"J" Surname Family Sketches



From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893;

S. D. Jackson, Clifton Springs, was born in Havana, June 8, 1833. He was educated in the schools of Ontario county and Flushing Academy, Long Island. His father, George W. Jackson, conducted a mercantile concern with which S. D. Jackson was identified for some time. He afterward went to St. Paul, Minn., and engaged in real estate transactions. After eight years there he returned to Ontario county, where he has since been engaged in agricultural pursuits and in banking. He owns considerable real estate, etc., besides being the senior member of the banking firm of Jackson & Llewellyn at Clifton Springs, N. Y. Mr. Jackson has served as supervisor of this town from 1875 to 1876. His family consists of a wife and one child.



From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893;

Charles Jeffrey, Farmington, was born in Warwickshire, England, November 29, 1816, and came to the United States in 1833, sailing from Liverpool May 14, landing in New York July 6, remained in the city one year, coming to Farmington in 1834.  February 1, 1843, he married Mary, daughter of Samuel and Hannah Mason of this town.  She died in 1892.  They had two children:  Hannah, who married Henry Herendeen, of Macedon; he died in 1873; and Mary, who married James Carson of this town and have three children:  C. Edward, Sidney J. and Henry H.  This farm owned by Mr. Jeffrey was bought by Samuel Mason from Nathan Comstock, who purchased it of Phelps and Gorham in 1789.  Samuel Mason was born in Swansea RI in 1772, and married in 1797, Hannah Herendeen, at Adams, Mass.  They came here in 1801.



From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893;

Albert Jeudevine, Canandaigua, was born in Canandaigua June 29, 1844, a grandson of William, the first of the family to settle in this country, coming from Charleston with a three horse team.  He located in the town of Richmond in 1805, where he took up a farm.  He lived there until about 1821, when he moved to Canandaigua.  The family is of French extraction.  William had five children:  Henry, William, Luther, Patience, and Ann.  William, the second son, father of our subject, was born in Charleston November 5, 1800, and came with his parents to this State.  He went to Geneva about 1817, and there he worked at his trade until the time his father came to Canandaigua, when he located here and in 1845 bought a farm of sixty-two acres in the village, where he died June 28, 1873.  He was a man of prominence in the town and held many offices.  For nine years he was a trustee of the village and assessor of the town, plank road inspector, and commissioner of highways.  He was a Whig and a Republican.  Besides the old homestead farm, he owned the Wilson farm of eighty acres in Canandaigua, besides land in Michigan and Ohio.  He married Sarah Mascho, and they had seven children, five of whom are living:  Sarah M., Hannah and Frank live on the old homestead; and Charles G. and Albert.  William, the oldest son, died August 4, 1891, aged sixty-six years.  Harriet, the oldest daughter, died June 30, 1889, aged sixty-two years.  Albert was educated in Canandaigua Academy under Prof. Clarke, and took up farming.  His first purchase was his present farm in Canandaigua, where he has erected a beautiful residence and new buildings.  He married in 1875 Emma, daughter of Stephen A. Codding, of Bristol Centre, and they have four children:  Frank H; Mary A.; Albert L.; and Sarah M.



From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893;

C. H. Johnson, Gorham, is a native of Canandaigua, born October 8, 1847.  When two years old he came to Gorham with his parents.  His mother died when the subject was seven years old, and he was reared by J. Wesley Arnold, of Gorham, until sixteen years old, when he enlisted in Company C, Fifteenth New York Cavalry, and served two years and six months.  He was in the battles of New Market, Winchester, and Fisher's Hill, was wounded at the latter place and sent to a hospital, where he remained until his discharge in December, 1865.  He returned to Canandaigua and learned the blacksmith's trade at which he worked for five years.  He then went to Gorham and followed his trade until 1883, when he established a hardware business under the name of C. H. Johnson & Co.  After four years he sold this.  Since 1889 Mr. Johnson has been postmaster at Gorham.  In 1875 he married Lillie, daughter of the late James M. Pulver.  Mr. Johnson is a Republican, a member of the Rushville Lodge No. 377 F. & A. M., of the E. K. O. R., and of the G. A. R. at Gorham, and Sherrell Post No. 313, and has been commander one year.



