"Woo" to "Woz" Obituaries

From Victor Herald 30 June 1899

Mrs. Adelaide H. Wood, a minister of The Society of Friends, died at her home in Farmington Sunday morning, on her fifty-third birthday. She had been ill over six months. Mrs. Wood was the eldest daughter of George and Sarah Hallock, of Milton, Ulster county. On December 23, 1875, she was married to Charles H. Wood of Farmington. Mrs. Wood had always been prominent in social, religious and educational work, having been pastor of the Orthodox Friends Church at Farmington, president of the local W. C. T. U. and also president of the Ontario County organization. Mrs. Wood is survived by a husband, Charles H. Wood, three sons, Walter H., William C., George; and one daughter, Grace W.

From Ontario County Journal 16 May 1913

Reed's Corners, N. Y. -  Mrs. Belle Jones Wood,
wife of H. C. Wood of Reeds Corners, died on Wednesday night. Mrs. Wood was born in Middlesex 65 years ago. She is survived by her husband and two step-children, Mrs. Charles Davis and Gilbert Wood, both of Reeds Corners; also two brothers and one sister, Myron Jones of Reeds Corners, and Charles Jones of West River, and Mrs. Lafayette Johnson of South Bristol. The funeral services will be held from the home at 1 o'clock tomorrow afternoon. Rev. Livingston L. Taylor of Canandaigua will officiate. Interment will be in the cemetery at Reeds Corners.

From Ontario County Journal 20 October 1899

Ionia, N. Y. - Benjamin L. Wood
was found dead in a road running through a field belonging to Charles Lamb, about 1 o'clock on Monday afternoon. Coroner Partridge was summoned and decided that Wood was seized with an epileptic fit, and falling, with his face in the sand, which was quite deep at that place, was smothered. He was 67 years old and had always resided in this place. He leaves a wife, one son, Everett Wood, a daughter, Mrs. Henry Alvord, and a sister, Mrs. William Emmons.

From Geneva Daily Times 28 May 1907

Stanley, N. Y. - Mrs. Caroline Hazlett Wood,
wife of John Wood, died at her home near this village Saturday, aged 18 years. Miss Hazlett of Brooklyn, was married to John Wood last June. There survive beside the husband a widowed mother, a brother and sister, all of Brooklyn. The funeral was held from the home of Mrs. Susie Wood, Sunday, at 3:30 p.m. The services were conducted by Rev. A. B. Temple of Seneca Presbyterian church. The remains were taken to Brooklyn for burial.

From Ontario County Journal 3 February 1911

Academy, N. Y. - Mrs. Clarissa Ann Covel Wood,
aged 71 years, wife of Ezra F. Wood, died at her home in the town of South Bristol, near here. Mrs. Wood leaves, besides her husband, one brother, T. J. Covel of Bristol Springs. Her funeral will be held at one o'clock today with interment at Coye cemetery. Rev. Albert Briddon officiating.

From Ontario County Journal 4 December 1874

West Farmington, N. Y. - David Wood,
a citizen of this town, living near East Farmington Station, well-known as a man of strict integrity and good habits, committed suicide on Monday last.  He had been out of health for about two weeks -- spoke frequently of a terrible pain in his head.  He was treated by Dr. Bennett, of Canandaigua, for typhoid fever, and had so far recovered as to be able to attend to his business.  At dinner, on Monday, he ate with an excellent appetite; seemed in fine spirits, and while the men were taking their noon rest he went to his room, took a bath, changed his clothing, and then went to the barn, where he climbed to a beam to which he fastened one end of a halter, placed the other in a noose about his neck, and made the leap that took him out of life.  It is said that Dr. Bennett received a letter Monday afternoon from Mr. Wood, desiring him to come to his house on the 4 p.m. train, as he would then find him hanging.  Without calling an inquest, the Coroner gave a verdict of "insanity."  That is the usual one, in nearly all such cases, though, as in this instance, there may be a great deal of "method in the madness."

Mr. Wood was a wealthy man; owned a large farm, a fine house; had everything about him, it would seem, to make life desirable, and his in his prime - forty-eight years of age.  The funeral services were held today at his late residence.  A great many people were present and listened attentively for a short time to Mr. Bell, an Orthodox Friend of Rochester.  One would hardly give to his remarks the name of sermon, tho' he took for a text, "Be still and know that I am God."  It was the familiar talk of a father to his children -- loving, tender.  The better way was pointed out, in which each one was to walk, without turning aside to note the faults or failures of others.  Little allusion was made to the sad event that had called us together.

The saddest feature of all this is the fact that yesterday was to have been the wedding day of Mr. Wood and Miss Boles.  It was to have been Thanksgiving day, but his illness prevented.  Now it will never be.  A grave stands between her and the happiness of which she dreamed.  Hard for her to believe that upon this night no morning will ever dawn; but "shall not the judge of all do right" ?

From Geneva Daily Times 2 April 1915

Naples, April 2 -
Fastening a rope to a rafter in the barn, tying the other end about his neck and then throwing himself over the stairway, Dennis Wood, 65 years old, and a well-known resident of this village, committed suicide yesterday. He had been in ill health for some time, although he was seen on the street in the morning and seemed unusually cheerful. The body was discovered by Mrs. Charles Sutton, with whom he had made his home the past winter. Mrs. Sutton summoned a physician and the body was cut down but life was extinct. Mr. Wood leaves a wife and a daughter, Anna, in Rochester; three brothers, Melvin, Frank and Van Ness in South Bristol. The funeral will be held from the Sutton home, but the time has not yet been decided upon.

From Geneva Daily Times 11 November 1902

Denton D. Wood
died at 2 o'clock yesterday afternoon at his late residence near Halls Corners, aged 52 years. On Friday the deceased underwent an operation for appendicitis at his late residence. He was considered on the high road to recovery until yesterday morning when unfavorable symptoms developed.  Death followed in the afternoon. Mr. Wood was one of the esteemed residents residents of that section.  He was an active member of Number Nine Presbyterian church.  He is survived by his widow, one sister, a Mrs. Nelson of Canandaigua; one son, John Wood, and one daughter, May Wood of Halls Corners. The funeral will take place at 2 o'clock Thursday afternoon from his late residence.  Rev. A. B. Temple will officiate. Interment will be in Number Nine cemetery.

From Ontario Repository & Messenger 27 June 1866

Suicide at West Bloomfield -
A correspondent of the Rochester Democrat relates the suicide of Mrs. Edgar F. Wood by drowning in Hall's mill pond, West Bloomfield, on the 12th day of this month. It is supposed that she committed the act while laboring under a temporary aberration of mind, induced by a painful illness.

From Geneva Daily Times 27 October 1908

Mrs. Elizabeth Wood,
widow of the late Leonard Wood, died yesterday about noon at the home of her daughter, Mrs. J. W. Holcomb, who resides south of this city on the lake road in the Town of Geneva. The deceased was 87 years old and had always made her home in this city until about five months ago when she went to live with her daughter. She is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Holcomb and Mrs. W. N. Coe of this city, and one brother, William Wilkie of Castile. The funeral will take place Thursday morning at 10:30 o'clock from the house. Rev. A. B. Temple, pastor of the Presbyterian church at Number Nine, will officiate and burial will be in the cemetery at Number Nine.

From Ontario County Journal 9 December 1887

Last Sunday evening at seven o'clock, Elmer E. Wood, superintendent of the Excelsior Electric Light Company in this village, met with instant death while renewing the carbon in the lamp on the corner of Niagara and Pleasant streets. The accident was caused by the formation of a ground circuit. A guy wire which had been used to support one of the poles further down on Niagara street had been wound around the pole and fastened. In some manner it became loosened and one end hanging over the electric wire extended to the ground. The constant sway of the wire had worn off the insulation, and Wood standing in the mud and touching the lamp with a glove which had become wet by contact with the rope that lowered the lamp, supplied the remaining gap in the circuit and the electric current went through him. His groans were heard and assistance summoned by a lady who saw him fall, but the electric fluid had effectively paralyzed all vital functions and he died before they could bear him to a couch. The accident was not due either to Mr. Wood's carelessness or to the system, but was caused by the loosening of the guy wire, an accident which might happen at any time with any system. Mr. Wood was about 30 years of age and he leaves a wife and two children to mourn his loss. The funeral was held on Tuesday, the remains being taken to Penn Yan for interment.

