From Geneva Daily Times, December 26, 1929, page 9

Word has been received here of the death on December 15th of Alan Barber, the infant son of Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Barber of Sharon, Mass. Mrs. Barber will be known to Genevans as Miss Lida Thatcher, daughter of Dr. and Mrs. R. W. Thatcher, former director of the New York State Experiment Station.
Thanks to Martha McGill for this contribution.

From Geneva Gazette 22 April 1892

Suicide by Drowning -
On the trip of the Otetiani last Wednesday forenoon, and when about opposite Lodi, Alonzo Barber of Geneva, a passenger who had bought a ticket for Watkins, leaped from the boat into the lake and was drowned. The fatal leap was witnessed, the boat stopped and a small boat was lowered and manned to effect a rescue if Barber would rise to the surface.  The lake at that point is very deep -- 100 feet or more -- and a body seldom rises or is ever found that has met death by drowning there.

The deceased sustained severe injuries in a coasting accident some years ago, and he has never been regarded quite right in his mind since.  Last fall he was the victim of varioloid, contracted while assisting in the burial of one of the Flint Creek small pox patients.  Soon after convalescing, he attempted suicide by poisoning.  He had been kept under somewhat close surveillance until showing such marked improvement that watchfulness became somewhat relaxed, with the sad denouement herein chronicled.  The unfortunate suicide was the oldest son of the well known undertaker, Wm. C. Barber, aged about 36 years. The deceased leaves a widow to whom he was married within the past year. Burial Glenwood Cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 24 April 1903

Rushville, N. Y. -  Mrs. Althea L. Barber,
wife of Virgil Barber, died at her home on Gilbert street, early Tuesday morning, after a long and painful illness with dropsy, aged 72 years. Mrs. Barber's early girlhood, as well as many later years, was spent in this village. She was an earnest christian and during her years of illness she had borne her sufferings with such patience and cheerfulness that a visit to her was the source of help and courage to many people. She is survived by her husband and three sons, Charles, who lives southeast of this place; Edward of Pennsylvania, and Asa of Richmond, Va. The funeral was held from her late home yesterday afternoon at 1 o'clock. The services were conducted by her pastor, Rev. D. M. VanTuyl. The interment was in the village cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 29 April 1898

Naples, N. Y. - Mrs. Delia Barber
died on Sunday evening, aged 72 years. She was one of the old Naples families of that name and nearly the last one. Her father was Zacheus Barber, who had ten children. She leaves two daughters, Mrs. Charles S. Sutton of this village, and Mrs. Alick Penney of Livonia.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 6 February 1907

Stanley, N. Y. - Eben A. Barber
died at his home here Wednesday morning, January 30th, aged 51 years, after an illness of less than 48 hours with pneumonia. The community is saddened and has lost an honored citizen. The death is particularly sad as Mr. Barber's father, Ira Barber, died only four days earlier, Jan. 26th, at his son's home here. Mr. Barber leaves a wife, an adopted daughter, Mrs. Agnes Hotchkiss of Schenectady; and four sisters, Mrs. Mary S. Saunders of Prattsburg, Mrs. Emma A. Lown of Benton, Mrs. Elizabeth Douglas of Anadarko, Oklahoma, and Mrs. Sarah I. Beales of Geauga county, Ohio. The funeral was held from the late home at 11 a.m. Saturday. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. A. H. Knight of the Gorham Baptist church with burial at Nettle Hollow Cemetery, near Potter Center.

From Geneva Gazette 11 January 1889

Obituary - On Sunday morning last, after a short illness, occurred the death of Mrs. Eliza Sophia Stewart Barber, wife of our estimable fellow townsman, Mr. W. C. Barber. Mrs. Barber was born in Cookstown, County Tyrone, Ireland, on November 26th, 1830, and was accordingly 58 years, 2 mos., and 10 days old at the time of her death. At an early age she came to this country with her parents, and on July 4th, 1849, she was married to Mr. Barber, the ceremony being performed at Lyons, N. Y.  Soon afterwards Mr. and Mrs. Barber removed to this village where they have since resided. Mrs. Barber was the mother of six children -- William S., Alonzo H., Mrs. C. McMillan of Canandaigua, Clarence J. of Auburn, Mrs. P. A. Lerch of Fayette, and Mrs. R. T. Reynolds of this village, who are all living with the exception of William. Mrs. Barber was a model mother, indulgent in most things and faithful in every duty affecting the moral training of her children. Her home life was particularly happy, and she took more pleasure in her children and their training than in the behests of society. To her husband she was not only a loving and faithful wife, but a practical helpmeet in every sense of the word, in whose business she not only took an active but also a practical interest. Beloved by all who had the pleasure of her acquaintance, her sudden and unexpected death is a sad blow to her friends and an irreparable bereavement to her sorrowing children and husband. The funeral services were held on Tuesday last, interment being made in Glenwood Cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 28 May 1907

Miss Harriet Barber died last evening at 8 o'clock at her home, No. 120 Cherry street. She is survived by one brother, A. H. Barber, of Kansas, and two sisters, Misses Minnie and Clara Barber, both of this city. The funeral will be held Friday afternoon from the house at 3:30 o'clock. Rev. W. W. Weller will officiate and interment will be in Washington Street Cemetery.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 30 January 1907

Stanley, N. Y. - Ira Barber
died at the home of his son, Eben Barber, on Saturday, of bronchial pneumonia, aged 88 years. Deceased had been ill but a short time. He is survived by a family of five children, Mary L. Launders of Prattsburg; Sarah L. Beales of Geoga county, Ohio; Elizabeth A. Douglas of Anadarko, Oklahoma; Emma Lown of Benton; and Eben A. Barber of Stanley. The funeral will be held at 10 a.m. Tuesday at the home of his son with interment at Potter.

From Geneva Daily Times 6 October 1916

Naples, N. Y. -
Yesterday morning in her home in Mechanic street occurred the death of  Mrs. J. E. Barber, after an illness of only a few days of pneumonia. Mrs. Barber was born in Lyons in 1844, but had lived in Naples since her marriage to John E. Barber, who died many years ago. She leaves two sons, John and Irving, both of Naples; one sister, Mrs. Elizabeth Guilkey of Geneva, and niece, Mrs. Hiram Thalman of Geneva.

From Geneva Daily Times 14 November 1903

Phelps, N. Y. - James Barber,
a well-known and highly respected citizen, died Friday morning after a brief illness. Mr. Barber was born here and was a life-long resident. He was seventy-five years of age and is survived by his widow and one daughter, Mrs. Eugene Griffith of Savannah. The funeral will be held Monday afternoon.

From Victor Herald 24 March 1905

Our community was saddened Monday by the death of a highly respected citizen, John Barber, who moved here from Mt. Morris one year ago. Mr. Barber had been in poor health for some time, due to a cancerous growth of the stomach. He leaves besides his wife, one son and three daughters. His remains were taken Thursday morning to Mr. Morris, where interment was made.

From Geneva Daily Times 3 June 1930

Naples, N. Y. -  John Barber,
aged 55, committed suicide by hanging sometime yesterday. He was found late in the evening by his brother, Irving Barber. His car had been standing near the firehouse for several hours when inquiries were made. The body was found in a barn near the Barber Cafe in the business section of Naples. Dr. A. M. Stewart, the coroner, who was called, said that he had been dead more than six hours. Deceased had for many years been employed as a fireman on the Naples branch of the Lehigh Valley Railroad until the past year.

From Ontario County Journal 15 May 1896

Naples, N. Y. - John S. Barber,
one of Naples' oldest retired business men, died Monday evening, May 11, aged nearly 78 years. He was born in Seneca county, removed to Phelps when young, came to Naples in 1852, and associated himself in business with his brother-in-law, A. T. Nelson. They were in the hardware trade and were together eleven years. His first wife died some twenty-five years ago and he married Miss Waddell of Phelps who survives him; also two sons of his second wife. His death was due to paralysis which came upon him suddenly the Saturday before. Funeral services were held at the house at 3 p.m. Wednesday, and the remains were then taken to Phelps for burial, after services there Thursday morning. Ex-sheriff Corwin and daughter, Mrs. John A. Coe, James Barber and other relatives were present at the services here.

From Ontario County Journal 28 March 1902

Rushville, N. Y. - 
Died at his home about 3 1/2 miles south of this village, of paralysis, on Monday, Jonathan Barber, aged 75 years. Mr. Barber was among the oldest residents of this vicinity and will be greatly missed by a large circle of friends. The funeral was conducted by Rev. D. M. VanTuyl, of this place, at the house yesterday. Interment was at Nettle Valley. He is survived by a wife and four daughters, Mrs. William Yaxley of Penn Yan; Mrs. James Smith, Mrs. Bragan and Mrs. Charles Neff, all residing near Potter.

From Naples Record 15 July 1871

In this village, suddenly, on Tuesday, July 11, Mrs. Julia Barber, wife of John E. Barber. Mrs. B. had lived here for twenty years, and leaves a large circle of mourning friends. She was a sister of A. T. Nelson of this village.

From Ontario County Journal 11 April 1890

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - Luther Barber, an old and highly respected citizen, passed to his reward Thursday, April 3d, aged 72 years. Deceased was an energetic, hard-working business man, and his interests had been with the people of this community for more than fifty years. For years he had been interested in the nursery business, and few men were better known throughout Western New York. Upon all questions touching fruit, he was considered good authority and frequently consulted. He was honored and respected by all who knew him. Funeral services were held at the M. E. Church on Saturday at 2 p.m., Rev. P. M. Harman officiating. His remains were followed to their last resting place by a large number of sorrowing friends.

From Ontario County Journal 28 May 1909

Rushville, N. Y. -
On Wednesday morning, at her home three miles south of this village, occurred the death of Mrs. Sarah Barber, widow of the late Jonathan Barber. The deceased was 78 years of age and had lived on the farm where her death occurred 61 years. She was the daughter of John and Huldah Price, of Livonia, being one of a family of six children, only one, Mrs. Lucy Butler, of Conesus, still living. On Oct. 4, 1848, she became the bride of Jonathan Barber, of Potter, the invitations to the wedding bidding the guests to come at "early candlelight." They began housekeeping on the farm where her death occurred, and which was also the birthplace of her husband. He lived to celebrate their 50th anniversary. Mrs. Barber was a woman of strong affections and tender sympathies, and was a devout Christian, having for many years been a member of the Methodist church at Potter. Of the four children born to them three are living: Mrs. William Yexley, of Wellsville; Mrs. Michael Bragan and Mrs. Charles Neff of Rushville.

