"Hil" to "Hiz" Obituaries

From Ontario County Journal 6 December 1901

Amos Hilborn
died at his home on Buffalo street yesterday morning from typhoid fever. He was 42 years of age and leaves a wife (who is very low with typhoid) and four small children.

From Ontario County Chronicle 16 November 1904

Honeoye, N. Y. - Eliza J. Hilborn,
wife of Wm. Hilborn, died suddenly at her home Friday night, Nov. 11, aged 70 years and 9 months. Mrs. Hilborn was born in Livonia, Livingston county. She had lived in Richmond over 50 years. Although she had been in poor health for some time, her sudden death was a great shock to her friends. Besides her husband, she leaves three children, Mrs. Burdett Bray of Pennsylvania; Mrs. Winsor of Sioux City, Iowa, and Mark Hilborn and several grandchildren to mourn her loss.

From Geneva Daily Times 1 October 1922

Fred Hildreth,
30 years of age, of Manchester, was almost instantly killed Saturday night and Mr. and Mrs. Samuel G. Spendlove of 56 High street, this city, and George Maloney of Manchester were injured when a motorcycle with sidecar attached, driven by Hildreth, collided headon with the Spendlove car at a point in the Manchester-Palmyra highway three miles north of Manchester. Mr. Maloney and Fred Smith occupied the sidecar of the motorcycle which was being driven by Hildreth  at a high rate of speed according to officers of the State Constabulary, who investigated the circumstances surrounding the mishap. A new Durand, driven by  Mr. Spendlove, suddenly appeared at a turn in the highway and Hildreth was unable to dodge it. The car and cycle came together with a tremendous crash, the force of the impact hurling the motorcycle riders several feet and turning the automobile over in a ditch alongside the road. Hildreth was dead when he was picked up by passing motorists, while Maloney was found to be suffering from severe cuts across the face. Mr. Spendlove was cut about the hand and arms and Mrs. Spendlove suffered a broken arm. Maloney was taken to the Canandaigua Hospital, while Mr. and Mrs. Spendlove were brought to their homes in this city, where they secured medical assistance. Smith was uninjured and walked away from the scene of the accident. The motorcycle was completely wrecked and the Spendlove car badly damaged. Hildreth is said to have had Mr. Smith as his supper guest at a Manchester restaurant a short time before the accident. Maloney was picked up a short time later and the party, with Maloney and Smith in the sidecar, left for Palmyra at about 7:40 o'clock. The accident happened a few minutes later.

The dead man is survived by one brother in Holley and three sisters, one in Rochester, one in Phelps and one in Clifton Springs. Mr. Hildreth had been employed in Manchester for nearly eighteen years and was very well-known there. He worked as an electrician for the Red Jacket Telephone Company and the Lehigh Valley Railroad Company.

From Clifton Springs Press 13 October 1921

Mrs. Rosella Taylor Hildreth,
aged 72 years, passed away on Monday at 7:30 a.m., October 10th, at the home of J. Schlecht. She was the widow of Caleb T. Hildreth, who passed away twelve days before. She leaves one sister, Mrs. Alvina Stell of Fairville; four daughters, Mrs. Nina Skuse, Mrs. Warner and Mrs. Lucy Schanz of Clifton Springs, and Mrs. Lillie Bornkessel of Rochester; and two sons, Frank Hildreth of Clifton Springs and Fred Hildreth of Manchester. Mrs. Hildreth is also survived by eighteen grandchildren. Services were held today at 2:30 p.m., Rev. C. E. Brown officiating. Burial was made at Riverview cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 8 April 1881

On Friday morning last, William Hildreth died at the Canandaigua Hotel in this village, and the news of his death was received with deep regret by a very large circle of friends and acquaintances throughout Western New York. Mr. Hildreth's death was not wholly unexpected; he had been for over a year in failing health, from one or two attacks of paralysis, but his friends were in hope that his life would be spared for many years; such was not case, however, and a useful citizen and highly esteemed man has passed away. Mr. Hildreth was born in the town of Phelps, this county, on the 4th of November, 1814, and resided at that place for a number of years, following the occupation of farmer and cattle dealer. He was an influential man in public affairs, and enjoyed the esteem and confidence of his fellow-citizens. In the fall of 1858, Mr. Hildreth was elected sheriff of Ontario county, which office he honorably and efficiently filled. In January, 1862, he was appointed Deputy U. S. Marshall, which position he held until the spring of 1874, when he moved to Rochester and became joint proprietor with his son, Samuel M., of the Brackett House in that city. A few weeks ago he gave up possession of the hotel, and came to this village with his wife with the intention of locating at Clifton Springs. Mr. Hildreth was twice married. He leaves a wife and six children, all but one of whom have attained adult age. The funeral services were held at the Canandaigua Hotel on Monday, Rev. Dr. Saxe, of Rochester, officiating. They were attended by a large number of friends and relatives from Rochester, Phelps and other places, and a great many friends in this village were present to pay their respects to the memory of the deceased. The remains were taken to Phelps for interment. Among those who accompanied the remains were the Hon. William Marvin of Skaneateles; Hon. R. P. Marvin, of Akron, O.; F. O. Chamberlain, Dr. E. W. Simmons, O. N. Crane and Captain Padleford of Canandaigua; Sterne Bannister, J. Sargent and Dr. Chubb, of Rochester.

From Geneva Daily Times 29 April 1971

Mrs. Alice Hill,
64, a native Genevan and retired Ontario County employee, died yesterday in her home at 230 W. Gibson St., Canandaigua. She is the wife of Edward M. Hill and the sister of Mrs. Howard Growden of Geneva. A prayer service will be Saturday at 9 a.m. in the John C. Johnson Funeral Home, Canandaigua. A funeral mass will follow at 9:30 a.m. in St. Mary's Church. Burial will be in Canandaigua. Mrs. Hill had lived in Canandaigua for many years and had worked in the office of the county treasurer. She was a member of St. Mary's Church and its Rosary Alter Society. In addition to her husband and her sister, Mrs. Hill is survived by four daughters, Mrs. Robert Wilcox of California; Mrs. Frank Muraco of Syracuse; Mrs. Edward Quayle of Canandaigua and Mrs. Thomas McGrath of Alaska; and 12 grandchildren.

From Geneva Daily Times 10 October 1903

Phelps, N. Y. -
The death of Charles Hill occurred yesterday morning after a lingering illness of cancer. Mr. Hill was born at Danbury, Vt., eighty-eight years ago and came to Phelps at an early age. He is survived by his widow, one son and three daughters. The funeral will be held Saturday afternoon at 2 o'clock.

