From Geneva Daily Times, December 26, 1929, page 9

Word has been received here of the death on December 15th of Alan Barber, the infant son of Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Barber of Sharon, Mass. Mrs. Barber will be known to Genevans as Miss Lida Thatcher, daughter of Dr. and Mrs. R. W. Thatcher, former director of the New York State Experiment Station. Thanks to Martha McGill for this contribution.

From Geneva Gazette 22 April 1892

Suicide by Drowning -
On the trip of the Otetiani last Wednesday forenoon, and when about opposite Lodi, Alonzo Barber of Geneva, a passenger who had bought a ticket for Watkins, leaped from the boat into the lake and was drowned. The fatal leap was witnessed, the boat stopped and a small boat was lowered and manned to effect a rescue if Barber would rise to the surface.  The lake at that point is very deep -- 100 feet or more -- and a body seldom rises or is ever found that has met death by drowning there.

The deceased sustained severe injuries in a coasting accident some years ago, and he has never been regarded quite right in his mind since.  Last fall he was the victim of varioloid, contracted while assisting in the burial of one of the Flint Creek small pox patients.  Soon after convalescing, he attempted suicide by poisoning.  He had been kept under somewhat close surveillance until showing such marked improvement that watchfulness became somewhat relaxed, with the sad denouement herein chronicled.  The unfortunate suicide was the oldest son of the well known undertaker, Wm. C. Barber, aged about 36 years. The deceased leaves a widow to whom he was married within the past year. Burial Glenwood Cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 29 April 1898

Naples, N. Y. - Mrs. Delia Barber
died on Sunday evening, aged 72 years. She was one of the old Naples families of that name and nearly the last one. Her father was Zacheus Barber, who had ten children. She leaves two daughters, Mrs. Charles S. Sutton of this village, and Mrs. Alick Penney of Livonia.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 6 February 1907

Stanley, N. Y. - Eben A. Barber
died at his home here Wednesday morning, January 30th, aged 51 years, after an illness of less than 48 hours with pneumonia. The community is saddened and has lost an honored citizen. The death is particularly sad as Mr. Barber's father, Ira Barber, died only four days earlier, Jan. 26th, at his son's home here. Mr. Barber leaves a wife, an adopted daughter, Mrs. Agnes Hotchkiss of Schenectady; and four sisters, Mrs. Mary S. Saunders of Prattsburg, Mrs. Emma A. Lown of Benton, Mrs. Elizabeth Douglas of Anadarko, Oklahoma, and Mrs. Sarah I. Beales of Geauga county, Ohio. The funeral was held from the late home at 11 a.m. Saturday. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. A. H. Knight of the Gorham Baptist church with burial at Nettle Hollow Cemetery, near Potter Center.

From Geneva Gazette 11 January 1889

Obituary - On Sunday morning last, after a short illness, occurred the death of Mrs. Eliza Sophia Stewart Barber, wife of our estimable fellow townsman, Mr. W. C. Barber. Mrs. Barber was born in Cookstown, County Tyrone, Ireland, on November 26th, 1830, and was accordingly 58 years, 2 mos., and 10 days old at the time of her death. At an early age she came to this country with her parents, and on July 4th, 1849, she was married to Mr. Barber, the ceremony being performed at Lyons, N. Y.  Soon afterwards Mr. and Mrs. Barber removed to this village where they have since resided. Mrs. Barber was the mother of six children -- William S., Alonzo H., Mrs. C. McMillan of Canandaigua, Clarence J. of Auburn, Mrs. P. A. Lerch of Fayette, and Mrs. R. T. Reynolds of this village, who are all living with the exception of William. Mrs. Barber was a model mother, indulgent in most things and faithful in every duty affecting the moral training of her children. Her home life was particularly happy, and she took more pleasure in her children and their training than in the behests of society. To her husband she was not only a loving and faithful wife, but a practical helpmeet in every sense of the word, in whose business she not only took an active but also a practical interest. Beloved by all who had the pleasure of her acquaintance, her sudden and unexpected death is a sad blow to her friends and an irreparable bereavement to her sorrowing children and husband. The funeral services were held on Tuesday last, interment being made in Glenwood Cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 28 May 1907

Miss Harriet Barber died last evening at 8 o'clock at her home, No. 120 Cherry street. She is survived by one brother, A. H. Barber, of Kansas, and two sisters, Misses Minnie and Clara Barber, both of this city. The funeral will be held Friday afternoon from the house at 3:30 o'clock. Rev. W. W. Weller will officiate and interment will be in Washington Street Cemetery.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 30 January 1907

Stanley, N. Y. - Ira Barber
died at the home of his son, Eben Barber, on Saturday, of bronchial pneumonia, aged 88 years. Deceased had been ill but a short time. He is survived by a family of five children, Mary L. Launders of Prattsburg; Sarah L. Beales of Geoga county, Ohio; Elizabeth A. Douglas of Anadarko, Oklahoma; Emma Lown of Benton; and Eben A. Barber of Stanley. The funeral will be held at 10 a.m. Tuesday at the home of his son with interment at Potter.

From Geneva Daily Times 6 October 1916

Naples, N. Y. -
Yesterday morning in her home in Mechanic street occurred the death of  Mrs. J. E. Barber, after an illness of only a few days of pneumonia. Mrs. Barber was born in Lyons in 1844, but had lived in Naples since her marriage to John E. Barber, who died many years ago. She leaves two sons, John and Irving, both of Naples; one sister, Mrs. Elizabeth Guilkey of Geneva, and niece, Mrs. Hiram Thalman of Geneva.

From Geneva Daily Times 14 November 1903

Phelps, N. Y. - James Barber,
a well-known and highly respected citizen, died Friday morning after a brief illness. Mr. Barber was born here and was a life-long resident. He was seventy-five years of age and is survived by his widow and one daughter, Mrs. Eugene Griffith of Savannah. The funeral will be held Monday afternoon.

