The Town of Victor celebrated it's 100th anniversary in August 1913.
The events program printed short histories of local businesses.
listed in the 1910 census might be linked with the businesses listed.
the Ontario County or Town of Victor historians for more information.
BOSSE & ERNST
The first men's tailor in Victor was probably some hard working pioneer housewife, who laid her pattern upon a piece of homespun, and with clumsy shears and patient needle fashioned the garments needful for the protection and comfort of her men folks. In an early day a merchant tailor appeared upon the scene, establishing his shop, in 1833, in a little brick building on the site of the present Pimm barber shop.
In 1913, Victor has a merchant tailoring concern which has gained a
splendid reputation for fine workmanship and perfect reliability.
This is the firm of Bosse & Ernst, which maintains establishments
in the Dake building, Rochester, and the Henehan block, Victor.
Bosse & Ernst, who are the successors of Walling & Brace,
do tailoring for both ladies and
gentlemen and also repairing, cleaning and pressing. They have an
enviable record for satisfying every customer.
E. C. BRISTOL
E. C. Bristol is the veteran dispenser of meat products in the town,
having been in the business community for thirty years. Other meat
merchants have come and gone, as the years passed by, but the market of
E.C. Bristol has been an established institution and one of the
business landmarks of the
town. For many years the "Bristol Market," was located in the
Union Hall Block, until burned out in the fire of October, 1899.
Mr. Bristol built a brick block on the north side of Main street
in 1900, in which is
located his market and family residence. Besides meat - fish,
oysters, and vegetables are handled in their season, and his aim is to
customers by prompt service and the quality of his goods.
EDGAR B. CASE
It was in 1900 that Edgar B. Case came to Victor and purchased the undertaking business of Ziba C. Curtice, the transaction including the pretty residence on Maple avenue in which Mr. Curtice had lived. Mr. Case had been in the same business at East Bloomfield, as a member of the firm of Wheeler & Case, and both he and Mrs. Case are licensed embalmers and funeral directors.
Tactful, courteous and capable, Mr. Case soon won the confidence of his townsmen, many of whom, in the time of affliction, have found him a wise counsellor and kindly assistant.
Mr. Case has served several terms upon the Village Board of Trustees
and is now president of the village.
FRANK E. COBB
Frank E. Cobb has been doing business in Victor since March 17th,
1884, succeeding John R. Woolsey, who established the store in 1878.
fire of 1898, on the north side of Main street, Mr. Cobb was burned
out, saving a portion of his goods. He resumed business temporarily in
Hall, removing later to the Goodnow block, now called the Prentice
and from there to his present location when the second Goodnow block
completed in 1904. This store is one of the neatest, cleanest,
kept establishments of its kind to be found in any village in Western
York. Mr. Cobb supplies his customers with the best in his line
trade, which includes not only drugs, but fine confectionery, cigars,
toilet and fancy articles and many other desirable conveniences.
has the record of doing business under his own name longer than any
merchant in town.
WILLIAM B. GALLUP
The old Gallup store was built by Thomas Embry in 1835. Arah P. Dickinson was one of the early proprietors, with William Gallup as a partner for a number of years, when Dickinson was succeeded in the partnership by Myron H. Decker. James Boughton and Stephen B. Crocker were also at one time partners with Mr. Gallup. Upon the death of his father, William B. Gallup took the business in charge and is the present proprietor.
The old store, together with the Gallup residence, was burned in
January, 1893. Undismayed by misfortune, Mr. Gallup promptly made
plans for the erection of the new store, which is built of brick, two
stories in height, the upper floor front being used for offices by L.
G.. Loomis & Son. The east side of the upper floor back is
arranged as a hall for lodge or other meetings. There is an elevator in
the rear, which runs from the cellar
to the second floor. The store has a large plate glass front and
being electrically lighted presents a fine appearance from the street
in the evening.
