"Wec" to "Wez" Obituaries

From Canandaigua Chronicle 28 June 1905

Wednesday evening, Mrs. Anastasia Wechenger, an aged lady who resided with her son-in-law, Frank Pohs, at the corner of Gibson and Washington streets, fell down a flight of stairs and fractured her skull on the left side back of the ear. Dr. J. H. Jewett was summoned and the injured woman was at once removed to the Memorial Hospital in the hope that an operation might be successful in saving her life but she died a few minutes after being taken to the operating room. She was a native of Austria and had resided here but a short time. She was 71 years of age at the time of her death.

From Ontario County Journal 19 September 1890

Died, at Honeoye, on Saturday, Sept. 6, Dr. John C. Weed, aged 76 years. His death was sudden and unexpected, although he had been in feeble health for a long time.

Cohocton Times April 1907

Mrs. Mary North Weed
died at the home of Mr. and Mrs. J. S. VanDoren and family April 17, 1907, aged 84 years and four months. She was the daughter of Stephen and Diadema North, and was born in the town of Richmond, Ontario Co., N. Y., Dec. 17, 1823. She was the widow of the late Dr. John Calvin Weed, who preceded her to the land beyond about 17 years ago. Of this union three children were born who died several years ago, the last one being Dr. Wm. C. Weed of this village.

Deceased was converted to God in early life, was baptized and with her brother, Carmon North, united with the Methodist Episcopal Church and has been a faithful follower of her Lord and Master all these years of her earthly pilgrimage. Mrs. Weed was taken sick at the VanDoren home last October and has been kindly and lovingly cared for by them all the weeks and months of her gradual decline. Sometimes she would seem better and hopes were entertained for her recovery, but her advanced age and feebleness were unfavorable and she gradually went down until the end came. The end came peacefully and she had expressed her wish several times to those who cared for her to depart and be at rest, and thus she passed out of the tenement of clay to join the loved ones gone on before in the Heaven of eternal repose.

She leaves to mourn her departure her son's wife, Mrs. Wm. Weed, four grandchildren and two half sisters of Mich.; also one sister-in-law of this place, and a neice of Astoria, N. Y.; three nephews, one of Idaho, one of East Bloomfield, one of Bristol, besides other more distant relatives. The funeral was held at the VanDoren house on Friday afternoon of last week at 2 o'clock with Rev. E. E. Jones officiating, and the remains were taken to Honeoye and laid at rest beside those of her husband in Honeoye Lakeview cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 24 December 1908

Newton Weeks,
aged 55 years, died at his home, No. 41 Hoffman avenue, this morning at 3:30 o'clock, after an illness of ten months. He has been a resident of this city for 23 years. Besides his widow, he leaves two sons, Newton Weeks, Jr., of Cortland, and Clyde Weeks of Rochester; and two daughters, Mrs. Howard O. Woodworth of Champagne, Ill., and Mrs. H. Perry Carter of Canisteo.

From Shortsville Enterprise 19 June 1930

The death of Mrs. Frederick Wehrlin, a well-known resident of the township of Farmington, occurred at the family home at 5:15 o'clock on Wednesday morning, June 11, after a lingering illness. Her age was 78 years. Mrs. Wehrlin was born in Farmington on December 13, 1852, a daughter of the late James and Jane Houston. She was united in marriage to Mr. Wehrlin May 17, 1875, and only last month they celebrated their fifty-fifth wedding anniversary. The survivors are two sons, Frederick, Jr., of Palmyra and Edward J. of Farmington; three daughters, Mrs. Ida Long of California, Mrs. James Hosey of Manchester and Mrs. Geo. Grinnell of Farmington; one brother, Robert Houston of Manchester; a sister Mrs. Margaret Hooker of Oregon; seven grandchildren and one great-grandchild. Funeral services were held on Friday afternoon at 3 o'clock at her late home, conducted by the Rev. Arthur W. Hammond, pastor of the Farmington Friends' church. The remains were tenderly laid at rest in family plot in North Farmington Cemetery.

From Geneva Advertiser 29 October 1889

The venerable David W. Weidman died at the home of Capt. E. Davis on Genesee street last Sunday. He was among our oldest residents, nearly 91 years of age.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 6 October 1938

Geneva, N. Y. -
Strain and excitement brought about when his horse fell into a creek on his farm in the Town of Fayette, are believed to have caused the death of William Henry Weigand, 63, East Lake Shore Road. With his son, William, Jr., Weigand was driving his horse back to the barns Tuesday evening. The animal fell into a creek and while attempting to extricate him, Weigand suffered a heart attack and died. Coroner C. B. Bacon, Waterloo, said that no autopsy would be necessary. Mr. Weigand was a member of the first Baptist church, Geneva, and of the Odd Fellows, and for a number of years  drove a mail truck in this city. Surviving are his widow, Mrs. Mabel Grace Weigand; his son, William H. Weigand, Jr.; six daughters, Mrs. Ormand H. Duck, Liverpool, Mrs. Cecil Thomas, Miss Norman Weigand, Mrs. Lawrence McGillveray and Mrs. William Sheehan, Jr., Geneva, and Mrs. Walter McGrain, Willard; one sister, Mrs. Mary Martin, Syracuse; a brother, John Weigand, Syracuse; and several nieces and nephews; also 15 grandchildren. Funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday in the home with burial in Sand Hill Cemetery.

From Victor Herald 12 July 1901

Mrs. Albert Weigert
died at Willard Insane Asylum on Saturday. Mrs. Weigert was the wife of Albert Weigert, a young farmer living in the eastern part of this town. She was taken ill about three weeks ago and became violently insane. It was considered best to remove her to the asylum, where it was hoped that her reason might be restored, but she sank rapidly and died on Saturday. It is an unusually sad case, Mrs. Weigert being only 22 years of age. She leaves beside her husband, a baby girl, who will never know a mother's love and care.

From Ontario County Journal 29 April 1898

Victor, N. Y. -  Christopher Weigert
died at the home of his son in Farmington, Thursday, aged 73 years. The funeral was held on Thursday afternoon at the German church, Rev. Ernest Reisick officiating.

From Geneva Gazette 15 July 1881

Suicide - Martin Weiler,
a farmer who lived about two miles south of East Bloomfield, committed suicide on Saturday night by hanging. Weiler was a man past middle age, and a widower, his wife having died about a year ago. He had three daughters grown to womanhood, all of whom lived with their father on the homestead. On Saturday night at about 9 o'clock, after the family had all retired, Weiler stepped to the bedroom door of one of his daughters and declared his intention of performing some duty in connection with his farm work and passed from the house. Nothing more was thought of the matter until morning, when he failed to appear at breakfast time and could not be found about the premises. He was finally discovered in the orchard, some distance from the house, with a rope about his neck, and hanging to the limb of an apple tree. He had been dead several hours, and undoubtedly committed the act shortly after leaving the house on the previous evening. Weiler was a man of steady habits, had pleasant home relations so far as known, and was comfortably well off, owning a farm of 130 acres. The causes which led him to suicide are unknown, but it is said that he greatly mourned the death of his wife, and has at times appeared melancholy and despondent.  Can. Times

From Ontario County Journal 15 July 1881

Martin Weiler,
a German farmer of East Bloomfield, was found hanging by a rope from an apple tree in his orchard on Sunday last. He had been dead several hours when discovered. Since the death of his wife in March last, Weiler had been despondent and was harassed by the fear of losing his property, accumulated by hard work. He came to East Bloomfield a poor man, but by industry and economy had nearly paid for a farm of one hundred acres. He leaves three daughters, the youngest nine years old. Coroner Silvernail, assisted by Dr. Hawley, of this village, made a post mortem examination, and an inquest will be held tomorrow.

From Geneva Daily Times 24 May 1937

Clifton Springs, N. Y. -  Word was received here today of the death of Augustine H. Weinman who died from injuries received in an automobile accident at Millport, aged 41 years. He is survived by one daughter, Louise Weinman; his father, Philip Weinman; one brother, Fred W. Weinman; one sister, Mrs. Elwena Brewer, all of Clifton Springs. Funeral services will be held from the family home north of this village Tuesday, at 2:30 p.m. Burial in the Clifton Springs Cemetery.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 8 January 1917

Geneva, N. Y., Jan. 7 - William Weisbrot,
known for years as the military shoe man, died tonight in his residence, No. 159 Lyceum street, after a prolonged illness. Mr. Weisbrot was born in Germany and came to this country when a boy and learned the shoemaker's trade. He conducted a shoe store for a number of years on Seneca and Exchange street and for the past ten years lived a retired life. He was prominent in the military circles of Company B. which was formerly known as the Folger Corps, Mr. Weisbrot being one of the first members. He was a member of the Veteran's Association and a former member of the Folger Hook and Ladder Company.  Mr. Weisbrot leaves his wife, two sons, Frank Weisbrot of Syracuse, and Max Weisbrot of this city; two daughters, Miss Edith W. Weisbrot, of this city, and Mrs. E. S. Prosser of Rochester.