From Victor Herald 24 March 1905

Our community was saddened Monday by the death of a highly respected citizen, John Barber, who moved here from Mt. Morris one year ago. Mr. Barber had been in poor health for some time, due to a cancerous growth of the stomach. He leaves besides his wife, one son and three daughters. His remains were taken Thursday morning to Mr. Morris, where interment was made.

From Ontario County Journal 15 May 1896

Naples, N. Y. - John S. Barber,
one of Naples' oldest retired business men, died Monday evening, May 11, aged nearly 78 years. He was born in Seneca county, removed to Phelps when young, came to Naples in 1852, and associated himself in business with his brother-in-law, A. T. Nelson. They were in the hardware trade and were together eleven years. His first wife died some twenty-five years ago and he married Miss Waddell of Phelps who survives him; also two sons of his second wife. His death was due to paralysis which came upon him suddenly the Saturday before. Funeral services were held at the house at 3 p.m. Wednesday, and the remains were then taken to Phelps for burial, after services there Thursday morning. Ex-sheriff Corwin and daughter, Mrs. John A. Coe, James Barber and other relatives were present at the services here.

From Ontario County Journal 11 April 1890

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - Luther Barber, an old and highly respected citizen, passed to his reward Thursday, April 3d, aged 72 years. Deceased was an energetic, hard-working business man, and his interests had been with the people of this community for more than fifty years. For years he had been interested in the nursery business, and few men were better known throughout Western New York. Upon all questions touching fruit, he was considered good authority and frequently consulted. He was honored and respected by all who knew him. Funeral services were held at the M. E. Church on Saturday at 2 p.m., Rev. P. M. Harman officiating. His remains were followed to their last resting place by a large number of sorrowing friends.

From Ontario County Journal 28 May 1909

Rushville, N. Y. -
On Wednesday morning, at her home three miles south of this village, occurred the death of Mrs. Sarah Barber, widow of the late Jonathan Barber. The deceased was 78 years of age and had lived on the farm where her death occurred 61 years. She was the daughter of John and Huldah Price, of Livonia, being one of a family of six children, only one, Mrs. Lucy Butler, of Conesus, still living. On Oct. 4, 1848, she became the bride of Jonathan Barber, of Potter, the invitations to the wedding bidding the guests to come at "early candlelight." They began housekeeping on the farm where her death occurred, and which was also the birthplace of her husband. He lived to celebrate their 50th anniversary. Mrs. Barber was a woman of strong affections and tender sympathies, and was a devout Christian, having for many years been a member of the Methodist church at Potter. Of the four children born to them three are living: Mrs. William Yexley, of Wellsville; Mrs. Michael Bragan and Mrs. Charles Neff of Rushville.

From Geneva Daily Times 4 June 1904

Rushville, N. Y. - Virgil Barber,
aged seventy years, died at the home of Mrs. Ann Francisco, at two o'clock Friday morning, of heart trouble, after a long and severe illness with a complication of diseases. He is survived by three sons, Charles of this place; Edward, of Newark Valley, N. Y., and Asa, of Richmond, Va. His wife died April 21, 1903. He was a member of the G. A. R., and of the M. E. church in this place.

From Geneva Gazette 12 May 1893

Mrs. Warren G. Barbour
died at her residence on North Main street last Wednesday, of lingering consumption. Deceased has been a widow for several years and dies childless.  She was a daughter of the late Wm. Van Liew, and aged nearly or quite 70 years.  She leaves some property.

From Ontario County Journal 17 April 1896

Naples, N. Y. - Mrs. Cyrus Bardeen,
who was taken to Willard asylum on Saturday, April 4, died a week from that day. The circumstances bearing upon her insanity, and her sad death, created much feeling, and on Monday the burial ceremonies were stayed by a movement on the part of the brothers and other relatives of the deceased for an autopsy to decide whether or not she had been foully dealt with. The husband has consented, and Coroner Wettling may order it.

From Ontario County Journal 10 February 1899

Naples, N. Y. - Mrs. Emma Mack Bardeen,
wife of Cyrus G. Bardeen, died at her home in this town Feb. 2, aged 18 years. She had been married two years, and left a child six months old. The burial was at Ingleside where her parents dwell.

From Geneva Daily Times 29 April 1904

Canandaigua, N. Y. -
Coroner Warner's investigation yesterday afternoon of the death of Leon Bardeen, whose dead body was found in the Thompson woods, northeast of the village, developed that he came to his death by strychnine poisoning, administered by his own hand while temporarily deranged. Bardeen, who has a brother living in Naples and another at Avon, had acted strangely for several days; so say the family of N. O. Stone, with whom he lived and for whom he had worked. He came to town Wednesday and was seen about the village all the afternoon. Yesterday morning his body lay in the woods with a paper bearing the label of strychnine lying beside it. Dr. Warner caused an autopsy to be held at the Curtice undertaking establishment and ten grains of the poison were found in the stomach. Deceased was aged about 26 years. It was at first stated that he had a father living in Geneva, but this proved to be unfounded. Arrangements will be made later for the disposal of the remains.

From Geneva Daily Times 8 September 1903

The funeral of Miss Adelaide Maine Barden, the 30-year-old adopted daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. J. Barden of Stanley, who died Saturday night, was held at her late home this afternoon at 2 o'clock. The burial was at Sodus.

From Ontario Republican Times 11 March 1863

Died, at camp near Union Mills, Va., February 23d, of typhoid fever, Corporal James M. Barden, Co. F 126th Regt., N. Y. S. Vol's, aged 18 years, son of Sylvanus Barden, Seneca, N. Y. Thus another sacrifice has been offered upon our country's altar; another contribution has been added to the rich legacy of noble sacrifices and high example which the present national struggle is bequeathing to future generations. It is fitting that public mention should be made of one who has labored, suffered and died for the public welfare, that we may know the cost of our institutions and of our liberty, and that others may be roused to like noble deeds. Barden enlisted in his country's service from pure and patriotic motives. Though young, he manifested a fixedness of principle rarely surpassed. The temptations and vices of the camp served rather to confirm than to unsettle his virtue. His comrades never heard an oath from his lips. Kindhearted, and modest even to diffidence, he won the good will of all. It is worthy of special notice that in all the hardships and dispiriting circumstances that have attended the 126th regiment, and which proved too strong for the weaker patriotism and the fainter courage of less brave hearts, Barden never uttered a complaint, and never met duty otherwise than with cheerfulness. 