It used to be said, years ago, that one could buy anything from a
to an elephant at Gallup's store; the present proprietor has cut out
elephant but has for sale nearly everything a reasonable person could
to find in a country store. His stock is large, varied and well
W. A. HIGINBOTHAM & CO.
A most important part in the upbuilding of a town is taken by its banking institutions. To them the manufacturing industry and the merchant go for emergency capital. At the bank the ambitious young man, who would raise funds to buy a farm or hoe, finds the money with which to finance his project. The volume of its bank deposits is a splendid indication of the prosperity of a community, and upon the wisdom and helpfulness of the banker depends much of the material progress made by its citizens.
It was in 1883, thirty years ago, that William A. Higinbotham, the senior member of the firm of W.A. Higinbotham & Co. came to Victor and, in partnership with Hiram T. Parmele and Henry W. Hamlin, established a bank. The interest of Messrs. Parmele and Hamlin was purchased in 1887 by Marvin A. Wilbur, who continued in the business until May, 1900. Deferring to Mr. Wilbur's desire to retire from active business Mr. Higinbotham took over his interest at at that time and alone conducted the bank until February, 1912, when, realizing the uncertainty of life and desiring to make certain the uninterrupted operation of the institution, he formed a co-partnership, A. H. Higinbotham and A. Higinbotham being the other members of the firm.
For thirty years the Higinbotham bank has enjoyed the merited
confidence of its patrons. Conservatively managed, it has
effectually safeguarded the interests of its depositors, while giving
aid to every individual and enterprise when a due regard for safety
would permit. Charles A. Moore has for several years been cashier
of the bank.
WILLIAM F. KEATING
The long and costly fire record of Victor emphasizes the value to the community of the fire insurance agency conducted by William F. Keating, which has paid over many thousands of dollars to reimburse sufferers in the conflagrations which have swept the business part of the village and also to the owners of farm buildings and residences destroyed by fire. The old, reliable fire insurance companies of the United States, such as the Home and Aetna, have been represented in Victor since the early '6-s, and the Continental since 1883. They have backed up efficient local representation with equitable adjustment and prompt settlement of losses.
William R. Dryer founded the agency in 1864. Successors to the business were George M. Walling, Stephen R. Estes, Gilbert Turner, Burke Bros., and M. W.. Burke & Co., of whom Mr. Keating bought the agency in 1905.
Mr. Keating also writes life, accident and liability insurance. His
offices are in his residence on West Main street, near the postoffice.
THE LOCKE INSULATOR MFG. CO.
An industry which has carried the name of Victor to the farthermost part of the earth and, incidentally, been the basis of much of the present-day prosperity of the village of Victor is the Locke Insulator Mfg. Co.'s extensive plant, located at the New York Central crossing on Maple avenue. The company is the largest in the world manufacturing high-tension insulators for electrical transmission lines. It has extensive branch factories at Lima, N. Y., and Hamilton, Ontario. The latter has been recently erected and will be put in operation within a few weeks.
Fred M. Locke, a resident of Victor who retired from active business in 1904, is the founder of this industry and the inventor of the porcelain insulator which is now so common a sight upon the poles and towers of the electric power lines traversing the country. Mr. Locke came to Victor as a telegraph operator for the New York Central railroad. While he was thus employed there came under his observation the inadequacy of the glass insulators then commonly used, when put to unusual strain by electric storms, and he began a series of experiments in the effort to perfect a better insulator. Soon he discovered that both a new form and a new material were essential to the solution of his problem. The result of several years of untiring effort was the "petticoat" insulator, constructed of porcelain of unusual strength. Mr. Locke "fired" his experimental insulators in the oven of a kitchen stove. Satisfied that he had perfected his invention and could demonstrate its value to the electrical world, Mr. Locke began, in 1898, the manufacture of porcelain insulators. His first factory was an old sawmill and but six men were employed. Mr. Lock's invention was most opportune. The thought of harnessing the great water-powers of the country for the creation of electrical energy and the possibility of transmitting that energy over a considerable area had fired the imagination of many electrical engineers, and the Locke invention went far to make possible the realization of their boldest excursions into the realms of fancy. So the business of manufacturing porcelain insulators grew by leaps and bounds. Building after building was erected to meet the ever-increasing demands of the business and the force of employees grew to number two hundred or more. In 1900 the entire factory, with the exception of the office, was destroyed by fire. It was at once rebuilt on a more extensive scale.