From Ontario County Chronicle 11 February 1903

Sunday afternoon the people of Canandaigua were astonished to learn of the sudden and unexpected death of Elias Weisenbeck, the oldest businessman in the town, at his home in Chapin street. He had been in feeble health for some time, but there was nothing about his condition to suggest alarm, as he was able to be at his store every day. Saturday he was taken with an acute attack of the grip, and although everything was done to alleviate his sufferings, he continued to grow worse until the end came. The deceased was aged 68 years. He was born in Germany and came to this country in 1856, when but 21 years of age, settling in Rochester. In 1869 he removed to this village, where he continued to be a successful clothing merchant up to the time of his death. He was a lifelong member of the Odd Fellows, being treasurer of the lodge at the time of his death. He is survived by two sons, Isaac and Henry Weisenbeck of this village, a brother, Henry Weisenbeck, and a sister, Mrs. Caroline Baerman of Munich, Bavaria. Mrs. Weisenbeck died several years since. The funeral was largely attended from the family residence in Chapin street today, the interment being in Mt. Hope cemetery, Rochester. His surviving sons have the sympathy of the community.

From Ontario County Journal 31 January 1913

The death of Mrs. Mary K. Welburn, wife of William Welburn of Hopewell, occurred on Wednesday, aged 57 years. Besides her husband, there survive a daughter, Mrs. John Ross of Gorham; one son, Ray Smith of Cato; two sisters Miss Belle Thorpe of Rochester, Mrs. Charles Johns of Sodus; two brothers, Charles Thorpe of Rochester, and Frank Thorpe of Williamson. The funeral services will be held tomorrow afternoon at 12:30 o'clock. Rev. W. O. Shepherd of Port Byron will officiate. Interment will be at Sand Hill.

From Geneva Daily Times 3 January 1908

Mrs. Bridget Welch,
widow of the late John Welch, died last night at her home, No. 12 Hogarth avenue. She was 76 years old and was born in Ireland. She has been a resident of this city for the past 57 years. Her survivors are three sons, Martin of Los Angeles, Cal., Patrick and James of this city; four daughters, Mrs. Martin Welch of the Town of Phelps, Miss Catherine Welch of this city, Mrs. George Higgins of Chicago, and Mrs. William Conway of Naples.

From Geneva Daily Times 2 July 1910

Mrs. Bridget Welch,
widow of the late John Welch, died this morning at 4:30 o'clock at her home, No. 281 Castle street. The deceased had been a resident of this city for the past fifty years. Her survivors are one daughter, Mrs. Matthew J. Higgins; and two sisters, Mrs. Michael O'Dea and Mrs. N. C. Colgan of Cleveland, O. The funeral will take place Tuesday morning at 9 o'clock from the house and at 9:30 o'clock from St. Stephen's church. Interment in St. Patrick's Cemetery.

From Geneva Gazette 10 October 1873

On Tuesday afternoon about three o'clock, Mrs. Catherine Welch, wife of James Welch, died suddenly in the store of John Welch, on Water street.  She had attended the funeral of Mrs. Hawkins, and having returned from that was in the street with some friends, and complained of a terrible pain in her head.  Almost while speaking of the pain she fell to the side walk in front of and was carried into the store.  Dr. Picot, who was close by at the time, was called to aid her, reaching her side in about a minute after she was carried into the store.  The doctor pronounced her past help, and she was dead in five minutes after. Mrs. Welch was a middle-aged woman, and resided with her husband on Catharine street.  Courier

From Ontario County Journal 18 June 1897

West Bloomfield, N. Y. - 
Saturday morning, Mrs. Catherine Welch died at the home of her daughter. Funeral was held on Monday morning at St. Joseph's church, Rev. M. Garvey officiating. Besides her daughter, she leaves four sons, John of New York city; William, Patrick and James of this place.

From Ontario County Chronicle 6 May 1903

Orleans, N. Y. -
Monday, April 27, occurred the death of Charles Welch, after an illness of several months. He leaves a wife and seven children. Funeral services were held Wednesday afternoon from the Baptist church, Rev. Mr. Sage of Clifton Springs officiating. The burial services were in charge of the Masonic fraternity of Canandaigua.

From the Victor Herald 9 April 1892

Edward Welch,
while assisting in shifting cars early Wednesday morning, at Canandaigua, had his right foot caught in a cattle guard, was run over and instantly killed. He was knocked down and his body dragged along for quite a distance. Three cars passed over him, mangling and lacerating his body horribly. The deceased was about twenty years of age, and resided with his parents in Mertensia. Coroner Beahan summoned a jury. The inquest was adjourned to Friday evening. He was about to go to Geneva to engage in business for himself. He was a young man of excellent abilities and greatly esteemed by every one. The funeral was held at St. Patricks church in this village on Friday morning; the attendance was unusually large, and the floral offerings were very beautiful.

From Ontario County Journal 30 April 1909

Padelfords, N. Y. -
On Sunday morning, at an early hour, at his home, occurred the death of John Welch, who had been ill for some time past and his death had not been unlooked for. Mr. Welch was a man of some 69 years and was well thought of in this locality, having lived in Farmington township over 35 years; besides his wife, he leaves two daughters and one son, all of this place.

From Ontario County Journal 18 June 1897

North Bloomfield, N. Y. - Mrs. M. Welch
died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Harry Muldrane, on Saturday morning. The remains were taken to her home in West Bloomfield where the funeral was held on Monday.

From Geneva Daily Times 27 February 1902

Miss Mary Welch
died at the family residence in Oaks Corners, at 6 o'clock this morning, aged 70 years.  She had been ill for some time.  The deceased is survived by one sister, Mrs. Patrick Gallagher, and by a niece, Miss Mary Gallagher, both of Oaks Corners.  The funeral will take place from the house Sunday morning.

From Phelps Citizen 26 November 1925

Mary A. Welch,
widow of John Welch, died at the family home on Newark street on Sunday, at the age of 80 years. Her husband died seventeen years ago. Mrs. Welch was born in Ireland and for forty-seven years had lived in Phelps. The surviving members of her family are two daughters, Mrs. Edward Flannigan of Rochester and Mrs. Frank Hutchinson of Phelps; and five sons, John of Rochester, Michael, Martin and Thomas of this village and Barnard Welch of Waterloo. Funeral services were held at St. Francis Catholic church on Tuesday morning, the Rev. Edward B. Simpson, officiating; and interment was made in St. Francis Cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 15 March 1907

Mrs. Mary E. Welch, aged 27 years, died last night at 11:45 o'clock at her home, No. 81 Wadsworth street. She is survived by her husband, Edward Welch; an infant son; her mother, Mrs. Anne Casey; one brother, Patrick Casey; three sisters, Julia, Anna and Mrs. Catherine Gillmaster, all of this city. Burial St. Patrick's Cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 27 July 1908

Michael Welch,
aged 32 years, died Saturday evening at the Monroe County Hospital in Rochester. The remains were brought to this city yesterday morning and taken to the home of his mother, Mrs. John Welch. He leaves his mother; one sister, Mrs. Patrick Glenn; and two brothers, John P. Welch and Thomas F. Welch, all of this city. The funeral took place this morning from St. Stephen's church. Burial was in St. Patrick's Cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 28 February 1902

Miss Nora S. Welch
died at the family residence in Center street, at 5:15 o'clock this morning, aged 30 years.  The deceased had been ill only two days.  The cause of death was a complication of diseases.  Besides her mother, Mrs. Bridget Welch, she is survived by one brother, Patrick Welch of Wisconsin, and by three sisters, Mrs. J. Reilly of Phelps and Mrs. John Toole and Mrs. Thomas McNerney of this city.  The funeral arrangements are not yet completed.

From Geneva Courier 18 March 1857

Fatal Accident - Patrick Welch,
a very respectable young man about 25 years of age, was instantly killed near Jones Lime Kiln, about three miles north of this village on Wednesday last, the 11th inst.  He was in the woods chopping a tree down, and when it was cut off he supposed it was going to fall in a certain direction, when he walked to the opposite, and instead of falling the way he supposed it would, it caught to some trees, whirled around and fell the same way he was going, striking him about the head killing him instantly.

From Ontario County Times 19 April 1876

Our village was the scene of another fatal accident, occurring last Monday afternoon. Boys residing in the vicinity of the depot have been in the habit of amusing themselves by "taking a ride" on the turn-table of the Geneva and Ithaca road. While thus disporting with young companions on the occasion referred to, a lad named Patrick Welch had the misfortune to fall between the turn-table and abutments while the former was in motion, and his breast was fearfully crushed in. Dr. Clark was promptly summoned, who found at once that the injuries were of a fatal character. The sufferer survived but an hour and a half, retaining consciousness till the last, and passing away comparatively free from pain. He was the youngest son of John Welch, aged about 7 years, though largely developed for one of his tender age. That turn-table should be securely fastened when not in actual use.

From Ontario County Journal 25 May 1915

The death of Patrick Welch occurred at the Memorial Hospital on Monday morning, aged 59 years. There survive: eight sons, James, Michael, Lawrence, Frank, Thomas and Harry, of Canandaigua; William of Penn Yan and Martin of Detroit, Mich.; and two sisters, Mrs. Bryan Daley, of Rochester, and Mrs. Harry Walters of Detroit. The funeral services were held in St. Mary's church on Wednesday morning. Interment was in Calvary Cemetery.

