"He" to "Hi" Surname Family Sketches



From Shortsville Enterprise 13 November 1913

Sydney L. Heath was born in the village of Shortsville on July 22, 1882, and is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Heath, of Booth street. His entire life has been passed within the confines of the Parlor Village. Mr. Heath received a high school training at the Shortsville High School, graduating from that institution with the class of 1901. He later entered Cornell University and was graduated in 1905. He was married April 21, 1908, to Miss Belle Wheeler of Canandaigua.

Mr. Heath is now a member of the firm of the Shortsville Wheel Company and holds the responsible office of sales manager. He is also a member of the firm of Heath & Aldrich, real estate dealers, which firm has done much toward increasing the number of houses in the village. Selling them on easy terms has found them ready buyers, and many comfortable homes have been made possible through their efforts. Mr. Heath has always been interested in the welfare of the village. He served as its President for one term during the year of 1908, and it was through his efforts that waterworks for the Parlor Village were brought about. He is a member of the Masonic lodges of Canandaigua and Palmyra, having reached the degree of Knight Templar.



From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893

John Heaton, Geneva, was born in Liverpool, England, was a miner by occupation. He has followed gardening and farming for some time. He married twice, first Mrs. Ellen Purdy, of Staffordshire, England, and they had five children: Lucy, Leon, Sarah, Alice and Emma. Mrs. Heaton died March 13, 1886, and he married second, March 21, 1893, Fannie E. Whedon, of Geneva. Mrs. Heaton's father, Alphonson Whedon, was born on the old homestead near Crownwell's Hollow, April 30, 1797, was educated in the schools of that early day, and was a farmer by occupation. May 29, 1828, he married Fannie Parke, of the town of Seneca, and they had five children: James L., Eber, Sarah A., Fannie E. and John L. Mrs. Heaton's grandfather, Marsena Whedon, was born in Berkshire county, Mass., and with two brothers bought a large tract of land in the town of Seneca. This family is one of the oldest, and were among the early pioneers. Mrs. Heaton's great-grandfather was impressed in the king's service in colonial times.



From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893

Jacob Heech, West Bloomfield, was born in 1844 in Hesse, Germany. He came with his parents and six brothers and four sisters in 1854 to this country, settling in Henrietta, Monroe county, where his father died in 1879. Jacob lived at home until of age, then worked by the month for twelve years. In 1877 he purchased the property of 156 acres known as the Richards farm, about a mile north of Miller's Corners, which he has since improved and now occupies. In 1877 he married Anna Clara Boerner of Rochester, a native of Germany, and they have one daughter, Clara Augusta. Mrs. Heech's father, Nicholas Boerner, came from Saxony in 1853 with his wife and six children and settled in Rochester.



From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893;

Charles N. Hemiup
, Geneva, was born in Geneva, May 19, 1952, and is descended from pioneer stock in that county.  He was educated in the public schools, entered Hobart College in 1869, and was graduated in 1873, being the valedictorian of the class.  He read law with Judge Dusinberre, and was admitted in 1875 at the October General Term held in Monroe county.  After admission and until July 1, 1879, Mr. Hemiup was the law partner of Judge Dusinberre, since which time he has continued his practice alone.



From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893;

George M. Hemiup, Geneva, was born in Yates county, October 22, 1822. He received a commercial education and for many years was a successful merchant of Geneva. November 12, 1851, he married Maria, oldest daughter of Rev. Seth W. and Maria (Pickering) Remington, then of Geneva. Mr. and Mrs. Hemiup had two daughters: May L., who died at the age of eight years, and Vernie, who married James M. Haley of Brooklyn. Mr. Hemiup's father, Alexander, was born in Geneva in 1799, and married Mary Mills of Havana, N. Y. They had one son and two daughters: George M., Catherine, who married Philip Roof of Eddytown, Yates county; and Cornelia, who married John Roof of the same place. Alexander Hemiup died in 1888, and his wife in the same year. The grandfather, John, was a soldier in the Revolutionary war, and came here with General LaFayette. He had some land given him for his military service, known as the Swan and Johnson tract. Mrs. Hemiup's father, the Rev. Seth W. Remington, was born in Vermont in 1807, and married Maria Pickering, born in Massachusetts, a descendant of Col. Timothy Pickering. They had four sons and two daughters. Six grew to maturity: Chauncey P., Maria, Pierpont, William, Josephine and Lamartine. The late Col. S. Pierpont Remington served with distinction in the War of the Revolution. Mrs. Hemiup has written many articles of a scientific nature for the public press which attracted much notice, and is the author of a book entitled "Law of Heat," which has been received with a great deal of interest and has been much commended, and is now preserved in the educational exhibits of the State at Albany. Her name is recorded in the dictionary of English and American authors.



