"For" to "Fos" Obituaries

From Geneva Daily Times 9 December 1908

Mrs. Rebecca Forbes,
aged 82 years, died this morning, at 6 o'clock at the home of her son-in-law, Harry J. Loy, of Jefferson avenue. The deceased has made a home in this city for the past six years. She leaves one daughter, Mrs. Harry J. Loy, and one sister, Mrs. Adelaide Eddy of New York. The funeral will take place Friday afternoon at 1:30 o'clock from Kennedy's undertaking rooms, and the remains will be taken later in the afternoon to La Mont, Wyoming county, her former home, for interment. Rev. D. H. Craver will officiate.

From Victor Herald 25 August 1894

Charles Force
died at his home in this village Thursday morning, after an illness of several months duration. He was born in Waterloo, N. Y., Jan 10th, 1816. Most of his life was passed in this town and the immediate vicinity. He was twice married, his first wife died several years ago, one son died in the army. In 1873 he married Mary Metzger, who with one daughter living in Wisconsin, survive him. Of his own family, two sisters remain, Mrs. Caroline Lusk of West Albion, Mich., and Mrs. Catherine Frost, of Victor. His funeral will be held this Saturday morning; the burial will be at Boughton Hill.

From Ontario County Journal 23 January 1885

A very sudden death from neuralgia of the heart occurred at Canadice Thursday of last week. Avery Ford, who was cutting wood near the above place, complained of illness and started for home in the middle of the afternoon. His wife being alarmed at his non-appearance in the evening, notified the neighbors of his absence and a party started out in search. Finding his tracks, they followed them a short distance and discovered his body lying in the snow. Mr. Ford was 69 years old. A wife and three children survive him.

From Ontario County Journal 13 January 1888

Fishers, N. Y. - Erastus Ford, an old and respected resident of this place, died last Friday, after a short illness. He was taken sick Wednesday morning with pneumonia, and gradually grew worse until Friday evening, when he very quietly passed away, after the ripe old age of eighty-five years. He leaves an invalid wife, one sister, a brother, and an adopted son. The funeral was held Monday afternoon. A service was held at the house for the benefit of his wife, and another service was held at the Baptist church of Mendon, Rev. Mr. Keller, pastor of the church, officiating.

From Ontario County Journal 26 October 1894

On Sunday morning occurred the death of John F. Ford at his home on lower Main street in this village, after a brief illness of typhoid fever. He leaves surviving a wife and three children. Mr. Ford, by his genial disposition, has made many friends, especially in the Canandaigua Band, of which organization he was business manager. Funeral services were conducted Tuesday morning by Rev. C. J. Clausen, and were attended by the band in a body, a quartette from which furnished the music.

From Geneva Daily Times 12 February 1907

Canandaigua, N. Y. - Martin Ford, a former Canandaiguan, died at Elmira on Sunday afternoon, and the remains will be brought here for interment. He was about 60 years of age, and leaves two sisters, Mrs. Katherine Brennan and Mrs. Bridget Lally, both of Canandaigua.

From Geneva Gazette 15 September 1871

An Irish woman named Mary Ford, wife of Patrick Ford, living near Gorham station, on the Pennsylvania Northern Central Railroad, was struck by a passing car, on the 5th inst., and so severely injured that she died within a quarter of an hour.

From Ontario County Times 1 January 1879

Michael Ford,
residing near Reed's Corners, committed suicide by hanging on Christmas day. He committed the rash deed in an outbuilding on the premises of Michael McNamara. He was a single man, about forty years of age, and is said to have been somewhat addicted to strong drink.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 3 August 1926

Geneva, N. Y., Aug. 2 - Michael J. Ford,
of No. 22 North avenue, died Sunday night, at the Geneva Hospital. He leaves his wife and nine children, Mrs. M. H. Lawler of Seneca Falls; Mrs. Arnold Cooper of Geneva; Catherine and Helen Ford of Geneva; John F. Ford of Kansas City; and J(illegible), Thomas, Vincent and William of Geneva.

From Ontario County Journal 9 January 1903

The remains of Patrick Ford, who was struck and killed by an engine at the Blossom street crossing at Brighton on Saturday morning, were brought here one Tuesday afternoon and interred in St. Mary's cemetery. Ford had been flagman at Brighton for several years and met death while on duty. He had just stepped onto the rails, after flagging a fast freight, and had his back to the engine when struck. The deceased was 65 years of age, and formerly resided in this village. He is survived by his wife and five sons. He was a member of the C. M. B. A. of this village, having never transferred his membership to the Rochester lodge. The members of the local organization met the funeral party at the station and accompanied the remains to the cemetery.

