"A" to "Ak" Obituaries

From Ontario County Journal 17 April 1896

Allen's Hill, N. Y. - Hiram Abbey,
a lifelong resident of this town, died Sunday, April 5, aged 74 years. Funeral services were conducted by Rev. Mr. Orelup of Bristol at the home of his son, Robert. Interment was at Baker Hill cemetery. Mr. Abbey left three children: Benton of this place; Elizabeth of Buffalo; Robert of Bristol.

From Ontario County Times 14 March 1888

Allen's Hill, N. Y. - 
The funeral of Mrs. Hiram Abbey was held at her late home on Saturday, March 10th, Rev. Mr. Searles, of Cheshire, officiating. Interment in the Baker Hill cemetery.

From Niagara Falls Gazette 6 April 1932

Mrs. Jennie Abbey,
67 years old, of Allen Hill, N. Y., died yesterday afternoon in Memorial hospital after a short illness with lobar pneumonia. She had been visiting for the past two months at the home of her son, Benton G. Abbey, who is her only survivor. The body will be sent to Allen Hill tomorrow for burial. 

From Ontario County Journal 10 September 1915

John Jobson Abbey, aged 95 years, passed away at his home on Gorham Street, on Monday. Deceased was one of the oldest citizens of Canandaigua and for many years was a well-known railroad man. There survive a son, John H. Abbey, with whom he resided, and several grandchildren. Rev. Guy L. Morrill officiated at the funeral services on Wednesday. Interment was in West Avenue cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 13 March 1917

Canandaigua, N. Y. -  John Preston Abbey,
aged 73 years, died this morning at 3 o'clock at the home of his daughter, Mrs. P. H. Sisson, at 294 N. Main street. He had been ill with pneumonia since March 1. Mr. Abbey was a city assessor and was well-known through the western part of Ontario county.

From Ontario County Journal 26 February 1909

Honeoye, N. Y. -
Again death has entered the town and another loving wife and mother has been called to eternal rest; another home is sad and desolate because the voice so loved, the heart and hand always ready in joy or sorrow are stilled forever. Mrs. Julia Plimpton Abbey died at her home on Monday after an illness of seven weeks. She was recovering from diphtheria when a complication of diseases arose which baffled medical skill and in her weakened condition she was unable to rally. Julia Plimpton was born in Stockbridge, Mass., 66 years ago and in 1872 she was united in marriage to John P. Abbey of Richmond, and here has been their home, a beautiful farm home about two miles from the village of Honeoye. Two children came of this union, Frank Abbey of Rochester, and Mrs. Philip H. Sisson of Canandaigua, who, with the husband, survive. Mrs. Abbey had been a faithful and active member of the Congregational church for many years and seldom was she absent from Sunday worship, rain or shine. Her work did not end here; in her home, in her neighborhood, in society, this beautiful christian character was ever manifested. Her everyday life was an influence for good. The funeral was held from her late home on Wednesday afternoon with Rev. Dr. Arthur C. Dill officiating. The interment was in Lakeview cemetery. The sympathy of the entire community goes out to the family in their sorrow.

From Livonia Gazette 4 December 1941

Allen's Hill, N. Y. -  Robert Abbey,
76, who had lived in this locality all his life, died unexpectedly Saturday night on the way to Memorial Hospital, Canandaigua. He is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Milton Munson of Centerfield and Mrs. Frank Earing of Canandaigua; three sons, Robert of Lima, Clarence of Canadice, and George of Canandaigua; nineteen grandchildren; and several great-grandchildren. Funeral services were held from the home Tuesday at 2 o'clock, with burial in Evergreen cemetery, Baptist Hill, Bristol.

From Geneva Gazette 3 February 1882

Mrs. Sanford Abbey
died at her residence on Exchange st. Wednesday morning. This is the lady who met with an accident a few weeks ago, falling from the piazza of her residence, the first untoward result of which was a miscarriage. The internal injuries proved so severe as to have at length resulted fatally. Mrs. Abbey was aged only about 20 years.

From Geneva Daily Times 28 April 1930

Mrs. Anna Abbott,
wife of George Abbott, died yesterday morning at the home of her son, Thomas, of 43 West avenue, after a short illness. Besides her husband, she is survived by two sons, Thomas and Samuel, both of Geneva; and one sister, Mary Thomas of Bierut, Syria. The funeral will be held Wednesday morning at 10:30 o'clock at St. Michael's on Geneva street. Interment will be in Glenwood Cemetery.

From Ontario County Times 1 June 1887

Rushville, N. Y. -
Died at her home in Rushville, Emaline Abbott, wife of John W. Abbott, after a lingering illness of consumption, aged 42 years. The funeral service was held from the residence May 30. The deceased leaves behind to mourn her loss a sorrowing husband and five children who deeply mourn the death of their mother.

From Ontario County Journal 9 November 1917

Rushville, N. Y. - John W. Abbott
died at his home here on Monday evening, aged 81 years. Although his health had been failing for many months, he was confined to his bed for only one day. He was born in Cattaraugus county, coming when a young man to Farmington, where he lived two years. While there, he was united in marriage with Miss Emmeline Nichols, of that place. Fifty-two years ago they came to Rushville, where he, as long as his health permitted, followed the trade of tinsmith and became well known in this section. He retired from active labor several years ago and had since remained closely to his home. Since his wife's death, 32 years ago, his home had been kept by his daughters, his younger daughter, Mrs. Edward Rechtenwald, living with him and caring for him at the time of his death. He also leaves another daughter, Mrs. J. H. Wilkin of Rushville and one son, Morey Abbott, of Geneva. The funeral services were held from the residence on Wednesday, Rev. G. L. Pashe, pastor of the Methodist Church, officiating. Burial was in the Rushville cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 19 May 1893

Rushville, N. Y. - Mrs. Garrett Abeel,
who had been ill for some time, died at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. Jerome Eldridge, on Wednesday. She was the grandmother of Mrs. M. E. Furner, the postmistress at this place. Mrs. Abeel had reached the advanced age of 80 years.

From Ontario County Journal 11 May 1917

Rushville, N. Y. -  William Abeel
died suddenly on Tuesday morning at the home of his sister, Miss Elizabeth Abeel, in this village, where he had come the day before to visit. He had not been well for several months, but had been able to attend to work around his farm home, near the village. On the morning of his death, he arose from the breakfast table and walked to the couch, where he passed quietly away a few minutes later. He was born in September 1847, one of six children of Garrett and Katherine Lily Abeel, and had always lived in this community. In young manhood he was married with Miss Margaret Bucklin, of Rushville, who died nine years ago. Of their three children, two daughters are living, Mrs. Frances Phillips, of Chicago, Ill., and Mrs. Emma Parker, of Erie, Pa. An only son, Joseph Abeel, of Rushville, disappeared last summer, after a mental illness. The funeral services were held from his sister's home yesterday afternoon, Rev. G. L. Pasche, pastor of the Methodist church, officiating. Burial was in Rushville cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 14 August 1908

Rushville, N. Y. -  Mrs. William Abeel
was taken suddenly ill on Wednesday of last week, about 5 o'clock in the evening and died at 11 o'clock from heart failure. Mrs. Abeel was 57 years old and had always lived in this vicinity. She was a member of the Tuesday club, the Country club, the Mutual Aid society and missionary societies. The funeral was Saturday afternoon at 3 o'clock, Rev. Harsey King officiating, and the burial was in Rushville cemetery. Mrs. Abeel was a member of long standing of the Methodist church, being an active worker. She was very much beloved by her neighbors, always ready to respond in case of trouble. Her maiden name was Margaret Bucklin. She leaves a husband and three children, Mrs. William Phillips, Chicago; Mrs. F. J. Parker, Erie; Joseph Abeel, Rushville; and two sisters, Mrs. S. S. Banks, Belvidere, Ill., Mrs. Thomas Farley, Cherryville, Ill.; and one brother, William Bucklin, Belvidere. The funeral was largely attended, and all the societies to which she belonged furnished beautiful set pieces of flowers. From Chicago was sent by friends a long spray of white lilies, besides numerous flowers by the immediate neighbors.

