"Ti" Obituaries

From Geneva Daily Times 13 April 1909

The funeral of Guillo Tiballi, the Italian who was shot Sunday night in the store of Raymond DelPapa, took place this afternoon at 3 o'clock from Devaney & Fletcher's undertaking rooms. Interment was in St. Patrick's Cemetery.

From Naples Record 10 November 1920

Canadice, N. Y. -
At his home in this place, on October 28, 1920, Albert H. Tibbals died after an illness of a little more than three weeks. In three months to a day, he would have celebrated his seventy-eighth birthday. He is survived by his wife; and one son, Walter H. Tibbals of Syracuse; four grandchildren, Mrs. Marie Fairchild, Miss Lucile Tibbals, Raines Tibbals and Theodore Tibbals, all of Syracuse; two sisters, Mrs. Addie Fenton of Mansfield, Pa., and Mrs. Stephen Cole of Richmond. The funeral was held from the church on Saturday, October 30, Rev. W. J. Brown of Avoca, a former pastor, officiating. Burial was made in the Canadice Valley Cemetery. Mr. Tibbals held a large place in this and the surrounding community, also in the church here. He was a soldier in the Civil War and belonged to the G. A. R. His grandsons served in the late war across the sea. Mr. Tibbals was also a member of the Masonic order. For about twenty-five he was a teacher in this and surrounding communities. He held the office of supervisor for two terms, and had been justice of the peace for many years, holding that office at the time of his death. He had been one of the officials of the church here for many years, and took a keen interest in all its affairs, inquiring in his last illness about the change of pastors.

From Ontario County Journal 14 October 1910

Honeoye, N. Y. - 
The people of this village were shocked on Monday to learn of the sudden death of Grant Tibbals. Mr. Tibbals, who for the past three years had been an inspector of state roads, was employed at Mt. Morris. During the heavy rains of last week he contracted a heavy cold but continued to work. On Friday he returned to his home here, but did not call a physician until Monday, when Dr. Standish found him to be suffering from acute pneumonia. Dr. F. A. Wicker of Livonia was then hastily summoned, but death came before his arrival. Grant Tibbals was born in the town of Canadice on Nov. 4, 43 years ago, the oldest son of Albert H. Tibbals and Lucy Slingerland. He was educated at the common schools and Honeoye High school. During the term of D. G. Lapham as surrogate, he served as clerk. He was a successful teacher, having taught in Reed Corners, Stanley, Springwater, Canadice and Richmond. On Nov. 4, 1891, he married Miss Emma Gilbert of Honeoye, who with three children, Marie, John and Theodore, survive. He is also survived by his father and by one brother, Walter H. Tibbals of Syracuse. The funeral was held on Wednesday afternoon, the Rev. a. W. Fenton of Mansfield, Pa., an uncle of the deceased, assisted by the Rev. W. T. Hawthorne, officiating.

From Ontario County Journal 12 October 1906

Mrs. Jane Tibbals,
who had suffered several years with a cancer, died on Saturday night. She was born in England 88 years ago, and came to this country when 10 years old. She was married to Peter Tibbals, of this town, and settled on the farm where Mr. Tibbals died in 1878. After the death of her husband, she continued to live with her only son, Albert H. Tibbals, who so tenderly guided her footsteps in her declining years. She was a consistent Christian. Two daughters, Mrs. Nellie Cole, of Richmond, and Mrs. Addie Fenton, of Port Byron; and one son, Albert, survive her. The funeral services were held from her late home on Tuesday, Rev. G. W. Richmire officiating. The interment was in the Tibbals family cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 14 March 1902

Canadice, N. Y. -  Mrs. Julia Tibbals,
who had been ill for several weeks, died Sunday morning. Mrs. Tibbals had undergone two operations for removal of cancer. A husband, two sons and one daughter survive. The funeral services were held at the house on Tuesday and the remains were taken to Evergreen cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 9 January 1903

Canadice, N. Y. -  Mrs. Lucy Tibbals,
whose death was announced in last week's Journal, was born in this town on Jan. 1, 1848, and had always resided here. In 1866 she was married to Albert E. Tibbals. The deceased had been a great sufferer from rheumatism and heart trouble for many months. About six weeks ago pulmonary trouble developed and on Dec. 30 her sufferings ended. Through all these years of affliction, she was patient, and when she faced the inevitable, was resigned and anxious to go. The church has lost a devoted Christian and the Ladies' Aid society, of which she was president, a valuable member. She leaves, besides her husband, two sons, Grant of Honeoye, and Walter of this place; four brothers, Rev. H. A. Slingerland of Hartzville, Abram Slingerland of Livonia, and Frank and Alfred Slingerland of this place. The funeral was held from the church on Friday, Rev. J. W. Barnett officiating. The members of the Ladies' Aid society and of her Sunday school class attended the funeral in a body.

