"Var" to "Vz" Obituaries

From Auburn Citizen Advertiser 3 December 1943

Mrs. Pasqualine T. Varno,
54, died suddenly of a heart attack at her home, 8 Jackson street, Geneva, Tuesday night. Survivors are three sons, Gabriel of Tonawanda, James and Anthony of Geneva; five daughters, Mrs. Paul Navarro of Auburn, Mrs. Fred Olmstead of New York City, Antoinette, Mary and Josephine Varno of Geneva; four grandchildren; two sisters, Mrs. Anthony Buggieri and Miss Virginia Bimbo; and a brother, John Bimbo of Geneva. Services will be at 9:30 a.m. Friday at the home and at 10 in St. Francis de Sales Church with burial in St. Patrick's Cemetery, Geneva.

From Geneva Gazette 2 February 1855

Died at his residence in Seneca, on the 23d ult., Mr. Thomas Vartie, aged 92 years. Mr. Vartie was a native of Northumberland county, England; emigrated to this country in 1801, and settled in this town and on his late homestead the same year. He, with many others of the early settlers, suffered many vicissitudes such as are inseparable from a pioneer life, but he lived to see the "wilderness blossom as the rose," and died ripe in years and honored for his uniform probity of character.

From Ontario County Times 18 August 1875

Victor, N. Y. -
The funeral of Lewis Vedder, whose death was mentioned last week, was held at the M. E. church on Tuesday. The remains were taken to Palmyra for interment. He was a member of the Masonic order, and the burial services were conducted under their supervision.

From Geneva Daily Times 27 December 1901

The funeral of Charles Veit took place from the family residence in Main street, at 2:30 o'clock this afternoon.  Cousins of the deceased acted as bearers.  Rev. Dr. N. B. Remick officiated.  Interment was in Glenwood cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 27 December 1897

Elizabeth Veit, aged 70 years, wife of Henry Veit of Exchange street, died at her home last Friday night at 6:20 o'clock. The funeral took place from her late residence at 2 o'clock yesterday afternoon. The deceased had come over from Germany to this country 50 years ago. Her husband and four children survive.

From Geneva Daily Times 19 June 1906

The funeral of Nicholas Veit, who died Sunday night from an overdose of laudanum, will take place tomorrow afternoon at 3:00 o'clock from his late home, 426 Exchange street. Rev. J. B. Hubbs will officiate.

From Geneva Daily Times 7 August 1905

Mrs. Stella Veit,
who died Friday night at her home in East Washington street, took place this morning at 10 o'clock from the house, Rev. N. B. Remick, D. D. pastor of North Presbyterian church, officiating. Burial was in Glenwood cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 21 June 1907

The funeral of Theodore J. Veite will be held tomorrow morning at 8:30 o'clock from his late residence, No. 389 Exchange street, and at 9 o'clock from St. Francis de Sales church. Burial will be in St. Patrick's Cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 24 May 1928

Phelps - Mrs. Nellie VerCruyse,
62 years old, wife of Peter VerCruyse, died Tuesday evening at her home two miles north of Phelps. Mrs. VerCruyse was stricken with heart disease early in the day which resulted in her death a few hours later. The deceased was a native of Holland, and had lived in Phelps for the past twenty years. Besides her husband, she leaves one son, Peter Denaice of Denver, Colo.; also a sister, Mrs. Benjamin Hamburg of Phelps and a brother and sister who reside in Holland. Funeral services will be held at 10 o'clock Friday morning at St. Francis church, the pastor, Rev. Edward B. Simpson, officiating. Interment will be in St. Francis cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 22 May 1908

Manchester, N. Y. -
The remains of John Verelle, who was killed while trying to catch an outgoing freight train near the outlet bridge in this village on Saturday, were buried in the Catholic Cemetery at Clifton Springs Wednesday. Before his death the man gave the address of his parents, as 186 Phoenix street, Providence, R. I., but the message to his parents was delayed, as he was understood to say his name was Perrell instead of Verelle. A message from the chief of police of that city stated that his father was too poor to send for the remains of his son, and requesting that they be buried here.

From Geneva Daily Times 26 January 1910

Naples, N. Y. - Mrs. Barbara Verhile
died at the home of her daughter Monday night at the age of 92 years and 5 months. She came from Germany about 60 years ago and had resided in Springwater 50 years. She was a member of St. Janairus Catholic church in Naples. She is survived by two sons, Andrew Verhile of Springwater and Joseph of Cohocton; and one daughter, Mrs. Kathrine Kolterback of Naples, N. Y.

From Geneva Daily Times 17 February 1908

Naples, N. Y. - John Verhile
died at his home in Garlinghouse Friday afternoon with pneumonia after a brief sickness. He was born in Springwater, but moved to Naples a few years ago. He was a farmer about fifty years old and leaves a wife and children.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 17 May 1905

Naples, N. Y. -
On Monday, May 9th, occurred the death of Mrs. Belinda Vermilye, of this village. Deceased was 86 years of age and is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Stephen Semans and Miss Katherine Vermilye, both of Naples.

From Geneva Daily Times 7 May 1904

Shortsville, N. Y. - Mrs. Clarissa E. Vermilyea,
seventy-five years old, of Seneca Castle, died at the residence of her niece, Mrs. Gerelle Ridley, Thursday afternoon at two o'clock. She was taken ill on Monday but no fear was felt in regard to her recovery until a few hours before the end came. She is survived by one brother, George Dougan of Canandaigua, and two nieces, Mrs. Gerelle Ridley and Miss Emma Dougan of Shortsville. The funeral will be held from her home in Seneca Castle.

