildren, Mrs. Maud DeLeon of this village; Mrs. John G. Lee of Rochester; and Mrs. Herman Kenney of Geneva; also four younger ones. She had always been a resident of Ontario county. The funeral was held yesterday afternoon from the Congregational chapel at 3 o'clock with Rev. L. M. Sweet officiating, a quartette composed of Messrs. Beardsley and Croucher and Mrs. H. C. Mutschler and Mrs. Beardsley, sang. Services were held at the house previous to that time. Six active and six honorary bearers attended the casket.

From Shortsville Enterprise 2 February 1938

The death of Mrs. Marian Birch, wife of Benjamin Birch of Manchester, occurred at the Canandaigua hospital on Friday, following a short illness. She was aged 63 years. Mrs. Birch had been a residence of Manchester for the past two years. She is survived by her husband; one son, Leon Birch of Marion, and two grandchildren. Funeral services were held on Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock from the manse in that village, conducted by Leon L. Swarthout. At the time of her demise, Mr. Birch was confined to the Canandaigua hospital by illness.

From Ontario County Chronicle 30 April 1902

Chapinville, N. Y. - James Birchard,
an old and well-known resident of this place, died at his home early Friday morning in the 86th year of his age. He had lived here 35 years. He leaves five sons and four daughters. The funeral was held at the church Sunday morning at eleven o'clock; interment at Port Gibson.

From Ontario County Journal 1 March 1907

George R. Bird
died at his home on the County House road on Tuesday, aged 54 years. He leaves his wife and four children. The funeral was held yesterday afternoon, Rev. Ward Mosher officiating. The interment was in Woodlawn.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 29 January 1916

Palmyra, N. Y., Jan. 28 - George Bird,
one of the best-known citizens of this vicinity, died in his home in Port Gibson this morning. He was born in Port Gibson 78 years ago in the home in which he died, and where he has always lived. Besides successfully conducting his homestead farm, he was interested in carpentering and lived an active life up to the time of his his last illness. He was a valued member of Newark Grange, and a musician of marked ability. For many years he was chorister in the Methodist church. Two weeks ago, Mr. Bird became ill of grip, complications ensued, and he failed to regain his strength. He leaves his wife and his two sons, Elmer E. Bird of Palmyra and Otis Bird of Port Gibson; two grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren. The funeral will be held from his late home and from the Methodist church in Port Gibson on Monday afternoon at 3 o'clock. The Rev. Mr. Eberly, pastor of the Methodist church, will conduct the funeral from the church. Interment will follow in Port Gibson cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 14 July 1920

Gorham, N. Y. - 
The death of Harry Bird occurred at his home on Friday afternoon, age about 40 years. Mr. Bird had been ill for more than a year, and everything that medical skill could do was done for him, but all of no avail. He was a native of England. He is survived by his wife and two small children; one brother, Charles Bird; two sisters, Mrs. Harry Frary and Mrs. William Fake. The funeral was held from the M. E. church Monday, of which he was a consistent member. The beautiful floral emblems and the large number who attended the funeral attested to the esteem in which Mr. Bird was held.

From Ontario County Times 20 January 1886

Port Gibson, N. Y. - Oliver Bird,
born at Windsor, Mass., in 1808, died at his home south of the village Friday morning, January 8, having reached the advanced age of 77 years. For a long time he had not been well, and at times a great sufferer, especially the last week. In 1815, when the country was new, he came to this county with his father. Of an ambitious nature, they soon had a home, and in a few years bought the farm where he died. Mr. Bird was a man of wise counsel and a friend to all. He leaves a wife and three children, a daughter, Mrs. Young, resides in Syracuse; John and George live on the old farm. The funeral was held at the church Sunday morning, Rev. Mr. Wells, pastor of the family, officiating.

