"Fl" to "Foo" Obituaries

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 30 June 1913

Clifton Springs, June 29 - Mrs. Hattie G. Flack, wife of Samuel J. Flack, died at her home in LaDue avenue on Saturday morning, after an illness of only a few hours. Mrs. Flack leaves her husband and three children, Miss Clara Flack of Clifton Springs, Elmer A. Flack of Rochester, and Ernest Flack of Clifton Springs. The funeral will be held from her late home on Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock. This would have been her fifty-second birthday. The Rev. V. A. Sage, pastor of the local Baptist church, will conduct the services and the interment will be made in the Clifton Springs cemetery.

From Clifton Springs Press 3 July 1913

Mrs. Samuel J. Flack, died on Saturday, June 28th, after an illness of only a few hours, due to apoplexy. Mrs. Flack was born in the town of Manchester on June 30, 1861. She was the youngest child of Mr. and Mrs. Aurelius Wheeler. The greater part of her life until her marriage was spent in Manchester Center. On March 30, 1881, she was married to Samuel J. Flack, of Port Gibson. For twenty-five years of their married life they were residents of Clifton Springs. Mrs. Flack was a member of the Baptist church and of the circle of King's Daughters. She was a Christian whose life showed clearly her high ideals. To her friends she was one in whom they could safely repose great confidence; to her husband she was a helpful wife; and to her children a noble mother. Mrs. Flack is survived by her husband and by three children, Elmer Flack of Rochester, and Ernest and Miss Clara Flack of Clifton Springs; one sister, Mrs. J. C. VanArsdale of Manchester; and two brothers, Frank Wheeler of Bliss and Seldon Wheeler of Walworth. The funeral service was held at the family home on Monday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock, and was conducted by Rev. V. A. Sage, pastor of the Baptist church. The burial was made in the Clifton Springs cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 24 September 1875

Miller's Corners, N. Y. -
As you do not often publish communications from this village in your valuable paper, I may perhaps be excused for troubling you with a few lines in reference to the death of one of our most estimable citizens, John P. Flagg, Esq., well-known throughout this portion of the country as the man who kept the shoe store and made superior fine boots at Miller's Corners.  He died on the morning of Sept. 6th, after a protracted and very painful sickness, aged 65 years and 8 months. He was born in Northfield, N. H., from which place he migrated to East Hartford, Conn., where he married and settled for a few years.  Hard times led him to make an effort to better his condition and he therefore moved with his wife to Philadelphia and established himself in business.  Shortly after his arrival there disturbances arose between the the native and foreign elements of society, culminating finally in the "great riot" which proving too much for the peaceful disposition of Mr. Flagg, he disposed of his goods and business and returned to East Hartford, where he remained until the Spring of 1857, when he purchased a farm in Wyoming Co., N. Y., and removed there.  He soon disposed of his farm and eventually bought the place now owned by his widow in this village, and where for the past 11 1/2 years he has been located.  Mr. Flagg was an upright man, prompt in his business transactions and always reliable -- his word was as good as his bond, and both were as good as gold.  By his death a wife who had lived with him upwards of 40 years is deprived of a fond and devoted husband; a daughter of a kind, indulgent father; the church of one of the its most reliable supporters; society of one of its brightest gems and the world of one of its most priceless treasures - an honest man.

From Geneva Daily Times 21 January 1915

William Flaherty,
aged 40 years, died very suddenly at his home, No. 16 North Genesee street, last evening at 7:45 o'clock, from a stroke of apoplexy. Mr. Flaherty had not been in good health for some time, but feeling much better yesterday, decided last evening about 6 o'clock to go down to his place of business. As he reached the house of Dr. T. D. Rupert, he was taken ill and went into Dr. Rupert's office. His own physician, Dr. D. Campbell, was called, who sent for the city ambulance and took him to his home, where he died soon after. Mr. Flaherty was born in Waterloo and was the son of the late William Flaherty, of that village. He had been a resident of Geneva for the past fifteen years, being engaged mostly in the hotel and cafe business. For the past eight years he has been associated with Frank Mellon at the Seneca on Seneca street, under the name of Flaherty and Mellon. Besides his wife, Mr. Flaherty is survived by two children, William and John Flaherty, of this city; three sisters, Mrs. Philip McNaney, and Mrs. Thomas McNaney of Seneca Falls; and Mrs. John Murphy of Columbus, Ohio; three brothers, John Flaherty of Syracuse; Henry Flaherty of Nonscup, Conn., and James Flaherty of Schenectady. The body will be taken tomorrow afternoon to Penn Yan on the 2:30 Fall Brook train and the funeral services will be held at 10 o'clock Saturday morning from St. Michael's church in that village. Burial will be made in St. Michael's Cemetery, Penn Yan.

From Penn Yan Democrat 22 November 1928

Died - At the home of her son, J. H. Flanagan, in Stanley, Tuesday, November 26, Mrs. Mary Flanagan, widow of the late Patrick Flanagan, aged 90 years. She is survived by one daughter, Mrs. Cronen of Los Angeles, Cal.; three sons, Thomas of Los Angeles, Cal., Martin of Geneva and J. H. Flanagan of Stanley. The funeral will be held Friday morning at nine o'clock at the home of her son, J. H. Flanagan, in Stanley, and at 9:30 from St. Theresa's Church, Stanley. Burial will be made in St. Patrick's cemetery, Geneva.

From Geneva Daily Times 20 August 1906

Terrence Flanagan, seventy-five years of age, died at 8:10 o'clock last night at his home on the turnpike, four miles north of the city. The deceased was born in the county of Sligo, Ireland, in the year 1831. He came to this country and vicinity forty years ago. He is survived by two sons, James and John Flanagan, who live west of the city. The funeral will take place at ten o'clock Wednesday morning from St. Francis De Sales church. Burial will be in St. Patrick's.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 29 January 1933

Canandaigua, N. Y., Jan 28 -
From the home of Mrs. Alfred Henish in Bristol Sunday at 2:30 p.m., funeral services for Mrs. Winifred Flanders, 69, former resident of Canandaigua, who died Friday at the home of son, the Rev. Myron E. Wilder, in Jamestown, will be conducted. Besides her son, she leaves a daughter, Mrs. William Nudd of Canandaigua; two sisters and two brothers, Mrs. Henish, Mrs. John Wilder of Cleveland, Gooding Bliss of Shortsville and Lester Bliss of Canandaigua; and four grandchildren.

From Geneva Daily Times 1 July 1944

Mrs. Margaret Flanigan
died at her home on the Orleans-Chapin road last night after a long illness. Surviving are one son, J. Earl, at home; one sister, Mrs. Julia Traynor of Geneva; and several nephews and nieces. The funeral will be held Monday morning at 9 o'clock from her late home and at 9:30 from St. Felix's Catholic Church, Clifton Springs. Burial will be made in St. Patrick's cemetery, Geneva. Rev. J. M. O'Brien will officiate.