From Phelps Citizen 5 October 1916

The death of Mrs. Sarah Barber, widow of John E. Barber, formerly of this town, occurred at her home in Naples yesterday morning, aged 72 years. She leaves two sons, John H. and Irving J. Barber, of Naples; and a sister-in-law, Mrs. Julia Barber, of this village. The funeral will be held at Naples tomorrow morning at 10 o'clock and the remains will be brought here for burial in the Barber lot in Resthaven. The remains are expected to arrive here by automobile and the committal service will be held about two o'clock.

From Geneva Daily Times 4 June 1904

Rushville, N. Y. - Virgil Barber,
aged seventy years, died at the home of Mrs. Ann Francisco, at two o'clock Friday morning, of heart trouble, after a long and severe illness with a complication of diseases. He is survived by three sons, Charles of this place; Edward, of Newark Valley, N. Y., and Asa, of Richmond, Va. His wife died April 21, 1903. He was a member of the G. A. R., and of the M. E. church in this place.

From Geneva Gazette 12 May 1893

Mrs. Warren G. Barbour
died at her residence on North Main street last Wednesday, of lingering consumption. Deceased has been a widow for several years and dies childless.  She was a daughter of the late Wm. Van Liew, and aged nearly or quite 70 years.  She leaves some property.

From Ontario County Times 28 November 1888

Mrs. Carl Bardeck,
living in a tenement house in the village of Geneva, used kerosene to hurry her kitchen fire on Thursday morning, and the result was an explosion, and two days later a double funeral. Both Mr. and Mrs.  Bardeck were fatally burned and their two little children received very serious injuries. The house caught fire but prompt action of the firemen saved it from destruction.

From Ontario County Journal 17 April 1896

Naples, N. Y. - Mrs. Cyrus Bardeen,
who was taken to Willard asylum on Saturday, April 4, died a week from that day. The circumstances bearing upon her insanity, and her sad death, created much feeling, and on Monday the burial ceremonies were stayed by a movement on the part of the brothers and other relatives of the deceased for an autopsy to decide whether or not she had been foully dealt with. The husband has consented, and Coroner Wettling may order it.

From Ontario County Journal 10 February 1899

Naples, N. Y. - Mrs. Emma Mack Bardeen,
wife of Cyrus G. Bardeen, died at her home in this town Feb. 2, aged 18 years. She had been married two years, and left a child six months old. The burial was at Ingleside where her parents dwell.

From Geneva Daily Times 29 April 1904

Canandaigua, N. Y. -
Coroner Warner's investigation yesterday afternoon of the death of Leon Bardeen, whose dead body was found in the Thompson woods, northeast of the village, developed that he came to his death by strychnine poisoning, administered by his own hand while temporarily deranged. Bardeen, who has a brother living in Naples and another at Avon, had acted strangely for several days; so say the family of N. O. Stone, with whom he lived and for whom he had worked. He came to town Wednesday and was seen about the village all the afternoon. Yesterday morning his body lay in the woods with a paper bearing the label of strychnine lying beside it. Dr. Warner caused an autopsy to be held at the Curtice undertaking establishment and ten grains of the poison were found in the stomach. Deceased was aged about 26 years. It was at first stated that he had a father living in Geneva, but this proved to be unfounded. Arrangements will be made later for the disposal of the remains.

From Geneva Daily Times 8 September 1903

The funeral of Miss Adelaide Maine Barden, the 30-year-old adopted daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. J. Barden of Stanley, who died Saturday night, was held at her late home this afternoon at 2 o'clock. The burial was at Sodus.

From Ontario Republican Times 11 March 1863

Died, at camp near Union Mills, Va., February 23d, of typhoid fever, Corporal James M. Barden, Co. F 126th Regt., N. Y. S. Vol's, aged 18 years, son of Sylvanus Barden, Seneca, N. Y. Thus another sacrifice has been offered upon our country's altar; another contribution has been added to the rich legacy of noble sacrifices and high example which the present national struggle is bequeathing to future generations. It is fitting that public mention should be made of one who has labored, suffered and died for the public welfare, that we may know the cost of our institutions and of our liberty, and that others may be roused to like noble deeds. Barden enlisted in his country's service from pure and patriotic motives. Though young, he manifested a fixedness of principle rarely surpassed. The temptations and vices of the camp served rather to confirm than to unsettle his virtue. His comrades never heard an oath from his lips. Kindhearted, and modest even to diffidence, he won the good will of all. It is worthy of special notice that in all the hardships and dispiriting circumstances that have attended the 126th regiment, and which proved too strong for the weaker patriotism and the fainter courage of less brave hearts, Barden never uttered a complaint, and never met duty otherwise than with cheerfulness. 

From Ontario County Journal 15 June 1917

The death of Dr. John Milton Barden, aged 82 years, occurred at his home on Bristol street, on Friday afternoon after a long illness. He was a native of Benton, Yates county. After his graduation from the Homoeopathic Medical college in New York City, he began the practice of his profession at Rutland, Pa., and later practiced at Mansfield, Pa. He practices for nearly 50 years, retiring several years ago. He came to Canandaigua from Ithaca eight years ago. He leaves two daughters, Mrs. A. W. Stevenson, of Canandaigua; Mrs. J. C. Gallop, of Rochester, and a brother, Samuel O. Barden of Mansfield, Pa.; also three grandchildren, Miss Bessie Stevenson, of Canandaigua; David S. Stevenson, of Chicago, Ill., and Myron Gallup, of Paulsboro, N. J., and a great-grandchild, John Albert Stevenson, of Chicago. Rev. G. E. Finlay officiated at brief services held at the Stevenson home on Sunday. Funeral services were held at Mansfield on Tuesday.

From Geneva Gazette 18 February 1876

Levi Barden,
an old resident of Seneca, died on the 19th inst., aged 77 years.

From Ontario County Journal 24 May 1907

Bristol Springs, N. Y. - Mrs. M. W. Barden
died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Clarence Edgett, about three miles north of this place, on Saturday. She had been a resident of this town a few years, moving here from Gorham, where the body was taken for interment.

From Ontario County Journal 3 December 1915

Naples, N. Y. - 
Tuesday morning, Martin W. Barden died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. C. E. Edgett, in South Bristol. Mr. Barden was born in Benton, Yates county, 85 years ago, a son of George and Dolly Barden. He was the last of 13 children, three of who have passed away during the past year. He was married to Miss Margaret Bryce of Little Falls, who died eight years ago. Besides his daughter, Mrs. Edgett, Mr. Barden leaves one son, Llewellyn J., of Benton, who is now in Arizona, where he spends his winters. Seven grandchildren also are left. Mr. Barden had been ill for about a year with dropsy. Funeral services were held on Thursday morning at 10 o'clock  with interment in Gorham.

From Geneva Daily Times 2 April 1904

S. Perry Barden,
a lifelong resident of this vicinity, died yesterday afternoon at his home in the town of Seneca, aged eighty-three. The deceased is survived by his widow, one son, W. A. Barden of Seneca, two daughters, Mrs. Isaac Ansley of Cambridge, Maryland, and Mrs. Leonard Fransue of Hall's Corners. The funeral will take place at 11 o'clock Tuesday from the house. Burial will be at Bellona.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 24 May 1905

Stanley, N. Y. - Salvenus Barden
died at his home northeast of Stanley on Wednesday afternoon about 4 o'clock. Mr. Barden suffered a paralytic stroke Friday, May 12, and has been in a very serious condition since that time. The funeral was held from his late home on Friday afternoon at 2 o'clock, Rev. A. H. Knight, Baptist minister, of Gorham, has charge of the services. Two son, Jay Barden of Stanley and George, of Penn Yan, and one daughter, Mrs. Alice Metcalf of Canandaigua, survive him. Mr. Barden was 87 years old.

From Ontario County Journal 3 May 1901

Gorham, N. Y. - 
This community was shocked on Tuesday evening to learn of the death of William Barden of Stanley, which occurred at the Geneva City hospital on Tuesday afternoon. He had been in ill health for a long time, and an operation for gall stones was deemed advisable and was performed on Monday. He rallied from it and seemed to be doing so well that his wife and daughter returned to their home at Stanley on Tuesday morning, only to be summoned back in a short time. His death occurred before they reached the city. A wife and daughter, an aged father; also two brothers, George of Penn Yan, and Jay of Stanley; and one sister, Mrs. Alice Metcalf of Canandaigua, survive.

From Ontario County Times 3 April 1889

Flint Creek, N. Y. - John Barhite
died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Cammett, near this place, on the 25th, aged about 70 years.

From Geneva Daily Times 17 May 1910

Rushville, N. Y. -  Mrs. Ada Barker,
wife of Emmett Barker, died at her home in this village early yesterday morning at the age of 35 years. For several months she has been ill with tuberculosis. She was born in London, England, where her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Archer, reside. She leaves her husband and two little daughters, Eva and Thelma; her parents, and three brothers, two of whom live in London and the other of whom is a soldier located in North China. The funeral will be held Wednesday afternoon at 2 o'clock at the Congregational church.

From Geneva Daily Times 13 June 1918

Rushville, N. Y. - 
The death of Barney C. Barker occurred Wednesday after a long illness. He was born in Italy Hollow, Nov. 22, 1850, a son of Andrew and Emma Austen Barker. He was united in marriage to Emma Smith 45 years ago and they have resided in Rushville for the past 43 years. Besides his wife, he leaves one son, Emmette Barker of Seneca Castle; and two granddaughters, Eva and Thelma Barker, who made their home with their grandparents. The funeral service will be at the Barker home Friday afternoon at 3 o'clock. Burial in Rushville cemetery. Rev. C. M. Hamblin will officiate.