From Geneva Gazette 22 March 1889

A Fatal Accident -
On Wednesday morning last Thomas Ford, aged thirteen years, was instantly killed at the lumber yard of R. J. Rogers & Co.  The boy had been employed at the mill some time piling the boards as they came from the planer, and the accident was caused by the pile falling over upon him.  In falling Ford struck his head upon a stake sunk in the ground, crushing his skull.  In addition both legs and one wrist were broken, and he was injured internally.  Death was instantaneous.  Dr. Picot and Coroner Maynard were summoned but nothing could be done for the unfortunate lad.  The body was taken to Borgman's undertaking rooms.  The Coroner inquired into the facts and concluded that an inquest was unnecessary.  Ford was a son of Mr. and Mrs. Patrick Ford on Middle street.

From Shortsville Enterprise 7 July 1927

Thomas Ford,
so far as we know, Shortsville's oldest resident, died at his home in Clark street at noon on July Fourth. His age was 86 years, and death was occasioned by the infirmities of old age. Thomas Ford was born in Sussex, England, on June 30, 1841, a son of the late Robert and Sarah Ann Ford. He came to the United States, by way of Canada, on a sailing vessel, when but three months old. Eleven weeks were consumed in making the crossing. The family first located at Garbuttsville, N. Y., and he was brought up there.

On August 23, 1860, when but 19 years old, he enlisted in Troop I, Second U. S. Cavalry. He participated in the campaign against the Comanche Indians, in the Spring of 1861, when the Indians made a raid into Texas, bent on stealing cattle. When the Civil War broke out in 1861, his regiment was ordered east, after Fort Sumter has been fired on. The regiment then went to Washington, where it did picket duty, and was the first to cross the long bridge into the State of Virginia. The regiment was in the first Battle of Bull Run, in which Mr. Ford participated. He also served with the regiment at the Battle of Boonsburgh, Harper's Ferry, Antietam, South Mountain, Leesburg, Berlin, Culpepper, Manassas Gap and the Wilderness. In 1864, while the Regiment was under Sheridan on a raid towards Richmond, and during the Battle of the Wilderness, Mr. Ford, with 200 others, was captured by the 4th Virginia Cavalry and taken to Richmond, where they remained for a month. They were then sent to Andersonville prison, where he was kept for four months. He was then transferred to Savannah, Ga., and after nine days' stay was ordered to Camp Milun, nine miles from Augusta, Florida, where he was paroled on November 19, 1864. His right leg was drawn up in a right angle position from an attack of scurvy, which he suffered while in the prison at Andersonville. Mr. Ford was honorably discharged at the close of the War.

He was twice married, his first wife, Miss Jane Hilton, with whom he was united in North Carolina in 1867, died on July 16, 1903. Thirteen children blessed this union, two of whom are now living, Mrs. Chas. Benjamin of Batavia and Mrs. Harry Roe of Cayuga. In 1906 he married Mrs. Mahala Proper of Interlaken, who survives him. Private funeral services were held from his late home on Wednesday afternoon at 1:30 o'clock, conducted by the Rev. Leon L. Swarthout, pastor of the Manchester Baptist church. The remains were laid at rest in Brookside Cemetery, members of Herendeen Post, to which Mr. Ford belonged, assisting in the services at the graveside.

From Geneva Gazette 18 February 1876

Last Saturday morning, our citizens were most profoundly startled by the reported sudden death of an estimable townsman, Mr. George Fordon. Accompanied by a daughter, he rode into town about half past 10 o'clock, apparently in full enjoyment of his usually robust health. Leaving the daughter in the upper part of the village, he drove on down to Exchange street, and alighting, hitched his horse in front of Baker grocery. He stepped onto the sidewalk, and was observed for a moment to stand with right hand resting on a post and left hand in overcoat pocket. The next instant he fell forward with a heavy thud on the stone sidewalk, receiving a severe contusion over the left eye. But the fall and injury probably caused him no pain, as he evidently became insensible to thought and feeling ere he fell. The street was full of pedestrians and in a moment stalwart hands had raised and carried him into the adjacent saloon of Wm. Clare. Dr. Picot happened to be near at hand and was promptly at the side of the unconscious man. A single glance sufficed to convince the doctor that he was beyond human aid, pronouncing it a case of heart disease. One or two gasps and all was over. The body was then taken in charge by Coroner Weyburn, who had it conveyed to the International Hotel where a post mortem inspection took place and an inquest afterwards held at the office of John E. Bean, Esq. The examination clearly indicated organic disease of the heart as the cause of his death, in accordance with which testimony a verdict was rendered.

Mr. Fordon was widely known and as widely and most highly respected. He was a native of Yorkshire, England, emigrating to this country about forty years ago, and settled at once in the old town of Seneca where he has ever since resided. He was a progressive and remarkably successful farmer, early realizing the advantages of thorough draining and fertilizing lands. It is claimed for him that he was pioneer in blind ditching or underdraining, contesting such honor with one however better known to fame, Mr. John Johnson. He was an enthusiast in stock breeding, having himself imported a horse from whose loins sprung a race of powerful draught horses. None could be better than the beef cattle he fatted for market.