From Ontario County Journal 1 February 1907

Dr. Herman J. Abel
died at his home in Honeoye on Wednesday after a lingering illness from pulmonary trouble, aged 37 years. Dr. Abel was a son of Mr. and Mrs. Carl Abel of this village, where his early education was received. He graduated from the Buffalo Medical college and began practicing at Honeoye in 1895. He had a large practice and was held in high esteem throughout the countryside. He leaves his wife, a son, daughter, his parents, a sister, Mrs. Robert Ranney of this village, and three brothers. The funeral will be held this morning at 11 o'clock. He was a member of the Honeoye Congregational church and of Eagle Lodge, F. & A. M.

From Geneva Daily Times 10 May 1907

Canandaigua, N. Y. - Mrs. Sophia Marie Abel, wife of Carl Abel, died at the Memorial Hospital at an early hour yesterday morning after two weeks' illness, aged 63 years. Mrs. Abel was a native of Germany and came here with her husband in 1884. She leaves besides her husband, one daughter, Mrs. Robert J. Ranney, and three sons, Rudolph of Rochester, and Ernest and Carl of this place.

From Clifton Springs Press 1934

Mrs. Mary J. Abenshene
died on Friday at her home near Port Gibson, at the age of 81 years. She leaves one daughter, Mrs. Newell L. Robinson of Newark, a step-daughter and step-son, Miss Cora and Charles Abenshene, with whom she lived; and a niece, Miss Margaret Crozier, who teaches school at New Brunswick, N. J. Burial was made at Phelps.

From Ontario County Journal 26 January 1900

The death of Mrs. Agnes G. Aberle, widow of Christian Aberle, occurred at her home on West avenue in this village at 9 o'clock on Wednesday morning, after an illness of several months' duration. Deceased was born in Veidesheim, Germany, February 22, 1851, and was therefore aged 48 years, 11 months and 28 days. She is survived by her mother and one sister, still residing at the old homestead in Germany; and by eight children, Mrs. William Thaler, W. F. Aberle, Jennie D., Carrie, Agnes, Edward, Howard and Lewis, all living in this village; and by one brother, George Goetz of Rochester. Mrs. Aberle's husband died six years ago. The funeral services will be held from the residence on West avenue at 2:30 o'clock this afternoon, and Rev. C. H. Dickinson will officiate.

From Ontario County Journal 29 June 1894

Christian Aberle,
an old and respected resident of this village, died at his home on West avenue last Thursday evening, after a long and painful illness from cancer of the stomach. He had for years been a carpenter here. He was sixty-three years of age.

From Geneva Daily Times 12 March 1917

John Abraham,
proprietor of the confectionery store, died this morning at 4 o'clock, after a short illness. Mr. Abraham, who came to Geneva a number of years ago, became one of the leaders in his line of business in the city and also a large real estate owner. Several years ago he purchased the Exchange street block where his store is located. He is survived by his wife; two sons, George and Mitchell Abraham, all of this city; and his father and mother; one brother and one sister in Syria.

From Geneva Daily Times 12 October 1931

Mrs. Mary Abraham
died yesterday morning at 11 o'clock at the home of her son, Antonio, 45 Lewis street. Mrs. Abraham was born in Syria and came to this country in 1905. She resided in Utica for twenty-three years and the past eight years in Geneva. She was a member of the St. Michael's Syrian Greek Orthodox church. She leaves a brother residing in Europe; a sister and two sons, Antonio of Geneva and George of Tonawanda. The funeral will be held tomorrow morning at the home, with Fr. Mitchell of Niagara Falls officiating. Burial will be Glenwood Cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 15 September 1944

Mary Celer Abraham
died this morning at her home at 61 Tillman street. Survivors are two sons, James and Michael; one daughter, Mrs. Michael Coleo, all of v; two brothers, Michael Essa of Washington, Pa., and Ernest Essa of Syracuse; one sister, Mrs. Ameen Lewis of Syria; and five grandchildren. Funeral services will be held Monday morning from her late home at 9:30 o'clock and from St. Michaels Greek-Syrian Orthodox Church at 10 o'clock. Rev. Michael P. Massabni will officiate. Burial will be in Glenwood Cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 16 September 1912

Thomas Abraham, Jr.,
aged 32 years, died yesterday morning at 8:30 o'clock at the home of his brother at No. 367 Exchange street. He is survived by his wife and two children in Syria; his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Abraham; and two brothers, John and George of this city. The funeral will take place tomorrow afternoon at 2 o'clock from the Syrian church on Geneva street. Interment will be in Glenwood Cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 11 February 1881

Bristol Springs, N. Y. -
On Friday of last week a respectable number of the citizens of this town and Bristol were present at his late residence to pay their respects to the memory of Mr. Henry Acheson, deceased. Rev. Mr. Dewey, of Bristol, conducted the services, offering an excellent discourse founded upon a portion of the second verse of the fourteenth chapter of John. "In my father's house are many mansions." Mr. Acheson was of Irish birth, and was about 63 years of age. He had been an honest and very industrious citizen, a kind husband, an affectionate and indulgent father and as a neighbor generous to a fault. In the social circle he was genial, lively and hopeful. The blank caused by his departure from this life will not easily be supplied. His third wife mourns him.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 18 December 1938

Canandaigua, N. Y. - Mrs. Mary J. Acheson,
84, a resident of Bristol Center, died here in Canandaigua Health Home Friday night. She was the widow of Walter J. Aceson. Surviving is one daughter, Mrs. John L. Neenan, Milwaukee, Wis.; and two granddaughters, Mrs. Elwood C. Cox, Fairport, and Mrs. Lloyd W. Plieman, Richmond, Wis. Private funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. Tuesday in a local funeral home with burial in Evergreen Cemetery, Bristol.

From Geneva Daily Times 18 June 1934

Mrs. Doris S. Achilles,
wife of Dr. William E. Achilles, died at 4:15 o'clock yesterday afternoon at the family home, 80 Monroe street, after an illness of several months. Besides her husband, she leaves one son, William E., Jr.; her mother Mrs. Anna Wilcox Blanchard; and one sister, Mrs. Cecelia D. Marvin, both of Covington, Pa.; and a brother, William W. Blanchard of Folcroft, Pa. A prayer service will be held Wednesday afternoon at 2 o'clock at the residence and 2:30 o'clock at the First Baptist church with the Rev. Fred T. Drewett of the First Baptist church officiating. Burial will be in Glenwood Cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 5 January 1900

Naples, N. Y. - Charles Emory Ackley,
a veteran soldier, died on Friday, Dec. 29, aged 55 years. He had long been an invalid. He was found at his home unconscious by his wife that evening, and all efforts to restore him were unavailing. He died in a short time. He leaves a wife and two sons and a daughter by his first wife. Bingham Post G. A. R., of which he was a member, had charge of the funeral. The body was taken to the Naples-Italy cemetery for burial.

From Geneva Gazette 28 October 1881

Death of John Ackley -
This well-known citizen died last evening at about half past six o'clock, at his residence on Exchange st. He had been in rather poor health for several months past, occasionally requiring the attendance of a physician, but managing to attend to his large and prosperous saloon business with but temporary interruption for a day or two now and then. Only about a week ago he was taken down with typhoid fever which thus speedily ran its fatal course. Mr. Ackley was a native of Switzerland, and came to this country about eleven years ago, a stranger without relative or acquaintance on this side of the broad Atlantic. Brought up on a dairy farm amid the rugged scenery of the Alps, he intended to follow the same pursuit in this more productive and favored land. He did engage at such service for one or two seasons, his first employer being Mr. W. Scofield, a dairyman. Subsequently, he married Miss Rosa Leutz of the town of Waterloo and soon thereafter settled in the village and embarked in the saloon business, first with Isaac Baumann, and then by himself. For a year past he has been our immediate neighbor, and we learned to like him for his uniform courtesy and genial manners, and to respect him for his scrupulous conformity to law and the rigid terms of his license. His saloon was no place for brawlers and confirmed inebriates - such found there no congenial company. His patrons were among the best business men of Seneca and Exchange sts. and the sturdy farmers of the country around us, with whom pleasant greetings were the prevailing custom. Poor John ! how sudden, scarcely realized as yet, his taking off. His young widow survives him but he leaves no children. It was his intention to pay a visit to "fatherland" the ensuing season, and he talked of it with all the enthusiasm of a child in contemplating a visit "home." Instead of greeting long absent son and brother, parents and kin must be saddened by this message of his sudden and untimely death.

