Smith Obituaries "A" through "F"

From Ithaca Daily News 26 February 1900

Shortly after midnight Saturday, the fast Lehigh Valley express, train No. 8, struck a carriage containing seven persons at Tuttle's Crossing, near Farmington, killing, fatally injuring or badly hurting all the occupants. All are members of one family. The dead: Mrs. Amy Smith, forty-eight years old; Bert Smith, twenty-four years old; Miss Miranda Smith, twenty-four years old; Glee Smith, fourteen years old; Catherine Smith, eight years. The injured: Porter Smith, husband of Mrs. Smith and father of the victims, fatally; Gardiner Smith, twenty-one years, seriously. 

Before reaching the crossing, the sleigh was stopped and Mr. Smith listened for the train, but did not hear it in the howling gale. The horses had just crossed the track in safety when the engine of the express crashed down upon the sleigh and its occupants.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 27 November 1907

Mrs. A. Eveline Andrews Smith,
widow of  the late Dr. Joseph P. Smith, a prominent physician in this village for many years, died Wednesday morning in the Memorial Hospital, at the age of 80 years. She is survived by two half sisters, Mrs. Robert Smith of Seattle, Wash., and Mrs. John Daily of Stuart, Ia. The funeral was held from the residence of Mack S. Smith, her nephew, in Gibson street Friday afternoon at 3 o'clock, Rev. Livingston L. Taylor, pastor of the Congregational church officiating. Interment in Woodlawn cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 6 July 1897

A. J. Smith,
engineer at the water works station, died at an early hour Sunday morning, of dropsy, at the Church Home hospital. Mr. Smith was 52 years of age and leaves a wife and two sons, Warren and Frank.

10 July 1897 - The funeral of the late A. J. Smith, who died Sunday morning, was held yesterday afternoon at 3 o'clock, from the residence at the pump station at Glass Factory bay. The funeral was largely attended. The remains were met at the entrance of Glenwood cemetery by the members of the Masonic lodge, of which Mr. Smith was a member in high standing, and the members of the Order of Eastern Star. The remains were escorted to the grave where the solemn Masonic burial service was read.

From Geneva Daily Times 21 December 1907

Phelps, N. Y. -
The death of Abram S. Smith occurred early Friday morning at his home on Church street. He had been ill several months with heart trouble. Mr. Smith was born at Waterloo Sept. 13, 1831. Forty-two years ago he came to Phelps and for a couple of years he conducted the old Globe Hotel, a hostelry that has long since passed out of existence. Later Mr. Smith entered the coal and produce business, which he conducted successfully up to two years ago, when he retired. In politics, Mr. Smith always supported the Democratic principles and was three times elected supervisor of the Town of Phelps. He also served several terms as president of the village. Mr. Smith was a member of Sincerity Lodge, F. and A. M. His near survivors are his widow, and three daughters, Mrs. Henry Warner, Mrs. Frank L. Holbrooke and Miss Leah Smith, who resides at home; also a brother, J. R. Smith of Waterloo, and a sister, Miss Luella Smith of Rose, N. Y. The funeral will be held Monday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock and will be private.

From Victor Herald 20 May 1904

Friday, May 13th, at the home of Mr. and Mrs. M. L. Taft, occurred the funeral of Adelbert Smith. Rev. Newton Bates officiated, and interment was made in the Rural Cemetery. The deceased was a great sufferer for many months. He was 61 years of age and leaves two sisters, Mrs. W. T. Case and Mrs. M. L. Taft.

From Geneva Daily Times 14 April 1930

Shortsville, April 14 - Adelbert H. Smith
died at the Thompson Memorial Hospital in Canandaigua, Sunday morning, April 13, at 3:45 o'clock following an extended illness. He was born in Marion, N. Y., February 14, 1857, a son of Harry and Anna Hamshier Smith. He was married to Miss Nellie M. Persons, who died March 20, 1913. Mr. and Mrs. Smith went to Michigan to reside but thirty-three years ago came to Hopewell where they had lived ever since. Mr. Smith was a member of the Knights of the Maccabees. The survivors are one son, Clyde Smith of Hopewell and one daughter, Mrs. Maude Scutt of Canandaigua; one sister, Mrs. Emma Isabelle Coomber of Hopewell; one brother, Frank O. Smith of St. Louis, Mo.; and five grandchildren. Funeral services will be held on Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock from the Methodist church in Chapin. Rev. Ernest Warren will officiate and the burial will be in Brookside Cemetery, Shortsville.

From Shortsville Enterprise 23 May 1913

Mrs. Adelbert H. Smith
died at the family home in Hopewell on Tuesday afternoon at 3:10 o'clock, after a three weeks' illness with pneumonia. Her age was 54 years. She was born in Hopewell and had passed nearly all her life there. The survivors are her husband, one son, one daughter, and two brothers. Rev. C. C. Reynolds will conduct the funeral services to be held from the house this Friday afternoon.

From Shortsville Enterprise 11 November 1915

The death of Alice E. Smith occurred at her home in Manchester Center on Friday morning, Oct. 29. She had been in poor health for a number of years, but was able to be about the house until a few days before her death. She was a daughter of Harvey and Eunice White Harmon, and was born on Dec. 20, 1828, near Clifton Springs, in the house now standing just west of Fall Brook on the Lawrence Martin farm. On January 4, 1855, she married Edmund Smith and removed to Manchester Center where her life was spent. Mrs. Smith came of an old pioneer family; her father having settled at the "Poplar Corners" in 1814. A few years later he removed to the Fall Brook farm and then again back to the original home. He was a native of Connecticut, and her mother a native of Vermont. For many years her father kept a hotel and it was a regular stopping place for travelers through this section. The local post office was also kept there for a long time. As a young girl she saw the first train that passed over the Auburn branch of the N. Y. C. R. R. She was possessed of a fine mind and of a strong character and was a constant reader of good literature. She was always ready to help those in need, and in the active years of her life spent many days and nights caring for the sick. In early life she joined the M. E. church at Port Gibson and remained a faithful member until her death. Mrs. Smith is survived by her husband and two sons, A. Ervin and Asa H. Smith, who reside on the home farm. A son, George E., died in 1859 of diphtheria, which was the first case of that disease in this vicinity. Other survivors are one brother, Henry C. Harmon, of Cassopolis, Mich., and two nephews, Byron H. Macumber, of Manchester, and Calvin Macumber of Beloit, Wis., and one niece, Mrs. Frank Huntoon, of Shortsville. The funeral services were held from her late home the following Monday afternoon and were conducted by the Rev. H. B. Reddick, of Clifton Springs, assisted by the  Rev. Eberle of Port Gibson. The burial was in the Pioneers' cemetery.