From Ontario County Chronicle 8 May 1901

Clifton Springs, N. Y. - William Vermilyea died on Wednesday after a short illness. He was an old employee of the Sanitarium. Funeral services were held at the M. E. Church on Friday afternoon.

From Shortsville Enterprise 18 October 1934

Death claimed one of Manchester's best-known citizens, when Elmer E. VerPlanck passed away at his home in Sourth avenue on Monday evening, after only a short illness. Mr. VerPlanck was born at Oak Hill, this state, in 1862, and was in his 72nd year. As a youth he removed to Topeka, Kansas, but soon returned from the West and established a residence in Manchester, where he had lived continuously for 53 years. For a great many years he had worked in the corner store now occupied by Johnson & Bennett, from the days when it was owned by Wilson & Allen, up to the present. A faithful member of the Masonic order, he was a life member of Canandaigua lodge, No. 294. In 1885 he was married to Martha Herrington, who survives him now. Other survivors are one son, Edwin A. VerPlanck of Manchester, and a brother, Fred VerPlanck of Rochester. Funeral services were held from his late home in Manchester on Wednesday afternoon, with Rev. Leon L. Swarthout, pastor of the Manchester Baptist church, and the Rev. Albert W. Walker, pastor of the Manchester Methodist church, in charge. The remains were laid at rest in Brookside Cemetery, Shortsville.

From Geneva Gazette 7 May 1914

The death of  Mrs. Mary Grandin Ver Planck, widow of Samuel Hopkins Ver Planck, former president of the Geneva National Bank, occurred last Saturday evening, May 2, 1914, in the family home, 803 South Main street. Mrs. Ver Planck leaves one daughter, Miss Jane Leslie Ver Planck, of this city, and one son, William G. Ver Planck of New York city. Mrs. Ver Planck had not been in good health for several years, and until the past year had with her daughter spent the winters in a warmer climate than this. She was numbered among our older residents, for Mr. Ver Planck was connected with the bank for nearly sixty years.

From Geneva Courier 2 April 1879

Mr. Wm. Gordon Ver Planck,
an old and very well-known resident of Geneva, died very suddenly on Sunday last, at the residence of his son, Mr. S. H. VerPlanck, on Main street. Mr. Ver Planck was one of the best known citizens of Geneva, and the news of his death caused a profound sensation in town. It was universally felt that a good man had gone. Mr. Ver Planck was born October 12, 1801, and was therefore, at the time of his death, in his 78th year. He was graduated at Yale college, and for some yrs cultivated a farm in Saratoga county near Ballston. In 1849 he removed to Geneva. He was employed in the old bank of Geneva til 1853. He also planted one of the first nurseries in Geneva. For 18 years Mr. Ver Planck was warden of the Bloomingdale asylum, near New York, returning to Geneva in January 1877. Mr. Ver Planck's funeral took place this afternoon from his son's residence, Rev. W. Hogarth officiating.

From Geneva Daily Times 13 January 1913

Michael Versallo,
known to his friends as Mike Rose, a track laborer employed by the New York Central, was instantly killed during the snow storm of yesterday morning at a point just across the Seneca county lines. The remains were taken to Waterloo by direction of Coroner Fallett of Seneca Falls and an autopsy held at the Genung undertaking rooms. Last evening the body was removed to the undertaking rooms of Devaney and Fletcher of this city and prepared for burial and then taken to the home of Versallo at No. 28 North street, where the funeral will take place tomorrow morning. Service will be held at St. Francis de Sales church at 9 o'clock. Burial will be made in St. Patrick's Cemetery. The deceased is survived by his widow and two daughters, Mrs. Dominick Venate and Mrs. Carmello Counullio, and also a brother and sister, all of whom reside in this city. According to members of the family of the deceased, his death was due to negligence and friends of the family have retained ex-City Attorney W. S. O'Brien to investigate the case. An inquest will be held by the Seneca county officials.

It is stated that Versallo, who was employed on the section, was engaged during the snow storm yesterday morning in sweeping out switch points so that the switches would not become clogged by the snow gathering between the rails. He was at work at a point near the "G. Y." tower while the yard engine was engaged in switching cars in the same vicinity. A car was "kicked" by the engine onto the track upon which Versallo was working and this car struck him and after knocking him down, the wheels passed over his body. Both arms were cut off and the man's body was also cut. Death resulted almost instantly. Both the Ontario and Seneca county officials were immediately notified of the accident and the investigation into the cause of accident was started immediately.

From Neapolitan Record 29 November 1880

Rushville - Mrs. Adeline Verselius,
sister of Mrs. J. H. Beeman, died at her home in this village on Thursday, Jan. 22; aged 65 years. She had been an invalid for 20 years, and the for the last 8 years has been confined to her bed. The funeral took place from her late residence on Saturday. Revds. C. M. Bartholomew, J. H. Rodgers officiating.

From Shortsville Enterprise 25 October 1934
The death of Mrs. Lila Derr VerStreate of West Booth street, Shortsville, occurred on Sunday evening, October 21, at the Oakmount Sanitarium, near East Bloomfield. She had been in poor health for several years and had only returned to the hospital after a stay at her home. She was aged 38 years. Mrs. VerStreate was the daughter of Frank and Louise Wadsworth Derr and was married to John VerStreate in 1913. She is survived by her husband, two daughter, Mildred and Louise; and two sons, Martin and John VerStreate, all living at home. Funeral services were held Wednesday morning at 9 o'clock, from St. Dominic's Church, with the Rev. John E. Napier in charge. Burial was made in St. Rose cemetery in West Main street.