From The Story of Geneva; compiled by E. Thayles Emmons; 1931;

John Hemiup, who was another of Geneva's prominent citizens in the early days, first came to this country with General Lafayette and became a soldier in the Revolutionary War. Mr. Hemiup was of French and German descent and was born in Alsace. After the close of the war he was awarded a grant of land of 1,280 acres of land situated at the foot of Seneca Lake in the portion which later became Seneca County. Mr. Hemiup came to Geneva, as early as 1799, but so far as is known he never occupied the land which had been given him. It was sold and later became known as the Swan and Johnson property. John Hemiup married Charlotte Van Dolan, a Holland Dutch woman. He died soon thereafter, leaving her with three children, Anthony, George and Alexander. Anthony later became one of Geneva's well known merchants, his store being where the Geneva Trust Company now is. George Hemiup was the father of Charles L., Morris and Margaret. Morris was the father of Charles N. Hemiup, who became one of Geneva's best known lawyers and who died in 1908. Miss Eva Hemiup, a cousin, is still living. She is a daughter of Charles L. Hemiup. The other son, Alexander, went to Penn Yan and was the father of three children, two daughters and a son. The son, George H., came to Geneva as a boy and clerked in the store of Anthony Hemiup and later married Maria, the daughter of the Rev. Seth W. Remington, pastor of the Universalist church. Mr. Hemiup retired from business in 1836.



From The Story of Geneva; compiled by E. Thayles Emmons; 1931;

David H. Henry was born in Bennington, Vt., 1848, and came to Geneva in 1865, and became interested in the nursery business. He was a member of the firm of Sears, Henry & Co. Another large enterprise in which Mr. Henry engaged in later years was the Geneva Cutlery Co., which was established in 1901. Just previous to and during the World War this Company was most active and Mr. Henry was its president and one of the largest stockholders. Mr. Henry has been associated with a number of local business interests, has been president of the Chamber of Commerce and has served on the Board of Public Works. For a number of years past he has been chairman of the Board of Assessors.



From The Story of Geneva; compiled by E. Thayles Emmons; 1931;

Albert H. Herendeen, son of Lemuel Herendeen, was born in Farmington June 19, 1868. He attended the public schools and Hobart College, from which he graduated in 1887. He then became a clerk in his father's nursery office and in 1892 started a retail trade in nursery stock under the firm name of A. H. Herendeen & Co., and continued until his father died. He then succeeded his father in the firm of Sears, Henry & Co., which he operated for a number of years. He was a Republican and was Geneva's first mayor, being elected in 1897 and again in 1899. Mr. Herendeen died December 15, 1923.



From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893;

Charles H. Herendeen, Farmington, was born on the farm which he owns, and on which he resides, June 13, 1840. He was educated in the public schools and Macedon Academy, and is a farmer. In politics he is a Democrat, and was elected supervisor of the town in the spring of 1892, the first Democrat in thirteen years, and has been reelected. December 18, 1862, he married Julia M., daughter of Proctor and Mary L. Newton of the town of Manchester. Mr. Herendeen's father, W. Wilkinson, was born on the old homestead July 10, 1810, was educated in the common schools, and was a farmer. January 12, 1832, he married Caroline L. Arnold of this town, and had two children: William R., died in infancy, and Charles H. Mr. Herendeen's grandfather, was born in Berkshire county, Mass., April 18, 1768. He married twice, first in 1794, Elizabeth, daughter of Gideon and Anna Durfee, of Palmyra. May 18, 1806, he married second, Mercey Gardner, and they had three children. The Herendeen family of the old stock belonged to the Friends. Mrs. Herendeen's father, Proctor Newton, was born in Suffield, Conn., June 16, 1799. May 4, 1823, he married Mary Larned, who was born March 16, 1801, and came to the town of Hopewell in the year 1830. They had seven children. The family are all Baptists. Mr. Herendeen's father died December 16, 1892, and his mother May 8, 1887. Mrs. Herendeen's father died May 15, 1878, and her mother July 13, 1884. The Herendeen family entered their new log house in this town March 15, 1790.