Capitalists were attracted by the great possibilities of the industry and in 1902 the business was incorporated under the name of The Lock Insulator Manufacturing Company. The bringing in of additional capital made possible a rapid development of the industry upon a most extensive scale. A staff of electrical and ceramic engineers was assembled and the work of making and testing insulators was laid out on scientific lines. It was the desire of the management that insulator production should be put upon the high plane of other electrical industries.
A visit to the Victor plant of the Locke Insulator Mfg. Co. is one of absorbing interest and convincing proof of the magnitude of the enterprise. The comparatively small frame building of earlier days has been the center of almost countless additions, built of the same material, and, in addition, there is a large re-enforced concrete building, a brick power house and a brick testing and research laboratory. All these spread over a large area and one needs a guide if his visit is to give him a comprehensive survey of the plant. But one kiln was needed in 1898. Now there is a battery of thirteen, of which three have been erected within a few months.
A determination to keep abreast of every advance in electrical science, and the establishment of a rigid standard of electrical and mechanical strength for its product have enabled the Locke Insulator Mfg. Co. to retain its position at the head of the insulator industry, a position in which every citizen of Victor has a just pride.
The officers of the company are: President, John F. Alden of
Rochester; vice-president, Henry M. Parmele of East Bloomfield;
secretary, John S. Lapp
of Victor; treasurer, John W. Cleveland of Pittsford. John F. Alden,
H. Palmer, D.D. Scully and W.E. Moore, of Rochester; Frank H. Hamlin of
Henry M. Parmele of East Bloomfield and William A. Higinbotham of
are the directors.
L. G. LOOMIS & SON
Among the largest wholesale produce concerns of Western New York is that of L.G. Loomis & Son of Victor. Leslie George Loomis, the senior partner in the firm, entered the produce business thirty-five years ago, when he became a member of the firm of E.S. Norton. Four years later, in 1882, he formed a partnership with W.C. Woodworth, in the same line of business, the firm being Loomis & Woodworth, with offices at Victor. On August 1st, 1907, Mr. Woodworth retired, and Mr. Loomis admitted his son, Leslie George, Jr., to membership in the firm, since known as L.G. Loomis & Son. The business is a large and flourishing one, agents being stationed at various points for the purchase of produce. The large brick warehouse of the concern is located near the Lehigh Valley tracks in this village.
The senior member of the firm was born in Farmington, Ontario
was graduated from the Canandaigua Academy and began his business
as a bookkeeper two years before he entered the produce business.
Leslie George Loomis, Jr., was born in Victor and was graduated
from the Victor
high school and from Williams College. The Loomis family of
is descended from some of the earliest settled in the New England
E. T. MALONE & CO.
E. T. Malone & Co. conduct in the Walling block a men's
furnishing store, which was established in April, 1912. Their
stock consists of
men's clothing and furnishings - from outfits for the most fastidious
overall and blouses - hats, caps and boy's clothing, and in their shoe
department is found a well selected stock of prevailing styles, from
the finest shoe for lady or gentleman to the workman's plow shoe, there
in stock at all times to meet the needs of would-be purchasers.
T. Malone & Co. conducted a general store for many years, being the
successors, in 1898, of John Regan, who started the store in 1896.
They sold the
general store to Charles F. Zeitler in 1912. E. T. Malone, the
of the firm, is one of our most popular and enterprising citizens, and,
been born and reared in the town, is deeply interested in its welfare
EDWARD S. McCARTHY
Among the most enterprising business men of Victor is Edward S. McCarthy, whose large coal elevator is located on the tracks of the New York Central railroad, a short distance east of the passenger station. Mr. McCarthy deals in both coal and coke, and also has a considerable trade in fertilizers, fence wire and posts, roofing and binding twine.