From Ontario County Journal 22 June 1877

Reeds Corners, N. Y. - Mrs. Emma Wood,
wife of H. C. Wood, died on the 8th inst., of Consumption. She had been ill for a long time, and gradually approached the end which all her friends knew was inevitable.  Her funeral was attended from the Congregational Church, on Sunday, and a large concourse of mourning friends followed her remains to our rural cemetery, and saw them deposited in that silent bourne whence she can never return.  The funeral discourse was delivered by Rev. Mr. DePew of Gorham village, and was really the finest discourse for such an occasion that we have listened to in a long time. This bereavement is a sad affliction to the remaining members of the household.  The husband and father will meet no more the gentle and loving companion of other years, and his two little children will indeed feel often the want of the kind care their lost mother has ever bestowed.  Father and children have the sympathy of the community.

From Geneva Daily Times 6 April 1910

Hopewell Center, N. Y. -
On Sunday afternoon occurred the death of Mrs. Frances Ann Wood, at the home of her son, William E. Wood, of this place, aged 80 years. She was born in Richmond, Feb. 5, 1830. Her maiden name was Frances Ann Wilson and she twice married. Early in life she was married to William McDermont and resided in northern Pennsylvania for about five years. Two children were born to them, who died in their infancy. In 1861 she married William Wood of this place and had been a resident here ever since. Mr. Wood died nineteen years ago. For the past eight years the deceased had made her home with her sons, William E. and Charles G. Wood, both of this place. Her death was not unexpected as her health had been failing for the past three years. The deceased was an earnest, enthusiastic Christian and church member for over fifty years, and a teacher in the Sunday School for many years. She is survived by four sons, William E. and Charles G. of this place, and Norman W. and A. Frank of Seneca Falls. The funeral was held at the late home yesterday afternoon. The services were conducted by the pastor, Rev. B. D. Showers. The interment was made in Chapman Cemetery.

From Naples Record 29 April 1925

At his home in South Bristol, N. Y., occurred the death last Wednesday, April 22, 1925, of Frank Marion Wood; he had been in failing health for several years, but had been confined to his bed for only a few days. Mr. Wood was the second son of John G. and Caroline Pierce Wood, and was born in South Bristol on March 15th, 1855, always residing in that town, where he had been a successful fruit farmer. On July 28, 1880, he was united in marriage with Miss Elizabeth J. Griswold, who survives, together with one son, Harry G. Wood, who resides at home Other survivors include two brothers, Wanness and Melvin N. Wood, both of South Bristol. Funeral services were held from the home last Saturday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock, conducted by Rev. W. T. H. Bay ford, pastor of the Naples Methodist church, and burial was made in Rose Ridge cemetery, Naples.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 8 February 1935

Entered into rest, Feb. 7, Frank Wood of North Bloomfield. Besides his wife, he is survived by 3 daughters, Mrs. Roland Brown, Mrs. Delbert Featherly and Mrs. Jesse Evans; and 1 son, Ward Wood; 9 grandchildren, and 11 great-grandchildren. Funeral from the home Saturday, Feb. 9, 2:30 p.m. Interment at Ionia Cemetery at 3:30 p.m.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 8 February 1905

Bristol Springs, N. Y. - Ganyard Wood,
an old and respected resident of this place, committed suicide by hanging Thursday evening. Mr. Wood has been making his home with his son, M. N. Wood for a long time and seemed to be enjoying his old age very pleasantly and no cause can be found for his rash act. He left his home Thursday afternoon and it was supposed by his son that he had gone to visit his son Frank, who lives on the lake road, as he frequently went away not telling where he was going. His son, Melvin, did not feel worried. Friday morning Melvin went to the barn, and there he met the awful sight of his father hanging. His funeral was held Sunday at the house.

From Ontario County Journal 6 June 1919

The death of George W. Wood, aged 84 years, occurred at his home on Chapin street yesterday, following an illness of two months. Deceased was born in Ionia. When a young man, he obtained employment of the New York Central, in which service he remained 38 years, a large portion of that time as conductor in passenger traffic on the main line and Auburn road. He was a member of the Order of Railroad Conductors, Syracuse Division, and was chairman of that branch for years. He retired from railroad service on a pension 20 years ago. Mr. Wood had resided in Canandaigua about 30 years. Mr. Wood was a member of Batavia Lodge of Masons. The survivors are four children, Mrs. Joseph Maxwell of New York, C. M. Wood of Rochester, Dr. George D. Wood and Harry R. Wood of Canandaigua. Rev. Herbert L. Gaylord will officiate at the funeral services at 2 o'clock tomorrow afternoon.

From Victor Herald 23 October 1903

Mrs. George W. Wood
died Sunday morning at her home on High street, aged 66 years, of cancer. Mrs. Wood had been quite ill for several weeks. She was the second wife of George W. Wood, the bereaved husband, and is also survived by four children, Charles of this village; John of Medina; Mrs. Millie Dillman and Mrs. Addie Tiffany, both of Rochester; two brothers, George Bliss of Victor; S. A. Bliss of Cambria, Mich., and one sister, Mrs. James Smith of Victor. The funeral was held Tuesday, at 2 p.m., from the family home, Rev. L. Stiles officiating. Interment was made at Boughton Hill.

From Geneva Daily Times 12 February 1908

Phelps, N. Y. -
After an illness of several months, Gilbert Wood, aged 77 years, died at his home on West Main street yesterday morning. He leaves a wife and two daughters to mourn his loss.

From Geneva Daily Times 16 April 1941

Reed's Corners, N. Y. - 
Funeral services for Gilbert J. Wood, aged 69 years, lifelong resident of Reeds Corners who died Sunday, April 13th, after a long illness were held Tuesday afternoon at his home. The Rev. Forrest Fordham officiated, assisted by Rev. David Boswell of Rome. Mr. Wood was the son of the late Clark Wood, who was a lifelong resident of this place. Besides his wife, he leaves two sons, Dr. Howard Wood of Rome, Arthur Wood of Oneida; and one daughter, Mrs. Delbert Dewey of Reeds Corners; also one grandson, William Wood of Rome. Bearers were George Gage, James Partis, Otto Heusler, Albert Brahm, Earl Dewey and George Dewey. Burial was in Reed Corners cemetery.

From Geneva Courier 22 March 1876

Mr. Isaac Wood
, one of the early settlers of Ontario County, died in South Bristol on Monday, March 6th.  He was 81 years of age, and came to that town in 1810.  He came from Woodstock, Vermont, and located west of Seneca Point, remaining on the same farm 65 years.

From Ontario County Journal 26 October 1894

Cheshire, N. Y. -
The funeral of the late Isaac L. Wood, whose sudden death resulted from heart failure, was held on Friday afternoon at 1 o'clock. A brief service was held over the remains at the home of the deceased, after which they were taken to Academy, where the funeral was held from the Union church. The service was conducted by Rev. W. H. Ward, pastor of the Union church at Cheshire, and was attended by a large number of friends and neighbors. The body was interred in the Academy cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 4 February 1905

Naples, N. Y. -
The dead body of J. G. Wood was found yesterday hanging in the barn on his place at South Bristol. It was not known how long Mr. Wood had been dead. He left home Thursday morning to visit a son who resides at Naples. That was the last time he was seen alive at his home. Mr. Wood was the owner of the first steamer, the Joseph Wood, that plied the waters of Canandaigua lake. He was eighty-one years of age and for some months had suffered from ill health, producing melancholy. Eight years ago one of his sons, Spencer Wood, was drowned in the lake. The sorrowing members of the family are three sons, Mrs. Wood having died some years ago.

