Bristol Historian Archives
Some Information to Help in Your Search
The Ontario Co. GenWeb page is lucky to have a volunteer
will do limited searches for you of the Bristol Historians
The list on the Web page is a partial list of the holdings. This
such a tremendous resource, I hope many of you will take advantage and
submit a look-up request.
Town of Bristol Historian
Because the holdings are large and various, kindly be as specific
with your query as possible. Names, dates places, and specific
questions will be very helpful in searching through the Archives.
Your cooperation and courtesy will be greatly appreciated.
Simple requests for information may be free. Requests that
involve more work may be subject to a $15 per hour charge. If
copies are requested, copying fees and postage will apply. Otherwise,
your reply will be e-mailed back to you.
Mrs. Helen Fox
c/o Bristol Town Hall
6740 County Rd. 32
Canandaigua, NY 14424
Kindly submit your detailed look-up request to: Historian
Please see the list below of resources available.
Bristol Historian Resources
- Census Records - 1790-1925
- Deaths - 1883-1869. With sources, includes parents and
spouse when available.
- Marriages - 1883-1901
- Births - 1883-1969
- Cemetery Records - All Bristol. Various
South Bristol, Naples, East, West and South Bloomfield, Canandaigua,
Academy, Allen's Hill and (old) Ovid Street in Seneca Falls.
- Military Records - Locations of graves in local
cemeteries, Civil War letters, enlistment lists from before 1865, with
regiments and parents
- Family Histories - Data of over 200 families of the
Many of these go back to Dighton, Bristol County, Massachusetts, where
pioneers came to settle the Dighton Purchase from Phelps and Gorham and
back to the "Mayflower".
- School Records - School books, Academians and records
from many school districts.
- Churches - Original Congregational Church records from
early 1800's. Records from Baptist, Universalist, Methodist, Federated
and United Church of Bristol.
- Political History - Town minutes from 1789 to present.
Lists of town officers; early highway records.
- Books - County and local histories, directories,
journals, diaries, family genealogies, Dr.'s records and many more too
- Newspapers - Gazetteers, Rural New Yorkers, Ontario
- Scrapbooks - Over 175 scrapbooks from the 1880's to
present. Contains newspaper articles, obituaries, marriages and birth
- Maps - 1859, 1874, 1904 and 1916. Gives residents names
- Miscellaneous - Many original deeds, some wills, early
"ear-marks" from 1797 to 1840 and many other interesting files of data.
© 2008-10, Ontario County NYGenWeb and each contributor and author
materials herein. All rights reserved.