From Geneva Gazette 18 February 1876

Levi Barden,
an old resident of Seneca, died on the 19th inst., aged 77 years.

From Geneva Daily Times 2 April 1904

S. Perry Barden,
a lifelong resident of this vicinity, died yesterday afternoon at his home in the town of Seneca, aged eighty-three. The deceased is survived by his widow, one son, W. A. Barden of Seneca, two daughters, Mrs. Isaac Ansley of Cambridge, Maryland, and Mrs. Leonard Fransue of Hall's Corners. The funeral will take place at 11 o'clock Tuesday from the house. Burial will be at Bellona.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 24 May 1905

Stanley, N. Y. - Salvenus Barden
died at his home northeast of Stanley on Wednesday afternoon about 4 o'clock. Mr. Barden suffered a paralytic stroke Friday, May 12, and has been in a very serious condition since that time. The funeral was held from his late home on Friday afternoon at 2 o'clock, Rev. A. H. Knight, Baptist minister, of Gorham, has charge of the services. Two son, Jay Barden of Stanley and George, of Penn Yan, and one daughter, Mrs. Alice Metcalf of Canandaigua, survive him. Mr. Barden was 87 years old.

From Geneva Daily Times 17 May 1910

Rushville, N. Y. -  Mrs. Ada Barker,
wife of Emmett Barker, died at her home in this village early yesterday morning at the age of 35 years. For several months she has been ill with tuberculosis. She was born in London, England, where her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Archer, reside. She leaves her husband and two little daughters, Eva and Thelma; her parents, and three brothers, two of whom live in London and the other of whom is a soldier located in North China. The funeral will be held Wednesday afternoon at 2 o'clock at the Congregational church.

From Shortsville Enterprise 11 March 1915

The death of Mrs. Charles Barker, who resided about three miles north of this village in Manchester township, occurred at her home on Tuesday afternoon of last week, aged 34 years. Her demise was occasioned by tuberculosis, and she had been in poor health for the past year. Mrs. Barker was the second daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James Tate, of Manchester township, and was born in the village of Manchester on November 16, 1880. Her entire life had been passed in this section, with the exception of four years spent in Rochester. She was married to Mr. Barker on December 18, 1895. Besides her husband, she leaves her parents, Mr. and Mrs. James Tate; two children, Bessie and George Barker; one brother, Joseph Tate of Manchester; and one sister, Mrs. Clara Trask of Buffalo. The funeral services were held from her late home last week Thursday morning and the burial followed in Brookside cemetery at this place.

From Ontario County Journal 31 March 1893

The death of Mrs. J. Albert Barker, formerly Julia P. Glass, occurred at her home on Mason street yesterday morning at 8 o'clock. The funeral will be held tomorrow afternoon. Mrs. Barker was thirty-nine years of age. The cause of death was pneumonia.

From Ontario County Journal 14 January 1910

Richmond, N. Y. -
It was with a feeling of sorrow that this community received the news of the death of George W. Barkley, which occurred at Memorial hospital, Canandaigua, on Jan. 6, where he went for medical treatment in November. It was a painful illness of nearly a year. He was the son of General Barkley, who received the state appointment and succeeded General Granger in the state militia. His mother was Laura Lusk of Victor. He was born in October, 1843, on the farm now owned and occupied by the family, which his father cleared from a wilderness in 1816. His father was one of the founders of the Methodist church, the first church built in Honeoye, and deceased was later a member. In later years he united with the Episcopal church at Decatur, Ill., his recent home. Mr. Barkley received his education at the Naples academy. He boarded with Mrs. Laura Clark, mother of Dr. Noah T. Clark, with whom he maintained a lifelong friendship. He finished his education at the Commercial college, Toronto. In 1866, he was married to Miss Alida Smith of Mt. Morris, who survives him; with two daughters, Frances, born in this town, now the wife of Dr. M. P. Parrish, head surgeon in the Wabash R. R. hospital, and three grandchildren; his youngest daughter, Mrs. G. B. White of Fort Hunter. Two brothers and two sisters survive: A. J. Barkley of Los Angeles, and T. J. Barkley, county judge of Dighton, Kas., Mrs. C. A. Millard of Richmond, and Mrs. G. W. Reed of Holcomb, at whose home the funeral service was held on Monday, Rev. W. D. Robinson officiating. Interment was in the family plot at Lakeview cemetery, Rev. Dr. Dill, Honeoye, officiating.

From Ontario County Journal 7 July 1893

Honeoye, N. Y. -
The coroner's verdict upon the death of Lafayette Barkley, who accidentally committed suicide by taking chloral, while temporarily insane from drink, was "paralysis of the heart, superinduced by an overdose of chloral, administered by his own hand."

From Ontario County Journal 7 April 1893

Honeoye, N. Y. - Mrs. Laura Lusk Barkley,
the widow of Gen. Thos. Barkley, died Monday, April 3, after a long illness, aged 79 years. The funeral was held from her late residence Thursday at 2 p.m., Rev. Mr. Day officiating. The burial was in Lake View by the side of her husband, whom she had survived for fourteen years.

From Geneva Gazette December 28 1888

Oaks Corners - 
  The funeral services of Mr. Charles Barlow were held at his late residence last Tuesday at 2 p.m.  Mr. Barlow had been ill but a few days, but that swift disease typhoid pneumonia did its fatal work.  The sorrowing family have the sympathy of the entire community.

From Ontario Repository and Messenger 10 May 1876

Edward Barlow
of Oaks Corners, aged about twenty-six years, died very suddenly on Sunday last. He had been suffering from inflammatory rheumatism. It had settled in his knee, which had become inflamed and mortified. It has been stated that his death resulted from an injection of morphine in the knee, to which he subjected himself before the doctor was summoned.