From Geneva Daily Times 7 March 1941

Clifton Springs, Mar. 7 - Charles D. Hill died here suddenly Thursday at the age of 74 years. He was a descendant of one of the first settlers of this section. He was born in the town of Hopewell but Clifton Springs had been his home during the whole of his adult life. He served for many years on the Board of Education, several times as city clerk, and for several times held the office of police magistrate. He was treasurer of the Clifton Springs Cemetery Association and has been interested in all civic affairs. He is survived by his widow, Elizabeth Curtis Hill, and one daughter, Mrs. Howard P. Lawson, of Rochester. Funeral services will be held from the home on Saturday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock, Rev. John Wootton officiating. Burial in Clifton Springs Cemetery.

From Victor Herald 6 April 1906

Charles G. Hill
died at his home in the western part of this town on Thursday of last week after a lingering illness from consumption. The deceased was fifty-one years and eight months old. He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Jerome Hill and his aged mother survives him. The father died some seven years ago. Other surviving members of the family are two sons, Gregory C. and Charles C. Hill; three sisters, Mrs. Emma S. Cummings and Mrs. Etta M. Sizer of Victor; and Mrs. Elvina S. French of LaMoore, North Dakota; and one brother, Homer J. Hill of this town. The funeral services were held at the home on Sunday afternoon, the Rev. W. H. Skeels, pastor of St. Paul's Universalist church, officiating. Interment was made in Boughton Hill Cemetery.

From Victor Herald 25 August 25 1894

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - Cyrus L. Hill,
a former resident of the town, who was terribly injured in a runaway accident in South Bristol, Aug. 15th died at his home in South Bristol, Monday afternoon from blood poison. His remains were brought here Tuesday afternoon and interred in the village cemetery. He was a member of Emblem Lodge No. 221 A. O. U. W., who were present at the burial, and the impressive funeral service of the order read. He was nearly 40 years of age, and leaves a wife and three children.

From Geneva Daily Times 22 February 1928

Clifton Springs, N. Y. - 
Funeral services were held this afternoon at 3 o'clock for Eva Jones Hill, wife of the late Joel Hill, who died at her home on East Main street Sunday night. Mrs. Hill was born March 6. 1839, in the town of Hopewell, the daughter of Amos and Mary Jones, who were among the first settlers of this community. She had lived in Clifton Springs for the past 36 years. She is survived by one son, Charles D. Hill, and one granddaughter, Mrs. Howard P. Lawson of Philadelphia. Burial was made in Clifton Springs cemetery, the Rev. Nelson Lobdell of Victor officiating.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 17 May 1905

Naples, N. Y. -
Last Friday occurred the death of Franklin Semans Hill. Deceased was 86 years of age and is survived by his wife and three children, Edward T. of Washington, D. C., Mrs. Ida Bills of Rochester, and Herbert E. of this village.

From Victor Herald 6 February 1903

George W. Hill,
who has identified himself with the town of Victor for over half a century, died at his home on West Main street in this village on Tuesday morning at seven o'clock. Death resulted from a shock of paralysis which came only a few hours before the spirit was taken from earth. On Monday Mr. Hill, made the remark that he felt unusually well and that he had hopes of regaining his health, which has been gradually failing for two years. George Washington Hill was born in the old homestead about three and one half miles southwest of this village, on April 8, 1838. His early life was spent on the farm among the associations of the community. In the spring of 1862, March 11, he married Laura A. Woolston, and together they went to the town of Eckford, Calhoun county, Michigan, where they lived on a farm for six years. In 1868 Mr. and Mrs. Hill returned to New York state and purchased a farm near Fishers where they resided until removing to this village about nine years ago. In a public capacity, Mr. Hill has very acceptably served as both excise commissioner, justice of the peace and commissioner of highways. He was a man of jovial nature and genial manner and made many friends. Owing to Mr. Hill's poor health, both he and Mrs. Hill have traveled quite extensively with the hope of deriving benefit from a more congenial clime. Only a short time ago they returned from a visit in North Dakota and other western states.

The widow and one brother, William H. Hill, both of this village, are left to mourn the loss of a loving husband and brother. At 2 o'clock yesterday afternoon the funeral services were conducted at the house. Rev. Ira L. Coddington of Rochester officiated, assisted by Rev. Margaret Brennan, of the Universalist church of Victor. Interment was made at Boughton Hill cemetery.

From Ontario County Times 13 August 1873

Mr. Gregory Hill,
whose death was briefly announced in this paper last week, was, for many years, prominent among the most enterprising, influential and highly respected citizens of the town of Victor. Mr. Hill was a native of Vermont, having been born in that state May 1st, 1793. When about nineteen years old he decided to seek his fortune in Western New York, and ultimately found his way to Victor, where he arrived in the spring of 1813, with nothing but a stout heart and willing hands to aid him. Purchasing fifty acres of land "on time" of Oliver Chapin, he commenced work with a determination to succeed, and with a wisely directed energy, which soon enabled him, not only to pay for his first purchase, but to add rapidly to his possessions, until he became, as is believed, the largest land holder in the town where he resided -- owning at the time of his death, eight hundred acres in Victor and three hundred near Marengo, Michigan. Eight years after locating in Victor, he found a worthy helpmate in the person of Lovina Lusk, whom he married in 1822, and by whom he raised a family of eight children, six of whom survive him, including five sons, who reside in Victor, and a daughter settled in Michigan. The deceased had been in failing health during the last five years, and much of the time suffered severely from the complicated disorders with which he was afflicted, and which finally, on the 2d instant, brought his eventful life to a close. The funeral ceremonies, which took place at the Universalist church, in Victor, on the 3d instant, were conducted by Rev. Mr. Boardman, and the remains were followed to their final resting place, on Boughton Hill, by a large concourse of sorrowing friends and relatives.

From Ontario County Times 23 February 1876

Rushville, N. Y. -
One of oldest and much respected citizens, H. P. V. Hill, died at his home, in this village, Feb. 10th, 1876, aged 65 years. Mr. Hill has been a resident of Rushville for about forty years, and has led an honest and very industrious life. He will be missed and mourned by the community generally. He leaves a wife and six children.

From Ontario County Journal 15 September 1882

Victor, N. Y. - Mr. Harlo Hill
retired last Monday night in apparent health, but was found dead in the morning. Inquest was held by Coroner Mead and a post mortem examination proved death to have been caused by heart disease.

From Ontario County Times 2 January 1878

Victor, N. Y. - Mrs. Harlow Hill
died at her home in this place on Wednesday morning, after a long and severe illness. Deceased had suffered for many months. She had a large circle of friends who mourn her loss. The funeral was held in the Universalist church on Saturday. The Rev. Mr. Borden conducted the services.