In 1909, having grown tired of old-fashioned ways of transferring the annually increasing tonnage of coal from car to shed, Mr. McCarthy erected his elevator, which is said by experts to be of very ingenious construction. Built upon a side hill, the bins rest upon sloping ground, and are at exactly the right height to permit of loading wagons in the easiest possible manner. There are six bins, and each is of 250 tons capacity. The coal is dropped through the railroad track into a pit and from there a basket conveyor takes it to the top of the elevator where it is dumped on a screen over which it passes to a conveyor and thence through chutes to the bins. The unloading capacity is from fifty to sixty tons an hour. The screening of the coal before it goes to the bins is a unique and valuable feature.
Mr. McCarthy was born in Victor within a short distance of the
location of his business property and fine residence, and is today one
of the most substantial and reliable citizens of the town.
DR. ALFRED M. MEAD
Dr. Alfred M. Mead was born at Macedon Center, N.Y., November 21st, 1856, the second son of John G. and Emma B. Cookingham Mead. He attended the public schools in his native town and Madison Academy, from which he was graduated in 1876. He then entered the Buffalo Medical College, and upon his graduation from that institution, in 1880, he at once began the practice of medicine in Victor. He has achieved high rank in his profession.
Dr. Mead is one of the directors of the Memorial Hospital,
Canandaigua; member of Ontario County Medical Society, the New York
State Medical Society, and the American Medical Association. He
has held the office of president of the County Medical Society, and has
served two terms as coroner of the county. He was a trustee of
the village for several years and is a member of the Board of
WILLIAM B. MOORE
One hundred years ago or more, when Victor was an infant, a wise old philosopher declared that "Cleanliness is next to Godliness." If this be true, and we believe it is, then William B. Moore, Victor's only laundryman, is entitled to rank as a missionary, for he has worked valiantly at the job of keeping clean the habilments of Victor folk for many a year. To be exact it was in 1901 that Mr. Moore bought from A. Ray Cornford the business of the Victor laundry. It was at that time located in the Jacobs block on East Main street. In 1096, Mr. Moore erected a concrete, two-story building, a little west of the Victor Hotel, and the entire lower floor is occupied by his business.
Mr. Moore was born in Victor, upon the farm which nearly three
hundred years ago was the site of the Seneca village of Gannagaro, and
upon which his grandfather, Abijah Williams, settled in 1790. The
property is still retained by the family.
JOHN A. OSBURN
John A. Osburn succeeded John Concannon in the meat market in 1905.
The market was established in the early 80's by E. E. Lovejoy, in
its present location. There have been many changes in ownership.
Mr. Osburn is doing a flourishing business, supplying his
customers with not only meat, but fish, oysters and vegetables of all
kinds in their season. This establishment has up-to-date
equipment, with modern cooler of the
most improved design, electric fans, all machinery driven by electric
and business is done on an electric basis - which means prompt and
service. Mr. Osburn has in his brother, L.C. Osburn, a most
assistant, with Herbert Wilbur to convey the savory products to his
DR. CHARLES A. ROWLEY
Dr. Charles Andrew Rowley, son of Franklin Rowley, was born in Victor, January 13th, 1863. He attended the public schools here and the Genesee Wesleyan Seminary at Lima. He entered the Cleveland Medical College in Ohio, and was graduated March 10th, 1888. He returned to his home town for the practice of his profession, in which he has been very successful.
Dr. Rowley is a member of the New York State Medical Society, the
Western New York Medical Society, and the Ontario County Medical
Society. For several years he was health officer of Victor and he
is now a member of
the Board of Education.
LOUIS A. RUGG
Upon the stationery of Louis A. Rugg, one finds the legend, "Farmers' Supply Store," and a visit to his store on East Main street and nearby warehouse convinces the visitor that the store lives up to its name. Mr. Rugg, who succeeded H. E. Cornford in the business in 1908, carries a large line of carriages, farm wagons, cutters, agricultural implements of all kinds, fertilizers and horse furnishings. In his harness department will be found that excellent workman, Stephen B. Crocker, and new harnesses and repairing of old are given that painstaking attention which insures good service.