From Geneva Daily Times 2 March 1907

James Barlow, aged 75 years, died at 1:20 o'clock this afternoon at the home of his son, William A. Barlow, 83 Brook street. Death was from general debility. He is survived by William A. Barlow, and one daughter, Mrs. George Gasper.
Burial Glenwood Cemetery.

From Geneva Advertiser Gazette 29 March 1906

James E. Barlow
died at the home of his father, James Barlow, last Tuesday, aged about fifty years, leaving a wife and four children, two brothers and one sister, besides his parents. He had not been in good health for some time, and latterly his lungs were attacked, and he was carried off by consumption. Burial Glenwood Cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 21 December 1888

Rushville, N. Y. - The funeral of Mrs. H. Barnard was attended from her late residence on Main street on Thursday afternoon. She died at Gorham village Sunday, Dec. 16, at the residence of Mr. Collins Mape's. Her age was 52 years and 8 months. A daughter survives her.

From Ontario Repository & Messenger 3 January 1872

A terrible accident occurred last Friday morning at the Break O'Day Flouring Mills in Victor. It appears that the proprietor, John Barnard, was engaged in oiling some part of the machinery, while it was running, and by some means was caught by the left hand and drawn in among the wheels, and was crushed in a most horrible manner. Mr. Barnard was some time ago badly injured on the New York Central railroad, which passes within five rods of his mill, and since that time has not been considered able to do any labor, and how it was that he ventured in this place is regarded as strange by his family. Deceased was of English birth, and he was generally respected. He leaves a wife and a number of children.

From Ontario County Times 24 March 1875

Brief announcement was made in this paper last week of the death of Lemuel Barnard, on the 11th inst., in the ninetieth year of his age. Mr. Barnard was born in the village of Deerfield, Mass., near Connecticut River, July 20, 1785. Francis Barnard (or Bernard, as the name was then spelt), emigrated from England, in 1634, and settled in Hartford, Conn. After several years he moved to Hadley, Mass., where he died in 1698. Joseph, his son, went to Deerfield among the earliest settlers, and was killed by the Indians in 1695. His grave stone was the first erected in Deerfield, and is still standing. He left several children, among whom was Ebenezer, the grandfather of Mr. Barnard. He died in 1764. Salah, son of Ebenezer, was born in 1725 or 1726, and died 1795. When young he entered the army as a private, and rose to the rank of Major. He served during the French and Indian wars, 1745 to 1764, a period of nineteen years. He was married, in 1765, to Elizabeth Wines, had nine children, who, with the exception of two who died in infancy, all lived to an advanced age. Lemuel, the youngest and last survivor of this family, was born in Deerfield, July 31, 1785, and was educated at the academy in Deerfield under the tutorship of Prof. Hubbard. In 1805, he went to Canandaigua, and remained about a year, when he returned to his old home. In 1811, he again went to Canandaigua, and was married to Clorinda, daughter of Gen. Othuiel Taylor; returning again to Deerfield, where he spent the first four years of his happy married life. He then removed to Dansville, N. Y., and was engaged in the mercantile business till 1820, when he removed to Canandaigua. Shortly after this, in January. 1824, the sudden death of his wife fell with a crushing weight upon him, from which he never recovered. From the time of his return from Dansville he was a resident of Canandaigua to the time of his death, with the exception of some four years, from 1836 to 1840, mostly spent in Buffalo.

By the death of his wife, Mr. Barnard was left in a painful condition -- having cast upon himself alone, the care, culture and education of a large family of children, the youngest of which was yet an infant. Mr. Barnard had naturally an amiable disposition. During all his latter years he exemplified in his walk and conversation, those Christian virtues which evince a life
of faith. The emblem upon his coffin at the burial indicated that he died at a good old age, like a shock of corn fully ripe.

From Geneva Gazette 20 September 1850

In this village on the 6th inst., at the residence of her son, Mrs. Mary Barnard, in the 77th year of her age.  At a very early day she came to this town with her husband, Foster Barnard, from Northumberland, Mass.  At that time there were but one or two frame houses in the village, and much of the country adjacent, especially west of this place, was a wilderness.  In common with the early settlers, she encountered many trials, which she bore with fortitude.  Some twenty-five years since she made a public profession of religion, by uniting with the Presbyterian Church under the care of the late Dr. Axtell, her relation to which was exchanged at a later day for the communion of the Methodist Church.  She was the mother of twelve children, four of whom she buried in this place and one at Buffalo, and in 1844 followed her husband to the grave.  Her efforts to provide for the comfort of her husband during a long and tedious illness before his decease, together with other fatigues incident to a mother having the care of her own protracted illness, which for some time before her death seemed to impair the powers of her mind as well as prostrate her body.  She now sleeps, remembered with respect by all who knew her, and mourned by a numerous circle of relatives who once looked to her for counsel and support.

From Ontario County Chronicle 10 April 1901

Phelps, N. Y. - Edward Barnes, aged 73 years, died from a severe attack of the grip. He is survived by four sons, William Barnes of this place, Thomas Barnes of Newark, James Barnes of Palmyra and Ira Barnes of Lima; also two daughters, Rosette Barnes of Floral Park, L. I., and Mrs. Jessie Hoad of the state of Washington.

The Lima Recorder, March 1, 1888, page 1
Honeoye Falls Happenings, From the Gazette and Times.

Mr. Edward W. Barnes, of Shortsville, died at the residence of his sister, Mrs. Prentiss, in this village, on Monday last of pneumonia. His age was 61 years. The interment took place at Shortsville.