From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893;

Charles R. Johnson, Canandaigua, was born on the farm where he now resides, February 22, 1848.  The earliest ancestor on the paternal side we find trace of is Ebenezer Johnson, who was born in Litchfield, Conn., in 1734.  He was a soldier in the Revolutionary War and had two sons also in that war, Ebenezer Butler and Rufus.  Ebenezer married Deborah Seeley, daughter of Gideon Seeley, a native of Westchester county NY, who emigrated to Onondaga county.  Ebenezer B. was the father of three sons and a daughter:  Isaac, Samuel, Rufus and Desin.  Rufus was born in 1760, and died in 1822.  He was the father of one son, Rensselaer, who was born May 18, 1797.  He married Betsey Cramer and had one son, Russell Butler, who was born May 18, 1794 (sic), and married February 20, 1817, Betsey Seeley Elliott, and they had six children.  Seymour Van Rensselaer, father of our subject, was the second son.  He was born September 3, 1821.  Russell B. was the first to live in this county, coming here from Onondaga county in 1824, and settling on a farm in East Bloomfield, and in 1829 moved to a farm in Canandaigua, and in 1842 he bought a farm of 150 acres near Centerfield, which has since been in the hands of the family.  Russell B. was justice of the peace for twenty years, colonel of the State militia and temperance speaker.  Seymour V. R. was a man of good education and held many offices in the town.  He was justice of the peace for twenty years and a man who had the confidence of all the people.  He married May 12, 1844, Diana W., daughter of Japheth Stiles, a native and farmer of this town, and had three children:  Harriet A., married Homer A. Davis, a farmer of Canandaigua; Helen R. married Ralph M. Simmons, a farmer of this town, and Charles; Seymour died September 16, 1865.  The whole life of our subject has been spent on the old homestead.  He was educated in Canandaigua Academy under Prof. N. T. Clarke.  Mr. Johnson has always taken an active interest in the politics of his town, and has been the party leader of this section for many years.  In 1885 he was elected assessor of his town, and has held the office continually since, now serving his third term.  He married January 7, 1873, Maggie Fitzmorris, daughter of John Fitzmorris, of East Bloomfield, and they are the parents of one daughter, Mary A. Johnson, now in her fifteenth year.



From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893;

Frank A. Johnson, West Bloomfield, son of Leman A., was born in Cazenovia in 1839.  He has resided in Connecticut, Massachusetts and Michigan, and came to Miller's Corners in 1874, engaging in the mercantile business, and has kept a general store since.  He has been postmaster sixteen years.  He married in 1862 Cornelia Morey Fenner, Madison county, and has two children:  Clinton M. born in 1864, in business with his father; and Myrtie A.


From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893;

Johnson, George, Richmond, was born on the spot where he now resides in 1823.  His father, Sylvester, a native of Dighton, Mass., served as ship carpenter during the War of 1812, and afterwards came here with his wife, Ruth Chase, who died soon after, leaving three children:  James, Hiram, and Abbey.  He married second Beulah Bush, of East Bloomfield, by whom he had two children, Louise, deceased, and George.  The latter was educated at the district schools and at Allen's Hill, under Prof. Rice, and married in 1853 Emeline D. Bailey, of Somerset, Niagara county, who was born at Baptist Hill, in Bristol, in 1830.  They have had four children:   Frank B., born in 1854, died in 1858; Carrie  E., born in 1856, died in 1858; Jennie O., born April 11, 1859, wife of L. A. Mitchell; and Emma C., born September 22, 1860, wife of A. N. Stewart, of Livonia.  Mr. Johnson has a flock of 300 Merino sheep and is engaged in mixed farming.  For the past fifteen years he has bought large quantities of wool, and has been industrious and energetic.