From Ontario County Journal 2 August 1878

Canadice, N. Y. - Peter Tibbals
died at his residence in this town on Wednesday morning, July 17th. Mr. Tibbals was born in Canadice, April 22d, 1821, consequently his age was 57 years, 2 months and 25 days. In 1841 he was married to Miss Jane Brunett, who survives him. Since their marriage they have lived in Canadice, Geneseo and in Allegany county. He was a man who always advocated the principle of doing as he would be done by, believing that practice was worth more than profession. When a young man he joined the M. E. church, but later his religious views differed from the prominent church principles, consequently he had not of late associated himself particularly with the church of his early choice; but we know that he passed nearly ten weeks of sickness of a lingering and painful character, with apparent willingness, and at last met its culmination with entire reconciliation - saying repeatedly that he was ready at any time to bid adieu to earthly scenes, feeling conscious that he would be permitted to view the city of glory and endless bliss and enter in through the pearly gates to be forever with his God. His family feel that the sad messenger has taken from their circle a kind husband and father, and that the chair thus made vacant and the voice thus forever hushed, will be to them a loss which none can repay.  The funeral services were conducted by Rev. Hobbs of Springwater, who spoke consoling sentiments to the bereaved family, founded on words found in 2nd Timothy, 1st chapter and 10th verse. A large concourse of people followed the remains to its last resting place on the farm on which the deceased spent his boyhood days.

From Ontario County Times 26 August 1863

Died on the 17th inst., at his residence on the lake shore, about five miles from this village, Mr. Isaac M. Tichner, in the 76th year of his age. His illness was brief, but for the last few days very distressing. Having for many years lived a most exemplary christian life, his death was truly peaceful, as the christian only can die. He seemed to be just as well prepared to close up his earthly life and enter upon the scenes of the future state, as if he had been long anticipating the hour of his decease. The funeral services were held at the Methodist Church in this village, and were numerously attended by all classes of the community. He first united with the Methodist Episcopal Church in Newark, N. J., where he was very useful and very highly esteemed. On coming to this vicinity, about thirty years ago, he transferred his membership to the M. E. Church in this village, and remained a most reliable, useful and esteemed member until the day of his death. He was an industrious, liberal, kind-hearted, upright man, universally respected and loved by all who knew him. A large family, consisting of the widow, one son and several daughters, with other relatives, are left to mourn his sudden departure.

From Geneva Gazette 29 September 1882

Anna M. Ticknor,
mother of John H. Ticknor, proprietor of the Phelps hotel, died at that place last Wednesday, aged 91 years and 5 mos. She was a native of Connecticut, but has lived in this State since early childhood - for the past fifteen years in Phelps.

From Ontario County Journal 13 September 1895

Clifton Springs, N. Y. -
The death of James Tierney occurred at an early hour on Thursday morning. He had been sick but a short time. The funeral services were held from the M. E. church on Sunday afternoon, Rev. E. C. Long of the Baptist church  of Manchester officiating. He was buried under the order of the K. O. T. M., of which body he was a member. Sir Knights of Palmyra and Port Gibson were present.

From Victor Herald 22 July 1904

East Bloomfield, N. Y. -
On Sunday afternoon occurred the death of Anson Tiffany at the home of his brother, Edson Tiffany, near Bristol Center. His age was 56 years. The funeral was held Tuesday morning at 10 o'clock. Interment at Bristol Center cemetery.

From Ontario County Chronicle 1 May 1901

Bristol, N. Y. - Mrs. Betsy Tiffany died at the home of her son-in-law last week at the age of 82 years. Interment was at Bristol Centre.

From Ontario Repository & Messenger 7 December 1893

Bristol Centre - Byron Tiffany
died this (Tuesday) morning, aged 69 years. The time for the funeral is undecided at this writing. His widow is confined to her bed with sickness.

From Victor Herald 23 September 1904

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - Mrs. Eliza Ann Tiffany,
widow of Giles Tiffany, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Ulysses Wheeler, south of this village, Monday evening. Mrs. Tiffany was one of the oldest women residing in the town, having reached the age of eighty-five years. She had been in poor health for many years. The funeral will be held from the Wheeler home on Wednesday afternoon at two o'clock, Rev. W. D. Robinson officiating. Interment will be had in the cemetery at Baptist Hill. Mrs. Tiffany is survived by one daughter, Mrs. Wheeler, and one grandson, Addison H. Wheeler, of this place.

From Ontario County Journal 17 August 1894

Monday afternoon Erastus Tiffany, aged 71 years, of Manchester, was killed on the Lehigh Valley Railroad at that place. It was the same old story of stepping from one track on to another. Mr. Tiffany was an uncle of W. W. Case, the jeweler, in this village.

From Shortsville Enterprise 23 February 1912

The death of Francis J. Tiffany occurred at his home, two miles south of this village, on Friday morning last at 2:40 o'clock. His age was 89 years. Mr. Tiffany was born in the town of Canandaigua on Apr 30, 1823, being one of four children of the late Edmund Tiffany. He was educated at the Canandaigua Academy. His wife was formerly Miss Martha Faurot, taking her as his life partner during the year of 1848. Her death occurred on Nov. 5, 1909. He had been a resident on the farm where he died for 30 years. By faith he was a Presbyterian and at the time of his death a member of the Canandaigua Presbyterian church. He was a lifelong Republican and for 15 years  served as a member of the election board of the town of Canandaigua. He is survived by one grandson, Harry Darling, of Hopewell, and four great-grandchildren. The funeral services were held from the home on Sunday afternoon at three o'clock, conducted by Rev. D. H. MacKenzie, of the local Presbyterian church. The burial was made in Brookside Cemetery in this village.