Thanks to Martha Magill for this donation.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 10 April 1907

Clifton Springs, N. Y. - 
The death of Norton Burr Barnes occurred yesterday morning at the home of his father-in-law, David M. Wells, Pleasant street, in this village. Mr. Barnes was born in Manchester and had lived his entire life in this vicinity. He had been employed in the Crown drill works in Phelps for the past three years and had made that place his home during that time. He was 33 years old and he was a member of the First Methodist church of Phelps. He married Miss Sadie Wells of Clifton Springs eight years ago, who, with his little daughter, Katherine, survive him. He is also survived by three sisters, Mrs. Lewis Hoad of South Bend, Wash.; Mrs. Edgar Wheat of Ramsey, N. J.; and Miss Rose Barnes of East Orange, N. J.; four brothers, James of Clifton Springs; William of Phelps; Thomas of Newark; and Henry of Carol, Mich. The funeral services will be held in the Methodist church in this village Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock. The employees of the Crown drill works of Phelps will attend in a body.

From Ontario County Journal 26 April 1889

Daniel Barnett,
an aged citizen of Victor, died instantly while sitting in his chair at home Monday afternoon. He was the father of the Rev. John W. Barnett of Wayland.

From Ontario County Journal 8 May 1896

Naples, N. Y. -
After several months of suffering, William Barnhart died at his home near the head of the lake on Tuesday evening, aged 60. A year ago he seemed in the prime of life and was actively engaged in fishing which afforded him a good income. His death is due to paralysis, and for several weeks there has been no hope of recovery. A widow and one son are left to mourn him.

From Ontario County Journal 17 February 1899

On Sunday morning, Mrs. Johanna Brace Barnum, died at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. Charles S. Hoyt, aged 86 years. Mrs. Barnum was a lifelong resident of Ontario county, her parents being among the earliest settlers in Victor township. The deceased was the wife of Major Jabez Barnum, who died nearly 50 years ago. She is survived by three daughters, Mrs. Charles S. Hoyt of this village; Mrs. Elizabeth Frease of Canton, Ohio; and Mrs. L. D. Covill of Rochester. The funeral was held from the Hoyt home on Tuesday afternoon, Rev. Asa Saxe, D. D., of Rochester, and Rev. C. J. Clausen of this village, officiating.

From Ontario County Journal 24 December 1897

Academy, N. Y. - Mrs. Martha Barnum,
wife of William M. Barnum, died on Tuesday morning at 5 o'clock. She did her housework on the previous day and retired in the evening in good health and spirits. Mr. Barnum was aroused by her hard breathing, and she said she was sick. He lighted the lamp and she gave one gasp for breath and died.

From Geneva Daily Times 20 January 1904

Shortsville, N. Y. - Mrs. Elizabeth Barrett,
widow of the late James Barrett, died at her home in this village Monday at 9 o'clock, after a long illness. Mrs. Barrett, who was born in Ireland seventy-four years ago, has been a resident of Shortsville for over fifty years. She is survived by a daughter, Mrs. Mary A. Shaw, of this village, one son, Frank, of Waterloo, two sisters, Mrs. Quigley of Rochester, and Mrs. O'Hara of Shortsville, and four grandsons, Edward, Daniel, Frank and John Shaw, all of this village. The funeral will be held at St. Dominick's church Thursday morning, Rev. Father O'Hanlon of Clifton Springs conducting the services. Interment will be made in the Catholic cemetery near Clifton Springs.

From Ontario County Journal 27 May 1887

Bristol Center, N. Y. - The funeral of Henry Barrett was held last Monday at 2:30 p.m. at the M. E. church, Rev. Mr. Whiteside of Lima officiating. Mr. Barrett was a member of the G. A. R., and the friends thought it would be in accordance with his desire to have a G. A. R. man give the address at the funeral. Mr. Wheelock assisted in the services. The church and coffin were draped with the stars and stripes. A large number of friends and the resident members of the G. A. R. attended to do honor to his remains.

From Geneva Daily Times 21 April 1905

Clifton Springs, N. Y. - Mrs. John Barrett
died at the home of her nephew, Claud VanHusen, in Rochester, Wednesday morning. Mrs. Barrett was seventy years of age, and has been a resident of this place for many years, and her was here. She was in Rochester on a visit and was expecting to return home Wednesday. She was taken suddenly ill on Tuesday. She was very active for a woman of her years and will be greatly missed by her many friends here. The funeral was held at the home of Mr. Van Husen in Rochester this afternoon at 3 o'clock with burial in the Mount Hope cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 22 March 1895

Bristol, N. Y. -
The funeral services of Ebenezer Barringer, a much esteemed citizen, who died Saturday , March 16, aged 79 years, took place at the Universalist church Tuesday afternoon, Rev. H. J. Orelup officiating.

From Ontario County Journal 6 March 1874

Died -
At his home in Bristol, on the evening of Thursday, the 26th ult., Henry Barringer, Jr., aged 57 years.  Thus has another active citizen of our town been called away in the midst of a busy life.  Mr. Barringer was attacked with the disease (pneumonia) which so suddenly terminated his life while in Canandaigua attending Court as a juror.  He stayed at the post of duty for several days when he ought to have been at home and in bed, and when he yielded it was but to come home to die. His death has left a void that can never be filled in his family, and it is sadly felt in the community in which most of his life had been spent, for he was a kind husband, an indulgent father, an obliging neighbor, a good citizen and an honest man. He left a widow and one daughter, who have, as they most richly deserve, the heartfelt sympathy of their many friends.  His funeral was attended at the Universalist Church on Sunday the 1st inst., and a sermon was preached to a crowded house by Rev. H. Jewell.

From Geneva Daily Times 4 October 1895

Announcement is made of the death of David Barron at his home in Seneca last night, at the age of 95 years, after an illness of eight weeks. Up to within four years of his death, he had not been sick a day, and was always distinguished for his robust health. He was well-known in Geneva, for he had lived 58 years on the farm where he died. Mr. Barron was born in Northumberland, England, on August 15th, 1800, and during the same year came to America. With the exception of 14 years spent in Caledonia and Bath, he has lived in this vicinity. In 1829, he was married to Mrs. Sarah Shaddock in Scottsville, Monroe county, who died fourteen years ago. He was the father of four children, none of whom are living, and is survived by several relations, one of whom is W. J. Barron of this place. The deceased leaves a large estate. The time of the funeral service is not yet been announced. Mr. Barron was a man most highly esteemed in the neighborhood, and had lived here longer than any foreign-born known in the state. He has a large acquaintance by whom his death will be lamented.