From Geneva Gazette 17 February 1871

Mr. Andre Smith,
whose death we chronicle today, was of the old and well-known firm of Smith & Gaylord, master builders. Deceased was an experienced and enlightened mechanic, a most conscientious and upright man in all his dealings, and in every sense a good and respected citizen. He had not enjoyed good health for a year or more, yet buoyed up by a strong, energetic will, he kept about and in active employment until November last. He then succumbed to what he supposed was a severe attack of rheumatism, but the disease developed itself rapidly into the formidable and dangerous form of scrofulous consumption, which terminated fatally on Monday morning last. His funeral was attended yesterday from the Presbyterian church, of which he was a zealous and honored member. The large concourse present with saddened countenance, betokened the universal sorrow which prevails at his decease.

From Geneva Daily Times 8 September 1909

Mrs. Angeline K. Smith,
widow of the late Charles Smith, died this noon about 11:45 o'clock at the City Hospital after a two weeks' illness. Yesterday she underwent an operation. She was about 70 years old. She leaves two brothers, Edward Kime of Fayette and William C. Kime of Waterloo; one sister, Miss Susan A. Kime of this city. The remains were taken this afternoon to her late home, No. 149 William street. Burial Glenwood Cemetery.

From Ontario County Chronicle 4 June 1902

Mrs. Ann Smith
died yesterday at her home in Clark street, aged 68 years. She was a widow of Richard Smith. The deceased is survived by two sons, William and Henry Hanovan, of this village, and one daughter, Mrs. Peter Neenan of East Bloomfield. Burial in St. Bridget's Cemetery, East Bloomfield.

From Geneva Daily Times 11 January 1909

Phelps, N. Y. -
The remains of Mrs. Ann E. Smith, widow of Franklin Smith, who died at Rochester, were brought to Phelps for burial Saturday. Mrs. Smith formerly lived in Phelps and was the mother of Rev. George Smith, who died about five years ago. She was 75 years os age. Surviving relatives are three sisters, Mrs. A. B. Morse, Mrs. S. M. Peeler and Mrs. M. E. Reynolds, all of Rochester.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 15 March 1917

Shortsville, N. Y., March 14 -
The funeral of Mrs. Ann Orleans Smith took place from the home of her son, Adelbert H. Smith, in the town of Hopewell, three miles south of this village, at 1 o'clock this afternoon. Rev. Mr. Shepard of Chapin Methodist Episcopal Church officiated. Interment was made at Brookside cemetery, Shortsville. Mrs. Smith had been a sufferer with heart trouble for several weeks and died from that disease at 2 o'clock Monday morning. She was a daughter of the late Robert and Betsy Walter Hamshire, and was born near Maidstone, England, on September 11, 1835. Coming to American when 17 years old, in 1852, she became a resident of East Walworth, Wayne county, and was married in 1856 to Henry Smith, of Walworth, which place was their home for a time. Moving from that village, they settled in the town of Manchester, living there for eighteen years, and then moved to Kansas and later to Missouri, where they remained for sixteen years. There Mr. Smith died. His wife came back East and for the past eight years had made the home of her son, Adelbert H. Smith, her home. She was a lifelong member of the Church of England. Mrs. Smith leaves two sons and a daughter, Adelbert H. Smith of Hopewell, Franklin G. Smith of St. Louis, and Mrs. Alfred Coomber of Hopewell; a grandson, Clyde E. Smith of Hopewell; four granddaughters, Mrs. Alonzo Schutt, of Chapin, and Misses Ruby, Bessie and Florence Smith of St. Louis; a brother, Fred Hamshire of Toledo; and three sisters, Mrs. Hoyt of Pontiac, Mich, Mrs. Emma Gilfoil of Marion, N. Y., and Mrs. Mary Ellen Wood of East Walworth.

From Geneva Daily Times 11 April 1899

Mrs. Anna Smith,
one of Geneva's oldest and most respected citizens, died at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. George T. Keith, on Grove street, yesterday afternoon, after a lingering illness, aged 78 years. The deceased suffered six strokes of paralysis, the last one proving fatal. Mrs. Smith is survived by two sons and two daughters, Benjamin F. Clark of Geneva, George W. Smith of Batavia, and Mrs. T. Fred Archer and Mrs. George T. Keith of this city. The funeral will take place Thursday afternoon, at 2:30 o'clock from her late residence, and at 3 o'clock from Trinity church, Rev. r. H. W. Nelson, officiating. Interment will be in Glenwood.

From Ontario County Journal 10 September 1915

The death of Mrs. Anna Cooley Smith occurred at her home on Gibson street on Tuesday morning, following a long illness of heart trouble. She leaves one son, Ellic D. Cooley of Canandaigua; three daughters, Mrs. Lewis G. Seeley of Caro, Mich., Mrs. Lewis D. Canfield of Canandaigua, and Mrs. Wallace W. Bullock of Hastings-on-the-Hudson; several grandchildren; two brothers, R. D. Graves of Corning and C. D. Graves of Pontiac, Mich.; and a sister, Miss Ida Graves of Canandaigua. Rev. Livingston L. Taylor will officiate at the funeral services at the home this afternoon at 4 o'clock. Interment will be in Woodlawn.

From Geneva Daily Times 28 January 1915

Mrs. Anna L. Smith,
aged 66 years, wife of Martin H. Smith, of 616 South Main street, died last night at 10:30 o'clock at the Geneva City Hospital, after an illness of about ten days. She is survived by her husband, one daughter, Mrs. E. J. Cook; one grandchild; one sister, Miss Emmeline W. Thomas, all of Geneva; two brothers, James E. Thomas of North Rose, and Edward B. Thomas of Trafford City, Pa. Mrs. Smith was born in Geneva and has for many years been a member of the North Presbyterian church, taking an active part in the church affairs. Funeral services will be held Saturday afternoon at 3 o'clock from the house, Rev. David H. Craver officiating. Interment will be made in Glenwood Cemetery and will be private.

From Geneva Daily Times 5 September 1902

Mrs. Anne Smith
died at the City hospital at 5:30 o'clock yesterday afternoon, from general debility, aged 68 years. The remains were taken last evening to the undertaking rooms of Devaney & Fletcher, and this morning were taken to her late residence, four miles north of the city, on the Pre-emption road.  The deceased is survived by one son, George Smith. The funeral will take place at 3 o'clock Sunday from the late residence.  Interment will be in the Oaks Corners cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 18 August 1893

Reed's Corners, N. Y. -
The sad death of Mrs. Arthur Smith, formerly of this place, occurred at Ovid on Friday last. The funeral, which was largely attended, was held at the home of her sister, Mrs. J. K. Washburn, on Sunday afternoon at 4 o'clock; interment at Reed's Corners cemetery. Mrs. Smith won for herself hosts of friends while among us, by her amiable disposition and kind manners. She leaves a husband, one son, father, sister and brother to mourn her loss, who have the sincere sympathy of the whole community.

