"E" Surname Family Sketches



From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893;


Charles A. Eddy, Geneva, was born in Smithville, Chenango county, August 26, 1854.  He was educated in the public schools.  His early years were spent on a farm until the age of twenty-one, when he learned the carriage trade at McDonough in that county, and worked at it in various placed until he came to Waterloo.  There he worked six years when the Seneca Falls Carriage Company was formed, Mr. Eddy being its superintendent.  In the spring of 1891 the Geneva Carriage Company was incorporated with a capital of $30,000, afterwards increased to $50,000.  Mr. Eddy is superintendent of this company.  Mr. Morrell is one of its directors.  This company has from it inception been a success.  June 23, 1887, he married Belle M., only daughter of Isaac and Elizabeth Ide, of Waterloo, and they have two children, Francis B. and Blanche.  The Eddy family is one of the oldest in the county.  Mrs. Eddy's father, Isaac Ide, was born in Geneva January 15, 1835; he married Elizabeth Mensch of Waterloo and they had two children:  Belle M. and Frank P.  Mr. Eddy is a partner with Mr. Morrell in two valuable inventions in connection with the carriage business.



From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893

Herbert M. Eddy, M. D., Geneva, was born in Seneca county, November 22, 1845, and graduated from Hobart College in 1866. He graduated from Geneva Medical College and practiced in Seneca Falls eight months. He graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons in 1870, and settled at Geneva. He is a member of the County Medical Society. In 1873 he married Hattie H. Higbie of Geneva, and has two children: Kathie M. and William H. Hiram L., father of our subject, was a native of Wayne county. He graduated from the Pittsfield (Mass.) Medical College and practiced twenty years in Seneca county. In 1858 he settled in Geneva and practiced until 1876. He died March 9, 1885. His wife was Hetty Peterson, and they had two children, Herbert M. and Lawrence P., the latter a lawyer at Grand Rapids, Mich.



From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893

 
John A. Edmonston, Farmington, father of Erastus H., was born in Maryland, April 23, 1795, and came with his parents to Manchester when ten years old.  In 1818 he married Rebecca P. Baggarly, of that town, by whom he had six children: Erastus H., Hezekiah B., Eliza A., Charlotte A., and William H.  Hezekiah B. married Susan A. Warner, of the town of Orleans, and they had two daughters, Jessie F. and Lillie B.  Eliza B. married Benjamin Parker of Manchester, and they have three children: John C., Mary A., and Julia A.  Mary J. married Hiram Knapp of Walworth, Wayne county, and they have had two children: William H., and Edmonston H., who died aged twenty.  Charlotte A. married Alexander Shekell of Washington, D. C., and they had eight children:  Eddie, R. P., Harriet A., Lee J., Daisey M., Percy, Clyde and Amy, and one who died in infancy. William H. married Alice A., only daughter of Aldin and Eliza Cole of Antwerp, Jefferson county, and they have had three children, two of whom died in infancy, and one, R. Howard, survives.  Erastus H. was born March 7, 1819, in Manchester, and was educated in the public schools, and has always been a farmer.  He met with an accident fifty-one years ago which has nearly deprived him of the use of one foot.  He is one of Farmington's representative citizens, and has resided here sixty-one years. He has never married.



From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893

Edmonston, William C., Phelps, one of four children of Milton and Joanna (Konkle) Edmonston, was born in the town of Phelps, January 15, 1862.  His grandfather, Elijah Edmonston, was born in Maryland and came here and settled about the year of 1796 where he lived and died.  He was a soldier of the War of 1812.  William C. married, September 19, 1883, Flora M., daughter of Joseph and Mary J. (Curtis) Spier, of Phelps.  Mr. Edmonston was clerk in a grocery store for eleven years, when in 1890 he bought out the business and has since been engaged in the grocery and general merchandise business.  He has served as foreman of the Redfield Hook and Ladder Company, has served as member of the Board of Education, and in March, 1892, was elected supervisor of the town, and was re-elected in March, 1893.



From "Who's Who in Railroading in North America, Issue 7." Simmons-Boardman, 1913.

Quick J. Edward
, General Baggage Agent Grand Trunk Ry System and Grand Trunk Pacific Ry. Office Toronto, Ont. Born July 10, 1861, at Richmond, Ontario County, N. Y. Entered railway service 1871, since which he has been consecutively to 1874, baggagemaster and supply clerk Port Huron & Lake Michigan Ry, now the Chicago & Grand Trunk Ry; 1874 to 1876, general baggage agent and ticket clerk same road; 1876 to 1884, agent at Port Huron, Mich., and general baggage agent Chicago & Grand Trunk Ry; 1884 to April 15, 1896, general baggage agent same road and Detroit Grand Haven & Milwaukee Ry; April 15, 1896, to date, general baggage agent Grand Trunk Ry System and Grand Trunk Pacific Ry; has been secretary of the American Association of General Baggage Agents since 1885. [page 445]
Thanks to Martha Magill for this contribution.