From Geneva Gazette 10 February 1888

On Monday, January 30th, Mrs. Mary J., wife of W. W. Barron of Seneca, died after a long illness.  She had been troubled for several years with heart disease, and while her death was not unexpected yet it had been hoped she would be spared to her husband and family for many years.  She was a conscientious Christian lady, and greatly esteemed by all who had the pleasure of her acquaintance for her many estimable qualities.  In their affliction the husband and family have the sincere sympathy of all.

From Geneva Courier 15 March 1882

Mrs. Sarah Barron
died at her home in Seneca, Ontario county, on the morning of Feb. 20th.  She was the daughter of Darius and Martha Shadbolt, and was born in Stillwater, Saratoga county, N. Y., Dec. 8th, 1801.  Was married in Wheatland Co. (her parents having removed there) March 22nd, 1827, to David Barron.  In the spring of 1832 they located on the south side of what was then known as the Widow Latta farm, (buying out Samuel Latta) on which they have resided nearly fifty years.  They had five children, three boys and two girls, all of whom are dead; the last one "Mary", died 1852.  Mrs. Barron has been confined to the house mostly for the last seven years, having broken her hip by a fall in the spring of 1875.

From Geneva Gazette 16 September 1892

Mr. Thomas Barron of Seneca has reached the advanced age of 90 years, and is probably the best-preserved man of his years in Ontario county.  As evidence we cite the fact that one day last week he walked across lots fully a mile and climbed a five-rail fence to call on his neighbor, Mrs. John Reed, and returned by the same route, all within two and one-half hours.
He was not over-wearied by the journey either.  His brother, David, is two years older, but shows more perceptibly his great age.  It is hoped both will remain with us many years.

Since the above was penned, we learn with regret that Mr. Barron has suffered a stroke of paralysis, which threatens a fatal result.

From Geneva Gazette 23 September 1892

Obituary -
Our venerable townsman, Thomas Barron, passed away at an early hour last Saturday morning.  In a "personal" last week, we referred to his advanced age of nearly ninety years, and to his achievement of walking a mile, climbing fences, etc., in visiting a neighbor; also to the fact that a day or two subsequently he was stricken down with paralysis.  Whether the attack was produced from over exertion on the occasion referred to, or from other causes incident to extreme age, we have not learned.  The sad denouement of his death is chronicled.

The deceased was the youngest of three brothers, whose father emigrated to America from England in the first year of this century, accompanied by his wife and two children, one of whom (David) still survives in the 93rd year of his age.  The old people soon found their way in 1801 to this comparative wilderness, coming by water route up the Mohawk and its tributaries through the Seneca Lock Navigation Co.'s channel to Seneca Lake.  They located on the very farm where, a year later, the subject of this notice was born.  Their first habitation was a log cabin with two small aperatures for a single pane of glass each. Thomas Barron continued in occupancy of this farm all through his long, contented and uneventful life.  

Two sons were born to him, both still living, namely John and William, the latter succeeding by occupancy to the farm. Wm. J. Barron, proprietor of the public sheds, is a nephew of deceased -- son of his oldest brother long since departed. The deceased was a well-read, well-intentioned man.  Up to 1854 he was in politics a pronounced Whig. When the bulk of the Whig party at the North became merged or absorbed into the Republican party, Mr. Barron followed the course of many Whigs like the Roses, the Nicholases, the Doxes, Slosson, Kipp and others, and found natural affiliations with the Democratic party, to which he was faithful to the last.

Mr. Barron was very kind-hearted, of a jovial nature, and enjoyed the esteem of every neighbor and acquaintance.  He had been twice married and survived both his marital companions.  His funeral took place Tuesday last and was very largely attended--interment in Glenwood cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 7 May 1908

William W. Barron,
aged 81 years, died last night at his home in Seneca where he has lived his entire lifetime. Two daughters survive him, Mrs. R. J. Plumb of Rochester and Mrs. L. A. Cooper of Seneca. The funeral will take place from the house at 2 o'clock Saturday afternoon. Rev. David H. Craver, pastor of the North Presbyterian church, will officiate and burial will be in Glenwood Cemetery.

From Shortsville Enterprise 9 December 1915

Walter M. Barry, of Grove street, mourns the death of his estimable father, Andrew J. Barry, which occurred at his home in Clifton Springs on Nov. 29. Mr. Barry and family attended the funeral services held last week Wednesday morning. The burial was in St. Agnes cemetery near Clifton Springs.

From Ontario County Journal 28 February 1896

East Bloomfield, N. Y. -
The funeral of John Barry, whose death occurred on Sunday at the home of his son, Richard Barry, was held at the St. Bridget's church on Tuesday at 10 o'clock. Rev. Father Donnelly of Victor officiated. Mr. Barry was 104 years old and leaves three sons, William, Richard, and Michael.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 9 April 1947

Mrs. Maranda Bennett Barry
of Victor entered into rest April 8. She is survived by her husband, John V. Barry; eight sons, Leo, Leonard, Walter, Bernard, Francis, Harold, Everett and Gordon; five daughters, Mrs. Walter Leary, Mrs. Isabel Murray, Mrs. Walter Timm, Mrs. Osborn Hunt and Mrs. Raymond Henehan, all of Victor; one sister, Mrs. William Washburn of Canandaigua; one brother, Allie Bennett of Victor; 13 grandchildren. The funeral will be held from her home on the Boughton Hill Rd., Friday morning at 8:30 and at 9 o'clock from St. Patrick's Church. Interment in St. Bridget's Cemetery, E. Bloomfield.

From Geneva Daily Times 14 April 1905

Clifton Springs, N. Y. -
The death of Matthew Barry, seventy-eight years old, occurred at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Charles Morphy, on Broad street, yesterday. He died from the effects of a paralytic stroke. Mr. Barry has been a resident of this village for the past fifty years. He is survived by seven children, four sons and three daughters. The funeral services will be held tomorrow morning from the St. Felix church and burial will be in St. Agnes cemetery, west of this village.