From Geneva Daily Times 12 October 1942

Hopewell, N. Y. -
The funeral of John Flannagan was held on Friday from Ahrens and Breen Funeral Home and at 9 o'clock from St. Mary's Church, Canandaigua. Interment was in Calvary Cemetery. Mr. Flannagan, a resident of Hopewell, died on Wednesday. He is survived by a daughter, Mrs. Harvy Barnes of Glochester, New Jersey.

From Geneva Daily Times 30 September 1895

The remains of Mrs. Margaret Flannagan, who died in Hopewell at 5 o'clock yesterday morning at the age of 57 years, will be brought to Geneva. The funeral will be held from St. Francis de Sales church on Tuesday morning at 10:30 o'clock.

From Geneva Daily Times 10 May 1909

Thomas Flannagan
of Hopewell, aged 39 years, died Friday in the Canandaigua Hospital. He leaves a widow, one son, four sisters, Mrs. Stephen Malone and Miss Lucy Flannagan of Hopewell; Mrs. William H. Murphy of this city; and Mrs. D. Berragan of Canandaigua; and also two brothers, John Flannagan of Hopewell and William Flannagan of Canandaigua.

From Geneva Gazette 17 May 1901

Mrs. Ann M. Flannery
died at the family home, 12 Middle street, last Friday night of pneumonia, aged 70 years.  She is survived by three sons -- Patrick, John and Richard.  Interment in the Catholic cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 3 May 1929

The death of Mrs. John P. Flannery, aged 82 years, occurred early this morning at her home, 9 Middle street, after an illness of several weeks. She is survived by her husband, one son, John F. Flannery of Waterloo; four daughters, Mrs. T. A. Jennings and Mrs. Catherine Bowman of this city; and the Misses Margaret and Helen Flannery of Rochester; six grandchildren and several nieces and nephews. Mrs. Flannery was a member of the Rosary Society of St. Francis de Sales Church. Interment will be in St. Patrick's cemetery.

From Geneva Gazette 28 June 1901

The death of Thomas Flannery occurred Sunday afternoon at 4:30 o'clock at the City Hospital, where he had been a patient the past week.  His age was 55 years and for years he conducted a grocery on Middle street.  The remains were taken to the home of his brother, John Flannery, of 9 Middle street, who survives him; also one other brother, Patrick Flannery, of Castlebar, Ireland, and one sister, Mrs. Mary Fleming of Castlebar.  The cause of death was rheumatism of the heart.

From Ontario County Journal 22 October 1897

Hugh Flannigan,
one of Holcomb's esteemed citizens, died at the home of his son on Friday afternoon. Deceased was born in County Down, Ireland, Feb. 15, 1828. At the age of 28 he came to East Bloomfield and was foreman of the cooper shop of M. & L. Shephard for a number of years. Thirteen years ago he opened a shop at Holcomb, which business he has continued until the time of his death. The funeral services were held from St. Bridget's church on Monday morning at 10 o'clock. The Rev. Father Garvey officiated. Mr. Flannigan is survived by seven children: four sons, Michael of South Bend, Hugh of Buffalo, Patrick of Rochester, and James of this place; three daughters, Mrs. Peter P. Turner and Mrs. Thos. Johnson of Canandaigua, and Maria of this place.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 26 April 1926

Canandaigua, N. Y., April 25 - John Flannigan,
80 years old, proprietor of the famous Flannigan's restaurant here for half a century, and for years prominent in the Democratic councils of the state, died this afternoon at his home in North Main street, after an illness of fifteen weeks with stomach trouble. Mr. Flannigan founded an oyster house when he was 20 years old. The restaurant was sold about sixteen years ago to John E. Murphy, who since has conducted it. As Democratic state committeeman for many years from this district, the counsel of Mr. Flannigan was sought eagerly by Democratic leaders, both in state and nation. He was a close friend and counsellor of the late President Cleveland. He also was a warm personal friend of the late Senator John Raines, Republican leader in this section when Mr. Flannigan was concerned most actively in politics. Many theatrical stars of a generation ago dined at Flannigan's restaurant, both those who had occasional engagements in Canandaigua and those who made the trip from Rochester to renew their acquaintance with Mr. Flannigan. He leaves his wife; one son, John S. Flannigan of this city; and a sister, Mrs. Thomas (can't read) of Auburn.

From Geneva Daily Times 22 August 1905

Clifton Springs, N. Y. -
At about fourteen miles east of Buffalo Sunday morning at about 5 o'clock occurred the death of John A. Flannigan of this village. He was fireman on the New York Central railroad and while making his usual run, he was struck by some portion of the engine, rendered unconscious and fell out of the car on the track in such a manner that the train passed over his body and it was mutilated almost beyond recognition. The train was running at about twenty miles an hour at this time and ran for some distance before the accident was discovered. Mr. Flannigan was 24 years of age. He leaves a large circle of friends in Clifton Springs and Orleans, his former home. He is survived by his mother, one sister and one brother of this village. The funeral services will be held in St. Felix church in this village tomorrow morning at 9:30 and burial in the St. Agnes cemetery.

From Phelps Citizen 23 September 1920

The death of Mrs. Anne Brady Flannigan, widow of Patrick Flannigan, occurred at the family home at Orleans on Wednesday of last week, after an illness extending over a period of six years. Mrs. Flannigan was born at Lady Roth, Ireland, 84 years ago, the youngest of a large family, and coming to this country, was married to married to Patrick Flannigan in 1876. Since her marriage she had been a resident of this town, where her husband died in 1906. She is survived by a daughter, Mary Flannigan and a son, Francis P. Flannigan, who resided with her. The funeral service was held on Saturday at St. Felix Catholic Church in Clifton Springs, and burial was made in St. Agnes Cemetery in that village.

From Geneva Daily Times 3 January 1905

Clifton Springs, N. Y. - Patrick Flannigan
died at the home of his daughter on Crane street yesterday morning of cancer of the face. About two months ago, Mr. Flannigan had an operation in Rochester, but it did not prove successful.

From Ontario County Journal 17 November 1911

Stanley, N. Y. -
The death of Patrick Flannigan occurred at his home Monday morning after an illness of several weeks, aged 75 years. Mr. Flannigan had been a successful farmer near Gorham for many yrs until his removal here three years ago. He was a good neighbor and respected by all who knew him. Funeral services were held from St. Theresa's church, Wednesday morning, with burial at Geneva. A widow, three sons and one daughter, survive.

From Ontario County Journal 17 November 1882

North Bloomfield, N. Y. -
The body of George Flatung was found last Saturday morning at the forks of the road above Alfred Gates'. On examination it was found that he had shot himself in the side. It will be recollected that he shot at his wife and fired her building only a few days before. A coroner's inquest was held in the afternoon.