From Ontario County Times 25 February 1885

Allen's Hill, N. Y. -  Mr. George Tiffany
died at his home in the town of Bloomfield on Monday afternoon. Mr. Tiffany had been out of health for some time and had entertained hopes of recovering, but gradually wasted away. His disease was thought to be consumption. He has been an active member in the M. E. church in this place for several years, and has filled important offices in the church in which he has faithfully discharged his duties. He leaves a wife and four children and a mother and two sisters to mourn his loss. He had many warm friends and will be greatly missed in the community.

From Shortsville Enterprise 25 April 1913

George Tiffany,
a former resident of Shortsville, died at his home in Phelps Sunday morning after an illness of two weeks from pneumonia. He was born in this village about 39 years ago. The survivors are his wife and two children, Merton and Mildred, his parents, Mr. and Mrs. George Tiffany, all of Phelps, and a brother, Edward Tiffany of Albion. The funeral services were held on Tuesday afternoon at one o'clock and the burial was made in Brookside Cemetery in this village.

From Ontario County Journal 4 December 1885

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - Mr. Giles Tiffany
died last Saturday, of apoplexy, aged 71 years. His remains were take to Baptist Hill for interment on Monday.

From Geneva Gazette 9 August 1889

Isaiah Tiffany,
one of the oldest residents of Clifton Springs, died at his home last Friday morning of old age.  Mr. Tiffany was in his 89th year, and had resided in Clifton for many years and was highly respected by all.  He was a life long Democrat, and for years took an active part in politics.  He was Post Master at Utica under President Pierce.  His remains were conveyed to Utica for interment.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 3 October 1906

Cheshire, N. Y. -
On Thursday occurred the death of  Jerome Tiffany at his home near Academy. The funeral was Saturday at two o'clock. Deceased was forty-two years old and leaves, besides his wife, five children, Mrs. Clarence Randall, Charlie, Olah, Clifford and Mary.

From Geneva Courier 6 March 1878

Clifton Springs - John L. Tiffany
, of Clifton, died on Saturday, the 2nd instant, aged 85, esteemed by all who knew him.  He was a man of means and gave liberally to charitable objects.  He was a good friend to the poor.  His remains were taken to Utica, where his wife is buried.  The funeral services conducted by the Rev. W. M. Edson, were held at the house of his brother, Isaac Tiffany, on the 4th inst.

From Ontario County Journal 27 November 1885

As the steamer was on her regular trip up the lake at about five o'clock yesterday (Thursday) afternoon, the crew observed the figure of a man clinging to an upturned boat near the water works crib. When the rescuing party arrived at the spot they found what appeared to be the lifeless body of Frank Dexter, a young man in the employ of the N. C. Railway, working in the freight house in this village. After considerable effort he was resuscitated, and gave in substance the following account of the mishap: He and John W. Tiffany were on the lake during the afternoon duck hunting, and in some manner the boat capsized, and its occupants were left struggling in the chilly water. They both succeeded in grasping the boat, and Tiffany said: "Frank, we will die here together." They soon became benumbed by the cold, and the last thing Dexter remembers before losing consciousness was seeing Tiffany let go of the boat and strike out for the shore. It was apparent that he must have sunk long before reaching land, and search was made for the body, and it was recovered during the night from the bottom of the lake near the scene of the accident. Tiffany was a young man living with his parents on a farm just north of the village. He was married last August to Mrs. Johnson, a widow, whose first husband was killed by the cars near the brewery a few years since. An examination of Dexter's watch showed that it had stopped at 4:11 p.m.

From Ontario County Journal 19 February 1904

East Bloomfield, N. Y. -  Joseph B. Tiffany
died on Sunday morning at his home in the northern part of this town. Paralysis, which came upon Mr. Tiffany two years ago, left him helpless. He was born in Oneida county and went to Springwater in early life. There, on Feb. 28, 1864, he married Miss Mary Horton. Since 1873, East Bloomfield has been the family home. Besides his wife, he is survived by seven children: Mrs. John A. Leete and Horton Tiffany of this place; Mrs. Elisha Norton of Gasport; Mrs. Milton Culver of Rochester; Mrs. Myron Boughton and Mrs. Charles Wilcox of Victor; and Mrs. Fred Miller of Caledonia; and three sisters. Mr. Tiffany was esteemed for many good qualities, and during his 30 years residence in this town, he was known as a good citizen and a kind neighbor. The funeral was held from the family home on Wednesday afternoon at 1:30 o'clock, Rev. E. G. W. Hall officiating. The interment was in the village cemetery.

From Ontario County Times 9 December 1868

Mr. Lamont Tiffany
of Phelps died at his residence in that place on the 1st instant from the effects of a paralytic attack. He was sixty years old.