From Ontario County Times 27 August 1884

Port Gibson, N. Y. - Mrs. Smith, widow of the late Asa Smith,
died at her old home Aug. 21st. Her funeral was held at the M. E. church Saturday morning, she being the oldest member. She was ninety-five years of age.

From Geneva Daily Times 22 October 1929

Clifton Springs, N. Y., Oct. 21 - Mrs. Barbara Mackenzie Smith,
51, wife of A. Ervin Smith, died today at her home in Manchester Center. She is survived by her husband; one daughter, Margaret Mackenzie of New York City; four sons, Kenneth of Canandaigua, Emory George Sidney Smith, Sidney Ervin Smith and Elmer Rollin Smith, all of Manchester; two sisters, Georgianna MacDonald of Bath, England, Susan Ross of Edinburgh, Scotland; and one brother, Alexander MacDonald of Edinburgh, Scotland. Funeral Wednesday at 2 o'clock from the home. Burial in Pioneer Cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 2 April 1909

Manchester, N. Y. - Benjamin G. Smith,
died at his home on Main street on Saturday afternoon at 4 o'clock, aged 71 years. He suffered a stroke of paralysis on the preceding Monday afternoon and most of the time until his death lay in an unconscious state. He was a son of Levi and Betsey Ketchum Smith and was born in the town of Farmington in October, 1837. His parents purchased a farm north of the village of Manchester in 1850 and most of the time since his home had been in Manchester. The death of his wife, Mrs. Josephine Smith, occurred in this village about 12 years ago. He is survived by a daughter, Mrs. Fred White of Temecula, Cal.; one son, Clarence Smith of Auburn; two brothers W. Harrison Smith of Albany, and Ira Smith of Skaneateles; one sister, Mrs. Ephriam Wilber, of West Bloomfield. The funeral was held in the Methodist church on Monday afternoon, Rev. C. Hebblethwaite officiating. Interment was in Brookside Cemetery.

The following relatives from out-of-town were in attendance at the funeral of Benjamin G. Smith on Monday: Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Smith and son, Clifford, of Auburn; W. H. H. Smith of Albany; Mr. and Mrs. Ira Smith of Skaneateles; Mr. and Mrs. E. Wilber of West Bloomfield; William Warfield and daughter and William Newman of Canandaigua; Daniel Ketchum of Rochester; Mr. and Mrs. Edward Petty and Gardner Smith of Farmington.

From Ontario County Chronicle 26 June 1901

Naples, N. Y. - Benjamin Orrin Smith died Saturday. Most of his long life was spent on the farm where he died. Three sons, George of Bath, John of Hammondsport, Benjamin O. of Naples, a wife and two daughters survive.

From Ontario County Journal 28 June 1901

Naples, N. Y. - 
The death of Benjamin Orrin Smith occurred Saturday last. His age was 78. He was born in Naples and this had always been his home. He bore the same name as his father and gave it to his oldest son. A wife, three daughters and four sons are left. The daughters are Mrs. Elliott of Italy; Mrs. James Demorest and Miss Caroline of Naples; the sons are B. O. of Naples; George of Bath; John of Hammondsport and Richard of Rushville.

From Ontario County Journal 25 February 1881

Mrs. Betsey Smith,
wife of one of the older residents of South Bristol, David M. Smith, died Feb. 16th of pneumonia, at the age of 62. She was a sister of the late Lucius Lincoln, Esq., and aunt of Hon. C. S. Lincoln. She was greatly beloved, and a large circle of relatives and friends are bereaved. The funeral was held on Saturday in the neighborhood of her residence, at West Hollow, in this town, and she was buried in that cemetery.

From Victor Herald 9 September 1893

Mrs. Betsey Smith,
widow of Levi Smith, died at her home in Manchester village Thursday morning, aged nearly 75 years. She had been confined to her room for some time with disease. Her daughter-in-law, three sons, Benjamin, W. H. and Ira; also two daughters, Mrs. Leonard Lyke and Mrs. Ephraim Wilber, survive. Mrs. Smith formerly lived in the town of Farmington, on the farm south from Brownsville, owned by Mrs. McKallor and occupied by M. C. Crowley.

From Ontario County Journal 24 April 1896

Phelps, N. Y. - Mrs. Catherine Smith,
wife of Abram S. Smith, coal dealer, dropped dead on Monday afternoon at about half-past three o'clock, while at work in her flower garden. Henry Chase was assisting her, and they had been in the yard for some time, when Mrs. Smith suddenly stopped and speaking to Mr. Chase, said, "I feel dizzy and am afraid I shall fall." Before he could reply she fell on her face and expired immediately. Her husband, who was near by, was summoned, and kind hands bore her into the house. A doctor was called but found that the spark of life had fled. Mrs. Smith was quite a fleshy person and had been troubled at times with her heart, and it was that which undoubtedly caused her death. Her sudden taking away has cast a gloom over the village. Mrs. Smith was very highly esteemed in the community. She was a very domestic woman and very fond of her family. Her age was 56 years. She leaves, besides her husband, three daughters, Mrs. Henry Warner of Clifton Springs, Mrs. Frank Holbrook of Phelps, and Miss Lee, the youngest, who lived at home. The funeral services were held from the home on Church street and very largely attended yesterday afternoon at 2 o'clock, Rev. Dr. Webb officiating, and interment made in Phelps cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 9 October 1933

The funeral of Charles B. Smith of 383 Washington street, who was killed yesterday morning when he attempted to halt a bolting team of horses on a farm southeast of Hall, will be held tomorrow afternoon at 2 o'clock from the late residence, with Rev. J. B. Arthur of St. Paul's Episcopal church, Waterloo, officiating. Burial will be in the new Lyons cemetery. Besides his wife and a daughter, Mrs. Lewis G. Storey, of this city, he leaves a sister, Mrs. Race Williams of Junius; and two brothers, John Smith of Phelps, and Michael of Parish, N. Y.