From the Christian Ambassador, Auburn NY, 10 Jul 1858

Death of Rev. Oliver Ackley

It becomes our painful duty to announce the death of our beloved father in the ministry, REV. OLIVER ACKLEY. He departed life in his residence in Orleans, Ontario co., N. Y., on the morning of the 30th ult., aged 70 years. We stated in the Ambassador of the 15th of May that Father Ackley had experienced a severe attack of paralysis, and that his recovery was quite doubtful.  The fears then cherished have proved too well founded.  He lingered for about eight weeks in utter prostration and helplessness, before his spirit took its final flight to its eternal rest.  His mind was materially affected by the blow that shattered his body.  There were brief periods, however, when his intellect would seem to revive to almost natural activity. At these moments, for some time after the commencement of his sickness, while he expressed his belief that he (w)ould recover, at the same time he evinced the utmost resignation to the Divine will…  His faith in the impartial grace of God and the salvation of the world remained firm to the last.  Two or three days before his death, becoming satisfied that his departure was near at hand, he took an affectionate leave of his family, and said to them in the confidence of a serene and well-founded hope, “I shall not die, but shall soon fall asleep!”

Father Ackley as a minister was diffident of his abilities and modest in his aspirations and claims; nevertheless he was an able and very acceptable and profitable preacher.  In prayer, we think we may say, he was unexcelled. We never listened to petitions more ladened with humble reverence, with confidence in the Father’s goodness, with love to God and to all mankind, with a moving, melting pathos, than those which we again and again heard flow from his lips. He sowed the seed of Gospel truth for more than a quarter of a century, in the county of Ontario and the adjoining counties, which has already sprung up to golden harvests, and which is destined yet to yield broader and richer fruits in years to come.

The moral character of the departed was without a stain.  He endeavored to practice himself the precepts he enforced on others.  Although like all dwellers in the flesh, he had his imperfections, yet it is exceedingly rare that anyone, clergyman or layman, succeeds in winning so large a share of the respect and confidence of the community, of all denominations, and in building up a character so high for integrity, honesty, and benevolence, as in his case.

Father Ackley entered the ministry in Madison county, some forty years since. His conversion and consecration to the work of the Gospel were among the fruits of a general revival which took place among the Universalists in Madison county in the year 1817.  In the Memoirs of Rev. Nathaniel Stacy (P. 302) we find a paragraph in relation to the deceased. Speaking of the revival to which we have above alluded, Father Stacy says:-
Mr. Ackley was quite a youth when I removed to Hamilton, and usually attended my meetings; but made no pretentions to religion until the time of this revival: he, too, was an early convert, and one of the first individuals who had received baptism by immersion.  He had an uncommon talent of natural eloquence, and improved it successfully in our conferences.  At length he was invited and urgently requested to hold meetings abroad in the neighboring towns, which after repeated solicitations, together with my influence, he with great modesty and manifest reluctance consented to do.  And so edifying were his improvements, so confident were the people of his great usefulness as a preacher of the everlasting Gospel, the he was persuaded, eventually, to take upon himself the solemn responsibilities of an evangelist.  And how well he has sustained the dignity and the sacredness of that high and holy vocation, I need not say; for he is well and extensively known to the denomination as a devoted Christian, and an able advocate for the truth, and enjoys the undivided confidence of his acquaintance, and is greatly beloved by all who know him.
The funeral of Br. Ackley took place in the Baptist church in Orleans on Thursday afternoon, the 1st inst. Providentially Father Stacy, the early friend and instructor of the deceased, was visiting his daughter in Geneva, who is the wife of John Ackley, Esq., a son of the departed father in Israel.  Br. Stacy officiated at the funeral, and gave a very interesting and moving discourse from 2 Cor.:1.  He was assisted in the services by Brs. A[sa] Saxe and J[ohn] M. Austin, and also by the pastor of the Baptist church in Orleans.  A large audience crowded the church in every part, and their fixed attention and tearful eyes bore striking evidence of the affection they bore for the memory of the departed servant of Christ.

We have received a brief biography of the deceased from the pen of Rev. N. Stacy. It was too late for this week, but it shall appear in our next.

Death of Rev. Oliver Ackley

From the Christian Ambassador, Auburn NY, 17 Jul 1858

Departed this life on the morning of the 30th ult., at 3 o'clock, at his residence in the village of Orleans, Ontario co., N. Y., Rev. O. Ackley, in the 70th year of his age.  Between seven and eight weeks since, he arose one morning apparently out of the usual state of his health; but having some business abroad, in accordance with his habits of industry and his benevolent perseverance in the discharge of every duty to his family and society, and contrary to the earnest remonstrance of his wife, he harnessed his horse and drove to the appointed place.  His physical condition was immediately discovered—he was seized with a paralysis which gradually rendered his left limbs wholly helpless, in a moderate degree affected his speech, and apparently produced an intellectual stupor, but by no means depriving him of reason.  In this condition he was conveyed home, and placed upon his bed from which he never afterwards arose!  Everything was done for his relief that the skill of the physician, conjugal affection, and filial piety could suggest, and that his numerous sympathizing friends could perform; all of which was evidently appreciated by him, and very thankfully received but all proved of no avail to arrest that sentence against mortal man—“Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.”  The writer of this, though for many years residing in a distant part of the country, in the State of Pennsylvania, was providentially thrown in this section a few weeks after the attack, and enjoyed the privilege of visiting him several times.  I found him suffering very considerably, but patient and resigned—his faith lively and his hope strong. Although from my imperfection of hearing I could not understand all he wished to say, yet there were seasons when his voice was sufficiently strong for me to hear, and he could always give me the assurance of his faith, hope, charity, and patient resignation. I remarked that he could adopt the language of the Apostle—“I have fought a good fight; I have finished my course; I have kept the faith; henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness.” He shook his head, but remarked, or gave me to understand, that he could “wait all the days of his appointed time, till his change came.”

A little before his departure he took an affectionate leave of his family, and the time soon arrived when He who holds the keys of death unlocked the prison door and bade the freed spirit rise to the enjoyment of immortal life.

His funeral obsequies were attended Thursday, July 1st.  The services were performed in the Baptist church in the village. The writer, Br. J[ohn] M. Austin, Br. A[sa] Saxe, and Rev. Mr. Wader, pastor of the Baptist church, were present, and each took part in the solemnization of the occasion.  The house was crowded to its fullest capacity, and the deep interest manifested, the profound and solemn attention given by the crowded audience bore ample testimony to their respect for the deceased and their sympathy with the bereaved family.

Brief Biographical Sketch

Mr. Ackley, it appears by record, was born in the State of Connecticut, in January 1789. At an early day his father removed from that State into Hamilton, Madison Co., N. Y., where Oliver grew up to manhood, and where he received all the literary education he ever obtained.  The country was new.  No laws existed in the State of New York for the establishment and regulation of common schools, and no literary institution was then established in that section of the country. But such was his industry and perseverance, that before his majority he obtained a sufficient education to become a common school teacher.  And such was the integrity of his character, and his known qualifications for the transaction of business, that he was chosen to civil office in society, and promoted to military office in society, and he served a short campaign as a military officer in the service of his country at Sackett’s Harbor, in the fall of 1814.]

In June, 1805, I first visited that section of country and commenced preaching in Hamilton. And on that or the following year at farthest, I noticed Oliver Ackley, then a young man in his minority, a very constant attendant at my meetings. I marked his serious attention and the manifestly deep interest he felt in the doctrine of God’s Universal grace. God had given him an understanding to receive and a heart to feel and appreciate the glorious truths of the Gospel. I soon formed a familiar acquaintance with him, and a bond of sympathy and union was soon contracted which never knew intermission nor abatement until the shaft of death has separated us for a short season.  I was called to solemnize his marriage with his first wife [Polly Gardner]—an excellent woman, with whom he happily lived until she was removed from him by the messenger of death, about seven years ago, and raised a large family of very respectable children, most of whom survive, and have had the melancholy pleasure of seeing a beloved father finish his course with joy, and beholding his mortal remains deposited in their last resting place.