From Ontario County Times 4 May 1887

West Bloomfield, N. Y. -
The past week has been marked by the death of two aged persons of our community. The first death was that of Mrs. Lavinia Tiffany, who died last Friday at the residence of W. P. Mann. Mrs. Tiffany has been gradually failing all winter and her death was like her life, peaceful and quiet. Anticipating her early release from her couch of pain, she was thoughtful as ever of the comfort of the friends she was to leave, and thus her earnest desire was that she might live until the spring came, and they be saved the discomfort of a journey in the cold. Her wish was granted, and today her body was carried to be laid by the side of her husband, who has been dead for years. She was from childhood a member of the Presbyterian church, and a faithful follower of the Savior, in whom she trusted. Her age was 90 years and 7 months.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 7 June 1905

Bristol Center, N. Y. - Mrs. Margaret Ketchum Tiffany
died here on the 17th of May. She was born and always lived in Bristol. She is survived by one daughter, Achsah Groome of Canandaigua; two sons, Robert and William Tiffany of Bristol; three brothers, John Ketchum of Chester, Jesse and Jeremiah Ketchum of Bristol; two sisters, Mrs. Watson Sawyer of Canandaigua, Mrs. Ira Sanford of Bristol.

From Ontario County Journal 12 November 1909

The death of Mrs. Martha Tiffany, wife of Francis J. Tiffany, one of the oldest residents of the town of Hopewell, occurred at her home two miles south of Shortsville, on Friday, aged 85 years.  She was born in the town of Hopewell, where her whole life was spent. Her maiden name was Martha Faurot and she was a sister of the late J. P. Faurot, for many years a well-known lawyer of this village. She was united in marriage with Francis J. Tiffany in 1848. She united with the Presbyterian church of Canandaigua many years ago, and before her age interfered she took a great interest in church work. She is survived by her husband; one grandson, Harry Darling, of Hopewell, and three nephews and a niece.

From Geneva Daily Times 6 November 1909

Shortsville, N. Y. - Mrs. Martha Faurote Tiffany,
wife of Frances Tiffany died at their home a mile and half southeast of this village at 2 a.m. yesterday of consumption, 87 years of age. Mrs. Tiffany is the last surviving member of a large family. Mr. and Mrs. Tiffany had but one child, a daughter, Mary, who married Henry Darling. She died young leaving two children, a son and a daughter. The latter died at seven years of age but the son, Harry Tiffany Darling, has always made his home with his grandparents. The funeral services will be held Sunday morning at the family residence. The interment will be in Brookside Cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 16 March 1916

Bristol Valley, N. Y. - On Sunday morning occurred the death of Maud Carter Tiffany, wife of Burton Tiffany, at the family home in Bristol Valley. Mrs. Tiffany had been in poor health for some time, but had only been obliged to give up her household tasks within a few weeks. She was born in the state of California on Jan. 8, 1868, the daughter of Lyman and Anna Baker Carter. With her parents she moved to the town of West Bloomfield when two years of age, from which place she was married to Burton Tiffany on Feb. 10, 1894. Her death will be deeply felt by those who knew her, as she was an active worker in the church and various societies. The deepest sympathy is extended by the entire community to the husband and one son, Gerald; also a half-brother, Charles Shaw of Rochester, who survive her. Funeral services were held from the late home on Tuesday, with burial in Evergreen cemetery.

From Naples Record 29 April 1914

The funeral of Oliver P. Tiffany, whose death occurred on Saturday morning at one o'clock, April 18, at his home in the eastern part of town, at the age of 88 years, was held from the house on Sunday afternoon at one o'clock. Burial was made in the Bristol Center cemetery. He had been in poor health for some time, death resulting from valvular disease of the heart. Mr. Tiffany was born on October 27, 1825, a son of Oliver and Nancy Reed Tiffany. He married Sarah Ingraham, of this town, and she died September 3, 1904. Two children were born to them, Anson, who died July 7, 1904, and Edson, with whom he resided. Two grandchildren, Mrs. Jacob Vogt and Mrs. Clifford Mason, both of Canandaigua, also survive. Rev. W. H. Edmonds, pastor of the Methodist church, officiated at the funeral.

From Ontario County Journal 12 January 1912

The death of Wilbur Tiffany occurred at Memorial Hospital yesterday morning, after an illness of nearly three months of typhoid fever. Mr. Tiffany was born in the town of West Bloomfield 44 years ago. Besides his wife, who was Miss Ina Briggs, of Bristol, there survive four daughters, Misses Mildred, Hazel, Marian and Lucille; two sons, Roland and Norman, all of Canandaigua; two brothers, Arthur of East Bloomfield and Levi, of Bristol. His mother, Mrs. Elihu Briggs, of East Bloomfield, also survives.