From Geneva Daily Times 8 July 1908

Charles H. Smith,
aged 69 years, died Monday night at 9:30 o'clock at his home, 148 William street, after a long illness with heart disease. He had been a farmer in Seneca Co. until seven years ago; on account of failing health he removed to this city. He is survived by his widow and one niece, Mrs. Arthur C. Gannett of Border City. The funeral will take place tomorrow afternoon at 2:30 o'clock from the house, Rev. W. W. Weller, pastor of the First Presbyterian Church officiating. Interment will be in Glenwood Cemetery.

From Naples News 23 February 1899

Mrs. Chas. J. Smith
died at the family residence, on Cohocton street, at an early hour Tuesday morning after a short illness, in the 39th year of her age. The funeral will be held today, Thursday, at 1 o'clock at the house and at the M. E. Church at 2 o'clock.

From Geneva Daily Times 16 October 1907

Charles W. Smith
, 50 years of age, one of the justices in the Town of Geneva, died at 1:30 o'clock this morning at his home on the Carter Road. The deceased was in his usual health on Saturday last and came to the city in the afternoon, when he was taken with a stroke of apoplexy. He was taken to his home and death resulted from the stroke. The deceased was the son of Mr. and Mrs. George X. Smith and was born in the town where he has lived throughout his life. He received his education at Hobart College, from which institution he was graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1879. In 1882 the college conferred upon him the honorary degree of Master of Arts. After leaving college, he returned to the farm and has become one of the most respected farmers in the eastern part of Ontario. When the old town of Geneva was divided into the town and city of Geneva, Mr. Smith was elected justice of the peace on the Republican ticket and has since been reelected with increasing majorities. Besides serving as justice, he took an active part in all of the affairs of the town board and has been one of the most active and public-spirited citizens in the town. Mr. Smith is survived by his widow; one daughter, Edith L. Smith; mother, Mrs. George X. Smith, and three brothers, Martin H. of the Town of Seneca; W. Edgar, of the Town of Geneva, and Dr. George Smith of New York. The funeral will take place at 3 o'clock from the house Friday afternoon. Burial will be in the family cemetery on the old homestead.

From Geneva Daily Times 4 January 1909

Stanley, N. Y. -
Last Friday afternoon at 4:30 o'clock occurred the death of Mrs. Charlotte Smith at her home, near Lewis Station, three miles northwest of this village. Mrs. Smith had been in good health until a few days ago, when she was stricken with pneumonia and sank rapidly. Had she lived until February, Mr. and Mrs. Smith would have celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of their marriage. The deceased was about 76 years of age, and had been a resident of this vicinity all her life. She was a member of the Emory Chapel Church and had always taken an active interest in the work of the church and Sunday School. She leaves a brother, Erastus Lewis, of Chicago; one sister, Mrs. Emory Parker of Canandaigua; her husband D. Yates Smith; a son, L. B. Smith and a daughter, Kate, all of this place. Burial Sand Hill Cemetery.

From Geneva Gazette 30 September 1898

Mrs. Chester A. Smith,
died at her residence, Genesee Park Place, last Sunday, aged 74 years. She was a daughter of the late George Barclay and the second wife of Mr. Smith long since deceased. The funeral was held at the house and the interment made in the family plot in Washington street cemetery.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 1 April 1912

Clifton Springs, N. Y., April 1 - The death of Clyde Smith occurred on Friday at the Wheatly farm, south of this village, where he had been ill for some time. The funeral services were held yesterday afternoon, and interment was made in the Plainsville cemetery. The deceased is survived by a daughter.

From Geneva Daily Times 25 September 1902

Rochester, N. Y. -
It is not believed here today that Cyrus D. Smith, the Phelps, N. Y. farmer who died in a chair at the Victoria hotel in Front street yesterday afternoon, met with foul play.  Smith probably fell from a car Monday night and received an injury to his head which resulted in his death.  Smith had trouble with his wife at Phelps early Sunday morning, and he then tried to choke her and did strike her, it is said.  She went to get a warrant for him and he gathered up a few belongings in a grip and skipped for Rochester.  He arrived in this city at 10 o'clock Sunday.  From that  time his movements have been pretty thoroughly traced by the detectives and police.  Some time Monday he applied for board at Casper Kirchner's boarding house, 179 St. Paul street, and slept there that night.  It was that night that he received the cut over his eye, supposed to have resulted in blood poisoning.  An autopsy made by Dr. Leary disclosed that Smith was in a very bad way physically.  His brain was one of the most typical cases of "wet brain," the condition found in alcoholics, ever seen at the morgue.  His heart and liver were diseased and other organs in bad shape.  It is probable that but a short term of life remained for him in the ordinary run of affairs, and that his constitution was so weakened that he could not stand a shock which a healthier man would have lived through.

From Phelps Citizen 1 January 1914

At the home of his daughter, Mrs. Frank A. Underwood on Ontario street, last Friday morning, occurred the death of Daniel T. Smith, aged 78 yrs, death being due to heart trouble. Deceased was born at Shelburn, Mass. but had spent the greater part of his life at Auburn. He came to Phelps to reside about three years ago. Besides his daughter, Mrs. Underwood, he leaves three brothers, William, Frank and Albert Smith, all of Shelburn, Mass. The funeral services were held at the house Sunday afternoon, Rev. C. C. MacLean officiating, and interment was made in the Phelps cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 20 October 1899

The death of David A. Smith occurred at Willard on Wednesday. The deceased was 79 years of age, and had been a resident of Canandaigua for about thirty years. He is survived by one daughter, Mrs. Edward Herendeen, who resides near Cook's Point. The funeral was held from Crane's undertaking rooms yesterday afternoon.

From Ontario County Journal 19 October 1894

Naples, N. Y. - David M. Smith
died on Monday at his old home -- now the home of his son, Carlton -- in South Bristol, at the good age of 78. He was born in Rose, N. Y., but came to South Bristol when a lad of 16. His first wife was Betsey Lincoln, by whom he had nine children, six of whom are living, four sons in Michigan, and one daughter, Mrs. Laura Brown in Naples. He also leaves one brother, Russell R. Smith, of South Bristol.

From Naples Record 18 February 1881

Mrs. David M. Smith,
of Bristol Hill, is very low with pneumonia. Her husband, also, is quite sick with a serious cold. Later - Mrs. Smith died on Wednesday night at 11 o'clock, much sooner that was expected. Her age was 62. She was a sister of the late Lucius Lincoln of South Bristol, and of Mrs. Spencer Francis of Prattsburgh. She was the beloved mother of a large family of children, and a most estimable woman devoted to her home interests. She has lived long enough to see all of her children grow up, and settle in life about her. Her memory will ever be precious to them, and to the bereaved husband. Her funeral will be held in the West Hollow school house at 1 p.m. tomorrow (Saturday), Rev. Mr. Woodruff to officiate. The friends will assemble at the house at 11 a.m. She will rest in the West Hollow cemetery.