From Ontario Messenger 6 April 1853

Man Killed - A man named Michael Barry, living in East Bloomfield, was instantly killed on the C. & N. F. R. R. on the 29th ult., about a mile west of this village. In attempting to jump upon the tender of the gravel train, while the train was in motion, he slipped and fell upon the track, and all the cars in the train passed over his body. Coroner Royce held an inquest on the body the same day, and from his statement of the verdict we gather the above facts.

From Victor Herald 9 May 1891

A farmer named Michael Barry, of East Bloomfield, was killed by the 7:10 o'clock eastbound train on the "Peanut" railroad while walking on the track near the Buffalo street crossing, just west of Canandaigua, Wednesday evening. He was probably on his way home and was walking toward the engine. Engineer William Walling saw him long before he struck him, and supposing of course that Barry would leave the track, made no attempt to stop his train, but blew his whistle several times. Just before the engine struck Barry, he stepped outside of the track and was hit by the bumper in his right side. He was thrown down an embankment of ten feet. The train was stopped immediately, but when the engineer reached Barry, he was dead. His side was badly smashed, his right arm was broken and on the left side of his face he sustained a deep cut, the latter being the result of the fall. The body was taken to Canandaigua and placed in the baggage room. Coroner Beahan was summoned and a jury empanelled. Barry was about 62 years old, married and had a family of grownup children.

From Victor Herald 21 September 1900

East Bloomfield, N. Y. -
Last Sunday, occurred the death of Mrs. Michael Barry, widow of the late Michael Barry, after an illness of ten days, at the age of fifty-six years. Funeral services were held at St. Bridget's church Tuesday morning, Rev. P. A. Neville officiating. Interment was made in the Catholic cemetery. There was a large attendance at the funeral.

From Shortsville N.Y. Enterprise Wednesday, October 26,1938

Walter M. Barry Passes away

His friends were deeply shocked on Thursday morning to learn of the sudden passing of Walter M. Barry at his home in Grove street. While he had been in poor health for several months, he had been able to work most of the time, and had been confined to his bed about a week before the death summons. He was in his 63rd year.

Mr. Barry was born January 6, 1875, at Clifton Springs, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Matthew Barry. For the past 25 years he had been resident of Shortsville, being in the employ of  Papec Machine Company the major portion of this time. He had also conducted a meat market and grocery store in Water street for about a year. He was a faithful member of St. Dominic's Church, and not only active in all church societies, but for more than 19 years had been the chorister.

He was also deeply interested  in civic affairs, and had served the village as one of its Trustees for the past 5 years. He was appointed clerk of the Board of Education of Shortsville High School in 1934, and held both positions at the time of his death. He was also a member of Citizens Hose Company.

He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Florence Barry of Grove street, his daughter,  Mrs. Herbert Peters, of Ithaca, and a sister, Mrs. Rosetta Morphy of Buffalo. Funeral services were held from his home in Grove street on Saturday morning at 9 o'clock and from St. Dominic's Church at 9:30, conducted by the pastor, the Rev. John Napier. Burial was made in St. Rose cemetery. The bearers were Cornelius M. Mack, Harry M. McVittie, Frank H. Sweeney, B. Bennet Brown, Walter Clark, all of Shortsville

Many thanks to Elizabeth Yann for this contribution.

From Ontario County Journal 30 November 1888

Mr. and Mrs. Henry Bartack

A terrible accident occurred in Geneva last week resulting from the pernicious practice of building fires in stoves by the aid of kerosene. Early Thursday morning, Mrs. Henry Bartack, wife of a German employee of the Herendeen Works, started the fire in the kitchen stove, and as it didn't burn readily, she applied the deadly kerosene. As she poured the oil on the fire an explosion occurred and a quantity of the oil spattered over her and ignited from the flames. She was in an instant enveloped in roaring flames, and her husband who arose and rushed half-dressed to her assistance soon became a mass of flames himself from contact with her. In his frenzy he jumped through a window cutting himself severely. The frantic woman imagined the house was on fire and hastened to a crib in which her two little children were sleeping, and in her endeavors to carry them out, they were horribly burned. Assistance soon arrived and the flames which had almost entirely consumed the clothing of Bartack and his wife were extinguished, but not before they had been fatally burned. Mrs. Bartack died Friday morning and her husband followed her 24 hours later. The children were taken to the Church Home Hospital and it is hoped that they will recover although they were badly burned.

From Geneva Gazette 1 December 1893

OBITUARY - Frederic A. Barth
died at his residence, corner of North Main and Lewis streets, at half past 11 o'clock Wednesday night, of paralysis. The deceased was a native Prussian and came to this country in early youth. He has been a resident of Geneva for at least 30 years.  His occupation was that of a barber.  Enjoying a good patronage his earnings were frugally saved, enabling him to acquire a goodly property.  His business stand has been in or very near the Kirkwood in all the years of his labors.  For some time past Joseph Pliltz has been associated with him.  Some six or eight weeks ago, Mr. Barth had a slight stroke of paralysis which was followed at intervals by two more of greater severity, the last one as stated terminating fatally.  The deceased leaves a widow and three grown-up children, two sons and one daughter.  His youngest daughter died about two years ago. Mr. Barth was a communicant of St. Peter's Church and for many years a member of its Vestry.  His entire family belong to the same communion.  They have been sorely afflicted of late, as in addition to that fatal illness which has stricken down the husband and father, the only son at home has been prostrated on a bed of sickness for several weeks, the nature of his disease being such as to quarantine him against the visits and deprive him of the companionship of friends while prostrated. The funeral of Mr. Barth will take place Saturday from the house, at 2:30 P. M. Burial Glenwood Cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 30 December 1892