From Geneva Gazette 15 August 1873

We have to announce the death of Charles H. Tileston. Those only who have known him for the past twenty years would hardly conceive that he ever had been a lithe, active healthy man, yet old acquaintances well remember him as thus possessed of good physical endowments. He, however, during the later years of his life has been a great sufferer from chronic rheumatism, rendering him virtually helpless. Yet he bore his long suffering uncomplainingly and even maintained throughout a cheerful disposition. Quite recently his disease took the form of dropsy and terminated fatally after a few days of confinement. He leaves a wife and five children, all girls of adult age, three of them married. His sufferings were so great, helplessness so complete, that death must have been welcomed as a relief.

From Geneva Daily Times 14 November 1934

Mrs. Christina M. Tillema,
aged 76, died at the Dixon Sanitarium last night after a long illness. She was the widow of the late John G. Tillema, proprietor of the Star Steam Laundry here for a number of years. She leaves one son, Myron Tillema; two brothers, William and Anthony Heystek, both of Chicago; four sisters, Mrs. Mary Fallow, Mrs. Anna W(can't read), and Miss Lena Hastings of Chicago, and Mrs. (can't read). The funeral will be held at the house of her son Friday afternoon at 3:30 o'clock with the Rev. Alexander Thompson of the North Presbyterian church officiating. Burial will be in Glenwood Cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 24 April 1917

Canandaigua, N. Y. - Mrs. Emmalena Brown Tillotson,
aged 90 years, who died here Sunday, left instructions with her executor that her body be kept until decomposition sets in so as to make sure she would not be buried alive. In accord with her request, her body will be placed in the vault at Woodlawn Cemetery, and the interment will be made in West Avenue Cemetery Monday, April 30. Mrs. Tillotson leaves considerable property.

From Geneva Gazette 16 March 1894

The widow of the late Levi Tillotson of Canandaigua committed suicide last Friday night by hanging herself.  Cause, insanity. Her husband left her an ample fortune, estimated at from $75,000 to $100,000.  Her age was about 69 years.

A further article in same newspaper:

The Canandaigua Suicide -
We find in the Times the following relating to Mrs. Tillotson's suicide.

After stating that Sidney S. Mallory of Geneva is a brother of the deceased that paper says:

Finally, after unsuccessfully endeavoring to induce her (his sister) to deed him certain portions of the property or place it in the hands of a trustee, Mr. Mallory instituted proceedings, seeking to declare his sister a lunatic and incapable of managing her own affairs.  The papers in this proceeding were served upon her Thursday and the evidence elicited at the Coroner's inquest shows that this was probably the occasion of her rash determination to end her life.

The notice with which she was served, informing her in legal phraseology of the impending examination as to her mental condition was found the following day in her room.  About the word "lunatic", wherever it appeared, she had marked brackets, and on the back of the document were written the following messages:
Dear Brother:  I love you just as much to-day as I ever did.  Good bye.  Do not blame yourself; you did what you thought was your duty.     Your ever loving Sister,  J. Adelaide Tillotson

T. J. H. Metcalf:
I rented store No. 3 in Tillotson block to Mr. Moran and was on my way to draw the lease, but your very kind letter has turned my course.  Please excuse me.     Yours very kindly,  J. A. Tillotson

I cannot attend the lawsuit.  I go to a just God.  He knows every motive that has prompted every act, and will do just right with poor me, with no eye to pity me but His.  Oh, it is hard, but it is all for the best or it would not be permitted.

Dear Brother:  I am so much afraid some one will blame you, I write again to say you are in no way to blame.  I feel nothing but the kindest love and pity for you.  No, a thousand times no, I do not feel unkindly toward you nor any one else.  Do not have me put into the vault, but let me buried at once.  The ground is not frozen much.  In my satchel --
Here the writing abruptly ended.

Immediately after the funeral service, which was held on Monday, while the heirs were all assembled at the house, the Hon. J. H. Metcalf announced in behalf of his client, Mr. Sidney Mallory, that he had instructed an officer to then and there serve notices in a partition suit.  This is likely to lead to considerable litigation.

From Ontario County Journal 6 September 1889

Cheshire, N. Y. - Lorenzo H. Tillotson
died Tuesday morning at 2 o'clock. He has been steadily declining for two years, and confined to the house most of the time for over a year. He was a man of sterling integrity, and by industry and economy had secured a competency. Funeral services were held from his late residence Thursday at 2 o'clock p.m.

From Geneva Daily Times 19 December 1907

Clifton Springs, N. Y. -
This forenoon at the residence on Hibbard avenue in this village were held the funeral services of the late Oscar F. Tillotson. The interment will be made in the cemetery in Canandaigua. Mr. Tillotson was born in Canandaigua 77 years ago and was the youngest son of Mr. and Mrs. Morehouse Tillotson. He came to this village to live about fifteen years ago. Mr. Tillotson has been a member of the Methodist church at Canandaigua for a long term of years. He is survived by his wife and two daughters, Mrs. George MacGreevey of Elmira, and Miss Gertrude Tillotson of Clifton Springs.