Mr. Rugg is one of the most enterprising of the young business men
community and has built up a fine trade by courtesy and square dealing.
CHARLES A. SALE
The century-old town of Victor has ever been progressive and in this automobile era is strictly up to the times with a fully equipped and efficiently managed garage, of which Charles A. Sale is the proprietor. Mr. Sale began business in a small building in the rear of the old blacksmith shop, just east of the Town Hall. The business soon outgrew these quarters and in 1912 he erected a fine two story building on the site formerly occupied by the blacksmith shop. Practically the entire lower floor of the building, which is 25x90 feet in size, is used by the garage, and there are at hand expert mechanics who have every needed tool for the curing of all the ills to which motor-driven vehicles are subject.
Mr. Sale sells automobile accessories of all kinds, including the
famous Goodyear tires, electric horns, hook-on boots and Columbia
ignitor batteries. The garage is the depot for Prest-O-Lite
DR. EVERETT T. SHARP
Dr. Everett T. Sharp, Victor's dentist, was born at Seneca Falls. After his graduation from Mynderse Academy, in his home town, he entered the University of Pennsylvania. He was graduated from the dental department in 1901, and for a short time practiced at Altoona, Pa. In the latter part of 1901, Dr. Sharp came to Victor, succeeding to the practice of Dr. Frank L. Booth. He has a large practice.
Dr. Sharp is a member of the Seventh District Dental Society and of
the New York Dental Association. He is also a member of the Board
of Education of Victor High School.
A. SIMONDS' SONS
"The Old Stone Store," of which A. Simonds' Sons, George Simonds and Charles Lewis Simonds, are the proprietors, has a history of nearly ninety years, extending back to 1834, when it was erected by Nathan Jenks. These were the days of Victor's infancy as a mercantile center. The Simonds name has been associated with the store since about 1835, when Albert Simonds was employed there as a clerk by its first proprietor. The co-partnership of Albert Simonds and Rufus Seymour purchased the store in 1841. Several men were associated with Mr. Simonds prior to 1845. In that year, Col. Melancton Lewis purchased a half interest in the business and the firm of Simonds & Lewis conducted the store until 1860, when James Walling became associated in the business with Mr. Simonds. About three years later Mr. Walling retired from the business that Mr. Simonds' sons, A. Burton and Henry, might enter into it. In 1875, Gilbert Turner became a member of the firm. In 1880 the firm was reorganized, Messrs. Albert Simonds, Henry Simonds and Turner retiring. The business was taken over by A. Burton and George Simonds. The former died in 1882, and the father returned to the old store as a partner of his son, George. In 1885, Albert Simonds again left the business, this time permanently, and the present firm of A. Simonds' Sons was organized.
This is a general store, carrying dry goods, hosiery, laces and novelties, also stationery, oil cloths and mattings, wall papers, crockery and glassware. In the grocery department, where a specialty is made of fine teas and coffees, may be found all the desirable goods in that line. The latest designs are carried in the wall paper department, and the products of the best manufacturers are to be found in the shoe department.
The record for probity and fair dealing established by the father
maintained by the sons and, with prompt service, has given them the
of their patrons.
HOMER E. SNYDER
The courteous and painstaking gentleman whom you will find in charge of the United States postoffice in Victor is Homer E. Snyder. Born in the town and endowed with social instincts, Mr. Snyder knows every man, woman and child in Victor and regards them all as his friends. For several years he was employed as a commercial traveler for the Empire Drill Company and while in that work so enlarged his circle of acquaintance that he is perhaps as well known throughout Western and Central New York as any man in the town. In 1905-06, he was manager of the agricultural implement store of Weaver, Palmer & Richmond, at Rochester, which position he resigned to become postmaster of Victor in 1906.