In the family, Mr. Fordon was kind and indulgent; in the social circle genial and generous; in dealings with fellow-men scrupulously just and prompt in discharging every obligation. At death he left a competence for his sons and daughters. His funeral took place from Trinity Church on Monday last.

From Geneva Daily Times 19 June 1922

The funeral of George F. Fordon, who died at Highland Hospital, Rochester, on Saturday morning last, will be held tomorrow afternoon at 3 o'clock at his late home, 181 Pulteney street. Rev. Kenneth A. Bray of St. Peter's Episcopal Church will officiate. Besides two sons and four daughters, Mr. Fordon leaves one sister, Mrs. Mary Barnes, of this city. Interment will be made in Washington Street Cemetery.

From Geneva Advertiser 18 November 1902

Miss Hannah Fordon
died at the home of her niece, Mrs. Mary Barnes, 11 Cortland street, November 13, 1902, aged 76 years.  The deceased had been in poor health for years and had been under the Doctor's care since last June, being confined to her bed.  She had been a resident of this city about 11 years. She was born in Yorkshire, England, coming to this country with her parents when only 6 years old. They took up their on a farm about three miles southwest of this city, where she lived until coming into the city.  Miss Fordon was a communicant of Trinity Church.  She is survived by one brother, George A. Fordon of this city, a nephew, George F. Fordon, and niece, Mrs. Mary Barnes.  The funeral took place from the house Saturday afternoon at three o'clock.  The Rev. Dr. Sills, rector of Trinity Church officiated.  Interment was in the family lot in Washington street cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 11 May 1908

Frederick Foreman,
aged 64 years, died Saturday night at 10:40 o'clock, at his home, No. 163 Lewis street, after an illness of about a year. He was born in Horsham, Sussex, England, and came to this country in 1872. In 1874 he accepted a position in the Locomotive department of the New York Central and Hudson River R. R.., at Syracuse. From there he went to Canandaigua, where he lived for about ten years and later moved to Rochester. In 1887 Mr. Foreman assumed the position as yard engineer for the N. Y. Central in this city and has resided here ever since. Mr. Foreman was a member of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, of the F. and A. M., No. 33, of this city, and the Tribe of Ben Hur. Besides his widow he leaves four children: two sons, Charles L. and Walter F., and two daughters, Florence A. and Edith M., of this city; two brothers, Charles of Syracuse, and Luke of Cardiff, Wales; and one sister, Mrs. A. J. Vandebrooke of Canandaigua. The funeral will take place tomorrow afternoon at Trinity church. Interment in Glenwood.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 26 October 1930

Canandaigua, October 25 - From the home of her daughter, Mrs. William Fogarty, in this city, Monday at 2 o'clock will be held the funeral of Mrs. James Forman of Rochester, formerly of this city, who died suddenly yesterday. Besides her husband, she leaves six daughters and five sons, Mrs. Lillian Sage and Mrs. Fogarty of Canandaigua, Mrs. Harrison Sawyer, Misses Ethel and Leona Forman and Emerson Forman of Geneva, Mrs. Cyreno Barrowcliff, Melvin J. and Barton Forman of Rochester, Reed Forman of Buffalo, Merle L. Forman of Boston; her mother Mrs. Hannah M. Carr, Canandaigua; one brother Richard Carr, Pittsford and 10 grandchildren

From Ontario County Journal 5 September 1890

Bristol Springs, N. Y. - We are sorry to announce the death, by spinal meningitis, of our townsman, James E. Forrest, aged 42 years. Mr. Forrest had for some years past been engaged in cutting lumber with a portable sawmill, near Bath, N. Y., and left home less than a month ago to start his mill, after a short vacation spent with his family, but came home again about two weeks since in very poor health, and his journey must have been too great an undertaking for him as he grew rapidly worse and died August 29th, in spite of the efforts of physicians and friends to save him. The deceased came from Michigan to this town about twelve years ago, and was universally esteemed among his neighbors as a genial, upright, industrious citizen, and his loss will be severely felt by his wife and daughter, by the band, of which he was an honored member, and by his neighbors and friends generally.

From Ontario County Journal 16 March 1900

Gorham, N. Y. - 
The death of Mrs. Susan M. Forrest occurred at the home of her daughter in Phelps on Saturday night, aged 75 years. Her remains were brought to this place for burial. The funeral services were held at the home of her son, Charles Forrest, at 1 o'clock, Rev. H. A. Carpenter presiding. Four children survive: Charles and William of this place; Mrs. C. L. Louden of Phelps; and Mrs. Ida Waters of Seneca Castle.