From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893;

James Herendeen, Farmington, father of Amy A. Herendeen, was born in the town of Danby, Rutland county, Vt., September 1, 1788, and came with his parents here when he was two years old. His wife was Elizabeth, daughter of Richard and Mary Shotwell, and was born in Springfield, Essex county. They had six children: Vania, born November 30, 1816; Mary, born September 10, 1819; Richard H., born April 20, 1822; Elizabeth, born January 10, 1824; Amy A., born March 19, 1829; and James W., born April 18, 1831. Gideon O. Herendeen, who is a farmer for Amy A., was born in Palmyra, Wayne county, November 27, 1830, and went to Michigan with his parents when he was thirteen years old. December 7, 1854, he married Caroline N. Kidder, of that State, and they have two sons, William W. and Clarence N.; both are good business men in Michigan. Mr. Herendeen's father, Welcome, was the first white child born in Farmington. He married twice, the second time to Elizabeth Burchard, and had three children: Phoebe E., who married Isaac H. Kellogg, of Michigan; David B. who married Ann Palmer, of that State; and Gideon O.



From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893;

Lemuel Herendeen, Geneva, son of Gideon and Bersheba Herendeen, was born in Farmington, at the old homestead, May 15, 1833. He was educated in the public school and in the Friends' Boarding School at Providence, R. I. He was married twice, first, November 9, 1861, Eliza, daughter of Benjamin and Margaret Newman, of Victor, and they had three children, two of whom are living: Albert H. and Florence. Mrs. Herendeen died December 7, 1885. Mr. Herendeen came to Geneva in 1869 and went into the nursery business with Eli A. Bronson, and continued this for three years, under the firm name of Bronson & Herendeen. At the expiration of this time Mr. Herendeen sold his interest to Mr. Hopkins. He then went into the same business with Sears and Henry, under the firm name of Sears, Henry & Co. They have extensive nurseries of over 200 acres, in fine cultivation. January 16, 1889, he married second Anna N., second daughter of David and Elizabeth Peters, of Ithaca. Mr. Herendeen's mother, Bersheba, was an appointed minister of the Orthodox Friends in the United States and Canada. Mr. Herendeen has been elected four times as county superintendent of the poor. He attended the M. E. church fifteen years, was trustee six years and superintendent of the Sunday-school four years. He has now united with the North Presbyterian church. Mrs. Herendeen is president of the Women's Auxiliary of the Y. M. C. A.



From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893;

Nathaniel C. Herendeen, Farmington, fourth child of Edward and Harriet Herendeen, was born August 2, 1827, in Farmington. He was educated in the common schools, and when fourteen years old had a severe fit of sickness which rendered him lame for life. October 11, 1858, he married Helen M., daughter of Esquire and Esther Thomas of his native town. She died July 8, 1878. They had four children: Roswell C., born June 20, 1860; Mary E., born April 1, 1864, married August 13, 1885, William McComb of Manchester, now of Chicago, Ill., a machinist, and they had one son, who died in infancy, and one daughter, Frances W.; Samuel died in infancy; and Lydia M., born April 15, 1866, who married March 16, 1887, Charles E. Harrington, of Manchester, and they had two children: Helen M., born December 28, 1888; and Nathaniel C., born June 20, 1892. The ancestry of this branch of the family is Welsh and Scotch.



From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893;

Oscar D. Herendeen, was born on the old homestead in the south part of the town of Farmington, March 30, 1841, was educated in the common schools and the Friends Boarding School at Union Springs, and through the early years of his life was a farmer. March 13, 1860, he married Anne E., daughter of Peter and Rebecca Smith of Farmington, and they have one son, Louis D., born June 25, 1863. He was educated in the public schools, Macedon and Lima Seminaries, and November 22, 1886, married Minnie I., daughter of Morey E. and Esther Power, of their native town. They have one son, Howard D., who was born July 29, 1887. Nathan G., father of Oscar D., was born in Farmington on the old place, February 21, 1813, and married Jane Sage of Hopewell. She was born May 31, 1816. They had four children: Marietta, Welcome G., Oscar D., and Caroline E. Nathan died February 22, 1855, and his wife April 15, 1854. Mr. Herendeen's grandfather, Welcome, was born in Smithfield, R. I., April 18, 1768. In 1769 his father moved his family to Adams, Mass., and in 1790 came to Farmington. He was twice married, first in 1794, to Elizabeth Durfee of Palmyra, by whom he had five children: Edward, Gideon, Anna, Huldah and Durfee. Mrs. Herendeen died in 1804, and he married in 1806 Mercy Gardner, who was born January 1, 1772, and they had three children: Elizabeth, Welcome W. and Nathan G. Mrs. Annie R. Herendeen's father, Peter Smith, was born on the old Smith homestead in Farmington, November 23, 1817, and in 1837 married Rebecca Mills, and had four children: Sarah E., Annie E., Abigail and John Q. Mr. Smith's father, Levi, was born in Adams, Mass., in 1774 and came to this State when a young man, where he married in 1798 Tabitha Culver and had ten children. Mrs. Smith's grandfather was in the Revolutionary army. 



