"Wi" to "Wilk" Obituaries

From Shortsville Enterprise 12 November 1914

The death of Mrs. Mary Elizabeth Wiborn, a well-known resident of Farmington, occurred at her home in that township about 4 o'clock on Sunday afternoon, following a long illness. Her age was nearly 76 years. During the month of July last, Mrs. Wiborn had the misfortune to fall and break her hip and had never recovered from the effects of the injury. She was born on January 5, 1839, in the house where her demise occurred, and she had always made her home there. Her parents were the late John H. and Minerva Power Nichols. She was a faithful member of the Manchester Methodist Episcopal church, having lately been transferred to that church from the Victor church. The survivors are two sons, John Wiborn and Francis Wiborn, residents of Farmington, and one daughter, Mrs. Gracia Blym of Phelps. The funeral obsequies were held from her late home on Tuesday afternoon at 1:30 o'clock, the services being conducted by Rev. W. W. Lane, pastor of the Manchester M. E. Church. The burial followed in the North Farmington cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 21 July 1908

Mrs. Murilla Wickham,
aged 65 years, died yesterday afternoon at 5 o'clock at the Hygienic Institute, where she had been a patient for about a year. She is survived by one son and one daughter and her home was formerly in New York City. The remains were taken to the home of relatives in Dundee, where the funeral will take place. Burial will be made in Dundee.

From Ontario County Times 5 February 1890

Bristol, N. Y. -  William Wickham
died at his resident Friday morning, Jan. 31st. Mr. Wickham leaves a wife, two daughters, and one son, to mourn his loss. The funeral services were held in the Universalist Church, Sunday, Feb. 2. Rev. E. B. Barber officiated.

From Ontario County Journal 18 September 1896

Academy, N. Y. - Mrs. Abigail F. Wicks
died on Monday morning after six days' illness. Her husband, William Wicks, has been sick two weeks with typhoid fever and the overwork necessary in caring for him caused her illness. Mrs. Wick was 34 years old.

From Ontario County Journal 7 November 1884

Mr. Calvin Wicks,
a resident of this village and living with his family on Bemis street, committed suicide by cutting his throat with a pocket knife Wednesday afternoon about 5 o'clock. He went into the cellar of his house and laid down upon some straw and committed the deed. His wife, who had been out, came home and discovered something was wrong, and called in some neighbors who found her husband near the cellar door standing up. They assisted him up stairs and called a physician, when it was first discovered that he had cut his throat. Mr. Wicks was yet conscious, and the physician, who did not consider the wounds necessarily fatal, was dressing it when he expired. Coroner Jewett and a jury investigated the case yesterday afternoon, and came to the conclusion that deceased came to his death by his own hand, without any known cause. He was nearly 60 years of age. He leaves a wife and several grown-up children.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 1 September 1938

Canandaigua, N. Y. - 
In the home at 31 North Pearl St. at 2:30 p.m. Friday, will be held funeral services for Edward Adelbert Wicks, 74. Wicks was found dead in a shop in the rear of his home late Tuesday. Death was attributed to heart disease. Burial will be in Woodlawn cemetery. Surviving are the widow; four sons, Charles D., Canton, N. Y., Arthur C., Rochester, Fred E. and Floyd A. Wicks, Canandaigua; two daughters, Mrs. Mabel E. Rodney and Miss Catherine C. Wicks, both of this city; two sisters, Mrs. Elizabeth Twist, Canandaigua, and Mrs. Ida Shelton, Watkins; and a brother, William, Canandaigua.

From Geneva Daily Times 24 November 1905

Canandaigua, N. Y. -
Wednesday night occurred the death of John L. Wicks at his home east of the village, aged 75 years. He had long resided on the farm where he died. Mr. Wicks suffered a slight stroke of paralysis while at work Wednesday, from which he appeared to recover. That night about 10 o'clock he passed away. He leaves three sons, George, Edward and William; also three daughters, Miss Ida Wicks, Mrs. Elizabeth Bird and Mrs. Lulu O'Connell, all of this place.

From Ontario County Journal 16 February 1894

Alois Widman
died at his home near Wheeler's Station Tuesday morning, aged 74 years. Mr. Widman was formerly a resident of this village, and was one of the first tailors in Canandaigua. His death was supposed to have been due to poisoning, he having come in contact with poison ivy while at work on his farm last summer. The funeral was held yesterday afternoon and his remains were placed in the vault at Woodlawn. Mr. Widman was an uncle of Wm. Widman, the well-known shoe dealer of this village. He was a member of the local lodge, I. O. O. F., and the funeral service was conducted by them. He left a wife but no children.

From Ontario County Chronicle 11 June 1902

The remains of Mrs. Henrietta Widman, formerly of this place, were brought here Sunday for burial. She died on Saturday night at the Odd Fellows' Home in Lockport, aged 84 years. The deceased was a widow of the late Alois Widman, a widely-known and longtime Canandaigua business man. She had many friends but few relatives here. Her husband was one of the organizers and the first noble grand of Canandaigua Lodge, I. O. O. F. He was active in the lodge work, and some time later he and his wife were instrumental in the organization at this place of the Rebekah chapter, or woman's auxiliary of the Odd Fellows' order. That chapter has now passed out of existence here. The funeral of Mrs. Widman was held yesterday afternoon from St. John's church, Rev. C. J. Clausen officiating.

From Geneva Daily Times 30 October 1906

Clifton Springs, N. Y. -
Late Saturday night occurred the death of Mrs. Viergenie Cortoriend, wife of Frank Wiemer, of this village. Mrs. Wiemer had been a resident of this village for over twenty years. She was born in Belgium and was 70 years old. She has been ill for the past two years. She is survived by her husband and one son, Benjamin, of Clifton Springs.

From Ontario County Journal 17 January 1919

Naples, N. Y. - 
On Saturday afternoon neighbors found the body of Albert Wiesenberger dead in his bed at his home on the lake road, where he lived alone. It is thought he had been dead for some time. He walked to the village on Thursday afternoon, as he was accustomed to do often. He was 81 years old. He leaves one son, Albert Wiesenberger of Highland Park, Ill., and two granddaughters. Funeral services were held from the Presbyterian church on Monday afternoon, Rev. A. B. Aldrich officiating.

From Geneva Daily Times 3 November 1903

Phelps, Nov. 3 -
The death of George Wiess occurred at his home north of Phelps Sunday evening. Mr. Wiess was a native of Germany but came to this country forty-nine years ago and had lived here during the entire time. He was 72 years of age and is survived by three sons and one daughter, Charles, William and Mrs. John Greenwood of this village, and George, of Buffalo. The funeral will be held Wednesday.

From Ontario County Journal 24 January 1896

North Bloomfield, N. Y. -
The remains of Casey Wiggins, an old resident of this place, were laid to rest in the cemetery on Saturday. He was well known all around. His age was 84 years.

From Ontario County Journal 28 June 1895

Miller's Corners, N. Y. - Mrs. Celia Wiggins,
aged 88 years, widow of the late John Wiggins, died at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. George Clark, at Hulberton, Orleans county, June 23, 1895. Mrs. Wiggins was one of the pioneers of Ontario county, having lived at Victor and Miller's Corners in her early days. The remains were interred at the latter place June 25. Mrs. Wiggins leaves three daughters, 10 grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren.