From Shortsville Enterprise 17 September 1898

Abram Forshay died at the home of his son, Harry Forshay, at 8 o'clock on Thursday evening, in his 79th year. Deceased had been in failing health for a long time.

From Ontario County Journal 5 August 1892

Shortsville, N. Y. - Mrs. Abram Forshay
died at her home in this place, Wednesday night, of heart failure. Her age was 70 yrs. Funeral services were held at the house Friday morning at 10 o'clock, Rev. D. D. Davis of Chapinville, officiating. A husband and four children, two sons and two daughters, survive her.

From Geneva Daily Times 14 June 1905

Edward H. Forster,
seventy-three years of age, died at 1 o'clock this morning at his home at Halls Corners after a five-months illness. The deceased was born at Halls and has resided in that vicinity throughout his life. He is survived by his wife and three brothers, William D. Forster, of Stanley; John and Charles Forster, of Halls Corners. The funeral will take place at 10 o'clock Friday morning from the house, Rev. J. B. Temple, of the Seneca Presbyterian church, will officiate. Burial will be in the Union Church cemetery.

From Geneva Gazette 30 September 1881

Another Pioneer Gone -
Passed to his eternal rest on Friday morning, Sept. 23, 1881, at Hall's Corners, N. Y., Mr. William Forster, in the 90th year of his age.

The deceased was born in Northumberland county, England, April 7th, 1793, and in 1817 emigrated to America, landing at Boston, and remaining in Massachusetts about 15 months. From thence in 1818, he removed to Clyde and engaged in business at farming for one year and in a grist mill one year with Wm. Parker. About the year 1820 he moved to Hall's Corners, engaged at farming again for about two years with Mr. Edward Hall. On the 15th Sept., 1823, he married Mary, eldest daughter of the late Geo. Caward, who still survives, aged 84 years. To them were born nine children, of whom six survive, five sons and one daughter. Of the three deceased one died in infancy, the other two reached adult age. Soon after his marriage, deceased took a part of the Hall farm to cultivate and managed it profitably to himself and the owner for ten years. In 1833 he purchased the Davenport farm about half a mile east of the Corners, which has been his homestead ever since. This farm was considered at the time of Mr. Forster's purchase one of the poorest in the old town of Seneca; but by ditching and intelligent management according to the English system in which he was well-versed, Mr. Forster made it one of the most productive in that town.

Deceased was a regular attendant at the Associate Reformed (now Presbyterian) Church in Seneca ever since it was established, and became a communicant therein in 1865. His life was ever one consistent with the walk and conversation of a Christian, although deferring so long actual Church membership. In the neighborhood, and wherever known, Mr. Forster was universally respected as a man of the highest honor, generous and obliging to a fault, of a most amiable disposition. We believe it can be truthfully said he never uttered a word to a human being that caused pain. Such a one, of course, made a most exemplary and loving husband and father. He was an intelligent, consistent Democrat from the hour he became an adopted citizen, and seldom, if ever, failed to vote a clean Democratic ticket at every election. His first vote for President was cast for Gen. Andrew Jackson in 1824, his last was as enthusiastically deposited for Gen. W. S. Hancock. The funeral of the deceased was held last Saturday afternoon, and was very largely attended. Rev. A. B. Temple officiated, and pronounced a fitting eulogium upon his life and character. The interment was made in the cemetery near the old Union Church west of Hall's Corners. In turning away after the last sad rites were performed, all present felt that a good man in all that the term can imply had entered upon a blessed reward.

From Ontario County Journal 2 June 1911

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - 
The death of Leander Forsyth, one of the oldest and most highly esteemed citizens, occurred at his home, west of this village, on Monday evening, at the age of 91 years. He was born at Lebanon, Conn., and came to this town at the age of 17 years. In 1847 he was united in marriage with Miss Lucy Quick, with whom he lived for more than half a century. They celebrated their golden wedding in 1897. Her death occurred in 1904. Mr. Forsyth had been remarkably well and active for a man of his age until the last three years. He took a trip to Connecticut at 84. He was the oldest member of the Canandaigua Baptist church. Mr. Forsyth is survived by a daughter and a son, Miss Kate Forsyth and Frank Forsyth of this town. The funeral was held from the family home on Wednesday afternoon at 3 o'clock and Rev. W. D. Robinson officiated.

From Victor Herald 18 September 1903

wife of Leander Forsyth, died at the family homestead in this town Monday evening, at 6 o'clock, in the 85th year of her life. Three and one-half years ago Mrs. Forsyth was taken with a stroke of apoplexy, and since that time, though at times able to be about, has been practically helpless. Mrs. Forsyth was born in Lyons, Wayne county, N. Y., and was one of a family of six sons and four sisters of Mr. and Mrs. Peter Quick. For fourteen years previous to her marriage to Mr. Forsyth, May 24, 1847, she lived at the old Eggleston Hotel, West Bloomfield. With her husband, who is now 83 years of age, Mrs. Forsyth has since lived in the town of East Bloomfield, for a greater part of the time in the hillside home where friends have always delighted to gather, and which has ever been the abode of an enviable spirit of mutual kindliness and hospitality. Mrs. Forsyth was a woman possessed of a quiet Christian grace and was truly beloved by the many who claimed her friendship.