From Geneva Daily Times 25 April 1904

Mrs. Arminda Fleming,
widow of the late Henry G. Fleming, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. T. W. Mills, No. 55 Tillman street, aged seventy-nine years. The deceased who had been in ill health for eight months, had been confined to her bed since Christmas. She was one of the old residents of the city, having lived here all her life, with the exception of one year. She was born in Shannontown, near Starkey, N. Y., in 1825, and came to this city with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. R. A. Gleason, when she was one year old. May 6, 1846, she was married to Mr. Fleming, who died in 1855. In early life she joined the First Presbyterian church and upon the erection of the North Presbyterian church she transferred her membership. She is survived by one son, Amos Fleming, and Mrs. T. W. Mills, and Mrs. M. A. Phelps of Indianapolis. Mrs. C. W. Squires, her youngest daughter, died March 19, 1903. The funeral will take place tomorrow at 3 o'clock, from Mrs. Mills, Rev. N. B. Remick, D. D., officiating. Burial will be in the family lot, Washington street cemetery.

From Penn Yan Democrat 13 December 1918

Died, in Rushville, November 29, Mrs. Esther Fleming, aged 73 years. She was born in Benton on October 30th, 1845, a daughter of Jacob and Mary Dubois. For several years she has suffered with heart trouble and asthma, which caused her death. Her husband, Jesse Fleming, died three years ago. She leaves one son, Clark Fleming; and one daughter, Mrs. Allen; and two granddaughters, Bessie Allen and Mrs. George Miller, all of Rushville; also four sisters, Mrs. Joseph Shepherd of Rushville, Mrs. Josephine Bissell of Phelps, Mrs. Etsavilla Tompkins of Naples, and Mrs. Theresa Tompkins of Binghamton; also one brother, Charles Dubois of Rushville.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 22 December 1924

Geneva, N. Y. - John Fleming
, of No. 45 John street, died yesterday at Geneva City Hospital. He was a member of the Holy Name Society of Saint Francis de Sales Church. He leaves his wife and three sons, John and Lawrence Fleming, of Geneva, and Peter Fleming, of Rochester. Funeral services will be held from Saint Francis de Sales Church at 9 o'clock Tuesday morning. Interment will be made in Saint Patrick's cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 30 April 1925

Mrs. Mary Fleming,
aged 68 years, died this morning about 10 o'clock, at the home of her son, Francis Fleming of 47 Middle St. She is survived by four sons, Francis, Michael and Nicholas Fleming of Geneva, and Thomas Fleming of Columbus, Ohio; four daughters, Mrs. William Downey of Palmyra, Mrs. John Holleran, Mrs. Robert Hurley and Mrs. Christopher Carroll of this city; one sister, Mrs. Anna McDonald of Buffalo; also several grandchildren.

From Shortsville Enterprise 8 April 1915

On Saturday evening at the home of her brother, Edward Youngs, occurred the demise of one of Farmington's well-known and respected residents, Mrs. Mary A. Fleming, widow of Oliver Fleming, aged 75 years. Mrs. Fleming was a native of Oaks Corners but had made her home in Farmington for the past 10 years. Her parents were the late Rev. William and Lucinda VanDeren Youngs. She was married to Oliver Fleming on August 16, 1866, and his death occurred several years ago. Two brothers, James Youngs and Edward Youngs of Farmington and two sisters, Mrs. Charles Clark of Newark, and Mrs. Harvey Foote of Ontario, are the survivors.  Funeral services were held from the Edward Youngs home on Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock, Rev. Donald H. MacKenzie, pastor of the Shortsville Presbyterian church, officiating. The interment followed in Brookside cemetery in this place.

From Geneva Daily Times 1 March 1904

Shortsville, N. Y. - Salona Fleming,
seventy-seven, of this village, died at her home on East Main street Sunday morning, of tuberculosis. Mrs. Fleming was born in Hartland, Oneida county, and was one of thirteen children. She has been a resident of this town over fifty years, and of this village twenty-one years. In 1843 she was married to Peter E. Snyder, who died in 1890; and on March 25, 1897, she was united in marriage with William Fleming, both bride and groom being over 70 years of age. Mr. Fleming died April 25, 1901. Mrs. Fleming is survived by one daughter, Mrs. Joseph V. Peacock of Avon, two sons, Franklin and Julius Snyder, of Canandaigua, one sister, Mrs. Jacob Cole, of Shortsville, and three brothers, one living in Wayne county and two in Michigan. The funeral took place this afternoon, a service being held at the house at two o'clock and at the M. E. Church at 2:30, conducted by the Rev. Charles Eddy, the pastor. Interment was at Brookside.

From Geneva Daily Times 28 September 1903

The funeral of the late Thomas Fleming was held from St. Francis de Sales church at 10 o'clock this morning and was largely attended. The solemn high mass of requiem was said by the Rev. Stephen McPadden. The bearers were John O'Neill, Edward Kenney, Michael Murphy, Martin Murphy, Andrew Desmond and Daniel Creedon. Numerous handsome floral tributes were received by the family from the many friends of the deceased. Burial was made in St. Patrick's cemetery.

From Ontario County Chronicle 1 May 1901

Willard L. Fleming, a former resident of this place, and who has of late resided in Shortsville, died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. A. G. Simpson, in this village, on Thursday. The funeral was held from her home Saturday morning, the remains being taken to West Eaton, Madison county, his former home. Deceased was aged about 76 years. He is survived by a wife and daughter.

From Ontario County Journal 29 April 1898

Academy, N. Y. - Alfred Fletcher
died on Sunday, April 24, of pneumonia . His wife, Almeda Hulse, died one week previously. They leave a family of three little children.

From Ontario County Journal 22 April 1898

Bristol Springs, N. Y. - Mrs. Alfred Fletcher,
of Covel Settlement, died on Sunday night last of pneumonia, and Mr. Fletcher and one child are dangerously ill with the same complaint. Mrs. Fletcher was the daughter of Henry Hulse, and was a kindhearted wife and mother. She leaves a husband and three small children.

From Ontario County Journal 3 September 1909

Bristol Center, N. Y. -
On Sunday, Aug. 22, at his home on West hill, occurred the death of Charles Fletcher, aged 54 years. The deceased is survived by his wife, two sons and six daughters, and one brother, William Fletcher of Buffalo. Mr. Fletcher formerly lived near Caledonia, but spent the greater part of his life in this town. His wife was Miss Henrietta Miller of this place.

From Geneva Daily Times 22 June 1917

Gilbert R. Fletcher,
aged 22 years, died yesterday afternoon at 3:30 at Geneva City Hospital, after a week's illness of pneumonia. He leaves his wife, one daughter, Evelyn Fletcher; his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Gilbert W. Fletcher; and his grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Rush Probasco of this city.