From Geneva Gazette 16 January 1891

The funeral services of Thomas Welch, who died near Oaks Corners on Sunday last, were held at St. Francis de Sales church Wednesday morning.  Rev. Father Nelligan celebrated mass.

From Victor Herald 6 April 1900

Thomas Welch died at Fairport on Saturday morning, March 31, at the age of ninety years. Mr. Welch was a former resident of this town, having spent thirty years of his life in Victor. He had resided in Fairport fourteen years. Four children survive: William Welch of Buffalo; Mrs. Mary Loney, of this town; Kate and John Welch of Fairport. The remains were brought to this village and interred in the Catholic cemetery on Tuesday.

From Geneva Daily Times 9 May 1912

Thomas J. Welch,
aged 57 years, died last night at his late home, No. 22 High street, after an illness of four weeks. He was employed at the Standard Optical Works for a number of years. The deceased had made his home in this city for the past 14 years. He was a member of the Holy Name Society of St. Stephen's church and a member of the C. M. B. A. of Fairport. He leaves his widow; three sons, Frank E., Thomas P. and Vincent S.; two daughters, Mrs. Roy Baird, Miss Mae E. Welch, all of this city; two brothers, Lawrence and Patrick of Fairport; two sisters, Mrs. S. Sylvester and Miss Lena Welch of Lima, N. Y. Burial St. Patrick's Cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 1 May 1903

Orleans, N. Y. -
On Monday morning at 7:30 o'clock occurred the death of Charles Welcher, at his home in this village. Death was due to heart disease. He leaves a wife and several children. The funeral was held on Wednesday afternoon at 2 o'clock in the Baptist church, Rev. V. A. Sage, of Clifton Springs, officiating. The burial service was conducted by the masons.

From Ontario County Journal 22 May 1914

The death of Mrs. Augusta Schauble Weller occurred at the home of her sister, Mrs. Floyd Greene, at Rochester, on Tuesday, following a long illness. Deceased was born in Canandaigua 38 years ago and spent most of her life there. The funeral services were held at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Leopold Schauble, on Wednesday afternoon, Rev. Guy L. Morrill, officiating. Besides her parents, she leaves her husband, Henry Weller; one son, Clifford; one sister, Mrs. Greene of Rochester; and five brothers, Allois and Paul Schauble of Canandaigua, Henry of Kansas City, Mo.; Charles of Goshen, and Frank of Rochester.

From Ontario County Journal 16 July 1915

Mrs. Bessie Clark Weller,
wife of C. Joseph Weller, passed away at her home on Chapin street early yesterday morning. She had been a patient sufferer for many months. Deceased was born in Waterloo on June 8, 1882, the only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles W. Clark. On February 12, 1905, she was married to Mr. Weller, since which time she had resided in Canandaigua. In disposition, loving kindness, faithfulness and tenderness, she was a model wife and mother, and her death is a painful bereavement to her family and friends. Besides her husband, she leaves her daughter, Dorothy, of Canandaigua; her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Charles W. Clark, of Waterloo; and three brothers, Charles and Ralph, of Waterloo, and Louis Clark of Rochester. Interment will be at Woodlawn. The funeral services will be held at the home on Saturday afternoon at 2 o'clock. Rev. Herbert L. Gaylord will officiate.

From Ontario County Chronicle 16 November 1904

Shortsville, N. Y. - Mrs. Clarissa Weller,
wife of the late John Norman Weller, died at an early hour Friday morning, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. George H. Drummond of Robinson street, aged 68 years. Mrs. Weller had been ill but a week, and death was due to pneumonia. She was a daughter of the late Grandison and Electa Norton, and was born in McDonough, Chenango county, in 1836. On October 6, 1858, she was united in marriage  to John Norman Weller, and since his death on April 1, 1890, she has spent most of her time in this village. She is survived by three daughters, Mrs. George H. Drummond of Shortsville; Miss Edith Weller of Hannibal, Missouri, and Miss Ethel Weller of Clifton Springs; one granddaughter, Miss Helen Drummond of Shortsville; and two sisters, Mrs. Rufus Yeomans of Oxford, N. Y., and Mrs. Henry Lewis of McDonough. The funeral was held from the house at 3 o'clock Sunday afternoon, the Rev. Seymour C. Ferris, pastor of the Presbyterian church, officiating. Interment was in Brookside Cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 12 January 1929

Chapin, N. Y. - Mrs. Cornelia J. Weller,
aged 92 years, widow of Henry Weller, died at the family home on the Freshour road, near Chapin, Wednesday afternoon, following a short illness. She was born in Dutchess County July 24, 1836. On December 31, 1854, she was married to Henry Weller and came to reside in Chapin at the home where she died. She was a member of Hopewell Grange. She leaves a daughter and two sons, May E. and Henry Weller of Hopewell, and Samuel Weller of Canandaigua; one sister, Mrs. J. A. Van Alstyne of Cardiff. Burial was made in Chapman Cemetery, Hopewell, Saturday.

From Ontario County Journal 19 April 1907

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - 
The remains of Mrs. Elmira Root Weller, widow of E. R. Weller, were interred in the village cemetery on Thursday of last week. Her death occurred at Rochester on April 9. Mrs. Weller was a daughter of Satrull Root, who formerly lived in the house now owned by Edgar Page. She was 79 years of age. One son, Dr. J. E. Weller, of Rochester, survives.

From Ontario County Journal 28 April 1911

Rushville, N. Y. - 
After a brief illness caused by old age, Mrs. Rebecca Wellfare passed away at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Charles Start, Sunday evening, at 11 o'clock, at the advanced age of 84 years and 24 days. She was one of six children born to John and Sarah Falston, who were residents of England at the time. She was united in marriage to Thomas Wellfare before leaving England to take up their residence in this country. Five daughters came to bless this union. One died in infancy and another, who became the wife of Jacob VanGelder of Stanley, died three years ago. Twelve years ago Mrs. Wellfare came to this village to reside with her daughter. She survived her husband by 18 years. She leaves three daughters, Mrs. John Howell of Ingleside; Mrs. Richard Williams of Stanley, and Mrs. Charles Stark of this place; also 12 grandchildren, 16 great-grandchildren and one great-great-grandchild; also four sisters and one brother, and five living in England. The funeral services were held on Tuesday afternoon from her late home. Burial was made in the Baldwin cemetery.

From Victor Herald 9 February 1906

West Bloomfield, N. Y. -  Mrs. Angeline Wells
died after a short illness last Friday morning while visiting at the home of her niece, Mrs. Leete, in East Bloomfield. Mrs. Wells was 83 years of age and for the most part of her life made her home here. She was very much respected in the community. Her funeral was held Monday afternoon in East Bloomfield from the home of Mr. and Mrs. Leete and interment was made in this town in the Rural Cemetery. Rev. Newton Bates officiated.

From Neapolitan Record 9 September 1880

On Saturday last at 11 a.m. Benjamin Wells, aged 79 years, departed this life at the residence of William E. Webb, his son-in-law, where he had been a welcome guest for the last eight years. He was a kind father and neighbor, and much respected by all who were acquainted with him. The funeral services were held from the home on Sunday last at 1 p.m., Rev. C. G. Lowell officiating, and his remains deposited in Rose Ridge Cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 14 September 1900

South Bristol, N. Y. -
Died, at his home on Sept. 7, Benjamin D. Wells, aged 84 years. He was born near Lyons Hollow, Steuben county. At the age of 22 years he married Aurilla Ketch. It was here they commenced the battles of life which lasted over a period of 54 years. In 1862 he purchased a home and removed to this place where he had since resided. Seven children were born to them, of which three survive, Mrs. George Sutton of Bath, and Wesley Mills and Mrs. I. F. King, of this place. One brother, Silas Wells of Avoca, also survives.

From Ontario County Journal 26 April 1912

Naples, N. Y. - 
In the death of Mrs. Caroline Wells, Naples has lost one of its beloved and best known elderly women. She died in the beautiful home where she had ably presided for over 60 years and of which she was the center. She was one of five children of Dennison H. and Mary Monier Chesebro, the others being Robert, James and Henry Chesebro, and Mary, who became the wife of Hiram Maxfield. Mrs. Wells was the last survivor of the family. When Myron H. Clark moved from Naples to Canandaigua, he sold his home here to Mr. Chesebro, who came from Penfield, and was for many years a leading merchant in Naples. Mrs. Wells was born in 1825, and was educated in the select schools of Naples, her teachers being Holden Metcalf and Milan O.. and Noah T. Clarke. In 1844 she attended Lima Seminary, and in 1846 she was married to Elijah Wells, who was long engaged in business here and died in 1886. In her home, in society and in the church, she was ever active and efficient. None knew her but to love her. More than two years ago, she fell and fractured her hip, but during her long period of invalidism, she was possessed of love, courage, strength of will and a brave heart, putting always in the background her own troubles. Death came quietly and as a friend early on Friday morning, April 19. She had been devotedly cared for by her children and their love was returned in large measure.