Besides the widowed husband, two children remain of the immediate family, one daughter, Kate, who is at home, and Frank E. Forsyth, of this village. Two brothers, Frank Quick of Chesterton, Ind., and Charles of this town also survive. The funeral was held at the family residence this afternoon at three o'clock, Rev. William D. Robinson officiating. Interment was made in East Bloomfield cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 26 March 1943

Mrs. Catherine Fospero
of 87 East North street died last night at the Geneva General Hospital following a long illness. Surviving are her husband, Carl Fospero; two daughters, Mrs. Cosmo Gerace of Utica, Mrs. Samuel Minervino of Geneva; two sons, Paul B. of the U. S. Army located at the Army Air Base, Richmond, Va., and Cosmo F. of the 51st College Training Detachment, U. S. Army, at Rochester; two grandchildren; three brothers, Joseph and James Iannopollo of Geneva and Angelo Iannopollo of Dublin, Ireland; two sisters, Mrs. Helen Tarterri of Port Williams, Ontario, Canada, and Mrs. Mary Commesso of Italy. Funeral rites will be conducted Monday morning at 8:30 o'clock at the home and at 9 o'clock from St. Francis de Sales Church. Burial will be made in St. Patrick's cemetery.

From Ontario County Times 9 July 1890

Rushville, N. Y. -  Alanson Foster,
an old resident of this vicinity, a man that was much respected and who has many warm friends, died very suddenly on Thursday morning of last week, July 3, aged 71 years. The funeral, which was largely attended, was held at the M. E. church Saturday, July 5. The remains were buried in the cemetery here. A wife, one daughter, and four sons are left to mourn his death.

From Ontario County Journal 30 September 1892


Rushville, N. Y. - Mrs. Foster,
relict of the late Alanson Foster, died from kidney disease on Tuesday morning, Sept. 26. Her age was about 73 years. The funeral on Thursday, was at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. George W. Cole, in Gorham. Arthur Foster of Canandaigua is one of the sons of the deceased.

From Geneva Daily Times 27 October 1914

Rushville, N. Y. - 
Mrs. Candice Fisher Foster, one of Rushville's oldest residents, died yesterday morning in the home of her granddaughter, Mrs. Clarence Louden, in Main street, this village, aged nearly 88 years. Mrs. Foster descended from one of the pioneer families of this vicinity, her father Christian Fisher, having come here when the section was a wilderness. He was 22 years old and lived to be 102, retaining his mental faculties to the last. The old homestead was the farm now owned by William Fisher, a brother of the deceased, and on this farm, Mrs. Foster was born, being one of a family of five children of Christian and Candice Case Foster. Sixty-three years ago last March, she married Samuel Foster.

She had lived in this village twenty-five years and since her husband's death 22 years ago had spent much of the time with her sons and granddaughters. For many years she had been a faithful member of the Congregational church in this village. She leaves two sons and one daughter, Ira Foster of Rushville, Martin of Potter, and Mrs. Mary Williams of Syracuse; four granddaughters, Mrs. C. T. Louden and Mrs. L. P. Detro of Rushville, Mrs. James Gibbons of New York, and Mrs. Marshall Goodrich of Pultney; one brother, William C. Fisher of Rushville. The funeral will be held from the home of Mr. and Mrs. C. T. Louden Wednesday afternoon at 2 o'clock, Rev. R. C. Speer officiating, with interment in Rushville Cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 21 November 1904

Rushville, N. Y. -
The death of Mrs. Della Foster, aged about 70 years, occurred at the home of her daughter, Mrs. L. C. Williams, on the Middlesex road late Thursday night. Mrs. Foster had for many years been a great care, having lost her mind and much of that time she did not know her own children. She is survived by four daughters, Mrs. L. C. Williams, Mrs. Adelbert Ferguson of Middlesex, Mrs. Dr. Wixom of Atlanta and Mrs. R. Perry of Vine Valley. The funeral was held yesterday morning at the hour of service at the M. E. church, Middlesex.

From Geneva Daily Times, December 26, 1929, page 9

Mrs. Eliza Wisewell Foster, aged 76, of 76 William street, died at the Dixon Sanitarium yesterday morning following a long illness. She is survived by two sons, Lewis Foster of Elmira and Stewart Foster of Geneva; one sister, Mrs. Isabelle Bostwick of Geneva, and three grandchildren, Leon, Claude and Dorothy Foster of Geneva. The funeral will be held at 2 o'clock tomorrow afternoon from her late home, 76 William street, and will be private. Rev. Alexander Thompson of the North Presbyterian church will officiate and interment will be in Brookside Cemetery, town of Geneva. Thanks to Martha McGill for this contribution.

