Taken from HISTORICAL AND STATISTICAL GAZETTEER OF NEW YORK STATE;
H. French; 1860; R. P. Smith, publisher; Syracuse NY;
Town of Bristol
Bristol1 was formed in Jan. 1789. South
Bristol was taken off in 1838, and a part was annexed to Richmond,
March 23, 1848, and restored Feb. 25, 1852. It is an interior
town, lying s.w. of the corner of the co. Its surface consists of
a series of
ridges, gradually declining to the n. The highest points are
500 feet above the valleys. These ridges are divided by the deep
of Mud Creek and Egypt Brook. The declivities that border upon
streams in the s. part are usually very steep. The soil is a rich
alluvial upon the intervales and disintegated slate and shale among the
Bristol Center (p. v) contains 30 houses; Baptist Hill2
(Bristol p. o.) 25; and Muttonville3 15. Egypt
is a hamlet in the s.e. part. Gamaliel Wilder and Joseph
Gilbert settled in 1788, at what was called the "Old Indian
Orchard."4 The first religious services were performed
by Rev. Zadock
Hunn, in 1793. There are now 4 churches in town.5
1. Named from Bristol co., Mass., from which the first
2. So named because a Baptist church was erected there at an
3. Derives its name from the establishment of a tallow
chandlery there some years since. 30,000 sheep have been
slaughtered there in a year.
4. William Gooding and George Codding settled
in 1789, James, Elnathan, and George Gooding in 1790, and Alden
Sears and John, George, Farmer, Burt and William Codding in
first store and tavern were opened by Stephen Sisson, in 1793; Gamal.
Wilder built the first gristmill, in 1790. Cornelius McCrum was
the first child born.
5. Bap., Cong., M. E., and Univ.
Town of Canadice
Canadice6 was formed from Richmond, April 15, 1829,
and a part was annexed to Richmond in 1836. It is the s. w.
corner town of the co. Its surface consists of a high, broken
into two ridges by Canadice Lake. The w. ridge, known as Bald Hill, is
bordered by steep declivities, and the e. by more gradual slopes. The
highest summits are about 700 feet above Honeoye Lake. The
principal streams are the Canadice Inlet and Outlet and the Honeoye
Inlet. The soil in the valleys is a clayey loam; upon the
declivities of the hills it is mostly disintegrated shale and slate,
and upon the summits in the s. part it consists of gravelly loam and
black muck. Canadice Corners (p. o.) is a hamlet,
forming the business center of the town. The first settlement was
made by — Kimball, in 1807.7 There are now 3 churches
6. This name is a corruption of the Indian name of Canadice
7. Soon after, John Wilson settled at the head of
Canadice Lake, and John Richardson, John Wheeler, Samuel Spencer, and
And. Ward near Canadice Corners. The first tavern
was kept by Llewelyn Davis; and Severance &
Ford opened the first
store. The first sawmill was built at the head of Canadice Lake,
8. M. E., Meth. Prot., and Wes. Meth.
Town of Canandaigua
Canandaigua1 was formed Jan. 27, 1789, and
annexed to Gorham, March 16, 1824. It is the central town of the
lying upon the w. and n. shores of Canandaigua Lake. The surface
hilly in the s., but level or gently rolling in the n. The
are about 600 feet above the lake. Canandaigua Outlet, Beaver
and Stevens Brook are the principal streams. The soil is a clayey
in the n. and a deep, gravelly loam in the s., and in fertility this
ranks among the first in the State. Canandaigua, (p. v.,)
at the outlet of Canandaigua Lake, is an important station on the N. Y.
R. R., and a terminus of the N. F. & C. Branch and of the E. J.
C. R. R. A daily steamer connects it with Naples, at the head of
lake. It contains the co. buildings,2 a State Arsenal,3
5 churches, an academy,4 a female seminary,5 a
private lunatic asylum,6 3 newspaper offices, and a
bank. It was incorp. April 18, 1815, and has a pop. of 4,154.7
Cheshire, (p. v.,) in the s. part, contains 20 dwellings. Centerfield
o.) is a hamlet, and Academy, near the s. line is a p. o.