Another suicide in the lamentably long list of those which have been chronicled during the past year, occurred in Bristol street Wednesday evening. The death is wrapped in considerable mystery, but the following facts have been gleaned from the family: Mrs. Minnie Kaufman Barthlemes, a daughter of Louis and Mary Kaufman, of Bristol street, was sitting Wednesday evening in the living room of her parents' home. George Freistueck, who has recently entered the employ of John Gartland in his meat market, and was engaged to Mrs. Barthlemes, was calling upon her. She had just been giving Mr. Freistueck a narrative of her Christmas visit to Rochester, when, about 11 o'clock, she suddenly arose and passed into the kitchen in the rear. A moment later she rushed quickly back into the living room and told Mr. Freistueck that she had swallowed poison. She also told him to call her mother at once. Then she went to the back part of the house. Mrs. Kaufman and Mr. Freistueck quickly followed, and found Mrs. Barthlemes vomiting violently. Dr. Jas. Hawley was at once summoned, and arrived at the house shortly after 12 o'clock. Prompt and energetic measures were taken to secure the entire ejection of poison from the system, but efforts were unavailing. The heart soon became affected, and a quick failing of its action resulted in death in about 10 minutes after 1 o'clock. Questioned by Dr. Hawley and her mother, Mrs. Barthlemes said that she had swallowed the entire contents of a box of rat poison, probably in all over an ounce. She had then thrown the box into the fire. The poison had been purchased in Rochester.

Mrs. Barthlemes was married before she was sixteen years of age, her husband dying about a year after the marriage. Seven years have elapsed since that time, Mrs. Barthlemes being at the time of her death nearly 24 years old. Since her husband's death, she has lived part of the time in Rochester. No member of the family could assign any reason for the suicide. Mrs. Barthlemes shortly after taking the poison, told her mother that she had a reason, but would not tell it, despite earnest solicitation. For several weeks she had been unusually quiet, her natural disposition being quite different. This fact was noticed by more than one person, and had been mentioned to the mother, who, however, failed to attach any importance to it. The theory of insanity is not advanced by the family, nor does such a theory seem tenable, as she had acted and talked with perfect rationality up to the time when she took the poison, and also from that time till she lost consciousness. The remains will be conveyed to Batavia, the former home of the family, where the interment will take place.

From Geneva Gazette 30 December 1892

Suicide at Canandaigua - Mrs. Minnie K. Bartholomay,
a young widow 24 years of age, committed suicide Wednesday night by taking a dose of "Rough on Rats."  She left her "company," a young man to whom it is intimated she was engaged, and during the brief absence swallowed the fatal dose and returned to his presence.  When the poison took effect and her manner changed she confessed the act.  A physician was promptly summoned who exerted himself to the utmost to save her life but without avail.  She died between 2 and 3 o'clock in the morning.  When asked as to the cause, she replied that she had no wish to live any longer and was forced to self-destruction for reasons which she refused to reveal, and felt no regret over her act.  A coroner's jury will investigate the matter.

From Ontario County Journal 20 January 1888

Naples, N. Y. - Aaron Bartholomew, an old and prominent resident of Garlinghouse, in this town, died on Tuesday at the age of 78 years. Some two weeks since, his grandson pared a corn upon the toe of his grandfather, and shaved so closely that the blood flowed. Blood poisoning from this slight cause has resulted in his death.

From Ontario County Journal 1 April 1898

Naples, N. Y. - Mrs. Ann Bartholomew,
widow of the late Aaron Bartholomew, died at her home in Garlinghouse Saturday, aged 86 years. She was the best known woman in that locality and was greatly beloved, having been there, a mother in Israel for 59 years. She was a sister of the late Judge Wm. Briggs of Penn Yan. Five children, a host of grandchildren and ten great-grandchildren survive her.

From Geneva Daily Times 18 February 1908

Mrs. Louise Bartholomew,
wife of Bert C. Bartholomew, died this morning at the family residence, No. 6 Burrall avenue. She was 26 years old and besides her husband, she is survived by one son, 2 years old, and her parents, Mr. and Mrs. N. E. Bailey. A prayer will be said at the house tomorrow evening at 7:30 o'clock. The remains will be taken Thursday morning on the 9 o'clock L. V. R. R. train to Van Etten, where the funeral will take place from the Methodist church.

From Ontario County Journal 13 September 1889

Naples, N. Y. - The death of Wm. Bartholomew was sad and excited much sympathy. He was thrown from his wagon two months ago in a runaway and his leg was injured. He suffered a great deal with it, but did not realize its condition until a week ago. Dr. Parker was called in and found the leg rotten. It had evidently been neglected. Dr. Beahan, of Canandaigua, was consulted and amputation was decided upon. On Thursday the operation was performed, but it was too late, and the poor man died Friday morning. The deceased was highly esteemed; was a hard working, honest man; had a large family; was elected town collector last spring. By arduous army service his constitution had been weakened. An immense number of friends attended his funeral at his home in Garlinghouse on Sunday.

From Victor Herald 6 February 1903

Bristol, N. Y. -
Word was received here yesterday of the death of Mrs. Benj. Bartlett. She has been in poor health for some time but was thought to be some better. On Saturday night about midnight, she had a shock and died in a very short time. She is survived by her husband and two children, Mrs. William Simmons and Eugene Symonds. The funeral was held from her late home at Bristol Center on Tuesday at 11 a.m. Burial was made here in the Evergreen cemetery.

From Geneva Gazette 31 May 1878

Sudden Death -
On Thursday morning of last week, John Bartram, an aged citizen of Phelps, was found dead in a field where he had been mowing grass.  The deceased was about eighty years old, a native of Germany, and had been in this country about forty years.  Having lived in the town of Phelps about twenty-eight years, he was quite well-known, and is spoken of as a very quiet, honest old man.  On Friday, Coroner Shannon was notified of the unexplained death, and proceeded to hold an inquest. The body, which had been already buried, was disinterred.  The investigation was concluded on Monday, the jury finding that the deceased came to his death from congestion of the lungs, superinduced by a diseased condition of the heart.

Return to Ontario County Homepage

Copyright © 2004-10, Ontario County NYGenWeb and each contributor and author of materials herein. All rights reserved.

Updated 10 July 2010