From Lima Recorder 5 May 1921

Another life long resident of this vicinity, Mrs. Ella Huxley Beman Wiggins, passed away Monday morning in her home south of town near the Lima-Livonia town lines, aged nearly 79 years. Mrs. Wiggins was the daughter of Edward and Abigal Phillips Beman, and was born, June 17, 1842, in the house in which she died. She was educated at Lima Seminary and taught for a number of years in the district schools hereabouts. In 1870, occurred her marriage to Theodore E. Wiggins, who passed away in January, 1902. Mrs. Wiggins was a woman of the practical type of Christianity, and united with the local Baptist Church nearly 60 years ago. She was the oldest living member, and was the last of a family of 5 children. Mrs. Wiggins leaves a daughter, Mrs. John R. Green, of Allen's Hill; two grandchildren, Ellen and Theodore Wiggins, of Lima; a daughter-in-law, Mrs. Ruth Wiggins, of Lima; a nephew, Attorney Willis E. Hopkins, of Attica. A son, Ervin, died in March of last year.
The funeral was held Wednesday afternoon at 2 from her late home, Rev. L. L. Swartout, officiating, assisted by Rev. Guy Ovenshire, of Allen's Hill M. E. church. The following old pupils of Mrs. Wiggins acted as bearers: Mr. P. Allen, Herbert Bennett, G. Frank Gray, G. Fred I Gray, Marvin Peck, Walter H. Sherman. Interment was in the family lot at North Bloomfield cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 14 October 1887

Miller's Corners, N. Y. - John Wiggins
was buried at Miller's Corners last Sunday. He was an old resident and will be greatly missed by all the people in our place. He was very genial, having a welcome word for fall. Rev. J. E. Tiffany preached the funeral sermon. The deceased leaves an aged widow and one daughter to mourn his loss.

From Livonia Gazette 10 January 1902

Theodore Wiggins, a well-known and highly respected resident of the town of Mendon, died Tuesday morning at his home, two miles southeast of Honeoye Falls. He was born in Mendon sixty years ago and was one of its most prosperous farmers.
For the past year he had been in poor health. Heart disease was the cause of his death. He leaves, besides his wife, one daughter, Mrs. John Green, of Allen's Hill, and one son, Irving [sic-Ervin], who lived at home, two brothers, John and Glen of Michigan, and two sisters, Mrs. W. P. Davis and Mrs. John Crystal, both of Rochester.

From Ontario County Journal 9 May 1879

Died, on Sunday morning, May 4th, Brownell Wilber, aged 70 years. Mr. Wilber was born in Madison county, N. Y. He came to Victor in the year 1867, where he resided up to his death. He purchased from Mr. Sol. Carman the flouring mill in East Victor, and conducted the milling business up to the year 1876, when he retired from active business, and moved to the village of Victor, and here lived until his death. Mr. W. was an energetic business man, and correct and honorable in all his dealings with his fellow men. He leaves a wife and two children, a son and daughter, and a host of friends to mourn his loss.

From Shortsville Enterprise 14 January 1915

The remains of Ephriam Wilber of West Bloomfield, a former resident of Manchester village and Manchester township, were brought to the Stoddard undertaking rooms in this village on Friday and on Saturday were interred in Brookside cemetery. The services were held at the M. E. church in Manchester, conducted by Rev. W. W. Lane, pastor of the church. His age was 71 years. Mr. Wilber was born on a farm north of Palmyra village, a son of Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Wilber. When a young lad, he went to Manchester township with his parents to reside on a farm. In 1893 he built the hotel known as the Wilber house, near the Lehigh Valley Railroad in Manchester and conducted the same for a number of years. About 10 years of his life were passed in the employ of the New York Central Railroad Company. In 1909 he removed to West Bloomfield and engaged in the ice business. He was considered one of the best horsemen in this section of the State. The survivors are his wife, who was formerly Miss Amanda Smith, to whom he was married in 1864; one son, Harry Wilber, and a grandson, Kenneth Wilber, both of West Bloomfield; also a sister, Mrs. Henry Rose of Manchester township, and a brother, Allen Wilber, who resides in the State of Nebraska.

From Geneva Daily Times 1 April 1907

Manchester, N. Y. - The community is saddened by the death of Mrs. Harry Wilber, which occurred at her home, two miles north of this village Saturday morning, of quick consumption, after an illness of about six weeks, her young life being cut short before she was 18 years of age. Besides her infant child, she is survived by her husband, Harry Wilber of this town, her father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. John Vennery, two brothers, Isaac and John; and three sisters, Cassie, Lillian and Grace, all of Farmington, and two half brothers, Sidney and James Carr, and one half sister, Mrs. Peter Maine of Brownsville.

From Ontario County Chronicle 1 April 1903

Port Gibson, N. Y. - Henry M. Wilber,
a well-to-do farmer one mile south of Port Gibson, dropped dead in his barn Thursday evening. Mr. Wilber's wife died about four years ago, and for the past three years has lived alone. He was last seen at about 6 o'clock in the evening on his way to the barn, and was evidently doing his chores when stricken down. His body was not discovered until Friday morning, when one of his neighbors, surmising that something must be wrong as the barn door was wide open and the cows were roaming about the yard, went to the barn to investigate, and found Wilber lying dead on the floor. He was 76 years old, and is survived by a son, M. H. Wilber of Newark.

From Ontario County Journal 20 April 1894

Honeoye, N. Y. -
On Sunday, April 8, occurred the death of Mrs. Abigail Cornell Wilbur, at the home of her son-in-law, Frank L. Ashley. She was the widow of Leonidas Wilbur, who died in 1876, and mother of Dr. L. F. Wilbur, Mrs. L. L. Pierpont, Mrs. Nelson Pierpont of Owasso, Mich., and Mrs. F. L. Ashley and Miss Fanny Wilbur of this place. Mrs. Wilbur has been in failing health for a number of years. Had she lived until the 11th, the day of her burial, she would have reached the age of 88 years.

From Ontario County Times 7 May 1879

Victor, N. Y. - Mr. Brownell Wilbur,
after a long sickness, died at his home in this place on Saturday morning. The funeral services were held at the house on Monday afternoon. The Rev. Mr. Babb conducted the services.

From Victor Herald 4 May 1895

Mrs. Clifford Wilbur
died at her home in Farmington April 28th. The funeral was held from the Baptist church at Manchester on Wednesday last at 3 p.m. The deceased was the daughter of Mr. M. L. McLouth; her husband and one child survive her.

From Geneva Daily Times 23 January 1905

Phelps, N. Y. -
The funeral of Mrs. Cordelia Wilbur, who died Friday, was held yesterday afternoon, Rev. C. E. Gregory of the Presbyterian church conducting the services. The deceased was the widow of the late Lyman Wilbur and had been a resident of this village for the past fifty-three years. A few days ago she suffered a stroke of paralysis which was the direct cause of her death. Mrs. Wilbur was a member of the Presbyterian church. She was seventy-six years of age and is survived by one daughter, Miss Louise Wilbur, with whom she lived.