From Shortsville Enterprise 19 July 1934

The death of Peter Verstreate occurred at his home on the Shortsville-Clifton Springs road on Monday, at the age of 67 years. The survivors are his wife, one daughter, Mary; seven sons, John and Edward of Shortsville, Lewis, Frank, Charles, Lawrence and Harold of Rochester; also eight grandchildren. Funeral services were held from St. Felix's Catholic church at Clifton Spa on Wednesday morning, and interment was made in St. Agnes cemetery just west of that village.

From Neapolitan Record 26 August 1880

Died in Rushville, August 20th, 1880, George W. Vescelieas, aged 29 years. At the early age of 13 years, the deceased enlisted as a musician in the 117 Ill. Inf. Regiment where he served a little over a year when he was discharged on account of disability, and for several years after his discharge he followed the sea as a sailor in which capacity he visited a great number of foreign ports; his travels were so extensive that but very few if any men of his age has as extensive and correct a knowledge from personal observation of the manners, customs and usages of so many different nationalities as he had. He had been a great sufferer for some time from that terrible disease consumption, only the day but one before he died, he was around the streets. The funeral was held from the M. E. Church on Sunday morning and which was attended by a goodly number of his soldier comrades in a body.

From Geneva Daily Times 8 June 1928

Mrs. Anna Vickerman
died at her home, at 172 High Street, at 11 o'clock this morning after a long illness. Surviving are her husband, John C. Vickerman, one daughter, Mrs. Lillian F. Rolland, one brother, George W. Smith of Geneva, and one sister, Mrs. F. T.  Archer, of Geneva. The funeral services will be held on Monday at 2:30 o'clock. Interment will be made in Glenwood Cemetery. Rev. Samuel H. Edsall will officiate.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 4 July 1922

Geneva, July 3 - Mrs. Ann Vickery,
widow of Patrick Vickery, died Sunday at the family home, No. 14 North Exchange street, following a long illness. She is survived by six children, Joseph Long of Buffalo, Miss Mary Long of Syracuse, Mrs. Phillip (can't read) of Charlotte, Mrs. Dell Wertman, Miss Nellie Vickery and William Vickery of Geneva. The funeral will be held tomorrow morning at 8 o'clock from the house and 9 o'clock from St. Francis de Sales church. Interment will be in the St. Patrick's Cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 13 February 1896

The death of Patrick Vickery, of North street, occurred yesterday afternoon at the age of 65 years. He had been suffering for some time from heart disease. He leaves a wife and four children, son and three daughters. The family recently came from Lyons, where the remains will be taken for burial.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 23 January 1907

Manchester, N. Y. - 
Wednesday noon while employed in the grist mill in Manchester Center, Albert Vienna was caught on the shaft of the machinery and before he could be extricated, the shaft made several revolutions, and his clothing, having caught on the wheels, his body revolved with the wheels. He was in the basement of the mill and it was the noise made by his body striking against the floor that caused the men in the mill to investigate. His shoes and almost all of his clothing were torn from his body. The bones in both of his legs and one arm were broken. His head and other portions of his body were bruised and mangled. Dr. Conley of Clifton Springs and Dr. J. H. Pratt of this village were summoned. He was immediately taken to the Memorial Hospital in Canandaigua, where he died that night. He was born in the town of Manchester 38 years ago. He resided two miles east of this village and had the respect of a large circle of friends and relatives. He is survived by his wife, (formerly Miss Emma Wardell of Palmyra,) and one son, Claude, aged 12 years; by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Isaac Vienna; two brothers, Abraham Vienna of this town, and Isaac Vienna of Palmyra; and one sister, Mrs. Peter VanDerwall, all of Manchester. The funeral was held at his late home Saturday at 1:30 o'clock, Rev. Joseph Weston officiating; interment in Brookside.

From Geneva Daily Times 18 January 1907

Manchester, N. Y. -
A fatal accident happened at Manchester Center Wednesday afternoon to Albert Vienne. He was employed at what is known as the Lisk saw mill at Manchester Center where the machinery is being replaced. Vienna was engaged in fastening a block to the ceiling when he was caught in a revolving shaft and wound around until his head and body were horribly cut and one ankle crushed. Dr. John H. Pratt of this village and Dr. Conley of Clifton Springs were called and the injured man was taken to the Memorial Hospital at Canandaigua where the crushed limb was amputated. He died yesterday morning. He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Emma Vienna, and one son, Claude, of Manchester Center; a father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. Isaac Vienna, Sr.; one brother, Abram Vienna and one sister, Mrs. Peter E. Vanderwald of the town of Manchester; also a brother, Isaac, Jr., of Palmyra.

From Shortsville Enterprise 12 May 1927

The death of Isaac Vienne, a well-known resident of the town of Manchester, occurred at his home, about three miles northeast of Manchester, on Friday, following an illness that had confined him to his home for the past seven weeks. His age was 84 years. Mr. Vienne was a native of Holland, having been born on July 28, 1842. He came to this country and located at Palmyra in June, 1869. For the past fifty-four years he had successfully followed the pursuit of agriculture in this township. He chose as his wife, Miss Catherine Freyn, with whom he was united on July 23, 1863. Her demise occurred several years ago. The survivors are one daughter, Mrs. Peter Vanderwall, one son, Abram Vienne, both of Manchester, a niece, fifteen grandchildren and five great-grandchildren. Funeral services were held from his late home at 3 o'clock by Rev. Mr. Tallman of Palmyra. The remains were laid at rest in Brookside cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 21 February 1908

Naples, N. Y. -  John Vierhile,
aged 54, died of pneumonia on Friday. His home was at Garlinghouse in this town. He was in the prime of an active, prosperous, happy life. He was the second son of Joseph Vierhile, who came to this vicinity from Germany 55 years ago, with his wife and babies, and started a home in the woods with nothing but their hands and willpower. The father died five years ago, on a fine productive farm. Each of the three sons, after helping their father and mother to a large competence, bought farms, and all are wealthy. The surviving sons are Andrew, of Springwater, and Joseph of Atlanta. One daughter, Mrs. Kaltenbach, of this village, has made a home for the mother. Mr. Vierhile leaves a wife and three children. All of the family were devout Catholics, and the funeral was held in the Catholic church of this village, Father Erras officiating.