From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893;

John Johnson, Canandaigua, was born on his present farm in Canandaigua, August 19, 1823, a son of Robert, a native of Ireland, who came to this country in 1817.  He first located in Canada, where he spent a year, and then came to Canandaigua, where he bought a farm of fifty acres.  He married, in Canandaigua, Lovina Thurston of Onondaga county, by whom he had one child, John.  The whole life of our subject has been spent on this farm.  He was educated in the common schools and has made a successful farmer, as well as one of the most popular men in the southern part of this town.  After the death of his father in 1864, he took charge of the farm which he has since increased to 122 acres.  He owns besides, a farm of eighty-five acres in Bristol.  He built a very comfortable and pretty residence with barns and outbuildings.  He has never taken an active interest in politics.  He married April 4, 1842, Rachel Sanford of Canandaigua, by whom he had four children, three of whom survive:  Lovina, wife of William Hicks of Bristol; Lyman D. of Cheshire, a contractor and builder; and Herbert E., with a Rochester firm located in Naples.  Mrs. Johnson died October 31, 1855, and he married second, April 2, 1856, Mary E., daughter of Chauncey Curtiss, a native of Connecticut.  They have had three children:  John A., who conducts a vineyard in Canandaigua; Addie O., wife of Frank Foster, died September 12, 1889, aged twenty years; and Jennie A., wife of William Johnson of Cheshire.



From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893;

John A. Johnson, Canandaigua, was born in Canandaigua March 11, 1859, a son of John and Mary (Curtiss) Johnson.  The early life of John A. was spent on the farm, and he was educated in the school at Naples and at Glenwood Institute, Mattewan, N. J.  He assisted his father on the farm and taught school winters until twenty-four years of age, when he bought fifty acres of land by the lake shore.  At the time there were no buildings on the place and only a small portion was under cultivation, but Mr. Johnson has built a beautiful cottage, a substantial and convenient barn and other buildings.  He has set out about 14,000 grape vines, divided among Concords, Delawares and Catawbas, and a few fancy vines.  The vineyard is most favorably situated as by its location he is able to ripen his grapes early.  His Delawares are his most profitable variety.  In 1892 he cut from his vines about fifty tons of grapes and found a market for grapes in Boston.  Mr. Johnson married March 14, 1883, Ida A., daughter of George and Eliza (Ward) Curtiss of Cheshire, and they have one son, Stuart LeRoy Johnson, born December 25, 1883.  Mr. Johnson has never taken a great interest in politics.  He is a member of Canandaigua Grange.



From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893;

Lewis M. Johnson, Canandaigua, was born in Canandaigua May 1, 1856, a son of John L.  The first ancestor of this family was Lewis, grandfather of Lewis M.  He was a native of Monmouth county, N. J., and came to this county when about thirty-five years of age.  He had six children, one of whom survives, Phoebe, widow of Seymour N. Gillette, of Canandaigua.  John L., second son of Lewis, was born December 19, 1820, in Monmouth county NJ, and came when a child with his parents to Gorham where they settled on a farm.  He was educated in the common schools and chose farming for a living.  His father first bought a farm about a mile south of Cheshire where the family spent several years, and then for about fifteen years lived on a farm west of Canandaigua.  In 1846 John L. bought a farm below Cheshire, where he lived until 1876.  In 1878 he moved to Cheshire and lived a retired life, dying here January 14, 1885.  He was a very prominent farmer and took much interest in politics though never an office seeker.  His principal interest was in his home and his farm, and at his death he owned a large quantity of real estate.  He married November 19, 1844, Celestia C., daughter of Milton Gillette, of Canandaigua, who was a native of Connecticut.  Mr. Johnson had four children:  Helen S., the oldest, married Homer Chase of Canandaigua October 10, 1866, and died October 16, 1883; Julia E., married W. D. Crandall of Canandaigua; William S. is a farmer of Canandaigua.  The whole life of Lewis M. has been spent in this town.  He was educated in Canandaigua Academy, Geneseo Normal School, and Eastman's Business College at Poughkeepsie.  He has devoted part of his life to farming, and at the death of his father succeeded to the management of the farm, residing on the homestead in Cheshire.  October 4, 1888, he married Carrie E., daughter of L. M. Spaulding, a farmer of Canandaigua and a native of Gorham.