From Ontario County Journal 10 April 1891

Clifton Springs, N. Y. -
On Wednesday morning last the sad news was received from Jordan, N. Y., of the death of Mrs. E. J. Wilbur, of this village. But a few days ago Mrs. Wilbur was called to Brooklyn to attend the funeral of a sister who had died of pneumonia. When returning she stopped at the home of another sister in Jordan, and there fell prostrated before the same dread disease. The deceased was a woman liked and loved by all, and her sorrowing children and husband have the sympathy of a host of friends both in this village and at Gypsum, her former home.

From Ontario County Journal 30 December 1898

Naples, N. Y. - Ephraim Wilbur,
said to have been the oldest person in town, died on Thursday, Dec. 22, aged 92 years and four months. His home had been in Hunt's Hollow for about 65 years. He raised a family of 12 children, nine of whom are living.

From Geneva Daily Times 18 January 1908

Phelps, N. Y. -
The death of Hiram C. Wilbur, aged 55 years, occurred at his home on Eagle street early yesterday morning, after an illness of a few days with pneumonia. He leaves one daughter, Mrs. C. L. Lewis of Rochester, and two sons, Harry and George, both of whom reside here.

From Ontario County Journal 11 September 1914

The death of Mrs. Hortensia M. Wilbur, wife of Cyrus H. Wilbur, occurred at her home in Cheshire yesterday noon. Deceased was born in Canandaigua on February 24, 1831, and has lived in Cheshire. She was the daughter of Thomas J. Lucas. In 1835 she was married to Cyrus H. Wilbur, who with one son, Hiram Melvin, survives. The funeral services will be held at the home tomorrow afternoon at 2 o'clock. Rev. Herbert L. Gaylord will officiate. Interment will be in Pine Bank cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 31 August 1894

Port Gibson, N. Y. - John P. Wilbur
died very suddenly at his home near this village on Thursday morning of last week, in the 75th year of his age. On the night preceding he was attacked by fainting spells while working in the barn. Medical aid was summoned, but he continued to sink, and died early the next morning. The funeral was held at the home on Sunday afternoon, and was very largely attended. The Rev. John Easter, a former pastor, officiated, assisted by Rev. J. C. Hitchcock. Mr. Wilbur was born in Hillsdale, Columbia county, in 1820, and came here in 1849. He was a faithful member of the M. E. church, and was universally respected as an upright and useful citizen. Besides a wife, he leaves four children: Mrs. Emma Bird, of Newark; Clifford J. Wilbur of Orleans, and Mrs. Emma Kelley and Edgar M. Wilbur, who live at home. At the time of his death, Mrs. Wilbur was in Port Byron, at the bedside of her mother, who has since died.

From Ontario County Journal 8 September 1911

Honeoye, N. Y. -  Dr. L. F. Wilbur
died at his home on Saturday, after a short illness, aged 79 years. He was one of the oldest physicians in western New York. Dr. Wilbur was the son of Leonides and Abigail Cornell Wilbur and was born in Londonderry, Vt., in 1832. His parents moved to Richmond Center about 1850. He received his medical education in Harvard university and attended the lectures of Oliver Wendell Holmes. He graduated in the class of 1854. In 1857 he was married to Miss Caroline F. Martin, of Providence, R. I., with whom he enjoyed 54 years of married life. Dr. and Mrs. Wilbur have lived in Honeoye over 50 years. Dr. Wilbur was a member of the Ontario County Medical society for over 50 years. For many years he was secretary of Eagle Lodge No. 619, F. and A. M. He was a trustee of the Lake View Cemetery association and was president of the board of trustees of Honeoye public library at the time of his death. Dr. Wilbur was a lifelong Republican and always took an active interest in the welfare of the town. Besides his wife, he leaves two daughters, Mrs. Charles C. Miller of Lima, O., and Mrs. George Rymers of Albany; one son, Hollis Wilbur of Kobo, Japan; eight grandchildren; and two sisters, Miss Fannie Wilbur and Mrs. Ellen Ashley, both of this place. Dr. Wilbur was a member of the Congregational church. The funeral services were held from the family residence Tuesday afternoon and were conducted by Revs. Walter Hawthorne and John Short. The burial was in Lake View cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 30 May 1890

Last Friday evening, the dead body of Leman Wilbur, a well-known citizen of Phelps, was found in the horse shed of the Methodist Church in Phelps village. The deceased had been in ill health for some time and an autopsy showed that death resulted from heart disease. He was 42 years old.

From Ontario Repository and Messenger 21 June 1876

Leonidas Wilbur
of Richmond died in that town on the 11th inst., after a short illness. He was one of the foremost citizens of the town, and his loss will be deeply felt. His age was about seventy-eight years.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 27 November 1922

Naples, Nov. 26 -
Funeral services for Mrs. Louisa Bailey Wilbur, wife of Overseer of the Poor Theron W. Wilbur, will be held at 2 o'clock tomorrow afternoon at the family home in Lyon street. Dr. Joseph H. France, pastor of the Presbyterian church will officiate. Interment will be in Rose Ridge cemetery.  Mrs. Wilbur died on Friday night, after a long illness. She was the daughter of George and Derinda Bailey, and was born in Naples on September 10, 1847. With the exception of one year in Nebraska, all of her life has been spent in this country. She was united in marriage to Thornton W. Wilbur on February 20, 1865. They made their home on a farm in Hunts Hollow until eight years ago, when they took up their residence in Lyon Street. While living in Hunts Hollow, Mrs. Wilbur was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. She was a member of Circle No. 3 of the Millard Missionary Society. Besides her husband she is survived by one son, Dr. D. S. Wilbur, health officer of Naples, and one daughter, Mrs. Nellie Ryan, of Naples.

From Ontario County Journal 1 November 1895

Phelps, N. Y. - Mrs. Lucinda Wilbur,
an old resident of Phelps, died at her home on Walnut street, Sunday, of heart trouble, aged 82 years. The funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock, and interment made in the Phelps cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 3 February 1904

Phelps, N. Y., Feb. 2 - Lyman Wilbur,
a pioneer resident of this village, died at his home on West Main street Monday. Mr. Wilbur was born in this village 78 years ago and had lived here all his life. Besides his widow, he is survived by one daughter, Miss Louise Wilbur. The funeral will be held Wednesday afternoon, the Rev. J. M. Gilbert officiating.

From Ontario County Journal 6 October 1916

Marvin A. Wilbur,
aged 79 years, a prominent business man of Victor, passed away at his home on Monday. In 1864 Mr. Wilbur engaged in the milling business in East Victor. In 1869 he purchased half interest in the banking firm of Parmele & Hamlin at Victor. He retired from the firm in 1898. For eight years he was supervisor of the town of Victor. He was also a director of the Canandaigua National bank, of which he was one of the founders. He leaves his wife and one daughter. The funeral services were held on Wednesday. Rev. F. W. Hill, pastor of the Presbyterian church, officiating. Interment was at Boughton hill.