From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893;

Wilkinson A. Herendeen, Farmington, was born Jan. 29, 1835. He was educated in the public schools, and has followed farming. February 10, 1858, he married Elizabeth, daughter of Alanson and Elizabeth Goodnow, of Ontario, Wayne county. They have had four children: Edward J., who died in his twenty-first year; Charles W., who married Mary A. Tuttle, of this town, and had four children: Elizabeth, Mabel, Edward W. and Ruth C.; Harriet E. and Florence E. are residing at home with their parents. Mr. Herendeen's father, Edward, was born in the southeast part of the town February 10, 1785, and was a farmer. He was county superintendent of the poor seventeen years. March 8, 1821, he married Harriet Cudworth, of the town of Bristol. They had eleven children: G. Maria, Lydia S., Nathaniel C., Mary E., Huldah A., Wilkinson, who died young, Wilkinson A., Welcome D., Gideon D., Edward F., and Henry M., who died in infancy; Mary also died when she was thirteen years old. Mr. Herendeen's grandfather, Welcome, was born in the town of Smithfield, R. I., and went with his father to Adams, Mass., in 1769, then to Farmington in 1790. He married Elizabeth Durphy, of Palmyra, and had five children: Edward, Gideon, Anna, Huldah, and Durphy. His great-grandfather, Nathan, was born in the town of Cumberland, R. I., in 1741. He was the father of Welcome, who went with him to Massachusetts, and he traded property in the above place for 1,000 acres in Farmington, and came with his family here in 1790. Mrs. Herendeen's father, Alanson Goodnow, was born May 24, 1796. May 8, 1822, he married Elizabeth Stewart, of Niagara, Upper Canada. They had ten children: Miranda, Charles, Alanson, jr., William, Willis, Andrew J., Elizabeth E., Truman W., Josephus and Lucius. Mrs. Herendeen's grandfather was a soldier in the War of 1812. The ancestry of the family is Danish.



From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893;

Earl P. Herrington, Canandaigua, was born in Hoosick, Rensselaer county, December 4, 1833, and is a direct descendant of Elder Herrington, on of the Pilgrim fathers who was sent into Rhode Island, and where the grandfather of our subject, Philip, was born about 1760. He had nine children, of whom Elijah, father of Earl P., was the fourth son. There is still one of these children living, Philip Herrington of Hoosick. Elijah was born in Hoosick, November 3, 1801, and married in 1827 Mary Pirce of Rensselaer county. In 1841 he came to Ontario county, and May 11 of that year he bought a farm of eighty acres in Canandaigua, where the family has ever since lived. He had six children, four of whom survive: Philip, of Michigan; William H. of Rochester; Sarah, wife of Walter S. Davis, and Earl P. From the time Earl was eight years old his life has been spent in this town. He was educated at Genesee Wesleyan Seminary at Lima, and learned the carpenter's trade, which he followed until the death of his father, May 12, 1879, when he returned to the old homestead and conducted the farm. Mr. Herrington has always taken an active interest in church work, and he and his family are members of the Baptist church of Canandaigua. He married, February 26, 1867, Elizabeth, daughter of Philip Neff of Monroe county, and  they have one son, Leander Earl, born December 3, 1881.



From The Story of Geneva; compiled by E. Thayles Emmons; 1931;

John Heslop was an early settler and prominent man. He resided a little west of the southwest part of the village. He was first a clerk of Mr. Wadsworth. He entered the Geneva Land Office a short time before the close of Captain Williamson's agency; by power of attorney by Robert Troup. February 1, 1802, was made sub-agent. He died on a visit to his native country, England.