Under his administration the local postoffice has been made a model which other country villages might copy to their benefit. Efficiency coupled with good appearance have made the institution one of which the citizens of Victor are justly proud.
Mr. Snyder is one of the most enterprising citizens of Victor, was
one of the organizers of the Locke Insulator Mfg. Co., assisted in
promoting the Victor Preserving Co. and has been a "booster" for every
George Thornton was formerly in the hardware business in Randolph,
Cattaraugus county, this state. In the fall of 1903 he came to
Victor and leased the corner store of the Walling Block, putting in the
largest and most complete line of hardware ever carried in the town.
At the time Mr. Thornton came here there was another hardware
store in town, under the firm name
of Munson & Townsend, which discontinued business in March, 1904.
Mr. Thornton's business increased until he needed additional room
and he leased an adjoining store. Everything in the hardware line
can be procured at Thornton's or will be obtained on short notice.
Mr. Thornton is one of the hustlers of the town and you always
know when he around if your auricular organs are in fairly good
THE VICTOR HERALD
One of the busiest places in Victor is the printing establishment of Carl D. & Frances H. Smith, from which are published weekly The Victor Herald, our own home newspaper; the Weekly Review for our neighbor-town, East Bloomfield, and The Wyoming Reporter for the village of Wyoming, Wyoming county, New York. In addition a large volume of printing of every sort - from a placard to a booklet - is produced by the concern and thus it is that its typesetting machine and battery of presses are kept steadily at work - the hum of the electric motors being constant throughout the working day.
The Victor Herald was established in 1881. Many men guided its destinies between then and 1899, when it was purchased by Carl D. Smith, the senior member of the present publishing firm. The business was then located in the Union Hall block. Mr. Smith met with a severe reverse in October of that year when the plant was destroyed by fire. Not an issue of the paper was missed, however, and within two weeks a new plant had been assembled and installed on the second floor of the Walling block. This was the home of the business until 1906, when the plant was moved to the new concrete building erected by W.B. Moore. An equipment so complete is seldom found in a village the size of Victor or even in one much larger. The firm also maintains a job printing plant at Wyoming.
In 1901 Mr. Smith established The Weekly Review, which is a thriving newspaper with offices in the building of the Hamlin National Bank at Holcomb.
The co-partnership of Carl D. & Frances H. Smith is a matrimonial one and was formed in 1910. That it also is of a business nature is due to the love of Mrs. Smith for newspaper work, in which she had been engaged for several years previous to her marriage. For about four years she had published The Wyoming Reporter, which successful weekly is printed in the Victor office. Its office at Wyoming is managed by P.A. Kemp, a newspaper man of many years' experience.
Under the Smith Management The Victor Herald has played an
influential part in the upbuilding of Victor. It has supported
every movement for
public improvement and is always found fighting vigorously for what the
editors believe to be right and fair. It is distinctively a local
newspaper - the newspaper of Victor's home circles, where it finds a
warm welcome and generous support.
THE VICTOR HOTEL
Victor would not be Victor without the old hotel on the corner. Unnumbered thousands have in the ninety-five years of its existence found shelter beneath its hospitable, wide-spreading roof, and never were its guests given a cheerier welcome or better service than in this Centennial year, which finds James H. Barry the host of the historic Victor Hotel.
The old tavern was opened to the public on Christmas Day, 1819. Rufus Dryer was the first proprietor. The bricks used in its construction were fashioned by hand in a primitive brickyard located in the rear of the site of the Town Hall. Its architecture is of the Colonial type, and an interesting relic of the earlier days is the handwrought iron latch upon the front door of the hotel. The building has been kept in an excellent state of repair by a long line of proprietors and many improvements have been made, some of which would astonish the patrons of its youth, could they return to behold them. The candles with which the first guests lighted their way to bed have given place to electric lights, a steam-heating plant has superseded fireplaces and box stoves. So time makes changes and the Victor Hotel has seen many of them.