From Ontario County Journal 16 September 1892

Naples, N. Y. - Mrs. Phebe A.,
wife of Ephraim Wilbur, of Hunts Hollow, passed away at a good old age on Friday last. She was born in Dutchess county in 1809 of Quaker parentage; married Mr. Wilbur in 1825; came to Naples to live in 1839. Twelve children were born to her, all growing to maturity. Nine are now living and are scattered all over the north and west.

From Ontario County Journal 3 December 1915

Naples, N. Y. - Samuel J. Wilbur
died at the home of his son, Floyd Wilbur, at 10 o'clock on Sunday evening. He was born near Seneca Point nearly 88 years ago, but had spent most of his life in Naples. He married Miss Frances Stetson, who died several years ago. Two sons are left, Norman E. Wilbur and Floyd Wilbur, of Naples; four grandchildren; a brother, Cyrus H. Wilbur of Cheshire, and a sister, Mrs. Marietta Green of Buffalo. The funeral was held on Tuesday, conducted by rev. Jacob Finger, pastor of the Methodist church. Burial was in Rose Ridge.

From Geneva Daily Times 16 October 1905

Mrs. Alfred Wilcox,
of Stanley, died at 12:30 o'clock this afternoon at the home of her sister, Mrs. John Reed, who resided on Washington street near the city limits. The deceased was about forty-four years of age. She was taken to Canandaigua Hospital suffering with a cancer fourteen weeks ago. On October 3 she was brought to the home of her sister. Besides her sister, she is survived by her husband and one daughter.

From Ontario County Journal 22 December 1893

Shortsville, N. Y. -
The death of Mrs. Calista Wilcox occurred at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Dr. Melvin on Saturday. The funeral services were held at the house, and were conducted by Rev. Mr. Hitchcock of Port Gibson, assisted by Rev. Mr. Pearce of Manchester. The burial took place at Palmyra.

From Geneva Daily Times 12 August 1910

The funeral of Edward H. Wilcox was held this afternoon from his late residence on Genesee street. A private service was held at the house at 1:00 o'clock followed by a service at St. Peter's church at 1:30. Following the service at the church, the remains were taken to Phelps. The services at the grave were Masonic and were conducted by the Ark Lodge of this city of which Mr. Wilcox was a member.

From Phelps Citizen 7 January 1904

Eliphus Wilcox,
one of the oldest residents of this town, suffered a stroke of apoplexy and died last Thursday. The deceased had resided in Phelps the greater part of his life, living with his daughter, Mrs. Harriet Humphrey, at whose home he died. The funeral services were held from the residence Sunday afternoon at two o'clock, and interment was made in Joslyn cemetery at Oaks Corners.

From Naples Record 7 September 1872

West Bloomfield - Ezra Wilcox,
while driving home from Sunday School with his wife, died suddenly.

From Ontario County Chronicle 20 May 1903

Mrs. Frances A. Wilcox,
one of the best known residents of this village, died at the family home in Upper Main street, Sunday afternoon, aged 79 years. Her husband, Lucius Wilcox, for many years a prominent business man of Canandaigua, died several years ago. Mrs. Wilcox had been in impaired health for a number of years, a fact due to her advanced age. She had been a life long member of the Methodist Episcopal church in which she did much for missions and the cause of Christianity. She is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Daniel Rice of Elmira and Mrs. Ella Sterns of Boston, Mass.; and five sons, James and Timothy Wilcox of Bloomington, Ill., Charles G. Wilcox of Buffalo and Merritt C. and William W. Wilcox of this place. The funeral was very largely attended from the family home yesterday afternoon, the Rev. J. Wallace Webb, D. D., officiating. The interment was in Woodlawn.

From Ontario County Journal 17 February 1899

The funeral of Frank B. Wilcox was held yesterday afternoon at the home of his mother, Mrs. F. A. Wilcox, at 3 o'clock, Rev. J. Wallace Webb officiating. Mr. Wilcox had been an invalid for four years, and had spent most of that time in this village. Five weeks ago he suffered a stroke of paralysis from which he never rallied, death occurring on Monday afternoon. The deceased was 52 years of age and was born in Demopolis, Ala. While his health permitted, he was an active member of the dry goods firm of Wilcox Bros. of Bloomington, Ill., and still retained his interest with his declining health. He is survived by two sons, Lucius J. of this village, and Frank B. Wilcox of Boston; his mother, two sisters, Mrs. D. E. Rice of Elmira, and Mrs. Charles S. Stearns of Boston; and five brothers, Merritt C., William W. of Canandaigua, Charles C. of Green Island, Lucius T. and James A. of Bloomington, Ill.

From Ontario County Journal 1 June 1900

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - 
On Sunday, at Bristol, occurred the death of Heman Wilcox, aged 70 years. Mr. Wilcox was born in this town and spent most of his early life here. He enlisted in the war on May 9, 1961, being the third soldier to go from this place. Funeral services were held in Bristol on Wednesday morning, Rev. Aurelian Post of Bristol, officiating. The burial was at the village cemetery. Rev. Stevens read the burial service.

From Geneva Daily Times 15 February 1908

Naples, N. Y. -
The death of Isaac W. Wilcox, 82 years of age, occurred yesterday morning. Mr. Wilcox had been a prominent figure in this vicinity for 65 years. He was born in Rhode Island, but came to this county when a boy and began early to carve out for himself a home and fortune. He took land in the forests and by industry, economy and intelligent husbandry accumulated wealth, helped to build up a community and was honored with its leadership for many years. He broke down at last, and a few months ago moved his family to his home in this village, where he died. In August, 1857, Mr. Wilcox married Miss Mary Ann Garlinghouse, then of Richmond, and they celebrated their golden wedding last year. They had eleven children, ten of whom grew to maturity. Five remain with the mother, Ulric D., Mrs. Eliza L. Hotchkiss and Miss Mary Ann of Naples; Mrs. Wood and Miss Orpha of Los Angeles, Cal., and Mrs. Walter Cribb of Canandaigua. Two brothers of the deceased, Thomas and William of Iowa, and a sister,  Mrs. Edwin Alger of Richmond, are alive.

From Ontario County Times 26 March 1884

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - 
Another old man gone, J. Marshal Wilcox, in his eightieth year, died last Friday, the 21st inst., and was buried on Sunday afternoon from the house of G. Hayward, his late home. He is the last of the large family of Dr. Wilcox, and has always lived in this town. He leaves no family, his wife having preceded him several years since, and in her characteristic executive ability, in her last days, provided for his interests by transferring him to the care of her sister, Mrs. Asa Hayward, who, with her family, has proved herself true to the trust in her unremitting attention to his every want, in these years of feebleness and ill health.

From Ontario County Journal 5 April 1901

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - 
The funeral services of Lawton Wilcox, whose death occurred on Saturday, after an illness of but a few days, were held from his late residence on Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock, and were conducted by Rev. W. D. Robinson. Mr. Wilcox was a lifelong and much respected farmer of this town, and his death removes a good citizen from the community. The deceased was 67 years of age. Five children, besides his wife, survive him: Mrs. William Sheehan, Mrs. Zada Boylan and Miss Ida Wilcox, all of this place; Charles of Wayneport, and George of Rochester. A sister, Mrs. Byron Parmele of LeRoy, and two brothers, Henry Wilcox of Greenwood, Ill., and Elmer Wilcox of Nebraska, also survive.