From Ontario County Chronicle 11 June 1902

Samuel Tillotson,
of this village, died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Addison Kingsbury, in Jersey City, June 4, aged 74 years. Death was due to a general breaking down of his health. His wife died three years ago. His is survived by his daughter, Mrs. Kingsbury of Jersey City; two brothers, Johnson Tillotson of Cheshire, and Oscar Tillotson of Clifton Springs; and two sisters, Mrs. Sawyer and Miss Mary Tillotson, who reside on the homestead farm in Cheshire. The remains were brought to Canandaigua, and the funeral was held from the home of Mrs. Theodore Perkins on Saturday afternoon.

From Ontario County Journal 12 May 1899

Mrs. Susan C. Tillotson, wife of Samuel D. Tillotson, died at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. Addison Kingsbury, Jersey City, on Friday morning, aged 67 years. Death came after an illness of but eight hours, and was caused by apoplexy. On Thursday Mrs. Tillotson had visited a friend, and returning home late in the afternoon, seemed to be in her usual health, but was stricken about 7 o'clock in the evening and lingered until 3 o'clock the next morning. The deceased was born in Clyde. At the age of five years, she moved with her parents to this village, where she resided until 25 years ago, her home since then being in Jersey City. For the past year Mr. and Mrs. Tillotson have spent most of their time in this village with Mrs. Theodore Perkins, Mrs. Tillotson being a sister of the late Theodore Perkins. They had been in Jersey City about four weeks, having gone there to break up their old home, with a view of making this village their permanent residence. Mrs. Tillotson is survived by her husband and one daughter, Mrs. Addison Kingsbury.

From Geneva Gazette 4 May 1900

Mrs. Eliza Newbury Tills
died at her residence, west end of Washington street, last Sunday morning, aged 79 years.  She was the widow of William Tills, a well-remembered farmer and truck gardener, who emigrated from England and settled in Geneva some 50 years ago.  Surviving members of the family are Edward R. and William R. Tills, and Mrs. George Forden, all residents of this city.  The funeral was held Wednesday last, Rev. J. B. Hubbs, rector of St. Peter's Church officiating. Interment at Glenwood.

From Geneva Daily Times 15 February 1915

Mrs. Emily L. Tills,
aged 32 years, died yesterday noon at her home, 303 William street. She is survived by her husband, William G. Tills; one son, Howard Louis Tills; her father, Albert Millerd; five brothers, Thomas, Albert Jr., Frederick, Frank and George Millerd; two sisters, Mrs. Charles Klopfer and Miss Mary A. Millerd, all of Geneva. Funeral services will be held from the house at 3:45 o'clock Wednesday afternoon and at Trinity church at 4:30 o'clock. Dr. C. M. Sills, the rector, will officiate. Interment will be made in Glenwood Cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 8 March 1915

The death of Mrs. Sarah Tills, wife of William N. Tills, occurred Saturday evening at her home on Washington street, corner of Pre-Emption Road. She is survived by her husband; one son, Edward Francis Tills; one daughter, Mrs. Clarence Oughterson, both of Geneva; two brothers, Nelson Wilson, of Geneva, and Edward F. Wilson of New York. Funeral services will be held Wednesday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock from the house, Dr. C. M. Sills of Trinity church officiating. Interment will be made in Glenwood Cemetery.

From Geneva Gazette 24 May 1898

We are indebted to Mr. William Fordon, for a few points in the life of William Tills, who died on his place west of the city on May 11th. He was born at Suffolk, England, Sept. 26, 1820, and came to this country about the year 1834, in company with Henry Burgess and some others. Arriving here he went direct to the home of the older George Fordon, who our readers will remember as one of the most substantial farmers of his day. Entering his employ, he remained there for many years until he was married in 1846, when he rented a place, worked it, saved his earnings until he was able to buy a farm of his own. That farm is now the home of his son, Edward Tills, 90 acres of good land. He afterwards bought 30 acres of the Lucius Sheldon place and 35 acres of the Nicholas farm. While employed by Mr. Fordon, he always enjoyed that old gentleman's unbounded confidence, trusting him with anything and everything, and it was never betrayed. Mr. Tills went to England twice to visit his parents. The first time was in 1853. On the return voyage, he was shipwrecked off the coast of Ireland, and lost all he had on board except the clothes on his back. Both he and his wife went across in 1870, and his parents, Philip and Lucy Tills, died the following year, in 1871. His parents were strict members of the English (Episcopal) Church, his father being clerk of the parish, and reading the responses, rather a different form of worship than that we have here. Both times that he went over he carried along substantial remembrances and drafts of money always accompanied his letters to the old folks.

Fourteen years ago, on the same day of the months which records his death, he had a runaway accident, resulting in severe injuries, including the breaking of both legs. Mr. Tills is survived by his widow and three children, Edward R. and William N. Tills, and Mrs. G. Fred Fordon, all of Geneva, and the mantel of the honest old man has fallen upon three worthy pairs of shoulders.

From Ontario County Journal 13 May 1910

Bristol, N. Y. -  George Tilton,
a lifelong resident of this town, died at his home on Saturday night, at the age of 81 years. Mr. Tilton was the son of Isaac Tilton and married Juliet Simmons of this town. Three sons were born to them, who with their mother survive. They are Edson and Isaac of Waverly and Alley of Bristol. Two sisters, Mrs. Albert Mather and Mrs. Squier of Canandaigua also survive. Mr. Tilton has been an invalid for several years. The funeral was held from the home on Tuesday, Rev. G. A. Babbitt officiating. Interment was in Evergreen cemetery.