From Ontario County Journal 3 July 1903

With sincere sorrow was the news of the death of Mrs. William H. Foster received by a large circle of friends. Mrs. Foster passed away on Tuesday morning at the family home on West Gibson street. For more than a year she had made a brave struggle for life. Several times her life has been despaired of, but she had rallied each time. For two months she had seemed to gain strength, and her family had thought she might recover. On Sunday she began to fail, and grew rapidly worse until the end came. Mrs. Foster was born in Canandaigua 43 years ago. She was Emma Jane Barker, daughter of the late John Barker. Besides her husband, she leaves three daughters, Misses Jessie, Florence and Edith Foster; and one brother, J. Albert Barker, of this village; and two sisters, Mrs. George W. Smith, of Holcomb, and Mrs. A. C. Saxton of Brooklyn. She was a woman of sterling qualities and rare goodness of heart. To the poor and needy she was ever a friend, giving them her personal attention and substantial aid. Hers was a life of acts more than words. The funeral was held from her late home yesterday afternoon at 2 o'clock. Rev. Arthur Dougall, pastor of the Presbyterian church, of which she was  member, officiated. The interment was at Woodlawn.

From Geneva Daily Times 24 June 1908

At 7:30 o'clock last evening, Mrs. Fanny Eleanor Foster, wife of William M. Foster, passed away after a lingering illness. She was the eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George C. McLaughlin of Lewis street. she was born in Hamilton, Canada, in 1880, but came to Geneva when a child and has since resided here. Mrs. Foster has been a faithful member of the North Presbyterian church for fourteen years, engaging earnestly and acceptably in the various activities of the church. She served the Christian Endeavor Society for two years as its president, and taught in the Sunday School as long as her health would permit. Besides her husband she is survived by her parents and one sister, Miss May C. McLaughlin of this city. The funeral service will take place Friday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock from her late residence, No. 24 North Genesee street. Rev. David H. Craver will officiate and burial will be made in Glenwood Cemetery.

From Geneva Advertiser 30 January 1894

George Foster
died at his home, a mile or two east of Orleans, last Thursday, of a complication of diseases brought on by the grip.  He was the only son of John Foster, who died some fifteen years or more ago, and Mrs. Foster died only a few months later, leaving this only son, George, and a large and excellent farm, one of the best in the county.  Mrs. Geo. Foster survives, but we believe has no children.

From Ontario County Times 17 February 1869

The Geneva Gazette announces the sudden demise of H. T. E. Foster, Esq., a prominent farmer of that vicinity, and well-known throughout this and adjoining counties. On the 27th of last month, he received a fracture on the left knee by being struck with a piece of ice, while filling his ice house, but nothing serious was anticipated. On Wednesday morning, whilst reading a newspaper, he was taken with a pain in his side, and he expired in twenty minutes after. Hemorrhage of the lungs was the cause of death. His decease will be mourned by a large circle of friends and relations, by whom he was held in profound esteem.

From Geneva Daily Times 1 March 1909

Mrs. Harriet B. Foster, widow of the late William Foster, died yesterday at 1:45 o'clock at the City Hospital. Last Wednesday the deceased suffered a severe stroke of apoplexy and was removed to the hospital Saturday. She was 77 years old, was born in this city and has always made it her home. She was an active member of the First Presbyterian church. One son, George Foster, survives. The funeral will take place tomorrow afternoon from her late residence, No. 63 St. Clair street and at 3 o'clock at the First Presbyterian chapel. Interment in Glenwood.

From Ontario County Chronicle 15 January 1902

Harvey Clark Foster,
one of the best known residents of Canandaigua lake shore, died Tuesday evening of last week at Victoria Glen, on the west shore of the lake, aged 78 years. Mr. Clark had been a sufferer from rheumatism all his life. On the Saturday before his death he suffered a stroke of paralysis, which caused his death. In younger life, Mr. Foster bought books in various parts of the country and sold them at auction in Washington, New York, Boston, Chicago, and other large cities. He finally settled down to grape and fruit culture, living where he died over a quarter of a century. He was married twice, his first wife being Miss Helen Gasper of Fulton, N. Y., and his second wife, who survives him, was Miss Lillian I. Sharpe, also of Fulton. He is also survived by two daughters, Mrs. William Livingston, of New York, and Mrs. William Ives Ford, of Fairfield; two sons, Albert J. Foster, of this town, and Frank C. Foster, of Brooklyn, and an aged brother, Dr. Charles A. Foster of this village. The funeral was largely attended from the home of his nephew, William L. Foster, upper Main street, on Friday morning, the Rev. Freeborn G. Jewett, officiating.