From Victor Herald 2 June 1899

Ionia, N. Y. - Jerome Hill,
a lifelong resident of Victor, died at his home in the western part of the Town last Sunday night at eleven o'clock. Mr. Hill was born on the old homestead known as the Gregg Hill farm, about three miles west of this village, now owned by his brother, William Hill, in September 1824. He was married at the age of 21 years to Clarissa Webster, daughter of Cyrus Webster, of Mendon. About this time he purchased and moved upon the farm, where he resided continuously until his death. Six children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Hill, four daughters and two sons. Of these all are living, except Ella, wife of Sidney Pimm, Jr., who died a few years ago. Of the living, Mrs. Emily Cummings resides in Buffalo; Mrs. Elvina French in La Moure, North Dakota, and Mrs. Esther Sizer at the family home in Victor. The sons, Charles and Homer, reside in this town, the latter at Fishers. Mrs. Hill survives her husband.

In politics Mr. Hill was a Republican, but was never actively interested in party affairs, beyond exercising his right of suffrage as an American citizen. He never held a public office, preferring to devote his time to the proper and timely care of his farm, which was one of the best in the town of Victor. Mr. Hill was, however, very much interested in the management of Boughton Hill Cemetery and as a member and officer of the Association, did much to promote the success of the undertaking. He also took a lively interest and pride in the schools of his district. In his home Mr. Hill was a kind and indulgent father. Among his friends and acquaintances he was known as a bluff and somewhat quick-spoken man, easily angered by what he deemed an imposition, but quick to forget his wrath and ready to aid the provoker thereof at the first opportunity. With him it was once a friend, always a friend. His death will be sincerely regretted throughout the community and much sympathy goes out to the bereaved family. The funeral services were held from the late residence of the deceased Thursday afternoon at 2 o'clock, Rev. J. F. Leland of Utica, former pastor of the Universalist Church in this village, officiating. Interment in the Boughton Hill Cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 27 March 1907

Shortsville, N. Y. - The remains of Mrs. Joel Hill of Hopewell, who had been in the hospital at Ovid that last three years, were brought here yesterday afternoon and funeral services were held in the Presbyterian church. She has one son, Harley Hill. Rev. Seymour Ferris officiated. Interment in the Sand Hill cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 18 September 1896

Victor, N. Y. -  Lysander Hill
was found dead in bed on Saturday morning, the cause of death being heart failure. Mr. Hill was 64 years old and was born in Victor where he has always lived. Mr. Hill was a man highly respected by all who knew him, and a great many friends mourn his loss. Two brothers, Willis and Wallace, survive him. The funeral was held at the home on Monday afternoon, Rev. Mr. Bard, officiating.

From Geneva Daily Times 28 July 1910

Clifton Springs, N. Y. -  Marvin Hill,
a retired farmer residing in this village, died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. William A. Judd, Tuesday night after a long illness. Mr. Hill was born in the town of Hopewell 82 years ago. He was a son of the late Ephram and Anna Archer Hill, and a brother of Joel Hill of Clifton Springs. Four years ago he moved to this village from his farm near Palmyra. He is survived by his wife, one daughter, Mrs. Judd, and one brother, Joel Hill, all of Clifton Springs. The burial was in the Palmyra Cemetery this afternoon. The funeral was at 11 o'clock this morning at the residence of Mrs. Judd and at 4 o'clock in the chapel in the Cemetery in Palmyra.

From Geneva Daily Times 23 July 1904

Mrs. Mary Ann Livingston Hill
died at 7 o'clock this morning at her home at No. 284 Castle street, after a ten days' illness. She was eighty-two years of age. The deceased was born in Tyre, from which place she came to this city in 1851. She was a member of St. Peter's church. She is survived by one son, J. P. Hill, and two daughters, of this city, and one sister, Mrs. C. A. Waugh of Clyde. The funeral will take place from the home Monday afternoon.

From Ontario County Journal 1 December 1911

Rushville, N. Y. - 
On Saturday occurred the death of Mrs. Mary Jane Hill at the home of her daughter, Mrs. George Ford, in this village. Mrs. Hill passed her 82d birthday on Nov. 15 and, with the exception of the past four years spent with her daughter here, had lived her entire life at Ingleside. For the last three years, she had been blind and had required much care. She was the eldest of 12 children born to Cornelius and Polly Drake and at the age of 29 years was married to William Hill of Ingleside. She leaves one daughter, Mrs. George Ford of Rushville; two brothers, Martin V. Drake, of Ingleside, and Gilbert Drake of Pulteney; and one sister, Mrs. Fannie Presler of Benton. She also leaves eight grandchildren; Charles, Minnie and George Ford, Jr. of this place; William and Daniel Ford of Syracuse; Mrs. Addie Canwright of Geneva; Ellen Ford of North Cohocton; and Mrs. Corda Cole of Middlesex; also seven great-grandchildren. There was a short funeral service at her late home Sunday afternoon, and Monday the remains were taken to the Christian church of which she was a member, where they were interred in Ingleside cemetery. Rev. Mr. Brand officiated at Ingleside; Rev. Alfred Trennery at Rushville.

From Penn Yan Democrat 5 November 1920

Canandaigua, Oct. 31 -
The death of Michael Hill at the advanced age of 84 years, occurred at his residence in Chapel street yesterday morning as a result of general debility. He is survived by six grandchildren, Miss Emily Henderson, Mrs. Edward Allen, Louis Henderson, James Henderson, and Charles Henderson, all of Canandaigua, and Mrs. McBride of Rochester. He also left five great-grandchildren. A curious circumstance in his life was that Mr. Hill's true name was unknown, and the name Hill was given to him because he was found on a hill. When he was a small baby, he was found at what is known as the Sand Hill north of Canandaigua, it is said, by a family named McGregor, who brought him up, giving him the name of Hill. He grew up, served in the Civil War and was wounded by a shot in the leg in one of the big battles of that conflict.

From Ontario County Journal 2 February 1937

Mrs. Reuben B. Hill,
aged 39 years, passed away at her home on the Geneva turnpike on Monday. She leaves her husband and six children, also her parents, Mr. and Mrs. George Dennison, of Dundee. The funeral services were held at Dundee.

From Geneva Advertiser 3 June 1902

Mrs. Reynolds Hill,
youngest daughter of the late Elliott Andrus, who had been ill for a long time, died at her home on Genesee street early last Saturday morning, May 31st.  Toward the last she suffered almost untold agony until lapsing into unconsciousness.  Mr. Hill has been an engineer on the upper lakes for many years, and was obliged to return to his work when navigation opened, but when his boat landed in Buffalo on her last trip, he left her and came down to see his dying wife, and was with her at the end.  They have no children, and she is survived by her husband, two brothers and a sister, Mark and Elliott of Willard, and Mrs. Will Anderson of Detroit, who has been with her sister for several months.  Mrs. Hill was a member of Geneva Chapter 83, Order Eastern Star and very active while in health.