From Shortsville Enterprise 11 March 1915

The death of Mrs. Charles Barker, who resided about three miles north of this village in Manchester township, occurred at her home on Tuesday afternoon of last week, aged 34 years. Her demise was occasioned by tuberculosis, and she had been in poor health for the past year. Mrs. Barker was the second daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James Tate, of Manchester township, and was born in the village of Manchester on November 16, 1880. Her entire life had been passed in this section, with the exception of four years spent in Rochester. She was married to Mr. Barker on December 18, 1895. Besides her husband, she leaves her parents, Mr. and Mrs. James Tate; two children, Bessie and George Barker; one brother, Joseph Tate of Manchester; and one sister, Mrs. Clara Trask of Buffalo. The funeral services were held from her late home last week Thursday morning and the burial followed in Brookside cemetery at this place.

From Clifton Springs Press 21 November 1901

Mr. and Mrs. Elisha Kennedy attended the funeral of Mr. Kennedy's grandfather, Elisha Barker, of Naples. Deceased was 83 years of age and an industrious, honorable man. Three children and several grandchildren are left to mourn for him.

From Ontario County Journal 16 February 1912

Naples, N. Y. -  Frank Barker
was found in an unconscious state Monday night about 6 o'clock in an alley near Fisher's ice house. He was taken to the home of Charles Peck, with whom he was living, and died at 9 o'clock with apoplexy. He was born in the town of Italy 55 years ago. He lived on the old homestead, the Charles Barker farm, for a number of years and then moved to Naples, where he had since resided. He had already engaged to work for Father W. Clark at Stanley for the coming season. He is survived by one daughter, Mrs. Morgan Thistle of Rochester; one sister, Mrs. Sarah Hunt of Michigan; and two brothers, Elmer Barker of Clifton Springs, and Clark Barker of Naples. The funeral will be held from the home of his brother today at 11 a.m.. Coroner McDowell held an inquest.

From Ontario County Journal 31 March 1893

The death of Mrs. J. Albert Barker, formerly Julia P. Glass, occurred at her home on Mason street yesterday morning at 8 o'clock. The funeral will be held tomorrow afternoon. Mrs. Barker was thirty-nine years of age. The cause of death was pneumonia.

From Ontario County Times 9 April 1890

East Bloomfield, N. Y. -  Mr. Luther Barker,
aged 72 years, died very suddenly last Thursday morning and was buried on Saturday. He was an enthusiastic nurseryman, bending all his energies to the cultivation of plants and trees, and to the "beautifying of nature" until heart failure, induced by overwork, caused him to cease his effort and yield to the inevitable. He will be missed by the public in general.

From Geneva Daily Times 22 September 1933

Clifton Springs, N. Y. -  Thomas Barker,
82, died at his home on East Main St., Wednesday morning. He had been in poor health for some time but his passing came unexpectedly. He has been a resident of the vicinity of Clifton Springs for many years conducting a large farm west of the village until about 12 years ago when he retired from active work and moved into the village where he has since resided. Besides his widow, he leaves a daughter, Miss Ida Barker of Cleveland, and a son, J. W. Barker of Geneva. Funeral will be held Saturday at 3:30 p.m., Rev. B. A. Little officiating.

From Geneva Gazette 9 August 1878

On Monday last, Aug. 5th, our well-known and venerable townsman, Mr. George Barkley, passed from earth. His has been a remarkable busy and useful life--he was a worker in the literal sense of that term, and its fruits were both honor and competence in this world; while religious duties humbly recognized and faithfully performed, it we may rely upon the divine promise, have secured to him an eternal reward. Mr. Barkley was a native of Dryden, Tompkins county, born December 31, 1798, making his age a little over 79 years and 7 months. His parents were originally from Orange county--his mother, a sister of the late Judge Crawford of Schuyler county. In youth he learned the trade of a carpenter, and while working in that capacity on a large mill at Fall Creek, near Ithaca, he sustained a fall from a height of four or five stories, which inflicted injuries of a serious nature, thought not permanent disabling him from active mechanical pursuits.

In 1818, or at the age of about 20, he married Miss === Harrison of Eddytown, and a year or two thereafter moved to Phelps, where he purchased a lot and built himself a home. Geneva offering a more inviting field for the pursuit of his trade, he moved here in 1822 or '26, locating on the corner of Geneva and Tillman sts. A few years later he built himself a homestead on the northwest corner of Water (now Exchange) and Tillman sts. After residing there several years, he bought a lot on Geneva street and erected what was then considered quite a large and commodious dwelling house, laying the foundation in a wheat stubble. There he resided until a comparatively recent period. In the meantime, Mr. Barkley engaged quite extensively in business as a contractor and builder. In about the years 1828-30 he erected and ran a large flouring mill at Big Stream, which he subsequently sold at a good price to the late L. G. Townsend. His next extensive job was the construction of the Long Pier at Geneva, the plans for which were designed for the State by the late Gen. Joseph G. Swift, Civil Engineer. In this work, G. W. Sentell was associated with Mr. Barkley.His next undertaking was as a sub-contractor, in '32 or '33. in constructing a large pier at Sodus, a government work. We believe Gen. Swift had the original contract for this work. Next we find him engaged in a most important enterprise for Geneva -- the erection of our first steam mill -- one considered at that time somewhat hazardous, for it was doubted that it could successfully compete with the many mills in close proximity to Geneva run by water power. This mill was located at the foot of Colt's hill, on the lot where now stands the residence of Abram Thornton, and opposite which (northerly) stands its successor erected the present year by the Messrs. Coursey. Despite of misgivings the enterprise was eminently successful, at least so long as under Mr. Barkley's management. He sold to good advantage in '43. In this same year Gen. Swift persuaded him to go to New Orleans, where as sub-contractor or under the General, he built the Lake Pontchartrain railroad. After this job was done he was joined by the late Sanford R. Hall (who was then an invalid,) and with him spent the ensuing winter in the West Indian islands and states of Central and South America.

By this time, Mr. Barkley had amassed a competence, and his later years were passed in comparative leisurely ease. It should be stated that in cooperation with Mr. Fellows and Mr. S. R. Hall, he gave the land which constitutes the small but beautiful Genesee Park, now considered quite an adornment of the northerly part of our village. Mr. Barkley manifested a decided interest in public affairs-- was an attentive and observant reader and fixed and firm in political opinions. We knew him well as an ardent Whig in the halcyon days of that party, and equally zealous in the ranks of its successor, the Republican party. But he was tolerant and considerate towards political opponents, never permitting such differences to alienate friendships or disturb business relations. He bestowed his patronage as freely upon the publishers of the Gazette as upon his own local political organ, and seemed as much at home in our "sancturn" as elsewhere, possibly because of his inborn sympathy for "old settlers" like the Gazette, which ante-dated even his own settlement in Geneva.

Mr. Barkley was no aspirant for official honors; hence when offices were so diligently sought after, it is no wonder that we find him connected but subordinately in public affairs. He was elected and served for several years in the village Board of Trustees, and was President thereof. He was also for several years a member of the County Board of Excise Commissioners, a most trying and thankless office to fill. He may have erred at times, according to others' ways of thinking, but we believe all will accord to him an honest, conscientious discharge of every duty.

The venerable consort of 60 years in wedded life still survives him, but she is waiting as it were just at the river's edge to cross and meet him who has gone before. Of six children who have blessed their household, four are yet living, two sons and two daughters. Of the deceased one was the first wife of Mr. Chester A. Smith of this village, the other the first wife of Mr. Isaac M. Schermerhorn, Esq., Post Master at Buffalo. The living, who followed the beloved and mourned sire to his grave, are his sons, Harvey and George, the latter of Geneseo, and daughters, one the present wife of Mr. Smith and one still unmarried. A citizen who has spent such a long, active and useful life among us, doing his whole part to promote the moral and material interests of his adopted town, deserves an honored place in the memory of the inhabitants.

From Ontario County Journal 14 January 1910

Richmond, N. Y. -
It was with a feeling of sorrow that this community received the news of the death of George W. Barkley, which occurred at Memorial hospital, Canandaigua, on Jan. 6, where he went for medical treatment in November. It was a painful illness of nearly a year. He was the son of General Barkley, who received the state appointment and succeeded General Granger in the state militia. His mother was Laura Lusk of Victor. He was born in October, 1843, on the farm now owned and occupied by the family, which his father cleared from a wilderness in 1816. His father was one of the founders of the Methodist church, the first church built in Honeoye, and deceased was later a member. In later years he united with the Episcopal church at Decatur, Ill., his recent home. Mr. Barkley received his education at the Naples academy. He boarded with Mrs. Laura Clark, mother of Dr. Noah T. Clark, with whom he maintained a lifelong friendship. He finished his education at the Commercial college, Toronto. In 1866, he was married to Miss Alida Smith of Mt. Morris, who survives him; with two daughters, Frances, born in this town, now the wife of Dr. M. P. Parrish, head surgeon in the Wabash R. R. hospital, and three grandchildren; his youngest daughter, Mrs. G. B. White of Fort Hunter. Two brothers and two sisters survive: A. J. Barkley of Los Angeles, and T. J. Barkley, county judge of Dighton, Kas., Mrs. C. A. Millard of Richmond, and Mrs. G. W. Reed of Holcomb, at whose home the funeral service was held on Monday, Rev. W. D. Robinson officiating. Interment was in the family plot at Lakeview cemetery, Rev. Dr. Dill, Honeoye, officiating.

From Ontario County Journal 23 January 1914

Honeoye, N. Y. -  Mrs. Julia Barkley,
wife of T. J. Barkley, died on Monday evening at the Barkley homestead, about three miles southeast of this place, aged 90 years. Mrs. Barkley was born in Putnam county. Later she moved to Canadice with her parents, where she married Mr. Barkley. Subsequently, Mr. and Mrs. Barkley moved to Kansas, where they resided for 30 years. Owing to advanced age and failing health, they returned to the old homestead. Mrs. Barkley leaves, besides her husband, a daughter, Mrs. Charles Atchinson of Brockport; a son, Mack Barkley of Bristol; five grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. The funeral took place on Tuesday afternoon from the home, Rev. Gordon Henshaw officiating. Interment was made at the old Hamilton cemetery, where three children lie buried.