She leaves two sons, Elijah and George H. Wells; and three daughters, Misses Lucy S. and Caroline C. Wells and Mrs. D. Dana Luther. Mrs. Wells was one of the oldest members of the First Presbyterian church, and delighted to further all religious beliefs by her money and influence. The funeral was held at the home on Main street on Sunday afternoon at 4 o'clock. In the casket she lay like one sleeping peacefully in the midst of luxurious flowers, which she loved so well. The service was attended by many friends and was conducted by Rev. S. T. Harding and Dr. J. H. France. The interment was in the family lot at Rose Ridge.

From Geneva Daily Times 27 July 1907

Canandaigua, N. Y. - Charles Franklin Wells died at New York City Thursday after two days' illness of apoplexy, and his remains were brought here yesterday for interment in Woodlawn Cemetery. Mr. Wells was well known in Canandaigua, as he passed his summers on the lake. When the Civil War broke out he enlisted, and served throughout the war. He later graduated from Amherst, and read law at the offices of the late Hon. Elihu M. Morse, after which he went to New York and remained there in the practice of his professions. His age was 62 years. Mr. Wells was a native of Niagara county. He was the only living relative of Mrs. E. R. Volk, of Spencerport. He was one of the leaders of the old county Democracy in New York City. Mr. Wells was a member of the Citizens' Union.

From Geneva Daily Times 6 December 1904

Clifton Springs, N. Y. -
The funeral of Mrs. Charles R. Wells, who died at her residence here late Friday night of dropsy, was held yesterday afternoon. Besides her husband, Mrs. Wells is survived by her mother, Mrs. Rowena Harmon of Troy, two sisters, Mrs. R. L. Leland of Troy; and one brother, H. N. Harmon, of Newark, N. Y.

From Ontario County Journal 2 June 1905

Shortsville, N. Y. - 
The funeral of Mrs. Clarissa Wells, wife of Albert Wells, of this village, was held from the home of her daughter, Mrs. Marsh, at Palmyra, on Monday, Rev. Dr. Hubbard, pastor of the Palmyra Baptist church officiating. The interment was in Brookside cemetery. Mrs. Wells, who was nearly 68 years of age, went to her daughter's home about a week before her death for a visit, and passed away on Friday. She is survived by her husband, Albert Wells of Shortsville; one son, Daniel Wells of Phelps; one daughter, Mrs. Marsh of Palmyra; and one sister, Mrs. Newton Smith of Manchester.

From Ontario County Times 26 March 1890

South Bristol, N. Y. -
The death of Mrs. D. W. Wells occurred at her late residence at Boswell's Corners, March 14th. The interment was at Lyons Hollow. The deceased has been an earnest and devout Christian since the age of seventeen. She died at the advanced age of 70 years and 7 months. Her mother is still living at the advanced age of 90 years. Mr. Wells, the husband, and two daughters were unable to attend the funeral on account of illness.

From Geneva Gazette 14 February 1896

Mrs. E. M. Wells,
aged 72 years, died at her home on Main street last Sunday morning.  She was a daughter of the late W. V. I. Mercer of Waterloo, but was born in Geneva in 1824.  After moving to Waterloo, she married Dr. Landon Wells, a well-known and highly respected physician.  After his death she resided alternately in New York and Philadelphia, returning to Geneva about fourteen years ago where she and her daughter have since made their home.  The funeral was held last Tuesday -- interment at Waterloo.

From Ontario County Journal 21 May 1886

Naples, N. Y. - Elijah Wells
died on Thursday of last week a little after noon. Though not a surprise to any of the family the shock was but little less severe. Mr. Wells was not only an honored business man, but was dearly beloved in his own home circle and in the church of which for many years he had been a faithful member. This is the first death in his family. Marked respect was shown on the day of the funeral. The business places were closed and a large assembly gathered at his residence. Rev. Mr. Millard spoke touchingly of the dead and appealed to the living to emulate his example. The love of the deceased for flowers was recognized in the abundance of the rarest and sweetest, formed into many appropriate designs, completely covering the casket and relieving the grave of its gloom. Mr. Wells leaves a wife and five children. He came to this place some fifty-five years ago and has actively engaged in business until his death. His son, E. Wells, jr., will succeed him in business.

From Ontario County Chronicle 12 March 1902

Shortsville, N. Y. - Mrs. Ellen Van Voorhis Wells,
widow of the late Simeon J. Wells, died at the Rochester Hospital Sunday last. The body was sent here Tuesday. The funeral took place in the M. E. Church the same day. The remains were placed in the family lot in Brookside cemetery. Mrs. Wells will long be remembered as a kind neighbor and good friend to all who knew her. The cause of her death was a cancer on her face. Her sufferings no one can tell.

From Geneva Daily Times 8 May 1907

Clifton Springs, N. Y. - At his late residence on Pleasant street tomorrow afternoon at 2:30 o'clock, will be held the funeral services of the late George Albert Wells.  Mr. Wells death occurred on Monday after an illness of about a week with pneumonia. For about seven years past he has had nervous prostration. In his early life he carried on a flour and feed business in Canandaigua, when he moved to New York city and for many years was a produce commission merchant in that city. For the past four years he has been a resident of this village. He was born in the town of Manchester in 1843. He is survived by his wife, two sisters, Mrs. Grover Patridge, and Mrs. G. H. Hollett, and one brother, J. H. Wells, all of Clifton Springs. The funeral services will be conducted by the Rev. P. H. Riegel and the burial will be made at Gypsum.

From Geneva Daily Times 2 November 1927

Henri Wells,
eighty-four years of age, died suddenly yesterday afternoon at his home at 142 Lafayette Avenue, after a brief illness. Death was due to heart disease. Mr. Wells had been up and about as usual but had not been feeling in good health since last Saturday, when he complained of a pain in his chest. He had been caring for his wife who had been ill with a severe cold for several days. It is thought that the undue strain and worry over his wife's condition and his own failing strength brought about the acute condition which caused his death. Yesterday morning when Dr. Covert called to attend Mrs. Wells, he found Mr. Wells also ill. He appeared to be very tired and complained of a pain in his chest. About 1:20 o'clock yesterday Dr. Covert was again called to the Wells home where he found Mr. Wells in grave condition. His death occurred shortly afterward.

Mr. Wells was a member of Swift Post of the G. A. R. and served as a member of Company H, 19th Illinois infantry during the Civil War. His death makes the fifth one on the ranks of the local G. A. R. since April last. Comrades of Mr. Wells in the G. A. R. will act as honorary bearers at the funeral. Mr. Wells was a member of the First Presbyterian church. The survivors are, besides his wife, two daughters Miss Florence Wells and Miss Lillian Wells of Yamaguchi, Japan; and one son, Dr. William Wells of Medina; and a brother, Fred Wells of Medina. The funeral will be held on Friday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock from his late home with Dr. Frank Weston officiating. Interment will be in Glenwood Cemetery.

From Livonia Gazette 9 August 1929

Ira G. Wells,
63, of Canandaigua, brother of Mrs. Addie Sharp of South Livonia, died Saturday night at the Memorial Hospital in Canandaigua. Besides his sister, Mrs. Sharp, he leaves his widow, Mrs. Mabel Wells; three sons, Leo and Emery of Canandaigua and Harrison of Holcomb; two daughters, Mrs. Mary Nudd and Mrs. Mabel Williams of Holcomb; two sisters, Mrs. Eugene King of Fairport and Mrs. George Combs of Geneseo; one brother, John Wells of South Livonia. The funeral was held Tuesday afternoon, with burial at Baptist Hill.

From Ontario County Journal 7 November 1884

Died, in Leonidas, St. Joe Co., Mich., Oct. 30th, J. K. Wells, aged 87 years and 9 months. Mr. Wells was a resident of this village for over 50 years. By his strict integrity he won the confidence and esteem of all who knew him. He leaves a wife and one sister, Mrs. Jane Looring, formerly of this village; also a niece, Mrs. James Larking of Chapinville. His remains were brought to this village for interment, Oct. 31st.

From Shortsville Enterprise 10 January 1935

The Angel of Death laying a heavy hand in the section for the past week, claimed Mrs. John Q. Wells on Friday morning, at her home, "Fruitmore," just west of Shortsville. Mrs. Wells was born in March, 1865, at Miller's Corners (now Ionia), the daughter of Col. John S. Browning, one of the original settlers in that section. She was united in marriage to John Q. Wells in 1883 and they established a home in East Bloomfield. Thirty-nine years ago, they move to Fruitmore, where they have since resided. Mrs. Wells was known far and wide for her fine character and beautiful voice, which was much in demand for public entertainments. She was also a gifted elocutionist for the National GAR Encampment when it met in Rochester 23 years ago. She was active in Grange affairs and was special installation Grange Deputy for Western New York. She began singing at the early age of three years and since then has sung at innumerable entertainments and over the radio. Audiences in 123 churches, poor houses, jails, school, etc., have heard her voice, blended with that of her husband, in gospel songs. They have also sung at 63 picnics, reunions and entertainments, and in more than 200 homes. For the past fourteen winters, Mr. and Mrs. Wells have been in Wilmington, N. C., where they had a wide circle of friends and acquaintances, this number being greatly augmented by their vocal efforts in that state.