Although Mr. Ackley’s understanding was thoroughly convinced of the truth of the doctrine, and he gave his support and all his influence to its propagation, his heart was never imbued with its living spirit until the extraordinary awakening in our Society and vicinity in the year 1817—a circumstantial account of which may be found in the Memoirs of my Life… He now made a public profession, received baptism under my hand, and united with the church.

He had a natural talent for public speaking, and he was faithful to improve it at our Conferences, and was soon solicited to visit different neighborhoods and adjacent towns, and hold meetings; and he was soon under regular engagements. I have no data at hand by which I can determine the date of his letter of fellowship, but it was probably about 1819. And shortly afterwards, a meeting and a council were called in the town of Eaton, Madison co., where he was employing part of his time, for his ordination; and if memory well serves me, Br. S[tephen] R. Smith preached on the occasion.

Mr. Ackley continued to itinerate and preach in that section of country with universal acceptance and great success, until somewhere around the year 1825, when he removed his family into what we then called the Genesee country, and settled for a season in the town of Hopewell.  Since that time he has traveled much in Western N. Y., and zealously, faithfully and successfully devoted his time and talents to the promulgation of that truth which constituted the ground of his hope, the sun of his life and the joy of his soul, until the infirmities of age admonished him to moderate his zeal, and circumscribe the field of his labor to narrower limits.

But his benevolent soul has forbidden him to be indifferent to the needs of humanity—the sufferings of the poor, the groans of the sick and distressed, the tears of the bereaved and afflicted, have always excited his warmest sympathy. He has ever been the uniform friend of the indigent, the sympathizing companion of the sick bed, and the comforter of the mourner; and he has continued to hold himself in readiness to attend the calls of the suffering within the compass of his ability, either to administer material aid or spiritual consolation.  He has been, for many years, extensively known in this section of the country; and his humility, his honesty and integrity, his benevolence and charity have become almost proverbial.  He has conspicuously illustrated the practical influence of the religion he professed in his daily life and conversation.

After the departure of his first wife, and remaining in widowed loneliness for a few years, he married a second wife; and she has truly proved a companion in faith, in hope, in zeal—a partner of his cares, his labors, his joys and his sorrows.  She married him with all the tenderness of conjugal affection, bathed his fevered brow, smoothed his pillow, and cheered and comforted him to the close of his passage to his final goal.

It is the second time she has been left in widowhood, but she is not without a stay and a comforter. She enjoys the presence of that God who has promised to be the husband of the widow.  May God sanctify this bereavement, and fit and prepare her for all her further duties and trials of life.

N[athaniel] Stacy
Geneva, July 2d.

This contribution was kindly donated by Karen Dau, Rochester NY
Archivist, NY State Convention of Universalists

From Christian Ambassador, Auburn NY, Sat. 21 Jun 1851

Ackley, Polly Gardner

DEATHS  In Manchester, N.Y., on the 1st inst., of neuralgia, POLLY, wife of Rev. Oliver Ackley, in the 61st year of her age.  Her funeral was attended on the 4th, and a discourse delivered in the Methodist church at Clifton Springs, by the writer hereof, to a large congregation of sympathizing friends.  The death of Mrs. A. will make an aching void in many hearts.  Her circumstances in life had been of that nature as to assure a large circle of friends and acquaintances, and by all she was esteemed as one of the best of women.  As a wife, she was confiding and faithful; as a mother, most devoted and affectionate; as a friend and neighbor, kind and charitable; as a christian, sincere; as a companion, social, cheerful and happy.  In her appearance she was dignified, though not haughty; as a lady, graceful and easy in her manners.  When duty called, her ever busy hands were turned to all the various forms of industry.  It may be said in truth, that her life has been one of care, of responsibility, and usefulness.  The office of a clergyman in moderate circumstances, never lessens the cares and duties of the wife and mother; but it not unfrequently [infrequently] adds embarrassment and labor.  They are liable to be called upon by friends at any hour of the day, late on Saturday night, or early on Monday morning, and the domestic duties of the family must be put aside, and the company received, however unprepared the minister’s wife may be to entertain travelers.  Few have sustained the trials of a clergyman’s wife with more dignity, or honor to themselves, or given better satisfaction to those interested, than the deceased, and few have exercised more patience and fortitude, or maintained a broader charity.  For the past few years, she had suffered much from sickness.  But that suffering is now at an end.  She has gone to rest in peace.  May all who are afflicted by this dispensation of Divine Providence be comforted by the Gospel of Christ.

S. W. R. [Seth Williston Remington]

This contribution was kindly donated by Karen Dau, Rochester NY
Archivist, NY State Convention of Universalists

From Livonia Gazette 21 July 1911

Mr. Alden Adams,
whose death was necessarily only briefly referred to in the Gazette of last week, was born in the town of Richmond seventy years ago. He was the son of Alden Adams and Lorena E. Short Adams, and was one of a family of seven children. His early life was spent in that town, and forty-two years ago he moved to the farm that has since been his home. Mr. Adams was twice married; his first wife was Helen Adams, whom he married in October, 1867. Two years ago he married Miss Emma Baker, who survives him. Besides his widow, he is survived by one daughter, Mrs. D. E. Locke of this village; one brother, Hiram Adams; and three sisters, Mrs. George Ashley and Mrs. C. F. Ashley of Richmond and Mrs. P. A. Franklin of Honeoye. His brother, Noah Adams, died but a few months ago.

Evangelical Magazine & Gospel Advocate, Utica NY, Fri. 7 Apr 1848
[a Universalist newspaper]

Adams, Aldin and Mary

DEATHS.  In Richmond, Ontario county, Feb. 23d, at the house of his son, Mr. ALDIN ADAMS, in his 83d year.  Also, in the same place, March 7th, Mrs. MARY ADAMS, consort of Aldin Adams, in her 90th year.  The funeral of the former was attended at his late residence on Friday the 25th ult.,and the latter just two weeks from that day, March 10th; and discourses were preached by Rev. O. Roberts to a numerous group of surviving relatives and neighbors.  These aged parents had long professed the doctrine of Universalism and adorned their profession, thereby endearing themselves to a numerous family of children, and all their neighbors, through a long life.  Everlasting peace be unto them, and all their surviving kindred.

O. R. [Orrin Roberts]

This contribution was kindly donated by Karen Dau, Rochester NY
Archivist, NY State Convention of Universalists

From Ontario County Journal 18 June 1886

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - Mrs. Allie Adams
died last Tuesday morning, aged 26. Deceased leaves beside her husband and two children, a large circle of relatives and friends to mourn her loss. Funeral services were held Wednesday afternoon at five o'clock.

From Ontario County Journal 16 April 1880

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - Mr. Alvin Adams
died last Monday at the residence of his son-in-law, Mr. L. Andrews, of West Bloomfield, aged 84 years. His remains were brought to this place for interment Wednesday afternoon.

From Victor Herald 2 November 1900

News was received here, Wednesday, of the death, at his home in Canandaigua, of Ansel L. Adams, a recent resident of this town. The announcement was a great shock and surprise to Mr. Adam's many friends for, while it was known that he was by no means rugged or good health, his death was entirely unexpected. Only a few days ago he was upon our streets greeting old friends with his accustomed geniality and Victor people visiting Canandaigua, recently, have been pleased to greet their former townsman as he stood near the depot, perhaps on the watch for them. Ansel L. Adams was born in Connecticut in 1825, and celebrated his seventy-fifth birthday last August. When quite young he moved to Rochester and thence to Ohio. For many years he was employed on various railroads, a part of the time as baggageman between Buffalo and Chicago and also as express messenger between New York and Buffalo. About thirty-nine years ago he came to Victor and purchased a farm upon which he resided until last April, when he moved to Canandaigua. He was a cabinet-maker by trade but had not worked at it for many years. Mr. Adams married three times, the last wife dying about nine years ago. Two children were born from the last marriage; one a son, who died at an early age and the other a daughter, Cora, who has cared for her father in his declining years.