From Naples Record 14 January 1942

Mrs. Margaret Ritz Vierhile,
80, died on Saturday, January 10, 1942, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Fayette C. Newell, in Garlinghouse, town of Naples. She had been in ill health for some time. Prior to making her home with her daughter, Mrs. Vierhile, lived in Wayland, where she was a faithful member of St. Joseph's church and of the Rosary Society. She enjoyed a large circle of friends, and was well and favorably known there and in Naples. She was born in Perkinsville on June 16, 1861, She is survived by her daughter, Mrs. Newell; a son, John W. Vierhile of Naples; a step-daughter, Mrs. Ollie Stocking of Atlanta, N. Y.; a sister Miss Catherine Ritz of Rochester; a brother, Jacob Ritz, of Wayland. Members of the Ladies Sodality of St. Januarius Church, of Naples, and of the Rosary Society of Wayland, met at the home of Mr. Vierhile on Monday night for the devotion of the Rosary. Service were held on Tuesday morning at 8:30 o'clock from the house, and from St. Januarius church at 9:00 o'clock. Interment was made in Rose Ridge cemetery, Naples.

From Geneva Daily Times 3 June 1907

Canandaigua, N. Y. -
Coroner D. A. Eiseline, of Shortsville, was called to Victor yesterday afternoon to inquire into the case of an Italian named Carmen Vigelent, whose dead body was found in the Lovejoy woods, two miles southeast of Victor, by a posse of men who had been out looking for the man all day. Vigelent went hunting two days ago, and and as he had not returned his wife gave the alarm and a party of his fellow countrymen went out in search of him. Yesterday morning they found the body lying in the woods with a gunshot wound in the back of the head that had torn off a large part of the back part of the skull. His gun was missing and there was no money or valuables on him, although his wife thinks he had both when he left home. A cartridge shell lay near the body, and the authorities as well as the friends of the dead man suspect foul play. Coroner Eiseline came on here last evening and notified Sheriff George L. Van Voorhis and District Attorney M. D. Short, who will investigate the case. An inquest is being held at Victor today by D. A. Eiseline. Vigelent was an industrious man, an employee of the Locke Insulator Company at Victor, and leaves a wife and two children. It is not known if he went hunting with companions or alone.

From Ontario County Journal 12 January 1900

Phelps, N. Y. -
Last Saturday morning occurred the death of Alexander F. Vincent, aged 82 yrs. The deceased had been ill for two or three weeks and died at the home of his son, William Vincent. The deceased, who followed the occupation of a mason in his younger days, was one of the oldest residents of this place, having lived here from childhood. He was one of a large family, there being six boys and three girls. He is survived by two sons, William F. and J. Edgar Vincent; and one daughter, Mrs. J. M. Vandevyver of Geneva. The funeral services were held from W. F. Vincent's residence at 2:30 o'clock Monday afternoon, Rev. Mr. Beardslee officiating, and interment was made in the Phelps cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 14 January 1926

Phelps, N. Y. - Arthur S. Vincent,
64 years old, died at noon yesterday at his home in South Wayne street. He had been in failing health for several months, pneumonia developing a few days ago. Mr. Vincent was born in Phelps, December 20th, 1861, and had always lived here. Surviving are his wife; two daughters, the Misses Elizabeth and Helen; and one sister, Mrs. John Bliven, all of Phelps. Funeral services will be held at 2:30 o'clock Friday afternoon at the house and interment will be in Rest Haven Cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 22 September 1923

Phelps, N. Y. -  Charles S. Vincent,
63 years old, died Friday morning at his home in West Main street, after an illness of nearly a year. Mr. Vincent was born in Phelps March 19th, 1860, a son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Vincent, and had always lived in this community. He was a moulder by occupation and for several years was foreman in the moulding department for the Crown Manufacturing company. Mr. Vincent is survived by his wife and six children: Mrs. Orville Bryant (should be Bryan) of Geneva; Russell Vincent of New Brunswick, N. J.; Ray Vincent of Canandaigua, Arthur Vincent of Willard, Mrs. William Jacoby of Elmira and Miss Selma Vincent who lived at home; one brother, Arthur S. Vincent; and one sister, Mrs. John Bliven, both of Phelps. Funeral services will be held at the Vincent home at three o'clock Sunday afternoon and interment will be in Rest Haven cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 30 December 1907

Phelps, N. Y. -
The death of Mrs. Maria A. Vincent, widow of the late Charles B. Vincent, occurred at 11 o'clock Friday night at her home on West Main street. She had been ill about three months. Mrs. Vincent was born in the village of Phelps 73 years ago and lived here all her life with the exception of three years spent in Ohio. Her survivors are two sons, Arthur and Charles Vincent, and one daughter, Mrs. John Bliven, all of Phelps, also a twin sister, Mrs. William McMullen, who resides in St. Louis.