From Ontario County Journal 9 June 1876

Died -
in this town, on the 2d inst., James Wood, in the 84th year of his age.  The deceased was the last of the old settlers on the lake road. He died at the residence of Mr. William Beeman, his nephew, near Cheshire, where he had past the last five years of his life. Born in the town of Newburg, Orange county, N. Y., he came to Canandaigua with his parents probably as early as the year 1800.  His father, John Wood, in the year 1806, bought the tract of land on the west side of the lake, on which Mr. James Wood passed the years of his industrial life.  His last five years were spent with Mr. and Mrs. Beeman, near Cheshire, to which place he came in December, 1870.  He was endowed with a sound mind; had an order of mental faculties strong, practical and clear, and conducted the affairs of life with prudence and foresight.  By industry and economy he acquire a moderate fortune, and was a good illustration all through his active life, of a man minding his own business.  He had no family of his own, having lived the life of a single man.  His first and second cousins, who kindly hold his name in remembrance, attended his funeral obsequies.  All his habits were of the quiet and peaceful order.  

In 1812, during the second war between the United States and Great Britain, Mr. Wood witnessed the great struggle with the patriotic feelings of an American citizen, and at least on two different occasions, rendered services to the government by conveying provisions and goods to the army of the country.  His funeral services were conducted by Rev. K. G. Holland on the afternoon of June the 3d, 1876, at the house of his nephew, Mr. Wm. Beeman.

From Geneva Gazette 3 December 1817

In this village, on the 27th ult., Mrs. Jane Wood, daughter of Mrs. Elizabeth Backenstose.  Her death was occasioned by her clothes catching fire, by which she was burnt in a shocking manner.  She lingered in misery several days after the accident.  Let this, added to a long list of similar calamities, operate as a salutary caution against exposure to fire.

From Ontario County Journal 19 April 1918

The death of Mrs. Jane Ann Wood, wife of George W. Wood, occurred at the home on Chapin street on Wednesday morning. Deceased was the daughter of Homer and Lucinda Daw and was born at Daw's Corners on July 20, 1838. Jane Ann Daw was married to George W. Wood at Batavia on December 26, 1856. Most of their married life was spent in Canandaigua. All admired and respected her for her many good traits of character and for her tender regard for all those by whom she was surrounded. She was a member of St. John's church, the Women's Auxiliary of the Young Men's Christian Association and the Womens Christian Temperance Union. There survive three sons, Clay M. Wood of Rochester; Dr. George D. Wood and Harry Wood, of Canandaigua; and one daughter, Mrs. Joseph Maxwell of New York City; also five grand-daughters and one grandson. Rev. Herbert L. Gaylord will officiate at the funeral services to be held at the home this afternoon at 2 o'clock. Interment will be at Ionia.

From Geneva Daily Times 25 February 1904

John Wood,
eighty-two, died at 3:45 o'clock yesterday afternoon from apoplexy. The deceased was born in England, came to this country fifty years ago, and to this city one year ago. He is survived by three daughters, Mrs. Mary Graham of Jersey City, Mrs. Helen Ross of Port Huron and Mrs. Frank J. Philips of this city. The funeral will take place at 2:30 o'clock Saturday afternoon at the home, No. 113 Cherry street. Rev. Dr. Remick officiating. Burial will be in Glenwood.

From Ontario County Journal 10 February 1905

This community was shocked on Friday morning to learn of the suicide by hanging of John G. Wood, a man upwards of eighty-one years of age, and a lifelong residence of this town. Mr. Wood resided with his son, Melvin, on the old homestead, about a mile and a half south of this village. His son, Frank M., lives about a half mile below on the Woodville road and there he frequently spent a day or two without giving notice of his intentions at home. This had become so common that his absence on Thursday evening, when M. N. Wood and family returned from a visit at a nearby farm, was not particularly noticed, except to use the telephone among merchants and farmers near by to learn if he was there, but he had not been seen at any of those places. He took pride in the care of a flock of sheep kept at a barn on the premises, a short distance from the home buildings, and was seen to go there to care for the sheep on Thursday. There he was found on Friday morning, when his son, Melvin, went to look after the sheep. Mr. Wood was born at Lapham's point and had always resided near this village, although for a few years he owned and ran both the steamboats on this lake, disposing of one in the fall of 1864 to Warner Bros., and exchanging the other, the Joseph Wood, with Salem and Henry Standish for a farm in the spring of 1865. Mr. Wood was always known as an exceedingly kind and indulgent parent and husband and obliging neighbor and a shrewd and honorable business man. He was well-to-do and was respected by a large circle of acquaintances. In view of his perfect mental condition and good health, his rash act is beyond explanation. His wife, two sons and two daughters have gone before him. Four sons, Frank M., VanNess, Dennis P. and Melvin N., survive him. The funeral service was held on Sunday, Rev. H. L. Howard officiating.

From Ontario County Times 5 May 1880

Flint Creek, N. Y. -
We are pained to report the death of our respected neighbor and townsman, John M. Wood, which sad event occurred the 29th ult., after an illness of only one week. His funeral was attended the following day by a large company of mourning friends and neighbors. The deceased had lived in the town nearly all his life and was highly respected by all who knew him. His sudden demise has cast a gloom over the entire community, and we feel that we have lost a good man, and his bereaved family one of the best of husbands and fathers. They have the sympathy of all in their great bereavement.

From Ontario County Journal 19 July 1901

Gorham, N. Y. - 
The death of John M. Wood occurred at his home near Halls on Monday, after a long illness. Funeral services were held at his late home on Wednesday, Rev. A. B. Temple officiating. Besides a wife, he is survived by four sons, J. H. Wood of Canandaigua; P. R. Wood of Rockford, Ill.; J. W. Wood of Long Beach, Cal.; and D. D. Wood of the town of Seneca; and by one daughter, Mrs. J. W. Nelson, residing at the family homestead. Mr. Wood was born in the house where he died. He had been prominently identified with the best interests of the town of Seneca during his life. When the town of Seneca was divided into the towns of Geneva and Seneca, Mr. Wood worked untiringly for the division.

From Geneva Advertiser 30 July 1901

The death of John M. Wood removes one more of the rapidly decreasing second generation descended from the original settlers of the district, so long and favorably known as No. 9. He lived all the 83 years of his honorable life on the farm where he was born, and which was taken up by his father and uncle, early in the last century. For over 60 years he was identified with the Christian church, being a member and for some years Deacon in the First Presbyterian church of Geneva, and for the last 25 years a member of the Church of Seneca. He was also an active and public-spirited citizen, and in the years of his unimpaired vigor, an earnest advocate of all that he believed to be for the best interests of his community and country. For many years he has been an invalid, and during all these years has been ministered to with tenderness and fidelity by the wife who survives him. The funeral took place from his late residence on Wednesday, July 17th, the burial being in the Cemetery of Seneca Church.

From Geneva Gazette 18 July 1880

For obituary of Leonard Wood, see obituary of George Brown.

From Ontario County Journal 4 June 1897

On Monday afternoon, while walking on lower Main street, Lorenzo D. Wood, the veteran harness maker, fell to the sidewalk forcibly, sustaining in his fall a severe scalp wound and other injuries. He died from the shock that evening, never having regained consciousness. He had been in poor health for a long time. Deceased was aged 70 years and 9 months. Survivors are the widow, Mrs. Mary A. Wood, and one daughter, Mrs. George Donahue of Meadville, Pa. The funeral was held from the late residence at 4 p.m., Rev. H. W. Jones officiating. A. M. Murray post,  G. A. R., of which deceased was a member, attended in a body. It was at first reported that Mr. Wood was run down by a wheelman; the report is denied, it being stated by eye-witnesses that two youngsters came riding off of Saltonstall street at a rather rapid rate of speed and crossed the sidewalk in front of Mr. Wood; he was startled and fell backward. It is positively denied by the witnesses that any portion of the bicycle touched Mr. Wood. The old gentleman's enfeebled condition rendered him unable to withstand any shock.

From Naples Record 29 December 1886

The death of Mrs. Lucy C. Wood, wife of J. G. Wood, near Bristol Springs, occurred on Wednesday last, and her burial was Friday at 11 a.m., Rev. W. D. Platt and a choir of this village officiating. The remains were brought to Rose Ridge for interment. She left six sons and one daughter besides a sorrowing husband; the sons acted as bearers as the last kindness for a beloved mother. Mrs. Wood left many relatives and friends to mourn, and those who knew her best loved her most as the worthy wife, mother and neighbor. Dennis Wood of this village is one of the sons, who, with the others have the sympathy of friends.