From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893;

Lewis Mortimer Johnson, Canadice, was born in Conesus, Livingston county, June 8, 1837. His father was George Johnson, born in Vermont, who came with his father, Luke, to Canadice, and settled on Bald Hill in an early day. George married Joanna, daughter of William Fuller, who came here very early. George and his wife had thirteen children, eight sons and five daughters. One brother of Lewis M., William, lives in Canadice, on Hemlock Lake. Lewis M. was educated in the district schools and has always been a farmer. He married in 1861, Chloe Jackman, daughter of Josiah and Luvia Jackman, and they have two sons: Burdett, born September 18, 1863, and Eugene B., born November 7, 1866. The latter is now station and telegraph agent on the Erie railroad at Wallace, Steuben county, while Burdett is now residing home. He is a natural mechanic, and a builder of boats. Mr. Johnson is a Republican and a supporter of the M. E. Church. He owns sixty acres of land on the homestead farm, formerly known as the Short farm.



From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893;

William S. Johnson, Canandaigua, was born on the old homestead, a mile south of Cheshire, September 3, 1862, the second son of John L. and Caroline (Gillette) Johnson.  His early life was spent on the farm and he was educated at Canandaigua Academy.  In 1885, at the death of his father, he succeeded to what was known as the Gelder farm of 266 acres, which he has since conducted.  He married in 1890, Jennie, daughter of John Johnson, of Academy and they have one child, Julia E., who is in her second year.



From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893;

John Johnston, Geneva, was born in Scotland, April 11, 1791.  He came to the United States in 1821, and after traveling about and visiting various localities, he purchased a farm of 112 acres on the east side of Seneca Lake, three miles from Geneva.  To this place Mr. Johnston brought his family, and on the same farm he continued to reside until 1877, when he came to Geneva.  Mr. Johnston was deeply interested in every measure that tended to improve the condition or lighten the labors of the farming community of this country.  He was the first man to use the tile drawing system for improving low or marsh lands, and although he was frequently ridiculed by his neighbors, who said he was burying his money, he nevertheless was the pioneer of a system that afterward came into general use and proved of great benefit to the agriculturists of the whole country.  For this and his general devotion he was presented in 1859 with a valuable and finely fashioned silver water service, consisting of a pitcher and two goblets.  Mr. Johnston was the inventor of the iron scoop shovel, and was the first in this region to use a threshing machine, one of which he constructed and used on his own farm.  The first tile patterns were sent for and procured by him from Scotland.  Mr. Johnston was a successful farmer, beginning with small means but increasing his lands as he was able to do through his earnings, until the homestead farm comprised 306 acres, all well stocked and in a fine state of cultivation, and he kept a flock of sheep, 1,000 in number, in Italy, Yates county, and brought them in the winter to his home farm.  In 1877 Mr. Johnston and his daughters came to reside in Geneva, and here, in November, 1880, at the age of eighty-nine years, he died.  His wife was killed by lightning in 1854.



From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893;