Morgan, of masonic notoriety, was imprisoned at Canandaigua
his disappearance. Settlement was commenced in 1788, by Phelps
and their associates, and considerable accessions were made in 1789 and
The first religious service at Canandaigua, was held in 1789, by Rev.
John Smith. The first church (St. Matthew's, Epis., now St.
was organized Feb. 4, 1799; the Cong. church was formed Feb. 25, 1799.
census reports 10 churches in town.9
1. This name was derived from Gan-a-dar-que, a village built
the Seneca Indians on the present site of the village of
It signifies a chosen spot.
2. In one of the courtrooms is a collection of portraits of
prominent first settlers and residents of the co.: viz, of Oliver
Phelps, Gen. Peter B. Porter, Augustus Porter, Philip Church, Wm.
James Wadsworth, Abner Barlow, Moses Atwater, Micah Brooks, Vincent
Walter Hubbell, John C. Spencer, John Greig, Nathl. Rochester, Jos.
Red Jacket, Judge Fitzhugh, Ambrose Spencer, Wm. Williams M. D., N. W.
Howell, Wm. Wood, Stephen A. Douglas, Danl. Barnard, and H.
Welles. Among other distinguished residents of Canandaigua were Hon.
Gideon Granger, P. M. Gen. under Jefferson's administration, his
son, Francis Granger, P. M. Gen. under Harrison's
administration, the late Hon. M. H. Sibley, and Hon. J. R.
3. This arsenal was authorized before the war, and 1,000
of arms were ordered to be deposited there, Feb. 12, 1808.
This academy was founded in 1795, by Gorham and
Phelps. It is in a prosperous condition.
5. The Ontario Female Seminary was founded in 1825. Its
buildings are commodious, and pleasantly situated upon grounds
containing 7 acres. The number of students in 1857 was 311.
6. Brigham Hall, incorp. in 1859, is about 1 mi. s. w. of the
courthouse. The grounds consist of 70 acres, and the buildings,
with accommodations for 80 patients, are located in a beautiful grove
of 16 acres.
7. The co. Agricultural Society has a lot containing 10 acres
within the village limits, with suitable buildings.
8. Among the settlers in 1789 were Joseph Smith, Israel
Chapin, Nathaniel Gorham, Jr., Frederick Saxton, Benjamin Gardner,
Daniel Brainard, Martin Dudley, and James d. Fish. The
birth was that of Oliver Phelps Rice; and the first death,
Caleb Walker, both in 1790. Samuel Gardner opened
first store; and the first school was taught by Major Wallis,
There were in that year 30 families in town. The Legislature
March 31, 1804, to Levi Stephens and Jason Parker the
right of running stages from Utica to this place for a term of 7
The trip was to be performed twice a week, from June to October, within
hours, and at a rate of 4 cts.a mi. if with 6 or more passengers.
similar monopoly was granted, April 6, 1807, for 7 years, to John
Metcalf, between this place and Buffalo.
9. The census reports 2 Bap., 2 Prot. E., 2 M. E., Cong., Free
Will Bap., Christian, and R. C.
Town of East Bloomfield
East Bloomfield was formed Jan. 27, 1789, as “Bloomfield.”
Mendon and Victor were taken off in 1812; its name was
changed and West Bloomfield was taken off in 1833. It is
an interior town, lying n. w. of the center of the co. Its
surface is rolling, with
a gentle inclination toward the n. The ridges are 50 to 600 feet above
valleys. The principal streams are the Mud, Fish, and Hog Hollow
The soil is a deep, fertile, gravelly loam, in places mixed with clay. Griffiths
Mills in the e. and Brag Village in the s. e. part are
East Bloomfield, (p. v.,) 3/4 of a mi. from East Bloomfield
on the N. Y. Central R. R., contains 3 churches, an academy,1
manufactories of agricultural implements and carriages. Pop.
This township having been purchased of Phelps and Gorham by a company
Berkshire co., Mass., its settlement was commenced in the spring of
There are 4 churches in town;3 the first (Cong.) was formed
8, and organized Nov. 15, 1795, by Rev. Zadock Hunn. The
church edifice in all Western N. Y. was erected in this town in 1801.