From Elmira Telegram 17 August 1919

Honeoye Falls, N. Y., Aug. 16 - Jerome E. Fletcher
died at the home of his son, Everett Fletcher, one mile north of West Bloomfield. Mr. Fletcher was the oldest person in this vicinity and had he lived until the 17th of November, he would have been 102 years old. He was a son of William and Betsy Fletcher and was born in Geneseo, November 17, 1817. That he come from long-lived stock is shown by the fact that his father lived to be 103 years of age. Mr. Fletcher grew to manhood in this vicinity and served as a soldier during the Mexican war. He was twice married. His second wife, to whom he was united in 1855, died about twelve years ago. During the early 60's, he lived near Decatur, Mich., where he was in the employ of the government. About 1865 he came to Bristol where he continued to work at his trade as carpenter and wheelwright until over ninety years of age. About eight years ago he came to West Bloomfield to reside with his son. His health has always been good and in his later years he was able to read coarse print without glasses. He is survived by four sons, Orestes Fletcher of Canandaigua; Oscar and J. Cooley Fletcher of Holcomb, and Everett Fletcher of West Bloomfield; also one brother, Melanction Fletcher, a ninety-years-old resident of Benton Harbor, Mich. The funeral was held from his late home Friday afternoon at 2 o'clock, with interment in the Codding cemetery at Bristol.

From Geneva Daily Times 27 August 1932

John Fletcher,
aged 90, of Pulteney street, died at the Dixon Sanitarium last night following a long illness. He leaves his wife, Mary; two sons, Gilbert W. of Geneva and John O. of Rochester; one daughter, Mrs. R. A. Millefont of Washington, D. C.; three grandchildren; one great-granddaughter; and one brother, George Fletcher of Christ Church, New Zealand. Mr. Fletcher was born in England and came to this country when a young man. He settled in Geneva and had remained here since. Private funeral services will be held Monday morning at 11 o'clock at the home of his son, Gilbert, Hamilton street, with the Rev. Dr. J. B. Hubbs officiating. Burial will be in Glenwood Cemetery.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 8 August 1906

Bristol, N. Y. - 
Died in Bristol, July 29, Louisa, wife of Jerome Fletcher, aged 78 years. Mrs. Fletcher was a native of Bristol, the daughter of Jeremiah and Altha Wilson Fisher, sister of the late O. N. Fletcher. In early life she became the wife of John Coole, who died with smallpox, and she later married Mr. Fletcher, who survives. She leaves four sons, Everett, Orestes, Oscar and Cooley. Only one of her own family survives, Dr. Leroy Fisher of Elkhart, Ind. Burial at East Hill, where many of her friends are buried. 

From Ontario Repository and Messenger 28 June 1876

This centenarian colored man, about whom so much has been said the past year or two, died at the Ontario County House, on Sunday, June 18th. He was buried on the 20th inst. From reliable data Mr. Fletcher was born in Boston, October 12th, 1762, and at the time of his death was over 113 years of age, but from his general appearance and bearing did not appear to be over 80 years.

From Geneva Daily Times 8 November 1897

The funeral of Mrs. Adaline Flinn, whose death occurred early Saturday morning at her home, 370 Exchange street, was held from her late residence at 2 o'clock and from the Methodist church at 2:30 o'clock this Monday afternoon, the Rev. Dr. Broadway officiating. Interment was made in Glenwood cemetery. Mrs. Flinn is survived by a daughter and a son, Mrs. Lucy King of Elmira, and George H. Flinn, and three grandchildren, Fred and Misses Addie and Bessie Flinn. Mrs. Flinn had been a resident of Geneva for 55 years, and a member of the Methodist church for almost as long a period. Her death came very suddenly for she had seemed apparently as well as usual. Her daughter, Mrs. Lucy King, was at the home at the time and heard her mother moving about not more than ten minutes before her death, but was soon after attracted by her heavy breathing, and on going to her bedside found her dying. Her next door neighbor was called in and the doctor was summoned, but she passed quietly away.

From Geneva Daily Times 12 October 1925

Stanley, Oct. 10 -
The death of Mrs. Grace Flinn of Stanley occurred Friday morning a week ago after an extended illness of many weeks. She is survived by her husband, Fred Flinn, Sr., and eight sons and three daughters, Mrs. J. R. Charlton of Stanley, W. J. Spike of Middlesex, Miss Lena Flinn, a registered nurse who has cared for her during her long illness, Mr. Ben Flinn of Geneva, Ralph Flinn of Stanley, John Flinn of Rushville, Elliott Flinn of Stanley, Fred Flinn, Jr., of Alcatraz, California, who is in the U. S. Army, Oscar, Orson and Merton Flinn, all of Stanley. The funeral was held on Sunday at 1 p.m. from her late home. Burial was made in the Bellona Cemetery.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 20 November 1907

The funeral services over the remains of Charles Flint of this village, who died Saturday of heart failure at the Memorial Hospital, were held Monday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock from the undertaking rooms of Grant M. Kennedy. Rev. H. L. Gaylord of the Episcopal church officiated. The interment was in West avenue cemetery. The deceased was 66 years of age at his death. For many years he drove a stage between Canandaigua and Palmyra and later was employed as rural mail carrier at Naples, having a large number of friends in this vicinity. The deceased is survived by six children, comprising three sons, George who lives in Geneva; Harry of New York City and Edwin of San Francisco; also three daughters, Mrs. J. Van Brooker and Misses Eva Flint of this place, and Ella Flint of Prattsburg.

From Ontario County Journal 27 September 1895

Monday morning, after a long period of intense suffering, occurred the death of Mrs. Prudence Jane Flint, aged 52 years. Death was due to cancer and other conflictions. Mrs. Flint was the mother of seven children. The funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon, Rev. D. D. Campbell officiating.

From Shortsville Enterprise 22 September 1911

The death of Mrs. Ruth E. Flint, relict of the late James Flint, occurred at her home in Brewster st. about 5 o'clock on Saturday morning last, resulting from  a stroke of paralysis. She had been ill only a week. Her age was 68 years. Mrs. Flint was born at Parma, this State, on April 14, 1843, and was a daughter of the late Corydon and Mercy Chittenden. She was united in marriage  with James Flint of South Sodus on December 20, 1883, whose death occurred several years ago. Her life was passed in the towns of Sodus and Arcadia, and for the past three years had been a resident of Shortsville. She is survived by one daughter, Miss Matie Flint, of this village; three brothers, James Chittenden of West Main street; Alonzo Chittenden of Sodus Point, and Cornelius Chittenden of Palmyra; also many nephews and nieces, among the latter being Mrs. Russell McLouth of West Main street. The funeral services were conducted at her late home on Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock by Rev. Hoyt F. Hill, pastor of the local M. E. church, and the interment was made at Palmyra.

From Geneva Daily Times 20 March 1944

Mrs. Bridget Flood
of 21 North Main street died yesterday morning at Clifton Springs Sanitarium after a long illness. Surviving are three sons, Arthur M. of Geneva, Robert J. of Seattle, Wash., and Alfred J. of Geneva; four grandchildren; two sisters, Miss Mary and Miss Margaret O'Neill of Geneva; three brothers, Patrick and Arthur O'Neill of this city and James O'Neill of Annapolis, Md. Mrs. Flood was a member of Rosary Society of St. Francis de Sales Church. Last rites will be conducted Wednesday morning at 8:30 from the home and at 9 o'clock from St. Francis de Sales Church. Burial will be made in St. Patrick's cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 2 March 1944

Gorham, March 2 - John F. Flood,
30, died on Wednesday at his home following a long illness. He is survived by his wife, Charlotte; a son, James; a brother, Dr. Leo Flood of Hempstead, L. I.; two sisters, Lieutenant Anastasia Flood, Army nurse, now in England, and Miss Margaret Flood, who has been postmistress at Gorham for a number of years. The funeral will be held on Saturday morning at St. Theresa's Church, Stanley. Burial will be made in St. Patrick's cemetery, Geneva.