From Geneva Daily Times 11 February 1907

Shortsville, N. Y. - The funeral of Jay Foster was held yesterday at his home north of this village. The deceased had been to Palmyra to do some trading and had just unharnessed his horse and was on his way to the house with his arms full of groceries when he was prostrated with heart trouble. He never regained consciousness. He lived but a few hours. Interment in Brookside Cemetery.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 13 February 1907

Manchester, N. Y. - 
Wednesday, Feb. 6, occurred the death of Jay Foster, aged 36 years. He suffered a stroke of apoplexy Tuesday about 4 o'clock and died the next morning at his home in Farmington. He was a man held in high esteem by all who knew him. He is survived by his wife, formerly Miss Nellie Corrigan of Fairport, and one son, Howard, aged 8 years. Funeral services were held at his late home Saturday morning, his remains were then taken to Fairport, his former home, where a second service was held at the home of his sister, Mrs. Jackson.

From Ontario County Chronicle 14 January 1903

Naples, N. Y. - Jay Foster,
an old soldier living in the south part of Naples, was found dead in his home Saturday. He came from South Bristol to Naples two years ago. His sudden death is attributable to heart disease consequent upon age and debility. His wife survives him.

From Ontario County Journal 23 June 1911

At 7:30 o'clock on Wednesday evening at his home on Chapin street, occurred the death of John G. Foster, aged 76 years, following five months illness from Bright's disease. Deceased was born at Aurora, Aug. 22, 1835, the son of a Quaker minister. He came to Canandaigua 45 years ago at the close of the war, and up to within a year of his death was actively engaged at his trade of carriage maker, he being a particularly skillful mechanic. He married Miss Adelia Ryan, Jan. 20, 1857, who, with three sons, Charles and John, now in Alaska, and Bert Foster of Rochester; and one daughter, Mrs. Jennie Thurston of New York City, survive. Deceased was a veteran of the civil war and served in Co. G, 8th N. Y. Heavy Artillery. Funeral services will be held at the home at 3 o'clock tomorrow afternoon and Rev. G. R. Dye will officiate.

From Ontario County Journal 8 March 1895

Last Sunday about noon, at her home on upper Main street, occurred the death of Mrs. Mary Foster, widow of William K. Foster, in the 79th year of her age. Mrs. Foster was born in the county of Kent, England; her husband was also a native of England, and was extensively engaged in the boot and shoe business here. He died in 1854 in the old Foster house, lower Main street, which still stands and is the oldest building in Canandaigua. Mrs. Foster had been an invalid for many years preceding her death, but she bore her sufferings bravely to the end. Her death was due to disease of the lungs. Five children survive her: W. L. Foster, Mrs. Harriet Lee, Mrs. Sarah J. Thompson, Mrs. A. Eugene Cooley, and Mrs. Sherman Reed. Mrs. Foster had long been a member of the Methodist church. The funeral services Wednesday afternoon were conducted by Rev. D. D. Campbell, D. D.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 6 December 1915
Geneva, Dec. 5 - Mrs. Matilda Brooks Foster,
widow of Rev. Colonel James P. Foster, died in the family home yesterday afternoon. Mrs. Foster was born eighty-three years ago in Barclay street, New York City, at that time the fashionable residence street of that city and was the daughter of Thomas Brooks, a well-known leather merchant and director of the famous old Shoe and Leather Bank of New York. During the Civil war, Mrs. Foster visited her husband at the several camps where he was stationed, assisting the regiment in various ways and providing the soldiers with clothing and other necessary articles. She was greatly beloved by the members of the regiment. Mrs. Foster leaves one son, James G. Foster, of this city; and two daughters, Mrs. T. Davis Prescott of Newark, and Miss Cornelia Brooks Foster, of this city. The funeral will be held from the home, 112 Washington street, Tuesday morning at 11:30 o'clock and will be private. Rev. Charles M. Hills, D. D., rector of Trinity Church will officiate and burial will be in Washington Street Cemetery. The bearers will be members of the local J. P. Foster Camp, which organization was named after her late husband. There will also be an escort of six members of Swift Post, G. A. R. as honorary bearers.

From Geneva Gazette 25 April 1890

A Young Woman Suicides -  
Canandaigua, April 21.  Saturday afternoon the body of a young woman about 25 years old was found in the outlet here.  Those who found the body summoned Coroner Benham, who ordered the remains removed to Crane's undertaking rooms and impaneled a jury.  They body was recognized as that of Miss Minnie Foster of Canandaigua, who had resided here with an uncle for several years and whose parents live in Rushville.