From Ontario County Journal 20 October 1893

Academy, N. Y. - Peter C. Bird
died at his residence on the morning of the 16th. He was about 81 years old and had lived here many years. One son, Peter F. Bird, and three daughters, Mrs. Goff of Academy, Mrs. Naracony of Victor, and Mrs. Jenkins of Vincent, survive him.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 26 January 1917

Canandaigua, N. Y., Jan. 25 -
The funeral of Peter F. Bird will be held at 1 o'clock tomorrow from the late home in Academy, about ten miles south of this city, and at 2 o'clock from the Academy Church, with Rev. W. E. Searles officiating. The interment will be in Academy cemetery. Mr. Bird died yesterday afternoon at the age of 69 years. Death was due to apoplexy. He leaves his wife, one daughter, Nina Winters of Canandaigua town; two sisters, Margaret Goff and Mrs. Betsy Naracon of Hemlock; one brother, James Bird of Michigan.

From Phelps Citizen 22 January 1903

Canandaigua, N. Y. -  Word comes here this afternoon of the death, in a Rochester hospital, of Gould Birdseye, a prominent fruit farmer, whose home is in Hopewell, near here. Deceased had been ailing for some time. He was aged 67 years. The survivors are his wife and one son, John W. Birdseye, of Hopewell.

From Geneva Gazette 25 February 1835

Died, in Hopewell, on the 22d inst., Mr. James Birdseye, aged 50. Nearly forty years ago, this hardy pioneer left Huntington, Fairfield Co., Conn., and took up his abode in the then western wilds of the Genesee country, subjecting himself to the fatigues and hardships incident to new settlements. His perseverance, enterprise, and skill in clearing the lofty growth of timber with which his land was covered, and in building and improving public roads and bridges, are seldom equalled. In his death, his family has lost a kind husband and a tender father.

From Geneva Daily Times 9 April 1910

Canandaigua, N. Y. -
The death of Joseph Birdseye, a prominent farmer of the town of Hopewell, occurred Thursday about 11 o'clock at his home in Hopewell, where he resided with his family. Two years ago he suffered a severe stroke of paralysis, from the effects of which he never recovered. Mr. Birdseye was born on the farm upon which he died August 29, 1833, so was 78 years of age. During his entire life he lived on the same farm and his father was also born on and a resident of the same farm. The farm was settled by a great-grandfather of Joseph Birdseye in the eighteenth century and has been owned and occupied by the Birdseye family ever since. In 1872 Joseph Birdseye was married to Candice Brundage of the town of Hopewell and a neighbor of the Birdseye family. He leaves his wife, one daughter, Mrs. Frank W. Hobart, and two nephews, Jasan B. Gates of Canandaigua and John W. Birdseye of the town of Gorham.

From Geneva Gazette 19 January 1883

Fatally Kicked by a Horse - Gorham, Jan 15, 1883. 
No hope was written on the kind physician's face after an examination of the wounds inflicted upon the body of Payson Birdseye caused by the kicks of a horse.  On Friday last deceased went to his barns as usual to do the chores, and upon entering the horse stable saw that one of the blankets had worked back on one of the animals.  He stepped into the stall beside the horse, and in replacing the blanket the horse resented the treatment.  As the stall was narrow the horse had the deceased at a disadvantage, and commenced kicking; and in his endeavors to protect himself and get away, Mr. B. received injuries resulting in his death.  He walked from the stable, and soon after he entered the house he sat down and drew off his boots remarking:  "I guess that I am hurt badly, worse than I thought," speaking to his wife.  He soon gave evidence to his anxious wife that such was the case. She hastily summoned a physician, but without avail, for already the shadow had come and settled on his brow. The angel had done its bidding.  Oh, how sad!  God help the widowed one, for she is all alone.  Other bereaved ones can sympathize with her, but what avail is human sympathy at such times?  The deceased was 44 years of age.

From Geneva Daily Times 12 February 1907

Canandaigua, N. Y. - Mrs. Ann Birmingham died Sunday at the home of her daughter, Mrs. John Hussey, on Phelps street, aged 80 years.  The cause of death was infirmity of age. She leaves besides her daughter, Mrs. Hussey, two sons, Hugh Birmingham of Waterville, John Birmingham, and a daughter, Miss Jennie Birmingham, all of Canandaigua.