1. Incorp. April 9, 1838. The average number of students
2. Deacon John Adams and his sons, John, William,
Abner, Jonathan and Joseph, his sons-in-law, Ephraim
Rue and Loren Hull, and Elijah Rose, Moses Gunn, Lot
Rue, John Barnes, Roger Sprague, and Asa Hickox moved in
with their families in 1789. The first death was that of Lot
Rue, in 1793; the first marriage -- and
the first upon the Phelps and Gorham purchase -- was that of Benj.
and a daughter of George Codding. The first sawmill
erected on Mud Creek, in 1790, by Gen. Fellows; and the first
was opened in 1806, by Norton & Beach. Laura Adams taught
the first school, in 1794.
3. Cong., M. E., Prot. E., and R. C.
Town of Farmington
Farmington1 was formed Jan. 27,
lies on the n. border of the co., w. of the center. Its surface is
level in the s., but in the n. it is broken by the drift ridges
to this section of country, rising to a height of 50 to 100 feet above
general surface. The declivities of these ridges toward the n.,
and w. are generally steep, but toward the s. they become gradual
The streams are Mud and Beaver Creeks and Black Brook. A strip of land
the s. part, embracing about 3 tiers of lots, has a clay soil.
of this is a marshy region; and farther n. the soil is a gravelly loam
very productive, with good proportions of arable, meadow, and grazing
throughout the town. New Salem, (Farmington p.o.,) a
in the n. part, contains 206 inhabitants. Brownville (Nortons
p.o.) is a hamlet. East Farmington and West
are p. offices. The settlement was commenced in 1789, by Friends
Berkshire, Mass., among whom were Nathan Comstock, his sons Otis
and Darius, and Robert Hathaway.2
first house of worship was erected by the Friends, in 1804. There
now 2 churches in town; Friends and Wes. Meth.
1. Named from Farmington, Conn.
2. It was formed by
the Court of General Sessions. Early in 1790, Nathan
Aldrich, Isaac Hathaway, Nathan
Herendun, Welcome Herendun, John McCumber, and Joshua Herington,
same place, joined the infant settlement, and were followed by 18
same year. Jacob and Joseph Smith built a
1793, and the first sawmill, in 1795. The first birth was that of
Herendun, in 1790; the first marriage, that of Otis Comstock and
Huldah Freeman, in 1792; and the first death, that of Elijah
Town of Gorham
Gorham1 was formed Jan. 27, 1789, as “Easton.”
Its name was changed to “Lincoln,” April 17, 1806, and to
Gorham, April 6, 1807. Hopewell was taken off in
1822. A part of
Canandaigua was annexed in 1824. It lies upon the e. shore
Canandaigua Lake, s. e. of the center of the co. Its surface is
the ridges rising in gradual slopes to a height of 25 to 200 feet above
valleys. Flint Creek is the principal stream. The soil in the e. part
principally a gravelly loam, and in the w. it consists of clay, and is
fertile and productive. Gorham,2 (p.v.,) 3 mi. from
Gorham Station, on the C. & E. R. R. contains 3 churches and 310
Reeds Corners (p.v.) contains 3 churches and about 20
The first settlement was made at Reeds Corners, in 1789, by James
Wood.3 There are now 6 churches in town.4
1. Named in honor of Nathaniel Gorham.
2. Formerly called "Bethel".
3. Parley Gates, from Mass., settled on Lot 49 in
1796; and soon after, Oliver Howard and Henry Greene,
from Oneida co. N. Y., and Samuel and Silas Reed, Elijah
Hurd, and others, came in. The first tavern was kept by William
Sherwood, at Reeds Corners, in 1800; the first gristmill was built
by Levi Benton; and the first sawmill, by Buckley &
Craft, in 1807. Timothy Moore taught the first school, in
4. 2 Bap., Cong., Prot. E., Presb., and M. E.
Town of Hopewell
Hopewell was formed from Gorham, March 29, 1822. It is
interior town, lying e. of the center of the co. The surface is
or gently undulating, with a northerly inclination. Canandaigua
Fall Creek, and Fall Brook are its principal streams. The soil is
sandy and gravelly loam in the w., and the same mixed with clay in the
and e. It is very fertile and highly cultivated. Chapinville,
(p.v.,) a station on the N. Y. C. R. R., contains a church and about 30
Hopewell Center (p.v.) contains 1 church and 16 dwellings.