From Ontario County Journal 18 May 1894

Nathaniel R. Wood,
for twenty years a residence of Canandaigua, died at Willard State Hospital on Monday afternoon, aged 69 years. He was a carpenter by trade, but had been in ill health for several years past. He was a veteran of the late war, having served in Company K, 1st New York Volunteer Dragoons. Mr. Wood leaves a wife and one daughter, Mrs. Mary Wheldon of Atwood, Colorado. The funeral services were held Wednesday at his late home on West Gibson street, interment being at Woodlawn.

From Ontario County Journal 18 April 1919

Osmond C. Wood
died Saturday evening at his home on Gilbert street after a few days illness with acute heart disease, aged 71 years. He was a son of Charles and Maria Tyler Wood and has always lived in Middlesex or Rushville. In 1872, he married Miss Alice Crysler of Middlesex, who survives him. They had three children, two of whom died in infancy. Their only living child is Charles H. Wood, of Rushville, former district attorney of Yates county. There also survives one sister, Mrs. Orissa Jolley, of Rushville. Funeral services were held from the residence at 3 o'clock Tuesday, Rev. G. L. Pasche, pastor of Rushville M. E. church, officiating. The following people from out-of-town attended the funeral: Mr. and Mrs. Glen Moon of Branchport; Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Jacobs of Victor; Mr. and Mrs. Marvin Forster of Hall; Miss Inez Wood and William Bateson of Gorham; Alexander and Lewis Crysler of Middlesex.

From Ontario County Journal 5 April 1907

Ionia, N. Y.
- Ransom S. Wood, a lifelong resident of this place, died on Friday of apoplexy after an illness of a little more than a year, at the age of 75. He was a son of Carlton and Freelove Wood, and was one of a family of fourteen children, of whom five are still living. The funeral was held on Monday afternoon from the residence. He leaves to mourn his loss his wife,
a son and daughter, Ralph L. and Miss Millicent Wood.

From Victor Herald 25 September 1903

Mrs. Sarah P. Wood,
an old and highly esteemed resident of Ontario County, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. James A. Maher, at Fishers, on September 18, 1903, at the age of 88 years, 6 months and 14 days. Mrs. Wood was born in Connecticut in the year 1815 and has resided at Fishers for the past thirty-two years. She was a member of the Presbyterian church of Mendon and a staunch temperance worker, being a charter member of the Good Templars and a member of the W. C. T. U. Her beautiful Christian character and exemplary life has won a very large circle of friends who deeply mourn her demise. Mrs. Wood was twice married and leaves to mourn her loss three daughters, Mrs. J. E. Scott and Miss Angeline Davison, of Auburn, and Mrs. James A. Maher of Fishers and nine grandchildren.  

From Ontario County Journal 18 August 1882

Spencer Wood
dropped dead last Monday afternoon at the residence of Wm. Potter, about one mile north of Manchester village. He had been at work in the harvest field and had just returned to the house and was in the act of splitting some wood when he fell dead. It is supposed he was sun struck.

From Geneva Daily Times 19 May 1908

Stanley, N. Y. - Mrs. Susan Wood,
widow of Denton Wood, died quite suddenly Sunday morning at Syracuse, where she had gone to care for her son, John, who is critically ill with pneumonia. She is survived by the son and one daughter, Miss May Wood, who has been studying music at Ypsalanti, Mich. The funeral will take place tomorrow, Rev. A. B. Temple of Seneca Presbyterian church officiating.

From Victor Herald 23 September 1893

Last Sunday morning it was announced that T. R. Wood was dead; for several weeks it was known he had been very low and his death was not unexpected. Mr. Wood was born in the town of Mendon in 1845; he followed the occupation of a farmer till he purchased the hotel at East Rush, which he conducted very successfully till about five years ago when he came to this village and purchased the Victor Hotel, of Messrs. Peer and Huston. About two years ago he, like many others, was a victim of the grip, and was confined to his room for a number of weeks. From this illness he never fully recovered and serious pulmonary disease set in. In January last his health became so much impaired that he was obliged to sell the hotel property and give up business. In the management of the hotel he was very successful and made many friends, not only with the townsmen but with the traveling public as well.

Mr. Wood was married to Miss Ella Murphy of Mendon, about twenty years ago, three children were born to them, Charles, Frank and Ollie. His first wife died about ten years ago, and about two years later he married Miss Nellie Eggleston of Hammondsport, N. Y., and one child, Leslie, was born to them. Besides his wife and the four children mentioned, he leaves two sisters and one brother, Mrs. M. A. Lawton, of Honeoye Falls, Mrs. H. L. Birdsall of Sterling, Ill., and John Wood of Mendon. Mr. Wood was a member of the Catholic church and of the E. K. O. B. The funeral was held from St. Patrick's church Tuesday morning and the remains were taken to Honeoye Falls for burial.

From Geneva Courier 12 August 1857

Died -
In Canandaigua, on Wednesday, the 5th inst., Mr. William Wood, over 80 years of age.  Mr. Wood was a native of Massachusetts, and for many years a thriving merchant in the city of Boston, but his fortune which he had accumulated was lost in the French spoliation.  He was a most excellent man and his loss will be deeply lamented by the citizens of Canandaigua where he has resided for the last 30 years.

From Ontario County Journal 13 July 1883

We noticed briefly last week the fact that Mr. William Wood, a respected citizen of the town of Farmington, had suffered the amputation of a foot in hope of relief from a cancerous infection. He has suffered from this terrible disease for several years, and some five or six years ago placed himself under treatment of a noted physician at Utica, but it seems was afforded only temporary relief. After the amputation of his foot on Monday of last week, he felt much better and was encouraged with the hope of recovery. But on Wednesday he began to fail, and he died Wednesday evening. Mr. Wood was well-known in this vicinity and very generally respected. He leaves a wife, one son Charles, and one or two daughters. His age was about 70 years.

From Geneva Daily Times 14 November 1936

Hopewell, N. Y. -  William E. Wood
died at his home on Wednesday afternoon about 5 o'clock, after being ill with heart trouble for some time, aged 74 years. The deceased was a lifelong resident and one of the oldest and most highly esteemed citizens of Hopewell. He was a member of the Methodist church here and a past master of Hopewell Grange. Mr. Wood is survived by one son, Edward Wood, with whom he resided; and one daughter, Mrs. Herbert Davison of Canandaigua; and six grandchildren. The funeral will be held from his late home on Saturday afternoon at 2 o'clock with Rev. Boyd of Geneva, the local pastor, officiating. Interment will be made in Chapman Cemetery on the Orleans road.

From Ontario County Journal 23 July 1915

Naples, N. Y. - 
On July 18, at the family home in Gulick, occurred the sudden death of Mrs. Charles Woodard. Mrs. Woodard, who had been subject to heart trouble for several years, had been about the house as usual and had prepared dinner for the family. After eating, she arose and started to go into another room, but she fell and died within a few minutes. Miss Clara Coons was born in Steuben county 51 years ago, daughter of Elijah and Phila Coons. She was married to Charles Woodard of Gulick, and to them were born seven children: Ethel, who is now Mrs. Lisle Brown of Hemlock; and six sons, Grover, who graduated in June from Syracuse University as a civil engineer; Raymond, who has taught for two years at Bristol Springs; Lee, principal of schools at Mumford; Maurice and Gordon, at home; and one son, Charles who died in babyhood. Funeral services were held on Wednesday, with burial in Rose Ridge, by the side of her baby boy.