From Geneva Advertiser Gazette 3 May 1906

Mr. A. C. Bischoff,
an old and well-known resident of Geneva, died of pneumonia last Thursday morning, aged 73 years. His wife died two years and a half ago. He could have had a home with his only surviving daughter, Mrs. Geo. Hattler of New York, but he liked Geneva too well to leave it. The daughter started on a fast train for Geneva as soon as she learned of the serious turn in his disease, but arrived a little over an hour after he breathed his last. The funeral was held last Saturday afternoon with burial in Glenwood.

From Geneva Daily Times 8 September 1903

Mrs. Mary Bischoff,
aged 69, died at her home, No. 44 Castle street, last evening at 7 o'clock. Burial Glenwood Cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 5 April 1910

Gorham, N. Y. -
This community was shocked to learn of the sudden death of Arthur Bishop, a farmer about 65 years of age, living a short distance south of the village on what is known as the Potter road. He was found dead in bed yesterday morning. Mr. Bishop was in the village Saturday evening apparently in his usual health and his death is attributed to heart disease.

Seneca Castle, N. Y. -  The people of this place were shocked to hear of the sudden death of Arthur Bishop, who resided on his farm, near Gorham. Yesterday morning Mr. Bishop was found dead in bed by his wife. Mr. Bishop and family resided in Seneca Castle for a number of years, where they are well-known. He moved out to the farm near Gorham about three years ago. He is survived by his widow and one daughter, Miss Satie, and one brother. He was about 68 years old. The funeral will be on Wednesday at 1 o'clock from his late residence. Interment will be in the Whitney cemetery east of Seneca Castle.

From Ontario County Journal 22 April 1887

Honeoye, N. Y. - Died on the 5th inst., Mrs. Aurelia Bishop, relict of Sheldon Bishop, at the age of 79 years. Some months ago she sustained a fracture of the hip bone from the effects of which she was slowly recovering, but a sudden attack of pneumonia did its work within three days on her enfeebled body. Funeral was held Friday at the Congregational church.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 27 October 1917

Phelps, Oct. 26 -
The death of DeWaine H. Bishop occurred Thursday afternoon at his home three miles southwest of Phelps on the Goodman road, after a long period of ill health. Mr. Bishop, who was 71 years of age, was born in the town of Manchester but had spent practically all his life in this community and thirty-eight years on the farm where he died. Surviving relatives are three children, Mrs. Rueben Beeman of Canandaigua, Mrs. William Bell and Mrs. M. E. Hoben of Phelps. The funeral will be held at 2:30 Saturday afternoon at the family home, Rev. W. H. York, pastor of the Phelps Methodist church, conducting the services. Interment will be in Rest Haven, Phelps.

From Geneva Daily Times 25 January 1932

Captain James Albert Bishop
died in the Dixon Sanitarium at 7 o'clock this morning where he has been for the past year suffering from a stroke of paralysis which he experienced nearly five years ago. For four years he was cared for by his wife and family, who lived on Seymour street, but owing to the failing health of Mrs. Bishop, who died ten months ago, he was removed to the home and has been confined to his bed since his entrance to the institution. He was born near Dresden over 88 years ago and removed to this city in 1864, and during the days of active navigation on Seneca Lake was a familiar figure in charge of the large boats that ran daily between Geneva and Watkins. In the troubleous days of the war most of the enlisted men going south to the battlefields were brought to Geneva and carried through the lake to the be taken south on the railroad running out of Watkins. Captain Bishop could relate reminiscences by the hour of the days when the steamers were crowded with the new soldiers and his recollection of boating on Seneca Lake was of the keenest. During his active days he was in charge of the General Schuyler, the D. S. Magee, the W. B. Dunning and other smaller craft and spent a short time on Keuka Lake. Tows in those days went through to Albany by horse power, but Captain Bishop was one of the first captains to take a small fleet down the Erie canal by steam all the way from Seneca Lake. Later it became a common occurrence. The last boat that he handled on the lake was the Otetiana, which ran from Geneva to Watkins as late as 1907. She was then sold to the Elmira Transportation Company and Captain Bishop thereafter devoted his time to managing the boat livery near the Long Pier. When established it was near the red building at the foot of Washington street, but when the concrete pier was built and the little bay filled in, now being used as a storage place for boilers, the building housing the livery was moved over across the towpath and set in the corner of the harbor. A few years ago fire destroyed the original building which was promptly replaced and has served as a boat livery, being in charge of Waldo Bishop, a son of its founder, up to within a short time. Captain Bishop is survived by three sons, Harry M., Waldo E. and David P., all of this city. There are also five grandchildren.