Hopewell is a p.o. Settlements were made in 1789-90.1
are 5 churches in town;2 the first church (Presb.) was
1. Among the first settlers were Daniel Gates, Daniel
Warner, _______ Sweet, Ezra Platt, Samuel Day, George and Israel
Frederick Follett, Benj. Wells, and Thomas Sawyer, mostly
Mass., and William Wyckoff, from Penn. The first child --
Wells, Jr. -- was born Feb. 4, 1791. Calvin Bacon taught
the first school, in 1792. The first tavern was kept by Ezra
Platt; and the first mill was built by Oliver Phelps and Israel
Chapin, in 1789.
2. 3 M. E., Wes.Meth., and Presb.
Town of Manchester
Manchester was formed from Farmington, March 31, 1821, as “Burt,”
and its name was changed April 16, 1822. It lies upon the n.
border of the co., e. of the center. Its surface is nearly level
s., but is occupied by irregular sand and gravel ridges of the drift
formation in the n. Canandaigua Outlet, Fall Creek, and Black
Brook are the
principal streams. The soil is a gravelly loam and is very
Hydraulic limestone is quarried on “the Outlet.” There are 3
mills in town. Clifton Springs, (p. v.,) incorporated in
a station on the N. Y. C. R. R., is situated in the e. part of the
Pop. 340. At this place are the celebrated Clifton Mineral
and an extensive water cure establishment.1 Manchester
(p. v.) contains 374 inhabitants; Shortsville (p. v.)
35 dwellings and a large distillery; and Port Gibson, (p. v.,)
the Erie Canal, 50 dwellings; Manchester Center (p. v.)
18 dwellings. Plainsville (Gypsum p. o.) contains 12 houses. Coonsville
contains a flouring mill, plaster mill, and 12 houses. The first
was made in 1793, by Stephen Jared, Joel Phelps and Joab
Gillett.2 Rev. David Irish preached in
Manchester in Jan. 1797, and in Feb. following a Bap. society was
organized. There are now 8 churches in town.3 Joe
Smith, the Mormon prophet, resided in this town with his father;
and Mormon Hill, the place where the gold Bible was found, is situated
a little n. w. of the center of the town.
1. A hotel was erected in 1806, as a dispensary; and the water
cure was established in 1850, by a company organized for that purpose,
with a capital of $45,000. It has accommodations for 150
patients, and is largely
patronized. The water of the spring was analyzed in 1852, by Dr.
Chilton, of N. Y., with the following result in grains to 1 quart:
Hydrosulphuric and carbonic acids are also found in small quantities.
- Sulphate of lime . . . . . . . . . 17.30 grs.
" " magnesia . .
. . . . 4.12 "
" " soda . . . .
. . . . . . 1.94 "
- Carbonate of lime . . . . . . . . . 2.42 "
magnesia . . . . . .3.28 "
- Chloride of sodium . . . . . . . . .2.32 "
" " calcium . . . . . .
. . .1.02 "
" " magnesia . . . . .
. . .1.02 "
- Organic matter . . . . . . . . . . . . trace
- Total . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . 33.42
2. Nathan Pierce and John McLouth from
Mass., settled in the town in 1795; and John Van Fleet, Jedediah
Benjamin Barney, William Mitchell and Peleg Redfield soon
after. Sharon Boothe and a daughter of Joab Gillett
married in 1793. Theophilus Short erected the first
Shortsville in 1804; and the first store was opened by Nathan
Elam Crane taught the first school, in 1800.
3. 2 Bap., 3 M. E., 2 Prot. Meth., and a Univ.
Town of Naples
Naples1 was formed Jan. 27, 1789, as “Middletown.”