From Ontario County Journal 7 July 1893

Honeoye, N. Y. -
The coroner's verdict upon the death of Lafayette Barkley, who accidentally committed suicide by taking chloral, while temporarily insane from drink, was "paralysis of the heart, superinduced by an overdose of chloral, administered by his own hand."

From Ontario County Journal 7 April 1893

Honeoye, N. Y. - Mrs. Laura Lusk Barkley,
the widow of Gen. Thos. Barkley, died Monday, April 3, after a long illness, aged 79 years. The funeral was held from her late residence Thursday at 2 p.m., Rev. Mr. Day officiating. The burial was in Lake View by the side of her husband, whom she had survived for fourteen years.

From Geneva Daily Times 5 April 1911

The funeral of Mrs. Alice Barlow, widow of James Barlow, who died Sunday evening at the home of her son, William A. Barlow, in South Bristol, took place this afternoon at 2:30 o'clock from the home of her daughter, Mrs. George E. Gasper, 108 High street. Rev. J. B. Hubbs, D. D., officiated and burial was in Glenwood Cemetery.

From Geneva Gazette December 28 1888

Oaks Corners - 
  The funeral services of Mr. Charles Barlow were held at his late residence last Tuesday at 2 p.m.  Mr. Barlow had been ill but a few days, but that swift disease typhoid pneumonia did its fatal work.  The sorrowing family have the sympathy of the entire community.

From Ontario Repository and Messenger 10 May 1876

Edward Barlow
of Oaks Corners, aged about twenty-six years, died very suddenly on Sunday last. He had been suffering from inflammatory rheumatism. It had settled in his knee, which had become inflamed and mortified. It has been stated that his death resulted from an injection of morphine in the knee, to which he subjected himself before the doctor was summoned.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 8 October 1938

Canandaigua - Fred Barlow,
53, died yesterday in his home in Chapin St. after a week's illness. Surviving are the widow, Mrs. Loretta Hotchkiss Barlow, one son, James, Canandaigua, and a brother, William Barlow, New York City. Funeral services will be held at 2:30 p.m. Monday in the home with burial in Woodlawn cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 2 March 1907

James Barlow, aged 75 years, died at 1:20 o'clock this afternoon at the home of his son, William A. Barlow, 83 Brook street. Death was from general debility. He is survived by William A. Barlow, and one daughter, Mrs. George Gasper.
Burial Glenwood Cemetery.

From Geneva Advertiser Gazette 29 March 1906

James E. Barlow
died at the home of his father, James Barlow, last Tuesday, aged about fifty years, leaving a wife and four children, two brothers and one sister, besides his parents. He had not been in good health for some time, and latterly his lungs were attacked, and he was carried off by consumption. Burial Glenwood Cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 14 April 1911

Honeoye, N. Y. -  Fitch R. Barnard,
a prominent farmer of Richmond, entered the higher life, after a short illness, on April 5, in his 59th year. His death was due to a stroke of apoplexy which prostrated him the week before. Mr. Barnard was the son of Peter and Fannie Reed Barnard and was born at the old homestead where his brother now lives. He was graduated from the Genesee Wesleyan seminary and in 1879 was united in marriage to Miss Sarah Jerome, of Livonia, who with two children, Mrs. F. W. Herman of Renssalaer and Solon H. Barnard, are left to carry on the work he has laid down. There are also two grandchildren, one sister, Mrs. R. C. Beach, and one brother, P. Pitts Barnard, left to mourn his loss. The funeral was held at the house Saturday and the burial was in Livonia. Mr. Barnard had the confidence of all who knew him and his death is a great loss to the community.

From Ontario County Journal 21 December 1888

Rushville, N. Y. - The funeral of Mrs. H. Barnard was attended from her late residence on Main street on Thursday afternoon. She died at Gorham village Sunday, Dec. 16, at the residence of Mr. Collins Mape's. Her age was 52 years and 8 months. A daughter survives her.

From Ontario Repository & Messenger 3 January 1872

A terrible accident occurred last Friday morning at the Break O'Day Flouring Mills in Victor. It appears that the proprietor, John Barnard, was engaged in oiling some part of the machinery, while it was running, and by some means was caught by the left hand and drawn in among the wheels, and was crushed in a most horrible manner. Mr. Barnard was some time ago badly injured on the New York Central railroad, which passes within five rods of his mill, and since that time has not been considered able to do any labor, and how it was that he ventured in this place is regarded as strange by his family. Deceased was of English birth, and he was generally respected. He leaves a wife and a number of children.

From Ontario County Times 24 March 1875

Brief announcement was made in this paper last week of the death of Lemuel Barnard, on the 11th inst., in the ninetieth year of his age. Mr. Barnard was born in the village of Deerfield, Mass., near Connecticut River, July 20, 1785. Francis Barnard (or Bernard, as the name was then spelt), emigrated from England, in 1634, and settled in Hartford, Conn. After several years he moved to Hadley, Mass., where he died in 1698. Joseph, his son, went to Deerfield among the earliest settlers, and was killed by the Indians in 1695. His grave stone was the first erected in Deerfield, and is still standing. He left several children, among whom was Ebenezer, the grandfather of Mr. Barnard. He died in 1764. Salah, son of Ebenezer, was born in 1725 or 1726, and died 1795. When young he entered the army as a private, and rose to the rank of Major. He served during the French and Indian wars, 1745 to 1764, a period of nineteen years. He was married, in 1765, to Elizabeth Wines, had nine children, who, with the exception of two who died in infancy, all lived to an advanced age. Lemuel, the youngest and last survivor of this family, was born in Deerfield, July 31, 1785, and was educated at the academy in Deerfield under the tutorship of Prof. Hubbard. In 1805, he went to Canandaigua, and remained about a year, when he returned to his old home. In 1811, he again went to Canandaigua, and was married to Clorinda, daughter of Gen. Othuiel Taylor; returning again to Deerfield, where he spent the first four years of his happy married life. He then removed to Dansville, N. Y., and was engaged in the mercantile business till 1820, when he removed to Canandaigua. Shortly after this, in January. 1824, the sudden death of his wife fell with a crushing weight upon him, from which he never recovered. From the time of his return from Dansville he was a resident of Canandaigua to the time of his death, with the exception of some four years, from 1836 to 1840, mostly spent in Buffalo.

By the death of his wife, Mr. Barnard was left in a painful condition -- having cast upon himself alone, the care, culture and education of a large family of children, the youngest of which was yet an infant. Mr. Barnard had naturally an amiable disposition. During all his latter years he exemplified in his walk and conversation, those Christian virtues which evince a life of faith. The emblem upon his coffin at the burial indicated that he died at a good old age, like a shock of corn fully ripe.

From Geneva Gazette 20 September 1850

In this village on the 6th inst., at the residence of her son, Mrs. Mary Barnard, in the 77th year of her age.  At a very early day she came to this town with her husband, Foster Barnard, from Northumberland, Mass.  At that time there were but one or two frame houses in the village, and much of the country adjacent, especially west of this place, was a wilderness.  In common with the early settlers, she encountered many trials, which she bore with fortitude.  Some twenty-five years since she made a public profession of religion, by uniting with the Presbyterian Church under the care of the late Dr. Axtell, her relation to which was exchanged at a later day for the communion of the Methodist Church.  She was the mother of twelve children, four of whom she buried in this place and one at Buffalo, and in 1844 followed her husband to the grave.  Her efforts to provide for the comfort of her husband during a long and tedious illness before his decease, together with other fatigues incident to a mother having the care of her own protracted illness, which for some time before her death seemed to impair the powers of her mind as well as prostrate her body.  She now sleeps, remembered with respect by all who knew her, and mourned by a numerous circle of relatives who once looked to her for counsel and support.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 20 March 1894

Albert Barnes,
a well-known residence of Farmington, died at his home in that town yesterday morning. He leaves a wife and one daughter, Mrs. Quackenbush, of Canandaigua.

From Ontario County Chronicle 10 April 1901

Phelps, N. Y. - Edward Barnes, aged 73 years, died from a severe attack of the grip. He is survived by four sons, William Barnes of this place, Thomas Barnes of Newark, James Barnes of Palmyra and Ira Barnes of Lima; also two daughters, Rosette Barnes of Floral Park, L. I., and Mrs. Jessie Hoad of the state of Washington.

The Lima Recorder, March 1, 1888, page 1
Honeoye Falls Happenings, From the Gazette and Times.

Mr. Edward W. Barnes, of Shortsville, died at the residence of his sister, Mrs. Prentiss, in this village, on Monday last of pneumonia. His age was 61 years. The interment took place at Shortsville.

Thanks to Martha Magill for this donation.

From Syracuse Journal 21 September 1938

Elias Barnes,
75, of Hall, Ontario County, father of Mrs. Anna Shannon, died Monday at his home after suffering a stroke last Friday. He had been a resident of the Hall section more than 50 years and for 40 years was a thresherman operating his own rig. Besides Mrs. Shannon, he is survived by his wife, Mrs. Julia M. Barnes; another daughter, Mrs. Lena Knapp of Marcellus; and two grandchildren. Mr. Barnes was a past exalted ruler of the I. O. O. F. lodge at Hall and a member of the grange.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 10 April 1907

Clifton Springs, N. Y. - 
The death of Norton Burr Barnes occurred yesterday morning at the home of his father-in-law, David M. Wells, Pleasant street, in this village. Mr. Barnes was born in Manchester and had lived his entire life in this vicinity. He had been employed in the Crown drill works in Phelps for the past three years and had made that place his home during that time. He was 33 years old and he was a member of the First Methodist church of Phelps. He married Miss Sadie Wells of Clifton Springs eight years ago, who, with his little daughter, Katherine, survive him. He is also survived by three sisters, Mrs. Lewis Hoad of South Bend, Wash.; Mrs. Edgar Wheat of Ramsey, N. J.; and Miss Rose Barnes of East Orange, N. J.; four brothers, James of Clifton Springs; William of Phelps; Thomas of Newark; and Henry of Carol, Mich. The funeral services will be held in the Methodist church in this village Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock. The employees of the Crown drill works of Phelps will attend in a body.