From Geneva Daily Times 21 March 1905

Joshon Vindicti, a resident of Little Italy, lies at the City Hospital with a number of ragged slashes in his abdomen, and may die. Vindicti, in his ante-mortem statement made to Coroner Weyburn this noon, through an interpreter, says that he was stabbed by Tony Lorreto last night about 10 o'clock, at his boarding house, No. 16 Sherrill street. The police find the stabbing took place at about 8:20 o'clock  At 9:15 o'clock police headquarters were telephoned to and Captain Beales and Officer Manley went to the scene. They found Vindicti in a dangerous condition. A thorough search of the neighborhood was made but no traces were found of the would-be murderer, and it is believed he has made good his escape. When the proprietor of the boarding house heard Vindicti's cries, he saw at a glance that the man's condition was critical and immediately telephoned for Dr. G. B. Young. When the physician arrived he had the man removed to the City Hospital. Today the doctor, thinking that the man was likely to die, called in Coroner Weyburn, who took the man's statement of the affair. The coroner at once reported to the police and this afternoon Chief Kane, armed with subpoenas made a thorough investigation. Although no immediate hopes are entertained of securing the arrest of the man's assailant, others implicated, or likely to be able to shed some light on the situation may be placed under arrest before night.

As nearly as can be gathered, the story of the stabbing is this:  Vindicti and Tony Lorreto, who are bed fellows, last night were filling up with macaroni and cheese, washed down with plenty of beer. They visited several saloons in the colony during the early evening. Both took on a goodly supply of beverage and when they started for their boarding place, No. 16 Sherrill street, they were arguing in loud voices. At 8 o'clock both retired and still the argument continued. Vindicti contended that Lorreto had made away with the most beer, and made Lorreto angry. Then Loretto produced a stiletto and proceeded to carve the stomach of his companion. Vindicti cried for help and his assailant jumped into his clothes and fled from the house, disappearing in the direction of the Vance Boiler Works, and has not been seen since. He is described as being a man about fifty years old, five feet eight inches in height. He wore a cheap gray colored suit, a derby hat, boots and no overcoat. Vindicti's statement as given to the coroner this noon follows.

Ante-mortem statement of Joseph Vindicti, on the 21st day of March, 1905, in Geneva, N. Y., in regard to the wounding of himself. Nicholas Coblio, interpreter:

I am thirty years of age and was born in Italy. Have been in this country five years, in Geneva three months. I swear that what I say is the truth. I was at a man's house by the name of Serefeus, when this stabbing happened. There was in the house at the time I was there Tonly Lotti, also Jose____, I don't know his last name. I saw the knife in Tony Lorreto's hand. The man Tony Loretto, who I saw have the knife is the man that stabbed me. Serefeus, the proprietor of the boarding house, helped stab me. The man who stabbed me, Tony Loretto, lives over Carmence Bruens, Torry Park. I was not doing anything that he should stab me for. He cut me in the stomach with a long stiletto. He cut a hold through my clothes and stomach. I fell down, this happened about 10 p.m., March 20, 1905. I have seen the landlord of the house since. That was at the time I was taken to the hospital. I have known the man who stabbed me about a week. Living or dying this statement is the truth.

Mr. Vindicti died as a result of these wounds on March 23, 1905.

From Ontario County Chronicle 15 May 1901

Manchester, N. Y. - Orin P. Vine, who had been a resident of this village for over twenty-three years, died of apoplexy at his home on Main street on Tuesday morning of last week, aged about fifty years. The funeral was held at the M. E. church on Thursday afternoon, Rev. G. A. Baldwin officiating, assisted by Rev. M. W. Covell. Remains were placed in Brookside cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 15 May 1909

The funeral of Isaac W. Vining, who died yesterday, will take place Monday morning at 9:45 o'clock from the house, No. 25 Hofmann avenue. His widow survives. He was a member of Farmer Lodge, F. & A. M. The remains will be taken to Interlaken for interment.

From Naples Record 18 May 1872

Mrs. Betsy Vinton
died in this village on Saturday evening at 11 o'clock. She was moved to Mr. S. S. Luther's about three weeks before, to make a visit, and there died. She was unconcious for some hours before her death but had daily prayed for patience to reduce all pain, and for the Lord to move her in his own good time. She had lived here nearly forty years and had ever borne the character of a true christian. Her remains were carried to her former residence on Sunday afternoon, at which place the services were held on Monday, May 13th, at 2 p.m. Rev. J. T. Brownell, W. B. H. Beach and L. Q. Galpin officiated, each making fitting remarks for the occasion. Her remains were carried to the lower Cemetery.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 30 December 1939

Geneva, N. Y. - Mrs. Leonora Visco,
58, 24 Wadsworth St., died Monday in Geneva General Hospital after a short illness. Surviving are her husband, Dominick Visco, Sr.; three daughters, Mrs. Frank DiTotio, Mrs. Adolph Raimondi, and Miss Alice Visco; three sons, Anthony, Dominick, Jr., and Leo Visco, Geneva; one sister, Mrs. John Bernardi, Elmira; also three grandsons and three granddaughters. Funeral services will be held at 8:30 a.m. tomorrow in the home, and at 9 o'clock in St. Francis de Sales Church.

From Ontario County Journal 3 March 1916

The remains of Mrs. Mary A. Visscher, aged 72 years, whose death occurred at Victor, on Monday, were interred in Woodlawn cemetery yesterday. She leaves her husband Stephen K. Visscher; one son, S. H. Visscher of Schenectady; two daughters, Mrs. William A. Gillette of Rochester and Mrs. John S. Lapp of Victor.