From Naples Record 18 December 1929

Mrs. Fanny A. Woodard,
aged nearly 78 years, died at her home on Lyon street at 2 o'clock this morning, December 18. She was a daughter of William and Anne Hammond McGary and was born in Richmond on January 15, 1852. For many years she had made her residence in Naples. Mrs. Woodard was a member of St. Januarius' Catholic Church of Naples, and was a regular attendant upon its services. The survivors include one son, William Woodard of Bristol Center; one brother, William McGary, of Lima; one sister, Mrs. Kate Peck of Akron, O.; three half-brothers, James, Edward and Fred McGary, of Rochester; and two half-sisters, Nona and Celia of Rochester; also four grandchildren. Funeral services will be held from St. Januarius' Catholic church at 9:30 a.m. on Friday, Rev. George W. Doud officiating, and interment will be made in Rose Ridge cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 1 May 1896

Naples, N. Y. -
The neighboring district of "Frosttown," in South Bristol was sorely afflicted last week in the death of two of their prominent people. Mark Woodard was one of the most prosperous farmers there, a very hard-working, upright citizen. He died on Thursday morning, April 23, aged 64 years, leaving a widow and seven children.

From Naples Record 25 December 1929

Solomon Woodard,
aged 82 years, ended his life on Sunday by shooting himself with a shotgun at the home of Mrs. Ida Woodard, on Trafalgar Square, where he had resided for many years. Mrs. Woodard, returning from church, found his body in the wood shed. He had been in poor health for some time and recently had been confined to his bed, but he appeared to be somewhat better on Sunday, being believed to have been the cause of his act. Solomon Woodard was the won of Abram and Nancy Frisbie Woodard and was born in the town of Naples on October 26, 1847, his death occurring on December 22, 1929. Most of his life was spent in this vicinity. He was a member of the Methodist Church of this village. He is survived by one son, William Woodard of Bristol Center, and four grandchildren; also by and several nieces and nephews. Funeral services were held yesterday afternoon at 2 o'clock from the home of Mrs. Ida Woodard, conducted by Rev. William Partington, pastor of the Methodist church, and interment was made in Rose Ridge cemetery.

From Geneva Advertiser 5 May 1903

Mrs. Philip R. Woodcock
died very suddenly at her home on Sherrill street last Thursday night, April 30th, of heart disease. There was no warning of it whatever. That day she had been about as usual, and attended the meetings at the Baptist Church that day, and well until about 8:30 in the evening. An hour later she was dead. Besides her husband, she leaves two sons and one daughter, George of Rochester, Charles of Geneva, and Mrs. Carey Newton, who is now in China. The remains were taken to Rochester where the family resided before coming here. Interment in Mount Hope Monday afternoon. Mr. Woodcock was away at the time of her death. He has the warm sympathy of all, for he is really a town's man, foremost in all good works.

From Geneva Daily Times 6 September 1904

Andrew Wooden,
aged fifty-two years, died Saturday of lockjaw at his farm, two miles east of this city. A week ago Mr. Wooden fell from a wagon while unloading manure on the farm and struck on his hand and bent his thumb back, lacerating it severely and breaking the bones so that they protruded through the flesh. He came to Geneva and had the wound dressed and seemed to be doing nicely until Friday, when lockjaw set in. It is supposed the tetanus germs came from the manure. Mr. Wooden leaves his wife and four children, also his mother and one sister. The funeral took place at the home at 3 o'clock this afternoon.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 11 July 1924

Geneva, July 10 - Benjamin Pardee Wooden,
84 years old, died today at the home in the New Pre-Emption road. Surviving are three daughters, Mrs. Arthur Condit, of Geneva, Mrs. Charles Vosburg, of Lynbrook, and Miss Elsa Wooden of Geneva. Funeral services will be held from the home at 2:30 o'clock Saturday afternoon, Rev. Frank Weston officiating. Interment will be made in the Wooden cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 14 September 1906

James H. Wooden, aged 73 years, died yesterday afternoon at 1:15 o'clock at his home about three miles northeast of this city. The deceased was born near Waterloo and has lived in this section of the country his entire life. About a year ago he was taken sick and has been gradually failing ever since. The survivors are a daughter, Mrs. James Maney, and a son, Harvey J. Wooden. The funeral will take place Sunday afternoon at three o'clock from his late home. Rev. C. E. Jewell, of the First Methodist church, will officiate. Burial will be in the Wooden family burial ground.

From Geneva Daily Times 19 January 1907

Mrs. James Wooden
died at her home northeast of the city last evening. The deceased is survived by one daughter, Marilla M. Maney, one son, H. J. Wooden, and one brother, Andrew Howard, all of this city. The funeral will be held from the house at two o'clock Monday afternoon. Rev. C. E. Jewell, pastor of the First Methodist church, will officiate. Burial will be made in the Wooden cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 27 February 1911

Mrs. Marion Wooden,
aged 90 years, died Saturday, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Charles Russell. The deceased had been a resident of this city for the last 27 years. The funeral took place this afternoon at 2:30 o'clock from the home of her daughter. Rev. Donald H. Carver, pastor of the North Presbyterian church, officiated. Interment in Glenwood Cemetery.

From Ontario County Chronicle 25 September 1901

The death of Mrs. Mary L. Wooden occurred yesterday morning at 3 o'clock at the family residence in Pultney street, Geneva. Mrs. Wooden was 44 years of age and had been in poor health for some time. She is survived by one daughter, Miss Rose, of Geneva and her father, Newman Noyes, of Fayette.

From Geneva Daily Times 12 November 1901

Mrs. Mary Wooden
died at the family residence three miles west of this city, at 7 o'clock last night, aged 76 years. The deceased was one of the oldest residents of this section.  She is survived by one son, Robert Wooden, residing at home, and by one daughter, Mrs. W. D. Dox, of this city.  The funeral arrangements are not yet completed.

From Ontario County Journal 14 July 1899

Phelps, N. Y. - Mrs. Charlotte Dillon Woodhouse,
wife of John Woodhouse, died at her home a few miles south of this village last week Tuesday night, aged 75 years. She had been sick for several weeks, her death being due to dropsy. Besides a husband, one son, William, of this village, survive. The funeral services were held last Friday afternoon at 1 o'clock, Rev. L. Bailey of Geneva officiating. Interment was made in the Phelps cemetery.

From Geneva Gazette 28 March 1879

James Woodin,
a well-known and respected farmer of Phelps, residing about 3 miles north of Geneva, died yesterday afternoon of consumption.  His age was 68 years.  The funeral will take place next Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock.

From Geneva Gazette 13 July 1888

Mrs. James Woodin,
a most estimable lady of Phelps, well advanced in years, died suddenly on Tuesday last of paralysis.  Her funeral took place yesterday and was largely attended.

From Geneva Daily Times 23 February 1915

Naples, N. Y. -
On Saturday occurred the death of Clarke Woodruff at his rooms in the Laundry block after an illness of several weeks. He was found by Tuttle Kenfield dead on the floor when he went to visit him. His wife and an only son died a few years ago. Funeral services were held from home of Oliver Woodruff on Monday at 2 o'clock, followed by burial at Rose Ridge Cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 2 September 1887

Suicide of a West Bloomfield Man - Saturday morning Edward P. Woodruff committed suicide in Chicago by shooting himself through the head with a revolver. He left a letter addressed "To the Newspapers," in which he said:  "It's nobody's business except my own. Give me a rest." In another letter he requested that his remains be sent to West Bloomfield, N. Y., for burial. The Democrat & Chronicle publishes a West Bloomfield dispatch which says: "Edward Payson Woodruff was the son of Colonel Arden Woodruff. He was born at Warsaw in 1840, and lived at Strykersville during boyhood. He was educated at Homer, N. Y., and at Andover, Mass. He had resided in Chicago for the past fifteen years. He leaves a wife and two children. The family have been separated for several years. The cause of the separation is not known here. The remains will be buried at West Bloomfield, beside his father who died here in 1875. He leaves an aged mother, residing at West Bloomfield, and a brother, Dr. C. P. Woodruff, residing at Allegan, Mich. The circumstances of his death are not known here.

From Ontario County Journal 29 March 1878

Mr. Frederick Woodruff,
of Farmington, an old resident, well-known in this vicinity, died of typhoid pneumonia at this home in Farmington, on Friday evening of last week, the 22nd inst.  His funeral was held at his late residence.