From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893;

George Hickox, Canandaigua, was born in Canandaigua on the farm now occupied by the L. H. Tillotson heirs, December 20, 1802. The founder of the family in this country was one Stephen Hickox, who emigrated to this country from England and settled in Granville, Hampshire county, Mass. He married Lydia Spellman, and died in Granville during the Revolution. His son, Levi Hickox, was born in Granville, April 27, 1751, and married Sybil Moore, born in Middletown, Conn., September 26, 1747. They had nine children. He died January 7, 1811, and his wife December 29, 1801. He was a soldier in the Revolutionary war, and was with Washington while at Trenton. He was a man of prominence in public affairs, and was the first road commissioner in this town. The third son, and father of our subject, George Hickox, was born January 25, 1772, at Granville, Mass. He was captain of militia in the war of 1812, and was called out at the time of the raid at Buffalo (in 1813.) He married, January 20, 1798, Eunice Holcomb, who came from Massachusetts in 1793, and opened school in a log school house in Canandaigua. They had four sons and five daughters. George, the eldest son, has always made his home in Canandaigua. He takes an active interest in church work, assisting with the Methodist church in 1833, and for over twenty-five years was a steward of the church. He was a Whig, but has for a great many years been a Democrat. He married, February 25, 1828, Mary Adah Mallory, of Huguenot descent who was born at Milford, Conn., September 20, 1808. She died February 14, 1892, mourned by the whole community. She was granddaughter of a Revolutionary soldier who fought at Ticonderoga, Crown Point, and other memorable battles. Mr. Hickox has had three sons and a daughter: George S., Henry Bradford, James S. and Mary D. The daughter last named has been prominent as a teacher for about fifteen years, having been educated at Macedon Academy and Ontario Female Seminary. She has been preceptress of Walworth and Mexico Academies and of Ontario Female Academy, an institution that was succeeded by Granger Place School in 1874.



From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893;

George S. Hickox, Canandaigua, oldest son of Capt. George Hickox, was born near Cheshire, March 30, 1829. His boyhood was spent on his father's farm, and was educated in the common schools, Canandaigua Academy, East Bloomfield Academy and Wesleyan Seminary at Lima. He taught district schools a number of winters and attended school during the summer terms. He made his home on his father's farm until 1864, when he married and settled on the farm where his brother, James S., now resides. He lived here for seven years and then sold to his brother, buying the Walker farm, where he has ever since resided. In 1884 he built his beautiful residence. Mr. Hickox has always taken an active interest in politics, and was elected on the minority ticket for commissioner of highways from 1872 to 1881. He is greatly interested in the breeding of American Merino sheep, a business he has been engaged in ever since he began farming. He is chairman of the Executive Board of the American Merino Sheep Breeders' Association of New York State, of which he is a life member. In 1887-88 was vice-president of the Western New York Agricultural Society. In 1891 he was elected president of the Ontario County Agricultural Society and re-elected in 1892 to the same position. He is also a member of the Congregational church of Canandaigua. Mr. Hickox married in March, 1864, Anna E., daughter of Jacob Smith of Canandaigua, and they have had five children; but one son now survives, George B., a teacher at Bristol Springs.



From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893;

Henry Bradford Hickox, Canandaigua, was born in Canandaigua January 19, 1833, a son of Capt. George Hickox, of this town. Henry was educated in the common schools, Canandaigua Academy and at Macedon Academy. After leaving school he assisted his father on the farm and taught school until twenty-five years of age. He leased a farm one year and in 1859, in partnership with his brother, James S., bought his present farm on 142 acres. Later he bought out the interest of his brother and has since conducted it alone as a grain and stock farm, having made many improvements in the place. Mr. Hickox is a Democrat. He married in 1858, Letitia, daughter of John Adams of Canandaigua. She died August 8, 1889, and he took for his second wife Alice C., daughter of T. B. Remington, of Canandaigua.



From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893;

James S. Hickox, Canandaigua, second son of Captain George, was born August 10, 1830, near Cheshire. His boyhood was spent on his father's farm, and he received an education in the common schools and at Canandaigua Academy. Commencing at the age of eighteen he was for ten winters a teacher in the district schools of Canandaigua. On reaching his majority he was given an interest in the father's farm, and continued to live with him until 1859, when he in partnership with his brother, H. Bradford, bought the farm where H. B. still lives. This partnership existed until 1871, when he bought the farm of 125 acres where he now resides. In 1885 he erected one of the finest residences in western Canandaigua. Mr. Hickox has always taken an active interest in politics, and was justice of the peace from 1864 to 1874. In 1875 he was elected on the Democratic ticket supervisor. He served his town well while on the board, and was a chairman of the Committee of Public Buildings and member of other committees. Mr. Hickox was for three years, from 1876 -79, president of the Ontario County Agricultural Society, and was chairman of the building committee at the time the present buildings were erected. Like his father, he has for thirty years been interested in breeding American Merino sheep, and has taken as many premiums as any breeder in the county, and has held many offices with the society. He has been elder of the Presbyterian church of Canandaigua for fifteen years. He married in 1860 Mary A., daughter of the late Joel Wolverton, and they have three children: N. Adah, wife of P. T. Hartmann, a dry goods merchant of Lyons; Ellis A., and James S., jr., a student of Canandaigua Academy.