From Geneva Daily Times 2 June 1902

The funeral services of Mrs. Reynolds Hill took place at 3 o'clock this afternoon, from the family residence, 215 Genesee street.  Rev. C. E. Jewell officiated.  Mr. Jewell was assisted by Rev. George Cross Baner.  The services were in charge of Geneva chapter 83, Order of the Eastern Star.  Interment was in Glenwood cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 10 June 1898

Rushville, N. Y. - Mrs. Roxanna Hill
died at her home in this village, June 1, aged 70 years. A few weeks ago she had another stroke of paralysis, from which she never rallied. Her daughter and son came and cared for her with the assistance of many kind friends. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. E. A. Baldwin at the M. E. church on Friday, June 3, at 11 a.m. Burial was in the village cemetery.

From Victor Herald 9 February 1895

Fishers, N. Y. - Sarah,
wife of Chas. Hill, died last Saturday evening. She had been a sufferer for a number of months of that dread disease consumption. The funeral was held from her late residence Tuesday noon, the Rev. Mr. Bard officiating; burial at Boughton Hill. Besides a husband, she leaves two little boys.

From Ontario Messenger 11 December 1844

Another Revolutionary Soldier Gone -
Died in Manchester, (at the residence of his son,) on the 22d of November, Thomas Hill, aged 91 years, 23 days. Mr. Hill was at the taking of Burgoyne, and the surrender of Lord Cornwallis, at which place he received a wound in his thigh, and after that, he was in the service six years and seven months.

From Ontario Repository & Messenger 4 August 1898

Victor - Wallace Hill
died after an operation for appendicitis last Wednesday night which was performed by Dr. Jones, of Rochester, assisted by the local physicians. He was a very popular young man, and his sudden illness came while he was apparently enjoying robust health. The funeral was held under Masonic auspices Saturday. His widow, two children and a brother, Willis, survive. He was 34 years old the day he was taken ill.

From Geneva Daily Times 11 December 1944

Private William E. Hill,
31, of the United States Infantry was killed in action on November 25th in Germany according to a War Department telegram received by his wife, Mrs. William E. Hill. Private Hill was with General Hodge's First Army in Germany. He is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Hill. Private Hill joined the Armed Forces in March, 1944, and went overseas last August. He attended St. Stephen's Parochial school and Geneva High School. He was a member of the Elk's Club; president of the Young Republican's Club and chairman of the Seventh Judiciary District of the Young Republican Club, and a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars. Private Hill is survived by his wife and a five-year-old daughter, Mary Ernestine.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 8 May 1923 

William H. Hill died at the Health Home in Canandaigua Monday morning, May 7, 1923. The funeral will be held at the home of his son, William F. Hill, on Wednesday afternoon, May 9th, at 2 o'clock.

From Ontario Repository and Messenger 26 April 1876

Shortsville, N. Y. -
We are called upon this week to mourn the death of Miss Maggie Hillard, who spent many years of her life in this vicinity. Miss Hillard was a sister of Mrs. R. Sheffer of Shortsville, her father being an old veteran of 1812. Miss Hillard was an amiable and kind-hearted lady, and her presence will be greatly missed both in the social circle and at the bedside of the sick. She died at Henrietta, on the 19th inst., and was buried here on Saturday last. We tender our sympathy to her relatives in their bereavement.

From Ontario County Times 15 June 1864

We are informed that a laboring man named Patrick Hillery was struck by lightning near Rushville, on the morning of the 9th inst., and instantly killed. He was in the employ of Anson Linsley of that place.

From Ontario County Journal 3 March 1916

The death of Mrs. Elizabeth Hilliard, aged 65 years, occurred at the home of her daughter, Mrs. William Neenan, at East Bloomfield, on Wednesday night, after a long illness. There survive two daughters, Mrs. Neenan and Mrs. R. B. Abbey, of Richmond; and four sons, Thomas and Peter of Canandaigua, James of Geneva, and William of Rochester. The funeral services will be held at St. Mary's church tomorrow morning at 9 o'clock. Interment will be in Calvary Cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 23 February 1894

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - Mrs. Michael Hilliard
died last Saturday morning at her home, aged 74 years. The funeral services were held at St. Bridget's church Wednesday, Rev. Father Donnelly officiating.

From Clifton Springs Press April 1943

Mrs. Nellie Howes Hilliard,
57, died Monday morning, April 12, 1943, in Highland hospital, Rochester, where she had been a patient for the past 10 days. She was born in West Bloomfield, the daughter of the late George Howes and Carrie Bush Howes. Since her marriage to Edward Hilliard, she had resided in East Bloomfield. Surviving are her husband; her mother, Mrs. George Howes of Ionia; two daughters, Mrs. Warren Foster, Los Angeles, Calif., and Mrs. Earl Masten, Canadice; two sons, Leo of Canandaigua and Raymond at home; four brothers, William Howes of West Bloomfield, Fred E. Howes and George Howes of Ionia, and Harry Howes of Rochester; one sister, Mrs. Eugene Richards of Rochester. Funeral services were conducted Thursday morning from the W. E. Wheeler Funeral Home and from St. Bridget's Church, Rev. George W. Doud celebrating the funeral mass. Burial was made in St. Bridget's cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 13 January 1919

James B. Hillick
of 27 Sherrill street died early yesterday morning at his home following an illness of two weeks. Mr. Hillick is well-known in railroad circles, having been a conductor on the Lehigh Valley Railroad for a number of years. He was a Knight Templar, a member of St. Augustine Commandery of Ithaca. The survivors are his wife; two sons, Hugh Hillick, a member of the Canadian Royal Flying Corps, and James Hillick of this city; one brother, William Hillick of Fulton, N. Y. The funeral will be held at the residence tomorrow afternoon at 2:30 o'clock. Rev. David H. Craver of the North Presbyterian church will officiate and interment will be made in Washington Street Cemetery.