Bright's disease, which affected the heart, was the cause of death. The funeral is to be held this afternoon and interment will be had in Woodlawn Cemetery, Canandaigua. The services are to be under the auspices of Milnor Lodge, F. & A. M., of this village, of which Mr. Adams was a member. Besides the daughter, Mr. Adams leaves two brothers, Myron O. of Adams Basin and George H. of Canandaigua; and three sisters, Mrs. Hannah Horton of Honeoye Falls, Mrs. Henry Bement and Mrs. Andrew Lane, of this village.

From Ontario County Journal 5 January 1912

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - 
The funeral of Arthur T. Adams was held from the family home Wednesday afternoon, being conducted by Rev. W. D. Robinson and burial was made in the village cemetery. Mr. Adams was a man loved and esteemed by the entire community and his sudden death Sunday morning from heart trouble came as a shock to his many friends, even though he had not been well for some time. Mr. Adams was born at Adams Basin, July 29, 1838, and came to this town to live with his brother, Edson, in 1852. In 1866 he married Miss Laura A. Parmele, who survives. He is also survived by one daughter, Miss Nellie B. Adams, of this town; one son, W. B. Adams of Canandaigua; and a grandson, Harry Adams, also of Canandaigua. Mr. Adams sang in choirs here for more than 50 years and was a member of the male quartet with whom he sang the last time a year ago Memorial day. He sang hymns only a week before his death with the same strength and beauty he always had.

From Ontario County Journal 2 April 1897

East Bloomfield, N. Y. -  Benjamin Franklin Adams,
a prominent farmer of this place, died shortly after midnight on Tuesday morning, at the age of 73 years. Mr. Adams had been ailing for some months, but, while his friends were anxious as to the condition of his health, few thought that he was in any imminent danger, and the end came suddenly. Mr. Adams died as many would wish to die, when the time came, he lay down and went to sleep. He was born in the town of Richmond, Sep. 19, 1823. At the age of 20 years, he removed to this town and entered the store of Porter & Hough, where he was employed as clerk for seven years. In 1851, he formed a partnership in the brick store with Isaac Mitchell, which business he continued for about two years. At the retirement of Mr. Mitchell, he formed a partnership with Frederick Munson, remaining until the year 1855, when he purchased the farm of L. S. Beach, where he lived until the time of his death. Mr. Adams life had been a happy one, and there are few men in the community to whom the ties of the family were more dear. In 1853, Mr. Adams was united in marriage to Lucinda Gauss; to them have been born five children: Mrs. Darwin Gibbs of Litchfield, Mich.; Mrs. E. L. Pardee of New York city; Mrs. Charles Stoddard of Ft. Wayne, Ind.; Mrs. Heber E. Wheeler of East Bloomfield; one son, Frank M. Adams, who resides on the farm; and two brothers, James B. Adams of Geneseo; and S. M. Adams of Hillsdale, Mich. Mr. Adams' second marriage was in 1874, to Miss Helen Pardee Seymour, who survives him. His former wife died in 1872. The funeral services were held at his late residence on Thursday afternoon at 2 o'clock, and were largely attended by people from all parts of the town to pay their last respects to the deceased. The Rev. M. Luther Stimson, pastor of the Congregational church, officiated.

From Ontario County Times 17 January 1872

Shortsville, N. Y. - Mrs. Carrie Adams,
wife of J. T. Adams, died at her father's residence in Littleville, on New Year's morning. She was a loved and respected member of our community, and the whole village feel her loss deeply. Mr. Adams possesses the sympathy of all who knew her, and is not alone in mourning her early death. She was a true and earnest christian, and it is a consoling thought to us to know that, though she has left us to pursue life's journey, she commenced, with the new year, a brighter, happier and more blissful existence in the home prepared for God's children beyond the river of death.

From Ontario Repository Messenger 29 May 1890

Canadice, N. Y. - Mrs Charlotte Adams
died May 14th. Her funeral was held at the church, Friday, the 16th. Mrs. Adams, as will be remembered, fell a few weeks ago and broke her hip. She leaves three daughters, Mrs. Birdseye Burch, with whom she has always lived, and two in the West, one in California and one in Michigan; the latter was here to help care for her. Mrs. Adams was 86 years old, and up to her last sickness was as busy and active as ever, and her mental powers were remarkably strong. She had been a member of the Methodist Church for years.

From Naples Record 1 June 1899

Canadice, N. Y. -  Mrs. Charlotte Adams,
a lifelong resident of this town, departed this life on Saturday, the 27th inst. Besides a large circle of friends, she leaves two daughters, two sisters and two brothers to mourn their loss.

From Ontario County Journal 2 December 1910

Word was received here on Wednesday of the sudden death of Mrs. Charlotte Lapham Adams at Lakewood, N. J. where she was spending the winter, aged 65 years. The deceased is survived by two sons, Lewis H., of Canaan, and Elbridge L., of New York City; one sister, Mrs. A. B. Field of San Francisco, Cal.; and two brothers, Henry W. Lapham of Naples, and E. Gerry Lapham of Rochester. The body will be brought to her late home on Howell street this morning. The funeral will be held from St. John's church at 3 o'clock this afternoon, Rev. Herbert L. Gaylord officiating. Interment will be at Woodlawn.

From Geneva Daily Times 9 January 1908

The death of Corwin L. Adams of this city occurred last evening at the family residence, 141 Washington street, after an illness of two weeks, at the age of 60 years. Mr. Adams was the youngest son of the late Rodney L. Adams, formerly owner and publisher of the Geneva Courier. He was at one time editor and publisher of the Trumansburg Sentinel. He returned to Geneva in 1898 where he has since resided. He is survived by his widow, one daughter, Carrie J. Adams, one son, Rodney B. Adams, and one brother, Oliver S. Adams of Rochester. Burial Washington Street Cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 9 October 1924

Mrs. Elizabeth Adams,
aged 42 years, died this morning at the Geneva City Hospital after an illness of five months. She is survived by her husband, George Adams of 263 Lake street; three sons, John, George and Andrew Adams; six daughters, Jane, Elizabeth, Agnes, Isabel, Mary and Margaret Adams, all at home. The funeral will be held Saturday morning at 9:30 o'clock at the chapel in Glenwood Cemetery. Rev. Alexander Thompson of the North Presbyterian church will officiate. Interment will be in Glenwood Cemetery.

From Victor Herald 5 September 1902

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - Mrs. Francis Sophia Adams,
widow of the late Gaius Adams, and one of our oldest residents, died Sunday evening, after a long illness, at the age of eighty-seven years and six months. She is survived by two sisters, Mrs. O. R. Wilmarth, of Ludington, Mich., and Mrs. Edward Brown of Pembroke, N. Y. Funeral service were held at her late home Tuesday forenoon, Rev. W. D. Robinson officiating.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 30 September 1938

Geneva, N. Y. - Frank Latimer Adams,
76, died yesterday in his home, 12 Genesee St., after a long illness. Surviving are his widow, Mrs. Hattie Adams; one daughter, Mrs. Pauline Deitz, Farmingdale, L. I.; one brother, Charles Adams, East Bloomfield; one sister, Mrs. Julia Babcock, Middletown, Conn.; and and several nieces and nephews. Funeral services will be held privately in the late home at 2 p.m. tomorrow. Burial will be in East Bloomfield.

From Canandaigua Chronicle 28 August 1907

Victor, N. Y. - 
This community was saddened on Wednesday to learn of the death of Mrs. Freeman E. Adams, which occurred at an early hour that morning, at her home two miles southeast of this village. Pernicious anemia was the cause of death. she was born in this town 60 years ago. She is survived by her husband and four daughters: the Misses Viola, Florence, and Anna, of this town, and Mrs. Leona Adams Hornberger, Phoenix, Arizona. One sister also survives, Mrs. Martin Snyder, who resides west of this village, but is now with her husband in Washington state on an extended Western trip. Owing to the telegraph operators' strike it was impossible to get a message through to the daughter at Phoenix, and she could not be notified until after the funeral. Mrs. Adams joined the Presbyterian church in 1880 and was always, while her health permitted, a faithful attendant. She was an earnest Christian woman, lovable and kind of nature and possessed many sincere friends. The funeral was held at the home on Friday afternoon at 2 o'clock and burial was in the Boughton Hill Cemetery. Rev. Frank W. Hill of the  Presbyterian church officiated.