James H. Barry, the present proprietor, first became connected with
the hotel in 1896, and in 1898 took into partnership John L. Ryan.
1901 James Houston bought the interest of Mr. Ryan, and the firm of
& Barry conducted the hotel until 1905, when Mr. Houston retired
of ill health. Since then Mr. Barry has been sole proprietor, and
so capable has been his management that the Victor Hotel has a
reputation as one of the best country hotels in the state.
VICTOR MILLING COMPANY
In architectural design, arrangement and completeness of equipment, the mill of the Victor Milling Co., situated in Victor, near the tracks of the New York Central railroad, is unsurpassed in the milling industry. That equally high praise may be given to its products is a tribute to the wise management of its officials and the technical skill of its superintendent, James A. Waldorf. This industry is one of the most important in Victor, affording a ready market for the winter wheat grown on our fertile acres.
It was in September, 1911, that the Victor Milling Co., a new incorporation formed by Troy and Lockport capitalists, purchased the flouring mill which for more than a quarter of a century had been successfully operated by E.S. Berry. The new owners at once began extensive additions and improvements to the mill, equipping it with modern machinery and installing electric power. These changes occupied the fall and early winter and the modernized mill was but just ready for operation when it was entirely destroyed by the fire of unknown origin in February, 1912. Undaunted, the company set itself to the task of replacing the plant destroyed with one which should embody the last word in mill construction, being as nearly fire-proof as such a building could be made and equipped with the most perfect machinery obtainable. The resulting structure is a credit to the town and to the company. The wheels of the new mill were first set in operation in October, 1912. Its product has a splendid reputation both at home and abroad. To add to the fame of Victor as well as to its own laurels has been the laudable aim of the company, and its "King Victor" bread flour has no superior. Other brands manufactured are Victor Banner, Elect, Vim Bakers - all bread flours; Ontario Pride, a fine pastry flour, and Graham.
The officers of the company are: President, A. L. Draper of Troy;
vice-president, William H. Draper of Troy; secretary and treasurer, A.
T. Poole, formerly of Lockport, now of Canandaigua. The directors
are the officers of the company and J. J. Child and George Fairlee, of
Troy. Mr. Poole was for fifteen years in the offices of the large
Thompson mill at Lockport, and
Mr. Waldorf, the superintendent, was, before coming here,
of the Thompson mill and held, before that, a responsible position in
Washburn-Crosby mill in Buffalo.
VICTOR PRESERVING COMPANY
One of the largest industries in the town of Victor and one most important to the farmers and fruit growers of the vicinity is conducted by the Victor Preserving Co., which has an extensive and modern plant on School street, immediately south of the tracks of the Lehigh Valley railroad. This company was promoted, in 1908, by Edward J. Tobin, a practical canner who is the manager of the company. It is entirely financed by local capital.
Situated in the midst of the "Garden Spot of the Empire State," the company has for raw material the finest fruit grown in the world. Under the expert eye of Superintendent James Burns, who all his life has been engaged in the canning business, the peerless fruit is packed by scientific processes in "Sanitary" cans - sealed without solder or acid - and bearing an attractive label, is shipped from the factory to find a ready market. That the products of the Victor Preserving Co. are winning the favor of the most discriminating fruit lovers is shown by the fact that there is an ever increasing demand for its finest brands. Fruit known to the trade as "extra fancy" is packed under the Big Elm and Vicco labels; fancy fruit goes to the public bearing the names Victor Valley, Bridesmaid and Stadium, and the standard grade carries the Paramount and Mertensia labels. Peaches, pears, apples, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, cherries, rhubarb, tomatoes and string beans are packed.
The Victor Preserving Co. operates a splendidly equipped evaporator in connection with its Victor plant, and also has a canning factory at Ontario Center. The latter was erected in 1912 and is in charge of E. S. Berry, president of the company.
The present officers of the Victor Preserving Co. are as follows:
President, E. S. Berry; vice-president, C. L. Simonds; secretary and
treasurer, E. J. Tobin. The directors are E. S. Berry, C. L. Simonds,
Marvin A. Wilbur, W.