From Shortsville Enterprise 5 October 1916

The death of Jotham Reuben Hillman, a long-time resident of the Parlor Village, occurred at his home in Grove street on Monday evening at 8:15 o'clock. His demise resulted from cerebral hemorrhage, following a stroke of paralysis suffered the previous Saturday evening. He had been in poor health for a year or more. His age was nearly 67 years. Mr. Hillman was a native of Canandaigua, having been born there on October 27, 1849, a son of the late Reuben and Lovisa Purdy Hillman. He had been a resident of Shortsville for the past 28 years. For many years he conducted the large evaporating plant in Grove street. He also at different times engaged in the manufacture of apple slicers, spraying machinery and washing machines. He was of an inventive turn of mind and as a result of this ability he produced numerous useful articles. On December 10, 1876, he was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Tudman, of Lowell, N. Y. He was a faithful member of the Shortsville Presbyterian church. The survivors are his wife; one brother, Frank Hillman, of Rushville, and one sister, Mrs. David Francisco of Rushville. The funeral services were held from the Presbyterian church on Wednesday afternoon at 2 o'clock, conducted by the pastor, Rev. D. H. MacKenzie. The interment followed in Brookside cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 28 March 1902

The remains of Mrs. Marian C. Hillman, widow of Reuben Hillman, who died at her home in Honeoye on Monday, were interred in Woodlawn cemetery in this village yesterday. Deceased was 70 years of age and is survived by four sons, Clarence E. Brand of Honeoye; Frank A. Brand of Sonyea, formerly of this village; William Childs of South Bloomfield; and Fred Mariner of this place.

From Ontario County Journal 2 July 1915

The funeral services of Mrs. Mary M. Hillman, aged 83 years, whose death occurred on Thursday night of last week at Memorial Hospital, where she had been under treatment for three weeks, following a fracture of her knee in a fall, were held at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Lowell M. Baldwin on Sunday afternoon. Rev. George E. Finlay officiated. Besides Mrs. Baldwin, there survive a son, Lory Davis, of Kalispell, Montana; and a daughter, Mrs. Luther Truesdell of Sheldon Falls, Mass. Interment was in Woodlawn.

From Ontario County Journal 9 May 1902

Shortsville, N. Y. -  Abram Hills,
aged 86 years, died at his home on Sheldon street on Sunday morning. He had been confined to his bed for two months by general debility due to his advanced age. Mr. Hills was born in Madison county. He was a veteran of the Civil war and a resident of Canandaigua for 40 years. The funeral at the house was under the direction of the G. A. R., the sermon being preached by Rev. J. C. Glover. The deceased is survived by his wife and one son, Dewitt Hills, of Auburn.

From Geneva Palladium 10 January 1827

Shocking Accident -- On Friday last, Mr. David Hills, aged 23 years, while riding from the upper Brewery down Water street in this village, was thrown from his horse against a stone wall, which dashed out his brains and killed him instantly.

From Ontario County Journal 5 March 1886

Mr. George Hills
died at his home in this village last Sunday. He was an old citizen of Canandaigua, having been engaged in business here many years in the jewelry trade. He was a member of the Presbyterian church of this village, was respected and esteemed by all his neighbors and acquaintances.

From Ontario County Journal 22 December 1893

On Sunday morning, December 17, at his home on Clark street, occurred the death of Abraham Hillyer. Mr. Hillyer was 78 years of age, and had been a resident of this village for thirty years. He was a shoemaker by trade, and had been employed by Davidson & Park, T. Skidmore and Wm. Tozer in this village, and Delos Doolittle in Cheshire. For two years prior to his death he had been a sufferer from creeping paralysis. His wife died about fourteen years ago, and his only son, Wm. Hillyer, died four years ago, leaving Mrs. John Decker, his daughter, the only surviving member of the family. The funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon and the interment was in the old cemetery on West avenue.

From Ontario County Times 6 April 1892

John Hinchey,
a well-known character and for several years a cartman of this village, died suddenly of heart disease on Wednesday night. He was over 70 years of age.

From Naples Record 17 August 1872

On Monday last, Mrs. Abigail Hinckley, relict of Guy Hinckley, departed this life. She died at the homestead, now owned by Orville Hinckley. She was nearly 82 years old; she came here in her mother's arms eighty years ago, and lived in Naples since. The funeral services were from the house and attended by many relations and friends. Rev M. B. Gelston spoke very highly of her many virtues and justly so, as all can attest. She was buried in Rose Ridge Cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 9 April 1915

Naples, N. Y. -  Mrs. Adeline French Hinckley
passed away at her home on South Main street on Tuesday after a long illness with cancer. She was born in Naples in 1856, the daughter of Peter and Phoebe Gardner French. In 1875 she married Elmer Hinckley of Naples who survives her. She also leaves a daughter, Mrs. Mabel Murray of Naples; and a son, Jenness of Albany; three grandchildren; a stepmother, Mrs. Roxana French of Naples; one sister Mrs. Jennie Filkins, of Belmont, Mich.; two brothers, Clinton French of Hillsdale, Mich., and Myron French of Chicago, Ill.; and one half-brother, Clark French of Naples. Funeral services will be held at the home in charge of Rev. Jacob Finger. Burial in Rose Ridge.

From Naples Record 19 July 1873

On Wednesday, just at evening, Adelle, wife of Elmer Hinckley, died at the residence of her father-in-law, Orville Hinckley. Mrs. Hinckley was the eldest daughter of Peter French and was 19 years of age. About a month ago, she gave birth to a son, and was soon taken very ill from the result of some former disease of the heart and blood; insanity followed, and death. She had constant and good care but to no avail. She leaves a large circle of bereaved relatives. The funeral services were held at the M. E. Church at 10 a.m. Friday, by Rev. J. T. Brownell.

From Geneva Daily Times 21 November 1908

Canandaigua, N. Y. - Mrs. Betsey Hinckley
died at the home of her son, Oscar, on Bristol street Thursday night, aged 77 years. Mrs. Hinckley had been a resident of Naples until about a year ago. She leaves four sons, Oscar of Canandaigua; Burt and Carlton of Naples, and Dana of Brunswick, Ga., and one sister, Mrs. Jane Stanton of Stafford, N. Y.

From Ontario County Journal 23 June 1916 

Naples, N. Y. -
Last week Wednesday night, Elmer Hinckley, aged 64 years, was found dead in a room in the second story of his house on Main street. He had been dead for several hours when discovered. He leaves one daughter, Mrs. Matthew Murray, of Naples, and two sons, Jenness of Albany, and Delbert of Naples. He had been twice married. He first married Adele French, who died many years ago, and later he married Addie French, who died about a year ago. Funeral services were held at his late home on Saturday. Rev. Jacob Finger conducted the services and interment was in Rose Ridge cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 3 April 1907

Naples, N. Y. -
The death of Harlow Hinckley occurred at his home in this village Sunday. He was one of the older sons of the pioneers of the town and Naples has always been his home. He was born in 1827, the son of Guy Hinckley. Harlow Hinckley married Miss Martin Lyon of Naples, who died after two years, leaving him son son, Carlton, now of this town. Later he married Miss Bessie Bell of Stafford, N. Y., who survives him. Three more sons were added to the family all now living; B. N. Hinckley, a business man of Naples; Oscar of Canandaigua, and Professor Dana L. Hinckley of Bismark, Dakota. Mr. Hinckley was a successful fruit grower and a good citizen. He was the last of his generation of the well-known family.