From Ontario County Journal 18 August 1876

Mr. Gabriel Adams
of Canadice met with a severe accident a few days since.  He was in his barn pitching hay with a horse fork, and when the fork was directly over his head, the chain broke and the fork dropped upon him, one of the tines entering his head and penetrating to the brain.  There was but little hope at the time that his life could be saved, but at a later date there was thought to be a possibility of recovery.  By a line from a friend in Canadice we learn that Mr. Adams died from his injuries on the 7th inst.

From Ontario County Journal 29 October 1875

Died -
In Victor, Oct. 20th, 1875, Geo. A. Adams, aged 73 years.  Another pioneer has passed away; one by one they are falling. Mr. Adams was born in Barkhemsted, Conn., Jan. 4, 1802.  From Barkhemsted he emigrated to Western New York, near the vicinity of Rochester.  He has been a resident of this town about 26 years.  His occupation was that of a farmer while living here. Until within the last few years, he owned one of the best farms in this township, but as old age advanced he sold his farm and moved near the village.  He was a good citizen and a kind neighbor.  In politics he was a democrat.  His health has been failing slowly for the past year and for the last four weeks he has been confined to his house. The funeral was held at the M. E. Church on Friday the 22d inst. He was followed to his grave by a large concourse of friends and relatives, who thus testified to the love they bore him.

From Ontario County Journal 29 October 1915

The double funeral of Mr. and Mrs. George H. Adams will be held at their home, Macedon road, this afternoon at 2:30 o'clock. Both had been ill for some time and Mr. Adams' death occurred 24 hours after his wife, who passed away on Monday night. Mr. Adams was 79 and Mrs. Adams was 74 years of age. There survives one daughter, Mrs. William Wass, of Canandaigua. Interment will be at Woodlawn.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 4 June 1938

Death yesterday removed one of the most familiar figures in this city. He was George Washington Adams, 90, a resident of Gibson street, who died in the home of his son, Charles F. Adams, after a brief illness. Well over six feet in height, Adams was generally known as "Shorty." He was born in Yates County, the son of Cyrus and Lucretia Adams and came to Canandaigua in 1877 where he had since resided. Surviving are the son, eight grandchildren, eight great-grandchildren and two great-great-grandchildren. Funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. Monday in the home, with burial in Woodlawn Cemetery.

From Geneva Gazette 15 October 1875

A very sudden death occurred early Tuesday morning on Colt street.  Deceased is Mrs. H. E. Adams, wife of the sexton of the M. E. Church.  About half-past three A. M., she awakened her husband, complaining of faintness and weakness of respiration.  At her suggestion he called in two neighbor ladies and then hurried for and returned with a physician.  The latter at once pronounced the patient in a dying condition, and in a few moments she breathed her last.  For some weeks past Mrs. Adams had complained of pain in the spinal column below her neck, and consulted two physicians in regard thereto. Independently of the diagnosis of each other, both pronounced her affected with congestion of the spine which threatened to reach and produce apoplexy of the heart.  Such therefore is believed to be the cause of her sudden death.  Deceased is a native of Wolcott, aged 42 years, and second wife of Mr. Adams.  She was an attendant and devout member of the M. E. Church, and zealously devoted to the temperance cause -- in her humble way doing all in her power to advance the precepts of Christianity and reform.  Though death came suddenly "as a thief in the night," it is believed the grim visitor found her not wholly unprepared.

From Ontario County Chronicle 10 October 1900

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - The death of Helen Pardee Adams occurred last week Tuesday at the residence of Heber E. Wheeler. She was born in Sharon, Conn., February 26, 1829. Some years after the family moved here and she had lived here ever since. She was married to Charles Seymour June 5, 1855. Mr. Seymour died in 1876. Later she was married to B. F. Adams, who died March 29, 1897. She is survived by four brothers and two sisters, Frederick Pardee of California; Walter of New York; Albert of Palmyra, N. Y.; Dr. E. L. Pardee of this town, and Mrs. James Boughton, of Battle Creek, Mich., and Mrs. Enos Pomeroy, of Ann Arbor, Mich. The funeral services were held Thursday afternoon at 2 o'clock.

From Ontario County Journal 8 March 1912

Honeoye, N. Y. -  Hiram D. Adams,
a well-known farmer, who lived two miles northwest of this village, died on Sunday morning, after a lingering illness, aged 79 years. Mr. Adams was the son of Alden A. Adams and Lorena Short Adams, and was born on June 24, 1833, on part of the farm where he died. He was one of nine children, seven of whom lived to grow up. On January 7, 1862, he married Miss Almira Adams of Middlesex, and they made their home on the south part of the Alden A. Adams farm. Three children were born to them. Mrs. Adams died March 15, 1880. Mr. Adams married Mrs. Mary M. Adams November 8, 1882, and one daughter was born to them. Mr. Adams' grandparents came from Vermont in 1804 and settled near Richmond Center. He was a member of the Prohibition party and for years cast the only Prohibition vote in the town of Richmond. He believed in preserving the forests and had a forest growing on his farm of oak and black walnut that he had started from the seed. He was a successful breeder of Merino sheep and a fruit grower. Mr. Adams was the oldest of three brothers. These brothers always lived within a few miles of each other and have all died within the last eight months. He leaves, besides his wife, three daughters, Mrs. Daniel Merrill of Lima, Miss Almira Adams of this place, and Mrs. Orin Owen of Savona; one son, Earl D. Adams, of this place; three sisters, Mrs. Deborah A. Ashley, Mrs. Marie R. Ashley and Mrs. lemon O. Hopkins, all of this place; and three grandchildren. The funeral was from the family residence on Wednesday, the Rev. Mr. Swarthout of the Baptist church in Lima officiating. Burial was in Lake View cemetery.

From Phelps Citizen 12 August 1920

Horace W.,
son of the late Winfield Scott and Eloisa Miller Adams, died suddenly on Friday night at the home of his son, Fred Adams, south of this village, aged 66 years. Mr. Adams had been operating a grain binder for a neighbor during the day, and late in the afternoon complained of not feeling well. He was taken to the home of his son where he expired two hours later. The cause of death was ascribed to heart trouble. Mr. Adams was born at Augusta, Oneida county, on February 2, 1854, and for the past 49 years he had been a resident of Phelps, where he was engaged in farming. The family home for some years has been on South Wayne street. He was a member of the local Presbyterian church. Besides his wife, Clementine Brown Adams, he is survived by five daughters and six sons, Mrs. George Richmond, Mrs. Harold Harland, Miss Celia Adams, Albert, Seymour, Arthur, Lester and Fred Adams, all of Phelps; Mrs. Edward Richmond and Mrs. Clarence Dyer of Honeoye Falls, and Miller Adams of Hamilton, Canada; besides 22 grandchildren. The funeral services were held at his late home on Tuesday afternoon, the Rev. W. H. York of Waterloo officiating, and interment was in Rest Haven.

From Geneva Daily Times 4 January 1908

Clifton Springs, N. Y. - At the home of her daughter, Mrs. Nat. Squier, on Kendall street in this village, occurred the death of Mrs. Jane A. Adams, on Thursday evening. Mrs. Adams was born in the town of Benton, Yates county, and was seventy-six years old. She has been a resident of this village off and on, for the past three years. Mrs. Adams is survived by her daughter, Mrs. Squier of Clifton Springs, and three sons, Isaac M. Adams, Edward S. Adams and David D. Adams, of Penn Yan. The funeral services will be held at the home of Mrs. Squier on Monday morning and the remains will be taken to Penn Yan for burial, where services will be held at the grave.

From Ontario County Chronicle 28 January 1903

Mrs. Jessie D. Adams
died at the home of her sister, Mrs. Crofut, Upper Main street, Saturday, aged 51 years. Death was due to a complication of diseases. The funeral was held from her late home Monday afternoon.