Some years since Miss Foster fell in love with a young man to whom her parents objected and brought about a separation between the young couple.  His sad death probably deranged her mind to such an extent that she committed suicide.  Several days ago she left her home in the village leaving a note, in which she said she was tired of life and intended to drown herself.

From Ontario County Chronicle 18 June 1902

Owen Foster,
a well-known resident of this village, died at his home on Tuesday, aged 65 years. Death was die to a complication of diseases contracted in the War of the Rebellion. He is survived by a widow, daughter, Mrs. Frank E. Howe, and son, Herbert Foster, of Canandaigua.

From Ontario County Journal 16 October 1885

Richard S. Foster,
of this village, died at the residence of his son, William H., on Friday morning last, aged 59 years. The deceased was an old and esteemed resident of Canandaigua and had a large circle of friends and acquaintances. He was a faithful soldier in the Union army, being a member of the 148th Regiment. The funeral Sunday afternoon was largely attended, Rev. Mr. Eastman conducting the services.

From Geneva Gazette 9 October 1891

Samuel Foster
of Rushville was found dead in bed last Saturday morning.  The evening before he was about town, apparently enjoying his usual good health.  In the night, he complained of rheumatic or neuralgic pains but soon found relief and fell asleep, from which he never awakened.  His age was 66 years.

From Geneva Gazette 1 September 1910

This community was shocked last Friday morning by the announcement of the death of Thomas B. Foster, oldest son of the late Col. James P. Foster, occurring no one knows how or when. He was about the streets as usual Wednesday, assisting in the J. G. Foster bookstore during the latter's absence with his mother and sister on a week's trip to Duluth. Wednesday evening he went home early and retired. He did not come down Thursday, a very busy day at the store, nor did he show up Friday morning. It created a feeling of uneasiness and an investigation later that morning he was found dead in bed, probably a case of apoplexy. His age was about 53 years and he is survived by his wife, youngest daughter of Mrs. S. H. Parker, and two daughters. It was impossible to communite with his mother, as she was somewhere on the great lakes bound for home. A telegram was sent to the office of the Northern Steamboat Co. at Buffalo to apprise her and her son and daughter. In this emergency Kennedy took charge of the body and removed it to his undertaking rooms until the arrival of the family. The funeral was held from the home of his wife's mother, Mrs. S. H. Parker, last Monday morning, attended only by the family and a few close friends, as it was attended to be private. Interment was in Washington Street Cemetery, beside the grave of his father, James P. Foster. The deceased's mother, brother and sister arrived home from their upper lakes trip Saturday morning, and did not learn of their bereavement until they alighted from the car in Geneva. One can well imagine the shock to them as they had left him the Saturday before in full health and strength.

From Ontario County Journal 30 December 1881

The death of Wm. Foster, of Clifton Springs, at Los Vegas, New Mexico, was announced by telegraph on Tuesday last. Mr. Foster went to the southwest several weeks ago with the hope of benefiting his impaired health. News of improvement was followed a few days after by the sad and startling announcement of his death. Mr. Foster was an old resident of Clifton Springs, and had done much for the public interests of that village. He was universally respected and esteemed. Two brothers survive him, Dr. Henry Foster of Clifton Springs, and Dr. Hubbard Foster of Buffalo. The deceased was about sixty-three years of age.

From Ontario County Journal 31 March 1916

Stanley, N. Y. -
The death of William Foster, an aged resident of the town of Seneca, occurred at Willard hospital on Saturday after a brief illness. He had been there only a few weeks previous to his death. Mr. Foster was well-known in this vicinity, having lived here nearly all his 80 years of life. He was a successful farmer, a good neighbor and respected citizen. Funeral services were held from his home on Monday, Rev. A. B. Temple, pastor of the Seneca Presbyterian church, officiating. There survive three children: Elizabeth, William, and George; and a brother, Clark, of Hall. Interment was in No. 9 cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 18 February 1910

Stanley, N. Y. -
The death of Mrs. William Foster occurred at her home one and one-half miles east of this village on Thursday morning, after an illness of nearly a year. Funeral services were held at the home on Saturday, Rev. A. B. Temple officiating. Mrs. Foster had been a faithful member of the Seneca Presbyterian church for several years and was loved and respected by all all who knew her. Her husband, three children, two sons, William and George, and one daughter, Lizzie, survive.

From Ontario County Chronicle 1 July 1903

Mrs. William H. Foster
died yesterday at the family home in West Gibson street after a long, lingering illness, aged 43 years. Mrs. Foster had suffered for several years from a complication of diseases, and although everything known to medical science was done to relieve her, she merely lingered between life and death until the end came. She is survived by her husband and three daughters, Misses Jessie, Florence and Edith Foster, all of this place.

Return to Ontario County Homepage

Copyright 2004-13, Ontario County NYGenWeb and each contributor and author of materials herein. All rights reserved.