From Ontario County Journal 26 April 1889

Daniel Barnett,
an aged citizen of Victor, died instantly while sitting in his chair at home Monday afternoon. He was the father of the Rev. John W. Barnett of Wayland.

From Geneva Daily Times 27 April 1943

The death of Mrs. Nora Barnett occurred this morning at her home at 24 Rose street following a long illness. Surviving is one daughter, Mrs. William Dinan of Geneva. She was a member of the Rosary Society of St. Francis de Sales Church.

From Ontario County Journal 21 February 1902

Naples, N. Y. -  Charles Barnhart
died at his home on the east side of Canandaigua lake, near the head, on Saturday. He was but 35 years of age, naturally hearty and strong. His life had been spent on the shores of the lake, with which, as well as with its mysterious depths, he was familiar. His occupation was largely fishing and trapping, though ready at any time to lend a helping hand to others. Barnhart was a favorite with sportsmen and pleasure seekers, and Woodville will seem almost deserted without him. A wife and four little children mourn his loss. He leaves also his mother, who now resides in Michigan. The funeral on Tuesday presented the unwonted scene of a long, solemn procession of hearse and sleighs crossing the lake on the ice, The burial was in Rose Ridge cemetery in this village.

From Ontario County Journal 8 May 1896

Naples, N. Y. -
After several months of suffering, William Barnhart died at his home near the head of the lake on Tuesday evening, aged 60. A year ago he seemed in the prime of life and was actively engaged in fishing which afforded him a good income. His death is due to paralysis, and for several weeks there has been no hope of recovery. A widow and one son are left to mourn him.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 8 July 1924

Canandaigua, N. Y., July 7 - Mrs. Bina Barnum,
77 years old, died at her home in the Academy road today after an illness of ten days. She is survived by her husband, William Barnum; a son, Lewis L. Miller; and a daughter, Mrs. H. Fay Nethaway, all of Canandaigua. Funeral services will be held at the late home Wednesday afternoon at 2 o'clock with Rev. Stephen S. Pratt, Methodist pastor, officiating. The burial will be made in Pine Bank cemetery at Cheshire.

From Naples Record 7 August 1935

Mrs. Ida Mae Goff Barnum,
52, wife of Fred Barnum of Cheshire, died Monday, August 5, 1935, in Memorial Hospital, Canandaigua. Surviving are her husband; two sons, Martin and James Barnum; a daughter, Miss Beatrice L. Barnum; her father, George W. Goff; a sister Mrs. Fred Haskell; and a brother, Ray Goff, all of Canandaigua town. Funeral services will be held at 2:30 p.m. today from the home.

From Ontario County Journal 17 February 1899

On Sunday morning, Mrs. Johanna Brace Barnum, died at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. Charles S. Hoyt, aged 86 years. Mrs. Barnum was a lifelong resident of Ontario county, her parents being among the earliest settlers in Victor township. The deceased was the wife of Major Jabez Barnum, who died nearly 50 years ago. She is survived by three daughters, Mrs. Charles S. Hoyt of this village; Mrs. Elizabeth Frease of Canton, Ohio; and Mrs. L. D. Covill of Rochester. The funeral was held from the Hoyt home on Tuesday afternoon, Rev. Asa Saxe, D. D., of Rochester, and Rev. C. J. Clausen of this village, officiating.

From Ontario County Journal 24 December 1897

Academy, N. Y. - Mrs. Martha Barnum,
wife of William M. Barnum, died on Tuesday morning at 5 o'clock. She did her housework on the previous day and retired in the evening in good health and spirits. Mr. Barnum was aroused by her hard breathing, and she said she was sick. He lighted the lamp and she gave one gasp for breath and died.

From Geneva Daily Times 9 August 1911

Victor, N. Y. - 
With the flag used to warn others in his outstretched hands, William Barnum, who had been flagman at the School street crossing of the Lehigh Valley Railroad here for some time, was struck about 7 o'clock yesterday morning by a through westbound passenger train. He evidently forgot that this train was due. Because of the way he was holding the flag, Barnum's fingers were taken off. His body was not badly mutilated, but he suffered internal injuries. His ribs were crushed, and one of the pierced his heart, causing his death. The injured man was picked up, placed in the carriage of James Tobin, Jr., who was waiting to cross at the time of the accident, and taken to the office of r. William B. Clapper, in West Main street, where it was seen at a glance that death was near. Mr. Barnum expired in the physician's office about 7:30 o'clock. The body was then taken to his home in the Henehan building in East Main street which he had left but a short time before. Mr. Barnum had resided here about three years, having moved from Toronto with his family. He had made many friends here.

From Geneva Daily Times 5 September 1916

Mrs. Abraham Baroody
of 13 Center street died at 9:30 this morning at the Geneva City Hospital. Mrs. Baroody is survived by seven children, five of them boys and two girls. The funeral will be on Thursday morning at the house at 9:30 o'clock and at the Greek church on Geneva street at 10 o'clock, the Rev. Daniel George officiating. Interment will be in Glenwood Cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 11 January 1930

George Baroody,
aged 55, died at his home, 50 Tillman Street, last night. He is survived by his wife; one son, Comell Baroody of Geneva; and two daughters, Mrs. Martha Solomon of Wilkes Barre, Pa., and Mrs. Catherine Baroody of Geneva; two brothers, James of Geneva and Michael of Syria; and several nieces and nephews. The funeral will be held at 10 o'clock Monday morning at St. Michael's Syrian Greek Orthodox church, with Rev. Daniel A. George officiating. Interment will be in Glenwood Cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 10 December 1945

George Baroody,
aged 39, of 52 Tillman street, died Saturday night after a long illness. He had resided in Geneva for the last 38 years. Surviving are his wife, Alice J.; one son, Raymond; his mother, Mrs. Helen Baroody, all of Geneva; five brothers, Samuel, John, Abraham and Joseph, all of Geneva, and Michael, with the U. S. Army in the Pacific area. Funeral rites will be held tomorrow morning at 9:30 o'clock from the late home, and at 10 o'clock at St. Michael's Syrian Orthodox Church. Rev. Michael Massabni, pastor, will officiate, and interment will be in Glenwood Cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 2 May 1936

Mrs. Helen Baroody,
widow of the late George Baroody, died last evening at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Michael Baroody, 8 Argyle street, following an illness of several months. Besides her daughter, she leaves three sons, Michael J., Abraham and Connell; and twelve grandchildren of Geneva; one sister, Mrs. Mary Baroody of Albany; and several nieces and nephews. The funeral mass will be celebrated at 11 o'clock at St. Michael's Syrian Orthodox church on Geneva street with the Very Rev. George Kattouf officiating. Interment will be in Glenwood Cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 4 September 1945

Mrs. Mary A. Baroody,
aged 54, wife of Michael J. Baroody of 29 Geneva street, died Saturday evening after a short illness. She was a member of St. Michael's Syrian Orthodox Church. Surviving are her husband; three daughters, Helen, Esther and Rosemary at home; two sons, John, Schenectady, and Staff Sergeant Albert Baroody, U. S. Army Medical Corps at Camp Fannin, Texas. Funeral services were held this morning from the late home and from St. Michael's Church. Rev. Michael F. Massabnl, pastor, officiated, and burial was made in Glenwood Cemetery. Bearers were Roger Baroody, Abraham Baroody, Abraham Sahald, Louis Mosier, Cornell Baroody and Leo George.

From Geneva Daily Times 11 February 1920

Clifton Springs, N. Y. -
The death of Charles Freeman Barrell occurred on Monday afternoon at his home on Crane street, in this village, after a brief illness of pneumonia. Mr. Barrell had been for many years a clerk in the Post office here. He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Elizabeth Barrell; and two children, Mrs. Doris Salter of Rochester and Percy Barrell of this village. The funeral will be held this afternoon, private, at 1:30.

From Geneva Daily Times 20 January 1904

Shortsville, N. Y. - Mrs. Elizabeth Barrett,
widow of the late James Barrett, died at her home in this village Monday at 9 o'clock, after a long illness. Mrs. Barrett, who was born in Ireland seventy-four years ago, has been a resident of Shortsville for over fifty years. She is survived by a daughter, Mrs. Mary A. Shaw, of this village, one son, Frank, of Waterloo, two sisters, Mrs. Quigley of Rochester, and Mrs. O'Hara of Shortsville, and four grandsons, Edward, Daniel, Frank and John Shaw, all of this village. The funeral will be held at St. Dominick's church Thursday morning, Rev. Father O'Hanlon of Clifton Springs conducting the services. Interment will be made in the Catholic cemetery near Clifton Springs.

From Ontario County Journal 27 May 1887

Bristol Center, N. Y. - The funeral of Henry Barrett was held last Monday at 2:30 p.m. at the M. E. church, Rev. Mr. Whiteside of Lima officiating. Mr. Barrett was a member of the G. A. R., and the friends thought it would be in accordance with his desire to have a G. A. R. man give the address at the funeral. Mr. Wheelock assisted in the services. The church and coffin were draped with the stars and stripes. A large number of friends and the resident members of the G. A. R. attended to do honor to his remains.