Leonard H. Jones, a native of Bristol, born June 27, 1834, is a son of Elijah, whose father, Seth, was a native of Dighton, Mass. He married a Miss Barrows and had four children. They came to Bristol and settled, and here Mrs. Jones died, and he married second Betsey _____, by whom he had nine children. He was in the War of 1812, and kept a hotel. Elijah was born in Bristol in 1802, and was thrice married, first to Louisa Hathaway, by whom he had three children. Second, in 1833, to Sallie (Hathaway) Reed, by whom he had three children. Mrs. Jones died October 28, 1838, and in 1839 he married third Mary B. Andrews. Mr. Jones was a brigadier general in the State militia. He built the present hotel of Bristol, of which he was proprietor for many years. Leonard H. Jones was educated in the common schools, and in May, 1858, married Lucy A. Francis, a native of McComb county, Mich., born in 1835, a daughter of William Francis, who was one of three children of Seth and Mary (Farrar) Francis, of Dighton, Mass. William Francis married first Martha Evarts, by whom he had three children, and second Fannie (St. John) Johnson, by whom he had three children. He died in 1888, and his wife in 1891. He served eight months in the late war as a musician. Subject and wife have had five children: Frank A., David B., Roswell E., Lamont L., and Martha A. The latter died in infancy. Mr. Jones is a general farmer and owns 150 acres of land in Bristol, and 640 acres in Kansas. He owns a saw-mill, and for five years has been extensively engaged in evaporating apples, the capacity of the evaporator being 300 barrels a day. With the exception of four years spent in Oakland county, Mich., Mr. Jones has resided in Bristol. He is a Republican and has been supervisor seven years, and at present is excise commissioner. He was a Good Templar and a member of the Grange at Bristol. Mr. Jones and wife attend the Universalist church.



From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893;

Prosser Jones, Seneca, was born in the town of Conquest, Cayuga county, April 1, 1832. He was educated in the common schools and has always followed farming. He has married twice, first, June 15, 1853, Catherine Fitch, of Seneca, and came to reside in Ontario county April 4, 1854. They had six children, of whom four grew to maturity: William, Jay, John and George. Mrs. Jones died March 11, 1875, and he married second Mrs. Eliza (Sayle) Rice, of the town of Clarkson, Monroe county. Prosser Jones was born in the town of Berne, Albany county, January 24, 1801, and married Catherine Van Lewein, of Saratoga county, and they had four children: William, Prosser, Augusta, and Laura, who died at the age of four years. His father died in 1850 and his mother in 1880. Mr. Jones was elected road commissioner in 1882 for three years. The ancestry of this family is Welsh, English and Dutch.



From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893;

Mark Jopson, Canandaigua, was born in Worsted, Norfolk county, England, May 14, 1839, and came to this country in 1856. He came to East Bloomfield and worked at farming until 1864, when he bought a farm of seven acres in Bristol. After two years he sold this and bought twenty-six acres which he conducted six years. He then sold it and bought a farm of fifty-two acres in East Bloomfield, which he owned until 1883, then sold it and bought a farm of 103 acres in Gorham. He lived there until 1888, then bought a farm of 128 acres in Canajoharie, where he now lives. He devotes his farm to the raising of grain, vegetables, and stock. He is a firm Republican though he never takes an active interest in politics. Mr. Jopson married, December 25, 1860, Hannah, daughter of Richard Appleton, of East Bloomfield, a native of England, who died in March, 1883. Mrs. Jopson died November 26, 1879, leaving four children: John M., a farmer of Hopewell; Herbert C., Daisey B., and Raymond H. He married second in July, 1881, Elizabeth Tooley, a native of Norfolk, by whom he had two children, George L. and Lillie M.



From The Story of Geneva; compiled by E. Thayles Emmons; 1931;

Dr. Whitman Jordan, who became director of the New York Agricultural Experiment Station in 1896 and who retired in 1921, was born in Raymond, Maine, October 27, 1851. After attending the rural school he attended the Nichols Latin School in Lewiston, Maine. He also graduated from the University of Maine and engaged in graduate work at Cornell University. For a time he was instructor in several schools and colleges and from 1885 to 1896 was Director of the Maine Agricultural Experiment Station. In 1896 he came to Geneva and had a long and successful career as head of the Experiment Station here. After retiring in 1921, Dr. Jordan returned to Orono, Maine, where he died May 8, 1931.



Back to Biographies



Return to the Ontario Co. GenWeb page

                Copyright 2001-15, Ontario County NYGenWeb and each contributor and author of materials herein. All rights reserved.