From Ontario County Times 9 December 1868

Among the few families which, in the year 1794, emigrated from New England to Western New York, then an almost unbroken wilderness, were those of Cornell and Hicks, who located in what is now the town of Bristol. Among the children of these two families, were Aaron Hicks and Hannah Cornell. Aaron and Hannah were married in the year 1811, and settled upon the farm still occupied by them in Bristol, where they have resided upwards of fifty-seven years. They have had ten children -- one daughter and nine sons. The daughter died at the age of 36. The youngest son died when about two years old; and another son, the Rev. Francis E. Hicks, (a Universalist clergyman,) died at Lowell, Mass., in 1864. There remains yet living seven sons, six of whom still reside in this County. One, Lawrence Hicks, is a carpenter and joiner residing in Nunda, Livingston County. Flavius J., Benjamin and Isaiah, are farmers residing in Bristol. Walter S. is a successful physician and surgeon, residing in the same town. Stephen C. is one of the efficient constable and police force of Canandaigua; and the youngest, Edwin, is our present popular District Attorney, who was re-elected to this honorable and responsible position by the Republican party of old Ontario, at the general election in 1866.

The birthday of the old and highly respected father, Aaron Hicks, occurring on Saturday, the 12th of this month, he having arrived at the ripe old age of 80, and Mrs. Hicks about 76, the sons conceived the idea of gathering at the old homestead and having a surprise party on that day. Accordingly there assembled, on the morning of that remarkable day, the seven sons, six grandchildren, and seventeen other near relatives -- thirty persons in all -- to pay their respects to this venerable couple, and enjoy an old-fashioned visit there. Old scenes and occurrences were revived and talked over, and the merits of a good dialog (such as Bristol people know how to provide,) were ably discussed, and a merry, happy time experienced by all present.



From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893;

Charles M. Hicks, Gorham, is a native of Macedon, Wayne county, born June, 1838. His father, Joshua, was a son of Simeon, a native of Long Island, who moved to Wayne county in an early day and there owned a large farm. His wife was a Miss Clifford, and they had two sons and one daughter. They died in Macedon. Joshua was a prominent citizen of that place, a manufacturer of fanning mills and a farmer, a well-informed man and a great reader. He was twice married; first to a Miss Frye, of Montgomery county, by whom he had two sons and one daughter; and second to Analine (Mapes) Stearns, by whom he had one child, Charles M. Joshua Hicks was killed by a team of horses in 1833. Mrs. Hicks was a daughter of Israel Mapes, a native of Coxsackie. Mrs. Hicks died October 16, 1874. Charles M. was educated in Walworth Academy, has always been a great reader, and is a well-informed man. He was first engaged for about six years in the nursery business with T. G. Yeomans, of Walworth. In 1861 he came to Gorham with his mother. He now owns a farm of 280 acres, known as the Stearns homestead, on which he has made many improvements, including forty acres of orchards. He has always given liberally to the public. He is a Republican in politics.



From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893;