The death of Mrs. Wells removes a good woman and true, one who was always interested particularly in the spiritual side of life, and we feel sure that her work was well done and leaves a monument that will remain to her memory. She is survived by her husband; two daughters, Mrs. Walter Mosher of Shortsville and Mrs. William Neffron of Rochester; two sons, Norman Wells of Shortsville and Charles Wells of Cleveland, Ohio; also four grandsons. Funeral services were held from her late home on Monday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock, conducted by the Rev. Stephen S. Pratt of Canandaigua, assisted by the Rev. Leon L. Swarthout and Rev. Albert W. Walker of Manchester. The remains were interred in Brookside Cemetery. More than 400 persons were in attendance at the funeral, attesting to the high esteem in which this good was held.

From Ontario County Chronicle 29 January 1902

Shortsville, N. Y. - Joseph Wells,
so well-known here for over 50 years, departed this life last Thursday at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Wm. Petty, three miles west of this place. Joseph had always been an active, honest citizen, dealing honestly with all. He owned a farm about one mile north of where he died, not only running his farm but also ran a saw mill and barrel factory until his only son was killed in the saw mill a few years ago. Then he sold out and resided with his children. He leaves besides his daughters, a host of friends to mourn the loss of a good man, who made the world better by his precept and example. The funeral occurred at his late home Saturday afternoon. The remains were buried in Manchester cemetery.

From Phelps Citizen 30 January 1913

Oliver York Wells
was born at Charlotte, Monroe county, March 27, 1834, and died at Clifton Springs Saturday morning, in his 79th year. In early manhood, he came to Melvin Hill with his parents and they purchased the farm now owned by Milton Gerow. After some years the family, Collin Wells with his wife, Catherine, removed to Michigan with their sons, Chester and Henry, and two daughters, Caroline and Elvina, with their families. Oliver added to the home farm and for nearly forty years lived a half mile west of Melvin Hill a successful and painstaking farmer. In 1853 he married Anna Eliza, oldest surviving daughter of the late Rev. C. G. Carpenter, and they were hoping to celebrate their golden wedding on July 2nd, this year. He leaves two daughters, Mrs. William S. DeVoll of Phelps, and Mrs. Russell B. Williamson of Clifton Springs; and three grandchildren, O. J., Anna, and J. C. DeVoll of Phelps. He united with the Baptist church of Phelps and was elected deacon. He was also a superintendent of the Sunday school and teacher of a bible class. He was always interested in the summer Sunday school held in the Melvin Hill school house which he superintended for several years. He was a loyal and devoted Christian man. No one ever heard a profane or obscene jest from his lips and his pastor spoke of the remarkable growth in his Christian life since he came to Clifton. He said no one ever heard his prayer without being uplifted and the church spoke of the power of his simple words in the meeting of the church.

In politics he was a lifelong Democrat. He held minor political offices in the town, was a teacher and trustee in the public schools, and everywhere a man universally respected. Rev. Volney Sage, of the Clifton Springs Baptist church, preached a comforting funeral sermon and Mr. Fitch sang two solos.  Rev. Mr. Parkwood, a resident minister, made some appropriate remarks in speaking of their long acquaintance of thirty years in which he had noticed a marked growth in his intellectual and spiritual nature. The Phelps church sent ferns and carnations. The bible class of which he was a member sent a large wreath; the young ladies connected with his daughters' classes sent a pillow and the church gave a handsome piece. Interment was made in the family lot at Phelps. Mr. Wills of Clifton taking charge of the funeral services and burial.

From Geneva Courier 31 July 1878

DIED - Reuben Wells -
Another good man is taken from us by death. Reuben Wells was taken ill on Friday the 26th inst., about 10 a.m., and died the same day in the evening. Mr. Wells was a man of sober, industrious habits and upright deportment, and highly esteemed by the whole community. His age was 71 years.  Clifton Springs

From Ontario County Journal 12 January 1900

Clifton Springs, N. Y. -
At his home on West Hill, on Tuesday morning, occurred the death of Robert Wells, of the firm of Wells Bros., grocers, of this village. Mr. Wells was an old and much respected resident, having come directly to this vicinity some 50 years ago with his brother, Thomas, who is his only surviving relative, outside his immediate family. He was 73 years of age, and besides a wife, leaves eight children who are respectively: Mrs. G. Ford, Mrs. C. Fonda of Gloversville; Mrs. Charles Stephens, Mrs. Herbert Stephens of Syracuse; Mrs. George Mosher, Misses Laura and Georgia and Robert Wells, Jr., of this village.

From Ontario Repository & Messenger 4 February 1892

Shortsville -
The many friends of Simeon J. Wells will regret to hear that he died at his home in Canandaigua last Friday. The funeral of Simeon Wells was held from his late residence Tuesday forenoon. He had been a great sufferer for the past two years from cancer of the stomach. The services were conducted by Rev. D. Davis, of the M. E. Church, of which organization the deceased had been a faithful member. The interment was made at Bloomfield. He leaves a widow, one daughter and three sons.

From Geneva Gazette 29 June 1900

Thomas Wells
of Clifton Springs was thrown from his buggy on his own premises last Wednesday and sustained such injury that his death followed in ten minutes.  He was 64 years old and a prominent and helpful member of St. John's Church.

From Ontario County Journal 30 April 1897

Clifton Springs, N. Y. -  Mrs. Thomas Wells
died at her residence in this village April 15. The funeral services were held on Easter Sunday in the Episcopal church. Mrs. Wells is survived by a husband and daughter.

From Ontario County Journal 6 January 1888

William Wells, a well-known barrel manufacturer of the town of Manchester, met with a terrible accident last week, which cost him his life. While operating a buzz saw in his cooper shop, a ladder became in some way dislodged, and falling on the saw, was thrown back with great force, striking Wells, and inflicting a terrible wound in his forehead. He was at once attended by Dr. J. D. Cooke, of Shortsville, but there was no chance for his recovery. He died from his injuries Sunday evening.

From Ontario County Times 4 January 1888

On Wednesday of last week while William Wells, of Manchester, was working in his saw mill, he was so seriously injured that he died on Sunday evening. It appears that he was running a buzz saw at the time of the accident, and in some manner a ladder fell upon the saw, which instantly hurled it against Mr. Wells' head, inflicting a deep gash and throwing him several feet away. Mr. Wells was a highly respected citizen, and his sudden death is deeply regretted by all who knew him. He leaves a wife, four children, three sisters, and aged father to mourn his loss.

From Shortsville Enterprise 25 June 1936

The death of William H. Wells of Farmington, occurred at his home on June 16. He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Ada Wells; one son, Charles; four sisters, Mrs. Sarah Brooks and Mrs. Mary Miller of Lima, Mrs. S. Tice of Rochester and Mrs. B. Champion of Blossvale; and one brother, George Wells of Portland. Funeral services were held from his late home at 2 o'clock Thursday afternoon and from South Farmington Chapel at 2:30 o'clock. Interment was made in South Farmington cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 18 November 1895

Mrs. Bridget Welsh
died Saturday evening at her home on North street, aged about fifty-five years, from a complication of diseases. Mrs. Welsh was a widow, the last of her family, her husband and daughter having preceded her several years. Deceased was an estimable, Christian woman, and had many friends who will mourn her death. The funeral was held at 9 o'clock this morning from St. Francis de Sales church. Interment was made in the Catholic cemetery.

From Geneva Gazette 17 April 1891

John Welsh,
a nurseryman of this place, committed suicide last Tuesday by taking rat poison.  He went to J. A. Zobrist's drug store Tuesday morning about ten o'clock and bought a bottle of rat poison, saying he was over-run with rats. He went to A. L. Sweet's drug store and purchased another bottle and took them both.  When he was being driven home in a hack he said he wanted to die, he was tired of living.  He died Tuesday night at 10 o'clock after enduring intense suffering for 12 hours. Dr. Blaine, the attending physician, says he was suffering from temporary  aberration of mind brought on by overwork and mental exhaustion.  He leaves a wife and a little girl.  He was in comfortable circumstances. The funeral services of Mr. Welsh were held this morning at 10 o'clock, Rev. Father MacDonald officiating.  It was very largely attended, there being over twenty-five carriages in the procession.

From Ontario County Journal 28 April 1911

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - 
The funeral of Mrs. Charlotte Welton was held from her late home Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock, conducted by Rev. G. S. Spencer, pastor of the Methodist church, of which she was a member, and interment was made at Baptist Hill. Mrs. Welton was born at Springwater 83 years ago. She had been twice married. Her first husband was Daniel Parsons. After his death she married Orsal Welton of this town. She is survived by a daughter, Mrs. Ann Alexander of this town, two sisters, Mrs. Sarah Hewett of Michigan and Mrs. Esther Worden of Salem, Ore; one brother, Francis Gilbert of Canandaigua, and four grandchildren.

From Ontario County Times 1 August 1877

Canadice, N. Y. -
Again death has invaded our community, and friends have followed to the grave a loved one. On Sunday evening, the 22nd instant, Mrs. Belle Wemett died of rheumatism and fever, aged eighteen years, at the residence of her foster parents, Mr. and Mrs. Noah Struble, of this town. Deceased was the widow of the late W. L. Wemett, who died a few months ago from the effect of a stroke on the head with a ball club. And thus has the wife early followed the husband to the tomb, leaving an infant son in orphanage. The funeral services were conducted by the the Rev. G. S. Watson, at the M. E. church on Tuesday last.