From Ontario County Journal 16 February 1894

Naples, N. Y. - Mrs. Helen Woodruff
died on Wednesday, February 7, of bronchial consumption, at the age of 38. She was the wife of O. M. Woodruff, proprietor of the Ontario Mills, and a most estimable woman. She had been feeble for several years. She was the daughter of Joseph Simons of this village. Her father and three sisters survive her. Three children, one a babe, are left motherless. There is much sympathy for Mr. Woodruff and family, as he himself is not strong, being a great sufferer from asthma.

From Ontario County Chronicle 9 November 1904

Shortsville, N. Y. - Mrs. Holman E. Woodruff
died at her home on Grove street, at half past eight on Friday evening, at the age of sixty-three years. She was a daughter of the late Leonard H. and Sarah Knapp of Hopewell, and was born in that town Nov. 22nd, 1841. On October 23, 1860, she was united in marriage with Holman E. Woodruff, also of Hopewell, and her whole life has been passed in this vicinity. Although Mrs. Woodruff had been ill since July, the serious nature of her disease was not realized by her friends until a few days before her death. She is survived by her husband, two daughters, Mrs. Miles Kingsley of Waterloo, and Mrs. Clarence D. Bentley of Shortsville; one brother, Albert Knapp of Manchester; one sister, Mrs. Ella Sutton of Hopewell; and three grandchildren, Dorthy, Hugh and Martha Bentley of Shortsville. The funeral was held at her late home at two o'clock on Monday afternoon, the Rev. Seymour C. Ferris, pastor of the Presbyterian church, officiating. The interment was in Brookside Cemetery in this village.

From Ontario County Journal 5 January 1900

The death of Mrs. Ida A. Woodruff, wife of Silas H. Woodruff, occurred at her home on West avenue on New Year's day. Mrs. Woodruff had been ill for nearly a year, having suffered from consumption. The deceased was 33 years of age. She is survived by her husband, two little sons, her father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. Reuben Link, two brothers, Theodore and Alonzo Link, and three sisters, Mrs. George Powell and Mrs. Ralph Spoor, of Reed's Corners; and Mrs. Fred Moore of this village. The funeral services were held from her late home on Wednesday morning, Rev. John Q. Adams officiating.

From Ontario County Journal 28 February 1913

The death of Mrs. Mary Roberts Woodruff, aged 80 years, occurred at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Artemus Lincoln, east lake road, last Friday. She had been confined to her bed for the past ten years. She leaves a son, Silas Woodruff of Hopewell and two daughters.

From Ontario County Journal 27 January 1911

Naples, N. Y. -
The death of Mrs. Rosa Drake Woodruff, wife of Clark Woodruff, of this village, occurred on Jan. 19. She was 57 years old and had spent her life here. Her parents were of English birth and have been dead some years. She married 30 years ago and had one son who was killed in a railroad accident on the New York Central after attaining to manhood. She had been a sufferer for several months. Her husband and one brother, Will of County Line, survive her. The funeral was held Monday, her pastor, Rev. S. T. Harding, officiating.

From Ontario County Journal 5 January 1900

Phelps, N. Y. - Sylvia H. Woodruff,
wife of the late Rev. W. D. Woodruff, who had been ill for some time, died about 8 o'clock last Tuesday morning, aged 77 years. Two sons, Charles and Edward, and one daughter, Mrs. Augusta Salisbury, survive. The funeral services were held from the residence on South Wayne street yesterday afternoon at 2:30, Rev. Mr. Waugh officiating. Interment was made in the Phelps cemetery.

From Ontario County Times 8 September 1880

Flint Creek, N. Y. - James Woods, Sen.,
died at his residence in this place on the morning of the 1st inst., at the advanced age of eighty-seven years, six months and twelve days, after an illness of about ten days. Mr. Woods was born in the State of New Jersey and came to this place about sixty years ago, and we think has lived on the same farm ever since. He was therefore one of the oldest inhabitants. His wife died about seven years ago, since which time his daughter, Mrs. Collar, has kept his house. Mr. Woods was highly respected in this community. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and was one of the founders of Emory Chapel, with which he has been connected ever since, adorning his profession with a well-ordered life. His funeral was attended at his late residence on the 3d inst., by a large concourse of neighbors and friends, who assembled to pay their last tribute of respect to the deceased. His remains were interred in the family lot at the Sand Hill cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 7 July 1893

The death of Eli Woodward, of this village, occurred last Friday, June 30, at the Long Island Hospital, cause of death being heart failure. His age was fifty-three years and six months. Until shortly before his death, Mr. Woodward was engaged in a government position on Ellis Island. His remains were brought to his home on Gorham street, and from there conveyed to his former home in Reed's Corners for burial.

From Ontario County Times 27 March 1878

Victor, N. Y. - Mr. Frederick Woodworth
of Farmington, well-known in this place, died at his home on Saturday, after a very short sickness of typhoid pneumonia. The funeral services were held at the house on Tuesday. They were conducted by the Rev. Thos. Borden. Deceased was fifty-two years of age. He leaves a wife, one son and a daughter, to mourn his loss.

From Geneva Daily Times 29 August 1944

Funeral services for Mrs. Eva P. Wooley of 155 Castle street, who died Sunday, August 27th, were held this afternoon from the Corwin Funeral Home, at 3:30 o'clock. The Rev. Lincoln Wadsworth of the First Baptist church officiated and burial was in Glenwood Cemetery. Bearers were Howard Turner, Arden Dadson, Earl Atkinson, Charles Edwards, Walden Booth and Elmer Cronk.

From Geneva Gazette 18 October 1878

The widow of the late Stephen Woolly died early yesterday morning, aged 44 years.  Her maiden name was Martha J. Hewlitt, her former residence Benton, where she was married about 21 years ago.  Mr. Woolly came to Geneva and embarked in business as a grocer about twelve years ago, but impaired health forced him to retire within two or three years. His illness proved fatal, and the bereaved widow was left to care and provide for a family of five young children.  This duty she admirably performed with the assistance of sympathizing relatives and friends, while the surviving children themselves (having also lost one of them) as they grew up became to her a help as well as comfort.  Mrs. Woolly has been failing in health for a year past, and a few weeks ago her illness assumed the form of pneumonia, baffling medical skill.  Mrs. Woolly was a member of the Presbyterian Church, and adorned the doctrine which professed.  For the trials and tribulations which she suffered on earth, may we not hope that she has entered upon a life of never-ending bliss.  The funeral will take place tomorrow at half past ten o'clock in the forenoon when her remains will be conveyed to Bellona for interment.

From Victor Herald 21 March 1902

Franklin Woolston,
a well-known and respected resident of the town of Victor, died at his home near Railroad Mills on Saturday, March 15th. Mr. Woolston had resided on the farm upon which he died all his lifetime of sixty-five years. His widow and three children survive, Miranda L., George and Elmer, also three brothers, John Woolston of Mendon, William Woolston and Daniel Woolston of Pittsford; two sisters, Mrs. Laura A. W. Hill and Mrs. Miranda Hill of Victor. The funeral was held from the house Wednesday afternoon at 1 p.m., Rev. A. J. Atkinson officiating. Interment at Pittsford.

From Ontario County Journal 3 April 1914

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - 
The death of George Woolston Sr., occurred at his home on Saturday evening very suddenly. Mr. Woolston was born at Hickland, England, on May 17, 1832. Before coming to America, in 1852, he married Miss Sabina Nudd. They have lived 62 years in America, and 50 years of this time had been spent on the home farm, where by his frugality and genial manner, he won the respect and esteem of his town's people. Those left to mourn his loss, beside a large circle of friends, are his aged wife, Mrs. Sabina Woolston, and five daughters and two sons, Mrs. Lena Appleton, Canandaigua; Mrs. Elizabeth Tooley, Ionia; Mrs. Mary Appleton, John Woolston, Mrs. Alice Silvernail; George Woolston. Jr.; Mrs Maude Crocker, and many grandchildren and great-grandchildren; also an aged brother, John Woolston of Ridgway.

From Ontario County Journal 11 December 1896

Victor, N. Y. -  Mrs. John Woolston
died at her home in the western part of the town on Monday, Nov. 30, aged 51 years. She had been ill a long time and her death was not unexpected. The funeral was held last Wednesday afternoon, Rev. Mr. Bard officiating. Besides her husband, she leaves two sons and one brother, S. S. Luch.