From Geneva Gazette 15 August 1884

Fatal Accident in Canandaigua - Mr. Isaac Tilton, an aged resident of this village, met with a fatal accident in the new Opera House Tuesday afternoon last.  He had been in Mr. Kingsbury's store twice during the day, and had sought and had been denied the privilege of entering the Opera House, but at 5 o'clock his lifeless body was found in the auditorium.  How he gained admittance and how he met with the accident that resulted in his death, are largely matters of conjecture.  It seems apparent, however, that he entered the building by the Beeman street door, and ascended to the audience room by the eastern stairway.  The house contained no lights except those in the hands of one or two painters at work in a remote part, and it is probable that in the darkness the old man stumbled off one of the steps that lead toward the stage, and striking the railing that separates the parquet from the dress circle, fell over it on to his head.  The attention of the workmen was not attracted by the accident, and he lay thus until found a half hour later.  An examination by surgeons showed that his neck was broken by the fall.  Coroner Jewett was notified of the occurrence, but did not consider an inquest necessary.  Mr. Tilton was eighty-five years of age, residing with his son and wife in a comfortable home on lower Main street.  He leaves three sons, John Tilton, who lives at home, George Tilton who resides in Bristol, and Oliver Tilton, living in Gorham.  Can. Times.

From Geneva Daily Times 25 August 1904

Canandaigua, N. Y. -
Yesterday, at her home, occurred the death of Mrs. Melvina Gilbert, wife of Oliver C. Tilton, at the age of sixty-six years and four months. The survivors are two sisters, Mrs. T. Benton Pierce of Reed Corners, and Mrs. Elizabeth Lathrop of Beerville, Mich.

From Geneva Daily Times 4 March 1907

Canandaigua, N. Y. - After an extended illness, Oliver C. Tilton, an old resident of Canandaigua, passed away late Friday night at the home of his sister, Mrs. Seba Squires, on Main street south. Deceased was born in Bristol seventy years ago, the son of Isaac and Caroline Tilton. He was educated at the Genesee Wesleyan Seminary and was a man of high intelligence, and great religious zeal, having been an active member of the Canandaigua Baptist Church for many years, and one of the deacons for some terms. In early life he taught school, but his principle vocation was that of a farmer. He was united to Malvina Gilbert of Bristol, who died in July, 1905. Two sisters, Mrs. Squires and Mrs. Mary E. Mather, both of Canandaigua, and two brothers, John J. of Canandaigua and George W. Squires, of Bristol survive.

From Phelps Citizen 25 November 1880

William Tilton
recently died at Canandaigua, at the advanced age of eighty-one years.

From Ontario County Journal 5 May 1911

The death of John Timm occurred on Wednesday afternoon, aged 66 years, 11 months. Death was due to Bright's disease. Mr. Timm was born in Germany. He came to this country 35 years ago, and resided in the vicinity of Pittsford until three years ago when he came to reside with his son, Henry C. Timm, Mason street, at whose home he died. He is survived by three sons, John of Walworth, Fred of Lyons, and Henry C. of Canandaigua; and one daughter, Mrs. Mary Willis of Rochester. The funeral will be held this afternoon at 2 o'clock from his late home. Interment will be at Pittsford.

From Geneva Daily Times 16 January 1909

Mrs. Ellen Timms
died this morning at 9:50 o'clock at her residence, No. 20 North avenue. She is survived by two sons, George and John, and one daughter, Mrs. Margaret Drum, all of this city. The funeral will take place Monday morning at 8:30 o'clock from St. Francis DeSales church. Burial in St. Patrick's Cemetery.

From Geneva Gazette 14 December 1883

This well known and worthy adopted citizen died very suddenly on the 9th inst.  His residence among us extends over a period of at least 25 years.  For many years he was employed at the Geneva Gas Works, and was found a steady, reliable helper.  Latterly he has been employed at the Lehigh Valley coal depot.  Almost a giant in stature and physical strength, he was yet one of the most kind hearted and generous of men, never exerting his muscular powers to oppress his fellow-men.  His children too have been educated to habits of industry, and fill important and responsible positions in business life.  The funeral of Mr. Tindall took place at St. Francis de Sales Church on Wednesday last, and was very largely attended.

From Geneva Gazette 18 April 1890

About two o'clock Wednesday afternoon, while Mrs. Maria Tindall was performing some light work in front of her residence on Wadsworth street, she was taken suddenly ill and going into the house laid down upon a couch where she expired in a few moments.  Her death was the result of heart failure.  Mrs. Tindall was a large, fleshy woman, and had been ailing for some time. She was the first person to arrive at the side of the late John B. Dixon who fell near her house, stricken by the same malady, and who was placed upon the same couch whereon she breathed her last.  Mrs. Tindall was a lady highly esteemed by her neighbors, being of a noble and warm-hearted disposition.  She was the relict of Lawrence Tindall, a well-known and highly respected citizen, whose second wife she was.  A family of grown-up children are left to mourn her loss.  The deceased was 52 years of age.  The funeral will be held tomorrow morning at 9 o'clock from St. Francis de Sales Church.