From Ontario County Journal 4 September 1885

Mr. Lucius Wilcox,
a prominent and esteemed resident of this place, died at his home on Main Street last Friday morning, aged about 71 years. He had been for a long time in poor health. Mr. Wilcox was born in Connecticut, and became a resident of Canandaigua in 1857. He was an active and influential member of the Methodist church, and was generous in his aid of works of benevolence. The funeral was held at the family residence on Monday afternoon and was conducted by Rev. M. S. Hard, assisted by Rev. Dr. Hibbard and Rev. W. R. Benham. The deceased was borne to the grave by his six sons.

From Ontario County Journal 7 April 1916

On Tuesday morning occurred the death of Mrs. Mary Wilcox, after a long illness due to old age. Mrs. Wilcox, whose name was Mary Ann Garlinghouse, was born in Richmond on Nov. 28, 1885, a daughter of Samuel and Orpha Harrington Garlinghouse. Six children survive: Mrs. Ellen Hotchkiss, Miss Mary Wilcox of Naples; Mrs. Ethel Wood and Mrs. Vida Cribb of Hollywood, Cal.; Mrs. Orpha Gayhensix of Los Angeles, Cal.; and a son, Ulricht D. Wilcox of Naples. Funeral services will be held at the house this afternoon at 1 o'clock.

From "The Works of Hubert Howe Bancroft: History of Oregon, 1886-88, Volume 30, Part 2." A. L. Bancroft & Company, 1888.

Ralph Wilcox was born in Ontario county, New York, July 9, 1818. He graduated at Geneva medical college in that state, soon after which he removed to Missouri, where on the 11th of October 1845 he married, emigrating to Oregon the following year. In January 1847 he was appointed by Abernethy county judge of Tualatin vice W. Burris, resigned, and the same year was elected to the legislature from the same county, and re-elected in 1848. Besides being chosen speaker at this session, he was elected speaker of the lower house of the territorial legislature in 1850-1, and president of the council in 1853-4. During the years 1856-8 he was register of the U. S. land office at Oregon City, and was elected in the latter year county judge of Washington (formerly Tualatin) county, an office which he held till 1862, when he was again elected to the house of representatives for two years. In July 1865 he was appointed clerk of the U. S. district court for the district of Oregon, and U. S. commissioner for the same district, which office he continued to hold down to the time of his death, which occurred by suicide, April 18, 1877, having shot himself in a state of mental depression caused by paralysis. Notwithstanding his somewhat free living he had continued to enjoy the confidence of the public for thirty years. The Portland bar passed the usual eulogistic resolutions. [page 59]

Thanks to Martha Magill for this contribution.

From Victor Herald 13 October 1899

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - Ruthven E. Wilcox
died at Willard, N. Y., October 5, at the age of 70 years. His remains were brought here Saturday. The funeral services were held at his brother's home Monday afternoon, the Rev. William Robinson officiating.

From Ontario County Journal 22 March 1895

Mrs. Terressa Wilcox,
widow of the late Orson Wilcox, died at her home on Chapin street Monday. She was over 85 years old, and her death was due to old age. Four children survive her: Misses Helen and Mary Wilcox of this village, Marvin O. Wilcox of Rochester, and Edwin Wilcox of Phelps. The funeral was held Wednesday afternoon, Rev. C. H. Dickinson conducting the service.

From Ontario County Journal 1 May 1896

Naples, N. Y. -
The neighboring district of "Frosttown," in South Bristol was sorely afflicted last week in the death of two of their prominent people. At noon on April 23 occurred the death of Mrs. Ulric Wilcox, aged 27. She was formerly Lena Wood, daughter of J. G. Wood of South Bristol. She had been ill for a year or more. Her husband and two children are left.

From Shortsville Enterprise 10 March 1911

The sudden and entirely unexpected death of Mrs. William H. Wilcox, which occurred at the residence of Capt. F. L. Brown in Robinson street on Monday afternoon at 1:30 o'clock, caused a great shock to our residents and cast a deep gloom over the Parlor Village. On Sunday, February 19, as she was leaving her home on her way to church, she slipped and fell on an icy sidewalk in front of the house. Her right hip was broken and she had been confined to her bed since the accident. It was thought that she was recovering, but as she was about to partake of her dinner on Monday afternoon, she was stricken with an attack of heart trouble and expired suddenly. She had been afflicted with heart disease for some time. Mrs. Wilcox was born in the town of Farmington on April 20, 1858, and was the daughter of John W. and Hannah Sheldon Hunt. She was united in marriage  to Mr. Wilcox of Shortsville on Thanksgiving eve in 1880. In early life she united with the Baptist church at Manchester, but severed her connections with that church after her marriage, when she joined the First Presbyterian church in this village. She was active in church work and for many years was president of the Ladies' Aid Society connected with the church.

She was also a member of the local Women's Christian Temperance Union, the Conversation Circle and the Query Club. A large period of her life was passed on the Wilcox farm, south of this village. About three years ago she moved with her husband to Phelps and returning here last Spring, when she took up her home at the Brown residence. Besides her husband, she leaves one son, Warren Wilcox of Phelps; her parents, Mr. and Mrs. John W. Hunt of Farmington; one sister, Mrs. Augustus Post of Phelps, and one brother, John Hunt, Jr., of Farmington. The funeral obsequies were held from the Brown home on Thursday afternoon. The services were conducted by Rev. Joel C. Glover of Canisteo, and Rev. D. H. MacKenzie, pastor of the local Presbyterian church. The body was interred in the family plot at Brookside Cemetery in Shortsville. 

From Shortsville Enterprise 11 December 1913

William H. Wilcox,
whose sudden death was published in last week's Enterprise, was born in Attica, Wyoming county, on October 16, 1839, and was a son of the late Rev. and Mrs. James Bishop Wilcox. He had been a resident of the township of Manchester during the last 42 years, coming here from Geneva to a farm about 1 mile south of the village. A few years ago he sold his farm and went to live with his sister, Mrs. F. L. Brown, in Robinson street, at whose home his death occurred.

He chose for his life partner, Miss Annette Hunt of Manchester, their wedding day being November 23, 1881. Mrs. Wilcox died suddenly of heart failure on March 6, 1911. She had suffered a broken hip on February 19th previous and it was thought she was recovering nicely. When about to partake of dinner on Sunday she was stricken with an attack of heart failure and expired almost immediately. The survivors are one son, Warren Wilcox, a hardware merchant of Phelps; one brother, James A. J. Wilcox, of Melrose, Mass., and two sisters, Mrs. Brown and Mrs. Harriet Sears, both residents of the Parlor Village.

From Geneva Daily Times 22 May 1905

Canandaigua, N. Y. -
The funeral of William W. Wilcox was held from the home of his brother, Merritt C. Wilcox, at 3 o'clock yesterday afternoon. Rev. A. W. Green of Syracuse officiated. He was a former pastor of the Methodist church here and a warm personal friend of Mr. Wilcox. The attendance at the funeral was large and representative. Interment was in the family plot in Woodlawn cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 21 March 1908

Stanley, N. Y. - Lewis Wilde,
aged 57 years, died at his home Thursday evening at about 6 o'clock after an illness of a week. He is survived by his wife and six children. The funeral took place today at his home at 11 o'clock. Burial was at Potter.