From Fairport Herald Mail 23 February 1922

John A. Woolston,
aged 84 years, died at his home in the town of Victor, on Saturday last, Feb. 18, 1922. He is survived by a son, Dr. William F. Woolston, of Victor; two brothers, William J. Woolston of Perinton, and Daniel D. Woolston of Pittsford, and six grandchildren. Funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock at his late residence on the Mendon-Victor road. Interment was in the Boughton Hill cemetery.

From Victor Herald 30 June 1894

Died at North Bloomfield, N. Y., June 13th at the home of her daughter, Mrs. W. R. Hunt, Naomi Woolston, aged 83 years. Naomi Ford was born in Onondaga county, September 8th, 1810. She removed with her parents to Victor in childhood. She married John Woolston in 1828 and with him settled on a farm near Fishers, where they lived continually 40 years. Her husband died in Mendon in 1870, since which time she has found a home with her daughters. She was the mother of eleven children, three died in infancy and seven are still living, six of whom were present at her funeral. She leaves besides her daughters, one brother and two sisters. In her early married life she, with her husband, united with the Baptist church at Mendon, and for more than sixty years was a faithful, consistent member of the society, and the close of her long life reflected the joy and peace found in the faith of the saving love of her Divine Master. She was buried beside her husband at Mendon, Friday, June 15th, followed by numerous relatives and friends of the family. The services were held at the Presbyterian church, Rev. Mr. Smith officiating.

From Ontario County Journal 15 December 1916

East Bloomfield, N. Y. -
The death of Mrs. Sabina Woolston, aged 83 years, occurred at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Silvernail, on Friday evening. She was born in Norfolk, England, and came to America with Mr. Woolston, her husband, in 1852. At the time of Mr. Woolston's death, about two and one-half years ago, they had resided on the home farm for a little more than 50 years. They were the parents of eight children, one, Louise, dying at the age of 18 years. The seven to survive are Mrs. William Appleton, Mrs. Richard Appleton, Mrs. William Tooley, Mrs. Theodore Silvernail, George Woolston, John Woolston and Mrs. Eugene Crooker; also two sisters, Mrs. Lena Hallock and Mrs. Priscilla Sweeney, and a number of grandchildren. The floral offerings were beautiful and attested in a way to the love and esteem of her many friends.

From Ontario County Journal 16 March 1888

Fishers, N. Y. - Wm. Woolston, of Rail Road Mills, died Tuesday night. He was eighty years and nine months old. He was born and always lived in this town. He leaves six children, John Woolston, Jr., Daniel Woolston, Frank Woolston, and Mrs. Geo. Hill, Mrs. Wm. Hill, all of this place, funeral at the house today (Friday) at twelve o'clock.

From Ontario County Journal 17 February 1888

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - Chas. Worallo, who has been sick for some time, departed this life last Tuesday morning, aged 78 years. Funeral services were held Thursday at 2:30 p.m. in the Congregational church.

From Geneva Courier 27 February 1856

Alvah Worden -
This distinguished individual died at his residence in Canandaigua on Saturday, the 16th inst. after a long and painful illness, in the 59th year of his life.  In his legal profession, he was ranked among the first in the state.  In 1835, he entered into co-partnership with Mark H. Sibley, in the practice of the law.  Mr. Worden has represented the people of this county several times in our Legislature, was elected in 1846 a delegate to revise the State Constitution, and afterwards appointed one of the three commissioners to simplify the code of this state.   In his death, the people of this county lose one of their most distinguished citizens.

From Phelps Citizen 27  July 1926

Mrs. Caroline M. Worden,
widow of John B. Worden, died at her home in the northeastern section of the town, on Thursday morning, at the age of 78 years. Mrs. Worden is survived by two daughters, Mrs. R. C. Kise of Clyde and Mrs. G. M. Rising of Newark; and four sons, Eugene, Charles and Albert of Phelps and Fred of Scottsville; besides five sisters, twenty-one grandchildren and fourteen great-grandchildren. Funeral services were held on Sunday afternoon, the Rev. A. J. Thomas of the Lyons Presbyterian church officiating. Burial was made in the South Lyons cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 7 December 1888

Bristol, N. Y. - Mrs. Elizabeth Brown Worden, after a severe illness of malarial fever, died Nov. 25th, aged 59 years. She was buried in the Covel Settlement cemetery, the Rev. Mr. Barber having charge of the ceremonies.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 25 July 1919

Phelps, N. Y., July 24 - John V. Worden, age 75 years, died at his home in Maryland street, four miles northeast of Phelps, last evening. He was born at Rose, April 13, 1844, and had been a resident of the town of Phelps for the last fifteen years. He was a veteran of the Civil war, having served two years with Company M, Ninth New York Heavy Artillery. Surviving relatives are his wife; four sons, Eugene, Bert and Charles Worden, of Phelps, and Fred Worden, of Lyons; two daughters, Mrs. Harley Kise, of Clyde, and Mrs. Dudley M. Rising, of Clifton Springs. Funeral services will be held at the house Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock, Rev. C. C. MacLean, minister of the Phelps Presbyterian Church, officiating. Interment will be in South cemetery, Lyons.

From Ontario County Journal 9 January 1914

Naples, N. Y. -  Mrs. Martha Worden
died January 3, at the home of her son, Albert Worden, in Boswell's Corners, South Bristol, aged 85 years. She was an esteemed citizen of the town. Her husband had been dead many years. She leaves two sons and five daughters. The funeral was held Thursday at 2 p.m., the pastor of the church at Baptist Hill officiating.

From Shortsville Enterprise 7 May 1914

The death of Paul Worden, one of the oldest and best-known residents of this section, occurred on Sunday morning at the home of his daughter, Mrs. James Warner, about four miles northeast of this village. His age was 83 years. Mr. Worden has been in poor health for a number of months. Mr. Worden was born in the township of Farmington on January 24, 1832, on what is known as the Darius Rush farm. When about 12 years of age he went to live with Assemblyman Thomas McLouth, where he remained until he was 21 years old. He also resided in Bristol at one time, but about 70 years of his life was passed in this section. He was town constable of Bristol for two years and served in the same capacity in the town of Manchester for 17 years. Two years each were spent as town collector for the above named townships. He completed his last term as such in this township in 1913. He was also known as a weather forecaster of considerable ability. The deceased chose as his life partner early in life, Miss Louise Wheat of Manchester, who passed to the great beyond several years ago. He was of a family of eight children, and his father came from Tioga county nearly a century ago. His grandfather, Sylvester Worden, was a Revolutionary pensioner. He was a member of Manchester Grange and Manchester M. E. Church. The survivors are three daughters, Mrs. Warner and Mrs. William H. Post of Manchester, and Miss Ethel Worden of Clifton Springs; two sons, Loren Worden of Canandaigua and Arthur Worden of Manchester; also one brother, Marven Worden, of Lima. The funeral obsequies were held from the Manchester M. E. church on Tuesday afternoon at two o'clock, the pastor, Rev. W. W. Lane, officiating. The burial followed in Manchester village cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 10 February 1888

Bristol Center, N. Y. - Last Sunday the funeral of Mrs. Sally Worden, relict of the late Samuel Worden, was held in this place. Her age was 86 years. But one of her eight children survives her, and it has been this daughter's privilege to console and care for her aged mother in her last years, and to that end has her whole time and attention been given.

From Naples Record 3 April 1875

The last tributes of respect are to be paid Mr. Samuel Worden, Jr., today. He died Wednesday morning of consumption, from which he has suffered a long time; he would walk out every day until about three weeks ago; since then he failed rapidly. The question has been asked, "has Samuel an enemy in the past?" The answer is "no." Quiet and peaceably, he passed into the hands of his God where his father, two brothers and four sisters have gone leaving his mother and one sister behind.