From Ontario Messenger 28 October 1846

Another Revolutionary Veteran Gone -
Died, at Naples, Ontario county, N. Y., on Friday, the 23d day of September, 1846, John Hinckley, aged 85 years. The deceased was a Soldier of the Revolution. He was born at Willington, Tolland county, Conn., in the year 1761; consequently he was but a boy when the war broke out. In the early part of the eventful '76, not being quite fifteen, he enlisted in the regular service under Capt. Ichabod Hinckley of Tolland, for the space of three years, as a drummer. During his enlistment, he was a part of the time under Gen. Putnam at Peekskill. Under the command of Gen. Washington, he passed the memorable winter of 1777 at Valley Forge. In '78 he was in the battle of Monmouth. In '79 having enlisted again, under the command of the gallant Wayne, on the night of the 16th of July, he assisted at the taking of Stony Point. From this time he served till the close of the war. In 1804, he moved from Connecticut with his family to Naples. He lived to see the country for which he fought, prosperous and happy; to partake of the rewards of his labors and to enjoy them to a good old age.

From Geneva Gazette 8 February 1901

Mrs. John Hinckley
died at the family residence, four miles east of this city, Wednesday night, aged 67 years.  The cause of death was grip, terminating in apoplexy.  Besides a husband, the deceased is survived by two daughters, Mrs. William Goodman and Mrs. Elmer Bow.

From Geneva Daily Times 19 June 1907

Canandaigua, N. Y. - Mrs. Nina Grace Hinckley, wife of Harry Hinckley, died at the Memorial Hospital Monday. She was about 33 years of age and leaves her husband and one little daughter. The family came here only a short time ago from Naples, where the remains will be taken for burial.

From Ontario County Journal 10 March 1899

Naples, N. Y. - Orville Hinckley,
another old citizen and lifelong resident of Naples, died on Thursday, March 2, aged 77 years. He was a son of Guy Hinckley, deceased, and leaves one brother, Harlow of Naples; one sister, Mrs. Van Epps of Brockport; also one son, Elmer, and one daughter, Mrs. Homer Gage, of Bergen.

From Ontario County Journal 10 August 1894

Naples, N. Y. - Sanford R. Hinckley
died on Tuesday, aged 49 years. On Saturday last he fell suddenly to the floor, and was unconscious for some time. The report went out that he had taken poison. He soon began to raise blood, and that continued until death. He insisted that he did not take poison, but that some internal organ gave way; and this is but very slight ground for assuming that he wanted to die. He was a vineyardist, living on Hatch Hill street; a son of the late Edwin R. Hinckley, and largely related in town. A widow and two daughters survive him.

From Geneva Daily Times 28 March 1908

Canandaigua, N. Y. -
The death of Mrs. Maria E. Hind occurred Wednesday at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Frank B. Housel, in this town, after an illness, of three years, at the age of 72 years. Her husband, James Hind, died 35 years ago. Mrs. Hind leaves two daughters, Mrs. Housel and Mrs. Susie Loveland, with whom she made her home during the last several years. A brother, James Easton, of Rochester, and a sister, Mrs. James Didger, of Ogden, also survive.

From Shortsville Enterprise 28 September 1916

The death of Mrs. Harriet Hinde, a well-known town of Manchester resident, occurred at her home, two miles north of this village, last Thursday. Her age was 91 years. Mrs. Hinde was born at Tachbrook, Warwickshire, England, on February 8, 1825, her maiden name being Miss Harriet Mulless. She was married in England to Thomas Hinde, Sr., during the year of 1842. In September, 1868, Mr. and Mrs. Hinde embarked for America and first located at Walworth, this State. They remained there until the year of 1872, when they removed to the town of Manchester. Mr. Hinde died in 1905. The survivors are three sons, Thomas Hinde, Jr., of Shortsville; Richard Hinde of Manchester town, and George Hinde of Canandaigua; three daughters, Mrs. George Warner, Mrs. Thomas Capren and Mrs. Thomas Warner, all of Manchester town; one nephew, John Newton, of Ontario, Wayne county; two nieces, Mrs. Anna Tassell of Williamson, Wayne county, and Mrs. Ella Sanford, of Tekonsha, Michigan; also fourteen grandchildren and fifteen great-grandchildren. The funeral services were held from the M. E. church in Manchester on Sunday, conducted by the pastor, the Rev. Edward Jarvis. The interment followed in Brookside cemetery in this village.

From Shortsville Enterprise 24 November 1932

Mrs. Lena Hinde,
wife of Thomas Hinde, died at the family home in Water street, Shortsville, Thursday morning, November 17, 1932. Death was caused by heart ailment and infirmities of old age. She was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Guth and was born in St. Louis, Mo., on August 17, 1858. Later the Guth family moved to Bayonne, N. J. She was married to Thomas HInde on September 25, 1919, in Jersey City, and came to Shortsville to make her home, Mrs. Hinde is survived by her husband, two daughters, Mrs. Matthew Smith, of Greenville, N. J., and Mrs. John Wohltman, Bayonne, N. J.; 15 grandchildren, 21 great-grandchildren, and two great-great-grandchildren. Funeral services were held from the late home Saturday afternoon at 2 o'clock, the Rev. L. L. Swarthout, pastor of the Manchester Baptist church, officiating. Interment in Brookside Cemetery, Shortsville.

From Shortsville Enterprise 17 May 1923

Richard Hinde,
familiarly known to all as "Dick" Hinde, shot himself in the head in front of his blacksmith shop on the Manchester-Clifton Springs road about 6:30 o'clock last Friday morning. The report of the discharge of the gun was heard by neighbors but nothing was thought of it at the time. It was about 7 o'clock that the body was found by a neighbor who keeps his horses in the Hinde barn and who was on his way to feed them. While Mr. Hinde left no note to indicate the cause of his rash act, it is believed to have resulted from despondency. His wife was removed to the Willard State Hospital the day previous and this is believed to have broken him down with sorrow. He was a most devoted husband, and at the time of the death of his first wife, who was a sister of the present Mrs. Hinde, grave fears were entertained for him. The remains were viewed by Coroner D. A. Eiseline of Shortsville, who ordered them removed to the Stoddard undertaking rooms. Coroner Eiseline has issued a certificate of death by suicide.
Richard Hinde was a native of England, having been born at Staffordshire 75 years ago. Early in life he came to America and first settled in Walworth. In the year 1872 he located upon the small farm where his death took place. He engaged in the blacksmithing business and conducted a shop until his death. He was married in 1873 to Miss Mary Mahar, of Macedon, whose demise occurred in August, 1898. The following year he was married to Miss Kate Mahar. Beside his wife, he leaves one son, Harry Hinde, of Canandaigua, and one daughter, Mrs. Daisy Philley, of Palmyra; two granddaughters, Mrs. Henry Lybart of Marion, and Miss Edna Philley of Palmyra; one great-granddaughter, Miss Marie Lybart of Marion; two brothers, Thomas Hinde, of Dunellen, N. J., and George Hinde of Canandaigua; and three sisters, Mrs. Thomas Capron, Mrs. Thomas Warner, and Mrs. George Warner of Manchester town. Funeral services were held at Trinity Mission, Shortsville, on Monday morning at 10 o'clock, conducted by Rev. W. A. Brown, of Phelps. Interment was made in Brookside Cemetery.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 27 December 1905