From Ontario County Times 6 December 1876

Canadice, N. Y. -
The baseball accident that happened in this town some time ago resulted fatally at last. Your readers will doubtless remember that Wm. L. Wemett was severely injured while playing ball in this town, on Saturday, the 23d of September last, by receiving a heavy stroke on the forehead from a ball club, which crushed in his skull. After several weeks he so far recovered as to be about again, and subsequently, considering himself well, commenced work. On the 20th ult., while at work laying stone wall, he took a severe cold, which became seated in the injured head, causing inflammation of the brain and terminating in his death on the 24th ult. He was twenty-six years of age on the day of his death, and leaves a wife and one child to mourn his untimely end.

From Victor Herald 20 October 1899

East Bloomfield, N. Y. -
Last Friday at noon occurred the death of Mrs. Eunice W. Wendell, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Geo. W. Hamlin, at the age of 73 years. She was the widow of the late Geo. W. Wendell, a former well-known resident of West Bloomfield. Funeral services were held at her late home last Monday, the Rev. W. D. Robinson officiating. The remains were taken to West Bloomfield for burial. There was a large attendance, many being present from out of town.

From Ontario County Journal 14 September 1917

Honeoye, N. Y. - 
While working for R. B. Short on Friday morning, William C. Wendt was so seriously injured by an ugly bull that he died that evening. Mr. Wendt was born in Rochester on August 18, 1871, a son of Fred and Mary Westphal Wendt. When 22 years of age, he came to Springwater to live. On August 1, 1901, he was married to Miss Flora Gould, of that place. About two years later he and his family came to West Richmond, where he had since lived. Besides his wife, leaves a son, Fred; his mother, Mrs. Mary Wendt of West Bloomfield; two sisters, Mrs. Martin Smith of West Bloomfield and Mrs. Martha LaMont, of West Richmond; and a brother, John Wendt of West Bloomfield. The funeral was held on Monday from his late home. Burial was made in Livonia.

From Ontario County Journal 29 September 1911

West Bloomfield, N. Y. - 
On Saturday morning occurred the death of Frederick Went, aged 72 years, from heart disease. Mr. Went moved here a few years ago from Hemlock and worked Ex-Supervisor Charles B. Pratt's farm. He is survived by his wife and four children, Mrs. Martha Lamont and William Went of Richmond; and Mrs. Carrie Smith and John Went of this town. His funeral was held on Monday morning with Rev. Charles Hamblin officiating. Interment was made in Springwater.

From Geneva Gazette 5 October 1900

Mrs. Ella F. Wentz
died at her home No. 18 1/2 Castle street last Wednesday evening, aged about 70 years.  Her maiden name was Everson, had been married twice and buried both husbands.  She is survived by two sisters, Mrs. Henry King and Mrs. Clement Ostrander.  She leaves no children.  She owned the building in which she had long resided and wherein she died. Funeral will take place from the house Saturday morning at 10 o'clock and will be private.  The body in its casket may be seen between 5 and 9 o'clock this evening at the house.

From Geneva Gazette 27 October 1893

A resident of Geneva from early boyhood, died at his residence on Castle street last Friday, in the 53rd year of his age.  He was the only son of Wm. Wentz, the predecessor of D. P. Nelson in the harness trade.  Warren also learned the trade and worked at it for many years, and until bodily infirmities compelled him to quit.  He was a constant reader of newspapers and kept well posted in passing events.  Not the least of good points that won the esteem of all of like faith was his earnest, unfaltering Democracy.  He was strictly temperate in his habits, and very neat and genteel in personal appearance. He never uttered an unkind word of a human being and received like courtesy from his fellowmen.  He had been married nearly 26 years, and his last long illness received unremitting, devoted and loving attentions from his sorrowing and now bereaved wife. His funeral took place last Saturday, Rev. R. D. Munger officiating.  Many beautiful floral tributes adorned his casket. Interment was made in Glenwood Cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 3 January 1914

Naples, N. Y. -  Mrs. John Werden
did at her home in this village on Monday morning at the age of 73 years, after an illness of only two weeks. She was born in Switzerland and has lived in Naples many years. She is survived by her husband and one daughter, Mrs. Fred Wohlschlegel of Seneca Falls; a son, Samuel Werden, residing at Lima, N. Y., and a son, John, living in California. Funeral services will be at the Presbyterian church today at 2 o'clock, conducted by Dr. France, with burial at Rose Ridge Cemetery.

From Ontario Co. Times 12 February 1908

Gorham, N. Y. -
Gorham people were shocked on Wednesday to learn of the sudden death of Charles Werley, a farmer living south of the village. In the morning, Mr. Werley drove to the village after his mother, and upon returning he went into the swamp in company with others, to cut wood. A tree that had been felled, was lodged in falling and as he made an effort to dislodge it with a blow from his ax, a piece of a limb flew and struck him on the side of the head, rendering him unconscious. He was taken to his home, where he died in a short time. Mr. Werley was a young man and a respected citizen, and his sad and sudden death has cast a gloom over the community. He leaves a wife and three small children, besides a mother and two sisters, Mrs. Frederick Kindelberger and Mrs. Elmer Pearson, who have the sympathy of all in their sad affliction. Funeral will be held this Saturday afternoon at 1 o'clock from the house and burial will be in the Gorham cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 11 June 1907

Gorham, N. Y. -
The death of Lewis Werley occurred at his home in this village Sunday morning. A few years ago, he received a shock from a stroke of lightning from which he never fully recovered, but from which time he had suffered from occasional bad attacks. Burial Gorham Cemetery

From Ontario County Journal 24 November 1916

Gorham, N. Y. - 
The death of Mrs. Margaret Werley occurred on Nov. 14, after lying nearly helpless for several months, following a shock, which occurred on June 6. Mrs. Werley was the daughter of Michael and Margaret Bender and was born in New York City about 80 years ago. She came to Potter when three years of age and had ever since lived in Gorham and Potter. She married Lewis Werley 59 years ago. Four children were born to them: George, who died at the age of three years; Charles, who died eight years ago; Mrs. Frederick Kindelberger and Mrs. Elmer Pearson, both of whom reside in this village. Mrs. Werley had been a member of the Lutheran church since she was 14 years of age. Besides her daughter, she is survived by seven grandchildren and four great-grandchildren. The funeral was held from her late home last week Thursday. A. B. Temple, D. D., of Seneca, officiated, and burial was in Hill Crest. Four grandchildren, Bert Kindelberger, George Hertel, Berlyn and Glen Werley, and two nephews, William Bender and Llewellyn Hermans, acted as bearers.

From Clifton Springs Press 21 February 1918

Charles Werner,
aged 61 years, for many years a well-known resident of Manchester, died at his home Friday evening. He had been an invalid for several months but death was due to the shock which he sustained on Sunday evening, Feb. 3, when an oil stove in his bedroom flamed up and set his clothing on fire, so that he was badly burned. He was born in Hazelton, Pa. In 1895 he entered the employ of the Lehigh Valley as a boiler maker in the Wilkesbarre shops, was transferred to Manchester shops in 1900, and in 1903 was made a boiler inspector by that company. Until 1912 he held that position, then resigned, and returned to his first trade, that of baker. He built a large store on Main street. Last May he was obliged to give up this work on account of ill health. On Feb. 17, 1897, he was married to Sarah A. Poole, of Wilkesbarre, who survives him. He was a member for twenty-five years of Wilkesbarre Lodge, I. O. O. F. He leaves his wife; four daughters, Mrs. Ralph Kipp of Shortsville, Mrs. Sidney Weir of Fort Richmond, N. Y., and the Misses Florence and Victoria Werner of Manchester; four sons, Lionel of Syracuse, David of U. S. Navy, Russell and George of Manchester; three brothers and four sisters.

From Geneva Daily Times 5 October 1910

Mrs. William D. Wertman,
wife of Letter Carrier Wertman, died yesterday afternoon about 4 o'clock at the family residence, No. 138 North street, after a long illness. She is survived by her husband, one daughter, Marjorie, and several brothers and sisters. The funeral will take place Saturday afternoon at 2:15 p.m., from the house and 3 o'clock from Trinity church. Rev. C. M. Sills, D. D. will officiate and burial will be in Glenwood Cemetery.

From Ontario County Times 23 October 1889

Naples, N. Y. -  Anna Wesley,
wife of Ed. Wesley, and only daughter of Solomon and Fannie Woodard, died on Saturday, October 19th, after an illness of only a few days' duration. Funeral services were held at the residence of William Wesley on Monday, October 21, at 2 o'clock p.m.