The name was changed April 6, 1808. Italy was taken off
and a part of Springwater in 1816. It is the extreme s.
of the co. The surface consists of a hilly and elevated upland,
by the narrow and deep valleys of Canandaigua and Honeoye Inlets and
Creek. The summits of the hills are 600 to 1000 feet above the surface
the lake and 1300 to 1700 feet above tide. Their declivities bordering
the streams are generally very steep. High Point and Hatch Hill
the highest summits. The soil upon the hills consists of clay and
mixed with disintegrated slate and shale; and in the valleys it is a
gravelly loam mixed with alluvium. Fruit growing is receiving much
Peaches are produced in great abundance; and an experiment is being
in the cultivation of grapes, which promises to be successful.
30 acres are now devoted to this object, and very satisfactory results
been realized. Naples, (p. v.,) on the Canandaigua Inlet,
mi. from the lake, contains 5 churches and 3 flouring mills. Pop. 700.
first settlement was commenced in 1790, by a company from Berkshire
Mass., by whom the town was purchased from Phelps and Gorham.2
The first sermon was preached by Rev. Zadock Hunn, in June,
1. Originally called "Watkinstown," from Wm.
Watkins, of Berkshire, Mass., one of the purchasers under Phelps
and Gorham, and called
by the Indians Nun'da-wa-o, great hill.
2. In Feb. 1790, Samuel, Reuben and Levi Parish,
their families, came in; and in April following, Nathan and Wm.
Watkins, John Johnson, Jonathan Lee, and William Clark,
families, 30 persons in all. The first birth was that of Phineas
P. Lee; and the first marriage, that of Benj. Clark and Thankful
Watkins, in 1795. The first sawmill was erected in 1792, by Benj.
Clark and Jabez Metcalf. Susannah Parish taught the
first school, in 1792. Myron H. Clark, late Governor of
the State, was born in this town, Oct. 23, 1806.
3. There are 5 churches in town; Bap., M. E., Presb., Wes.
Meth., and Christian.
Town of Phelps
Phelps1 was formed in 1796, under the act of Jan.
27, 1789. A part was annexed to Lyons, (Wayne co.,) April 11,
It is the n. e. corner town of the co. Its surface is rolling,
ridges rising in gentle slopes 20 to 100 feet above the valleys. The
point is 300 feet above Canandaigua Lake. The soil in the e. is a
loam with a clay subsoil, in the n. a mixed sandy and clayey loam, and
the w. a sandy and coarse gravelly loam, all highly productive.
Outlet, the principal stream, flows e. and n. through the center.
its course are extensive quarries of gypsum and water limestone. In the
are quarries of Onondaga and corniferous limestone. Phelps,2
(p. v.,) on Flint Creek, near its junction with the Canandaigua Outlet,
incorp. Jan. 2, 1855. It contains a union school, newspaper
and 6 churches. Pop. 1,278. Orleans (p. v.) is situated
Creek. Pop. 218. Oaks Corners (p. o.) contains 15
J. D. Robinson, from Claverack, Columbia co., settled at Phelps
1789.4 Rev. S. Goodale was the first
preacher; he held services in schoolhouses and dwellings before any
edifice was erected. The first church (Presb.) was built in 1804.5
1. Named from Oliver Phelps, one of the original
proprietors of the town.
2. Formerly called "Vienna".
3. The culture of rasberries has recently been introduced in
this vicinity, and promises to be successful.
4. N. Sanborn, _________ Gould, _______ Pierce, Philetus
Swift, and Elihu Granger, from Conn., settled in town in
1789; Thaddeus Oaks, Seth Dean, Oliver and Charles
Humphrey, John Salisbury, Nicholas Pullen, Walter Chase, and Elias
Dickinson in 1791; John Patten and David Boyd in
1792; Jonathan Melvin in 1793; and John
Sherman, Joseph and Lodowick Vandemark, and John and
Patrick Burnett in 1794. Henry H. Robinson was
the first child born
in town; and the first marriage was that of Philetus Swift and
Sally Dean, in 1793. Thaddeus Oaks opened the
first tavern, in
1793; and the first saw and grist mills were built by Seth Dean.