From Geneva Daily Times 10 February 1900

Mrs. Anna Vogt,
wife of Gustave J. Vogt, died at her home, two miles west of this city on the Nicholas farm, at 2 o'clock this morning, aged 36 years, of scarlet fever. She is survived by a husband and five children. The funeral was private and took place from the house at 3 o'clock this afternoon. Interment was in Number Nine cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 6 April 1894

Naples, N. Y. -
Before Jacob Vogt, who moved from Buffalo to Naples on Friday had fairly settled in his new home, his death occurred. He was sitting in his chair on Tuesday morning, and suddenly drooped and died. He was a corpulent man and had trouble with his heart, and had complained the day before of feeling oppressed. He was a man past 50, with a wife and one son. He had bought the fine R. T. Porter place, on Lyon street, and had left the city to enjoy country life. The funeral was held at the Catholic church yesterday.

From Ontario County Journal 2 February 1906

At the home of her daughter, Mrs. Burt Westley, on Sunday, occurred the death of Mrs. Clarinda Voorhees, aged 61 years. She is survived by her husband; one son, Frank of South Bristol; two daughters, Mrs. William Rowley and Mrs. Burt Westley; one brother, George Voorhees of Canandaigua; and one sister, Mrs. Mary Barnes of South Bristol.

From Geneva Daily Times 17 June 1932

Rushville, N. Y. -  David R. Voorhees,
the oldest resident of this village and who would have been 90 years old on August 7th, died at his home in this village this morning. He was born on the Leon Emory farm and spent his life in this vicinity. He was the fourth son of Jacob and Jane Ridout Voorhees and one of eight children. On December 12, 1856, he married Sophia MacDonald and purchased the Charles Eddy farm for $80 an acre where the young couple at once began farming. Later he sold the place and acquired another place but the value of farm lands soon depreciated and neither farm has ever again reached the high value of the former days.

They had two children, a daughter, Hettie, who married Herbert Petersen and died after fifteen years. Charles W., the son, moved on his father's place in 1900 and the parents moved into the village where Mrs. Voorhees died in 1906. The survivors consist of the son, Charles, living on the farm; and one brother, Peter H., also living in Rushville. There are nine grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren. Mr. Voorhees had been a conscientious member of the Methodist church and also served several terms as village president. The funeral will be held Sunday at 3 p.m. from the home in this village, pastor of the Methodist church officiating. Burial will be in the Rushville cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 19 May 1899

South Bristol, N. Y. - Mrs. Emily Voorhees,
widow of the late Gilbert Voorhees, died recently at the home of her son, Oscar, aged 80 years. Interment was in the Parmele cemetery.

From Ontario County Times 29 June 1887

Rushville, N. Y. -
Died, at his home in Rushville, June 21, Jacob Voorhees, aged 76 years, 2 months, 1 day. The funeral service was held from the M. E. church June 23. The deceased had lived among us since he was a boy. His life, until the last few years, had been a life of toil and frugality, and had been marked by strong and conscientious convictions, and a high order of integrity in all his dealings with his fellow men, pecuniary and social. He leaves surviving him to mourn a wife, six sons, and a daughter, Mrs. L. Fake, of Gorham. The family have the sympathy of the entire community.

From Geneva Daily Times 3 December 1908

Rushville, N. Y. - Mrs. Jane Voorhees,
the oldest resident of this village, died Monday. She was one of eleven children born to Abram and Esther Reddout. She was born July 28, 1812, in this vicinity where she had spent her entire life. When fifteen years of age she became a member of the Methodist church. August 13, 1833, she was married to Jacob Voorhees and began housekeeping two and a half miles southwest of this village on the farm known as the Voorhees homestead and now owned by one of her sons, Peter Voorhees. Eight children, seven sons and one daughter, came to brighten their home. Since the death of her husband, twenty-one years ago, she lived with her daughter, Mrs. Anna Fake. Mrs. Voorhees is survived by four sons, David, Elizer and Peter, of this village, and Abram of Galveston, Texas; and by her daughter, Mrs. Fake. She is also survived by thirteen grandchildren and thirteen great-grandchildren. The funeral took place yesterday afternoon from the house, Rev. Harvey King, pastor of the Methodist church, officiating.

From Ontario County Journal 11 March 1892

Rushville, N. Y. - Mr. John Voorhees,
whose serious condition was recently noticed in the Journal, died at noon on Monday, March 7. His illness began with the grippe, got some better, had a relapse and has been out of his mind for several weeks, at the last becoming very violent, requiring five men to restrain him. He was an excellent and highly respected citizen; a consistent member of the Methodist church. He leaves a wife, two daughters, and a young son; also his mother, a sister and five brothers survive him, who have the sympathy of the entire community. The funeral was held at the M. E. Church on Thursday; he was in his 52d year.

From Ontario County Journal 22 February 1901

Naples, N. Y. -  Mrs. Mary Johnson Voorhees
died on Sunday evening, aged 83 years. She was married first to the late William Johnson and had nearly all of her life lived here. Two daughters and one son survive her.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 21 February 1906

Rushville, N. Y. - 
Last Wednesday afternoon at one o'clock were held the funeral services of Mrs. Sophia Voorhees, wife of D. R. Voorhees, at her late home on Main street. Her pastor, Rev. A. W. Rice, assisted by Rev. E. A. Hazeltine, officiated. Mrs. Voorhees, while helping care for her son and his children who have been very sick with pneumonia, contracted the disease. Feb. 3 she was brought to her own home. She suffered much from the beginning of her sickness until her death, which occurred Monday morning, Feb. 12. She was the oldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Benjamin McDonald. She was born Oct. 24, 1847, and in 1866 married to David R. Voorhees. In 1876 she became a member of the Methodist church which will greatly miss her willing and faithful services. She is survived by her husband, two children, Mrs. G. Herbert Peterson of Auburn and Charles of this place; also by seven grandchildren and one sister, Mrs. William Blodgett of this place. The burial was in the Rushville Cemetery.