From Ontario County Journal 12 July 1878

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - Mrs. Michael Flood
departed this life Wednesday, June 26th, aged 55 years. Funeral services were held at St. Bridget's Friday morning, Rev. Father Hughes officiating.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 24 January 1906

Stanley, N. Y. - Mrs. Michael Flood
died at her home near Stanley Saturday, Jan. 13. The funeral was held at the Geneva Catholic church Tuesday morning with interment in Geneva. She is survived by her husband and three sons.

From Ontario County Journal 15 October 1886

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - The funeral of Michael Flood, who died suddenly Tuesday, Oct. 5th, was held on Thursday at St.  Bridget's Church.

From Ontario County Journal 3 May 1912

Stanley, N. Y. -
The death of Michael Flood occurred at his home a short distance west of this village on Friday night. Mr. Flood was stricken with paralysis about four weeks ago and from that time, he gradually failed. Funeral services were held from St. Theresa's church at 9 a.m. Monday with burial at Geneva. Three sons survive, Dr. Thomas Flood of Gorham, James of Geneva, and William, of this place, with whom his father lived.

From Geneva Daily Times 7 January 1904

Robert F. Flood,
forty-two years of age, a teamster who had been employed by D. H. Patty, died at 4 o'clock this morning from diphtheria at his home, 304 William street. The deceased had been working  usual until Tuesday morning when he was  taken violently ill. Dr. C. D. McCarthy was called and found that the patient had an acute attack of diphtheria. The house was quarantined and the two children of the deceased were treated with antitoxin. Notwithstanding that everything was done for the man death resulted this morning. Mr. Flood had lived in this city for ten years. He is survived by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Michael Flood, of Stanley, and his two children, eleven and seven years respectively. The funeral took place at 4 o'clock this afternoon from the home. Burial took place in St. Patrick's cemetery. Health Officer McCarthy stated this afternoon that he could not trace the origin of the case and it was only a sporadic outbreak of the disease. As the children have been treated with antitoxin he believes that they are rendered immune, and that there will be no further cases.

From Geneva Daily Times 23 April 1940

Gorham, N. Y. -  Dr. Thomas Flood,
76, died yesterday at the Canandaigua Memorial Hospital following a long illness. Dr. Flood had been a practicing veterinary in Gorham for over forty years. He leaves his wife, two sons, Dr. Leo Flood of Hempstead, L. I., and Jack of Gorham; two daughters, Anastasia of Hempstead, and Margaret of Gorham. The funeral will be held Thursday morning at 9 o'clock at St. Theresa's church with a requiem mass celebrated by the Rev. Edward Ball. Burial will be made in St. Patrick's cemetery, Geneva.

From Geneva Daily Times 14 April 1902

Mrs. Thomas Flood
died at the family residence, nine miles northeast of this city, at 12 o'clock Saturday night, aged 58 years. The funeral will take place from St. Francis de Sales church tomorrow morning at an hour not yet decided upon. Interment will be in St. Patrick's cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 2 January 1914

Stanley, N. Y. -
The death of William Flood occurred at his home near this village on Tuesday morning after an illness of several months, of tuberculosis. He had been confined to his bed for only a few weeks, but failed rapidly the past week. He is survived by his wife, who was formerly Mary Roach, of this village, and two small children. Two brothers also survive, Dr. Thomas Flood of Gorham and James, of Geneva. Mr. Flood was elected town collector at last fall's election.

From Geneva Daily Times 21 September 1908

Died at her home, No. 427 Main street, Sunday morning, September 20th, at 5 o'clock, Mrs. Caroline Flower. She is survived by one daughter, Mrs. W. L. Young; one grandson, Stuart F. Dey; and one granddaughter, Mrs. Edwin S. Siglar; two sisters, Mrs. Eliza Clark of Geneva, and Mrs. Margaret Ackley of Canisteo, N. Y. The funeral will take place tomorrow afternoon at 3 o'clock from the house. Rev. W. W. Weller, pastor of the First Presbyterian church will officiate. Burial Washington Street Cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 6 November 1897

The sudden death of Adelaide Flynn of Exchange street occurred at her home at about 5 o'clock this morning at the age of 77 years, without premonition and before medical assistance could be summoned. She was in her bed and passed away almost without the knowledge of her friends, and she breathed but a few times after being found in a dying condition. Dr. H. D. Weyburn was called and notified Coroner Wright, who through the doctor gave a certificate of death from general debility and old age. The deceased had attended the Salvation Army meeting on the previous evening, and on coming home, complained of rheumatic pains. Notice of the funeral will be given later.

From Geneva Daily Times 17 August 1918

Word has been received by relatives here of the death of Andrew Flynn, a private in the United States Army. Flynn was in training at Troy, New York, where he contracted pneumonia last Saturday and died this morning at 1 o'clock. He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. James Flynn of 26 Kirkwood Avenue and himself lived on the Lyons Road where his wife and children still reside. Flynn  was a British subject, having only taken out his first papers here, and when the British draft was put through, he was called but immediately transferred to the U. S. Army. He is survived by his wife and small children and two brothers who are in France. One brother has already been killed in action.

From Geneva Daily Times 25 June 1904

Phelps, N. Y. - Daniel Flynn
died Thursday afternoon, after a brief illness. He was sixty-three years of age and is survived by two sisters, Kate and Ellen Flynn of Phelps and John Flynn of Chicago.

From Geneva Daily Times 5 December 1903

Rushville, N. Y. - Mrs. Eliza Flynn,
aged about seventy years, died at her home west of the village yesterday from apoplexy. Mrs. Flynn lived alone and was found in an unconscious condition Wednesday evening, from which she never rallied.

From Ontario County Journal 24 July 1908

The death of Mrs. Ellen Dwyer Flynn, wife of Michael Flynn, occurred at an early hour on Saturday morning after a long illness during which she had been confined to her bed for two months. Mrs. Flynn was born in Ireland 68 years ago and came to Canandaigua at the age of eight years. After her marriage to Mr. Flynn, their home was at Gorham until they came to reside with their son, Thomas F. Flynn, owner and proprietor of the Imperial Hotel, five years ago. She leaves, besides her husband and son, two sisters, Mrs. P. J. Gleason and Mrs. John Murray; and one brother, Police Justice, John J. Dwyer. The funeral was held Monday morning from St. Mary's Church, Rev. James T. Dougherty, Rev. J. J. Masseth and Rev. J. D. Donnelly, of Victor, officiating. The bearers were nephews of the deceased: John E., James J., and Michael Dwyer and Thomas P., John and W. D. Murray.