4. There are 10 churches in town; 4 Bap., 3 Presb., 2 M. E., and
Town of Richmond
Richmond was formed in 1796, under the act of Jan. 27, 1789,
as “Pittstown.” Its name was changed to “Honeoye” April
6, 1808, and to Richmond April 11, 1815. A part of Canadice
was annexed April 30, 1836, and parts of Bristol and South
Bristol in 1848; but the latter were restored in 1852. It
lies upon the w.
border of the co., s. of the center. It consists of a nearly square
portion of land lying near the foot of Honeoye Lake, and a narrow strip
extending along the e. shore of that lake and its inlet to the s.
border of the co.1 A wide valley occupies the center,
opening toward the n., and surrounded by
hills from 50 to 200 feet high on the 3 remaining sides. The
southern strip is very hilly, the summits rising 500 feet above the
surface of the lake. Honeoye and Hemlock Outlets and Egypt Brook
are the principal streams. The soil upon the lowlands is clay,
upon the hills a sandy loam mixed with clay. Much attention is
given to improving the breeds of cattle and sheep; and it is the
largest wool growing town in the co., and
second in the State. Honeoye, (p. v.,) at the foot of
Honeoye Lake, is the business center of the town. Pop. 244.
Richmond Mills (p. o.) and Allens Hill2 (p.
o.) are hamlets. This town was purchased of Phelps and Gorham by a
company; and the first settlement
was made by Capt. Peter Pitts and his sons William and
in 1789.3 There are 5 churches in town.4
1. This strip was added to the town in consequence of its
position, high mountain ridges separating it from the business centers
of both Canadice and South Bristol.
2. Named in honor of Nathaniel Allen. Mr. Allen
was among the first settlers, and established the first blacksmith's
Allens Hill. Subsequently he was sheriff of Ontario co.; in 1812
was a member of the Assembly; during the War of 1812 he was army
and in 1819 he was elected member of Congress from the 21st district.
3. In 1795, Lemuel and Cyrus Chipman, Philip
Reed, Levi Blackmer, Nathaniel Harmon, Pierce Chamberlain, Asa Denison,
and Isaac Adams from Vermont, settled in town. Capt.
the first tavern; and the first saw and grist mills were built by Thomas
Morris, in 1795. Upon the division of the lands, Capt.
secured 3,000 acres at the foot of Honeoye Lake, embracing the flats
a cleared field which had been the site of an Indian village destroyed
Sullivan's army. Louis Philippe, during his travels in
country, spent a night in the log house of Capt. Pitts; and
the Duke de Liancourt and suite went from Canandaigua to make
4. 2 Cong., Prot. Epis., Prot. Meth., and Wes. Meth.
Town of Seneca
Seneca was formed in 1793, under the act of Jan. 27,
1789. It is the s. e. corner town of the co., lying upon the w.
shore of Seneca Lake. The surface is beautifully rolling, the
ridges rising 20 to 200
feet above the valleys. The shores of the lake are bluffs about
feet above the surface of the water. The streams are Flint and
Creeks and Burralls and Castle Brooks. The soil is a deep, rich
consisting of sand, gravel, and clay mixed together, the gravel
upon the ridges. The soil is admirably adapted to the production
fruit trees, and the business of the nursery has become one of the
pursuits in the town. Two large nursery establishments are
within the limits of the village of Geneva. Commerce and
receive considerable attention. Geneva,1 (p.
incorp. April 4, 1806, is beautifully situated at the foot of Seneca
It contains a flourishing union school,2 a large private
school,3 3 newspaper offices, and 9 churches. It is
the seat of Hobart Free College.4 The Geneva Water
and Hygienic Institute is finely situated near the center of the
A daily line of steamers connects this place with the upper ports upon
Lake. Pop. 5,057. Castleton, (Seneca Castle
on Flint Creek, in the n. w. part, contains 2 churches and 35
Flint Creek, (p. o.,) Halls Corners, (p. o.,) and Stanleys
Corners5 (p. o.) are hamlets. The first settlement
commenced in 1787, upon the site of the Indian village of Kanadesaga,
immigrants from New England.6 This village was
at the foot of Seneca Lake, where Geneva now is; and for several years
Geneva had become a place of considerable importance it was called “Kanadesaga.”