W. Scott Hicks, M. D., Bristol, is a native of Bristol, born September 18, 1827, and a son of Aaron, a son of Jabez, a son of Aaron, who was a native of Rehoboth, Mass., and who came to Bristol about 1800. Jabez Hicks was a native of Dighton, Mass., and there married Nancy Francis, born July 8, 1767. They came to New York in 1796, and settled at Bristol. He held various offices and was many years a deacon in the Baptist Church. Aaron was born December 12, 1788, in Dighton, Mass., and was eight years old when he came to Bristol. January 1, 1812, he married Hannah Cornell, born January 5, 1795, a daughter of Stephen Cornell, who traced his ancestry back to 1638, and who was a cousin to Ezra Cornell of Cornell University. Mr. Cornell died March 1, 1809, and his wife January 21, 1854. Aaron Hicks had nine sons and a daughter. Mr. Hicks owned a farm in Bristol, where he died. He was a Whig and Republican and held the offices of assessor, highway commissioner, supervisor and commissioner of deeds. He died April 9, 1872, and his wife April 2, 1874. Dr. W. Scott Hicks was reared on a farm until sixteen years of age, and then engaged as clerk at Honeoye, remaining until twenty-one. He then began the study of medicine with Dr. E. W. Simmons of Bristol, and attended a course of lectures at Geneva Medical College, and in 1851 graduated from the Medical Department of Buffalo University. He then located at Bristol, where he has since practiced his profession. He is a member of the New York State Medical Association, Central New York Medical Society and Ontario County Medical Society. October 13, 1853, Dr. Hicks married Eleanor A. Mason, a native of Bristol, and daughter of Francis Mason. Dr. Hicks has been a Republican since the organization of that party, and has held various offices. He was commissioner of loans for Ontario county, and was once a member of the Sons of Temperance, and a Good Templar. He signed a pledge under General Riley in 1844, and has always been an active temperance worker. He and wife are members of the Universalist Church at Bristol, of which Dr. Hicks has been clerk many years. He is also a member of the First Universalist Society of Bristol, and clerk of that body. The Hicks family is of English descent and traces its ancestry to Robert Hicks, who came from England on the Fortune November 11, 1621. He was a son of James, who was a descendant of Ellis Hicks, who was knighted by Edward, the Black Prince, on the battlefield of Poietiers, September 9, 1356, for bravery in capturing a set of colors from the French. The wife and children of Robert Hicks came on the ship Ann and arrived at Plymouth in July, 1622. The family settled in Duxbury, Mass., and two sons, John and Stephen, settled on Long Island about 1642.



From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893;

William A. Higinbotham, Victor, was born in Williamsburg, N. Y., November 20, 1852, and came with his parents to East Bloomfield when he was about two years old. He was educated in the common schools and East Bloomfield Academy, and when a young man was a clerk in his father's store. In the year 1875 he became a partner in the firm of F. Munson & Co., general merchants, continuing the business until 1882. In 1883 he removed to Victor, N. Y., and became the junior member of the banking firm of Parmele, Hamlin & Co. In 1888 the above firm was dissolved, and was succeeded by Higinbotham and Wilbur, who now conduct the business. October 2, 1878, Mr. Higinbotham married Anna B., daughter of Henry W. and Sybil S. Hamlin, of East Bloomfield. They have had five children: Jessie, who died at the age of seven years, Robert G., Agnes, Annie and George. Mr. Higinbotham's father, George, was born in County Cavan, Ireland, and came to the United States when a young man, locating in New York city. Was a clerk in the office of the Evening Post for some years when Wm. C. Bryant had editorial charge of it. He afterwards moved to East Bloomfield, where he was a respected merchant until he died in 1887. He was identified with every measure that helped to elevate mankind. He was twice married, first to Catherine Adsit, of Valatie, Columbia county, by whom he had four children: George, William A., Frederick and Annie. Mrs. Higinbotham died in 1886. His second wife was Magdalena Mast, of East Bloomfield, by whom he had one daughter, Jennie M.



From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893;

John E. Hildreth, Geneva, was born in Geneva, July 24, 1842, was educated in the public schools and by occupation brought up in the nursery business and is an expert grafter in all varieties of that branch of the business. He was married twice, first on January 28, 1865, Sarah Davenport of Shannon, Yates county, and they had six children: Mary E., Paul R., Ebenezer J., Phoebe A., Lois V., and Laura S. Mrs. Hildreth died in 1881. For his second wife he married in 1885, Caroline, sister of his first wife, and they had one son, Aaron B. Mr. Hildreth's father, Isaac, was born in Shaftsburg, Vt., June 9, 1815, and came to this State when a young man, coming on the Erie Canal packet. He married twice, first Rachael La Merion, and they had two children: Laura and Rachael. For his second wife he married Phoebe A. Cunningham and had the following children: John E., Isaac, jr., Paul R. and Almena. Isaac, jr., and Paul R. were soldiers in the late war. Mr. Hildreth's father, Isaac, was the first man that started a nursery in Geneva, was also the first man that started peach orchards and vineyards on Seneca lake and was the pioneer that led the way in taking fruit trees to California in 1850. George Freer was his partner. He died May 18, 1865. His wife survives him.



From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893;

Charles G. Hill, Victor, was born in the old homestead August 2, 1854, was educated in the public school, and is a farmer. March 8, 1885, he married Sarah Gougerty of Victor, and they have two children: Gregory C., and a son not named.