From Ontario County Journal 13 November 1908

Bristol Springs, N. Y. -
On Nov. 4 occurred the death of James Barrett at his home in this place, at the age of 71 years. He suffered a shock two weeks ago from which he did not recover. Besides his wife, he is survived by two children, James and Margaret, both residing at home. Mr. Barrett had been a resident of Bristol Springs about thirty-five years, coming from New York. He was respected throughout the community in which he lived. The funeral services were held from the Catholic church at Naples at 11 a.m. on Saturday and interment was made in the Rose Ridge cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 21 April 1905

Clifton Springs, N. Y. - Mrs. John Barrett
died at the home of her nephew, Claud VanHusen, in Rochester, Wednesday morning. Mrs. Barrett was seventy years of age, and has been a resident of this place for many years, and her was here. She was in Rochester on a visit and was expecting to return home Wednesday. She was taken suddenly ill on Tuesday. She was very active for a woman of her years and will be greatly missed by her many friends here. The funeral was held at the home of Mr. Van Husen in Rochester this afternoon at 3 o'clock with burial in the Mount Hope cemetery.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle  20 June 1924

Geneva, N. Y., June 19 - Peter Barrett,
77 years old, died at Geneva City Hospital last evening after an illness of three months. Surviving are a son, Lawrence Barrett of Chicago; a daughter, Miss Margaret Barrett of Geneva; and a brother, William Barrett of Geneva. Funeral services will be held from the home, No. 14 Elm street, at 8:30 o'clock Saturday morning and from St. Stephen's Church at 9 o'clock, Rev. William McPadden officiating. Interment will be in St. Patrick's cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 23 July 1930

The death of Mrs. Rose Barrile of 4 Carter Road occurred at the Geneva General Hospital last evening after a short illness. She is survived by her husband, Dominic Barrile, and three sons and one daughter. The funeral will be held on Thursday morning at 8:30 o'clock from her late home and 9:00 o'clock at St. Francis de Sales church. Interment will be in St. Patrick's cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 22 March 1895

Bristol, N. Y. -
The funeral services of Ebenezer Barringer, a much esteemed citizen, who died Saturday , March 16, aged 79 years, took place at the Universalist church Tuesday afternoon, Rev. H. J. Orelup officiating.

From Ontario County Journal 6 March 1874

Died -
At his home in Bristol, on the evening of Thursday, the 26th ult., Henry Barringer, Jr., aged 57 years.  Thus has another active citizen of our town been called away in the midst of a busy life.  Mr. Barringer was attacked with the disease (pneumonia) which so suddenly terminated his life while in Canandaigua attending Court as a juror.  He stayed at the post of duty for several days when he ought to have been at home and in bed, and when he yielded it was but to come home to die. His death has left a void that can never be filled in his family, and it is sadly felt in the community in which most of his life had been spent, for he was a kind husband, an indulgent father, an obliging neighbor, a good citizen and an honest man. He left a widow and one daughter, who have, as they most richly deserve, the heartfelt sympathy of their many friends.  His funeral was attended at the Universalist Church on Sunday the 1st inst., and a sermon was preached to a crowded house by Rev. H. Jewell.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 12 February 1918

Phelps, N. Y., Feb. 11 - Henry Franklin Barringer, aged 62 years, died Sunday morning at his home in Pleasant street, following a long period of ill health. Mr. Barringer had been a successful farmer in this community for the last twenty-five years. He was born at Benton, Yates county, January 24, 1856, a son of Jacob H., and Katherine Barringer. Previous to his removal to the town of Phelps he lived in Seneca county and for the last fifteen years he occupied a home in this village. Mr. Barringer was married November 29, 1876, to Miss Adelaide Fisk, of Junius, who survives. He also leaves a daughter, Mrs. Frank Webb, and two grandchildren, of Newark; a brother, and three sisters, George Barringer, Mrs. Henry Busch, and Mrs. Charles H. Hill, of Junius, and Mrs. Margaret King, of Waterloo. Rev. C. C. MacLean, minister of the Presbyterian Church, will conduct the funeral services at 2 o'clock Tuesday afternoon at the family home and burial will be in Rest Haven cemetery, Phelps.

From Geneva Daily Times 4 October 1895

Announcement is made of the death of David Barron at his home in Seneca last night, at the age of 95 years, after an illness of eight weeks. Up to within four years of his death, he had not been sick a day, and was always distinguished for his robust health. He was well-known in Geneva, for he had lived 58 years on the farm where he died. Mr. Barron was born in Northumberland, England, on August 15th, 1800, and during the same year came to America. With the exception of 14 years spent in Caledonia and Bath, he has lived in this vicinity. In 1829, he was married to Mrs. Sarah Shaddock in Scottsville, Monroe county, who died fourteen years ago. He was the father of four children, none of whom are living, and is survived by several relations, one of whom is W. J. Barron of this place. The deceased leaves a large estate. The time of the funeral service is not yet been announced. Mr. Barron was a man most highly esteemed in the neighborhood, and had lived here longer than any foreign-born known in the state. He has a large acquaintance by whom his death will be lamented.

From Geneva Gazette 10 February 1888

On Monday, January 30th, Mrs. Mary J., wife of W. W. Barron of Seneca, died after a long illness.  She had been troubled for several years with heart disease, and while her death was not unexpected yet it had been hoped she would be spared to her husband and family for many years.  She was a conscientious Christian lady, and greatly esteemed by all who had the pleasure of her acquaintance for her many estimable qualities.  In their affliction the husband and family have the sincere sympathy of all.

From Geneva Courier 15 March 1882

Mrs. Sarah Barron
died at her home in Seneca, Ontario county, on the morning of Feb. 20th.  She was the daughter of Darius and Martha Shadbolt, and was born in Stillwater, Saratoga county, N. Y., Dec. 8th, 1801.  Was married in Wheatland Co. (her parents having removed there) March 22nd, 1827, to David Barron.  In the spring of 1832 they located on the south side of what was then known as the Widow Latta farm, (buying out Samuel Latta) on which they have resided nearly fifty years.  They had five children, three boys and two girls, all of whom are dead; the last one "Mary", died 1852.  Mrs. Barron has been confined to the house mostly for the last seven years, having broken her hip by a fall in the spring of 1875.

From Geneva Gazette 16 September 1892

Mr. Thomas Barron of Seneca has reached the advanced age of 90 years, and is probably the best-preserved man of his years in Ontario county.  As evidence we cite the fact that one day last week he walked across lots fully a mile and climbed a five-rail fence to call on his neighbor, Mrs. John Reed, and returned by the same route, all within two and one-half hours. He was not over-wearied by the journey either.  His brother, David, is two years older, but shows more perceptibly his great age.  It is hoped both will remain with us many years. Since the above was penned, we learn with regret that Mr. Barron has suffered a stroke of paralysis, which threatens a fatal result.

From Geneva Gazette 23 September 1892

Obituary -
Our venerable townsman, Thomas Barron, passed away at an early hour last Saturday morning.  In a "personal" last week, we referred to his advanced age of nearly ninety years, and to his achievement of walking a mile, climbing fences, etc., in visiting a neighbor; also to the fact that a day or two subsequently he was stricken down with paralysis.  Whether the attack was produced from over exertion on the occasion referred to, or from other causes incident to extreme age, we have not learned.  The sad denouement of his death is chronicled.

The deceased was the youngest of three brothers, whose father emigrated to America from England in the first year of this century, accompanied by his wife and two children, one of whom (David) still survives in the 93rd year of his age. The old people soon found their way in 1801 to this comparative wilderness, coming by water route up the Mohawk and its tributaries through the Seneca Lock Navigation Co.'s channel to Seneca Lake.  They located on the very farm where, a year later, the subject of this notice was born.  Their first habitation was a log cabin with two small aperatures for a single pane of glass each. Thomas Barron continued in occupancy of this farm all through his long, contented and uneventful life.  

Two sons were born to him, both still living, namely John and William, the latter succeeding by occupancy to the farm. Wm. J. Barron, proprietor of the public sheds, is a nephew of deceased -- son of his oldest brother long since departed. The deceased was a well-read, well-intentioned man.  Up to 1854 he was in politics a pronounced Whig. When the bulk of the Whig party at the North became merged or absorbed into the Republican party, Mr. Barron followed the course of many Whigs like the Roses, the Nicholases, the Doxes, Slosson, Kipp and others, and found natural affiliations with the Democratic party, to which he was faithful to the last.

Mr. Barron was very kind-hearted, of a jovial nature, and enjoyed the esteem of every neighbor and acquaintance.  He had been twice married and survived both his marital companions.  His funeral took place Tuesday last and was very largely attended--interment in Glenwood cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 7 May 1908

William W. Barron,
aged 81 years, died last night at his home in Seneca where he has lived his entire lifetime. Two daughters survive him, Mrs. R. J. Plumb of Rochester and Mrs. L. A. Cooper of Seneca. The funeral will take place from the house at 2 o'clock Saturday afternoon. Rev. David H. Craver, pastor of the North Presbyterian church, will officiate and burial will be in Glenwood Cemetery.

From Shortsville Enterprise 9 December 1915

Walter M. Barry, of Grove street, mourns the death of his estimable father, Andrew J. Barry, which occurred at his home in Clifton Springs on Nov. 29. Mr. Barry and family attended the funeral services held last week Wednesday morning. The burial was in St. Agnes cemetery near Clifton Springs.

From Ontario County Journal 7 December 1906

Mrs. Bridget Qualter Barry,
wife of Thomas Barry, died at the family home near Centerfield, on Wednesday, aged 58 years. She is survived by her husband, three daughters, Mrs. Austin O'Reilly, Mrs. Nora Paul and Miss Lizzie Barry; and one son, George. The funeral will be held from St. Mary's church this morning.

From Geneva Daily Times 24 December 1926

Clifton Springs, N. Y. -  George T. Barry,
49 years old, prominent business man of this village for many years, died at the Clifton Springs Sanitarium last evening. A former village president and postmaster from 1913 to 1921, he had been very active in the affairs of this village where he spent his entire life. He was a member of the firm Deveroux and Company, and previous to joining the firm, he served as an employee at the Sanitarium. Among the projects in which he wad been instrumental was the moving of the post-office from the Foster Building to the present location in the village hall. He was past master of Garoga Lodge, F. & A. M., and worthy patron of Garoga chapter, O. E. S. Surviving him are his wife, Anna W. Barry; a daughter, Violet and a son, George E. Barry, Jr.; a brother, Walter Barry of Shortsville; and a sister, Mrs. Charles Morphy of Buffalo. Funeral services will be held at 3 o'clock Sunday afternoon in St. John's Episcopal church and interment will take place in Clifton Springs cemetery. The Rev. Charles E. Purdy of Geneva will officiate.