An ancient fortification, known as Fort Hill, is located on lot
It was covered with large forest trees upon the first settlement of the
Another beautiful ground, called the “Old Castle,” is about 1
n. w. of Geneva. It is covered by an Indian orchard, and the
has never been plowed, because of a stipulation to that effect made
the Indians in the treaty of purchase.7 It contains an
Indian burial ground; and in one corner may be traced a trench of an
ancient stockaded fortification. Here was the largest Indian
settlement in Western New
York, and it is still a place of much interest to the few remaining
of the once powerful Five Nations. Many relics -- as stone
arrow heads, pipes, &c. -- are found in the vicinity of “Old
As early as 1765, the Rev. Samuel Kirkland came on a mission to
Indians at Kanadesaga.8 The first church (Presb.) was
in 1798; and the first settled minister was Rev. Jedediah Chapman.9
1. This village is justly celebrated for the beauty of its
situation; and perhaps no village in the co. in this respect has been
so generally and
enthusiastically praised by tourists. For many years it was one
the leading business places in Central N. Y.; but the completion of the
R. lines has turned a large share of the business into other channels.
2. This union school was one of the first established in the
State, and for a long time was taken as a model in establishing
early contained an academic department that enjoyed an excellent
reputation. The schools of the village are now graded, and
embrace a complete common school
and academic union.
3. The Walnut Hill Seminary, for boys, is a flourishing
institution of its kind.
4. Formerly Geneva College. It was incorp. in 1825, and
established mainly through the influence of Bishop Hobart, whose name
bears. A medical department was organized in 1836. The
trustees and members of the College Faculty are generally members of
the Prot. Epis. church. From the beginning, however, the college
has been equally open
to all; and it is now free to all, no charge being made for
and room rent. It has now two large buildings for the use of
--one for libraries and lecture rooms, one for a chapel -- and a
building for the use of the medical department. The college has a
4 professors, an assistant professor, and a resident fellow, who takes
in the business of instruction; and the medical department has a
of 6 professors. In 1859 the number of students in the free
was 85. The aggregate value of the college property is about
The college buildings are beautifully situated in the s. part of the
on a bluff which overlooks Seneca Lake. The college grounds
above 12 acres. In 1858 the whole number of graduates in arts was
and in medicine 520.
5. Gorham Station on the E. J. & C. R. R.
6. Among the first settlers were Horatio Jones, Asa
Jennings, Dr. Benton, Peter Ryckman, Peter Bortte, Col. Seth Reed, and
Dominick Debartzch, and Indian trader. Jonathan
Oaks, Benjamin Tuttle, Phineas Stone, and John Reed settled
1788 and '89; Solomon and William Gates, Thomas Densmore,
Weaver, and Oliver Whitmore in 1790, and Adam,
and George Fisher in 1791. Lark Jennings kept the
tavern, in 1788; the first gristmill was erected by Cornelius
and the first sawmill, by P. B. Wisner, in 1798. The
was that of Dr. Joel Prescott and Miss Phila Reed; and
first school was taught by Samuel Wheaton, in 1792.
7. For many years after this purchase the Indians came
regularly at plowing time and watched this orchard, to see that the
stipulation was not broken.
8. Subsequently Mr. Kirkland was commissioned by the
State of Mass. to treat with the Indians; and he conducted the treaty
of purchase between them and Phelps and Gorham, in 1788; and afterward
he acted as Indian
agent for 30 years at Canandaigua.
9. There are 12 churches in town; 2 Prot. E., 3 Presb., 2 Asso.
Presb., 2 M. E., Bap., Ref. Prot. D., Univ., and R. C.
Town of South Bristol
South Bristol was formed from Bristol, March 8, 1838.
upon the w. shore of Canandaigua Lake, s. w. of the center of the
The surface consists of an elevated upland, divided into 4 ranges by
valleys of Grindstone and Mud Creeks and Egypt Brook. The summits
the ridges are about 1000 feet above the lake, and the declivities are
steep. The bluffs upon the lake shore are 300 to 400 feet
The soil is a mixture of clay and disintegrated slate. Although
soil is rich and productive, the hilly character of the town has tended
retard its settlement. Cold Spring (South Bristol p. o.)
a hamlet about a mi. from Canandaigua Lake. Frost Hill is
hamlet in the w. part. Gamaliel Wilder, from Mass.,
purchased this township from Phelps and Gorham, and settled at Wilburs
Point, on Canandaigua Lake, in 1789.1 An Indian
orchard on the lake
shore at this point induced him to settle here. Rev. Mr. Rolph
was the first settled minister. There is now but 1 church
Footnotes: 1. Among the other early settlers who came in soon
between 1789 and 1796, were Theophilus and Matthew
Gilbert, Jared Tuttle, Peter Ganiard, Levi Austin, Nathaniel Hatch, and
their families. Mr. Wilder built the first sawmill, the
gristmill, and distillery, at Wilburs Point, in 1795. He also
the first public house, in 1808, which he conducted for 9 years. Dr.