From Penn Yan Democrat 9 March 1914

Died in Penn Yan, March 5, Mrs. Belle Sutton Wilder, aged 68 years. Death came very suddenly at the home of her son-in-law, Spencer F. Lincoln, with whom she had lived a number of years. Mrs. Wilder had been an invalid several years, the result of a stroke, but she was able to be around, and appeared as well as usual at breakfast Monday morning. Shortly after the conclusion of the meal, Mrs. Wilder fell to the floor and was dead when members of the household reached her. She leaves one daughter, Mrs. Cherrie H. Lincoln; her husband, Charles E. Wilder; and a half-brother, Charles S. Sutton of Naples. A prayer service was held at the Lincoln home Tuesday afternoon, and the funeral was held Wednesday from her brother's home in Naples. Burial in Naples.

Empire State Universalist, Carthage NY, May, 1922

In the sudden passing of Miss Cora A. Wilder on March 1, both the community in which she lived and the Universalist church of Victor, N.Y., met with irreparable loss.  Born in the country near Victor and educated in the public schools of the town, and in the seminary in Rochester conducted by the late Martha Bortle, Miss Wilder spent the whole of her busy life in Victor and its immediate vicinity.  For many years she had the care of her aged parents, in addition to the heavy demands of her active business life.  She was always a regular attendant at the services of the church and Sunday School.  As one of the charter members of the local Y.P.C.U. she was for many years a leader in its activities and served for a number of years as member of the executive board of the National Union.  When a Mission Circle was organized in her church she gave it her loyal support and was for several years its president.  Therefore it was eminently fitting that during the week following her death the Circle, which had been dormant for some time, should be reorganized under the name of the “Cora A. Wilder Mission Circle.”
On the day of her funeral the church was crowded with those who were fortunate enough to count her as their friend, and her beloved pastor, Rev. J. L. Everton, paid the last words of tribute.

Nelson L. Lobdell

This contribution was kindly donated by Karen Dau, Rochester NY
Archivist, NY State Convention of Universalists

From Ontario County Journal 11 March 1892

Bristol Center, N. Y. - Mrs. David Wilder
died early Tuesday morning, having only been sick about a week. The funeral was held at the Methodist church on Thursday at 12 o'clock.

From Ontario County Journal 9 January 1914

The death of David W. Wilder occurred at his home two miles south of Bristol Center early Wednesday evening. Mr. Wilder was born in the town of South Bristol August 14, 1826. He had resided upon the farm where he died for more than sixty years. He was an active member of the Methodist church of Bristol Center where he was a class leader for 54 years; had always identified himself with the cause of temperance. Mr. Wilder was twice married, his first wife, whom he married September 15, 1846, being Cordelia H. Tiffany, who died in March 1892. About twenty years ago he married Mrs. Lydia Caple of Naples, who survives him. He leaves one daughter and two grandchildren, Mrs. Clarence H. Hobart and Frank W. Hobart, of Canandaigua, and Mrs. William G. Tyson of Delaware Water Gap, Pa.; also one sister, Mrs. Ann D. Wood of Butternut, Mich. The funeral services will be held from the Methodist church at Bristol Center this afternoon at 2 o'clock.

From Ontario County Times 23 March 1887

Naples, N. Y. - Mrs. Deborah Wilder
died at the home of her son, Mr. Jabez Wilder, on Saturday afternoon. Mrs. Wilder was probably the oldest person in town, her age being ninety-nine years.

From Geneva Gazette 13 July 1836

Died on Saturday last, in the vicinity of Geneva, Deacon Elijah Wilder, aged 84 years.  Deacon Wilder was among the early settlers of western New York.  So entire a wilderness was this beautiful country, at the time he emigrated hither, that the circumstance was often mentioned by him, that he drove the first team that came from Oneida county to this region. Deacon Wilder aided in the organization of the Presbyterian church in this village, of which he was a very useful member and valuable officer, up to the time of his death.  During a long course of years, he lived, not only free from reproach, but he exhibited an intelligent and a consistent piety, that endeared him to all who love real worth; and as the hour of his departure drew nigh, the sweet solemnity of spirit that characterized his conversation -- the cheerful acquiescence to the divine will which he manifested, united with humble but firm confidence in the Saviour's merits indicated a soul ripe for Heaven.  "The memory of the just is blessed."

From Ontario Repository and Messenger 22 January 1868

Died, in Canandaigua, 11th January 1868, Capt. Ira Wilder, aged 87 years and 5 months. Capt. Wilder was among the first residents of this county. In February 1790, when fifteen years of age, he came with his father, Jonathan Wilder, from Bankhampstead, Connecticut, and settled in the town of Bristol, where he remained until 1814, when he removed to Canandaigua, and there resided until the day of his death. His occupation in life enabled him to form an extended acquaintance with all classes of men, and during his protracted life none knew him but to esteem him for the goodness of his heart, and respect him for his sterling integrity. He was a fond husband and father, and many who have applied to him for acts of kindness, can certify that he was a sincere and constant friend. The memory of such a man merits more than the mere announcement of his death, and while the list of the first settlers of this county is diminished to a scattered few, we love to dwell upon the virtues of those who opened the wilderness to civilization, and remembering the sacrifices they made, the hardships they endured, and the heroism with which they met them, we feel as they fade away that their value to us is increased by the diminution of their number.

From Ontario County Journal 25 February 1910

At Victor on Sunday occurred the death of Jabez Wilder, following an illness of several days from pneumonia, aged 89 years. Mr. Wilder was one of the oldest and best known residents of Victor and was held in high esteem. He was at the time of his death the oldest member of St. Paul's Universalist church. Mr. Wilder is survived by one daughter, Miss Cora A. Wilder, who has long been connected with the county clerk's office here and later with The Abstract Guarantee Co.

From Ontario County Journal 6 June 1913

The death of Mrs. Laura Waring Wilder, widow of Charles J. Wilder, who died in February 1912, occurred on Tuesday morning at the residence of Mrs. George Elton. Death was due to a stroke, suffered several days ago. She had been in poor health for some time. Mrs. Wilder was twice married. Her first husband, Abraham Claudius, died about 20 years ago. There survive a son, Harry Claudius; one brother, of Columbus, O.; and a sister, Mrs. George Booth of Canandaigua. Rev. Livingston L. Taylor will conduct the funeral services at the home of Mrs. Elton this afternoon at 2 o'clock. Interment will be in West Avenue cemetery.

From Geneva Gazette 19 June 1846

in Seneca, on the 19th inst., Mrs. Lucy Wilder, in the 78th year of her age.  Mrs. Wilder was the former consort of Dea. Levi Judd, formerly from South Hadley, Mass., and the relict of the late Dea. Elijah Wilder of this town.  The funeral of the deceased will be attended from the residence of her son, Levi Judd, tomorrow at 2 o'clock P. M.  The friends and acquaintances are respectfully invited to attend.