From Ontario County Journal 29 December 1916

Bristol Valley, N. Y. -
On Saturday, John Worden received word of the death of his brother, Squire Worden, of West Bloomfield. Mr. Worden was 70 years old and was well-known through the town of Bristol. He leaves, besides his wife, three daughters, Mrs. James Flood and Mrs. J. W. Leary of East Bloomfield, and Mrs. Charles Freer of Springwater; also three brothers, George and John Worden, of Bristol, and Sylvester Worden of Pennsylvania. The funeral was held from his late home on Monday.

From Ontario County Journal 20 November 1891

Canadice, N. Y. - Mr. Sylvester Worden
died on the 8th inst. of pneumonia. The funeral services were held at the late residence of the deceased on the 11th inst., Rev. Walter Dynes officiating. Mr. Worden was a man respected by all.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 3 April 1933

Geneva, Apr. 2 - Walter Worden,
retired city employee, died this morning after a short illness at his home, 397 Castle Street. Mr. Worden was employed by the Board of Public Works for 33 years. He was one of the best known of the city's aids. He retired about a year ago. He leaves two sons, Walter H. Worden of Rochester and Harry G. Worden of Auburn; and two grandchildren. Funeral services will take place Tuesday at 2:30 o'clock, with the Rev. Alexander Thompson officiating.

From Geneva Daily Times 17 December 1897

Mrs. Worden, wife of Walter Worden, died at noon today at the family residence, 397 Castle street. She had been very low for many weeks and her death was not unexpected. She had recently submitted to an operation in a Rochester hospital, but no relief was found. Besides her husband, she leaves one son, Walter H. Worden.

From Ontario County Times 6 September 1882

Seneca, N. Y. -
Sunday evening, Mr. Jacob Wormly, aged 75, suddenly died at the residence of his son-in-law, Judge Charles Ottley. Mr. W. has for many years filled a large place in the public mind as hotel keeper, auctioneer, &c. His family connection was very numerous. He was a kindhearted man and universally beloved. His funeral was attended from the residence of Judge Ottley by a large concourse of friends and relatives. Mr. W. has made his home since his wife's death, some two or more years since, with his daughter, Mrs. Joel Page, but as Mr. P. and family were at Sodus for a couple of weeks, Mr. W. was temporarily with his daughter, Mrs. Ottley. Rev. W. M. Hermans of the M. E. Church, assisted by the Presbyterian clergyman, conducted the funeral exercises. Chas. Wormly came on from his Kansas home to attend the funeral of his father, and will remain some weeks with his sisters and other friends here.

From Naples Record 18 December 1929

The death of Gerhart Worsing, of Gorham, occurred last Thursday, December 12, 1929. His age was 64 years. For a number of years deceased was a residence of Naples. For two or three years, he was in the employ of the late Joseph H. Loveland, and later purchased the Gillett farm, on the Italy Hollow road; after a few years, he disposed of this property and purchased a farm in Gorham, where he had since resided. Deceased is survived by one son, Frederick Worsing of Gorham; two sisters, Mrs. Elizabeth Dantz of Atlanta, N. Y., and Mrs. Philip Dantz of Cohocton; one brother, Henry Worsing of Atlanta; and one grandson, Frederick Worsing, Jr. of Gorham. Funeral services were held from the home on Sunday.

From Ontario County Journal 12 November 1875

Mrs. Ambrose Worthington
died very suddenly at the family residence in West Bloomfield on Monday morning, the 1st inst. She was an estimable lady, and her sudden death is sincerely regretted by all who knew her.

From Ontario County Journal 30 April 1909

Allen's Hill, N. Y. -
On Monday, at the home of William Seymour, occurred the death of James R. Worthington, aged 65 years, death being due to a malignant disease of cancer. Some little time ago he went to the Canandaigua hospital, where he remained for some time. On March 15, he was removed from the hospital to the home of Mr. Seymour, and everything possible in the way of medical assistance was done for him, but to no avail, as no power of science could save his life. The farm which was his birth place and which he had always lived on was situated in the town of West Bloomfield just over the Richmond town line. Mr. Worthington was forced to give up active participation in business affairs several months ago. He was recognized as a most successful farmer, as he was a man of advanced ideas in his business as well as of the strictest integrity in all his dealings. He served the town at various times as assessor and was elected to the highest office with which it could honor him, that of supervisor, which office he filled with credit and honor. For many years he was an active and valued member of the Allens Hill Methodist church, uniting with it when 19 years old. In the church are many evidences of his love, for the house of God and these memorials of his care have become doubly dear because of the giver. At the time of his death, he held the office of trustee and treasurer, and was a member of the Sabbath school. His presence was always welcome, being gentlemanly in manner and interesting in conversation. There is lost a kind and obliging neighbor, friend and fellow worker. His influence will be for all time. Of a singular modesty, shrinking from the public gaze, yet none has known a man of whom it can more truthfully be said that his left hand knew not of what his right hand was bestowing. But it is impossible to hide a city that is set upon a hill. He could not be unknown. His life could not be hid. Brief services were held at the home of Mr. Seymour on Wednesday morning and the remains were brought to Allens Hill and the funeral was held at 2 o'clock from the Methodist church, Rev. J. G. Hann officiating. The interment was in the cemetery here beside his parents and sister, who passed away many years ago.

From Ontario County Journal 24 November 1911

Marion P. Worthy,
a veteran of the Civil war, for several terms a member of the board of supervisors, representing the town of Richmond, and for some years past court crier in County and Supreme courts, passed away suddenly at his home on Bristol street, on Monday afternoon, aged 72 years. Mr. Worthy was born in Poughkeepsie. His parents removed to Allen Hill when he was a youth. For many years, Mr. Worthy conducted the general store at Allen's Hill, and also served as postmaster. He became a member of Company C, Fourth Heavy Artillery, when the Civil war broke out, and served three years with honor. About 25 years ago, Mr. Worthy removed with his family to this village. He was a member of the Masonic lodge and of A. M. Murray post, and had served as a member of this village board of trustees. For some time, Mr. Worthy held a clerkship in the local post office. He was also a captain of the steamer Onnalinda for a number of seasons, and it was in those positions that he acquired a wide and favorable acquaintance through his always affable, courteous and genial manner. Mr. Worthy had in recent years passed through distressing periods of sickness, and, while in feeble health, was active and about up to the very moment of his death, retaining in his salutation of friends and his general bearing all of his native geniality. Mr. Worthy was engaged in milling at Chapinville for a number of years.

The deceased is survived by his wife, who was Miss Celestia Case, of West Bloomfield, to whom he was married over 50 years ago, and one daughter, Mrs. Eison T. Case. A sister, Mrs. Sarah MacComber, of Poughkeepsie, and a half-brother, Frank Worthy, of Honeoye, also survive. Rev. Dewitt S. Hooker conducted the services at the home on Wednesday afternoon and burial was in Woodlawn.

From Ontario County Times 23 October 1878

Mortimer P. Worthy,
a prominent citizen of the town of Richmond, in this county, died at his home at Allen's Hill, on the 16th instant. Mr. Worthy was a native of Massachusetts, but established himself early in life at Poughkeepsie, in this state, where he was for many years engaged in trade. He removed from Poughkeepsie about twenty years ago locating at Allen's Hill. His death is supposed to have been caused by an attack of apoplexy. He had not been quite well for several days previous, although not so much indisposed as to be confined to his house. It was noticed on Wednesday morning that his utterance was a little impeded but he kept about as usual, until about four o'clock in the afternoon when he was suddenly prostrated and almost immediately expired. The deceased was the father of Marion P. Worthy, who represents the town of Richmond this year in the board of supervisors.

From Geneva Daily Times 6 October 1938

Mrs. Myrtle Wortman,
66, of 475 Exchange street, widow of Asa Wortman, died this noon at the Geneva General Hospital following a long illness. She is survived by one son, Dell; two sisters, Mrs. Jack Timms of Geneva, and Mrs. Jerry Tennant of Dundee. Funeral services will be held Saturday afternoon at 1 o'clock from the Bennett Funeral Home, with the Rev. Shields T. Hardin of the First bride's parents church officiating. Interment will be in Glenwood Cemetery.

Return to Ontario County Homepage

Copyright 2005-16, Ontario County NYGenWeb and each contributor and author of materials herein. All rights reserved.