From Ontario County Journal 15 December 1899

William Wesley, Jr.,
who lives near the line between the towns of South Bristol and Richmond, met a frightful death at a late hour last Tuesday night. Wesley had been assisting his brother, who lives in South Bristol, during the day, and started home late in the evening. He drove a heavy team and lumber wagon. There is a point on the road he was traversing where a lane leads through a piece of woods, which is taken occasionally by persons who wish to make a short cut and avoid two large hills. Wesley took this road, but never came out on the other side of the wood. He did not come home that night and the next morning his mother, anxious as to his whereabouts, went to the barn. She found the horses he left home with in the barn yard, stripped of everything except their collars. Without notifying the rest of the family, she started off in the direction of the lane through the woods. At a point where the path diverges, she came upon the wagon. Near it was lying the dead body of her son. Assistance was called and further investigation made it clear that the horses had run away. When they reached the point where the lane turns, they had apparently separated and run on either side of a large oak tree, against which the wagon was deposited. Marks on the tree and on the ground beneath indicated that Wesley had been thrown against it with great force. It was evident that death was not instantaneous, as a trail of blood was found extending from the base of the tree to the place where Wesley's body was found, a distance of about five feet. The right side of the dead man's face was terribly swollen -- another indication that he lived some time after receiving the blow. The exact nature of the injury was not ascertained, but the bones of his face and his skull were apparently crushed. Wesley was a hard working, industrious man, about 40 years of age, and leaves a wife and five children, the youngest being about one month old. No inquest was held.

From Victor Herald 14 February 1891

Geo. N. West
died on Friday morning about six o'clock, and funeral services will be held at his late residence tomorrow afternoon at two o'clock.

From Geneva Daily Times 29 November 1897

James West The deceased was born in Canterbury, Kent, England, Sept. 20th, 1833, and has lived in the United States for thirty-eight years. Mr. West was well known in Geneva died Sunday morning at 6:30 o'clock, at his residence, 447 Castle street, aged 64 years. He was an old and much respected resident having lived in this town for thirty-five years. He had been foreman in the nursery of H. E. Merrell for a long time. The deceased leaves a son, Stephen West of this city, and six daughters, Mrs. Fred Foreman and Lucy West of Geneva, Mrs. Boulton and Lottie West of Rochester, Mrs. T. C. Keane of Buffalo, and Mrs. James Adams of San Diego, California and leaves many friends who greatly mourn his loss. He was extremely popular and was a trustee of Old Castle Lodge, I. O. O. F. He is spoken of as being a prominent and devoted member of that order. The funeral will take place from Trinity church Wednesday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock, the burial to be made in the Washington Street cemetery.

From Ontario County Times 15 September 1880

Victor, N. Y. - Mr. Jonathan West,
for many years a resident of this place, died here on Thursday at the advanced age of ninety-four years. The funeral services were held in the Universalist church on Sunday morning, the Rev. Mr. Borden officiating.

From Ontario Messenger 22 April 1846

In Bristol, on the 27th of March, after a severe illness of 12 days, Nathan West, late of Richmond, aged 72 years. The deceased in early life emigrated from the state of Massachusetts to the Genesee country. He was ever a firm and consistent advocate of the principles of republicanism as taught by Jefferson and Madison, and in him his afflicted children have lost a kind and affectionate father, his relations and neighbors a long tried friend, and society an ornament and support. He died as he had lived rejoicing in the belief of the final holiness and happiness of all mankind.

From Ontario County Journal 4 August 1905

Naples, N. Y. -  William West,
a lifelong resident of Naples, aged about 77 years, died of paralysis on July 27, having lain a week helpless. He was the son of a pioneer, William West, who came to Naples from Canadice nearly a century since. There were three sons and two daughters in the West family, of whom none but one son is living, Damon in the west. Besides the wife, Mr. West leaves one son, William, at whose home the father died.

From Naples Record 12 June 1875

Wm. West,
aged about seventy, living at Allens Hill, died from heart disease Sunday morning, the 6th inst. The funeral services were held in the church, Monday 7th, at 2 p.m.

From Ontario County Journal 1 March 1901

Naples, N. Y. -  Isaac W. Westbrook,
a Naples veteran, died Feb. 21, at the Bath Soldiers home, where he had been an inmate for several years. He served three years in Co. G, One Hundred Forty-eighth Regiment, New York volunteers. He was one of five sturdy young men of Garlinghouse, who together left their neighboring harvest fields in 1862 and enlisted in this company. They all came back. Three of them have succumbed to disabilities there incurred. Mr. Westbrook's age was about 64. He was one of the two sons and four daughters of Jesse Westbrook, and is the first to die. He married Miss Hannah Liddiard, who also survives him. The burial was in the Home cemetery at Bath.

From Geneva Daily Times 30 September 1903

Phelps, N. Y. - Albert Westfall,
who suffered a stroke of paralysis last week died at the home of his son, George, Sunday evening. The remains will be taken to Lyons for burial today. Mr. Westfall was 91 years of age.

From Ontario County Chronicle 23 April 1902

Phelps, N. Y. - Mrs. Westfall, wife of Alfred Westfall,
whose home was two miles northeast of Phelps, died Thursday morning at 11 o'clock of a complication of diseases, in her 75th year. She is survived by her husband.

From Geneva Daily Times 8 December 1906

Phelps, N. Y. - Alfred Westfall, a lifelong resident of the town of Phelps, died yesterday at his home north of this village. He lived with his nephew, Bert Westfall and wife, since the death of his wife some time ago. He was 74 years of age and leaves one brother, Benjamin Westfall. The funeral will be held Monday afternoon.

From Phelps Citizen 21 December 1905

Mrs. Elizabeth Westfall Passes Away at the Age of Ninety-two Years -
The death of Mrs Elizabeth Westfall, one of the oldest and best known residents of this town, occurred at the home of her granddaughter, Mrs. J. Q. Palmer, shortly before noon on Monday. Mrs. Westfall for the past few years had been in poor health at times, but was remarkably smart for a person of her years. She was up and about the house as usual until Saturday afternoon when, without warning, she was stricken with apoplexy, which rendered her unconscious and left no hope of recovery.

Mrs. Westfall was the eldest child of James and Margaret Hornbeck, who owned 300 acres of land, a part of which is now owned by a son, James Hornbeck. Both of her grandfathers served in the war of the Revolution and both lost their lives in defense of their country. Her father was also a soldier. He resided in New Jersey and was ordered to Sodus Point during the War of 1812. Instead of returning to New Jersey, he remained there. Mrs. Westfall was born February 12, 1814, and was therefore nearly 92 years old. With the exception of a brief residence in Michigan, her entire life was passed here. She was a woman of noble characteristics, and many years of her life were devoted to adding to the comfort and happiness of these about her. She is survived by one daughter, Mrs. H. B. Lay, one sister, Mrs. Elvira Forbes of Chicago, and a brother, James H. Hornbeck; also two granddaughters, Mrs. Palmer and Mrs. C. H. Williams, and a grandson, Anson B. Lay, and several great-grandchildren. The funeral will be held from the house this afternoon at half-past one, the Rev. C. E. Gregory officiating. Burial will be in the East Newark cemetery where the remains will be laid to rest enclosed in a Sozonian air-tight, water-tight and indestructible casket case manufactured by the Brown Oil Can of Toledo.

From Geneva Gazette 7 July 1882

Mrs. Kate B. Westfall
died at the residence of her father (Lewis Holbrook) in Phelps, on the 2d inst., after years of intense suffering. Her husband and a child of six years survive her.

From Naples Record 2 October 1889

Mrs. Margaret Westfall
died at the home of her son, Albert Westfall, near Phelps, on Tuesday of last week, aged 83 years.

From Geneva Gazette 3 March 1871

Death of Samuel Westfall, Esq. of Phelps -
Again we are admonished how sudden is the approach of the King of Terrors. Another citizen has been called to his final resting place.  Friends have gathered again to bid adieu to one of their number. Solemn, impressive, yet oh, how sure is death !  On Tuesday morning the 21st inst., Mr. Westfall arose, performed the usual work about the premises as he had been accustomed to do, and went out to his woodhouse to saw wood.  He cut a few sticks and split the same, and commenced piling them, when suddenly he was noticed by his little grandchild who was present to fall over backwards.  The child immediately ran into the house and told his grandmother and aunt that "his grandpa had fallen over backwards and could not get up."  They proceeded at once to the woodhouse and found him lying on the ground. They raised him up but he breathed but a few times and was dead.  Mr. Westfall had not enjoyed good health for a number of years, yet his death at the time was unlooked for.  He lived to see a large family of children grow to man and womanhood, and but a few weeks since to see one of his daughters buried.  He was a farmer by occupation, having inherited a portion of his father's estate, which, when a young man he entered upon, and resided till the time of his death.  His father was summoned to the boundary line between this state and Canada as a militiaman in 1812, and in the skirmish at Kingston, Canada, lost his life.  Mr. Westfall was thoroughly imbued with Democratic principles, as was his father before him; and but few men in his position and standing were more intelligent, more ready to defend the faith that was in him.  As a neighbor he was respected, as a parent much revered, as a citizen and one of the pioneers of the town highly honored.  His wife and several children survive him.  His funeral was attended from his late residence on Friday, the 24th inst., by a large concourse of citizens and friends assembled on that beautiful springlike day to pay him the last tribute of respect and honor.