From Ontario County Journal 28 February 1896

East Bloomfield, N. Y. -
The funeral of John Barry, whose death occurred on Sunday at the home of his son, Richard Barry, was held at the St. Bridget's church on Tuesday at 10 o'clock. Rev. Father Donnelly of Victor officiated. Mr. Barry was 104 years old and leaves three sons, William, Richard, and Michael.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 25 May 1938

Fishers, N. Y. - John Henry Barry
died yesterday. He is survived by his wife, Julia Sullivan Barry; two daughters, Mrs. Edward Henderson and Mrs. Mabel Wheeler of Rochester; one son, John Ernest Barry of Fishers; one sister, Mrs. Mary Driscoll of Victor; a brother, James of Rochester; seven grandchildren and several nieces and nephews. Funeral services will be held at 8:15 a.m. Friday in the home at Fishers, and at 9 a.m. in St. Patrick's Church in Victor. Interment will be in St. Patrick's Cemetery.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 9 April 1947

Mrs. Maranda Bennett Barry
of Victor entered into rest April 8. She is survived by her husband, John V. Barry; eight sons, Leo, Leonard, Walter, Bernard, Francis, Harold, Everett and Gordon; five daughters, Mrs. Walter Leary, Mrs. Isabel Murray, Mrs. Walter Timm, Mrs. Osborn Hunt and Mrs. Raymond Henehan, all of Victor; one sister, Mrs. William Washburn of Canandaigua; one brother, Allie Bennett of Victor; 13 grandchildren. The funeral will be held from her home on the Boughton Hill Rd., Friday morning at 8:30 and at 9 o'clock from St. Patrick's Church. Interment in St. Bridget's Cemetery, E. Bloomfield.

From Geneva Daily Times 14 April 1905

Clifton Springs, N. Y. -
The death of Matthew Barry, seventy-eight years old, occurred at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Charles Morphy, on Broad street, yesterday. He died from the effects of a paralytic stroke. Mr. Barry has been a resident of this village for the past fifty years. He is survived by seven children, four sons and three daughters. The funeral services will be held tomorrow morning from the St. Felix church and burial will be in St. Agnes cemetery, west of this village.

From Ontario Messenger 6 April 1853

Man Killed - A man named Michael Barry, living in East Bloomfield, was instantly killed on the C. & N. F. R. R. on the 29th ult., about a mile west of this village. In attempting to jump upon the tender of the gravel train, while the train was in motion, he slipped and fell upon the track, and all the cars in the train passed over his body. Coroner Royce held an inquest on the body the same day, and from his statement of the verdict we gather the above facts.

From Victor Herald 9 May 1891

A farmer named Michael Barry, of East Bloomfield, was killed by the 7:10 o'clock eastbound train on the "Peanut" railroad while walking on the track near the Buffalo street crossing, just west of Canandaigua, Wednesday evening. He was probably on his way home and was walking toward the engine. Engineer William Walling saw him long before he struck him, and supposing of course that Barry would leave the track, made no attempt to stop his train, but blew his whistle several times. Just before the engine struck Barry, he stepped outside of the track and was hit by the bumper in his right side. He was thrown down an embankment of ten feet. The train was stopped immediately, but when the engineer reached Barry, he was dead. His side was badly smashed, his right arm was broken and on the left side of his face he sustained a deep cut, the latter being the result of the fall. The body was taken to Canandaigua and placed in the baggage room. Coroner Beahan was summoned and a jury empanelled. Barry was about 62 years old, married and had a family of grownup children.

From Victor Herald 21 September 1900

East Bloomfield, N. Y. -
Last Sunday, occurred the death of Mrs. Michael Barry, widow of the late Michael Barry, after an illness of ten days, at the age of fifty-six years. Funeral services were held at St. Bridget's church Tuesday morning, Rev. P. A. Neville officiating. Interment was made in the Catholic cemetery. There was a large attendance at the funeral.

From Ontario County Journal 19 January 1900

The death of Patrick Barry occurred at his home on Chapin street last Friday morning, at the age of 86 years, his death following only 13 days after that of his wife. He is survived by seven children.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 6 June 1929

Victor, N. Y., June 5 - Mrs. Richard Barry,
68, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. John Wilson. She is survived by six daughters, Mrs. Irene Mertens and Mrs. Thresa Feeney of New York City, Mrs. Elizabeth Abraham of Canandaigua, Mrs. Mary McMahon, Mrs. Lillian Wilson and Miss Margaret Barry of Victor; seven sons, Alfred of Owego, Stephen of Canandaigua, Francis of Kirkville, Vincent, Ambrose, Thomas and Clement of Victor; and 30 grandchildren. The body has been removed to the home in Cherry street. Funeral Friday at 9 o'clock at St. Patrick's Church. Burial in St. Bridget's Cemetery, East Bloomfield.

From Shortsville N.Y. Enterprise Wednesday, October 26, 1938

Walter M. Barry Passes away

His friends were deeply shocked on Thursday morning to learn of the sudden passing of Walter M. Barry at his home in Grove street. While he had been in poor health for several months, he had been able to work most of the time, and had been confined to his bed about a week before the death summons. He was in his 63rd year.

Mr. Barry was born January 6, 1875, at Clifton Springs, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Matthew Barry. For the past 25 years he had been resident of Shortsville, being in the employ of  Papec Machine Company the major portion of this time. He had also conducted a meat market and grocery store in Water street for about a year. He was a faithful member of St. Dominic's Church, and not only active in all church societies, but for more than 19 years had been the chorister.

He was also deeply interested  in civic affairs, and had served the village as one of its Trustees for the past 5 years. He was appointed clerk of the Board of Education of Shortsville High School in 1934, and held both positions at the time of his death. He was also a member of Citizens Hose Company.

He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Florence Barry of Grove street, his daughter,  Mrs. Herbert Peters, of Ithaca, and a sister, Mrs. Rosetta Morphy of Buffalo. Funeral services were held from his home in Grove street on Saturday morning at 9 o'clock and from St. Dominic's Church at 9:30, conducted by the pastor, the Rev. John Napier. Burial was made in St. Rose cemetery. The bearers were Cornelius M. Mack, Harry M. McVittie, Frank H. Sweeney, B. Bennet Brown, Walter Clark, all of Shortsville

Many thanks to Elizabeth Yann for this contribution.

From Ontario County Journal 30 November 1888

Mr. and Mrs. Henry Bartack

A terrible accident occurred in Geneva last week resulting from the pernicious practice of building fires in stoves by the aid of kerosene. Early Thursday morning, Mrs. Henry Bartack, wife of a German employee of the Herendeen Works, started the fire in the kitchen stove, and as it didn't burn readily, she applied the deadly kerosene. As she poured the oil on the fire an explosion occurred and a quantity of the oil spattered over her and ignited from the flames. She was in an instant enveloped in roaring flames, and her husband who arose and rushed half-dressed to her assistance soon became a mass of flames himself from contact with her. In his frenzy he jumped through a window cutting himself severely. The frantic woman imagined the house was on fire and hastened to a crib in which her two little children were sleeping, and in her endeavors to carry them out, they were horribly burned. Assistance soon arrived and the flames which had almost entirely consumed the clothing of Bartack and his wife were extinguished, but not before they had been fatally burned. Mrs. Bartack died Friday morning and her husband followed her 24 hours later. The children were taken to the Church Home Hospital and it is hoped that they will recover although they were badly burned.

From Geneva Gazette 1 December 1893

OBITUARY - Frederic A. Barth
died at his residence, corner of North Main and Lewis streets, at half past 11 o'clock Wednesday night, of paralysis. The deceased was a native Prussian and came to this country in early youth. He has been a resident of Geneva for at least 30 years.  His occupation was that of a barber.  Enjoying a good patronage his earnings were frugally saved, enabling him to acquire a goodly property.  His business stand has been in or very near the Kirkwood in all the years of his labors.  For some time past Joseph Pliltz has been associated with him.  Some six or eight weeks ago, Mr. Barth had a slight stroke of paralysis which was followed at intervals by two more of greater severity, the last one as stated terminating fatally.  The deceased leaves a widow and three grown-up children, two sons and one daughter.  His youngest daughter died about two years ago. Mr. Barth was a communicant of St. Peter's Church and for many years a member of its Vestry.  His entire family belong to the same communion.  They have been sorely afflicted of late, as in addition to that fatal illness which has stricken down the husband and father, the only son at home has been prostrated on a bed of sickness for several weeks, the nature of his disease being such as to quarantine him against the visits and deprive him of the companionship of friends while prostrated. The funeral of Mr. Barth will take place Saturday from the house, at 2:30 P. M. Burial Glenwood Cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 10 December 1925

The death of Mrs. Mary C. Barth, aged 79 years, widow of the late Frederick A. Barth of this city, occurred this morning at 7 o'clock at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Peter R. Cole, Hamilton street, following a long illness. Mrs. Barth was born in Syracuse. Mr. Barth was, during his lifetime, for several years a Vestryman at St. Peter's Church, of which Mrs. Barth was a member. Mrs. Barth is survived by two sons, Frederick H. Barth of Syracuse and Louis A. Barth of Geneva; one daughter, Mrs. Cole; one brother, Henry Loefler of Washington, D. C.; one sister, Mrs. Caroline Walters of Manlius; and a grandson, Dr. J. F. Barth of New York City. The funeral will be held privately at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Peter R. Cole Saturday afternoon at 2 o'clock and at 2:30 at St. Peter's Episcopal church. Rev. Ross Randall Calvin, the rector will have charge and will be assisted by Rev. Dr. J. B. Hubbs, chaplain of Hobart College. Interment will be made in Glenwood Cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 30 December 1892

Another suicide in the lamentably long list of those which have been chronicled during the past year, occurred in Bristol street Wednesday evening. The death is wrapped in considerable mystery, but the following facts have been gleaned from the family: Mrs. Minnie Kaufman Barthlemes, a daughter of Louis and Mary Kaufman, of Bristol street, was sitting Wednesday evening in the living room of her parents' home. George Freistueck, who has recently entered the employ of John Gartland in his meat market, and was engaged to Mrs. Barthlemes, was calling upon her. She had just been giving Mr. Freistueck a narrative of her Christmas visit to Rochester, when, about 11 o'clock, she suddenly arose and passed into the kitchen in the rear. A moment later she rushed quickly back into the living room and told Mr. Freistueck that she had swallowed poison. She also told him to call her mother at once. Then she went to the back part of the house. Mrs. Kaufman and Mr. Freistueck quickly followed, and found Mrs. Barthlemes vomiting violently. Dr. Jas. Hawley was at once summoned, and arrived at the house shortly after 12 o'clock. Prompt and energetic measures were taken to secure the entire ejection of poison from the system, but efforts were unavailing. The heart soon became affected, and a quick failing of its action resulted in death in about 10 minutes after 1 o'clock. Questioned by Dr. Hawley and her mother, Mrs. Barthlemes said that she had swallowed the entire contents of a box of rat poison, probably in all over an ounce. She had then thrown the box into the fire. The poison had been purchased in Rochester.