From Ontario County Times 12 March 1890

Rushville, N. Y. -  Mrs. Latia Vorce,
who has been sick for a long time, died at her home in this place Friday night of last week at 12 o'clock, aged 82 years. The funeral will be held at the M. E. church at 2 p.m. today.

From Geneva Gazette 9 January 1874

Mrs. Jane Vorhees,
mother of Mrs. Wm. Van Lew, died in this village on Friday last, at the advanced age of 95 years. She was in very deed "a mother in Israel."  She lived to see her descendants of five generations.  She was one of the earliest settlers of Ovid, Seneca county, having located there as early as 1795.  Her children and children's children intermarried with some of the most respected families of that county.  Her remains were conveyed to Ovid for interment in the family burial grounds.

From Ontario County Journal 21 January 1898

Phelps, N. Y. - Arnold Vosburg,
whose critical condition was reported in the The Journal last week, continued to fail quite fast, and died about 2 o'clock on Tuesday morning, aged 66 years. The funeral services were held from the residence at 2 o'clock yesterday afternoon, Rev. A. J. Waugh officiating, and interment was made in the Phelps cemetery. The wife of the deceased is a sister of John S. and W. W. Coe, of Canandaigua. Besides the wife, a son, Lee, and a daughter, Mrs. George Mott, survive.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 10 May 1905

Victor, N. Y. - Mrs. Mary Malvina Vosburg
died at her home on East Main street, last Thursday morning, May 4th, after a three weeks' illness. She was formerly Mary Benson, the daughter of Rev. Jonathan and Katherine Benson, and was born at Grove, Allegany county, on October 15, 1831. Her father was a circuit pastor of the Methodist church and her early life was spent in many towns throughout this section of the State. On June 6th, 1849, she was united in marriage to John Vosburg. One son was born, Egbert, who died in Michigan about four years ago. The husband went to the gold fields of California, and never returned, dying about four years after his marriage. Mrs. Vosburg had been a resident of this village for eighteen years, where she had made many true friends. She was kind and charitable and did much good. Always a faithful attendant at the Methodist church, taking much interest in all branches of the work, she will be greatly missed from the services. Two sisters survive, Mrs. Sarah Durand of Flint, Mich., and Mrs. Angeline Cronk of East Victor. The funeral was held on Saturday afternoon, at 3:30 o'clock at the house and 4 o'clock at the church. Rev. Lorren Stiles preached a very appropriate sermon. Music was rendered by a quartette composted of Mrs. Lorren Stiles, Mrs. Frank Carpenter, Ray Cornford and Elmer Cornford. The church was prettily decorated by loving friends. The church sent a beautiful floral wreath and many friends contributed flowers as a tribute of love. Interment was made in the village cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 11 February 1921

John W. Vreeland,
aged 35 years, of 121 Pulteney street, for 12 years bookkeeper at the Empire Gas & Electric Company's office, died this morning at 6 o'clock. He is survived by his wife, two daughters, Mary and Marion, of this city; his mother, Mrs. A. S. Vreeland of Seneca Falls; two sisters, Mrs. Eber Lambert of Fayette and Mrs. J. E. Finn of this city; seven brothers, Lee W., Byron and Homer Vreeland of Seneca Falls; Charles and Will Vreeland of Providence, R. I.; Peter of California and Jesse of this city. Mr. Vreeland was a member of the B. P. O. Elks, and of the Methodist church. The funeral will be held on Monday afternoon from the Methodist church, the Rev. Bruce E. Pierce officiating. Burial will be made at Maple Grove Cemetery at Waterloo.

From Phelps Citizen 11 November 1880

Mrs. Mary Vroman, wife of Albert Vroman and daughter of Volney Edgerton, died in Hopewell, November 3d.

From Geneva Advertiser 7 December 1886

Last Thursday, Mr. Abraham Vrooman of Orleans, uncle of Professor W. H. Vrooman of this village, the last survivor of a family of thirteen children, was found dead at his home. He had not been ailing more than usual, and none knew that he was seriously ill until the community was startled by news of his death. We are told that it was heart disease, a fatality that has taken three well-known citizens within two weeks, Messrs. Zobrist, Cobb and Vrooman.

From Ontario County Times 25 June 1884

Seneca Castle, N. Y. - 
We learn with regret that Mrs. Abram Vrooman died in Willard asylum a day or two since. Her body was brought to her home in Orleans, and the funeral was held yesterday morning. Thus has passed away a very excellent woman, a good neighbor, a kind and loving wife, and an indulgent and affectionate mother. She was, before her mind was dazed with a diseased brain, ever active and faithful in the performance of her Christian duties.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 25 July 1916

Clifton Springs, N. Y. - Mrs. Albert Vrooman
died at an early hour this morning at the family home south of this village following an illness extending over a period of several weeks. Mrs. Vrooman was born at Orleans, N. Y., and spent her early life there. After her marriage she moved immediately to the farm where her death occurred. She was a member of First Methodist church, this village, and of Clifton Springs Grange, being active in this work when her health would permit. She leaves her husband, a son, Frank A. Vrooman, and a grandson, Albert B. Vrooman, all of whom reside on the farm. The funeral will be held on Thursday at 2 o'clock from the home. Rev. H. B. Reddick, pastor of the Methodist church, will officiate. Burial will be in Orleans cemetery.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 18 July 1917

Clifton Springs, N. Y. -  Albert B. Vrooman,
82 years old, one of our oldest farmers, died at his home about three miles south of this village on Monday night. He was born in Michigan and had lived on the farm where he died for the past fifty years. He was a member of Clifton Springs Grange, and of the local M. E. Church. He leaves one son, Frank A. Vrooman; and one sister, Miss Clara Vrooman, of this village. The funeral will be held at the M. E. Church, on Thursday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock, Rev. Dr. E. . Albertson, assisted by Rev. S. H. Adams, officiating. Burial will be made in the Orleans cemetery.