From Ontario Republican Times 8 February 1861

James Flynn
and Mary, his wife, were found frozen to death this morning at their place of residence on Jail street in this village. Coroner Howe, of Phelps, held an inquest on the bodies and the evidence elicited showed that the deceased were both habitual drunkards, and that on the afternoon and evening of Thursday, they were in a state of helpless intoxication. It appeared also that the woman's clothing was on fire in the evening about eight o'clock, but a neighbor went to her assistance and succeeded in extinguishing it. They were heard in their rooms about 1 o'clock, and later still their son was seen asleep in an apology for a bed, while his parents lay drunk upon the floor, where they were found dead about eight o'clock this morning.

From Geneva Daily Times 8 December 1908

Canandaigua, N. Y. - James Flynn,
who was formerly a member of the Ontario Board of Supervisors, died yesterday morning at his home in Holcomb. Mr. Flynn was a native of Ireland; he came to this section when only 6 years of age. He lacked five days of completing a half century of life. Mr. Flynn leaves his wife, a son and a daughter, all of Holcomb. He served as Democratic supervisor from 1906 till 1907, and also served as constable and collector for many years.

From Victor Herald 5 July 1901

Fishers, N. Y. -
The funeral of John Flynn, who has been a resident of this town for many years, was held Saturday morning from the Catholic church in Victor. Mr. Flynn was well-known and liked and will be missed by a large number of friends.

From Ontario County Journal 16 July 1909

Death came suddenly to John Flynn, at his home on North Pleasant street on Friday morning. He was stricken before arising and expired before physicians arrived. A heart ailment was the cause of death. Deceased was born in this village and upon the same street where he died 56 years ago. There survive, his wife and a daughter, Miss Katerine Flynn, two brothers, James D. of this village, and Andrew of Rochester, and one sister, Miss Marie Flynn of Canandaigua. Funeral services were held on Monday morning at St. Mary's church and burial was in Calvary cemetery. Mr. Flynn's fellow employees at the Lisk factory, and the officers and employees of the office, sent beautiful floral gifts.

From Ontario County Journal 18 February 1898

The death of John Flynn occurred at his home on North Pleasant street on Friday, Feb. 11. Mr. Flynn was born in Moystown, Kings county, Ireland, June 16, 1809. He came to America in 1849, and had resided in Canandaigua since that time. He leaves one sister, Miss Jane Flynn of Canandaigua, and three sons, Andrew Flynn of Rochester, James D., and John of this village; and one daughter, Miss Maria Flynn of New York city.

From Ontario County Journal 23 May 1902

Rushville, N. Y. - 
Died, at his home west of this village on May 15, of apoplexy, John Flynn, aged 64 years. Several years ago he was made helpless by paralysis, and had been a great sufferer since then. He is survived by his wife, one son, Edward Flynn, and one daughter, Miss Theresa Flynn. The funeral was held at St. Mary's church in this village on Saturday morning. Interment was in Canandaigua cemetery.

From Geneva Gazette 20 February 1880

John C. Flynn,
the well-known grocer, died on the 16th inst. He was much esteemed by his many friends, and they manifested it by an immense attendance at his funeral. He was buried day before yesterday from St. Francis de Sales Church of which he was a devout member.

From Shortsville Enterprise 18 November 1926

John E. Flynn,
one of Shortsville's well-known residents, died at his home in Main street last Thursday, following an illness of several days duration, although he had been in poor health for several weeks and also submitted to an operation on his throat a number of weeks ago. His age was 69 years. John E. Flynn was born in Owego on March 1, 1857, a son of the late Michael and Mary Lonergan Flynn. He located in Shortsville during the year of 1879, and had since continuously made his home here. He chose as his life partner Miss Nora Brophy of Shortsville, with whom he was united on November 9, 1881.

Mr. Flynn was for many years a faithful employee of the New York Central Railroad Company. Of late years he had been engaged by the Lehigh Valley Railroad Company. The passing of John E. Flynn removes from Shortsville another of its older residents, one who has not only made the village his home for many years, but has always had the best interests of the community at heart. It is such men who mean the biggest loss to a place, men who lead a good and industrious life. They always leave a fine memory when they go to the Great Beyond. Besides his wife, he leaves to mourn their loss one daughter, Mrs. Harold Y. Chambers of Shortsville; one son, Howard Flynn of Rochester; two grandchildren, Miss Elinor Flynn of Rochester and Jack Chambers of Shortsville; one brother, Joseph Flynn of Elmira; three sisters, Mrs. Michael Harrison and Miss Margaret Flynn of Elmira, and Mrs. Kate Carney of Ithaca. The funeral obsequies were held from St. Dominic's church at 9:30 o'clock Saturday morning, conducted by the pastor, the Rev. John J. Ganey. The remains were laid to rest in St. Rose cemetery, west of Shortsville.

From Ontario County Journal 12 March 1909

The death of Mrs. Julia Flynn occurred at the home of James Collins, north of the brick yard, on Monday. She was 84 years of age. Her only surviving relative is a nephew, Thomas FitzGibbons. The funeral was held from St. Mary's church on Wednesday morning.

From Ontario County Journal 19 May 1893

Monday forenoon, train 8, on the Northern Central, leaving Canandaigua at 7:35 a.m., struck and killed Michael Flynn, the accident occurring near the station at Stanley. Mr. Flynn was ninety-nine years old, and naturally somewhat slow of hearing and motion, and possessed of some of the whims of old age. For several years he has lived with his wife in one of the company's shanties alongside the track. Frequently during the past few years Mr. Flynn strayed upon the track, and engineers were compelled to stop their trains to prevent a fatality. The matter had become so troublesome that the company's officers had gone to Stanley and told Mr. Flynn that if he did not discontinue the practice, they would be compelled to evict him from his place. He promised to stay away from the track, and his wife agreed to see to it that he kept his promise. Monday morning, however, she went away to her work, leaving Mr. Flynn at home. He went out upon the track. The engineer of train eight saw him and whistled sharply, but the old man, though apparently aware of the coming train, seemed to misjudge its nearness. Before he could escape, the engine struck him, knocking him against a target in such a manner, that besides other injuries, the top of his skull was almost entirely struck off. He survived but a brief time. Mr. Flynn was many years ago in the service of the company at Canandaigua. He leaves a wife and one son.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 19 December 1906

Sunday afternoon at the Canandaigua Hospital of Physicians and Surgeons occurred the death of Mrs. James S. Fogarty, aged 43 years. Mrs. Fogarty had undergone an operation on the previous Wednesday but her recovery was confidently looked for and her death was a sad shock to her many friends. Mrs. Fogarty before her marriage was Miss Sarah E. Phipps. She was born in Manchester July 29, 1863, and on June 20, 1886, she was married to James S. Fogarty of this place, and has always since resided here. She was a woman of fine Christian character and life and her bereaved husband and children have the sympathy of the entire community in their affliction. She is survived by her husband and seven children, two boys, William and Henry; and five little daughters, Catherine, Marguerite, Mildred, Agnes and Dorothy. Her funeral was held from St. Mary's church Tuesday morning at 9:30 and was very largely attended. Interment was in Calvary cemetery.