From Ontario County Times 5 March 1890

West Bloomfield, N. Y. -  Mrs. Dow Smith
died very suddenly at her home in this place last Wednesday evening. She had been about her usual duties during the day, apparently feeling as well as ever, but in the evening her husband left the room for a few moments and on returning found her dying. She breathed once or twice and was dead. The cause was supposed to be heart disease. The funeral was held Saturday afternoon and the remains were taken to North Bloomfield for interment.

From Ontario County Journal 8 April 1887

Gorham, N. Y. - The funeral services of Edith Smith, wife of Henry Smith, of Seneca, were attended at the Little church, Wednesday afternoon. She was the lady, who about a year and half ago, was shot at one night, through the bedroom window. There was much excitement over the occurrence at the time, but no clue to the would-be assassin was ever discovered. She recovered from the wounds received at the time, but never fully from the nervous shock. Consumption finally did the work of death.

From Geneva Courier 1 July 1874

Boy Drowned in Seneca -
Seldom if ever has there been so sad an occurrence to record in this vicinity as took place on Saturday last, the 29th inst., about 7 p.m.  Two boys, the one aged about 14, the other 16, went to Flint Creek for the purpose of bathing, when the oldest who was unable to swim, got into deep water and was drowned.

The alarm was given as soon as possible by the other boy, and soon the bank of the Creek was crowded by the inhabitants of the village.  Our informant on arriving at the spot saw three men in the water (Rev. B. F. Hitchcock, Alvan Young and Jas. L. Smith) searching for the corpse.  The fourth, H. E. Youngs, soon was in the water, he and Mr. Hitchcock both diving for the body discovered it, and laid hold of it at the same time, and brought it to the surface, and with the help of others, it was immediately conveyed to the bank, and means were used to restore life, but it was all in vain, the body having been under water about thirty minutes.  The drowned boy, Ed. G. Smith, was the adopted son of Jas. L. Smith of this place.  He was a boy much respected, trusty, industrious and of steady habits, a member of the Sabbath School and M. E. Church.  The sad accident has caused a feeling of sadness and gloom throughout the community.  The bereaved have the sincere sympathy of all their neighbors.

From Shortsville Enterprise 6 April 1916

Supervisor Edmund W. Smith, of Manchester township, and a team of fine horses were instantly killed by a fast Lehigh Valley passenger train at the Connelly crossing, just north of this village, on Sunday evening about 6:30 o'clock. Mr. Smith, who was alone in the carriage, awaited the passing of a freight train over the crossing and drove onto the tracks just in time to be struck by what is known as passenger train No. 1. While there was no eye-witness to the accident, it is presumed that the engine struck the horses, the force of the impact throwing the wagon around in such a manner as to force Mr. Smith onto the fast-running train. The manner in which the two trains were traveling prevented Mr. Smith from seeing the approaching passenger. The freight was eastbound, while the passenger was running in the opposite direction, being obscured from view by the freight. George Jackson, who lives on the farm contiguous to the Lehigh tracks, saw the horses when they were hurled into the air, his view of the crossing being obstructed by a slight rise in the ground. Having observed Mr. Smith drive by his home only a moment or two previous, he knew at once that the train had caused another fatality. He rushed at once to the crossing and ran to where Mr. Smith lay, but he was dead by the time he reached him. The horses were likewise dead, having been terribly mangled. The carriage was demolished. As soon as the engineer realized the accident, he stopped his train and backed to the scene. The body of Mr. Smith was taken aboard and removed to the passenger station. . . . (More details followed)

Mr. Smith was born in the township of Manchester on May 4, 1866, thus being but 49 years of age. He was a son of the late Franklin D. Smith. His early education was gained in the rural schools of his township, but finished with a course in the Canandaigua Academy. Following his schooling, he entered upon the pursuit of agriculture, in which he was extensively engaged at the time of his death. He had always been a staunch Republican and took active interest in things political.

From Ontario County Journal 9 February 1894

East Bloomfield, N. Y. -
The funeral services of Edward Smith, who died on Friday last from heart failure, were conducted from St. Bridget's Church Monday at ten o'clock. The deceased was 66 years old.

From Geneva Daily Times 18 October 1895

The death of Edward Smith, who was stricken with apoplexy on Wednesday, occurred at 5:45 this morning, at the family residence on Genesee street, at the age of 74 years. Mr. Smith was born in Canterbury, Kent, England, and came to Geneva when 16 years of age, preceding his brothers, William and Thomas. His wife died several years ago. He is survived by three sons and two daughters, Frank of Auburn, N. C., W. A., Mary and Anna of Geneva. Mr. Smith has been engaged in the fruit-growing business for many years and has been most highly esteemed by all with whom he came in contact. His sudden death will be lamented by a large circle of friends, in and about Geneva, all of whom will extend heartfelt sympathies to the members of the sorrowing family. The funeral announcement has not yet been made.

From Geneva Gazette 23 August 1889

Obituary - MRS. EDWARD SMITH -
Afflictions are multiplied unto the family of Mr. Edward Smith.  Less than two years since a beloved daughter and sister fell victim to consumption.  Within the present year the venerable father of Mrs. Smith was followed to the grave; and now she herself has been taken by the insatiate archer.  Her death occurred last Monday afternoon, Aug. 19th, she also falling a victim to consumption.  The deceased was a daughter of the late George Catchpole, and a sister of Alfred and Daniel Catchpole.  She leaves a family of four sons and two daughters, all of adult age.  Her life was one of exclusive devotion to her family, and she had ample reward in their boundless affection.  The funeral of Mrs. Smith took place yesterday afternoon from the family residence, Genesee street, Rev. Dr. Rankine officiating.

From Geneva Daily Times 18 October 1904

Shortsville, N. Y. -
The funeral of Mrs. Edward Smith, who died at her home in Manchester Saturday afternoon, after a long illness with Bright's disease, was held in St. Dominic's church this morning at 10 o'clock. Burial was in Brookside cemetery. Mrs. Smith was formerly Miss Maggie Duffin of Victor. She is survived by her husband, Edward Smith, and five children -- four sons, William, Charles, Herbert and Eddie; and one daughter, Mrs. Robert Loring, all of Manchester; her mother, who resides at Palmyra, four sisters, Mrs. Keith of Farmington, Mrs. Vaughn of Palmyra, Mrs. Perry of Palmyra, and one in the west; three brothers, two in the west, and William Duffin, of Buffalo.