From Ontario County Chronicle 21 September 1904

Victor, N. Y. - Mrs. Adam Tischer,
who resided north of this village, died at the Rochester hospital last week, and the remains were brought here and the funeral held at St. Patrick's church Thursday morning. Interment was made in the Catholic cemetery. Besides the husband, seven children survive.

From Phelps Citizen 18 January 1945

Mrs. Nellie Tischer
died Jan. 13, 1945, at Victor. She leaves her husband, Thomas, and one daughter, Mrs. Edwin Sullivan, both of Victor; two sisters, Mrs. William Crouch of Phelps and Miss Loretta Gainey of Honeoye Falls; three brothers, William Gainey of Phelps, John Gainey of Flushing and Thomas Gainey of Geneva; several nieces and nephews. Funeral services were held in the home the following Tuesday at 9:30 a.m. and in St. Patrick's church, Victor, at 10 a.m. Burial in St. Patrick's Cemetery.

From Geneva Gazette 18 November 1887

Mrs. Almira L. Titus, widow of Anson Titus, for a half century a manufacturer of plows in Phelps, died at the home of her son, Oliver S. Titus, Shortsville, on Wednesday, in her 78th year.  Funeral took place in Universalist Church, Clifton Springs, this afternoon.  She leaves three sons and a daughter, all settled in life.  Among them is Rev. Anson Titus, of Massachusetts, a Universalist clergyman.

From Ontario County Journal 29 December 1882

Mr. Anson Titus,
of Phelps, whose prostration by paralysis while on a visit to Byron, Genesee County, we noticed last week, died on Friday, the 22d inst. His remains were taken to Phelps, and the funeral held last Tuesday. Mr. Titus was an old, respected and influential citizen of Phelps.

From Ontario County Chronicle 25 September 1901

Mrs. Mary J. Titus, widow of the late Horace H. Titus, died Monday morning at the home of her daughter, Mrs. J. S. Coe, in this village, aged 80 years. The death was due to a stroke of paralysis, which she suffered recently. Mr. Titus was formerly a well-known business man of Phelps. He died in February, 1895, since which time Mrs. Titus had made her home with her daughter, Mrs. Coe. She is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Carrie A. Ray, Coldwater, Mich., and a brother, James Barber, of Phelps.

From Phelps Citizen 3 July 1919

Oliver S. Titus
of Shortsville, a native and former resident of Phelps, passed away at the family home on Tuesday afternoon after a month's illness, at the age of 76 years. He was the son of Anson and Almira Sabin Titus, and was born in Phelps on May 13, 1842. After completing his studies in the Phelps school, he took a course at Clinton Liberal Institute in Oneida county, and in August, 1862, when 19 years of age, enlisted in Company C, 148th Regiment, remaining in the army until the close of the Civil war. He was detailed soon after enlistment for clerical services in the office of Judge Advocate of the department of Virginia and North Carolina.

On February 14, 1866, Mr. Titus was married at Sherburne to Miss Frances Marion Upham, and they lived for a time in Kirksville, Mo., moving to Shortsville in 1874, where Mr. Titus became bookkeeper for the Empire Grain Drill company, in which he later became a stockholder and served as secretary and treasurer of the concern which succeeded to its business from 1885 to 1903. He was a member of the banking firm of Mather & Co., a stockholder in the Red Jacket Telephone company, and for many years its treasurer. For 25 years he was president of the local board of education and had served the village as president. He was a member of the Universalist church of Clifton Springs, and belonged to the Masons, Arch Masons and Knights Templar. He was a member of the local Grand Army Post, and former president of the 148th Regiment Association. He leaves his wife, a son, Fred A. Titus of Shortsville, and two daughters, Mrs. H. K. Dodge of Pasadena, Cal., and Mrs. W. W. Phalan of Shortsville; besides three grandchildren; one brother, Rev. Anson Titus f Somerville, Mass.; and a sister, Mrs. Susan Carr of Phelps. The funeral will be held from his late home today, Rev. A. J. MacMillan of the Presbyterian church officiating, and interment will be made in Brookside cemetery.

From Ontario County Chronicle 20 February 1901

Clifton Springs, N. Y. - Thomas B. Titus
suddenly dropped dead on Friday morning while conversing with his wife. Mr. Titus, since an attack of grip two years ago, had suffered occasional heart spells. Hew was a highly esteemed citizen, having held many public offices. He was especially identified with the Y. M. C. A. Besides a wife he leaves one daughter, Miss Anna Titus of Syracuse University, two brothers, Oliver S. Titus, secretary of the Empire Drill Company, Shortsville, Rev. Anson Titus of Boston, and a sister, Mrs. C. D. Carr of Phelps.

Return to Ontario County Homepage

Copyright 2004-16 Ontario County NYGenWeb and each contributor and author of materials herein. All rights reserved.