From Ontario County Journal 5 December 1884

East Bloomfield, N. Y. - Mr. John Adams
died at the residence of his son, A. T. Adams, Wednesday morning, aged 90 years, 1 month and 14 days. He came to this town 89 years ago from Massachusetts with his parents; was a pensioner of the war of 1812. Funeral services will be held Friday at 1:30 p.m., at the residence of A. T. Adams.

From Shortsville Enterprise 21 October 1915

The death of John Quincy Adams, one of the best-known farmers in Manchester township, occurred at his home, northeast of this place, last Friday morning. His age was 73 years. John Quincy Adams was born on August 27, 1842, in the township of Manchester and his entire life had been spent therein. He was a son of the late Charles and Phoebe Tibbitts Adams. His grandfather was one of the original settlers of the township. He was married on December 23, 1868, to Miss Ella Lawrence of Manchester, by the Rev. Benjamin Swyck, also of Manchester. He was formerly a school teacher, having taught in the townships of Manchester, Hopewell and Farmington. He joined the Baptist church at Manchester 44 years ago and was one of the oldest living members. For more than 30 years he was a deacon in this church. He was also a member of Manchester Grange and for 10 years was its chaplain. The survivors are his wife; three daughters, Mrs. Elsie Pentz of DuBois, Pa.; Mrs. Jennie Olick of Rome, N. Y., and Mrs. Charles Sweet of Manchester; five grandchildren, two great-grandchildren, a brother, Henry T. Adams of Montana, and a cousin, Adelbert Adams of Farmington. The funeral services were held from his late home on the Howland road on Sunday afternoon at 1:30 o'clock and from the Manchester Baptist church at 2:30 o'clock, conducted by the Rev. W. D. St. John, pastor of the church. The bearers were Henry Howland, A. J. Latting, George Warner, John Dewey, Roy Macumber and C. G. McLouth. The interment was made in Brookside Cemetery in this place.

From Ontario County Journal 28 June 1912

The sudden death of Mrs. Lester Adams, aged 72 years, occurred at her home on Gorham street at 10 o'clock on Wednesday night. Mrs. Adams was stricken with apoplexy at the entrance to her home about 9 o'clock, after attending prayer meeting in the Methodist church. Mr. Adams, hearing the noise caused by her fall, rushed out to find his wife prostrate on the porch. She never regained consciousness. Mrs. Adams was born on a farm near Rushville and practically all her life was spent in this vicinity. She had spent many winters recently in Southern Pines, N. C. Though in poor health for many months, she was active for one of her years and was greatly interested in church work. She was a member of the Methodist church and the Woman's Christian Temperance union. Besides her husband, she leaves one son, Fred C. Hawley, by a former marriage; and a sister, Mrs. Charles Ferguson of Rushville. The funeral services will be held at the home this afternoon at 4 o'clock. Rev. Dewitt S. Hooker will officiate. Interment will be at Woodlawn.

From Ontario County Journal 4 June 1909

East Bloomfield, N. Y. -
The death of Mrs. Mariette McKinney Adams, widow of Edson Adams, occurred at her home in this village on Friday morning, May 28. Mrs. Adams, who was 83 years of age at the time of her death, was for 60 years a resident of this town. She was a member, and, as long as health permitted, a regular attendant of the Congregational church. Since her husband's death 17 years ago, she had been gradually failing in health and had for the past nine weeks been confined to her bed. Mrs. Adams is survived by one daughter, Mrs. W. E. Babcock, of Middletown, Conn.; three sons, Charles of Mt. Morris, John of Morency, Mich., and Frank Adams of Gorham, and one grandson, William E. Adams, of this place. The funeral which was private was held from the late residence on Sunday afternoon, Rev. W. D. Robinson officiating.

From Geneva Daily Times 12 October 1909

Mrs. Mary E. Adams,
widow of the late Corwin L. Adams, died this morning at 8:30 o'clock at the family residence, No. 141 Washington street. Her death comes as a shock for she was ill but a short time. Although she had not been in her usual health, she was not confined to the house and was out yesterday. This morning about 5 o'clock she was taken seriously ill and rapidly grew worse until the end. She was 61 years old, was born in Canandaigua; but with the exception of a few years, she had resided in this city almost her entire life. She was an active worker in the First Presbyterian church and was a member of the Woman's Bible Class. She leaves one daughter, Miss Carrie J. Adams; one son, Rodney B. Adams; one brother, Joseph C. Burrill, and one sister, Mrs. S. Friedlander of Minneapolis, Minn., who has been visiting her sister for the past two weeks. The funeral will take place Friday afternoon at 3 o'clock from the house. Rev. W. W. Weller, pastor of the First Presbyterian church will officiate and interment will be in Washington Street Cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 12 April 1918

The death of Mrs. Mary P. Adams, aged 74 years, occurred at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Olin W. Owens, in Honeoye, on Friday, following a long illness. There survive two daughters and three sons, Mrs. Owens, of Honeoye; Miss Lizette Price and Waldo Price of Canandaigua town; Louis T. Price, of Cripple Creek, Colo., and A. B. Price of Rochester; a sister, Mrs. H. T. Outhouse, and a brother, J. A. McJannett, both of Canandaigua town. The funeral services were held at the home of Mrs. Owen on Sunday. Interment was in Woodlawn.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 30 October 1934

Orrin Adams
entered into rest at his home in Victor, Oct. 29. He is survived by his wife, one son, Russell O.; one daughter, Mrs. Lucille (can't read) of Victor; one sister, Mrs. Cameron McLean of Fishers; four granddaughters. Services from the home Wednesday at 2:30 p.m. Interment in Boughton Hill cemetery.

From Ontario County Times 29 June 1864

We are pained to hear that Lieut. Oscar M. Adams, of Co. K, 148th Regiment, N. Y. S. V., who was mentioned in a former issued of this paper, has since died. His wounds were not at first considered dangerous, and his friends were in no degree prepared to hear that they had proved fatal. Indeed, the last that was heard from him prior to the receipt of the telegraphic dispatch announcing his death was to the effect that he was able to walk about the Hospital, and would soon be well again. Lieut. Adams, before entering the military service, was a resident of East Bloomfield. He was a young man of excellent character, highly respected among his many townsmen, and in the army earned for himself the reputation of a brave and accomplished officer, while his ardent patriotism and genial disposition earned him the warm friendship of all with whom he was associated.

From Ontario County Journal 9 September 1900

West Bloomfield, N. Y. - Samuel Adams
died at the home of John Palmer on Monday night, and was buried at Ionia on Wednesday afternoon. Rev. Newton W. Bates, of this place, officiated. He leaves, besides his wife, one child.

From Geneva Daily Times 20 April 1909

Naples, N. Y. - M. Tip Adams
died at his home Sunday of pneumonia, aged 69 years.

From Ontario County Times 4 May 1892

East Bloomfield, N. Y. -  Oliver Edwin Adams,
aged 66 years, grandson of John Adams, one of the first settlers of this town, and in fact the pioneer, died after a few days of severe illness, and was buried last week Wednesday, the 27th of April. He leaves a widow and three sons, Charles of Lima, John and Frank of this place; and one daughter, Mrs. Julia Babcock of Connecticut, to mourn his loss.

From Ontario County Journal 7 February 1890

Captain W. W. Adams, an old and respected citizen of Victor, died there last Monday, aged 84 years. He had an attack of the grip, which resulted in congestion of the lungs. He was formerly a seafaring man, but had lived in Victor the past 50 years. He leaves a widow and five children.

From Penn Yan Democrat 22 August 1924

Died at her home in Gorham, Wednesday, August 20, Mrs. Eleanor Adamson, aged 52 years. Mrs. Adamson is survived by her husband, Charles T. Adamson; three daughters, Mrs. J. W. Thompson of Palmyra, Mrs. Alexander Lane and Mrs. L. C. Fake of Gorham; one son, Frederick, at home; mother, Mrs. Frances Bateson; and brother, James Bateson of Gorham. The funeral was held Saturday afternoon with burial in Gorham cemetery.