From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893

Thomas Eldridge, Canadice, was born December 20, 1836, in Naples.  His father, Barber Eldridge, of French descent, came from Connecticut about 1813, and married Lucy Ann Koon of Springwater, where they lived most of the time, and where he died in 1863, aged fifty-three years.  His widow survives him, aged seventy-eight years.  Of their eight children, six are now living:  John M., now of Yates county; Charles, of Springwater; Lucy Ann, who married and died in Branch county, Mich.; Thomas, of this town; Harriett, married and lives in Michigan; Barber, died in Springwater; Sarah Jane, now living in Livonia; and Harrison, who resides in Springwater.  Thomas was educated in the common schools, and worked at farming.  In 1860 he married Ellen D. Purcell, who was born February 11, 1837, a daughter of William and Jane Purcell, of Springwater.  The same year they settled on the farm they now occupy, which he, Eldridge, purchased of the heirs of Homer Blake.  He built his residence in 1870.  They have two children:  William B., born June 29, 1865, who married Minnie Henry, and is a farmer of this town, and Emma E., born November 13, 1869, wife of Edmund Doolittle, of Springwater.  Mr. Eldridge has 100 acres in his home farm, and fifty-one acres in Springwater.  He is engaged in the raising of thoroughbred Oxforddown sheep, and also horses.  He has been highway commissioner two years and assessor three years.  He was supervisor in 1888-89.



From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893;

Bolivar Ellis, Victor, was born in Victor February 25, 1833.  He was educated in the public schools, and in early life was a farmer, surveyor, and conveyancer many years.  Has been supervisor of his town three years, and justice of the peace twenty-four years.  In the fall of 1882 he was elected county clerk and served three years.  Was also loan commissioner three years.  Mr. Ellis is a member of Milnor Lodge  No. 139F. & A. M., and has been its master for some years.  He is a member of the Excelsior Chapter No 164 R. A. M. of Canandaigua, and of Munroe Commandery K. T. No. 12 of Rochester.  June 30, 1874, he married Frances M., daughter of Jacob L. and Joannah (Farr) Lobdell, of Victor, and they have one daughter, Isabel.  Mr. Ellis's father, Henry, was born in the town of Florida, Montgomery county, December 10, 1798, and was a farmer.  December 29, 1823, he married Isabel Bennett of Duanesburg, Schenectady county, and came to Victor April 5, 1824.  They had six children, four survive:  Nancy M., who married Thomas C. Turner (now deceased); Jane E., who married James B. North (deceased); Bolivar, and Daniel.  Mr. Ellis's father, Samuel, was a soldier in the Revolutionary War.  The ancestry of the family is Welsh and Scotch.  Mr. Ellis is one of the deacons in the Universalist Church.



From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893;

Daniel Ellis, Victor, was born on the Ellis homestead, September 30, 1837. He was educated in the public schools and East Bloomfield Academy, and is a farmer. The house on the home farm was built in the year 1826, fifty acres of land has been owned by the family since the same date. Mr. Ellis is a member of Milnor Lodge No. 139, F. & A. M. of Canandaigua. February 8, 1856, he married Alice Turner, who was born in Salem, Wis. She died March 8, 1892. Mr. Ellis's grandfather's brother, Dr. Eleazer Ellis, was born June 20, 1760, was the first physician in West Bloomfield, and his grandfather, Samuel Ellis, was born May 28, 1762. Mr. Ellis has in his possession a paper recommending his grandfather, Samuel, to any Masonic Lodge in the United States.



From Victor Herald Newspaper 6 July 1895

Memorial Held at St. Paul's Universalist Church, Victor, N. Y. - Henry Ellis was born Dec. 10, 1798, at Florida, Montgomery county, N. Y. On Dec. 29, 1823, he married Isabel Bennett, of Duanesburg, Schenectady county, N. Y., who for fifty-one loving years walked faithfully by his side. Early in the spring of 1824, Mr. Ellis moved to Victor, arriving at what is now known as the Ellis homestead on April 6th of that year. Here he continued to reside for fifty-nine years, surrounded by children and children's children, three generations of whom reverenced the good patriarch and profited by his wise example. Mr. Ellis was descended on his father's side from Welsh and Irish ancestry, traceable to one Richard Ellis who came to this country in 1717 and a few years later married Jane Phillips of Easton, Mass. Of the fourth generation from these progenitors the subject of this sketch came uniting in his character the sturdy integrity and kindliness of heart which predominate in those races across the sea, from which he sprang united with a New England tenacity of purpose so essential to a well poised, consistent life. Politically an unswerving Democrat, Mr. Ellis lived and voted his convictions without office holding. In religion, he was a Universalist, firm in the belief, strong in faith, abounding in good works. Henry Ellis died on Sept. 1, 1884, aged 85 years with undimmed faith in our heavenly Father. His last conscious breath voiced the christian's all-conquering trust. None of those whose lives we are reviewing today left more enduring example or one more worthy of imitation than Deacon Henry Ellis.