From Ontario County Times 28 April 1875

From Geneva Gazette - Our community was startled by a sudden death occurring last Saturday morning, at the residence of Wm. H. Vrooman, Principal of our Public school. The victim was Bartholomew Vrooman, (uncle of the former) of Canandaigua, one of the oldest railroad men in Western New York. Deceased will be remembered as a long-time boarder at the Canandaigua Hotel, where he was recently quarantined among other permanent guests and the employes during the smallpox excitement. Last Saturday was his first day out or away from home in several months, when he took the early train down arriving here at 7:21, for a brief visit to his nephew before undertaking a contemplated trip to the West. On alighting from the cars, he walked the distance from the depot to his nephew's residence on Pulteney street. Mrs. V. only was at home. The revered uncle seemed to be in usual good health and spirits when exchanging greetings with his niece. Seating himself in a low rocker, he chatted away familiarly, when Mrs. V. (her face turned from him for a moment) was alarmed by a gasping, gurgling sound in his throat, and looking beheld him with his head thrown back, mouth partly open, eyes set, and seemingly in a swoon. Restoratives for faintness were quickly applied, but without avail. A moment more and all was over. His death was virtually instantaneous. No post mortem was held; but it is supposed that the unusual exercise of his morning walk was too great for an organism so far worn out by age. He was 75 years old and unmarried. He was buried on Wednesday following near a deceased brother in the rural cemetery near Seneca Castle.

From Clifton Springs Press 27 July 1916

At the farm house south of this village, at an early hour on Tuesday morning occurred the death of Helen M. Vrooman, following a sickness of about six weeks. Mrs. Vrooman was the daughter of Sherman and Maria Crittenden Crosby, and was born at Orleans on May 23, 1845. She spent her early life in that village, where she taught school, and was at one time postmistress. In 1882, in this village, she was united in marriage to Mr. Vrooman and they went immediately to the farm where they have since resided. Mrs. Vrooman was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church in this village, and was an earnest worker when her health would permit; she was also a member of the Clifton Springs grange. She is survived by her husband; one son, Frank A. Vrooman; and one grandson, Albert H. Vrooman, all of whom reside on the farm. The funeral services will be held at the home this afternoon at 2 o'clock, and will be conducted by Rev. H. R. Reddick. Interment will be made in the Orleans cemetery.

From Clifton Springs Press 17 May 1917

The death of Henry Stewart Vrooman occurred at his late home on Monday afternoon. The deceased was born in Michigan on May 27th, 1839. Funeral services will be held from his late residence on Thursday afternoon at 2 o'clock, with Rev. Albertson of the Clifton Springs M. E. church officiating. Interment will be made in Melvin Hill Cemetery. He is survived by one brother, Albert Vrooman, residing two miles south of this village, and one sister at home; and one daughter, Mrs. Paine of Seneca Castle.

Geneva Daily Times 13 November 1907

Mrs. Sarah Vrooman,
widow of the late William H. Vrooman, who for twenty years was superintendent of the public schools of the city, died this morning at 7:10 o'clock at her late home, No. 43 Pulteney street. The deceased was 84 years of age. While Mrs. Vrooman has been in feeble health for some time, her condition was not thought to be serious until about ten days ago, when she had a sudden turn for the worse. From that time she gradually failed until death came this morning. Old age and general breaking up of the system was the attributed cause. Mrs. Vrooman was born in Schenectady in 1828, being the daughter of the late Nellie and Harman W. Peters of that city. She was the oldest child of a family of nine children. All of her early life was spent in Schenectady, where she became a communicant in St. George's Protestant Episcopal church. She became acquainted with Mr. Vrooman while he was attending Union College, and shortly after he was graduated with the class of 1846, they were married and at once moved to Western New York. The trip was made by packet boat through the Erie Canal. They settled in Naples where Mr. Vrooman opened a private school. In the fifties they moved to this city, where in 1859 her husband became principal of the High School and superintendent of the public schools, a position which he held for 20 years. Here Mrs. Vrooman attended the First Presbyterian church where her husband was an active member. The deceased is survived only by one daughter, Mrs. T. B. Ottley of this city; one brother, F. Alonzo Peters of Schenectady; and two grandsons, W. Vrooman Ottley and Harman F. Ottley, both of Geneva. The funeral will take place at 10 o'clock Friday morning from the home of Mrs. Ottley, No. 35 Pulteney street. Rev. W. W. Weller, pastor of the First Presbyterian church, will officiate. Burial will be in Whitney Cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 4 May 1905

The funeral of William H. Vrooman, who died yesterday morning, will take place from his home, No. 43 Pulteney street, at 10 o'clock Saturday morning. Rev. W. W. Weller of First Presbyterian church will officiate. Burial will be in the Whitney cemetery west of the city.

Return to Ontario County Homepage

Copyright 2005-16, Ontario County NYGenWeb and each contributor and author of materials herein. All rights reserved.