Shortsville, N. Y. - 
The funeral of Thomas Hinde, Sr., whose death occurred at his home, Outlet Road, near Manchester Center, at noon Tuesday, was held from the family home Thursday afternoon at 2 o'clock, the Rev. S. S. Pratt, pastor of the Manchester Methodist Episcopal church, officiating. Burial was made in Brookside Cemetery, Shortsville. Mr. Hinde was born in Warwickshire, England, in 1824 and in 1868 he came to America, settling first in Walworth, Wayne County, where he lived two years, and then moving to the Town of Manchester, where he has ever since resided. Fifty-nine years ago he was married to Miss Melissa Traack Brook (sic), of Warwickshire, England, who survives him. He is also survived by six children, three sons and three daughters, Richard Hinde and Thomas Hinde of Manchester; George Hinde of Canandaigua; Mrs. Harriet Atwell, Mrs. Thomas Warner and Mrs. George Warner, all of Manchester.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 5 June 1938

Shortsville, N. Y. -  Thomas Hinde,
84, died Friday night in Memorial Hospital, Canandaigua, after a two weeks' illness. He came to the United States from Warwickshire, England, at the age of 14 years and had resided in and around Shortsville since coming here in 1854. He was a member of the Canandaigua Lodge of Masons and also a member of the Shortsville Odd Fellows Lodge. His survivors are his widow, Mrs. Ida Hinde; one son, Arthur of St. Petersburg, Fla.; two daughters, Mrs. Louis Schaefer and Mrs. Theron Brott, both of Shortsville; a sister, Mrs. George Warner of Manchester; a brother, George Hinde of Canandaigua. Funeral services will be held at the home, 10 Water St., at 2:30 p.m. today with burial at Brookside Cemetery, Shortsville. Members of the Canandaigua Lodge of Masons will act as bearers with the Shortsville IOOF Lodge conducting services at the cemetery.

From Geneva Gazette 8 May 1896

died at his home on Castle street Sunday evening last, after a long illness.  Deceased, though born in Seneca county, had resided in our village many years.  He was a veteran of the late war and of the 126th (Col. Sherrell's) regiment which was so terribly decimated at Gettysburg.  He was married and leaves surviving him the sorrowing widow and two sons, also one brother, Wm. H.  Deceased was received into church fellowship by confirmation at his home about a week preceding his death.  His age was about 52 years.

From Ontario County Journal 20 January 1882

Naples, N. Y. -
A death has occurred, especially sad. Mrs. Jessie Hinkley, a young mother, only 17, loving and beloved, died on Sunday morning, having given birth to a child on the Friday before. She went into convulsions a short time after the child was safely delivered and repeatedly after, till death came to her relief. The husband, Mr. Edwin Hinkley, an excellent young man of our village, is broken hearted with this great grief.

From Ontario County Journal 15 June 1894

Naples, N. Y. -
The death of Mrs. Lucy M. Hinkley, wife of Orville Hinkley, occurred on Thursday, June 7. Her age was 69, and cause of death, heart disease. Her husband and two married children survive her. One of them, Mrs. Homer Gage, of Bergen, had come on the day before for a visit.

From Ontario County Journal 6 August 1915

West Bloomfield, N. Y. - Charles Hinman,
aged 56 years, died at his home, west of this village, on Friday, from a stroke of apoplexy. He was born in this town and was a blacksmith and carriage painter by trade and well-known throughout this section, where he was a respected citizen. He leaves, besides his widow, three children, Dr. A. Gordon Hinman of Lima, and William and Miss Gertrude Hinman, of this town. Funeral was held from his late home on Sunday afternoon was was largely attended. Rev. Webster of the this village and Rev. Swarthout of Lima conducted the services with interment in rural cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 16 November 1910

Mrs. R. Hinman,
aged 76 years, died yesterday afternoon at the home of her son-in-law, Walter Kendall, proprietor of the Torrey Park Hotel. She is survived by two daughters, Mrs. H. E. Carr of Corning and Mrs. Walter Kendall of this city; and one son, John Dorr of Potterbrook, Pa. The remains will be taken tomorrow morning on the 8:25 train to Potterbrook for burial.

From Ontario County Journal 3 November 1916

Manchester, N. Y. -  Doris Hinz,
wife of Ernest Hinz, died on Tuesday at the family home on West Main Street, Shortsville. She was born in Germany on February 14, 1865, and came to America 26 years ago. A part of the time she lived in Syracuse, coming to Shortsville in 1906, and had resided here since. She was a a member of the German Lutheran church in Syracuse. The Rebekah Lodge took part in the services. Mrs. Hinz was married on Oct. 7, 1889, to Ernest Hinz, who survives her, as do also six children, Mrs. G. A. Burzee of Hopewell; Marie and Lillian, Henry, Walter and George of Shortsville; and one grandchild, Florence Hinz. The funeral was held from the family home on Thursday, Rev. Mr. Annabel officiating.

From Ontario County Times 19 March 1884

Seneca Castle, N. Y. -  Artemas Hipolite,
who has been for a long time in a failing condition, died last Friday. His funeral was attended on the following Sabbath by Rev. Wm. Hermans at the house. In the death of Mr. H., we have lost one of our most genial citizens, and one who ever felt a strong interest in the welfare of all around him. Unobtrusive in his general deportment, he still had a deep and lively interest in all matters pertaining to society, town, or national politics. He leaves no family but a wife, his only child dying many years since. His wife is very much beloved by the whole community, and has
their warmest sympathy in this hour of her deep affliction.

From Ontario County Journal 16 July 1886

Gorham, N. Y. - The funeral services of E. M. Hipolite, in Seneca, were largely attended at his late residence on Wednesday, July 7th. He was an honorable, enterprising citizen, highly esteemed by his neighbors. His death is a great loss not only to his family but to the public.