A. Higinbotham and E. J. Tobin.
WEBSTER & MOORE
Milo F. Webster and Charles A. Moore formed a partnership in 1911 for the handling of an insurance and real estate business, taking over the insurance agency established several years before by Mr. Webster. They carry in their agency a large number of co-operative and mutual companies as well as a number of non-board stock companies - representing as strong insurance as can be found in the state. It is their contention, which they well maintain, that they give their patrons as safe insurance as they can find in the world and save them money. One of the best assets of this agency is its reputation for prompt and liberal settlements.
Both Mr. Webster and Mr. Moore are native sons of Victor and they
enjoy a wide acquaintance and a high standing in the community.
Mr. Webster is the owner of the old Dryer farm, immediately north
of Main street, a
part of which he has plotted for village lots. Mr. Moore is
of the bank of W. A. Higinbotham & Co.
CHARLES E. WILCOX
It was about twenty years ago that the subject of this sketch established himself in business in this village, occupying the large warehouse in the rear of the residence of William H. Hill on West Main street. Windmills, the towers upon which they are erected, and pumps of various sorts comprised his stock in trade and in this line he established a trade of wide extent and a reputation for reliability to which he added with every transaction.
When agriculturalists perceived that spraying was the salvation of their crops, Mr. Wilcox found an opportunity and at once began the manufacture of spraying tanks. This feature of his business he found to be susceptible of great development and he took up the making of the acid and chemical tanks used in various processes of manufacture and of the huge water tanks which are the reservoirs for the sprinkling systems in large buildings. The erection of steel towers for the latter followed as a matter of course. A considerable force of employees is now kept busy in the manufacture of tanks of varied shapes and sizes.
Last year, Mr. Wilcox erected a new factory on the south side of
street and with a good mechanical street and with a good mechanical
driven by electric power, finds it difficult to keep up with his orders
come from all parts of Western New York.
CHARLES F. ZEITLER
Charles F. Zeitler, who had formerly been in business in Rush, N.Y., came to Victor in April, 1912, and purchased the general store of E. T. Malone & Co., situate in the Walling block. He carries an extensive line of groceries and dry goods, paints and wall paper and novelties - in fact most of the articles needed and used in the culinary and other departments of household.
Coming here as a stranger, he has secured confidence by uniform
courtesy and fair dealing, and is enjoying his full share of patronage
in the line of goods displayed in his well kept store.
August 15th - Historical Day
- grand float parade
- Dedication of the boulder monument on the DeNonville-Seneca Battleground
- Poem "Victor" read by Miss Sara M. Harrington
- song sung by Edward Ryan
- Historical papers by Prof. Arthur C. Parker of Albany, Prof. Frederick Houghton of Buffalo, William B. Osborne, George Simonds, Mrs. Milo F. Webster, Bolivar Ellis
- band concerts
August 16th - Firemen's Field Day
- pageant of decorated automobiles
- reunion of schools
- baseball game, sports and events, e.g. "homeliest man on grounds", "prettiest woman on grounds", slow motorcycle race, high kick for men, molasses dip, tug of war
- concert by Manchester Military Band
- grand ball
August 17th - Church Day
- children's choir concert
- fellowship at Town Hall; names mentioned - Fred B. Messing of Rochester, Rev. John Flierl, Miss May Marsh of Rochester, Rev. Robert Higinbotham, Dr. A.M. Mead, Rev. Nelson L. Lobdell, Dr. Frank Purdy of Hornell, Rev. Frank W. Hill
Reference: "The Victor Centennial, 1813 - 1913: Celebration of the One Hundredth Anniversary of the Incorporation of the Town of Victor, Ontario County, State of New York, August 15-16-17, 1913". Together with sketches of some of the more important industrial and commercial establishments of the town. Published by Authority of the General Committee of the Celebration.
Copyright © 2002-06, Ontario County NYGenWeb
and each contributor and author of materials herein. All rights