From Geneva Gazette 17 February 1882

Mrs. Jennie Bishop,
only daughter of Henry Bourn, died on Monday evening last, of fatal illness following maternity. She was a member of St. Peter's Sunday School in childhood, and a member of the Church in riper years - amiable of character and beloved of family and acquaintances. Her funeral took place from St. Peter's on Wednesday afternoon last.

From Geneva Daily Times 19 March 1943

Clifton Springs, N. Y. -  Mrs. Jessie Thompson Bishop,
widow of the late Joel Bishop, died at her home north of this village early this morning at the age of 96. She was born in the highlands of Scotland and came to this vicinity in 1860. She is survived by one son, Asher W. Bishop; two daughters, Mrs. John Dewey of Shortsville, and Miss Louise F. Bishop of this village; and two grandchildren. Funeral services will be held from her home on Saturday at 2 p.m. Rev. L. L. Swarthout, pastor of the Baptist church at Manchester, will officiate. Burial will be in Pioneer Cemetery.

From Phelps Citizen 5 August 1880

Of late years the wife of Sherman Bishop, who lives a half mile north of VanAuken's corners, in this town, has given evidence of temporary insanity, which however was not considered a serious or alarming matter. Given at times to a gloomy despondency, she would threaten to destroy her life, but no heed was taken of her threats by the family, save as they induced a more watchful care over her acts on the part of her husband.

At two o'clock Monday morning, Mr. Bishop, awakening from sleep, found to his surprise that his wife had left her bed. Fearing some evil, he at once arose and began to search about the house, but no trace of her was found. At midnight she was still sleeping, and he knew that she could not have been gone longer than two hours. Lighting his lantern, he went to the brook that crosses his farm a few rods from the house, but saw no evidence of her being there, and on his return to passing the well, which is covered with a curb, he noticed that the bucket had been drawn up and placed outside. The truth flashed upon his mind. Calling the members of the household, an examination was made. The entrance to the well is so small that it seemed hardly possible that she could have forced herself through. The bucket was lowered, and sank into the water without any obstruction, but when drawn up the water was seen to be very rolly. Again the bucket was lowered, but struck against some object before reaching the water. The lantern was now lowered and the body of the missing wife was taken out; every particle of her clothing had been removed before taking the fatal leap. By the fall she had been considerably bruised, and had evidently jumped feet foremost as her position would indicate.

Monday morning coroner Howe viewed the remains, and was convinced that it was a case of suicide, resulting from a fit of insanity, to which she was subject, and which was hereditary in the family. The deceased was a daughter of Joshua Jennings and first married Dennis Burnett, by which union two daughters survive her. In her widowhood, she was married to Sherman Bishop, with whom she lived for many years, and from whom she was separated by her tragic death. By her second marriage she leaves one daughter. The funeral services were held at the house Wednesday afternoon, and the remains were interred in the cemetery near their house.

From Ontario County Journal 24 December 1915

Stanley, N. Y. -
The death of Mrs. Charles Bissell occurred at her home, a short distance from this village, on Dec. 15, after a brief attack of acute indigestion. The funeral services were held from home and burial was made at Phelps, her former home. A husband and two sons survive.