From Phelps Citizen 10 February 1887

Death of Mrs. Sarah Cortright Westfall. Born in New Jersey Oct. 16, 1802. Died Jan. 29th, 1887, aged 84 years, 8 months, 18 days. Came to Phelps in 1824, located near her home where she has since resided. Married to Mr. Samuel Westfall April 7, 1825. Five children have been the product of this union, all of whom have grown to womanhood and manhood, Phebe Jane, Catherine, Alfred, Benjamin F. and Harriet A. Three of the above are yet living, viz, Phebe Jane Butterfield, Alfred Westfall and Benjamin F. Westfall.

From Ontario County Journal 22 December 1911

Manchester, N. Y. -  William Smith Westfall,
a well-known and highly esteemed farmer residing two miles west of Shortsville, was instantly killed near Port Gibson by the R. S. and E. limited west bound on Monday. Mr. and Mrs. Westfall left the trolley local at stop 35 about 3:20 p.m, when Mr. Westfall started up the track to Mr. Smith's residence on an errand. Seeing a work train coming, he stepped on the other track in front of the limited car, coming at full speed. Mr. Westfall was 77 years old. He served in the 126th regiment throughout the Civil war, was wounded in the battle of Gettysburg; also at Strawberry Plains. He was promoted from corporal to the rank of sergeant. After the war, he resided in Port Gibson until two years ago, when he bought a farm near Shortsville, which he recently sold. He went to Port Gibson in quest of another farm. He was a member of the Methodist church. He is survived by his wife, two daughters, Mrs. Perry Sampson of Detroit, Mich., and Mrs. Kate Cullver; and one son, Gilbert Westfall of Palmyra.

From Geneva Daily Times 16 December 1912

Alexander J. Weston,
of the town of Phelps, died this morning at 6 o'clock at his home, age 88 years. Mr. Weston was born in Canada but had lived in the town of Phelps for fifty years. He was one of a large family consisting of seven boys and five girls, all born in Canada. The cause of death was peritonitis. He leaves besides his wife, two sons and three daughters: Rev. Frank M. Weston of Rochester, James H. Weston of Phelps, A. Eva Weston and Lillian Weston of Phelps, and Nellie S. Weston of White Plains. The funeral services will be held from the house at 1:30 and from the Oaks Corners Presbyterian church at 2 o'clock on Wednesday afternoon, Rev. Mr. Sayre of Oaks Corners officiating. Interment will be in Joslyn Cemetery. 

From Phelps Citizen 25 July 1889

Mrs. John Weston,
of Clifton Springs, died of cancer last Saturday, after many months of suffering. Funeral services were held last Sunday afternoon.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 18 October 1923

Clifton Springs, N. Y., Oct. 17 - William Weston,
died this afternoon at his home in Hibbard avenue, following an illness of several years duration. Mr. Weston is survived by his wife; one daughter, Miss Maud Weston; two sisters Mrs. Mary Robison and Miss Sarah Weston, all of this village. Four nieces also survive. Funeral services will be held from the house at 2:30 o'clock on Friday afternoon, Rev. Ruthven S. Chalmers officiating. Burial will be made in Clifton Springs cemetery.

The Geneva Times, Wednesday, June 10, 1970

Mrs. Rolin Wetherbee Sr - SENECA CASTLE Funeral services for Mrs. Mildred M. (Bucklin) Wetherbee, 75, of Whitney Rd., who died Monday night at Geneva General Hospital after a long illness, will be 2 p.m. Thursday in the Bennett Funeral Home Inc. with the Rev. Herbert Tennies, pastor of the Seneca Presbyterian Church Number Nine, officiating. Burial will be in SandHill Cemetery. Friends may call at the funeral home today from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. Surviving are her husband, Rolin Wetherbee, Sr., of Seneca Castle; a daughter-in-law, Mrs. Gertrude Wetherbee of Waterloo; two grandchildren, Mrs. William (Carol) Miller of Waterloo and Lawrence Wetherbee of Geneva; three great-grandchildren and several nieces and nephews

Many thanks to Adrienne for this donation.

From Geneva Gazette 11 March 1881

Mr. John Wetherly,
a well-known farmer and gardener residing in the southeast part of the town of Phelps, about two miles from Geneva, died on Sunday last, after an illness of about four months - aged 73 years. We bewail his loss as that of a steadfast friend and patron for twenty-five years. He was "one of God's noblest works - an honest man," a kind and sympathizing neighbor, and an intelligent, progressive farmer. He will be greatly missed in his neighborhood, and indeed in a wide circle of friends. He leaves a widow, (his second wife,) and two children, a son and daughter. Deceased was a faithful and zealous churchman, doing his full part in establishing and supporting the North Mission, of which also he was one of the Vestry. Living in the worship and favor of the Lord, we have the Scripture promise that, dying, he has entered upon his reward.

From Ontario County Journal 8 July 1898

East Bloomfield, N. Y. -  Mrs. Samuel Wetmore,
the oldest resident of this town, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Wm. Murrell, on Sunday morning. Mrs. Wetmore was born in Hadan, Conn., in the year 1798, and had been a resident of this town for the past 13 years. The funeral services were held from the home of her daughter on Tuesday afternoon at 4 o'clock, the Rev. B. F. Hitchcock, pastor of the M. E. church, officiating.

From Geneva Gazette 20 June 1879

Dr. Edwin Weyburn,
a well-known physician and citizen of Geneva for 40 years, died at his residence on Sunday evening last. He had been a great sufferer for four months, and death was to him a great relief.  Dr. Weyburn was born six miles south of Geneva, near what is now called Earl's, on November 20th, 1818, and was therefore in his 61st year.  He removed to Geneva while a young man, married, and began the study of medicine with the late Dr. Jedediah Smith, and was graduated from the Syracuse Medical College in 1848.  His practice has been extensive over a period of thirty-five years.  The doctor leaves a sister, four sons and one daughter.  They are Dr. H. D. Weyburn of Geneva, M. C. Weyburn of Dixon, Ill., L. A. and S. F. Weyburn of Rockford, Ill.  The doctor was a kind and loving father and a genial friend.  He had a large circle of friends and patients who will mourn his death.  The funeral services took place at his late residence on Geneva st. yesterday afternoon, Rev. Dr. Moore officiating.  The interment took place at Glenwood cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 27 October 1897

Mrs. Cora Weyburn, wife of Dr. Henry D. Weyburn, of this city, died at the Rochester Homeopathic hospital at 11:30 o'clock last night, aged 47 years. The remains will be brought from Rochester to this afternoon, probably arriving at 4:30 o'clock. The funeral will take place from the Baptist church Friday afternoon. By request of the deceased, Dr. David Moore, former pastor of the Baptist church, will officiate. Mrs. Weyburn had completed all arrangements for her burial, in case she did not survive the difficult operation she was compelled to undergo a week ago. For some time the unfortunate woman has suffered from a malignant growth which was pronounced incurable save by operation. Something over a week ago she decided to have the operation performed, although the fact that the chance for her recovery was about one in twenty-five was not concealed from her. She was therefore removed to the Rochester Homeopathic hospital. Mrs. Weyburn was born near Albany, where she lived until her marriage to Dr. Weyburn. Her father and two brothers now reside at Guilderland near her former home. She is also survived by her husband, four daughters, Mrs. E. S. Parker, Ruby, Dora and Elsie and one son, Lester W. Weyburn. The deceased was an active worker in the Baptist church, and was well-known and highly respected in Geneva.

From Geneva Gazette 25 May 1877

Death of Mrs. Weyburn -
An exemplary Christian wife and mother has passed away. After a long and painful illness, Mrs. Elsie, wife of Dr. Edwin Weyburn, died on Friday evening last, in the 58th year of her age.  She was a daughter of the late Benjamin Wooden of this town, and was born and spent her long and useful life among us.  She had been a devout and faithful member of the Baptist Church for forty years.  She leaves a family of five children, two only of whom remain with us -- Dr. H. D. and Miss Lottie.  Three sons reside in Illinois.  Our community heartily sympathize with the surviving relatives in their bereavement.

From Geneva Daily Times 27 January 1904

Mary Weyeneth
died yesterday at her home at Seneca Castle, aged sixty-one. The deceased, who came from Beaver Falls to Seneca Castle four years ago, is survived by her husband and one son, Fred Weyeneth of Seneca Castle. Mrs. William Black of this city is a granddaughter. The funeral will take place at 10 o'clock Friday from the house. Burial will be in Whitney cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 5 July 1927

Seneca Castle, N. Y. - 
Funeral services for Fred N. Weyneth took place on Sunday at 3 o'clock at the home and 3:30 at the Methodist church of which he was a member. Mr. Weyneth was born at Beaver Falls, in the year 1859, being 68 years of age. Before coming to Seneca Castle where he has been engaged in farming for the past twenty-four years, he spent ten years in New York City. He had been in failing health for the past year but his death came as a shock to the community in which he had many friends who will feel his loss. He leaves to mourn his loss, his widow, one son, Leigh N Weyneth; two daughters, Mrs. Charles Spangle, Mrs. Leon Jones; and six grandchildren, all of this place. The bearers were Henry Schoonmaker, Albert Ottley, Frank Whitney, E. W. Ferguson, A. C. Cours, E. G. Roper. Interment was in the Whitney cemetery.

Return to Ontario County Homepage

Copyright 2004-16, Ontario County NYGenWeb and each contributor and author of materials herein. All rights reserved.