Mrs. Barthlemes was married before she was sixteen years of age, her husband dying about a year after the marriage. Seven years have elapsed since that time, Mrs. Barthlemes being at the time of her death nearly 24 years old. Since her husband's death, she has lived part of the time in Rochester. No member of the family could assign any reason for the suicide. Mrs. Barthlemes shortly after taking the poison, told her mother that she had a reason, but would not tell it, despite earnest solicitation. For several weeks she had been unusually quiet, her natural disposition being quite different. This fact was noticed by more than one person, and had been mentioned to the mother, who, however, failed to attach any importance to it. The theory of insanity is not advanced by the family, nor does such a theory seem tenable, as she had acted and talked with perfect rationality up to the time when she took the poison, and also from that time till she lost consciousness. The remains will be conveyed to Batavia, the former home of the family, where the interment will take place.

From Geneva Gazette 30 December 1892

Suicide at Canandaigua - Mrs. Minnie K. Bartholomay,
a young widow 24 years of age, committed suicide Wednesday night by taking a dose of "Rough on Rats."  She left her "company," a young man to whom it is intimated she was engaged, and during the brief absence swallowed the fatal dose and returned to his presence.  When the poison took effect and her manner changed she confessed the act.  A physician was promptly summoned who exerted himself to the utmost to save her life but without avail.  She died between 2 and 3 o'clock in the morning.  When asked as to the cause, she replied that she had no wish to live any longer and was forced to self-destruction for reasons which she refused to reveal, and felt no regret over her act.  A coroner's jury will investigate the matter.

From Ontario County Journal 20 January 1888

Naples, N. Y. - Aaron Bartholomew, an old and prominent resident of Garlinghouse, in this town, died on Tuesday at the age of 78 years. Some two weeks since, his grandson pared a corn upon the toe of his grandfather, and shaved so closely that the blood flowed. Blood poisoning from this slight cause has resulted in his death.

From Ontario County Journal 23 March 1917

Honeoye, N. Y. - 
Saturday morning occurred the death of Aaron Bartholomew, at his home on the west lake road. He was born in Garlinghouse, town of Naples, December 14, 1844. A few of the earlier years of his life were spent in Pennsylvania, but the greater part was spent in this state. In 1866 he married Miss Clara Westbrook, of Garlinghouse, who survives him. He leaves eight children, Mrs. George Gross of Rochester; Mrs. William Randolf of Bath; Mrs. Nellie Hill, and Mrs. Henry VanRiper of Wayland; Hiram of Elmira, Henry, Gilbert and Aaron of Canadice; two brothers, Jean and William of Garlinghouse; and a sister, Mrs. Mary Palmater of Atlanta. Mr. Bartholomew was man possessing many sterling qualities which endeared him to a host of friends. The funeral was held on Tuesday afternoon from the late home. Burial was made at Lakeview cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 1 April 1898

Naples, N. Y. - Mrs. Ann Bartholomew,
widow of the late Aaron Bartholomew, died at her home in Garlinghouse Saturday, aged 86 years. She was the best known woman in that locality and was greatly beloved, having been there, a mother in Israel for 59 years. She was a sister of the late Judge Wm. Briggs of Penn Yan. Five children, a host of grandchildren and ten great-grandchildren survive her.

From Ontario County Journal 30 May 1919

Allen's Hill, N. Y. -
The death of Mrs. Augusta Clement Bartholomew occurred at the home of her daughter, Mrs. M. H. Bell, on Friday morning, May 23, after an illness since September. She was born in Canandaigua, July 15, 1843, daughter of Isaac and Amy Cobb Clement; was married to Mr. Bartholomew of Naples, Jan. 1862. The greater part of her married life was spent in Bristol. Mr. Bartholomew died in 1876. To this union three children were born, two sons, Frank and Charles, who died when young, and the daughter with whom she had made her home for many years on the farm near Allen's Hill. Mrs. Bartholomew was highly respected in the community; quiet and unassuming, always pleasant, she won true friends and her memory among them is precious and will linger in their hearts forever. She loved her Savior, was a woman of prayer and a constant reader of the Bible. She has entered into her heritage, and thus they go "one by one over the river from when none return." The remains accompanied by relatives were brought from Rochester, and the funeral was held on Sunday afternoon, conducted by Rev. T. S. Alty, who spoke comforting words. Two hymns, "Jesus Lover of My Soul" and "At Rest" were sung. The casket was covered with floral tributes by friends, one a wreath from the Ladies Aid Society here. The body was laid at rest in this pretty cemetery by her request. There survive one daughter, Mrs. Bell; one grandson, Fred M. Bell; one great-grandchild, Thelma Bell; besides nephews and nieces. The bearers were H. S. Ashley, S. T. Garlinghouse, J. R. Green, S. C. Francis, G. W. Deal, G. E. Patterson.

From Geneva Daily Times 18 February 1908

Mrs. Louise Bartholomew,
wife of Bert C. Bartholomew, died this morning at the family residence, No. 6 Burrall avenue. She was 26 years old and besides her husband, she is survived by one son, 2 years old, and her parents, Mr. and Mrs. N. E. Bailey. A prayer will be said at the house tomorrow evening at 7:30 o'clock. The remains will be taken Thursday morning on the 9 o'clock L. V. R. R. train to Van Etten, where the funeral will take place from the Methodist church.

From Ontario County Journal 13 September 1889

Naples, N. Y. - The death of Wm. Bartholomew was sad and excited much sympathy. He was thrown from his wagon two months ago in a runaway and his leg was injured. He suffered a great deal with it, but did not realize its condition until a week ago. Dr. Parker was called in and found the leg rotten. It had evidently been neglected. Dr. Beahan, of Canandaigua, was consulted and amputation was decided upon. On Thursday the operation was performed, but it was too late, and the poor man died Friday morning. The deceased was highly esteemed; was a hard working, honest man; had a large family; was elected town collector last spring. By arduous army service his constitution had been weakened. An immense number of friends attended his funeral at his home in Garlinghouse on Sunday.

From Victor Herald 6 February 1903

Bristol, N. Y. -
Word was received here yesterday of the death of Mrs. Benj. Bartlett. She has been in poor health for some time but was thought to be some better. On Saturday night about midnight, she had a shock and died in a very short time. She is survived by her husband and two children, Mrs. William Simmons and Eugene Symonds. The funeral was held from her late home at Bristol Center on Tuesday at 11 a.m. Burial was made here in the Evergreen cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 4 April 1919

Bristol, N. Y. - 
Friday night, March 31, death claimed one of Bristol's oldest inhabitants, Benjamin Bartlett, in his 88th year. Mr. Bartlett was born in Bristol on December 29, 1831. He married Miss Mary Converse for his first wife and to them was born a son, Fred Bartlett, The mother died when he was a small boy. Later Mr. Bartlett married Mrs. Evaline Phillips Symonds. A daughter, Bell, was born to them but died when eight years old. The second wife has been dead about 25 yrs. The last seven years of Mr. Bartlett's life was spent at the home of his stepdaughter and husband, Mr. and Mrs. Will Simmons, at whose hoe he also passed away, after an illness of about four weeks. The greatest part of his life had been spent in or near Bristol, he having lived about three years in Illinois. Mr. Bartlett had been particularly active for a man of his years, being able to take quite long walks until this winter. He is survived by the son, Fred Bartlett, of Mendon; a stepdaughter, Mrs. Simmons, of Bristol; five grandchildren; two step-grandchildren and 13 grandchildren. He was a respected citizen and was "Grandpa Bartlett" to all the children who knew him. The funeral was held from his late home in Bristol with interment in Evergreen cemetery, Rev. O. F. Alvord officiating. A. J. VanAken had charge of the burial.

From Naples Record 18 November 1896

Mrs. Richard Bartlett
of Bristol, aged 63 years, died of cancerous tumors on Wednesday, Nov. 4. She had formerly been a resident of this town, and was a sister of Mrs. William J. Boals.

From Livonia Gazette 15 January 1915

Honeoye - On Sunday morning occurred the death of William H. Bartlett, at his home in the village. He was born in Bristol seventy-eight years ago, and when but three years of age came to this town, where he had since resided. In 1862 he married Miss Emmeline Persons, who survives him. Besides his wife he leaves one brother, Benjamin Bartlett, of Bristol, who is 83 years old; a daughter, Mrs. John Potter; and a grandson, George Bartlett, both of this place. The funeral was held from the late home on Tuesday, the Rev. George Henshaw officiating. The burial was at Lakeview cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 5 September 1913

The funeral services of Mrs. George H. Bartoo, aged 30 years, whose death occurred on Friday of last week, were held at the Salvation Army barracks on Sunday afternoon. There survive her husband and one son. Interment was in West avenue cemetery.

From Geneva Gazette 31 May 1878

Sudden Death -
On Thursday morning of last week, John Bartram, an aged citizen of Phelps, was found dead in a field where he had been mowing grass.  The deceased was about eighty years old, a native of Germany, and had been in this country about forty years.  Having lived in the town of Phelps about twenty-eight years, he was quite well-known, and is spoken of as a very quiet, honest old man.  On Friday, Coroner Shannon was notified of the unexplained death, and proceeded to hold an inquest. The body, which had been already buried, was disinterred.  The investigation was concluded on Monday, the jury finding that the deceased came to his death from congestion of the lungs, superinduced by a diseased condition of the heart.

Return to Ontario County Homepage

Copyright 2004-16 Ontario County NYGenWeb and each contributor and author of materials herein. All rights reserved.