From Ontario County Times 14 September 1881

Cornelius Fogerty,
a young Irishman in the employ of Nathaniel Bishop, four miles north from Manchester, died from the effects of the intense heat on Wednesday of last week. On Tuesday he was at work in a field cutting corn and complained of weakness, but after resting awhile, was able to go on with his work. On Wednesday morning he went into the corn field again, but was again compelled to stop work for a while. A glass of cider made him feel better, but towards noon he became so exhausted and dizzy that it was with difficulty he got to the house. He complained of being sick to the stomach and could not eat, but when his companions left him at 3 o'clock to go on with the work, he was lying on a bench in the wood shed and said that he felt better. When they returned at 5 o'clock they found him lying in a pool of blood on the floor near the bench, dead, his nose and face being badly bruised and cut. Early the next morning Coroner Jewett of this village was notified, but on viewing the body and learning of the circumstances, he did not hold an inquest, deeming that death resulted unmistakably from sunstroke. The unfortunate man had either had a convulsion or had tried to get up and in his exhaustion and dizziness had rolled off the bench, the shock of the fall perhaps hastening his death. He was a strong and healthy man, about 30 years of age, and was unmarried, having been in this country but a short time.

From Shortsville Enterprise 6 August 1925

The death of Michael J. Foley, for the last five years a resident of Shortsville, occurred at the Sanitarium in Clifton Springs at 3 o'clock on Sunday afternoon, following an illness of seven years. Mr. Foley had sustained an injury about seven years ago, while employed in the State hospital at Willard and had never regained his health. One day last week, he had the misfortune to fall in the garage at his home and sustain severe injuries which hastened his passing away. When his condition gradually grew worse, he was removed to the Sanitarium on Sunday afternoon, but his demise ensured within about two hours after his arrival. He was 58 years of age. Mr. Foley was born in Ireland in 1865, a son of the late William and Katherine Dillon Foley. He came to this country when but 18 years of age, and the greater part of his stay here had been spent in Willard, where he was employed in the State hospital. Twenty-eight years ago he was united in marriage with Miss Elizabeth Murnahan of Willard. Five years ago the family removed to the Parlor Village.

Besides his wife, he is survived by two sons, William and John Foley of Shortsville; three daughters, Miss Genevieve Foley of Buffalo, Mrs. William Driscoll of Clifton Springs and Miss Alyce Foley of Shortsville; and one sister, Mrs. William Maten of Hamilton, N. Y. Funeral services were held from the family home at 9 o'clock on Wednesday morning and from St. Dominic's church at 9:30 o'clock. Solemn high requiem mass was observed, with the following priests in charge: Rev. John J. Ganey, celebrant, Rev. John Loughren of Ontario, deacon, Rev. Arthur LeMay of Bath, as sub-deacon, and Monsignor Hendricks of Geneva, in the sanctuary. The remains were laid to rest in St. Rose cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 29 September 1916

On Tuesday afternoon at his home on the Bristol road, occurred the death of Philip Foley, aged 80 years. He suffered a stroke of paralysis on Sept. 20. He leaves his wife, Mrs. Mary Foley; one daughter Mrs. Adelbert Wheatley of Orleans; and two sons, Michael and Patrick of Canandaigua. Services were held at the home and at St. Mary's church yesterday morning.

From Ontario County Times 31 August 1870

A laborer named Timothy Foley, a resident of this village, was instantly killed in Rochester yesterday, by the caving in of the back of an ale vault, in which he was at work. Three men were killed by this sad accident, and two others were seriously injured. His remains were brought here last night, and now lie at Mr. Hennessey's house, on Main street, awaiting interment. The deceased was 46 years of age.

From Geneva Gazette 5 October 1877

After a long and painful illness of consumption, a disease which never releases its relentless grasp, once fastened upon its victim, Mrs. Susan R., wife of Hon. Charles J. Folger, died at the family residence in Geneva on Monday morning last. Thus passed away a most devoted wife, a faithful and affectionate mother, a sympathizing and benevolent friend, an exemplary Christian disciple. The funeral was held last Wednesday, Rev. Dr. Nelson officiating, with a large attendance of sincerely sorrowing friends, among them Judges Allen, Rapalie and Andrews, associates
of the bereaved husband on the bench. The casket was tastefully adorned with rare flowers and immortalities, expressing emblems of the resurrection. The remains were interred in Glenwood Cemetery. The opened grave as prepared to receive its treasure was robbed of gloom by its adornments. The walls were covered with evergreens, dotted artistically with flower blossoms of varied hue, thus seemingly overcoming the dampness and mildew of the tomb with the fragrance of the boudoir. Thus tenderly and lovingly, freed from earthly cares, sorrows and pain, was the fond wife and mother laid away; but there is left for comfort the undying memory of her good deeds, pious example and Christian counsels.

From Geneva Daily Times 23 January 1911

The sudden death last night of Mrs. Vashti Susan Depew Folger, widow of the late Charles W. Folger, was a great shock to her family and her many friends. Mrs. Folger yesterday afternoon suffered a very acute attack of indigestion but last night was feeling more comfortable and about one o'clock, when her son Thomas Folger left her to retire, she was sleeping. When he went to her room this morning about seven o'clock, he discovered that she was dead, having passed away during the night. Dr. J. Pope Delaney was called, also Coroner Flint, who pronounced death due to acute indigestion and valvular hear disease. Mrs. Folger was born at Peekskill of an old and prominent family. She was a distant relative of United States Senator Chauncey M. Depew. After her marriage, she came to this city where she has since made her home. The family residence is at No. 802 Main street. Her husband, the late Charles W. Folger, was engaged in the nursery business. His father was Judge Charles J. Folger who was well-known throughout the state. The survivors are three sons, Charles J. and Thomas W. Folger of this city; and Paul Folger of Rochester; two daughters, Mrs. Mirabel Depew Hamlin of Smethport, Pa., and Mrs. Ethel Louise Wells of Cleveland, O.

From Ontario County Journal 15 February 1895

Clifton Springs, N. Y. - L. P. Follett
died at his home in Gypsum Thursday , Feb. 7. The funeral services were held on Wednesday, and the remains interred in Gypsum cemetery.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 18 November 1893

The death of Mrs. Sarah Follett, of L. Proctor Follett, Sr., occurred at 5 o'clock yesterday morning at her late home, two miles north of Clifton Springs. She was in the seventy-third year of her age. A husband, two sons and three daughters survive. Funeral services will be held at the family residence tomorrow afternoon at 2 o'clock. Interment will be made at the Gypsum cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 7 November 1913

Naples, N. Y. -  Charles Folts,
aged 59 years, one of the well-known German citizens, died on Oct. 29 at his home on West avenue, after a long illness of three or four years. He had been a hard worker, a vineyardist, and continued to work, after enfeebled by disease. He married here. His wife and four adult children, Henry and Adam, of Rochester, and Mrs. John Polmanteer and Miss Elizabeth Folts of Naples, survive. The Folts family is very large, and relatives reside in all the country around. There was a large funeral at the Presbyterian church on Friday, Dr. France officiating.