From Victor Herald 30 March 1900

Gregory Hill, was born in Wethersfield, Vermont, May 1, 1793, and came to the town of Victor in 1812, purchasing twelve acres of land across the road, opposite the residence on the homestead farm. He cleared up his small holding, worked for neighbors and others until he was able to buy more land,
which course he pursued, until after many years of hard work, he owned about 700 acres of land in that vicinity. At the time Hill came to Victor, the western part of the town was called the "openings" from the fact that the land was of a sandy nature and lightly timbered, much of it having been repeatedly burnt over and overgrown with scrub brush, being easily cleared for tillage, and at the time of early occupation not considered very profitable or desirable, having since become the most profitable crop-producing part of the town. In 1822, Mr. Hill married Lovina Lusk, daughter of Asahel Lusk, then living on the farm now owned by William Peck. They were married at the house of a friend, at what is known as "Goff's Corners," about a mile west from Mendon, riding there in a sleigh, which is yet in a good state of preservation and in the possession of his son, William H. Hill. He raised a family of eight children, five boys and three girls, of whom George W. Hill, of this village, and William H. Hill are the only survivors. It is stated that about the time Mr. Hill came to Victor and for some time afterward, wild game and Indians were plenty, and Mrs. Hill has stated that the bears would sometimes push aside the blanket door of their house and look in, while the Indians would frequently call and ask for a loaf of bread, which was never refused.



From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893;

Jerome Hill
, Victor, was born on the home farm September 26, 1824, was educated in the public schools, and followed farming.  January 22, 1846, he married Clarissa J., daughter of Cyrus and Polly Webster, of East Mendon, and they had six children:  Emily S. who was married twice, first to Jerome Campbell, and had two children, Henry C. and Frank J., and her second husband was Palmer Cummings, and has no children; Sarah Elvina married Hiram French of Victor, now left a widow in LeMoure, North Dakota, and her five children, Howard G., Edward K., Aribelle, Olive L. and Addie L., all living; Mary Esther, who resides at home; Charles Gregory married Sarah Gougarty, has two children, Gregory C. and Charles C.; Ella J. married Sidney Pimm, had three children, Millie L. died when six weeks old, Vel McDell, and Earl Jerome, living, Mrs. Pimm died at the age of twenty-nine years; Homer J. married Francis Buckley of Victor.  Mrs. Hill's father, Cyrus Webster, was born in Massachusetts, November 27, 1791, and married Polly Stiles of this county December 29, 1814.  She was born April 1, 1793.  They came to Mendon the year they were married, and had nine children:  John C.; Milo S.; Trizah E.; Henry M., Clarissa J., Julia S.; Sarah A.; and Mary Ette, who died when two years old; second Mary Ette now living.



From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893;

Wallace A. Hill, Victor, was born in Victor.  He was educated in the public schools, Lima Seminary, and Poughkeepsie Business University and is a farmer.  He married Cassie Stull, of Victor, and they have two children:  Maude L. and Lysander H.  Mrs. Hill's father, Homer Stull, was born at Rouch Junction, Monroe county, in 1833.  He married twice, first June 6, 1860, Hattie Murray, and had two children;  Jessie, who died in infancy, and Cassie.  In 1868 he married second, Mary Otto, of Rochester, and they had four children:  Belle, Minna, Myra A. and Lelia E.  Mr. Stull died at Mountain Home, Idaho, February 4, 1890.  Mrs. Stull and part of the family reside in Kansas City.  Mr. Hill's father, Lysander, was born on the old homestead in Victor November 3, 1832, and was educated in the public schools.  March 25, 1861, he married Louisa Benson, of the town of Mendon, and they had three children:  Willis G., Wallace A. (twins), and Maude L., who died February 9, 1875.  Willis G. married Margaret Cline, and they have one daughter, Ruth W.  Mr. Hill is a Republican in politics.



From The Story of Geneva; compiled by E. Thayles Emmons; 1931;

General Thomas Hillhouse was a prominent figure in local affairs and also came to have a national repute. Besides being identified with the banking interests of Geneva, he represented the Ontario District in the State Senate of 1860 to 1862. He was for a time Adjutant General of the State and a little later was called to be Assistant Treasurer of the United States. In 1880 General Hillhouse founded the Metropolitan Trust Company of New York. He was afterward chosen its president and gave to it valuable service. General Hillhouse died in New York.



Return to Ontario County Homepage

Copyright © 2007-08, Ontario County NYGenWeb and each contributor and author of materials herein. All rights reserved.
082707

Updated 18 November 2007