From Ontario County Journal 1 June 1900

At his residence on Main street on Monday occurred the death of Edward Kerl Smith, aged 62 years. Mr. Smith was a native of England, but had resided in this country many years. He was a member of the Masonic lodge of this village. Rev. C. H. Dickinson conducted the funeral services which were held on Tuesday afternoon. The deceased is survived by one daughter.

From Geneva Daily Times 24 April 1905

The funeral of Mrs. Edward M. Smith, who died Thursday morning at her home on the Castle road, took place at 2 o'clock this afternoon from St. Peter's church, Rev. J. B. Hubbs, D. D., officiating. Burial was in Glenwood cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 6 January 1909

Edward M. Smith,
who resided on the Warner farm about a mile west of the Experiment Station on the Seneca Castle road, died this morning at 3 o'clock at the City Hospital in Rochester, where he was taken three weeks ago for an operation. The deceased was a nurseryman and was the manager of the nurseries of his cousins, William and Theodore J. Smith. For about forty years he had lived on the Warner farm. His survivors are his widow, Mrs. Gertrude Seelye Smith, and one sister, Mrs. Cummings of Oaks Corners. The remains will be brought to his home this evening and the funeral arrangements will be announced later. Burial Glenwood Cemetery.

From the Herald of Truth, Geneva NY, 27 May 1835
Biography of Rev. Elijah Smith

We were under the painful necessity of announcing in our last week’s paper the death of our esteemed brother in the ministry, Rev. Elijah Smith …  Br. Smith was a native of Vermont.  He was born in the town of Monkton, county of Addison, December 5, 1796,  He never attached himself to any religious denomination, until in October, 1829, he was received into the fellowship of one of the Associations of Universalists in the above named State, in July, 1831, in which year he was duly ordained in the work of the Gospel ministry.  At or near this time, he commenced preaching with the societies in Henrietta [Monroe Co.] and Livonia [Livingston Co.].  He continued his labors with these societies for nearly three years with good success and unanimous approbation.  From thence he removed, at the urgent solicitation of friends, to Kennedyville, Steuben county, where he remained for some considerable time; how long we are not certain … In January, 1835, while at Kennedyville, probably by excessive labor and study, he was attacked with an inflammation of the liver, which afterward ran into typhus fever, and confined him to his bed and house for several months …  In October, 1835, he removed to North Bloomfield, where, as always before, he found many warm and attentive friends and brethren.  His health was so far improved, that through the Winter, or till February last, he succeeded in preaching to his society one sermon each alternate Sabbath, at which time he began to decline, though moderately.  His companion and friends continued to hope for his recovery until a few weeks before his death.  But he was evidently in a much worse condition than they imagined, his extreme patience, resignation and cheerfulness having deceived them.

Thus, having labored in the Gospel field most faithfully and successfully for about eight years, he fell asleep…in the fullest confidence of a holy and happy immortality for a ransomed world. It may be proper to state that a few hours before his death, he requested that the writer should be called to attend his funeral.  And that his affectionate and beloved companion in life might have an abiding testimony of his faith in an impartial Gospel, he penned the following lines and left them safely secured between two leaves in his Bible:—
This Book of Truth has from my youth
Been my great consolation:
I'm no more sad, such tidings glad
Disclose a world’s salvation.
We cannot leave the subject without invoking the benediction of Jehovah—the widow’s God, to rest upon our disconsolate and esteemed sister in Christ, who is now left husbandless, childless, and homeless, in a strange land. We heartily pray that she may find the best of friends wherever she may go, and finally a happy and enduring re-union with her departed Elijah in a purified world, beyond the power of death and the narrow confines of the grave.
C. [Rev. Jacob Chase]

This contribution was kindly donated by Karen Dau, Rochester NY
Archivist, NY State Convention of Universalists

From Ontario County Journal 12 December 1890

Cheshire, N. Y. - Elisha Smith who has been sick several weeks with pneumonia, died Sunday night. Funeral services were held at the Church here Tuesday. Rev. Mr. Byram and Rev. Mr. Kerr of Bristol officiating.

From Ontario County Chronicle 13 March 1901

Mrs. Eliza Sutherland Smith,
widow of the late John Smith, of Canandaigua, died on Tuesday, March 12, aged about 60 years. Service will be held at her home, 27 Rowley street, Rochester, at 10:30 a.m. Thursday, March 14, and in Canandaigua at the house of Mrs. M. C. Sackett, Greig street, at 1:30 p.m. on same day. The deceased was widely and favorably known in this and adjoining towns. She was s sister of Thompson, Henry C. and Lewis Sutherland, of this town. She is survived by five children, Mrs. Fox, Minnie, Ella, Charles S. and Elmer Smith.

From Geneva Daily Times 27 September 1895

The remains of Mrs. Elizabeth Smith, widow of the late Andre Smith, are expected in Geneva Saturday morning at 7 o'clock. Mrs. Smith died in Hastings, Nebraska, on Tuesday, and was over seventy years of age. The only member of the family hereabouts is Mrs. Edward Haslett of Seneca.

From Ontario County Journal 28 January 1910

Rushville, N. Y. -
At 1 o'clock Tuesday afternoon occurred the death of Mrs. Elizabeth Smith, widow of Jacob Smith, aged 96 years, three months and one day. Her death was due to Bright's disease. She was born in the town of Gorham, spending her entire life in this vicinity. For the past few years she has lived with her son, Daniel, at Gorham, where she died. She was a most remarkable woman, being very active for her years and retaining the full possession of her mental faculties till the last. She is survived by one daughter, Mrs. Fred Ebert of this place; five sons, Henry of this village, Daniel of Gorham, Lewis of Penn Yan, John and Edwin of Oklahoma, and one sister, Mrs. Katherine Fritz of Geneva. The funeral services will be held this afternoon at 1 o'clock from her late home. The remains will be taken to the Schuman cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 15 November 1910

Manchester, N. Y. -  Mrs. Elizabeth Smith,
widow of Reuben Smith, and the oldest resident of the village of Manchester, died at her home Sunday night. She lacked only eight months of being 90 years of age. She was born in Nottingham, England, on July 14, 1821. In 1844 she married Reuben Smith at Nottingham, and in 1845 they started for America in a sailing vessel and were 39 days in making the journey between Liverpool and New York. She first lived at Canandaigua for a short time and then came to Manchester where she had since resided, having lived for nearly 61 years in the house where she died. Mrs. Smith was an expert with the needle and up to a short time ago was busily engaged in patching quilts, working sometimes with spectacles and at others without them. In her girlhood days she was considered one of the finest lace makers in England, and was often spoken of as the "famous Nottingham lacemaker." Her husband died 36 years ago and she is survived by three daughters, Mrs. Mary Vickory of Manchester, Mrs. Jerome Allen of Clifton Springs, and Mrs. George Tiffany of Phelps; two sons, Hinman S. and Edward H. Smith of Manchester; three sisters, Mrs. Jackson and Mrs. Brown of Nottingham, and Mrs. Mackley of Michigan; and one brother, George Whittaker of England.