Hewitt and George Wilder opened the first store, in
The first school was taught by Joanna Forbes. Eli Allen was
the first child born, in 1793.
Town of Victor
Victor was formed from Bloomfield, May 26, 1812. It is
n. w. corner town of the co. The n. part is occupied by the drift
which rise 50 to 150 feet above the general surface. A ridge of
to 280 feet in height extends across the s. part in a general e. and w.
The principal streams are Irondequoit, Mud, Hog Hollow, and Fish
and Trout Brook. The soil in the center and n. is a light, sandy
gravelly loam, but in the s. e. it is principally clay. It is
adapted to the cultivation of potatoes and root crops. Victor,1
(p. v.,) near the center, contains about 75 dwellings. The Indian
of Gannagaro, which was destroyed by the Marquis de Nonville, was
near this place. Fishers (p. o.) is a station on the N.
Y. C. R. R., in the w. part; and East Victor is a hamlet, on
The first settlement was commenced in 1789, by immigrants from
Mass. Among the first were Enos and Jared Boughton, and Jacob
Lobdell.2 Rev. Reuben Parmelee, from Goshen, the
settled minister, came to the town in 1798.3
1. Called by the Indians Ga-o'sa-ga-o, in the basswood
2. Levi Boughton and Rufus Dryer settled at
Boughton Hill, in 1790. The first birth was that of Frederick
Boughton, in June, 1791; and the first marriage, that of Zebulon
Norton and Miss Boughton. The first tavern was
opened at Boughton Hill, by Hezekiah Boughton, in 1792; and the
first sawmill was built the same year, by Enos
and Jared Boughton.
3. There are 3 churches in town; Cong., M. E., and Univ.
Town of West Bloomfield
West Bloomfield was formed from Bloomfield, Feb. 11,
1833. It lies upon the w. border of the co., n. of the
center. A ridge 200
to 300 feet high, forming the declivity of a southern terrace, extends
the n. part. The surface is gently undulating. The soil is a
rich, gravelly loam mixed with clay. In the s. part there is a
of inflammable or carburetted hydrogen gas. Tile and earthenware
manufactured to some extent in town. West Bloomfield (p.
is a village of 350 inhabitants,1 situated 1 1/2 mi. s. of
W. Bloomfield Station, on the N. Y. C. R. R. North Bloomfield,
(p. v.,) on the Honeoye Outlet, and Millers Corners, (Taylorsville
p. o.,) in the e. part, are R. R. stations. The territory forming
town was purchased by Amos Hall,2 Robert Taft,
Marvin, and Ebenezer Curtis; and the first settlement was
by them in 1789.3 The first religious services were
1. Called by the Indians Ga-nun'da-ak, village on a hilltop.
2. Mr. Hall was from Guilford, Conn. He took
census of Ontario co., in 1790; represented the co. in Assembly, in
and was Major General of militia in the War of 1812.
3. John P. Sears, Peregrine Gardner, Clark Peck, Jasper
Marvin, Samuel Miller, John Algur, and S. Thayer settled
in the town in
1789-90. Benjamin Gardner, with his sons John and
Peregrine, are supposed to have been the first settlers.
The first birth was that
of Lucinda Gardner, in Sept. 1791. Jasper P. Sears kept
the first inn, and Royal Hendee the first store. The
was built by Ebenezer Curtis; and the first gristmill, by Reuben
3. There are now 3 churches in town; Cong., M. E., and Chris.
Return to the Ontario
Co. GenWeb page
Copyright © 2002-09 Ontario County
NYGenWeb and each contributor and author of materials herein. All