From Geneva Daily Times 15 February 1907

Mrs. Mary Whitney Wilder, who resided about three miles west of this city on the Castle road, died very suddenly yesterday morning. At about six o'clock yesterday morning, she became ill, a doctor was called, but on his arrival at eight o'clock, he did not pronounce her condition as at all critical. She died at 11:30 a.m., aged 82 years. She is survived by her husband, Jonathan Wilder; two brothers, Columbus Whitney of Clifton Springs, and Norman Whitney of this city; two sisters, Mrs. Beekman Van Gilder of Seneca Castle, and Miss Martha Whitney of this city. The funeral will be held tomorrow afternoon at 2:30 o'clock from the family home. Rev. Mr. Farnham, pastor of the Presbyterian church at Seneca Castle will officiate and burial will be in the Butcher cemetery.

From Victor Herald 18 January 1907

Mrs. Sarah A. Wilder,
wife of Jabez Wilder, died at the family home on High street, in this village, Wednesday morning. Mrs. Wilder had been in feeble health for some time, suffering from the infirmities of an advanced age, and her death was not unexpected. She was seventy-five years old. Mrs. Wilder was the daughter of Sales R. and Anna Stafford May and was born in Syracuse, N. Y. She was united in marriage to Mr. Wilder March 4th, 1856. For about a year after, they resided in Marcellus, N. Y., and then moved to this town, locating at first on a farm, and, twenty years later, removing to the present family home. Mrs. Wilder was a member of St. Paul's Universalist church and until prevented by ill health, was an active and valued worker in the church. Aside from the husband, who is over eighty years of age, one daughter survives, Miss Cora A. Wilder, who has made her home with her parents. Funeral services will be held at the residence this afternoon at two o'clock and interment made in Boughton Hill Cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 9 May 1884

Naples, N. Y. - Mrs. Ann E. Wiley,
widow of the late M. M. Wiley, died early Tuesday morning at the residence of her nephew, Geo. S. Wiley. She had been feeble for a year. The funeral services were held at the Presbyterian Church. The son of Mrs. Wiley, and only child, is a student at Canandaigua Academy. He came home to attend the funeral, but not in time to see his mother before she died. He is now left entirely alone.

From Ontario County Journal 10 April 1896

Victor, N. Y. - Asa Wiley
of Fishers died at his home on Monday evening, aged 66 years. He leaves a wife and five children. The funeral was held on Wednesday afternoon at the house.

From Ontario County Journal 4 May 1888

Naples, N. Y. - On Monday afternoon was the burial of Mrs. Geo. S. Wiley, Emma, the daughter of Lyman Tobey. This death was peculiarly sad. Mrs. Wiley had a family of nine children, four of them under six years of age. She was devoted to them and gave her life to them. Only about two weeks ago she was attacked slightly with erysipelas. No alarm was felt by any one until the day before she died which was Saturday. On that noon she began to fail rapidly and died on Sunday morning, aged 41. Her husband and children mourn as those who cannot be comforted and also her father, who is now advanced in years and has lost a wife and daughter. Great sympathy is felt for all.

From Ontario County Journal 6 July 1883

Milo M. Wiley,
a prominent farmer of this town, died on Thursday of last week from the effects of a paralytic stroke received in March. He was 63 years old and has always resided on one farm. One sister survives him, Mrs. O. L. Cummings. He leaves also a wife and one child.

From Ontario County Journal 7 April 1911

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - 
The funeral of Mrs. William Wiley was held from her home in the western part of the town on Wednesday morning, being conducted by Rev. G. S. Spencer. Burial was in the village cemetery. Mrs. Wiley is survived by her husband and six children.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 27 April 1920

Canandaigua, April 26 - Mrs. Helen Wilhelm
, widow of Sylvester Wilhelm, passed away at her home in Antis street at 1 o'clock this afternoon. Mrs. Wilhelm was 72 years of age and death was due to heart disease. She is survived by two sons, Sylvester and Andrew Wilhelm; five daughters, Misses Nellie, Emma, Augustas and Fannie Wilhelm, all of this city, and Mrs. Lizzie Parker, of Rochester; and one brother, Andrew Hippue, of this city.

From Geneva Daily Times 27 November 1911

Gustavus Charles Wilkens,
a prominent retired business man of this city, dropped dead yesterday afternoon at 4 o'clock at his home, No. 104 Washington street. Mr. Wilkens had been in poor health for some time, suffering from heart trouble and Bright's disease, but he was not confined to his house and seemed apparently in his usual health. He was stricken shortly before 4 o'clock and passed away within a few minutes. Dr. J. Pope DeLaney, who had treated Mr. Wilkens at times, was called but did not arrive until after Mr. Wilkens had passed and so Coroner Flint was called to review the remains and grant the certificate of death. After an investigation, the coroner pronounced death due to cardiac embolism and a certificate was granted.

Mr. Wilkens was born in Poland, Russia, August, 1843. His father, Ludwig Wilkens, was in the Russian government service, being in charge of the Russian mint for some time and afterward had charge of the pulp and paper mills in Warsaw. His mother is still living. At the age of 14, Mr. Wilkens was an apprenticed butcher and worked for the next seven years in various places in Germany and Austria. In 1860 he came to the United States and was employed for a time in Philadelphia. He later learned the mason's trade at Mt. Vernon, N. Y., and his health failing, he located in Newark, N. Y. In 1871 he resumed the provision business and came to Geneva where he went into business the firm being Wilkens & Zobrist. In 1873 Mr. Zobrist withdrew from the partnership and Henry Schroder was admitted. Mr. Wilkens purchased the latter's interest in 1873 and conducted the business himself for nine years, then took Frank C. Hoffmann into partnership. At the expiration of several years, Mr. Wilkens moved to Rochester for two and returned to Geneva and reestablished his business at 28 Castle street and also managed a farm near Waterloo. For the past few years he had retired from the meat business. He was president of the Allen Drug Co., and was associated with F. C. Hoffmann in the drug and ice cream business at Auburn, New York. Mr. Wilkens was a member of Ark Lodge, F. & A. M. He was an active worker in the interest of the Evangelical Church, was a trustee, class teacher, treasurer and member of the advisory board.

In 1862, before coming to this country, he married Miss Caroline Kroll, of Russia, who survives him. Besides his widow and his mother, he leaves one daughter, Mrs. H. J. Fenn of Port Jefferson, L. I., and one son, Louis Wilkens, of this city; three grandchildren, Irene and Hazel Fenn of Port Jefferson, L. I.; and Fred Wilkens of this city
; also one adopted son, Charles Crane Tifft of Rochester, and a brother, Samuel Wilkens, of Russia.