From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893;

James A. Ellis, Canandaigua, was born in Fleming June 3, 1839, a son of Arthur, a farmer of that town. When fourteen years of age, he went to Honeoye, where he served his apprenticeship of four years as a gunmaker.  In the spring of 1862 he came to Canandaigua, where he joined in partnership with Lefevre in manufacturing guns, and was with him five years.  In 1867 Mr. Ellis bought out the interest of his partner and has ever since conducted the business alone at 157 Main street, where he handles hardware, sporting goods, cutlery, etc.  He is a Mason, a member of Canandaigua Lodge No. 294.  He married in February, 1869, Martha S. Robertson of Canandaigua, and they have five children:  Arthur C., a clerk in the New York Central freight office; Ada E.; Ina M.; Herbert J., and George Robertson.  Mr. and Mrs. Ellis are members of the Congregational Church of Canandaigua.



From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893

Jabez Elton, West Bloomfield, came from Bristol, Conn., to Canandaigua about 1816.  He was a farmer and married in Connecticut Olive Holcomb.  Their children were:  Sarah, James, Noah, Eliza, Luther, Lovina, Nathaniel, Hiram, Nancy and John.  Nathaniel moved to Richmond about 1833.  He married in 1841 Mary J. Paul.  They subsequently lived in Farmington and Perrington, and came to this town in 1854.  Nathaniel was a farmer and produce dealer.  Their children were:  John P., James and Mary E., wife of John M. Baker of Bristol.  Nathaniel died April 1, 1883.  John was born September 4, 1843. He was a farmer and hay dealer, and was supervisor of the town in 1886.  He married Jennie C. Leach.  They had born to them four children:  L. May, O. Louise, Alice P., and Richard.  John died November 19, 1890.  James was born October 27, 1845.  He is a farmer and hay dealer.  His fine farm is on the State road, midway between the village and East Bloomfield line.  He married in 1877 Alida E. Shepard, and they have three children:  Raymond J., Carlotta A., and Leila J.  Mr. Elton was formerly a Democrat, but some years ago he was a member of the grand jury when seventy-seven were indicted, over seventy of which were liquor cases.  He and some other of the jury have since this been Prohibitionists.  Mrs. Nathaniel Elton now makes her home with her son.  Her father and grandfather were both named William Paul and came from Massachusetts at an early day to this town.  Her father returned to Massachusetts in 1811 and married Prudance Case.  They lived in the south part of the town on the line of Richmond and had seven children.



From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893;

Gilbert W. Elwell, Gorham, was born in Middlesex, November 28, 1852. His father, Stewart, was a son of Luther, a son of Jabe, who was a native of Massachusetts, and in an early day went to Vermont, where he died. He was a Revolutionary soldier and was at the battle of Bennington, Vt. His wife was Rosanna Moss, a native of Hoosick, N. Y., and they had nine children. The family came to Middlesex, and there he and his wife died. He was a farmer by occupation. Stewart was born in Bennington, Vt., and at twenty-one came to Yates county. He married Hannah Wood of Gorham, born June 25, 1818, a daughter of Gilbert Wood, son of James who was born in Massachusetts, and came to Gorham in 1789. Gilbert Wood was born in Massachusetts in 1788, and came with his parents to Gorham and settled at Reed's Corners. The wife of Gilbert Wood was Peggie Colf, by whom he had one son and nine daughters. He died January 4, 1841, and his wife July 31, 1848. Mr. Elwell and wife have three children: Gilbert W.; Helen, wife of Thomas Conklin of Gorham; and Mary, wife of Adelbert Powell. In 1866 Mr. Elwell came to Gorham. He is a Democrat in politics. Gilbert W. was educated in the common schools and Canandaigua Academy. November 26, 1878, he married Mary Humphrey, and they have one child, Marion. November 25, 1883, Mrs. Elwell died, and in 1886 he married Mary J. Mathort of Berrytown. He is a Democrat and at present is justice of the peace. Mrs. Elwell is an Episcopalian.