From Geneva Gazette 9 July 1886

Mortuary - Mr. E. Wheeler Hipolite
, who for more than a quarter of a century has been an esteemed patron of the Gazette, and a well known and highly respected farmer of Seneca, died last Sunday afternoon after quite a long illness, at the age of fifty-three years.  The funeral services were held on the 7th inst. at his late residence and were largely attended.

From Ontario County Times 14 July 1886

Seneca Castle, N. Y. - 
The funeral services of Wheeler Hipolite were held on Wednesday afternoon at his late residence near Stanley. He was stricken by paralysis a short time since and died on Sunday morning last. Mr. Hipolite has been well and favorably known to our people through his entire life. He had a remarkably genial and pleasant disposition, and was highly respected by all as a man of good moral character, of unswerving integrity in all his dealings, which had an extensive range as an agent for various kinds of agricultural machinery. He was 53 years old, and leaves a widow and one son, a young man of much promise and of good business capacity.

From Geneva Gazette 10 December 1897

Died in Seneca -
On the 28th of November ult., Mrs. Harriet Webster Hipolite, in the 67th year of her age.  She was born in the town of Seneca July 16, 1831, and married Mr. Hipolite when just 20 years of age.  Their married life was happy and prosperous, though uneventful except as to mutations incident to farm life.  She never had other residence from infancy until called hence by death that in the good old town of Seneca.  She experienced a great sorrow in the loss of her husband in March, 1884, and one by one she followed to the grave all her brothers and sisters, being the last survivor of a family of nine. During all her married life the GAZETTE was a weekly visitor at her fireside and to bereaved relatives it extends sincere sympathy in their great sorrow.

From Geneva Daily Times 12 March 1915

Stanley, N. Y. -
The funeral of Clifford Hippolite took place Thursday morning at ten o'clock at his residence. Rev. Bruce officiated. Burial was at Sand Hill cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 24 March 1899

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - 
The remains of Mrs. Jean Hird, a former resident of this place, who died at Willard on Saturday, were brought to Canandaigua and interred in Woodlawn cemetery on Monday. The deceased was born in Scotland 67 years ago and had been in this country about 15 years. She was the mother of 15 children and is survived by only two, Mrs. William Craib of this town, and Mrs. Tina Huff of Pittsburg, Pa.

From Geneva Daily Times 17 January 1898

Mrs. Joseph Hirschfield died at 7:30 o'clock last evening, aged 49 years. The cause was peritonitis. The deceased had been ill but a short time, and her sudden taking off is a great shock to her family and friends. The husband of the deceased, Police Commissioner Hirschfield, one of Geneva's best known merchants, and six children survive her. The oldest, Moses, is at present engaged in business at Cleveland, Ohio. Funeral services will take place from the house at 10:30 o'clock tomorrow morning, and at 11:15 the remains will be sent to Rochester, the former home of the deceased, for interment.

From Ontario County Journal 9 May 1919

The funeral services of Mrs. Anna E. Hitchcock, aged 70 years, whose death occurred at her home on West Avenue on Saturday, were held on Tuesday afternoon. Rev. C. Clarence Baker officiated. She leaves her husband, Orestes M. Hitchcock; one daughter, Mrs. John E. Moyer of Canandaigua; and one son, Sherman Hitchcock, of Springfield, Mass.; also three brothers, John Berry of Canandaigua, Joseph Berry of Oakland, Cal., and William Berry of Rochester. Interment was in Woodlawn.

From Naples Record 15 May 1901

Curtis B. Hitchcock,
a prosperous farmer residing in the town of Bristol, not far from the northeast corner of the town of Richmond, attempted suicide at his home on Friday. He had a bad attack of grip this spring, which left him with a bad head of which he had complained for some time. As Mrs. Hitchcock was preparing to go out for a call on Friday, he entered their bedroom and shot himself twice in the right breast with a revolver. One bullet penetrated the lung and one passed entirely through his body. He was quite violent when the family reached the room and they had great difficulty if preventing him from cutting himself with a knife. Dr. Partridge, of East Bloomfield, was summoned and he and other physicians endeavored to locate the ball in the lung by probing, but were unable to do so. He continued to sink until Monday evening when death ended his suffering.

From Ontario County Journal 18 May 1877

Suicide - Mr. Romanzo Hitchcock,
of this village, committed suicide by hanging, at about nine o'clock last Saturday morning. We have no doubt, from the circumstances which have come to our knowledge, but that Mr. Hitchcock was temporarily laboring under an aberration of the mind at the time.  He was in ordinary well-to-do circumstances, usually following the occupation of a farmer.  The last farm he owned was a fine property near the Orphan Asylum just north of this village.  This he lately disposed of, taking a small property in Victor as part payment.  After making this trade, as on former similar occasions, he became somewhat despondent -- "had fits of the blues" as his friends usually said.  Since the exchange of property, he resided in the north part of this village, near the old "malt house" which was recently partially destroyed by fire.  It was noticed that the excitement caused by that fire had quite a depressing influence upon him.

Last Saturday morning Mr. Hitchcock went to the farm of his brother, Orestes Hitchcock, about two miles north of the village, to help him plant corn.  The following abstract from the evidence of his father before the Coroner's jury gives the further particulars in this sad case:  

O. M. Hitchcock, sworn, says:  I reside in Canandaigua, Ontario county; have resided here twelve years.  Deceased came to my place at 6 o'clock this morning to plant corn.  I saw him first coming up the road with a hoe in his hand.  I said you come early, have you been to breakfast?  Said he had not, but had eaten some pie and cake.  I said we have been to breakfast but there was enough for him.  He came in and eat breakfast and I went to the field.  I did not see deceased again till he was found dead.  Charles Dodge came running and said there was a man hanging in the horse barn; he thought it was Romanzo, but he did have any moustache.  He said he thought he had one; I said he had not.  I came down; his wife was on the stoop; I called her to the barn.  My father was near and he went up with me, and we found him hanging there.  I waited a few minutes not knowing what to do; we then took him down.  His head was a little at one side.  The rope was drawing from one side; the rope was slip-noosed around his neck.  The other end of the rope was fastened to a rafter.  His feet were on the floor when I found him. I did not notice anything peculiar about him.  For the last two weeks he has been subject to some peculiarities. He said in changing places he was very lonesome; has been so at other times when changing places.  Said nothing to me which made me suspicious he would harm himself.  Had met with no losses; had been subject to the blues as we called it; never heard him threaten to take his own life.

Return to Ontario County Homepage

Copyright 2006-16, Ontario County NYGenWeb and each contributor and author of materials herein. All rights reserved.