From Penn Yan Democrat 7 December 1923

Died - in Gorham, Monday, December 3, James Adamson, aged 90 years. He is survived by three sons, John and William of Rushville, and Chas. of Gorham; and one sister, Mrs. Jane Jones of Battle Creek, Mich. The funeral was held on Thursday, Rev. Bushgetour, of the Gorham Presbyterian church, officiating. Interment in Gorham cemetery.

From Penn Yan Democrat 14 April 1916

Died in Gorham, April 12, 1916, Mrs. Kate Adamson, aged 80 years. She leaves her husband, James Adamson, three sons, Charles, William and John, of Rushville; eleven grandchildren and five great-grandchildren. Miss Catherine Gillies of New York, one of the grandchildren, has been in Gorham assisting in caring for Mrs. Adamson during her illness. The funeral will be held on Saturday afternoon at the house at two o'clock, and at the Gorham Presbyterian church at 2:30, Rev. A. B. Temple, of No. 9 Church, Seneca, officiating.

From Penn Yan Democrat 20 February 1925

At Rushville, February 13, 1925, Mrs. William A. Adamson, aged 57 years. She was born at Addison, N. Y., a daughter of Isaac and Celia Sawtell Craft. On February 13, 1888, while staying with an aunt at Ferguson's Corners, she was united in marriage with William Adamson, of Gorham, who survives her. A large part of their married life was spent at Hall, but twelve years ago they came to Rushville, where they have since resided. They had three children, two of whom are living, James Adamson, of Rochester, and Mrs. Hazel Thomas of Rushville, who has cared for her mother most tenderly through her long illness. Mrs. Adamson also leaves three grandchildren, Eleanor Voak, who has resided with her grandparents since infancy; and Theron and Clyde Voak, of Voak, N. Y. The Funeral services were held from the home at 2:30 o'clock Tuesday afternoon, Rev. H. B. Withers, pastor of Rushville Congregational Church, officiating. Burial was made at Rushville.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 21 May 1930

Geneva, N. Y., May 20 - Mrs. Bridget Addona,
widow of James Addona, died yesterday at the home of her son, Alexander Addona. She leaves her son; two daughters, Mrs. Joseph Capozzi and Mrs. Charles Bruno; and a sister, Mrs. Angelina Zello of Geneva. Funeral tomorrow at 8:30 o'clock from the home.

From Geneva Advertiser Gazette 11 May 1905

Died, in Rochester, May 4, 1905, Mrs. Carrie Adriance, nee Crittenden, formerly of Phelps, aged 63 years, daughter of the late Israel Crittenden. The remains were brought to Phelps for interment. She is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Marshall of Medina and Mrs. Gregory of Rochester. Two brothers and three sisters remain of her own family, one of whom is Mrs. R. C. Boyd of Oaks Corners.

From Geneva Advertiser 10 September 1895

William Adriance,
the father of Mrs. Irving Corwin, died from the effects of his paralytic shock, and was buried in Phelps last Wednesday afternoon. His age was 62 years.

From Ontario Repository and Messenger 26 March 1873

We learn that on Sunday last, between the hours of one and two p.m., Horace Adsit, aged about 38 years, son of George H. Adsit, an old resident and respectable farmer on the road leading from Gypsum to Phelps village, about one and a half miles northeast of Clifton Springs, was found suspended by the neck, by means of a rope attached to the timbers in the upper story of his father's barn. When discovered and cut down, Adsit was quite dead. No particular cause is assigned as the reason for his self destruction, but the presumption is that he was slightly deranged at the time of committing the rash deed.

From Naples News 23 February 1899

John W. Agard,
at one time a resident of this village, died at his home in Garlinghouse, Wednesday of last week. He had been ailing for a long time. His age was seventy years.

From Rochester Democrat & Chronicle 1 August 1936

Died, Mrs. Rose Agovetta, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Vincent Martino of Canandaigua. Surviving are two daughters, Mrs. Vincent Martino and Mrs. Joseph Martino, both of Canandaigua; two sons, Sylvester Agovetta and John Agovetta of Rochester; two sisters, Mrs. Dominic Lombardi and Mrs. Antonio Maradofi; and one brother, Charles Lemma, all of Canandaigua; 10 grandchildren and one great-grandchild. Funeral from the home of Mrs. Vincent Martino Monday at 8:30 a.m. and at St. Mary's Church at 9 a.m. Burial in Calvary Cemetery.

From Geneva Daily Times 4 August 1906

Mrs. Bridget Ahern,
aged 79 years, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Thomas Kirby, No. 48 Middle street, at 1:45 o'clock yesterday afternoon. The cause of death was general debility. She is survived by three daughters, Mrs. Peter Skinner of Phelps, Mrs. James Guinan and Mrs. Thomas Kirby of Geneva, and one son, Michael Ahern of Lyons, and one sister, Mrs. Thomas Kennedy of Buffalo. The funeral will be held Monday morning at 8:45 from the home and 9:15 from St. Francis de Sales church. Interment will be in St. Patrick's cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 3 January 1919

Frederick Ahrens, aged 74 years, passed away at Memorial Hospital on Wednesday of heart trouble. He had been residing with his daughter, Mrs. George Miller, west lake shore, and he was removed to hospital on the day of death. He had been in failing health for some time. He leaves four daughters and two sons, Mrs. George Miller, of South Bristol, Mrs. Albert Warren and Miss Evalena Ahrens of Canandaigua, Mrs. John Braun of Naples, Charles F. Ahrens of Canandaigua, and H. C. Ahrens of Toledo, O. Funeral services will be held from the Ahrens and Breen undertaking rooms. Tomorrow afternoon at 2 o'clock, Rev. L. L. Taylor will officiate and interment will be made in West avenue cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 16 June 1916

The death of Mrs. Friederika Ahrens, wife of Frederick R. Ahrens, occurred at her home on Fort Hill avenue, on Sunday morning, following a short illness. Deceased was born in Germany 69 years ago, but the greater part of her life had been spent in Canandaigua. She was a member of the Congregational church and possessed in an exceptional degree the lovable traits of a Christian wife, mother and friend. Her love of home and all by whom she was surrounded characterized her whole course of life. There survive, besides her husband, two sons, Charles F. Ahrens of Canandaigua, Herman of Toledo, O.; four daughters, Mrs. George Miller, Mrs. Albert Warren, Misses Minnie and Evalena Ahrens of Canandaigua. Rev. Livingston L. Taylor officiated at the funeral services on Tuesday afternoon. Interment was in West Avenue Cemetery.

From Ontario County Journal 19 July 1889

Naples, N. Y. - Mrs. Lydia Aiken, the last of a large family closely identified with the Naples history, died last week. She was also the last 1812 pensioner in this vicinity. The whole family of nine children now lie together in the Hunt's Hollow cemetery of this town. Her name, when a girl, was Lydia French.

From Geneva Daily Times 4 October 1905

Canandaigua, N. Y. -
Relatives and friends learned yesterday of the death at Rochester State Hospital Monday night of John P. Aikens, aged 58 years, a well-known resident of this village, who had been at that institution for several months. The remains were brought here yesterday and the funeral services were held at the home on Center street this afternoon under Masonic auspices, he having been a long time member and officer of the local lodge. He was also a veteran of the Civil War -- one of the youngest to go out from this section. He was a member of the 16th Heavy Artillery, and was connected with the local G. A. R. post. Besides his wife, two sisters, Mrs. Libbie Bailey and Mrs. Mary Bartliff, both of this village, survive.

From Victor Herald 30 September 1893

Hon. Stephen H. Ainsworth,
a well-known citizen of West Bloomfield, died on the 20th inst., at the age of 84 years. He was one of the wealthiest and most respected men in that town. He began life as a poor boy and made a success of whatever he undertook. For many years he was an extensive grower of nursery stock, and it was here that he accumulated a considerable property. He was a friend and companion of the late Seth Green, who is known as the father of fish culture in this country. Mr. Ainsworth took a great interest in all public improvements in his town. In 1860 he was sent to the legislature from the western district of this county, and always took a lively interest in the welfare of the Republican party. Besides his wife, he leaves one daughter, Mrs. R. M. Peck, of West Bloomfield.

Return to the Ontario Co. GenWeb page

             Copyright © 2002-16, Ontario County NYGenWeb and each contributor and author of materials herein. All rights reserved.