From Ontario County Journal 31 March 1916

The funeral services of Mrs. Elizabeth Smith, aged 79 years, whose death occurred at Canandaigua hospital on Saturday morning, were held at the Salvation Army barracks on Monday. There survive two daughters, Mrs. Charles Barto of Canandaigua, and Mrs. Mary Knightly of Seneca Falls. Interment was in West Avenue cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 26 February 1904

At her home on Bristol street, on Saturday afternoon, occurred the death of Mrs. Elizabeth Burke Smith, wife of Thomas Smith, after a two years' illness from heart trouble. Mrs. Smith was esteemed for many kindly virtues and a large circle of friends share the sorrow which has come to her husband, her sons, L. V. Smith and William Smith; and her three daughters, Mrs. Eugene T. Sweeney of Buffalo, Mrs. William Long of DuBois, Pa., and Miss Julia Smith, who had cared for her mother during her long illness. The death of her son, Rev. L. Augustine Smith, of Wellsville, in 1899, was a sad blow to Mrs. Smith and she was never well after it. The funeral services were largely attended from St. Mary's Church on Wednesday morning. Solemn high mass was celebrated with Rev. J. J. Daely, of Belfast, celebrant, Rev. James T. Dougherty, deacon, Rev. B. J. Gefill, subdeacon, and Rev. P. A. Neville of East Bloomfield, master of ceremonies. Rev. J. J. Donnelley, of Victor, was also in the chancel. Miss Nora Ryan, of Victor, presided at the organ and Edward Ryan, also of Victor, sang.

From Ontario County Journal 18 April 1913

The death of Mrs. Elizabeth Jayne Beeman Smith, wife of L'ewlyn L. Smith, occurred at her home on Catherine street early Sunday morning. Death was due to apoplexy following an illness of several weeks. Mrs. Smith was born in Canandaigua on November 10, 1868, and was a daughter of Elam and Flora Bacon Beeman. She was well-known in the community and highly esteemed. Besides her husband, she leaves a son, Henry L. Smith; and one brother, Henry A. Beeman of Canandaigua. Rev. Guy L. Morrill officiated at the funeral services at the Presbyterian chapel on Tuesday afternoon. A quartet composed of Mrs. Henry C. Mutschler, Miss Merta L. Pressey, Charles Beardsley and Hon. Robert F. Thompson, sang. The bearers were Addison P. Wilbur, Frank C. Sutherland, Acey W. Sutherland, George D. Peck, J. Edward Dayton and Frank Bates. Interment was at Woodlawn.

From Geneva Daily Times 12 April 1910

Canandaigua, N. Y. - Mrs. Ella Shaw Smith,
wife of Albert M. Smith, until recently a resident of Center street in this village, died at 3 o'clock yesterday morning at the private hospital of Dr. Graham in Rochester, following an operation for the removal of a number of tumors. The operation was much more difficult than was expected, as several more tumors were discovered than had been thought present. Mrs. Smith was of the age of 36 years and had always resided in this village and in the Town of Gorham, her home when she was a girl, where she resided with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Norman B. Shaw, who survive. She also leaves four brothers, Dudley of Los Angeles, Cal., and Irving Shaw and Hiram Shaw, who reside in the Town of Gorham, this county.

From Ontario County Journal 7 August 1896

On last Saturday occurred the death of Mrs. Emily W. Adams, wife of Judge James C. Smith, after a lingering illness of about a year. Deceased was aged about 74 years. She is survived by her husband and five children, Hon. Edmund H. Smith of Albany; Arthur E. Smith of Rochester; James C. Smith, Jr. of Detroit; Alice L. Smith of Canandaigua, and Emily James Smith of New York city. The funeral was held Monday.

From Ontario Messenger 20 April 1853

Coroners Inquest -
An inquest was held by coroner Royce, at Farmington, on Friday the 15th instant, on the body of Emmor K. Smith, aged 23 years, the son of Orrin Smith.  The testimony in the case showed that the deceased had returned from Michigan, on the 13th, after an absence of some 6 or 8 weeks. He was sick when he arrived home and complained of being worse on the next day. He retired to bed about 9 or 10 o'clock, in a lower room. At about 12 o'clock, his father was awakened by noise, when he got up and procured a light and found his son had left his bed, he then went upstairs and found him lying on the floor and a razor near him. The substance of the verdict rendered by the jury was, that he came to his death by inflicting a mortal wound on his throat with a razor in his own hand, being sick and not in a sane state of mind, of which wound he then and there instantly died.

From Ontario County Times 30 November 1881

The death of Ephraim Smith, well-known-to our citizens, occurred on the sidewalk near the corner of Main and Clark streets Thursday afternoon about five o'clock under the following circumstances: Mr. Smith and his wife had been attending a family reunion and Thanksgiving dinner at the home of his nephew, O. H. Smith, Gorham street. On his way there he had a spell of faintness and was obliged to rest a few moments, when it passed off, and they arrived at their destination all right. Mr. Smith led in Divine acknowledgment at the table, and seemed particularly well and cheerful. Nothing was thought of his fainting spell as he had been subject to them frequently for several years, and they were only of momentary duration. About five o'clock Mr. and Mrs. Smith started for home, and when part way there, he seemed to feel faint and was obliged to sit down to rest. They soon resumed their journey and had nearly reached home, when he stopped and gradually sank down in the arms of his wife and friends who saw him and came to his aid, and at once breathed his last without a struggle or a murmur. Mr. Smith was in his eighty-ninth year; has been an active and devoted member of the Methodist Episcopal church for over seventy years. He was a man of more than ordinary mind, well versed in scriptural matters, and ever endeavoring to secure converts for the Master by convincing arguments rather than by persuasion. The summons from that Master came suddenly and with prompt obedience. Instead of entering his earthly residence which he had almost reached, he changed his course and without even a look behind, answered at the heavenly gates, "Lord here am I."