From Ontario County Journal June 5 1914

Mrs. John Folts,
aged 42 years, died suddenly at her home on Pleasant street on Friday. Death was due to heart disease. She leaves, besides her husband, three daughters, Mabel, Marjorie and Muriel; her mother, Mrs. Harriet Gulvin, of Seneca Castle; six brothers and six sisters, Mrs. John Stetinius of Lakemont, Mrs. Roy Benson, Mrs. Earl Snyder, Edward, Charles and David Gulvin, of Canandaigua, Mrs. George Roper of Brooklyn, Mrs. Elmer Merkle of Rochester, Miss Mabel Gulvin of Syracuse; Thomas, William and Hobart Gulvin of Seneca Castle. The funeral services were held at the Methodist church on Monday afternoon. Rev. DeWitt S. Hooker officiated. Interment was in Woodlawn.

From Ontario County Journal 29 September 1916

The death of Frederick A. Fonda, aged 78 years, occurred at his home on Fort Hill avenue on Tuesday evening. He leaves his wife; one daughter, Mrs. W. L. Chamberlain of Canandaigua; two sisters, Mrs. Sarah Kesson of Albany, and Mrs. Ella Megaffee of Canandaigua; two brothers, John Fonda, of Reeds Corners, and Jerry Fonda of Batavia. Rev. Livingston L. Taylor will officiate at the funeral services this afternoon at 2:30 o'clock. Interment will be in West avenue cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 16 March 1938

Mrs. Isabel Fonda,
wife of Charles Fonda, of 40 Lyceum street, died at the Jensen Nursing Home on Washington street yesterday afternoon following a long illness. She was a member of the Methodist church and of the Mizpah Class. Surviving are her husband; one son, Dr. R. W. Fonda of Detroit, Mich.; one daughter, Mrs. Willis Henderson of the Dresden Road; three grandchildren; two sisters, Mrs. C. H. Stephens of Cortland and Mrs. H. B. Stephens of Syracuse; and one brother, Robert Wells of Clifton Springs. The funeral will be held from her late home Friday afternoon at 3:30 o'clock with the Rev. Dr. C. G. McConnell of the First Methodist church officiating.

From Shortsville Enterprise 31 January 1940

Mrs. Sarah Jane Fonda,
a nonagenarian of Hopewell, died on Saturday. Funeral services were held from the home of a grandson, Hiram J. Pickering, on Tuesday afternoon. Interment was made in West Avenue cemetery, Canandaigua.

From Ontario Republican Times 25 June 1862

Only three months have passed since we gave a brief account of the funeral of the eldest son of Judge Foot, and now we are to give a similar account of the funeral of his second son, Samuel Campbell Foot, late acting Master's Mate in the United States Navy. We have heretofore mentioned the creditable manner in which he acquitted himself in the battle at Roanoke Island, as signal officer of the gunboat, "Stars and Stripes." He discharged a like duty equally well in the battle at Newbern. After that battle, he was transferred to the more responsible position of executive officer on the U. S. armed Steamer Whitehead, which was stationed several weeks near Elizabeth City, N. C., in the vicinity of the canal and dismal swamp. The malaria of that region gave our young friend a typhoid fever. He was sent to the Naval Hospital at Newbern where he was very ill for some weeks. There his father reached him, and started homeward with him. He improved on the journey, and arrived at the residence of his aunt, Miss Campbell, at Millburn, N. J., a few miles from New York, where his mother was waiting to receive him. He seemed better, and his recovery was confidently expected. But after a few days, his disease took an unfavorable turn, and he expired on Thursday, the 12th inst., on the same day of the week and but three months from the day on which his elder brother died. His funeral took place last Sunday afternoon, on the same day and very nearly in the same manner that of his brother had on the 16th of March last. His remains were taken to the Reformed Dutch Church, the Pastor, Dr. Wiley, conducted the services, which were strikingly appropriate, and delivered an impressive sermon to a crowded house. Geneva Courier

From Geneva Daily Times 12 September 1903

George N. Foote,
aged 80 years, died at the city hospital, where he had lain in a precarious condition for nearly five months as the result of inhaling coal gas April 24, last evening at 9:90 o'clock. Foote's case has been remarkable from the first in that he has exhibited unusual physical recuperative powers. Foote, at the time of the accident, was employed as gardener for Laura A. Youngs at No. 616 Main street. On the morning of April 24, the Youngs family noticed at breakfast a strong odor of escaping gas. Foote also had failed to appear as usual. Mrs. Youngs, accordingly, being suspicious of trouble, went to the boiler room in the basement which was occupied by Foote. This she found filled with coal gas and Foote lying on a cot unconscious. She quickly summoned the other members of the family and Dr. C. D. McCarthy was called. After finding that it was impossible to restore the man by ordinary means, he ordered his removal to the city hospital. Prof. and Mrs. Herbert R. Moody who were in the house at the time, were also affected by the coal gas but to a less degree. The patient showed little signs of recovery when taken to the hospital where he went for 72 hours without speaking, being unconscious the greater part of the time. The attending physicians considered his death but a question of hours. So great was the man's tenacity to life, however, that he began to improve. Although his life has often hung in the balance the past few months, Foote has lingered along. Grave complications set in a few days ago to which his death was due .

Mr. Foote was born in Tompkins county and lived for many years in Trumansburg. He had lived in Geneva for the past five years. He is survived by a daughter, Mrs. J. L. Marshall of Ithaca. The funeral will be held at Trumansburg tomorrow afternoon. The burial will be in the Trumansburg cemetery.

From "The Albany Law Journal, Volume 17." Weed, Parsons & Co., 1878.

OBITUARY. [unknown date] (died 11 May 1878)


Samuel A. Foote, formerly Judge of the Court of Appeals of this State, died at Geneva, N. Y., on the 11th instant. He was born at Watertown, Conn., Dec., 19, 1790, and after a course of academical study entered Union College, where he graduated with distinguished honors. He at once chose the law as his profession, and pursued his legal studies in Albany. Upon being admitted to the bar he rapidly rose to distinction in his profession. While yet young he was elected District Attorney of Albany county. In 1825 he moved to New York city and entered into a law partnership with the late Judge William Kent, son of Chancellor Kent, and subsequently became associated with Judge Henry E. Davis. After remaining in New York city two years he moved to Geneva, where he made his home for the rest of his life. He was actively engaged in the labors of his profession up to the last week of his life. As a lawyer he ranked very high, and his decisions delivered while in the Court of Appeals placed him among the foremost jurists of his time. He was averse to politics, and did not seek official position. He was believed at the time of his death to be the oldest lawyer in practice in the State. [page 396]

Thanks to Martha Magill for this contribution.

Return to Ontario County Homepage

Copyright 2009-16, Ontario County NYGenWeb and each contributor and author of materials herein. All rights reserved.