From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893;

Irving D. Elwell, Canandaigua, was born on his present farm in Canandaigua, February 10, 1863, a son of Dyre and Harriet (Johnson) Elwell. Dyre Elwell was born near Bennington, Vt., September 16, 1822, was educated in the common schools, and when twenty-two years of age settled in Middlesex, Yates county, where he followed farming about ten years. In 1856 he moved to Phelps, where he spent two years, and then came to Canandaigua, buying a farm of ninety-eight acres near Cheshire. He was a man of more than usual ability, and was a leader in all good works. He married in 1846 Elinor Reynolds of Middlesex, by whom he had one child, who died February 14, 1878, thirty-one years of age. Mr. Elwell married again February 19, 1857, Harriet, daughter of Buskirk Johnson of Rockland county, and they had three children, but one of whom is living, Irving D. Dyre Elwell died January 16, 1890. Mrs. Elwell still lives on the old homestead. Irving D. was educated in the common schools, and is following farming on a scientific plan. His principal crops are hops and fruit, having now six acres of the former. He married in 1883 Iva, daughter of Oscar and Paulina (Mitchell) Phillips. They have one daughter, Ina Elizabeth, now in her ninth year.



From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893;

Frank W. Embree, Victor, was born in Victor April 16, 1845.  He was educated in the public schools and Eastman's Commercial College at Poughkeepsie, from which institution he was graduated in May 1864.  May 7, 1878, he married Florence L. Ellis of Weedsport.  Mr. Embry's father, Thomas, was born at Arlington VT November 28, 1804, and came to this State when fifteen years old, locating in Avon and afterward in Victor, where he became a prominent merchant.  In the year 1835 he built the stone store recently destroyed by fire.  February 12, 1828, he married Sarah Wilcox of that village, who was one of the teachers in the public schools.  Later on he became a farmer, and followed that vocation for twenty-eight years.  In the year 1865 he returned to the village and lived a retired life.  He died November 5, 1890, and his wife February 22, 1886. December 14, 1864, Mr. Embry entered the employ of the New York Central and Hudson River Railroad Company at Syracuse; as a clerk in the freight house.  He came to Rochester August 25, 1867, and was employed at the Rochester station in the same capacity until December 31, 1873.  He then resigned to accept the management of the Merchants' Despatch Transportation Company, which position he held until June 13, 1877, when he was made freight agent of the N. Y. C. & H. R. R. Co., succeeding the late W. H. Cummings, which position he holds at the present time, 1893.  At the time the New York Central leased the West Shore and Rome, Watertown & Ogdensburg railroads, Mr. Embry was made agent of those roads also, and still holds that position.  Mr. Embry is a member of the Athletic Club, Point Look Out Club, Rochester Whist Club, Frank R. Lawrence Lodge, F. & A. M., Monroe Commandery K. T. No. 12, Rochester Consistory of Scottish Rite, and is also a member of the Reform Club of New York city, of which Hon. Chas. S. Fairchild is president.  He is a member of Christ Church parish; and in politics he is a Democrat.



From Victor Herald 30 March 1900

Thomas Embry was born in the town of Arlington, Vermont, November 28, 1804. His father was a farmer, and he remained at home until 1819, when he went to Avon, where he worked in a store connected with a distillery for four years, at the conclusion of which he returned to his old home in Arlington, where he remained during the summer of 1823. He returned to this part of the country in the fall of that year, with the intention of going into business again at Avon, but when he arrived at Canandaigua, he met friends who induced him to visit Victor, which he did, and engaged as clerk in the store of Wm. Bushnell. After remaining with Bushnell for some time, he built a distillery west of the village, located where Thomas Whalen now resides. He operated the distillery for a few years and then built the stone store on the north side of Main street, in 1835, afterwards owned by William Gallup. This store was burned, together with the dwelling house in January 10, 1893. Embry remained in the store until 1839, when the property was sold to Arah P. Dickenson, and he moved on his farm in the north part of the town, now owned by John Boughton. He became acquainted with Sarah Wilcox, a school teacher in this village, and married her February 12, 1828. Miss Wilcox was a resident of Riga, and at the time of their marriage, Mr. Embry rode to her home on horseback, returning the same way. Mrs. Embry did not come to Victor until about a month later, when they went to housekeeping in a log house. Mr. Embry remained upon his farm until 1865, when he came to Victor village, leaving his farm in charge of his son, Napoleon. He lived in this village the remainder of his days, his death occurring November 5, 1890. He was an active, energetic business man, and with good management secured a competency to take care of him in his old age. Although not much inclined for political honors and preferment, he was selected by his townsmen several times to represent them in the Board of Supervisors and also held at different times the office of assessor, and was, in his day, quite a prominent citizen.