From Ontario Messenger 17 March 1852

Coroner's Report -
Died suddenly, in this town on the 24th day of February last, Zacharias Wilkes, aged 73 years. He was a native of England. In consequence of this sudden death and the circumstances and symptoms attending it, suspicions were created that he came to his death otherwise than natural. I was therefore notified that in the matter of Mr. Wilkes' death an inquiry into the cause ought to be had. I thereupon attended in the case, and found sufficient cause to disinter the body and hold an inquest thereupon. The body was disinterred on the 11th of March, 1852, and a post mortem examination of the body made by Doctor Edson Carr and son, assisted by Doctors Brown and Russell. I summoned a Jury the same day, who after viewing the body and being qualified, the inquest proceeded to examine such witnesses as were then produced in the case. After which i adjourned the inquest to meet again on the 13th inst., for the purpose of giving the Doctors time to make a thorough examination of the contents of the stomach of the deceased. These contents were given by the Doctors into the hands of Noah T. Clark, Esq., a very excellent Chemist, for the purpose of analysis, who made a careful and scientific examination of the same. And his testimony before the inquest was conclusive that no mercurial or vegetable poisoning was found in the stomach of the deceased, which, with the testimony of the Physicians and others, proved that Zacharias Wilkes died of Cholic in a natural way.

From Geneva Daily Times 24 October 1902

David Wilkie
died suddenly yesterday afternoon, of heart disease, at his late residence near Flint Creek, age 85 years. The deceased and his son, Charles Wilkie, lived together on a farm a short distance this side of Flint Creek.  David Wilkie felt ill yesterday morning, and went to the house to rest.  When the son went in to dinner, he found his father on the bed unconscious. He forthwith went to Number Nine for Dr. Allen.  When the physician arrived, Mr. Wilkie was dead. The physician pronounced the cause of death heart failure and issued a burial certificate to that effect. This morning Coroner H. D. Weyburn was called. After the investigating, he granted a certificate of death from heart disease.  Mr. Wilkie was a native of Scotland and came to this section in childhood.  For years he has been a member of the Number Nine Presbyterian church.  He is survived by one sister, Mrs. Elizabeth Wood, of 31 Elmwood place, this city; two brothers, John Wilkie, who resides south of the city, and William Wilkie, of Wyoming county; one daughter, Mrs. John Murphy, of Merrimac, Mass., and one son, Charles Wilkie. The funeral will take place at 2:30 o'clock Sunday afternoon from the late residence, Rev. A. B. Temple officiating.  Interment will be in Number Nine cemetery.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 31 January 1900

The death of James Wilkie occurred at his home two miles south of Geneva on the lake road Sunday. The funeral takes place this morning with interment in No. Nine cemetery. From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle was 89 years of age and had lived on the farm where he died for over fifty years. He is survived by three sons and three daughters, James S. Wilkie of the city of Geneva; George and Topping Wilkie of the town of Geneva; Mrs. Grove Rippey and Mrs. Newton Page, of the town of Geneva, and Mrs. Margaret Ansley of Milo.

From Geneva Advertiser 22 October 1901

Mrs. John Wilkie
died at her home in the town of Geneva last Friday at about one o'clock in the afternoon.  She was discovered lying dead on the kitchen floor when Mr. Wilkie returned home from a trip to the city.  Dr. Means and Coroner Weyburn pronounced it a case of apoplexy, and believed she had been dead but a few minutes when discovered.  Her maiden name was Charlotte Coleman, a sister of Charles S. Cole, and the family were old settlers of Bellona.

From Geneva Advertiser 19 April 1904

John Wilkie,
a well-known and respected farmer of the town of Geneva, died last Monday, April 11th, aged 77 years, from a paralytic stroke. Three sons survive him, Henry D. of Geneva, Fred C. of Syracuse, and William S. in Willard. His wife died October 18, 1901, and the family has a lot in Glenwood, where the old gentleman's body will rest beside that of his wife.

From Geneva Daily Times 22 September 1905

Mrs. Carrie Wilkins,
wife of Louis Wilkins, a butcher, died at three o'clock this morning at her home, No. 17 Pine street, after a week's illness. The deceased was thirty-five years of age. Besides her husband, the deceased is survived by her mother, Mrs. Anna Miller, and two brothers, Joseph and Frederick Miller, all of Auburn. Burial will be made in Auburn on Monday morning.

From Ontario County Journal 23 October 1908

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - 
The death of Mrs. Kate N. Wilkins, wife of James Wilkins, occurred on Friday. The funeral was held from St. Bridget's church on Tuesday morning. Besides her husband, Mrs. Wilkins is survived by her aged father, five children, all of this town, and one brother, Patrick Nugent of Rochester.

From Ontario County Journal 26 August 1904

East Bloomfield, N. Y. -  Mrs. Mary Wilkins,
widow of the late William Wilkins, a woman beloved by many, died at her home north of this village on Friday, after a long illness. She was 88 years of age. Her family came here from Hickland, England, in 1850 and Mrs. Wilkins has resided here ever since. She is survived by six sons, William, John, George, James, Henry and Arthur, all residing here; two daughters, Mrs. John Fitzgerald of this place, and Mrs. Richard McInerney, of Despatch; two brothers, John Nudd, of East Bloomfield, and William Nudd of Livonia; three sisters, Mrs. George Wolston, Mrs. David Hallock and Mrs. Priscilla Sweeney, all of this place. The funeral services were held from the home on Tuesday afternoon, Archdeacon William Davis officiating. Interment was made in the village cemetery.

From Naples Record 28 October 1879

Benjamin Wilkinson
of Bald Hill died on the 20th inst. The funeral will be held at his late residence on the 22nd.

From Geneva Gazette 2 October 1885

died at his residence on Geneva st. early on Tuesday morning last.  He had been a long and painful sufferer from dropsy.  He survived the first attack after confinement to his house for several weeks.  The second attack which laid him up was of shorter duration ere it ran its fatal course. Mr. Wilkinson was a native of London, and emigrated to America before he attained his majority.  He worked at his trade as a cigar-maker in the metropolis for a year or two, and then came on to Syracuse where for a brief period he found like employment.  He came to Geneva about the year 1865, and soon afterward formed a copartnership with H. F. Fox in the manufacture of cigars, their brands obtaining great popularity with smokers.  A few years later the firm dissolved, and Mr. Wilkinson became established in business under his own name at No. 15 Seneca street.  He has therefore been our near business neighbor, and we had almost daily intercourse with him to the day of his final illness and confinement at home.  He was remarkably intelligent and well read up in current events, and was hence a most interesting conversationalist.  He was a pronounced Democrat in politics, and abundantly able to explain, maintain and defend the faith he espoused.  His wife who survives him is a daughter of Ira G. Tompkins, who with four young children mourn the death of a most affectionate and indulgent husband and father.  His worth as a citizen had been recognized by his party and personal friends by his election to local offices, he being collector of village taxes at the time of his decease.  His funeral took place from his residence yesterday afternoon and was attended by a large concourse of sorrowing friends.  His age was 43 years.

From Ontario County Journal 7 September 1917

Farmington, N. Y. -
The death of Joseph Wilkinson occurred on Saturday after an illness of several months. He was born in this vicinity 82 years ago and had always lived here. He is survived by one daughter, Mrs. Minnie Wilson, of Penn Yan, and three sons, Gilbert and William of Perinton, and John of Macedon. The funeral was held from the South Perinton Methodist church on Tuesday with interment in South Farmington cemetery.

Return to Ontario County Homepage

Copyright © 2004-16 Ontario County NYGenWeb and each contributor and author of materials herein. All rights reserved.