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 23 December 1918

Canandaigua, Dec. 22 -
The funeral of Mrs. Florence Smith was held today from the home of W. K. Smith on Park avenue, with Rev. William H. Yard, Methodist pastor, officiating. Mrs. Smith was 64 years of age and died of heart trouble at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Charles Travis, at Canastota, Thursday. She formerly resided in Bristol and Canandaigua for many years. Mrs. Smith leaves a daughter, Mrs. Travis, with whom she resided; a sister, Mrs. Estelle Randall of Rochester; and a brother, Charles Rood, residing in the West.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 15 April 1939

Canandaigua, N. Y. - 
Funeral services for Floyd M. Smith of Cheshire, who died Thursday in Thompson Memorial Hospital here, will be held at 2:30 tomorrow in the Wesleyan Methodist church , Canandaigua, the Rev. Stanley Lawrence officiating. Interment will be in Academy Cemetery. Smith leaves his widow, a daughter and two sons.

From Ontario County Journal 5 July 1878

Mrs. Frances M. Smith, wife of Austin A. Smith, who resided on Chapel street in this village, died suddenly of apoplexy, on Saturday morning last.  Mrs. Smith had been ill through the winter but of late had seemed better in health and her death was quite unexpected. She lived but a few moments after she was taken. She was the mother of Wendell M. Smith, Esq., of Victor, who studied law with Messrs. Comstock & Bennett, of this village and who is now a practicing attorney at Victor. Mrs. Smith was 47 years of age and was an earnest and consistent member of the Presbyterian church. The funeral was held from the residence at the early hour of half past seven on Tuesday in order to convey the remains to Marcellus by train the same morning.

From Geneva Daily Times 29 December 1902

Frank E. Smith, general manager of the Geneva Steam Heating Company, died suddenly at his residence in Genesee street, at 2:50 o'clock this afternoon, aged 48 years.  The cause of death was heart failure. He is survived by his widow and one son. Mr. Smith came to this city a little more than four years ago and organized the steam heating company. He was well and favorably known in business and social circles in this city. He was taken ill Friday last with acute indigestion. The funeral arrangements have not been made.

From Geneva Advertiser 6 January 1903

Frank E. Smith, manager of the city steam heating plant, died at his home on Genesee street Wednesday afternoon, Dec. 31st, of acute indigestion, after an illness of only a few days, so few that hardly any one knew that he was confined to his home. He is survived by his wife and one son, aged about five years. Mr. Smith was a good business man, and popular in all social circles, a member of the "Deadwood Quartette." He came here from Elmira and put in the steam heating plant, supervising the whole of it. Interested with him were Hon. S. H. Hammond, O. J. C. Rose, and other prominent citizens, whose confidence he enjoyed to the utmost. His age was 48 years. The funeral was held from his late home last Friday, and the remains were taken to Elmira for interment. Thus drops out from among us very suddenly a man very highly esteemed by all.

From Shortsville Enterprise January 1919

The death of Franklin Smith, a well-known resident of the village of Manchester, occurred at his home on North avenue at 8 o'clock on Wednesday morning, following an illness of several weeks due to cancer. His age was 67 years. Franklin Smith was born in Manchester on June 20, 1851. He was twice married, his first wife being Miss Granger, of Manchester, with whom he was united in marriage in the year 1875. One daughter was born of this union. On January 3, 1894, he was married to Miss Francis Shaw, of Williamson. Three sons blessed this union. The survivors are one daughter, Mrs. Carrie Allen of Syracuse, and three sons, Walter, Ralph and Milton Smith, all of Manchester. Private Funeral services will be held at his late home this Friday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock, conducted by the Rev. Walter D. St. John, pastor of the Manchester Baptist church. The burial will be made in Brookside Cemetery in Shortsville.

From Shortsville Enterprise 26 May 1911

It is with the profoundest regret that we are called to chronicle the death of Franklin D. Smith, one of the best-known and most highly esteemed farmers of the town of Manchester, which occurred at his home in the northern part of the township on Thursday evening of last week at six o'clock. His death was due to old age, he being nearly 82 years old. Franklin D. Smith was a son of the late Asa and Hannah Poor Smith. He was born on the Smith homestead in this town, and had lived on the farm where he died since the year of 1878. He was Town Clerk of Manchester during the year 1856 and his life had been spent in the pursuit of agriculture. He was a leading member of the M. E. church at Port Gibson.

He is survived by his wife, three sons, Supervisor Edmund W. Smith of Manchester; George Smith and Alden Smith, residents of the town of Phelps; two daughters, Miss Mary Smith, who lives at home, and Mrs. Laura Sturman of Phelps; four brothers, Edmund Smith of Manchester Center, Fred Smith, who resides near Clifton Springs, and Joel Smith, who lives near Lansing, Mich., and Alonzo, living in the northern part of the state of Michigan; also two sisters, Mrs. Louisa Buck of Coldwater, Mich., and Miss Elvira Smith of Manchester. The funeral services were held from his late home on Sunday afternoon at three o'clock and were conducted by the pastor of the M. E. church at Port. Gibson. The burial was made in the Baptist church near Phelps.

From Geneva Daily Times 29 December 1914

Clifton Springs, N. Y. - 
Saturday morning at the farm home, about three miles north of this village, occurred the death of one of the pioneer agriculturists of this vicinity, Frederick C. Smith, at the age of 85 years. Mr. Smith was born in the town of Manchester and had spent the greater part of his life in this vicinity, and had resided on the farm where his death occurred for a long term of years. He is survived by two brothers and one sister; also one daughter and one son. The funeral services were held yesterday afternoon, conducted by Rev. H. B. Reddick, pastor of the Methodist church in the village, and burial was made in the family lot in Pioneer Cemetery, three miles west of this village.

From Shortsville Enterprise 20 July 1916

The death of Freeland W. Smith occurred very suddenly at his home, one-half mile north of Chapin, at 10:30 o'clock last week Wednesday evening. His demise was occasioned by heart disease. He had not been well since February last, when he suffered an attack of la grippe. His age was 58 years. Freeland W. Smith was born at Chapin, a son of the late John and Catherine Smith. For fifteen years he was an employee of the Shortsville Wheel Co. at Littleville, severing his connection with them in April. 1915. At that time he removed to the farm of Benham Brothers near Chapin. The funeral obsequies were held from his late home on Saturday afternoon at 2 o'clock, conducted by the Rev. Mr. Shepard, pastor of the M. E. church in Chapin. The burial followed in Brookside cemetery in this village. The bearers were members of the K. O. T. M., of which order Mr. Smith was a member.

Return to Ontario County Homepage

Copyright © 2003-16, Ontario County NYGenWeb and each contributor and author of materials herein. All rights reserved.