From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893;

Benjamin K. Emerson, Canandaigua, was born in Chester, Rockingham county, N. H., August 26, 1826. His father was born in New Hampshire in 1786, and resided there until 1852, when he moved into this State and settled in Tyrone, Schuyler county, dying there in February, 1862. He married Mary Porter, widow of David Emory, and they had six children, two of whom survive: William P. of New Hampshire, and Benjamin K. The early boyhood of our subject was spent in the town of his birth. He came to Steuben county when thirteen years of age, and working on a farm, studied medicine and became a practicing veterinary surgeon. He moved from Schuyler county to Yates, where he spent three years, and in 1870 moved to Ontario county, settled in Canandaigua, and bought the Harris Andrews farm of 102 acres, where he lived but three years, then bought the David Gardner farm of 100 acres, which now belongs to his son. He bought 100 acres on lot 61, and 108 acres on lot 84. He made his home on the Gardner farm until 1892, when he bought the farm of ninety acres, where he now makes his home. He also owns the Parmele farm of seventy-eight acres, making the total amount 476 acres. Besides attending to his farms Mr. Emerson continued his practice as veterinary surgeon, in which he has been very successful, losing but few patients. He also conducts a milk route in Canandaigua, and for seven years was the milkman of Shortsville. While in Yates county Mr. Emerson was justice of the peace. In 1850 he married Adelia C. Prescott of Orange county, by whom he had five children, four now living: George M., who lives on the Gardner farm; Arnold J., who lives on the Couch farm; Mary, wife of John Crook, who lives on the Parmele farm; and Hattie L., who married Frank Steimbaugh and lives in Nebraska. Mrs. Emerson died in November. 1872, and he married second, in 1873, Mary F. Sutton, widow of Thomas Sproul, and have one child, Carrie H., now in her thirteenth year.



From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893

John B. Esty, Seneca, was born in Seneca, December 15, 1827. He was educated in the public schools and has always followed farming. December 25, 1849, he married Rachael C. Brizzee of the town of Hopewell, and they had seven children: Charles, who died at the age of thirty-nine; Ida A., Frederick D., Ada, who died at the age of eight years; Frank J., Alexander and Elizabeth. Mr. Esty's father, Aaron B., was born in Seneca in 1802. He, too, was a farmer and married Mary Gilbert, formerly of the town of Benton, Yates county. They had eight children: John B., William P.,  Cynthia A., Norton, who died at the age of two years, Joseph, Sibley, Elizabeth and Edmund. His father died in September, 1882, and his mother February 12, 1892. His grandfather, William Esty, came to Seneca about 1795 from New England. Mrs. Esty's father, Cornelius Brizzee, was born in Columbia county, N. Y., in 1793, and married Sarah Van Benscoten of Ulster county. They had seven children: Peter S., Maria, Sarah A., Cornelius C., Rachel C., John and Andrew. Her father died in 1879 at the age of eighty-six years, and her mother died in 1879 at the age if eighty-three years.



From Story of Geneva; compiled by E. Thayer Emmons; 1931;

Septimus Evans was one of the early merchants doing business on the west side of Exchange street just north of Seneca street, where the International Hotel used to be . He came to Geneva at the same time and with Judge Gordon from New Jersey, and was for some time, his partner. He was one of the incorporators and one of the first trustees of the Presbyterian Church in 1798, and in 1817 one of the incorporators of the Bank of Geneva. He resided on the east side of Geneva street, just north of Castle Creek, and had an ashery in the neighborhood. He was also interested in a distillery. He is said to have been a very respectable, useful and prominent citizen. He was a member of the Legislature from Ontario County in 1811, and also from Seneca County in 1829-30, at which latter time he resided on the turnpike in the Town of Waterloo, a short distance east of the line of Ontario County.


From the HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY; compiled by Lewis Cass Aldrich; edited by George S. Conover; 1893;

John Everett, was born in Suffolk county, England, in 1806. He married Sarah Hake, and in 1850 they came to America and settled at Geneva. He was a machinist, and they had eight children. Mr. Everett died July 1, 1872, and his wife September 11, 1873. Of their children five are now living: May, wife of George Taylor; Rachel, wife of John Kenfield; Alice, wife of N. B. Smith; Eleanor, widow of A. Wentzer; and all reside in Geneva. Charles lives in Montgomery City, Md.



Return to the Ontario Co. GenWeb page               

Copyright © 2002-12, Ontario County NYGenWeb and each contributor and author of materials herein. All rights reserved.
051406

Updated 11 March 2012