From Ontario County Journal 26 May 1882

Richmond, N. Y. - Died, at Allen's Hill, on Saturday morning, May 20th, Mr. Daniel W. Bissell, in his 75th year. Mr. Bissell is the last one of the pioneers of the north part of our town. With the wife who has lived to mourn his loss, he had lived fifty-five years -- fifty of which time in the house in which he died. We are informed that there remains but one couple in our town who were married more than fifty-one years since, Mr. John Pennel and wife, at Honeoye.

From Shortsville Enterprise 14 July 1911

Shortly before six o'clock Sunday afternoon Edward Bissell, a well-known resident of Chapin, died at his home in that village, three miles south of Shortsville, of tuberculosis. He had been ill for more than a year. Mr. Bissell was a son of Carlos and Laura Bissell, and was born in Bristol, N. Y., fifty-seven years ago. By trade he was a carpenter. Thirty-three years ago he was married to Miss Mary Welch, of Ypsilanti, Mich., who survives him. For the past twenty-one years he has resided in Chapin. He was a member of Chapin Tent, K. O. T. M. He leaves his wife, one daughter, Miss Hazel Bissell, of Chapin, and one brother, Carlos E. Bissell, of Bristol; one half-brother, Ernest C. Bissell of Honeoye. The funeral was held from his late home on Main street, Chapin, at two o'clock Tuesday afternoon, the Rev. H. L. Gaylord, rector of St. John's Episcopal church, Canandaigua, officiating and interment followed in Woodlawn Cemetery, Canandaigua.

From Geneva Daily Times 29 April 1907

Phelps, N. Y. - Ernest E. Bissell, a highly respected and esteemed young man of this place, died Saturday at the hospital at Canandaigua. His death followed an operation that he underwent a week previous. Five years ago, Mr. Bissell was united in marriage to Miss Edith Veeder of Clyde. His widow and one little daughter survive. He also leaves his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Bissell of Phelps; and two brothers, Clarence of Rochester, and Lorenzo, of Phelps. He was 27 years of age. The remains were brought to the home of his parents on Newark street and the funeral will be held tomorrow afternoon, Rev. W. E. Doughty, of the Methodist Episcopal church officiating.

From Geneva Daily Times 8 October 1934

Phelps, N. Y. -  Mrs. Josephine Bissell,
83, widow of the late Thomas Bissell of Phelps, died Sunday morning at the family home in Quarry street. She had been in failing health for the past month. Mrs. Bissell was born in the town of Benton and had lived in Phelps and vicinity for the past fifty years. Surviving are six sons, Seth, Edward, Thomas, George, and Silas, all of Phelps, and Frank of Rochester; two daughters, Mrs. Pearl Kimball of Canandaigua and Mrs. John Mullens of Rochester; and two sisters, Mrs. Mary Sheppard of Rushville and Mrs. William Thompson of Naples. Funeral services will be conducted at the home at two o'clock Tuesday afternoon with burial in Rest Haven cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 19 November 1897

Phelps, N. Y. - Mrs. Ruth A. Bissell
died on Tuesday evening of heart trouble, at the home of her son, Charles, at the corner of Newark and Mary streets, aged 87 years. Two sons and six daughters survive. The funeral was held yesterday forenoon at 10 o'clock, and interment was made in the old cemetery. Rev. Mr. Beardslee of the M. E. church officiated.

From Ontario County Journal 26 April 1901

The death of Mrs. Clara Bissett, widow of Robert M. Bissett, occurred at her home on upper Main street at a late hour on Saturday night. Death came after two weeks of illness. The deceased was born in Scotland and came with her husband and children to this village in 1872 and settled in the house where the family have since resided. The surviving members of the family are four sons, George, Thomas, Robert and Andrew, all of this place; and two daughters, Misses Christina and Elizabeth, also of this place. The funeral was held from the home on Tuesday afternoon, Rev. J. Q. Adams officiating.

Return to Ontario County Homepage

Copyright 2004-16, Ontario County NYGenWeb and each contributor and author of materials herein. All rights reserved.